Speaker 1: Native Land Pod is a production of iHeartRadio in partnership with Reason Choice Media.
Speaker 2: Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome.
Speaker 3: Hey bam, You're about to hear a replay of one of our interviews from our live stream at the Democratic National Convention.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 3: If you want to listen to or watch the full stream, be sure to check out links in the episode description. You can also find a full list of all the guests we've interviewed. Welcome home, y'all.
Speaker 4: We have majority leader Chuck Schumer, who's joining us now. Quite a big difference from just a few weeks ago.
Speaker 5: Huh, oh man, are we cooking? Cooking it?
Speaker 6: I have been at every convention since nineteen eighty four. None is as happy, none is as unified, and none is as committing to win as this.
Speaker 5: One that's going all away. That's right, It is so great. I cannot tell you given more than eight and more than eight.
Speaker 6: Even because you know why, there's a that we have the pause, if we have Kamala, we have walls.
Speaker 5: But you know there's a negative.
Speaker 6: We cannot let that son of a gun get back into office.
Speaker 5: So it's both ways.
Speaker 7: Hey, bitch man, say son of a bit, that's okay, that's okay.
Speaker 5: The son of a gun, Okay, son of a gun.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna tell you that that president is no efing good.
Speaker 5: How sad you know, Senator, you introduce him from Brooklyn. You know we use these words. You know, I like that you introduced that and no King Zach.
Speaker 7: After the Supreme Court presidential ruling and in light of the Supreme Court recent rulings, how concerned are you about them potentially interfering in this election? Because you know, Donald Trump's gonna sound you bet. Trump has no principles, he has no morals.
Speaker 6: He will do anything he can to win, no matter what corner he has to cut, no matter how many rules and laws he has to break. That's why he's going to go to jail, but in it because of the previous stuff he's done. And so let me just say, we are vigilant. We got the best election lawyers on the case. We are training thousands of lawyers. We are making sure on election day they don't screw around and deter people from voting. You know what they used to do, they used to tell they used to send out an African American neighborhoods voting day has been changed. Vote Thursday. These guys won't stop in anything. That's what the Republicans used to do. But we are now prepared. We were not prepared years ago.
Speaker 5: We are majority Leader Schumer.
Speaker 4: You know one question that I have for you, based on what you just said, I think is so important because folks regularly are donating to campaigns or to campaign committees, and you're just talking about training a bunch of lawyers. Is that some of the ways that you all are using the contribution this.
Speaker 6: Money is using every way, obviously TV, obviously digital.
Speaker 5: But we're getting out to vote.
Speaker 6: You know, the best way to get out to vote, particularly among our young people who aren't voting that much, knocking on doors and explaining it better than an ad, better than anything. We're putting close to half our money into door knocking and talking to people. But we're also putting our money into just what Charlemagne said, and that is preventing them from stealing this election.
Speaker 5: They'll stop at nothing.
Speaker 7: Why are more people in your position just calling out the Supreme Court as a illegitimate institution?
Speaker 6: They should, you know, the right wing, these very rich, greedy people who didn't want to pay any taxes, who didn't want the government to do any you know, they said, I built my company with my own hands, although half of them inherited it, And they say, how dare your government tell me how I had to treat my workers, my customers, or the land and air and water that I own.
Speaker 5: That's what they did. And they realized, Charlemagne that they.
Speaker 6: Couldn't get this done even when they controlled the elected branches of government House, Senate, because they were and president, because it was so far to the f and right, so far to the right, and so they tried to take over the courts. We have an obligation to try and stop them. The Supreme Court is a more rass now who would have thought of this, the ethics of that court. So these rich fact rich people are paying for or cars for trips at the same time they're paying somebody to some law firm to go to lawyer and make their case.
Speaker 5: That is outrageous.
Speaker 6: And I'll tell you who should we should blame, among others, the Chief Justice John Roberts, who once said he's calling balls and strikes. He could stop this with the flick of his pen. Where the hell is he? Literal mates?
Speaker 5: I just want to.
Speaker 2: So the President has made it a stated goal to get reform on the Supreme Court. I'm just I what's your prognosis for a week between now lamed uck and obviously a new presidency?
Speaker 6: Framed uncle hard because the Republicans control the House, a few right wingers seem to run the show and they will stop at nothing to keep the court the way it is.
Speaker 5: But if we and please vote, vote, vote, vote.
Speaker 6: If we keep the Senate, win the House, win the presidency, Supreme Court reform is going to be at the top of our agenda because we cannot let these unelected people take away women's rights, take away others.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 6: You know, we talk about freedom. They used to talk about freedom. They don't believe in freedom.
Speaker 5: We do.
Speaker 6: So we also believe in economic freedom. We believe you should have a good education so you can get a decent job. Freedom to be able to pick your job. We talk about freedom to be able to afford a house.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 6: One of the great things Kamala just did. Kamala just did is this young people. A lot of young people have enough money to pay the monthly mortgage, but they don't have any money for.
Speaker 5: The down payment.
Speaker 6: Yeah, no, one can save that much these days, and so what she said, what Kamala said is very simple. Twenty five thousand bucks the federal government, if you're a first time home buyer, to help you with that down payment. People when they hear that, particularly the younger people, when we have to make sure vote, they're.
Speaker 5: Gonna love that.
Speaker 6: She knows what she's talking about. I knew her in the Senate. She was great.
Speaker 5: I'm sorry glad to no no.
Speaker 3: I was actually gonna piggyback on your question about the Court. You know, Charlie called it an illegitimate institution, and I have to echo that sentiment for the people out there who may not understand the severity of what is the power of this court and what they've done, what specifically can be done as soon as possible. Do we expand the courts? That has to go through the Senate. If we do, I mean because at this point our democratic institutions are corona.
Speaker 6: The first step in getting it, getting rid of the morass on the court is to vote.
Speaker 5: Because if they keep.
Speaker 6: The House, if they win the Senate, or if they win the predsidency, any one of the three, they will block it. They will fight for this court but once we get it, there are very There are a lot of proposals out there on the table. There's expanding the court, there's term limits, there's I have a proposal that's much simpler. It's limiting their jurisdiction in certain areas. You know, Justice Alito said, Congress can't regulate the courts. Well, pardon me, sir, mister justice. You didn't either read or understand the Constitution. That's what it says it explicitly in this right. And so we can do that relatively easily and limit the kind of jurisdiction that they have.
Speaker 8: But they expanded the fact that you got a justice who's prepared to expand the power of the court do their own word or do their own written opinion, absolutely with no accountability, no teeth and ethics, and you know why to hold them.
Speaker 6: Account In the past, maybe people said they'll never get it done.
Speaker 5: Well, we saw what happened with choice. Absolutely.
Speaker 6: We heard what one of the justices I think it was, I can't remember which one. Maybe it was Justice Thomas. He said, next is gay rights. He sure did gay marriage, but.
Speaker 4: He's not gonna go after biracial marriage exactly.
Speaker 6: You never know what You never know what these guys will do, but he can'tone. The hypocrisy of these folks is so large you can't hold them to any standard consistency. Look at this when justice, when Mitch McConnell said that you should you don't can't vote on a justice within about six months before the election a year and then there was another vacancy and he puts someone in several a month before. If no consistency, they will do anything to keep this court UH intact because they know that their agenda is so filling the writing that no one will accept it in the elected branches. This has to be You are right, This has to be one of our biggest fights.
Speaker 7: But doesn't it take more courage from Democrats when it comes to situations like that. Democrats have a reputation for being cowards because they don't push back on things like.
Speaker 5: Well, hey Charlemagne, I'm from Brooklyn.
Speaker 4: We fight, so I want to just say Senator Schumer staff is waving him down so hard he almost lost his train of thought.
Speaker 5: I am afraid of my staff.
Speaker 4: We are so grateful for your time tonight. Thank you, thank you, the majority of the leader Schumer, we are looking let me just.
Speaker 6: Say, folks, on to victory. We must win to future this country, the future of the world, democracy depends on this. And and by the way, can I just say, one of the very first things we're going to do if we keep the get the power is put the John Lewis Right Voting Rights Act, the Freedom to Vote Act, on the floor of the Senate, changing those rules, and we will get it done.
Speaker 5: I love it, I love it. Thank you. We appreciate your sentiment. All that.
Speaker 4: Careful.
Speaker 5: We got a big agenda. We got it. We need to be in there.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much.
Speaker 6: Last time we had the power, we had the most successful congress, most sexual presidency. Give Joe Biden credits since Johnson and maybe since Roosevelt. It'll happen again even more. You ain't seen you ain't seen nothing yet to.
Speaker 4: Okay, be careful, Thank you, Thank you so much for joining.
Speaker 5: Thank you for doing this.
Speaker 4: Chuck Schumer, who the majority leader in the United States Senate, wapping him up as he departs. This is Native Lampard in partnership with Breakfast Club, and we are getting ready to welcome our next guest. But in the meantime, be careful. Senator Schumer, that step is insane.
Speaker 7: Schumer said he agrees with expanding the Supreme Court.
Speaker 4: Yes, he did, and we also asked for some reparations. Uh, we also asked for a reparations. Be able to hit that floor.
Speaker 5: We'll see.
Speaker 4: Be careful that that somebody up.
Speaker 3: Thanks for listening to you, guys. Please please please remember to rate, review, subscribe, and tune into our regular episode on Thursdays. Welcome home, y'all.
Speaker 1: Native Land Pod is a production of iHeartRadio in partnership with Resent Choice Media. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows,