Speaker 1: It was nineteen seventy eight. I was going up for parts for various things. I read the scripted it's the part of Louis de Palma. I never watched television. Yeah, I said, you know, okay, I'll go wait, you got to make an impression, right, Yeah. I walk into office and I had to script in my hand, and I said, one thing I want to.
Speaker 2: Know before we start. Who wrote this? And I threw it on the table.
Speaker 3: Welcome to Games with Names. I'm Julian Edelman, there, Jack and Kyler, and we're on the search for the greatest game of all time. And on today's episode, we don't really get into covering Game seven of the twenty sixteen World Series between the Chicago Cubs and the Cleveland Indians, but we had legendary actor, director, producer, and American treasure Danny DeVito. We get into talking about his sports growing up in Jersey, split household. When my father was around, it was a die or a Dodger fan. When my mother was around. Come on, Mickey, what it's like sitting courtside with Jack Nicholson.
Speaker 1: We're all standing out there and ready for the ball to be thrown in the air and tip throw the ball up just as the guy's tipping the ball.
Speaker 3: And then what inspired his new show Game seven on Amazon Prime.
Speaker 1: What I liked about any sports was that playoff game.
Speaker 3: It was electric, it was exciting, like a holiday. It's a holiday. It's a holiday. And then we wrap it up by ranking our top five greatest baseball movies. Hugh, you gotta stick around to the very end. Let's go. Games of Names the production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 4: November twenty sixteen, Progressive Field.
Speaker 3: Cleveland, Ohio.
Speaker 5: A billy coach, a bartman, a black cap, one hundred and nine years, a heartbreak in Wrigleyville, bottom of the tent, two outs, the ain't run, steps up to home plate.
Speaker 3: Can the curse be reversed?
Speaker 5: This is Game seven of the twenty sixteenth World Series.
Speaker 2: My guys, so much beautiful.
Speaker 3: You want to jump into this, bad boy? I'm ready, man, you're ready, ready to talk? Well, welcome to Games with Names Today we are going over Game seven of the twenty sixteen World Series Cubs versus the Indians, with legendary actor Danny DeVito holy cow. In one sentence, Danny, why'd you pick this game?
Speaker 1: Oh? Well, first of all, I have this is what I was gonna say. I have to preface all of this with I am I was born in New Jersey. I'm a sports fan like this. My father used to take me to ebbitts Field to see the Dodgers play, okay, fucking Dodgers, like whenever I could, whenever he could.
Speaker 3: And he was a die hard Dodger fan, my father.
Speaker 1: Okay, so I was like not, I didn't play sports. I didn't do like a lot of that. Maybe marbles was my big sport, shooting a game of pool every once in a while. But like the idea is that he was like till now, my mother, they're all Italians, first of all, Okay, so they're there, Yeah, the Vido, they're they're they're from southern Italy. My grandparents are from from Potenza, from uh the son Fela, which is all the places.
Speaker 3: Maybe you don't know, but you could check out.
Speaker 1: They're beautiful places in southern Italy, Collabria, Rite down by the foot of the of of of the Peninsula. Anyway, long story short is that my mother, she's born.
Speaker 3: In the United States. She was born in Asbury Park, New Jersey.
Speaker 2: My father was.
Speaker 3: Born in Brooklyn. They got into it. They got into.
Speaker 1: The the whole sports milieu, like but from different places. So what Ultimately when I was born, I was like a late baby. I was like one one of the one of these babies, Like, look, my, what's we got? Here's a baby, you know what I mean, I'd already had she had five kids and and wonderful two wonderful sisters that were left. I'm telling you a lot of stuff, but I'm trying to get to one major thing that has to do with his question, which is about my enthusiasm for this game, for for Game seven in general.
Speaker 2: My mother.
Speaker 3: Was a die hard Yankee fan. Ooh Yankee Dodger.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, So you got a lot of elements. So you got the Italian family that are like already like at level ten. Yeah, right on everything, every on food, on this, on how Wednesday? Who's taking the garbage out?
Speaker 3: On whatever? The hell?
Speaker 2: You know this this.
Speaker 1: Kind of stuff like the lawn's gonna get moat are we gonna do? Geraniums is gonna be like this? Or the heck when are we going to do?
Speaker 2: We know, Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's like a cacophony of like conflict.
Speaker 3: I'm just thinking right now of like labor day barbecue. You in the heat of baseball season. What the fuck's going on over here? Are we having just straight fights?
Speaker 1: Over the canolis were flying? Baby, you know, can you imagine?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 1: So, like in New Jersey, I lived in a little house on Second Avenue in Asbury and I had a lot of friends. We're all we're all into punch ball. We used to play punch ball stickball in the street. We all had our our favorite teams.
Speaker 3: You basically live like, hey, Arnold, I was.
Speaker 1: I was basically like you know, uh, you know torn When my father was around, it was a die or a Dodger fan.
Speaker 3: When my mother was around, come on, mickey, you know you know what I mean. And like so, you know, trying to be make nice in a family and all that.
Speaker 1: So I grew up watching like basically watching sports at the height of.
Speaker 2: The the conflict.
Speaker 1: Like if if there was a Dodger Yankee game, forget about it. It was like the whole block. If you look at the block and you and they shut the grid down and there was no electricity, my house would be far fire with lights because there was so much brain activity going.
Speaker 2: Okay, So we lived in this.
Speaker 1: Little house in New Jersey and we're on Second Avenue, and we had a porch and if we had no air conditioning know this, that and you other summer nights brutal, you know, mosquitoes the size of you know, B fifty two's man. And it was like, you know, really like you know, so we had a screen, screens. Okay, now you got the porch, no screen in the porch. Everybody smoked. Smoke drank was like one of those things we had on you know, my father, Jack Daniels, next to him. My mother would have some kind of like sweet drink, you know, this thing smoke like fiends. But what we would do is we would take the television. You gotta get the picture, and we would all sit on the porch on a nice sofa, on a or on a recliner or a chair, and we would turn take the television and move it to the to the windows. Oh wow, okay, so you'd be outdoor televisioning watching the games.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: If Roy Campanella came up the bat, holy shit, you had to I don't care where you were, you had to get in front of that television to watch because Roy Campanella, by the way, according to my father was Italian.
Speaker 2: Okay, so and and he was. I think he might have.
Speaker 1: Been part half Italian or something. I don't know what the deal was, but wasn't.
Speaker 3: It's the pre wreck of a family favorite Italian. So Demagio was. Mom loved him.
Speaker 1: Come on, I mean, just please, is the greatest, you know. And I you know, like if in my house, if there was if Demaggio and and and and and and Campanella walking down the street and Perry Como crossed the street, forget about it, you wouldn't know where to go, you know, how to be. But it was Connie frances was in the neighborhood. Man, you were done done for any Italian.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean. I'm Jewish, but I get it. Yeah, well you know you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: You know, pee wee reese man.
Speaker 4: Okay, well, okay, we'll be right back after this quick break.
Speaker 3: So that's the the kind of like.
Speaker 1: Pad I'm trying to lay out for y'all. In terms of my involvement with Game seven, Okay, what I liked about any sports was that playoff game.
Speaker 3: I loved.
Speaker 1: I loved the World Series with no matter who was playing, right, I love the World series because it was it was electric, it was exciting.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: I loved the you know, the Super Bowl.
Speaker 1: I loved like, you know, getting that that day that game was that was like just like off the charts, you know, you you're doing you're looking at the finals in the NBA or whatever. I mean that that just you know, it's like a holiday. It's a holiday. It's a holiday, I mean, and it starts from the time you wake up in the morning on the time that giddy that you're just giddy that that ball is you know, hiked, spike, piked, pitched whatever, shot anything. That thing was like I once saw a and I digress, I'm sorry, but I once saw a great documentary call It was about the Olympics, and it was I'm trying to think of the name of it, but it was it was all visions.
Speaker 3: Of eight, Visions of eight.
Speaker 1: It was called and yeah, okay, so it was eight directors, right, and they each had access to the.
Speaker 2: Olympics and meet Looks.
Speaker 3: Foreman was one of them. Yeah, who directed Cucko's Nest.
Speaker 1: You know, there were many good directors and what they did was they made a.
Speaker 3: Movie of it.
Speaker 1: You can watch it somewhere visions of eight and it's how they dealt with each sport that they picked. They didn't do the entire Olympics, right. They would do weightlifting, they would do like something like, you know, a hundred yard dash, they would do the swimming, they would do this, they would do the.
Speaker 3: A different one. It's a different event.
Speaker 1: It was really cool the interpretation and how they dealt with it and how they made that each one. The most exciting segment of those eight segments, you know how they were going to present it, and which is kind of like game.
Speaker 3: It is kind of like this is what I'm getting, this is I'm just doing, Matthew, this is my this.
Speaker 1: Is my, my, my, my, my presentation of Danny my how I feel about all sports? Right, And so the one that I I mean, I liked them all.
Speaker 2: They were all really great.
Speaker 1: The one I I I responded to Milush was I think Milish is what was one of my favorites. He became one of my favorite directors. I didn't know him at the time. This was like before Cuckoo's Nest and everything, and and I think what he did was it was either Milos, who are another director that I can't remember his name now, But one of my favorite ones was they did the prep of each sport and how the person, the athlete, the man, the woman was preparing themselves for that.
Speaker 3: Competition physically, mentally, everything the training and the preparation and.
Speaker 1: And then what they what he did, and they were all insane, So you didn't get the whole movie to do it. You got a short amount of time to do it. And they did all of the preparations leading up to the moment when they were going to start, the moment when the flat this was going the flat the gun was going off and they were going to begin, so right up until the point where their their foot was going into the chalk block or whatever, the person was getting ready to you know, holding the javelin, and the person was doing the you know this moment and that first step, and then they intercut this really cool thing of each event. So they went through every event that that director and it was my heart almost stopped because it was like just you know, it's that level of like intensity, but.
Speaker 3: It's also the ability of the directors to capture that absolutely view which I think.
Speaker 1: Beginning which which I think and and and not to jump way ahead, but when when I was when when my partners and I Isaac Charah and Mark Messier and and folks that were were working with me on on Game seven, when I we were deciding to do the presentation the Game seven, uh uh we uh.
Speaker 2: To put this all together.
Speaker 1: The median thing I went to was what was the most I used to watch, you know, thirty thirty and and I looked at the last Waltz and you know, and I looked at and I went to this Connor Shell guy, right, Connor Shell runs words and pictures. And I went through a friend of mine, Peter Chernan, who I worked with at showtime. I don't want to forty years ago, I don't know. I was just like, it's thirty five years ago. Let's say, okay, it gives you like it gives you, It gives you chills thinking about it. And he says, oh yeah, I hook you up with him right away. And as soon as I said it.
Speaker 2: To Connor, he was in.
Speaker 1: I mean, you know, it was like a blessing yea, because in order to do what I was talking about in that movie, to get you on the edge of your seat, they did it.
Speaker 3: They did it, and you know which you know, I was watching Game seven on Amazon. I was watching in the twenty sixteen World Series between the Cubs and the Indians, and like you said, you capture the prep the storylines of the last game seven going into the game, the excitement from the player's perspective on both sides of the teams, which is an awesome thing. It's a really cool concept. And you know, the one thing that got me thinking is, you know, this is such a fucking great show. But why does he hate football? Ah, because there's no Game seven in football? No, I know, but this is.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, Now, I'm glad you brought that up because I was thinking in the car on my way over here to talk to you. You know, I'm not you know, I'm not talking to Chop Liver over here, the dog guy who's got the rings.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: I mean, you know you got you tonight as you're not, bro, you do not do not you know it's your But that preparation, that's the same thing I'm thinking, like an I'm gonna ask you that now because you know what I'm going for. What we're going for at Game seven with at Amazon, uh, with with these guys. By the way, you don't you notice it's five episodes. Howre you looking at a producer? You gotta know that I asked them to do seven. Yeah, okay, okay, sick. This is gonna be This is gonna knock you off your seat. You're gonna do five of them. It's called Game seven.
Speaker 6: Were the two that didn't get made? What?
Speaker 1: Oh? This? Oh by the way, just look up Game seven. There are there are tons of Game sevens, and I there are Game sevens on the on the dock that if we get picked up for another season, I will definitely we will have. You know, I was gonna do one with the game.
Speaker 3: Wait, wait, Jack, what Game seven do you do? That comes up to your mind instantly? That should have been made?
Speaker 6: Let me think here, Well, it was interesting.
Speaker 7: You guys did the two thousand and three Yankees Red Sox and not two thousand.
Speaker 3: And four, which both have their own games, so you grow up half.
Speaker 6: A Yankee's house. It makes sense.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, go ahead, I don't know. It's tough games, the toughest Game seven of all time. It's a very hard question because we're on the search for the greatest game of all time. So we got these lists, we've seen these games and yes. So seeing this in doc for my man, it was well.
Speaker 3: You can imagine like sitting there with the game seven's down there. Oh yeah.
Speaker 1: And so like when I went Morollo, right yeah, right, I went where I said, they say, somebody, somebody just in passing said oh, you're gonna do a cup You're gonna well you gotta tell you gotta talk to Tom Yeah, and I go, oh shit, you know, not only do I love his music and his sensibility about the world. Uh, I called him up and I think it was like, you know, it's like, Hi, it's Danny DeVito.
Speaker 3: Why Danny you know?
Speaker 2: And people take my call?
Speaker 3: You know what I mean.
Speaker 1: I'm like, you know how you have to get before people don't take your call. I mean, so I am, I've been around and so I said, you know we're doing this, blah blah blah, and I give him a runda. Man, he was like on it, like right, you know, rice, some white on Rice.
Speaker 3: He was ready to go. He killed it in that. Oh my god. He loves the Cubs. He loved he loved that.
Speaker 2: He was like just so on.
Speaker 3: It from a little boy like his story was awesome to learn his fandom of this such a heroic like story book kind of team that the Cubs were to see and get to capture how much agony this fan group has gone through over what was it one hundred and eight years? Yeah, and something like this, see and he's like a rock star, superstar, and like how it affects everyone. That's how big sport is. That's why this this concept of Game seven, which is on Amazon is freaking it's got to see watch it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, so that was that's the.
Speaker 1: Enthusiasm of it and and how it sells in a way. If I to call somebody like that like that is who has is? Uh? Is such an icon himself to say. And and Billy Crystal, who's a good friend of mine, right, Billy Crystal, you know throw Mama from the.
Speaker 3: Train, the same lady from the Goonies by the way, yeah yeah, and.
Speaker 1: God rest his soul anyway, So the thing is I call Billy Billy was like on it like like this, right, and then that damn actors strike happened because we would have had that, We would have had that one, right.
Speaker 3: But we're gonna go there hopefully.
Speaker 1: You know, God, God, from your mouth to God's ears, we have a season two, and we have a list of things that we are gonna attack and go for and uh you know, and and now let's get back to football for a second, because you you because I did say I was thinking about this on the way there. You see, the whole feeling of Game seven to me is it's much broader than just It's just much deeper and much richer than just you know, Okay, there's a series of Game seven and best out of uh seven, and and we're gonna go everybody's.
Speaker 3: You're Game six and that's that.
Speaker 1: That's gonna blow your mind and everything as a fan, as a person who you know, cares about the team, as a players a player, huh.
Speaker 3: Well you care about as a person that cares about a team, you care about two teams because your mom and dad got no.
Speaker 1: But I'm just saying that. I'm just talking about, like if you're looking at like from the player's point of view, Okay, what is it like for you? Okay, there's not It's not a Game seven. It's it's it's a super Bowl, motherfucker. You know what I'm saying. Can't give me a break, you know this was what are we talking about? Super is in the title.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Now, this is the thing you see, like people go, Okay, these athletes are training there there, it's ingrained, it's in their blood, it's in their spirit.
Speaker 3: But it's a super Bowl. You you gotta get that. You gotta do it.
Speaker 1: You don't do it, you don't do it. Okay, it's got to be a winner. It's got to be.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're just trying to capture the doer die moment moment because Game seven it's winner go home. It's it's it's the last game. You're just trying to capture the doer die moment, last game of the season. It's like Game seven could be a super Bowl.
Speaker 1: It's like a young man who's like totally passionately in love with this woman, right, and he's already bought the engagement ring, and he's way out in the foyer and and and somebody comes in and says, yes, mister so and so, will see you now. And you walk in the door and there's your father standing there.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, you.
Speaker 1: Know what I mean, whatever he is, and you're and you're going, you know what you're gonna say?
Speaker 2: What are you say, mister so and so?
Speaker 3: I am totally, totally in love and.
Speaker 1: Dedicated to your daughter. May I have her hand in marriage? Game seven motherfucker written all over it. That feeling is like, you know what I'm saying, tonight is his night? How many night right there?
Speaker 3: Would have done a little different?
Speaker 2: What will you do?
Speaker 3: So? You know, like I don't know. I just when you said going in to talk to the dad, I started thinking, you said, may I wouldn't you want to be the guy who says, hey, I'm taking your daughter.
Speaker 1: Oh no, no, man, you're a tough guy. Man, you go, you go, You're going to you going too don cor Leoni's house and say I'm taking your daughter.
Speaker 3: And see how far out the doors to.
Speaker 1: Dinner to dinner, sir, to dinner to dinner to dinner.
Speaker 6: Dinner, Jules is singles?
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, okay, yeah, just around. No, I know, I think it's I think it's it's the thing I.
Speaker 1: Have a I like and and like I say, that's what I was talking about when I say, you know, broadening it out like it means lots. Every day we go through you know this game sevens there are these decisions that that could change the course of your entire life. I remember one vividly.
Speaker 3: I was.
Speaker 1: It was nineteen seventy eight, and I was, uh, you know, I'm actor. I'd done Cuckoo's Nest. But I was like, you know, going up for little parts. People all thought I was nuts, you know, when they saw Cucka's ness. They said, this guy is like a you know, like an inmate, you know. And so I was, you know, going up for parts for various things, and the guy said to me, you have to. It was a casting director, and I meet these guys. These are the krem de la Creme guys. It's Jim Brooks, Ed Weinberger, Stan Daniels, Dave Davis. They created Mary Tyler Moore, they created Room twenty two. They wrote a you know, lou Grant blah blah, all this stuff.
Speaker 2: I never watched television.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I said, you know, okay, I'll go and I read the script and it's the part of Louis de Palmer and I go, wait, you got to make an impression, right. So I walk in the office and they're all sitting there in the beautiful you know, it's.
Speaker 2: Like like really lush.
Speaker 1: You know, sofa like this, and I'm walking in. There's a chair there and casting it. It's the guy's office. It was that paramount. There were big shots, you know, all the actors. You'd come over there and I had the script in my hand and I said, I said to him. They introduced me, and I said, one thing I want to know before we start who wrote this ship? And I flew it on the table. Okay, okay, and now I walked for one tiny little men second in terror shit and then they laughed there okay, and Louie walked into their life. Okay, So these guys are this you know? Okay, So we rehearsed the show. We had ten days of rehearsal, and we're gonna do a pilot. Now this is big because this means this is a huge show. Everybody tells me was gonna be like, it's gonna be a It's either're gonna it's ABC and all this stuff Taxi. So I am like, you know, shipping my pants all week. We're getting ready to were rehearsing. Everybody's in the same boat. We know we're doing it. We're doing the runs, we're doing the things, we're doing the lines, we're doing the you know, we do the blocking. We're there with the director. We have the same blah blah blah. And the night of the pilot shoot, there's three hundred people in the audience and I get to the my dressing room early. I always do that, try to, you know, psych myself up, get get into the mode, get in, get ready to go out.
Speaker 2: And there's a.
Speaker 1: Little plant, this tiny little plant like sitting on my dresser, and it's got a note and it's from Jim Brooks and the and the boys, and it says, huh, it's like a little like a real gnarly little looking thing, but you know, not creative, nothing fancy, nothing fancy. It's in a clay pot. And and a note says dear Danny, as Louis de Palma would say, if you don't do good tonight, you'll be eating ship tomorrow.
Speaker 3: No, what are you thinking of that? That's my game seven, baby, man.
Speaker 1: You're preparing, You got everything on the line, and you go out and that guy goes action, and there you go, and you're in front of all those cameras in the audience and whatever, and you you are you want to be.
Speaker 3: On your game. Yeah, that's like what you go through.
Speaker 1: So that's what I was getting at with football, Like what is that like? What is that daylight for you? I mean is you know, maybe somebody will say it's a blase thing. I just go and do it, But what is that like from that morning?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, Danny, I was blessed enough to play in four of them and win three. So you got to kind of refine the routine. And that's what a lot of athletes are. We're creatures of habit and we're creatures of routine. And so that specific week, you travel a week early and you're out of your your own team's facility and you're working out on in a different zone. I mean, you're doing everything to kind of a different facility. So like we were at like there zon A Cardinals because it was in Arizona, we're at their facilities. So you're doing everything that week to try to make your routine exactly what got you there. All the little things your prehab, your rehab, your weightlifting, your ball drills, your extra outs, your extra catches, you do all those exact same things that you did all year was what got you there. So that's something that I would do and you know that that's kind of that is a game seven moment Like everyone sees just that one game, but like you're saying, and what you capture in your own in game seven the documentaries, is that all the work you put in for that one moment. That's the crazy thing, Like, how did you prepare for a big role, like when you had to go do you know, the Cuckoo's Nest? Or when you had to get all disgusting and become the penguin and become or when you were the asshole fucking dad in Matilda like or when you're you know, Benedict fucking Twins. How did when you had like a real scene that you had to really well, that's that challenged you. What was your preparation?
Speaker 1: Well, in the in the in the movies, you know, in the movies and I, you know, in in sports, you're relying on You're relying on your teammates, you're relying on the coach, you're relying on the plays that are.
Speaker 3: Called the equipment staff. You're every single component. And it's the same thing in the movies.
Speaker 1: We're relying on the sound people, were relying on the camera man, we're relying on the director, We're relying on each other. Arnold and I or in Cuckoo's Nest, Jack with everybody. We had ten days of rehearsal for Cuckoo's Nest.
Speaker 3: We were in a.
Speaker 1: Mental institution in Salem, Oregon that was closed except for the upstairs floor. Was the the the real heavy duty bad guys.
Speaker 3: It was the maximum security board.
Speaker 2: And so it's all.
Speaker 1: It's all those components coming together. In movies, it gets the it's it's kind of like it's extended beyond the the making of the movie because now you have all the little elements that the director has put together in his mind, Like Daniel has done all the work on Game seven. He's put all the elements. He knows all the all the ins and outs, and how is he how's this All these puzzle pieces are going to fit together so that you the viewer can get the first experience that that that jolt of adrenaline hopefully that the people had in the stands that night. That what we're doing with Game seven. But it's the same thing in movies. What happens is it all funnels down to basically the director. Okay that the directors, Why well, because you have the director is the only reason to become a director is because the position of God is already filled. Okay, so you're you're there are many God too, Yeah, well you're God, and so you you are. You know, you rely on desperately rely on the costume designer, the makeup people, the hair, the wardrobe, the this that, the set designers, the lighting designers, all of these elements, because what's important is what's in that little little frame. That's the light that's going through that that element that's going to be recorded years ago on film these days on ones and zeros, and then that all goes funneled back into the editing room where you and your other team. It's the same team, big big different people. The editor, the assistant editor, the sound people, the colorists, the people are doing all the special facts, anything you need, whatever's going onto that element that's gonna wind up going into a place where you're gonna color corrected. Yeah, and you're gonna make the sound right, You're gonna do all that stuff and then you're gonna.
Speaker 2: Show it. That's the kickoff right there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Okay, yeah, that's that's that's the kickoff of the game.
Speaker 1: Right kickoff bag and that you could do now it's out there. Frame one has been projected, has been projected on that screen, and there's a thousand people in the audience or whatever looking at your baby.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's kind of like you know, that's what coaches say. The work's already in the bank, it's already there. Once the game starts to go with it. Now, it's gonna happen. Whatever is gonna happen, it's gonna happen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, see now.
Speaker 3: But for you though, individually and like an acting scene, like in a Game seven acting scene for you where it was a role or it was a scene that you knew you had to fucking knock out the park, you had to do really good. Like what was it like which one of those scenes? What did you do to get prepared for that in the trailer? Did you like do like a breath thing, did you fall back on your research or the character, or like how did you cope with or did you not get anxiety? Or did you know all those things? All all of the above everything you mentioned.
Speaker 2: It's it's a it's a similar thing like.
Speaker 1: What you do as a as a as an athlete, as a as a you know, uh, a player, a person who is a professional. That's that's what you do so everything, all those little rituals and all those things that you do, like you know, uh, during before you get ready to go out and do a scene, and that all all of those things apply and you and and.
Speaker 3: And they're very very very important, I mean.
Speaker 1: And then and to get you to the moment when you know, whether you're trying out for a little league where you're trying to out for.
Speaker 2: Whatever it is that gets you.
Speaker 1: You start learning those things at an early age, whether I'm doing children's theater when I'm starting out, or whether I'm doing off Broadway or I'm going to Broadway. I did a Broadway show last year with my daughter. I was really happy to do that. I need that. That was the name of the play. And uh, you know.
Speaker 2: All the rituals that she does.
Speaker 1: Every actor has their own and their method of preparing for that to get yourself turn your wheel. The emotions and the colors that you live every day, we all live them, whether it's you know, the pain, the thoughts, the depressions, the elations, all these things, and to try to funnel that into the whatever the dictated dictated by the script, dictated by what the author is saying, whether it's you know uh Neil Simon or Tennessee William bo Goldman or you know Ken Kesey.
Speaker 3: Or whatever it is.
Speaker 1: Those things all play an element into that thing, and you perform them and you prepare for every It's like every single role you play is your baby, and every part you do is.
Speaker 2: Is treated in that way.
Speaker 1: Now, I've done things like on stage where I've had some a couple of funny things happened.
Speaker 2: One thing, you know, I had a ritual.
Speaker 1: I was in a play off Broadway and it was a garage on Wooster Street. The Wooster Garage was called it was the theater, and it was it had bleachers, right, so there audience in the bleachers, and it was a thrust stage. So in other words, it just comes out a bit. And there was one step off and there's the audience and they're all there. And I'm in a play with Peter Regert, who was a wonderful actor. And this is like many years ago, and the play is called Call Me Charlie, and I play a guy who's a janitor who gets stuck in a night watchman who falls asleep and has some hallucinations that he's in a Charlie Chan movie. And and but he's in the astoria and there's all the props and everything that they shot all the movies there, and he finds himself in a that's the premise. So I'm on stage for an hour and a half, let's put it that way, and all the different characters come in and out and in and out.
Speaker 3: And I had a ritual every night.
Speaker 1: I got there very early, Like I said, I always get to the theater early. I do my yogo whatever, breathing this, that and the other thing, whatever gets you, you know, have a tee, have my whatever, and get ready put on you know, if you got any costumes to get yourself in the mode of a certain kind of meal, if you have whatever, whatever, you've chosen to take that path, that journey to your performance. And every night I did the same thing. And then the last thing, you know, you go out before you go, you take I'm gonna be on stage for now and a half to take a leak, right, you know, go out stage. Next thing, you know, bing lights are on, full house, audience, people are going. Peter Regert's on stage talking to me, and we're in the middle of the second scene, and I realized there's one thing I forgot to do, p forgot to peek. Okay, you pish yourself.
Speaker 2: No, No, here's the good thing.
Speaker 3: The football guy would. Well, that's a different story. You can't you.
Speaker 1: Know, you know you you you would have to pish yourself, your football player as an actor.
Speaker 3: I know that's theater. I know where it is.
Speaker 1: I know that down stage right there's the men's room for the for the audience, and downstage left there's the men's room that the ladies room for the for the audience. So during the scene, I start inching closer to the downstage.
Speaker 2: Left or right.
Speaker 1: No, I'm going to the right toilet. And Peter's starting to figure out something wacky here. Why is Danny changing the blocket right? And then at one point he realizes, now the scene goes on right and the audience starts getting hiped to it. Now, So I go down, I take the step off the stage, I go into the men's room right.
Speaker 2: I leave the door open.
Speaker 1: And and he's standing by the front of the men's room, and we're still doing our dialogue, and I'm pissing and and and it's going on, and the audience is all gone. They're going wild, right because they know what's you know, the dilemma. And I come out and and and I and I say, ah, you know, something like the pous It refreshes and the goes crazy, and it's.
Speaker 2: A tempting thing to leave in every night. But the playwright's not gonna.
Speaker 3: Let you do that, because improv baby, improv baby.
Speaker 2: You gotta be adaptive, adaptive.
Speaker 3: Ow. Now, you clearly have such a crazy passion for acting and directing. Do you ever think about doing a sports movie? Doing a sports movie? Uh?
Speaker 1: You know, there was a sports movie once on the on the books, but I don't I don't remember quite being a you know. The closest I came to that is I I played Rocky Marciano's corner man in uh, in a wonderful Barry Levinson movie called Survivor. Had a small part in it, but I played Charlie.
Speaker 3: Goldman and it was like really cool.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: But no, I've never you know, I've never thought to do any given Sunday or anything like that.
Speaker 3: No dream role of like any athlete you'd like to do, you know, like like you know, the world's greatest curler. Hey, I don't know, that could be fun? Yeah, fun, that could be I want to see the inside. I want to see I.
Speaker 1: Think, yeah we should definitely. Yeah, yeah, that's that's the way the way it is. You know, really like I no, I haven't had that that that desire, although you know I I.
Speaker 2: Do like sports movies.
Speaker 3: Yeah, now you had what's it you had, Billy Crystal? You ever had you ever get to talk about with Bill Murray about those cubs?
Speaker 1: No, I'm I'm I know Bill Murray. We we we we met each other. We haven't bumped into each other a lot, but I know, I know there is a plethora of like yeah, you know, he's like, uh, there's a treasure trove of of stories and his passion is like well known for the see, I'm we're fledgling. Game seven is just starting out. We're like just beginning with Amazon, and we're hoping that they we we get we get a good enough audience that they'll they'll go, you know, hey, Danny, you were right. We should have given you the other two plus we'll give you seven for next season. But let's do it because there are so many there are so many beautiful stories to be told, and the people that were with words and pictures, this group of people that are that will do the you know, do the digging to the footage and Adam Silver and people that you know, all the people that in the in the in the various you know, uh clubs, the n b A and the NFL and where we we we have I'd like to do a gold the Golden State Warriors.
Speaker 3: Yeah one with Lebron you know, come on, we've got to.
Speaker 2: Please yeah.
Speaker 3: Universe with Arnold to Yeah, they do that.
Speaker 2: No, definitely. Well, Arnold and I are good friends.
Speaker 1: I love the guy and we're gonna we're working on a screenplay right now that hopefully next season we'll be able to like, uh get some traction with.
Speaker 3: But we're we're excited to work together again. He's a he had to have been pretty fun to work with. Oh my god, you two guys such a good time. He's so talented too.
Speaker 1: And he's funny and just genuine like good spirited guy and uh, you know he's he's you know, he's a good man, a truly good brother.
Speaker 3: Now at work, like when you guys go to a work day, was he like just a fun guy to be around. He reminds me of like how Gronk was when I was at we were at work in the locker room. Gronki just a funny like a big old labor labrador. Yeah, just happy, always farting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I was having a good time. You know.
Speaker 2: We we did this.
Speaker 1: He had this trailer full of equipment when we did Twins and it was like a big you know.
Speaker 3: Full of all kinds workout stuff and there was a bike in there.
Speaker 1: So he said, you know, if you want to come and you know, any dad Dan, you know, Okay, So I go in like lunchtime, I put my sweats on, I go in, I do I do the life.
Speaker 2: Cycle or whatever it was. Uh. I think it was level four for fifteen minutes.
Speaker 1: Yeah you know what I mean, really just barely broke a sweat, you know. And he does, you know, he puts it up to the levels twelve and like eighty eighty and it's just like so different. And we would work out and do a half hour or so nice workout and then we go have a little light lunch because we were He's always talking to me about you know, taking the gut off and uh, and I'm always yeah, you know, I'm trying to stay healthy and uh and then you know, we'd be finishing up. Of course you break out the stogies and the next thing, you know, one of his of his his friends, people assistants would the door would open end up, big gooey ass.
Speaker 2: Dessert would walk in and I got on with you, motherfucker.
Speaker 1: Man, You're you're killing me man, you know, And but I would have it. And we always had fun, oh love, Oh, never a dull moment with Arnold.
Speaker 3: I can only imagine. He seems like a fun dude.
Speaker 2: He's a fun dude.
Speaker 3: Now, what's your favorite role you've ever one? And then and then also your favorite and then what's what do you think is your most iconic? Well, I, I, you know.
Speaker 1: Have a lot of like roles that like I've been blessed with from you know, Cuckoo's Nest all the way to what I'm doing now. It's always Sonny in Philadelphia. Frank is like the most uh you know, self centered, like who gives a ship character? He doesn't care about anybody except himself. He loves the guys and and his two fake kids, his kids because my wife was a whore, you know, so she was probably you know, but there you know, the tall blondes you know beautiful, you know, Caitlyn Olson then and Glenn Howardson and Rob mcelhaney and Charlie Day, wonderful people who work with that, work with them, working with him now. But like you know, people will come up to you and say, well, they'll go you know, they like the Twins character and they like Matilda and they you know, Matilda.
Speaker 3: I get a lot because young kids.
Speaker 1: The great thing about Matilda is that the new generations, the kids, the young girls and boys, pass them on to their siblings and they get to see those movies. Batman, you know, the penguin Oswald Copple plot is high on the list.
Speaker 3: There are a lot of people who are like younger.
Speaker 1: Ones, you know, terrified of Oswald that I'm gonna steal them away and cook them for dinner or something like that. But you know, I get a lot of that, and and of course, so you know, you can't pick a favorite, because.
Speaker 3: It's like children. They're like your kids, like your kids, like your kids. Have you seen the New Penguin at all? In cosl Yes Owens was like one of my kids.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Colin is a it's a totally different take on it.
Speaker 3: And uh, and I god, bless him for doing it. And you know, I h.
Speaker 1: I take my hat off to him for sitting in the makeup chair for all that time, because I did it for three hours every day, and uh, it's it's it's a different take on it and it's fun. Pay was not a good guy. I mean, it's not not a good guy. I mean I think working with Tim Well, I just did the Beetle Juice Beatle Juice. I got a little part in there. We we just Tim and I have done five movies together. We did, uh, you know, besides Batman Returns and Beetlejuice and uh, you know, Dumbo and Mars Attacks and things. You know, there's a there's a cookie, there's a there's a there's a really cool thing in HALFA because I directed HALFA and he came to visit today.
Speaker 2: I was doing a scene.
Speaker 1: Where there were coffins laid out after some big fight between the you know, the bosses and the workers and you know the unions, and and I wanted one coffin to be open, right, And Kim was there just visiting, and I said to me, would you would you like to do a part in my in you know, in a huffa. He said, yeah, what I said, Okay, a little more white makeup on him, and it made him look a little bit more dead. Yeah, he always looks a little bit like weird. And he's got the black hair and it's all over the place. And he was in black already. We gave him a costume, give him a nice suit. I laid him in a coffin and I did a shot over the top of the coffins like this, like so looking down on the coffins, all the closed coffins, and then go past the open coffin, and then it went up to Nicholson. Who was on the stage in that last open coffin is Kim Kim Burton.
Speaker 2: So if you look at the movie, I'm gonna have to look at it. Check that out. Nugget. It's a little nugget.
Speaker 3: Love a nugget.
Speaker 4: We'll be right back after this quick break. Let's let's let's go and score this game.
Speaker 3: And we gotta name this game. The name of the game twenty sixteen World Series game between the Cubs and Indians. Do you got a name for this game? There? We have a couple names. What do you think we should pick? The curse breaker.
Speaker 2: Bye Bye bye bye Billy Cob.
Speaker 3: The Curse of the Billy Goes strikes again.
Speaker 1: I think I think bye bye Billy Goat, Bye Bye bye bye Billy Goat.
Speaker 3: Man's score the game? Is this the greatest game of all time? Let's score now, Danny. The stakes of this game seven game World Series routs. You gotta score zero to one decimal is okay? Two droughts for two cities that have known nothing but heartbreak?
Speaker 2: Oh man, the stakes of it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, zero to ten.
Speaker 2: Oh it's ten ten oh ten? Oh stakes.
Speaker 3: I think it's like a nine to five. Yeah.
Speaker 4: It is twenty one million Americans watching. I mean it's in there, twenty one million, insane.
Speaker 3: That's big for baseball. In the star Power star Power zero ten, Lebron James is there. Lebron was in at the games there. Oh you've got the game. Oh they were all there. Every star is there but stars.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah no, no, I'm saying like, I'll give it to nine nine nine.
Speaker 3: Yeah right, I'm gonna go with the nine as well. I went nine to five five five.
Speaker 2: Good.
Speaker 3: This is the story, game gameplay, the game play, the delay, rain domain runs. Come on, that's a nine. That's a nine. I think that's a nine. That's big. That's big. Baby. The name of the name, Evan, you got to you gotta the name of the game. You gotta score the name. The billy, what is it by by b that's a great one. But yeah, we got it, Bye bye Billy. But you gotta score the name. Now, score the name. Oh that's a great And that's a ten. Yeah, baby, are you ship? Let's go that's a ten. That's eight for me. All right, what do you want to say? What do you want to call it? I like, okay, where does it stack up to all the games that we've done? Where does it rank on our board?
Speaker 4: We got to do a nine point one five, nine point one ice.
Speaker 6: Nine point one five?
Speaker 7: That puts us just below a miracle on ice, which is a nine point one six, and just a Jim Crale game two thousand and one AFC Division around Raiders versus Patriots.
Speaker 2: Fitting.
Speaker 3: Baby, that's a very high game.
Speaker 2: Good.
Speaker 3: I mean that's good. Baseball needs to be up there. Yeah, our highest game set, I mean I.
Speaker 1: Do yeah, huh, yeah, that's that's great that you score it and you you know, you do the whole thing. I'm like, I say, being being a enthusiastic adrenaline.
Speaker 3: That's that's what happens.
Speaker 1: That's why I watched these I've watched them a million times. When send me cuts of stuff, you know, as the producer. But I went as soon as you went on the air, I put it on that big screen.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: I've watched it three times already. It was awesome, man, it was great. So is that three times? So that at fifteen? Because there's only five episodes, so you three each?
Speaker 1: Yeah, we nice if there was you know seven seven. Yeah, I think Avason's got to get your ship together, you know, come on, man, Sorry, sorry, mister Bezos.
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: Well, uh yeah, I'm looking at you board. I do I do want to I do want to plug a couple of things. Well, I got a movie that.
Speaker 3: I did with my daughter last year called A Sudden Case of Christmas. Sudden Cases.
Speaker 1: It's available now on a video on demand tomorrow or when you're when you guys air, this will be available and I love it.
Speaker 3: With your daughter seven year old and seven year old is gonna love this?
Speaker 1: In a Sudden Case Christmas in the nutshell, it's a guy who's gotta uh his wife passed away. He has a house in the Dolomites in Italy, and he and he has and every Christmas his daughter, my daughter Lucy to Vito. I mean in the movie, she and her husband and her daughter who's ten, her daughter's ten, Yeah, come every Christmas. This year, they're coming in the summer.
Speaker 3: And I don't know why, why, it's just and I don't know why.
Speaker 1: I think maybe, you know, maybe they're gonna tell me they're gonna have another kid.
Speaker 3: No, you know what I mean. And don't give it away. Okay, I'm not gonna don't give it. I want to watch it.
Speaker 1: Well, I just said, maybe they're gonna tell me that, But I'm just okay, I want you to watch it. It's a very wonderful movie, and there's so much emotion and wonderful bright family love. It's love this movie, A sudden case of Christmas that's amazing and of course always sunny in Philadelphia. You know you can't miss it. You gotta you gotta run away from it because.
Speaker 2: We chase you with it.
Speaker 3: Now, is there one Is there one scene that you were it was a little too much that you had to cut out from always on airs balls go.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, we've done We've done things like you know, no, listen, you got to cut some scenes. No, we've we've no, we don't ever cut scenes. We just go balls to the wall, mother fucker. You want it, you got, you got? You want to let the suits worry about it. Who's coming after them? Like we pitch forks and everything because we're putting it up there.
Speaker 3: But we gotta put that on T shirt. Balls to the ball.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, you know, go all the way with with the with with with the with the creativity of it. I mean we're doing we're doing one right now. It's like just off the charts. We're doing a crossover. This is like two of the oddest. We're doing a crossover with Abbot Elementaries.
Speaker 2: Can you imagine?
Speaker 3: I heard about that.
Speaker 2: Can you imagine.
Speaker 3: Third grade teacher? Yeah? So I understand a little bit of the behind the like scenes, like teachers hate their lives, but can you so comedic like when they have to deal with these little kids that are rotten children and then they have like their own little sub life when they're at the water cooler.
Speaker 1: Just me and and that show is you know, got so such great, wholesome good stuff in it. Oh, and you put a bunch of monsters in there. That's what we did. They threw, They threw through through ab Elementary to the Sunny Wolves, and we're ripping them apart.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you, you would.
Speaker 6: Think all those characters would have a distance from the school. They would have to be.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, the reason where they are I'm not gonna.
Speaker 1: Tell you because it's too good. A you know, a story point. So and it's fun.
Speaker 3: And then lastly, I wanted I had one last thing before I let you go. What was it like sitting courtside with Jack Nicholas.
Speaker 1: Nicholson Nichols, Jack Nicholson the golf? Okayack, Jack Nicholson. Jack Nicholson is the best. Oh, I get one, Jack Nicholson.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: So we did Cuckoo's and uh now was it nineteen seventy four? We were up in Salem, Oregon, and the Trailblazers are playing. Okay, we're in the middle of nowhere. He's got a car and a couple of people hanging out with him. We had Scatman cruthers with us. We had nice and you know, there's always a doobie and and it's like, you know, we're in the car, what are you gonna do? I contact Hi, I must admit. Okay, we get there. He's now a big star. He's a major star. At this time, I am just I'm like dog shit, like I'm just like a guy on the off the street.
Speaker 3: I'm still there. I'm still there.
Speaker 1: But I'm saying at the time, nobody knew, you know, they'd never seen Cucko's next yet we were shooting it. And we go and of course it's like an arena. I don't think I've ever been to a basketball game like that. And he said, come on, d We're gonna have a great time. This is really what you want anything die, I said, I have a coke, so the the there's a person with us. That was a sign to getting us to our seats. And she gives me a coke half the size of myself and we go down the seats. Now every single camera it's focused on him. Okay, it's it's the big Trails Blazers game, and blah blah blah, it's packed.
Speaker 3: And where are our seats gonna be?
Speaker 1: Duh court side right on the on the line, baby, right. And we're there and how you doing everything good? I'm I'm good, Jack, I'm good.
Speaker 2: It's really fun. And this is so and so and they're.
Speaker 3: Coming over saying hello to him, and there's pictures and video and everything, and then this is Danny's in the movie. This scot Man.
Speaker 1: We're doing a movie and Salem and he's holding court on the court and it's just like every eye in the stadium has tour. And it gets to the time where we're ready to go, and they're all standing out there ready for the ball to be thrown in the air and tipped.
Speaker 3: Throw the ball up.
Speaker 1: Just as the guy is tipping the ball, I kicked my coke over and the coke goes like this court center pooh, and it just.
Speaker 8: Covers soon a tsunami of Coca cola all over, whistles blowing shit going on, people running with towels and spray buckets and this that and the other thing.
Speaker 9: All the team, every team looking at me like motherfucker. Okay, all right, he's fine, looking at me. They wipe it up. They're all ready to go, just before they get out there, to set up where they're gonna be before the refs get out there.
Speaker 2: He looks at me and he goes, you want another coke?
Speaker 3: Dude? I say, yeah, Jack, give me another coke. Probably in the coolest manner too. He is the best. Oh, thank you so much, man, I appreciate you. Coming on. Everyone, go check out Gabe seven on Amazon. Always Sonny in Philadelphia. Also your your holiday movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a Sudden Case of Christmas.
Speaker 3: Sudden Case of Christmas that he did with his daughter on d v O D Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Okay, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 4: Man, Old the veto, the coolest man, the absolute man.
Speaker 3: Yo, No do we yet, bro, man, He's so cool, so cool.
Speaker 7: I've been watching It's always sunning in Philadelphia ever since we knew he was coming to the show.
Speaker 3: You know, you're part of like old Hollywood is when he says, you know, when I was doing the movies, he said, the movies that Jack Nicholson story.
Speaker 6: You want another coke? Dyd Hey, do you want another coke?
Speaker 3: You want another coke? Wow?
Speaker 4: Unbelievable that in the nuthouse, Danny, that was I'm still flying high.
Speaker 3: That was incredible. You know, we didn't really get into the game. What who cares that game? There was an insane Game seven that we did a lot of research on that. I want to I want to get one of those players. Yeah, one of those dudes. We got to get him. Ras He that was the game.
Speaker 2: J R.
Speaker 4: Smith was in there with his shirt off, threw a rally, monkey, I want to rally.
Speaker 3: Who the curse breaker? The o man? That dude is what a stud. You gotta go to a casino with the I bet you he's fucking rain man. It seems like it Bro from I bet you, I bet you he could. I bet you he's really good on on cards.
Speaker 4: Show me a curse he'll break it snapped nothing to me, Billy.
Speaker 3: I've been watching a lot of this Red Sox stuff and and then watching a lot of this Cubs stuff. He know, that's pretty impressive. Man. They was really young when he started bro.
Speaker 2: Full on like boy genius. Yeah, and it could walk the walk.
Speaker 3: What a fucking what a what a leap of faith by the organization.
Speaker 8: Kid.
Speaker 3: That's smart. It worked, baby, it worked, It works. But just ones like a Game seven.
Speaker 4: You hadn't want a World Series and one hundred and eight years, hundred eight nine years and to go Game seven on the road, extra innings.
Speaker 2: That was a game, Like I was a fucking game one of the.
Speaker 3: Games away to the weather break, Davis, Man, I remember that, crazy. I want to wait. I'm litt save our memories for when we get into the game for someone, because we got to cover that game. That's a fucking really good game. Oh my god.
Speaker 4: And all the games they do in Game seven are just incredible. Of course it's the name, Hey, do or die? High stakes baby?
Speaker 6: Little on our turn, I.
Speaker 4: Was gonna say I wanted to pitch Danny. Hey, if you need some consultants, baby, we know games. We are game Knower's baby.
Speaker 6: I mean I was like this close to having you pull up our excels that close.
Speaker 3: For games Phillip, Yeah, we got some docs talk about. Well, since we didn't talk about the Cleveland Indians and the Chicago Cubs, let's talk about some of the movies, the baseball movies, because those have two great movies associated with them. Rookie of the Year in Major League Classics. Godens, I want to just go.
Speaker 4: I want to go make my little boat with my friends, all right. I don't want to have a big ling arm. You don't want to you don't want to share with mister brigman on the road. What is his name, mister Gardner, rock and rocking ice. So let's let's let's go over let's do a little Mount Rushmore or something, or let's let's go over our top five. I love it best baseball movies because there's a lot of great baseball movies.
Speaker 3: It's crazy and they're sneaky ones that that will get you yeoh yeah.
Speaker 7: And from all different angles, to like slapstick comedies to like you know, family dramas, to cerebral.
Speaker 4: The American past time baby, I mean, I used to love for the love of the game all time costner.
Speaker 3: Nothing like Field of Dreams, Field of Dreams insane.
Speaker 7: I recently just want that second and third actor kind of wild, like it's like a road trip with fucking uh James Earl Jones for like some reason, but like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because if he builds it, they'll come, bro, and he saw the fucking ghost walking out that field.
Speaker 6: It's also not they will come, it's he will come his dad.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's what he wants. He wants to play one last time catch old ball from old pop. Ain't nothing more American than that Americ's pastime. We got in there, mister baseball. I used to love that when he went to j Reynolds that that was all Timer. I mean the Sandlot. If you're a sandlot, that's in there.
Speaker 6: James Earl Jones gotta be in there.
Speaker 3: Jones is the out rushmore asters in baseball movies.
Speaker 4: Real, it's all the time. You know, I'm a hard I'm a hardball guy. I'm gonna stand on the table for hardball, Baby Man Hans and the if you don't I wish I was on the key combos Man Man.
Speaker 3: That's a movie.
Speaker 4: It gives me every single time. Jefferson, Albert Tibbs, g Baby the gold Crew. Keanu Reeves, Oh, such a cool dude.
Speaker 2: That was such a good movie. Like, I'm not going to rewatch that All Timer.
Speaker 3: The rookie is that with the New York Baby that was with the Brendon Frasier Or is that this was a scout that was a scout? What's the rookie?
Speaker 6: The rookie is uh, Dennis Quaid.
Speaker 3: Dennis quaidh he's the old guy. He's the old It's like a Disney joint. Ye, it's actually a true story. It's got story from two and a half men in there, Bernie Williams and mister three thousand, Bernie Mack, Bernie Mack.
Speaker 7: It's a great premise. We were talking about that earlier. Great premise for a movie.
Speaker 4: Anything with Matt I'm in there, Baby Angel was in the Outfield.
Speaker 3: I used to love that movie because it used to come on, uh this Disney channel. What was the kid's name?
Speaker 6: Christopher Lloyd was the angel?
Speaker 3: Yeah, but the kid, I know it's see it's that actor McConaughey was. He was a baseball player.
Speaker 4: Glover was the coach, Christopher Lloyd, Yeah, Joseph Gordon Levitt was the kid.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what was his name? What was his name in the in the movie Roger was it Roger Bondman? I remember that. A League of their Own?
Speaker 6: Adrian Brody in that too.
Speaker 3: What a cast? Tom Hanks. I used to love that. That was on TBS all the time, so we used to always watch those that and like Fried Green Tomatoes. Whatever happened to Rosie o'donald loved the Rosie Show when I was a kid.
Speaker 6: She's just like printing money and just was like, see you.
Speaker 3: I don't know what else was she she was had her own.
Speaker 6: She was she was in that episode.
Speaker 2: Isn't and he was.
Speaker 4: She was his nemesis in the softball League, the New York Softball League.
Speaker 3: Her time show. She was like Ellen before Ellen. She was when I was a kid. She was like the Ellen. Rosie's funny. She used to give away so many things too. It's like Diet Oprah, You'll get a car uh Moneyball.
Speaker 7: Moneyball is probably the most well crafted movie out of all these. Now there's cultural stuff whatever, but like that might be the best movie.
Speaker 4: For full Durham. Costner is also in the Hall of Fame for Baseball Movies. Yes, bro so so he's in the Hall of Fame for baseball movies. When I think cost I've seen, I think baseball, baby, what American pastime?
Speaker 3: But didn't he play in like the Miners or something. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I think he.
Speaker 3: I think he grew up playing baseball. Fever pitch. This isn't a soft love that movie. He always talks about it.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 6: They had to rewrite it because the Red Sox won and.
Speaker 2: Jimmy founds a Yankees fan.
Speaker 3: Which one is the babe? Is that the babe ruth one? Yes, I think I've seen. Yeah, I think I got to rewatch that. It's been a while. I always wanted to be good, but it's I didn't remember never yet he always wanted because it was the Bad News Bears, the original all time, that's original. I remember my dad let me watch that and like swore. I think I think I rented it from the library. You know, you can get movies and CDs at the library. I was getting like Bad News Bears in the album Dookie by Green Day, like ninety four at the library.
Speaker 4: Dude, those are those are formative years transforming yourself.
Speaker 3: Dude. It was crazy American media. We got Blockbuster, I could get Charlie than Chocolate Factory and fucking Bad News Bears at the goddamn library for free. Walter Matthew goaded, bro. He was giving them red stripes.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, red stripe. And then in the New Women in the Billy Bob Thorton, Billy Bob Thornton one was good.
Speaker 2: Except they're drinking like, oh, duels man, that's no fun, fake beer.
Speaker 3: Come on, different age man.
Speaker 4: Kelly Leek, who has a badass Many League is a bad head, all right, So we got to put Bad News Bears in There.
Speaker 3: Is Bad News Bears in there, Alter Math, what do you think. I don't mean, what's number one is made? We didn't even talk about major League Hayes. Yeah, major League might have to be one.
Speaker 4: Is that one? I don't think it's one, not one, not for me? Okay, okay, Hardball is one for me. But I think I'm on my island here. We like Field of Dreams being in there. I mean Sandlot is probably one.
Speaker 6: Okay, Sandlot's a good number.
Speaker 3: One. Balls got to be in there for artistic integrity, can hold the cord. Artistic integrity, Kyler.
Speaker 6: It's not even artistic, it's just a well crafted move.
Speaker 3: It's an artistic integrity Kyler has to have.
Speaker 6: Hey, someone's needs some artistic integrity around here.
Speaker 3: What's that supposed to be? You know?
Speaker 4: My goodness? Moneyball five? Okay, that feels a little low, but I like it being in the top five.
Speaker 3: Four.
Speaker 2: The four spot opened up because we moved Sandlot up to one. O. Bad News Bears is probably four. Bad News Bears goes four.
Speaker 3: I like that.
Speaker 6: I don't think Bad News Bears belongs on this list.
Speaker 3: What do you think? Who's your who? What? Honestly?
Speaker 6: Because like major League?
Speaker 3: What about the fucking natural boy wonder.
Speaker 6: Natural Robert Redford, shout.
Speaker 3: Out Redford, bro boy, fucking wonder you put natural at three. I'm not matter. Love of the game. Costner when he's old, old, older like MLB player on the back nine of his career, falls in love with his single mom. He's out there in Detroit, baby, then she goes up to Boston. All right, Yes, I don't know, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I like, you gotta have some constant representation to be in here too.
Speaker 3: I think Field of Dreams is in there.
Speaker 6: I think the dreams is in here too. And I would say your.
Speaker 3: Dreams gotta go. Yeah. Two League of their own three.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and I think I think you got to kill bad News Bears and you gotta replace it.
Speaker 6: With Major League. And I think you can probably move Major League up to two or three.
Speaker 3: No major leagues three, Okay, major League is three, League of their owns four. Rosier Donald was in that too, isn't she is? That we were talking about it.
Speaker 7: It was Madonna, yeah, crying in baseball Davis Olympic archer.
Speaker 3: And then what what was the mainly the main ship the main girl.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, she was an Olympian too. She's an archer. She's in Thumb and Louise.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I used to love that movie too. That's like, what was that ninety five?
Speaker 6: It was early Brad Pitt was in that.
Speaker 3: That's crazy. That's did you imagine that? Forty their own? That's crazy. We go off to war and all the men have to go out so to entertain people. They're like, hey, we're going to create a they didn't have girl leagues. That's gnarly, pretty sweet movie.
Speaker 6: This is a list.
Speaker 4: Forty million dollars budget made one thirty two pretty good league of their own.
Speaker 7: It just remade into a series that didn't quite I loved Mister Baseball too, so fun.
Speaker 3: I don't remember it like a lot, but I remember watching it a lot.
Speaker 4: Hardball is really good too. That's a sad one. No Bull Durham, No Hardball on here, No Dham people.
Speaker 7: Even summer Cat shoutout Cape cod Baseball League.
Speaker 3: Benjarm benchmar Yeah, what's eight man out?
Speaker 2: That was about the Black Sox handle.
Speaker 6: Yeah style movie.
Speaker 7: That story deserves a modern retelling in some way, shape or form.
Speaker 2: All Right, I guess I'm pleased with this. I'm pleased enough with this list.
Speaker 6: I could you could move around feel the dreams in Major league. You could you could switch those if you wanted to. But I think you can go to bat with this list. Ton't even mean that good.
Speaker 4: Button to recap saying Lot taking the top spot, baby, Henry warn Gardener, I hate no, yeah, no, Rack and Ruiser, Man, I think Rookie.
Speaker 3: Of the year. What about the one uh with the kid with the Minnesota Twins.
Speaker 4: Yeah no, that's that was another one that's on TV A little coach.
Speaker 3: It's a little big league, big little.
Speaker 4: We don't have that on the list, do we No, I didn't have it here like little big leagues all time.
Speaker 6: Bro.
Speaker 7: I think Rookie of the Year is on the outfield and the little big league is all because of weare of a certain generation.
Speaker 4: Yeah is baseball? Does baseball have the best sports movies?
Speaker 3: I think it does.
Speaker 6: Because it was America's pastime for so long? You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: So what are the football movies?
Speaker 6: Any given Sunday? Deliver the Titans?
Speaker 3: Remember the Titans? I think remember the Titans goes up with any of these. I think it's just below Sandlot. Sandlight I think is a better movie. First, dude, remember the Titans.
Speaker 6: I love, Actually, I don't love the movie. I don't like that movie.
Speaker 3: I remember going to see that on Thanksgiving my parents. I look at my dad's crime all time, left.
Speaker 6: Stride Okay in the car accident like that.
Speaker 3: United and become a team united earlier. I guess you.
Speaker 4: Don't understand young Gosling, Young Gosling, Sunshine.
Speaker 3: He wasn't Sunshine though, I know, but I'm just I'm just riffing here. Whatever happened to Sunshine? Who any given? Water Boy?
Speaker 6: Water Boy boy replacement?
Speaker 3: There's more there? What else?
Speaker 6: Replacements? Both of them?
Speaker 3: Replacements? Look at look at look at old Keana. Keanu Reeves in some sport movies and he's a hell a good shooter. They said he was a could have been a good quarterback. Did you see that post or something?
Speaker 4: Talk about that on Instagram the other week, they said, they said, when he was doing the replacements, they thought of like bringing him in for a tryout for the Ravens.
Speaker 2: I don't know, man, come in the nuthouse. We gotta spot.
Speaker 3: We need you to come in and talk about if you could come and play on the raven That was a good Ravens team when they needed a quarterback. Here's I'm going kea.
Speaker 6: Here's a TikTok for us. Here's the hook.
Speaker 7: Could the two thousand Ravens win a Super Bowl with Keanu Reeves?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Did you see the Replacements movie? You can throw Shane Falco?
Speaker 4: Baby get Shane Falco's on a boat.
Speaker 3: That's how focused he is.
Speaker 4: Brian Billy see Yakman coome Onring Happens?
Speaker 3: Sports Member?
Speaker 6: Who's yours?
Speaker 3: Hoo's yours?
Speaker 6: Two more football movies?
Speaker 3: Rudy, I Love Rudy.
Speaker 6: Also Varsity Blues.
Speaker 3: Oh, great, eighty for Brady, eighty for Brady? Great movie? Is it? Great movie? Great movie? Great? Hey my dog isn't it? It's a great pay of my dog in it? What else is? There's some I don't know.
Speaker 6: Maybe baseball has the best space movie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Baseball, best sport movie? Basketball movies?
Speaker 6: How's yours?
Speaker 3: GM?
Speaker 6: Like, what's the spike?
Speaker 1: Lee?
Speaker 2: Rey Allen?
Speaker 3: Oh? He Got Game? That's some beautiful movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Really, that's like one of my favorite movies. There's a Rewatch.
Speaker 2: Hustle with Adam saying, Jawanna man, is that all the time?
Speaker 3: Yes? Yes, dude?
Speaker 4: What if a man played the w n B? A classic late nineties early two thousand spremise.
Speaker 6: Does that uncut gems count?
Speaker 3: Yes? I will count it. Bookies Air Air kind of Yes.
Speaker 6: I love that's a movie as a basketball movie, Jason, You're never on.
Speaker 4: The court, Coach Carter. Oh, like Mike, how are we forgetting like Mike? Like Mike all timer rookie basketball?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Is he bow wow now? Or he's not little bow he's just bow wow? Christopher, you're not really mad about that? Did he really after he became bow wow? When people call him little bow Wow? Oh?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's just bow and everything. He is thirty seven now, he was fucking on top of the world when I was Wow bow Wow four point seven million followers on Instagram.
Speaker 3: It's still a little bow wow, bow Wow bro or bow Wow? Well? What a game?
Speaker 2: I see DC college memberies doing those ads.
Speaker 6: I don't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let'll do that.
Speaker 7: We'll do that game. That's a great game. We'll do it again. We'll do that game.
Speaker 3: Justice that we got it. That was a fucking that's a very important game for baseball. That's a special game. And we need someone very special to come in and talk Billy Crystal. Maybe we have him coming.
Speaker 6: There's a long like we talked about.
Speaker 3: Bill Murray talk about Bill Martin. He was there. Maybe he'll come my dishes at my house. Well, while we're fucking talking about it and we randomly ask at least expect this is what he does. He goes like fra houses or something. He just up wherever all timer cubs fans. But regardless, what an episode with Danny I can't.
Speaker 6: Also, we had an.
Speaker 3: All time guest. That couch is so on my all time guests. Hey, he's propped up pretty good. Actually he was pretty comfy and work.
Speaker 6: You were more uncomfortable than he was.
Speaker 3: Hey, you got Danny Demidos sitting down here, We're all good. I was Danny's comfy. I'm comfy. Hey, you cofy and comfy. Remember to check out Game seven on Amazon Prime and Sudden Case of Christmas both out now that he did that with his daughter. Great movie.
Speaker 6: That's a classic, like old Hollywood guy.
Speaker 7: Who like puts some movie together just so we can be in Italy with his family.
Speaker 3: Well regardless, it represents family in good time. Great holiday flick.
Speaker 2: We got to check it out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that's been another episode of Games Names. Subscribe on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, or wherever you listen to your podcasts, comment a game you want us to do and remember, rate and review. Remember to follow games with names on YouTube, Instagram, x TikTok, and snapchat. Leave a message on the old hot line at the number four two four two nine one two two nine zero. See you guys next week. Games and names of production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, wherever you get your podcasts.