Speaker 1: All right, guys, well, thank you so much for your patience. We're really really really really sorry. Well I especially am sorry since it's my job to edit the podcast and I screwed up.
Speaker 2: But we're back. We're back. I know so many of you guys, you guys have hit us up like so when is BA coming back?
Speaker 1: And I'm like, we're back. We're really glad that you love the show. Bud, Please don't hate us too much for putting it up late. Just look at this way. You have a nice little Friday treat exactly. So let's kick off this show. I saw something crazy today that I had to talk. I'm kind of glad that we had a couple of days, like we had this delay because now we can talk about this craziness. There's this article on PopSugar dot com, like this kind of thing entertainment blog, and they compare Kylie Jenner, who has not one drop of Latin in her to The headline was like, Kylie Jenner is basically every a mix of all your favorite Latina celebrities, and like there was ay. They basically just took like screen like screenshots of her Instagram account where she takes pictures of like Here's Kyllie Jenner showing off her naked butt. Isn't she like j Lo? Here's Kellie Jenner wearing like a throwback eighties outfit? Isn't she like Selena? Let me tell you, like you think black Twitter is bad? Like Hispanic Twitter.
Speaker 2: After them? Yes, as they should. That's so funny. I didn't even know there was Hispanic Twitter. But that's why I get them.
Speaker 1: They exist. This is a thing, like, I mean, this is this came the same week? Was it one more? The Golden Globes announced? Was that last week or this week? I forget, It's been a long week. But during the Golden Globes, my my like celebrity crush America for yeah. She So she was announcing the nominations on camera, and some people, some media outlets, some major ones were tweeting like, oh look, it's Gina Rodriguez announcing the Golden Globes. Gina Rodriguez is a whole different person, yes, but another Latina, and I guess they were just mixing them up, which is just like embarrassing.
Speaker 2: It is very that is always very embarrassing.
Speaker 1: I can't even apologize on their behalf because I don't know like how they just all look alike. There's only like one or two, so you got fifty to fift chances of getting them right.
Speaker 2: That's how they feel. I'm just reading some of the tweets right now. I'm like, ooh, they're like, uh, Kylie Jenner. Comparing Kylie Jenner to a strong, beautiful, natural Latina is a bit insulting thumbs down.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And it's just sort of like some people are saying, it's just more about cultural another example of cultural appropriation, Like just because she got button plants and she has big old' lip injections, and she has like these stereotypical Latina or even black features that now now claim but you know, she's not claiming it. It's not like Kylie Jenner said that she's like a Latina. It's really pop Sugars situation. Yeah, And so I took that mess down real quick, yeah.
Speaker 2: Real quick, because they're like, uh, you know, that's the thing I kind of like about social media these days. It's like a good thing and a bad thing. But that like when something is not right, that people can hold you to task, because before it used to be like whatever, you can't do anything about it. Now people are like, oh really, let me, let me get to let me talk to Twitter real quick and see if we can't make you guys realize you're wrong.
Speaker 1: That's my favorite way to get customer service now. Yes, like I've complained about airlines and m h even my meal service that I use, like my plated a complain on Twitter and they're like, oh my god, we'll get to you right away. It's so much faster than like calling eight hundred years.
Speaker 2: Like I was at a when I was in Barbados and so many of you guys hit me up like saying, oh I heard you think gonna be in Barbados, Thanks VA listeners. And so I flew Jet Blue, which I actually really liked. I'm flown Jet Blue in a long time, and so it was like really roomy, loved it. I had to check a bag which was twenty bucks if you checked it online, which I did, and then when I was in Barbados, I tried to check the bag coming back. Couldn't do it online. I was like, no words, I'll do it the kiosk. Try to do it at the kiosk. I literally hit up every single kiosk, and because it costs more money, if you do it at the death. So they all were not working. They kept freezing, and so I went to the counter and was like, hey, my bag. It won't let me, you know, check my bag. And they still charged me the extra nine bucks and I was pissed. So, Jet Blue, you have a tweet coming, but I was just like, ah, but that's how I get my customer service as well. I'm like, let me send a quick little tweet like uh, Jet Blue. So I like how that is.
Speaker 1: A pro tip. Definitely complain on social media. Yes, well, here's something that no one's complaining about. Averdi Verne's Barbidol. Yes, sold out in like lickety split seconds. Yes, isn't that amazing? You imagine I've never I can't imagine any other brown Barbie Dolls ever sold out like that. To have it be a director and not like a model, not a Tyra Banks or nothing against Tyra.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I know what you meaning. Like, she's known although Ama Duvine is beautiful, that's not what she's known for. That's not why she's celebrated. She's celebrated because of her craft and her skill. And you know, you know, no knock against beautiful women. Obviously that's awesome, but it's just that, like, wow, Okay, this woman is being celebrated and you can look up to her because she's this self taught director, which I think is amazing.
Speaker 1: I think, yeah, well, young girls need to know that you can be beautiful, but that's not all you have to offer. And if you're not traditionally or whatever just the way that you know, mainstream media what they consider to be beautiful, then you can look at this Barbie and say, well, that's not all that any woman has to offer, and the exact talent and you know, imagination and skill that you can offer. I thought it was awesome.
Speaker 2: She actually did like one of my one of my motivational videos. It's her speaking I think like too. I don't know if it was a school of but it was directors, like young directors, up and coming directors, and she talks about something called like her smelly coat, and really she just says that, like you know, when you're really really desperate. So yes, she definitely calls it the smelly coat. And her talk is called take that smelly coat off of take that smelly coat of desperation off. And it's just such a dope it's just such a dope. Oh, it's just such a dope, dope, just like talk that she's done. And what I like most about it is she talks about how when she first started out, she was kind of reaching out to everyone and like begging everyone to help, and it was like wearing this stinky, smelly coat, and it offended people that people don't want to help you if you're not willing to help yourself. And once she took off that code of desperation and decided to do it anyway, then that's when people are coming to her and she started attracting like the things that she wanted. So if you get a chance you need a little like motivation, google Ava Duverne smelly coat and watch it's like maybe like ten minutes watch this talk. It's amazing.
Speaker 1: That's like fake it till you make it. Yeah, Like even if you're nervous, or even if you are desperate, you just have to walk in like you already got the job.
Speaker 2: Yeah, or at the very least, just just do it. That's one thing. We live in such an amazing age and that like you might say, oh, I really want to be on TV. No one wants to put you on TV. Hello, YouTube is free? Or I really want to be a writer, but you can't get into a magazine start a blog. So it's like there are micro ways that you can do macro things, you know, and so you know, if you do such a good job, sometimes what happens is you draw such an audience that those those larger outlets that you want to be a part of start coming to you.
Speaker 1: Yes, ma'am. Well, if you want to start a podcast, just do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, do it. Google your way through like Mandy exactly.
Speaker 1: Oh gosh, oh you know what we need to talk about? Hashtag stay mad Abby.
Speaker 2: Oh oh yeah, this one gave me such a giggle.
Speaker 1: I love brown people. They're so clever they are. Let's do the recap. So basically this is about the Supreme Court case. Abigail Fisher is a white college student from Texas who's suing the University of Texas overclaims that she was denied admission to the school based on the fact that she's not white. And she's referring to this program called top ten where ut for ten percent of I forget how exactly how it works, but like for ten percent of new admissions, they factor in race as one of the factors of admission. So she's sue them, like seven years ago in this court case is now in the Supreme Court, and it's been hilarious people's reaction on social media.
Speaker 2: Yes, and so people have been sharing like brown folks have been sharing themselves in their capping gown or like lifting all of their amazing degrees and hashtags stay mad, Abby, which has been hilarious. One of my favorites is like this young girl leaning over a banister in her in her gown from graduation, and she says, and I guess this is she's actually attending or graduated from the same school that Abby wanted to get into. And she references this Chris Brown look at Me Now on song where he says, how y'all so mad? You can't even get into the club? You're still outside? And so that's the song. So she says like under the caption, how you mad, but you can't even get into the university? You still outside? And it just had me giggling. I was like, oh, look at me now, Abby.
Speaker 1: Do you know it's truly insane though, is the fact that someone points it out and earth because this has been through many lower courts already and somebody found out that her SAT scores and her GPA, even if she had been black, she wouldn't have gotten into the school. Which is are we discussing this at the Supreme Court level and it's given away to so much other crap, Like Justice antonin Scalia said some really stupid stuff. He was and somehow on the in the first day of oral arguments, which was last week, he was responding to the to Abby's attorney or I forget which attorney he was responding to, but he basically said, in a nutshell, you know, wouldn't it be better in some cases if you know black kids went to lesser schools so that they didn't feel so challenged by the material and that they you know, wouldn't be so intimidated. I mean that was weren't his exact words, but that was a sentiment behind it. Yeah, just like such, I'm like, great, this is a Supreme Court justice, Supreme Court justice who, by the way, has their job for eternity.
Speaker 2: For eternity, so let's hope eternity comes quick.
Speaker 1: For oh, so people are serving him up.
Speaker 2: To Yeah, and it just makes you just so like wow, this is supposed to be the unbiased law of the land, the voice of like law in our country, and this guy's was saying that, like, people of color can't possibly keep up at ut at these Ivy League schools, and that's just don't.
Speaker 1: Don't expect anything out of them. Just yeah, they'll never keep up. This is what I'm talk about when we talk about like when people when when black people brown people talk about having to work twice as hard to prove themselves. Like this is what we're talking about. Because someone's thinking you only got that job because you're black and Bush, or someone's thinking, like if you you probably can't even keep up with this, Like we have low expectations of what you're capable of, you know when you walk in a room.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then add on top of that, being a woman in life is amazing.
Speaker 1: Whatever. Some of the smartest people I went to h I went to UGA University of Georgia down south, Like, hey, bulldogs, seven percent I think seven percent or less Black students, but like the smartest people on campus for the black women, I swear to God, and they're like, I don't know one black student from UGA who was not off doing They made some things right now, I don't know one. I can't think of one. And it was a small it was a small world. I knew them all. They don't knew each other, of course. So moving on.
Speaker 2: Right from buzzworthy, I hope you guys are buzzing with both. If you have any buzzer things and you're like, I want to hear your opinion, then please, please please. You can tweet us at the BA podcast, go to Brown Ambition on Facebook, and you can email us.
Speaker 1: At Brown Ambition Podcast at gmail dot com.
Speaker 2: Boom.
Speaker 3: I hope I got that right, I think so.
Speaker 2: So it is now time for Brown Break.
Speaker 1: The best time of the day.
Speaker 2: Don't we have like somebody special did something special for us?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, we have a little oh yeah, one of our listeners, Oh now I'm going to forget her name. I had it up and now I forgot it. One of our listeners came up with a little jingle like a little Brown Break song, and I want to play it for you guys. It's super sweet. Okay, yeah, so here it is. This This jingle is from Quinn. I don't want to send her last name or say her last name, just in case she doesn't want me putting her on blasts like that. But thank you so much, Quinn. And here's her little jingle.
Speaker 4: I need a brown break, baby, All I need is a brown break.
Speaker 1: Wasn't that cute?
Speaker 2: Yes, Quinn, you got a great voice. I love it. I would love for people to send in some brown ambition, not brown ambisson, brown break jingles, because you know we don't have the best voices. Although you can't tell me that. No.
Speaker 1: One of my friends is like, can you guys stop singing? Actually like, oh hate her.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna do the jersey clap first of all.
Speaker 1: She is. But you know, your friends always tell you the truth.
Speaker 2: I know. But I mean, you know, a little song here and there. I mean I could see maybe we won't have a full out musical like we did that last song. I'm doing our last podcast. But I mean, I don't I like a little jig here and there.
Speaker 1: But even if you can't sing, just send us some if you have a brown break that you want to take enough to share them on air. We've gotten some quirky ones. Some people want to take a break from millennials. Ooh that I take offense too.
Speaker 2: That's actually my brown break.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, let's go right into it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So my brown break is not I'm not taking a break from millennials the individuals. I'm taking a break from the word millennials. So, for those of you who are unaware, millennials are like the new boomers. They're born between the ages of nineteen eighty three and the year two thousand and one, and I don't know, just you know, it's just so annoying. Everything is millennials, millennials, millennials, millennial. It's like nobody wants to advertise or speak to or reach out to any other age group. The millennials are just like the only thing people are talking about. And I'm sick of it. Am I hating? Yes? I am, because I go ahead.
Speaker 1: There's always this obsession with the younger generation to like, oh, what do they want? What kind of geans are they wearing? Where are they shopping? They're like, they don't even have the money to spend in your store like their parents or I mean whatever. Like older millennials, obviously we have money and we were like professionals. But I'm like, maybe there's no reason why you shouldn't be targeting like the Gen x's. You're not absolute yet Tiff, You're still relevant. I know, well, you know, I just it's important.
Speaker 2: I just missed the millennial mark off by not too much, but still, I'm just you know, it is. I guess I'm just so sick of like people acting like there's no other like demographic population, that this is like the it population, and then like in ten years it'll be the new whatever they'll call the babies babies below you guys. But yeah, I'm just so sick of that word millennial. And I'm willing and able to take a brown break from that word. I don't want to hear it. Just gonnakay. I'm just gonna call you guys. Hey, you well, that was a gen Z. What's who's gen Z? That's below?
Speaker 1: And gen Z is like my little brother, he's nineteen ninety two. I think it's like the nineties babies. Okay, that's what we're gonna call them. I met someone who was born in ninety eight and they're like a teenager, Oh my god, happening.
Speaker 2: What in ninety eight I was like graduating high school?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, well I was still young.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, we can get on the side. I can't wait.
Speaker 1: I know, I feel that way though, I want.
Speaker 2: To welcome you with Ben Gay. I'm gonna welcome you with mom jeans.
Speaker 1: I already wear and use those items, do you know what? You know what? I had my first experience, not my first, but like I was thinking, you know, they're making a new, a new dirty dancing remake are with Abigail Breslin. It's gonna be on TV. I think ABC Family or something like that. But I'm like, it pains me to think that some young women, some young girls out there, that's gonna be their first dirty dancing. Yeah, they're not going to know. Patrick Swayze and Jennifer was.
Speaker 2: That was like the best movie ever.
Speaker 1: It still is so bad yet so good.
Speaker 2: I know, has it has anybody called you.
Speaker 1: Ma'am yet ma'am? Well, I'm from the South, so okay.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, like the first time that happened, I was like, who are they talking to?
Speaker 1: Not me?
Speaker 2: Were like when someone says like, oh no, ask the lady. I remember the first time that happened, I was like, in my.
Speaker 1: Life, ask the lady.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, And that was like the lady, who's that?
Speaker 1: Wait?
Speaker 2: I'm the lady. I'm a girl all the buzzwords of getting older.
Speaker 1: It's a ballad brown break.
Speaker 2: Yes, So what about you? What are you breaking from? Uh?
Speaker 1: You know, I'm gonna do. I want to do this in a diplomatic way, as I like to do all things as pissing off as few people as possible. Like I've only been engaged for a couple of weeks and I'm trying. I'm cool about it. It's cool. You know, it's awesome. Love is real, marriage is great. But what I didn't expect is people. What I was afraid of is people being like so enthusiastic and like dragging me in the hallways and like, you know, making a big scene. And I'm kind of shy when it comes to this kind of stuff. But in some cases, what I've gotten is people like dumping their baggage on me, like their marriage and like wedding baggage on me. Like I've heard people tell me, you know, complain about, oh, when you get married, such and such happens, You're like anymore, like like, oh, well, it's very expensive, you know, don't spend so much in the wedding. It's really expensive and you've only got like a half and half chance anyway, whoa like actual and then one person when I told I was engaged, one person I actually was excited to tell her. The first thing she said was why now, like because he wanted to marry me.
Speaker 2: Now I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's been a yeah I mean and not letting it get to me. But I just I feel like it's making me even more cognizant of how because I think in New York especially, it's like, you know, women, you're supposed to be all about your career and you come here to really further yourself, you know, on a personal level, and then like relationships are great, but they're not like, you know, no one's coming here to get their mrs degree, you know what I mean. And so I feel like the initial reaction is always like, oh, someone else is getting engaged, Like marriage is so lame anyway, and I'm not gonna lie. I've rolled my eye that you know that the all the engagement posts and like awkward engagement photos people post on Facebook. But it's made me realize that, like, you should be more careful of your words around someone who's you know, making this huge like leap or this huge change.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, because they're excited and now she should be. It's a beautiful, amazing thing. And I feel like sometimes it's like the negativity like screams louder than the positivity because like you know, because I like, I know so many people who are in great relationships, but it's like they don't talk about it much unless you know them really personally. But people who are not, those are the ones that you hear all the time and you're like, is that it is? That's how it's going to be now, you know, two people decide for themselves.
Speaker 1: The best thing I did as I got older, like in relationships, is stop asking my friends for advice on every little thing that my partner did, you know what I mean, Like he said this, but what does that mean? No, that's just like more an nooise that you don't need. Yeah, so you just got to tune out because at the end of the day, it's you and that person.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's so important to keep Like one of my best friends, she's got a great relationship, and honestly, I can count on one hand that anytime that we've discussed like him and honestly, and even then it's been like very light. And so I've just learned from her that, like, you know what, keep it that way. They're so great together. I mean, they begin it forever. Whenever I see them, I'm like, wow, it's like they just started dating. They're just like fun together, they laugh. I mean they've been together far ever, and I'm just like, wow, there's still such lightness here. And I know there had to have been a lot of ups and downs, but I don't personally know because she's been very good at keeping that until I've mimicked that with Superman, that like, you know, to keep those things even with my close friends, to myself because ultimately, what does my sister have to do with what's happening, you know, with you know, unless like you're an abusive relationship, then of course tell and ask for help. But if you guys are just going through normal relationship ups and downs and oh we had an argument or I don't like the way he said that, and I asked him if I look back, and he didn't say no, right way, Like those are things you can keep to yourself.
Speaker 1: Plus, don't you know, I was always that girlfriend who's like, oh he showed up five minutes late, we hate him now. Yeah, And then once you forgave him, Like, oh you forgave him already. God, you're weak, Like I used to judge people so harsh. I don't know why, so uh yeah, I feel like definitely you don't want to because your friends will always stand up, like if you know, good friends will always like if you are upset at somebody, they will be ten times once you know what I mean, and it's hard for.
Speaker 2: Them to get past that. And exactly, you don't want your friends looking at your guy like, m we'll see how long you last. I heard about you yesterday.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I really protect that, so I say, you know, and plus listen, I come from a broken home many times, like I have enough of my own hang ups about marriage, like it's a huge accomplishment that I'm even like in a space where I feel confident in getting married. And I just feel like, you don't know what someone's personal story is when you, you know, lay your own baggage on them. So Brown break for the marriage, hate us.
Speaker 2: You millennial marriage. There's no more from you.
Speaker 1: It hasn't it hasn't been millennials, you know.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 1: I'm just are the ones you're excited.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to blend our brown breaks together. That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Oh, okay, got it. Sorry, I'll ask you what you did now. I caught up?
Speaker 2: What about some some No, it's not time for winds. It's time for tips, man.
Speaker 1: I think for tips this week. So we had a reader question and she really wanted to know her names Elena. I believe Lena wants to know if we can recommend books been essential or monumental to our careers. If you can't choose one, could we start sharing a recommended book for listeners at the end of each show.
Speaker 2: I actually like that idea. Lena, You is smart, You is intelligent, You is special.
Speaker 1: People do read books?
Speaker 2: See, Yeah, I know. And honestly, I like, look, I'm looking at my Kindle right now. So I'm a Kindle snob. I'm like Kindle Fire. You might as well just get another laptop. I like my Kindle What is it called paper white?
Speaker 1: You're a purist? Yeah, yeah, paper right too.
Speaker 2: I am. I'm like, I just want my Kendle just for reading. If I need all the other stuff, I just use my cell phone. But somebody did. I won an award and I got a free Kindle Fire that's still in the packaging. So someone's getting that for Christmas giftings. Okay, what totally Okay, So I'll give you my top. Well, I have a bunch of books that I love, but I'll give you two, Leida to start with one The Alchemist by Paolo Coelo. It is one of my favorite books of all time. To me, if you are like chasing a dream, it's just like a great book to read for if you are kind of like in that mindset he really talks about. The book is a it's a fiction book about a journey of a young boy, but it's so beautifully written. There's so many quotables. It's actually like one of the best selling books of all time, Pala Coello's book. And if you just read it, just take your time. Almost everyone that I know that's read it, it's like, oh my gosh, I love that book. And what he really just what you really learn at the end is that the journey and the dream of are one and the same, and to really like, how do you go forth in life and making sure that the thing you're striving for is also in alignment in the way you're striving for it. So The Alchemist like Alchemist by Paolo Coelo. And my second book I'll suggest to you is The Four Hour work Week by Tim Ferris Ferris with an F. I love that book because Tim Ferris is what it's part of. Well, he coined this term the new rich, so the old witch for this. You work, work, work, and you get old and then you retire and you live this good life. Tim Ferris is like, well, I don't want to have to be old to enjoy money and enjoy life, so he said, I want to be the new rich, you know. Instead, Tim Ferris believes that you should take many retirements throughout your life, like working really hard, taking a break, working really hard, taking a break, or just redesigning or practicing lifestyle design where you are actively designing your life to be what you wanted to be. And in The Four Hour work Week he teaches you how to do so through delegation, automation, all of these great tools. It's he I used that book to help me build a budgetista and like design the life that I'm living now and that like you know, I work for myself and I travel a lot and I enjoy what I do. So yeah, if you're if you're even if you're not looking to start a business. It's just a great book for anyone who's kind of like, I don't want to live the traditional like trajectory of life of working really hard and retiring when I'm old. I want to have fun now.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So those yeah, those are my two.
Speaker 1: What about you, Mandy, I need to read both those books. Those are books that I've always heard about but I've never like gotten around to. Meanwhile, I've been reading Harry Potter series, like sometimes, what.
Speaker 2: Am I gonna have time? I mean between these sty Potter books.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's so bad. I'm such a nerd here. I am like critiquing all these Star Wars fans who are like gigging out. Meanwhile, that was that was me when Harry Potter came into theories theaters but matter.
Speaker 2: So I've read them all to go ahead.
Speaker 1: So I thought about this and this is one of my favorite books. And I discovered it because when I started doing personal finance, I had no idea what I was doing, and I kind of learned by trial and error. And one of the books I came across, which happens to be free, is called Think and Grow Rich. Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill. This book is almost a century old. It might even be No, it was written in the thirties and nineteen thirties, so it's over set. What's seventy years old? This book, like literally Think and Grow Rich, It is free because it's out of the public It's in the public domain. You can google Think and Grow Rich pdf. You can download the pdf, print it out, whatever you want. It is the most basic and smart personal finance advice. It is if you read any personal finance book today, I mean Tony from Tim Ferris probably to like Tony Robbins, to Susie ormand Dave Ramsey. All of those principles are literally come from this book. You know, I'm not saying they're pulling from them. But if you read personal finance books long enough, a lot of things repeat themselves, right, like automate your savings, have a goal, have a plan for your goal, look ahead to the future. And he interviewed five hundred millionaires to find the success formula. Now, if you've read the synopsis of Tony Robbins's new, incredibly powerful, incredibly successful new book, it's basically the same concept. No shade to Tony Robbins, but I'm saying like, if you want the free version and a shorter one. By the way, Napoleon Hills. Thinking Garridge is awesome and he's just a fascinating person too, if you want to read about him. He's born into poverty in like Virginia, and the fact that he grew up to become an advisor to Andrew Carnegie and sold over seven million copies of this book. Like there's a reason he sold that many. I love Thinking Garridge. I kind of want to reread it. I mean, it's not like the sexiest book, but it's so simple and so basic. And the fact that you can get a PDF of it and it's you know it really it really has like those main primary tenants. There was a book on my desk today I got called The Index Card, which is coming out written by oh, another really good author, Helene Olin. This book is called The Index Card, and it's supposed to you know it's it's it's the idea that all the personal finance advice you need can fit onto an index card. I believe that, yes, And so that's kind of what I'm talking about here, like these basic tenants, like all these personal finance books, it's more about finding the flavor that works for you. Yes, because they all should be telling you some of the things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know what I mean, So like spend lesson you make, you know, invest automate. You're right that, like unless some new technology comes out, then it's basically the same tent. It's almost like like like the health food like the health industry, right, like exercise, eat right and eating moderation, you know what I mean. So it's like, yeah, I mean, so what is someone going to tell me unless you come up with some like some magic thing, some new technology that totally changes the game. But other than that, you just have to eat in moderation and eat some vegetables every once in a while and move your body.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. Yeah. So I would love to start making sure some more books. I'm sitting here thinking of so many more that I could talk about.
Speaker 2: So yeah, me too, I'm just doing that. We should have this book in that book, I'm like, well I read so Mandy, it's that time again. It's time for the feel good section portion of the BA podcast. It's time for weed. I know you have a good win.
Speaker 1: Sorry, I've went deaf in one ear.
Speaker 2: See how many trying to come to me. You know what, I didn't even do my hey, hey hey, I forgot.
Speaker 1: See it's been a while, I know.
Speaker 2: And you guys didn't even remind me. Come on, ba listeners, make some.
Speaker 1: More special if you do it every once in a night.
Speaker 2: Oh really, you see how many trying to shut me down again?
Speaker 1: Okay, it's a little sensitive tonight.
Speaker 2: So did you want to go first? I know you had a really great win, or did you want me to go first?
Speaker 1: I can go first. I wanted to shout out Ray. Okay, my girl Isray Adventures of an Awkward Black Girl. Did you ever watch that YouTube series?
Speaker 2: Of course?
Speaker 1: So funny? Oh god, So she's coming out with her own podcast. O. First of all, she has a TV show coming on HBO, which is going to be already pretty huge. By the way, if you're listening, Isray's friends or cousins or publicist. We're trying to get her to come on the podcast. Yeah I heard that she's been tied up with the show, is what we've heard back. So maybe I'll should sweet Atesray and tell her to come on the Brand Ambition podcast. Yeah, it'd be awesome. But anyway, she has a new so the TV show's coming out. This new podcast sounds really cool. It's not just going to be like her talking. It's called Fruit. It debuts in February, and it's going to be an original fiction based podcast centered around a person called X, a football player who's gay, okay, saying it's a guy. I don't know, which sounds really unique and interesting. I don't know. I just love her. I just love her point of view. I think it's so different and I'm excited that she's like finding another platform to tell her stories.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's good. I mean, it's the Ray. It's just it's just so dope because I remember, like I don't remember how many years ago it was, but my sister, one of my sisters, saying, oh my god, you totally have to watch this girl on YouTube. She's just like us. And I was like what, And I remember the first episode she showed me, It's the Ray, was like in the car, like wrapping the gangs, the rap as somebody pulls up, and I'm like, that is so me. The least gangs the person, you know, but like yeah, like in the car, like you know, like just dug down in the car until someone pulls up and you're like, Hi, how you doing.
Speaker 1: My favorite Oh, go ahead, go ahead. My favorite episode is the Stapler where she has to go to Anger Management where she like someone forget she she like takes a stapler and threatens to like kill somebody with it in the office, like she has one of her awkward outburst and then she has to go to Anger Management. That's where she meets White Jays.
Speaker 2: We love music.
Speaker 1: Oh. Also, she has a book out too.
Speaker 2: That's right, she does. I saw it like on I think one of my favorite podcasters, Crystal or An or Kid Fury, didn't they like host her party in New York. I was like, thanks for the I don't know, thanks for the invite, Kid Fury. If you know, you just let him know that hiss like he feels about Beyonce, the way he feels about Beyonce I feel about him. He'll know what that means.
Speaker 1: He's the most. You have her book on my I have her book about my night standing. To pick that up, Oh my god, I have too many Shandon rhymes. His book.
Speaker 2: You have to get on. You have to get like audible or something that like, so you can listen to them.
Speaker 1: That's true. I should do that, all right, well, that's my that's my win. What's your win?
Speaker 2: No, but I thought you had like a special award that you got.
Speaker 1: Oh I already forgot, since we recorded this already, I forgot what I said. Yeah, I was like a nudge nut. Oh yeah, I got a too. I got a too too, my own horn real quick. So at Yahoo, which is a company with like a gajillion bajillion people's if it's really if anyone works at a company, you know, it's really hard to feel like your work is valued and like you're noticed and stuff. But this week, this past week, our global editor in Chief Martha Nelson, who by the way, was the first woman to ever be editor in chief of Time, Inc. And by the way, started in Style magazine and renovated, reinvigorated people dot com, huge, huge media icon, she presented me with a Media Excellence Award at Yahoo for having one of the highest for having a couple of like the really high high ranking stories the past six months. And it was it was really it was just like a really special, unexpected moment and awesome. So yeah, it felt really good.
Speaker 2: You see, Mandy, you have to ask for her autograph. Oh yes, yes, she's gonna be wearing glasses and you can't ride the elevator with her. You have to ride separately. Right, I call you, Mandy Wintour.
Speaker 1: I did win. I did win an Apple TV, which I actually have no use for. I might regift it, don't I.
Speaker 2: Know for sure what I'm the queen of, especially for something good. I mean, that's a good one.
Speaker 1: I'm going to try to pry out of my fiance's hands because he's really attached to it, although we do not need it. We have like three other mechanisms for watching Hulu on our television.
Speaker 2: No, he's like no, He's like it's new. Yeah, No, we don't need any more gadgets. My win is that, Daniel what is it? Holds Witz law holts Claw. I know that that police officer that he raped or molested or side of my just just a myriad of sexual crime assaults aga women of color in Ohio. Right it was Ohio?
Speaker 1: Yeah it was wait, no, no, no, remember we made this mistake before. It's Oklahoma, Oklahoma. Are you sure?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Because remember I was like, Ohio, you suck and then I read oh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, now I'm not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm pretty sure it was Oklahoma.
Speaker 2: One of the oh, sorry, states, we know things and.
Speaker 1: Yeah it was Oklahoma City, okay.
Speaker 2: And so he was found guilty and I watched the video in Verdicaster was being read, and I don't know, it just really struck me as strange that he was like crying hysterically. I don't know, I just like, but and not even crying out of remorse. That's I guess that's what struck me. That a lot of times, when you know, you see people, they get really upset when they realize they're going to go to jail for a long time. You can kind of see they're like, oh man, what a mistake. This is terrible, why did I do this? But he was really crying out of like self pity, like, oh my life, I'm like, you raped and sideomi and assaulted all of these women, and now you're crying out of self pity. I don't know, it just really just I mean, usually I feel bad for people when they're feeling bad, but I didn't. I just was disgusted, honestly by him. And oh, there was this great quote and I meant to pull it up, but basically his lawyer was trying to defend him, like he was dilligent. He was a good guy. He was honest, and he had integrity. He might have been a little overzealous in practicing the law as a police officer, but where would we be without men like him? And someone one of the women said we'd be safe safe, and I just thought, Wow, that's very telling. And I hope that he spends a long, long, long time away from the public because he's a danger to people, well to women of color anyway, he's a danger.
Speaker 1: It means so much when you especially in the year the last two years we've had as far as coverage of police violence against African America in general, it's nice to see someone finally be held accountable, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: Like we just saw this week the same well this happened a week or so ago, but just recently, Freddie Gray's trial was declared a mistrial. And I'm like, how can you take someone into custody and between the time that you handcuff him and he rises at the police station, he's broken his neck and died, and yet no one's accountable. Yeah, that's just like Jerry's hung. The jury's confused like those Yeah, like very uh Liken get broken.
Speaker 2: You know, I've known people who've just been standing there and nothing's happened to them. Their neck has just magically snapped, Like what does that even mean? It's only because of the color of his skin that there's even a question that some police misconduct took place. And yeah, I don't think, you know, it's so crazy that I guess it's hard for people who are not brown to wrap their mind around what it must feel like when people think that bad things ought to happen to you because of how you look, or that you must have done something to bring this about. I don't think that, you know, people who are not brown can fully appreciate what that feels like coming up where I have to think to myself sometimes like well, I don't know, like if I say something about this, you know, maybe a shop girl followed me or whatever, or maybe someone like yelled at me or kurstyett or call me like the N word, Like, you know, is anyone going to believe me one? Or like even when I was in school, I went to school with like my school was like very not diverse. I think I had like one other brown girl in my middle school, my best friend Veronica and things would happen. I remember like finding out that Veronica was like suspended in like sixth or seventh grade for fighting a boy. And it was like, what Veronica. And when I went to her house after school, I'm like, what happened? She was like we were sitting in history class. They were talking about slavery, and one of the boys, who was not brown, who was right, said, oh, like if you if this was back in the day, you'd be a slave and word and and the teacher said nothing. And so Veronica looked at the teacher looked at the boy, and nothing was said, like no, chastising, no, don't say that, or that's terrible, or go to the principal. So see, the thing is, if they knew Veronica, like I knew Roonica, he would have took a step buck. Ronica is not the one. So she said, I got up and I jumped on him and I told him that, like and you know what, it's a shame that, like, but why does a sixth grader have to be the one to tell a boy that that's not okay? And like, you know, but of course she's the one who got suspended. I mean she you know, she shouldn't have like, you know, jumped on him. But at the same time, he should have got suspended too, but he did not. And so yeah, I don't think the people who don't live in this skin basically can fully appreciate what that feels like to know that you always come from a place of guilt and have to work your way to innocence in the eyes of the public.
Speaker 1: You know, that's that's absolutely true. And I mean I have white family. My mother is white, and she'll never understand fully, but I completely believe that you can want to understand or at least be open to listening. Like I think listening is so important. Like sometimes you just got to shut up and listen. I've always said this before, like white people, white wait, anybody in general, just shut up and listen. Like for I'm really proud of this. At Yahoo on Yahoo Finance, we just put up a story today, a video where we had six or seven women, men and women professionals of color you know around the New York area come into the studio and we just asked them, you know, what is it like being the only one in your office or being a minority in your office today? And it was fascinating how different each of their stories were. You know, one woman's like, oh, I'm a Latina, so everyone thinks that I can dance and I'm sassy. One of the people in the video is my friend from college, Tammy, and she's, you know, talking about how she's a black woman, she's incredibly accomplished. She works for the New York Times, and she's saying how I have to be careful not to raise my voice or someone will just think even if I'm passionate about something, their immediate thought will be, oh, you're just an angry black woman. Yes, you know. So I would say, like, you know, you can watch, you can read, you can watch, you can listen, and you can learn. You may not feel at one hundred percent, but you can at least appreciate that. And I think that that can do a world of difference, make a world of difference.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm hoping like that the way that kids are growing up now that I mean, you can't help but be injected with the fact that people are different, and you know, you can't hide anymore in like an all white neighborhood or all this neighborhood, or you know, you you're forced but well, exactly like we're doing exactly through your ear, like whether it's music, whether it's social media.
Speaker 1: You know, but the year twenty forty two majority minorities in America? Ooh, majority minority, majority, it's happening. Get on board.
Speaker 2: Isn't so crazy that we have to even say the fact that the that someone is a majority by definition means that they cannot be a minority. And yet that's the word that's still used, right you know, h ba, people, what are we going to do with this world? Keep being fabulous?
Speaker 1: I know what they're gonna do. They're gonna email us at the AMM Ambition Podcast if you have any questions, career questions, personal finance questions, Christmas questions. Oh my god, it's Christmas time. I know we have one more show before holiday.
Speaker 2: I know it's a little gift to you, a little if you know. I'd love to know what you guys are getting people up for Christmas or how are you dealing with that. I'm not even gonna lie. I have not purchased not one Christmas gift. It's not because I'm like the cheap budget Lisa. It's because I hate Christmas shopping honestly.
Speaker 1: Oh, oh, someone's in trouble.
Speaker 2: Woo woo. And on that note, we're out. They're coming for Mandy. They're coming for Mandy.
Speaker 1: All right, I have a good night. We'll see you guys next week.
Speaker 2: All right, by I talk to you guys later