Speaker 1: So our next guest started calling into the radio show, and he was practically a child, and we called him Tim the Lawyer, and he was a lawyer, and he would call in and correct us when we were wrong, or helping us out when we didn't understand something like that. And he was a fan favorite. And that was many, many years ago. And his more grown up name is full name is Tim Sandifer. He's actually the vice president of legal Affairs at the Goldwater Institute. He's an adjunct scholar whatever that is, with the Cato Institute. And he writes books, including this new book Proclaiming Liberty John Adams, Thomas Jefferson and the Declaration of Independence by Timothy Sandefer. I hold a signed copy in my hand. I started listening to it last week. I got the audio version.
Speaker 2: Tim. Welcome to the Armstrong and Getty Show.
Speaker 3: Thanks for having this old, worn out old man on your show. Jack.
Speaker 2: How old were you when you started calling in? You had to be young.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, well it must have been twenty twenty five years ago or something like that, so I was in my mid to late twenties.
Speaker 1: Cool, I'm listening to your book. Do you consider listening to books counting as reading it.
Speaker 3: Oh, yes, definitely, Otherwise I would have to say that I'd read half as many books as I actually have.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know some people don't count it that way. I actually feel like I retain information better hearing it than reading it. I know different people's brains are different on that, but I started listening.
Speaker 3: To different kinds of books too, you know, long, long fiction books like the great classics like Victor Hugo or Charles Dickens. I would probably never get through those on paper. I much prefer and they were actually written with the intention to be read out loud when they were originally published in the nineteenth century, so I think there's nothing wrong with that. However, if you listen to the audio of my book, you're missing out on one hundred pages of some of the finest footnotes.
Speaker 1: Not to get distracted, but I'm halfway through Ulysses for the second time.
Speaker 2: Oh poor thing. It's awesome. It's my favorite thing I ever read.
Speaker 3: Why would you do that to yourself?
Speaker 1: It took my whole life to get to where I could read it, though I started it like ten times throughout my life and gotten like a chapter in and thought, this is the ridiculous and a wasted time. Somehow I reached the point by like training my brain through harder and harder literature that I now can fully enjoy it.
Speaker 2: And it's the greatest thing ever. Anyway, I don't want to get off on that.
Speaker 1: So coming up on July the fourth, it will be the two hundred and fiftieth anniversary of you know, the signing of the Declaration.
Speaker 2: No, not the we signed it on January.
Speaker 1: We voted for it on July second, because I know John Adams thought that would be the date that would be remembered throughout history. They voted for independence on July the second, seventeen seventy six. They signed it on the fourth of July. You've got this book out this year, in this year where we're all taking a look at the founding proclaimed proclaiming liberty.
Speaker 2: What's it all about? Tim?
Speaker 3: I wanted to tell the story of the origins of the Declaration of Independence, and that includes a lot includes a lot of things that are frequently left out. For example, in the seventeenth century in colonial America, there was a rebellion against Great Britain that a lot of people don't talk about. One hundred years before the Declaration of Independence, Britain went through or England at the time went through a civil war, and that civil war had effects in colonial America, and in fact, the King of England created a dictatorship in the New England States and put a single dictator named Edward Andros in charge of what he called the Dominion of New England, who imposed taxes without legislative consent and all this sort of thing, and Massachusetts settlers rose up and overthrew him, and people don't know about that story. I also wanted to talk about.
Speaker 1: I don't know that story, and I've read a lot of founding stuff, so that's really interesting.
Speaker 3: And I wanted to talk about what specific things Parliament was doing to the Americans that take them off. I wanted to go through the declaration claused by clause and say what each of these grievances specifically refers to, because I think a lot of people don't know when they read the declaration what exactly is being discussed. When the declaration says like he has refused his assent to laws that are wholesome and necessary, what laws were they talk? So I go through each of them and talk about that and I want to put the whole story in a narrative story, and in telling it not like facts and dates, but telling like about Jefferson and Adams and their friendship and how they grew together through the summer of seventeen seventy six.
Speaker 2: So that's fantastic.
Speaker 1: I wish I said earlier on if you heard me say this, I wish I'd have had you as my eighth grade history teacher, or any migrates. It's amazing how many teachers, you know, and I you know you're doing your best, can take such an exciting story and make it so dry. Yeah, because the whole founding story, it's really a miracle that it turned out the way it did, isn't it.
Speaker 3: It really is. There are so many moments when things could have all gone wrong, and just almost by accident or by because you know, the slowness of communications back then was a big factor. So for example, you know, by the time the British finally got around to sending a commission to negotiate with the American colonist, that commission did not arrive until ten days after independence had already been declared, And so all these little things that could have changed the outcome that just didn't. It's really remarkable when you go through that list. Yeah, it is unfortunate that history teachers sometimes make the story boring, which is really remarkable because it's such an exciting story. And I was very lucky that my history teachers, for the most part, really were good about talking about these things in a way that really made you think, well, what I have done if I had lived back then? And I think that's really the key to understanding and appreciating this history.
Speaker 1: Ah, that's a good way to look at it. Man, there's so many different directions I could go with this. I know you're such a big fan of the Declaration of Independence. Where does it rank as our founding documents?
Speaker 3: Well, that is one of the arguments I make in the book. So if you ask most lawyers today, unfortunately, most lawyers would say that the Declaration of Independence really isn't a law.
Speaker 2: In fact, Justice.
Speaker 3: Barrett, when she was going through a confirmation hearings, was directly asked about this and she said, the Declaration of Independence is not law, and that's completely wrong. Of course, the Declaration of Independence's law. It's part of our constitutional documents. There are four of what they call organic laws of the United States. That's the Articles of Confederation, the Constitution, the Northwest Ordinance, which organized the territories in the Northwest United States, and the Declaration of Independence. And I think it's important for lawyers particularly and judges to appreciate that the Declaration isn't just a statement of rhetoric. It creates a rule about how American government ought to operate, and that is to respect the rights of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. And the classical liberal political philosophy that informed the writing of the Constitution. And unfortunately, lots of lawyers and judges today shrug at that, and they don't care about those principles, or they don't think that they're binding, or they think that they're just matters of opinion. It's not a matter of opinion. It is a fact of the war. That all men are created equal, that they are endowed with life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. These are not just statements. These are as true as the idea that two molecules of hydrogen and one molecule of oxygen I mean atom makes a molecule of water absolutely a verifiable fact about existence.
Speaker 1: I don't want to get off on why some of those scholars or teachers might want to downgrade the Declaration of Independence because they want to because they're neo Marxist who want to destroy the country. Won't get off on that does. What did the Founders mean by pursuit of happiness?
Speaker 3: Well, they meant a lot of different things, but the most important thing that's often neglected today is economic freedom. The Founders, by pursuit of happiness, they meant your right to put your skills and knowledge to work, to provide for yourself and your family, and to build up as fortune if you want to, to care for your economic circumstances. They understood that a lot of people came to America with nothing to their name. A lot of colonists had arrived here with nothing, and they had put their skills to work and built up businesses to provide for themselves and their families or farms or whatever. That's the foremost thing that Thomas Jefferson means when he uses that phrase pursuit of happiness. A month before the Declaration of in attendance, the Virginia Declaration of Rights had been published, the very first bill of rights in the world. And it says every person has a right to pursue and obtain happiness and safety to acquire property for that purpose, and that's what they're referring to. Unfortunately, a lot of pseudo scholars say, well, the Founders didn't believe in property, that's why they took out the word property and said pursuit of happiness instead.
Speaker 2: That's nonsense.
Speaker 3: Of course, the Founders believed in the essential importance of property rights. But the pursuit of happiness is how people who don't have property acquire it, right, It's freedom of opportunity. That's what they meant by pursuit of happiness.
Speaker 1: That's I want to talk about that specifically. First, I got to tell you about Simply Safe. We'll be back with Tim. Simply Safe is it's right there in the name, simply Safe. It's simple to set up, it's a home protection system. It's a security system. It's simple to order, it's simple to set up, and it's simple to use. And all those things need to happen for you to actually have a security system that you're going to use a your home, because I don't know if you've had one or seen them before that they're so complicated you just never go around to or they always went off accidentally because of this or that. Simply Safe it's fantastic. You go to the website, you set it up, you customize it for your home. You ordered, it gets there fast, could take thirty minutes to set up like it did for me, the sensors and the cameras and all the different sort of stuff. If you need help, they've got help available to set the thing up. Be can set it up on your own, and then you've got this amazing protection that five million people like me use and there are no contracts or anything like that. It's not that expensive. They earn your business every single day, and you'll keep using it like I did. We trust simply say our listeners will get fifty percent off a new system right now, and you sign up for propression professional monitoring and your first month is free, by the way, by visiting simply safe dot com slash armstrong. That's half off at simply safe dot com slash armstrong. There's no safe like simply Safe. The whole pursuit of happiness thing and uh equal opportunity? What where were the founders on equal outcomes? Which seems to be such you know, a big thing in modern America that there are if there are people that have more than others, then clearly we've got some sort of systemic problem.
Speaker 3: They were very firmly against that idea. You know, it's funny that this idea gets floated around today as if it's some new modern idea that nobody's ever thought of before. But the Founders are very familiar with this idea. Plato had written about it thousands of your years before. And the Founders Founding fathers sounded disgusting and the and they and very dangerous. You know, if you if you redistribute property rights because you think that you're going to make everybody everybody else's friend, the result is actually going to be disaster. Nobody's going to care for their property. People are not going to put their efforts, their best efforts into their work, and they're going to resort to politics, which is to say, coercion instead of negotiation and bargaining and exchange. So Jefferson it believed that there were certain existing laws about private property at the time that were obstructions to economic freedom, and he wanted to get rid of those. And so sometimes you'll read things that they write about how it's important to create better opportunity for the poor and things, but that was how they wanted to do it. They wanted to get the roadblocks out of the way. But the idea of equal outcomes, they were very familiar with it, and they rejected it as contrary to the fundamental rights they were fighting for. The right to pursue happiness means that if I go out and I work hard and I develop a fortune, or if my father goes out and works hard leaves me a fortune, then I have the right to those things. Nobody has the right to take them away. You know. The other day, what's their name? That socialist congressman.
Speaker 2: From New York?
Speaker 3: His name, I can never remember.
Speaker 2: Aoc she was saying.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she was like, well, you can't earn a billion dollars, and Tim popples to earn a billion dollars with Well, I didn't earn my lungs and my liver and my heart either, But they belong to me, and you're sure as hell better not think that you have a right to them because you need them or something. Absolutely not. Of course, not their mine, because I didn't hurt anybody to acquire them, and so that was the view of the Founding Fathers. As long as you didn't commit a crime or something, then that property is yours and nobody has the right to take it from you, and if they try to, you're setting the rules up for violent civil war.
Speaker 2: The book is Proclaiming Liberty.
Speaker 1: If you want to learn more about this from Tim sand for Tim can you stick around for a while, Yeah, because I got a question I've been wanting to ask you about this, all this kind of stuff and a few other things that will fit in with the news of the day around this issue and our Founding Fathers.
Speaker 2: All on the way. Stay right here.
Speaker 1: Hey, I downloaded the audio version of Proclaiming Liberty. Maybe you want to get the paper version if that's what you're into, uh, or you read done Ken Kindle or whatever you do. Proclaiming Liberty by our friend Timothy sand for John Adams, Thomas Jefferson and the Declaration of Independence. Tim is joining us today. So, Tim, I was talking to a super smart friend of mine years ago and all this sort of stuff like we are, and I remember we were having the classic conversation of if the founders were you know, if you dug them up and could re animated Mursa and they were alive today, what would they have to say? And his thought was he thinks the first thing they would say, oh my god, it worked.
Speaker 2: What do you think. Yeah, well, that's not a bad answer.
Speaker 3: Jefferson I don't think would have said that. Jefferson was confident that it would work, and he believed in uh, he had confidence in change. He thought people would go wrong and make a lot of mistakes, but that eventually they would realize their errors, and that there was really no better option than to trust the people of the country to run the country themselves, because you can't come up with a system that is going to protect the people from themselves. That's a futile undertaking. John Adams he was a little bit more cynical about things, and he was very worried that certain forces would undermine the American constitutional system. And you know, it's so impossible to really compare their vision with hours because there's been so much change that it's like there's a old saying the past is another country, and so that's really the way to think about it. However, I do think they would be The one thing that they feared most of all is that Americans would get so rich and so comfortable that they would care, oh, where you're going to seek to care about the principles that that underlie the system, right, And that they would care more about their next fried chicken meal than about whether or not Iran gets a nuclear weapon. That you know, that sort of thing was really concerned them because that's what had destroyed Rome, right, and they were afraid that something like that would happen here.
Speaker 1: Well, that seems to ring true. Does it their next next Netflix special or whatever? I was watching the President meeting with Chi yesterday in Tianaman Square there in front of the Great Hall, and they.
Speaker 2: Got giant portrait of Mao up there.
Speaker 1: I mean, the fact that the doesn't get more remarked upon to me is amazing. If if our experiment doesn't continue to work, the whole world could end up like communist China so easily.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's no there's nothing. We have been given, no guarantees that the civilizations of Egypt and Rome were not also given.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's absolutely amazing, And that's why I think books like yours proclaiming liberty are so important. I know, Fourth of July is one of your favorite holidays. Are you enjoying taking in and all the stuff leading up to it?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yes, absolutely so.
Speaker 3: My wife and I have this little tradition where we spend the July fourth in a different state every year, and so this state, we're gonna spend the whole week in Charlottesville, in Thomas cools hometown and hang out with mister Jefferson himself.
Speaker 2: Jefferson your favorite founding father.
Speaker 3: Oh yes, Jefferson is, with all due respect to my wife, my favorite person who has ever lived in history. And told I said this in front of her a while back, and she smiled and nodded and said me too.
Speaker 2: So wow, well, and that's why you toured together.
Speaker 1: Right of course to me too, I like him better than you also, so we're even. That is fantastic. That is a funny note and a great way to end. That's really great, Tim Sanderfer. The book is proclaiming liberty. You can listen to it, you can read it in paper, you can read it on kindle, or however you do it. Thanks Tim, appreciate your time today.
Speaker 2: Thank you Jack. That is really funny.
Speaker 1: You get two lawyers who are super into personal freedom and property rights and all that sort of stuff, and they each look at each other's eyes and say, my favorite person who's ever lived is Thomas Jefferson.
Speaker 2: Me too. That is great.
Speaker 1: Armstrong and Getty