Speaker 1: Somebody stuff.
Speaker 2: Tail stalls. When it comes to the economy, it seems like everybody has an opinion about what's going to happen next. Are we getting a recession? Can we execute a soft landing? Is the FED about to cut rates or are they standing pat And what about inflation? Has it stabilized in bottom or is it about to pick up again. The answer to these questions are mostly just opinions guesses from folks with rather questionable track records. As it turns out, you can cut through all of this confusing noise and let the economic data tell you its own story. I'm Barry Riddelts and on today's edition of At the Money, we are going to discuss how to allow economic data to reveal itself to you without the guestwork, opinions or the usual pundit pontifications. To help us unpack all of this and what it means for your portfolio, let's bring in Bill McBride. He runs Calculated Risk. Bill has used economic data to create opinion free analysis of the economy over the past two decades, and he has accurately identified booms, busts, bubbles, and recoveries in real time and at major turning points, including the Great Financial Crisis and its subsequent housing bottom and recovery. So Bill, let's just start with economic data. Typically it's noisy most of the time, not especially meaningful. How do you identify what data series to follow and which releases are important?
Speaker 3: Well, there's several major releases on the Employment Report, the GDP report, and since my major focus is on the housing market, is also housing starts and new home sales. But I follow quite a few other data releases, mostly just to see if something's not tracking what you kind of expect. And it's really kind of the surprises that change your views or brings you, you know, insights into what's actually changing in the economy.
Speaker 2: So it sounds like you're paying the most attention nonfarm payrolls, which comes out every month, GDP which comes out quarterly, and then housing sales and new home starts, both of which are monthly. Do I have that right?
Speaker 1: That's correct? I think those are the major releases to follow.
Speaker 2: Do you think those have the most predictive value as to what happens next?
Speaker 3: Well, I think the Employment Report actually tells you the best what's happening now. The GDP report tends to you know it's quarterly's it gets heavily revised. The unemployment rate is monthly, and so you know when the unemployment rates at three to nine that the economy is in pretty good shape.
Speaker 1: New home sales and housing starts do have some predictive value.
Speaker 3: Not always, but generally, if new home sales and housing starts are increasing, the economy is going to be fine for the next few years. If they decrease sharply, there's a potential for a recession. But it's not you know, no model is perfect. We saw a number of major economists get fooled by the inverted yield curve and the sharp drop in housing starts and new home sales that were related to the pandemic and that so you always have to take everything with a grain of salt.
Speaker 1: But I think those there is some predicted value in housing starts.
Speaker 2: I like the concept of GDP unemployment in housing starts as past, present and future really gives you the broad range of what's going on. But let's talk about the flips out of that. What do you think people in both investors and economists pay too much attention to and what data series perhaps should they be spending less time with.
Speaker 3: I think probably the one people should ignore the most is anything doing with sentiment.
Speaker 1: M it's more of an opinion.
Speaker 3: Especially in the last decade or two, we've we've we've seen a real a political tinge to it, so, especially especially on the conservative side, when there's a Democratic president that the economy is terrible to many Republicans, uh and their Democrats. Is a little bit the same way that there are some surveys that that's all it does is really tell you who's president?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Right? Is That's that's fascinating. I always find it amusing when you look at certain models that have a survey component. Owner's equivalent rent What do you think you can rent your house for? Always kind of cracks me up. And the one that really I couldn't agree with you more about ignoring sentiment is the Federal Reserve asking ordinary people where do you think inflation is going to be in five years? I can't imagine a more useless question than that.
Speaker 3: There's probably a little value tobout, but I understand what you're saying.
Speaker 1: Sentiment in general is hard to measure.
Speaker 2: So let's talk a little bit about inflation. Are there things that you pay close attention to rent, food, fuel, mortgage rates. What are you looking at when you want to figure out what's happening in the world of inflation.
Speaker 3: You know, inflation is especially interesting topic right now, obviously because it impacts what the Fed's going to do, which impacts interest rates. Part of the problem is we had a huge surge in rent related to household firmation, really mostly in twenty twenty one, but going into twenty twenty two and now asking rents are basically flat year over year and have been for some time now.
Speaker 1: But the measure of rents.
Speaker 3: That go into CPI and PCEE, they include renewals, which they should. You know, the people that are getting in renewals are still catching up to the fact that the rent surged a year or two years ago. But this is a key point is monetary policy cannot impact what happened to rents two years ago. It can only impact what's happening today. So you know, there's a different people that sometimes renders say to me, well, wait, my rent still going up. Yeah, that's because it's a renewal and monetary policy doesn't impact that at all. So when you look at the CPI reports for the last few months, the.
Speaker 1: Government's reporting.
Speaker 3: One of the sentences in there has been a fifty is related to rents or something close to that of the of the CPI increase. So what I've been doing is I've been taking rents out of the inflation to see where we're at, and we're much closer, and for several months we were at the Fed's target. So this is this is a little balancing act for the Fed is how much should they look at rents and how much should they exclude it from what they're what they're doing.
Speaker 2: Let's talk real estate. There's so many different elements that go into residential housing. It's people's incomes, what mortgage rates are at local housing supply, and the aforementioned rentals. What do you watch most closely in this area? What do you think people should be watching that perhaps they're not.
Speaker 3: I think the key to watch is inventory. That's you know, it's a there is supply and demand. We still have pretty good demographics. We have a large cohort in the home buying age group in their thirties. On the flip side, the inventory, of course has been very low, but it's starting to increase. It's still pretty thirty percent below kind of a normal level. Since sales are down so much, I've been looking more at months of supply, and that is probably going to get back to twenty nineteen levels later this year, and that says that house prices will basically be flat to only up slightly by the end of the year.
Speaker 1: I think so.
Speaker 2: In twenty twenty two and twenty twenty three, just about every economist out there was looking for a recession. You were not, And you got it right. What were you seeing that told you we recession was not imminent when everybody else seemed to be stuck on the inverted yield curve?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Well, you know, there were several economic analysts who didn't think there would be a recession. Claudia Sami, who you've interviewed recently, Yon Hotsuits, Goldman Sachs chief economists who everybody should read if they get a chance. In twenty twenty two, I didn't see there was no reason.
Speaker 1: To expect a recession at all.
Speaker 3: In twenty twenty three that you started seeing some signs of a possibility. The Federal Reserve staff was even predicting a recession in twenty twenty three. So, but I mean, the key things that people were looking at was the inverted YO curve, which is still inverted, and the fact that housing starts dropped off pretty sharply. But what they weren't looking at was other parts of pandemic economics.
Speaker 1: If you will.
Speaker 3: Auto sales had been really depressed because of supply issues, and so that meant auto sales were going to pick up in twenty twenty three, which they did, and there were other parts of the economy that had similar things were the supply issues were going to start easing up from the pandemic. So if you factored in pandemic economics, I thought was saying, hey, we need to watch, but I don't think we're going to have a recession, and we didn't.
Speaker 2: So given all of the above, if investors want to focus on one or two data series to give them some idea of where we are and where we're going, what two data series should they be paying attention to over the next few years.
Speaker 3: Unemployment rate and the payroll report is critical. What's important over time changes. Yes, there's times when the weekly unemployment claims is very important. That's important when you really do think that there's a possibility of a recession, But that only matters in that particular situation. Probably the most important thing is the inflation reports and being able to look at them, look at them with taking the rents out to kind of get a feel for what's happening, So you know, I would definitely be following both of the inflation reports CPI and the PCE report wrap up.
Speaker 2: Investors should realize they don't need to follow every data release, every news report, every economic announcement that comes out, but you should be aware of where we are in the cycle, when we're closer to a recession, when things are in danger of slowing down. The weekly new unemployment claims are worth tracking, but in the meantime, you should be watching unemployment rates, you should be watching housing starts, and lastly, you should be paying attention to both CPI and PCE reports to give you a sense of when the FED or if the FED is going to cut or stay pat I'm Barry Retolts and this is Bloomberg's at the Money to Tail Store to Tail Ustall