Speaker 1: I think clearly the word that it's in all our heads right now is galliaphobia, right. I mean, that's obvious. The irrational fear of sharks.
Speaker 2: That's the word for irrational fear of sharks.
Speaker 3: That's it's called being afraid of sharks.
Speaker 2: I mean it is rational. I'm John Ceipher.
Speaker 3: And I'm Jerry o'she I.
Speaker 2: Served in the CIA's Clandestine Service for twenty eight years, living undercover all around the world.
Speaker 1: And in my thirty three years with the CIA, I served in Africa, Asia, Europe, and the Middle East.
Speaker 2: Although we don't usually look at it this way, we created conspiracies in our operations.
Speaker 1: We got people to believe things that weren't true.
Speaker 2: Now we're investigating the conspiracy theories we see in the news almost every day.
Speaker 1: Will break them down for you to determine whether they could be real or whether we're being manipulated.
Speaker 2: Welcome the mission implausibles.
Speaker 1: So one of the things I really like about today's conspiracy is that people realize when you first walk into the agency, depending on which door you use, but if for insiders, if you use the Berlin Wall door right entrance and you come in off to the right, we have a small museum, and in the museum there's this case and there's a fish in there, and the fish had a camera in it. And this is from the nineteen seventies and I think certainly declassified now, but the CIA was using an aquatic animal to gather intelligence, right, And I always wondered, after the movie Jaws came out, how we could like bring this small little fish and put it together with this with Bruce the movie Shark.
Speaker 2: So yeah, so today's episode has to do with a variety of things. Has to do with sharks, it has to do with Israel, a place where you spent some time, and it has to do with Russia, a place where I spent quite a bit of time. And so it should be fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think parts of it will be jumping the shark, and I'm really looking forward to getting into it.
Speaker 3: You can't help yourself, I can't.
Speaker 4: I love it.
Speaker 3: It's a dad joke thing.
Speaker 2: So let me let me try to just give you a sense of this soul. The conspiracy is that Israel had trained sharks to attack Russian tourists that were swimming in Egypt in order to hurt the Egyptian tourist industry. And so just to this, the background of this is in December twenty ten, there were several shark attacks that occurred off the South Sinai resort of sharmel Shak in Egypt, and shortly thereafter there was ajoe on Egyptian TV where this captain Mustafa, who was a professional diver, supposedly commented that the sharks who were involved in the attack were normal ocean sharks, in other words, not the ones that normally reside off the waters of Egypt. And the commentary went on to say that they discovered a small shark which was implanted with a GPS device and alleged that the GPS device founded one of the sharks was in fact a quote guiding device planted by Israeli agents.
Speaker 1: Now I'm not one hundred percent sure why they would do that, because they're not at war really with the Egyptians, and they seems to me Israel would actually want to have a prosperous Egypt, not a desperate Egypt sort of at their throat. Now I remember, and I don't have this at my fingertips, but in Iran, and this is where it gets sort of ugly. In Iran, a couple of years ago, the Iranians found a cheetah, a wild cheetah of which there are just a couple of dozen left in the wild, and it had a censor around its neck, and the Iranians they deduced from this that it must be an intelligence operation because it was I guess maybe found near a sensitive site or something like that, and so Iran decided to kill all the cheetahs, and it actually began trying to exterminate them, and of course, as you'd expect, it turned out that the cheetah was tagged because it was from a wildlife preservation group trying to determine how cheatahs migrate in order to best protect them. But there is the story in the nineteen fifties, which may or may not be true, that CIA tried to put listening devices into a cat.
Speaker 3: Do you remember this, Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: The problem was the cat never stuck around where it was supposed to. It was I don't even remember the story, but the point was that a cat was hanging around like the Russian ambassador's house, and the Russian ambassador was bringing him into the house and feeding it. All I remember is it didn't go well for either the CIA or the CAT a leading indicator into this story and why it gets any traction at all. It's the myth and mythos and mystique behind intelligence services, especially MOSAD. And you know, there's there's the reality of espionage that you and I both know that includes things like I can remember early in my career, back when they still had public telephones, if I had to make a call that I didn't want listen to out of the embassy, you'd oh for a little walk and you'd find a public telephone bootho you'd make a call. But then you'd come back and at the end of the month you got to do your your monthly accounting, and I would have to end up writing like a paragraph on why I spent this twenty cents.
Speaker 3: It was like who was the call to? Why did I have to write right? Right? So you never see.
Speaker 1: James Bond having to account for like a twenty cent phone call. So the mystique that most sought are these mysterious intelligence all powerful on this intelligence agencies have these powers, I think is part of a powerful mistique that people want to have or need to have.
Speaker 2: I'm sure you've seen overseas when we've lived in different places that viewpoint. It can either benefit us or be a curse. Right, So, yeah, there are times when I've lived in countries where, honestly God, they think the CIA is all seeing, all knowing, can do all these other all these kind of things. I lived in one country where we got to report from the local service who believed that we had a nuclear device, like a nuclear bomb that we kept in our office that we could use against the country. And I'm not sure why they thought we would blow ourselves up. But the reality of CIA and other intelligence agencies is they're bureaucracies. But there's that view, especially with Israel, that somehow they had this special skill and special knowledge and they're the best spies in the world. And I think they actually promote some of that kind of stuff because you and I have worked with Israel and they're very, very good, and they're part of the world. They have more authorities than we do to do things like kill people and stuff, but by no means are they ten feet tall. There's this view out there that they're unbelievable.
Speaker 1: Well, John, aside from sharks, I think we saw in seven October that Israeli intelligence doesn't always get it right, they're not ten feet tall, and they're made of human beings, just like anybody else.
Speaker 2: Well, let's get to our guest, so Jerry. Today, we're lucky to have Kieran man Gin with us. Kieran is a researcher and creator and host of the Shark Files podcasts. These are true stories about where humans and sharks come together. So frankly, he's the perfect expert to talk to us today about our conspiracy. As you know here on there's this story which you know better than we do. So I was wondering if you could give us a short overview of the real story and what it morphed into.
Speaker 4: Okay, Well, it began November thirty, first, twenty ten, within the space of an hour at an Egyptian resort in the Red Sea called Charmel Shake, which gets millions of international tourists every year. There were two shark attacks, quite severe but non fatal. Yeah, that's where it all began, and there was a lot of panic at the time, a lot of international attention, and it doubled when the next day there were two further attacks a short distance on the coast from the to the previous day, So it actually echoed the film Jaws quite a lot in that beaches were closed. The mayor came out and said that we have this under control and everything. And what happened was they went out hunted the sharks. They took to a board, and they quickly them as the guilty sharks, let's say. And within a couple of days the beaches were reopened like Jaws, as I said, and nothing to see here, carry on. But the week of always say shark panic culminated on the fifth of December when a German tourist called Ranada Seifert, she was swimming on a busy beach outside the Higatt Regency hotel in Charmel Shak and she was fatally attacked by an oceanic quite tip shark. And yeah, it was a really shocking event, witnessed by a lot of people. And again the coastline was closed for a couple of days. And I think the conspiracy by the Egyptian authorities and by some parts of the Egyptian public as well, kind of sprang up from trying to make sense of the shock around the events and also the really negative international attention that it brought.
Speaker 1: So what came out of that then is instead of finding reasons for why these shark attacks happened, which are very rare, yes, extremely extremely rare, statistically, that they had look beyond the sharks to look for a wider conspiracy, and that became then yeah, Mosad, Israel special forces and so forth.
Speaker 4: So the compelling theory was that Mossad had thrown a deadly shark into the Red Sea. That was how I was phrased. And Mohammed Shusha, who's the governor of South Sinai in Egypt, the region where Charmel Shaik is, he said that it is not out of the question, but it needs time to be confirmed. So that was his official line on that. Helpful, But I suppose it's worth looking at the fact that Charmel Shaik actually has a kind of a geopolitical significance as well. So if you go back to the Six Day War in the nineteen seventies, Israel occupied charm El Shaikh and it became renamed Ophira, and that's where it developed from like a I guess, a dusty kind of settlement on the Red Sea into a tourist resort under Israeli control. And then in nineteen eighty two, with the Camp David Accords. It was actually given back to Egypt by his and they ran with the developing tourist industry there and it's grown into a huge tourist hub.
Speaker 1: Let's run with this, Okay, how would you go about finding a man eating shark? Train the shark to eat people, feed it on peoples in some sort of way, and then I have to smuggle it in and drop it off into Egyptian waters In the conspiracy theory, Yeah, how would that work?
Speaker 4: The statistical likelihood is so tiny of a shark actually attacking someone that it's extremely rare. So you can't even, like, if you were to try to guarantee that a shark would even bite somebody, it's very difficult to do. We know that sharks can be trained to do basic tasks. So if you go back to the nineteen fifties, there's an American sharks scientist called doctor Eugenie Clark, and she trained lemon sharks to bump a particular dinner bell to actually get a meal thrown into a pool for them, and they could remember this for several months afterwards. So sharks can't be trained to do basic tasks. But I think to do something complicated I think be really difficult to do that securitis.
Speaker 1: If I recall correctly, some of the media on these attacks, there was also a suggestion, strong suggestion, that the sharks were also attacking Russians, specifically targeting them because I feel bad for the German tours, but I believe most of the people attacked were Russians. And somehow it was in this that the sharks were being taught not only to attack people, but to differentiate. Could you tell us how sharks actually these kind of sharks what drives a predatory behavior.
Speaker 4: If someone is isolated, for instance, like in four of the five cases over that week in Sharmel Shaikh, the people who were bitten were actually isolated from people around them, So that's quite a big factor if you're swimming alone. Also possibly if you're splashing quite a bit. And there's other things that might like contrast between the water and say jewelry, or the idea of maybe wearing like the suggestions of a colorful swimsuit or different things like that that might create contrast with the blue of the water that could attract the shark's attention. But you know, they're not border security. They won't be able to delop what nationality you are. Three of the five Byte victims were Russian, one was Ukrainian, and then the as I said, the final one was German. So I think it was just the basic fact of a lot of Russians go to Sharma Shik. It's a really popular destination for Russian tourists. So I think that really explains it more than any prejudice on the part of the shark.
Speaker 3: That's what they want you to think.
Speaker 4: I'm being paid by Big Sharks to say exactly.
Speaker 2: So, Kiran, you mentioned that sharks can be trained. Are you aware of any governments or militaries that try to use sharks or train sharks for government or military purpose?
Speaker 4: Well, the US military uses a spy shark. It's a designed to look like a real shark, but it's a it's a robot. It's kind of a kind of a prototype as such, and it's been used to I guess, discreetly monitor things going on at sea. But I've never heard of an actual shark being trained or used for any purposes like that. There's an interesting one with there's a luga whale called Valdemir who's become something of a celebrity in I think it's Norway, And he was found a couple of years ago wearing a harness and a collar, and there's quite compelling evidence that there was attempts made to train him to be a Russian spy whale to keep an eye on naval activities and different things like that. So I mean whales like say beluga or an orca or dolphin or something is much more intelligent and complex in many ways than a shark would be, and would be a better candidate than that.
Speaker 1: Well, there's training and then there's sort of like managing or exploiting. So we all know that sharks can go into a feeding frenzy if there's blood in the water. That blood they can sense it from miles away.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: Also I understand that they have strunk smell sense.
Speaker 3: Urine is another thing.
Speaker 1: Then we'll attract them surprising like living here and why they tell you don't pee in the water if you don't want to deal with sharks, right? Is there a way to manage sharks, like to draw them into a particular area.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Looking back at the investigation into why the attacks happened at Charmel Shake, there were two or three factors that could answer your question. One of them was there was an Australian freighter, a large ship that dumped sheep carcasses into the Red Sea in the weak or so before the attacks, and that created like a let's say, a chum slick in the water. Another big factor was there was illegal feeding of fish, small colorful fish inshore in Charmel Shake. So this was tourists at the resorts getting leftover food from restaurants or scraps of their lunch and bringing them along the jetties along the shoreline and throwing scraps into the water and attracting small fish inwards. So this was seen as another possible factor that like smaller fish were attracted and then slightly larger fish came to feed on them. And then we were talking about shark's sense of smell. One of the huge superpowers that sharks have as well is they have along their snouts these things called amplay of lareen Zini and they're these kind of electro receptors, So even in some conditions, even more so than smell, they can allow a shark to detect tiny movements changes in the water. So yeah, if you were trying to attract sharks. I mean, there are a lot of shark tour operators dive boats and they're kind of experts in this. And a couple of years ago and Shark Week actually was interesting. They did a test to see what kind of music sharks like, So they put speakers underwater and they they came to the conclusion that sharks love heavy metal. So this kind of low, deep pulsing sound, because the theory is that it replicates the kind of low vibrations of struggling prey that might tell them a meal is there. So all the perfect conditions, the probability of a shark actually biting someone is still so remote, and I think that's part of the fascination that these kind of incidents are generally so rare. That's why I think one of the things that we focus on them so much, you know, right.
Speaker 1: But the rest of the story, though, is charmel Shadon doesn't have lots of I mean, there was a spike right in shark attacks and they didn't continue.
Speaker 4: I think because of the conditions like the overfishing far and far from shore, the rise in marine temperatures as well in the region, like a couple of those factors still exist, but I don't expect we'll see something like twenty ten again because, as I said, it's just such an outlier.
Speaker 2: But an anomaly is the perfect thing if you're trying to create a conspiracy theory or if it draws people to try to explain something. So if this hadn't happened before, and all of a sudden there's a spike, people are going to come try to explain it. And if the authorities don't have a good handle on it, which just sounds like they didn't at first, it sort of draws conspiracy theorist. Well that was great. Let's just take a quick moment for a break, and we'll get back to Egyptian sharks in just a moment.
Speaker 3: Okay, John, Let's get back into the water.
Speaker 1: So Kian, I'm old and I have been to Charmelshake when it was under Israeli control, and I remember swimming in those waters and they were beautiful. And my understanding is from friends who've been there afterwards, is that the coral has been to dynamite fishing and all sorts of things, and not right in front of the tourist places, but on the other side, and that there's been large environmental degradation, like the sharks are I would assume are hungary er now because there's less places for the chain as you you know, the life chain to go up to the small fishes to feed the larger fishes that feed the fishes that feed the shark have disappeared.
Speaker 4: Yeah, definitely. As I said, there's a lot of depletion of fish stocks in the open sea, like the in the Red Sea region. So if you look at the two species of shark involved in both of those in those incidents in sharam you have the oceanic quhitetip shark and the make O shark, and both of them are actually very rarely seen in shore, so they're more commonly in open ocean, open sea, and they're feeding on marlins, orther you know, large fish as well. But seeing as those stocks have been depleted, and actually in two of the incidents in twenty ten, a charm they actually found in a necropsy on the Mago shark that they caught that it had a severely depleted liver and that it was suffering from malnutrition. So this might have made it act in a kind of a typical way where it was taking extra risks that it wouldn't normally take. And again, I think we're going back to the conspiracy. I think these conspirators often helped to overlook or hide some kind of inconvenient truths about overfishing or other kind of issues.
Speaker 1: So Kieran, how was tourism and affected in the immediate aftermath of the sharkitects.
Speaker 4: The bigger impact will actually never really know because within a couple of months the Arab Spring had happened and tourists just fled from the country.
Speaker 2: Well, we determined that it's pretty hard to train shark, especially to pick out certain ethnicities. But is it possible that it could be a robot shark?
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, I suppose there's a couple of things that might fly in the face of that. Basically, from the injuries that were examined by shark bite investigators, they found very familiar shark teeth patterns on the victims wounds they could tell from people who's bitten. Victor Cully on his knee, you could see these kind of distinctive raking puncture wounds that told them it was a mako shark when they looked at it or in the case of Alga Martzinko, who was bitten on the first day. I know she on a quite tip shark. There was more serrated kind of cuts that were really distinctive with that shark species bite. I don't know what kind of engineers Massad had for this job, but they would have had to replicate shark teaths extremely accurately and brilliantly to do so.
Speaker 1: Even sharks are victims of conspiracy theories.
Speaker 4: They are, yeah, probably one of the most persecuted victims of conspiracy theories. They're an easy target, you know, they can't really stand up for themselves. So that's my job. I suppose that's what I'm trying to do in part.
Speaker 2: Well, you seem to be doing a very good job of it, so thank you so much for spending time.
Speaker 1: Thank you very much, absolutely fascinating. Now over to John Stern.
Speaker 5: All right, guys, so I did my research, as is my job, and here's what I got. I talked to a few experts on sharks. The first one here is Mary Roach. She told me about a Navy program in the nineteen sixties to use sharks as weapons called Operation Headgear, and guys, spoiler alert, it didn't work.
Speaker 6: I'm an author. I write nonfiction books for the general public science related. But for a book called Grunt, which I had to do with military science, I had a chapter on efforts to create a shark repellent and that led to something that didn't make it into the book, Operation Headgear, which was a military effort to use sharks to deliver bombs.
Speaker 3: All right, so when was this? Which branch of the military.
Speaker 6: Ration Headgear span the years from nineteen fifty eight to nineteen seventy one. It was a project carried out It's Script's Institution of Oceanography with funding from the Navy, and it was an effort to use sharks to deliver a payload a bomb wherever they wanted.
Speaker 5: Before we get into how you get the sharks to do what you want, how would they get the bombs to go off when they wanted?
Speaker 6: Okay, so the big problem before you even get to detonation was how do you get them where you want them to go? Because this is a fairly simple gadget. It's called operation headgear because it's something that was placed on the shark to kind of steer them. So you kind of like have it set up in advance all right, this is where we want the shark to go. When the shark leaves the proper heading goes off course, it would be programmed to deliver a noxious stimulus, and that would be that was a five to twenty five volt shop on one side or the other of the shark. The idea being if the shark feels the shock on one side, it tries to get away, so it swims the other direction. That was the theory. What happened is they didn't take into account the fact that when sharks swim, there's a lot of kind of yawing back and forth. You know, as they swim, they're going to go left, right, left, right. So he kept just going like and the sharks would get pissed and there was a violent reaction, probably trying to shake the thing off.
Speaker 5: Otherwise, I'm sure it worked fine, right.
Speaker 6: It was interesting. The reason they chose sharks was also fascinating. You would think the Navy had worked with porpoises, dolphins. You would think that that would have been because they're very intelligent. You would think you've worked with them, they seem smart. Why would you not choose them? And the rationale behind using sharks there were a number of reasons. One was, unlike the porpoise, they're very quiet. They don't vocalize, you know, the dolphins are like clicking and making adorable flipper sounds. Also, it doesn't have a swim bladder, so it wouldn't be picked up on sonar. You know, this is like a secret agent on a mission, so it's got to be stealthy. And they actually felt that the lesser intelligence of the shark was an advantage because they felt they could and this is a quote, intellectually dominate the shark anyway under that kind of control. They never got very far, They never completed even that the distance. They were very unhappy and I can read you the conclusion from it. You know, this was a long time that they worked on this. We have serious reservations concerning the suitability of a shark as a vehicle for command, guidance or transporting a payload any distance.
Speaker 5: And then the other shark expert I spoke to it was Christina Zanato. Christina dives with the sharks and she knows them on a direct level better than maybe anyone else on earth.
Speaker 7: My name is Christina Zanato.
Speaker 8: I am a professional diver based in the Bahamas working with sharks in the wild as a behaviorist and ecologists for the last thirty years. I'm also a cave explorer and technical instructor. Shark is a very unique word. The smallest shark in the world is the size of a pen. The biggest shark in the world is the size of a bus and a filter feed. My goal is to educate people about the meaning of.
Speaker 7: The word shark, the value of sharks in our oceans for the survival of the ocean, which ultimately is our survival, and the different understanding of what that word means. Sharks is a living, a.
Speaker 8: Breathing, thinking, intelligent creature who has been surviving in the.
Speaker 7: Oceans for over four hundred and fifty million.
Speaker 8: Years or comfortably shares their world with as humans encroaching into them.
Speaker 5: There is a series of shark attacks in the Red Sea off the coast of Egypt, and it was put out there that these were trained sharks to hurt the Egyptian tourist industry economically. The crux of this all is a belief that anyone, let alone the Israeli Secret Service, is capable of training a shark to do anything as complicated as that there.
Speaker 7: Is a basic training that is a trigger by a reward.
Speaker 8: Doctor Eugenie Clark back in nineteen fifty five talks and lemon sharks that at the ring of the bell they could push the button and get a little treat. You might be able to do it once, but on the second time the sharks like, Noah, I've already done that.
Speaker 7: So no, there's no level of training like that of sharks.
Speaker 5: Are there more likely scenarios for a shark to bite someone than military training?
Speaker 8: When we talk about shark bites, we always try to you know, there's this viscous lineup, or it's a vicious attack, or its aggressive, or it's an attack. But at the end of the day, this is an animal trying to feed and that's how natures design them to feed. More is we forget that maybe these animals are going through something. We forget that we are damaging their environment, we are removing their food, we are invading into their world of through coastal development, taking away the reverstrairies, building all the resorts on the beach.
Speaker 7: And they were like, oh, there's more encounters with sharks.
Speaker 8: Will there's some more people in the war and were encroaching into their world a little bit more, and.
Speaker 5: Then I did some research on robotic sharks. Long story short, there's no way someone could build a robotic shark that could do this. I also do research about the Egyptian tourist industry at its peak was twenty ten, the year of these attacks. It served about fourteen point seven million visitors to Egypt that year and the revenue was twelve and a half billion dollars, which was eleven percent of the GDP. But in terms of Russian tourists, the largest group was German tourists, Ukrainian tourists, which hopefully will not be considered Russian tourists in the near future, Saudi Arabian, the United Kingdom, Italy, Russian tourists were way down on the list. Now, if you really wanted to use a smart animal, beluga whales would be your choice. Beluga whales are trainable, smart, friendly, and they have an amazing communication vocabulary. The big problem with training at beluga whale is they actually don't kill people. Well, I guess it's that time where we have to welcome Adam Davidson in Man.
Speaker 3: I thought we were going to stick with experts.
Speaker 9: I only have one question robots are real sharks. Robots are real trained sharks.
Speaker 1: I think clearly the word that's it's in all our heads right now is galliophobia, right, I mean, that's obvious, the irrational fear of sharks.
Speaker 2: What's the word for irrational fear of sharks?
Speaker 3: That's it.
Speaker 1: Is rational Galliophobia is what the entire audience is thinking now. And I think this conspiracy theory plugs into that. Whenever you go swimming, there is always a rational concern for one safety, right, you can drown, things can to take you from underneath. And I think fear of sharks is that everyone has. And if the theory is that the sharks were sent by a unfriendly intelligence service to damage your economy, I think just that story is very effective. Okay, let's take a break from the craziness just for a minute or two.
Speaker 9: So you know, I've lived in the Middle East. I've spent a lot of time in the Middle East, in both Israel and the Arab world. And one thing that I would actually say Israeli governments and Arab governments have both invested a lot in is creating a mystique around Israel's kind of superpowers. Right, the Israelis for obvious reasons. They are a tiny nation surrounded by people who they perceive as enemy, and they have some good evidence. There's some pretty amazing moments in Israeli history, the Six Day War in Tebe where even the independence warn forty eight forty nine. But then also there is both Israel's foreign policy but also its own domestic politics is really wrapped up in the idea. That is, especially Israeli special forces and Israeli technical people, the hackers, the scientific people in the military are beyond the best in the world. They're the smartest, the greatest, the most amazing. So it feels like the ground is really set for people believing like, if you can think of it, the Israelis could pull it off.
Speaker 1: And it's also set for blaming the Mossad, which you can blame for everything, right, if it's this ultra effective organization, you can blame your own shortcomings on it. So if you're an Arab country you've got high inflation, or if you've got internal strife for the crops don't come in, well, it's not the regime's fault, right, you can blame the other and people would be inclined to believe it. So I think the Red Sea Egyptian shortcomings which are much more likely to explain this, the loss of habitat, loss of food supplies, making them more aggressive and so forth. That's not where you want to go. Where you really want to go is it's somebody else doing this to us.
Speaker 3: It's not our fault. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Still, I mean, you listen to putin. The CI is blamed for everything that goes bad in Russia, and so I'm sure in the Middle East blaming Israel is just sort of a handy thing to be able to have to take blame off yourself.
Speaker 9: I do have a question, which I've actually had my whole life. How do people in the intelligence community look at the Israelis? As a young Jewish guy, I was raised to thank Yeah, they're like the greatest spies and special forces operators in the history of the universe. How does CIA look at Mosad? And it's not just Masad, it's Shinbette tess. I heard macall, there's a bunch of these hyper elite Israeli groups.
Speaker 2: Israel relies on the intelligence services to an unusual extent. They're a small country and a dangerous part of the world. And their political masters are very focused on what the intelligence services can do. And also they have laws that allow the intelligence services to do things that we in the West aren't allowed to do, assassinate, these these type of things. And so I think they're very effective and they're part of the world. But when people say, oh, they're the best in the world, by no means do they have the resources, ability, or whatever of a place like the CIA, the or US intelligence community that has worldwide reach, incredible resources, links with others all around the world. And so to compare them to a bigger service like the CIA is not really fair to them.
Speaker 1: They're a niche service. They focus on one or two things and they do those very well. And because they got their back to the wall, they're highly motivated for good reasons they should be, and they're effective. They're pretty merciless when it comes to their mission and they and they need to be.
Speaker 9: But is it that they're good on a relative basis or are they actually just plain good? Like are there jobs you would be like, you know what the Israelis would do better than.
Speaker 2: The Americans, Well, there's things that we can't do, Like they can go into a place like Iran, and put bombs down and stuff like that. That's not something that we're allowed to do for legal reasons, for our own sort of internal things. And so there's things that we might go to them that they have skill in because they do those kind of things, not to bomb for us necessarily, but some of their knowledge that they gain by being in places where we can't be and that type of thing. But the thing is, we do the same with the Brits and the Japanese and others who have things that we don't have that we can then take advantage of.
Speaker 1: So Mosad and Cia are both creatures of democracies. We have to do what our politicians tell us to and so we are policy instruments to a greater degree, and when policy is not good or policy is flawed, then what we do is going to be flawed, even if we're successful. There's this great book, Rise Up and Kill First is a history of the Mosad, and even some of their greatest successes tactical successes have led to strategic failures. For example, how Mosad or the Israeli secret services were able to track and locate and find a way to kill shaik Ya seen the head of Hamas and Okay, he's a bad guy. He was killing Israelis. He arguably deserves it, only arguably because the people that replaced him were open to operating with the Iranians despite the fact that they were radical Sunnies. And then what Israel faced was Hamas plus Iran, whereas you see, didn't take resources and weapons from Irans because they were Shia. Israel arguably because of policy, not because of what Israeli secret services did, arguably made things worse. So it was that good or bad. It was a tactically good, perhaps strategically less so.
Speaker 9: All right, So let's dig into sharks being specially trained to eat. So to me, this one ranks fairly low as a convincing It's not an elegant conspiracy theory. There's a lot of moving parts, a lot of room for err I don't know how many shark trainers you need.
Speaker 1: Pretty much established that you can't train sharks, that's one of the problems. You can manage them. You can bring them into an area through chumming and so forth.
Speaker 2: So the notion that train sharks go after certain tourists with the plan of, you know, destroying the Egyptian economy doesn't hold together. But it certainly is possible that a group could come in and dump just a bunch of sharks in an area where there's lots of tourists and hope expect that it would cause some sort of panic.
Speaker 1: That's possible, right if you're trying to convince Egyptian public that it's not their fault that the Red Sea environment is all screwed up. It's the most out I think it could be effective domestically inside of Egypt, and certainly this is where it's been spread is among Egyptian politicians trying to explain this. But to the wider world. I don't think the Russians by it. I don't think anybody else does either.
Speaker 2: I think it's it's pretty for a short term Egyptian politician try to get himself out of being blamed for something. It probably had some utility.
Speaker 9: So I'm giving this one. I'm giving her a one point eight. It's kind of original, it has a little creativity, but as a conspiracy theory, like if we're in the meeting of the conspiracy theorists of the world, I don't think this one's getting any awards.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna have to disagree.
Speaker 1: I just got a phone call from my buddy Hamid in Cairo and he said, this is a four point eight Wow.
Speaker 9: Okay, yeah, Well my.
Speaker 2: Buddy Yuri and Tel Aviv just called me and so that's not true.
Speaker 5: To one mission implausible. It was produced by Adam Davidson, Jerry O'sha, John Cipher, and Jonathan Stern. The associate producers are Rachel Harner and David Salinger. This has been a production of honorable, mention and abominable pictures for iHeartMedia.