Speaker 1: Film Spotting is presented by Regal Unlimited, the all you can watch movie subscription pass that pays for itself in just two visits. See any standard two D movie anytime with no blackoutdates or restrictions. Sign up now on the Regal app or at the link in our description and use code film spot twenty six to receive fifteen percent off.
Speaker 2: What kind of a show you guys putting on here today? You're not interested in armed?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 2: No, Look, we're going to do this thing. We're going to have a.
Speaker 3: Conversation from Chicago. This is film Spotting. I'm Adam Kempinar and.
Speaker 1: I'm Josh Larson.
Speaker 4: I'm Carrie Linda Garden.
Speaker 3: You got the car, you've been brand new, burnt numbers here. You want your own wife, kidnap our dad.
Speaker 1: He's real, well owned, so.
Speaker 3: Why don't you just ask.
Speaker 4: Him for the money.
Speaker 3: See, these are personal matters, personal matters. Thirty years ago, the Coen Brothers were the quirky team behind five features, most notably and profitably raising Arizona. Fargo made them Best Picture nominees and star Francis McDow dorman a Best Actress winner.
Speaker 1: This week, we'll try to cool you off with an anniversary review of The Wintry Crime Caper, plus Olivia Wilde's The Invite and David Wayne's Gail Daughtry and the Celebrity Sex Pass. That and more. You betcha ahead on film Spotting.
Speaker 3: Welcome to Film Spotting. Last week here, Josh, we discussed the biggest moneymaker of nineteen ninety six, Independence Day. That's how we celebrated July fourth and that film's thirtieth anniversary. Now we're going to discuss what I think was the best film of nineteen ninety six overall, and that's Fargo. Back on episode I think three seventeen, before you joined the show, we did our top five films of nineteen ninety six, and I did have Fargo in the number one slot. You know what it was competing with in the number two slot.
Speaker 1: Ninety six.
Speaker 3: Any guests, Oh gosh, I don't think.
Speaker 1: I don't even think I have a top Breaking the Waves, Trainspotting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Breaking the Waves actually I think was my number five, but number two was another film, coincidentally about a small town sheriff investigating a murder, which I don't think I realized at the time they had that in common Lone Star from ritactor John Sales.
Speaker 1: Of course, solid list. You know, it's just registering now that we are doing back to back nineteen ninety six films. I don't know exactly that didn't hit me earlier, but we haven't done. I have to look at that and see what my top five of ninety six would be. I had not start compiling top tens at that point, at least on my website. I feel like James and the Giant Peach might be up there for me. I remember loving that from that year. Spike Lee had I think Get on the Bus from that year. I don't know if I would have put that in my top five, but a good film, yeah, I have to revisit ye. But we're doing our best these last two weeks at least.
Speaker 3: Well, this isn't so much about getting in the time machine and going back to nineteen ninety six and commemorating that year. It's really about our pantheon project. Fargo is a film that is in the film spotting pantheon, but we have never discussed it, and we are going to remedy that here on this show. You also caught up with a movie I'm eager to see Olivia Wilde's the Invite that expands to more cities. This weekend, we both saw David Wayne's Gail Daughtry and the Celebrity Sex Pass. We'll have some talk about both later plus poll results. Our listeners are going to weigh in on the best pair of nineties blockbusters. Some good feedback there. A reminder, Film Spotting is now available as a video podcast. You can watch us talk over at YouTube dot com slash film Spotting up. First, Fargo at thirty.
Speaker 5: Did you look in a citation book?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Vehicle E Rodion was a Tan Sierra at two eighteen am under a plate number for DLR. I figured they stopped him or shot him before he could finish filling out to tag number. So I got the state looking for a Sierra with a tech starting DLR. They don't got no match yet.
Speaker 5: I'm not sure that I agree with you one hundred percent on your please work there Low.
Speaker 3: Thirty years later, it's easy to forget how decisively Fargo reoriented the Cohen Brothers' careers. Nineteen ninety one's Barton Fink earned Joel and Ethan their first three Academy Award nominations Best Art Direction costume design and supporting actor. But Fargo was easily their most commercial, critical and awards circuit success, earning seven Oscar noms and winning two. The film was so instantly highly regarded Roger Ebert said, it emerges as one of the best films I've ever seen that when the American Film Institute put out its one hundred years one hundred Movies list a couple of years later, it was Fargo, not Best Picture winner The English Patient that made the cut, the most recent movie to do so what was so different about this Cone's effort? Reading reviews from the period makes you wonder if the mischievous brothers didn't set a movie in the frozen tundra of the Midwest, winkingly to show critics what a truly cold movie was. In Sight and Sounds in May nineteen ninety six issue, Lizzie Frank cited it as a common term for their ludic, ironic approach to cinema and the detached precision with which they unravel their stories. In her March eighth New York Times review, Janet Maslin called them coolly cerebral filmmakers. Oddly coincidentally, Frank and Maslin both used the word perversely to describe Fargo's great irony that despite the film's frigid sending and noir inflected plot, which finds a Twin Cities car salesman scheming to have his wife kidnapped to collect the ransom from his rich father in law, the Cones reveal a surprising warmth. While I vaguely recall some claims of contempt at the time, there's undeniable affection in their portrayal of Francis mcdormand's incessantly hungry seven months pregnant Minnesota and ice, Marge Gunderson and her droll duck painting, ice fishing, egg making husband Norm, son of a Gunderson played by John Carol Lynch. So much affection, in fact, that we could discuss whether the Cones have presented another such vision of earnest tenderness, since whether such an abundance of heart is good or bad depends on your perspective. On a twenty twenty two episode of the Unspooled podcast with Paul Sheer and front of the show Amy Nicholson, Amy tempers Paul's enthusiasm for Fargo, calling it the Radison. You know it's pretty good. She just prefers her Cone movies to be more Coheny. According to her, it's their most naturalistic. They're having the least fun behind the camera. I'll note here that Fargo was their third straight collaboration with cinematographer Roger Deakins, and because of that shift in tone, they perhaps were being rewarded for being nicer human beings. It's not a lesser Cone film in terms of talent, but lesser Cone in terms of the amount of Cone that's in the film. Amy concludes rating it on a scale against two titles she prefers, raising Arizona and The Big Lebowski. Josh, I want your perspective. Do you take issue with any part of Amy's assessment of Fargo? How much do you weigh the amount of Cohen that's in the film when you are judging any Cone film? And where does that leave you with Fargo?
Speaker 1: Oh, you're setting me up to disagree with the great Amy Nicholson's fair. I do one of our favorite critics, and I understand where she's coming from. I get the impulse. I also feel not having a full handle of her understanding of the Coen Brothers. If you name Lebowski, and raising Arizona as among their best. I understand what you're looking for in a Coen Brothers film. That is definitely a particular vein. It is one I appreciate as well, and Fargo's now operating in that register. Absolutely. I would disagree, however, in that it is warm and fuzzy. I think I understand where you would land, especially those original reviews comparing that to the movies that came before from them. But I find this for me, this is a question when it comes to the Cohen of nihilism on the far end in their movies, and flickers of hope, glimmers of grace amidst really bizarre, awful evil. That's what a lot of their movies hold. And so I have always thought of Firego as one, despite Marge Gunderson's presence, that falls closer towards the nihilism end, closer towards the no country for old men, and closer toward the battlet of buster scrugs and a serious man. That's how I think about their films, so than realism or naturalism, it's nihilism, and perhaps we have a reason to livesm I don't think. I don't think we ever go for full throated hope to a Coen Brothers movie, although some offer something like that more than others, and I still land there with Fargo. But I appreciate the nuances it brings to that attitude more and more every time I have revisited this movie countless times, Adam, and it is continually revealing new depths to me. I'm thrilled we get to talk about this. We have some movement on a ranked list for me, which you know does happen when we revisit films, but not always. This isn't dramatic movement, but I'm going to be bumping Fargo up further after this revisit. And yeah, I just think it has to do with where it's landing on this central question of evil again in the world, what possibility there is to resist it as an outside force. And here's where Fargo moved ahead for me as an inside force, as an interior wrangling that we have to wrestle with. I identified this earlier in William H. Macy's Jerry Lundegard, that he's the everyman. He's not the hard and criminal, but he's the guy more like us who might find themselves in a somewhat similar situation, what choices would you make? What would you do? This watch Adam, And previously I saw Marge as an opposition to that, as the you know, the shining hope, the warm comfort, the force of gentle justice. This watch, I recognized Marge's struggle with that question as well. How do we make the moral decisions within ourselves? What does it even mean for Marge? That's something I had not considered before, and I think is a through line here. I think a key scene for this is the most perplexing, mysterious scene for anyone who watches Firego Mike Yanagita. I want to break down Mike Yanagita as we get to this, because I think it's it unlocked this for me in regard to Marge. But yeah, Fargo's brilliant. I don't have the same problems. It sounds like Amy has. I think the filmmaking is there. If it's more subtle, we'll talk deacons. And I also think that you know, you could argue even no Country is maybe more naturalistic. I think we get a fair amount of cohenisms here, especially in Steve Buscemi and Peter Stormeyer's back and forth as the criminals the hardened criminals here, So I do it does sound like I like Fargo better than Amy for different reasons and see it a bit differently than her as well. Is there any shifting here for you in terms of in the Cohen canon or on any of these questions you just raised.
Speaker 3: I'll get there, but I already had it in my top three and it's definitely staying there in my top three. I think this is the first time I've watched it though in its entirety, since I saw it in the theater. I don't know how that's possible, but I have said, and this is usually the case with these Sacred Cows, I don't get to revisit a lot of films, and that might just be because of the number of children I have, and also doing this show, I'm usually trying to see new things, and I'm always prioritizing new films, and that's why we end up doing these Sacred Cows. That's the impetus for these types of reviews. So I felt like I was seeing this, even though I do also feel like I know these scenes so well, I felt like I was seeing it with very fresh eyes. I do want to note that Amy definitely doesn't say the movies warm and fuzzy, nor do I think from what I saw Janet Maslin or Sit and Sound do. But they do say it's warmer, and I think Amy's actual word that she says is there's some warm heartedness. I do really like your dichotomy, and I think that that's appropriate. I see that as well. Maybe we can call it nihilism versus optimism. Some optimism that's definitely there. I also want to give this perspective, and we've dated ourselves in this way before. I certainly have multiple times on this show back in ninety six. So here's where I'm at. Seeing this in the theater. I really begin my journey as a cinophile in ninety two ninety three. I saw Raising Arizona as a kid. Loved that movie as a kid, but I don't know who the Coen Brothers are. I'm just enjoying that movie. So two hugely important movies to me as I'm starting to become a serious movie fan are Miller's Crossing and Parton think renting those films, just trying to process those as narratives which Miller's crossing. Maybe I'm just now figuring out when we wrestled with that a few years ago, and we we put that back in our feed just a few days ago, wrestling with those as narratives, processing those two, processing the filmmaking, they were formative. So then a few years later, just a few years later, I get to go see a Cone Brothers movie in the theater on the big screen, and not only that it's being hailed by everybody as their best film, and not only that one of the best films of the year, and then I go in and it delivers. I also think it's incredible. That may be part of why, even though I do think I've only seen it once, maybe I rewatched it once over one other time over the last thirty years that I don't recall. Maybe that's why this film still does have such a hold on me, Why even though I hadn't seen it recently. When I formed that Cone Brothers list, I put it there in the top three. I agree with you. I do think there's a flaw in the comparison with other films like Raising Arizona in The Big Lebowski in that just very they're very different movies. She gave Paul the choice if three TVs are on, and those are the three movies playing? Which which one are you watching? I don't really know how i'd answer that question, Josh, but I do know that one's a screwball comedy effectively a live action cartoon, and the others an absurdist genre subversion. They are, They're just they're just way more playful and coolly detached. But they're also going for laughs in a way that that Fargo isn't, even though Fargo is often very funny. You're right, it's just not operating.
Speaker 1: It's a volume. It's a volume level for me as well. I think Raising Arizona and Lebowski are operating at a hot, higher volume compared to Firego.
Speaker 3: Yes, I think that's appropriate to the camera work point. It may not be as ostentatious with the camera as some of their other films, But and I've obviously listened to more of the conversation than you have, I don't think Amy gives the cinematography enough credit. I think we may get into that a little bit more, but I would say the biggest issue is I think it's distinctiveness, as you are speaking to how the film does still not only then, but still stand out in their filmography. I think that's what makes it special. That's not something I hold against it, and they are my first or second favorite living filmmakers. Their top three films on my list. Certainly could we all say this, but it's true, could be rearranged daily. I don't remember when I put the list together on letterbox Josh, but when I made it, I did put No Country at number one. I put Fargo at two, and I put Inside Lewin Davis at number three. Now, before I looked at the list on letterboxed, I actually thought I had Fargo number one, and after rewatching it, I was ready to come here on the show and say, great, it gets to stay there, firmly ensconced in the number one spot. And maybe Lewin Davis is a carecter who doesn't offer the warmth and the heart that margin Norm do. But for me, he's a richer character, He's a more complex character. I think he's tormented by this push and pull between the solitary life of the artist and just his natural bastard self and recognizing that there could be another path, a path, a path of optimism and hope, like Margin Norm, something that a more domestic life that could be satisfying perhaps, and there's a soulfulness and depth to that character combined with all the movies big ideas that I really connect with. And I just say that all to illustrate how much I do love those three films. And that's the reason why I could even put Lewin Davis quite honestly in that top spot. But when I rewatched this Josh, I was very comfortable keeping it there. And before I dig into the main reasons why, I'll say that whether it's movies like Miller's Crossing, The Big Lebowski, and Barton Fink where I liked them but didn't fully appreciate them on first viewing, or a movie like Lewin Davis, which I love from the start. Cone Brothers movies, they don't just reward rewatches for me. I feel like the best way to describe it is that when I'm lucky, I'll detect a cipher. There's some kind of code, there's something that unlocks the movie for me that helps me to understand and appreciate them more. And I think, maybe going back to my setup thinking about these movies in those in those terms about how precisely crafted they are, maybe cipher is the is the best word. I did find that here something was unlocked for me here watching it this time, maybe maybe a couple related things that we can dig into. That that did, even though I'm going to keep it in its number two spot, that did even elevate my esteem for this film.
Speaker 1: Well, let me get my ranked list housekeeping out of the way for me. I'm going to move it ahead to the number four slot. I head at number five. I'm moving it ahead of Hale Caesar, which I love, you know, beyond most people. And I did have that slightly ahead of fire Go, but I'm swapping those two. So I'm moving fire Go ahead of Hale Caesar to number four. That means it's still behind my top three, which are Miller's Crossing. As I've talked about on the show. Did see that in the theater? For whatever reason, they were on my radar? That film was on my radar. I think, you know, Debbie and I were into gangster movies at the time. That's why it was on my radar. That was like the WHOA, what is this experience with Miller's Crossing? And so that makes it tough to knock it from number one. After that, I have No Country, and then another unusual pick for me, I have True grit as their third best film, but Firego's coming up on that. You know, to your point, if I watch those two back to back, who knows what would happen. But easily moving this into number four after this rewatch what unlocked for me? It's an extension, I would say, audam of something that was gradually unlocking the last time I watched this, this was twenty twenty one, so not that long ago. We were doing to think Christian movie Club series on the Coen Brothers at the time. And it's interesting it's related to something you just said, which I think is correct, comparing Lewin Davis to Margin Norm. You know this domestic happy life they could have on this watch how happy is this life that Marge and Norms share? And I'm not saying this is something that I entirely missed earlier, or that is even a criticism film. I think this is a nuance that the film is offering that I didn't pick up on until now, because I probably just love this notion of Margin Norm as these contrasts not only to the Cohen universe but to the Fargo universe. It was so cozy to get any scene of the two of them and catch your breath away from Jerry's frantic Maine, away from the frighteningness of the criminals, away from all the other elements in the movie the cold, Away from the cold exterior scenes. Here is Marge and Norm sharing a meal together, quietly happy. Just let me have that.
Speaker 5: What do we got here? Arby's how's a paint?
Speaker 2: Coin?
Speaker 1: Pretty good?
Speaker 3: Oh no, the Halpman's are entering a painting this year.
Speaker 5: On your better Nam.
Speaker 3: They're real good.
Speaker 4: They're good, Norm, But you're better Nom?
Speaker 1: You think so?
Speaker 5: You got Arby's all over me?
Speaker 1: I think, to the movie's credit, it is more complicated, and on this watch, you know, I think it's really about Marge's awareness of her own susceptibility to some sort of moral failure, and that a key thing this movie is asking us is are humans capable of contentment? And this is in opposition to another human drive, which is greed, which is what's driving everything else in the film, right, and contentment is a virtue that this movie shows us is so difficult to cultivate. And here's where Mike Yanagita comes in. So again, this classmate, high school classmate, does that sound right? Or yeah, he had to be high school right, Yeah, I don't think he was a college classmate. So high school classmate calls Margin in the middle of the night because he saw her on TV investigating this case and wants to meet her up in the meet with her in the Twin Cities. And I think this whole sequence presents her And maybe some people got this the first time around. I know I didn't in nineteen ninety six. It wasn't until again, the most recent visiting where this kind of opened up for me. They meet, and you know, notice what Marge wears. She wears this blouse that we haven't seen her in anything like that for this meeting. She touches her hair a little bit before approaching him at the table. She goes there so supposedly to follow a lead for the case, but she doesn't make that decision until after Mike's call. And notice Norm's response, his surprise that she's going to go there for this. And I just think here that we're seeing Marge. Once Mike clearly starts making a move, she rebuffs his awkward advances, but that mortified look she has, she looks down, and she realizes for the first time that he'd been fooling her, and she'd been fooling herself.
Speaker 3: I shouldn't have done this such.
Speaker 4: I thought we'd have a really tearth time. You were such a super lady, and then I'm so lovely.
Speaker 1: In a sense, it's almost like that question Marge asks Stor Mayor at the very end, Adam, And for what? Like why why did you? Was it worth all this? And for what? It's almost like you could be asking herself, or is asking herself that same question in that moment, Why am I here? And for what? And so it's not just Jerry, it's not just the killers. Where we're living a moral life is the Sisyphian task, even in a loving marriage like margin Norms, it's a Siciphian task because you gotta get up every day. You've gotta here's the imagery. You've gotta go scrape the ice off the windshield. Yet again, the perfect moment in this movie of Jerry failing to do that, his Sisyphian boulder is the ice on the windshield. It's gonna come back. You're gonna have to push that rock up again. You're gonna have to scrape that windshield again. The prowler is always gonna need to jump. This is just living a life of contentment, which is so hard for us to do. And this was the first time I realized it's hard for Marge as well, which just made her, of course, so much deeper of a character.
Speaker 3: This is gonna be very ha hard because in order to get into margin norm and to get into the Mike Yanagita scene, which as far as I can tell, Josh, people still either wildly I won't even say they wildly misunderstand, because anytime I hear anybody talk about it, they just kind of throw in the towel. And I actually don't think it's that complicated. I think it's complex, but I think there's lots of ways to come at it, and I think there's lots of conclusions we can draw from it, as you already have. I want to discuss both of the things that you just dug into, but in order to get there, I have to explain what my unlock was, and that may take a little while, so I'm trying to I'm trying to best figure this out. I will note very quickly that you do love true grit and I've always known that about you, and True Grit is the movie I most need to have that second watch experience with. And I'm praying. I'm expecting, but I'm praying. I liked it. I liked it quite a bit, but I'm praying that the unlocked will happen. That that is just hard to get sometimes in the theater with any movie, but especially with a Cone real.
Speaker 1: Quick, real quick, I find and perhaps their most optimistic, which may be why I.
Speaker 3: Had it there. Yeah, so let me try to explain how I get to where you're at. But my path and I think I think people, at least based on what I've heard over the years, may underestimate the significance of the opening text that this is a true story, the events depicted, that whole thing. You know. Everybody sort of goes, Oh, those tricky Cone brothers, aren't they funny? Playing with our expectations and keeping us on our toes? And my take this time as Fargo remains gripping decades later, not just for its craft and darkly comic story, but for the way it turns myth making, storytelling, and deception into its central preoccupation. That's what myths are myths are fundamentally just storytelling and deception. We've got fundamentally a movie about people who lie that opens with one right, it's not based on a true story. The filmmakers tell us a lie right off the jump. And even the name, even the name of the movies a bit of misdirection since it almost exclusively takes place in Minnesota. It is about Minnesotan's but it's called Fargo, and even the name and if this is too simple, I don't really care, but even the name Fargo is symbolic of the nature of lying and what we see happen in this movie with violence in this scheme too. Once you start, how far does it go? Once you start? You can't stop. The lies just continue to compound, right, Jerry can't stop the kidnapping from happening once he sets it all in motion in Fargo. And what I love about the opening exchange, and this is something about the movie overall, Josh, that I just think is brilliant about it, not that it should be a surprise. With the Coen Brothers film What is It? Ninety eight minutes, I truly don't think that there is a scene that's wasted at all. In terms of I don't story, story plot plus character. In that opening exchange with Carl and grimsrude or maybe we should just call him BOUSHEMI and Stormare, they don't just accept the deal, right. They ask him a bunch of questions. They want to understand the story. They want to understand why he's asking them to do this. What kind of trouble you and Jerry Well, that's that's I'm not gonna get into into. See, I just need the money now, her dad, he's real well off, So why don't you just ask him for the money or your wife, you know, or your wife Jerry.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 3: One of their their great screenwriting strokes is that they for the entire movie withhold the reason why Jerry needs the money. He withholds it from them, which means they also withhold it from us. We're in the same position the hired thugs are the entire movie, right that we have no idea and Boushemy and we don't need to know. It doesn't matter. We just know he needs the money desperately. And so when Bouscemi says this, he goes right at the end of that scene at the bar, he goes, Okay, Jerry, you're tasking us to perform this mission, but you won't. You won't. Basically, he's saying, you won't give us the details, you won't tell us why, and then he goes, Okay, let's take a look at that, Sierra. We as an audience could be saying that to the Coen Brothers. Your task us to perform our duties as audience members to buy into all this, to get invested in this and go on this journey. But you're not going to tell us why he needs the money. Oh you know what, efit. Let's just get the plot in motion. And I love that. But even if you think about it, Josh, why is the movie said in BRAINERD because it's it's a fun word to say, because they wanted, you know, the silliest sounding small Minnesota town. I bet there are others that could compete with that. It's because it claims Paul Bunyan Babe the Blue Ox, which everybody says when BRAINERD is mentioned, Paul Bunyan's not real, Babe the Blue Ox isn't real. They're characters out of folk tales. They're they're part of the mythic Great White North. They're part of this story. We there're stories we tell ourselves to define ourselves. Right, And almost every single scene, this is where Yanna Geeda comes in certainly right, almost every single scene. And I'll hold off on getting into my proof here because I want to get to the heart of the matter. Almost every single scene involves storytelling and truth or deception in this In this film, there are so many of them. So how does this fit in with what you were saying? I think what we see in this movie ultimately are the Kohene brothers playing with and subverting myths surrounding American life and the American family. And maybe one of the key ideas, certainly that we're sold is that happiness is possible, and not only that happiness is possible, but that it's that it's required, that it's that it's it's an expectation of American life. And so in this movie we get here's the thing. I think we get three distinct visions, at least three distinct visions of dematic life. There's the one Jerry pretends to be living and that his wife firmly believes that she is living. Okay, then there's margin norm and I am gonna I want to discuss the ending a bit more and yanagita, but I'll just say overall, I'm with you that I have always read it as very loving, black and white. You know, very clear that they that everything's perfect, and I'm still very close to that. I love for sure that it's a happy marriage. Clearly they depend on each other, the way he he insists on making her breakfast because his pregnant wife needs to eat, needs nourishment, no matter how early it is, and of course fix or some eggs, and then of course he's there to help give the prowler a jump. I love I read it this way. I love that when when they meet, no matter what's happened on the job, I like that he doesn't ask her a bunch of questions. I think it reflects the fact that he just trusts that his wife knows what she's doing. He doesn't need to get into her business, he doesn't need to offer her any tips or suggestions. He's letting her do what she does. And I do think, even though I want to unpack it more in a minute, I do think that that last line, heck, norm we're doing pretty good here, is genuinely moving. At least it was this time. I didn't give it much thought in the theater in ninety six. This time genuinely moving. But here's my big point. Aren't the two criminals just sort of replicating domestic life, but a completely deranged version of domestic life. They've got a house, they're staying at a house with a wife. He's even eating a TV dinner when we find him. He's eating TV dinners. And the thing is they're miserable out there. They could just be making choices we're talking about, like making choices for happiness. They could just be choosing another path and living that domestic life for real, rather than replicating it as part of this crime. And they could have a functioning TV where they could actually get reception and watch whatever they wanted. And in some ways it's even a dream alternate reality to suburban family dreams, because who doesn't dream about having a second house out on the lake, right, But it's a terrible experience where terrible things are happening inside that house. And it even just occurred to me here at the last minute that that comedic duo of stormare in Bouscemi is so perfect and it fits a very conventional comedic mode right to have opposites, the small guy and the big guy, the guy who talks too much, the guy who doesn't talk at all. But if you put it into this scheme that I'm talking about, they all almost feel to me like the split personality of the quote unquote conventional American husband ones at home, he's gruff, he's silent, he's completely emotionless. He's just there eating his dinner, unhappy, ignoring his wife. And what's the other doing. He's doing what other husbands do. He's going crazy out there on the lake as we hear about him, and he's stepping out for trists with a prostitute. It's like there's a perfect schism there. And watching how Josh And in nineteen ninety six, this would have been true to some extent, it would have been truer in eighty seven, when this movie is set. Something about how we consistently see at the end and earlier scenes the glow of the TV, all these different characters in their different settings, watching like The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson, that same glow, no matter their situations, no matter how messed up they are, all these characters are just ending up in the same places. They've all just made radically different choices to get there, and all are experiencing different levels of happiness.
Speaker 1: To your point, Yeah, and I think I love the idea of them as this bickering couple. They're definitely to take a historical look at this. This was the era of the loquacious criminal couples, wasn't it, or at least just criminals. Because we've got this is nineteen ninety six, following Usual Suspects in ninety five, and then of course we get what pulp fiction in ninety four maybe the definitive the trend setter for this. I think about Boushemi and Stormare when they're arguing about stopping for pancakes or steak, you know, pulp Fiction's raal with cheese comes to mind. There Also to your description of their first meeting with Jerry in the bar, I love in addition to the things you talked about that they try to talk him out of the plan because it's so dumb. It's like these all these guys have is like money to make, but they're so perplexed by his choices they try to talk him him out.
Speaker 3: Of the story. It doesn't make sense, It doesn't check out. That's what I love it.
Speaker 1: A great screenwriting touch there. Yeah. So the only other thing I'd add about margin Norm and it sounds like we are in the same place. I just I just want to re emphasize again to place her mindset and decision making and sort of moral awakening here in context. I read their lunches. I read them this time the same way you did. He doesn't get into her business. At first, it was like, so caring, but also yes, but if he's doing this every day, it's almost become more routine. It's a nice routine. It's a caring routine. I think every time we see them together, unless they're in bed, they're eating, they go to the buffet restaurant, and you get this sense that maybe this is like what they do every Thursday night, you know. And the camera pans over the options, which don't look great, but it's what they've got, it's what it does the job. Right, there's a reading of this where marriage is doing the job for Marge and Norm and should there be more? Right, that's the question. Should I have more? That's the question for Marge in this very minor domestic scenario. It's the question for Jerry in his life scenario, and it's the question for BUSHEMI and storm Are and their criminal scenario. You know what, how can I get more? Because I deserve more? And I think Jerry is interesting in this regard. Another thing that nuanced a bit for me was again I saw him as the everyman, the one we can relate to. We probably don't run scams like the vin number scam he would want to do, but you know, we make our own moral choices here and there and fudge things and maybe it could snowball out of control. So we can recognize Jerry here though, I saw him as even more devious than that, and sort of like one of the original sinners of this movie. If Marge is presented with if life has presented her brought her to a point where she is being challenged with a question of right or wrong. Jerry, I thought, was maybe born looking for the wrong choice. It's the true coat gag the customer who yells at him, you're a bald face liar, you know, telling us that Jerry does this even in his supposed legit business. Was Jerry's original sin possibly marrying jan for her family's money. I was thinking about it watching this where originally I thought he's just a guy who, you know, has a bore of a father in law who's holding it over him because he wasn't at successful. Then I'm reathing Jerry and everything he does is for his own gain. I'm thinking maybe this guy was like ask Jan out on a date in high school because her dad was rich, and now he's just perpetuating that further into his life. I just think, Macy, you know, Jerry was I think my number five Cohen character when we did that list, and the performance here is incredible, incredible in its own nuance. His face looks like he has a continuous case of diarrhea, yet he manages to project so much more going on beneath that. And I love the touch when Marge knows Jerry's line when in one of their interviews when the Midwestern politeness drops. Everyone else throughout this movie, not the criminals. Everyone else is polite no matter what the situation. But when Jerry says, ma'am, I answered your question.
Speaker 3: Ma'am, I answered your question.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry, sir, ma'am, I answered your question. I answered the dark. I'm cooperating here, and there's.
Speaker 1: No the light changes in her eyes because she's like, he would only say it that way if he was lying.
Speaker 5: Sir, you have no Kyle to get snippy with me. I'm just doing my job here.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I think it does relate to this general idea of when we can't cultivate contentment, what choices are we going to make? Then that'll be destructive for ourselves and for others. It relates to the line you pulled out at the end, if Myerge doesn't fully believe that yet, she's recognizing that contentment might be possible here with norm It's going to be work, you know, the ice scraper have to come out again. But I think she's recognizing this is the choice that she's content to make to go.
Speaker 3: In that direction. A couple titles I wanted to highlight this week, josh as I was looking at the Regal Cinema's website r egmovies dot com. Plus there's a link in our show notes that I hope people are clicking on. They have two limited engagements of note and these may be playing at different times wherever you were located, So just visit the website check it out. But they're showing American Psycho and they're also showing my neighbor Totoro. You never go wrong seeing Miyazaki on the big screen, which I've never seen any of these older movies on the big screen. And then American Psycho, the Mary Heron movie is a film I desperately need to revisit. But in addition to those limited engagements, you can of course see the movie that is expanding to more screens, the movie that you're highly recommending, the movie that seems very likely to be on a lot of midyear best of lists and quite possibly some end of year lists. It is The Invite, Olivia Wilde's new film with Regal Unlimited. That's a movie I can see for free. Regal Unlimited is the all you can watch movie subscription pass that pays for itself in just two visits. Regal is offering our listeners endless movies for less, because all you have to do is sign up with the code film Spot twenty six to get fifteen percent off. You can see any standard two D movie, and last I checked, there isn't a three D version of The Invite, Josh, not that I'm aware of. Okay, So you can see the Invite, no blackout dates or restrictions, and you don't just save money on tickets, you save on snacks as well, ten percent off all non alcoholic concessions. Sign up now in the regal app or at the link in our description. That code again is film Spot twenty six to receive your disking. I want to get a little bit more into Macy and how I saw the character this time, which is very similar, if not exactly how you're reading it, But to get back a little bit to Marge and Yanagita, specifically that scene. I don't I guess understand as I mentioned earlier, how people are coming up so blank on this scene. I was trying to.
Speaker 1: Think what I think it is. I'll just say real quick, I think it's the length of it. I think it might be like and I don't think it's too long. I'm not saying that. I just think if it had been a blip, like almost the conversation between the one trooper who goes talk to the neighbor who overheard Bushami say something that's like a minute and a half scene, I think then people would have been fine. But that Yannighita gets a significant chunk is what really perplexes well.
Speaker 3: I think tied to that, Josh, I think it's genuinely this may sound like more than I mean it to, but I think it's genuinely a disturbing scene too. I think it's a hard watch. I think the emotional terrain that he covers in that scene makes us uncomfortable, and I think that's where the humor even comes from. I was trying to think back. I don't remember exactly the experience I had in the theater in nineteen ninety six, but if you asked me what my recollection was, I would tell you that I think I remember people laughing, and that I might have even laughed myself because Mike is so desperate and he seems so lost, and the way he is trying to cling to Marge, even though he seems so sad, he's so pathetic that you kind of can't help but laugh. But I think it's more that uncomfortable laughter rather than really laughing at him. And this time I didn't feel that type of discomfort. I just felt real sadness for this character. Now that might be because I know the truth of his situation, but in terms of how that scene functions in the movie, his lying seems to trigger her right the next day as she's driving out of town. That seems to be the trigger for her thinking. This goes back to my idea of storytelling and deception. Something doesn't check out with the story I was getting from Shep and Jerry. I'm going to go back. I think that was part of it, that just the night before she heard this and in the phone call that morning where it's revealed right that that's she just finds out that morning before she got in the car that she's been lied to. Obviously, I also think, to my entire point about the myth making element, he has concocted an entire narrative around his life to earn her sympathy. That's absolutely essential. But then he has as part of that narrative he has revealed that all he is seeking in life, all he is clinging to, is the hope that maybe someday he'll have a relationship like margin Norm have. That's another vision of domestic life. It's the absence. It's the absence of having someone in your life that can be that that other to you, like like Norm is for Marge. The thing that is very interesting is seeing at this time, as you did, where she puts on that outfit and she kind of adjusts herself, and you go, she is she getting herself ready because she wants to impress Mike. Is that entering her mind at all? I always read it as it's the first time. It's the first time we've seen her outside of her work clothes. It's the first time we've seen her in civilian clothes. And so when she's kind of pulling at her clothes, it's like she almost doesn't know what to do with herself. She's in civilian clothes, and it feels it feels awkward. And do we really think that she hasn't seen this guy in a hundred years and she all of a sudden is having some fantasy about him, like like she's thinking about another life with another guy that isn't norm That seems a little bit hard, hard to swallow, but maybe it does just open enough of a door, just enough of a portal in her mind that what happens. What happens is when you watch then that last scene, that last line when she says, hey, we're doing pretty good here, you can realize that two things can be true at once, that she absolutely means it, that it is true it's with full conviction that she loves Norm with all her heart and he loves her, and they can't wait for their baby to come and they're going to be extraordinarily happy for the rest of their lives together. But it is prompted, She's provoked in a way to say it because it is a bit of an affirmation. She feels like she needs to say it, that she needs to affirm. If you're fully content and you know it, you don't need to necessarily reinforce it. You just exist in the moment. The fact that she needs to tell Norm that everything's great right suggest that she needs to hear it for herself.
Speaker 1: But I also think a fallacy that the movie is exposing is that in a world that the Cohens usually see as messed up, if not outright evil, that's what we see in their movies. Maybe happiness is impossible, maybe it's just not possible, but but something like contentment is that's kind of that's kind.
Speaker 3: Of thee Well, that's took a read for me.
Speaker 1: I think it's I don't know that they're always going to have this perfectly you know, happy domestics.
Speaker 3: As much as any happy marriage is moments I guess that's Josh. Yes. But the the other thing I did, I did just want to add, going back to my my notion of of of myth making here and storytelling is what stands out to me too about that scene is what precedes it, okay, because he has entered his painting into that contest and he wants to win. And throughout, as I said, felt this entire movie, people have been stretching the truth outright, lying, doing whatever they have to do to get what they want, and only causing fur their damage. And in this scene, he's upset because he didn't win. He says, the Houtman's blue wing teal got the twenty nine cent and people don't much use the three cent, which is what he got. And there's something that I'm still fully unpacking, Josh. But when I was thinking about the way I read the film, I love the fact that she says to him, over Pete's sake, of course they do whenever they raise the postage, people need the little stamps. And he says, yeah. She says when they're stuck with a bunch of the old ones, and he goes, yeah, I guess like she tells him. She tells him a little story, the story he needs to hear, and how how true is it? Maybe it's fully true, Josh, Maybe it's fully true, because yes they do when they do raise the stamps, you do need the old ones. That is a reality of American postal life. But it's still something a wife is telling her husband to make him feel better. So there's something about the fact that that you're that the movie in that final moment is encapsulating the truth and a story that he needs to hear. But there's also some symbolism in it where it's like, times change, the stamp, this this steady thing. Times change. But you know what, we'll just digest and we'll move on and we've got each other and we'll be fine.
Speaker 4: People don't mutch you the three cent Oh, of course they do. Whenever they raise a postage, people need the little stamps. Yeah, when they're still with a bunch of the old ones. Yeah, I guess it's terrific. I'm so pretty and normal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it works for that reading. Absolutely. I think it's a nice gesture of the goodness they do have in their marriage. Neither of us is suggesting that this was a false marriage that they had Barge's response in that way shows how much they do care for each other, and in my reading it absolutely is a symbol of contentment. You're not always going to get the twenty nine cent stamp. You know what, Maybe you can be happy with a three cent stamp, and she helps him find out that he can be happy with that. Okay, last thing on Mike Yanagita, because I just realized this with this viewing, Adam. We've seen Stephen Park given credible performance not that long ago in Wes Anderson's The French Dispatch. He was he was Nascafier, Lieutenant Niscoffier, the chef for the police Commissar. So how about that, because I just think we also need to give credits as I think we've been hinted at Tuparc in the tightrope he's walking in this scene where he can't make the guy a joke. I agree with you. He registers emotionally incredibly strongly, even as he's very silly and awkward and off putting at the same time. I mean, this is a tightrope back and to just come into the movie for one scene like this, and perhaps it sounds like deliver the definitive scene. Yeah, what a what a performance there by by Stephen Park. Do we need to say more about McDormand or do but we go here?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I want to talk about McDormand and Deacon's but I do want to say something about about Macy if I can, even though I go to Echo, I'm gonna ache have a lot of it, you said, I. I do think it's a stunning performance, the desperation that he conveys, and specifically in in the meeting with with Stan and Wade, with the father in law and his guy Stall in that meeting when it when it turns, when he realizes the moment where he realizes it's not it's not going to go that it looks so promising and then it flips and he realizes it's not going to work out the way Macy silently conveys that this is sunk and he knows he is screwed. Is is so powerful and and I say powerful because I will get into this more in just a second. I do think it for as much of a weasel and terrible person that he clearly is who sets all of these terrible things in motion, I do think he is remarkably human and that comes through in his character, but performance wise too is.
Speaker 1: Real quick there and that moment you're talking about, you know what it is. He's doing two things. He's conveying the desperation that his scheme is falling apart simultaneously. The other side of this, this was the way for him to get respect from his father in law as a man who can make that money. And Macy hits both of those notes without saying a thing.
Speaker 3: That's exactly it. The tiny voice crack this gets right at that. And I'm going to talk about this with Deacons too. And in one of the choices with the production design and the way they shoot it, you said, maybe he always wanted Maybe his original sin was was something back he dated her and married her just for his mind, or maybe this was a building in his mind of insecurity over time, maybe he's he's felt that he's never gotten the respect he deserved from life, including his father in law. And when he says to Marge, well, I should know I'm the executive sales manager, and he has to say his title, his full title, and the way his voice just subtly cracks on his executive could not be could not be more more perfect, and I also want to go back and note that that that true coat exchange is one of the more memorable sequences in the entire film, and and that that too, this is his flaw and what makes him human but also a character on the level and and this is the the playground that the the Cones play in on the level of a Greek character or a Shakespearean character. His fundamental tragic flaw is that he is, perhaps in seeking this respect, part of it is that he is I believe incapable of being honest. I believe that he is fundamentally incapable of telling the truth. He can't stop himself. It doesn't matter what that guy says. It's not about the money. What's he going to get out of that true coat another four hundred dollars. He does not care about the money. And he even and I think Macy captures this and the Cones capture this, he does care about the guy calling him a bald faced liar to his face. We get the close up. You can tell that it does hurt him, It wounds him that he's called a liar to his face, but not enough that it stops him from doing it. He'll do it every single time, because it's in his nature to do it and he can't stop himself from doing it. But the way you know that he's got that insecurity as well is when he says and that in that meeting scene, you know, well, this will be a real good deal for Gene and Scotty, meaning he says, Gene and Scotty have nothing to worry about. Yeah, yeah, doesn't matter. It doesn't matter about Dagger. He's completely inconsequential. But they will always Yeah, they never have to worry, is what he says. They will always be taken care of. So yeah, I think he's always I think he's always fighting for that. But to the human part, as I said, you see that he's wounded, but not enough to ever change. How about when when they say after the crime has happened, and I think Stan maybe says something about like how Scotty taking.
Speaker 1: Oh gosh, poor Scotty, Poor.
Speaker 3: Scotty, who's such a little twit at the beginning, but you of course genuinely feel for him at that moment. You see on Macy's face, on Jerry's face that he of course hasn't thought for a second, nope, how this is going to affect his son, and I think you see that he is thinking, oh no, this is going to be really hard on him. He does care how this will affect Scotty, not enough to change anything that he's doing. He's even ask Scotty to lie on his behalf right, and he's going to continue every part of this deception because again it's in his nature and he can't stop himself. But he does care. So the fact that the Cone Brothers make him that kind of character, with that depth, and the fact that Macy portrays all of that is crucial to the success of this movie. And one deacons thing I'll say, and maybe this will transition into some of the filmmaking and we'll circle back around to the best actress is there's a shot Josh in this film. I think it might be the second time Riley Diefenbach Gmac calls about the serial numbers. Yeah, and I think it's that because they then cut to a wide shot looking at his office across the showroom, like he's in profile standing at his desk, and we see the office from across the showroom and the way that the production design is set up, the way it everything is is established with the framing his office looks like he's in his cuss. Yeah, it looks like he's already in jail. But not only that, we add to it. It's like this daytime noir touch where all the beams in the showroom look like they've imprisoned him. But not only that, beams and the shades, the blinds in his office all are vertical, and our additional bars that are holding him in. But here's the thing I noticed this time that really stood out this guy. Here's how insecure Jerry is. This guy has more trophies in his office. It does than Tom Brady does.
Speaker 1: He.
Speaker 3: I don't know if he's sponsored. I don't know if he sponsored Little League teams or or know what they are.
Speaker 1: What they are, you sell ten true coats.
Speaker 3: Get there, you go. Maybe that's it. Maybe all he wants is the trophies Josh has. He they go across one wall and then over the other, and and the way Deacons and the Coen Brothers frame this is that in his door there's a reflection that shows more bars and trophies. So it just amplifies it even more. The way he's already a prisoner, and the fact that he is just inundated. He's his office is overrun with trophies. It's incredible.
Speaker 1: It's so good. And I broke that exact thing down when I did that TC Movie Club thing a couple of years ago. I made a video essay for it, and yeah, pulled that out to emphasize it. Maybe I'll link to that in the show note. So it's fun to look at that again. Deacon's brilliant here, and the thing I think of first, It's the thing I think of first with Firego is this wide out visual milieu which they employ. I love the midwestern setting just so that it is a quintessential American film and giving us something that's not you know, New York or La crime movie. But it's also so effectively used as mood and thematic visual support. And what they're capturing here is that moment and we know this because of where we live. When it's been snowing for a while and it's starting to warm up just a little bit, the sky is not clear, and so the snow is evaporating slightly, but it has nowhere to go, and you just feel like you're encased in gray. Right, it's all of one. Let's go back to our back Room's Exit eight conversation. It's a limital space we're in here. And again, if I'm seeing this movie as mostly a meditation on how to navigate a moral universe when everything is murky, could there be a better It's the first thing we see of Jerry's car emerging from this where Marge has arrested Stormare, and she pulls over and waits amidst this white out, so that for the other police cars to arrive, we get variations of it even on night at night. Think about that scene where Stormyre is chasing the people who witness them shoot the trooper, and we have that karahead disappear into the darkness. So much imagery here of not quite being able to see what we want to see or get our bearings for where we are. And that is practical, but it's also deeply existential for almost everyone of these characters. And when we think of great cinematography, I think we think of dramatic lighting. Lighting, We notice landscapes that are clear and overpowering colors just like wow stuff. And what Deacons is doing here is take making the most mundane, banal visual elements you could hand a cinematographer and creating deeply monumental, important, impactful meaning from it in visual terms, it's genius.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And just creating atmosphere that you feel. You don't have to necessarily dissect it, you feel it. The opening is that everything about the opening of this film with that car emerging, and you described it so well, But then you do also have to add in how effectively that's working in tandem throughout the entire movie with Cargomerwell's score.
Speaker 1: Oh gosh, and all this time.
Speaker 3: This I'm going to use to support my overall point about this film too. That main theme he's using, it has that feel to it, and you look up a little bit some of the details on it. He's taken a Norwegian folk melody. This this is it is something people recognize. This is something people know. He's reappropriated it, right, This is a familiar tune and he's using it in a new way. But the shot that I do think of and the camera isn't You're right, it's not doing dramatic things. It doesn't have to. It is how it makes you feel. It's what it evokes when you watch that aerial shot after that meeting, how it goes so terribly wrong, and you know that he has no chance of getting this money. That aerial shot of him walking to his car, and his car is the only one in the parking lot, but you have sort of those planters in the lights. The emptiness of that, yeah, isolation, the bleakness, and then yes, the indignity of the windshield scrape on top of it. It must not be that clever of a thing to say, because you said it and I had it in my notes too. It is the midwesterner's version of Sissyphis's boulder, that is what it is. And he just he just gives in and lets the boulder roll over him right totally. He just loses it. He just can't take it anymore. But but the way the county roads are shot, the endlessness to it, the endlessness of the fence when when plants the scraper, like we know, without knowing anything else that's going to happen, that nobody is ever going to find that money until it thaws, of course, But but nobody else is ever coming back to find where I got to help Scott?
Speaker 1: Is it? I don't know, I don't know how, But can Scotty just come across it.
Speaker 3: You hope, But I even noticed this, Josh when that that here again, it's an expansive wide shot, and it's just how it how Deacons uses the environment, uses that white that white space. When Marge has just shot storm are grimsrude and she we we see her make that long walk as he's laying down and as she goes out the way is this the poster too, The way the way the trees, the way the trees on the land are bent, It couldn't be more perfect. It's as if the trees even are are bent towards him, like they're like they're incriminating him somehow. There's something about it that just feels so right in that moment and ominous in a way. Just an extra little bit of that tension that you need.
Speaker 1: And your point about the tactile nature of all this, you know, hurt the crunching in the snow when she's walking out there, when any characters really are walking outside, they're very attuned to putting that noise on the soundtrack. There is so much, you know, foggy breath in the air. We feel the heavy burden of these sweaters and the parkas and the gloves and the hats, and it all again is not just cultural context even it's also thematic context. I did not know that about the Burwell score, but that makes perfect sense because I think of it as being having quaint elements. I would exactly then builds to this momentous which speaks to your point about the myth making this momentous almost you know, biblical sense when it really starts to swell. So yeah, I think this is absolutely all time work from Carter Burwell, as we're as well, and it does work really well in concert with the cinematography. They are of a piece.
Speaker 3: So Marge, we've been talking a while, but we do need to talk about the Best Actress winner, Marge Gunderson here a little bit. What stands out about her performance? To you? One thing that stood out to me this time is realizing that in a ninety eight minute movie, the Best Actress winner doesn't show up until thirty minutes into the film. Oh crazy, it's amazing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I didn't. It was more of a character realization, as I talked about at length here about Marge's wrestling with contentment. But in terms of the performance, I would just say, and honestly, I look at I don't know why we did this our Coen character's list, and I had a group of canon characters at the top that I didn't allow for my top five, which meant Marge didn't make my top five, which is absolutely asinine. So I don't know what I was thinking with all of that too. The hell I felt then too many characters to consider. I don't know what I was doing anyway. The performance itself, I think, is on an even more nuanced level than what Stephen Park is doing with Mike Yanagita, but asked essentially to do the same thing is to be funny and moving and carry the existential weight of the movie. And I think McDormand manages all those things. She makes Marge's whip smart. She has her own sense of humor that's not outside you know, you could argue, and maybe one the nitpicks with this goes back to the loquacious Criminals, is that Storm Mayer and Bushemi, as entertaining as they are, are very much movie types, right. They're funny the way people are funny in the movies. Marge is both funny for the movie and a funny person. And I think that it takes skill. For mcdormant to be able to do both of those things at the same time, she's completely believable. She's part police chief, part your favorite primary school teacher. You know, she's like the school teacher doesn't want to yell at the kids, but if she has to, she will, and she'll do it firmly, and you know she doesn't. Basically, she's always seems disappointed but not reluctant to arrest a wrongdoer. And I think it's because she sees the good in people or wants to. I think it relates to what I've been talking about. I think she sees and thinks of herself as good, essentially at the bottom of it good and is deeply distressed when she realizes that she might struggle with things too. And if you are asking her to also do all of this in that last it's not even a conversation. The monologue too, Stormayer in the back of her prowler, just musing. There's one thing, Adam, when you ask a character to deliver the thematic huft of a film, and the character is doing that. In other words, that's in the realm of the story. The character is giving the lesson in that scene, we're getting the thematic huft of the film, I feel, and Marge Gunderson is realizing it herself in the moment as she's talking. And that's the level of performance we're getting there, is that this growing self awareness that is opening up to the character the same time it's opening to the audience.
Speaker 5: There's more to life than a little money, you know, don't you know that? And here you are and it's a beautiful day.
Speaker 3: The best performances always feel like they're not overly calculated. They feel like real life. They feel like characters are discovering themselves and their emotions or whatever their epiphanies are in the moment. And that is how this character feels throughout, not only with important ideas, but also just moment to moment with the humor. We now or in the wake of this movie, we can call on certain lines or it becomes sort of an SNL type punchline with the accent and certain things that she says. But when you watch it, when you actually watch her say things like that's your accomplice in the wood Chipper, she's not mcdormand's not overdoing anything in this film. She is downplaying everything and playing this character completely straight, and to your point about her seeing the good and everything, you can actually argue she's not that great of a cop because shep is totally suspect and Jerry is very suspect based on their behavior, and what does she do. She takes them at their words. She's about ready to head home without further investigation. But that's also something I like about the character is people describe Marge and I also in fairness. I mean, mcdorman's wonderful. There's just no questioning that. But a lot of times, if we're being honest with ourselves, when we're talking about how much we love a performance, a lot of times we are talking about the nuance of the character and the dimensions to that character and what that performer brings out. And with this character, nothing the sheriff, nothing Marge Gunderson does, feels extraordinary. And that's so appropriate for this film because in so many ways, not only is it the Midwest and whatever, but in so many ways this film is puncturing this notion of traditional crime thrillers with many things that it's doing, and in that regard, this sheriff is not one of those detectives or one of those lawyers where they have some extraordinary talent or always come up with some magical insight at the last minute. What does she do. She's just doing very solid, fundamental police work. That's how she solves this case. She's just following leads. Yeah. And and the thing is that even Lou and the other cops, even though maybe we maybe we want to be a little condescending or someone could be because of their accents watching it, guess what, they're fine cops. They do their job too. They do their job well. The only thing that she is smarter than Lou about is that she deciphers what DLR means. Otherwise they all do their jobs. There's nothing there's nothing actually silly or dumb about any of those characters. There's no there's no Barney Fif's here. And so I love the fact that she's she's just a good cop. She's a good sheriff is what is what she is, And the discovery to her character I think is really app There's just no there's no glibness, and there's no attempt to play Marge as a funny character.
Speaker 1: And that's so important, which brings us, you know, back to I think it sounds like from that conversation Amy Nicholson did observe and was right about, is like there is this there's not only this interdecency to Marge, but there's a appreciation of it and a yearning for it in others to Marge, which does stand outside of the Cohen can I think absolutely.
Speaker 3: Just finally going back to Macy real quick and myth making or storytelling and deception. His best scene, his best moment might actually be when he has to perform and we start off camera hearing him rehearsing what he's going to say after he finds out the gene is gone. Yeah, and and then of course what happens when he actually gets on the line with the real receptionist or whatever. He can't he can't perform. He just wage gust of simple or whatever he says. You know, he just he just goes into normal mode. But he's he's rehearsing it because he knows at this point he's he's supposed to do something. He's supposed to pretend, he's supposed to put on a certain behavior. But I said that the movie punctures our expectations in that way. This is the brilliance again I'll use that word of the Cone Brothers moments like Bouscemi walking up to the glass, and rather than it feeling like a thrilling moment from a crime movie, the break in, she does what I think a lot of us actually would do in that moment is we'd sit there and go what the hell is happening? We wouldn't know how to uly react, And she doesn't really react until it gets crazy when he breaks the glass and the violence Josh of the dark humor the way and only the Cone Brothers do it on this level, that balancing of dark humor, where when she comes out of the shower like a chicken with its head cut off with a shower curtain and falls down the stairs, there's a part of you, inevitably that wants to or can't help but laugh, because there's something apherently funny about a character running around like that, even though it's terrifying. And then what happens later it's mirrored when she gets out with the bag over her head at the house at the lake and she starts running around again crazy, except now they're nothing funny about it. Now we know, now we know what those characters are capable of now we know that she's in real danger, and it's it's it's a heightened experience from a terror standpoint.
Speaker 1: Real quick, and maybe listeners can help with us. It's something I noticed regarding that break in sequence when she's watching that morning TV host or TV show. The host says they're talking about a cruise event that they want a contest, they want people to enter, and I think the the host ends signs off with like, that's the truth, Ruth. And I'm thinking to myself, I think that I've only heard that and do the right thing, right Jackson, and and so I did a quick search if that's a phrase that pre dates do the right thing, and I didn't. It has anything. There must be something. It was just like so bizarre that that shows up in this like whitebread morning TV host. Now that's the throwaway sequence in Firego. I was like, what is going on here? If anyone knows the backstory, let us know. But I think we've had a day so much about Firego. That's where we've ended up on that little tidbit.
Speaker 3: Bargo currently streaming on Netflix and twob and is available vod. Let's take a minute to thank family members Joseph Carr in Barnett, North London, and Michael Soderberg in Tucson, Arizona.
Speaker 1: Thanks to them both, they wrote in with a few notes for us. Joseph told us this membership has been a long time coming. Okay. The first email I sent to you, guys was in twenty time film Spotting number three oh seven, which was a Mattie Ballgame plus guest Steve Procopi episode about musical moments. So it's been at least fifteen years. As for Michael, he said, I don't remember how I found you, but I'm a fairly new listener. I think one of the earliest episodes was Hobbs and Shaw in twenty nineteen. I remember really enjoying the mix of both high and low art in your selections that, let me make clear at him that is Fast and Furious presents Hobbs in Shaw.
Speaker 3: Yes, thank you, good movie. I don't think I agreed with you quite as much on that episode, but tie back to Fargo. High and Low, a kidnapping movie that's one of the Coen Brothers' favorites. Appropriate to our Fargo conversation. I love that Joseph got turned onto film spotting with an episode that neither of us were posts on and he's still listening. That's a good stuck around. Okay, Favorite show segments, Joseph says, it's the marathons that I fell in love with. There are so many that have opened my world. Lubitch, Ray Brassan Ofles, That's Satuga, not Nicholas Oofles, Iranian Cinema, all of which I'd probably never have come across except through film spotting. But if there's one marathon that stands out to me in particular, it's Powlin Pressberger, whose films I've revisited many many times over the years, including on the big screen. Colonel Blint for the Win. Yes, Michael says, I always loved the Oscars episodes with Michael Phillips and the seeming ambivalence with which everyone approaches the Academy Awards. This is perfect, Like I don't care, but also I kind of do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think Michael may honestly, nothing.
Speaker 3: Sums it up better like I don't care, but I also kind of do.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, that's it. You gotta Michael, nicely done. We asked them both if there was a review we got wrong for Joseph. I don't generally get on with Christopher Nolan films, with some notable exceptions, and I still cringe at the dialogue I recall from Interstellar. I probably need to revisit it to give it a second chance. But my recollection of the opening scenes of Interstellar is that the dialogue seems so functional, expository, and clunky that I just can't bring myself to spend my precious time to reconsider it. I think that puts me on team Josh.
Speaker 3: I guess so we're cool.
Speaker 1: We're close, sir. I've warmed to Interstellar, but I do still have those concerns Joseph, so sure, welcome teammate.
Speaker 3: Well. I hope Joseph. I don't know for sure when he submitted this. It could have been a while ago. I hope Joseph has a chance to listen to the movie Deathmatch episode we just published in our feed this week in honor of the Odyssey coming out. We've got pop culture scientists Abigail James talking about Interstellar, defending that against Bilga Abiri and Inception. Very enlightening conversation. Who knows, she might just change your opinion about Interstellar or at least give you some fodder to revisit the film. So we thank you Joseph and Michael for being family members and for all of those years of listening to the show. You can follow Joseph on letterbox. He is film Egg. That's pretty self explanatory. Michael is at Mix. That's m i ckes. There you go. In addition to keeping us doing what we're doing, membership comes with perks like listening early in ed free our weekly newsletter, get to be part of the Film Spotting Family discord. You get monthly bonus shows like our recent discussion of David Robert Mitchell's It Follows and our July bonus. Since we do have coming up next week our top five films of the year so far, we're gonna riff on our favorite performances of the year so far. So we're gonna check in to get working through lists years and yeah, and then Josh Film Spotting Madness Best of the twenties and thirties, an exclusive tournament with prizes, Bracket challenge with prizes we're gonna give away. Oh man, we had a couple things to give away. I'm blanking now I know one of them is a signed Film Spotting Fest two poster. Very nice and give that away. We are doing that exclusively for the film Spotting Family that's gonna start Monday the thirteenth, So if you want to participate in that, you just got to be a family member. You have time learn more at film Spottingfamily dot com.
Speaker 4: Hi, Hi, come in, nice to see you. We are so happy fear here.
Speaker 3: The Invite is Olivia Wilde's third film as a director. She made BookSmart in twenty nineteen, followed that up with Don't Worry Darling in twenty twenty two. That was a film that was largely piled on by audiences and critics, including me. But you went for it so much so, in fact, that it made your top ten list in twenty two. You have seen The Invite, which also stars wild with Seth Rogen as her husband, and Penelope Cruz and Edward Norton as their enigmatic neighbors. Is wild for you? Batting? Three for three, perfect one hundred, perfect, one thousand. I should say.
Speaker 1: Absolutely this was a delight. I don't know, it just felt, you know, comic chamber drama. It's not necessarily that inventive. I don't know the last time I saw one a genre piece like this that was just so fun to see, especially with a theater with a crowd. And I also don't know, Adam, I'll have to think about this some more, But we've had directors who give lead or co lead performances in the movies they're directing. How often is it that the best thing about that movie is the director's lead or co lead performance, Because for me, that's what we get here. Wild is on screen the standout of the invite for me, and that is while acknowledging that all four of the main characters, the main players in this cast are fantastic. They each do their own thing that makes this movie work as well as it does, I mean to give them their credit. At Rogan Is he's delivering the one liners you'd expect, but also probably delivering the deepest well of sadness that this movie has, So he's doing great work. You look at Edward Norton, just delightful also as this kind of a zen prankster, this calm, but he's disrupting things at the same time. And Cruise. It's interesting because I haven't seen every one of her English language performances, and she's given some good ones, but this is I think her best that I have seen. This is adapted from a Spanish language play that was turned into a movie. She wasn't involved in either of those, so I don't know if there's any perhaps some cultural translation going on here that allowed her to deliver such a great performance here. But she's really sharp in terms of the repartee and also has this she's a sly provocateur as well. Just a glance that Penelope Cruz gives in scenes here will throw the entire dynamic off in a chaotic way. So she's really good. But Wild Adam is the gyrations on her face playing this woman who is deeply constricted, which we've seen that type. But also again it goes back to what you're talking about in Firego realize over the course of this night, what she's willing to entertain to bring something fresh and new to her life, to her marriage, to herself, and the way Wild responds to things that her husband says or that her neighbors say, and then eventually to things that she says and she starts surprising herself. It is just a phrase that kept coming to mind is one that you'll hear on like NBA podcasts. It's a quick twitch performance where just like the muscles are there doing immediately what she needs them to do for every moment in a movie that's incredibly fast and quick and quippy. And yeah, the invite is it's some of the most fun I've had in a theater this kind of fun in quite a while. So people need to get out there and check this out.
Speaker 3: It expands to more cities this weekend. I will finally get a chance to see it this weekend. I hope I have as much fun as you, and who knows, maybe it will make my top five list next week when we share our favorite films of the year so far.
Speaker 4: I had a celebrity free past thing with my fiance, but he took it literally, so now I need to have sex with John Ham to even out the score and save my relationship.
Speaker 5: You do the do you know?
Speaker 3: I do the doos Gaale needs to do the nasty with mister John hamm asap seems so so sorry that we got.
Speaker 1: You fired, right, Adam. We both caught up with director David Wayne's latest Gail Daughtry and the Celebrity Sex Pass. That title plus directed by David Wayne, should give you some idea of what's going on with this movie. It stars Zoey Deutsch as Gail, a small town woman who's fiance takes their celebrity sex pass joke literally. That puts her on a mission to even the playing field and have sex with a guy named John Ham. So she heads to La with that in mind. Adam, we've been talking about David Wayne on the show because we hot American Summer. His prob we most beloved film was part of Film Spotting Fest two a couple of weekends ago, and we had David Wayne introduce that screening with a video he was kind enough to send in. He's been listening to the show for years now. You know, this always makes me nervous when I hear of anyone at any level of filmmaking, Yes, who happens to listen to the show. Makes me feel like a fraud, especially so when it's an accomplished, beloved filmmaker like David Wayne. So I don't know, this isn't a review we're letting I'm letting people know that a friend of the show is a new movie out, And what I can say is one of the things I talked about when we watched Wet Hot American Summer and discussed it afterward. Is the absurdism that I think I didn't give enough credit for it to Wet Hot American Summer when I first saw that come out. And I think the one absurd touch I want to highlight here, which isn't a spoiler at all. It's a minor character, John Ham's guard. I forget how he even gets into this story about going to a bullfight, and I forget if he's there with his wife or his girlfriend or something. Yeah, the bull, the bull leaps into the stands and impales her or It's this gory, horrible story that keeps going on. It has no reason to be in this movie whatsoever. Yeah, the chef's kiss. And I don't remember how how they even got this is an insert shot of a bull. It must be real footage. It looks like real footage leaping into the stands of a bullfight. It's like a second and a half. And then he just goes on with his story and the movie goes on with its plot. I mean, you get stuff like that in Gail Daughtry, which is how you know it is a David Wayne movie. And the question I had for you also is how soon did you realize this was also going to be a Wizard of Oz riff.
Speaker 3: You know, I don't know how soon it was, but you recognize a couple of illusions. Certainly by the end that's very late. But there's a there's a moment with her slippers, right with her shoes, and there's there are some there are some, there are some I think before that for sure, but I didn't skipping right, little skipping of course, right. And and the fact that she is she is like Dorothy in the Land of Oz, who keeps acquiring new people as part of her entourage along the way, and they all have they all have certain skills, I suppose as well, so that element is definitely there. I like that you brought up the absurdity because one of the things that stood out to me that I really liked about Gail Daughtry is that absurd tone. And what I mean is specifically that something I struggle with often with comedies is that line you have to walk where you're putting us in the real world, but you're also having things happen that are clearly happening in a comedic universe where they could happen my brain struggles with that very often, and maybe it's maybe it's just me, but it's a comedy, and and people that's there, that's the reasoning when I bring those things up. Well, it's a comedy. It's it's goofy, goofy things are going to happen, okay, But everything else about the movie, all the other stakes to the movie are happening in the real world, Okay. In this movie. You know, you know from the opening pretty much from the opening narration Fred mellm Head's postal worker who is our guide through this story. You know from his tone, you know from the script and the things he's saying that this isn't the real world, that totally crazy, absurd things are going to happen, and that anything can happen in this universe. And so I knew what ground I was on, and I knew that I could go with it. And if I didn't totally know, I absolutely knew. By the time we get to the Jennifer Aniston book signing and the fiance says, I got to go back in and get what my sunglasses or something like that, and then doesn't come back because he's having sex with Jennifer Aniston in the back room for multiple hours.
Speaker 1: I did. That's like, yeah, I did. Like how just got that out of the way, you know, didn't waste twenty minutes setting up the fiance's move right, No.
Speaker 3: No, And there's there's no conflict in him or anything like that. He just moments earlier says, well, it would be Jennifer Aniston, and then he takes advantage of it, and that sets up all the action of the film. So I knew the universe we were in. I went along with it, and then you get the type of humor that I expect from David Wayne and I love. And it's the jokes that make me laugh the most are like when Richard Kine shows up and he's just a taxi cab driver in La. Who is who is taking Zoe Deutsch's character and her friend what is her? Her character's name Otto played by Miles Gutierra Hiley. They're together. They fly out to La in pursuit of John Hamm. He's there to help her in this pursuit and just completely straight faced, he explains that I know why you're here. Everybody comes out here expecting to be the next Elizabeth Perkins, but there's only one Elizabeth Perkins, and that slayed me.
Speaker 1: Nice callback too with a yep, yes there is Yeah, I also want to you know, there's so many you know, cameos and guests in here, but I think one of the performances I enjoyed the most was a newcomer to me, at least, Ben Wang. It's Caleb, one of the people she picks up along the way, an aspiring agent, and I just love the energy he brought, which is, I don't know, there's something he popped because his character had this clear comic identity and yeah tone he was going to go for the entire time, and he stayed consistent in that and almost always worked. So yeah, well, it was fun to see a lot of the cameos. I think Ben Wang was a highlight too.
Speaker 3: He's very good. And speaking of what how to American Summer, this movie really is what happens when the State remakes The Wizard of Oz by way of What Hot American Summer, because it seemed like they were determined to get in almost or a lot of key members of the cast from What Hot American Summer. Marguerite Moreau shows us there for a moment and Paul Rudd's going to show up. Of course, there are a bunch of key members too, like Mike Lee and Black who you expect to see in Jolo Trulio from that group, but it is as if they're trying to make sure that we get some of those very familiar faces into the film. That's Gail Daughtry and The Celebrity Sex Pass, which is out in limited release now. If you get a chance to see it, or any of the films we've talked about so far in the show, we'd love to hear your thoughts feedback at filmspotting dot net. How big. That's what we call a global killer. Nothing would survived, not even bacteria.
Speaker 4: The United States government just asked us to save the world.
Speaker 5: Anybody want to say no, don't think.
Speaker 3: I'll get a hazard pay out of this time. For some poll results, a couple of weeks ago, we asked you to choose one pair of nineties blockbusters two films per movie year, the top two movies at the domestic box office. There's ten of them, Josh, so let's just dig right into the results.
Speaker 1: Last place went to the year nineteen ninety two and the pair of Aladdin and Home Alone two only got one percent of the vote. Two percent of the vote for Home Alone and Ghost that was the year nineteen ninety I thought for sure there was more Home Alone love out there, all right, jumping up to six percent of the vote. That went to nineteen ninety five Toy Story and Batman Forever. Nineteen ninety nine came next, Phantom Menace in the sixth sense with only seven percent of the vote. You lobb, H'm pretty hard for that one. I thought, Yeah, then we've got nineteen ninety eight saving Private Ryan and Armageddon with eight percent of the vote. Okay, jumping into another tier here, ten percent of the vote went to nineteen ninety six for Independence Day and Twister. Thirteen percent of the vote went to nineteen ninety four Forrest Gump and the Lion King. I think that's where I landed if I remember correctly. Fourteen percent of the vote went to nineteen ninety seven. That's Titanic and Men in Black. Second place in this poll with sixteen percent of the vote was the year nineteen ninety one, Terminator two and Prince of Thieves. Wow T two doing a lot of work there. I have to guess that means the win of our poll. Incredible, just incredible, twenty three percent of the vote. Missus Doubtfire, Just missus Doutfire took you on its own. No, actually it was got a little help from Jurassic Park nineteen ninety three. There, Missus Doubtfire. Jurassic Park win this poll with twenty three percent of the vote.
Speaker 3: The nineties kids in their dinosaurs, they just incredible love playing with their toys. Scott g let me get this straight. You're asking us to pick one of these pairs, and every other film released that year gets dumped in the incinerator. You guys are sick. This is a poll where we're supposed to punish hundreds of perfectly decent films for not having the highest grosses. Oh and the rules apparently state that every movie from every other year of the decade century eternity, they all get eliminated as well. This poll is a crime against cinema, to say nothing of the fact that I can't choose between saving Whoopi Goldberg's performance in Ghost or Tony Kollett's in the sixth sense, they do both involve ghosts, don't they. I sentenced all three of you to six months of NonStop Michael Bays screenings, especially you s.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know why why we're getting punished for Sam's invention here.
Speaker 3: But yeah, that's true. He did we okay, though.
Speaker 1: We did, Sam went full fanos here. No planets were preserved at all.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: We also heard from Matthew Gladys it's nineteen ninety six in a walk, Independence Day and Twister. I know it sounds crazy when you have Saving Private Ryan six Sons Drassic parkin T two, but hear me out, missus Doubtfire ninety three is pretty met. Armageddon ninety eight is Armageddon, and if I never hear that Brian Adams song again, it will be too soon. Plus ninety six has arguably the most stacked casts, Will Smith, Jeff Goldblum, the criminally underrated Mary McDonald, jud Hirsch, Robert Loja, James Rebhorn, Randy not necessarily the lesser Quaid in Independence Day, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Ellen Rock and both Bps, Bill Pullman and Bill Paxton and Twister Game Over, Man.
Speaker 3: Came Over Man, jud Hirsh you lost Josh there, sorry, Rick says, Terminator Too is the only one of these movies I absolutely need in my life. I think, yes, a lot of people were there and that's why it's in second place. And Prince of Thieves has a strong nostalgia draw for me. Oh, everything I do, I do it for nineteen ninety one.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm glad you have that, Rick Andrew Howell here, I can't live without T two. And my bonus is I get Alan Rickman as a foppy Hans Gruber lest you can forget. Rickman plays the evil Sheriff of Nottingham and Prince of Thieves says shared us that note.
Speaker 3: I think that's true. Double up on Alan Rickman. Oliver Chang says ninety nine is totally a nostalgia pick for me. I have vivid memories of seeing the first trailer for The Phantom Menace in the summer of ninety eight and then going to an opening night midnight screening where we went to the theater a couple hours early to get our spot in line so we could get a decent seat since there was no such thing as a reserved seating. I was right there with you. It was Survival of the Fittest back in the day, then going back the next night and seeing it again, and just because it was Star Wars. I was not right there with how can I allow those memories to go into the incinerator? And of course six cents is amazing. This was a no brainer. I can't imagine my life without either of these films.
Speaker 1: Fair enough, Oliver, all right, one more here from Jeff Clark. Spielberg made d Day scarier than an asteroid destroying all life on Earth, and in Armageddon we had a range of really solid actors, including Steve Buscemi, who explains what the phrase space psychosis means, which is helpful since I've not seen it used elsewhere.
Speaker 3: Okay, I like your reasoning a lot there, Jeff. We think everyone who voted in that poll and sent in some feedback. Our new poll looks ahead to next week's top five of twenty twenty six so far. So we are asking you what is the best film of the year so far? And here are the choices we're giving you.
Speaker 1: Twenty eight years later, The Bone Temple, Back Rooms, Disclosure Day, the Drama Obsession Project, Hail Mary, The Sheep Detectives, and.
Speaker 3: Other Now, I thought that we did a pretty good job. This was largely Sam's doing, as these poll questions always are. I thought we did a pretty good job, even though I recall us both telling Sam he could leave out back rooms, and sure enough, back rooms is in dead last. So I don't know why back rooms is here. But that's fine. It's there if you want to vote for it, if you're one of the few, the happy few. Is your number one? Well, I was going to say additionally, I thought it was a good list. But Other, and this this is not uncommon. Other is decidedly in second place, so a lot of people are taking the field. Josh, But is your number one.
Speaker 1: On the list? I haven't finalized. There's two vne for number one, and I will say one of those options is on this list, and then obviously the other. You know, I would go in the direction of Other. I think I'll probably right now. If I had to choose in this moment, it would be one of the titles we offered.
Speaker 3: Okay, how about you. No, I would be voting other. My number one interest is not there. I look forward to sharing it next week. I will give a little hint. No, I guess I was going to say it hadn't been reviewed on the show. Maybe that's true. I know we didn't discuss my number one on the show. So there you go, I will.
Speaker 1: Say we both we both have you know, at least a title or two we want to be sure to fit in. Yes, so things will very much likely be in flux. But yeah, it'll be interesting to see where where listeners land on this best of the Year so far.
Speaker 3: Vote in that poll, leave a comment. We may read your feedback on air. You can do that at film spotting dot net right there at the main page. Josh, that's our show.
Speaker 1: If you'd like to connect with us on social media, you can find Adam and the show on Instagram, Facebook, Letterbox, YouTube, and blue Sky at film Spotting. I'm at those places as well as Larsen on film. We are independently produced and listener supported. You can support the show by joining the film Spotting Family at film spottingfamily dot com. You can listen early and ad free. You'll also get monthly bonus episodes, a weekly newsletter, and access to the entire show archive. For show t shirts and other merch go to film spotting dot net slash shop.
Speaker 3: Out in limited release this weekend is David Wayne's new film Gail Daughtry and the Celebrity Sex Pass. In wide release, Evil Deadburn. This is the sixth Evil Dead movie, the third Ramy Less installment since twenty thirteen. Complete Us, Josh, I think I saw the first of those three, which I liked quite a bit. Haven't caught the last two. The invite is expanding. Josh strongly encourages you to see it. Next week Big Things coming Monday, the debut episode of the movie Racket with Michael Phillips. He has a guest Michael Shannon, where they will be discussing what France saw. Trufoe said that there's no such thing as an anti war movie. They'll discuss whether or not Francois trufo is right. That's Monday. On Tuesday, film Spotting SVU. The state of streaming they're going to talk about to be a deep dive into the Free with Ad Free with Ad streamer Josh's favorite channel on the Internet. The Next Picture Show. On Thursday, Your beloved True Grit from the Coen Brothers, Josh. They will be pairing that with the new Supergirl.
Speaker 1: How about that.
Speaker 3: I may have to see Supergirl just to listen to this pairing because it sounds fascinating. And then Friday, we will have for you our top five films of the year so far.
Speaker 1: Film Spotting is produced by Golden Joe Desso and Sam van Holgren. Without Sam and Golden Joe, this show wouldn't go. Our production assistant is Sophie Kempinar. Special thanks to everyone at wbe Z Chicago. More information is available at wbez dot org for Film Spotting. I'm Josh Larson and I Madam Kempinar.
Speaker 3: Thanks for listening.
Speaker 2: This conversation can serve no purpose anymore.
Speaker 4: Good Bye.