Speaker 1: Worrying. This episode contains no spoilers. Really, there's no spoilers in this.
Speaker 2: Hello.
Speaker 1: My name is Jason Concepcion and I'm Rosie Knight and welcome back to Extra edition.
Speaker 2: In the podcast Where We Dive Deep, it's your.
Speaker 1: Favorite shows, movies, comics of pop, Closer Company, Your My Heart or you Three of Us is week.
Speaker 2: Listeners. In today's episode, we're gonna zoom out like we're Superman flying above Earth, looking down, taking stock of James Gunn's DCU so far and what we can look ahead to as Matt Reeves Batman Universe, how does that factor into all of it? Are we gonna see the Andy Mauschetti Batman ever? Like where do we stand? We're gonna be talking about it, So we'll be talking about that Tale of two Batman, super Girl? Where do you stand? Are you read? Are you excited? Is it enough to keep it going? Then we'll look at some upcoming projects like Lanton's Clay Face Man of Tomorrow and just give you on laya the land of where we think DC's headed halfway into twenty twenty six bomb.
Speaker 1: Yes, since the DC Deep Dive, there's things to be excited about. There's things to be worried about. Let's start something that we are unabashedly excited about that I think is a stategic hedge on the part of DC should correct. Should the gun Averse falter, we have a parallel path that perhaps that we can we can build upon, and that is Matt Reeves and the Batman Part two, his parallel universe Batman not involved in the gun Averse versions of the characters, or so we think, right it certainly seems that way right now.
Speaker 2: It's connected kind of an elseworld situation to the main gun of us. But there has been rumors that that could change, I think.
Speaker 1: Especial I'm sure they've been talking about.
Speaker 2: It exactly so, probably having that conversation as we speak.
Speaker 1: So the Baman Part two h slated for in October first, twenty twenty seven release, which feels like it's that's maybe you know, it's not that far away eating along.
Speaker 2: This is the thing that I think has changed since the last time we talked about this. Most where we expected James Gunn's universe to be and the motion we expected it to have by this point that many people worried would leave the Batman two in the dust has not necessarily materialized in the way we expected. Instead, the Batman Part two, you know, Matt Reeves was releasing one image, one gift, and it was kind of running all over the gun of us like a batmobile, like it took over the Internet. And I think that switch in motion is one of the things why we like. Okay, I think we got to talk about where we're at.
Speaker 1: So let's let's talk about the casting first, because there's a lot of exciting news there. I will note that that the casting has not officially been confirmed by DC, but it's very interesting, which is very interesting. I'm not sure what the strategy is there. But here's who we have thus far. Of course, Robert Pattinson returning as the young and Emo Bruce Wayne. We have Jeffrey Wright returning as Jim Gordon, Andy serkuses Alfred the kind of buff Zaddie, Alfred Pennyworth. Colin Farrell, of course is very important in this universe as Oskob the Penguin, Jamie Lawson as Mayor Bella, Real gilpras Abraham's Offers and Martinez. And here are your new editions. We have Sebastian stan as Harvey Dent.
Speaker 2: Love it. Yeah, still allegedly not officially confirmed, but we it kind of seems officially confirmed, but.
Speaker 1: He's talking about it at Cannes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's talking about it, so it's like it's confirmed.
Speaker 1: He said it can that. He plays quote many roles in this one, so obviously that seems like a Harvey Dent little two faced above situation right, also double dipping in the MC universe. Scarlett Johansson as rumored rumored to be Gilded Dent crazy.
Speaker 2: But also makes sense if you know who she is and what Matt has adapted before we can get into that. Marris, we talk about it. Brian Yvee Henry no rumors and that night to know who's that is?
Speaker 1: We will I. I don't know. We have Charles Dance The Great Dance, Oh, that would be awesome, Taiwan Lanister himself as Christopher Dent, the father Christopher Dent and which I love that casting, and then Sebastian Koke. We have also no rumors about this. So the setting certainly seems like it takes place in winter based on Reeves's kind of first look material that he released on.
Speaker 2: This it's seen some snowy Gotham.
Speaker 1: Yes, This has kind of sparked some mister Freeze speculations.
Speaker 2: A little bit of mister I would love to see Brian Tyree Henry as mister Freeze. I think that would incredible. I also think Sebastian Coach could be mister Freeze. I also think it could not be mister Freeze. When I interviewed Matt Reeves years ago before The Batman came out about an Amazon TV show he adapted from a photo book, which was actually really interesting. We just kind of were vibing, started talking about Batman, and he gave me a bunch of scoops, and one of the things he shared was his favorite Batman movie is Batman Returns, which I think actually comes through a lot in the first Batman. But I think here that kind of potential of it being a Christmas movie, the wintery iciness of it all, that a modernized version of that really does feel like it would be adapting Heart of Ice or something like that. So I'm excited. Interesting also in the comics, So put your ears spoiler ears on now, guys, if you do not want to be spoiled for what could potentially happen in the comics. Gilda Dent is Harvey Dent's wife, so very interesting to do a little MCU pairing there. But she's also a serial killer, and depending on the canon, she is the serial killer that we know that Falcone was, Sophia was maybe potentially blamed for being. So there is some really interesting connections to the Penguin and.
Speaker 1: That's where they're going.
Speaker 2: I think that's where they're going to. And it makes me so excited, because guys, the Penguin is so good. You might forget it, but it's so good and it's so scary and it's so sad, and the Batman is so good too, and I know people are having this kind of revisionist feeling that it's not that good now, and if that's how you feel, I totally respect it. But I think this is such a dark, interesting space in the DC universe. It reminds me of Batman, the animated series. And if they're really going to continue the Holiday killer stuff, the long Halloween stuff with this two female serial killer potential, I just think that's so interesting. I'm just I want to know more.
Speaker 1: So principal photography is go underway in Glasgow, with some second unit stuff going on in Liverpool. It does, so Reeves used a really interesting gift of Scarlett Johansson gilded dent in that storyline that there's some Long Halloween mm hmmm kind of reflections as well. I wonder, I do wonder which way they're gonna go. But that does make a lot of sense that you would use Gilda as the serial killer go pull from Long Halloween. Now here's the question. The end of the first Batman, we saw Barry Kiyogan as the Joker. We have no information about him, which leads me to believe that either he is a big part of the movie or not in the movie. There's tween.
Speaker 2: I I agree completely one hundred. I do think his star was more on the rise. It was pre fumbling Sabrina Koppana, which to kind of change his cultural cachet with young people.
Speaker 1: But I think I think there's I will let me say one thing about that. I get, Yes, he fumbled Sabrina Carpenter, and he should and and that's star culture, and that's pop culture, and that's absolutely fine. Be making fun of myself for fumbling Sabrina. It's fantastic. And it's of course like the juice, the juiciness of the fact that she's written songs about like that.
Speaker 2: Too, and how it was when they went together and stuff. You can't help me make it's front of.
Speaker 1: The guy because you think he's ugly. I just think it's no. I think that's fucked up. We've gone to it's it's gone too far. And when he said when he said, like I forget where on the red carpet somewhere or some interview where it's like he actually had to go offline and he feels like he can't go outside because people are just like taking pictures of him in order to post how ugly he is. I think that's just crazy.
Speaker 2: No, that shit's great.
Speaker 1: That's how you crash somebody's psyche to the point that they end up like on meds like don't do that.
Speaker 2: Actually, glad that you brought that up, because totally agree and also very fucked up because the same people will be online talking about everyone looks the same as them pick blah blah blah blah blah. But they're also like not embracing somebody who's actually a great character actor who looks a certain way because they don't like the way he looks or they don't think he's conventionally attractive.
Speaker 1: That shit's corny. It's it's corny. It's very bad. I will also add one more thing that all those photos like he is Ringo star in the upcoming videos movie, and so all the videos and photos are him with like I don't love the haircut either, and it does not maybe doesn't frame his face in the most like a flattering way, but like he's playing star, he's playing a beetle, and it used it. I just found it, like I just found it over the social media's turn. But I felt really at that point, I'm like, guys lit up.
Speaker 2: But also as well, if you want to criticize somebody because they treated somebody else badly, the best way to do it is not by treating them badly, you know what I mean, Like, come on, guys, and especially not on a global platform. But I will say all of that to say leading into my point, which I actually think is you're right. He's either not in it because he said I don't want to high profile thing like that I'm pulling out, or or he absolutely is the main villain and we're gonna get this really scary kind of comeback performance for him from him that's gonna make everyone go, oh shit. That's why we were excited because also, if you're smart and you're Matt Reeves, you were able to do something really terrifying with the Riddler, really different, and you were able to kind of lay that out and not act like there were many surprises, and it was more about the characters. If they do the same where they're like, look at this Sebastian Stan kind of Noari take Gilda Dad, but in the background is this kind of monstrous joke. I think that is could be a really cool take and again, something we haven't seen for a while, something the Gun of Us has not done yet, so it would be a pretty big deal.
Speaker 1: Well, speaking of the Gun of Verse, let's now transition to a property. So we're very excited obviously about The Batman per two. We are I think it to carry you know, to speak for extra Vision as a whole. I think we are hopefully excited about The Brave and the Bold, slated for release in late twenty twenty eight, directed by Any Musquetti, script by Christina Hodson, who did The Flash and bubble Bee.
Speaker 2: Well, I want to say, let's not I don't want to blame her for The Flash because I had like fifty right as by the end, the Flash.
Speaker 1: Was a very very particular.
Speaker 3: Yes wit that I want to read the book on the Flash when we get the book about what that was about, the push, the media swing.
Speaker 1: The star of the film was like an active fugure.
Speaker 3: It was Tom Cruise is like being shown the movie in his house. It was crazy, like I need to see the Argo style movie about that rollout, Like what the fuck? But Christina Hodson did write Bumblebee fucking incredible for that.
Speaker 1: A wonderful Transformers movie.
Speaker 2: Uh. She wrote Harlequin and the Birds of Prey, which we know is also a fantastic movie, really enjoyable, great writing. So I think there's a lot to be excited about here, especially because it kind of seemed like from what they were saying, James Gunn was saying, this would be introduced, this would be based on Grant Morrison's stuff, and it would be very much about Damian Wayne and Batman's relationship with him, which seemed very exciting right when it was announced two or three years ago. Does it feel realistic now that that movie will come out?
Speaker 1: Question Mark, Here's what I have to say. So Gunn has stated that there'll be no casting and certainly no casting news until there's an actionable script. So there's probably no actionable script here is what I think. I think that this is where I believe the gun of her side of DC is hoping that they can co opt the Batman, and Matt Reeves is the Batman in some way. I think the late twenty twenty eight right allows this kind of leap frog thing. It has been reported that the script is complete. Obviously, the Damian Wayne part of it is in flux. There's a lot of casting here to do. But I do think that the hope is to link the Reeves elseworld verse and the standard DC universe worlds with this Brave in the Bold in particular, because you know the Brave in the Bold it's not a it's like it's a it's a team up.
Speaker 3: It's that so you're on this side. As soon as it's talking about this, I.
Speaker 1: Was like, yes, Like it.
Speaker 2: Can mean a lot to make a break from the Bold movie. You can have different universes. You can have music Master as a villain, right, you can have you know, it can be weird and silly, and also I think what's very interesting about this choice is. I saw Robert Pattinson at the Batman screening at on the Warner Brothers lot just before the movie came out, like a press screening. He was doing a Q and A. Somebody asked him what his dream would be, and he said it would be to do Batman and Robin. And obviously, this is Robert Pattinson, so he says a lot of silly things, and he said, but I'd only do it if it was a kid. He's like, I want to do Batman, but the kid is twelve, and I think I love it. I love it, fucking love it. And he's right. And at the scuse he's beginning, people kind of laughed, but he actually expounded on it and was like, how do you take care of a kid? Who's the kind of person who would put a kid in this situation? So interesting and so when and obviously you cast older and the kid is, you know, seventeen eighteen, but they're playing thirteen or whatever, but they've never done it. Chris O'Donnell is like, thirty Batman and.
Speaker 1: Six I think is the closest attempt. But then again, you know, we were casting older and pretending to be younger, but I think really casting it kid would be very much.
Speaker 2: As soon as James Gunn said, oh, we want to do Batman and Robin like the Morrison version, I sort of went, well, that's really what Robert pitched. So I always thought it was interesting. I don't know if they're going to go as crazy as to actually have Rob be the Batman, but I will say once you get into the later part of that arc, there is some really and we've talked about this right there is a version where the Brave and the Bold is Dick Grayson as Batman and Damian Wayne as Robin, and the reason that they have to do it is because Robert Pattinson's Batman is not there or has disappeared or blah blah blah. You know. So there is a version where you can do a comics accurate version where Dick essentially is Batman and it's about his relationship with Damien while still having a Bruce Wayne in Robert Pattinson, but without ever having to have him be Batman.
Speaker 1: I believe, and I think we both believe that the hope of the Gunner verse is to get Pattinson's being a Batman in this world. Here's why I think that. Obviously, there's there's no casting on the Batman for the Brave and the Bold yet, right, And there's been a lot of names that have been thrown around Jensen Acles which I think would be interesting but probably won't have.
Speaker 2: And he's done voice acting.
Speaker 1: He's done voice acting before, right, Obviously this is a huge casting call. Now, Superman came out July eleventh, twenty twenty five, we knew that it was corn Sweat, and oh my god, we knew two years or earlier June twenty conversations, and we knew in LA we were actually hearing about that for like six months before we knew who the Yes, I knew who the three were, right, we knew who the top three were.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: The fact that there is nothing and this is slated for twenty twenty eight release.
Speaker 2: When twenty that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: I think they're hoping it's Pattinson because there would be something by now, there'd be something. That's my That's what I ask.
Speaker 2: I agree. I think that there is sixty percent of whatever side at Warner Brothers is going for that and is doing every negotiation, and I think Matt and Rob are probably pushing back or wanting some kind of creat grief say so over it, like they would want to have at.
Speaker 1: Least epa exactly.
Speaker 2: Yes, absolutely, and also like Matt Reeves having some kind of like you know, Kevin Feige esque like roll on the back, almost as if how the comics are where there's about there's a Metropolis office, there's a Gotham office, you know, sort of like that. I think that would be a really interesting approach. I also think that there's probably forty percent or a little team at least who job is to be fucking looking at every single self tape in the world trying to find a Batman who says interesting and weird and talkative casting, because the problem with casting a different Batman to Robert Pattinson is that his casting that shouldn't have worked. It had the Michael Keaton, oh no, don't do this, but it also had its immediate cult following. Like, guys, let me tell you about the day that they announced Robert Pattinson got cast as Batman. If you were in this space, and this was back when we were getting paid to write a lot of articles.
Speaker 3: They're paying me articles to write about like why they didn't show the top of the ears on the mask, and I'm writing an article about how it could because they're six inches long.
Speaker 2: Because that's like the crazy Gothic version. You know. People were so excited and talking and angry and everything you want from a casting, and then Rob delivered on it. And not only just that, but the movie made eight hundred million dollars. So they need something that can do that, right, That's the thing, and I think Rosie was.
Speaker 1: If you are in Warner Brothers marketing, mm hmm, I'm sorry, but it's a disaster to have two different actors playing Batman and you're trying to sell that. You're trying to tell audiences why that. Okay, well one is in elsewhere. Obviously people like us and people who listen to Extra Vision get it, but the why your audience will be confused. And so I have to imagine that there's a significant push, just institutionally, non creatively, to be like, why would we we have Robert Pattinson? Why would we do this? So the question is at good point, it happens or it doesn't happen.
Speaker 2: This is a really great thing that I think is going to lead into our next topic. Well, well yes, before, but like, but the one thing is as well, Rob is kind of like a loose cannon on a press tour and they know that and they like it, but he will be saying crazy stuff, right, So imagine if you're like young, sweet upcoming actor who gets picked as the Batman at Warner Brothers and one day Robert Pattinson's talking about like, oh, Batman's a top, Batman's like a selfish cop or something. And the next day this poor kid, they're like, do you think Batman's a top or a bottom? Like them is asking them, and this kid is just like, what is going on? That is what could happen? So I think just like, you've either got to have someone who can compete like cars Zendeya as Batman. That's the one person I've ever seen Rob go toe to Toto on a press tour. Otherwise it's gonna be a problem.
Speaker 1: Let's take a break and return to talk about film property that we are a little worried about.
Speaker 2: Probably know what it is.
Speaker 1: If you listening to the show, Yeah, and we're at okay. Supergirl coming out June twenty sixth, twenty twenty six mm hmmm, directed by Craig Gillespie, Screenwrider, and an Aguera. Are we worried? Here are some numbers. Here is some context. First of all, tracking early obviously early tracking right now, but box office theory projects a domestico but of between forty seven and sixty five. Yeah, which is the Marvels and Black Adam. That's the low and the high. That's bad. The budget. We don't know the budget of this movie us. That's another red flag.
Speaker 2: Bad.
Speaker 1: That's a big red flag. But Puck estimates that it's about one seventy, which is honest.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: If I was one of brothers, I'd be boasting about that.
Speaker 1: I would be boasting about that.
Speaker 2: It was one of the funny things Disney did that was really small. In the lead up to Mandalorian. They went, this is cheap. You might say it looks like three episodes put together because it's cheap, and everyone went for cheap. It looks kind of good.
Speaker 1: More numbers rumor is and I believe this rumor to be true based on everything I hear as a person living in the Angela's the dude's work that we do that there have been more than ten test screening.
Speaker 2: Oh god, I'd heard eight, but this ten, I believe it because eight was.
Speaker 1: A fun I believe it. I believe it. I believe it as well. Sadly, I believe it.
Speaker 2: And unfortunately it's struggling to fight. It's not like they did ten and now they found the banger gem version. It's like they did ten, and every single time you know that the cool edge is getting fucking sounded off, like That's how it feels to me.
Speaker 1: Ten is a tremendous amount. I will also say that there is a new TV trailer that's been airing, like during the NBA playoffs and stuff, and the newest, the latest one, is noticeably of a different tone than the previous marketing, more action based, less story based. The dog is not in it and at all. Lobo is much more front and center, and he was kind of front and center in the previous versions, which says to me that they are at the eleventh hour look for a different way to position this movie for an audience. All of which is to say and the fact that even at this late date, there has been very very little Milli Alcock selling this movie or Milli Alcock friendly interviews. There was a uh recent podcast appearance what's the name of.
Speaker 2: Them, VC Studios Showcase. It's the official DC podcast. They just relaunched for season two, and it looks like it was very much to bring Milly out to the public and stuff. Yes, but it's really the first thing, Like, we haven't seen Milly on hot ones. I thought that was like an absolute shoe in. We haven't seen that Brosnahan corn sweat out on the town doing every press tour, doing puppy interviews. She has not been given that treatment, or she's not wanted it, whichever way round. But it does feel odd.
Speaker 1: No, no chicken date. No, Oh my gosh, Yes, I would have known. Sharing shop day. You're right, I'm officially concerned. I'm worried. And it's not just like the it's everything. It's the screenings. It's the fact that Alcock, who is a very talented actor. It seems like Warner Brothers is struggling.
Speaker 2: To help her find her like vibe and voice. Yeah, find an angle, I know, yeah, please. Common made a great point, right, this I think was This is a great Common By the way, if you didn't know this, our superduced comment is like a fashion maven. Right, she's got the eye so she will catch like a jompul got a piece you didn't even see in a film, and she'll tell you and she'll be right. So she made a great point where even the styling for Millie, this is meant to be punk, this is meant to be bad ass, Like why don't they have her in vintage Vivian Westward at every interview, like what or even just like a little ripped shirt, Like it doesn't feel like the tone of the movie or the character is getting even in this all details. Whereas I feel like every time you saw David Korn sweat, he looked like he could rip off his shirt and Superman would be underneath it, right, same with Lois Lane. Every single outfit was a beautifully put together, kind of seventies inspired workspace. I don't know anything about Millie or the character, and it's actually okay to not know anything about Millie, but then you have to make it about Kara, And I think what I've been always worried about. I actually was worried about this when they announced the movie, and if you remember, guys, I think this is the biggest thing that was always going to be a problem. When they announced this movie. There was a lot of conversation about whether it would be R rated because of the nature of the book. Right, So you take something that's that edgy, that dark, that fantastical, and suddenly it's gone from is this going to be an R rated DC female led badass revenge movie to this is a PG thirteen female led movie where just before it starts to come out, nobody's promoting it's it's giving the original super movie. And that's not to say it's not gonna be a good movie. It's to say that once again, I think a studio has found themselves where they don't know how to position a female lead movie. And I also do think I think that's part of it, right, And I think that part of that if you if we go back to looking at what DC's done recently, you know, I just spoke about Harlequin and the fantabulous emancipation of the birds prey and all that kind of stuff. I love that movie. I got to go on the set. They did kill a promo for that movie. They had us fly out for the premiere to London to do the junkit. That's where I got to do my question about Arlene and the inspiration of Harlequin and that kind of easter egg. They had to that and it's really was such a cool energy And it was February twenty twenty and COVID shut down the world. The movie didn't make very much money, and the next movie they released that was female led at DC was Wonder Woman Too, which was an immense flop, Wonder Woman nineteen eighty seven. It was part of the platform same day, same date release. The movie did not get good reviews, it did not hit, not get the numbers they wanted, and I think they are still struggling post Birds of Prey, which I think was a good step in the right direction, unfortunately hindered by you know, the world and also bias media coverage because if you look at how other movies with men are covered that made similar routs money and if you look at what super movies are making now, they'd probably have been happy with it. But I do think they still don't know what to do. Like the saddest thing for me, and this is normal, Like I am in my room which is full of branded stuff. I have Star Wars tattos, like I'm not averse to IP and the marketing aspect of it all. But I get more promoted ads for Supergirl, like makeup and socks, then I see of videos of merely talking about the movie. And that's a problem. You've got to have it the other way around. You've got to make people so excited that when they see a little Supergirl sock or a crypto popcorn bucket, they go, actually, I want a little bit more of what I've been getting. I love how much I want to purchase that, not this thing, and maybe you'll like the movie. And unfortunately, I just feel like every press is negative. I feel like all of Millie's comments are getting picked up in this way that feels so twenty sixteen, this kind of like she's, oh she doesn't like men or ever. It's just like what I.
Speaker 1: Want to say, because okay, so you know, there was a there's a piece in Variety from May twentieth that leans, you know, very heavily on or the aggregation leans very heavily on like Alcock calling out burner accounts that are criticizing her and the kind of typical right wing screeds that you yeah.
Speaker 2: And she's getting picked up on the daily wire and it's just like very and.
Speaker 1: Which by the way like that was always gonna happen. It didn't matter it was Millie Alcock.
Speaker 2: Who No, it could have been whoever like this is. It doesn't matter. It's just the fact it's a female led supera movie. They don't care what it's about. They don't care that it's based on true grit. They don't care it's actually very messy. They don't care.
Speaker 1: But the fact that we don't have a strategy to make to counterbalance that aggregation that's gonna happen from the right leaning.
Speaker 2: That you know it's gonna happen. It's gonna have brothers know this because of the Snyder cart they know, yes, more than.
Speaker 1: So, why don't we have other things ready to pop to counterbalance that. The fact that we don't have, you know.
Speaker 2: Even just like her unboxing a video, unboxing a toy or something like that South.
Speaker 1: The Hot Ones type of thing, or the Chicken Chop date sort of approach. It doesn't even need to be talking about the movie. It's just like, here is this, here's million Alcock, who's a fun person exactly.
Speaker 2: And I will say, like, so, this is obviously comparing to a movie that also might not do financially well. So I can't say if this is a better marketing campaign or not. But look at the difference between like Cami Mendes for he Man Masters of the Universe. She is everywhere for that movie, and it's just silly little bits like she will be walking down the street and there'll be a Teler poster and she'll do like a funny dance in front of the Teler poster and then like strike a blue teal. But that goes people share them. They're like, oh, this is a person who's excited to be in the movie. I feel like Warner Brothers and DC should have enough of a press mechanism that they could be pumping out like cool stories about Millie at the same time as these stories are coming out that basically just paint her as exactly what these men think she is. And I like that, like be unlikable, don't play the game. But as Warner Brothers, you should be protecting her. That's my opinion, Like why isn't you. I know that they have somebody whose job, like they've got to have someone whose job is to just tell James Gunnwott comics to read right, And I love that that's great. I love the amount of hope and kind of inspiration that gives to young artists that your stories can shape these billion dollar movies they should have. Why don't they? Why isn't there just the video of her reading Supergirl Women of Tomorrow, Like there's just I could pitch so many little ideas that I feel like they are just not putting the juice behind. Why is Jason Momoa doing more press stops? Actually I sadly know the answer because if you read the reports, and I think there was a Hollywood Reporter article about after about eight screenings where a lot of the feedback that was positive was should have been more Lobo, which I said from the beginning, don't put him in the movie because you're immediately doing a disservice to the story and to the characters who are the main characters, which are her and Ruthie. If you put Lobo in, people are gonna want to more Lobo unless you make her and Ruthie equally engaging.
Speaker 1: I'll just say this that I think that I think there's several things going on. If I had to guess, I think one that Millie is not She's not ready for this level of media attention and the media training if it's working, is not caught caught up with her and maybe she doesn't like doing it. I get it. This is you know, to cast someone in a movie like this is about It's not just about the on camera performance, it's the full package. Can you go out and sell this movie? Can you go out and appear in all the outlets, do the red carpet walk, do the appearance on the view and make this make the audience excited to see this movie. And I think, like reading this Variety article, there's so many parts, like a huge part of this article hinges on how much Milly was unsure if she really wanted to do the role, like it was right, And I get the framing of like, oh this is a challenge, but a lot of it it reads as like I wasn't sure I wanted to do it and sure I'll do it. And that's the kind of thing where we just need to reframe, guys, like we need to we need to reframe this in a different way. And I feel that if anything, if there is a failure here, it is DC failing to position million Alcock for success. One agree after investing in her to cast her and maybe first of all, casting someone who is maybe not ready for this, like if if there's a failure, it's in the gun Saffron like side of the fuel. I agree, and that is unfortunate. That's unfortunate. Now we will see, but the but the signs right now are bad.
Speaker 2: I want it. I want it to come out and have the absolute insane impact that her performance had in House of the Dragon, where we were just begging for more even though we knew they were only going to be in a certain amount of episodes. I'm hoping that's it. But also from the very beginning, I do feel like they set her up for failure by it doesn't seem like they really gave her the tools to prepare for how a role like this is gonna be received. It also raises an interesting question about fandom. Just before we finished, because I was talking to another friend, an incredible colleague called Noela Williams, who's a great journalist and activist, and we were talking about how there is a worrying trend where studios are basically casting people. This was like the new Game from the Last of Us Guys. It came up around that with Tati Gabrielle being the main character, and they basically had to boot camp her through what it would be like to be trolled. And it's just like that's where we're at, and it fucking sucked. But at least they had to go in. They went about it in a fucked up but proactive way. I feel like Warner Brothers didn't do anything, and it just seems like from the moment Millie started to get insulted, she was like, fuck this, like it's not worth my time, which I received, which is a human Yeah, but they should have prepared her, like I've seen the I saw the Riverdale kids on set from season one to season like, I think it was like three for change through the incredible like media training, learn to protect themselves, learn to share what they wanted to share, learn to be vibrant when they did and hold back when they needed to. I want Milly to have that level of care. I don't think they gave it to and I worry that she will be blamed for this when it's actually like a lot.
Speaker 1: Of people, well, she will be blamed and that's not fair. I also think that, you know, with regards to the misogynistic criticism that is frankly part of the landscape and will come her way and the way of other women who are cast in roles that are this prominent. I think the.
Speaker 2: Move is.
Speaker 1: If you give that side any fuel, they're just gonna run with it, Like even making the comments which I think are right where she's like, you know, just existing as a woman, blah blah blah, the unhealthy relationship with fans and people like that. I'm being controlled by someone who's like profile, says dad of foreign Christian. Oh, it's so that's like, just say fuck them?
Speaker 2: Who cares?
Speaker 1: Exactly?
Speaker 2: The problem is that's what she hasn't been taught and that is so relatable as a young person and an online person. Right when I was a kid and game and Gate was going on Comicsgate, we used to get the emotional hit of coming back saying something. But now the barrage of it is so impersonal. And it's also a lot of bots. It's a lot of mechanized bullshit, like you have to essentially learn how to go okay, loser, I got the job. I'm fucking supergirl. Like sadly, you have to do it. You have to have be able to let it water off. A docs back, as we used to say, you got to have your block finger strong, you got to just block them and move on. And I think sadly they have allowed that to become the conversation and it is making and it is like, really sad because also that is a conversation we were having ten years ago that didn't get resolved and it hasn't changed, and I feel like she's still saying the same stuff from ten years ago, and no one around her was like, hey, here's how you approach it in a way that's going to get you who you are as a person.
Speaker 1: It just means not feeding the fire. Here's the comment. Like she's talks about her inability to not engage and in the Variety piece she quoted as saying, quote, it's something I'm trying to get better at. I'm gen z, I grew up online. I'm actively trying not to engage. Although how could you not? You just kind of have to not.
Speaker 2: I know that's the kind of stuff and it's hard, Like you need to have somebody whose job it is to tell her to not engage. You need a.
Speaker 1: Mental health someone needs to run your socials. You don't need to be doing at that level.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, Okay, I just wish, I wish that we were in a better time and space for this movie. I hope it comes out. I hope some cool shit is left in it, and I hope it does well or becomes a cult hit. But sadly, I don't think this is going to be a Captain Marvel for them, though that was not a movie I was particularly fond of, and ironically had a lot of similar issues early on in the press tour until they kind of reframed it. But yeah, like I just I'm really bummed about this one. But I also did try and tell people that the original book had many issues they would have to adapt away from, and I think that is also part of the problem.
Speaker 1: Let's take a quick break and we will do a speed run through the rest of the future of the DCU, and we are back. All right. Let's just quick quick hit some of the upcoming Slate Lanterns coming out August sixteenth. We've talked a lot about it. This looks great. Damon linlf adapting, Tom King, Aaron Pires, John Stewart, Kyle Chandler, is Hal Jordan, murder investigation in the American Heartland. Very excited the pitch is a buddy cop superhero show. Great love it. I think we're both very excited. Any other thoughts since the last time we talked about.
Speaker 2: It, Ben, it looks great. I'm really excited see how they bring in John Stewart's history as a lantern. I want to see it. Is it gonna be good? Is it gonna be bad? I don't know, but I'm excited to see where it goes. Also interesting because it was not one of the shows I thought would get made. They've been trying to make a green Land and show at Warner Brothers since the CW. I did not think this would be one that got made. The stuff that actually has got made and hasn't got made is very interesting.
Speaker 1: Let me ask you this, HM quickly. If Gun Saffron are more successful on TV than they are in the movies, consistently successful, well, will Warner Brothers view that as a positive, as a success or not.
Speaker 2: I think Warner Brothers will view it as leverage to offer them a different kind of deal. Hey, do you guys want to be in charge of our HBO superhero slate? You'll get an equivalent amount of money. It won't look like we're firing you, but also you are not in charge of movies, and I wonder if they're gonna let I don't know if this whole shared universe thing is going to keep continuing, because I do think every studio has struggled with it since Marvel. But I think that if they can bring ad revenue and subscribers, which I know has happened with previous James Gun stuff on TV, I do think an Emmy's like with the Penguin and stuff, I do think there's a potential for them there where it will be seen overall as a net positive. Even if the movies don't continue past what we already have, I think past Man of Tomorrow, everything's a question.
Speaker 1: I agree, Clayface.
Speaker 2: I want to see it.
Speaker 1: Very excited by the trailer forty million budget, forty million dollar budget, which is cheap for DC. Directed by James Watkins of Speak No Evil. It really feels like they're going for that kind of gritty horror type of the training, low budget type of movie that is, you know, very honestly one of the mainstays of the current box office reality. I'm I think I have nothing but excitement for this.
Speaker 2: Me too. The first poster they released, I thought I looked a bit CW, a little bit chintzy, but then that terrifying image that they chose to make the cover image and would pop up over social when the trailer came out and it was the bandaged face of Clayface was so haunting that I clicked on the trailer and was actually really surprised and personally, me and you have been asking for more movies like this where they just give them a more moderate budget and let them do something that they just try and throw at the wall and see if it sticks. And that's what DC used to do well. Moderate budget not so much, but I love that Sony just did this with Spider No Wirle, we saw something a little different. This looks like a total tone shift. I think this is where James Gun's Gun of Us has always been the best creature, Commando's Peacemaker, the weird shit. So I think Clayface is going to fit into that.
Speaker 1: Man of Tomorrow. July ninth, twenty twenty seven, James Gunn returns Rainy production.
Speaker 2: It looks like we've seen some.
Speaker 1: Pictures he's quoted as saying as much a lex movie as a Superman movie confirmed that a Rainiac played by Lars Eldinger is going to be in this, Rick Flagg Senior, Frank Grillo because graduating to the big time, and of course Corn Sweat, Nicholas Holt, Rachel Brosnahan returning, Millie Alcock as Supergirl will be in this. It appears filming is underway as of April twenty twenty six in Atlanta. So thoughts about this.
Speaker 2: Aaron Pier also going to be in it. I would love to see it. Thoughts about this? I thought so that was a good movie, but it is not. It does not inspire with me the same fuel and fire and passion of talking about say The Batman. I worry this will have a similar issue for me, where I'll enjoy it and be happy it exists, but doesn't hit in a masterpiece way. Though I will say we were right we called this that it was going to be a Lex and Superman having to team up kind of movie. I think we'll see Lex in the Power Suit. I loved Holt as Lex. I also think they have fun chemistry as a trio. If they want to also bring some Lowis into this, like is she interested in Lex's insane intelligence? Even though he's, you know, a dangerous man. Can they really trust lex? I do think one of James Gunn's issues with the first Superman movie a little bit too ambitious, too many characters. I worry it's gonna have the same issue. But I do think it's gonna be interesting, and who knows, maybe it will be a great sendoff for the gun of verse by that point, and if not, maybe it will be. If Supergirl pops and Lantern's pops. Maybe it's actually gonna be kind of the Phase two where it really pops off and could be the I think if if it goes badly, that will be the end. If it goes well, that's gonna be the launch pad for the next phase basically. But it feels fifty to fifty.
Speaker 1: Finally, I think we need to just I think we need to talk about the Paramount Skydance side of this Paramount skuyd Dance. I went by the Ellisons. David Ellison and his very rich father won the Warner Brothers bidding war Right eleven billion plus a bid deal close late twenty twenty six. Ellison says that he wants to keep creative teams. He didn't mention Gun and Saffaran a DC specifically, but we assume that that means them that you would include them in that. Puck has reported that Paramount may already be eyeing its own projects on top of what were slated by Warner Brothers in DC, which suggests that they may rest some control from the DCEU. And to our point, to our the point of our previous conversation about whether success on TV would equal success, I think that for Ellison, no, I think Ellison wants more movies. And what does that mean for James Gun. I think reading the tea leaves here mm hmm. Gun and Saffaran need hits.
Speaker 2: I'm saying they need big hits because also, I mean they need they need big hits. The Allison's aren't a medium thriller, like mid budget kind of hit family. They're a make us a billion dollars or will fire you family. Also, if we look at the history of Paramount, CBS, CBS all Access, you know, all the different stuff that they've done in that space. They have been desperate to expand out any popular ip they've had for their streaming services. So I do think the ability to have DC is huge. I also, I mean there was reports that came out a couple of months ago that David Ellison went and had a meeting at Warner Brothers, but it went so badly that all the execs like freaked out and it just was not a good fit. And I think that is the big question going forwards is can a corporate exec like David Ellison insinuate himself into a Hollywood studio like Warner Brothers that also encompasses things like comic book publishing and book publishing and you know, video games and all the shit. Or are they just gonna basically get swallowed up by the paramount machine and that legacy doesn't matter. That's what I think the issue is is like at some point now Allison's if the deal goes through, they're just gonna say do it our way. Right now, they have to play nice because the deal hasn't gone through. But I think we'll really see when the deal goes through what they want to do.
Speaker 1: I agree, And I think that to add on, there's been some reporting then in that first big Ellison meeting with the DC heads that that gun was not there. It's only Saffron. So you know, if that's the key, you know, there may be scheduling things.
Speaker 2: There may be and obviously Saffron is meant to be the business side.
Speaker 1: But still, yes, that said, I don't know that that's like a one hundred great harbinger for the future. And I think when you add to the fact that Ellison has said that he wants to put out like thirty films a year with obviously that's not all DC, but DC would be a huge cog of that. I think when you add that all with Superman that we loved. We loved it so much and the reviews were so good that I think we paper over that it didn't make that much money.
Speaker 2: And also it was just like we were so happy to have a little hopeful movie. Yeah, but it's not necessarily standing. I think even the cult like, even though I think it had a lot of interesting political things to say, James Gunn does not like to make concrete statements outside of the movie. He lets them speak for himself. I think that can sometimes dull a conversation or the impact. I would also say another we were right, guys, and this is why you know. I think you listened to Extra Vision, but when they announced this slate, please go back and listen to me and Jason tell you that like ninety percent of this shit was not gonna fucking get made. Like they announced this ten year slate and we knew Booster Gold was probably not gonna get made, though I've heard some very interesting rumors about who they were trying to cast for Booster Gold. Fingers crossed that still happens, Waller, that was supposed to be a TV show, We still haven't seen that. Paradise Lost still haven't seen that we had. There was gonna be a Blue Beetle animated series, a Teen Titans film, a Bane and Death Stroke film. There was gonna be the Jimmy Olsen spinoff series. We also had swamp thing that obviously I wanted to see, which was the James Mangold kind of dark southern one. We know that Tom King has allegedly been working on a Mister Miracle animated series, but I did see him give a very vague comment about that recently that made it sound like maybe that wasn't happening anymore. There was going to be a Wonder Woman movie like all of this stuff. Paradise Lost I heard, is still in production, which was meant to be their game of Thrones esque Thermoscaren thing. But so much of this stuff, guys, has not even kind of emerged. I think that's a problem because I think if they'd have been able to get more stuff into pre production, into production, names attached, get the excitement, that might have been able to keep the motion going to get some more of this stuff made. I wouldn't be surprise if the Ellisons are like, well, we could just bring in a bunch of people to make a bunch of cheap TV shows. You know. They, as Ian pointed out, they fumbled the streaming rights to Yellowstone when they gave them to Peacock, and they've kind of always been trying to make up for it. I feel like dc is just too much of an ip mind for them to not try and explode out of this really controlled vision of the DCU.
Speaker 1: One more thought experiment. So I think that h with all that we've laid out, I think Supergirl is a pivotal movie for Gun and Sea agree. I think if it's if it comes out soft, that's a disaster, not just from a wasted opportunity standpoint, but for the administration of Gun and Saffron. I think that could be not the end of them, but a significant hobbling of their vision. If you combine a soft opening of Super Supergirl with Batman two.
Speaker 2: Being huge, That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: I then wonder what happens to gun Saffarn going for.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because also as Ian, I just want to shout out as well did like absolutely stunning job on getting us just like a ton of facts and dates and stuff. He pointed out something that I didn't even find out, which is they And I think this is if I was James Gunn and Peter Saffred, I would never have signed this extension. I think get bodes that you are getting fired. I think it's very stressed. They extended them from November twenty twenty six, which is when it was meant to end the two year deal, to Spring twenty twenty seven.
Speaker 3: That's like a six month extension that basically is saying like that's like, does Supergirl make money?
Speaker 2: That's basically what's that's asking. And maybe the extension is does Supergirl make money for us when it goes on HBO Max at the end of the year, Because to me, that says, well, our extension is before or Batman comes out. So if the Batman too is ride and high. If I was Matt Reeves, I'm pushing to get a Batman two trailer played at San Diego Comic Con this year, like no question, even just a teaser.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: If that motion overtakes Superman all this other stuff, then I think in spring you're having a tough conversation. Now. Obviously, James Gun's fine that. I'm sure Marvel would be happy to invite him back, like they were happy to invite back the Russo's also Peter Saffran, a legendary producer. I'm sure he's still gonna be on there. These guys are rich, beyond the wildest dreams. They're gonna be fine. I think that it was an interesting thing to try, but so far I do not think the experiment is is proven to be successful.
Speaker 1: I agree, and I have one more. I have a prediction.
Speaker 2: Okay, I love it.
Speaker 1: I think this is what David Ellison will do and what he wants to do. I think he looks at this is a guy who loves big at movies, big director, big star, big box office. I think he looks at the Nolan Batman's and he says, there, I want Quentin Tarantino, you're doing a Green Lantern movie. I want Christopher Nolan back in the fold. You know who?
Speaker 2: How much do I want st Yes?
Speaker 1: I want Steven Spielberg doing a Justice League movie. This is how this guy will think, yes, and I think that is the way he's gonna go. I think that's what he's gonna do. Scott, you know, doing Hawkman exactly, and it's gonna be really racist because he hates hates people called Mohammad no I.
Speaker 2: I think you're one hundred percent right. I think post Disclosure Day, which you are going to be talking about a lot, the screenings have just started to come out. People saw the premiere Social Embargo is allowed. It's getting pure five stars. I think that's your most legit and out there but could come true prediction. I think if Disclosure makes five hundred mill or more, Ellison is going for Spielbug to do uh Spielbug's Superman. I mean it's meant to be like it's it's it's simple, it's ambling, it's everything. I think you're right, he's gonna go for those big bucks guys. How much money do you have to get Christopher Nolan to come back and do.
Speaker 3: A full faint. I don't fucking want it. I don't think it's that much.
Speaker 1: I don't think there's a number. Actually, I think that Christopher Nolan would not come I think that I would unless the Ellison's buy all the other studios. Like I was gonna say, I don't know that Nolan would willingly come back. Okay, well, DC, we are are, We're hopefully things. We're rooting for you. This is I think we both agree, as you put it, an ip mind that has not been successfully or efficiently mined in the past, and we hope that can change because there's so many great stories and great characters and great things here. Mm hmm, and we're rooting for you. On the next episode of Extra Vision, we're diving into Disclosure Day and news. That's it for this episode. Next for listening. X ray Vision is hosted by Jason steps Young and Rosie Night and is a production of iHeart Podcasts.
Speaker 2: Our executive producers are Joel Monique and Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 1: Our supervising producer is Abu Zafar.
Speaker 2: Our producers are Common Laurent Dean Jonathan, and Bay wag.
Speaker 1: Our theme song is by Brian Vasquez with alternate theme songs by Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 2: Special thanks to Soul Rubin, Chris Lord, Kenny Goodman, and Heidi our discord moderator,