Speaker 1: Are you leaving? I you wanna way back home? Either way, we want to be there. Doesn't matter how.
Speaker 2: Much baggage you claim and give us time and a termino and gay.
Speaker 1: We want to send you off in style. You wanna welcome you back home? Tell us all about it. We scared her? Was it fine?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: Porn? Do you need to ride? Do you need to ride?
Speaker 3: Do you need to ride? Do you need to ride?
Speaker 1: Do you need to ride? Do you need ride.
Speaker 4: With Karen and Chris? Welcome to Do you need a ride? This is Chris Fairman.
Speaker 1: This is Karen Kilgaroth weird.
Speaker 4: God, that sounded good.
Speaker 1: Thanks.
Speaker 5: We're going to uh l a X again to pick up the wonderful Kate Berland.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm excited to see her. I love caper Land. I love her stand up comedy.
Speaker 4: Sheess makes me laugh like no other.
Speaker 1: A real original, a true original. What I can't go right? Is that real?
Speaker 4: That's a real sign that I guess we have to abide by.
Speaker 1: But I had a whole plan.
Speaker 4: We had a whole plan, and now we have to go to the forum.
Speaker 1: I don't want to go to the forum.
Speaker 4: I hope it's Celine Dion.
Speaker 5: I am the form. How am I not familiar with the forum? It sounds very official.
Speaker 1: I think it's been closed for a while.
Speaker 4: And they're having a concert now.
Speaker 1: I bet you if it's Sunday, I bet you at some church event.
Speaker 4: Oh wow, I would guess.
Speaker 1: But look, here's Kareem Court.
Speaker 4: People are lining up.
Speaker 1: What are you guys doing? Jesus.
Speaker 5: We are going to Lax again eventually, and which is good because we haven't done that in a while and it fulfills our original mission statement, yes, which is we are going to take comedians to and from Lax.
Speaker 1: Or Burbank if they're weird Maja.
Speaker 4: But not John Wayne. I mean, let's not be ridiculous.
Speaker 1: No, We're never fucking going there. I'm just gonna go down here.
Speaker 5: Kate and I were both in Denver for the High Planes Comedy Festival this week, so ship this is we have to do. We it just took a wrong turn.
Speaker 1: Community.
Speaker 5: I'm not going to give you any details because let's just get out of here. Well we still can, do.
Speaker 1: You think I could go left? Now? Keep up? And oh great, died?
Speaker 4: Why you know it's really hard to podcast with all this.
Speaker 5: It's almost like our original Yeah, it's almost like this is a bad idea.
Speaker 4: Every time we do.
Speaker 5: It, it's it's it's stilts conversation, moments of fear, sirens. I don't you sound here? How do you sound pretty great? Yep, you do sound pretty great.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 5: When we do sound checks, it will be in song for him. That's what which brings me back to the missions datement. That's what we promised America.
Speaker 1: That we would do musicals about lax.
Speaker 5: And a handful of Canadians that we will sing about.
Speaker 1: Lax and sing our hearts out.
Speaker 5: And pick up comedians at UH at the airport. So that's what we're doing.
Speaker 1: Okay, Now we're gonna go down Frenshaw Boulevard. Uh.
Speaker 4: They made famous by many NWA.
Speaker 1: Songs, many riots as well as it's probably Friday and next Friday and another Friday.
Speaker 5: Crenshaw's actually gotten kind of a bad rap because.
Speaker 4: I'm afraid, not really.
Speaker 5: I mean, there's just no what they're saying that because of certain songs and riots. But it seems like a nice street to me. I mean, you got your mom Pa sales homemads, Well you can't read it because of bullet holes, but they're oh that's nice, I know, come on, bad person's renovating their home.
Speaker 1: I like that. Everybody here seems to be a saving water for the drought. There are a lot of brown lines. I respect that. I'm not being sarcastic.
Speaker 5: I respect that, And whether or not they're doing it because of the drought, I still respect. Still respect it because that person's voting for someone. First date Assembly people on Crenshaw Care.
Speaker 1: They are active in their community. They have a a lot of gates.
Speaker 4: There's a lot of gating balloons. They care about kids.
Speaker 1: Oh that looks fun. Those are actually pretty great balloons.
Speaker 4: I say we pull over though, What are those? Mylerk?
Speaker 1: They look permanent balloon.
Speaker 4: I think those were fake balloons.
Speaker 1: Oh that's why there were so goddamn great.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they were just on rigid stems.
Speaker 1: Yes, I think those were.
Speaker 5: Not blow Those were not balloons. They were clear spears made to look like balloons. Those that were simply plastic and filled with air.
Speaker 1: They have been site specific art projects.
Speaker 4: Perhaps meant to bring more people to move into the Briarwood community.
Speaker 1: Come on, we've got these. Well, we're only about forty five minutes away from Lax right now, so Kate should be holding tight gee.
Speaker 4: I think it's fine. They were towing the plane in. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Oh that's good. It'll take a while, I hope. So did they run out of gas.
Speaker 5: Or I don't know why they tow the plane. It's almost like they land sometime and don't really have a plan. You like to think that all the planes are coming in and it's all or strategic and they're like, well, let's make sure these guys don't run into each other.
Speaker 4: What why did I I haven't had a lot of sleep.
Speaker 1: You're tired.
Speaker 5: But when you land and there's like, we don't have a place to park the plane, we have to idle in the runway and get towed by someone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like you it's like they're all in a college apartment complex where it's like, hey, buddy, can you move out of my spot?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I got it.
Speaker 5: You know I have to go to work. You sleep all day and you ate my pickle, You son of a bitch?
Speaker 1: How dare you block my way?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: And could you and your girlfriend be a little quieter at night? You know, I have that janitor job. That's what it's like at the airport nowadays.
Speaker 1: That's right, but it's pilots and stewardess is saying all those things.
Speaker 5: Oh stewardesses. They when did they just quit? Remember I mean there was some crotchety stewardesses were there. Well it was just scrumpy hair mesked off what just shoveled un ironed navy clothing.
Speaker 1: But you know what, I gotta tell you this, no matter what you say or how rude a stewardesses, I'm always on this. And I know we're not supposed to be saying stewardesses flight attendants. I'm alwaysress.
Speaker 4: I think they like to be called the air waitress.
Speaker 1: This lady's trying to make a left and she blocked the.
Speaker 4: Car in forever. I'm on miss Cleo, no.
Speaker 3: Girl, Oh yeah she she doesn't, no, no honey to.
Speaker 4: You, turned all rosy Perez on her.
Speaker 1: Ask girl. But I was gonna say, I'm always on their side because the just think of five of the biggest douchebags you've ever had to fly with, because you can think of them immediately, horrible, horrible people on airplanes. It's like they have to help out on the bus basically every day, so you know it would be great if they could keep it up and not be totally ruined by the awful awful people, especially on.
Speaker 4: Southwest people act.
Speaker 5: And I when I first started flying, you get stressed out, You're worried about your flight, You're worried about the logistics of what happens when you land.
Speaker 4: You kind of act like an asshole.
Speaker 5: Yes, when you're on an there, and if you are an asshole during your daily life, you just turn you crank it up.
Speaker 1: Well. Yeah, And these days people are so used to having everything exactly their way that as a stewardess, as a flight attendant, you have to like waitress, you have to tell people to put their shoes back on, like you have to tell people to be decent human beings.
Speaker 4: The guy next to me was a giant.
Speaker 5: He was listening to Fox News so loud that I could hear it through his earphones. And then when she came along to say, okay, put away your your personal appliances. I really don't think that's how they word it.
Speaker 1: Please turn off your stone.
Speaker 5: Stop folding laundry, sir, put it, Oh, drain your wash tubs.
Speaker 1: Everybody, don't don't play that wo She came.
Speaker 5: And said, couldn't he put away that electronic device, and he just looked at her and just kept watching it, and she just looked at him, and she's like, all right, we got an asshole. He just when we took off and when we landed, he wouldn't put.
Speaker 4: Down its thing.
Speaker 5: Amazing, And they got up and he like he was a huge He was just such an asshole and he felt I don't know if the obligation is that he flies twice a week or because I'm that way a little bit when I'm in the airport there is I'm sick of it. I'm an old hand at flying on airplanes, so I don't have to talk to my neighbor.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but if you're an old hand, then turn your shit off like that. It just makes things go faster. This idea that you should be the one that has it on last.
Speaker 5: Yeah, why don't you use your old hand to turn off your iPad if you're such a.
Speaker 1: Maybe it's because his hand is so old it's part it's crumbling away.
Speaker 4: Fly all the time. I'm an elderly hand at this, and then his hand is just.
Speaker 5: A mynooly Look at my wax like raisin fingers.
Speaker 3: Look at them.
Speaker 1: You could light my fingertips like candles. They're all made of wax.
Speaker 4: Each fingernail is like a wick. Oh, poor old.
Speaker 1: Man, happy bird that he just has his hand in there.
Speaker 4: I'm not five years old anymore.
Speaker 3: It's the best I can do.
Speaker 4: What do you want me to? Grow a finger?
Speaker 1: Five times five? The best? See, I can't. We were just talking about this last night, my friends a different how different people deal with traveling. And some people talk about how they go so crazy and are so stressed and I have to take so many pills. But I'm like my friend Dawn and my new friend Kim, who I met that night. We were talking about we just shut down and go into these bubbles. You couldn't. You could do anything to us, and we will not care. It won't matter. It's like the essential part of our humanity is completely closed off and put away in a box, right because we know it's no good at the airport or on a plane, and you don't bring it back out until you're in a cab.
Speaker 4: Maybe I do do that.
Speaker 5: I guess you're right I did, But then you have to deal with cab drivers. You might as well keep it off.
Speaker 1: Keep it off.
Speaker 4: I don't want to see.
Speaker 5: I mean, I've had some The cab drivers that hang out at the airport are not the friendliest.
Speaker 1: No, they're not. They don't seem to be okay with things.
Speaker 5: Now now they're they're very upset that you live anywhere that isn't the airport, Yes, what neighborhood.
Speaker 1: And they get mad. They don't ever know how to take you anywhere, and then they'll get bad at you if you're not giving them directions correctly. What happened to me once when I had to get dropped off in Eagle Rock.
Speaker 5: Isn't that a weird new thing about cabs is that everyone that gets into them is just a GPS machine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, where it's like, why don't you get a GPS machine?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Why don't you turn on your garment?
Speaker 1: How about ways up that they love so much, or.
Speaker 4: A Tom Tom if you want to be early two thousands.
Speaker 1: About it was Tom Tom, the original garment Tom Tom.
Speaker 5: Yes, okay, we are at Hawthorn Bulb. Yeah, you you know where you're at?
Speaker 1: Yes, I'm just going straight right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I think we're on centry.
Speaker 4: Oh okay, yeah, girl.
Speaker 3: What century?
Speaker 1: We just have to get down it and then we'll be at the airport.
Speaker 4: We are going the right way on sentry. Sure, why wouldn't This is the.
Speaker 1: Way the airplanes are going. Oh it is.
Speaker 5: Oh that's the best way to get to the airport is just look up, see where the airplanes are in the sky.
Speaker 1: And go toward them.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 1: And also that's a good thing for regular life. If you look up and there's a bunch of birds flying away from where you are, get out of there.
Speaker 4: Oh really, yeah, that means there's going to be a tasnami.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Did you see the day after tomorrow they're all standing in New York City and all these birds fly over this Manhattan and everyone looks up and just goes about their day where it's like, no, no, if all the birds are leaving, get the fuck out of there.
Speaker 5: There was a one day on a runway and it was after someone found a bunch of fish that were inexplicably dead.
Speaker 1: Adriena Delray excuse me, oh, hands above the head? Is this still because of the fifteen year old girl?
Speaker 4: Oh god, she was attracted. Oh what you set me up for that? She could have been.
Speaker 5: Nineteen, She could have She probably might if she had an old timey ace bandage on her knee like.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 5: I imagine she did it saving one of her fifteen year old friends from a pillow fight disaster. Just kidding, I don't imagine. Oh, you're the one who brought this up. You're the one that established.
Speaker 4: Her fake age.
Speaker 3: Let's talk it through.
Speaker 5: She could have been thirty. She might be have like a Benjamin Button, Gary Coleman.
Speaker 1: She's the luckiest actress in Hollywood's.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 1: What we're trying to talk about is, Oh, on the.
Speaker 5: Bread Way once, there was just fifteen dead birds, and I was like, well, the world is ending today. Yeah, And I didn't under I never No one ever explained it to me. I would think that the pilot would mention that, like, off to your left, you see these birds, they're all dead. There's nothing to worry about, and we'll have you in Denver by three.
Speaker 1: That would be uh, no one ever explained to you the old birds and the death talk. It took me that long to think that up forever. I'm just going over and over it.
Speaker 5: No one ever gave me the old birds of the death talk.
Speaker 1: They need to repay century Jesus. I mean, it's like an old country road we could take me home. Oh you were just home. Your The podcast with you and your dad was so great.
Speaker 4: Oh, thank you.
Speaker 1: Another one that I missed, which I feel bad about. But what a great substitute, what a great uh you're paying the fuck? Am I am?
Speaker 4: I though you're getting to the monomer.
Speaker 1: You've got a foothold, and you're at step one, yes, of a twenty nine thousand step journey.
Speaker 4: You're teetering on the first rung of a ladder that's rusty. Now climb, be brave, be brave up there, get up there, and be sure to paint the eaves while you're there, while you're up there with those brushes.
Speaker 1: Nolman, the Loons, I don't know.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I don't know what Norman is. But I love his wife.
Speaker 1: You know, Uncle Devon.
Speaker 4: Oh of course the Loons.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 5: I remember Now that's not a well maintained frontage.
Speaker 4: I don't know if that's from that.
Speaker 5: We are on Sentry Boulevard, passing Los Yenega, so anyone in the know knows that we are heading towards Lax so close. I am no longer worried. I haven't gotten a text from Kate, but I do know that we are out to pick her up.
Speaker 1: And she's also at Southwest right.
Speaker 4: She is on United.
Speaker 1: There's our Taco Bell Tech Taco Bell tex.
Speaker 4: Oh, our first sponsor. Wow, we used to start in that parking lot.
Speaker 1: Well we are Things change, We're past it now.
Speaker 5: People change, We're beyond this exchange.
Speaker 1: People change. Remember on Vogue was it? No, that wasn't an on Vogue.
Speaker 3: That was X.
Speaker 5: It's funny though, because then there was that band called Lonely Eye in the Future Islands, Yes, and they have that similar. People change, people change some, you know, And then it always made me think of that.
Speaker 1: Song, the song from the nineties.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that song from the nineties.
Speaker 1: I don't they went like that.
Speaker 4: It's kind of depressed. Tomorrow Yeah, that song. Yeah, it makes me go to a sad place like vacuuming after.
Speaker 5: Five pm, a mash theme song going on, just all those things at once. Well, tomorrow's just an other shitty day like that. That whole feeling overwhelms me.
Speaker 1: It's a real Venetian blinds. Feel like I've got to get out of this apartment with all the psichia.
Speaker 4: For vertical venets.
Speaker 5: The verticals makes me not want to go to Venice vertical.
Speaker 1: Venetians will kill you, that's what they say.
Speaker 5: Oh so close, dealing so close United, We are going to use United.
Speaker 1: Okay, I thought she was on your flight.
Speaker 5: Nope, no, she was on the I think we all had different flights. Okay, and leaving Denver perfect, she said out in five.
Speaker 4: This is going to work out great.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I assume she didn't pack the You know, the the Denver Festival was only two days of comedy, so that's kind of fun to go somewhere. Not even I just brought a pair of underwear baled up in my pocket.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you boys, you get to do that. It's so lucky and wonderful.
Speaker 5: I brought I mean, I of course, I actually you know what I lined. I brought a backpack filled with different clothing items and I never even got I.
Speaker 1: Didn't wear any I didn't wear anything. Every time I pack a bag like that, I look at stuff and go, I'm never going to eat. Not only I'm not gonna wear it. I'm not gonna look at this the whole time I'm there.
Speaker 5: I'm not gonna eat all these Hillshire Farms cheeses.
Speaker 1: But I need them. But what if something happens.
Speaker 4: Why did I bring this cheese basket?
Speaker 1: Do I need a serum and a moisturizer? Yes, bring it all. You're dying. Your face is dying of age.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna bring gel spray and hair pemad.
Speaker 3: I might need a moose.
Speaker 5: Okay, we have a Yeah, that was just a oh probably someone, Yes, it's oh look what just came in?
Speaker 3: Why?
Speaker 4: It's a tweet from at mob Wick of how to our new fan site. I wish we knew who set up that. You are.
Speaker 1: God bless you.
Speaker 4: Sweet sight. It's the best.
Speaker 1: It's so exciting to have. We really, Chris and I have been doing this relatively in a vacuum.
Speaker 5: Oh, it's just someone mentioning the specifics of one of my jokes on Conan.
Speaker 4: Well, thank you, Matt mob Wick. I delighted.
Speaker 5: I have to bring it up like a rich kid, and my father's buying me a pony.
Speaker 1: So in your face this summer, we're gonna have to talk to a cop here. It looks like perhaps, well do they are?
Speaker 4: It's okay to have a microphone.
Speaker 1: I'm going to just start screaming. I haven't paid my taxes in three years.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna say, I shot a mailbox with a BB gun ones is that a federal crime?
Speaker 1: Thank you?
Speaker 4: Oh, I had the last minute. He saw my microphone.
Speaker 1: He's I don't want to be on your game show, Colonel.
Speaker 4: I don't even know them rank of cops. Are there kernels on the police force?
Speaker 3: Oh? My god, colonel.
Speaker 5: Colonel Potter, Curl Potter from mass who's a policeman now in La get over here.
Speaker 4: I just saw a microphone.
Speaker 1: If only more cops were like Colonel Potter, I think we'd have a lot less civil unrest.
Speaker 5: Or my yeah, well, thank god they're not like mister Potter from It's a Wonderful Life.
Speaker 1: Har Monica Potter, the selfish actress. Ah, here we are, here, we are.
Speaker 5: Oh, look at the sirens and the pre s I can you.
Speaker 4: So many pre s I and so many sirens.
Speaker 1: Oh, it was surrounded by emergency hydroponic No, that's not it.
Speaker 5: It should be everyone quick smoked this weed I grew in using water on some level.
Speaker 1: Click.
Speaker 3: This ambulance is filled with pot.
Speaker 4: Now that's one thing.
Speaker 5: I will be able to talk a little bit more about Denver once Kate's in the car.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but it is a plays that it's so.
Speaker 5: Excited about marijuana nowadays because it's suddenly legal.
Speaker 1: There, yes, I bet oh.
Speaker 4: Perfect, that's great. I don't know what it was. It sounded like beetles crawling on something.
Speaker 1: Oh that's the what's inside my heart. It's just so I'm like the mummy, filled with beetles and rage and hatred for my common man fellow man.
Speaker 5: Because someone says the right code while the sun is in a sircond place, those beetles will fly out like locus.
Speaker 1: If you say hyberponic ambulance at lax, it's beetle time, baby, get ready for beetlemania.
Speaker 5: You might as well be repeating beetlejuice three times. There's it's so excited about marijuana there, and smoke it during shows and hand it to you. And I am a pure pressure person where it's like, hey, I can party. And some gave me a marijuana soda which has what the fuck seven ccs of whatever? I don't know, it's seven servings of a normal person's weed. And I drank right, sorry, yes, I drank this soda like it was well, a soda pop.
Speaker 1: Of course.
Speaker 5: I began starting every conversation with I'm sorry, but.
Speaker 4: It would just be like, how have you been? I'm sorry, but how have you been? I'm very high. I just went around to I was like guy telling people.
Speaker 1: I've never heard of pot soda.
Speaker 5: They have so many different ways of ingesting their marijuana there, but a lot of it was edibles and I don't doing that makes me a paranoid weirdo, and.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can't control it. I really think edibles, unless you really know exactly the dosage, are a bad idea. There's only bad stories about edibles, like I had three gummy bears and then I forgot who I was as human being and never came back.
Speaker 5: That's what I was doing, and I was I just had to make myself get quiet. I was still having fun and interact. That's the best I've ever done having eaten something. And I definitely drank a lot of it, this soda. But it was during this the Knicks brothers, who are filmmakers there that may call the Gralex videos. They're they're really great guys, and they had this like German themed uh synth pop band that did this after.
Speaker 4: Show and it was so great that sounds amazing.
Speaker 5: I posted an Instagram video of it it was very fun and in a bookstore.
Speaker 4: Okay, Kate should be along one of these. Fuck off this wave.
Speaker 1: This guy's flashing his bright's like we're on the autobahn. Suck it, Junior.
Speaker 4: Really.
Speaker 1: Oh sorry, that might have been an overreaction. No, no, no, no, no, that's not ka balloons. Oh they're so excited to see whoever it is that they just picked up.
Speaker 3: I love that.
Speaker 1: That's what I love about the airport.
Speaker 4: I'm not seeing her.
Speaker 1: Uh where is she, Kate?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: Two little girls hugging.
Speaker 5: Sorry didn't No, no, I put my jam these I have earphones in in there, very sensitive.
Speaker 4: I'm not used to these earphones. Well, I don't see her.
Speaker 1: That looks like Ellen Page, but I think it's just an eleven year old girl.
Speaker 4: One time. Oh, you're right there. She is right there one time. Okay, okay, Kate. Uh Kate. Oh kay, she can't.
Speaker 6: Oh Kate, Hey Kate, Kate.
Speaker 4: That's fine. Hi there, hiya.
Speaker 1: It should be open, I think, yeah, there should be room.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm I'm gonna write a letter to Apple about their new earbuds. Too sensitive there and they're slippery and shoot out of your ears with a passion.
Speaker 3: Hi friends. Wow, Hi, good to see you, Good to see you. Cozy thing i've ever experienced, really nice. Oh my god, this is Karen laid down a blanket for you. This that is beautiful. That's a quick text.
Speaker 1: Oh that's Chris. Great, that's popular.
Speaker 4: Good. It was saying, I'm we're right in front of you.
Speaker 1: We were screaming your name.
Speaker 4: I was screaming your name, but I don't project. Well. Wow, that person's a lunatic. Wow.
Speaker 1: It might have been at Ingebretsen.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 1: He looked at me with a kind of calm. Kate, how are you? How is your travels?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I didn't sleep a wink, y'all.
Speaker 4: I didn't sleep a wink last night either.
Speaker 1: So you guys have both been up for like twenty four hours.
Speaker 3: Last night, actually many weeks, but just now in the flight. Oh, I could not already last night. I couldn't. I couldn't do it.
Speaker 5: You didn't do the after party. I did it at the High Planes Comedy Fest.
Speaker 3: I love everyone that's there so much. And I felt a lot of you know, guilt or not guilt, but just you know, fear beaving fear. Had to just go to sleep.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what do you think would be something that you would miss out on not going to a party like that.
Speaker 3: That's the ultimate question. That of course proves that it's all just fine.
Speaker 1: Well you never know, I mean like so like for example, say Jude Law is a huge comedy fan and bought a secret house in Denver. Wanted to party, saw your set? Yeah, shows up weights all night.
Speaker 4: And that's just Jude Law before I falled it into everything.
Speaker 1: Well, or depending on your taste, exacting on what you look for in a man, because balding means more testosterone.
Speaker 4: Oh that's the case.
Speaker 3: It's true.
Speaker 4: That explains why I don't have any leg hair.
Speaker 3: Here's kind of a formal issue. Have I given you my address?
Speaker 4: No, but if you text it to me, I'll see it.
Speaker 3: Right in front of my You you're protecting my privacy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that is something that we do and we look out for. Kret.
Speaker 1: Do you need a ride in every time?
Speaker 4: But yeah, yeah, we won't be uh broad.
Speaker 5: One time I accidentally we went to were uh driving Rob Delaney and I just said all of his bank.
Speaker 3: Information, right, of course I'm talking to us.
Speaker 4: He addressed.
Speaker 5: Now, Well, it turns out that he and his family got into a bit of a financial bind.
Speaker 1: Looks we all are, we all are?
Speaker 4: Hey that's what did I called him? I'm like, hey, it's a sign of the times. It's not my fault. Your identity got stolen.
Speaker 5: Good call, and some guy who looks kind of like you is now dating your wife. I assume that's how identity theft words. I really enjoyed your set. That was that the bookstore, Kate at Mutiny.
Speaker 3: Oh yes, yes it was, Oh thank you. I felt so out of it. I think that because it was like eleven, it was a little after eleven. And the altitude. It is the altitude because I, yeah, I wasn't. I was you know, I wasn't on anything, and I just felt like I was unable to conjure words and thoughts.
Speaker 5: Well you are you? Your act is dependent on being able to conjure where it's and thoughts.
Speaker 3: They call it the conjuring. That movie, I can't believe I missed it because you know, I'm talking about Lily. What's her name? Lily under I love her.
Speaker 1: Yes, the only name I can think of is Lily Allen. But it's the little one that was in Joe Lies when he cries the guy from the Girl from say anything.
Speaker 5: That was the friend of I'm sorry her littlistic pizza.
Speaker 3: Yes, she's so scary and good Lily, she's.
Speaker 4: In the condrey. Okay, the fuck.
Speaker 1: Is her name?
Speaker 3: I guess I'll look good up, Lily.
Speaker 1: Don't do it, don't cave.
Speaker 3: Oh God from six feet under.
Speaker 4: Can we just use our brains.
Speaker 5: Let's not resort to our Google computers and our parents that are giving us cancer.
Speaker 4: Let's use our brains before I.
Speaker 3: Have mine hovering just above my ovaries. I realized that yesterday I had my phone in a little pouch touched to my dress, and.
Speaker 4: It's just just scrambling your them.
Speaker 1: Can you yeah, can you use it that way as like that you're actually aiming for cancer they have?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you can. You can download the thing for.
Speaker 1: It to just have. Let's have my cancer go right into the palm of my hands.
Speaker 3: I don't even know where we are right now.
Speaker 4: So well, we're going to Santa Monica.
Speaker 5: Okay, but we might as well get on the four or five and do or should we should.
Speaker 1: I get over?
Speaker 3: We can do it that way, we could do it that way, we can do the four. Do it?
Speaker 1: Then boom?
Speaker 4: Did you have fun in Denver, Kate, I did.
Speaker 3: I really like Denver.
Speaker 4: It was great.
Speaker 5: But you're right about the altitude. It's just your body wants something. Yeah, it's like I was hungry the whole time, but it wasn't for food. Yeah, I was hungry for sea level.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I know, having been born near the ocean, it's very it's a harsh adjustment.
Speaker 4: Is that you're one of those water babies.
Speaker 1: Yeah, where were you born?
Speaker 3: I was born in Santa Monica, Santa Monica Hospital.
Speaker 1: But you started stand up in New York.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well, I mean I started here in the sense that I started my senior year of high school kind of and was going to open mics with a laugh factory for a summer before I moved to New York. But really, you know, that was just a couple of months. I mean I really was in New York. I was in New York for like eight years or almost nine years. Cool, and then I just moved back a couple of months ago.
Speaker 5: And so you you have family and everything in Santa Monica nine.
Speaker 3: To my parents, it's yeah, and they're out here the same house I grew up in.
Speaker 1: Oh nice, that's so great.
Speaker 4: No one in La has that you and Henry Phillips.
Speaker 3: Just yus. But yeah, I'm about to stop. I'm going to be in lostulous that's what we're going to be living. And yeah, it's going to be great. It is. I love it over there.
Speaker 1: You mean you aim to live there someday.
Speaker 3: Or like I'm about to start, I'm moving into a place I'm going to be submitting for a while. I've just been kind of been jumping around and yeah, nice, it's been convenient keep the overhead left.
Speaker 5: I enjoy being by the ocean, though I don't know why. It's not like I jump in it and utilize the ocean.
Speaker 3: Yeah, not that much. I do sometimes it's nice.
Speaker 4: It's important for me to wake up and just look at it.
Speaker 1: The air is very good for you.
Speaker 5: I am allergic to it, though. I think I'm allergic to the ocean air. It's that's something about the salt.
Speaker 4: I get stuffed up. I'm not kidding for real. Yeah, I'm allergic to the ocean.
Speaker 1: Have you considered living in a plastic bubble?
Speaker 4: I think it's fish. It's like fish.
Speaker 5: Dander, too much fish for Yeah, it's just scaled dust lily.
Speaker 1: Something with a w whoa. I don't know Lily Taylor.
Speaker 3: So much. I want much more rewarding to arrive at the answers that way.
Speaker 4: And I assure you none of us pulled out our phones.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a guarantee.
Speaker 3: I actually started to, then I halted it.
Speaker 1: So we earned it.
Speaker 4: In the Conjuring, which is what I can't remember why we brought that up.
Speaker 3: Because my my act is called the Conjuring.
Speaker 4: Oh, yes, conjured.
Speaker 3: Does you know it's a big part, do you.
Speaker 1: I've seen you several times, never seen you say the same thing two times. Oh my god, No, for real? Is that Do you have like the spine of ideas that you talk about?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it totally new every time. No, it's definitely not totally new every time. I mean sometimes sure, and I've that's like what I love sort of the most. But yeah, I would say I like that words spine. I would say that, Yeah, I kind of have things that I either try to not do or just kind of hide. Yeah, or her, But yeah, I mean I definitely have stuff that I repeat for sure.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna call those the ribs.
Speaker 5: Yeah, coming off the spine than.
Speaker 1: People say you are.
Speaker 3: Rill and deriven in.
Speaker 4: Filled with dust. So you do need to be kind of feeling it?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Yeah, and I mean they were. I mean I've really I've been in Denver a few times now and it's just the crowds are so great and it's like the comedians sit up front and watch, you know.
Speaker 5: And this was it was different than the last few times I've been to Denver where they at those shows we were doing, people weren't necessarily openly smoking weed.
Speaker 4: Like last time I was.
Speaker 5: There, the audience was so high because they were really excited about their new legal weed that I thought, oh, no, you're getting you're getting too stoned, you're all. But at this, at this festival, it seemed less like that. People were just excited about comedy.
Speaker 3: That's h that's I know, the weed thing. It's like I had one like can of paps the whole time. It felt like it was just amplified so much, again because of the altitude. Yeah, and yeah, I took like one swig off like a weed elixir last night after my show, after the conjuring, after having conjured, I decided to slip to invert slightly. And yeah, I had a whole, a whole bottle of soda.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and it made me a little out of my mind.
Speaker 1: Wow, can imagine I think I just drove past the four or five.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's weird. There was no on ramp.
Speaker 3: This is better, right. I want to immerse myself in the real culture of Yeah, I haven't.
Speaker 5: I haven't been to the Century Boulevard warehouse district.
Speaker 1: This is where it's at. This is where people think that like house music came out of Manchester in the nineties. It was right fucking here at.
Speaker 3: The corner of Oak and Florence. Yes, gorgeous viral.
Speaker 1: Carpets, Happy Monday fans. You've never heard of again, the Stone Roses. I want to go to Denver. Everybody raves about it. Everybody. There's all kinds of great comics coming out of it. I just hear about it all the time there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and people are just so warm and they embrace you.
Speaker 5: How many people were at that We were at the mc nichols building last night.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was packed with.
Speaker 4: All young, very excited about comedy.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I didn't even do a show yesterday. I just did a live pod. I just did. You made it weird.
Speaker 4: It seemed like most of us were only scheduled for one show.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was very low.
Speaker 1: Everything.
Speaker 4: All of our tires are flat.
Speaker 3: A lot of eager young citizens.
Speaker 4: They were they were eager and young.
Speaker 1: That's great. My day used to go down the road and perform for drunk people who were on mirrored dates and didn't know why they were there.
Speaker 4: In my day. Yeah, there's still towns that are like that.
Speaker 5: That's why Denver really stands out, because like when I went to Philly, it was.
Speaker 4: Yeah, hold, hold, the bottom dropped out of me.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 5: That was a horrible time to have brittle femurs. And so what do you have next, Kate?
Speaker 3: Oh, you know, a couple grind I don't know. Yeah, I'm in LA I might be going out of town a little bit soon. Things are you know. It's also up in the air, y'all. Yeah. Yeah, the next time, I think I'll be like sort of trying. I mean, I have like a night in San Diego and then I'm doing Bensen Ball and do you see, Yeah, I'm excited about that.
Speaker 5: Started that and the first year of it it was the best, most well organized festival, and then there was some sort of a mix up like they wanted to run it without her or or whatever. They couldn't come to an agreement. But then whoever, whoever that was, that individual is gone now and so she's back to being part of her the festival she started.
Speaker 4: Thank God Benson.
Speaker 5: It's named after the first guy ever to have died from laughing, right, and so that's what that name.
Speaker 4: It's not after the popular TV show with Robert Gooyom. I don't know his name anyway.
Speaker 1: I love that.
Speaker 4: It'll be great, That'll be great. Have you ever spent time in DC?
Speaker 3: I've done I've performed. Yeah, well I think I've been there three times. I've been there three times just doing stand up. And then I was opening for this musician, father John miss T.
Speaker 1: I love him. I really want to see you open for him because I thought that that was the coolest combination.
Speaker 4: I just did fun.
Speaker 1: Never got it together.
Speaker 3: Oh man, Yeah, it was really fun and getting to, you know, just do crazy like there. We did nine thirty Club, which is like a really cool, like pretty big venue.
Speaker 5: So did you go around the city and look at the buildings that are on our money?
Speaker 3: I spent no time immersed as I am. Now this is Randy's Donuts.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's it.
Speaker 3: I've never This angle is really exacted because the side of the dout. Yeah, all associations on.
Speaker 4: The profile of a big brown donut. Really it's more.
Speaker 1: Of a buttermilk bar this way.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean, I'm not going to say what it looks.
Speaker 1: Like to me, A big piece of shit.
Speaker 5: It looks like a big, long piece of shit to up of a building.
Speaker 3: It is stunning. We love it.
Speaker 1: I love La Randy Donuts.
Speaker 3: Why I loved I bet they've got to be Yeah, they've got to be a sign like that.
Speaker 1: They better be.
Speaker 5: If you're going to make a thirty foot tall donut, you better know how to make the little ones.
Speaker 1: I was just going to say that would be awesome if you went in there and all their donuts were like a third of the size of normal donuts.
Speaker 3: Little angels, Yeah, that's false advertising.
Speaker 4: I want a donut the size of the one on your roof.
Speaker 1: Well you can have a little angel if you want.
Speaker 3: Anyway. Oh yeah, so d you see.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Well the first year we did it, there was fun activities and one of them was a tour of the White House, and I really yeah, And I thought that if Obama was there, and apparently it was. You hear that a bunch of comedians are having a tour, you would we get.
Speaker 3: The fuck out?
Speaker 1: What are you talking?
Speaker 5: I thought that he should come out and say, you know what, it'd be so awful to be at the White House and have the President say tell me something funny.
Speaker 4: Oh, let me hear a joke. Oh no, not the president too.
Speaker 1: Nothing political.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, yeah, I don't want to split the room.
Speaker 1: He was, you know, he was hiding down in the bowling alley.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I picked up I picked up a pillow and smelled it.
Speaker 1: Oh is that legal?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I mean it was a couch. I just smelled it. I don't know.
Speaker 5: I don't know who I was looking to smell. Did they really pet you down an old Kennedy park?
Speaker 4: Uh? No. That was the other weird thing. They're like, oh your comedians, I.
Speaker 5: Believe you and had no There was security. Yeah we had to we did you'r I take that back. It was actually a lengthy security process that I almost didn't want to go through, but it was.
Speaker 4: It was fun. The best part was the art and then they had us go on these uh tours if they do a no way. It was great. It was very fun.
Speaker 1: That's larious.
Speaker 5: It was so fun to be on just look over and see you know Todd Berry or on a sea with a helmet. We all had our ridiculous helmets and everyone's on a segway. You can't be on a segue. It's kind of like a trampoline. You can't be on one without just laughing. Yeah, I bet at the situation you're in that.
Speaker 1: Makes you think of when we did you were a Bridgetown, when we were at Bridgetown, right, not this past year, but the year before. Yeah, I've done all the years before they gave away the did you did the isolation tank?
Speaker 3: Oh? I didn't, but I would have.
Speaker 1: They were giving away like, yeah, go sit for half an hour in an isolation tank.
Speaker 4: And I should have done that. I heard it was great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because a couple of people didn't. To me, that's like, I feel like I would have a nervous breakdown. I feel like I just couldn't.
Speaker 4: I guess if the opposite happens.
Speaker 3: I guess I think i'd panic. Yeah, then maybe it would push me through to the other side that you emerge, you for it.
Speaker 1: You'd be renewed, maybe intentially experience.
Speaker 3: I want to eliminate that possibility.
Speaker 5: I don't even like being in a tanning bed that closes on you and you know how much I tanned.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you love your tanning.
Speaker 5: But one time in ben Norgon, I went spurlunking into these caves.
Speaker 4: It's it's what they call it.
Speaker 5: It's a fun word, but it was, Yeah, you went down for like almost I don't know how far. I was gonna say a mile, but that would be like me lying. But at certain times it got so narrow that you're barely fitting your box.
Speaker 4: Me through these rocks, no way.
Speaker 1: Away from me, but.
Speaker 5: There's someone in front of you that knows what they're doing and they're like this way, and then it opens up into a giant cavern and it was really I want to use the word exhilarate itting for me.
Speaker 1: That's like I have a hard time going to restaurants for the tables are next to each other because when you stand up, you have to slide through and your butt goes on another person.
Speaker 3: I thought, you mean just talking, can't I'm like, I'm performing for the next table, which I just yeah, I have to like ham it up for someone that's not listening.
Speaker 1: Earn your place in the restaurant. I know, it's.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've done so many shows for Eves scrappers.
Speaker 5: I want these strangers to like me, and it's weird back on the road you're alone.
Speaker 1: I do the opposite where I always want. If I'm with a loud talker in a restaurant, I literally begin to like ice, whisper and crouch over, hoping that they will come.
Speaker 3: Down to where I have a friend that I have to do, though.
Speaker 1: I can't because loud talkers make me crazy, because it's like the people. You watch the people around you, going like, why do I have to listen to what you're talking about?
Speaker 4: Does that work? To crouch down and whisper?
Speaker 5: Now you just become a fetal position whispering ball on the floor and they're just yelling down at you.
Speaker 4: Why are you on the floor, Karen?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I bet you. It actually causes them to talk louder.
Speaker 4: Now I need to gesticulate more as well. As you're down there?
Speaker 1: Where are you going to tell me what exits take?
Speaker 3: I can text it to you. Okay again to protect the privacy of myself and my family. Yes, of course, you know I can't even live there, so go ahead.
Speaker 4: It's it's just gonna work out great.
Speaker 1: You can just let me know. I mean, when it's time.
Speaker 4: You just we'll just get on the ten. Yeah, okay, take that West.
Speaker 1: Don't be afraid to use my what I do, which is a lot of passive aggressive hand gestures where I don't say anything, but I just go like that. I love that I'm hand gestering people at home.
Speaker 3: This is I just can't get over this.
Speaker 4: I'm getting a ride.
Speaker 3: Really, this is really a gift.
Speaker 5: This was our And I hate over using the phrase mission statement.
Speaker 4: I hate that many.
Speaker 3: You stop not overusing the many, you stop over using that phrase of your mission.
Speaker 4: State exactly, You're just mission statement.
Speaker 5: Originally was to have it be called quote unquote the mission statement statement coland bringing comedians to and from the airport on colon, Yes, and so it's it's that's been the great part. It's that we're providing a service. And so I'm going to pat.
Speaker 3: Ourselves on the back as you should.
Speaker 4: I haven't had a lot of sleep, So we're gonna get on the ten right, Yeah up here, Yeah, it's gonna be okay. We still have a little time.
Speaker 1: Aside from did you go to the Underground Tunnel's Cape in Denver?
Speaker 3: Did you go to the the Hyatt whole time, truly. I mean I feel like I was just like the high Yeah, I just feel like the bed was comfortable. Many channels between the beds.
Speaker 4: They a little light guid's your way, like.
Speaker 1: Airplane, Wow, how long is the area between?
Speaker 4: It was only four feet, but fully lit. Yeah, you weren't going to trip on anything. They don't want.
Speaker 5: I was like when I saw that, I'm like, ah, they just put that there because they're worried about lawsuits.
Speaker 4: They think someone hit their head. And I'm like, well, maybe it's just they're being nice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe it's high class.
Speaker 4: Maybe it's not to protect.
Speaker 1: Did you take a bath there?
Speaker 3: That's not too I took what I call a bird bath. Okay, you just kind of splash around. I do a lot of bird baths. Actually, I didn't wash my hair the whole time. Really, oh yeah, oh yeah, so yeah, just a bird bath will do.
Speaker 4: Now, when you do a bird bath, it's it's just the sink, right you just.
Speaker 3: If I'm really if I'm really in a bind, I will brush up against the sink. But no, I find that I'll do a bath bird bath if it's the clean one, you know, mm hmmm.
Speaker 1: Well that's the reason I crouch. You go. Fancy hotels are the only place I ever take a bath. Yeah, because my own bathtub's gross. But like at a fancy hotel, you know that thing's been cleaned thoroughly, right, it's really unwinding there.
Speaker 5: Funny that you feel more your tub. It's the only one you use. You're the only one that use it. Why am I speaking like Yoda? At a hotel?
Speaker 1: Everybody so many butts anybody?
Speaker 5: Yeah, but then another another person, another party comes in and cleans it, and their butt may as well have been resting on it as well.
Speaker 1: I hear that's how they clean, just put.
Speaker 4: A sponge in their butt.
Speaker 3: I read that.
Speaker 1: I read that. Yeah, that was a disturbing article that I read in the National. Ma'am, whatever it is you're doing, it's not right.
Speaker 4: All of the decisions you made in.
Speaker 3: Your life a CRV of all things. I know, I expect more.
Speaker 1: She's clearly on the phone.
Speaker 5: Yeah, she was drifting. I started to think that maybe she was having an episode. You know how she gets, you.
Speaker 1: Know this one five D m W. She deserves it.
Speaker 3: Can you imagine if she was listening if it was live, we live, We're.
Speaker 1: Going live, is this am I in the right lane.
Speaker 4: You're doing great, okay, but.
Speaker 3: You may be forced to get in the next one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the left, Yeah, because of cuckoo.
Speaker 5: Well this one, I'll shoot us on the ten going east. So we want to get in the perfect and Kate, we haven't had a wreck yet.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, that's great to hear rest. Easy back there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm very comfy.
Speaker 1: Okay, good. I did bring you as much dog hair as you might want to take.
Speaker 5: Home underneath that sheet you're sitting on. If you do need more dog hair, it does reside there.
Speaker 1: Two dogs under you.
Speaker 3: Do you have two white ones? Are they white as snow?
Speaker 1: No, they're kind of yellow and one is looks like a Beagley color. But they're both They shed like motherfuckers.
Speaker 5: They were originally very white too, but both of them smoke the pipe.
Speaker 4: Yellow.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, so you're gonna yeah, you get it yellow.
Speaker 4: Yeah, tobacco.
Speaker 1: They got their PhDs and they just went nuts with it. What's what's your next show in La? I?
Speaker 3: Actually I've got some good ones this week. I'm doing spring up the calendar effortlessly fine four three one Tuesday. You can find me at the Pleasure Chest oh yes, Sdnesday, I'll be at Meltdown Comics.
Speaker 4: I will be at the Pleasure Chest with you. I thought i'd interject.
Speaker 3: That, oh great, yes again, both of us.
Speaker 4: That's a dildo store that they do comedy in the corner.
Speaker 5: Even it's great, it's great, it's great, there are people buying tildo's.
Speaker 1: The last time I did the Pleasure Chest, I knew I was gonna have to do the same four songs that I've been doing for what feels like twenty nine years, and I just stood on the side staring at a box of penis pasta, basically going what happened in my life. So I don't have the greatest memories of it, but it's a fun show.
Speaker 3: I've always been really wirried about like my parents or family seeing me, which I mean a lot of people have that. But once I started performing in a label after being in New York for so long, it just was insane to not allow them to come, you know, it just was like made no sense that you had to. And I didn't know what the Pleasure Chest was or something I don't know, And I and my father, my mother, and like two of their family friends came and you know that environment. I mean, it's just a sex store. It's also just like all there you can see everyone's face and every nuance of every members expression and you're kind of like, so it just was. It was highly brutal.
Speaker 1: There seems to be no I like it because I like eli and you know, I like the spirit of it and great people do it. Yeah, totally, But for as a performer, the way the way it's set up, there's no you don't get anything back. Yeah, it all goes out and then you just kind of have to be strong about it and.
Speaker 5: Rifing about nipple clamps or something that that you aren't going to take home with you.
Speaker 1: Well, and that every other person is like just space. Yeah, everyone does it.
Speaker 3: But yeah, then melt on Wednesday. Then I'm at the Improv Thursday, and then back there on Friday doing Guy Brandam's talk show.
Speaker 4: That's great. That's a great week at.
Speaker 1: Shows, back at the Improper, back at Meltdown.
Speaker 3: I believe it's at the Improv guys show. I think so.
Speaker 4: Yes, that's how I like to say it.
Speaker 1: I love I haven't done it in a long time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's fun, it's good times.
Speaker 4: It is. I like how they've classed up the joint.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all, but the audiences are so much better. But the audiences are into it.
Speaker 5: I used to not like the improv audiences, and they've they've gotten better.
Speaker 4: I think audiences are just getting better. Yeah, comedy is just getting better, you guys.
Speaker 1: Guys, everything's getting better.
Speaker 4: Our lives are getting better and better.
Speaker 5: I'm going to take the next exit, okay, and then probably take him right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, great, I know it's town Kate. When you were young, what did you want to do for a living?
Speaker 3: Just get away? I I wanted, I mean I really wanted to be an actress, you know, to be an old timey actress. And yeah that was kind of in high school. I did plays and whatnot.
Speaker 4: I think it's still in the cards for gets.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much. Could happen, Oh my god, if there any producers listening. I'm a hard worker and yeah, then I just I got. I got. I was always like into comedy, and I was a goddamn ham and was like, you know, overactive and yeah like that. But then I didn't start really getting like my when I was seventeen. I started getting really ind to stand up and just kind of listening to everything I could started writing jokes. My first jokes were like about the pope. There were like I was like a cat's skills, like a seventeen year old got to start. Yeah, so you could do a rite up here, yes or not this immediate one, but the next one light.
Speaker 5: I love the idea of writing to be an old timey comment. And that's where the bamboo cane pulls me on stage.
Speaker 1: It's going to be amazing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, completely, it was. Yeah, I don't know what I was doing.
Speaker 1: Did you go to school for theater in college?
Speaker 3: No, believe it or not. I'm on train really never took a lesson. This is it's all right from my blood.
Speaker 4: How do you know, just instinctively to speak from your diaphragm?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, oh right there.
Speaker 4: Oh guys, sorry.
Speaker 1: That's all right.
Speaker 3: It's fine.
Speaker 1: You just look at this. I'll hit that frank dogs, I can't do it. There don't here sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh yeah, I don't be a there'll be a Vaughn's parking lot. That's generic enough. They can't locate us.
Speaker 1: She may have said John's. You don't fucking know ware here.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: When there's the lady. Did you see her that scared me so bad. Look at her behind us cross rolling a cigarette. Oh that's the future.
Speaker 4: Oh god, everybody, everybody calmed down.
Speaker 1: Okay, there's no way I'm getting Oh yeah, I should drive on the sidewalk.
Speaker 3: You know, just risk at all.
Speaker 1: Let's cares. These cars are never gonna stop coming, guys, they might be Yeah, well, Kate, who is your favorite comic when you first started?
Speaker 3: When I started getting into stand up hmm, the first TIF I listened to was like, yeah, Steve Martin and Woody Allen and stuff. Yeah, it's like, well, I was like, what was I doing? Double like doubled over and laughter listening to Woody Allen's stand up like a highly duffed that. I was like, he gets it, y'all. I remember reading, Uh, I liked reading his plays.
Speaker 1: I'll like, turn it around? Did I go right here? No?
Speaker 3: Just go yeah, do a U turn whenever you can down here and then you know what, you could even go left at the next one and that would be just fine.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: It starts with an Oh.
Speaker 1: I was reading Without Feathers in high school, and I thought it was the funniest thing of all. I loved that. Yeah, that's a great book. But it also it was so clear what the comedy was, so like you felt like it was smart and you were getting it. But like looking back now would be like it was totally laid out of like it was like very hard joke, obvious, but so funny.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, I liked reading those plays, like reading Steve Martin's plays and his books. And but then the first I was listening to I got like the Invite Them Up compilation about the you know, Eugene Mermans show, Bobby Tiszale. Yeah if you this one, no, this one, but you could. Oh god, I've watched it. Okay, we're gonna we actually we need the time because we're gonna be there so fast.
Speaker 1: Devastated for sure. Simply devastated.
Speaker 3: Simply devastated. It's a great fragrance. And uh yeah, So I mean my early I mean when I first started doing stand up, I sound like I'm doing a ug Mormon impression. I really feel like I am so yeah, you can go left here? Do I know where I live? That's the big question the street? No, yes, no, no, but you could. I'm so sorry, so we were attained to do that. I'm genuine like I again born I'm born and raised here, don't know where truly, So it's all.
Speaker 1: So big, so funny, the big one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's the big boy. Okay, there she is, and I'm.
Speaker 1: Going left right, You're gonna.
Speaker 3: Take a hard left.
Speaker 1: Really, just your mind.
Speaker 3: Just put the light up.
Speaker 4: There yet ninety degree turns.
Speaker 3: This is actually kind of a scene, crowd, You're really gonna be glad we did this.
Speaker 1: Storty to her.
Speaker 4: Oh, I love Ocean Park, No.
Speaker 3: Kidding, I'm going to get out here. Actually I just pull over. Yeah, so that's where all started.
Speaker 1: I think I was. I was definitely doing an impression of Jeane Garofflow when I first started. Oh really, yeah, I couldn't. I spoke in the deepest register I possibly could manage without scraping my vocal hords out.
Speaker 5: When I started, people kept comparing me to Ellen because I just because I was stammering and stumbling.
Speaker 4: Or pretending to did you like that?
Speaker 1: Or no?
Speaker 4: Oh I didn't really?
Speaker 5: And then so then I discovered her or then and people said Bob Newhart, I'm like, I didn't don't even know he was a stand up, And then I listened to his stand up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think Ellen's what was her special with like the big moon behind her?
Speaker 1: Oh, that's the whatever that one. It was the one where she did the comeback after the I.
Speaker 4: Think that's an old McDonald simmer.
Speaker 3: There's a bratt moon behind her and she's gorgeous.
Speaker 1: I would make dlts on sale.
Speaker 3: I was obsessed with that, and I would do it for my friends. And I remember like now I'm my retrospecting, like they weren't into it, but I just was so like Philip, I just like I just loved like redoing her bits. So I did did that and then I loved like the Bill Cosby. I'd watched that a lot.
Speaker 4: That was that to me. Yeah, that was a big big Fatherhood.
Speaker 3: Yeah, them with all the colors, the famous what's like the famous one?
Speaker 1: Yea yeah, yeah, we're sitting in the chair. That is great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, chocolate cake. I watched that one a lot. Yeah.
Speaker 1: My aunt Kathleen rest God Rest result used to tape comm specials for us and we would go to visit them, like the adults would go in the front room to all talk and she would put in like Bill Cosby Fatherhood or himself or she she taped pee Wee Herman's HBO Special, like all this awesome stuff that I never would have seen, and she just kind of was like, I bet the like this, and she picked the greatest stuff.
Speaker 3: So awesome you can go left at the next light. Okay, yeah, that's that's such a good idea. That just reminded me I just had. I was like, I listened to Alvin and the Chipmunks. That's so I had a similar experience. I'd go like, I had a lot of babysitters or people taking care of when I was little, usually these like two women they are close friends with my mom, and I had this and Jane, who had go to stay with a lot she lived. I don't even know where I was. I was like in the mountains, and I remember I was once there on my birthday and I got a cherry pie and I would listen to the Albu on the Chipmunks like Christmas album it was Heaven, and I used her thigh Master. I was like eight, How old were you, I think maybe eight or something.
Speaker 5: Th Master if you if you're using it, it's all.
Speaker 3: That guys like Jerry Pie thigh Masters. And that's also when I started listening to the Beatles, which is all really rushing in at once.
Speaker 4: You described a wonderful evening I'd like to have now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've been trying to recreate it for years.
Speaker 4: So many thigh masters at my house. I think my mom had like five of them. Well, I don't know if they came and packs.
Speaker 1: I think they really. When they showed up, it was like suddenly people are getting like, oh my god, I could solve this one problem really easily, like thighs. The only problem is thies. And here's the solution.
Speaker 4: My mom used him up. She had nights thighs. Oh that sounds horrible.
Speaker 1: No, it's crazy shaped to the knee, and she'd go higher and it looked like she's wearing board shorts all the time, but it wasn't.
Speaker 3: Here's my ex.
Speaker 1: Grandpa Joe.
Speaker 3: There was an old man y'all shirtless in the cross when I was referring to you're gonna last it going okay, and then just that light, you're gonna want to follow it on through. So I keep going straight, veering left, but down the hatch.
Speaker 1: Okay, imagine a hatch.
Speaker 3: Just keep running down that hat like you're driving.
Speaker 1: You know, how like when you drive down a hatch like.
Speaker 3: That Grant Street. I lost my virginity to someone named Grant Oh, very sweet man. And every time I would drive, I'd be like, Grant Street.
Speaker 4: You lost your dreams can come true to a grown man.
Speaker 3: He was he was nineteen, you know, I was seventeen.
Speaker 4: It was very good.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: He was just barely a man. Yeah, and you were hardly a woman exactly. But after that night you both became men. I mean sou really.
Speaker 3: I mean, but you know, just lightly.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I love see.
Speaker 3: I have no barriers, no walls. That's what I've been saying for years.
Speaker 4: You know, you're an open book. Yeah, You're an open book.
Speaker 1: It's perfect.
Speaker 3: I'm overextended.
Speaker 1: Keep it up.
Speaker 4: I like when we have these moments of silence.
Speaker 5: Yep, I occasionally I really am. I feel like my body is shutting down because I I think it's obvious right now that I'm someone that hasn't slept.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm making it obvious. I've mentioned it a few times. And then also I'm I'm at a loss of words.
Speaker 1: Well, but also on this podcast, it's almost like we talk so much. Everyone's interrupting each other all the time. It's a nice change of pace to just kind of like, this is what a real car ride is like. Yeah, you don't talk like you're foaming at the mouth the entire time, right right.
Speaker 3: It really is a nice piece. If you turning at any point, keep going straight.
Speaker 1: Down that hatch, hatch all the way.
Speaker 3: It's hatch for a while, but we're hatching back.
Speaker 1: I see what we're doing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I get this.
Speaker 1: I get it.
Speaker 4: All that guy's hey, it's to not have shoes on.
Speaker 1: What if they took his shoes off?
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, maybe they thought there was something in them. They do that at the airport sometimes.
Speaker 1: Oh I found out. This is interesting. I haven't paid a couple two parking tickets in a while.
Speaker 4: Yes, I found out.
Speaker 1: There could be a worn out for my arrest.
Speaker 3: That's a friend of mine has that. Wouldn't that fink that she does.
Speaker 4: That would be a special episode if you guys, I really.
Speaker 1: Don't want to get arrested. I can't. I won't.
Speaker 4: I can't survive, not not even for an hour.
Speaker 3: They really take you in for that.
Speaker 1: I want to. They can have my fucking money. I don't. I just forgot to pay it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, if you have money, you don't have to go to jail. I think that's been proven time and time again.
Speaker 1: I guess that's true. I love this mike.
Speaker 3: For those of you listening and not in the car, it's a long tapered mic.
Speaker 4: It's very like Prices, right, Mike.
Speaker 3: Yes, exactly.
Speaker 1: When I have to use that mic, I always hold it really close to my mouth because it's such a fun gene rayburn feeling. I always feel like I get it way too close.
Speaker 4: I like to have it just kind of lightly brush my mustache.
Speaker 3: I've got about two inches good.
Speaker 1: I think that's the professional lenge.
Speaker 3: You don't want to come up on it too hard.
Speaker 1: I scare exactly. Keep those levels low.
Speaker 5: Plus, it's riddled with germs from all the comedians that we've had on. We have for a while, we were just doing sick comedians.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a couple of Ebola episodes you can.
Speaker 4: To catch, so keep the mic. At least.
Speaker 3: We're so close to you, guys. Really, I mean we're like two blocks as.
Speaker 4: Mother and father. We are taking you to your parents' house.
Speaker 3: The home in which I was raised. She used to be a supermarket.
Speaker 1: Really.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's uh, yeah, you can keep going straight, Okay. My dad's an artist and he yeah, took over the supermarket and converted into his studios like a long time ago. He's been there for like thirty five years. And then turned right at this light. That's so and so. Yeah, then he met my mom later and then she gave birth to me on the goddamn kitchen floor. No no, no, not really which used to be. I think that's a line from Mermaids? Is it on the corner so you can turn right here? See there's some signs here for a market.
Speaker 4: So cool, that's the best.
Speaker 1: Is this bad to have on the podcast details?
Speaker 3: I don't think so.
Speaker 4: It's so cool.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, it's amazing.
Speaker 4: I really love that.
Speaker 3: But then again, no one lives here. You come looking, do you worry because the alarm system is shocking?
Speaker 1: And Kate, Oh my god, it's so cool.
Speaker 3: It's yeah, it's nice to I mean again, yeah, I've it's made it easy to come visit La the last year.
Speaker 4: And a half, Yes, and get groceries and you can get you.
Speaker 3: I just want to keep people do come knocking for ice cream?
Speaker 4: All? That's so really?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it happens like you once and on maybe.
Speaker 4: For ice cream specifically.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you think it's the market if this house could talk your tongue house.
Speaker 1: My secret's safe with you.
Speaker 4: Okay, thanks for riding with us.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much. You're the greatest. This was Thank you so much, of course, absolutely dropping the mic. Thank you all for listening. And I'm still amplified that has been and land our guests. Thank you, David.
Speaker 4: Really this was I'll see you at the dildo shop.
Speaker 1: Yes, absolutely so. Yeah, it's good to see you, Okay.
Speaker 5: Kate, brilliant, everybody brilliant. It was terrific. Yeah, I think she.
Speaker 1: It really is.
Speaker 5: It isn't gorgeous there could it be more beautiful?
Speaker 4: I can't stop talking about how niceer weather is. Bye bye, Kate.
Speaker 5: Well that was terrific and a good episode. I think it's good to see you again too, Karen.
Speaker 3: Thanks Chris.
Speaker 1: I know it's uh. It's nice to have it be us. It be us, it be us at la X.
Speaker 4: I like it when it be us. It was nice for it to be us for a while, and then it was great when it was.
Speaker 5: I'm glad she jumped in the car. I was running out of gas. I'm still out of gas.
Speaker 1: Oh dude, I bet you're exhausted.
Speaker 4: It's not good to not sleep. It seems like I do that a lot.
Speaker 5: I'm always nervous before we podcast and I just toss and turn all night.
Speaker 1: No, no, nope, I.
Speaker 4: Just sleeping problems.
Speaker 1: And you party?
Speaker 4: I did party? I did party?
Speaker 1: Did?
Speaker 4: I mean?
Speaker 5: That's what festivals are all about. You do comedy to do and try and kill yourself with spirits.
Speaker 1: Yes, and just see what happens and see what your friends are doing. Oh, that's the fun of it.
Speaker 5: Do you have you ever wanted to just honk at a cop card? Now it's your chance, because that ain't a copy of that one.
Speaker 1: The real deal for sure, because I.
Speaker 4: Was gonna do wrap this up and you know, at the end of each one.
Speaker 1: We tag it with her, let's do it.
Speaker 5: I'm ready, nary, So let's do it, and we're gonna honk it a cop. Keep in mind there's a cop in front of us. That makes us all the more better.
Speaker 1: But can we just say, really quick, yes, join our fan page on Twitter if you liked you what's happening?
Speaker 5: Yes, And as always, go to iTunes and give us a good review.
Speaker 1: That helps us a lot, And thanks for listening, because we really, honestly do appreciate it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I know, I do.
Speaker 5: I know Karen does sees so from Karen Kilgarriff and I Chris Fairbanks.
Speaker 1: Oh, this guy's gonna say, Guy, I'm honking because he just cut me off.
Speaker 4: You know what, Let it happened. Okay, this has been e y n A R.
Speaker 1: There we go, I leaving. I you wanna way back home? Either way, we want to be there. Doesn't matter how much baggage you claim.
Speaker 2: Give us time and a turmano and gay we want to send you off instead, we want to welcome you back home.
Speaker 1: Tell us all about every scared her? Was it fine?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: Porn? Do you need to ride? Do you need to ride?
Speaker 3: Do you need to ride?
Speaker 1: Do you need to ride? Do you need to ride?
Speaker 3: Do you need ride?
Speaker 1: Do you need to ride? Do you need.
Speaker 4: With Karen and chriss
Speaker 3: M h