Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys. This is nick shot, streaming live on dallascowboys dot Com and the official Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 1: Apt Now Here are Bill Jones, Everson Walls, and Nicky Spagnola.
Speaker 3: And our pregame coverage of the Jerry Jones pre Draft press conference continues here inside the SWBC podcast studio as we count down the days to the start of the NFL Draft on Thursday, now three days away. Bill Jones with Mickey Spagnola. Everson Walls decided that he's gonna let us handle the draft talk and he'll be back to recap the draft next Monday at eleven am.
Speaker 4: But here we are.
Speaker 2: It's finals draft day finally, right, been talking about this. It seems like for three months, that's right.
Speaker 3: And I've gotten my big green notebook. It's in the last month where I've been filling this thing up. Look at their you know what way I look at it. Every year, it's like I'm back in college. I spend the spring semester filling up in the back in the day. I guess they use Google doc or whatever they use now on their laptops, these young college kids today.
Speaker 4: But I decide, okay, I'm going old school.
Speaker 3: About twelve fourteen years ago, I decided to go old school.
Speaker 4: With my draft preps, with the big green notebook.
Speaker 2: So I think what we should do today is turn the tables. I'll ask the questions you answered.
Speaker 4: I'm ready.
Speaker 3: I mean, I woke up this morning thinking I could talk for days about this draft. Now, Ivey, there are all these prospects that I'm discovering. I mean, there's so much talk about the top of the draft, and you know, mainstream media and elsewhere where what's going to happen at the top of the draft. Once you really dig into it, it is really interesting to see the intriguing prospects that are later in the draft. Right it's where the Cowboys pick at twenty six or in the second, third, fourth, even fifth round. I mean, is it's That's why I love this is why I every spring dig into it to learn all these players that are coming into the league and trying to figure out, like all these teams are trying to figure out which guys are gonna make it, because it's not all about their forty times or even their college production. Is not all about that either. There's so much more that goes into it, and so I just love digging into it.
Speaker 2: Did you discover any draft eligible players actually still playing in the XFL?
Speaker 3: There is at least one that I yeah, there may be more. I haven't I haven't moved to the XFL yet, but I did see something about there's one who is draft eligible who's trying to increase his stock, right, I think, And there's maybe more than one. I don't know, right, but I haven't got to that point yet.
Speaker 2: Which, by the way, I learned a very interesting little fact about the XFL.
Speaker 3: What's that?
Speaker 2: So you know they're all based here, that's right, Yeah, but they play in their respective cities. Respective cities, both teams ride the same charter flight.
Speaker 4: That's understandable.
Speaker 2: The home team gets to sit in the front of the plane, the visitors sit in the back, and after the game, both teams are on the same playing going home.
Speaker 3: Okay, and I'm not sure I haven't worked to confirm this or not, but yesterday we had a matchup of the Arlington Renegadees of coached by Bob Stoops against Wade Phillips Houston Roughnecks as it turned out it was a meaningless game because Wade has won another division championship as the head coach of the Roughnecks and he his team will play Stoops team, the Renegade in the first round of the playoffs on Saturday night. But when they met earlier this season, the announcer said something. Actually in their postgame handshake, Stoops and Philip said to each other, see you back at the house. Yeah, have they been living now? I don't know roommates live out the spring, but they might have a complex where they put all these guys, right, I would imagine, so, yeah, and maybe the coach I thought, I thought I heard see that they were like roommates. I was gonna say, I wonder if they sit at the front of the plane together, you know. Uh, Which, it's got to be a weird atmosphere after you play somebody and then it's like, okay, let's go board. And by the way, I understand that hey is in the barn for any football game by the day before the game or the two days before the game.
Speaker 4: But Stoops was.
Speaker 3: In Norman, Oklahoma on Friday and Saturday for their.
Speaker 4: Spring game and stuff.
Speaker 3: Anyway, Yeah, so that was just an aside, But I thought that was it sting and there's a Cowboys connection because Wade Phillips can put that.
Speaker 4: On his resume as well.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, Now he's a couple of wins away from winning a championship in the XFL.
Speaker 2: Okay, So who are the Cowboys drafting? How many times have you been asked that question?
Speaker 3: Several times? And who knows who the Cowboys are drafting?
Speaker 2: So good?
Speaker 3: You know it is a and the reason is and in fact, I heard Charlie White's talking about it on my drive in on NFL Radio that he cannot remember a draft where it was so uncertain in the first round what teams are going to.
Speaker 2: Do compared to this one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this one.
Speaker 3: This is the most uncertain draft he has ever heard of or seen in the first round, because I mean, you think about it. At the top of the first round, it now appears that the Alabama quarterback Bryce Young is going to Carolina. There's been so much talk about CJ. Stroud is stock dropping and so forth, and is Houston now out on tape in a quarterback? And will they take Will Richardson from Alabama or will they Now the talk is Tyree Wilson from Texas Tech or do they trade out? And so we don't Houston controls the draft right now, if you're gonna believe that Bryce Young is going to Carolina and so it all and then it just trickles down depending on what Houston does. Then we don't know what Arizona's gonna do on down the Indianapolis at four? Are they going to take a quarter what's Seattle? They may take a cause if Stroud falls whatever, you know, and so you really don't know from there. And then as he gets related to the Cowboys, what's gonna happen with b John Robinson?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: And if some of these guys trickle down, I mean there's been talk about Philadelphia might even be interested in Bjehon Robinson at number ten. But what if those deep one of those defensive players moves down to number ten and they want to take somebody, you know, like the Georgia like Carter, the Georgia defensive tackle, who may be the best player in the entire draft.
Speaker 2: So do you think from a talent standpoint, stand out great players coming out in this draft that there's fewer than we're used to seeing of the After you get past the quarterbacks, I mean, who's the greatest defense.
Speaker 3: I mean, and even with the quarterbacks, there's nothing in the quarterbacks. It says that who knows what's going to how Bryce Young is going to do at this size in this league. I yeah, I think it's it's it's a handful of guys that, like you think back to the Tyron Smith draft where Tyron went tenth and.
Speaker 4: JJ Watt was.
Speaker 3: I mean, we're talking we're ten to eleven picks in the draft and you've got Hall of famers being drafted, right, And I don't know that this draft has that. I mean, we'll see, but I mean there are certain drafts where you could you know, there were you know, eight to ten players that Okay, these are your top ten picks in this draft, and who knows. I mean there could be a guy who's who some think is going fifth, who may wind up going fifteenth or eighteenth, and it has nothing to do with any off the field stuff. It's just how they've been evaluated.
Speaker 2: By So thus the uncertainty exactly.
Speaker 3: That's right wide receiver, I mean it's at the top. I think there are some good wide receivers from late first through the fourth round, fifth round, even I like a lot of the wide receivers in that third and fourth round range, but there's not the Calvin Johnson types. There's not you know, who knows if Jackson Smith and Jigba is going to wind up being like a CD Lamb in his career.
Speaker 4: You know, he may be the.
Speaker 3: Top guy, but some have Jordan Addison from USC being the top guy. There's the TCU big wide receiver, Quinton Johnson's. There's not very many big wide receivers in this draft either, and so if you want to get one of those who like a Quentin Johnston, then maybe you have to take him in the first round because there's nothing late so.
Speaker 2: From a size standpoint, because I saw one analysis going on and it said that if you're torn between cornerbacks and wide receivers, you better take the cornerback in the first round because there's more wide receivers, second third, more quality depth.
Speaker 3: There's good there's quality, I think quality cornerbacks in the early rounds.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and so that that that were saying, you know, if you like that cornerback, you better grab them.
Speaker 3: And it's and it's the cornerbacks that have the size that teams are looking for now. Right, dan Quinn is looking for now.
Speaker 2: Exactly you know, So don't don't sell the Cowboys short on that possible, now, that's right? Yeah, or any actually any because my answer has been universal when somebody asked me that, I said, you, you give me a position short of quarterback and the first round, and I'll give you a reason why the Cowboys should take that position.
Speaker 3: All right, let's run through it right now, okay, short, and you can make the case for quarterback on the third day, right, okay, absolutely, all right, running back. Here's a situation at running back. And by the way, what two people are looking at what the Cowboys do in this draft more so than Ezekiel Elliott and Tony Pollard? Yeah, both of them?
Speaker 2: Actually, oh yeah, because Pollard knows he's out a one year guaranteed deal and nothing's promised for twenty twenty four.
Speaker 3: And how does that affect him going forward if the Cowboys pick a running back in the.
Speaker 2: First right, is he still in the same role right as the contract?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah, is pending contract? Yeah, and for obvious reason, Zeke as well. So there you've got running back. Pollard's in his franchise, in his contract year. Zeke obviously out there's obviously an opening at the end right there.
Speaker 4: Wide receiver.
Speaker 3: Sure, you know they picked up the fifth year option on CD LAMB. That rossed the news from the last few days, and that was as.
Speaker 2: Expected, seventeen point nine million guaranteed for his fifth year.
Speaker 3: So they have him under contract through twenty four.
Speaker 2: And then they restructured Brandon Cook's contract, so he's got two years remaining.
Speaker 3: And he is.
Speaker 4: Well where is he at?
Speaker 3: His age? Written down here somewhere and I don't have it anymore.
Speaker 2: Well, but I think it's thirty yep. And then they're banking on Michael Gallup coming back playing I mean not coming back, but playing to the level he played before he tore his ACL and after that, well it's question marks. You know they're going to give Jayalen Tolbert a chance, but you know, another wide receiver I could follow down that, no doubt.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and as early as the first and that's obviously tight end tight end Okay, But.
Speaker 2: The thing I think you need to remember about tight end is they don't need some fancy speed guy that goes downfield. They need a complete tight end, somebody that can block, because in my books, that's where they fell short. I think Jake Ferguson has potential to be that complete tight end. But if the guy can block, I would put that above his ability to go vertical.
Speaker 4: I agree with that.
Speaker 3: Okay, offensive line.
Speaker 2: It's a tackle that can play guard, but you're going to do that two years in a row, that's the question.
Speaker 4: And what the Cowboys have right now.
Speaker 3: They have a tackle who can play guard in Tyler Smith, right, they drafted the first round.
Speaker 2: But let me stop you right there, because if you listen to Steven Jones this past week, he was pretty adamant that Tyler Smith, it's our left tackle.
Speaker 3: He is the left tackle, all right, So then you have Tyron Smith while Terrence Steele comes back from his ACL injury, Tyron Smith is your starting right.
Speaker 2: Tackle if Terrence isn't ready.
Speaker 3: Okay, I think.
Speaker 4: So those are your three top tackles.
Speaker 2: Right and then.
Speaker 4: And opening at the inn at left guard.
Speaker 2: So they're gonna look at Josh Ball there, They're gonna look at Farniac there, and then they can look in the draft. But again, you don't need to draft in the first round a guard, right You can get one in the second or third round somewhere. In there that might be good enough to walk in and start.
Speaker 3: By the way, what's Tyler Battish's contract status.
Speaker 2: He's in going into the final year of his rookie.
Speaker 4: Final year of his contract.
Speaker 2: So if a guard can play center or a center can play guard.
Speaker 4: And Zach Martin Is will be thirty three in.
Speaker 2: November, Yeah, that's all right, he's got three years left.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But at the same point, we're not drafting just for this year, right, drafting for the next five years.
Speaker 4: If you're a first.
Speaker 3: Rounder in the next four years beyond the first round.
Speaker 2: See, my thought was, if Tyron Smith was judged, you know, good enough to play left tackle, then they could move Tyler Smith inside. But I think Stephen Jones point was, he said, the overwhelming feeling is is Tyler Smith is a left tackle well.
Speaker 3: And the other part of that is Tyron has not been able to play a full season right because of injuries here in recent years.
Speaker 2: I mean it was in that he's played eleven or fourteen games over the last fifty games that he could have played. So you know, they can say, okay, he's fine, you know, he's back in shape and whatever, but again, how well did he play when he was starting. Now if Terrence and everything I've heard is Terrence Steele, they feel like has a good chance of being ready to start the season. But I bet when they get the training camp, he's going to be a pup guy, right. They're not going to rush him in, and so you got to see there, and if he's not ready, then Tyron's your right tackle, and you would hope. I think he was okay at right tackle. But we talked about it last week how the running game went downhill those last four regular season games when Terrence Steele wasn't in the lineup all right.
Speaker 3: On defense, defensive line, how much of a need is there both at interior and on the outside.
Speaker 2: I would say interior. I mean, they re signed Jonathan Hankins, but it's a one year deal at the veteran exception, so it's not like they're financially obligated to him. I think you've got Osa Odiggiezua.
Speaker 4: He's got two years left.
Speaker 2: And after that, you know, Quinton Bohanna was just kind of a guy, and Neville Gallimore is entering his last year under contract.
Speaker 3: But I think you can also make a case at defensive end as well, because DeMarcus Lawrence. He's over thirty now, right, kay, and Dorrin's Armstrong's going into his contract year correct, second year of a two year deal for him.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 3: Sam Williams is going into his second year, and they expect Sam Williams to make the progress from year one to year two to get more snaps. I would imagine this year Dante Fowler is on a one year, three million dollar deal exactly and in fact, by the way, much guaranteed money there either.
Speaker 2: And by the way, they move Chauncey Go from n to tackle, so there's another spot that's kind of on the edge defensive end, so an edge rusher, and Canley is another one signed late in the year and they've signed another one year year.
Speaker 3: That's right. There is definitely an opening at the end, uh everywhere on the defensive line. Linebacker obviously they re sign Lton vander Ash. I don't even count Micah because Micah is both a linebacker and an edge Rusher's in both categories there. Anthony Barr is out there in free agency, and uh Luke Gifford signed with Tennessee.
Speaker 2: So you got Damon Clark and what so linebacker. I think everybody's kind of ignored that position. But if there's a standout guy at twenty six and he's better than these other positions, why not.
Speaker 3: And especially a guy who can be on the field in the Nickel package too.
Speaker 2: Yes, because who knows about Jabril Cox. We just don't have any idea at this point.
Speaker 3: All Right, A big move in the off season is getting Stephan Gilmour at the cornerback spot opposite Trayvon Diggs. But the inventory at cornerback and where the contract status of those players.
Speaker 2: So you've got Diggs contract year, contract year. They obviously Stephen pointed out that they want to re sign him and if they can't, they could franchise him if they need to hold his deal. Gilmore is on a one year deal and he's thirty three years old, by the way. And then Jordan Lewis coming back off his list Frank Surgery. I think he contract year, contract year, and then Doroan Bland they can sync their teeth into him. Who knows what happened with Calvin Joseph right now.
Speaker 4: He's a special teamer.
Speaker 2: Right and Nashan Wright is not to be trusted yet It.
Speaker 3: Looks strong at safety, Yes, However, you've got two of the primary players in their contract year in jay Ron Curse and Malie Cooker. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, And so the draft when you have when you have salary cap, I'm not going to say problems, but you've got to manage it. The way to manage it is to draft well and have young guys moving up into those positions so you don't have to pay a guy a second or by the way, third contract, which is going to cost you some money. So yeah, you know, at some point, I don't know that it's the first round. They haven't had a history of taking safeties in the first round. The last one would have been what Roy Williams right of note.
Speaker 3: So, but you've got five dbs that are in their contract year, Yes, five basically starting dbs and Diggs, Gilmore Lewis as the nickel at a slot corner, and then Curse and Hooker. I look at all three of the safeties as being starters.
Speaker 2: And I think the other thing you have to consider is the position priority. When they look at the draft, they stack the positions like, Okay, this is valuable, this is next valuable, like that. They have never put a high priority on a defensive tackle in the first round Russell Maryland, right, and then I think it was Danny Noonan.
Speaker 3: The high priorities. You look at it, it goes from outside to end. Right, outside players are higher priority than inside players.
Speaker 2: Except except in the secondary cornerback over safety, right, they're way outside.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well no, i'd look at yeah you went to the field, yeah, yeah, and sci corners are more valuable seven.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So defensive ends, you know, deep cornerbacks, then linebacker, then defensive tackle, then safety. That's kind of the way they their history of it. Same thing on offense. Right, you know everybody wants to talk about the running back positions devalued. Well, if you get a good one, and especially at twenty six, and you can sink your teeth into this guy for four years at a very inexpensive price, now right, you're not paying. I think I saw where the gonna the twenty six pick will average three point seven million a year. So what, right, it's almost like a second round pick. Uh. If it's a running back and it's the best one, absolutely right, and then you know we're gonna just push quarterback to the side, then wide receiver, and then it would be probably a left tackle. When I started reading the stuff about tackles. I saw a lot of them were, yeah, they're starting right tackles. Well, if I'm taking a tackle in the first round and I already got one in the first round at left tackle, I'm not drafting a right tackle. Sometimes you gotta just develop guys and fit them in right and that's I guarantee you that's the way they assess it.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 4: All right, we're just getting started on mixed shots.
Speaker 3: We're going to go to about eleven forty five eleven fifty and then it is the pre draft press conference and we're back in a moment.
Speaker 5: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 1: We paid how much for those lessons?
Speaker 5: She's doing great?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, totally.
Speaker 3: Can you pass me a Pepsi zero sugar?
Speaker 6: A great job, honey, Oh oh, look at that.
Speaker 7: That's not the end, No way.
Speaker 5: Now it's time for the encore.
Speaker 6: You know what, You're right? Five times?
Speaker 8: Not enough times for everyone who traded in rock concerts for their kids' recitals. You've compromised enough. Pepsi zero sugar, That's what I like.
Speaker 9: Nobody protects you from Mayhem like all State. You hear that I'm a torrential downpour? Torrential? What's that even mean? It means you can't see out of your windshield, and if you have the wrong car assurance, you might have to make it rain to fix your bumper.
Speaker 2: So switch to all.
Speaker 9: State, save money and be better protected from mayhem like me based.
Speaker 7: On coverage them, It's selected Sandray Deturm's conditions and availability in most states. Prices very based on how you buy.
Speaker 6: All State.
Speaker 7: Burn Cashty Insurance Company and Affiliates, north Brook, Illinois.
Speaker 6: What do you call a group of grown men and women with their faces painted silver and blue who get together every week to share a three hour long ritual of jumping, sinking, and toasting Miller Lite and tim gallon hats while yelling, how about them cowboys? You call it Miller time in Dallas. Here's to the cowboys, Here's to the original light beer. It's Miller time. Celebrate Responsibly. Twenty twenty one. Miller Brewing Company, Fort Orth, Texas.
Speaker 3: De Mixed shots.
Speaker 2: K Post Roofing and water Proofing. You don't want to have to check your roof when there's a problem. You call k Posts Roofing and they will come through and check your roof before you have a disaster. And that's kpostcompany dot com.
Speaker 4: And I wonder what the phone number is.
Speaker 2: The phone number is one four two two five, four eight six.
Speaker 3: Oh, I know.
Speaker 2: That I have your roof checked by choice mixing, not by chance.
Speaker 4: That was a great read.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely done all by memory.
Speaker 4: As if you couldn't.
Speaker 2: Tell us if we have a memory, right, We only it every day of the.
Speaker 3: Week during It was the slowest read ever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it got it got out there though. That was at Everson's pace. Uh, the second one we wouldn't be able to do it.
Speaker 4: But what's the second one?
Speaker 2: Reliant home run derby.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, we can do it by memory. That Michael Parsons had somebody go to the sporting goods store and guy, I'm a bat and he won it one.
Speaker 4: Year, or at least was put on the best show. Yeah, like vander Ashmyo won it absolutely. All right, we're.
Speaker 3: Talking draft and Jerry Jones has his pre draft press conference coming up at the top of the hour at noon. I assume Steven will be there too.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I think it's a fore man. I think it's a foreman.
Speaker 3: Will McClay will be there too, and Mike McCarthy. All right, that's when we find out who the cowboys will pick on Thursday.
Speaker 2: They will just come right out and tell us.
Speaker 3: Uh huh, all.
Speaker 2: Right, all right, so my questions just letting y'all known.
Speaker 3: Ada chair, there's a fifth chair?
Speaker 2: No, because if you look at the feed, uh huh, there's only three chairs right now, so they.
Speaker 4: Need oh, there's only three chairs there.
Speaker 2: Well maybe Mike McCarthy said yeah, And I'm sure Will McClay.
Speaker 3: Well, he's working on Colin plays. He can't write, he can't do the office. That's right, right, So let's see who's all up there. Okay, there three chairs behind the scenes.
Speaker 2: All right, to be determined. So let's open up that big green notebook.
Speaker 3: Okay, what what would you like to know twenty six at twenty six?
Speaker 2: Give me three possibilities?
Speaker 3: Three possibilities at twenty six?
Speaker 2: Yeah, how about realistically they would be there and you wouldn't mind drafting them.
Speaker 4: Okay, I've only got one possibility.
Speaker 3: Okay, it's not either're.
Speaker 4: Going to draft.
Speaker 2: I mean, if Bjeon was there, I think would take them.
Speaker 4: I think so oyes, I.
Speaker 2: Think so answers of that happening.
Speaker 3: I don't think so very Yeah, I don't think so.
Speaker 4: Let's do it by position. So would you?
Speaker 2: And they've only done it, like what a couple of times in their history, taking a tight end in the first round.
Speaker 3: There's one tight end that I like that I would take in the first round. But I don't think they're thinking this way.
Speaker 2: Darnell Washington.
Speaker 4: That's Darnell Washington from Georgia. But I ideally see you don't.
Speaker 3: The trick on it is you don't know how other teams evaluate these players, right, and the if you look at all the mock drafts out there, all the so called draft experts, they've got him ranked as a thirty eight to fortieth best player, which would mean no, you don't take him in the first round. But we don't know that. You know, that's what the as parcels would put it. That cottage industry. The draft experts are saying, this guy's talent, I think, and his potential is tremendous I think for the NFL and by the way, for this team in his rookie season, the way he can.
Speaker 2: Block, So it's almost to me at twenty six worth taking a chance. On the upside, You've got Jake Ferguson, I think, who can be relied on to be.
Speaker 3: Well, let's look at it this way, all right, this is a great year for tight ends, and there are at least three tight ends. There two tight ends that are talked about by many being first round picks, and I will put Darnelle Washington in that mix too, But Michael Mayer from Notre Dame and Dalton kin Kaid right from Utah are two tight ends that have been talked about as late first round selections. And all three of these guys might still be on the board for the Cowboys if they were interested in taking a tight end in the first round. So to your point, what I think the Cowboys did a great job last year in acquiring in the fourth round Jake Ferguson and as a college free agent Peyton Hendershot. Okay, right, so now you're looking that you've lost Dalton Schultz. Now you're looking for a tight end to take that other spot, who I think can basically be a starter in your twelve personnel. It might be your starter in eleven personnel too, depending on how quickly a rookie develops. But I like where Jake Ferguson is coming off. I think he had a really good rookie season and there's no reason to think he's going to take a step back. I think he's going to keep growing from there. So I'm looking for a tight end to pair with those other two. And then you throw in Sean McEwan in the mix too as the fourth tight end.
Speaker 2: So in this analysis of him, Dane Brugler, by the way, he is a one on one talent with fascinating pro potential because of his rare length, play strength, and body flexibility at his size, which is six five two sixty four.
Speaker 3: It's a six six and five eight inches tall sixty six and five eighths two sixty four, and he was two seventy two at his Pro.
Speaker 2: Day and if you believe the pro day size, he's sixty seven.
Speaker 3: Six seven and a half.
Speaker 10: So I don't know if I guess he has zru a little bit right, he had his boots on this, Yeah, but it just seems like if this guy can block the way week we've seen.
Speaker 3: Right, all right, let's just compare, Okay, Dalton Kinkaid Utah wide receiver. We don't have any measurables on him because of an injury. Uh, and so we don't have his forty time, we don't have any of that. We do know he is a really good receiving tight end and I think he is terrific after the catch too, his run after catch. So I don't have any questions about him as a receiving tight end. And he's fine as a blocker. But even going into the last season for Utah, their number one tight end got hurt the third game of the season and Kinkaid was the second tight end at Utah, and then he took advantage of that and had seventy catches for eight hundred and ninety yards and eight touchdowns. There's no knock on him, but that's just sort of what he is. Has received Michael Mayer is a complete tight end quote unquote right. Okay, he's twenty one years old. He's only three years at Notre Dame. A starter for two and a half of those years. Even his freshman year he was He started four games, played in twelve and forty two catches, had seventy one catches his second year, sixty seven catches and nine touchdowns his third year. The difference between Mayor and Darnel Washington. You talk about blocking well, and Mayor is probably a fine as a blocker, right and people have talked about him being really good as the quote unquote best blocking tight end. But I don't know that they're considering what Darnell Washington is as a blocker.
Speaker 2: And you know what, and the concaid guy, he's two forty six, right, he's a move tight end.
Speaker 3: Right well, and Mayor can't wait in at two forty nine. He looks bigger than that.
Speaker 2: Now, what about this guy? This one caught my eye.
Speaker 3: Luke Muskrave, Okay, let me let me first before you get to musk Grave. Here's Mayor thirty one and a half inch arms, Washington thirty four and a half inch arms.
Speaker 4: He's got an eighty.
Speaker 3: Three and a half nearly eighty four inch wingspan. Washington does the measurables. Mayor ran a four to seven forty with a thirty two and a half vertical and nine to ten broad jump four four four shuttle and a seven to two six three cone. Just to give it comparison, Hindershot had a six ninety one three cone, and keep in mind Mayor of seven to twenty six and he had a Hendershot was four to twenty five on his shuttle, while Ferguson was a seven to three cone drill. I mean Ferguson ran a four to eight though right so Darnelle Washington had a four to oh eight shuttle time the five to ten to five shuttle. I mean that at that kind of size, I mean, now here there's some athleticism.
Speaker 2: Here might be the difference maker, and none of these things usually have that in there. When they asked on Friday Dak Prescott about what he likes in a tight end, he said, first and foremost, he has to be smart. He almost has to be smart as a orderback uh to be productive in our offense at tight end.
Speaker 3: Funny you mentioned that as on my drive in I was thinking about the tight ends, and it seems like across the board, all these tight ends seem to be really sharp.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's what you mean.
Speaker 3: And so it goes back to college where guys become tight ends and they had in order to be a success even at college as a tight end. And it's interesting also to see how the tight end has come back into the college game. There was a time eight to ten years ago that you couldn't find any tight ends because they were all either moving to the defensive side of the ball or whatever. Yeah, all right, Uh so they've used they're using the tight end more in the college game.
Speaker 4: To that end.
Speaker 3: Listen to Luke Musgrave talk and you think you're you're listening to Darryl Johnston. I mean, you talk about a sharp mind. Musgrave who is the nephew of Bill Musgrave, who was a Cowboys four round draft pick thirty years ago and has been a long time offensive coordinator both in the NFL and in college. He's an intriguing prospect. He only played two games, had a knee injury his last year at Oregon State. But here's another guy with some length at six five and seven eight inch tall and two hundred and fifty one pounds, ran a four to six, and he is athletic with a thirty six vertical and a ten to five broad jump.
Speaker 2: I like this fact about him. He started skiing at age five, so he's an.
Speaker 4: Athlete accomplished skier.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, Well it helps when your mother was on the US developmental ski team in nineteen eighties.
Speaker 3: Right, So, But anyway, but then there are other tight ends like Tucker Kraft from South Dakota State, which produced Dallas Goddard. Here's another. He's sixty five, two hundred and fifty four pounds. He had sixty five catches in fifteen games played for South Dakota State.
Speaker 4: His junior year. There was an All American.
Speaker 3: There's a There's a whole bunch of tight ends that are intriguing. But I like Darnel Washington the best out of him, and a lot of it is because of his upside.
Speaker 2: And so if he develops in a year or so and he's that all purpose tight end, but he can come in and be a blocker in your two tight end sets and you've got hinder shot to stretch the field. I think it's as a threesome that's pretty strong, right, but I don't. I don't need another guy that's just gonna catch a bunch of passes.
Speaker 3: Right, there's not And with Mayor, there doesn't appear to be a lot of run after catch ability there right as there would be like a Dalton Kincaid and Darnell Washington for that matter.
Speaker 2: And let me point this out about when people say the Cowboys lost Dalton Schultz in free agency, either they chose chose to lose him or he chose to not take a pay cut here with the Cowboys because he didn't get paid what he thought he was worth going to the Texans. And I think he might have over stated his value to the Cowboys and they were like, no, that's too much.
Speaker 3: Probably fell victim to this strong draft class as well. And Mike Kasicki the same thing happened to him, right when you look at the lay of the land this offseason.
Speaker 2: Because when I see a guy leave and all he signs is a one year deal, you didn't lose him. You know, you chose either not to pay him what he was asking for or he chose to go somewhere else.
Speaker 3: Yeap other positions that.
Speaker 2: You know, wide receiver.
Speaker 3: We mentioned it wide receivers. I like Zay Flowers a lot from Boston College. Of course, I love Jackson Smith and Jig, but I don't think he's going to.
Speaker 2: Be that's not going to have He's not about the guy from.
Speaker 3: TCU, Quentin Johnston. He I like him, he and just like the size. Yeah, he's a nearly six three, two hundred and eight pounds with a forty and a half vertical and eleven two broad jump, sixty catches his last year at TCU for over one thousand yards six touchdowns. Uh and at his size he is. He's a guy that stretches the field too.
Speaker 4: He was.
Speaker 3: He was Mike Evans for Max dug And he was like Mike. He was Mike Evans for Max dugg and like Mike Evans was for Johnny Manzil at Texas A and m all right, we're back with more in a moment. We paid how much.
Speaker 6: For those lessons?
Speaker 3: She's doing great?
Speaker 9: Oh yeah, totally.
Speaker 2: Can you pass me a pepsi zero sugar?
Speaker 3: Great job, honey, Oh look at that.
Speaker 2: That's not the end, no way.
Speaker 1: Now it's time for the encore.
Speaker 6: You know what, You're right?
Speaker 8: Five times not enough times for everyone who traded in rock concerts for their kids' recitals. You've compromised enough PEPSI zero sugar. That's what I like.
Speaker 9: Nobody protects you from Mayhem like All State. You hear that I'm a torrential downpour? Torrential?
Speaker 3: What's that even mean?
Speaker 9: It means you can't see out of your windshield and if you have the wrong car insurance, you might have to make it rain to fix your bumper.
Speaker 2: So switch to all.
Speaker 9: State, save money and be better protected from Mayhem like me.
Speaker 7: Based on coverage in them, it's selected sender to terms, conditions and availability in most states. Prices very based on how you buying. All State barn Cashty Insurance Company and Affliates north Brooklinois. The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies.
Speaker 5: And inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 4: The season is finally here.
Speaker 1: For months, we've been gearing up to win. Now it's time for the team that performs on any field. United Agon Turf with John Deere zero turns for mowing, compact tractors for loading, many excavators for digging, Gator utility vehicles for hauling, implements for grading, a tools for bailing, United Agon Turf for winning. The official Lagonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United Agonturf dot com for more.
Speaker 3: To mixed shots.
Speaker 2: The tenth annual Reliant Home Run Derby is back at Ryder's Field in Frisco on May third at six p m. Next week, isn't it Come see your favorite Dallas Cowboy players swing for the fences to raise money for the Salvation Army admission in parking our free Visit Dallascowboys dot com slash Reliant h r D to learn more and see you there because I will be there, all right.
Speaker 4: That is more than enough reason to be there.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 3: We've got a few more minutes here, but I mentioned Zay Flowers as a potential first rounder. I really like him out of Boston College. You don't like this part about him? Five Mickey does it like short players.
Speaker 2: Because he's he's probably an outside guy, I mean slot guy, but doesn't Brandon Cooks can do both right, he can play outside. And although it's not all about this year, as we.
Speaker 4: How many brothers and say, does Michael Irvin.
Speaker 2: Have I think it was like sixteen or seventeen.
Speaker 3: O Kayse Flowers has thirteen. So that's one of the reasons I like him. Michael turned out pretty well as a first round pick.
Speaker 2: Because you've got to be good to feed the rest.
Speaker 3: Of that family. There are several mid round wide receivers I like, including Jayden Reid from Michigan State, who would be like a at number ninety. Third round, you got Marvin Mimes from Oklahomas who is He would be more in the range of the second round pick at fifty eight probably and he could fall the into the third round. And after that, there's a guy from Stanford, Michael Wilson who is.
Speaker 2: I saw him that interested me.
Speaker 4: Michael Wilson.
Speaker 3: He was he was the best receiver at the Senior Bowl. He had injury issues at Stanford, but you talk about a guy. He's got not only his undergraduate degree at Stanford, also his Masters in communit vaccasions. He reminds me, you know who, he reminds me of, Miles Austin. He In fact, I did a comparison him and Miles when he came out six two hundred and fifteen pounds, Michael Wilson is six to two hundred thirteen pounds. Miles ran a four to five to one. Michael Wilson ran a four to five. Miles had twenty one bench reps. Michael Wilson twenty three bench reps. Miles had a forty inch vertical. This guy had a thirty eight inch vertical. Broad jump ten three for Austin, ten five for Wilson. It's almost identical across the board. I really like this Michael Wilson. Again, the only knock on him was the injuries that he suffered in college. He played six games as last year at Stanford, and anyway, he is the right kind of guy that you're looking for to add to your football team, and he has a lot of athleticism.
Speaker 2: So if you take a wide receiver, you have to judge that guy being better than Jalen Tolbert and Simmi Fijoko. Same thing with a running back mid rounds, they better be better than the leak Davis or ric o'dowdell.
Speaker 3: But Michael Wilson is a guy. If he's there in the fourth round, I'm really considering him, And due to his injuries, he may still be there.
Speaker 4: In the fifth rod.
Speaker 2: So when Cedric Wilson gets cut by the Dolphins, would you be interested in bringing him back?
Speaker 3: What's the salary if they cut him?
Speaker 2: Is no salary?
Speaker 3: I tried, and so you're talking about basically the veteran minimum.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's got to read because they, you know, basically signed him to a big deal and now they're sitting there and brought in all these wide receivers and he ended up being fourth on a big contract.
Speaker 3: Okay, I got to talk you to yes, Yes, Chris Bey.
Speaker 2: The one thing I don't like about Wilson he has more drops in his college career than he does touchdown passes.
Speaker 3: Well, and you didn't like that about the Green Bay guy from North Dakota State last year too?
Speaker 2: What about the offensive guard from North Dakota State with all the PARTI got more hair than teeth?
Speaker 3: Yeah, how many touchdown catches did that North Dakota State receiver have against the Cowboys. I think that was the one that had all the drops in a career game. Yeah, all right, defense, here go ahead.
Speaker 4: Here's my guy in the second round. Getting started on this guy?
Speaker 3: Which guy Wilson? Oh Zach Harrison, Ohio State fast rusher on the edge. He was the number one recruit in the nation coming out of high school, and Ohio State fans say, oh I didn't live up.
Speaker 2: To Is that the guy I saw on the Blitz last night?
Speaker 6: Yes?
Speaker 3: Yes, I love him. He is.
Speaker 4: Get this.
Speaker 3: He is six five and a half two hundred and sixty nine pounds, thirty six and a quarter inch arms and an eighty five and a half inch wingspan with ten inch hands. He is only twenty one years old, turns twenty two in August. For the now, the knock on him is he didn't have the sack production, but in four years at Ohio State had thirteen sacks, He had five force fumbles and eleven passes defens Okay, let me compare him with Tyree Wilson, who might be the second pick in the draft of the Houston Texans at six five and a half two hundred and seventy one pounds. His arm's on just a slightly shorter at thirty five and five eights eighty four and a half inch wingspan very similar. He started his career at Texas A and m couldn't get on the field there, transfers to Texas Tech and has now become the talk of the draft that he's going to. And he had seven sacks for Texas Tech last year. But when I look at these two players, and he's coming off foot surgery where he had a screw inserted in his foot, which has not hurt his draft stock at all apparently. But I look at these two players and I can't tell the difference. And Zach Harrison's being talked about as a third round pick and Tyree Wilson is being talked about as the second or third pick in the draft.
Speaker 2: You got a crazy quarterback you like, and by the way, Zach Harrison.
Speaker 3: Zach Harrison also when he was in high school, he ran a four four seven forty. Now that was when he was a six five, two hundred and thirty five pound wide receiver, and he ran a ten seven hundred meters and a twenty one to five to two hundred meters. Okay, do you have any's strong as an ox?
Speaker 2: Do you have Caleb Murphy on your list? Caleb Murphy, he was the winner.
Speaker 3: Of the.
Speaker 2: Of the Cliff Harris Small College Award Defensive Player of the Year from Farris State.
Speaker 4: Farris State.
Speaker 2: I think in two years he had thirty some sacks.
Speaker 4: Okay, I still have work to do before a draft day.
Speaker 2: Check out Caleb Murphy. Actually, he's listed in this thing as a six or seven round pick.
Speaker 3: I don't have all year to fill up my notebook. I got like a month. Well, but he was Cliff Harris's guy, cramming for this test and I haven't. And now I'm not acing the test because you gave me Cliff Harris, the Cliff Harris Award winner.
Speaker 2: Did you meet him, Yes, I did. As a matter of fact, he had forty one sacks in his call his career, twenty five last year. Twenty five sacks last year, right, and first round? Uh no, he's said the first stick. He's projected small college. Yeah, but he got a tour of the place. Uh huh uh. And he runs into dan Quinn. Oh you know what dan Quinn tells him? Yeah, we just got done talking about you. Really, And then later on his tour he runs into Stephen Jones. Yeah, I said, this guy just had the tour of his life. But better than that, Cliff Harris had never taken a tour of the start really. So we're walking. I caught up with him. They were walking down towards the from the Cowboys locker room. He had no idea they had that Pro Bowl wall with his name as the top free safety or top safety in Cowboy history because he had the most Pro Bowl.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: He goes, oh, look at there's my name. He had never been.
Speaker 4: Through the wow wow.
Speaker 2: Anyway, little site.
Speaker 3: So Kayla Murphy, who a sixty three and sixty three pounder transferred from Grand Valley State to Farris.
Speaker 2: State Division two.
Speaker 3: By the way, Okay, I'll take Zach Harrison in the second.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, I didn't mean for him in the second round.
Speaker 3: Also, I Drew Sanders, linebacker from Arkansas. Yes, he could be in the mix first round. I like Trenton Simpson from Clemson as well.
Speaker 2: You got a cornerback.
Speaker 4: There are there are.
Speaker 3: Cornerbacks that that, but I don't I don't think the top ones are going to be on the board for the Cowboys at twenty six.
Speaker 2: So they'll be at the mercy of somebody falling into their lap. Otherwise they're taking what they determine. It's not a player with a first round grade, but like a first a player that you probably a second round grade that you wouldn't mind taking in the first round at twenty six.
Speaker 3: I got a safety this morning that I finally was able to take a look at from Boise State that I really like JL Skinner.
Speaker 2: Okay, third round now he may yeah, got you hitter, got you down? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Are JL Skinner? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Now he didn't test.
Speaker 3: He had a torn peck in training for the Combine, so he had pectoral surgery. So but he'll be ready for training camp.
Speaker 2: All right, we should be ready for the draft press conference when they're going to tell us who they're going to draft.
Speaker 3: And it will be you know, it will begin precisely at high noon too here, Yeah, okay, exactly, all right, and wow, we well will convene in the meantime. Yes, we'll get a chance on throughout the draft weekend. But next Monday morning at eleven am, we will wrap it all up and tell you who all those college free agents. Are the Cowboys signed? See you next week.
Speaker 2: I'm mixed shots, Go Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.