Speaker 1: You like to just baseball show and want to make your own, let me tell you about Anchor.
Speaker 2: It's free.
Speaker 1: There's a creation tool that allows you to record and edit your podcast right from your phone or computer. Now you can even add any song from Spotify directly to your episodes. The possibilities are endless for what you can create, whether it's music analysis, your own radio show, or something the world's never seen before. Anchor will distribute your podcast for you so it can be heard on Spotify, Apple Podcasts, and much more. You can make money from your podcast with no minimum listenership. It's everything you need to make a podcast in one place. So download the free Anchor app or go to anchor dot fm to get started.
Speaker 2: We will see you to welcome out Big Tuesday, Big Tuesday, twentieth Massive Tuesday. We're in the midst of an oat milk versus almond milk debate, and I I'm team almond man.
Speaker 1: So riddle me this. Actually it's not a riddle. I don't know why I start with. Riddle me this almond milk tastes a little bit worse, but oat milk I don't trust.
Speaker 2: Why do I trust?
Speaker 1: Because well, for I don't really like, I don't trust any of the milks they're made out of nuts or oats, so it's just water and then the nuts and then what.
Speaker 2: Wait, hold on, hold on, let me intro the pod. This is the Just Baseball Show. I'm Jack mcnill and he's Peter Ave. There. The intro of the pod is done. Now can we keep talking about nuts? Yeah? Yeah, and oats, nuts and oats, nuts, oats, and I'm the nut guy, not the oats.
Speaker 1: Make I feel like I'm I'm I'm thinking about it all in one swoop because I've never really given it a lot of salt. But I put oat milk or almond milk whatever I got. But I've never actually drank them by themselves.
Speaker 2: Have you ever? I have drank? No way you will buy itself?
Speaker 1: What just in a glass of almond Like just a glass of almond milk you're drinking and sip out.
Speaker 2: Of the cart And because I was curious, I was like, Okay, I'm making true.
Speaker 1: That's probably the only because like, when's the last time I had a cup of almond milk or oat milk?
Speaker 2: Never? Never? Never?
Speaker 1: Also, can we tell everyone listening, like stop drinking regular milk? Who invented cows giving us milk? Why are we drinking it from calves?
Speaker 2: God? I guess was it a religious thing? The first farmer? I don't know. You know what I'm drinking right now?
Speaker 1: What cucumber, celery, spinach, lemon kale, parsley juice tastes like compost delicious.
Speaker 2: That sounds actually phenomenal. I mean, I'm not a fan, it's not bad. I'm not a fan of some of those veggie concoctions, but like that actually sounds like a nice medley.
Speaker 1: And we talk about vitamins all the time, like sea moss, corephill tablets, all these things, Like it makes your body feel better. Vegetables, people take your vitamins. I'm telling you, it makes your brain. And I'm not joking around, like we're joking around about nuts and almonds and whatever. But like it, the vegetables genuinely work. And I know everyone knows that, but try it out, Like, put a juice in your body. Put some of these vitamins in your body. It makes you feel better.
Speaker 2: Give it a whirl. I do want to pitch a certain almond milk to you. It's Trade Joe's Vanilla Almond milk and it's conduced fat. Yea, If Trader Joe's is looking to sponsor a pod, this is the pod, isn't it traded?
Speaker 1: And the thing is there's a Trailer Joe's on the Lower east Side that we go to all the time, Low east side of Manhattan. Yeah, and Trailer Joe's. I mean, first of all, most underrated thing from Trailer Joe's the bagged frozen passas.
Speaker 2: Oh, really good.
Speaker 1: Tell me you don't the yulki yunkcci.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I studied abroad in Italy, so I'm basically fluent in Italian and it's nyulki.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, I agree. That's how I've said it my entire life. And I agree that it's really good, the cauliflower and yucky, really good, really really good. Throw that puppy in an air fryer and that's that really right. Well we talk about a yeah, airfrer, never done califier and yolk and air fire and all right, let's get let's talk baseball now, Okay, you want to talk baseball? Lance Lynn extended, how about that deal for the White Sox.
Speaker 1: That was great, fantastic, good deal. Glad that he's extended. I mean he's gonna ear a blow two. And it's good that he's got some money. Oh, I mean he had money, but like good that he's got some more money now too, not enough money. Now he's got more money, right, He's got a lot more money.
Speaker 2: I do want to shout out this quote before we move on, lance Lynn. I'm paraphrasing here, but he pretty much said after he signed his extension, why go into free agency when you know where you want to be? And he is now people's favorite White Sox. I think the White Sox guys like playing for the White Sox.
Speaker 1: I mean, you see Carlos Rodawn when they were talking to him earlier in the season, that great interview.
Speaker 2: He doesn't want to leave either. None of these guys want to leave Chicago. Isn't it awesome? There's an identity and then Carlin's I mean, they can't hold a candle to Starling Martze and his agent for for anything.
Speaker 1: I mean, they're low balling him. The average Anneal value would be less than he's making right now. And I get that you're extending him and maybe as he gets older it makes sense for I think he's what thirty three old. It's understandable, but you're you're short selling him. And especially when the Marlins came out and said that they were going to buy all these different pieces, said they were going to spend the money, and then they go out and low ball probably their best hitter in the lineup right now. Also, Buckston, seven years seventy million, that's what the Twins are offering him.
Speaker 2: He probably won't take it.
Speaker 1: That's such a tough deal because if you look at the talent that Buckston has, you're looking at two hundred and fifty million, right If you look at the if you look at how many games he's been injured and how many times he's actually on the field, seven years seventy million kind of sounds accurate.
Speaker 2: It might actually sound high.
Speaker 1: It might actually sound high, especially seven years for a guy who's really struggled to stay on the field. I fall into the if you're Buckston, I understand not taking the deal. But if you're the Twins, I understand not giving him more. That's why I think Buxton is probably going to get traded this deadline.
Speaker 2: We've got a great show today. We've got top five DHS. We also have Kolby Olsen coming back on he just wrote a great article, is pretty much your primer for the second half, like here's where your team will likely finish up. And he's our algorithm guy, so he made the algorithm. But before we move on from this topic, I want to I want to pose you this open market. Who gets the bigger deal? Let's yeah, I'll make this a two part question. Okay, who gets the longer deal? Who gets the more lucrative deal? Longer Buxton or Korea? Oh all right? Oh hard? I think longer. I think the same thing. They're probably. I think they both get seven. You think they both get seven because Korea I think seven years one to twenties kind of fair.
Speaker 1: He's gonna want more. He's gonna want like one seventy five.
Speaker 2: Okay, but how seven years? Okay, so Korea and Buxton seven years one p fifties put on your plate. Buxton says hell yes and a heartbeat? Does Karrea say hell yes and a heartbeat? I think Buxton says yes. Correa says no. Even though who would I rather give it to?
Speaker 1: That's impossible because Buckston is more talented than Korea.
Speaker 2: He just is.
Speaker 1: Oh, Karea is really good too. But Chris also had his problem staying on the field. I know, I maybe it's a personal thing. I am in love with what Buckston can do. If he stays on the field, He's a better player than Krea. I would give it to Buxton first. I'd like to go in and check the medicals. I'd like to go in and check how these guys are actually training, because Cray has been fully healthy this year, but Buckston is still struggling to stay on the field. I would give you know, my baseball mind is telling me, don't be stupid, give it to Korea, but my heart is saying, like, I would rather have Buxton on my team.
Speaker 2: What do you think if Buxton works out for two years, three years. I'm not talking physically works out. I'm talking like, if he stays on the field he's healthy. Yeah, Like he's one of the best center fielders in baseball. Like he's one of the most talented players that there is. Right, So, a healthy Buxton, if the injury bug subsides for him and he's not hurt the next seven years, I mean, Byron Buxton' is a seven year, two hundred and fifty million dollar guy. That's what I'm saying. Yeah, It's really hard because like I bank on Korea to stay on the field more than I bank on Buxton. But like I have no idea with Byron Buxton. It's an impossible question that I post. You don't, I don't really impossible. It's a great question though, before we get to Colby's, before we get to a conversation with Colby about the win and loss probabilities for the remainder of the year, I do have something I heard, So we got a straight away from Baseball real quick. Ugly Delicious is one of my favorite shows on Netflix. Dave Chang. He pretty much dives into a certain food so like pizza, barbecue, steak, and he will spend an hour long show on Netflix. Did I just mention that, I think I did. You did mention that? Yes, Yeah, he will dive in and he'll talk about, you know, the connotations behind the food, how it has been created. So like in the pizza episode, you know, he went to New York, he went to Detroit, he went to Naples, Italy for wood fired pizza, all that steak. He went to you know, Bondai Beach in Sydney, Australia, and then he goes to a steakhouse in New York, and then he talks about dry aging, and he talks about, you know, the masculine connotations behind steak and how you know it kind of isolates women who want steak. It's it's a fascinating show. I highly recommend you watching. I just rewatched the steak episode. And once the Tigers get good, once Riley Green, Spencer, Torress and Dingler. Yeah, once the Tigers get good, how did you get Yeah, so hold on. Once the Tigers get good. There's a steakhouse slash bathhouse in Detroit called the Schwitz that we gotta go to. And the idea is in the basement, you've got like this one hundred year old bathhouse. It's men only two days a week, women only two days a week, and then co ed two days a week, and you just get butt naked, you you know, do the bathhouse things. So like you're in a bunch of heat, you're in the spots type environment, and you hop into the cold tub. You get these natural remedies on you. Then you go upstairs and you have a steak with the guys just in a robe. Dude. Actually, it's one of the best steaks in Detroit. We gotta do it. And it's one of the best steaks in Detroit. Yes, what's it called the Schitz? The Schwitz sch v I t z the Schwitz. Dude, we gotta go.
Speaker 1: We'll record some content there that would be whole. I mean twenty twenty seven when the Tigers are good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I a lot of time to get super fits so we can record shirtless content.
Speaker 1: Also, did you see the uh did you see the Stroman fight ish with the Pirates?
Speaker 2: No, what are you talking about? I saw Melrojas got u suspended for a couple of games.
Speaker 1: It was the It was the first baseman Joeganowski or Jagganowski or John Lecgowski, John Negowski, Joggandowski, all right, I combined him for baseball guys, John Mike Wazowski, John Negowski. He was after Marcus Stroman got him to line out. John Degowski was like, are you talking shit? And Marcus Stroman was just like, I'm not even talking to you. You're John Nagowski and I'm Marcus Stroman. And John Nagowski took offense to that, obviously, and there was a little scuffle and then they're just jawing in the dug out.
Speaker 2: The baseball fights. Some of them are sick, some of them are so lame. This goes into the lame category. But I'm also using this as an opportunity to talk about the Pirates a little bit. I like their lineup a little You don't know, Yeah, their first three I do, Okay, Brian, Brian Hayes.
Speaker 1: And Brian Reynolds. That that's a good three, Yes it is. But the other six suck. Suck not the can you leave me alone? I'm trying to help the Pirates. Yeah, sure like they They are not.
Speaker 2: Horrid.
Speaker 1: They have there are some good parts to the Pirates. You're sitting there just like so bored. Can we get on the DHS? And I get it. They just don't Mitch that Chad cool, Mitch Keller. They don't have pitching, but they have some bullpen guys, and they have at least a good young core getting Henry Davis, He's gonna slave to catch her with. Jacob Stallings is pretty good they have at the pieces. This is not a dumpster fire, as we may have called him in the past.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not a total blow up. I agree, it's not. It's not.
Speaker 1: And Brian Reynolds. I don't think he's gonna get traded. Pittsburgh says they want to build around him. He has over three years of control.
Speaker 2: I like it.
Speaker 1: He is a good player. Brian Hay is going to be an All Star. You get Henry Davis up.
Speaker 2: He's good.
Speaker 1: Like they have guys, and they killed the draft arm late in our prospect guy said they had the best draft out of every single team. Having the first pick helps, but there's a lot of more picks to do, and they had great second rounders, third, fourth, They killed it. The Pirates are The Pirates are an MLB team.
Speaker 2: Is is this Ben Cherrington's first year or second year in Pittsburgh? You think it's number two. Charrington was not horrible with the Red Sox. No, not at all. This is not a disaster. Yeah, guy knows.
Speaker 1: I don't see really any disasters right now in baseball. Do you see any disasters?
Speaker 2: Uh? Hard not to call Arizona a disaster. The Rockies are a disaster.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, those really are the only two disasters. Because the Tigers at least have like a good young core. The Pirates have a good young core sort of. Baltimore's got Baltimore's. Baltimore's got a lot of good prospects. The Mariners have a lot of good prospects. I mean, the Rangers are approaching disaster, ah, but they've got some guys.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The Rockies suck and horrible. I bet on the dime Backs today against the Pirates. Why I talk about a series I will not watch? I know.
Speaker 1: I even said the TikTok to. I was like, I'm going with Divebacks Pirates. I doubt you watch it, but I think the Diamacks are gonna win if you want to, just if you want to place a bet and not watch the game. Caleb Smith versus Chase g Young Dejeong. I'm not good with names, as you can probably tell. I know the guy's not good with names, you know, John Gookowski from the Pirates.
Speaker 2: The funniest part is I sent you MLB's pronunciation guide before the season, so it's possible. Feel free to look at that PDF whenever you want. Now, I think it's more fun if I just got a completely wrong. Yeah, I don't know. It doesredibility, I get it. I doubt all right. Now, we talked to Colby Olsen about teams wins and losses. This was a very fun article on just baseball dot com and we bring him in now. So we're talking about this article on this site called just Baseball dot com. You should go visit this site. You should read this article. And the article is called MLB's Second Half team Projections, Who should buy or sell? Question Mark. It is by the guy who's on the zoom right now, Colby Olsen. And what you did is you took a lot of data and you compiled it and you told us who was going to be good or bad in the second half and where teams are ending up. And the Giants are well over one hundred wins and the Diamondbacks suck. I think everybody knew that, but there are a lot of nuances to this. And before we get into anything, just explain how you calculated and how you validated where you think teams are going to end up. Wait, Colby, before you answer that, I loved read this article first head because the first like big headlight is Pethagorean win expectancy and I hold on, hold on, hold, I was like, what the hell is that? Hold? No, no, no, dude, dude, the best way possible shut up for a second. Stay that word again that starts with the Petagorean Pythagorean god pathagoon.
Speaker 4: You feel like you're back in junior year, pre couch class in high school. Man, it's it's a square plus B squad, right, don't exactly.
Speaker 3: Don't let the big words scare you. Sometimes they're your friend.
Speaker 2: No words can if you can't pronounce them, then they can be your enemy.
Speaker 4: So it sounds complicated, but it's really not, so let me run you through it. So basically, the idea behind Pythagora and win expectancy is that it models run differential, right, So you take runs scored, you divide that by runs scored plus runs given up, and that gives you basically a percentage that models out to be a win percentage. So then what I did is I actually tweaked the formula a little bit because I don't think runs scored is a very good stat to use.
Speaker 3: It's not very predictive.
Speaker 4: I decided to use weighted runs created, which you know obviously goes into WRC plus, which we commonly use and we love as a stat. I use runs against, not earned runs runs against, so you can include errors in that formula. And then After doing that, once you get the percentage. What I did was I multiplied that expected win percentage times the remains games for each team and added those expected wins to their you know, current winds total, and that's how I got my expected total wins for each team.
Speaker 2: That's awesome. A lot of steps, but it does make a lot of sense. And I do like that you use weighted runs created as opposed to just runs straight up, because it also gives you some predictive qualities to that, and I think that helps. The less prediction you have to make, the better you are off, right.
Speaker 3: I think too.
Speaker 4: I think everyone listening right now should go read the article because I think when you read it and you see the formula in front of you and you can kind of digest it a little bit easier.
Speaker 3: So definitely, yeah, but yeah, I mean it did interesting, interesting results. Right. You have the teams that you expect at the top.
Speaker 4: You have the Giants at you know, one of four wins, Dodgers at one oh two, the Astros at one hundred, and the White Sacks at one hundred. So those are expected, but they're way above the field there because the red sox, padres and rays are the fifth, sixth, and seven teams and they're back in ninety four wins. So the interesting thing about these results is it actually created kind of a tier system, right. It created four clear favorites at the top, another second tier of you know, wild card teams plus the AL East n L East are very competitive, so all those teams are roped in. There a middle tier kind of of like teams that Okay, are they gonna buy?
Speaker 3: Are they gonna sell? And then you have the dumpster flyers in the back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Colby, I have a question for you.
Speaker 1: I know that you're our numbers guy, but I know you turn on turn on the TV and watch baseball every single day just.
Speaker 2: Like we do.
Speaker 1: Do you really think that the Giants are like, really in one hundred and four win team? Because I wouldn't be shocked, because how can you be now with the Giants and how good they've been to start the season. I mean, they ended the first half of the best record in baseball and they're just rolling like they're pitching is good, their offense is good, they're everything down the line is good.
Speaker 2: Do you see them really at one oh four?
Speaker 4: So I think that's a good question, and I do talk about this a little bit in the article as I bring up strength of schedule in the second you know part of the article, and strength of schedule is really important here because the Giants have to play the Dodgers, they have to play the Padres all the time. It's just like playing the Al East, right, these teams have to play each other, and it's hard to win all the games against the Yankees and Blue Jayson Rays, you know what have you?
Speaker 3: So, yeah, one oh four.
Speaker 4: That projection doesn't take into account strength of schedule. And that's why I talk about too like the White Sox, right they play they have the easiest strength of schedule in the first half, they have the fourth easiest in the second half, so they could really outperform their one hundred win projection, whereas the Giants might have a tough time winning one hundred and four games.
Speaker 1: Yeah right, I mean one hundred and four just seems And I also saw I feel like the Padres got kind of low baald here.
Speaker 2: Do you think they got lowbald?
Speaker 3: They may, they may be a little low ball. I think you have to give context to all of these projections, right, because it's based on the first half and how they performed, which is a big sample.
Speaker 4: I mean it is ninety games. The Scary did underperform in the first half. Surprisingly, I think they've dealt with a little bit of inconsistency on the mound, some injuries, and also met Is hurt. You know, you have Clevenger out. They haven't been getting the production from certain players that they'd hope to.
Speaker 3: Hosmer has been.
Speaker 4: Really bad, but the Padres are still you know, it's funny, right, they didn't perform to their expectations in the first half, and yet we're still saying, Wow, their expectation is ninety four wins, so it's like if they could turn it on, yeah, they might be able to win under games for sure.
Speaker 1: I also saw that year expected the Diamondbacks to win fifty games.
Speaker 2: We were just talking about our oldie teams in baseball are probably disasters. I mean, we were not calling the Pirates, we're not calling the Tigers, we're not calling Oils disasters. But the Diamondbacks and Rockies seem like disasters. Am I right? Or am I right?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 4: The Rockies are well when my projections I have them at seventy one wins, they seem like a team that's you know, trying a little bit. They have they have some good players, Earn Marquez, John Gray, you know.
Speaker 2: Gone at the end of this month. Yeah, they'll be gone by the end of the episode release exactly.
Speaker 4: So we can get into talking about more of the trade deadline stuff now that we've gone through the strength of schedule and my projections, I think that's where the fun comes in, right, yeah, real quick, before we get to that, my eyes kind of gravitate on this chart to the NL East because it is GM packed in the middle. You've got the Mets at eighty six wins, You've got Atlanta at eighty two, Washington at seventy nine, Philly it's seventy nine, and then you've got the Marlins at seventy That is jam.
Speaker 2: Packed, and you've got the Mets spot on. It feels kind of spot on, right, Yeah, it does well.
Speaker 4: And so the thing is too is I made these projections right before the second half started, and Philly's gone to win a couple of games here, and they look like they're only what four games back, three and a half back from the Mets, and they look like they could really make a push here. They're they're you know alec bohe comes back, starts hitting a little bit. They could really make a push here, but the NA least is crowded. The Braves just lost to Kunya. They got Jack Peterson. They're probably gonna be big buyers. That that's you know, that's what I've heard their gms. And so the Mets are kind of in a danger zone right now where you once thought they had a grasp on the division and now they're kind of letting its lip and it's like, uh, oh, are we going to see another Mets second half disaster where they fall apart? And they move into August and September where they're you know, only one or two games up, and so there's four teams there. There's four teams.
Speaker 3: I think the interesting thing between the n AL and AL is that there's not enough spots.
Speaker 1: Which is not enough spots one more team that I was looking at. You have the Cardinals pretty damn low here, seventy five wins projected for the Cardinals. Oh that is low low.
Speaker 2: And I know it's it's based on numbers.
Speaker 1: It's not like like you're pushing in algorithms, and it's much more complicated than I can comprehend considering I called it Pathagorum, and I know it's Pythagoran, but I thought Pythagorium was funnier. I I just I don't see the Cardinals finishing below eighty wins. I would be shocked, especially get you get Jack flaerty Back. I still think they're gonna be big buyers of the deadline. I know that's not incorporated into it, and I know it's based off the first half, but like, I feel like for the rest of the season, you have the Cardinals as like a thirty five and fifty win kind of team, Like they'll be even worse than they were in the first half.
Speaker 2: Yep, yep.
Speaker 4: Well no, So I think the thing with the Cardinals right is they cannot hit.
Speaker 3: They're pitching them can good. Their pitching has actually been surprisingly really good.
Speaker 4: In the addition of Flarty would be huge for them, but their outfielders don't provide much value. Tyler O'Neill hasn't been hitting well. Other guys in that lineup have not been hitting well. The reason that's really the reason there. It would be interesting.
Speaker 3: I know you're a.
Speaker 4: Guy that's been pushing for them to go get story, which I don't think is gonna happen, but it would be interesting. I don't think that the Cardinals should give up anything of value.
Speaker 1: Do you think they would give up Nolan Gorman in that deal? As soon as you said, I wouldn't give up anything as value. That's their best prospect right now, at least at their base.
Speaker 4: I don't think so, just because I don't think they really have a chance at the second wild card spot, and they're not going to catch the Brewers. Like I said, both wild card races are really sham packed. I think Cincinnati is going to make a really tough play for that second wildcard.
Speaker 1: Now you have since he had eighty five wins, that's ten wins above the Cardinals.
Speaker 3: And I think they could be a team that goes and gets story.
Speaker 1: We know Luis Castillo in his last nine guess what his ZRA is in his last nine starts to five.
Speaker 3: I bet he's doing I bet he's doing well.
Speaker 2: Jack. What about you? What do you think right around two? I think two to one.
Speaker 1: One seven, nine, Wow, he's on. Dude, Luis Castill when he's on is disgusting. When he's off, horrid when he's off. When he's not locating in that change up's going middle. He's horrid when he's locating. He's one of the best pitchers in baseball.
Speaker 2: Ninety seven with the change Hey, Kolby Anaheim, if they deal one of their outfield prospects for pitching, did they shoot up this list. Yon Marshall's coming up.
Speaker 3: Definitely.
Speaker 4: Definitely, And you have to remember that they didn't have Trout for two months and you're getting back the best player in baseball who's worth you know, for the last sixty games.
Speaker 3: Of the year, could be worth four total wins.
Speaker 4: I mean, that's how valuable he is when he's off crazy. So yeah, I mean, Trout could propel the Angels. And as a baseball fan, you just really want to see the Angels in the playoffs. You want to see Otani in the playoffs. You want to see Trout in the playoffs because we just never have seen it. And it's one of those things that you know, you go, Trout's already a Hall of Fame. We don't have to discuss that. But at the end of the day, you know, when he when we're talking about his legacy, it's gonna be really important for Trout to have at least a series win on his resume.
Speaker 1: You know what's crazy, you guys are you know, Aaron Judge and Mike Trout have played the same amount of games since their Judge debuted, and Aaron Judge is this like injury prone guy, same amount of games? Interesting, right, I believe it? You know, Judge's looking at me like he just doesn't believe me because I don't, Judge.
Speaker 2: Savant. It's the same amount of game. I mean, check Baseball Reference, check Kobe talk. He's the guest. All right, fine, go gooby. No.
Speaker 4: I just wanted to say that Judge seems like a guy that has never really dealt with a long term injury. He's always a guy that deals with these nagging, like obleaque injuries and seems like, you know, maybe.
Speaker 3: His results falter because of that. But he's fully healthy this year and he's raking.
Speaker 2: He's a top five outfielder. Kobe last one for you Boston at ninety four wins, Toronto right around at eighty nine wins. I think the Blue Jays are going to buy What do they have to buy to catch up to the Red Sox.
Speaker 4: Well, the clear need for Blue Jays is obviously starting pitching depth.
Speaker 3: I think relief depth is the need for just about anyone that's gonna contend.
Speaker 4: But the Blue Jays should go and look for a guy like Kyle Gibson. They should ask about Hermon Marquez. I don't think that mark, you know, for the right offer they I don't.
Speaker 1: Think the Rockies are going to trade him. I think they finally found their guy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think they did.
Speaker 4: He's only twenty six still, but get a guy like Kyle Gibson. I Springer's coming back, you know you have a full loaded lineup. This Blue Jays team is too good not to let fly completely. I mean, Nate Pearson's coming back too. Alec Manoa has been I think he has like a one to seven e RA in his last six or seven. So the Blue Jays are looking really good. I would be terrified if I was the Red Sox. So the Red Sox had one of the best first halves we've ever seen, and now it's like that probably was at this end of the spectrum. There's twenty twenty season. Was that this end of the spectrum, and they're probably gonna regress somewhere in the middle. So I'd be scared. It could be anyone's game, even the Yankees. The Yankees could make a comeback here. I know, Peter, you've been down on the Yankees, but like they're probably gonna buy big, I don't see it. I do not see a scenario where they don't buy big as well. With that team, I mean, there's not much movement except to buy. You can't really sell any of these guys. They only have one free agent going into next season. This is the team.
Speaker 1: I guess, yeah, I mean, you're right, but we just don't I don't want to buy big. I don't want to just give away all of our prospects because we actually, I mean, Kobe, we were talking about it today. The Yankees farm system actually looks pretty decent. Look, they got a lot of high v low young right handers. They got some shortstop prospects, they got some catching prospects. They got Jason Dominguez, the son of whatever god you believe in. He's still that son. But I do have one more question, because the New York teams the big markets. You got the Mets at eighty six wins, and you got the Yankees at if you round up eighty six wins as well, if you had to make a decision right now, who you think actually ends up with more wins over a full season. Mets are Yankees?
Speaker 2: Who you going with?
Speaker 3: That's a really really good question.
Speaker 1: Because it's it's not even the Mets fault. They're a little bit injured. They been injured all year. Like Lindor just went on the d L L whatever you call it now, and it's I think it's been the ILE now for four years. I still called d L. I probably always will still call d L and de Gram's now on the IL two. I mean those are two.
Speaker 4: Interesting, so like, yeah, one scenario there is like does the team that wins more games have the better chance in the playoffs?
Speaker 3: And that's the question. I don't know. I think that currently. I still gotta stick with the Mets.
Speaker 4: I think the Mets are going to go get a guy like Chris Bryant and really load up, So I gotta stick with the Mets. Taiwan Walker just had to blow up. I mean that was just a weird game, and he's still an amazing pitcher. Is there any word on Cinder I have not heard a word on Cinder Guard, and that worries me because if they get him back that could be huge for the Mets as they go into the playoffs. So it's it's gonna be a really interesting trade deadline and a really interesting end of the year. So yeah, hopefully I'll be back, you know, in another week and we can talk about the trade deadline more as more rumors heat up.
Speaker 1: Jack, have you heard the Gallo and Gibson to San Diego for Mackenzie Goren pieces?
Speaker 2: Have you heard about that deal? I have heard about that deal. What do you think about that deal? I think it's fascinating And I'm not going to talk about it because I am with the four way and TinCaps and there are Padres affiliate So dude, come on, all right, mL just second half team projections? Who should buy or sell? Colby Olsen appreciate you, man.
Speaker 3: Yeah, of course, thanks for having me, Guys.
Speaker 4: I'm always happy to come on here and talk to you about stats, talk to you about how I actually watch baseball.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: Okay, good conversation with Colby as usual. He's kind of snuck his way onto the pod twice in not too long a period of time.
Speaker 1: I mean, he's smart as shit. He just knows what he's talking about. He's explaining expected weighted on base plusing averaging double mctwists. Yeah, I think he's like and then but then you look at it's like, oh, Mike Trot's Summer one.
Speaker 2: We knew that. Oh so my eyes like prove whatever. So I also agree that Mike Trot is the best, perfect good. I think it's crazy that the Giants hold that top spot. It's crazy, right, we were not.
Speaker 1: Expecting this that If that prediction prediction holds, it's one of the craziest seasons I think we've seen in like the past decade of a team that maybe we were expecting to be like what eighty to eighty three wins, and now they're going to surpass that by twenty.
Speaker 2: It doesn't make any sense. It doesn't make sense, but it makes perfect sense. It does. It's the Giants. That's what the Giants do. Hey, n L this year, at the very least does not use a DH. Let's get into the top five designated hitters. And this was a short list. We're doing five, not ten. We only have two honorable mentions. There are a many guys that in our eyes qualify as a DH. I think that's because of the way that the modern baseball player is built. They're not built like a DH anymore. Nobody really comes in and it's like I can strictly hit and that's it. I'm not an athlete, not at all.
Speaker 1: And we were even going over the list, I mean, how many players only had two hundre played appearances at DH. I mean there was a lot of guys to consider, because a lot of guys have played DH before. But this list is centered around guys who are dhs for their team. You might see them throw out there and left or right, but these are you slot them in at DH and that's.
Speaker 2: Their position, right. It makes sense. So who's over two hundred? How many people we have over to under play appearances? Like six? Eight? Yeah, I think eight guys and we have seven including the honorable mentions. We did all that we could, but hey, listen, six and seven are still very good baseball players, like.
Speaker 1: Extremely good base If you're at six or seven out of position, you're awesome.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and these guys are awesome. Honorable mentions Tampa Bay's Austin Meadows and the fre animal Cleveland Indians franmill Rayes. I mean, these guys mash in different ways. Meadows is your classic Like, yes, throw them in right, he's got a good arm, throw him in left. He's got a good arm and can move around a little bit. But his bread and butter is hitting the crap out of the baseball and hitting line drives all the time. And then Franmil Reyes, Yeah, I guess you could put him in left field, but like you don't really want to. He just hits tanks all the time. The launch angle, the average exit velocity all sky high. Like these are two of the most hard consistent contact players baseball.
Speaker 1: Has the for animal makes sense, I mean, the dude just hits absolute nuke tanks.
Speaker 2: And Austin Meadows.
Speaker 1: I will always remember Austin Meadows no matter what he does for the rest of his career because he was involved in possibly the worst trade of our generation. Yeah, Tyler Glasnaw Austin Meadows. And the guy you might not have heard of, Shane Baz, who's going to be maybe the next great pitching prospect as good as Glass. Now, we just watched him in the Future's Game. You heard us talk about him, Shane Baz effortless ninety eight. He's going to be fantastic. And you know who the pirates got in return in that deal.
Speaker 2: Chris Archer, Baby Chris Archer, who's also on the Rays right now. So sorry, Pirates not good. Not who the pirates aside from glass Now and Shane Baz, it's been Garrett Cole obviously that got away from them. Who else has gotten away from them in trades?
Speaker 1: I'd have to go back and think, really, I think there's I don't know, no one's coming, No one's coming. Oh well, jameson Tyan, I guess.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Tiwne is definitely one of them that I think.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Town's one of them. I don't know if they've just been trading away all of their pictures. I think this has been kind of a like a recent seat thing, like twenty fifteen, twenty sixteen. In the last couple of years. This has been really what the pirates have been doing. And I don't do I understand.
Speaker 2: Not really. We've done a lot of pirates conversation on this podcast. It's good. They need some love. They don't get a lot of media attention. That's what we do. Jack, You're right, and Yen's is the word of Pittsburgh. Y I n Z You ever heard that?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: What does that mean, I think it means like y'all. Like Pittsburgh's version of y'all is yin's Yeah, So yin's that doesn't sound right at all.
Speaker 1: I don't know the IV versus AH, because when I'm when I'm looking for a group, I want awe rather than E yeah.
Speaker 2: Does that make sense? I just want to say hey and have everybody hey, Hi, Hey, All.
Speaker 1: Right, none of that nonsense anymore. We break into the top five dhs at number five, Juhn Carlosan of the New York Yankees. Gincarlo can definitely infuriate some Yankee fans, but there is no doubt that he is still a top five DH in all of baseball. Hate on Stan all you want, but he hit three to ZHO eight in the playoffs last year and he's still mashing home runs with the best of them. I mean, his hard hit rates are absolutely still really unmatched. He hasn't had a year where he hit a ball at least one hundred and twenty miles an hour. I want to say that again. Since twenty fifteen, he hasn't had a year where he hit a ball at least one hundred and twenty miles an hour.
Speaker 2: Nobody does that.
Speaker 1: The Yankees might have some problems, but Stan this season is far from one of them. Yeah, he makes a lot of money, but he's still one of the better power bats in the entire game and is still definitely a top five DH.
Speaker 2: Stantonian blasts man Stantonian blasts. I mean he's still that dude. He's still that dude, which he sneakily only makes like sixteen million dollars a year, and for a DH, that's a ton of mone But like that deal when it first came out, was like, oh my god, this is groundbreaking. And now you look at the annual value of that deal and it doesn't really match up with how the contract market has trended over the last couple of years.
Speaker 1: Multiple teams are still paying his contract, though I don't know how much he's actually bringing it.
Speaker 2: I bet he's bringing it a lot. I bet he's bringing in a lot. Three hundred and twenty five million dollars over thirteen years. I have always enjoyed watching John Carlos Stanton, and like, I'm not a Yankee hater, I certainly don't make the Yankees appointment viewing like Red Sox Yankees on Sunday Night Baseball. Also, that lineup was terrible, but they wont So that lineup looks bad. Yeah, well the whole team is out from COVID, Judge, Sella, all these guys.
Speaker 1: And then you take Judge out of a lineup and you look at Rugnidodor hitting third. Rugie you think and you think to yourself, God, where is this team gone?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 2: It's tough. So yeah, Stanton's really good.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: He's not as good as number four, and the fourth best DH is Nelson Cruz. Cruse is forty one years old and he's in the ninety sixth percentile and average exit velocity. I think that's all we gotta say, right. He left Texas at thirty two years old after an All Star twenty thirteen season when he hit twenty seven bombs. Since then, his lowest total in a full season is thirty seven, and his sixteen home runs in twenty twenty averaged out to a full season would be right around forty and dude's durable. Since that thirty two year old left Texas, he's a five time All Star. He's finished in the top ten of MVP voting five times in all three years that he wasn't In All Star he finished in the top fifteen of MVP voting. So he's always put together a great year. And is he going to hit fifty bombs as a fifty year old? Are we going to go fifty to fifty with Nelson Cruz. It's a possibility.
Speaker 1: And you know how there's the rumor going around that Albert pool Hools slied about his age and he's actually older.
Speaker 2: No, I didn't know that there's a rumor going around that Albert Pools is legit forty five. Huh. I had no idea that that was a rumor.
Speaker 1: And they're also I'm creating the rumor right now that Nelson Cruz is actually lying about being older than he is, that he's actually young too. I don't like he's lying about like because he wants to seem cooler, that he's legit thirty four. Dude, like Jorge Polonko seems as old as Nelson Cruise for no good reason, right.
Speaker 2: So I think Horge Polanco gave some of his years to Nelson Cruz. Something something's going on in Minnesota. Something man, I like forty one years old and he's going to hit thirty five bombs and.
Speaker 1: He'll be back next year too, probably had another thirty thirty five bombs again. Okay, what's stopping him from another year after that of thirty thirty five bombs?
Speaker 2: What's going to stop him? Clean slate, open market? How much do you pay Nelson Cruz on a one year deal next year? Twelve? You have eighteen million? Eighteen? Yeah, he's forty two. Now that's stupid. That's twelve. I think more. I think at least fifteen.
Speaker 1: I mean if you gave him, would you be shocked if you saw a two year, thirty million dollar deal for Nelson Cruise?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Kind of. I mean, you're why having a forty four year old guy like he rags he's the best hitter in that lineup. He'd be the best hitter in a lot of lineups right now, man, I mean you're right, I don't know, Just just go to three. This guy's a lot younger than forty one.
Speaker 1: This guy is a lot younger than forty one. And the third best DH in baseball is your Don Alvarez of the Houston Astros. Can I start by saying that I think Jordan Alvarez will be a Hall of Famer one day. He's got that type of pop in his bat In his career one hundred and sixty seven games, almost a more than a full season, he has forty four home runs and he's hitting two ninety eight in his batting average, a three eighty two on base and he's slugging five eighty five. I think he's gonna finish his career with over five hundred home runs and a high enough average probably round two.
Speaker 2: Eighty two ninety.
Speaker 1: This man is seriously one of the best hitters in all of baseball. But he's not one of these classic bai Ol lefties that's swing and misses and pulls the ball.
Speaker 2: Every time. You gotta go look at his hit spray chart. It's gorgeous.
Speaker 1: I mean, he is a behemoth that sprays the ball to every corner of the ballpark and is definitely the third best dch in the entire league.
Speaker 2: So our boy Bob Costas said that five hundred home runs is now a hu hum? What do you think about that? I love Bob.
Speaker 1: One of the greatest moments in my life is interviewing Bob. Five hundred or runs is not ho hum.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: You know how I know that because mcgougubret isn't even there yet, and Micgogubert is a legend, and the fact that he isn't there yet goes to show you how hard that is. And that's where I think Jordan willind up that, Like the dude barrels literally everything, everything, everything, Like I feel like he's using like a bigger barrel than everybody else, Like his bat is because it's right in the middle.
Speaker 2: You gotta watch, you gotta watch him hit.
Speaker 1: I know you do, but it's like every single time it's right in the middle of that barrel, whether it's the left field, whether it's the centerfield, whether it's the right field, it's every time he barrels it more than I mean, you look at the percentages, it's all one hundred percent percent max exit, all of that, Like it's all right there, and he's just he's a freak. And remember he went he came over from the Dodgers in that trade. He is not a guy the Ashos bread he he's a former Dodger farm man.
Speaker 2: I would like try and add something about Jordan Alvarez, but I think that was the perfect transition, bringing up Miguel Cabrera and barrels and all that stuff to the second best d in the game. I mean you're gonna like, I don't really care if you hate this or not. JD. Martinez is at number two, and I would just rip off a bunch of numbers. But that's not the best use of our time with him. Let's talk about his bat path. If you catch JD. Martinez in the on deck circle, you still might find him bringing the bat through the zone with one hand his backhand, and he's seeing it all the way through the zone. I don't think you could name five people playing right now that even come close to the level of hyper focus and the study habits that he brings. When it comes to his swing, he might be the smartest hitter in the game. JD. Martinez's swing has been manufactured by him to keep the barrel in the zone for the longest time humanly possible. Alex Spier, who does great work with the Boston Globe, said his swing path has been copped to a ferris wheel before. He doesn't swing particularly hard. He just has his barrel in a position to hit longer than anyone else. It starts in the back of the zone, it comes all the way to the front of the zone, JD has a career pull rate of thirty six and a half percent, and so far this year he's gone to pull thirty four percent of the time, up the middle thirty nine percent of the time, and the other way twenty seven percent of the time. There's no other hitter in baseball that hits to all fields with the power that JD does. And he said that his career took leaps after his time in Detroit because he got to study Megal Cabrera and that's I think the one guy in recent memory that you can compare not only the swing but the results for JD. Martinez too, said it very perfectly.
Speaker 1: I mean JD Martinez is Manny Ramirez esque for the Red Sox. He as a Yankee fan, He's always the scariest at bat. I mean, Rafael Dever's probably hits the Yankees even better, but JD Martinez when he's up a bat, similar to the big Poppy, similar to the man Ramirez, it's just a scary at bat, no matter what the situation, no matter what the pitcher, no matter what ballpark. I'm not saying he's the best hitter in the league, but he's one of the scariest when I'm personally watching him play.
Speaker 2: I mean, the thing with him is like he's so strong, he doesn't look the part, and he's so smart, he's so smart, Like that is what takes.
Speaker 1: That's where that's what puts him over the edge because a lot of guys like have his level of power. Yeah, like Jordon Can has the amount of power standing judge, like these.
Speaker 2: Guys have this, They have more power.
Speaker 1: But the way you use the power is something that Jad Martinez really has mastered. And the doubles machine on top of the home runs.
Speaker 2: Nobody can go the other way and hit one over the fence into the right center bullpen at Fenway like Jad Martinez.
Speaker 1: It almost looks like you're playing slow pitch softball and you kind of look at the fielders and you think, all right, where am I gonna place this ball? He does that with ninety five cutting in like that's the kind of hitter he is. Reminds me of another not reminds me sort of this. We were watching batting practice, right and this was back when each row was on the Yankees. I want to say four years ago. Okay, maybe even sooner.
Speaker 2: I don't really remember, but watching guys take VP and Yankees are crushing balls, no doubt about it. But each row.
Speaker 1: There's a scuttle bud around, like saying, eachro hit, the home runs, hits some more runs. He looks in the crowd, rattles off eleven, just bang right field porch, just bang.
Speaker 2: Eleven in a row.
Speaker 1: And guys like that with such crazy bat control. Similar with jad Martinez, like I said, just placing balls where they want. And when you have that kind of power and that kind of ability with the bat.
Speaker 2: To say, I mean like that's you're one.
Speaker 1: Of the best players in baseball, and you're one of the best headers in baseball, and you're the second best ech.
Speaker 2: But talk about Babe ruth Man.
Speaker 1: The number one best each in baseball and quite possibly the most talented player we've ever seen is sho he O Tani of the Los Angeles Angels show Hey might be the best player in all of baseball. I mean, who do we compare him to?
Speaker 2: Babe ruth God.
Speaker 1: I mean, there's a chance that he isn't really a human being, that he was sent down from an unknown planet to take over America's pastime. I mean, he leads all of baseball in home runs with thirty four. As a pitcher, he ranks with Judge and Stanton on hard hit rates. He ranks near Buxton in sprint speed. He has a similar strikeout percentage to Zach Wheeler. He is just below Clayton Kershawn pitching. He's a superhuman, easily the best each in baseball and is slowly becoming the best player in the entire sport. But his teammate Mike Trout might have something to say about that when he returns from injury. But sho Hey Otani is uncomparable, unmatchable.
Speaker 2: And just amazing. They've got the two best players in baseball. I like Mike Trout is This is so weird to say, but Mike Trout is better at hitting and fielding than Jacob de Gram is at pitching when you combine the two. So like Mike Trout, I think is a better position player than Jacob de Gram is a pitcher, even though that's really hard to say, but it's a toss up, right I think nobody would make the argument right now that Jacob de Gram should be ahead of Mike Trout if you were putting together your top ten players in baseball right now. It should not be de Gram over Trout, but Otani because he's so good at both.
Speaker 1: I mean he slots in right there, I agree, right, I mean we got to see Otani do it for a little bit longer, which is reasonable, just gotta see Tony do for a little longer. But I mean, shit, if you're starting four home runs, he's pitching three four ninety.
Speaker 2: Ra, you're the GM of the Seattle Kraken. Nobody's protected. You got this expansion draft coming up, it's show. Hey, he's won one. Think about this.
Speaker 1: We had a question on Twitter and we blew up on TikTok a little bit. Want your opinion on it. Vladimir Gero Junior wins the triple crown shoe Heo Tani hits fifty home runs, strikes out two hundred guys, steals twenty bags. Angels don't make the playoffs, Blue Jays do. Who's your MVP?
Speaker 2: Otani? Me too, quickly? Otani? Quickly?
Speaker 1: Otani right? Because I yeah, you give it to vlat I mean, Vladdie. Triple Crown hasn't been done before since Migul Cabrera. But I even commented back on the TikTok because they were saying no one's really ever done the triple crown instead of Meggia, I was like, name me another season where it's where what Otania has been doing has been.
Speaker 2: Done, Like name me one, because you can't not even Babe Ruth. That's also that's not a good take at all, Like obviously the triple crown is very rare, but like you've got Miggy who just did it at the beginning of the twenty tens, and then like obviously you got to go back to Yaz.
Speaker 1: It's amazing, you know, but there's some triple crowns where it was like forty five home runs, one hundred and twenty RBIs and three ten like that's been done before.
Speaker 2: There's a precedent. There's a precedent for the exactly, there is a president. There's no precedent for what Showhy is doing.
Speaker 1: No, it's it's like Tom Brady led the league in touchdown passes and then went over and led the league in interceptions. You can't do it in basketball because they both there. It's it's uncomparable, it's unmatchable, and we're witnessing greatness.
Speaker 2: We are we're witnessing greatness, and it's the quick twitch movements, and it's the fine skills matched with pure athleticism and this guy is the most gifted athlete I think the world has right now, and on that, I think we should wrap up this episode. Thank you everybody,