Speaker 1: R and B money, Honey, we are than take the child. We are the authority on R and B. Ladies and gentlemen. My name is Tank, I'm Jay Allentown, and this is the r Andy.
Speaker 2: Bundy Podcast, the authority, yeah, on all things R and B.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Man, you know I've been on this West coast about twenty four years.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, I feel like I'm from here. Yeah. Huh have you ever saved an entire label? Now? Many have?
Speaker 3: Huh?
Speaker 1: Have you ever mixed R and B with the funk and called it?
Speaker 2: How you?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you've never done it, but the man here has. It's a nice mister Warren, the lady himself. Yeah, ship. Oh yeah. How you feeling, man, I'm good, I'm good. Let me ask you a question.
Speaker 2: Do you do you like because this is this is a flowers pod. This is where you get an opportunity to really say it how you feel it. You know what I'm saying, Beaches, you understand I'm saying, like like own it?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah. Have have you like ever.
Speaker 2: Just looked around and and.
Speaker 1: And thought about the things that you've actually done?
Speaker 3: Nah? I just uh, I feel like if I if I think about all the stuff back in the past, I started feeling like I'm super old night.
Speaker 4: I'm still young.
Speaker 3: I still I mean, I ain't super young, but I'm I'm you know, I'm writing them in the mix with everything musical, uh everything, you know.
Speaker 4: My kids was even trying to clown me talking about dad.
Speaker 3: You can't do a card wo, I said, ship.
Speaker 1: I can't.
Speaker 3: I'm good, but you know it just you know, just if I think about that stuff, uh, like I said, it may make me feel like I'm just super old.
Speaker 1: But then.
Speaker 3: I just try to keep moving. I don't. I just like to do stuff and just keep moving. Like if Okay, that's a hit record, boom, I'm trying to get another one of those. So I just keep driving and driving and driving, trying to create you know, uh, just straight hit records, you know what I mean. I try to do.
Speaker 4: I know it's not possible, but.
Speaker 3: I try to do every record that I produce, I try to make it a single, you know.
Speaker 4: So, and that's how people get good good albums.
Speaker 3: When when you're doing a full album, you try to make every record a good a single. And that's when people be like, damn, the whole record just as a whole sound good from top to bottom, you know.
Speaker 1: So I mean.
Speaker 3: That's that's uh, that's just how I am. And I mean, like I said, I just I love everything I did. But I'm you know, I'm I'm I'm just moving just I don't I don't want to stop.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: I asked that because in this age of everything moving so fast and everybody's scrolling so fast, and and we're in an age where people people love to have amnesia. Yeah, yeah, they love too.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: They can't wait to y'all.
Speaker 1: I must have forgotten.
Speaker 2: They can't wait to discredit without actually knowing the credits and the importance in terms of the things that you've done which have contributed to the foundation and the fabric of certain things. It's important to be part of a constant conversation, not that you have to say because I mean, that's if you don't, somebody has to say it. And and I'm thankful that you're here so that so that we can fucking say it.
Speaker 1: This is this is you know, you.
Speaker 2: Can however you want to do your other interviews, you can be light and easy on them, but today I want to hear a whole lot of yeah, you fucking right, I did that.
Speaker 1: I want to.
Speaker 3: I want to straight up, I ain't gonna I ain't gonna sugar coat nothing.
Speaker 2: I'm straight up. Yeah, I'm so so so treat me. Treat me like I'm new to the West Coast. Where does this start? Brother Warrens, Like, where does this journey begin?
Speaker 3: It was we uh well, musically for my For myself, it started with my dad going to his house. He would scoop me up on the weekends and we would listening to jazz just all day. You know, he'd be blazing, you know, have his friends, his lady friends and stuff come through. Sometimes some of his homies come through. But I always had to just chill right there or play with the guy that lived next door named Tommy.
Speaker 4: We used to play Star Wars and ship.
Speaker 3: But other than that, I'd be laying on the ground listening to jazz with him. And then from there, you know, my my father and Werner got married and that brought me around Drake. That's when I was but from my pup I probably was like seven years old maybe, so we lived together because my mom made me move with my father, you know, and my father and Vernon was married and they lived in compics, so they made me move, moved the coptain and no, I wasn't I wasn't bad. She didn't want to she didn't want me to get caught up in what was going on around where we lived at in Loan Beach. But Ship, I was already in the mix anywhere, because I was still going. I catched the bus right back down down to the East Side. And uh, just you know, living with my dad and being with with Andre and Tyree, Uh they groomed me, you know, so being around them and just all all my life, you know, I wanted to be like Dre. You know, he was doing DJing and stuff like that, and you know, me and Tyree, we just we both was in the sports a lot. And but I kind of like Dre used to do mixtapes all the time that it was just bumping, Like Ship just was bumping. So I was like, man, can you show me how to do that? So he showed me one day in the room because we slept in the same room. We slept in the same beds together all that. You know, how you got two beds and his three boys and was sleeping this bed and that bed, and and he had some turntables set up by the clause that he had it all set up right there, and he showed me and I can remember the first record it was.
Speaker 4: It was uh uh it's time.
Speaker 3: He showed me how to mix that and uh so I just started practicing practicing from there, and uh that was another thing that made me fall in love with music as well. And just you know, looking up to him, him and Tyree, they both was was both you know. It was great for me to have big brothers. I was like dangn but and and they used to make me fight the little dudes in the hood. They called me kibbles and bits then and uh but uh, I graduated from kibbles and business to uh circul pull up.
Speaker 1: A problem with your little niggas. Yeah, we used to.
Speaker 4: We used to have battle of the blocks, uh boxing and the gloves.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: One of my homeboys stink.
Speaker 4: He was vicious. I ain't gonna live, but me and him used to lock up. Yeah, we were locking up.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: That was my only competition other than that.
Speaker 3: I was putting hands on everybody except for bb BB was He was younger than me, but he was one of those who was just vicious. He was one of the fi I'm talking about like thirteen years old, knocking out, knocking out, twenty five year old or thirty years like that. Yeah, like that, so that all this is in Compton though, that was in Compton, but I was I was still tracking back and forth. But you living in Compton, but you're from Long Beach, so yeah, it's also that. Yeah, when you moved to that neighborhood, they're like, oh, well, was a bitch from Long Beach.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, so you had to go through that whole thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I mean all of that stuff just groomed me, uh into the music.
Speaker 3: And then later on as I.
Speaker 1: Grew up.
Speaker 3: I'm not ain't gonna say as I grew up before that, I was around you know that ain't even before that. That was all around the same time.
Speaker 4: We used to.
Speaker 3: I would go back and I'd be at my house with my mother and we had we had had this crew called the Voultron Crew. That's what I talk about on this DJ. I said, the Vaultron Crew, which we worked for this dude named Steve who we used to sell candy for. And so we used to go to all the neighborhoods all from Long Beach to Santa Ana to up by U c l A selling candy and and uh when we were finished selling candy, what we would do was we rap.
Speaker 4: So it was me Snoop, the twins.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 4: It was a gang of us, Steve uh t Needy, it was Priscilla uh Uh, it was a bunch of us. Uh fave uh tig.
Speaker 1: We was deep.
Speaker 4: All of us was in this one van.
Speaker 3: We was like the uh fat album now and after after we finished selling candy, we would we would flip quarters and we would just freestyle. So that's where I really learned how to how to you know, just like really just learn how to freestyle because you had to. But I started cheating, uh because I was I was you know, like I said. At that time, Dre was in uh the world class wrecking crew. So I used to get all the music before anybody anything. So I had the tapes everything.
Speaker 4: So we in there one day and I'm just I just started rapping.
Speaker 1: Uh they hate.
Speaker 3: He had a song called Cabbage Patch and I started rapping that motherfucking there uh in the in the van with everybody after word will. I was rolling down the street with my mind at ease. I had my top pulled back to Canfield. They looking like damn this nigga and gun hor.
Speaker 1: Where you get that?
Speaker 3: What happened? I never said ship and uh until later and you know, just doing that the Vaultron crew. But you're going back and forth, yeah, going back. You're going back and forth Compton.
Speaker 1: So do they not I'm not even just Long Beach and Compton from.
Speaker 5: Your Voultron crew to your household with your big brothers, poor world class wrecking crew.
Speaker 1: Does the home? Do the homies in Long Beach know this?
Speaker 2: Or no?
Speaker 3: Yeah they knew it?
Speaker 4: Well snooping, Yeah they knew it.
Speaker 1: They knew it. They knew it because by this time they got turned off the lights and all that out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah they knew it. They knew it.
Speaker 4: Ship.
Speaker 3: Everybody knew it.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: Dre used to be in Long Wish too, you know on the east side. Well he went to staying out on the east side here and there, and he went to Jordan for I think for maybe a few semesters or something, and then he he got kicked out, I think, uh for not going I think, but let me see. But I mean all of that, so every everybody, you know, everybody from Loanbies knew that Dre was related to us. Every you know, everybody knew it. And then later on, uh, like I said, we was with the Vultron crew. We used to go to Cayle State. I talk about that in this DJ that King Park was the the epicenter for for all our relationships for the twins. Who was who was the artist with us? Me and Snoop Dirty Left, which is Snoopers oldest brother. That was that was my best friend before Snoop was my best friend because we all went to C I S. That was across the street from King Park. And I'm kind of speeding a little it, uh through the whole through the whole thing. But uh, but that that's where our introduction, our introduction to each other as kids started right there at King's Park, getting the free lunches. Uh, working for the s Y E. T P, Working for Steve with the United teams, just trying to trying to survive and trying to try to eat. And you know Snoop was always uh uh he was like a comedian. He used to always bag and he would always freestyle. So we played football together, uh and he used to always be rapping. I was I was focused on football more heavy, but we always we always was doing music. So as we got older and older and older, we kept working with me, you know, Snoop became my best friend, so we would dip here and there. So we kind of got separated at at a certain point where I was in Norfolk Beach because I had got in trouble coming down alone, which I got in trouble.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 4: I went to middle school actually in Loan Beach at Hughes.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: So they kicked me out of Hughes and sent me to the north side, a long beach, Hamilton.
Speaker 4: Got kicked out of Hamilton.
Speaker 3: They sent me to Lindburg and Lindbergh is where it all started. Sub where I got on track and that was that was That was like some of the most fun I had in my life from that point through high school.
Speaker 4: But we still kept in touch with each other.
Speaker 3: I would come down there still hanging with all my friends and we would do music and messing around.
Speaker 4: So we got older. Uh been high school.
Speaker 3: One day, I was at lunch, you know, I'm I'm out at lunch and I hear somebody howling warm, you know, like warm. So I'm looking, I'm looking like Warren. I look and it's snoop and I'm like, think, what the fuck are you doing up here? You're supposed to be a polly.
Speaker 4: He was like they they wouldn't let me go to poly no more because we moved up to sixty first Street, so.
Speaker 3: He was he was. He was like, you still doing music, ain't you? I was like, yeah, still doing music. So we linked up, did a little mixtape. I still had my turntables and my mixer and I would hit record on the tape deck and we give them a little raggedy microphone and he'd start busting. We just we did a demo for Eric being rock Camp, well for Karl Lewis, but it was we sent it to her to give to Eric Being rock Camp and all of them back in the day.
Speaker 4: On our mixtape I think I made.
Speaker 3: I probably did like about I mailed off about maybe eight to ten of them, motherfuckers, just mailing them to different record companies and everything, just off our little demo. But we kept doing We started doing mixtapes and stuff like that. So once we got out of school is when the reality kind of hit us a little bit.
Speaker 1: So we was like all over.
Speaker 3: I stayed on sixty first us an Orange. He stayed on sixty first in London. So we ended up getting caught up in the hustle game around the neighborhood. But we were still doing our music too. But it was starting to get hectic as far as like that's I talk about that on do U see. It was getting hectic for us then, but we still was we we had We was just trying to make money so we can get new clothes, go to the football games and look good, and you know, just try to get cars and shit like that. Just looking at the guys that was before us. We kept going and going and going with you know, we was going in and out of jail. We go to the county. One I may be in the county. He main't be in the county. Or Nate then went to the county. You know, just back and forth from getting caught up and where were you know, around where we was at, And we finally just said, you know what, let's slow down a little bit, get it together, because we've seen a lot happen, uh as far as on the on the gang tip, the killing tip, the shooting tip, all that ship, we've seen a lot of shit. So it was like we're gonna We're gonna end up being in the in this position, just like all the other Homeboys was gone twenty something years, fifteen years, thirty years, they was all getting stretched, and uh so we was like fuck that shit. Uh So we just started working full time. We would go to the VIP Calvin would let us in in the do demos. So we're going there doing demos. Yeah, and the record store right yeah, yeah, so we was doing demos from with Calvin. Uh with Snoop was going to other I would get mad. I ain't gonna lie when he would go deal with other producers and other people pissed off.
Speaker 4: Like while you going over there with them?
Speaker 3: We were you and Nate.
Speaker 1: So, uh we did a.
Speaker 3: Demo with one of my guys, his name money B. Not money Be from Digital Underground, but long Beach money Bee. He's a white dude, but he was. He was our niggah. But uh so we did a demo with him. We did a song called long Beach is a motherfucker. I can't remember all our songs right off top, but I got him actually in my phone.
Speaker 1: You still got all your original I got the demos in my phone. M Do you feel like.
Speaker 5: For y'all, it was more of a reality because you had a brother who was already doing it.
Speaker 1: Was that always kind of the back with us.
Speaker 3: At all. Yeah, little family functions that Dre, Snoop and rap Man you need to listen. And we got a group called two one three check us out. Oh yeah, okay, yeah yeah, Like damn, he ain't fucking with us. So he never was fucking with us.
Speaker 1: He was cool with us.
Speaker 4: Fucking with us like no, y'all, y'all niggas ain't you know because some wild niggas.
Speaker 1: No, probably because we was pretty young. We was.
Speaker 4: We was pretty young. Uh when we was trying to get at him, we was. We was young like ship uh.
Speaker 1: We we was young. Because this is the n w A days for him though.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, well it was n w A and then he went into n w A end I mean ended up well wrecking Crew and then he went into n w A at the time at that time around that time, but before that, he was with the uh I think it was called the Stereo Crew. They was deep there. DJ Crew. That's why I fell in love with with DJ because him and Easy Randy, cat Sheen Donald, they was all a crew a speed did the speed Uh, they had their crew called I think it was called the Stereo Crew, if I'm not mistaken. So that's inspired me as well. But god damn, I forgot sometimes.
Speaker 2: With his family when it's family, wasn't when it's family, it's like, yeah, it's.
Speaker 1: Too it's too close for you to really see if.
Speaker 3: It's real or not if yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. I mean, but we kept we kept working.
Speaker 1: We went for some years. Yeah, we wasn't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well we was older, like seventeen eighteen, seventeen eighteen. Around that time, we was uh, we wasn't even chiming in with him no more. So we were just doing our thing in the streets. And like I said, we formed a group called two one three, which was our area code for all of California, like the southern California and then but we was inspired by four one five from the Bay Richie Rich, Yeah, Richie Rich, which.
Speaker 5: Is crazy because the same thing happened with them, where four and five the area coast our area codes split up in the Bay. Yeah, four and five only end up in San Francisco. And obviously then five one oh became Oakland, our yards became Long Beach.
Speaker 3: Yeah, three one three one oh was a round let me three one oh. It was before two one three was it? It was three to one oh, but it was l A was always known, it was all, but then it switched to two one three, and uh so we we we took on that that whole, like we represent for everybody, Comped and Washed Long Beach, La Courson, sand Burns wherever the mass circle and uh we just started doing demos and just recording them and passing them out to everybody, like we would let people.
Speaker 4: They hear like that ship dope, So we dub it.
Speaker 3: You know, you had the double, except we double them boom, give them a tape, duble, give them a tape. And then Roger Clayton from Uncle Jam's army gave us a uh start, giving us a shot to get down in his club called the toe Jam. So we kept we used to go to the toe Jam and just have a have a ball. Just he'd let us get on the mic. I'd get up there and start d jamm. I'll be up there like.
Speaker 4: You drink whiskey, I drink wine.
Speaker 3: Come on everybody's gangs to the time. Boom boo, boom, boom boom, Snoop Star busting. Wama did start busting, and Uh, it was it was, it was live. We had so much fun.
Speaker 1: Uh, y'all only eighteen years old at this point.
Speaker 3: Yeah, seventeen eighteen, right in right around there, and we just kept just pushing all of them. And Quick inspired us as well, DJ Quick, So we was trying to get mixtapes out to push like he was doing. That's that's why we had a mixtape or a demo called Long Was a Motherfucker. It's pretty much a mixtape. So we just gave that everybody. So it started bubbling like everywhere, like bubbling, and we just we just wasn't getting a chance from nobody, so just on a humbug. I hadn't seen dre in it like in a while, like it was a long time, so I hit him up.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: I was like, cause I used to hang I used to kick it with him, you know when in the n w A days, I'd go hang out at the studio with him and everything and watched them work and I'd be right back to doing what I do back over here.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 4: Or was that after let Me See No?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: That was that was?
Speaker 4: That was around that time and so I asked him.
Speaker 3: One day. You know, I became tight with with uh with uh l A d Well. Actually I called Dre and he he was like, hit l A Dre. I'm having a bachelor party. So I hit l A Dre and he told me how to get there. I think it was at the Bonadventure, if I'm not mistaken. So I went, me and my homeboy Gangster Ride and uh Kenny Mack. We had all we jumped into r X seven and I had one person had the ride in the hatchback. So we mashed up to the uh to the uh the bachelor party. UH in the bachelor party every day playing some dope music and it kind of like started getting like like they was running out of music.
Speaker 4: So I told Dre.
Speaker 3: I told l A Dre. I said, can I pop this stapen? He was like, go ahead, some music, go ahead. So I popped it in and he played it when he and when he played it, everybody started dancing and was bobbing and ship.
Speaker 4: He was like, damn, this ship is dope.
Speaker 3: Who was this? And I was like that's me Snoop and my homeboy Knake Dog. He was like, damn this ship bang. He said, have you let Dre hear this? I was like no, So he called Drey over. It was like, Dre, you need to listen and this shit. So when he came over and he uh Drake came on with listened, He's like, damn that shit hard.
Speaker 4: He was like, that's y'all.
Speaker 1: I was like yeah.
Speaker 3: I was like I was saying to myself, nigga, I've been trying to tell you that that were hard with Vicious, but you don't want to listen. So so he was like, y'all come to the studio.
Speaker 1: Was immediate.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he said, y'all come to the studio on Monday. Actually, he said come to the studio on Monday. So at that time, I was pissed off of Snoop because he would go work with all these off brands instead of meet him and Nate work and he'd be doing shit on his owner. It was pissing me off. So we was kind of at it at that time. So I called him anywhere. I was like, Snoop, I just talked to Dre and he wants to come to the studio on Monday. He was like, nigga, fuck that shit.
Speaker 1: Nigga. Boom.
Speaker 3: He hanged the funnel because he had a Snoop had a nasty ass attitude back then. He'll make you want to socking and he'll hang up on you like this motherfucker. So I called him again and uh he.
Speaker 4: Answered and and uh he was like uh nigga, I said, I said, Snoop, just please just chill. Just let me call him on the three way.
Speaker 3: So I called him. I called Dray on the three way and Dre was like, what's up? I said, Dre, would you tell Snoop that you want to succumb to the studio on Monday. He was like, yeah, I want you to come to the studio on Monday.
Speaker 1: He was like, who was this?
Speaker 3: He he's like this doctor Dre.
Speaker 4: When he said that, this doctor Drake, because you know that's it, that's the he was like, oh ship.
Speaker 1: He was like Dre.
Speaker 3: He was like, oh ship. He was like it's like yeah, like we'll be there. So that Monday, we uh with my homeboy Rump and we jumped in his his bucket. You know one of the kid where you get to the light and you got to put it in apartment. We all there, Yeah, we got to the light. We got to the light. So We did that all the way to Hollywood. We didn't even get on the freeway and uh hell long beach. Yeah, the streets, the streets, it was cool, easy, It was easy routes all the way up and we actually uh we was also we would go to above a Law studio too with and we was over there doing we actually did some demo ship with them too, with with the whatever the law now. And but Dre was like, come up to the studio even then Blay Law and then was doing saying the same thing, but y'all come get down with us. But when the Drake thing came, it was like that was like our dream. So we went over there and immediately Drake as soon as we got in there, he threw a beat on.
Speaker 4: It was more it was snoop more for more for it was just straight for snoop.
Speaker 3: So he threw a beat on that had it was the big payback mixed uh with a hold on and had the big payback in there like in there with that ship was hard. It was called this is a Gangster's Life. And from that point it's where that's where it started for us. Like Dre was like, y'all need to come move with me to get up out the hoods. So y'all don't get in no trouble, y'all just come come up to my house and and come stay with me, you know. And that's that's where everything started. We just immediately just started doing music. And is he still inn He was gone, he was out at that point. They haven't decided where they're gonna take the new He didn't like, he said yet. I just I've just seen a quote that he said, let me, I'm gonna read this ship.
Speaker 4: If I could read it. I locked this in because I was like, wow, he said.
Speaker 3: Snow came to me at a very low point in my life and I just had separated myself from Ruthless Records. I had no money for food. I didn't even have furniture in my house at that time. At that at that time, then boom, here comes Snoop, a true diamond in the rough. I mean, Snoop is just pure raw talent. Nobody sounds like Snoop. Then it was a time. Then it was time to do my first solo album. The chronic Snoop was always there for me, ready to work and constantly motivate me, motivating me and pushing me and making me believe I can do it. I could always hear his voice in my head, come on, Drake, cuz, come on, you can do it.
Speaker 4: You got this, keep it, keep it going.
Speaker 1: You know I don't.
Speaker 3: It's still a lot going on there. And I was reading that shit like damn because it God, damn, Drake.
Speaker 1: Let that.
Speaker 4: Thank you for that. Hey, hey, your boy, Uh, thank thank me for bringing the dog to you.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 3: No, it's all good, but that that was a trip, you know, And my whole thing was at that point. That's how I felt that I wanted to come and and and and be be with with him because I always looked up to him, be with him and help him if if that's what he needed or whatever he needed. That's what our job was to him, to help him get back on his feet. My job was to go get all of the records. I went and got all the samples for the chronic And what I would do is after I got the samples, I would take the motherfuckers. Because Dre and one eighty seven, they both showed me how to work there n PC sixty. So I started producing, like wanting to produce. So that's you know, Drey showed me some ship one eighty seven showed me some shit. So from there I just started sampling, no drums, nothing, just doing the raw sample. Or I would play a record for Drake, like, Dray, listen to this, you know, like let Me Ride. That was what a record from a They used to have these records called dub records, and they would have little spout spurts of uh like old songs and stuff like that, like that dune boom boom boom, Let Me Ride that was on a dub record and then uh uh swim I don't want to ride. I don't want to you know that part? Oh that was just on this one record. And he heard that. Shell said listen to Drake, he heard that ship. He was like, that ship is hard and he flipped that motherfucker. That's when he did. That's when he did the uh let Me Ride that was. That was that record and just a bunch of stuff, you know. I went to As the World Turned. It was on mail Roads. That's where I bought every record for the chronic that we was using. If the records that Drake didn't get, I had brought like all. I brought every black exploitation soundtrack that you could find. I bought all of that stuff. That's where the skit came from. I was telling you about them from the MAC. You really don't understand, do you. In order for us to make this thing work, you got to get rid of the pimps and the and start all of it. Because that's how I felt.
Speaker 1: I felt like like.
Speaker 4: The little brother talking to the big brother.
Speaker 3: That's what that was my whole mentality with that when I brought it to him, and then Drake added with niggas, you're crazy bubble boom won't boon't and then that he came. He did that beat coming in there, and then uh, even the boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom, break them off something break that came off a little bitty strip of a.
Speaker 1: Make the.
Speaker 3: Doom they had that app that album they got. It's a little bitty strip all the way down and just do that one sound duo.
Speaker 1: Dude.
Speaker 3: I was like, listen to this, and he was. He took that motherfucker and flipped it and then uh, just all like even to these nuts skit. I told Drake turned the mic on because we was looking for skits, like to do some skits. So I said, let me get my homegrow. I'm a caller, and that's when I called my homegirl and just and just started chopping it up with it and hear it with it. Because that was the big thing around that time, getting somebody and telling them these nuts, like, hey, nigga, guess what these nuts?
Speaker 1: That was our thing around that time.
Speaker 4: So global, yeah, yeah, So I got her and she was all shut up, nigga. But that was that was that was cool.
Speaker 3: That was fun doing that type of stuff. Like just a lot of the records on there. You know, I ain't I'm not taking no credit away from Dre. I never do that because he's a dope producer. He showed me a lot, you know. But I did bring I had a lot of input in that album, a lot of input. And that was our job to make Dra a superstar. That's what we wanted to do. That that was our thing.
Speaker 4: So me and Snoop started out. Then we brought in Nate and right.
Speaker 3: After Nate, actually Dads came him and Nate came at the same time. RBX came just a little bit later, but Corrupt had came right after Dazz and Nate came there and came Corrupt, and that that started. I brought him to death fro because I met actually, me and Snoop we met Corrupt at a battle at the Roxy where they was like this nigga Corrupt, like right here, he the hardest nigga in California, like da da da.
Speaker 4: So we're like, no, he the hardest nigga in California.
Speaker 3: So it was like, what's up?
Speaker 1: Like, what's up?
Speaker 3: So we formed a little circle. Niggas got down on one knee and start busting, and that motherfucking that nigga Corrupt said you gotta bring on your pinky finger, and that's true, but if you look at mine, I got one too. I said, whoah shit, and then Snooper hit him back with something. He hit it. It was nobody could win. So we was just like, you know what we got, we gotta call this one. It's just it's pretty much a tie. And uh so I crept over to the side. I said, Corrupt, let me get your phone number. So I got his number, and we was living with Dre at that time, but we was just out on the street, just anything hip hop, and we was trying to be a part of it. So we was out in the street still even though we was with with Dre. So I told corrupt, I said, look, I called him, I said, man, come up to the studio. I want to do a demo for you, you know, do some songs on you. So I did like four, four or five songs on him, did him. And then as soon as I got through from doing it. The way I used to record was crazy because I would just push the record on the on the tape deck because it was routed into the board and everything. So every record straight to cassette tape because I didn't know how to work everything, and but I did learn how to splice and everything.
Speaker 4: Drake taught me that ship later on.
Speaker 1: But we recorded it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, no, no, no, no, the cassette, the cassette. Yeh, cassette tape.
Speaker 1: You were going straight in from the board. It was routed into the.
Speaker 4: It was routed into the cassette deck.
Speaker 2: It was you will be playing your music and record all at the same time from the drum machine right into the It was routed to the board into the the cassette.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So you couldn't make no mistake wasn't no overdose. Know you got you ain't no stopping the start, just keep going, just keep going. We we did a few.
Speaker 4: Ship songs like that.
Speaker 3: Me and Snoop did a gang and ship like that too up there at the studio, and so uh I did the records for Corrupt. It was like five of them.
Speaker 4: And then I let Dre and Sugar hear that ship and they immediately wanted to sign him, like we want to sign this nigga. So boom there go Corrupt. He came so and then after that then Snoop brought rbx rbx up and that was like like all like came through me, like all of that stuff.
Speaker 1: Came to me.
Speaker 4: And then and then actually even the Bushwick skit, he.
Speaker 3: His eyes is me and all are more than three. Cause that week I started fucking with bush Wick. I forgot we was on. It was on a humbug, and I told him I think he might have been over at the Idol Joe's story. He was somewhere where we bumped Tess with him, but we was dealing with rap a Lot already. He with the convicts and uh Jay Prince. Then from uh rap a Lot, they was the convicts was supposed to. I guess Sugar and Jay Prince had a deal or harry O had to deal Sug Jay Harryo had a deal with the con wanted to get the convicts signed. So they was coming down and we took him in like brothers and worked with them, and they became tight with us. And that's how we bumped hes with Bushwick and we brought his ass Bushwick up into the the studios.
Speaker 1: It was random that he was. He had an intro on the crime.
Speaker 3: We brought him. We brought him up in there.
Speaker 4: We brought him up in there and he we had him do a skip for us right there. Drake put the mic on, gave him the chair.
Speaker 1: So get.
Speaker 3: That was our That was my dog.
Speaker 1: That was our dog.
Speaker 3: Because we became tight, you know, we became real tight. Bush Wick was my that was my dog. I took him everywhere. You know, warn I'm too short forlong conversations. And he got drunk one time. I was like bush Whig, come on, man, I'm talking about I was like, you drunk too much.
Speaker 5: But so your story honestly feels like Eddie and Charlie Murphy because obviously your brother he got there so quick he got into a space and most people don't understand that with success and with stardom, no matter how close you want to be to shit, you just can't. At some point you're going to get to a space where that's not your everyday living. So somebody connected to you, it's kind of living through you, and it's part of the lifestyle, you know what I'm saying. So when you tell your stories, you having your big brother that's super cracking. Everybody know him, and it goes into oh, you know that straight little brother. Yeah, and now you everywhere and you literally are gathering the people to bring them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, to build Yeah. That only people that didn't come through me was Rage and Juel and they actually I knew Rage already and I mean Jewel, but I didn't mean Raged till later.
Speaker 4: And they became tight with us. You know, we became a family. We was a tight family.
Speaker 3: And our job was just to get in that studio about ten, nine, ten in the morning. We stay in there till about five or six the next morning. At that time, are you thinking any from a business standpoint, like I'm bringing these people in and of course, the the goal is the goal is dre whatever, all things dre right. But at any point in your mind are you thinking, as I'm bringing all this shit in, I got to make sure I'm tied into some of this ship too, or if for you it was just like, I don't care however it gets cracking. I just need to get this ship cracked.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I wasn't thinking like that. My My mindset was like, if I put in all this work and just put in a bunch of work, they gonna make sure that I'm gonna be all right. You know, they gonna make sure I'm gonna be cool. I ain't got to worry about it because you know, I'm living with him.
Speaker 4: I used to be.
Speaker 3: We was like best friends, me and Drake pretty much around that time because I used to drive him, drive him around. I don't want to say, uh, well he usould you know, we drive I drive him just to you know, when he was he was single, so I would drive him to some of his women's places and ship and while we're there, I would ask her like, look, you got a friend, so but uh.
Speaker 1: We was we was we was tight. You know, we was tight.
Speaker 4: But like I said, that was our goal to build him up.
Speaker 3: And I wish I did have have a business mind set back then and knew about publishing and like everything that went on, so I could have got some type of conversation for the work that I did put in.
Speaker 4: But I didn't get nothing.
Speaker 1: Did you?
Speaker 2: Did you know that he was having a tough time when you guys got up there and we were trying to you know, never never.
Speaker 3: Looked at it like that. I never looked at it and had it because yeah, that ship was it was big flop. It wasn't a lot of furniture number. We didn't give a fuck. We was having a ball.
Speaker 1: Pool. Yeah, nineteen years old. You go to your big brother's mansion. You don't care what's in there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we ain't asked nothing. We was just we were just we didn't care. It is what it is, whatever, whatever, you know, you know, that's that's just how he was. But you know, like I said, though, I wish I would have knew about that stuff, you know, because you know, he wasn't really the guy behind the business part that part. It was sug that was behind that part. And I wish I would have knew uh and and had my name attached to it, you know, So just sh had two hundred and fifty million that they sold a little piece of it for it. I was like, God, damn, I could have got a little piece out of that. I ain't asking for a lot, just a taste that over there. That's that's a nice piece of change. It's a nice one.
Speaker 4: Twenty yeah, take that twenty meal.
Speaker 3: Warn you helped out a lot, and we bet my are bad. We didn't. We didn't give you no credit. But here you go, thanks because you brought a lot to us and you saved this motherfucking Look.
Speaker 1: Now you've got a family tree. That's incredible.
Speaker 3: Your branches, snoop, dass corrupt our x eminem fifty cent. All that come off my branch when you had another branch before it was above the law. His branch had above the law in w A and this that and this and and I added my my branch came up, came and got on Dre's tree. So that opened up for like I said, Eminem fifty snoop, all the artists that came after that, that he was part of that that that we opened it back up for him to be able to bring all that that back to the back into the music.
Speaker 1: So how long did it take for the Chronics to come out?
Speaker 4: Uh shit, I don't know.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 1: It wasn't.
Speaker 4: It wasn't a long time. It wasn't long at all. Because the whole chronic was inspired off of the riots.
Speaker 1: I promise you listen the skits.
Speaker 3: That whole the whole.
Speaker 4: Thing was was and that was dope with Drake did that skid?
Speaker 3: Uh uh North, Look this little African I'm gonna be a dead motherfucker.
Speaker 4: That ship was dope as fuck. Little ghetto boy brought that so deeply listening to.
Speaker 1: This deep cover before the cover, before all of that, Yeah, that's so that's the first.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was the first because we was we was just doing music, just messing around, thinking about what we was gonna do. And then shuld came like a soundtrack. Uh, we want you to do a something. I want Drey to do a song for a soundtrack. So Snoop was like, ship, I'll write it, you know, and he wrote it. He wrote deep cover, well, he wrote Dre's parts on there. They put him and Snoop did a collaboration on there and he wrote he wrote Drake parts and that ship blew.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 4: And then after that is when the riots.
Speaker 3: The riots kicked in, and that ship was so fun show because it was like how they're trying to do right now. I guess the peace treaties they're trying to do right now on the streets. It was like that, but it was like we it was a party every motherfucking day. A party in the nickoson is a party on the east side along with your party here. So we was partying everywhere like bloods, crips, yeah, everything. It was just it was fun, women everywhere and uh like a lot of that that's ain't no fun came from that.
Speaker 4: All that ship came came from that.
Speaker 3: Some crazy shit going on too, like as far as you know, people getting ribbed and you know, all kinds of stuff. So we was seeing and all kinds of ship. But it it uh that and all of that inspired everything on the.
Speaker 4: Crime on the mm hmm.
Speaker 5: So as you guys are now now, y'all gotta you're part of a bona fide hit, bona fide hit, which is, in my opinion, the greatest rap album of all time to me, that is that's my opinion.
Speaker 1: I think The Chronic is the greatest of all time.
Speaker 5: Thank you, you know, what I mean for your contribution to that. And you know, I definitely have yelled these nuts to a million girls that at that age, I'm probably like eleven, I'm just saying it to them, just thinking it's the randomst ship Ever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, relaxed, you gotta random. You don't even know what this comes from. You got you ain't never heard the chronic.
Speaker 1: So so now it's Snoops turned. So does it is?
Speaker 5: Is it the same attention? Make dreda superstar? Now make Snoop the superstar? Is that's kind of the same thing that happens within the label and everybody that's the crew that's there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, definitely all hands on that. Yeah, everybody go from here, like from working with him to go on here. But in between that is when.
Speaker 1: My separation came between before Doggy Style.
Speaker 3: Before dogs like right before a Doggy Style, because everybody was still surviving off the success of the Chronic. So it just it just got to a point where it was like people, everybody start getting signed and I you know, this might be one of the reasons why things wasn't, you know, like it was supposed to be, because I was I wasn't smart, uh business minded as in royalties and this, that and this. But when it came to everybody signing that contract, I told him, I said, look, you guys have a lawyer. Look at this shit like I know this is my brother and this is Shug and all these people. We love these dudes, but still have a lawyer. Look at it. It came from Dick Griffy to contract. So we was like, you know, we need to get a lawyer. And then you know a person had when told them that, I told everybody to get a lawyer. Contract, so immediately that put you on out. He came up, sure came running out that motherfuckering we're warning that blood. I took off, but I couldn't get down because it was the elevator or something.
Speaker 1: I'm hitting building. Yeah, so on the third floor, so you can't get that, you gotta I'm hitting that.
Speaker 3: Motherfucker trying to get down and uh and uh he called me, grabbed me, put me up against the wall.
Speaker 4: Like blood, you told him not to sign that contract, said she.
Speaker 3: I said, look, better get your hands off me, because when you let me go, I'm calling all my homeboys. So we used to bump heads. We bompd heirs a couple of times just bumping head, so that that probably was like but we was cool. But I guess when it came down to everybody really being a part of this thing, it was like, we ain't got no spot for you. So I was I was crushed.
Speaker 4: I went got at Drake like what's up, man, Like what's happening?
Speaker 1: Like what's going on?
Speaker 3: It's like, just go be your own man. It just don't even get involved in this shit. Just be your own man and do your thing. So I'm like you just imagine I look up to you, you my dog, like my best friend. You are my best friend. Uh, everybody else there and Nate and Dads corrupt everybody. I can't do nothing. I can't be with these niggas building and trying to do this and do that. So I was like fuck it, you know, I left, but then I was still coming around. And actually me coming around is what introduced me to getting my first placement because I came to the studio with Snoop and Drake and John Singleton and uh, Paul Stewart came in looking.
Speaker 1: For songs for the Poet of Justice sale.
Speaker 3: So I was I got at him like, look, let me play this record for you can you know, So me and Paul went to the car, popped the cassette in there.
Speaker 1: He was like hold up, you know.
Speaker 3: As soon as he that's probably maybe like fifteen twenty seconds, he was like, hold up, can I take this with me? I said hell yeah, And I said, just give me my ship back, you know, I want it back, and.
Speaker 1: Took it.
Speaker 3: Called me a few days after that, I said, we want this to be the first single to h the Poet of Justice soundtrack, and that was indo smoke and shit. I thought I was rich. So they said we're gonna get you a d rich. I think I got maybe like twenty some thousand dollars for doing that that song it was with mister Griham. I think he got maybe like twenty five. I got twenty five. But hey, yeah that was perfect.
Speaker 1: Then on the hook and that's and I brought Nate in.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I brought Nate in and uh ship that opened up the doors and and uh you know that opened up the doors. And right after that, John and and John and Paul got a call from a bunch of companies was calling them. But Paul was was really tight with with Death Jam. So Death Jam was chiming in, like we want to talk to the guy who did end or Smoke. So they was like, because it was mister grim already signed, you know, mister Griham wasn't.
Speaker 4: He wasn't signed. So neither one of your we wasn't signed with.
Speaker 1: A soundtrack placement. Yeah.
Speaker 5: See people don't, especially back then. Yeah, what that meant the first single to a major movie. Yeah, because they really was working those yes.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And both of the artists that are on the song are actually two of the artists on the song. I signed because Nate was death Bro.
Speaker 1: No, Nate was not with everybody then.
Speaker 3: Oh Ship, so we uh death Jam called and they was like, we want we liked, we liked the guys. The guy on the h on Endo in those smoke, I'm on the call with him. We like the guy on the Endose smoke. We want to sign him and this, that and this. So I was like, damn, I'm still was charged up because I'm like, yeah, I'm gonna get the I'm producing this whole album here. They can't tell me Ship. They was like the guy that that that uh had like the singing melody to his voice while he was rapping.
Speaker 4: He that's that's the guy right there.
Speaker 3: We want him at death Jam And I said, you mean, you know, hey in hell excel with my flow that guy.
Speaker 4: They was like yeah, I said that's me.
Speaker 1: I said, hey, that's me. He was like, well, we want to sign you.
Speaker 4: And I was like, you see, he's like yeah.
Speaker 3: I said, all right, Ship.
Speaker 1: Let's go and yeah to act like it wasn't him at first, which one you're talking about? Because I was the guy, so he was the guy.
Speaker 3: So I was like, shit, you know, I done graduated. I got an artist that's gonna get signed. And when he said it was me, I was like, oh, Ship.
Speaker 1: And uh.
Speaker 3: After that they came flew to La Chris Lighty, Tracy Wapples and Leo or Cohen flew to La. We went went to steakhouse, had some good food.
Speaker 1: Because are you living with dre Still no at this point, you know, at this point, at.
Speaker 3: That point, I was back in the hood. I was living with my sister on a Cedar street called Cedar and Long Beach. I was sleeping on the floor. Now, all I had was my crate, which was a bunch of the records from the chronic I had used to carry that crate everywhere.
Speaker 1: That crate.
Speaker 3: I still got that crate too, that crate, my my technique twelve hundred and my NPC sixty. That's all I had because I back then was just I was just a sampler as far as production wise.
Speaker 4: And that's that set it off. That set it off, and uh I did to deal with deaf Jam.
Speaker 3: They get I think my my budget was like three hundred and fifty thousand or something like that, and that it was like, that was amazing album, a whole album. But look what I did that. They was like, well, we want to set up the studio time and it's I said, no, no, no, I said, I'm gonna get my own studio.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna get my own equipment. I'm going right. I went right to nay Dean's and guess who sold me my equipment.
Speaker 3: Todd Dollars.
Speaker 4: Sign's daddy.
Speaker 3: No Tyrone his name, that's that's Ti Dollars Tyrone, his dad sold me my first equipment.
Speaker 1: So the whole regulated album is done in your apartment.
Speaker 3: Done in my apartment, right in the right into my bedroom and the bathroom was the vocal book. Vocal Yeah, it was crazy. But the song Regulate. Actually that came from uh I was. I was, I'm a super record digger, so I'll go to any record store no matter where I see it. I'm oh shit, I'll pull over and going that motherfucker just start digging and buy records. So I was on my way home one night, getting ready to go back to my apartment, and I was in Hollywood and I stopped at h Roscos and it was a dude out in front of Roscos with incensus shit burning and.
Speaker 1: He was just trying to make some money.
Speaker 4: So he was selling shit and he had a credit record, credit create record.
Speaker 3: So I said, I said, you selling those? He was like, yeah, I sell them for two dollars for a record, and this, that and this. So I said, nigga, I want to buy the whole CRK. So I was laced him poop poop poop. I think I gave him like five hundred dollars and I took the whole credit records and I took that shit home and was digging through the records. I knew, uh uh keep forgetting from my parents' point, but I was refreshed again when I dug through my records and playing them and I was like.
Speaker 4: Damn boom boom boom.
Speaker 3: I said, oh my god, if I flipped this, I flipped that motherfucker immediately. I've sampled it in parts, and I had it all in parts, and I put it together, put the samples together, put the drums together.
Speaker 4: So I pieced it all together, but I didn't have. All I had was the beat.
Speaker 1: That was it.
Speaker 3: So around that time, we used to have a saying where we were like, we gotta regulate this, but we got to regulate the situation. Hey, y'all got to regulate. That was our.
Speaker 4: Gotta regulation ship. So I was like, I'm gonna call this ship regulate.
Speaker 3: I had the title before Nate even got on the record on the record, so I had to think of like something that I could put on there as an introduction, like how we was doing on the chronic, like we would do introductions with the skits or whatever.
Speaker 1: So I had.
Speaker 3: I was watching Young Guns, uh, with Emilio Estevez and those guys. I was watching Young Guns and I came across the park where the guy said we worked for mister Tinsdale's regulators. When he said that ship, I kept listen, my shit opened up, like my eyes was like, he said, we regulated, and he's still in this he said, we worked for mister Tendale's Tensdale's regulators.
Speaker 4: Uh we regulate, uh we regulated it something.
Speaker 3: I can't remember everything, but I took though I chopped up each part though it didn't say that. And if you listen to the original when he say something, he says some other ship before he say, uh, we regulate anything that is probably we're damn good. All those were pieces. I put that together just yeah, yeah, earn you keep boop. I hit this one, took that part boom, sampled that part, sampled that part, and I put them together. And what I did was I remember the numbers on the VCR, and I took the quarter. I went from quarter inch out of the VCR into my NPC sixty. I mean I went from r C A to quarterings into to my NPC sixty. And that's how I sampled everything from up off the v OFF and that ship that when I played that ship for death Jam, they was like damn they they couldn't believe it. But I still think they wasn't like they wasn't like into yeah. So I made all of that ship up and I'm telling you. So I was like, I kept doing music. I had into smoke. It was bubbling everywhere. We had the whole are you shows?
Speaker 1: Are you? And mister yeah, we was doing shows.
Speaker 4: Actually that was that that uh that that got kind of ugly.
Speaker 3: We was doing shows and uh Graham started doing shows without us and and doing indoor smoke, you know, doing all kinds of shit. So we like, damn, what's up? Like that's why west us together? Let you know, let us eat too. So me and him started doing gigs and then Nate wasn't involved. So Nate got pissed off about it, and uh so we Griham was with me. I swear to God out of and set him up or nothing like that. But he was with me, and we pulled up at Snoop. So I'm not thinking that that Nate gonna be tripping. So Nate got off the car, I mean he got out. He came down from the Snoop's apartment, came down to the car and just started tripping on mister Griham, like nigga, what's up? So and then Joe Cool and they they roughed him up. Oh, ship roughed him up, And I felt bad because I'm like, but I was like, no, no, you know Trump, you know, in the mix of it, like get back man, yo. But he was doing some he was doing some things that wasn't cool, and I I was crushed about that because Graham was Graham was my guy. But I'm like, you can't. You can't do that, man, you gotta. We're we're a team. We when all these niggas that's around, we family, We tight.
Speaker 1: We don't do that.
Speaker 4: We don't cut nobody throat. We just we work together.
Speaker 1: So you can't do that.
Speaker 3: And you know, that's what I talked about on this do you see on my on the on the Regulate the Gfunk Care album.
Speaker 4: But that was that was a whole nother uh.
Speaker 1: Thing that happened.
Speaker 3: But after that, uh, like I said, you know, death Jam, I still kind of felt like because I was from the West Coast, it was like, yeah, you know, but they knew they wanted to work with me because of the style I had, and so I was the type and I'm still like that that. I was like, I'm pushed. I'm gonna push regardless whether they pushing for me or not. I'm gonna push. So I ended up going to the studio or with dra You know, I had into smoke cracking. I was cool. I wasn't tripping or nothing. So I will still go hang out with Drake, hang out with snooping them here and there, pop up at the studio. When hung out with Dre and uh, Mike Linn was one of his guys. Uh, I said, Mike, I just did the bomb ass song with Nate. I want you to hear.
Speaker 4: So I went to the car, same ship, went to the car, put the tape.
Speaker 3: You know it was a CD.
Speaker 4: This time, my step my game up.
Speaker 3: Then that guy was able to get a car from the from the budget and uh, so I had a CD player and played it and Mike Linn was like, man, and that shit is banged. He said, let me play this song for Jimmy kennots. I said, hell yeah, play it for him. So he played it for Jimmy because he was in charge of getting the talent for the soundtrack.
Speaker 4: So he took the ship to Jimmy.
Speaker 3: Jimmy heard it and was like called and and was like, we want this to be the first single on the Blood of Rim soundtrack. I was like, and it was regulate. So that's when sug and rustling all them, that's when they had to had had to talk, you know, and it kind of became like a pissing contest, I guess you could say. But they had to roll with the punches wrestling because this is these guys are these are my guys, and I want to do this with her, you know, So they had to roll with it and it became the first single, which it blew. It was good for us, It was good for us at death Jam. So we did the butter rim came out regular set it off the whole thing, so like four million. I ain't never got a royalty check from that from above and Ram either never got a royalty check, never got a royalty check check from above to Ram. I've never seen that shit on my ship from above A Ram. I get him now, but I don't get him from that from that never. So when I get a check from death Row, it'll be twenty of some crazy shit.
Speaker 5: So because that's what I was gonna ask too. With the sample at that point, I don't think it was the thing. At that point, are you guys having to clear samples or No?
Speaker 3: Well, with the with the keep forgetting, we had we had to clear that with the Doobie Brothers and Michael McDonald. So what it What how I got split was I had twenty five percent, Nate had Nate and death Row Will sure had twenty five percent, of Doobie Brothers twenty five percent, and Michael McDonald twenty five percent. But Michael McDonald was getting the Doobies in him. So that's how that that's how we was all split up.
Speaker 1: So but.
Speaker 4: For some reason, I don't know what what happened, but you never I've never gotten over.
Speaker 1: You did have album rights yea, and was able to put watch this twist. This is why Star Money podcast this business.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is why I started getting brutal because death Jam had and Sugar and Russell they outslicked uh uh Sugar. Now they was like, Okay, this is what we're gonna do. They said, Okay, the soundtrack boom set it off boomers. That's cracking. We took to regulate single, repackaged everything, and then we re released it again as my single, and and it was the first single off my single and then my ship sold for a million records, so regularly helped sell eight million records. Probably move I'm sure I'm just saying between two different albums. Yeah, and in the process of that is when I on top of that, I dropped this DJ Like right right when that was cracking, I dropped this on top of it. Boom boom boom boom boom boom. They was like wow and New York Arms was like they was loving the love to New York. Yeah, give me give me the year that.
Speaker 1: So def jam UMG is not sending any royalties from the UMG.
Speaker 3: Those These are other companies I wanted all as BMG. Okay, in the in the midnight hour was a company called Hajana, which was through Red. But the head guy, I guess now I don't know if I guess was Sony Red. I think it was Sony Red or Red Records or something like. It was something like Big Red or Red something like that. Now the head guy, uh, his name was. He went to the FEDS. So that album got lost in the shuffle to. When I looked recently, I'm like, who in the fuck is Peppermint? Because I'm owner in those masters, that's my masters, So where the fuck is my money at with this ship? You know, I've been uh not.
Speaker 4: Own it.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean like saying like because I'm like this ship ain't nothing but the headache. So I'll be like, fuck it, I ain't tripping, but that I ain't tripping is I should be?
Speaker 5: Trust Honestly, where most of these major corporations bank on, Yeah, they don't want to go through the whole process.
Speaker 2: So that I got caught up in that and the costs litigation costs. Yeah, that's how the big bank take a little bit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I'm my master publishing. All that ship is mine. I never that's all. That's my ship. And I got offered like back in the day, I got offered publishing deals for like a three hundred and fifty thousand, five hundred thousand. That was a lot in the back then.
Speaker 4: And I was like, damn, if this motherfucker want to give me that ship, what can I make?
Speaker 3: So went on tour. It was me r Kelly uh heavy d uh Me R Kelly heavy d Coolio the brat Ali was on tour with us. Uh damn.
Speaker 4: Who else was on tour was heavy boys.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we was all on. It was an out haming tour for great great dude, Like, I mean incredible when they when they asked me to be a part of the tour. He sent me like ten bottles of chrystal, a big ass thing of flowers just in the house fruit trays. I mean like it was shipped everywhere, and uh, just a cool dude, period. He made it everything laid out for me. I was on tour and I had an accountant. I had account before that that robbed me. I turned with one of my guys, turned me onto an accountant to where I gave him a you know, authority to sign for me for checks and shit like that. So I'm like, Dann, where the fuck is all my money going? You know, I was getting a little money here and there, but I'm like, damn, where's my shit going? And so I left him, got with an accountant. I made sure with that account I said, no sign and no checks mailed me my shit, And so they mailed me checks and stuff to sign because I had a little bit of bread from the death jam shit my budget and all that stuff. But I had Finally I got a royalty check and I was like, what the fuck is this? Like, you know, there was a lot of money, so I'm like, you mean to tell me this is what the fuck I made from doing my music and this, that and there. So I was like, damn that I really started going with Ham or Ham after that that said, oh, I'm in the studio every motherfucking day now, ship, So did you.
Speaker 1: Produce every song on that first album?
Speaker 3: Every song? Yeah, every every album you heard from me for every song, every song. Yeah, I did a lot.
Speaker 1: For for me.
Speaker 3: Record.
Speaker 1: That's why when he looked at that royal, he said, I.
Speaker 3: Wish I could have seen one of them chrownic royalty checks. Though, God, I need you know what I need to produce, man, my whole album do it? I need to just do I think it's time that. Yeah, but he just never does the whole album. He never does the album. Well, I mean you get like help as far as like if you need guys, like with the drunk, if you want some drums, like different.
Speaker 6: No, you know what it is.
Speaker 2: I get inspired differently by other people's you know, other people's artistic expression. It sends me into different places. But I'm really good at making sure that the collection of music all Mary's. You know what I'm saying, Like, I'm really good at that. And then it's like, you know, when you just started taking on the workload, and then you add kids to it.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying. It's like it's like do I have time?
Speaker 3: Yeah, believe me, I know it.
Speaker 2: I know when I was a kid, when you know, when I first got my NPC or first got my keyboard, first synthesized the Yeah, you know, I felt like in the moment I had a ride, I didn't know there was all of this stuff. Yeah, after the fact, you know what I mean. I never imagine, like as we sit here right now, I never imagine being here because I didn't even know what here was. Like when you look back on that and say, hey, man, I I just want to learn that, Yeah, did you ever imagine that you would be here and as influential as you are?
Speaker 1: Never?
Speaker 3: Never, never, never cross my mind like being you know, like because like people be like you a legend and this, that and this, and I'm like, damn, I didn't.
Speaker 1: I didn't. I didn't.
Speaker 3: I didn't think I was gonna uh, I didn't know it was gonna turn out like this. But but my my whole thing was and I'm still like that is I just want people to hear hear my music and be inspired by it and the high I get out of it is when we can all be in that mother party and having a good time. You know, because when I do my shows, I tell them I'm like, shit, I ain't just here doing my show. I'm here. We were in here having a week. This is everything I'm up here because I talk to him at the same time while I'm on the stage, and I'm saying, we having a conversation with us here even though I'm doing this music, and I really just be talking to him like about a lot of ship, and then it'll end up turning in right to where it's slam right into it and may be like.
Speaker 4: Going crazy and I'm like ship.
Speaker 2: Like that that on getting on stage and having people, having people share the intent, you know what I'm saying. Yeah, yeah, like at the same time where it's like this is what I this is what I designed this for. Yeah, and you're watching people actually look do it. It's like it's the coldest magic trick. Like I'm gonna I plan for your body to roll, yeah right right a minute in fifteen seconds, yeah and your body's rolling.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: What y'all know about my homeboy nd O double G Yeah, yeah, nobody.
Speaker 1: As a singer from the church as a as a singer from the church.
Speaker 3: Nate Dog.
Speaker 1: Is a full deacon. Yeah, he's straight out the.
Speaker 2: But but there's a certain there's a certain church. The voices are the voices are broken up in the sections, right. Nate Dog is definitely the least singer in the men's choir. The men was always men's was always the older man and it was always one of two guys and sing all the solos. There was the only two niggas they could sing. That's Nate Dog. Yes, how do you turn that voice into?
Speaker 1: When I met how? How does that happen? That's that's what you believe that.
Speaker 3: That's because we he came from the church. But then the street element, it was all ship though. Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 5: I remember when I first came out, when I first came to l A. We used to hoop when they dog, no, no, no, they dog would pull up in a limo.
Speaker 1: He had like a stretch. He had like a stretch. I don't know, I don't nobody else was limb.
Speaker 4: At the sublimo, so you know what I'm talking about.
Speaker 1: It was like a stretch, like escalator.
Speaker 4: It was a suburban We all that the sublimo bro, you thought I was lying?
Speaker 1: Yeah's bob. He would pull up to the l a fitness bro in a stretched suburban. Come hold half Yeah I mean you feel me with him?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's a blimo. Yeah yeah, it might have any with it. Yeah. He doing some work and that's a blimo.
Speaker 3: I get it, I know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what is really Nate Dog for y'all to see that put that voice in those spaces? Yeah, yeah, yeah, genius. Yes, yes, I took him and out the king of the hood.
Speaker 3: I will take him and and you know, I'll tell him, Nate, let's be different from everybody else.
Speaker 4: And he would just even he even sung.
Speaker 3: He I forgot how the song went, but he he While he was singing, then singing his verse, he added.
Speaker 4: That I have had the time of my life and girl, and.
Speaker 3: Then he said something true, it's the true. Oh that ship was cold. I got all of that stuff. I got records with me and him on on a that that I gotta. Yeah, I got crates. I got like three giant crates of just all the albums I did, all of this, all that ship.
Speaker 1: I did just and I just couldn't believe it. I think Deacon Nate Dog straight up.
Speaker 3: His mother. She don't mess with no wrap, no nothing, nothing but church directly, and she talked them to Tall. His whole family, her, his sisters, all his brothers, all of them came right out the church.
Speaker 1: Mm hmmm that yeah, man, bless brother man. Yeah, an original one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I got some.
Speaker 1: I got some songs.
Speaker 4: Uh, I got some records that that.
Speaker 3: Uh yeah, he got a I got a song with him called old Girl.
Speaker 4: Oh, oh my god, if.
Speaker 3: I why not, it's dope. I mean, I'm gonna drop I'm gonna drop it. Why God, I'd be liking to just listen to the ship.
Speaker 1: You selfish man, to listen to it.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna put it together. We got another one. We got one called Baby Daddy. I know it gave me love, gave me sex. You let my friends see your breast. I let my friends. I'm stuck with you nonetheless, because I'm.
Speaker 1: Your baby dad.
Speaker 4: It's whole, it's all. I just have to put my vocals on it.
Speaker 6: But we did it.
Speaker 4: I actually I did, but I didn't like it. I didn't like my vocals.
Speaker 3: But if I redid it, I would change the music. I still keep you know, I'm you know, he gonna still I'll just figure out what note what what? What?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 5: What?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 3: What notes he's in and then build around Yeah we're key in my bad and then build around it.
Speaker 4: But but but Nate, they was a monster.
Speaker 1: You owe what's that? Bro?
Speaker 4: I'm I'm gonna do it.
Speaker 6: Like that.
Speaker 4: Independent. I'm an independent guy.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna do it.
Speaker 1: But just even what you're just saying, Yeah, I'm around nigga. You heard this new nigga sex it? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, Yeah, I'm gonna put it together. Man, I'm gonna put it together.
Speaker 3: I got it. I got a lot of dope records ship that people ain't heard. That's really dope.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: I just love doing it, man, love just just you know, that's all just what I love to do. Just get in the studio, like the chemistry when I get in the studio with me and Snoop and the dog Pound, all of us, Rage and Joel, when we all in the studio RBX. Our ship is just the idea just comes out of like it could be anything, you know, somebody could could drop something on the floor or something. The idea come out of that, like we got a we got a song. Called joystick. We playing the motherfucking Xbox Nate till the engineer hold up, turn the mic on, because it was the beat was playing and we were just listening because we were me and he was working on the album at that time and the music playing, so he like, he said stop, turn on the microphone. So he turned the microphone on. He went right in there, put the joystick down, and when it when as soon as it started.
Speaker 6: She said, she wants to ride my joystick. She wants to ride she wants to ride it. Act like she won't and ride my joy stick.
Speaker 1: We was like.
Speaker 3: While we after we stopped the game, he stopped and told the engineer turn the mic on and went right in there and recorded that ship.
Speaker 2: I was like, oh my god, that's the that's the magic of making music. That that I pray that we get back to everybody. Just don't forget about men getting in those rooms together.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, and that's just making that music.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: I'll be telling all the artists out there, like they'd be like Warring, send me, send me a pack, send me this, like nigga, you gotta you gotta come to the come to the lab. Let's sit in here and vibe about nigga. I'm a barbecue the whole nun. We're gonna be in that motherfuckers having a good time and vibing and creat some dope ship because it's gonna happen.
Speaker 1: Of the Orange. Your top five R and B singers, h M, I don't say notes to the note.
Speaker 3: I got h Prince, Yeah, I got Michael Jackson, Anita Baker, Luther Vanros and Ronald Isley. Yeah yeah, by way a tank.
Speaker 1: By way.
Speaker 2: The Ronald close out is yeah. Yes, people don't remember. People don't remember the eras of ron Eisley sixty years. People get of People get so caught up in a lot of.
Speaker 5: That's not all up temples oh super temposht.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And I think I had to go to Rediscovered for myself. I was like, that's run honestly. Yeah yeah, yeah yeah. Top five R and B songs Uh.
Speaker 3: Oh wait, I mean it's it's hard. Uh, it's kind of hard because I love a lot of songs, Like I really love a lot of songs, but I these were some of my These are some of my top songs. Top this is gonna be my top five. Here is a golden time of day Frankie Beverly caught up in the Rapture of Love by Anita Baker, closed the door, Teddy Pendergrash, Uh playing your game, Baby very White, and uh Lady by the Whispers. Yeah, Yeah, I was gonna I had lady. I was gonna put lady uh from uh uh Michael Jackson's uh Lady, Lady Lady in my life. I was getting ready to swap, but I said, no, I gotta. I gotta keep the whispers in there. I can hear you rapping over golden time of day I have before, I just haven't put it out.
Speaker 1: I got it.
Speaker 4: I was hearing that boom boom. I hear you that I did.
Speaker 3: I gotta get us the music. Yeah, music and barbecue we need. That's That's why I got into barbecue. Because it's mute, because it all it's married, the barbecue.
Speaker 2: The family reunion, the picnic at the park, like all that is. There's a soundtrack to that. Yes, you know what I'm saying. Let's make a vultron. Let's make your super r and B artists where you get different characteristics for that artist. We're gonna add some wrinkles for you. First of all, where you gonna get the vocal from for that artist, the performance style, the styling of the artists, the passion of the artists, and who's gonna produce for that motherfucker. Let's start with the vocal. What one vocal you're gonna get for your super R and B artists?
Speaker 3: Oh way that I'd have to I would have to roll with on that one. I'd have to say Michael Jackson hm hm hmm first of all times, yeah, why not?
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: As far as the performance style, performance style style, Yeah, on stage, i'd have to usher m m yeah, yeah, yeah, why not usher mm hmmm. Styling, the drip of the artist, the drip. Uh let me see, uh uh let me see uh drip. Uh Oh my goodness. I I'm gonna have to row oh ship if I.
Speaker 4: Uh they might now the drip, I would have to.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, uh ship, let me see who was Who's uh damn mm hmmm Michael Michael style the drip? Uh god, damn it?
Speaker 4: Uh mm hmmm, Oh my god, let me see.
Speaker 3: Uh uh.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, that's gonna come to me.
Speaker 3: Guys, give me gimme uh oh man, uh.
Speaker 4: Uh well, passion, I'm gonna say the passion.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna say, uh Prince, Yeah, yeah, I mean yeah passion Prince and the Drep.
Speaker 4: I would have to say, uh ship uh ship tank.
Speaker 3: You're trying to tell your pretty Oh yeah, nigga ain't nothing but Mary gave with jewel.
Speaker 1: Nigga, shut up, you shut up?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, no, you know you know how to dress.
Speaker 1: Insane? This the ladies telling you I was I was chilling.
Speaker 2: I had a certain easy, you know, decent, regular style until he walks into my closet and says, were burning all this ship right, burn anything, burn it. So after I burned it, it sent me on a mission to get to get runways you get fly.
Speaker 1: I want to be early on him. I'll take chances on him. Man, Yeah, I want.
Speaker 2: You're gonna be You're gonna be decided on my fit. You either would never wear it or you you would, you would, you would wear it right now. You ain't gonna be in the middle. No gonna make you make a decision. That's what fashion is. It's self expression.
Speaker 5: Huh.
Speaker 1: You should have never said that we're gonna produce. Man who's producing for this artist?
Speaker 3: Uh? Let me see any producer? Uh yeah, Uh, I will say myself, but I wouldn't.
Speaker 2: Why not?
Speaker 1: Yeah, he should I produce it album?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it ain't many very small company. Yeah, I mean listen and really produce it. Yeah, really do the word, really push those buttons, really look that up into the Yeah, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Go from r c A yeah to quarter rich and yeah.
Speaker 3: Now, I mean I get down a little bit throughout the years of uh, just being around a lot of music and people that sing, kind of like I didn't have to go to school for music there, you know what I mean. It just it just automatically just starts sinking in. In the beginning, I knew what I wanted, but I couldn't do a lot of it. But it's slowly built on me to where I started messing with the keyboards and just start damn, okay, this is this boom boom, Okay, it's starting to come together to me to where now I know, you know songs, I say, I want to do this song and see minor and I know what the scale to see minor scale, so I know where to go with it, and and and add like a bunch of stuff add in like the horns or the strings or or even the choir. I just did it. I just did a record for me and Wiz called mad at All to where I I brought in the choir towards the end of the song. I didn't bring them in during the song. At the end of the song, they come in like like damn there, like we're in church, and just just I mean, I just learned the whole lot, just through my journey.
Speaker 1: You know, you would learn that that that reducing is orchestrated.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: The vision of the record. I'm gonna pull Quincy Jones's thing sometimes if I have to, and I was. I was a huge fan of Quincy. What blew me away is Curtis Mayfield reached out to me. This was before he had passed, well before he had that No, this is why he had after he had that accident.
Speaker 4: He reached out.
Speaker 3: He wrote me a letter. I gotta find that letter. I have it somewhere in my all my ship. I just don't know where to look. I got so much ship. But he wrote me a letter just how he loved what I was doing, you know, and that that like really you know, made me say, damn, I'm really ordered this ship and.
Speaker 1: You are absolutely a part of this question.
Speaker 3: And I was just because I'm like I said, I got all of the black exploitation soundtracks and he was a part of a lot of them. Yeah yeah, I even I even I would go by Leilo shifting uh sound, you know, all the movies he was involved in. I would dig, even Quincy Jones. I would just dig and just study them. And even like the younger producers today like Metro Boom, and I study him, but I'll be listening like, damn, this nigga sounds he got. He got really musical. You know, he ain't just like a beat maker. He's really musical. Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: That's the West Coast producers that has always it has always fascinated me, like the music reality, like like it's it's always a guitar, always horn, yes, but then it's got this thing under it. It's like how dog and that ship jumping?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I love that.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah. So we had a very very important part of the show.
Speaker 5: Yeah you tell us a story funnyer, fucked up, funny and fucked up.
Speaker 4: Well, it's it's funny and fuck.
Speaker 1: The only rule to the game you can't say no name.
Speaker 3: I ain't gonna say it. I won't say it now. It was a guy, you know, it was the person I was on tour with, and this person had I mean, if this dude was like, you know, we became cool later on after all, you know, after we had the boss up on him to let him know, like, hold up, motherfucker, you got you got it, you got it. Fucked up.
Speaker 4: I don't know who you think we are.
Speaker 3: Was was telling us that when we was all on the same tour together, but when he come through the hall, everybody got to turn towards the wall, like niggas you crazy, and we nigga turned against the like y'all gotta turn face into.
Speaker 1: So we made it out.
Speaker 3: We made it our point to stand right in the middle, like we gonna stand right here, nigga, what you're gonna do?
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: So it became, you know, it got to where it almost came the blows. But all the security on the tour, uh put us together, put us said, Okay, we gotta settle this. So what we did is we had a basketball game to settle the differences. The nigga was good. He was good, yeah, but look he was good on that and that that with that y. What I used to do was like, Okay, I ain't gonna I ain't gonna bother this motherfucker no more. We ain't gonna get into it, get into it no more. So I would do my show and then when he come on stage, what I would do, I was cracking. I was like the young like Drake or you know the ladies love like. I was like the young all the ladies. I was tank the lady. So I he this nigga perform on stage. So I come out on the on the side. And when I come out on the side, all the girls everybody like they scream, and he would bring his ass. He bring his motherfucking ass right over there, right by.
Speaker 1: The speaker, dump.
Speaker 3: Like trying to blow everybody. Yeah, and they still all the lady calling my name. I'm like, yeah, nigga, yeah, hey yeah yeah. They they won't me. So I had to get him back. So I would do that ship a lot to funk with him.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 4: And he was just like this mother fucker, and I mean it was it was crazy.
Speaker 3: And then he it's some other stuff. I ain't gonna get into that, but this dude was a trip like uh, with his with his uh his background singers. All of that he told he was telling all themfuckers, y'all bet not go around them niggas, none of that ship. I was like, damn.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah it was crazy. Uh but that that was a crazy story.
Speaker 3: Uh yeah, that uh to different Other than panties and balls and ship flying on the stage, that was normal.
Speaker 1: It was, it was, it was only right, only what.
Speaker 3: I got.
Speaker 1: I got to do my little last bit of tour in the nineties.
Speaker 3: You know I wouldn't.
Speaker 2: I wasn't the lead artist. You know what I'm saying. Genuine was the But I was like, is this they say, you'd have been the main artist. Yeah, yeah in the nineties me in the nineties. Way, Lord, the Lord, save you, preserve time. He said, we gotta get him out the nineties.
Speaker 1: You don't come out. You don't come out to you don't come out.
Speaker 2: To the two thousand, because if you if you have behaving like this as Genuine's valet, ain't no way, ain't no way that you sing lead.
Speaker 1: In the nineties.
Speaker 2: He would let me man or wouldn't let me do it, because it was it was, It wasn't right as we look at it now. And look back on about I'm telling you, wow, free for all man. Man the buffet, Yeah, all you can eat. What's the what's the rib?
Speaker 3: Call the flanking a flanking, flanking everywhere, everywhere, everywhere, Brother Warren g listen, man, I'm I'm I'm I'm very happy. First of all, we're very appreciative. But we're coming up here man, rocking with us.
Speaker 1: Man. We love what you do. I mean my brother, my brother knows lyrics, lyrics, lyrics, all the words like all.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying, like your your your your culture, man, your your your soundtrack to our lives, bro, and that and to us, that is important, even even the little things, even the things that we don't know that that maybe you would have been like, you know, that's cool and I'm not tripping on that. Those those are still gems man, Those are still uh important pieces and contributions that again are the soundtracks to all of this ship and the reason why we're able to do what then we do. Yeah, for sure, those doors Listen. I'm one of those samplers. You know what I'm saying. It was going from R you know what I'm saying, and going from x L R going from I'm one of those kids, you know what I'm saying. So all that I'm listening to y'all, how do they where did they grab? I go and I buy a record store that is going out of business off by four boxes from them. Yeah yeah, so that I can do that? Yeah, yeah, you know what I'm saying. So you know, you you're you're, you're you're important to us. Brother, your story, your music, your barbecue.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 3: And as a and as and as a father of an athlete who made the NFL, yes and day, yes, there's that.
Speaker 1: Shout you out for that. Man.
Speaker 5: You know, we all got we all fathers, we all got kids play sports. Man to have that moment too, because everybody knows and music. We all love sports vice versa, they all love music. So to be able to have a son who played in the NFL and a man.
Speaker 1: That's yeah, you can gratulation that. Thank you man, shout out to your son. Thank you. My name is Valentine and this is the R and B Money Podcast, the authority.
Speaker 3: On all things R and B.
Speaker 1: Yeah, gangst the R and B gangs stuff. Nobody.
Speaker 2: I don't know who you, I don't know what you want to put it on, but we got the man, the myth, the legend man. And and still yes warned, yes,