Speaker 1: A deep dive on the sudden coaching change in Milwaukee Adrian Griffin, Doc Rivers, all things Bucks. We will get into that, as well as some talk about the All Star starters and pizza. All that to come next here on this League Uncut.
Speaker 2: Welcome to this League uncut.
Speaker 1: Can you rule a twenty four hour NBA news?
Speaker 2: This's you'll, Chris Haynes, it's time, Mark Stein, It's so time. This League Uncut is underway and on fire.
Speaker 1: This should be a good one. Hey, everyone, welcome into the latest edition of This League Uncut. Mark Stein here with Chris Haynes. We are recording on Thursday night. It's our first chance to connect Chris and I a wild Tuesday night in the Association. Tuesday, of course, Chris was working the sidelines for Clippers at Lakers in the Los Angeles Darby Except. Earlier Tuesday, the whole NBA was rocked by the news that the Milwaukee Bucks abruptly dismissed first year coach Adrian Griffin. It took them another day roughly to hash out a deal with Doc Rivers to take over as the Bucks' new coach. We've talked a ton about the Bucks this season, but we really got to get into this now because this one was again a pretty seismic story in the NBA. We've since seen another coaching change. On Thursday, Washington announced that Wes Unsel Junior is going to be moving into a front office role. Brian Keith has been handed the interim coaching title with the Wizards, But the first coaching change of the season happens with a team that was thirty and thirteen at the time of the move, only the Cleveland Cavaliers with David Blatt eight years and a day earlier. Who will forget the Cavaliers ousting David Blatt and replacing him with Tearan Lu halfway through a season that saw the Cavaliers go all the way to the championship and from three to one down in the finals, erase the Cleveland curse that had lasted more than fifty years, the Cavs coming from three to one down under Tylu to win the first and only championship in franchise history in twenty sixteen. Chris Haynes, you know the Bucks as well as anyone, So gotta get your reaction, your insight here, because look, we've talked about it a bazillion times on this show. We've been talking about it since October, since Terry Stotts abruptly left the coaching staff before we even got to opening night. But even with all the tumult and as often as we've talked about the Bucks and what they've been going through this season, there was still a huge part of me that I didn't think we were going to see an in season coaching changed. Maybe I was too naive. Tell me where I misread.
Speaker 2: Things, Well, you weren't. You were not alone. I was a little bit naive as well. But I will say that I was here in the last couple of weeks. I was hearing something could go down. I didn't take it seriously. The reason I didn't take it seriously, and maybe I should have. But listen, let me tell you stein you brought up. Excuse me, Prince, my dog is making an appearance. He's barking at somebody back there in my yard.
Speaker 1: Prince cannot believe we're talking about the Bucks again.
Speaker 2: So Stott, I was covering that. I was the beat writer for that Cass team when they ousted Black in January, and they had a good record at the time too. The Cass so this is similar, very similar. But I will say yes, I was hearing things last few weeks of Adrian Griffin's tenure with the Bucks, and I didn't believe it. The reason why I didn't believe it or take it seriously was they were already paying coach Bootonholzer, who I think is making around eight million a year. I think he has a few years left on his deal, you know, then Adrian Griffin's salary. Then I was like, they will, they would, they would hire I was thinking to myself, they would hire another head coach, because I was thinking like, if they did hire another head coach, it would have to be a high profile coach. You're not making a I'm not gonna say a mistake, but you're not going in that same direction of hiring a someone who's probably inexperience to high level players. So it had to be another a high profile coach, and then you have to pay him a high profile salary. So I'm like, they would pay three head coaches at the same time. I just didn't think that would happen. Well, it happened, and what I was being told and all the signs I would hear turned out to be accurate. So I say all that to say this is that it was explained to me because I didn't understand the move. It was explained to me that when they hire Adrian Griffin Stein, you can tell me what you heard as well. When they hire Adrine Griffin. They didn't know at the time. Remember that was a higher in June of twenty twenty three. They did not know if they were going to bring back Chris Middleton. He was going to be a free agent, he had that option. They didn't know if brook Lopez was going to resign. They didn't know what Giannis was gonna do, you know, he they didn't know if he was going to sign an extension. And then he remember Gianni's making you know, he had some comments and certain articles out there about you know, I could win here, I could win elsewhere. It's like you just didn't know where he was leaning towards, pretending to his future. So they felt very comfortable at the time hiring asan Griffin, somebody who hadn't been a head coach yet in the NBA. And then when they had the opportunity to trade for Dame and they did, they that you know, that changed things now, so that That's the explanation that was told to me. Things changed and they got Dame, and throughout this four month's tenure that Griffin had as actually being as actually coaching, there was just there was disconnect. There was you know, I did go as far as to say that I believe he lost the locker room at one point. I think Griffin would be a really good coach. He didn't sign up for. What he signed up for is not what he had at the latter ends of his tenure here with the Bucks, and so bestides hear me out. So I told you how it was explained to me as far as the rationale and what happened along the way. But you can make the argument that even if you didn't know what was going to happen with all those players, you know, you still got Yiannis locked up for a few years, and if you still got Jans, you still got jew Holliday. You're still expected to compete for a championship, right, So I get that the team is probably a little bit more high profile now, the expections are a little bit higher, but you're still expected to compete for a championship. I'm just telling everybody, how was explained to me as far as the rationale of why they hired him, hired him and why they fired them, and you can read it to it how you feel. What's your tam, sir.
Speaker 1: The David Blat Calves can could make that argument because the David Black, you know, David Blatt got that job before Lebron James said he was coming back to Cleveland, before the Cleveland Cavaliers brought in Kevin Love to join Lebron James and Kyrie Irving. In the David Blat scenario, it really was a different team from what Blat was hired to coach and what the Calves became. The Bucks, to me, cannot make that argument. I'm sorry because you said it. It doesn't matter if they didn't know Middleton was resigning, if they didn't know brook Lopez was resigning, if janis Antetokumpo is on the roster, you know, oh, your season is judged as championship or bust, no matter what. And you know it's funny you talked about the kind of rumbles you've been hearing the last couple of weeks. The same thing happened to me and I wrote about this on my sub stack the other day one of my most trusted NBA informants. I always believe this person when they tell me something too. I look back in my notes two weeks exactly before the Bucks announced that Adrian Griffin was being dismissed, My informant said Terry Stotts would be coaching this team right now if he was still there. And I said, yep, I took it on board. But I just thought to my you know, nah, I mean the Bucks, they're not going to fire Adrian Griffin halfway through the season after they hired him, after you fire Mike Budenholzer in the wake of five re successful seasons and a championship, and they're only gonna give Adrian Griffin half a season. And I was proven right, But there ain't no victory lap because I was right by all of two games Game forty three. Two games passed the midpoint, and the Bucks went through and did it and validated all this noise. And you know, again, like as I kind of talked about at the top on this show, we've we've talked about Terry Stotts leaving the staff before opening night, we talked about Jannis being clearly upset, subbed out of a game against Boston, a national TV game and basically checked back in. I remember there was a reporter named Chris Haynes who reported about how Bucks players went to Adrian Griffin and urged him to receive store more of last season's defensive coverages because they didn't like the coverages that Adrian Griffin wanted to bring in. And I remember also that reporter, a certain Chris Haynes telling us after the end season tournament about how Bobby Portis registered some challenges to the first year coach after the Bucks lost in the IST semifinals. It's been one, two, three, four. It's just been one thing after another since this thing, since since the season has started, really, and it just it is clear that he struggled. Adrian Griffin struggled to get buy in from this group as a first year coach. And it's been happening really from the jump.
Speaker 2: And I would say, Stein, you know, I was able to speak with Coach Griff after he was let go. Let me just read his quote. They didn't want I'll tell you about something else that happened. I wrote about it in my story, but this quote is from Griff. He said, I appreciate the opportunity the Bucks gave me. You can't control everything. I feel good about the job we did. I appreciate I appreciate my coaching staff for all their hard work. I always wanted to be a head coach in this league. I couldn't have asked for a better roster. I got to coach Giannis Dame Chris Brooke. That's a dream come true. Hopefully I get another shot at it, but overall, I'm just thankful that was Adrian Griffin.
Speaker 1: We got to be one of the classiest things. It's got to be one of the classiest responses to such a tough situation that we've ever heard. It is really hard not to feel for Adrian Griffin, who has been an assistant coach for a long time and waiting for an opportunity like this for a long time, and for it to end so quickly and so unceremoniously, and for him to handle it the way he did.
Speaker 2: Man, Yeah, and that was that was pretty so after he was fired. That when he when he asked the phone and gave me that. Remember he told me he interviewed for NBA head coaching job on fourteen different occasions. Throughout a thirteen year period.
Speaker 1: That's crazy. And remember we have Remember we had Darvin ham On in the summer and it was ten, so that's four more than Darvin.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's tough. Really, I really feel for him, but I think he's look, man, they were thirty and thirteen. Come on. Yeah. The way it was explained to me as well as like that, the Bucks wanted to see a little bit more convincing wins. You can give them that. Defensively, they've been struggling throughout the whole season. Their offense has really carried them. Transition d has been abysmal, but at the end of the day, they've been getting the job done. You know, the Indiana Patriers seemed that I've had their number this season. But what I want to say is after that n season tournament, I wrote about it that story for Bleacher Report, Griff called a meeting, a meeting with Jannis, Dame, Brooke, and Chris Middleton. And the way it was told to me, Griff was challenging all of them, no hols, bar challenging them, telling them, you know, one of the challenges I can say is like getting on Dame for making the right reads, Giet giving up the ball early, getting on Janni's for not finding guys, taking on three guys at a time and transitioning and guys being open on the perimeter like he was, Like Griffin was calling guys out, challenging them, and that that session like it was, it was allowed to Well what that session was, it was just an air and out session. Say what's wrong, Say what's wrong with me, Say what's wrong with your teammates. Let's get it all out clear, Let's get it out now. And I was told that that session lasts for about a few hours and it was pretty productive. And you know, again the way it was explained to me is Griff was really going at him, like going out his star players, his core guys, those four and after that nd season tournament loss when they had that air and out session right after, they went on to win seven in a row, and to extend that a little bit further, they went on to win nine of their last ten. So it was a very productive session. Everybody got you know, it seemed like everybody was buying in. But then it kind of went back downhill from there. And so I give Griff and a lot of credit. Man, he tried his best and you know, I believe he believes that he needed more time. You know, this is a new team. It takes time to to get everybody on the same page to jail. Giannis has never played with somebody like Dame. Dame's never played with somebody like Giannis. He felt like he did a good job considering all the factors that were in play.
Speaker 1: And I think what's clear based on you know, we can make this judge watching the way the Bucks have handled this season. They clearly don't feel like they have time. Even with Giannis after the Damian Lillard trade, even with Yannas signing a new three year extension, the Bucks are still operating in a manner that conveys that they don't feel like they have time. Because, you know, in our previous podcast, you know, a week ago, what did you report last Friday? You reported that the Bucks were trying to make their way into the trade chase for de Jonte Murray. And my takeaway from that is, look, the Bucks do not have many trade assets left after going out and getting Dame. But to me, the big takeaway from Milwaukee's interest in Dejonte Murray is just the desperation, just the pressure that They clearly feel that they have to make another move, even after bringing in Dame, because of the defensive deficiencies that we've seen all season. This team's been in the bottom third of the league defensively and not again, realistically, can they trade for de Jontey Murray. It's gonna be really hard for them to trade for de Jontay Murray. But just the fact that they want to give it a try shows you they realize that things are not going the way they mapped it out. And then when they make such an abrupt coaching change, it slams home the idea that they realize this is their big move. Realistically, they're not gonna be able to make a major trade. We know they're gonna try to do something. You've I know you've been characterizing the Bucks as they're gonna be aggressive and trying to find anything they can do, anything they can do before the deadline. But this is the move they knew they could make, as uncomfortable as it would be to make a coaching change now, and they did it.
Speaker 2: And that and that highlights an aspect of their how aggressive they are. Again, they are paying three head coaching salaries. That's pretty unprecedented right there. And these aren't three young, inexperienced head coaching salaries. You know, Adrian Griffin is pretty sure, you know, he wasn't making top flight NBA head coaching money. But Mike Budenholzer and Doc Rivers, that's a pretty penny right there. So it shows you, you know, it just exactly how urgent they are right now. And then again there's a window, be honest with dame, they have a window. This is a three four year window, that's about it. So you got to maximize that. And so again I wish I wish coach Adrian Griffin all the best. I hope he can get another job, I really do. That's that's just a it's a sad situation to have to wait that long and go through the coaching process that many times before getting your first head job, and then you get a prime gig and and then you're out midway through a four year deal. That's pretty unpressed in it's tin and yeahpe hopefully he could get another shot, all right.
Speaker 1: Well, before we move on to the Doc Rivers portion of this, because I do want to highlight one other thing I reported this week, because I.
Speaker 2: Look, yes you did Stan, Yes, you did. I know where you're going with.
Speaker 1: Look, Jani Sontetokumpo, this is going to be something that.
Speaker 2: You emptied the notebook clip. Stean, you emptied the note book clip.
Speaker 1: In the summer in May. I reported it. I know you reported it. I know we both heard it. The word started to emerge that Janis Antetokumpo, of the candidates that Milwaukee was looking at, that he was most intrigued with Adrian Griffin. And it was very curious because they have never, to my knowledge, worked together before. Adrian Griffin had been an assistant coach in a number of places on his way to getting the Milwaukee job, but he did not have a ton of previous working experience with Janis on Tetokumpo. So the fact that Jannis liked the idea of Milwaukee hiring Griffin, there were a lot of people around the league at the time in late May asking why, how where did this relationship come from? Well, in the months since and as things have kind of been rocky here in Milwaukee, the way it was described to me was that it was really more that Yannis did not want the Bucks to go in the direction of hiring Nick Nurse, who was very available after he left Toronto, and that rather than urged the Bucks to hire Nick Nurse, Jannis began championing Adrian Griffin. The word that was circulating at the time was he wanted a former player, and Adrian Griffin was the most notable former player who made the latter stages of the Bucks coaching search. I think Kenny Atkinson from the Warriors was also in there. But look, this is something, this is a storyline that I don't think will be going away because Philadelphia remains in contention for the Eastern Conference crown along with Milwaukee and Miami and of course Boston. But the Bucks really had the first lane toward hiring Nick Nurse and did not. And Nick Nurse has since gone on to Philadelphia, and you've seen the impact he's had on the Sixers as a whole, but really on Joel Embiid, who's probably playing the best basketball of his life. And this week, at the time of the firing, the Sixers were in the top five in both offense and defense, and the Bucks, while number two in offense, have again they've been twenty one twenty two range in defensive ratings. So look, hiring Doc Rivers. Now, however they got there, does create the possibility that the Bucks can fix this. Maybe now they have the coach they feel is the right coach who can steer this team into championship contention. And look, Doc Rivers has no shortage of critics around the league because of his player of shortcomings over the past decade plus. But look, I think Doc Rivers is going to very quickly get player buy in in Milwaukee, the player buy in that Adrian Griffin did not get. But I mean, this story just has so many layers. And like I said, we've been going now for a good fifteen minutes maybe more, and we've barely even talked about Doc.
Speaker 2: And that's where that's where this gets all interesting, because again, Philly has played some really good basketball. Boston plans some really good basketball. And these are his old these are two of his old stomping grounds, and now he's going to be asked to lead the charge to take down, potentially take down two of his two of his spots in spots in previous time. I think I think you know a bunch of players too. I'm gonna say it's stein a bunch of players. I would say star players, when I mean a bunch, I'll say it handful. So about five players star players. They called me and they asked me about Doc Rivers and they were like, man like, Doc, get these jobs. And my response to him or to them was who else would you hire? Because you have to understand what this Bucks team they are. It is desperation, it is urgent of the highest degree. You have to hire. They just let go of Ad and Griffin, and I think a large reason why was due to inexperience, regardless of why they hired them in the first place, whatever, But you have to bring in somebody with some cache, with some experience, who's with some experience, who has spent time coaching superstars, handling egos, handling personalities, handling depth because when you when you're handling depth like that's why you got to give ty Lou credit. Not only is he one of the best exit and os coaches, but he understands how to handle depth because then you're you're dealing with personalities, You're dealing with egos because you're limiting their minute distribution, and you have to you have to work through all of that. So who else is out there? Like? And that's why you know, and nobody could come up with a name. And this is what I was told. The Bucks were looking at, Doc Rivers, Jeff Van Gundy, Nate McMillan. It was a very short list, very short list. And if you're talking about those names, I know people hate hearing about recycled coaches, But who else is out there that's available with that experience that can come in to the locker room from day one and command the respect of these players? You know, you can talk about it, but you could talk about not liking the move or Doc's getting all these opportunities, But okay, who else is out there? Nobody can give me a name? How do you feel about that stund how you feel about like? Who else is out look?
Speaker 1: I mentioned it once and we will say it again. Over the past decade plus the championship with Boston in two thousand and eight, that was a long time ago, there have been numerous playoff disappointments for Doc's various teams in those intervening fifteen ish years, a lot of teams that didn't get passed round two, a lot of Game seven defeats, and Doc's gonna have to hear about that and answer that talk. Until he takes a team into the conference finals and beyond again. But to me, he was the obvious choice. If you're going to do something like this, I'm with you. I think he was really the only choice at this point, because, look, he can't change that personnel. The Bucks are still going to have defensive issues with the roster they have. But can he run more pick and roll with Giannis and Dame, something we have not seen as much of as some pundits anticipated. Can he, first of all, just get that group on the same page. I think he can, and I think he will. One more thing about the Bucks, at least for now. We will underline for now, because I don't think we're going to be done talking Bucks for a while here as Doc Rivers gets settled in there. Certainly the microscope will stay trained on the Bucks and how they react to this coaching change. But Milwaukee as a franchise has faced some additional criticism this week because it's been reported that in the month or so before Adrian Griffin's dismissal, the Bucks reached out to Doc Rivers to ask him to serve as a coaching consultant to Adrian Griffin, and that has certainly raised eyebrows. It has led to suggestions that Doc was angling for this job before it was open, and my issue with that is, I mean, I I've heard repeatedly since the season started how much Doc was enjoying the TV life, the media life. I really don't think he was desperate to get back into coaching this season. I felt like the consistent rumbles out there were that, you know, Doc, of course he was gonna come back and take a job eventually, but that a year off to do TV, to play golf and get some respite from the daily madness was not an idea of it. He didn't love the sound of I think he did love the sound of that, and now he is back in the hot seat again. What's been your take on all that chatter.
Speaker 2: I think if Doc has asked about that consultant role, I think if he's asked about it publicly, I think he'll refute that about behind the scenes, I'm hearing that that role was offered, but it sounds like he didn't accept that role of consultant. Griff. Uh, That's that's what I'll That's how it was.
Speaker 1: We got to dig more into that one. Because I'm with you I've heard the same thing. I heard that he was offered the consultant role and didn't really want it. So to what extent he was consulting Adrian Griffin, We're gonna have to We're gonna have to dig into that one a little bit more. And you know you said it too. You know, it'll be very interesting too hear from Doc Rivers when he is formally ushered in as the bucks new coach. You know, we've John Horst held a press conference on Wednesday after the Adrian Griffin dismissal and Joe Prunty coaching the Bucks as the interim coach. But we still have to hear from Doc Rivers, and again we will rest assured. We are not done talking about the Bucks of Milwaukee. They will remain very much in the news, and as you've been saying, they will. You know, they're a team that still wants to try to do something at this deadline. So let's see if they can still make a move of some sort to try to spruce up the roster as well. All Right, We're gonna move on now to some All Star discussion because the All Star starters were announced on this Thursday night. As Chris and I record, and look, we can go in a zillion different directions. We've now officially passed the midpoint of the twenty twenty three to twenty four regular season. We will most certainly be getting back to trade season, just under three weeks away from the trade buzzer promise that upcoming episodes will have lots of trade talk and almost anniversary time for US. January thirtieth, twenty twenty three was the date of the first edition of this league, uncut, and so we are getting very close to our one year anniversary, which is a stunning development in itself that we made it this far. But let's talk all stars. All joking aside, let's talk all stars. The starters were announced tonight. I mean, I wasn't terribly surprised by the results, but I guess it to on how you want to look at things in the Eastern Conference, zero surprise in the East front court, janas Antetokumpo, Joe l Embiid Jason Tatum are your three East starters. The backcourt Tyrese Halliburton for the hometown Indiana Pacers hosts of the event. And then I guess this is where the surprise element such as it was, came in Damian Lillard, yanas Antokumpo's teammate from the Milwaukee Bucks, he gets the other starting spot in the East, ahead of New York's Jalen Brunson. I'm sure Brunson is disappointed, but I think without question Brunson will be selected by East coaches next week for his first All Star appearance. And amazingly, for Damian Lillard, I believe this will be the first time he ever starts in the All Star YEP, which that did catch me a bit off guard. In the West, your starters in the front court Nikola Jokic, Kevin Durant and a certain thirty nine year old named Lebron James. And then in the backcourt. Again, I'm not shocked by this because remember voting is now fifty percent fans, but also twenty five percent media and twenty five percent players. For the All Stars. Shay Gilgis Alexander joins Luka Doncic as a starter in the West backcourt, which means Stephan Curry is not a starter, and that's mostly down to the fact that Steph slipped to number four in the media vote. But again I'm not hugely surprised there because Golden State struggles at nineteen and twenty two. Entering Thursday night's play again, not a massive surprise to me at least that he would slip some among media voters and open the door for SGA to barge into the starting lineup. But you've heard me prattle on enough. Chris Haynes, what was your reaction to the East and West starters?
Speaker 2: I was, I was surprised. We talked about this, what was it last month, and I was I was saying, hey, Stein, is there a scenario where Steph might not be the starter? Because I was, you know, I was making a case for SGA. I was making a case for Anthony Edwards, being that Minnesota Timbolves are number one, and just with the popularity is Steph. I still didn't see it. Even to the current time, I didn't see it. I still felt like, yes, when you're talking about the players in the media, they're largely going to vote for who's playing well that that season. You can bank on them. Media more so probably could bank on them to kind of get it right. Fan voting is fan voting. But I still thought what the popular is Steph is popular among his peers. I still thought Steph could get in via the fan excuse me, via the player vote. I didn't think media would. So as I look through this, excuse me, I'm in the East right now. So as I look through this, oh, you already said yes, Steph got and player ranking. Player vote he was third, and media he was fourth.
Speaker 1: So that's that's really heard a starting spot slipped to number four among the media. Look, I think if there's really, if there's a curveball here, it's that Jalen Brunson. He was number two among East guards in the media vote. The media backed Jalen Brunson as an All Star starter more than the fan vote. And that is because you think the Knicks have such a huge fan base that that's going to theoretically give Brunson an advantage. But I think it speaks to the fact that Damian Lillard, no matter what jersey he's wearing, Portland, Milwaukee, whatever, Damian Lillard is still a very very popular player. And the fan vote clearly proved that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the players selected Tyrese Halliburton and Tyrese Maxi one two players, media selected Halliburton and Brunson. One thing that's fascinating about this is like, where are we with the so called big market teams having an advantage? Right, Jalen Brunson is one of the biggest stars that Knicks have had in a long time. Why in that market in New York where they're winning. Jalen Brunson is a very likable player, a young star on the rise. Why was he only let me see fan voting he was? Why is why was he fifth in fan voting in the New York market? Why is that? Does market size mean anything?
Speaker 1: I think it's become a global game, and you you know, and that's it's it's not just if And I hope I have my facts straight here, because look, I gotta be honest. I typically do not get super worked up about the starters because the fan vote element is such a huge part of it and to me, the fans should get to see who they want to see. And so I what, you know, I'm always you know, supporting various changes in tweaks to the NBA system and they should change this, and they should change that, and they said they should fix this, but you know, all stars starters. To me, the fact that it is now fifty percent fan vote instead of one hundred percent fan vote, Like, that's not one that I was really clamoring for, just speaking purely for myself, because to me, you know, the fans want to see who they want to see, and I don't typically tend to quibble with that. But because it is fifty twenty five twenty five now instead of just one hundred percent fan vote, we're able to dissect these results even more and really put them under the microscope and try to figure out what it all means. Yeah, I mean, I'm you know again, neither one of these floored me. But you would have thought if Brunson only needed a higher fan vote placing to get that starting spot, that he probably would have.
Speaker 2: Okay, I have a question. This could be a controversial question, all right. My question to you Stein since they went to this format of picking starters by way of fans, media and players. The fans are the fans, like you said, it's about them. They want to see who they want to see. Then it's the media's job to try to uphold uphold the standards of which players are playing the best that particular season. So it's our jobs as the media to take away you know, we're not looking at popularity. We're not looking at who is the who whose game we like the best. It's about who's happened the best season that particular year. And then you have the players and put now Stein Ben Simmons has two votes by the players, Josh Hart has four votes. I can go on and on. I would encourage everybody to go look at the results, look at.
Speaker 1: Star votes through and compiles the list of amazing, it's crazy votes from fellow players in the All Star process. And yeah, that that bothers me, that you know.
Speaker 2: And Stein. The reason why I bring this up because it's funny every year. It really is funny every year. But the problem is is that by not really voting the right way, voting to who should really be an All Star, whoever you think really should be an All Star starter, you're taking votes away from guys who are probably that vote will make the difference, that vote will have them actually being a starter opposed to now having to rely on being called as an All Star reserve next week. And there's a lot like look at this list. These votes are spread throughout the league of guys who haven't played, guys that's not in the rotation. God, you know, what I'm saying. So it's like, I know players talk about having input in and listen, you can say it's a small sample size because they still have you know, they still had the right guys that overall they had the right guys in as starters. But there's a lot of votes just spread out and that you're just throwing them away in which those votes could be difference makers. And so I'm like, man, if y'all not gonna take it seriously, ah, I don't know. I don't know, am I making too big of a deal of.
Speaker 1: It, because there's always the talk that you know, in the media, we're dumb, we don't know what the hell we're talking about. But I think, look, I don't have the list in front of me, but if if I heard Ernie Johnson correctly, and if I'm remembering what Ernie Johnson and said during TNT's broadcast earlier tonight, I think the media had Anthony Edwards and Jalen Brunson on its respective All Star ballots as starters. And to me, that looks like pretty smart analysis by the media as a whole to recognize guys who played at a really, really, really elite level. Obviously, the media is choosing starters, or is theoretically at least choosing starters based on who they think is playing the best and most impactful basketball in the league. So yeah, you know, the media is constantly branded as not the best judge of talent in these circumstances. And I think when you see the voting results and we get these various player names, various guys getting All Star votes that clearly should not, it lets you know why the league keeps asking the media to vote on so many things, because nobody's going to do it perfect. Whoever is voting, people are going to take issue with it. If it was one hundred percent at fan vote, people would sit here and complain about player A, B or C being left off. When the coaches pick the reserves, we're going to have a huge discussion about snubs. It's the way it always is, no matter who's doing the voting. But I think history shows that the media as a collective is quite responsible and tries to bring the most objective lens to this as you can, and of course I'm saying it as biased as you possibly can as a member of the media, but again, look at the results. I think Anthony Edwards and Jalen Brunson do have very strong cases to be All Star starters.
Speaker 2: And again aside from not aside from these votes potentially swing if you're a starter or not, you know it has financial implications a well, you know, players have bonuses for being an All Star starter, so you plan with your money. So essentially, players, you're playing with your own money.
Speaker 1: Like I said, I generally save most of my entergy in terms of getting worked up about All Star matters. I save most of my energy for the reserves because that's where the coaches are doing it, and emotion is supposed to be taken out of it completely, and they're really supposed to be grading guys on performance, and then the whole team's success comes into the equation and we're going to have a great argument about who got snubbed. But year after year with the players voting, we see some wild votes cast let's.
Speaker 2: Say, just throwing them away, That's what's happening.
Speaker 1: Just throwing it away, all right, That is going to do it for this edition of this league, uncut. And yeah, I'm glad that that. I'm glad that that anniversary date popped into my head before we signed off because next week we will have two more episodes of This League Uncut. I have not yet been apprized of Chris Haynes's travel schedule for next week, whether he's working one or two games on the TNT sidelines, but we're gonna work around whatever travel is thrown his way to bring you two episodes.
Speaker 2: Let me let me announce it.
Speaker 1: Yes, please share this.
Speaker 2: Let me announce it. So I have I have Philly at Golden State on Tuesday. Golden State, Philly, Golden State on Tuesday. That's for TNT Dan Sty Right after that, it's not a TNT game. I'm hopping on a plane early in the morning. I'm head to Portland the Bucks Portland Dames return.
Speaker 1: How did I forget that? January thirty first. January thirtieth is the one year anniversary of this League Uncut. January thirty first, Damian Lillard plays as a visitor at the Moda Center the first time, and I knew you would be there, so you know what. We will have at least one pod before those two TV assignments, But something tells me we will have to wait for the second pod next week, the first official pod of year two of this league uncut. We will wait till after you cover that Bucks at Blazers game, because I know your notebook will be bursting after that trip to the Pacific Northwest.
Speaker 2: Looking very forward. Flying Pie Pizza, if you guys are ever in Portland, the best pizza in the country, Flying Pie for real.
Speaker 1: I've never heard you bring that up before.
Speaker 2: I want are you being outcast?
Speaker 1: I'm being one hundred percent. I've never heard you bring that up before. I want pictures and a full We're gonna do ten we might have to do ten minutes on We might have to do ten minutes on pizza next week. If you're that you feel that strongly about it.
Speaker 2: Hey, urinals and pizza.
Speaker 1: So done with urinals. I don't even want to hear the word until Steve Balmer is on this show. Pizza. We can talk about that all day. We can do a separate pizza pod. If you want to do a best Pizza on the NBA Map Show, we can tackle that. Because you're not mine, because my my pick is my pick will surprise you, but I do not. I am not aware. I am not aware of this pizza in Portland that you're touting. So now I'm.
Speaker 2: Flying pod I'm curious Stein. When we do this, I'm talking, when we do talk about pizza, a certain region in this great country of ours will be very pissed off at me. And I mean, i'm gonna say it, the Midwest don't mess with those pizza ste I don't mess with it.
Speaker 1: The whole Midwest. Get the whole Midwest.
Speaker 2: I'm really talking about Chicago staff.
Speaker 1: I'm not either. I'm with you.
Speaker 2: I'm not. I'm not. It's bunch of cheese, just just cheese.
Speaker 1: It's cheesy. I am a thin crust devote so I'm with you on that. All right. That will do it for this edition of This League Uncut. As always, we remind you to please follow the show, rate the show, review the show, Apple, Spotify, wherever you get your podcasts. A five star review would be greatly appreciated. If you have comments on anything we've discussed here today, including and maybe especially pizza, we welcome those as well. We'll be back with you next week with two more editions. Cannot believe this humble little enterprise is turning two years old. Thank you producer Ryan, Thank you mister Haynes for carrying me. We'll all be back with you. Very soon, and that'll do it for us.
Speaker 2: See you next time.
Speaker 1: This league Uncut is and Heart Radio Production.
Speaker 2: P suck a lock up
Speaker 1: Chris Hanes and Mark Stein