Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: And You've talked before about needing different people around you to go from ten million to one hundred million to five billion.
Speaker 1: Oh don't you just it's not the same people. And you know, I kind of raised myself in business having an enterprise mentality.
Speaker 3: I learned that very very on. I'm more here to do people favors.
Speaker 1: Business is business, and I do what's best for the company every single day, and often that is what's best for the individual. Nobody wants to be kept in a role that they're not best suited to because that never works out for the individual or for the organization. So I've learned over time that you know, what is good for the company is ultimately good for everybody.
Speaker 2: I'm Francy Lacqua and this is leaders, the podcast that explores what drives the world's most influential people. Well, this week, I'm speaking to Emma Greed.
Speaker 3: She is a chief executive and co.
Speaker 2: Founder of Good American and founding partner of Skims, the shapewear and loungewear brand, which was valued at five billion dollars in November twenty twenty five. Now, the last ten years have seen her star rise. A lot of it really down to her successful partnerships with the celebrity family named the Kardashians, but now may be a pivotal time for her and I wanted to talk to her about one of the best and worst days of her career, how she leads with radical honesty, and why, as a self styled behind the scenes woman, she has chosen to step out into the limelight. Emcgreed, thank you so much for joining us. It's exciting to speak to you again.
Speaker 3: It's so lovely to see you again.
Speaker 2: Talk to me about the good American. The day you launched was seen as one of the biggest successes almost of all times in the didden world, a million right in sales. But then you writing your books that actually was it was quite stressful and didn't go to plan.
Speaker 1: You know what, that's an understatement because it's really interesting when something from the outside looks so perfect and in one way, it was a total dream.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: It was the first time that I'd done a business in apparel, and for all intents and purposes, it was like this beautiful, amazing thing that went so well, except from the inside, where you know, I had no inventory.
Speaker 3: We'd had this beautiful dream first.
Speaker 1: Million dollar day that kind of went down in history, But behind the scenes, I was scrambling. I had like a waitless kind of coming out of my ear holes and no way to satisfy the demand. But more than that, I had like this kind of doubt permeating through the company on the board with my shareholders that perhaps because of that oversight, that I wasn't the right person to run the company. And actually, looking back, it's kind of interesting that I never felt any fear around that moment. I just kind of looked at everyone and was like, leave me alone. I'm going to figure it out.
Speaker 2: But actually fear there was not a moment where you thought, actually, you know, I need to take a step back, or I need to convince the board or no.
Speaker 1: And it's so interesting because so many people talk to me about, you know, imposter syndrome and being a first time founder. I never had any of that. I always think like, if not me, then who. In my head, it was my idea and I brought it to fruition and I was going to figure out any of the problems, and so much of being an entrepreneur is about figuring it out you never have the answers, and I think if you have the answers, you're probably not moving fast enough.
Speaker 2: But the board told you of.
Speaker 3: I got a bit of a tell enough. Yeah, well, I wouldn't say it telling off.
Speaker 1: There were just some dismissive tones, like oh, you know, it's like I was a genius at nine am, and by at noon it was like, perhaps you're not best suited for this role.
Speaker 3: And I just completely dismissed that.
Speaker 2: So how do you regroup in a.
Speaker 3: Really tumultuous like way.
Speaker 1: I did what I know to do, which is when you don't know something, you ask somebody who does. And so I started calling around. I tried to like information gather. I was calling competitors, I was calling retailers. I was like literally visiting factories and so in a way you could literally get on the ground and say like how can I change this?
Speaker 3: How can you move this?
Speaker 1: But the simple fact was the fabric wasn't available because I hadn't had the foresight to get out in front of the calendar and know what I was up against.
Speaker 3: But a new brand is a new brand.
Speaker 1: There was no data, there was no history, there was nothing telling me that this was going to be that successful, and so would I've done anything different? No, I don't think. So what did you learn about yourself? Because a lot of chief executives will say, look, it's only by learning, and failing that, finally you have the pasture to say, like, look, I got this, but you think I got this right from the start?
Speaker 3: I really did.
Speaker 1: And perhaps I was naivete but I knew I'd figure it out in my head. I just thought, this is just another problem, and my life is a series of problems as a leader and as somebody who starts companies and builds things from scratch.
Speaker 2: Did you tell the employees or did you celebrate with them and figure it out about yourself?
Speaker 3: Do you know? I had no choice?
Speaker 1: The great thing about Good American It's the start, is that I'd chosen that initial team really well. So I had veterans in my business. The person and thank god, she still works with me now but in a different company. But the woman that was really in charge of products had been in the denim space for twenty years, and the guy that ran all design really was the you know, like so ingratiated in the denim community in LA that we were able to literally knock on doors and ask favors, and so I thankfully surrounded myself with people who knew better and could help me open doors.
Speaker 2: You talk a lot about, you know, giving employees honest feedback. Is that about radical honesty? How do you describe it?
Speaker 1: It is radical honesty, but that's also so much about who I am, and so I've always thought to myself, I can just be honest with myself. I don't need to walk around with some you know, guilt on my shoulder and carrying stuff that doesn't serve me. So for me, it's just about honesty, take the learning, move on.
Speaker 2: What does that look like when you talk to employees? It looks very straightforward.
Speaker 3: Here's the thing.
Speaker 1: I don't think anybody in my organizations ever wonder what I'm thinking. Nobody's like, oh, I'm trying to figure out how Emma's feeling. It's like, I am really firm and really fair. I have very very very high expectations for myself and for everybody around me.
Speaker 3: I give very very clear feedback.
Speaker 1: And my job as founder and as a CEO is to have the vision right, but it's to communicate that vision downwards. And so I'm in a constant conversation with everyone around me. I think I'm super repetitive. I say the same three things over and over and over again. And everybody in the organization should be able to know what our priorities are and know what we're doing. And so I think I'm a little bit of a broken record. But I think that there's an element of consistency that comes with that.
Speaker 3: And I'm bloody consistent.
Speaker 2: And You've talked before about needing different people around you to go from ten million to one hundred million to five billion.
Speaker 1: Oh don't you just it's not the same people. And you know, I kind of raised myself in business having an enterprise mentality.
Speaker 3: I learned that very very on. I'm here to do people favors.
Speaker 1: Business is business, and I do what's best for the company every single day, and often that is what's best for the individual. Nobody wants to be kept in a role that they're not best suited to, because that never works out for the individual or for the organization. So I've learned over time that what is good for the company is ultimately good for everybody.
Speaker 2: What is that ruthlessness?
Speaker 3: I don't know that it's ruthlessness.
Speaker 1: I think that it is just being able to delineate.
Speaker 3: What is right at the time.
Speaker 1: And you know, here's the thing I think, specifically as a female leader, you're judged on you know, how empathetic are you, And so I think the way that we work and the reason that I think directness is always best. We all know where we stand all the time. I'm not waiting for an assessment moment or a six month mark or some kind of like former of you. If you're failing, you probably know you're failing because we've probably spoken about it. It's not like a bolt out of the blue.
Speaker 2: So how do you hire or do you hire people that you think can take the heat in the kitchen or do you expect everyone to just take it well.
Speaker 1: I hire differently for different stages of the business, but I think in the beginning, you know, you want generalists, you want people that are going to have a I'll do that hand up mentality, whatever it is. I think as business is mature, you're looking for more category and subject and departmental expertise and typically hiring for an enormous amount of experience. But for me, what I play so much value on is flexibility. You have to be willing to look and take your experience and do things a little bit differently. So I'm always trying to hire for people that are seriously experienced, but seriously flexible.
Speaker 2: Is there a concern with loyalty or employees still loyal if they feel that you can cut them off at any point.
Speaker 1: I mean, I know about cutting them off at any point, And I think that loyalty is something that you earn. You know, there's a trust in a business and it really is about people learning to trust that what you say is what you mean and is what happens, and when you do that, you can be trusted regardless.
Speaker 2: Do you think a lot about incentives.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I think that that is just the expectation, Like incentives have to be built in for the best people, and that happens at all levels of the organization. For everybody has to understand how the incentives come to be right. The company has to perform well in order for the incentives to be created, but then for them to be paid out and to make sense.
Speaker 2: After the break, em Agreed reveals how she got her foot in the door with the Kardashian family and the strategic moves that made her the go to partner to launch Good American you can't mention and agreed without the Kardashians in a way, they were her biggest supporters, importedly matriarch Chris Jenner first and pitched teaming up with Chloe Kardashian for a Good American. But was there actually a moment, a meeting of minds and how did she convince some of the most famous people in the world to go into business with her? Can you talk to me about that pitch when you pitched Good American to the Kardashians.
Speaker 1: There was never such a pitch idea, you know, specifically with Good American. There was an idea that I had and I really felt that the partnership would, you know, make this thing just accelerate, But it never is, you know how people kind of see it in the movies. There was a relationship that existed and a moment in time. And the best things and the best businesses always work when what's happening in the culture chimes with whatever you're doing. And I think at that moment, when you go back nine years ago, the idea of body positivity and what it meant to do real inclusivity and fashion just wasn't what it was today. And so I think that whenever you're starting something, it's like this melting pot and a smagas board of small decisions and the right thing in the culture and the right moment in time and you being the right person, and some element of magic has to happen. But there's never like this like bingo moment where everyone goes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's go.
Speaker 1: Don't you have to I mean, you had to sell your idea, right at some point, Yeah, but you had to say, yes, we're.
Speaker 3: Really need to sell an idea. That it's like that good.
Speaker 1: You know, It's like there's an idea and then there are people that decide to jump on board.
Speaker 3: But you know again, I think it.
Speaker 1: Like it feels more more like a fantasy to be like there's this moment of sell and this moment of yes. Because the best partnerships may happen over time and they come together because everybody has something to bring to the table. And I think that that was one of those magical moments.
Speaker 2: A lot of people have ideas, but then they don't really come to fruition.
Speaker 3: I mean to get amazed.
Speaker 1: They have things that they want to do in their head. And an idea can live on a piece of paper or on your desktop for the longest time, but you've got to get out. The hardest thing is to just get out of the gate. What's holding people back? And I do see that a lot Actually people are either too afraid or say they don't know where to start, or they don't have the capital. I don't come from a background where I had either the capital or the network, or the educational background or any of those things. I just tried a lot of stuff and eventually one of those things happened to work out. And at some point you've just got to take whatever it is that you have and try and again. I think that we're in such a time where there's this idea that everything has to be like a billion dollar brand, everything has to be a unicorn.
Speaker 2: But you've managed to do everything at scale, right, So I.
Speaker 3: Mean everything that you know about what's the failures. There's a ton of failures.
Speaker 1: There's a ton of things that I've done that didn't work. And when I think about my early businesses, I'd opened offices that didn't quite work out. I have grown companies and then had to downsize them, and those things are really right now, we only show the glossy side, the amazing things, the great headlines, the stuff we want to put on our Instagram.
Speaker 3: And the reality is anyone.
Speaker 1: Who is an entrepreneur that's done multiple things will have failed. And you have to get comfortable with this idea of not everything working out. It's not always that you did something wrong so that this thing in this time, this situation didn't work for a myriad of reasons. So long as you figure out what are those reasons, and what did I learn from it, and what will I do different next time, then that has to be left behind. And I think that if you look around in the culture, that is way harder for women than it is for men, because women are held to an entirely different standard when they start things and they fail, And yet we have men that fail over and over again and close it down and go out and raise the next day and nobody mentions anything about it.
Speaker 2: So once you have a failure, do you do a post mortim to see what work wrong?
Speaker 3: Do you the whole to you?
Speaker 1: I tell it just like spreadsheets, absolutely, and you really have to understand well what you do right, because I think it's easy to point to the market and conditions. It's easy to look at all of the things that were outside of your control, but often there's a pattern in these things, like that you are a huge part of. And so I really try to you know, and I hate to go wooh woof. You kind of have to go inside. You have to understand, like what is it that I miss and what is it that I didn't see? And how can I change that for the next thing.
Speaker 2: When we come back. Emma Green sounds the alarm on and pastor syndrome, how it can be stopped before it even exists, and why she's determined to stop women from holding themselves back before they've even begun. For a long time, Emma Greed has been the brains behind growing other people's brands, but over the last few years she's been making a visible effort to be front and center, whether it's launching upon cast, high profile TV appearances, or now her debut book, Start with Yourself. This new chapter appears firmly focused on building her own brand. But I want to know why now and what next? So in the past, you used to say you were a behind the scenes woman. Yeah, what's changed?
Speaker 1: You know? I still feel like a behind the scenes woman, I still go into the upper of every single well, you know, I'm like behind the scenes in front of the camera.
Speaker 3: I do a lot of things and wear a few hats.
Speaker 1: I think what I've realized as I've become more successful is that wherever I go, people ask me the same questions. I always say, you know, how did you do this? And I don't think people are that interested in me. I think they want to understand how they can be successful for themselves. I'm really trying to like lift the lid and demystify what it means to have a successful career and to start a business and to scale a business, and what it means to sell or ipo a business, and specifically through the lens of a woman, because I believe that there is social conditioning that actually makes women avoid the exact behaviors that lead to wealth, creation, that lead to success, that lead to leadership and opportunity for us.
Speaker 2: What do you think actually doesn't sort of female leaders because it starts from a very young.
Speaker 1: Age, how long of you have a lot of times I need to get these girls like when they're ten, eleven, twelve, you know, because a lot of it is what we carry. I don't know that the idea of imposter syndrome even exist. When we talk about male founders, male entrepreneurs, why would we be talking about it so frequently for women.
Speaker 2: Actually, I've heard me, yeah, I had it. Yes, really, I've never heard one. And then they say look. I looked around the room and I thought, actually, if they.
Speaker 1: Can do it, I can do it. I can do it. But the same sentence said by women carries a different way. And I have seen, certainly in my own career, this notion of imposter scene can be planted as a seed even when it doesn't exist.
Speaker 3: And that's what I want to stop.
Speaker 1: I want to stop us stopping ourselves getting out of the gates before we've even given ourselves a chance. Because my experience is that women are excellent at making money in the business, and they are excellent at just thinking about things in a really unique way. And I hire so many women that are brilliant, especially when they come back into the workplace after having children, because their time and the way they think about things and is so much more precious that they get really really good at don quickly. It's so much done, and they get it done so quickly. With a different sense of urgency.
Speaker 2: Do you see yourself as a retail model?
Speaker 3: That's cong.
Speaker 1: You know, you're trying to build the next Selvia Mage? Does that feel good? I mean, that's such an interesting headline. How flattering that. I think that's like Instagram headlines. Ah, that's good, it's a good one.
Speaker 2: But what do you want to what are you trying to build?
Speaker 1: What's really interesting is that what I set out to do, I've kind of done. I wanted to create businesses that I could be really proud of, and I wanted to be part of businesses that I really enjoyed going in and working in every day.
Speaker 3: Like I wake up on a Monday and I'm like, let's go.
Speaker 1: And that for me is winning because where I grew up and where I come from, people dreaded work. They went to work to pay their bills. And that is not what I do. I do it, and I do it for a lot less. I mean, I'm glad it comes with what it does.
Speaker 3: But you see big, you dream big.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've always seen big and dream big, But I think that, you know, there's a level of responsibility that comes with that because I think that, you know, when I look at the landscape, specifically for women, specifically for women of color. I think that talent's fairly evenly distributed, but opportunity isn't. And so when I look at the ability that I have to create opportunity for other people, that feels like a responsibility for me. Not in a like super worthy way, but in a way where it's like, wow, there's a lot of great stuff out there, and I've done really well putting my money into other female founders. So I actually think there's this whole part of what I'm doing that is part lifting the lid, part giving opportunity, part bringing you know, like a bunch of people into a conversation and into the business climate that might not otherwise be doing it, and really they should.
Speaker 2: You seem very good at identifying, really.
Speaker 1: Good at spotting things that what are you it is this? I mean, that's a difficult talent righter And listen. I think there's a part of me that says, well, of course that sounds easy now because my deal flow is so good, But I was good at it even when it wasn't.
Speaker 3: You know, I'm good at spotting opportunities.
Speaker 1: I think I think like a customer, you know, I am my own customer in so much of what I do. I have a terrific sense of value on what something is worth. If you buy a pair of genes from me for a one hundred and forty nine bucks, they're going to be worth like every one hundred and forty nine dollars that you pay for them.
Speaker 2: Is the customer of today radically different from the customer of ten years ago.
Speaker 1: Customers are so much more informed, and there are no barriers to what you can get where you can get it, and brands have more responsibility to their customers than ever before. That's fine, that's healthy. You know, may the best brands win.
Speaker 3: Is it more difficult?
Speaker 2: It's just harder to sell because moving stuff.
Speaker 3: Around and the media landscape is so much more fragmented. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think if you go back to when I started Good American, you could find all of these crazy unlocks, and that shifted into Instagram and shifted into TikTok, and now it's totally fragmented, and we're all like struggling and going like, why where's our customer coming from?
Speaker 3: The ocial thing? Yes, somewhat social.
Speaker 1: Media, but what channels in social media and where are you spending and how does you know how does that shift and change on a daily basis depending on the platform and the vertical even within those channels. So I think there's a lot to consider. The thing that I've learned is that good products will always win. I don't let that side of things keep me up at night. What keeps me up at night is coming up with a new innovation, constantly delighting and pleasing our customers, and coming up with things that they don't even know that they need.
Speaker 2: Is there a brand that you admire more than others?
Speaker 3: Oh, my goodness, there's so many brands that I admire.
Speaker 1: Louis Vuitton, you know, I always look at that brand because it's so hard to stay that hot all the time. And you know, even when I think about a brand like Chanelle, you know, it's like it's a brand that I have always wanted since I was ten years old, and I want it even more now. You know. I'm like constantly texting to figure out when I can get this latest collection, like when does it hit the store?
Speaker 3: How do I not miss it? And I really admire.
Speaker 1: Brands that have that type of stay in power coupled with that type of heat that's a really really hard thing to do. And of course I would say brands in fashion, but I don't know enough about like other spaces. I'm of course enthralled by what's happening in AI at the moment, and I feel like I'm like everybody else. I'm just trying to keep up and trying to make sure I understand and trying to make sure that I'm using everything at my disposal.
Speaker 2: Do you think I'll change your business?
Speaker 1: It is changing out business, Yeah, in terms of hiring or understand. Mostly in terms of like how we're planning the business. So when you think about inventory needs, customer data, the way that AI is able to get into those systems and read quicker than we've ever been able to. I think what's really interesting is how how to think about businesses in the age of AI. You know, the way that I look at it is that you have to safeguard everything that requires a human touch, creativity, innovation, design, like all of those things should be done by people that understand other people's needs, and the rest ought to be AI.
Speaker 2: Okay, I have a rabid fire. Are you ready born?
Speaker 3: Ready?
Speaker 2: Working from home?
Speaker 3: Good or bad?
Speaker 1: Working from home is career suicide and we only talk about the upside of working from home, and here we go.
Speaker 3: We know that people don't really want to hear this.
Speaker 1: Think about what's happening in the world, declining birth rates, declining marriage rates, and loneliness epidemic, and we think that none of that is linked to the number of people that don't see people because they're like doing zoom calls from their living room. Like it's so crazy to not make that correlation. The key to a long and happy life is your close relationships.
Speaker 2: Should the unpaid internship be brought back?
Speaker 1: Listen, I did a lot of unpaid internships, and I did it while being somebody that didn't have a lot of money, and that was a real struggle for me. It was a huge unlock for me, the ability to go into an organization and get under the hood without having any qualifications or right to really be there. I think that there have to be certain protections on it, but I'd like to like lift the lid because there's so much like to be learned.
Speaker 2: NBA Worth there are a waste of money.
Speaker 1: Depends how much money you've got. It wasn't my power, Listen. I am a mother of for and so the idea that any of my kids are going to do an NBA would be an absolute dream. But would I force it on them. That's like an individual decision. And if you can, then do, but if you can't, don't sweat it.
Speaker 2: Emma, thank you so much, Thank you so much.
Speaker 3: What a joy.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening to this episode of Leaders with me Francin Laqua the podcast. If you like our show, please rate, review, and subscribe, and if you want to watch the show, please find us on YouTube. This episode was hosted by me Francin Laqua. It was produced by Adalandi Dixon, Summersadi and Moses and Am. Emmy Keen is the executive producer of Bloomberg Talk Podcasts. Sound designed by Blake Maples and Aaron Casper. Special thanks to Emma Greed.