Speaker 1: And That's what You Really missed with Jenna.
Speaker 2: And Kevin an iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 3: Welcome to and That's what You Really miss Podcasts. This is part two of our Corey tribute and this is the very special fan edition.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much to everyone who shared your voice memos. It's incredible to hear just how much Corey meant to all of you, especially because he meant so much to us. So it's nice to know that you know, those of you who had the chance to meet him, and some who never got to but still felt a connection with him and who loved him. You took the time to send in these beautiful messages.
Speaker 3: We truly can't thank you enough. I was floored by like how many people submitted, and like for sharing your stories, for your grief, for your love with us. It's all so vulnerable and we really we feel connected to you when you share with us in this way, and so we're so grateful. So we're going to turn it over to you guys now, So kicking us off for our friend Connor.
Speaker 4: Hello to Kevin, Jennas, Sam, all of the listeners listening at home, Thank you so much for having me on. I'm Connor. I was on a previous fan episode of and That's what You Really missed, And I just wanted to send you over a voice note to quickly pay my own little tribute to Corey and celebrate the person that so many of us fans fell in love with. Corey Montit like, let's just jump straight in and talk about the talent out of this world. As an adult watching Glee, something I'm really struck by when it comes to Corey is that I think he had such a difficult job on the show because so many of the characters on Glee had big, exuberant, cartoonish personalities, which obviously made the show what it is, But I think the character of Finn was more grounded in reality. He still had some of the Glee esque over the top moments, but Finn was one of the characters on the show that gave the story so much more emotional grounding. When I was recapping the show on my podcast Glee Cup years ago, or even when I still talk about the show on Gleek of the Week podcast today, I often talk about how Finn is one of my favorite characters. He is someone who says and does remarkably dumb things, but he is one of the most accurate portrayals on the show as to what it's like to be a confused young person, like, for example, when he left school, he was very unsure about what to do. Was he going to move to New York, join the army, work at Bert's garage to make some money. There was something really moving about that, and I know a lot of people can relate to that experience. Finn was also a character who was dealt the hand of being the leader and the person responsible for encouraging his classmates, even if he didn't feel like he was in a position to do so. That was the emotional burden he had to carry, and that's a big chunk of that character's arc, and Corey played it with so much conviction and nuance and understanding that is genuinely remarkable to watch. I'm an actor, and although I've never been a part of the project as big of Glee, as big as Glee, I do make my money from it, and as anyone will tell you, one of the greatest joys of being an actor is when you get such a kick out of watching people who are great actors. And I literally relish in watching Corey's performance on this show. He was, and I don't say this is sound hyperbolic, genuinely remarkable. If anyone wants to revisit, I'd highly recommending watching Corey's performance in the twentieth episode of Season one, Bad Reputation, when Finn argues with Kurt over the deck of their shared bedroom. Corey elevates that scene to astounding heights and, along with Chris Colfer and Mike O'Malley, literally delivers an Emmy worthy performance. In my opinion, he was an actor who I was so excited to see what going to come of his career, and I have no doubt that it would continue to be a great one. Like he was just beyond impressive. But the thing that strikes me as most impressive about Corey is the man that everyone who met him knew him to be.
Speaker 5: Like.
Speaker 4: Fellow cast members, members of the crew and production team, creatives involved with the show all have the fondest memories of Corey and speak of him highly. Celebrities who've met and worked with him also speak of his kindness and humility, but also his fans say the same, and service staff and people who only met him briefly and have nothing to do with the entertainment industry, Like I've always been struck at the concept of someone being able to navigate life and literally have every single person remark on his gentleness and kindness above everything else. Those are the qualities that we should be celebrating and uplifting the most, and those are the qualities that we should be striving to bring to the table when it comes to our own behavior. So I can't articulate how happy I am that you guys are doing this segment for Corey, because I think it's important. And when I was on the podcast, I talked with Kevin and Jenna briefly about how I think that the best part of the podcast is hearing conversations on the show that are refreshingly honest and real, a tone that I thought was so beautifully set when Ryan Murphy guested on the first episode. Because there's no doubt in my mind that some things are complex and difficult to talk about, but I think talking through things always helps the narrative. You know, the world isn't black and white, it's gray, and there's nuanced things, And I honestly think it's so gorgeous how people who are connected to Glee whether it be cast or crue, creatives or commentators, have all had the opportunity to express what Corey continues to mean to us. I think we're living in an age now where people appreciate those who speak their hurts, and I think that's what's so great about this podcast. I personally never thought I would ever have the opportunity to express my feelings about Corey on a platform such as this, So I just want to sincerely thank Kevin and Jennet and Sam for allowing me the opportunity to do so. Corey continues to inspire me greatly for a myriad of different reasons, and I've always been profoundly moved by the impact that he's made in my life. So that's all for now. Don't stop believing everyone, and I love you all.
Speaker 6: What.
Speaker 7: Hi.
Speaker 8: My name is Ali and I live in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. When I first started watching Lee, I found myself attaching to the character of Finn. It was beautiful to see a character who loves his people so loudly and had such a willingness to grow and become a better person. As I grew up with a character, I found myself relating to his storyline of not knowing what to do after high school. He mentions being good at certain things, but not being able to find the thing you were great at, and that's exactly how I was feeling at the time. Finn made me feel less alone. As I got to know Finn, of course, I wanted to know more about the person who played him, so I started watching behind the scenes clips and anything I could find about Corey and the rest of the cast. This made me realize that not just the character loves loudly, but it was clear that Corey did too, and that's been proven by the way that everyone speaks about him today. He provided me with so much comfort, and he didn't even know me, so much so that I named a cat after him, and Corey the cat still those with my parents to this day. It wasn't long that I realized that not only the character was making me feel less alone, but Corey was too, and so was the rest of the cast. Lee felt like the friends that could relate to me that maybe I didn't have in real life. He was such a light for the people that didn't even know him personally, mine included. And I just want to thank you for the opportunity to talk about one of my favorite characters in all of television and the actor that provided so much comfort to a young girl who really needed it at the time.
Speaker 9: Hi, I'm Nicole Lamb.
Speaker 10: I am from Birmingham, Alabama, and I am what you would call an og Glee fan. I was a freshman in high school when I watched the pilot episode, and Wow, what a time. It was a cultural phenomenon. It still is, but I mean I would go to my human anatomy class and like discuss the latest episode with my teacher, like that's how big of a deal it was. And I think one of the reasons we connected to it so much was because of Corey Monteeth, because of Finn Hudson, his heart, his openness, just the way he portrayed Finn. It felt like he was your friend. Like Finn and Corey are, you know, in tandem. And I will never forget where I was when I found out that Corey passed away. And I feel like a lot of Glee fans have that exact same experience, can say, oh, I was right here when I found out because Corey touched our hearts. Finn touched our hearts on such a deep, deep level and so grateful for him. And I still watch episodes he has me backing up laughing, and I'm just so so grateful that he was our Finn Hudson, that he sent that video of him playing the drums on tubberware that we all know because we're such fans of the show and such fans of him. And I still listened to Jesse's Girl at least twice a month. So so grateful for Corey and so grateful for Finn Hudson.
Speaker 11: Hi, Kevin and Jenna. My name is Emily C. And I am from Wisconsin. I've been an avid Glee fan since the series started in two thousand and nine, and I was especially a fan of Corey Montit's character Finn Hudson. If Rachel Barry was considered the star of the show, then Finn Hudson would have been the heart. After hearing so many stories from the both of you about Corey and his kind heartedness towards others, it made sense that Finn shared this on screen. Art imitates life.
Speaker 7: I know.
Speaker 11: The Quarterback episode is one that's hard for many fans and co workers of Corey included. While the episode itself may have had its issues with the implementation and timing. It gave me, as a fan, a space to grieve. While there is a strong possibility that I would have never met Corey, and knowing that him and Finn were obviously two different people, I personally am thankful to have a place where I can return to and remember how much he meant to everyone that he impacted, whether in real life or through their screens. I always wonder what more he would have done if he was given more time. I am thankful and feel honored to have been able to see his growth over four short years. Life is full of what ifs, but Corey seemed to be one to live in the moment, So I too have learned to enjoy the moment and not dwell on the past or the future. And I have Corey to thank for that. Rest in peace, Corey, you are missed more than you may have ever thought possible.
Speaker 12: Hello, Hello, Hello, Jenna, Kevin and Anny Gleeks who might be listening to this. My name is Albert and I'm from Sunny Los Angeles, California. Oh, Corey, Corey, Corey Corey. When I think of Corey Monteeth, I think of his solo from Born this way, I've got to be me Glee Cast version by Glee Cast. I just think he's so charming and so sweet in it. Whenever I'm sad or down, I'll watch it and it just makes me smile. And just seeing everybody react in the choir room to the number, it just makes me so happy. I'm so thankful for Corey and his beautiful personality.
Speaker 5: He was the first loss.
Speaker 12: That I think I had in my life and I will he will always hold a special place in my heart. Whenever I think about him, my heart smiles, and I'm just so thankful that he came into my life. Frankent Teine Forever.
Speaker 4: I love you, guys.
Speaker 13: Hey, Jenna, Hey Kevin. This is Sharene from Vancouver, BC, Canada. I know that Corey was a huge fan of the Vancouver Canucks, which is our hockey team here, and it always makes me smile because there is this photo of Corey with the Canucks' mascot, who is coincidentally also named Finn. So just seeing Finn Hudson and Finn the Whale like hang out like bros makes me so happy.
Speaker 14: When I ride as.
Speaker 13: Him and I guess for a Glee related moment, one thing that's very vivid in my brain is Chris and Corey doing the interview for the props behind the scenes, and Corey's kind of fitsing Chris hair and then he impersonates Chris, you know, with Kurt Hummel's high voice and Chris tan Smet's arm and it's just watching two brothers be brothers, and I'm like, it just makes me so happy and it's so vivid in my mind. And that's probably because I watched it like thousands of times, but it's really cool to see that he was that big brother to you guys, the way we saw him be on TV.
Speaker 15: If that made sense.
Speaker 13: Yeah, those are two moments that I keep replaying in my head or like look up online whenever I missed The Big Guy.
Speaker 14: Thanks Iron Pecks and I live in England.
Speaker 16: I watched Clay as it aired and was quickly obsessed. Thing was immediately my favorite. He wasn't always perfect, but the way Corey played him was so charming. My favorite Finn moment is probably Paradise by the Dashboard Light, because I don't think he looked or sounded better anywhere else. Although he is great in the breakup, Corey quickly became my favorite cast member, and I can't choose a specific favorite memory of him, but I always love watching him at interviews. He didn't seem to take himself too seriously, but you could tell that he took his work seriously and he was very proud of what he did. He was open, honest, and entirely endearing. Jesse's Girl makes my Spotify wrapped every year. I loved his voice, his passion for music, and his silly sense of humor. He was a hugely talented actor and seeing him play the drums was always a highlight for me.
Speaker 14: I'll never not miss him.
Speaker 17: Hello, this is Pamela from Michigan. I was on the podcast last year for the fanfic discussion, and I wanted to share my favorite Finn moments because they were these little, smaller bits of humor that were often injected in the episodes, like when he popped up in front of the ice sculpture in Hearts and he started dancing, or when he mentioned that he couldn't get married because he had Jim, or that he didn't even remember he was taking history. The memeable ignoring You moment as the Almighty Trouble Cleff, and of course the very iconic the show must go all over the place or something. Finn was such a complex character, and it spoke to Corey's amazing acting ability that he was able to make him come alive in such a compelling and real way. And I really attribute Finn's sweetness and big heart to Corey because it feels like that light that Corey brought to the role shining through. Corey was such a wonderful, talented guy, and I'm so glad that we have such a way to look back and remember that.
Speaker 18: Hey, I'm Jacob Kyon and I'm from New Zealand. I'm such a big fan of the show and of Corey, and I think that part of the reason that Glee was so successful was because of the way that Corey played fan. And what's really interesting is listening to Kevin and Jenna's podcast, and every guest they have on who worked on the show, guest stars, cars, and crew all say the same thing, and it's how amazing Corey was and how he made a connection with everybody and made everybody feel special. And I really think that translated through the screen. And some of my favorite phanom moments were him singing faithfully, him singing girls just want to have fun. His vocal glow up between season one to season four was insane. And I know Paradise by Dashboard Light is like a fan favorite, and Finn carries that song. His vocals are crazy, and I feel so grateful that I had a show like Glee growing up with a male lead like Corey, and we can watch all these episodes and musical performances back, so his legacy will live on forever.
Speaker 3: Hello.
Speaker 19: My name is Victoria and I'm from Green Bay, Wisconsin. And I remember the first time I watched Glee. I was in sixth grade and I felt like such a rebel because I was told by my mom I had to wait till high school to watch it, but the theater kid and me said no, so I started watching it. Since that, I've watched the whole season seasons in their entirety about six times. I think I'm working on my seventh time. But I remember first meeting Finn's character and being so upset because I was like, why are they ruining the show with a jock?
Speaker 15: Like what is he going to.
Speaker 19: Bring to the table? And what he brought to the table was hard work. And perseverance, and he his character really showed me that just because you're not super good at something, or just because you don't think it's for you, does not mean that you're not going to grow to love it and you're not going to grow to be an impactful part of it. And then I remember being a senior in high school and COVID had just happened, and it gets to the core back episode, which is one of the most heart wrenching episodes, and I remember watching it and crying because Glee makes me cry all the time, and getting to the end where it's showing his plaque and it hitting me, this is twenty twenty.
Speaker 3: I'm watching this show which.
Speaker 19: Is set in the future and it's twenty twenty, and I was like, wow, he I wish he knew how I wish Corey knew how impactful he was and how many boys he showed that it was okay to be part of theater, because that's yes, we know that as an adult we need men in theater, but sometimes in high school you need someone, even if it's on a TV show, to show that it's it's okay. And I really think that he was that for a lot of people, and I think about all the people that he has impacted, and I'm just so happy that I had changed my first judgment of him, and I'm really grateful for this opportunity to share how he impacted me.
Speaker 20: So thank you guys for that.
Speaker 21: Hi.
Speaker 22: I'm Sophie. I'm from Denmark and I would love to talk a little bit about Corey and how he impacted my life. He was the first character I think that I actually really noticed in Glee. I was watching it a bit of late as it got released later in Denmark. And my favorite episode and my favorite memory is probably the episode from season three I Kissed a Girl, where he helps Santana come to terms with her sexuality. As I at the time, I was also trying to come to terms with my sexuality, so I really enjoyed watching him help her like that, watching her have like a male figure to be that kind of support. Actually, when I had watched that episode, I went out to the living room and I came out to my mom right then and there. He really gave me the courage to do that and to be who I am. He and Naya did that, and the two of them, as well as Britney will always be my favorite characters in any fictional series. Also Naya, Heather, and of course Corey's real life personality. Just they're my favorite actors, all three of them, and of course I was heartbroken when we lost both of them. And I also wanted like to mention the tribute episode because I know for you it was such a tough time and there's many questions about if that episode should have actually been a thing. I just wanted to give the view that, like for me, it is to the date, still one of my favorite episodes, and it is that because I had no one to talk to about this grief in real life. No one I knew was watching Glee, so no one knew the characters or the people. And so when we lost Corey and this episode came out, I jumped straight to it, and for the first time since I heard about him passing, I felt like I had someone to grieve with and someone who understood my pain and the feelings I was going through. And I really loved to see you deal with it because it made me able to deal with it, if that makes sense. So I just want you to know that it hasn't been totally in vain going through what you went through for me. It was a really impactful episode and to this day is my favorite. I was rewatching it when I was going through the grief of losing Naya. It once again helped me to come to terms with it and just be okay and not feel so alone. So yeah, I also just really run it to thank you guys for what you're doing, for this opportunity to come on your podcast and to talk about these people that we love. I just love you guys so much. Thank you and bye.
Speaker 23: Hi Jenna, Hi, Kevin, Hi everybody, And that's what you Really miss podcast. This is Jaden from Manchester, England. I wanted to just critically tell you about Corey and Thin. A big song for me that stands out is Corey's song from the graduation Albert not the end. Since he's passing. That song has been on my regular and most played. It's almost very, very emotional to listen to it. It was not using an episode, but I can almost sometimes I can listen to it. I can picture the story that he would have matched with. A big scene that I always think sticks out for me with Corey is actually a graduation episode also where he says this is your Glee club and then it goes into you get what you give. Corey was always to me the character that represented the audience to most. He was new to the world of great episode one that's kind of like us, and we were on the journey with him. There's so many scenes with different characters like Santana and Unique Mercedes, Quinn Marley that stand out so much, which you can almost think that was probably written based on Corey's friendships as well, that you can see the love and the care and the banter, the love that everything. Corey was so special for many many reasons, and the day we found out what happened over here in England, my family all came together. Glee was a show we all watched as a family and it was the first time we had a shared grief for a celebrity that as a family as well. The episode that was dedicated to him we watched as a family and it affected us all different emotional ways and as we get that. Every year on his anniversary and his birthdays, I do some kind of post about Corey and I will continue to do so because he was an idol.
Speaker 24: He was.
Speaker 23: He was Glee to me. The question you always ask people is what feed Glee leaves you with. Glee will always leave me with love and happiness that comes from the cast members, especially Corey. Thank you for listening to my story.
Speaker 25: Thank you, Hey, guys, it's free from the fan fiction episode. I just wanted to pop on and say a few things about Corey. You know, I think we know that he was a really special person, and what I've really enjoyed is hearing stories about him from you guys and others who have worked with him, because it shed such a beautiful light on him and as a human and what he brought to the world. And I know for me that that information has really been so special and incredible to hear because it feels like we're continuing to get to know him in a way. I could sit here and tell you that I know exactly where I was when when I heard the news and exactly how I felt. But there's kind of something else that's really important to me that I wanted to touch upon, because what I think is really unique about the situation is that for a lot of us, we lost two people right because of what they did in the show. So we lost Corey and we also lost Finn and fans had to sort of grieve two losses at the same time because they are two different people.
Speaker 26: But what's also.
Speaker 25: Unique is that, you know, usually when we lose someone in our lives, we often feel is that person is sort of frozen in time, sort of the only thing we tend to think about or the memories we have up until that person left us. But in this case, and really with Nya as well, is you know, they continue to live on through storytelling, particularly in.
Speaker 27: The fan fiction world.
Speaker 25: I know that fans, myself included, have really utilized the ability to continue to write for these characters, giving them sort of new experiences and creating new worlds for them every single day, and I think that's such a special way to honor them and give the comfort that's somehow you know, they're still with us in a way, no matter what you believe or don't believe on a deeper level, but they sort of exist in that world, and while we can't bring them back, we can continue to do what we can to keep their memories and their characters alive, which I think is really incredible. So thanks for having me back, and I hope all is well for you.
Speaker 24: Bye.
Speaker 20: Hello. So my name is Joanna. I'm from Bavaria in Germany and I'm a big Glee fan since the beginning when it first aired in two thousand and nine. And I really really liked character Finn and also Cory because when he played his character, he was so dirty all the time and he always brought a smile to our faces. And the funniest thing I think was his dancing because I'm a dancer myself and seeing him trying his very absolute beast was absolutely hilarious. So every time I'm not in a good mood or something, I watched Glee and I'm pretty happy again.
Speaker 28: Hi, Jenna and Keavin. My name is Sidney. I'm from on her New Jersey. I'm so honored to be a part of today's episode and I absolutely love your podcast. I look forward to it every single week. I wanted to share one of my favorite Finn moments from the show, and honestly my favorite Glee episode ever, which has to be Girled Cheese, as anytime I make a girl cheese and or eat one, I constantly think of this episode. I feel like this episode truly captured not just Finn as a character, but Corey's goofy and outgoing personality. It is truly, again one of my favorite episodes and I reference it all the time. I recommend it to friends who have never seen this show. It is just iconic. And since listening to the podcast, I've loved hearing all the amazing stories castmates and guest stars and previous co stars have told about Corey. He truly was one of a kind. I'm thinking of him always. I'm thinking of our quarterback always and again, I'm so honored to be a part of today's episode. I love you guys so much.
Speaker 21: Hey, So, this is Dave from London and I just want to say about how Finn reminded me of like all of my straight friends who stood up for me. And it was absolutely heartbreaking to hear about Corey. And I think what they should all know and they should people should always remember is he was there for people and he made you feel loved and seen. Like hearing you guys talk about him and how he was like the leader is it just makes things amazing. Thanks for the podcast, all the love. This is Dave from London. All right, love love.
Speaker 24: Hi Owe.
Speaker 29: My name is Chastity. I'm from New Jersey and I am a Gleek. I started watching Lee as an adult. I was hooked from the music and definitely stayed for everything else. The characters, the storyline, the actors. I have to say, I think my favorite coupling or favorite actors or characters I guess on the show, We're definitely Finchel. I loved the whole Finn Rachel Quinn dynamic. I loved having a little Puck in there, and even in later seasons having that Rachel, Finn and Brody kind of dynamic. I loved listening to Finn and Rachel sing. I really feel like their voices meshed so nicely together. My favorite song from Finn would have to be Jesse's Girl. I think anytime where you have Corey mont teeth in his element with the drums and just his singing and the way that song tied in with the storyline, it definitely was a performance that I really enjoyed watching, and you can see how his character matured throughout the seasons. From season one to season four. You got to see even just how Corey Montite's voice changed over the seasons as well. So it was definitely something that was fun to watch, and from performance to performance, I feel like it was.
Speaker 5: Just something that kept you.
Speaker 30: He kind of kept you.
Speaker 29: Coming back for more and seeing you know kind of where that storyline was gonna go. Being that I was late to the game, I was not aware of Corey as an actor until Lee.
Speaker 31: But from a lot.
Speaker 29: Of the interviews that I've seen and just hearing Jenna and Kevin talk about him, outside of being Finn and being a great actor on Glee, it sounded like he was a really wonderful person, a caring individual. I've heard nothing but nice things said about him on podcasts and interviews, and it's just sad to know that we'll never know what he could have been capable of.
Speaker 16: Hi.
Speaker 30: My name is Spencer and I'm from Lexington, Kentucky. When I think of Corey and Finn, I think of one word heart. Both of them were the heart of Glee, and that extended beyond the cast and the crew to us fans as well. The kindness that Corey showed others was unparalleled, and I love that he used his platform to openly share his past struggles, letting others know that they weren't alone and our own battles. Seeing a character like Finn the All American High school jock except and champion those who were different than him was monumental for me to see as a gay man growing up. It reminded me that people aren't always what they seem on the surface, and sometimes your support system can come from the most surprising places. Beyond that acceptance for the outcasts, Finn also reminded fans that it was okay to make mistakes because at the end of the day, that's how you grow and you do better going forward. Over a decade later, I still think back on the lessons Corey and Finn taught me, and much like the star Finn gifts Rachel for Christmas, I like to think that Corey Monteith is up there somewhere reminding us all to lead with love.
Speaker 32: Hi.
Speaker 33: My name is Kathy and I'm from Temecula, California. My favorite Finn solo is Losing My Religion. Corey did such a great job on the song, and after he passed, whenever I listened to the song, I can't help but tear up listening to it. And I remember when the Quarterback episode air, I dvr'd it, but I couldn't watch it.
Speaker 34: It was just too sad.
Speaker 33: For me to watch. It when it first air, so I waited until the show came back from the hiatus with Katie Versus Gaga episode, and I'm glad I waited to watch it, even though it was so unhinge of Glee to follow up the Quarterback episode with the outrageous Katie Gaga episode. I was so sot after watching the Quarterback that the chaos of Katie Gaga was exactly what I needed to get me out of this badness. All right, love you guys.
Speaker 15: Hi, Kevin, and Jenna, This is Alexa in New York City. I think that my favorite Finn moment from the show was probably his relationship with Kurt and seeing how they went from strangers to classmates and teammates to brothers. I wish we did get to see a little bit more of their home life together, but I feel like watching kind of the character development that they both went through together, as well as that their parents went through, was just so interesting to see. And I really enjoyed the storyline on the show. And I also just wanted to say that I have always loved hearing everyone who's ever worked with Corey met Corey, even just briefly, always has the same things to say about him. They always are saying that he, you know, was so kind, so welcoming, so approachable, and I think that that's just very telling of the kind of person that he was. And it was very comforting to hear for me when I was thirteen when he passed away, and that was kind of the first experience that I had had with grief, especially for someone that I had never met before, I had never interacted with. It wasn't someone that I personally knew. He was just somebody that I knew through my TV and I just think that it was such a complicated time for me, and I can only imagine how it was for the people who truly knew him and were loved by him. But I just think that it has been so comforting over the last decade to hear just about the amazing person that he was.
Speaker 35: Hi, Jenna and Kevin, my name is Charlotte and I'm from the UK, in Yorkshire, so hopefully you can all understand my Yorkshire accent to me. Carey, whilst Gley and He was the leader of the show, he was the hot of the show. You can see it through the way that everyone talks about him on the podcast.
Speaker 36: You and all your guests.
Speaker 35: It was clear that he was well loved by many, including fan and I think my favorite moments were the bodline up and your Heart performance. Him and Leah performing that in the Madonna episode is one of my favorite performances. It's my top played Glee song on Spotify, which might be controversial, I'm not sure. And then also the graduation Superlatives behind the scenes interview where they asked who has the hottest spoty and he really quickly says Leah Michelle and does that little adorable half smoke smile, which I just love so much.
Speaker 4: Is so cute.
Speaker 9: Hi, this is Nina from the Netherlands. What I loved about the character of Finn was his kind heart, earnestness, and endearing naivete. Corey's portrayal really made him more multi dimensional than the typical jock attractive male lead character. I thought he was especially good at the balance between drama, silliness and romance that the character needed. The Girl Cheeses episode sticks out to me specifically as one of my favorites. Yank, Shannon and Kevin for taking us behind the scenes of the show with you and curious to hear your thoughts on season five.
Speaker 7: Hi, I'm Carla or Carla as the North Americans say. I am from Perth, Western Australia, but I currently live in Vancouver, Canada, working in the film industry or attempting to. I'm from the same place as Mike's Mike one of your very popular guests, and I'm a big fan of him as well. My favorite memory and just like experience with watching Glee growing up and Corey slash Finn is kind of just how genuine Finn's character was, which you could tell was partly Corey coming through. I think, especially in the later seasons when he was acting alongside Rachel or Leah. I get really emotional watching the later seasons because you can just tell hell in love they are. I started watching Glee when I was eight. I am now twenty three. It is still my comfort show. It was there for me when I didn't really have friends and I was bullied. I also am a lesbian, so it did some good with the representation. I won't lie. I miss Corey and Naya a lot. I think being in Vancouver, I feel really connected and I think about Corey often. Also. I started watching the show when I was in grade three. Insane, I know, But in grade five I started playing percussion slash drums, and I think subconsciously Glee slash Corey had a bit of an influence on me, and I still play drums and I really love it. And I just loved the scenes where Corey as Finn is playing drums and singing. You can tell he's in his element. And yeah, Glee is still my comfort show and I miss Corey a lot, but I think about often, especially when I'm walking in the Vancouver streets. Sending love to Sam and Jenna and Kevin. Thank you for the podcast. Glee has continued to be here for me in many years, over ten years, and I'm very grateful to be a part of this.
Speaker 16: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Hey, this is Ian alred Hi. I'm Lena Kanatzer, and we're the co hosts of the podcast Recovering Gleek.
Speaker 36: Our podcast is all about how much Glee meant to us growing up and revisiting those feelings as adults, and something that has come across while we've been rewatching the show is how much Finn means to us. So genuinely, from the bottom of our hearts, thank you so much for giving us this chance to talk about him like this.
Speaker 1: What I love most about Finn Hudson is how human he is as a character. He feels like a real teenager when the show starts. He is deeply insecure, He lets his emotions get the best of him, he puts his foot in his mouth. He really messes up at times, but at him his core, he has an incredibly genuine and earnest heart and just wants to be a good guy who does the right thing. And watching him go on the transformation from deeply insecure fifteen year old who's way in over his head and is incredibly scared to then becoming the coach of the new directions, being an advocate for these kids, leading them, standing up for them. It's so beautiful to watch. And Corey puts so much heart and sincerity into his betrayal of this character that even when he messes up, I cannot help but root for Finn every step of the way. I see that at his core he is good, and at his core he wants to do the right thing, and I'm cheering for him every single step of that journey.
Speaker 36: One of my favorite plot lines of all of Glee. Genuinely ever is the Furt plot line. I am from a blended family. I also see a lot of myself in Kurt and like as and also as a person who sees myself as like a member of the Glee club. It is like so special to me the journey that Finn goes on with Kurt. I think about him singing for Kurt at the wedding. I think about him standing up for Kurt in born this way. I think about Kurt showing all of them his prom kilt and Finn calling it gay, brave heart. As a weird kid, it is, I don't know, speaks to a weird dream of having the coolest person you know, the coolest, most popular person in school, choose you, choose to be your friend, stick up for you, show you their heart and give space for yours. And I don't think any of that could have been possible without Corey's heart. And I'm just I love Finn. He means so much to me.
Speaker 26: Hey guys, my name is Mylin and of from Nutre. I discovered Glee during the second half of season one. My English teacher is the one who told me about the show. He would play the music all the time during class and we even put on a Glee show for the entire school during our eighth grade year. During that time, Jesse's Girl was my favorite song, which I don't think is a coincidence. Since that year, I also realized that I was bisexual. During season three, when Santana was going through her coming out story, I was facing something very similar at home, and I had this routine of whenever I was feeling angry or sad, I would watch the Nationals episode from season three and then follow it up with the Glee Concert DVD. And every time Corey would appear on my TV singing Jesse's Girl and I would see that bright smile, all of those negative emotions will fade away. I never met him, but he had a way of showing his heart through the show, and I felt that as a fan, he was there for me too. I'm always going to keep his memory and what he did for me very close to my heart. I thank you guys for the show, for being a part of it, and for this podcast. Thank you guys so much.
Speaker 22: Hi.
Speaker 37: I'm Montana and I'm from Melbourne, Australia. I started watching Glee when I was twelve years old, so think in two thousand and nine. I want to preface this by saying I never met Corey personally, but as a longtime viewer, it seemed that there were so many similarities between Finn as a character and Corey as a person. From watching the show and from all accounts of people who knew and loved him in real life. The goofiness and genuineness and vulnerability that Corey put into Finn, it seemed to me like that was really indicative of just how good Corey was as a person on and off screen. And as viewers, we didn't just love the character's huge heart, we really loved that the person behind the character had a huge heart too. And on a personal note, as a musician and a singer who also kind of stumbled accidentally into being a front man, not unlike both Corey and Finn, he was a huge inspa like to all budding artists to follow their raw, innate talent and let the show go all over the place or something.
Speaker 38: Hi, Jenna and Kevin. My name is Louise. I'm Irish. I live in Ireland and I'm not going to say how old, but I'm probably a lot older than most of your regular geeks. I remember the day Corey died so well, I couldn't believe it. Well, to be honest, I still can't believe it because when I watch Glee now, he's so larger than life and so alive and so I don't know, so real, so genuine. I mean, he always came across as being such genuine, real person. Maybe like most viewers, I didn't know anything about his struggles with addiction, and you know, it stound me now to think that he had been going through something like you know, his addictions are dealing with the addiction and still turning in such great performances on the set, and you know, dealing with all of the pressure you all were under to get through, you know, learning lines and and singing and dancing all at the same time, and you know, like the regular showtime that people had to do. And I remember the day he died, myself and my kids had gone to the concert in Dublin, the first concert I think it was, and it was amazing. We had the best time and you know, we were all all there singing along and what have you. And then I think that was in twenty eleven, and then two years later I remember, like I walke the kids up to tell them, and it was it was hard because I think that was the first celebrity death they had they knew of, and especially someone we kind of thought we knew, you know, the way you see them on television, you think you know somebody, and they were they were very upset and it was a difficult conversation to have with them, you know, as to what had happened to Corey. And I have to say that listening to the podcast this last for for series four, it's been kind of hard listening to because I know what's coming, and you know, I think most people do. And but what really made me happy listening to your podcast is that anytime anyone has been asked about Corey, you know, it aligns with what I think or what I think he was like that everyone points to the fact that he was such a kind person, such an honest, genuine person person. And yes, he's really really missed by the people who knew him, and obviously the fans and everything. And I'm sorry for your loss. It's been a long time, but I'm sorry for your loss. It must have been really hard for everyone who knew and loved him. If it was hard for us fans, who didn't know him anyway. Thank you very much.
Speaker 32: Hi, Jena and Kevin. This is Joseph from the Philippines and I am a huge, huge, huge fan of Glee. I watched a show during its run while I was still a teenager, and I'm so glad I had to go through high school with and with Finn. Well, Finn is such an amazing guy. I look up to him. He was a great leader. He has wisdom, He's very wise, he knows what to do, he knows what to say, and what I love most about him is he puts passion in everything he does. He can see he's a passionate guy with football, with delete club, when he's with his friends, everything. Such an overall amazing guy. Plus his talent, Wow, I really love listening to his songs. So his voice, he's very moving and I love his entire character art in the show. And despite in season four he was quite lost, he can still see the wisdom in him. He was a great teacher to the new directions. And I'm just so happy that his season four ended with him going to college pursuing a degree in education. And I'd like to think that was his ending. He would have been a great teacher, definitely, and with Corey, based on her stories, I can also see he's a great guy and much like the Finn, and I'm so glad he existed. I'm thankful for his assistance and for his life. Thank you so much for including me on this. I wish I could have thought more about believing you guys, but yeah, more power to their podcast, and thank you so much by.
Speaker 34: Hi, Jenna Kevin and producer Sam. My name's Lauren and I'm from Melbourne, Australia. If I had to pick a memory of Corey, it would probably be this specific clip of Corey and Diana from the Glee video Diaries that missed to get posted on YouTube. I always remember the clip of them filming each other and they just cut back and forth saying, I'm.
Speaker 14: Filming you film and me filming you film and me.
Speaker 34: Those ones always made me laugh and always kind of just reminded me that Corey always found joy in such little things. But I think no matter if he was on screen as Finn or off screen as Corey, the immense joy and happiness that his presence brought to the lives of so many people was second to none. Whether you knew him personally or you were just a fan like me, felt like he was a long lost friend who could always make you laugh. When I think of Corey, I can only ever think about his smile and his ability to bring joy to those around him. I didn't know him personally, but I feel like he could never say anything bad about the kind of person that he was. Corey had a unique voice and was truly such a gift to the world, and I hope together we can all remember him.
Speaker 24: Hey, Jen, I Kevin. My name is Isabella and I'm from a small town in West Virginia. I just wanted to say thanks for allowing me to speak about Corey for his Tribe episode. I don't know how difficult it must be to you know, I really have that time in your olds lives, but I really appreciate and love the fact that you guys always try and keep Corey's memory alive. I unfortunately never doubt the opportunity to meet Corey, But in like this weird sense, I kind of I kind of feel like I knew a piece of him. I think he was just that kind of person you know that no matter who you are, he would just make you feel welcome and see. He always seemed to exude such like a positive energy, and he seems so magnetic towards anyone and was just so willing to basically be an icon for people at you know, like such a young age. He just seemed like such a down to earth and loving guy with an immense talent, which I think is still underrated, but you know, just a genuine talent that's that's so rare to find these days. But he also seemed like someone who's had a lot happened to him in his life, and you know, I'm sure he didn't show or talk about it often, which I think that might be the main reason why I feel like I relate to him the most. As for Finn, though, you know, no matter how dumb or lost he seemed at times, he was always willing to take on the role of the leader who cared about his friends. He wasn't a saint, and he made a lot of mistakes, but that's just what made his character human. And I really love that he started off as that stereotypical job who only cared about football and girls, but ended up breaking his status quo and went after his passions. So I always invironed him for that uh and invited him for taking on that role. But for one specific storyline throughout the show that's always impacted me the most was when Finn and Kurt like lost both of their parents. That really resonated with me because Lee was a show I started watching back back in two thousand and mine and I would watch it with my parents every single week. But in twenty eleven, I was unfortunately in an accident and lost both of my parents. So, you know, going back and watching some of these scenes that I've watched before a few years later when I found Lee again, Cory's performance just, you know, I could still bring me to tears no matter how many times I've seen it, and he was just so natural and effortless when it came to those heavier and emotional scenes, And I personally think that's where he truly shined the most. Like he just left such an impact on not just me, but so many people like I can't speak for everybody, but his performance throughout the show has really helped me get through a lot of hard times and by just remembering that there will always be struggles along the way. So I'm obviously harder than others, but to just keep looking forward and I don't want to get cheesy, but you know, to just keep believing in something. But you know, it's still a little incomprehensible to me, like how a show and a person I've never met can have such a lasting impact on my life and he really had a hand in shaping him. I am today and sended you guys, but I just wanted to say that there's so many people who have gone through tragedy and it it really means a lot to me personally that you all are still so close.
Speaker 39: Hey, guys, it's from the Netherlands. I think as a fan in your teens of the show and of the cast, it felt very validating to know that whatever you think about the people that you're a fan of is actually true. And Corey just seemed like the absolute nicest and kindest person, and everything that everybody has ever said about him, like before and after his passing, was always the same thing, and that is that he was indeed very nice, very kind, very welcoming to people, even to paparazzi when it really didn't have to be, Like I remember videos of that time when they were following you guys, around tour and he was just nice to them and asked them how they were. Like, I feel like he really didn't have to be that nice, and he still was, so it was It's just lovely to see and to know that he was a very kind person, and that's how I will always remember him. Love you guys.
Speaker 40: Hey, guys, my name is Bronson ray Byerley and I'm from Sara Sota, Florida. I'm currently on my twelfth rewatch of Glee. If I had to choose one of my favorite Finn songs, it would be Jesse's Girl. Hands down. That performance was on a whole other level. His voice and his confidence were top notch and made me see why Quinn and Rachel were both so in love with him. One thing that I've always loved about Finn is who he represents to me. Finn represents all the people out in the world that don't know what the future holds or know how to get to the next step. And although he's struggling on the inside, he's still out there supporting all of his friends and their successes. Most of the time, Finn was the only character that felt the most realistic within the satire that Glee is him being on top of the world out one moment and hitting rock bottom the next. Is truly the high school experience, at least the one I had. Sure he made some mistakes along the way, but at the end of the day, we all do. Glee Fan and Corey will forever have a special place in my heart. Thank you so much.
Speaker 41: Hi, Jenna and Kevin. My name is and I am from New Jersey. I probably first watched Glee when I was too young to be watching it. I started watching it around the time it had started, so I would have been in elementary school and I'm twenty five now. But it is a show that has stuck with me and that I have greatly enjoyed. I still listen to the recordings and watch the performances to this day, and I the podcast so much. I think a big part of why I enjoyed the show was Cory's character and getting to see Finn integrate himself into the glee.
Speaker 33: Club and.
Speaker 41: Navigating high school as an athlete and also as a part of this club that became a sort of chosen family. And of course I enjoyed seeing his performances, and one that stuck with me was when he's sang I'll stand by you. And season one it was quite early on, so perhaps that's why it stuck with me. But of course he had iconic moment such as grilled cheesus, and it was a joy to see the bond that he and Kurt had. You could tell that Corey put a lot of heart and soul into his performance as VN and you know that has really stuck with me, and hearing the stories of how Corey was as a person has stuck with me as well. Thank you, Take care.
Speaker 6: Hi Kevin, Hi Jenna. My name is Barr and I'm twenty six years old. So I started watching Glee when I was twelve. I was a shy, super nerdy girl, and that made me an easy target for bullies. Unfortunately, when I found Glee, I obviously saw myself in a lot of the underdog characters, but I remember really identifying with Finn and his struggles between doing what he loves and desperately wanting.
Speaker 37: To fit in.
Speaker 6: Since I didn't have a real life Finn or Glee club of my own who could have helped me stand up to some of the people at my school, I eventually decided to switch schools and start fresh. I could have used this opportunity to kind of like alter my personality to make sure I fit in with the popular kids, but I decided to stay tued of myself, kind of like Fin did. This of me not only find my own group of loyal and loving friends who accepted me for who I was, but I also got to help them because they all say to the day that they were inspired by my insistent to be authentic and by my refusal to give in to social norms. And I have Finn and Corey and Glee to thank for that. I love you guys so much. Thank you for this podcast. It really does bring me so much joy.
Speaker 31: Hi there, This is Josh from New York. Big fan of the podcast and huge fan of Glee obviously, So I heard you guys were doing a Corey tribute episode, and I just wanted to share a story from one of the times I had the pleasure of meeting Corey back in the Glee Heyday. In July twenty eleven, me and some friends made a road trip out to Hershey Park to see Corey and his band Bonnie Dune, who were performing some of their new songs. Hearing and playing the drums live felt so special. He had such a passion for performing, and it was such a memorable moment for me. Finn was always my favorite character on the show for a number of reasons. I found him so relatable and obviously so charming. I got a chance to see both of the Glee tours, but Bonnie Dune was a different kind of energy. After the show, the band did a free me and greet signing a poster, and we were all told ahead of time that Corey would not be doing any pictures at the event. Well, it turns out not only did he take pictures with anyone who asked, but he had the hugest smile in his face the entire time. He even thanked us for coming all the way from New York. He was just the sweetest human and I never had a bad interaction with him. I still think Finn was the beating heart of Glee, and I'm really looking forward to visiting the rest of the series. I know that he is no longer in season five and six, but you can really feel his spirit still present and everything that remains. So I'm excited to revisit and thank you for letting me share my story.
Speaker 27: Hi, my name is Brinn and I am from Toronto in Canada, and getting to meet Corey a few times as a child will forever be some of my fondest memories. Clee was and still continues to be such a huge part of my life and it taught me so much about who I am. After meeting Corey for the first time, he invited my family and I to fly out and visit the set in California, something we immediately said yes to. This was not something he needed to do in any way, shape or form. It was something he was doing because he knew what it would mean to me and my sister as kids, and how special that would be for us to experience that. When we got there, he had a whole tent set up for us. We sat on and he brought people over one by one to meet us, and it truly is one of the best memories I have in my life. This day, to me, is such an example of who Corey was as a person. He was so giving and kind and caring, and this was not something he needed to do, but he did it out of love and care for the people around him, and his loss is one of the greatest we've ever experienced, but we're so lucky to have had him in this show that still lives on to this day.
Speaker 5: Hello, Kevin and Jenna. It's Andrew from Glick the Week podcast. I want to thank you for having myself and other fans on to talk about Corey, but also thank you for being so vulnerable to discuss the quarterback episode and all of the feelings, those very messy feelings that come along with it. Admittedly, Finn wasn't one of my favorite characters while the show was on the air. I often got super frustrated that he continued to step in it and say the wrong thing constantly. But through the process of rewatching as an adult and dissecting the series with other fans, I realized that Finn is no different than any one of us, constantly making mistakes, and sometimes the same mistakes so many times over, Finn always persevered do mainly impart to all of his great friends in the Glee Club. And just like the Glee Club, the gleef fandom has been with each other through thick and thin. And while grief is possibly the world's most confusing and often frustrating emotion to live with, particularly in this case, someone that you've never had the privilege of meeting, but still had such a colossal impact on our lives. One of the silver linings of the tragedies that have taken place within this fandom is that you're not alone. Every last fan of the series is processing their grief at their own pace, but never alone. Everyone I've had the opportunity to chat with from the show never shies away from singing his good graces. It's so evident how much he loved Glee, the fans and the both of you, and I know that Corey loves that you're doing this.
Speaker 3: Those were really lovely stories and memories. It just goes to show how loved and adored that Corey truly, truly was.
Speaker 2: Thank you again to everyone who took the time to record these messages and to send them and to be so vulnerable with us and willing to share them with you know, all the Gleeks. We appreciate it so so much.
Speaker 14: That's what you really missed.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening and follow us on Instagram at and that's what you really miss pod. Make sure to write us a review and leave us five stars. See you next time.