Speaker 1: I am all in.
Speaker 2: All it's you.
Speaker 3: I am all in with Scott Patterson and iHeartRadio Podcast.
Speaker 1: Hey everybody, Scott Patterson, I am all in pop Culture, Season six, Episode one, New and Improved, Lorelei, iHeart Radio one eleven productions. I am here with my Intrepid crew. Part of my Intrepid crew. Uh Tar sued and we don't see her, but we do hear her.
Speaker 3: I know my camera's broken.
Speaker 1: She's in the cloud. She's coming. She's AI voice generated.
Speaker 3: It's not even the real me.
Speaker 1: It's not even the real Amy's sugarman.
Speaker 3: I still laugh. I wish people knew like I get in the best mood because the behind the scenes right before we start is actually so funny. We talk about like fifty things, everyone has technical problems, and then we're just like, all right, let's just go.
Speaker 4: It's like, let's just start.
Speaker 3: Anyone that things were like an organized professional group is so mistaken.
Speaker 4: And you would think, like, after all this time, we'd have like all the tech stuff figured out.
Speaker 3: Scott's like, why is this cordal curly? Why is this cordal curly?
Speaker 4: Let me try and straight and do I sound good?
Speaker 3: Do I sound good?
Speaker 1: Whatever?
Speaker 4: Scott's defense. He just he just went to canvas.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's got all new equipment.
Speaker 1: I got this fancy new mic though this this mic yeah sounds good. Yeah, and I'm and now we've got using my own computer now. So yeah, Actually, your hackers come on in. Oh you teen hackers in Europe and Australia, go ahead the way.
Speaker 3: I won't even talk about it right now because people get so irritated when we side talk. But that Vegas hacking was crazy.
Speaker 4: Oh my, my dad was there the weekend it happened, so he we had it. We have a condo in Vegas and with all that flooding, the roof caved in.
Speaker 3: Oh, so he had to go deal with it.
Speaker 4: So we had to go deal with it. And he was staying at I don't know which resort. It was an MGM resort and he was there for one night and he got a five hundred dollars charge for the mini bar and he was like, he's like what in the world. So we called and he's like, hey, this is a mistake and they were like, no worries, like we'll take care of it. And then that's when the day of the the news came out that the hack.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, yeah, bananas. Anyway, we digress. Don't write us letters?
Speaker 1: All right? Kids? You want to get you want to you want to start digging into this?
Speaker 3: Definitely you want me to start this. I'm not at doing funky town.
Speaker 1: Come on, man.
Speaker 3: This was actually one of my favorite parts of the episode because so Loralai rushes Luke out of the diner to celebrate their engagement and lives to this, where are we going to funky town? And then tell the best part of it is the couple lines after when she's like, was it the funky tone? Was it fun?
Speaker 1: So?
Speaker 3: Funky Down is a song by Lips Inc. And it was released by Casablanca Records in March nineteen eighty. Laurelai makes this reference because the lyrics of the song pine for a metaphorical place that will keep me moving, keep me grooven with some energy. I never I mean, I just always think about won't you take me too? Funky?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Man, that song doesn't get you move in your battery powered laurel I telling Taylor that she and Luke are engaged. Taylor, I thought there was a better chance of all for the Beatles getting back together than you two ever calming down long enough to get engaged. In nineteen seventy McCartney Paul McCartney said in a press release that he was no longer working with the group, which sparked a widespread media reaction and worsened a tension between him and his bandmates. Let's just call it what it is. John Lennon Leal and you know at that time George Harrison wanted out too. He couldn't because they weren't using his songs.
Speaker 3: You know this, didn't he write some of the best songs.
Speaker 1: I think they rejected songs like my guitar gently weeps and like really like massive songs. And they didn't. They just dominated. John and Paul dominated the songwriting. Georgia had enough anyway, legal disputes he got so well. Legal disputes continued long after his announcement, and the disillusion was not formalized until December twenty ninth, nineteen seventy four. After Lenin's murder tragic murder in nineteen eighty I'll never forget that day. The surviving members reunited for the Anthology project in nineteen ninety four, using the unfinished Lenin demos Free as a Bird and Real Love as the basis for new songs recorded and released as the Beatles. Interesting, yeah, I mean they were together. They were together since. I mean they were together fourteen fifteen years since, like fifty five or something like that.
Speaker 3: I saw Paul McCartney live who did You Really? Yeah? At my in Berkeley at the Football Stadium, and it was rad. I'm not gonna lie. It was very rare. You know.
Speaker 1: They made a demo tape for a record company after I think after they'd played in Hamburg for a little while, because they went to Hamburg all as like teenagers except for I think Ringo was twenty and they were so tight as a band. They went make this demo tape I think in London and they didn't get the record deal. And you should hear the demo tape. Oh my god, it's fantastic.
Speaker 3: Can you imagine the people to turn them down?
Speaker 1: Oh god, can you imagine? Did they have jobs after that? Well? Who knows? Tyr you want to grab one? Are you busy producing a.
Speaker 4: Little multitasking here today?
Speaker 1: Let's do it all right?
Speaker 4: So Luke is looking for alcohol to toast with. Luke says nothing, no wine, no beer, no cooking Sherry. It's like Dylan Thomas just blew through town. Dylan Thomas was a Welsh poet and writer whose works include the poems do Not Go Gentle Into That good Night and Death Shall Have No Dominion, as well as the play for Voices Under milk Wood, The Bikers in Town Wipe tailor Supply. So Luke compares the bikers to Dylan Thomas because he was an alcoholic.
Speaker 1: Huh.
Speaker 4: I wouldn't have got that one. I didn't get that one.
Speaker 3: Rory asked how Laura Lai handled the news. You know your mother, Rory. Everything's the end of the world, so dramatic ladies and gentlemen. Lauraai Barrymore, which I actually did laugh because I got this reference because it has to do with It's not Drew Barrymore, it's actually her.
Speaker 1: Father, I think also Lionel.
Speaker 3: No her father, it's all the barrymorees. I think they all kind of had drama. So this one might in fact be referencing Drew, but when I took it, I took it as the other Barrymore. But anyway, we'll talk about.
Speaker 1: Drew Wellore was that great Shakespearean actor or the grandfather or the great grandfather. But yeah, they were yeah.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, that's the that's the grandfather. I think we had to go through the family tree. But they might have been referencing Drew Barrymore because she had sort of that tumultuous, dramatic teenage years. So she was an et as everybody knows, she was girty, and then she went on to do more I think fire Starter, I can't remember which came first, but then she had those rough teenage years where she was kind of bad. And remember she was like in clubs. She was at oh my god, what's that big famous club that was in New York something fifty.
Speaker 1: Two of Studio fifty four, Studio.
Speaker 3: Fifty more when she was like six years old. And then remember she flash David Letterman. So anyway, it's in references sort of to me, the Barrymore sort of family and all the drama, which is ironic because through Barrymore just recently got herself into a little hot water. I was going to say with the strike, because she was going to bring her show back. Then she apologized but was still going to bring it back. Then people kind of dragged her so much that now she didn't bring it back.
Speaker 4: I feel like her intentions were there though, because she was saying, like her staff, you know, needs to get paid and stuff like that. Wasn't that the main Yeah, I think it's.
Speaker 3: Tough because these people don't know what to do. It seems like people are much happier with this decision.
Speaker 1: I mean, you know, we were shooting on Sullivan's crossing, but it's because it's Canadian show, right, and.
Speaker 3: You have a waiver which people shouldn't know.
Speaker 1: Well, sure, and they gave way. They give waivers to a lot of productions that are foreign, right, but maybe have one or two Americans in the cares the American strike, right, if Chad and I struck, you know, if we went on strike, this production would shut down.
Speaker 3: And it's unstruck work because it's not right. It's not a sag it's a Canadian.
Speaker 1: Show correct, correct, But it would if we if we went on strike, you know, that would put you know, hundreds of Canadians out of work. But you want to have solidarity, and then you know, it's just like walking that fine line. What's what do you do?
Speaker 3: That's exactly right? It's very kind of confusing what you're supposed to do. I mean, luckily you guys are not You've got you're good to do it. H Yeah, and we will be watching it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But you know, to our brothers and sisters out there, we support you one percent. Yeah.
Speaker 3: It's tough. It's really tough. And it's going on a really long time.
Speaker 1: I mean, they have a fund where people you know, have to stand in line for you know, hours to get a couple hundred bucks worth of groceries. It's it's in burbankers in the sweltering heat. It's really tough out there. Yeah, and I hope we can get a fair deal. I really do. It's really important for so many people, so many creatives, you know, it really really is. So anyway, well on to start.
Speaker 4: I was gonna say, Amy, this one I just did.
Speaker 3: I think this is Scott.
Speaker 1: I want to do one story the intercom Emily would just push a button away like Star Tracks. Star Trek is an American science fiction media franchise created in the sixties. The television series became a worldwide pop culture phenomenon and expanded into various films, video games, novels, and comic books, becoming one of the most recognizable and highest grossing media franchise of all time. On on ship communications achieved via communicator panels.
Speaker 3: On this it was legit. It was legit. It was you know how they would talk to each other.
Speaker 1: What a show?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 1: And sometimes to the use of video phones. Well offship, the crew carried handheld communicators that flipped.
Speaker 3: Those were pretty legit too. Wait did you watch Star Trek?
Speaker 1: Oh? Sure everybody did.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And did you watch did you watch any of the other ones since, like Star Trek the Next Generation? Like all the millions that there are now? I watched Star Trek the Next Generation? Not really, and I watched all the movies, and I watched the Chris Pine version of the movies.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I saw that one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm into this. I love Star Trek. They obviously they use a lot of Star Trek pop culture references on Gilmour Girls. There's definitely somebody that's a big fan in the writing team, because.
Speaker 1: I think it's I think it's Dan. Yeah. Between that, I don't think Amy grew up a Trecky. I think grew up a Trek.
Speaker 4: I was gonna say, between that and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's a few that definitely Oh my gosh, the irony is the next one.
Speaker 4: Well, that's why I'll go on this one, ye. Paris tells Rory she's meeting more of Doyle's family and he's the tallest in his family. Paris says, yep, family get together is like a Lollipop Guild convention. I have to stop myself from asking how it's going at the Chocolate Factory. Paris is referring to the movie The Wizard of Oz. The Lollipop Guild was a group of munchkins in the Munchkin Country who welcomed Dorothy Gail to Oz with song and dance upon her arrival. The munchkins are very short. Paris is referring to the nineteen sixty four novel Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl, which was adapted into the films Willy Wonka the Chocolate Factory in nineteen seventy one, as well as Charlie and the Chocolate Factory in two thousand and five. In the film, Willy Wonka has several oop balloompas working in the factory who are very short, and Paris is comparing Doyle's family to the umballumpas and the Munchkins. My goodness, and there's a new there's a new one with Timothy Shallomey coming out.
Speaker 1: Oh really, Yeah, that's great?
Speaker 4: Is he he's Yonka Willie Wonka?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, so he's the new Johnny Depp.
Speaker 4: Yeah, basically, yeah. I feel like it's gonna be good. Like I can see him in that character. I mean him in the character.
Speaker 3: I love the whole story, and there's parts that kind of creep me out. Yeah, And I got that found thing where I'm like, you know what I mean, I just.
Speaker 4: Don't know if we need an I didn't know if we need another out of picture of the movie.
Speaker 3: Paris asks Rory if Rory wants to move in with Paris and Doyle, Very, Bob, Carrol, Tedanalice minus Bob, Bob and Carol and Ted and Alice were It was in nineteen sixty nine American comedy drama, which I have never heard of, really, Natal never I know, and I know Natalie Wood and Robert Coulpe to me is from the Greatest American Hero Think Elliott Gould, who is Ross and Rachel's dad on Friends, and Diane Cannon, who is a famous Lakers fan. Those are sort of my at least I know all the players.
Speaker 1: Diane Cannon was one of the most dynamic and glamorous actresses of her time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Elliott also was in Ocean's Eleven.
Speaker 1: Yes, Elliot Cole was in at Elliott Goule was a movie star in the sixties and seventies.
Speaker 3: And Robert Colp was also.
Speaker 1: In These were these were the biggest names of their day. Yeah, what was the film.
Speaker 3: What was that Bill Cosby show that he was in with Robert Colp?
Speaker 1: Oh sure that was, oh that detective thing?
Speaker 3: Yeah, what was that called? It's not Yet Smart? It's the other one?
Speaker 1: Something with a spy in it. I spy, I spy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then Natalie would obviously we know and then which is still very kind of confused.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Diane Cannon. I used to see her gym all the time and no when I lived in La Yeah.
Speaker 3: And okay, keep me honest, but I think Diane Cannon's daughter m hmm, with Carrie Grant. Is that is that possibly right, Jennifer Grant? That was on nine o two on us.
Speaker 1: That is correct.
Speaker 3: Thank you for my facts, all right. Capturing the sexual revolution of the late sixties, this comedy presents two married couples, Bob and Carroll, and they're best friends, more traditional, Ted and Alice, who are free thinking and are ready for an open marriage, or so they think. Eventually, some latent sexual tension and long buried desires among the four come bubbling to the surface, or as making the joke that her living with Doyle in Paris would feel like an open relationship. Wait, this makes me want to watch Bob and Carroll.
Speaker 1: Oh no, it's classic film. It's good.
Speaker 3: And I'm already wondering how it ends.
Speaker 1: But yeah, we'll have to see you. That was in the era of like partner swapping. Oh my god, wife and husbands.
Speaker 4: Do you remember that show wife Swap?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: Is that a recent show?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it would be like, okay, this is what wife swap would be if you and your wife switched places with like, uh, Sally Struthers and her husband, I don't know if she has a husband, and you would be married to Sally Struthers just for a week, like no funny business, but like you would have to just learn to like kid and cook with Sally's strothers. So they'd have celebrities doing it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but that's the the scrubbed up version of it. Yeah, it's.
Speaker 4: Okay. So Kirk is talking about the old woman's the old Woman's ring, Kirk says, old widow Mason thought she was free to call O towards the end. Free to Call It was a Mexican painter known for her many portraits, self portraits, and works inspired by the nature and artifacts of Mexico. Inspired by the country's popular culture, she employed a native folk art style to explore questions of identity, post host colonialism, gender, class, and race in Mexican society.
Speaker 3: Hm.
Speaker 1: Hm, anybody see that one?
Speaker 3: I did not, but I familiar with Free to Call, though I am very I miss that. This was that? No, you know, was that the Palma Hyak did Salma Hiak?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the one she fought for for twenty years to get made or something. Yeah, I missed that one. Or we're gonna have to, you know, let's let's do a double feature. We'll do We'll do this one too.
Speaker 3: The next one I did not miss, although in hindsight I kind of wish I had.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think you're I think is it mean?
Speaker 3: I think Paris Helen Ali that Rory can't quit Yale it's logan that Christopher Atkins want to be is the reason she's suddenly Blue lagooning it right out of here. So this made me laugh because there is something kind of Christopher Atkins about Matt Zugree. So if you're young, you might not be as familiar with Christopher Atkins. If you're my age, you definitely had a crush on him. So Christopher Atkins is an American actor. He had this blonde hair and he starred in nineteen eighties The Blue Lagoon with Brookshields. At the time, every teenager was like watching this movie, But after watching the Brookshields documentary, I'm like it was creepy, Like it was not appropriate. Blue Lagoon is about two children who are shipwrecked on a tropical island in the South Pacific with no adults to guide them. The two make a simple life together, unaware that sexual maturity will eventually intervene, Like they eventually have a baby together, and like were they cousins, Like I don't know, I don't want to speak incorrectly, but can someone Like it was a little much and they were like way too young to be Like I don't know. The whole thing now looking back, I'm like, why did I watch this? Paris is making the blue Lagoon reference as Rory and Logan stole the yacht. He thinks they want to run off together and have their own life and no one to intervene. I'm not even sure if that's right, like quite on the nose there, but I don't know. Watch the Brookshields documentary.
Speaker 1: Mm hmmmuh okay, Paris telling Laurel I that Rory can't quit Yale. Paris. I need her to be at Yale. Rory has been my only real competition since she showed up at Chilton. She is the only one who ever challenged me. She's a pace car. She's Bjorn Borg. Bjorn Borg is a Swedish former number one tennis player between seventy four and eighty one. Nineteen seventy four nineteen eighty well he became the first man in the Open era to win eleven Grand Slam single titles, with six at the French Open and five consecutively at.
Speaker 3: Did he wear Fela or no? Who were yes?
Speaker 1: Yes? And a headband and a long brown Paris and he just stayed on the baseline and just hit it back.
Speaker 3: Was he did he have the big competition with Connor's Jimmy Connor.
Speaker 1: No, he well, yeah, but it was really McEnroe.
Speaker 3: It was Macenroe. O.
Speaker 1: It was mac and they had epic battles and tennis, so it was it was so the Borg and McEnroe finals in Wimbledon the US Open were classic.
Speaker 3: In our text. So we obviously have like a group text with all of us, and lately every time text Scott something like can you do one o'clock and instead of a thumbs up, he sends us a tennis ball?
Speaker 4: Is it tennis or is it like.
Speaker 3: A tennis ball?
Speaker 1: Because I'm trying to express through emojis, how how happy the text made me, Like, I'm so happy I could play badminton.
Speaker 4: I honestly thought that like you were gonna send like a tappy face and then accidentally hit like the emoji.
Speaker 1: Next, my manager's trying to schedule a call with me today. You know, she's in California, and yeah, so she says, how's uh, I'm gonna call you at like one o'clock. We got to talk about some things. So I sent her. I sent her a badminton racket and a shuttle, and she she types back, She goes I have no idea what this means, but I'll try you around.
Speaker 3: I'm going to just every time in our group text now when there's something instead of putting like thumbs up, I'm just gonna literally send the randomnest emoji I can find, like a sandwich and.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's that's what you do. That's what you do anyway. Bjorn Borg was coined as unbeatable and was a fierce component, you mean, competitor. He was a fierce component in the in the wheels of the engine of professional tennis. He was, you know, maybe the the crankshaft. I don't know, but he apparently. The rumor is he was in such great shape. His heart rate was around forty beats per minute. Oh wow, yeah, impressive. Oh yeah. He just used to wear people down. He never got tired. Yes, the unbeatable Swede. I like it.
Speaker 4: Rosemary's talking about her bad haircut. Rosemary says it was a tragic haircut. It was apocalyptic highlights. I looked like a Tim Burton character.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 4: Tim Burton is an American filmmaker, animator, and artists. He's known for the gothic fantasy and horror films such as Beetlejuice, Edward Scissorhands, and The Nightmare for Christmas. His characters are defined by the exaggerated features long frizzled hair, baggy eyes, gaggly limbs, etc. And didn't he do the Charlie and the Chocolate Factory with Johnny Depp?
Speaker 1: I'm sure he did. He's done all those things, hasn't he. Yeah, he's done a lot of yea great movies.
Speaker 4: I do you like Tim Burton?
Speaker 1: A visionary? A true visionary?
Speaker 3: Amy Michelle complaining about the sweaty biker another like literally just relatable for me. I have no intention of catching jocket on my forearm because mister breaking Away over there can't shower before I invade my den's face. Breaking Away is a nineteen seventy nine American film that follows a group of four male teenagers in Bloomington, Indiana, who have recently graduated from high school. Dennis Christopher, Dennis Quaid, Daniel Stern, Jackie Earl Haley, Barbara Barry, Paul Dooley, and Robin Douglas all starred in the film. The main character, Dave, played by Dennis Christopher, is obsessed with competitive bicycle racing. The four friends face opposition from all corners as they decide to make Dave's dreams come true in the university's annual bicycle endurance race.
Speaker 1: Wasn't he That wasn't the lead character. He was obsessed with being Italian. I never saw this movie ever breaking Away. It's like he saw it like he would He would speak in Italian maybe, but I don't know, but he had an Italian accent. He wanted to be a great Italian biker.
Speaker 3: To watch this movie too, there's so many like.
Speaker 1: Ram Well, that's a great but I think that maybe it was a different movie. Okay. Michelle answers the door at Loralized House. Michelle, I am here and not at the Dragonfly, in which I theoretically run when I am not busy answering phones like Benson. Benson is an American television sitcom that originally aired on ABC from nineteen seventy nine to nineteen eighty six. The show stars Robert Gillome in the title role of Benson Dubois, the head of the household for Governor Eugene.
Speaker 3: X, but in the run of the series, he went from that to being Lieutenant Governor. What Yeah, Benson In the show Benson. He started out as the head of household affairs. Then he became state budget director and eventually became Lieutenant governor.
Speaker 2: And I watched this show back then, in the show, in the show, Yeah, Robert Gillome went on to do sport He was in Sports Night, which was such a good shows, an Aaron Sorkin show before.
Speaker 3: West Wing, and it was really good, really good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I read for that. I remember Sports Night. I read for that, did you. Yeah, everybody read for these things. Everybody read for him. Yeah, Robert, are you want to finish the things I could tell you that I read for you wouldn't believe.
Speaker 3: Oh my god. Yeah, I wish you would have gotten Sports Night. Sorry not to be an ass, but.
Speaker 1: Well I do too. At the time, I really wanted it.
Speaker 3: You could have been on West Wing if you got Sports Night, because a lot of the Sports Night people he then brought back for West Wing.
Speaker 1: I read from Modern Family too. I didn't get that one.
Speaker 3: Who were you supposed to be.
Speaker 1: The lead guy? The husband?
Speaker 4: Oh, Tyberrell Tybrew?
Speaker 3: Yes, so you're going to be married to Julie Bowen.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean I didn't get the role, did I? Well?
Speaker 3: Oh, my god, that would be a funny show, just all the parts I never got.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, exactly, boy, I tell you, that would be a much longer show than the than the show that the parts that I did get, Oh my god, longer.
Speaker 3: But you'll always have Saw.
Speaker 1: I did not read for that. I was I was die in Saw.
Speaker 3: Just tell me, did you die and Saw?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, I'm gonna have to watch it. I always end up watching Saw one again. You know it's coming back. There's gonna be a new Saw.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Those movies are the scariest breaking movies.
Speaker 1: Truly, tell you. I tell you, make sure you watch those films before you have a meal.
Speaker 3: First. I actually had a panic attack. It was so scary. I was like, this is so uncomfortable.
Speaker 4: They're all like, all right, and then we have one more. You do it, Tara, Okay. Lorelai drops off the rest of Rory's stuff. Lorlai says, The Scorpion and the Frog, it's an old tale. The Scorpion and the Frog is an animal fable that teaches that vicious people cannot resist hurting others, even when it is not in their own interests. This fable seems to have emerged in Russia in the early twentieth century.
Speaker 3: Hmm, man, all right, kids, great stuff, guys, that.
Speaker 1: Is gonna do it.
Speaker 3: It was a good one, really good. I'm only jumping off because I have a meeting. Talk to y'all later.
Speaker 1: Okay, nice talking to you, Bye bye anyway, that's gonna wrap it up. Here for pop culture for season six episodes, Oh no, Episode one new and improved Loralai Uh, thank you everybody. Thank you Amy, who just had to click off because she has a big important meeting with big important people and big important building somewhere in a big important city. Ah Tarasuit, thank you so much. You're also producing this episode, so man, you got your work cut out for you. Don't show. Oh my gosh. Thanks everybody, best fans on the planet. Keep those cards and letters coming, and remember we and I am all In.
Speaker 5: Stay safe everyone, everybody, and
Speaker 1: Also again, follow us on Instagram at I Am all In podcast and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com.