Speaker 1: Broadcasting live from the Abraham Lincoln Radio Studio, the George Washington Broadcast Center, Jack Armstrong, Joe Getty.
Speaker 2: Armstrong and Jette and no Hee.
Speaker 3: Armstrong and Getty Strong not live from Studio C. We're taking a break for a couple of weeks. You know why because twenty twenty four was an exhausting year and we need to come back fresh for twenty five.
Speaker 1: So enjoy this carefully curated Armstrong and Getty replay.
Speaker 3: And while you're here, drop my Armstrong in Getty dot com.
Speaker 1: Get a late gift, perhaps for your favorite a g fan at the Armstrong and Getty Store, or subscribe to the Armstrong and Getty podcast Armstrong and Giddy on demand.
Speaker 2: Either way, enjoy, thanks for.
Speaker 3: Being I didn't pay off one of my teases during the Armstrong and Getty radio show. If you enjoyed these bitter foods, you might have psychopathic tendencies. And the list is gin and tonics, love them, black coffee every day and dark chocolate it yes, versually the only thing I'll eat for dessert. All right, I'm two out of three? Which one don't you like? You don't drink I'm not a gin drinker.
Speaker 1: See it at the psychopath party though, Katie, So two out of three is plenty welcome.
Speaker 3: I'm excited. And if you're not a psychopath, you you probably have everyday sadism, it says here, which is a person who takes pleasure from ordinary experiences in which cruelty is vicarious.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, vicarious cruelty gets me through the day.
Speaker 3: That and a little dark chocolate to nibblon. Exactly. I watched down My Cruelty with a nice Gin and Tonic.
Speaker 2: And a little dark chocolate, so satisfying.
Speaker 3: Or a cup of coffee to help you stay up later to watch more of the cruelty.
Speaker 1: You know, if there's a good cruelty on TV, yeah, I'll want a cup of coffee to keep my eyes wide.
Speaker 3: All right, now you're Michael Angelo.
Speaker 4: Okay, let me go back about six months ago. My wife and I purchased these tickets to a show that was we thought would be high action, entertaining, musical, very cool, and so I didn't realize it was the NFL playoff ice. No, nothing like that. But I didn't realize it was the NFL playoff week and I didn't think ahead.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, before before too.
Speaker 4: So of course this thing comes up and I realized it's now the NFL playoff weekend, and I say, you know, look, I really don't want to go. She goes, don't worry about it. It's going to be great. You know, we bought these tickets. There are one hundred dollars. You know it's going to be fantastic. You're going to really enjoy it. And I thought, all right, I'm going to enjoy it.
Speaker 3: I'll go along.
Speaker 4: So we get to the show and the show's not.
Speaker 2: What we expected.
Speaker 4: It's not any action at all. In fact, it's people talking on stage doing an occasional song, talking on stage doing it's super.
Speaker 3: Too much Grover, not enough Elmo for Elmo and Ice exactly. Yeah, you call it Elma on Ice. But there's the freaking blue thing.
Speaker 4: So intermission comes, they say, hey, we got more great action for you in the second half. Hang around, and I'm thinking I don't want to hang around. So I tell my wife. I say, hey, listen, this isn't my cup of tea. This is not what you sold it as and she goes, yeah, I know, I'm sorry. I thought it was something different. I thought it was, you know, a different type of show.
Speaker 3: Were you just missing ad game though over this or is that what's going on?
Speaker 4: So meanwhile, I'm you know, and we lived about five minutes away, and I'm missing the Cowboys and Packers game, and you know, I'm just trying to I enjoy NFL football. And so I tell her listen, I want to get out of here, and she goes, really, you didn't enjoy any of this? I said, no, I haven't enjoyed any of this at all. I think it's slow. I think, you know, the music's not very good, et cetera, et cetera. And so I'm listening this off. Well, I guess I was talking too loud. And I must mention that during part of the show, one of the speakers talks about gratitude and being grateful. So I'm just having a private conversation with my wife's you know, it's an oh boy.
Speaker 3: Screaming in the lobby. No, I'm not.
Speaker 4: Being loud, I mean, you know, just regular regular voice. And all of a sudden, a woman in front of us turns around and says to my wife, well, I guess he missed the part about gratitude. Oh, so she has decided to interject yourself into a private conversation. Wow, And so I kind of looked at her and I didn't say anything.
Speaker 3: How many teeth did you knock out?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 3: I didn't, but it just.
Speaker 4: Made me more angry, and I said, we're getting out of here now, let's go.
Speaker 6: Let's go.
Speaker 2: Let's go.
Speaker 4: Grab her by the arm, and I said, you know, and she goes and we you know, we go storming out and I'm not happy.
Speaker 7: Wow, Michelangelo, get me out of here before I punch a woman.
Speaker 4: No, And then she says I caused the scene. Well wait, but I was trying to explain to her.
Speaker 3: I said, you know, your wife said you caused the scene, or that lady said you caused the scene.
Speaker 4: My wife said I caused the scene. But mind you, I was had. I had a regular voice. It was a private conversation, and this stranger decided to interject into Obviously they were eaves dropping into our conversation. She apparently was upset because I didn't.
Speaker 2: Like the show.
Speaker 3: Well's yeah, it's a fine line between somebody eavesdropping on a private conversation or being so loud that you are they are part of your conversation. That's a fine line. It's in the eye of the beholder.
Speaker 1: Well, see, I almost need to get a decibel reading to know where to come down on.
Speaker 3: This one, honestly exactly. I mean, you know, I think by definition a scene happened, whether you caused it or not is I don't know.
Speaker 1: I think that's why we've convened this court of hasty opinions.
Speaker 4: Well, this is why I'm here. I want to know did I cause a scene or was this? I thought the woman, you know, the strange woman, was completely out of line. I would never introduct myself into somebody else's conversation. Did you ever do that?
Speaker 3: Yes, Kenny, that's what I was just going to go with.
Speaker 7: You have to think about the person who is standing there listening to a couple have a conversation and goes, I'm jumping in there. Yeah, I want to get in that. I mean that that's some nosy. I don't think you started.
Speaker 3: That is a certain sort of person that said, to your right, decides, hey, there's a looks to me a married couple. I think I'll jump into the middle of their arguments. Not only that, but the superior tone she strikes.
Speaker 1: Yes, I guess you missed the part about gratitude.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh, I'll show you some gratitude.
Speaker 5: I uh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I hear that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that that that's one of those things. She showed her who she is with that comment. I mean not, hey, dude, some of us are really enjoying this. Can you let up on the negativity? Even that would be.
Speaker 3: Like what do you?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 2: Do you mind your business? Ignore me?
Speaker 1: Or stand there thinking boy, this a whole has no appreciation for fine art.
Speaker 4: I mean, I don't tell me her to leave.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you didn't say anything to her period.
Speaker 1: Like you didn't say anybody who likes this as an fing idiot or anything like that.
Speaker 4: No, nothing like that at all.
Speaker 3: Now I'm getting into dangerous territory. How long was this uncomfortable between you and your wife?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 4: It was just like a minute, not very long.
Speaker 3: This wasn't a steely silence all the way home?
Speaker 4: No? No, no?
Speaker 3: But was who made the scene?
Speaker 6: Me?
Speaker 3: Or this woman?
Speaker 4: I argued, this woman created the scene, not.
Speaker 3: Me, right, I volume is the key key question. I just can't see you causing a scene. Michaelangelo and causing a scene don't go together. No, they don't.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, and I'm glad it was a minor thing because the whole steely silence all the way home is a Oh, that's a rough one.
Speaker 1: She think you want us to know more about the show in question, but I don't want to go there.
Speaker 3: I get the feeling you don't want to go there, so so I want to either how old was it the woman that butted in?
Speaker 4: Oh, I'd say she was in her fifties, tight late fifties.
Speaker 3: Man, that is certainly an interesting personality trait to do that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Now, one thing about the theater is I noticed that as soon as we sat down, everybody was much older than us, and so I was like, Okay, this is a different type of crowd.
Speaker 3: Everybody was older.
Speaker 7: Did that woman look like she might have participated in like a woman's march?
Speaker 2: I can see that.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, I'm sorry. I'm sorry that there was a rancor.
Speaker 4: But there was two things that bothered me. Two things that ranked me was first of all, I don't like having my time wasted, and second condescension. Those two things I think bug me more than anything.
Speaker 3: Well, just not digging the show. I mean, that's a that's a that's a tough one. I mean, if you're if you're the person you're with is digging into.
Speaker 2: Sat through that.
Speaker 1: I wasn't exactly digging innumerable, but she wasn't digging it in.
Speaker 4: No, so that wasn't Yeah, that wasn't the issue.
Speaker 3: The issue was dreaming that the show effing sucked. I mean, you know, I'm gonna start doing that when I hear people arguing, I'm just gonna jump in them in like, you know what, I think.
Speaker 1: You didn't ask me, but I think I'm with him.
Speaker 3: So let's getting some attention in some circles for people who watch Saturday Night Live Saturday Night this last weekend that there was so much of the cast of breaking up and laughing during sketches. I mean, more than I've ever seen ever combined in forty years watching the show in one episode. And well, an interesting thing about that, Katie, You're not old enough to have lived through the Carol Burnett Show, which was a big popular sitcom, like the number one show in America back in the seventies, but legendary. These various clips were Harvey Corman and Tim Conway would break each other up and laugh it. As a kid, I really enjoyed it, and a lot of people enjoyed it, and there's still popular YouTube clips, but it would seem that there's a limit to how much that you can take based on Saturday Night Live. And we're gonna play you some examples. There's some famous Saturday Night Live clips. I mean Jimmy Fallon used to break up a lot. I mean he just for some reason, some people can't hold it together as well as other people. And I've watched those clips over and over again and cried laughing. It was so funny him breaking up. But it's just like it's a good flavor, it can't be the whole thing or something. Ryan Gosling, the host, for whatever reason, he can't make it through thirty seconds of any sketch without starting to laugh. That's an interesting personality thing, isn't it.
Speaker 8: Now?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it is. I don't think it's like a question of discipline.
Speaker 3: No no, oh no, no, no, no no no. I don't think so either. But it's pretty interesting that you're just so giggly even though you've got the script, you've rehearsed it over and over again, you know what's coming, and you can't keep from busting up, right, Yeah, And well I should have maybe started with this. I've I'm a Saturday Night Life freak. I've been so into it since the first year. I've watched documentaries about it, I watched the podcasts where the old cast members talk about various sketches. I mean, just I'm super into Saturday Night Live. And Lorne Michaels hates it when people break up, like that's his rule number one, do not break up during a sketch. We wrote these sketches in a certain way to be funny, in a certain way. They'll be funniest if you don't break up, do it the way you're supposed to. I mean, he he hates it. So I haven't seen this Ryan Gosling thing. Is the laughter? Does it seem forced or is it genuine? No, It's definitely genuine, really, and most of it makes me laugh because it's funny stuff happening. And then he can't come from like but there so the one that's getting so much attention. And I read the article on the Hollywood Reporter. Heidi Gardner, who's one of the regular cast members, completely lost it during the Beavis and butt Heead thing and which you're going to hear a clip of here in just a little bit, and it's really visual. I don't know how well this is going to come across very funny. It's just it was. It was a news program. It was like one of those town halls, political town halls like you'd see on CNN or something like that. And the host is talking to Kean Thompson about AI and stuff like that. Well, Ryan Gosling is over her shoulder, looking exactly like Beavis from Beavis and butt Head, I mean, like the hair, the outfit, the everything like that. And he's just sitting there and very intently listening and everything like that. And and when Keenan Thompson points out, sorry, just the person behind you looks just like Beavis, and Ryan Gosling's looking around, like, who's he talking? But when the butt Heead character comes out, who's really got makeup on? Honey Gardner turns around and seas him for the first time, and then she can't talk for like a minute, and at some point the whole thing falls apart and it just doesn't work anymore. But uh, and I've got some of her quotes about that from a Hollywood reporter I could hit you with. Well, let's listen to the clip. First, but I.
Speaker 4: Can't just.
Speaker 2: Oh, my gott, are you sious? What I think that's a valid question.
Speaker 6: No.
Speaker 9: Now, they're a gentleman behind you that looks like butthead professor.
Speaker 1: Just because our audience members aren't as informed on the issue as you doesn't make them butts.
Speaker 3: Butt head from the cartoon. He beaves a three. He really like to move on and discuss AI. So would you like him to move?
Speaker 2: Yes, thank you.
Speaker 9: The man with the gray shirt and exposed gums, sir, kindly move seats.
Speaker 5: She's talking to you.
Speaker 2: Oh, I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: I am so sorry.
Speaker 4: I'm confused.
Speaker 3: I'm just here to learn about AI, so you know. And then they set to get him out of the line of view of the AI experts, so he's not they're not distracting. They the person who looks like Beavis, whose name is like Ralph, and the guy because I don't they don't even know what they're talking about. I've never heard of this cartoon, they say. But they sit him next to each other and they're sitting the same way, and then they're laughing at things. So I have I have two comments.
Speaker 1: Number one, it's not her fault that Keenan Thompson is the funniest human being ever and everything he says is hilarious. Secondly, the answer is the audience that they loved it. They're laughing so hard they were crying. Stop, there's the end of discussion. Let's all have fun, people, come on, we don't need more fun.
Speaker 3: From the sound of it.
Speaker 7: It also kind of sounds like they might have set her up for that, like they hid from her what that cast member was gonna look like, just for the shock value.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So what I was wondering is because they do dress rehearsal right before they do the show, which I can't imagine what a long, grueling night that is. They do a full dress rehearsal and then do the show. But but they didn't put the prosthetics on, and he had these prosthetics on his face that made him look like, yeah, butt head is an odd looking human and so she hadn't seen him before. And then she turns around asking to move, and then and then when she couldn't talk for like a minute. But so that was like, I don't know, a third of the way through the show, and Ryan Gosling broke up every sketch. Well, by the time he gets toward the end of the show and like the sketches toward the end is like, all right, okay, can you just I mean I actually was and Henry, I was watching with my son. Henry said that ruins it when they laugh, and because we watched a whole bunch of them, and I mean, there must just be a limit to it, because like famously, like I said, those Carol Burnett clips are the most famous Carol Burnett clips of all time of a very popular comedy show when they would break each other up. Maybe it's just a limit. Maybe that's it. Oh sure, yeah, yeah. The odd that Ryan Gosling cannot get through a line without laughing.
Speaker 1: I think it's like people who cry a lot versus people who cry a little. It's just it's part of your your makeup. Which reminds me of my favorite conundrum, Katie. I don't think I've ever hit this hit you with us. I may have if I have, forgive me, I'm I'm getting old. Have I ever done the I told you the one about punching yourself in the face.
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Okay, So if I punch myself in the face so hard it makes me cry, does that make me a tough guy or a.
Speaker 3: Huh, you know, I've never heard of it. That that's like Einstein level riddle right there. Yeah, you gotta get Oppenheimer on that one. It's got quantum mechanics in it or something makes you a mental case.
Speaker 2: But the Armstrong and Getty Show, Yeah, more Jack your Shoe podcasts and our hot links.
Speaker 1: Thanks The Armstrong and Giddy Show featuring our podcast one more thing, download it, subscribe to it wherever you like to get podcasts.
Speaker 3: I really like to know what's hot. I just partially I think it's good for the radio show. Partially, I just I'm interested in note. I like to know if there's a super hot band, super hot movie, super hot whatever, clothing style, whatever. I just like to know. And so the other day I'm walking through the newsroom and Jensen, who you may have heard on our show before, she's in the newsroom. She said, do you watch The Bear? I said, to what now? She said, it is my favorite show of all time, not just my favorite show right now, it's the best TV show ever. And I thought, wow, we ought to have you on to talk about it. And then weirdly, in the next forty eight hours, I came ross a couple of different articles or tweets or whatever from people saying this season of The Bear might be better than last season. It's my favorite TV show of all time. We brought it up on the radio show. We got a number of text people say it's my favorite show ever ever. That's a heck of a thing to say.
Speaker 5: So.
Speaker 1: A story about a guy who takes a trained bear around the country playing county fairs makes the thing dance yeah, it on cocaine occasionally. It's a guy who drives from town to town in an old truck, engaging in street fights, and he's got this charming bear that rides with him.
Speaker 3: That sounds terrific solves people's problems. Anyway, We got a couple of clips from The Bear. It's actually it's a story.
Speaker 1: About the guy who's like a brilliant, gifted chef and his brother runs a Chicago sandwich shop, dies and he has to take over the family business.
Speaker 3: That's the broad outlines, or the very basic outline. Cool, here's the first clip. This is a delicate ecosystem, but it's held together by a shared history, a love. I have every intention of turning this into a actable place of business. That's funny. The music reminds me. I'd read a couple of different places that the soundtrack for the Bears just fantastic. That's one of the things that draws people in. But I did ask b Willco there in the background. The only the only way I can watch a TV show is if my kids can watch it. So I asked Jensen. I said, is it okay for kids? She said absolutely not. And I guess this next clip will make that evident. It's some of the tension in the kitchen. Let's hear it, Debra, make sandwiches.
Speaker 9: Don't stop making sandwiches.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna make three sections.
Speaker 9: Okay, They're gonna be wet hot.
Speaker 3: I'm sweet, all right, I'm gonna take green tape. Make those sections. Louis, I want you to get the sandwiches. Put them on the corresponding sections. Yea sweet labeled?
Speaker 4: Yes, he Mark gonna fire every single chicken we have, please? Okay, Ritchie, do you even know how to do pricelel okay marks?
Speaker 1: Where are we on?
Speaker 6: Cakes?
Speaker 2: Get in there?
Speaker 3: What's Marcus?
Speaker 4: What are you doing?
Speaker 3: Still working on this?
Speaker 2: Come on?
Speaker 3: What are you tripping for? It doesn't make a difference.
Speaker 4: There's four kicks.
Speaker 3: And still they're not even cut yet.
Speaker 6: That's what.
Speaker 3: I am.
Speaker 4: I'm doing them in.
Speaker 3: Five at them and everything, fire everything, Okay, I'll fire everything now. I just was finishing Marcus and step out.
Speaker 4: Okay, I'm gonna.
Speaker 3: Talk to Mark now. Thank you.
Speaker 1: We're firing seventy six piece, thirty four chickens, okay, twelve French fries.
Speaker 3: Twelve mash oh.
Speaker 6: Thank you.
Speaker 3: I'm doing at deli version Gordon Ramsey. Yeah, I'm intriguing. Wow, heard sandwich from people I've from people have known who worked in kitchens. That is a relatively accurate.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Wow, Wow, It's like if the Sopranos were making sandwiches. I'll check it out. I'll probably watch an episode tonight.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And there's obviously, if people are raving about it, there's there's much more to it than the mechanics or what can be described pa Oh yeah, obviously, if you can, if you can give a good flavor, if your pardon the fun pun of the show with a thirty second clip, and ain't ain't that great?
Speaker 3: It ain't that's probably a bad show, right exactly.
Speaker 1: It's like a song you love the first time you hear, it's probably going to bother you by the third time, exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And in being a pigheaded idiot, it took me a while to understand that great documentaries are all about people. They're all about humankind and our struggles and whether it's well, it's a story about a guy who trims bears fingernails at a zoo, and I'm thinking, I don't have any particular interest in bears fingernails, but it's an award winning documentary. Just watch it. It's gonna end up being about life, right anyway, do.
Speaker 2: We have time for that? While I suppose the podcast we.
Speaker 1: Can make it as long as we want to, where Joe Rogan we got three hours left, no, thank you, my froat already hurts.
Speaker 2: At the end of the.
Speaker 1: Radio show, came across this Twitter thread that I thought was absolutely terrific, and we'll post a link for you at Armstrong and Getty dot com. It's an analysis of how Julius Caesar.
Speaker 3: Started his political career.
Speaker 1: And this historian said he was Rome's second greatest orator after Cicero. And here are nine lessons from a brilliant early speech of his that made his career take off, and he wasn't as a young man. He came from a good family, but he wasn't really taken very seriously.
Speaker 2: He was deep and dead.
Speaker 1: He had a reputation as a playboy. He had kind of a Matt Gaitsitz's reputation.
Speaker 2: If I may, he.
Speaker 3: Said, I got this idea for a salad. Nobody would listen.
Speaker 2: Exactly, raw eggs, What are you crazy? Anyway?
Speaker 1: In sixty three BC, the conspiracy of Cataline was unearthed. Evidence came forward to plots to murder senators, burned the city of Rome, overthrow the republic. You can look more into it if you want. But the Senate in Rome declared martial law to avert the danger and said, essentially that the danger is so severe there's no time for trials. We've just got around these people up and execute them. And Caesar thought that was a bad idea, and he delivered a speech in the Senate against summary execution. And according to this historian, his speech is a master class in swaying a group gripped by fear and anger away from acting on their urges. And I don't know if we'll go through all of this, but we'll do part of it. Number one, name the emotions your audience is feeling. And some of this if to you who are like more intuitive, persuasive, You're good at you know, you're good at speaking and influencing people. It's maybe a little obvious to you, but I just thought it was interesting to see it. So naing the emotions your audience is feeling that you need them to not act on. Chris Voss calls this tactical empathy. Caesar begins by doing this in order to clear a little room for reason. Quote members of the Senate, all men who deliberate upon difficult questions had best be devoid of hatred, friendship, anger, and pity. When those feelings stand in the way, the mind cannot at all easily discern the truth. And no one has ever served at the same time his passions and his best interests. When you apply your intellect, it prevails. If passion takes control, it is master, whereas the mind.
Speaker 2: Is entirely impotent.
Speaker 3: That has been my experience.
Speaker 2: It has absolutely been my experience.
Speaker 1: That would be incredibly unpopular in politics today, where anger and passion and yeah is like it's the only thing that matters practically. Oh, I read another study the other day as a tangent that people are much easier to mislead when they're anger. When they're angry, you can convince them of about anything if it feeds their anger.
Speaker 3: Oh really, that's an interesting thought, and I.
Speaker 1: Thought, yeah, I kind of got hung up on that because I thought, yeah, not only another person can convince me of something when I'm angry, but I can convince me of stuff that later, I think.
Speaker 2: That's not true.
Speaker 1: That's not healthy, it's not good that other person isn't guilty of that.
Speaker 3: You're more easy to mislead when you're angry. Anyway. Caesar went on to say, you're gonna have a really giant baby. I got a plan for that.
Speaker 2: Let's see. But that's not enough.
Speaker 1: Number Two, tell us story as quickly as possible, or several, preferably, stories that appeal to the audience's identity. Stories from history are good, especially if you're talking to a group, Caesar said in the Punic Wars, although the Carthaginians, both in peace time and during truces, often did many abominable deeds, our ancestors never did likewise when they had the opportunity, but they took into consideration what conduct would be consistent with their dignity, rather than what action could be justified against the Carthaginians, so appealed to the shared history of the group. Number three, make very clear what the story means and how it relates to your point. Caesar's point in the speech is showing restraint was essential to the Romans coming to dominate the world. That was one of their best qualities. Restraint is in your best interests you likewise, members of the Senate must see to it that the villainy of Popelius, Lentilus, and the rest do not have more weight with you than your own dignity, and that you do not take more thought for your anger than for your good name. Number four affirm emotions while making clear they are not relevant to the decision, especially if other voices are actively trying to stir up those emotions against your advice. Again, empathy plus reason. Are they trying to get us angry? We're already angry. In other words, here's what he said. Most of those who have expressed their opinions before me have deplored the lot of the nation in well structured, grand language. They recounted the horrors of the war, the wretched fate of the conquered, the rape of maidens and boys, children torn from their parents' arms, matrons subjected to the will of the victor's shrines and houses, pillaged, bloodshed, knacks of arson, in short everywhere, arms and corpses, gore and lamentation. But by the immortal gods, what was the aim of that eloquence? Was it to make you detest the conspiracy? You know, if this is the second greatest orator in Rome, then I believe the guy's right.
Speaker 3: I gotta read more. Cisserah, that is so good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, number five.
Speaker 1: Praise your opponents, good intentions, build common ground with the real people you need to persuade.
Speaker 3: We don't do any of that anymore.
Speaker 1: Not really. And he mentions one of the guys who's on the other side of it. He calls him a gallant and dedicated man who said what he said out of patriotism. I know this man's character and such his moderation. So he singles out one of his main opponents, praises him up and down, and by the way slips in in moderation is his greatest quality. It happens to be what I'm arguing for anyway. Number six appeal to tradition and self explanatory. Number seven cite more history to show this is a dangerous precedent going in the other direction. Number eight recommend an alternative. He recommended that they have the guilty guys all their assets confiscated, and then be sent to prisons throughout Italy, probably to await a trial. Once the danger passed, who everybody could calm the f down? Ah, then here's the twist, plot twist. The Senate was swayed at first, but then Cato the Younger delivered a speech in favor of execution. The Senate adopted Cato's proposal and recommended Cicero execute the prisoners.
Speaker 2: So Caesar lost.
Speaker 1: Ooh, but that brings us to number nine. Taking stance for moderation can be good even if you lose. Caesar probably knew he wouldn't win, but he had an additional motivation. Cataline raised an army of ten thousand by championing the interests of the poor, down trodden, disaffected at Rome the ninety nine percent. When Catline failed and died, the poorn down trodden remembered Caesar as a champion of their lost cause because he was reasonable and just, and indeed he became the emperor and then number ten.
Speaker 3: Crutons are the key to my salad. They allow a crunch that you wouldn't otherwise have.
Speaker 1: Anchovies are no.
Speaker 2: Now, I am staunchly pro anchovy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm disgusted by anchovies. There are fishers, right.
Speaker 2: Not or something?
Speaker 3: They are a fisher something?
Speaker 1: Yeah, a fish or a rat, A fish or a shoe string.
Speaker 3: No, they're a fish. Very salty. Sounds disgusting.
Speaker 4: Listeners, look for the new show I See You through the smoke. This is when a blind neighbor teaches Jack Armstrong barbecue techniques and wonderful friendship reform.
Speaker 3: What your view on Ben affleck smart guy, dumb guy, hot guy, don't care. He's not bad looking, He's all right. He was the world's sexiest man once for People magazine, Oh.
Speaker 1: Oh the last once. He's dead sexy. You can't deny it, but he I think.
Speaker 3: He comes off as a dope, which makes you less sexy. And in all a.
Speaker 7: Lot of the photos I've seen of him, at least recently, he always looks mad.
Speaker 3: Well, he's a drunk, so uh, there's that. Drunks Unless you you know, find a way to deal with it. Tend to be quite unhappy when they're not drunk.
Speaker 2: So I came across this.
Speaker 1: This was Ben Affleck in two thousand and three talking about the future of entertainment, and I was blown away. You know how much he nailed. Michael, we can stop this right and restart it? You know, stop now, it's completely impossible. Yes, of course we can. You all right, go ahead roll it.
Speaker 5: I believe that the industry has been too slow to embrace and adopt these paradigms. If you look at historically in terms of technologies, in terms of consumer based technologies, you have like basically share where that introduces the consumer to it at no cost, at which point the consumers on the hook they figured out, they've worked out the kinks, they figured out how it interact with it and how to exploit it, and then you trye to feed in.
Speaker 6: The consumer historically has been willing to pay that fee.
Speaker 5: I think I think annual subscription based system is one that works. You have the music business three point four billion dollars a year business, okay, which is largely about one point seven million people in the country, spending two hundred dollars a year. That same people would spend those two hundred dollars a year each year to have us access to basically the entire library.
Speaker 1: But just in music.
Speaker 5: And of course you continue to read your subscription because you pay for new music. World would be paid more directly to the to the artists. You have less overhead, you pay no shipping packaging, and you pay no You know that there's this mammoth amount of executive at music companies that are glowing off a lot of that money. I believe that paradigm is the most effective productive. That's the paradigm that Adam Smith would most want. I think the air inefficiencies in the market now and I think they're being worked out, and I think file sharing is pushing the industry towards that balance because you know it's because of its availability right now.
Speaker 3: Well, eventually it's just going to be video on demand, movies on demand, because bottom line is going to eventually affect your guys's pocketbooks if piracy containers, there.
Speaker 5: Is piracyper movies, and it will be it'll be moves on demand, but it'll be a tiered structure. It will be like if you want to watch it first weekends, maybe it won't be available first weekend, but then if you want to watch it, you know, you'll pay more.
Speaker 6: And then as it goes to another stage and its release, it'll become less expensive. But there's a lot more adoption that has to happen technologically speaking right now before people can watch movies or at least integrate in terms of the PC web connection.
Speaker 3: You know, the catechnology is not quite there yet, but it.
Speaker 5: Will be within I would say five years.
Speaker 3: That's pretty impossive. And he drops in Adam Smith in there. I changed my mind about Ben Affleck.
Speaker 1: You know, I don't know how far ahead of his time was, but if I'd been listening to that and had some cash around, I might have thought, Wow, people are going to be streaming music instead of buying it physically. I ought to get on the ground floor of whoever's doing that.
Speaker 3: I don't remember what was going on in two thousand and three, that's clear back in like Napster days, wasn't it Like.
Speaker 7: That's exactly because I was trying to think, why would he be talking about this? But this is when Napster and LimeWire were really big for people pirrating music.
Speaker 3: Now, Michael, you or someone that you knew, not you, you wouldn't do that. Now I've someone you knew used to get pirated movies like somehow do you remember how they had all.
Speaker 4: Sorts of burning DVD software that yeah, people could do and.
Speaker 3: They would just find him on websites online.
Speaker 4: You could find him online, you could uh take to physical media and then copy it. There are things that got around the You know.
Speaker 3: Can that same person still do that to this day or is it harder now?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 2: I'm sure you can.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you can definitely do it today. But it just not makes sense.
Speaker 4: Find point that's yeah, it doesn't make many sense.
Speaker 1: So I guess Ben Affleck's point was what you're calling pirrating and and file sharing and all that is clearly the way things are going and and and.
Speaker 3: Well you didn't he didn't catch his his uh term and for whatever reason, his Boston accent was really coming out there. Did he not work as hard back then to get rid of his his share where it's wicked kiss and smart the share where.
Speaker 2: You got to have the shareware.
Speaker 3: That was kind of funny. Oh yeah, with the sharewere.
Speaker 8: Packy cots, Jimmy's getting He's got shareware for you. You give you a floppy diss just take it from him. Well, it's another How smart is that Celebrity Wednesday?
Speaker 3: Next Wednesday will do Leonard DiCaprio Idiot or Genius, Armstrong and Getty