Speaker 1: To our remove Golin deep speed wins peas do.
Speaker 2: From the Baptist Health Studios inside the Baptist Health Training Complex.
Speaker 1: This is Drivetime with Travis Wingfield. He's job my ad hands in the playoffs.
Speaker 2: What is up, Dolph fans and well gone to the Drive Time Podcast? I am your host, Travis Wingfield. And on today's show, it's part four of our year end review that rolls onto the tight end room. We're talking our smallest position group on the roster. Because of the busy rest of our show Senior Bowl coming up this week, we are pivoting quite strong into draft season. Here on the podcast. We'll also go ahead and take a look at the conference championship week and when we learn from those games with the Lions and Niners and the Ravens and the Chiefs.
Speaker 1: All of that and more.
Speaker 2: From the Baptist Health Studios inside the Baptist Health Training Complex.
Speaker 1: This is the Draft Time Podcast. May guess and then there were just two.
Speaker 2: My Super Bowl pick went bust this year after getting it on the nose last year. It is a rematch of the twenty twenty Super Bowl. Anybody else completely lost track of which super Bowl it is?
Speaker 1: Is it like fifty eight or something like.
Speaker 2: I blame the Roman numerals for this, because I have a one oh one understanding of the Roman numerals. I know how to do like eight where it's or is it actually I don't even know how to do that.
Speaker 1: I guess I don't know any of it at all.
Speaker 2: But ultimately it becomes like that anagrams category on Jeopardy where you're trying to spell the word backwards and it takes you about three minutes, and by the time you do that, the contestants have already buzzed in and destroy your caveman brain on the way to making that happen quickly.
Speaker 1: I digress.
Speaker 2: So the Chiefs are back again, a chance to give us our first repeat champion since the three to four Patriots. And that's the kind of dynasty that we've seen this Chiefs team undertake, right, because Tom Brady essentially had multiple Hall of Fame careers, Like I think you could argue that Brady was a Hall of Famer. From one to four you win three championships, probably a Hall of Famer. Then again from five to thirteen, no rings. And this shows you the I guess inclusivivity of the Hall of Fame in terms of it's not about one accomplishment, it's about your body of work. And I think that Brady from five to thirteen no rings, but had that undefeated regular season in seven improved stats that during that run of his career, consistently dominant year in and year out, with different receivers and different defense, like whatever.
Speaker 1: It was, Brady was just always really good.
Speaker 2: Right, And then it had what I thought was a third separate Hall of Fame career from twenty fourteen to the end of it in twenty twenty two by winning a ring every other year for four years consecutively, right, or or eight year I guess, or whatever it was. Fourteen yes, fifteen, oh, sixteen, yes, seventeen oh, eighteen yes, nineteen oh, twenty twenty Yes.
Speaker 1: Like amazing, amazing, amazing career for Tom bri and.
Speaker 2: The Chiefs have essentially put themselves in position near the exact same thing with a chance to win their third in five years. It's their fourth trip to the game in five years, so I think it's already a dynasty. But in terms of getting your third in that amount of time, I would say that you're basically you basically become the seventies Steelers and the nineties Cowboys and the eighties nine Ers. Right like that, that's the sixties Packers. That's who you're on the on the verge of becoming, and on the other side of it, the Niners. Another chance for Kyle Shanahan to break through, which I think is ultimately where my allegiances lean.
Speaker 1: In this Super Bowl.
Speaker 2: I was hoping for a little bit of a fresher take on the Super Bowl because these teams, we've seen.
Speaker 1: Them this far into the calendar so.
Speaker 2: Many times now, but these two, you know, compared to the Chiefs, the Niners are kind of ripe off the vine, despite the fact that they've been in four of the last five conference championships as well. Like it's funny, man, we talk about how much this league has parody, and it does.
Speaker 1: It's great.
Speaker 2: The Lions propping up in that position was cool to see, even though the ending was disastrous for them. But even with that, even with you know, Houston having a cute run to the divisional round playoffs, right a team that had won four games each of the last two years. Then you get to this part of the thing and it's like, oh yeah, these guys. Those guys again, the Brady Manning, the freaking Mahomes. I wouldn't put Rock Pritty in there, but Mahomes and Lamar. Right, you get to this point of the calendar and it becomes the same guys again. But for Shanahan, you know, like a chance to really get over the hump. Right, the twenty sixteen Super Bowl as the OC, you know, when he had twenty five point lead go by the wayside. Then the Super Bowl as a head coach is a ten point fourth quarter lead, had a man wide open with Marquis Goodwin to win that thing, but Jimmy Ggoppolo misses the throw. Then the late loss of the Rams in the twenty one NFC Championship Game. Then the last year to have their quarterback get hurt early on in the game in the NFC Title Game. I just I feel like the Niners are due to get to the spot and to win in this game. And like we talk about the heartbreak on this podcas cast all the damn time, it's been the Niners since Shanahan got there getting.
Speaker 1: Over the hump.
Speaker 2: About the narratives that are developed from just sixty minutes of football, I mean, if I told you that we would follow the same linear path as the Niners. As Dolphins fans, you would take that right, although I don't know because I'm on Twitter, and it's kind of funny because like the Ravens lost that game, after that season, after their quarterback, it's probably gonna win the MVP in ten days from now, you can go through tweets of Ravens content creators and see the exact same replies that you saw when Miami lost to Kansas City. I saw, this team will never win a championship with Harbaugh and Jackson at the helm. This team is all about the regular season, all fluff, and then they disappear in the biggest moments. I think thirty one fan bases are gonna feel that way. So Dolphins fans, You're not alone. And those that don't subscribe to the chaos theory and the perpetual complaining and bitching and whining about everything that goes wrong in a loss. The ones that don't do that just know that every other fan base does the exact same thing as well. So like, but the heartbreak at this time of year is just so much more intense, isn't it. I don't really know, I'd imagine for those teams that is that way, but we haven't experienced that. I really would like to at some point. But imagine if you're a Lions fan today, if the Lions were us today, I didn't think fandom could get more painful than our final three games of the season. But a seventeen point second half lead that turns these next two weeks, which should have been the two most fun weeks of your life as a sports fan. Right, Like your team has never been in the Super Bowl, They're gonna go. You're gonna be talked about for two weeks. Every podcast, every show, every radio hit, every interview, every press conference is like on thirty, not ten on thirty.
Speaker 1: Right, But now you can't even watch it. I wouldn't be able to. You can't watch the.
Speaker 2: Content, you can't listen to podcasts, you can't watch radio row.
Speaker 1: Now all that was taken away from you. That has to hurt so bad.
Speaker 2: But for the Niners, they've experienced that hurt tenfold five times over. Right, So Shanahan's.
Speaker 1: First year was an absolute rebuild. They were a garbage team.
Speaker 2: Then they lose Jimmy Garoppolo to an injury. The next year that essentially wipes their season away. Then they go to the Super Bowl and lose a ten point lead in the fourth quarter, Ultimate pain. Then another injury plague season produces a six and ten mark for them, and man, isn't it funny?
Speaker 1: Super Bowl?
Speaker 2: Then QB injuries ruin a season to go six and ten. Then they start off two and five, ultimately three and six in that season as well, three and six through nine games. And I distinctly specifically recall the Around the NFL podcast talking about the possibility that Kyle Shanahan loses his job and that they move on from John Lynch. There's always a lesson on this podcast, right We always talk about what you can learn from these other big games that don't involve the Dolphins. And I always say that the Dolphins fans hold the Dolphins to a different standard than the rest of the league, and this quarterback to a different standard than the rest of the league.
Speaker 1: I think most teams.
Speaker 2: Probably do that most fan bases because you're so inundated with your team and you probably don't watch as much ball. But I think this time of year, I hope we can all extrap late we'll be see from those games and I saw Greg Olsen, who in my opinion, is the best color commentator in the National Football League right now or college football. I think my top two announcers play by play bee Chris Fawler in college and Greg Olsen in the NFL as your color guy. But I saw him get lots of feedback, and I get the trepidation about Dan Campbell's decisions. But he talked about how you can't play the outcomes of these Dan Campbell decisions. While I agree to his point a little bit, I do think there is a unique case in a do or die game. It's kind of like in baseball, where you don't bunt and give up outs in a one hundred and sixty two game contest, right, Like, that's it's all about Billy Bean Jonahill moneyball. Maximize your runs you score, minimize the runs you allow, and giving away outs in that situation over one hundred and sixty two games will produce fewer runs. But in an October, in a one game playoff that you need to win, you do move that runner from second to third base on a bunt. Right. The lesson is use sample size overreaction, but also I mean beyond common sense like you can just see it.
Speaker 1: You can see Shannahan one of the greats. We realize that, right. You don't have to use.
Speaker 2: Stats or a playoff loss, or a bad fourth quarter or a whatever it might be.
Speaker 1: Just watch the damn games. You can see it.
Speaker 2: Not sure anything else needs to be said, but it's a podcast, and I have the microphone, so you will listen to every damn word I have to say. The other part is the game is so high variance. Man, there are so many bounces the ball can take that just change the game completely. If Darnell Savage picks off that pass in his lap last week, to the Niners end the year as one and done as double digit home favorites in the divisional round as the one seed, an embarrassing way to go out, maybe, or if Josh Reynolds catches one of two critical passes in his bread basket, like maybe the Niners don't get past this game, and that's a huge failure in its own right right to lose the Lions, Like the Lions were a good team this year, but for the Niners to lose the Lions in that spot at home, can't do it extrapolate the quality of your coaches, your teams, whatever, from one drop pass, from one result. That is my entire point. You do that, you're gonna inform bad decisions. But if you evaluate and provide context and don't make results based ultimatums, make the playoffs or else you're gone.
Speaker 1: Win a playoff game, or else you're gone.
Speaker 2: Like I saw the questions to like Stephen Ross, but I give Mike McDaniel a playoff win ultimatum. What if he goes seventeen and oh, we get to the divisional round and we our quarterback gets hurt in the first play, Like what if that happens. What if we're still in the game in the fourth quarter and we miss a twenty three yard field goal, You're gonna fire your coach because of that.
Speaker 1: Like that's my.
Speaker 2: Point, man, Like, don't make rash emotional decisions in any walk of life, especially in a seventeen game season National Football League, because after a six and ten season, they move heaven and earth to get up nine spots and take.
Speaker 1: The quarterback who was there for two seasons.
Speaker 2: Starts to the number of games that you can count on one hand, right, and all of that, a three and six start after a six and ten year missing on the biggest, most important move they made, and look at them.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: All right, let's go ahead and get into these games a little bit more before our first break. I wasn't planning on that round rant, but has been I think worthwhile Ravens and Chiefs. So first off kicks off with insanely gifted playmaker quarterbacks right going tit for tat. On those first couple of drives, Mahomes and Kelsey had those that big fourth down conversion and then the big touchdown back shoulder throw that was a phenomenal throw, but even better catch from Kelsey, who reminded me of Gronk and those catches the way those massive hands just sort of vacuumed the football in and make these tough contested catches. And then Lamar gets one of those scramble looks tend plays where he runs around and makes a great throw into the end zone over the top for was it Zay Flowers for the touchdown? And it's like, okay, here we go. It's going to be a repeat of last week. Two superhuman quarterbacks going back and forth. And then it wasn't that how many three and outs were there? The first two possessions of the third quarter, there was five to three and outs. The Chiefs ended the game with five straight punts, and the Ravens scored three points in the second half. Even the scoring drives, they were lengthy these third down conversions, And I think that's an example of how you can sort of identify roster strength and what you need. Because to be able to win these games, you have to execute not just over the course of a whole playoff run or even a game run, even within the context of a single drive. You're gonna have to execute multiple different formulas to find victory. Like you have to have your power run game to convert some short yardage. You probably need your explosive passing game to back teams off and get yourself those chunk plays that ultimately put you in range to score points. You probably have to create some plays off script where the defense wins a call, because that happens all the time in the National Football League. But this time of year, when you're going up against Mike McDonald, the Ravens genius coordinator's gonna be a head coach next year, Like your quarterback probably has to find a way to win a couple of plays that you didn't win on the call sheet. I think that just the sustained drives are a good example of our splits as Miami Dolphins against disciplined or are good defenses, right because we tear up defenses that have busts, that don't communicate, that don't have good structure. We put forty on those teams every damn time. But the teams that come in and communicate, they have a veteran of green dot. They have versatile ranging middle linebackers. They have good, smart, heady safeties, they have good press corns on the outside, they have guys that can win one on ones on the inside. Those teams that those defensive structures can give us issues. And I think that we didn't have enough thud in the power game, not enough short area separators. You know, we just have the two guys that can win, but beyond that, didn't have a third option in the passing game, and the quarterback's not a threat in the pack in the running game. Right, Those are areas I think this Dolphins team can look to improve upon to find ways to compete in these critical games, which is obviously the next step for this football team. They've improved the offense, They've improved the defense, the special teams, and they got the right head coach, they have the right quarterback. They have to find ways to compete in these situations. I think that is one way you can do that. But then also, you know, like all these narratives I just lifted off for the Miami Dolphins, what is it now for Lamar Jackson and the Baltimore evens?
Speaker 1: Like he's two and four in the playoffs.
Speaker 2: He lost a home playoff game as a favorite to a guy that You're probably not going to get many chances to play at home against that guy the next ten years. Like's be honest about that. And I don't care about the Houston Texans win. They were ten ten at halftime. They were not looking good in that and Lamar played great in that game, don't get me wrong, played great in the second half. But beating were they nine and eight? The Texans ten and seven this year and they won a fun playoff game. But the Texans that was like the fourteenth best team in the NFL this year. I'm not like saying that was what put Lamar beyond this narrative, beyond reprieve from the fans that create these narratives. Now, I will say I think that Lamar is one of the best players in the NFL. He's my probably i'll say second best quarterback. Mahomes probably took it back in the playoffs because of just the kind of Michael Jordan tom Brady mentality he's displayed here during this run and beating three good football teams to get to this point. But I think Lamar is still right there, and I don't think that being two and four in the playoffs changes that. I think it changes the one to two conversation for Mahomes and Lamar potentially or Josh Allen top three, whatever you might want to say about it. But it's gonna be where they talk about all off season. And they had this great run they.
Speaker 1: Had, what did they play?
Speaker 2: They played seventeen games too, So nineteen eight through eighteen games there God's gift of football, right, And now because of one result, they get to go into the off season with not fun conversations about the long term viability of their operation.
Speaker 1: It's crazy, isn't it.
Speaker 2: More notes from the game, I think you have to I think you must blitz these running quarterbacks and do it effectively enough to wipe out their escape routes, and you have to deal with defensive backs, guys that can break down and make him change directions, make him slow his steps when he approaches the lascrimmage as a runner. And you know, these great quarterbacks can kind of freeze pass rushes, but those free runs, those dB blitzes who are used to breaking down space, those are the kind of ways you have to impact these quarterbacks. Because all year long, I thought vic was was pretty good this year, and I think very lowly of his decision making in professionalism.
Speaker 1: I'll be honest about that. I thought he's a pretty good coordinator.
Speaker 2: But what I hated this year all year long was sitting back against these top tier quarterbacks and just letting them chip away at us and shorten the game and reduce our offense as chances and make them have to be perfect because we're going to allow these nine minute drives. And I know, Ghost Adam Gayes, if you're out there, brother, love you. I think the narrative some times get a little bit much. I know you've been pounding the streets about how much the defense balled out down the stretch, and they did score wise, absolutely they did. They were the ones that gave us chances to win the offense at not one hundred percent agree with that. But but like in the Buffalo game, Buffalo drove the whole field the entire game because you won in the red zone and got some fluke turnovers that Alan forced in there and made some bad throws and YadA, YadA yad. I didn't get a DPI call on second down that first drive against Caterko, who should have been a DPI. The Bills drove the field in this all game long, and all the great quarterbacks did that all year long. Baltimore fifty six points, like, hey, where's your DC at?
Speaker 1: Then?
Speaker 2: How about Week four against Buffalo forty eight points that they were That was the best EPA game of team posted this year until the Week seventeen game against Baltimore Chargers game all game long, you have to find ways. You know, Turbert couldn't do anything against the blitz as we sent him late in the game.
Speaker 1: What took so long? Do that?
Speaker 2: More? You know, mix up your blitzer and your drops in a way that makes it a secret. I think you prioritize guys that can disguise those blitzes. More about this game. I think hidden yard is so critical in any football game, but especially in these late playoff games. Special teams obviously, but the way these teams tackle on the perimeter against screens, the way they get their initial surge in the running game, and the way they collision forward opposed letting running backs run through them is such a critical difference in the game. Like watch Kyle Hamilton flow downhill on the perimeter and just handle so much. But then like the way that Roe, Kwan and Queen collision those backs at at the point of attack, same with Bolton and Tranquill driving those ball carriers backwards. The difference sometimes between second and eight and second and five, And that's often the difference in a too high shel versus single high, which gives you more opportunities in the passing game. So it's not necessarily the yards, it's what the down distance gives you on the upcoming play. I thought, all these defenses this weekend, besides Detroit, do a really good job of making you earn more of those.
Speaker 1: Tough yards inside.
Speaker 2: And it wasn't so much that way on the NFC side of the coin here in terms of the corequarterbacks, but the way that teams went after Lamar and Mahomes like the way that McDuffie for the Chiefs blitz is the edge. It reminds me of that Cater blitz versus the Chargers on Turnburt back on Opening Day. But just finding ways to get those guys downhill and freeze the quarterbacks in their tracks opposed to them freezing your pass rush with those blitz heavy plans.
Speaker 1: Those are my big takeaways.
Speaker 2: A game that looked like it was going to be superstar quarterbacks trading blows turned into disguising coverage.
Speaker 1: Well time blitz is winning hidden yardage. And then how about this final point.
Speaker 2: Man, The Dynasty teams just don't make the mistakes, and they capitalize on your mistakes when you do make them, like Lamar pressing on the interception.
Speaker 1: That's what Tua did this year, right, you can't do that.
Speaker 2: The Ravens get that taunting penalty where I don't think they had any intention of calling taunting there on Zay Flowers, but I mean like you literally taunted him three times, you put hands on him and pin him to the ground, you spun the ball on top of them, and it still looked like maybe they wouldn't flag you.
Speaker 1: But then you stand over the top of him and flex on him, like did the Chiefs do that?
Speaker 2: No? Do the Patriots under Brady ever do that? Then he reaches the goal line, which is you know, top pretty uniform across the league, and you reached the ball out and fumble it into the end zone and it costs you the game.
Speaker 1: Like championship teams don't do that.
Speaker 2: Speaking of capitalizing all mistakes, let's go ahead and do a quick nine Ers and Lions recap. The Lions had two critical drops, including a fourth down that could have given them a first down in the red zone with seven and a half minutes to play, down by three.
Speaker 1: Good teams don't do that.
Speaker 2: Then the next drive another drop, and that was after they had a bad bounce that costs a touchdown on the Iuke long play. Speaking of luck, then the Gibbs fumble just a total melt down at the end where the better team didn't have those mistakes, the worst team did right because early the Lions showed you what their physicality is all about. They protected Golf so well early and he was dicing it up, and then they ran for big chunks, just moving them off the line of scrimmage late in that game, but then the mistakes got there and it turned the game around ultimately. I think my biggest takeaway is it's tough for us because the balance of the conferences right now, to me is very disproportionate. I think the best three best quarterbacks, in my opinion, in AFC. I think a lot of the best coaches are in the AFC. And then you even have beyond that. I mean, like to a Burrow Strout, Lawrence Herbert, my god, to go to the Super Bowl in the AFC, you probably have to go through quite a gauntlet of like all good quarterback play. And look at Mahomes carefully navigating the Dolphins into Allen and the Bills, Lamar and the Ravens. And it wasn't his three hundred and fifty yard games with four touchdowns. It was understanding game situation, managing it, creating it when you had to, and just committing to a game plan.
Speaker 1: Chiefs Niners, pretty good matchup, that's down the road.
Speaker 2: Let's go ahead and take our first break right there and via the tight end position here for your Miami Dolphins. In twenty twenty three, before the Senior Bowl preview all that. Next Draft Time podcast, your host Travis Wingfield, brought to you by Auto Nation position group number four on the twenty twenty three review of the Dolphins of Ross and we go to the tight end group here, and I wanted to put our shortest group on this long conversation about the championship games and Senior Bowl preview as we get into that here very shortly. I'm very excited about the Shar's class and having high draft picks once again. We'll be talking to plenty of people that know about the draft, including I think myself a little bit as we go on the next couple of months. Let's go ahead, though, and look back at a tight end position group here. It's going to be a quick segment. I think we start here a bit of detailing the makeup of the room in twenty twenty three and what some of us maybe thought it might look like in terms of a great tight end draft class right and attacking that position with the mindset of it being a critical point of your offensive attack.
Speaker 1: And it just was not that.
Speaker 2: We know this offense is built around two star receivers, and I think that where things got off this year was the fact that those two receivers were not available all year like they were a season to go, and not even just playing in the games, but practice time, and I think it just kind of ultimately impacted your timing in the offense, and ultimately down the stretch was the reason you lost some of those big games because your inability to find other separators against Buffalo. Man, there were so many chances against Buffalo to just win a matchup and convert a first down on top of the drop passes we had in the game, on top of the pick at the end of the game with a poor route and a poor decision from the quarterback. Like I think if they just would have had one of these guys to talk about here in the draft preview, they would have that game maybe could have been different. Maybe you're hosting Buffalo instead of going to forty degrees below Kansas City, which, by the way, the Ravens, that great offense, scored ten points at home against that defense in a fifty degrees cooler or warmer temperatures. Just saying tight end room though, wasn't game breaking by any stretch. Probably the least imaginative past receiving tight end room in the national Football League, and I think that you have to view that room in a way that's different than what maybe a casual football fan will because there are just roles from this group that more closely resemble what atlec Ingold does compared to I don't know, Michael Egnu right, probably a bad example. How about Julius Thomas is more like it, not going to block. Never saw a block he liked, but we'll catch the football. Here's a good example. Eight hundred and thirty nine snaps for Durham smythe this year, only four hundred and fifty of those out into the pattern. The first comparable name that's more Michael Egnew than Durham Smith that came to my mind was Sam Laporta, the very good rookie draft pick of the Lions who was not at all a blocking specialist at Iowa. Even though he plays for one of the best run teams in college football, one of the best run teams in the National Football League, he was a game breaking pass catcher. He played over one thousand snaps this year, and six hundred and fifty of those were out into the pattern, so a much bigger chunk of his workload as a pass catcher compared to Miami's tight end one. But man, watching those games this weekend, I think the ability to have what we have here, but also someone that can threaten the seam and get vertical and make the explosive play. I keep thinking about Jake Ferguson for the Cowboys because watching the tape and then watching the game, he just was so critical in that area for them. Like the ability to go thirteen personnel and assert your will in a downhill running game, but also get explosives from one of those guys if especially you go attached why out of eleven personnel? That type of versatility can make you so difficult to defend, especially this time of year when I think, my big guess, you know, learning point this postseason and thinking about previous postseasons is you gotta be versatile, man. You have to have multiple ways to win football games. Let's go part by part here. Number eighty one Durham Smith let us and snaps thirty five catches three hundred and sixty six yards, did not score. I thought, by far Durham Smith's best year as a pro. I was very hard on Durham in twenty twenty one. I thought it was a bad fit. I thought the routes were bad, the inclusion of his game as a Pats receiver was not a fit for him. I think they got better in twenty twenty two, and it got even better this year. I think his ability to turn and pin some really tough defensive end outside linebacker types on the perimeter in the running game is a critical part of what we do to catch and climb with Austin or Tron off the tackle position in the running game, He's always in so such just controlled balance as he approaches as a blocker, keeps his base solid and underneath him as he explodes through his punch with steps into that punch, which opens up the explosiveness and allows you to control the rep as a blocker, and we knew about that from his Notre Dame tape six years ago. But also despite limited opportunities as a pass catcher in college, he shows you some of the playmaking skills that he has as a receiver, and I thought we saw a little bit of that year. I liked the way he catches those little out routes and then pivots from route runner into ballcarrier and just gets north and south because if he gets hit at the seven yard, I should say, you know, three yards from the sticks. He typically gets chopped down in a way that he falls forward and achieves that first down and gives you extra yards that four lean. Now, obviously, again, I think your off season plan if you want to improve this group is to get probably more explosive from the guy that plays seventy plus percent of your snaps. But I think this is a very high end tight end two, low end tight end one, and that's a good position to be for DERMISMI theory. But beyond that Julian Hill eight number eighty nine six for forty eighth this year, I think there's something there, but it has to show up this year in order for me to be cool with Like the direction of the room, I still think you had one. But anyway, I was so impressed by his work as that short motion kick out the backside and in split flow or just lead it all the way around the corner and take that play side outside zone play with you as a lead blocker, and for a rookie playing that position in this offense that has so much to undertake and at a position that I think is the hardest to learn offensively besides quarterback, because you have to learn routes, run game, and pass pro No other position calls for all three of those besides quarterback. So for Julian that physicality man, like I mentioned the ability to go thirteen personnel, He's perfect in those settings. But I think there's meat on the bone for him to evolve as a pass catcher. And if he does that, if we get those exceptional blocking ancillary pieces, you're alec Ingold, You're Derham, Smite, Julian Hill, you know whoever it might be. As it were, they become real passing threats.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: That can add a whole other wrinkle and layer to this offense. But for Julian, great grip, strength, more great balance, Like Durham, when he gets into those blocks and into his man, he can usually strike and control the rep pretty well. Big fan of his game, He's kind of one of those key parts, right Like, this is a team that needs some young guys to take the next step because we need production on cheap contracts. Eric Azukama, Cater Koho get back to Eurokie season skills, Keon Smith, Chris Brooks. Getting contributions from these guys would be so critical Tyler Kroft number eighty two, didn't catch any footballs and active most of the year. Just I mean he's a death piece, right, Probably going to try to find better options there at number three on the team this year, so futures contract Tanner Connor still think he has some skills to play with and we'll see what his career looks like down the road.
Speaker 1: Just one last comment.
Speaker 2: I mentioned this on a podcast a while back after the Cowboys game that Greg Olsen did talked about his conversation with Mike McDaniel in their production meetings, and he said, I love the offense, but get the tight end more involved than McDaniel jokingly sad to him that's coming in year three. So I think that there is a potential for a year three evolution for this offense to look for more explosiveness, especially from this group. Either way, I think it has to happen with someone that can align inside to give you that run game pass game flexibility. So either a big slot receiver tight end Noah Fanse a guy like in free agency. I'm still really bummed about Elijah Higgins leaving, but finding someone more equipped to run that position I think is a area of focus for me this off season. Speaking of the off season, Senior Bowl coming up this week, let's go ahead and take our last.
Speaker 1: Break right there.
Speaker 2: Come back on the other side in preview the week of practices. I have a few prospect notes here. That's next Draft Time podcast, your host Travis Wingfield, brought to you by Auto Nation.
Speaker 1: Senior Bowl week. I still have not gone to a Senior Bowl in my life.
Speaker 2: I thought I'd be going to all of them as a member of the Miami Dolphins, but the first one was canceled because of COVID, the second one we didn't go because our coach sued the team, and then I just haven't gone the last couple of years because no draft picks. And now it's like I can just cover it from home. So that's what we're gonna do here. But I want to go ahead and put these notes on here. I kind of listed some things we have to look for this off season. Potentially your long term left tackle, potentially Christian Wilkins replacement. Right, those are two big things that hang overhead that you're not quite sure about yet. I think we definitely need in their eligible slot tight end type. I think we definitely need in the off ball linebacker. I think we definitely need interior offensive line help and safety depth as well. So that's where I'm gonna go and look at this and try to fit guys into those positions, and really just guys that I've watched this year is my key jumping off point. We start where else besides fight for Washington State. Cooks have three guys in this game this year. First, Shaw Smith Wighe a very very very modern day slot cornerback whose game I freaking love think Trent McDuffie, I'm not gonna call him a first team All Pro, but the muscle Hamster, the Tasmanian double type. He played most of his time on the perimeter, but that's because he was one of our best players. I think his ability to recognize things and anticipate concepts, like I thought Kyle Hamilton's football acumen leads to anticipation, which leads to so many plays.
Speaker 1: That's this guy.
Speaker 2: He's He's phenomenal coverage IQ, competitive as hell, loves to come up and support the run, blitz the quarterback. We played a ton of coverages at Washington State and he was capable of all of them. I think he's got more inside flexibility than he played in college. I love him as an early Day three slow option Shaw Smith Waye from Washington State. Another dB from Washington State is Jaden Hicks. I think Brandon Jones's play style, but he can actually cover. He flies all over the field. He hits, he hits, he hits some more like Smith Wade. He's smart as hell. I thought he'd come back and play one more year and shoot up the draft boards. But feisty at the catch point. He can match up with tight ends. He can blitz led all pack twelve safeties and QB pressures, and he's a tone setting hitter. Keep an eye on those two guys this week. Also on a local guy, Cameron Kitchens from Miami, another safety with insane range and speed and ball skills to make him a real ball hawking threat on the back end. And if you want versatility, like Javon Holland plays all over the formation right. If he's paired with a player like Cameron Kinchins, you can essentially rotate your strong safety and free snapey on a snap by snap basis and keep defenses really guessing, kind of like Hoyer, Poyer and High did in Buffalo for so many years. With all three of these dbs I mentioned the way they compete at the top of the route is how I want to watch him perform this week. Play to their level and just be on top what the receivers trying to do. Watch those one on one reps and get a good feel for that. Another one's Cole Bishop from Utah hitter, striker, blitzer, slot safety, strong safety, type of player, fantastic in coverage with those skills down in the mess to make him, from my money, an easy Day two pick, possibly a second round if you don't go that way, just watch him bowie guys this week. He's ad Utah ute obviously a lot more than that, But those the DB's I'm watching so far up front. The first thing that pops off the list to me is a first round pick. If you want to see Jalen Phillips part two two laya two lat tow from UCLA.
Speaker 1: I butchered that.
Speaker 2: If he's there at twenty one, I think he becomes a real option. So far out from actually projecting who goes where, but like, just watch him play.
Speaker 1: He is dominant.
Speaker 2: He's a top fifteen pick for money, burst and strength, combo like seriously, he's a JP clone as a prospect. The one knock he had same as JP medical history, but La two Latu from UCLA keeping on him inside Tovandrea Sweat from Texas. Oh man, if we lose Christian Wilkins, I got I like this guy. He was the best stuffing defensive tackle in college football. He's six foot four, three sixty two, so he's not built like Christian, but I promise you if you watch these practices, you'll know who he is.
Speaker 1: When we're done.
Speaker 2: He's going to obliterate the week when you just cannot block him one on one. There's a play in the College Football Playoff where he drops U dub running back Dylan Johnson, who goes two twenty and powerful as hell, just one arm, rag doll's um to the ground, insane power, quick first step. He's built like Michael Pearson Baltimore, but has a Chris Jones first step. If you want him, it's got to be round one. I'm just gonna say his name because I've seen so much of him. But Brendon Jackson from also from Washington State. A super productive edge, great long arm, bowl rush combination that he's crafted over a long college career. He can play hand the dirt on even fronts, can stand up and drop back and coverage and odd fronts. I think there's some more seasoning that has to happen. That's why he becomes a Day three option. But watch him win with strength and repertoire of moves all week long. If you want a linebacker this week, look at Tommy Eikenberg. That's Liam's brother from Ohio State football player over workouts, right, that's like a Zach Thomas type, excited to see where he matches up in in terms of the elite athletes this week. I don't think that he's close to that, but he's gonna have to win with his anticipation, his intelligence. He just plays so far ahead of his contemporaries in that regard. Hell of a blitzer in a football jeans guy, Ohio State and the Eikenbergs are all football players. Perhaps my favorite player in the entire game is another linebacker here, NC State's Peyton Wilson. I'm not calling him like the player, but he reminds me of Brian urlacker Man huge. He's six foot four, so much range to interrupt passing lanes. And the speed and quicks to make it happen too like it reminds me of Fred Warner Kind if he's a round one pick if you remove the medical So we'll see where he winds up going. But watch him this week because he's gonna stand out a big time. Peyton Wilson NC State probably a Round one, maybe a round two. But on the offensive line, if you want the best center in the nation, he's gonna be in this game. Depending on which one you want, Oregon's Jackson Powers Johnson and West Virginia's Zach Fraser.
Speaker 1: Fraser is an absolute animal. Four thousand plus snaps.
Speaker 2: Just one of those guys that you know he's gonna be good, that you know he's gonna be a great player. He actually got off the field after breaking his leg in their final game to save a time out on the final drive of that game. He's got great range and strength of the position. I'm just so confident he'll be a great pro. And same with Powers Johnson. Man he is that good, but even more physically gifted. I've got a ton of work on the offensive line to do with those two guys stand out to me at quarterback. I'm excited to watch Michael Pennix, the best pure passer to come out since Tua and then Joe Milton is like a poor man's Josh Allen or Anthony Richardson, Like he's got all the physical traits, but he's all over the place.
Speaker 1: Can't wait to watch him at the Senior Bowl.
Speaker 2: I don't have a running back for you have more work to do there, but I have a tight end two receivers, and these guys fit that mole I talked about earlier. Brevin spanned four from Minnesota is six foot seven, two sixty five. Could stand a bulk up, but man, he can fly. He caught a touchdown for the ghost and a crossing Robert hits the sideline, hurdles a guy and then runs away from a linebacker and safety. Freaky skills. Remember my Darnell Washington obsession last year. This is the next guy of that ILK because there's more ability as a pass catcher. But he can align in line and I've seen him in that up back a gap position. You'll see teams sneak the running back up in two for Boitz pickup.
Speaker 1: He does it all.
Speaker 2: Fun prospect from Minnesota, brebans Span Ford a receiver. I got two for you here, Lad Mcconklely, Lad McConkie from Georgia. I'm gonna give you two different players here. A receiver completely. He's a quick, immediate separator, Danny am Mondola type a technician that can make every route like the exact same or different. But he also can align a line outside, which is something that those Patriots, the Wes Welkers and the Danny Mindols didn't do so much of. He can attack your leverage, sell you a bill of goods, runs after the catch, plays anywhere, and returns kicks like Laddi McConkie's game quite a lot. Xavier Laguette from South Carolina plays huge. He's a high point master, loves dropping the shoulder as a ball carrier after the fact.
Speaker 1: He shows his speed with four to three burst to boot.
Speaker 2: In fact, he clocked twenty two point three miles per hour and a game this year does it all. Man six foot three two twenty seven needs a lot more time in an NFL route tree, which makes him a long developmental prospect for US in my opinion, probably a probably a three route prospect, maybe late day two, early day three, which is actually pretty common for a lot of these schools that don't have really dynamic route trees.
Speaker 1: But Xavier LA get from South Carolina. Keeping on that name.
Speaker 2: All right, let's go ahead and get out of here on the prospect side of things. But before I get out of here, hey, DCC Cancer Fighters Registration is open for the fourteenth annual Dolphins Challenge Cancer on Saturday, February twenty fourth. Sign up to join the Miami Dolphins in this year's run, walk and ride and raise funds with the DCC, which donates one hundred percent of participant raise funds for innovative cancer research at Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center. Registration closes on February ninth. Visit www dot Ride DCC dot com to sign up and start donating today. You also please be sure subscribe, rate, review the podcast where we get your podcast from.
Speaker 1: Go ahead and do all that for us.
Speaker 2: Follow me on social at Weeklan NFL, follow the team at Miami Dolphins, ORed out the fish Tank podcast with Seth and Juice, the YouTube channel for Dolphins a Day, and so much more, and last but not least, Miami Dolphins dot com.
Speaker 1: Until next time, n's up, You can help