Speaker 1: Questlove Supreme is a production of iHeartRadio. This classic episode was produced by the team at Pandora.
Speaker 2: Hey, Sugar, Steve and This classic QLs episode takes us back to December twenty seventh, two thoy seventeen. Comedian and actor Roy Wood Junior looks back on the roller coaster year that was twenty seventeen with Questlove and Team Supreme.
Speaker 3: Where were you? I gotta take it on them long lass eight ball.
Speaker 4: I bet Suprema.
Speaker 5: Supremo, roll call Suprema Suck su Supremo, roll call Supremo.
Speaker 3: Suck Suck Supremo, roll call Suprema.
Speaker 4: So two thy seventeen is over. Yeah, I'm not a moment too late. Yeah, I'm gonna have a better life.
Speaker 3: Yeah too.
Speaker 5: Suprema Supremo. Roll call Supremo Supreme.
Speaker 4: Roll my name is Fante. Yeah you know I got it? Yeah I am why. Yeah, black people ain't patriotic.
Speaker 5: Suprema Supremo, roll call Suprema So Supremo.
Speaker 3: Role called. My name is Sugar. Yeah. Happy New Year to you. Yeah and happy Hanikah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Suprema something Supreme, Suprema something Suprema.
Speaker 4: Role still can't be leave. Yeah that this year is done. Yeah, seems like yesterday. Yeah it was January one.
Speaker 5: Suprema so supremea roll called Suprema.
Speaker 6: Supremo role called a year. Yeah, too much to say, Yeah, she's got to have it. Yeah, that's all I wanted to say.
Speaker 3: No Supreme roll.
Speaker 4: My name is Roy. Yeah, I'm from Alabama. Yeah, I'm celebrating Kwanza. Yeah, even though I don't know what quanta is.
Speaker 5: Supremo roll call Suprima Sun Sun Suprema roll call Supreme Sun Sun Supreme roll call Supreme Son Sun Supreme.
Speaker 4: Roll Wait a minute, okay, because it's hard for me to hear myself.
Speaker 3: It was like table of contents, part one of them. Really it was that loud. I'm apologizing to.
Speaker 6: Spike Ly and everybody at the cast if she's got to have it.
Speaker 4: No, I didn't like in my head it was like didn't sound is Yeah? I thought I was doing it off mic. That s was the stereo very year? Ye would you like to finish your did?
Speaker 6: I just got to have it, you know? Okay, long years, she gotta have it. Remember right now?
Speaker 4: Welcome to quest Love Supreme V Annual our second Uh the K.
Speaker 3: So that's what dad, kuans.
Speaker 4: Is whatever that that that is the day?
Speaker 3: That's that? Can white people celebrate.
Speaker 6: K Yes they can. It's funny you asked that.
Speaker 3: Who's the voice of Kwanta Experts, Ladies and gentlemen.
Speaker 4: First of all, we like to thank you for tuning in, and right now we have a friend dropping by on us unexpectedly. Very funny guy, very extremely funny. I mean, well, I've first heard you from the Foxhole, but I mean you've had history that the prank calls. Yeah, exactly. I used to listen, even pre YouTube or whatever like, used to listen. We used to listen to those what is that email forward? That's when you went viral in two thousand and two for I mean, now you could just go and YouTube listen to things that are archived.
Speaker 3: Can't remember pre YouTube days? Oh yeah, it's long ago.
Speaker 4: But we used to listen to those print calls a lot on the tour bus, Prinster Anyway, Daily Show, Last Comic Standing, So many you've done Conan a lot.
Speaker 3: Also shout out to Conan man. He used to work. He used to give me work when nobody else would. Exactly. Yes, he looked out for the cookout.
Speaker 4: Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome one of our favorite comedians, Roy Wood Junior.
Speaker 7: Alabama's own Yeah man, so out of Alabama. I'm sorry about ot of drum Alabama College, y'all.
Speaker 3: This year white folks sorr.
Speaker 4: They ride horses to the polls, and they talked about gay people and slavery.
Speaker 6: They bring their guns.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just to a speech, Just bring the gun. I'm Roy Moore. I got a gun just in case a pistol.
Speaker 4: So Roy, Okay, So we'd be remiss if we didn't say that. Of course, we tape some episodes of Quest of Supreme rather week's of advance of us going on the air. But this particular taping we are kind of awaiting the results. Well, I don't know if we're awaiting the results of of of the well, I mean, do we kind of know how it's going to go?
Speaker 3: I mean, oh, you have hope.
Speaker 8: I got to a little bit. I got to I know a lot of black folks and Bama. I'm hoping that you know, as.
Speaker 7: The great philosopher of the game once told us, you don't have to anything's possible.
Speaker 4: If fifty Vica, I appreciate.
Speaker 3: It, hated to love it. The underdogs on the top.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so we was talking outside, so you got to break it down for the audience what it is with other cats.
Speaker 7: Here's the thing I don't really like as a black person. Yeah, I'm the Democrat and I locked up the Klan. That's what he's running on, Like it's he ran on this platform that he was one of the people who prosecuted two of the last living Clans members who bombed the Sixteenth Street Baptist Church back in the sixties. But the truth of the matter is that it wasn't like he crusaded to you.
Speaker 3: Know, we got to reopen this case. Gut damn it. I know they ever can lock him up.
Speaker 4: No, the FBI reopened the sixteenth Street bombing, and Doug Jones was the dude at the time, Like, Yo, you're the person in the office that does this type of shit, so go prosecute this dude. And they locked the clansman up and now he's hanging his hat on that and that's fine, dude, what you do.
Speaker 3: He wasn't actively pursuing it like this was nineteenth He prosecuted this dude in like the late nineties, don't like it was the church wasn't still smoldering when you march into the damn porthouse. His nigga did it? Wh Muddy Waters came out. Probably a lot of Klansman died like two months after he got locked up.
Speaker 4: He was old, So don't and I just feel like this what I was telling you outside is that you know, as a white dude, he didn't properly crusade for black justice because they never gave him his movie. You're a white man and you get black justice, you're supposed to get your movie. He didn't get his movie. If you want to getting a movie, don't know. I don't know, Like how low does your steam have to be? If a child molester beats.
Speaker 7: You, you gotta get you gotta leave the game.
Speaker 6: I mean, yeah, we got bigger fish.
Speaker 3: So you could ask Hillary that question.
Speaker 8: That's where and that's where we are if it's from this from the top down.
Speaker 6: Seven seeing everybody. That's how I started with Trump and.
Speaker 4: His rid This dude said I dated some girls that might have been teenagers, but I got their mammy's permission. He said America was good back when it was still slavery. He said being gay should be illegal. He showed up to the polls to vote on a horse. If you lose to that, dude, you have to get out of politics. Okay, so you just got to get out the game. Bro, this is not for you. I'm not trying to piggyback off of I having recently just found out my entire family comes from Alabama, I'm now like sort of taking interest in.
Speaker 3: Alabama jokes and ship.
Speaker 8: No.
Speaker 4: No, I'm just saying that, you know, before I could ignore Alabama.
Speaker 3: Okay' y'all gave us the Commodores. Who else?
Speaker 4: I mean you, No, I'm just in general. It's like, I mean, do we really as Northerners? I mean, as Northerners, we've always had this reputation of being snooty and and and above it all, sort of looking down at our Southern counterparts. But you know, only yes, I understand that we we should all the Commodore's.
Speaker 3: You're still on that.
Speaker 4: We also gave y'all Beyonce's mama, So y'all Louisiana, my mama, Alabama.
Speaker 6: My Texas knows something.
Speaker 3: Something country ground. I know that. I mean I didn't even get to that part. I mean, we was going off with new kids on the block last week. So okay, we.
Speaker 4: All I'm saying is is is there hope for Alabama?
Speaker 3: Is there hope? Yes? Yes, Like are there any parts of Alabama that seemed remotely progressive? Yes?
Speaker 7: Absolutely. So I'm from Birmingham. So Birmingham is a blue county, deep blue county in the middle of a red state. I think Montgomery's a blue county as well. Birmingham just got a new mayor, thirty six year old brother named Randall Wood Finn Madham, and this dude is all about changing everything. This brother came in and Birmingham has had black mayor since the seventies, but it's always been an older guard sixty or over seventy year over type brothers who have a different ideology. So now you have someone that's young.
Speaker 4: And the first thing he did, literally the day after he was sworn in was fire half of the old mayor staff. Like when you talk about somebody serious about bringing in new blood and new people from top to bottom, what's up man? You the janetor Yeah, I'm gonna need you to give me your mob, bro, We're gonna go on. Everybody got fired, So you have that. And then also Inham there's a Birmingham, and I would argue this for the whole I know for the state. It's a fact, and I wonder I'd love to check the numbers to see what it is nationally. But we have nine black women sitting as judges on this city and county level, which is important because it's a predominantly black city where all the drug laws getting black people locked up. So when you're a black person and you go in front of a black judge, these black women, a lot of them are taking like all of these different sentencing alternatives instead of just throwing a Negro away and locking them up and leaving them in a rock and jail. Hey, I'm gonna give you a second chance, but go get that high school diploma for me. Come back and see me in a year after you got that house. Hey, I will lock you up, but you know what, go to this drug rehab program treating drugs as a disease instead of just oh you hold them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 4: So when you have people like that doing stuff like that now, I think it's a slow crawl. And if you look at Birmingham and what it was twenty or thirty years ago, negroes wasn't getting that type of benevolence in the legal system.
Speaker 3: So it's a start. I gotta say that it was.
Speaker 4: I was rather I was surprised we did like a showen Bermingham, like maybe last year and was I mean, I was thrown off by the tree that the willows. I'm still that still scares the living message.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I'm hanging trees. Yeah they're still up there. But uh, it seemed a little more forward than the rest of alum.
Speaker 4: It was was overtly friendly, like to a level that I wasn't used to almost.
Speaker 3: You know what.
Speaker 7: I blame that, don't know, man, Like I'm just being it sounds like a cop out because I'm from the state, But I just blame it on how the South is portrayed more often than not in television and film, especially Alabama. More often than not, if Alabama is the focus of something, it's either some period piece from back in the day where it's Nigga Nigga Nigga and I'm a savior and you get out of town boy, or it's First forty eight like those are pretty much the only two options in terms of how Alabama's portrayed, or some Forest Gump Backwood type ship.
Speaker 3: Do you resent that. I mean because even the term Bama, like when we oh yeah, Bama is a negative every day.
Speaker 7: But I understand it because you got a dude down there who says gay people should be in jail.
Speaker 6: Oh wait, Bama is a bad thing.
Speaker 4: I didn't think, oh yeah, yeah, you're just a country.
Speaker 6: And it's like we turned the bad into the good. Sometimes you could be a bad Bama, but then.
Speaker 3: There's a good Bama. Yeah.
Speaker 7: Never knew like it was so bad. Like I wouldn't tell people I was from Alabama. I would specifically say Birmingham so that it didn't trigger the Bama in their head, Like what I mean, people, you're from Alabama.
Speaker 3: Oh you're Abama. You're right, And I can't.
Speaker 4: Get Richie's like straight to you, not saying he wouldn't say Alabama, but he said.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's how we do. Man.
Speaker 7: It's it's a it's an interesting place. I just feel like they're more progressive of parts of the city, which is why it's important for me anytime I'm out and I'm doing shit that I'm screaming Alabama at the top of my lungs. Anytime I'm on television to make sure that that people know that good ship can still that there's still good shit coming out the state. It ain't just wipe my fuck on the horse.
Speaker 8: And off barness to the south though, like how Birmingham is to Alabama, Philly is to Pennsylvania, Like people don't know that is ready. I mean, and some of the largest journey has some of the largest clan population in the country.
Speaker 6: So I'm just saying that, you know.
Speaker 4: Yes, Birmingham, I was surprised. I mean I went there. We did a couple of shows there. I think we was in twenty fifteen. We did a couple of foreign change shows and afterwards I took my boys to the to the museum, museum and we went to the sixteenth the church, and that shit was just crazy just to be sitting there and to think like a bomb went off. Yeah, I mean that shit was literally standing in the same spot in the church. You know what's interesting though, like.
Speaker 7: I don't know where in North Carolina you all could have gone for like the civil rights museums and the history and the Rainsford So it's like Woolworth with all that the citys and all of that. So you do the class field trips and all of that stuff when you're growing up. We went to so much historical black stuff that in a way, when I grew up and I had the option of not going to a lot of that stuff, I had to break it up.
Speaker 3: Like even when like.
Speaker 4: Like I was just you know, it's just part of your it's part of your educational diet down south. Is this happened to you? This is what they did to us. Always remember never never forget it.
Speaker 3: Never never know.
Speaker 7: Like and before we moved when I was in the third grade, we lived in Memphis until the third grade. So we took a tour of Alex Haley's house and they took us to all of the civil rights spots, Lorraine Motel, the whole WAP. So I got to Birmingham. You're fed civil rights every single year. Class movie is civil rights movies. So when I became older, I was like, yo, I gotta take like I literally need a break on some PTSD type ship. I can't absorb this.
Speaker 3: So you haven't been to the have you Guysian? Have you been? Haven't been? Yeah, I gotta go. But they say it's a four hour and you leave.
Speaker 6: I was about to say, for years is real intent?
Speaker 4: You need five hours to process and you want to break it up in days.
Speaker 8: I'm just saying for the Burmah, I understand what you're saying now, Like that's the capital of civil rights. It is so many things that happened there that you might want to at the Smithsonian to one floor one day, the next day come back.
Speaker 7: So where I went before the Smithsonian, Atlanta opened up a new museum in the past year and a half and I went to that one, and that was the one where I said, all right, I'll do the Smithsonian.
Speaker 6: Mthsonian, is it? That's that's ground zero.
Speaker 4: Yeah, But I mean there's there's also ways to take a break. You know, Oprah has their theater in there. You can you can.
Speaker 6: Watch you got you gotta do a guy because.
Speaker 4: For him, like I'm certain that Timothy's gonna hold it down and take him through.
Speaker 8: You know, everybody else who's listening who don't have a Timothy, I would say.
Speaker 7: But there's guys there too. And that was the old joke that I used to do. I talked about how part of the problem with the Civil Rights Museum is that there's no one there to give you a hug before you leave, so you leave man.
Speaker 8: Can I tell you the way that the Smithsonian is built? You started the bottom, which is like middle passes. Yes, and so you kind of start with a heavy weight boulder on your back and you in the basement and then it kind of it slowly gets better.
Speaker 3: But it's like the second floor is Jim Crow reconstruction. Third floor is victory if you can make it. The floor is like Obama, like Jordan.
Speaker 4: I was just guessing Jordan. Yes, and it's weird. I've been there maybe five times, but again you would have to there's you don't You won't have a complete experience there unless you spend five hours. In the beginning the slave part, you're going to be in there for at least an hour. And I know during Civil Rights you're gonna want to see they have a recreation of Mattill's funeral. Wow, they have the casket, they have the church views.
Speaker 3: You walk up, Yeah, they no, it's it's it's it's it's a line.
Speaker 4: It's like I stood in line for twenty five minutes to go past.
Speaker 3: His casket is open.
Speaker 6: And you should see what the white people come through.
Speaker 8: Like they they listen, they met, they got a little metamorphous they go through, you get to a certain floor, it's like, I'm.
Speaker 3: A little contrast. Is the Holocaust Museum like that as well?
Speaker 8: I've never steve that's when you come.
Speaker 3: In somebody saying Holocaust.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm sure there has to be remnants and more like the and Frank, I mean I've been to.
Speaker 3: Trip.
Speaker 6: Don't think you should compare the two. It's kind of like this.
Speaker 4: Well no, I'm just because my question is I'm just like, other are the monuments and tragedy?
Speaker 3: Yeah, because it's deep.
Speaker 4: I mean you you've been at the Smithsonian, right, Yeah, Like I dude, I did not know uh that for the longest uh if we had to see doctors or anything, uh veterinarians, Yeah, saw us, and.
Speaker 3: They they showed they had if there's to do denal work this black people.
Speaker 4: Right, And I didn't know that black women weren't allowed to see gecologists. So just the torture devices they had to use for you to give childbirth.
Speaker 3: It that fucked with me.
Speaker 4: So I mean by the time you get to the fourth floor and you see like j Dilla's thing and the mothership connection and all that stuff, and let's keep.
Speaker 8: It all the way from it ain't no greater tragedy in this country than what happened to black people.
Speaker 6: So it was kind of hard to compare Native.
Speaker 8: Americans continuously for the present day.
Speaker 6: Like I don't know if it's been the longer.
Speaker 4: We're just asking, we're just asking if there Yeah, there's a facility. Yeah, that's people's brief, you know, made into I won't say commercialized, but are they exploited in that way?
Speaker 9: Well, I've never been to the Holocaust Museum, but I have been to the nine to eleven Museum, and I found that to be really difficult and sort of but not not difficult in the way that you're talking about, yeah.
Speaker 6: Because you were alive then and you remember.
Speaker 9: No, I just find it to be like commercialized in a way. It was it was like a show.
Speaker 4: Taking selfish the fucking is a fucking gift shop, you know or whatever, Like you know, it's like, yeah, there is and and they're showing you know, fire department ship which is cool whatever, and you know, stuff like that for the first responders, like that theme, I guess, but like it's just it was like fucking that what a fucking like a nine to eleven key chain, you know, like you know, it's like, yeah, with the fire Department, It's like it's fucking crazy.
Speaker 7: You know what else I do sometimes like if I've decided that a Black Struggle movie, If I've decided that a Black Struggle movie is going to be too intense for me and I just can't sit in the theater, I'll fandango a ticket opening weekend and I will not go. I will sit comfortably until that ship comes on the plane. Or I can stream it somewhere and then watch it in thirty minute intervals so that when I start feeling angry, I'm halfway through it.
Speaker 6: I don't yeah, wait like Marshall neither, because I'm like, what movie?
Speaker 4: Yeahs, I've seen Marsha yet I haven't seen That's good.
Speaker 3: I saw that Marshall.
Speaker 6: Ye, I don't even know that because the end of Marshall, y'all know what the end of markin.
Speaker 3: I mean, I don't think you're spoiling it because it's pre Supreme Court, right.
Speaker 4: Wait, he doesn't go to ninety one.
Speaker 6: No no, no, no, no no.
Speaker 8: At the end of Marshall, it's like a moment where he takes on his next case, of course, and the case is Trayvon his parents, Trayvon Martin's parents, and they're like like a period piece and they have lines and stuff, and all of a sudden you just end up crying.
Speaker 6: It's like Trayvon's parents and.
Speaker 8: The lawyers because actually they're in it and in the next case, but they're dressed in their nineteen, you know, sixties.
Speaker 6: It was awesome.
Speaker 7: Yeah, civil rights movies, man, I love it and we need them and they're essential, but it just it just like Salem was the last one that I set in the theater in its entirety. To watch the rest of them, I fandango and then I just have to eat that ship in bite sized chunks.
Speaker 4: It's like watching the snuff film, but that's not really black stroke. Get Out like three Negro humming in the middle of you know, I'm talking about that Negro Jesus a white woman. Okay, So I guess since this is our end of the year, uh, of course, get Out is one of the major miracles of cinema.
Speaker 3: Shout out to Jordan.
Speaker 4: Can I ask, though, do you think that everyone got obviously got get Out? Because there's I mean, there's different levels to watch it on. Of course, by the first week, everyone was talking about the Easter.
Speaker 3: Eggs and the hidden meanings.
Speaker 4: But I still think that that it went over a lot of people's heads, like they just saw it as a frothy horror film. It's almost to the point where I actually think that even the co stars, like I don't think that Alison truly, I didn't.
Speaker 3: Think she understands where she knew what she was getting into.
Speaker 4: Well, because I know that underneath all of that, like I mean, Jordan's just so many levels of woke, on on on on the potent of the message.
Speaker 6: And how is he with his situation too? But okayd with.
Speaker 4: His situation, So I don't know, he may he still may get out.
Speaker 3: You know what it's like to be uncomfortable in a white family's house.
Speaker 6: It's just so interesting.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I'm sure I.
Speaker 6: Don't. Don't get me in the bed.
Speaker 3: But I'm sorry saying you know.
Speaker 9: I've seen it a few times. I saw in the theater and then I saw it on.
Speaker 3: I saw it.
Speaker 9: I'm proud of you, Steve, But tell me, tell me what potentially I'm I'm missing.
Speaker 7: Uh, yeah, that's the origin the question. Did white people get the same question?
Speaker 3: What's what's the down under is that?
Speaker 2: Is that that.
Speaker 6: They're over it now?
Speaker 4: It was the idea of the sunken place, the idea of black bodies in controlled by white Uh yeah, I mean there was a lot of underhanded symbolism in there that I think just generally went over people's heads.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm okay, but what what specifically.
Speaker 6: What he just he just broke it down?
Speaker 3: But was that four white people?
Speaker 4: Were those parts of the film ever intended for white people to get like the like the scene where Daniel is dapping up Lakeith Stanfield and he goes for the dap and le Keith gives him the handshake, right, and he knew right then something was right right. I kind of feel like the last that get Out was almost the equivalent of the Rise of the Village People, where in nineteen seventy nine you're going the you know, they were America's favorite group.
Speaker 3: Everyone's like not.
Speaker 4: Know that this is a whole subculture we got your kids thinking about exactly. Like, That's That's what I feel like get Out represented as in the message was so potent. Well, I think it's something to that. I agree because I saw it. I saw three times. One time I saw it like we was up here. So I saw it once. The first time I saw it was at Detroit. It was in Detroit.
Speaker 3: We was on tour.
Speaker 4: Whoa, it was at a theater in Detroit. I was about to say, there's one theater in Detroit. It was the one that's out the way out, And I knew it was a black theater because all the ranch saw it was really like I knew the racial demographics already. So I'm like, all the damn ranch, all the gona said, yeah, it's some niggas in here. So I saw it there, and then I saw it in Raleigh. Me and my wife went to see it at like the theater like in our neighborhood.
Speaker 3: It was like a lot of mostly white.
Speaker 4: So the theme that was so telling every time I saw it that at the end when the police pull up or what we think is the police, every black person in the theater.
Speaker 6: Was like, oh, like that.
Speaker 4: Was the horror, Like that's the horror movie right there. Yeah, I did a bleeding white girl and the police show up. Nigga, that's horror, yo.
Speaker 6: He had a couple of those dog whistle moments.
Speaker 8: He even had a sister dog whistle moment that I remember, I said to you, you ain't catch it. When the chick that was the black chick that was already hypnotized or whatever was the grandma was in the room and he was talking to his girlfriend. He was like, she was in here, like you know, that's the whole thing. Like remember, I don't know if y'all remember. She was like, that's a thing with black women, like she.
Speaker 3: In the room.
Speaker 8: She came, yeah, when he can't mess with his phone when she messed with his phone and the and the girlfriend was like, why was.
Speaker 6: She mess with your phone? He's like, what do you mean? Why was Oh okay.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, I get it.
Speaker 4: I can actually top you, uh on on on that Fronte I saw. First of all, it got to the point where I was obsessed with seeing the film, but more or less watching people watch the watching the right. So I think, yeah, I've never seen a film more than I've seen get Out. In movie theaters, I think I've seen like seventeen eighteen times.
Speaker 3: We were in Palm Beach in Florida. It was like watching.
Speaker 4: A whole nother film because it's literally me and a room. It was a small theater, so it was about maybe sixty chairs. I'll say forty five of them were older white people, and it was just like the complete opposite, Like they were appalled and shocked because by that point the critical claimness of the film, it became like must see movie.
Speaker 6: You know, I M see saw Somebody walk out.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was watching It was like watching a whole nother film when you watched it in Palm Beach without spoiling the movie. Did those people in the theater clap at the end or frown? Oh they didn't clap at all when they were everybody the scene, the scene where the very end when the outside Yeah, right before uh rail gets out of his vehicle and uh uh Allison is in her position.
Speaker 3: Right. We already talked about the bleeding white girl earlier.
Speaker 4: Okay, yeah, they're like, that's the first time I heard someone express sadness for.
Speaker 3: Her, well for him. Yeah.
Speaker 4: It was like, oh, like because when I saw it in I went to the Magic Theater, Harlem Harlem were cheering, right, but in Palm Beach was like like, oh god, she's about that sort of thing.
Speaker 3: Also, I will also add much for that.
Speaker 4: Well, probably this will probably make like you're very happy every time I saw the movie, every black woman, my wife include.
Speaker 3: Was like, don't trust that bitch. Don't trust that bitch.
Speaker 4: Like they knew the girl with a whole the whole time, chopping off hands. They every all the black women they knew off rip that she was a part of it.
Speaker 3: She was in on the hit.
Speaker 4: Well, I have to say that, uh, for the maybe the second year of that, movies and television have sort.
Speaker 3: Of top music. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yes, as far as entertainments concerned, yes, a thousand times. Yes, are there any Are there any other significant movies? Real Boys with three Real Boys, Yes, had three billboards. It's not a black movie.
Speaker 3: She has and that ship is hard.
Speaker 4: And sam uh uh rock Well, I tell you what pissed me off this year was not It wasn't. Jada Pinkett had a tweet storm a couple of weeks ago about this about the Golden Globe Tupac tweets. So Tiffany got snoozed for a Golden Globe and Girls Trip wasn't nominated for a Golden Globe. And not only was it not nominated, the Hollywood form press didn't even watch the fucking movie the number.
Speaker 6: Why would they?
Speaker 3: Why would because it's a black movie.
Speaker 7: But if it's the number one grossing comedy of the summer, how yeah, it beat the ship out of Rough Night. Well yeah, but I get it. It's it's a black movie and these are foreigners. And if somebody told me one time, doctor King didn't cross the ocean, so it's all the marching he did, he never crossed the ocean. So it's still a lot of risks. So they just didn't fuck with girls trip. They didn't even affect the numbers enough to go all right, maybe this is an exception to.
Speaker 3: Our new nigga movie nomination rule. That's crazy because I.
Speaker 4: Thought that Tiffany's story would have been the kind of story that they championed.
Speaker 3: Uh oh yeah, coming.
Speaker 8: Up through the it would have been if she would have did a white movie, probably if it probably would have made a difference.
Speaker 6: I've seen comedies and had a black friend.
Speaker 4: If she would have been like Jennifer Hudson in the City, like the Magical Negro that helps.
Speaker 7: The three years ago when Leslie blew the block up on s n L because it was a white show, then maybe there was more white acceptance of Leslie than Tiffany because she blew the block up out the gate on a Black productions fucked up considering how Good Girls Tripp was like, but.
Speaker 8: It was really black production, Like, it's not just that one black writers like, oh, y'all, y'all running.
Speaker 3: It was black.
Speaker 4: The essence super what is it? Essence Festival was the black one with the whole movie. Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 6: Speaking of Golden Globe snub just want to shout out to Queen Sugar. I just want to say that too.
Speaker 4: Well, you know what I say. Everybody got snubbed, literally everyone. This is the snubbiest.
Speaker 8: Except for who was the loudest on the carpet last yo, that is Queen nominated, Lisa got nominated, and last year actress or rights the category.
Speaker 3: I want to say, I want to say in front of you.
Speaker 6: Yeah I do. I just didn't want to do it enough.
Speaker 8: Yeah, but remember last year on the red carpet, everybody but.
Speaker 3: Voting for everybody, but right, yeah, Queen Sugar. Man.
Speaker 4: I think the problem with Queen Sugar not necessarily the show, but just I think it's the fact that it's on own.
Speaker 3: I think that's why they keep shitting on it.
Speaker 6: That's true. Don't have no nominations you and.
Speaker 7: That's a quality shows with anything else gorgeous show Man, not even it's not even received, I mean love or any It's nothing. But I would argue that, and I don't know anything about contracts in Hollywood and all that ship, but I would argue that that's part of the reason why I own changed over from Tyler Perry to Will Packerd to handle production the most dramas over the next four to five years, to basically change the.
Speaker 3: Entire and the types of shows. She just sold the network. Didn't she know?
Speaker 8: She know she took a bigger cut of the network.
Speaker 3: Discovery or something always owned it.
Speaker 6: They always I thought.
Speaker 7: I think they bought a big I think there's Bill Packer and Tyler Perry, two totally different types of producers, and the type of shows that they were green light are night and day. So that may help to that problem going forward if there's other shows on the network that are more in line with what Queen Sugar is, because Queen Sugar for a long time was a anomaly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it looked like nothing else.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because Yo, I haven't watched I have.
Speaker 3: A what do you call it?
Speaker 4: I started on iTunes, Uh, only because the church. I can kind of like relate to a lot of this fucking missing. It's within the church.
Speaker 3: It's just pastors and people stealing money back dramas you can find on own.
Speaker 4: My mother watches the haves and the have nots. I can't do it.
Speaker 3: That's another.
Speaker 4: That has and the have nots. And then he had like a comedy. It was another joint the pain, pain, more pain, but I have not is the one like my mother loves.
Speaker 6: She loves none of them touching. This is us because it was our year. God damn it. I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: I've still had to watch this show.
Speaker 4: So on the music side, when you all see somebody get snubbed, we got snubbed. I will say that, with the exception of what's this year's Pixar film Coco Coco. Yeah, literally with the song that we did for Detroit shout out to fan Tickeolo also including this yeah with with and speaking of I should name the song it ain't fair, uh for Detroit fulfilling prophets apparently Listen now, yeah, we've literally we've been listed. And you know when they give the projections of like, you know, songs, Yeah, but then when you look at the nominations like even the Shoe win like common Song for.
Speaker 3: That didn't even get nominated. Good, Yeah that didn't get nominated. It's it was him and Day and Dyane Warren.
Speaker 6: It is so no seasoning didn't know.
Speaker 8: It's like if you don't stand for something, you gotta stand for anything possible.
Speaker 3: The guy that wrote was working with Dian Yeah. It was a load. It was a long road. Yeah.
Speaker 4: So no, but I mean he's still got it. Got his song got nominated for Grammy and the n Double a c P Award like everything. I never heard what movie was it in, just very good. I didn't even know the movie came out. So he came out, it came out. It's like they let's get this ship out for Black Panther come out. I think I ignored it because Chadwick Boseman was in it and just have him.
Speaker 3: And everybody like that was his third historical Black Girl.
Speaker 6: But Sterling Brown was in that movie as well, and he was really good. Sterling.
Speaker 4: He gives Chadwick Boseman twned actor. I just don't think he needs to play every historical.
Speaker 3: That was the one yet, and I did think that him playing third good.
Speaker 4: That was that was some some Zoe's what wasn't.
Speaker 7: Don't even do it as James Brown.
Speaker 3: I bought him ass Jackie Robinson.
Speaker 7: No, he killed those. He killed both of those. Buy him as a mythical black leader to blind black panthers. Okay, so I spread the love with that, because.
Speaker 3: Do we get mad?
Speaker 4: If you get mad, and then do you just go for awards and just do the work? I don't know full q Tip, It's like.
Speaker 3: Never let us tell me how well you know? The black Twitter was clapping back of that instantly. So it's nigga, you just jealous. No no, no, no no, I just meant that. You know.
Speaker 4: I knew that someone was going to bring up the tribe line. I never need a statue to tell me. But I mean I get tips point. Uh what we're talking about is, uh, we're trying to get tipped back on the show too. I gotta shut up.
Speaker 3: God, we're not slandering him.
Speaker 4: I mean, basically I see where Tip was going because this is the last Tribe moment. It would have been a nice book ending if they least got nominated, like as a moment.
Speaker 3: For I thought they deserve the nomination.
Speaker 8: Just have a real Grammy moment though, for real, like this, okay, just because the organization. First of all, I'm curious as if q tip is a voting members. So many, so many hip hop artists that aren't voting members, Like people forget that this is like your whole voting situation. So it's like, you don't be mad like he's I guess he should be mad at all the other rappers.
Speaker 4: And but the thing with the Grammys, I mean, I guess like any other it's not a meritocracy.
Speaker 3: It's a campaign.
Speaker 8: Yes you got but they also have to be a voting member and a paint But.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you have a point. This is the year.
Speaker 4: This year is the sea change because now we're voting online, man, And that's why that to me, that one year solidifies that.
Speaker 3: Back before this year.
Speaker 4: And in conversations with our good friend James Harris Id, I kind of figured that really the Grammys are just twenty people in a room really deciding that. And he's got the most, you know, but not quite trusting the situation. I have to say that this is the official year that the actual voting body members got a say in what is, which can be a dangerous thing because let's.
Speaker 3: Say at sponsored by rock.
Speaker 4: Nation, right, Because the thing is, if there's any time for a legacy group like the Roots to pull a jeth Row toll, like this is our time to do it where it's like, oh yeah, I like those guys, you know, twenty years and like us beating I'm just I'm giving you.
Speaker 8: Thing.
Speaker 3: You guys gonna beat Cardi B. Yeah, like you don't pity votes.
Speaker 4: Now under the old system, I definitely thought that, oh, now's our time to cake off of you know, being the familiar old name and a monkst that sort of thing. But now that this new voting system of us actually voting online, yeah, it's it's I predict this is going to be a problem because you're really going to see the the the barometer of where theote voting members are.
Speaker 6: Because I'm in Cardi B gonna win Grammy this.
Speaker 3: Year, probably it could happen.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the value of a Grammy is just going to.
Speaker 3: Cardi B. Is a meme to me.
Speaker 8: I mean, I don't know what to do about Cardi I mean, it wasn't hit record.
Speaker 4: I mean, but if you're judging it on full body of work and album, and I don't think there is and all of that, but just that record.
Speaker 3: I was in the place it's a jam. I was in a sunken place with it. Yeah. Have you heard it on loud speakers? I've heard. No, I haven't. I've heard it in a car once. That's the only time I ever heard the song. I like you. I was proud to not have known a Bodak Yellow.
Speaker 4: I was good with it, and then one day, like again, the whole slithering Gryffin door.
Speaker 3: I just have to remember, I don't fun with hip hop at all anymore. No, I get it.
Speaker 4: I'm I'm borderlined with you. And I'm still trying to make a listen off from something I don't fuck. I'm just saying that I ain't the reallyship I'm saying backstage in the Griffin door dressing room of the Roots show, I've never seen Harry Potter either, by the way, I've never seen anything.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And in two weeks and the Griffin doing it was quiet as hell. But in the Slithering room it was turned city and that song became infectious.
Speaker 3: I couldn't avoid the join it.
Speaker 4: It's a jam, it's a record, and the thing is But like when always happened, what does she do next?
Speaker 3: I don't know. Some came it's a.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, we're becoming those people where we need someone young to help us. Man, I've been that nigga about ten years.
Speaker 3: Because.
Speaker 4: But is that before us? That's not what it's not is not but migos is more for me than music. That was my that was my listen. I love them nigga as a I was on the bubble about all that trap rap shup, and then I tried to write a fucking parody song, and I realized how ten fifteen years of radio I ain't never had no problem putting together take that line and make that funey and take that. It's easy to build a parody song mirroring the fucking You cannot mirror that ship. You cannot, like just even just writing a regular verse matches I.
Speaker 3: I can't do it. Well. I think it's hard to beard prescription drugs.
Speaker 4: I need to do some concerpt to slow the girl down, because the new joint is them, the Gucci gang joint, that ship.
Speaker 3: Make that yellow white God damn good game.
Speaker 4: Little Peak, now he wanted to die, Little Peak die. That's a little a little somebody. It's a white boy. It's called Gucci Gang. Oh yeah, just look it's a white dude, little little Troy, No, little Pump, little little Pump.
Speaker 3: No, I'm old. What's the name of that young boy that was the one?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I got Pump and Pete confused, Little Pete, Pete died.
Speaker 3: Pump is Pump is good game? Game? You know, a Guccie game coming those that one of those on the freeing about little Pump. Look, it was the first time that Boss Bields listen like rock him.
Speaker 6: Can we just stop playing trap songs in the year because.
Speaker 3: I got request This is a real song. This is a real song.
Speaker 6: Bill took off his headphones.
Speaker 3: Gucci game, your game you? Yeah, what's your head ones on? Ain't gonna hand bob men? And what the rang go?
Speaker 6: And I never heard I knew he was gonna do that.
Speaker 3: The funniest thing about this song, though, is.
Speaker 4: It has a behind the lyrics that like you can do on really ever was a fucking song that didn't need that?
Speaker 3: Ain't seventeen times?
Speaker 6: Can I hear mask off?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 6: We're not taking.
Speaker 3: Future meyl Street Ship, Don't chase no chick. Yeah, I'll get your point.
Speaker 4: Bill Washington proud wash Stield Bill's avoidance of trap culture is that similar to nutrition? All right, if you're trying to lose weight, if you're trying to live a better way of life, are you going to eat one hundred? Uh now laters in the morning. He's not interested in this ship doesn't mean anything to me.
Speaker 6: He's trailing your mind.
Speaker 3: I know, but you it's junk food.
Speaker 4: It's liricly, it's acoustic junk food that you partake in from time to time and it gives me diarrhea.
Speaker 3: But you can't I get it.
Speaker 7: The problem though, to that, to that perspective is fair because of how corporations of influence radio playlists.
Speaker 4: I ain't got to explain that to anybody, and how we're radio stations give you the same fifty songs every month, and they have their corporate meeting and then they add in ten more and.
Speaker 3: Then they make sure that the dumbest songs in the.
Speaker 4: World because they also control the touring. They also control the venues, and we know everybody's going to show up to see the dumb song. Dumb song sells more tickets than woke song because they think you're all idiots.
Speaker 6: Yeah good, what about Tyler the Creator. Can we just have a moment because I thought.
Speaker 3: That that record it sounds like suicidal Pharrell. I just thought it was a happier I mean happy for him. I thought it was probably the happiest.
Speaker 7: I mean for Taler. Yes, it's pretty damn happy. Yeah, but for anybody else, No, I haven't heard it. I haven't heard anything after Camp since Earl Sweatshirts album, and I think that's two years ago that.
Speaker 4: Well, here's the thing this album. You know, I was expecting the normal Tyler I'll crush your testicles in my teeth that sort of, and it wasn't that.
Speaker 3: It was like, do it again, give me another bar time, I'll crush your testiles my teethted women with brittle pass that style.
Speaker 4: And he made a very musical, light sounding record which shot the ship out of This is the record that I think he'll get the old heads with you like cast our ad like, this.
Speaker 3: Is the record.
Speaker 8: And to be honest, it's funny because when we interview roy Airs, it's just actually ended up being what roy Air said he was because just did not know Tyler to create his name. He knew, did I work with this young dude? And he is so talented and.
Speaker 3: He called him a piano but he said, yeah, he played the piano. They played the piano. So we're thinking, were like, okay, Robert Blast like no, no.
Speaker 4: No piano. We're just going through every jazz dude like no, no, noah. So we're like, okay, well we'll just move on. So we know you work with Tyler, creator of all the things to described Tyler created as I don't think piano player would be the Iceland is very oh that is is that?
Speaker 3: You know? That was the Jellies, the one on Vicelands, Like a, wait, how many shows his talent have just too But it's like a he wants.
Speaker 7: It's almost like a he's just traveling the world and it's I don't even want to call it Boordain because it's not fair to make that comparison. But he's experiencing something with somebody from his camp, and this person's just explained he would like a toy shopping like lear toys, how to make waffles, learn how to get served, Like it was a whole episode of him just in the fucking forest in Canada, tapping maple trees.
Speaker 4: The one he designs a go Kart and they build it for him. And then there's one where it was the one I just saw the other day. Oh, he learns how to do stop motion animation that you shouldn't.
Speaker 7: But he asked interesting questions that make you curious about it as well. So you're experiencing something through his brain. It's a good show.
Speaker 8: It is a good show the creator definitely.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Okay, so another notable record. Now I have my theory on it.
Speaker 3: What were our thoughts on four four four? Oh me, first Me, first Me, First first Me, first hit? It mixed that album? Holy shit, that sounds horrible.
Speaker 4: Yeah, fall you know, you know what I have to say that nevi Ja, I know that. Okay, I'm not saying my theory, but I definitely know that, especially based on Smile. My theory is that maybe they were late comers, lake comers to donuts and yeah, I know.
Speaker 3: Let's call it munchkins. They were late comers to it, and that they were trying to give you that vibe. No, it just sounded because they recorded in some of the best of studio.
Speaker 4: It sounded like it sounded like, really, this is vond this is no dis to you, bro. It sounded like an ovon p album.
Speaker 3: Wow. Yeah, I thought it was. It was his best album in a long time.
Speaker 6: Okay, we're gonna talk content now.
Speaker 3: But here's the thing. Yeah, I know you read, you're ready. I personally I'm going to record with this. I don't believe. I don't believe Lemonade nor four four.
Speaker 6: So you think it's just conspiracy things.
Speaker 4: I think they know we want blood and we'll take it. They're gonna sell us blood. But I can see that, I guess, because my question is, how, if that really did happen, if either one of them was in was cheating on each other, how do you keep that shit of secret that I would have to kill a motherfucker?
Speaker 3: I mean, like, I mean the video Solange in the elevator beating somebody's.
Speaker 4: Right, right right, and that now that knowing Solange, I think that ship was real.
Speaker 3: That was real. That was real.
Speaker 4: There's been talk on what happened to bring that on, which was real. But I'm just saying that if you're the most famous, I mean, I got D list celebrity, me can't. I can't make motherfuckers keep secret. You're not a billionaire though, Yeah, but even then, it's like.
Speaker 3: Call but that was a whole other level.
Speaker 4: This nigga was higher massad agents and ship to do like that nigga was on some day the Jackal ship. I just don't think in the age of of of selfie culture and just the needs advertise.
Speaker 3: I know your secrets. Yeah, there's five people that know where the bodies are buried.
Speaker 4: In my life, Jay and Beyonce have never really been very public people to begin with, So why would that should be public.
Speaker 3: To begin with?
Speaker 4: Okay, do you You didn't even know they were officially married until like after the Here's.
Speaker 9: The thing though, Okay, I'm writing a book about you.
Speaker 3: When Okay, so I wouldn't deal with that alright, February two thousand and six. You're not gonna like it? What? Right? Okay?
Speaker 4: So in two thousand and six, I had the pleasure of visiting will Smith's castle, right, and a question I asked him was I was like, yo, because again, it was the most overwhelming experience I ever had in someone's house. Like, he has a stadium inside the house when he wants to play basketball, there's like a replica of the forum there and all that stuff. So it's basically like at one point I was just like, yo, with all these people in your property, Like, what is alone? Like, can you just walk around the house naked if you want to not being He's like, well, you're never alone. You just get used to it. I said, so what's being alone? Like, what's like no one's home? And he's like, oh, no one's home. He's like, that's about eighteen people. So he's never just on his own, right, I can't imagine. I know people that have signed n d A's that still yeat their mouth because they can't hold it in on.
Speaker 3: You know, I know, you know, I know.
Speaker 4: People in his organization and as organization and mad celebrities or they have signed crazy.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, But at a certain point when you're around people, and I mean not for nothing, but I'm friends with his sisters and stuff, it's like you respect them in a way where you don't do that like they keep I mean, I don't know, I feel like they keep people around that well.
Speaker 3: I don't know, but I know stuff that I maybe should not know me.
Speaker 6: Too, and I would never because you just respect the situation.
Speaker 4: But my thing is that if you know the line about the Minaja Twa and stuff, I'm just.
Speaker 3: Like, how are you going to pull that off?
Speaker 4: Like again, So in and looking at those old Purple Rain notes and looking at it in the Purple Rain Notes, Prince finds Brown Mark uh for being late the bus call. Like there's a thing where some memos like whatever, twenty five dollars for being three minutes, Like Brown Mark was like four minutes late to lobby call. And kind of the thought behind it was like, because Prince was such at a high level of celebrity that he can't even go in that hotel lobby like he used to during the nineteen ninety nine tour and you know, play Girl Watcher so was getting all the round. Mark was basically kicking up the Purple Rain tour because he his level celebrity wasn't so that he couldn't go in a prison right exactly. So I can't imagine, like how do you broker that deal?
Speaker 3: Like yeah, yeah, who's.
Speaker 6: The super mega pimps?
Speaker 3: Who's the whole runner for Jason?
Speaker 6: There's got to be come on, I mean here, you must know this.
Speaker 8: There's got to be like some super millionaire pimpatient.
Speaker 7: Whole Like I won't say his name here, but I've heard stories of a famous white actor playboy who if he sees somebody in the club, do you want to fuck? He send the goon over. Yes, uh, he would like the fuck.
Speaker 6: Are you okay with Donald DiCaprio.
Speaker 3: I will not say this, confirm that yo.
Speaker 4: And so they say, yo, you just come up to the room and just the bodyguard or whoever just brings you in, shift down.
Speaker 7: He will be in in a second, and then he just walks in. We fucked, and then he leaves and you stay there and put your clothes on, You get your phone back, and then you get the paperwork though.
Speaker 4: No paper but in this age, it's like who can keep their mouth silent on that ship on.
Speaker 8: To a lot of people who think that there might be another meeting of the possibility of getting something more.
Speaker 6: It's more is.
Speaker 7: Potentially the moment you realized that you was just a hotel fuck while my bodyguard watched you get your back beat out, then the only thing left you got to profit from is the story. So then you're more likely to go and wring your mouth.
Speaker 8: Yeah, but in my mind, they get a couple of dollars in those you know, Jay Beyonce situations.
Speaker 3: That's prostitution. I don't know. I mean, I just I don't.
Speaker 4: I don't believe that's institution when you're when you're that level. I just don't believe. I can't believe that someone is that silent to not speak on the situation.
Speaker 3: I don't think Becky Becky with the blond hair would have been that question.
Speaker 8: It would be the biggest coup ever though. I mean, he's came out, and if this is all a lie.
Speaker 6: I don't believe it's the biggest coup ever I feel.
Speaker 3: I mean, maybe the Illuminati connections they can have limit. I'm I thought of that too, but I mean you got I mean, and you.
Speaker 4: Even said this before, Boss Bill, if it was a black girl that he cheated on the balls on that black woman to essentially make herself the most hated woman in America, like you slept with Beyonce's husband.
Speaker 3: You don't do that.
Speaker 8: How many women have you heard say I slept with Denzel even though we all know.
Speaker 3: But I haven't heard nobody.
Speaker 8: I haven't trying to funk with Paul Letter. I mean, just you know, the one the one to be thinking, no, I'm reading.
Speaker 6: You know, I just.
Speaker 3: Right now.
Speaker 8: But the point is nobody want to piss off Paul Letter and nobody want to be that one that said that messed up.
Speaker 3: I haven't. I personally haven't heard that, but I mean, I'm not.
Speaker 8: Just the one so not story, but I'm saying outside that you look at that man and done his business, I would believe it was the other ahead.
Speaker 7: I would believe these conspiracy This is first of all, let me just say I love a good conspiracy theory. And this is the first time I've heard the one that Eliminade four for four are incy.
Speaker 3: Wait, wait, wait for the record.
Speaker 4: I don't want nobody from the Illuminadi or the or the Bad Hive.
Speaker 3: To kill me. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they're not even listening to Pandora anyway, You're gonna hold you that.
Speaker 3: They're on title because on the place where Eliminade is, I'm just Eliminade. I'll write out, really, yeah it is.
Speaker 7: Gets you all money, get I give you Lemonade as a bunch of songwriters creating a facade. But I feel like Jay on trip or four would be a little more truthful to his life.
Speaker 3: And about his mom's truth. I think he's a smart ass motherfucker brother and did a song about it, don't you want to believe?
Speaker 4: Come on, Obama's brothers running around with Twitter account going off the chain?
Speaker 3: How come I ain't heard from Jay's brother yet because j paid him off.
Speaker 4: Is he still alive? Did he in the song he survived? I'm just saying, did he die from something? I was afraid to ask? We even got to you. But the thing about the Jay's brother thing. Jazz mentioned that in like another interview or song or something where he said that after he shot his brother, he was the first one he came to.
Speaker 3: That Jay came to Jazz, like you know.
Speaker 6: Helped me out.
Speaker 4: I think that may be true. I think the tim shooting brother, I think that happened. I always looked at music as the purest form. Jay's album to me, is the most emotionally naked he's ever been.
Speaker 3: But it ain't nothing.
Speaker 4: I've been running and dying to go see him perform.
Speaker 3: I'm not dying to watch him walk back and forth on I wish he would have presented it. He said, he's very It's true. He's not a concert album either. It's not. It's not a.
Speaker 8: Record Rose and finding it out too. I don't think it's also not the crime tickets.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like six dollars. Yeah, they were overcharged to retur they were overcharging.
Speaker 4: They were overcharging for the floor seats right and hoping that they would make up for the cheap seats everywhere else. Wow, wait, six bucks? When's the last time my contract ticket has been six bucks?
Speaker 8: Speaking of concerts at twenty seventeen, can y'all confirm or deny this that the pictures on social media of Janet and stuff were more exciting than the actual performance in itself.
Speaker 3: The show was good, Okay, I enjoyed this slow show.
Speaker 6: Well you have to.
Speaker 4: When I saw you asked what she moving slower than normal?
Speaker 6: Somebody said, I heard that she was.
Speaker 3: Friends with some haters, so light, and I.
Speaker 4: Said that fifty one year old Janet is not to the level of twenty three year old that's are you? Are you imposing some unrealistic standards on her?
Speaker 6: I just had questions.
Speaker 3: I didn't know I heard. I heard this tour was good.
Speaker 4: The tour before that, when she was all when they married up woman, she stopped grabbing dicks. That she's not doing it on this one.
Speaker 3: Why must you grab the dicks when you're on the stitch? You love my wife. I do not want to grab it any more. Dicks. Okay, I won't grab it, Oh my god, but that's what I do. I grabs no nothing anymore. It's not like Boris and Na.
Speaker 6: Say, Janny gonna be with your main eight.
Speaker 3: I enjoyed who I did, say.
Speaker 6: Jan getting back with your eight. I was just giving you a little some of that getting back to.
Speaker 3: Pre pre pre Oh how am I No? That's slipper ride you see to jump in there with. She was on tour of Jermaine jack Thought.
Speaker 6: I was like, he's tour as well. Though he still does his thing. He still does his thing, Jermaine Jackson.
Speaker 3: I'm going to stop o. Hey.
Speaker 4: We also forgot to mention I she was a guest on the show today. Uh, this is a control how we feel about side Chick diaries.
Speaker 3: She's carrying on.
Speaker 4: I had I still on my iPhone that I had it on my phone when I went over to Europe this fall, and every time one of the songs came on, I was into it until she started singing, and then I had.
Speaker 6: To skip buck damn you hard on.
Speaker 3: I like that song she did on the tonight show.
Speaker 6: What's It All?
Speaker 3: What was it called. I don't know. It has some moments that I that I.
Speaker 8: Did, like love Galore did Drawn with Travis Scott. That's like the jaw, that's the hello.
Speaker 3: R and B. I have to be like alone to absorb like I can't. It has to be from like before nineteen ninety.
Speaker 6: So there's no R and B.
Speaker 3: This I like my record, my early new edition. You don't even stuck with the all white suit.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a couple of cuts, but yeah, you're right, didn' Jim and lewis Hae Whre was the star of the story by on Home Again. Then Jerelivert produced that cut how did you like Your Love?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, they.
Speaker 4: Took like half a New Office star of the story, so they weren'tetting a by Rod Sifferton.
Speaker 3: But that was my Joe.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah that think wrote to Nicholas. I didn't know that mother because the names were always together. Yeah, it hit your and the thing was but to me, I'm like, Hi, a nigga named Edwin got a nickname name Tony.
Speaker 3: Like that.
Speaker 4: Shouldn't all right, said my army. My joint was sucking my homegirl Bosco Britney Bosco. She had a she put out an EPs just called b and that ship is fucking dope. It's dope. And also Gwynn as well. I really I've been all her ship for a while. But yeah, I go crazy with this year.
Speaker 6: Maggie, that chick Rogers, that's what.
Speaker 3: My student. No, yes, Maggie, I love you. Maggie Rochester is one of my students at n y U. No, she's from Ohio. Oh, I know you're talking about, but I can't remember the gospel chick Chris.
Speaker 4: You had her on Instagram. You posted her ship on Instagram, and yeah, I can't remember. It must not have been that great.
Speaker 3: No, it's just we know that I'm having brain.
Speaker 4: I always have brain for I want to say, Crystal, she's like the gospel chick, like with the real thick harmonies.
Speaker 3: And then why are you doing that?
Speaker 4: I remember seeing a whole bunch of people tweeting the posting. I didn't because I had a whole bunch I had this ship to do.
Speaker 3: I peeped working.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna just say but it was like it was like a week when everybody was posting about and then nothing.
Speaker 6: Hello, got link, you killed it? Thank you for saving me.
Speaker 3: Gold Link.
Speaker 2: Come on.
Speaker 3: Wait.
Speaker 4: I had high expectations for god Links album because I like the mixtape that he had out before this ship was great. But then I just found out that I like the production because but I think that's true for all, Like, I mean, that seems to be the case. Like when people say they're tired of hip hop, I don't think they're tired of hip hop. They're just tired of rappers. Yeah, if I never heard another rapper rap again, I will would be too soon. I'm fit and I'm with you. I say that as a rapper, I'll be niggas rap. But cruise the jam, Cruise the jam.
Speaker 6: I mean, we don't have a lot in DC. We got him and you know, and Marvin Gaye.
Speaker 3: That's it. Wait, wait, hold on. Black people don't like rap music anymore. No, black people, like they don't like rappers all black people. Yeah, this is a question of supreme exclusive. Yes, rappers don't like rapp. Not like rappers.
Speaker 6: A Black rappers don't like rappers.
Speaker 3: Like I like rap.
Speaker 7: But then if it's it's gotta be a little bit off the beaten path, Like it's got to be something that's a little harder to find, and you know, someone that you stumble upon you like there was a there was a minute for like a decade. Were the only way I got put on the new rap that wasn't caught up in the radio corporate bullshit was video games. Video games introduced me to a ship ton of new music across all genres, Like if you play Madden or Fifa, it's impossible to not discover new I was listening to the K pop fucking around with FIFA.
Speaker 3: Yo.
Speaker 4: They fucking group love out of fucking LA, this fucking group epic high, Like half they ship is in Korean. They ran and I fucking downloaded ship. I can't speak Korean, but I was like, but the hooks are in English, but the fucking verses are in Korean.
Speaker 3: I'm like cool. And then I just pulled a ship up online, like now, what the fuck was he rapping about? Let me read about it.
Speaker 7: And all the same, like in terms of like just lyrically, they're talking about the same fucking aspirations to be better, and you don't buy it as much because your Korean. I don't think he came from the gutter the same as every fucking black rapper.
Speaker 3: But it's coming to me. Uh. I actually I like Sid's album.
Speaker 6: Yeah, me too.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, Why am I looking at Bill?
Speaker 6: Looking at Bill so quiet saying louder?
Speaker 3: I wasn't.
Speaker 4: I was trying to debate if it came out in twenty sixteen, seventeen, that was then Bill's sipping a lot of tea right now. So insecurities with my jam on net record. That shit was dope. I like the backgrounds on that joint for what it is. It's cool, but I still think Jack Davy should be where she is, A could have been a contender, has been so close to music for so long. Changed Yes, how you even just absorb a song? Yeah, we we ruined our palace.
Speaker 3: It's like I ate too much good food for too long, well, in some good ways, in some bad ways.
Speaker 4: I mean, I guess it's in the same way like if you're seeing a comic and like you see him killing it, you can appreciate him killing it, but on a deeper level.
Speaker 3: You see analyzing it exactly you analyze.
Speaker 4: So for me, when I hear a great record, I still I'm like, damn, this is dope, just you know, just instinctively I feel it.
Speaker 3: But then I'm listening like damn, how do they mix that vocal? Damn?
Speaker 4: Listen to how they did this. So it gives you a great appreciation of it. But on the other side of it, when you hear some bullshit, for me, it does the same thing. You know, you can see the tricks, you know what I mean, Like you can see here's how they around.
Speaker 3: Here's an example.
Speaker 4: So all right, who's millennial of Okay, let's take Playboard CARDI.
Speaker 3: Okay, now, no clue, no clue that is I know who he is. Like Magnolia was like.
Speaker 4: The reaction I get when I play Playboard CARDI is Magnolia. I'll put in context twenty five years ago. It was like when you heard the first four seconds of like Jay Ruse, come clean.
Speaker 3: Magnolia. So we okay, but it's just like.
Speaker 4: But even then, it's like for me, it's like again, it's the whole effective versus good. I played it so many times, and I guess the elation that I get from when I play the joint.
Speaker 3: I mean, have I been uh, what do you call Stockingham syndrome? Brainwashed? What you want to come out of here? This in New York? My thing is like I can't tell this apart from like fifteen of the songs. All that shit sounds the same. This ain't called No, this is not milliy rock magnolia. I didn't know my soft I didn't know myself.
Speaker 6: You got a rot with your mouth opere.
Speaker 3: No, that is my first time ever hearing. I was hoping for my last time too. No, I think it's like I just don't. I don't. I can't tell the part from fifteen other songs. It sounded just like it. Yeah, no, I did. So have we become our parents? Yes, y'all have it sounds that way? And what?
Speaker 4: But the thing is, all right, did our parents have a point when probably? Okay, I we need bus some them, all right?
Speaker 6: So when two live crews, no, no, no, no.
Speaker 3: No no, because my palate was way better than that, all right.
Speaker 4: When the night I heard the day that I brought Nacon millions by public, getem me, it was blasting, not living bass.
Speaker 3: Heads or my stereo system in my room, my dad was like, this is this is no, this is garbage. But you can understand what you say. Am I wrong for thinking that it was a work of art?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 3: But but then again, the millennials after me also think it's bulls.
Speaker 4: But to me, the difference between the two generations is that there aren't When you listen to Public Enemy acoustically, there weren't twelve other Enemy of the Public Tennessee.
Speaker 3: Enemy, Liberal Rhythm, the Renegade. But no, I think, and they would get called it.
Speaker 4: The fact that you just called them a bier you get called out for How dare you even try to sound similar? Now that's rewarded. No, because like in our era of hip, it was my style is better than yours. Now the mo o is, oh I can do your style too, There's no more, there is nothing there.
Speaker 3: Originality is not really rewarded.
Speaker 4: It's like, oh I can do this, I can do an R or it's on the radio stations because they won't play anything else.
Speaker 3: They don't want to think too hard. I'm shocked.
Speaker 4: Okay, I didn't think Pandora they're great, agree with any thing too, Like with the biers like back then, I mean with somebody like Public Enemy. I mean that ship requires skill to bite that, you know what I mean? It does not require skill. I mean if I want to make uh the gang or whatever I mean, and those records are what they are, But that's still very easily up. They're five minute beats, and the people that make them are proud of the fact that they're five minute beats. Yeah yeah, I mean the the the upper echelon of music. Any of you guys funk with uh? Come on, see Washington's the three hour jazz album that because Russ Russy forty minutes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he just put out another one. It's uh a new one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a new one. Differences something harmony different, Yeah, yeah, yeah, I listened to some of it.
Speaker 3: It's good. I fuck with it. But I really like the epic though, the three hour joint. I think I made it. Steve. Steve made them five hours, six hours. It's not just don't don't don't give me a copy?
Speaker 7: That what I what I've gained in like sitting with you all though, It's like, it's so interesting how if you're in a different prism of entertainment, like how for Bill, like music is too noisy, so you go to TV to escape. I feel like TV is too noisy, so I try to go to music.
Speaker 6: Because there's so many options that you mean, like, did you watch this watch.
Speaker 3: Already? Half ship? I gotta watch just on some research.
Speaker 4: So I'm already losing half of my attention span to there's less time alloted to even watch it that I want to enjoy, discover, and.
Speaker 6: Now you got to binge it and you can't just catch up on the one.
Speaker 3: We got the whole, which is the only advantage because then when I do get a moment, I want to see it. Give me all the punisher, let me.
Speaker 6: That's funny. I'm just on that in mind Hunter.
Speaker 3: I haven't. I haven't, I haven't checked funished yet. I'm waiting on Black Mirror.
Speaker 4: They got season, not the second season, the last season, the last one, the one from the last season, the sands you in apparel, that one, that one, That one was a good Black Mirror fucked me up because all that ship could kind of happen, all of it. It's like it's too close.
Speaker 3: Like this was the one where they were rating people that actually about to happen.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, fucking Bitcoin, mister Robots, Sorry.
Speaker 3: Mister rob Robot. Mister Robot still got to get on it. Man, And you did your post on faith then I got lost into it.
Speaker 6: Yeah it's good.
Speaker 4: I enjoyed, mister Robert, But you're saying that as a person on television. You don't see how awesome television is now. I see awesome television, but there is so much awesome television that I can't get to it all that some shows, I'm just straight up like, you know what, fuck it?
Speaker 3: I give you a perfect example. I love Arrow.
Speaker 4: I ain't no real superhero procedural, ass dude. I think most superhero procedurals it's just you just fucking cash in the check and you're gonna stream it.
Speaker 3: But see that's table I'm talking to. This is c W.
Speaker 4: Arrow.
Speaker 3: C W.
Speaker 4: I sucked around and missed a season and blink an Arrow is now six seasons.
Speaker 3: And the flash spun off of the Arrow and then legends of that.
Speaker 4: We're talking literally eighty episodes of fucking television across all titles, and I just I can't fucking fuck so I'm done with Arrow.
Speaker 3: Is there gonna be like a is it gonna bubble? It's gonna burst with television because there is a lot.
Speaker 4: There back of the day, like if you missed one episode of Dallas at Dynasty, like it wasn't an end of your world. Are you saying now that we have to be super completest and watch every episode of well, because a lot of well, back in the day, the story's storylines weren't always continuous, especially with like sitcoms and ship so I'm one always continuous and that was the way we watched it was different. You had to wait week the week.
Speaker 6: Now now you don't.
Speaker 8: And now it's funny because I'm like, meanwhile, on Netflix, you gotta watch Luke Case. Then you want to watch Jessica Jones, then you want to watch The Defenders, then watch.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and then you just go fucking I'm going to bed, Like you just just sit there, like I think there's three shows that I watch religious religiously, and then the rest of them is I'll just catch it.
Speaker 3: The other two god, well, broad City just ended? What is it? What was the other one? That's true? You watched Orange and New Black? I watched it.
Speaker 4: I stopped her the second season. Actually, I'm actually still watching Scandal, but that's all that's good network drama. I just I'm watching it because I just want to see how it ends.
Speaker 3: And this is a lot evil Olivia. I don't know if I don't know if I like it either, but I've stuck with it this long. I just that's how I.
Speaker 6: Feel that it might be the jump to Sharks season.
Speaker 3: No jumps show was seasons ago.
Speaker 4: Like, I'm amazed that they find new ways to make Stevie Wonder's song still newscandal like it. Look, I'm not trying to have Sean to Cindy the whole Illuminati after but I you know, man, the music clearance person is so for that and get away on that show? Man, It's like, I stop, how I get away with Murder? I didn't finish it was too I mean I watched. I'm not lying to you. I watched like forty shows.
Speaker 3: I don't know how. You know how people ask like, how do you have nineteen jobs? I'm amazed that.
Speaker 4: I'm actually keeping up actively with forty television shows.
Speaker 3: I don't know how you do that. I have to.
Speaker 4: Just traveling and just you know, I find time. But yeah, for some reason, I know that How to Get a Murder is quality TV. But it's just a wait, who said that?
Speaker 3: That was me?
Speaker 4: No, because I know a lot of people that are usually there into the Shonda world that aren't really into How to get Away with Murder?
Speaker 3: I never got into it.
Speaker 4: It's good there's some payoff there, but I I just think I don't have I don't have enough time for I traded. I traded in Murder for Queen Sugar and Green que Sugar Watch. I did some trade in and I watched Queen Sugar.
Speaker 3: Had to give up the numbers. I couldn't get into it, but see.
Speaker 4: That you should go go to Queen Sugar, like, give it five episodes. I think I think I got three episodes in then I stopped. If you have it, if it's a slow bill, you just like the season there?
Speaker 3: Okay, wait, the thing with the Wire. It took me like ten years to watch The Wire.
Speaker 7: You ever watched there. I've watched The Wire with someone who's watching it for the first time and I have to literally go, trust me, stick with Season two is the hardest thing season for anybody.
Speaker 6: That's the Europeans.
Speaker 4: And but that's the most important because in five that's how the don't get in the city, so you meet the Greek and the whole watch. But it's certain shows I like watching, even though I know it's junk food and I know and I can see the tricks from a mile away. The same with the fucking Audio ship. For me, my ship is Chicago Fire and lethal weapon.
Speaker 8: It is.
Speaker 3: You know what. After the first season, it was good fun basically shoot him up, catch the criminal. Whoo we almost died. Good episode critic, it's funny, it's fucking.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And I can't even think of new Riggs name, but he's a fucking great agree from Alabama.
Speaker 3: Riggs name like Riggs.
Speaker 4: He don't hit it with that Danny Glover base though he ain't. He ain't Danny Glover with it. But it honors the movie and it's I ain't. It ain't gonna never get nominated for an Emmy for writing, but it is a fun, solid show. It'll be on ten fucking years as long as they want to do.
Speaker 3: I know it was still on. I didn't. It's like come out like I stopped watching Empire. Like Empire, oh dog, I left after the Prince episode. Here's the thing. I love the first episode. I love your Family.
Speaker 7: But Empire is one of those shows where if you don't because it's a twenty episode drama and it's not procedural, so if you miss three episode, it's who is this nigga?
Speaker 3: And where? Yeah, my girlfriend watches Star, so I watched.
Speaker 6: I was scared to mention it was my girlfriend watching Star. I sit on the couch.
Speaker 3: That cool. I watched it, and then it'd be three fuckers. I'll be like, who the is that? Oh? She from Empire. This is a crossover episode.
Speaker 8: Half of a New Edition movie is cast on Star and you want to like support, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: And I watched the Ship and I'm just like, God, damn it, I want to follow, But I got this right. Back to Arrow forty episodes.
Speaker 6: Speaking of good TV twenty seventeen New Edition.
Speaker 3: Movie, Oh I love it. It was good. The best things Happened has changed. Shout out to Barry. I'm sorry. Here's the here's the downside to the New Edition. It has inspired a slew biopics that do not have the budget or the music clearances or the acting prowess with the talents of the people that pulled off the New Edition is on his way?
Speaker 6: What are you talking about, d H.
Speaker 3: We'll see. That's I'm excited. We'll see.
Speaker 6: So you like the TLS.
Speaker 3: You sit down with the Bobby Christina movie. When that come out, I was like, wait, there's a Bobbys Lifetime. No, it's t Yeah, I think it's somewhere.
Speaker 6: But the white though.
Speaker 3: It was the lifetime.
Speaker 6: One you like that, my girl?
Speaker 3: Which one was that?
Speaker 4: It was fine? Next time it was fine? Was it as good as the new edition? Fucking ya?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Was it as good as the new edition? Like this is?
Speaker 6: That was all? But that that was standard? Was new edition?
Speaker 3: Was new edition?
Speaker 7: Showed that there's a audience and retro the same reason we got all these retro nineties hip hop tours that are starting to bubble up and escape going back out. But I just feel like the stories need to be done properly and don't just rush me some bullshit to the screen because you know, listen, listen man. It was one of those movies I saw like I saw like all the people like trashing it, and I was like, and I walked in, like, damn, this is gonna be bad.
Speaker 3: So then I walked in my wife we saw it, and I was just we was watching, like, yo, this is because they trashed right.
Speaker 4: But but the next night I saw it was like two nights later, we was at home and straight out and came on HBO and we watched and it was just like, yeah, that was tracked. You haven't seen Trayla coming before. I mean, I hadn't seen it before, but respect, I was like, oh god, yeah, that ship was bad. It was it was the pop movie was like mister Robot, I like.
Speaker 3: Can I ask a question? Though? Oh good, no, no, no, no no. I was just gonna give a plug for Smith on show time. You know what everyone came for?
Speaker 4: Smells funny. Here's this step mother like, did you have single mom?
Speaker 3: Sing? Did he describe it to me as smelf? As a single one woman? Shameless? There you go? Just had.
Speaker 6: By herself?
Speaker 3: You watched I don't watch it.
Speaker 6: I watched every episode.
Speaker 3: I love.
Speaker 6: I love to see white people in situations like that.
Speaker 4: Broke white people struggle, struggling. It's like white people of Bruceter's.
Speaker 6: It's money almost the same way about.
Speaker 8: But you know what, the fact that they put back with Shameless look like damn white ladies winning.
Speaker 3: But that was wow. Oh Steve, you love television? Do you? I mean? You know me? I used to what do you right now? I'm watching the Crown? What's yeah?
Speaker 8: And uh?
Speaker 3: I like my guilty pleasure this year was Riverdale. I thought that, oh.
Speaker 4: That's one of my forty I watched on Netflix to catch up. Yeah, what's the show. Everybody's caping for the child is just.
Speaker 3: Like, listen, I have a question about the mayor. I got one, I got okay, the mayor.
Speaker 4: I have a question about the mayor because all the ratings are off the chain. It's but again, it's like Shyraq also got.
Speaker 3: An eighty five and rotten tomatoes. That shouldn't have.
Speaker 4: Happened, right, And I almost feel like when I saw Cyrat get a eighty five then I was like, Oh, you're afraid to You're you're afraid to criticize it.
Speaker 3: So Beau, give me a ten.
Speaker 4: Let's get out of here. Have we watched I'm still sticking.
Speaker 3: To the mayor.
Speaker 4: I'm sticking to the mayor because I'm a complete its. I'm gonna finish the season, right. They got like a three have you guys episode back in? Yeah, I finish, gona have it.
Speaker 3: Have you watched it? And he's gonna have it? No? No, no, the mayor. No, no, I watched the pilot. I watched the pilot and you're not aboard. No, not really, but you know, most pilots suck. Yeah I know that.
Speaker 4: I know that, and usually to me, it was it was just the PRIMI the premises didn't really it felt real eighties. It felt like it felt like wrapping Mayor. Yeah, I don't want to watch it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like didn't we see that with Kwime kirk Patrick didn't have I don't think I want to see that show.
Speaker 8: The show what they took the Kelsey Grammar show off. That was a really good show. It was called The Mayor on Stars. It was I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: Kelsey Grammar had another show besides Fray.
Speaker 6: It was called The Man. Yeah, he was the Mayor of Chicago. It was on Stars.
Speaker 3: The Boss. Yeah, I remember seeing that.
Speaker 7: I didn't watch It was a sinister It was like House of Cars, but like as a mayor before.
Speaker 6: House of Cars.
Speaker 3: Yeah, damn, you never watched You go deep sometimes, like these cuts are deep. The Ozarks was good too, that what's what's the deal with it? What's the deal with Like? What's it about? He only gets pulled into the dope game? Yeah, memo I couldn't like like walk White Killed.
Speaker 4: The whole sub genre of white Man goes into scary underworld with niggas like we bring yeah breaking Yeah, I'm good with.
Speaker 6: That, but it's a different industry. He's the one that looks like the money, hetches the money.
Speaker 3: It's the same. I mean he a drug dealer. Nonetheless, like.
Speaker 6: Steve, it's a good show.
Speaker 4: Since we're there, since I was such a stand for Breaking Bad, I got I'm struggling with Saul and I know everyone still it's still trending.
Speaker 3: Have you are you? Are you current on it? I'm on season two. I'm hanging on. Season two is tough. Season three is the better call? So that there's an episode? Was the episode the one you saying? Season two is like the Russian season of like That Bad.
Speaker 4: But yeah, but you're still on those lines. Yeah, I need some magic that happened season three. On season three, they start bringing you start seeing more a lot more Breaking Bad.
Speaker 3: String shows up. You know, you're actually introduced to the Saul Goodman.
Speaker 4: Character and you start seeing the how he falls into what he became and Breaking Bad and the way they wrote the art, the relationship between him and his brother.
Speaker 3: Yes, oh man, I forgot about it. That's string. That ship is hard, but you got just for that alone. You gotta watch that.
Speaker 4: I forgot what the name of the so then y'all know the one the court one court nigga, Oh god, yo.
Speaker 3: I think I'm back. My My surprise discovery this year was Gomora that ship. What's it's on? It's on? Does it come on Sundance? I think it comes on Sundance. So Gomorra is it's a it's a true story and it's based on like the crime, the Camorra crime family in Italy.
Speaker 4: So best way I can describe it, it's basically the Wire, but with no misbeats. Like so if a nigga does something in the opening and you be like damn, like this nigga deserve to die, like in the Wire, he wouldn't die to like episode nine, Gomora, that niggas dead in the next.
Speaker 3: Twenty minutes like that. Sh It's so is it a period?
Speaker 4: It takes place like in current day in Italy and so, and it's based on the book the name of the book is I think it's called It's on Sundance. But you can I think you can probably you know what it's on that flicks. The first two seasons are on Netflix and the more it's like super brutal, super violent, but like the story is just so fucking it's it's no way to beat. It's just boo boom boom bom bom bom boom, and like that shit is crazy. I watched it because it is it's subtitles, so I got into it. I was one day the guys were in my kitchen. They were doing some work in my kitchen and it was loud, noisy, so I couldn't watch nothing that I had to listen to me watch, Let me just watch. Yeah, man, Speaking of that whle, I didn't watch the latest Narcos.
Speaker 3: I enjoyed it. I enjoyed it. It was it was fine.
Speaker 7: I mean, we marry ourselves to the creator said that it's the story of Cocaine, not the story of Pablo. So the story of Cocaine continues beyond and to that whole point. About the British ship season three, I thought they I thought halfway through.
Speaker 3: They're gonna I see what they're doing. They said, this up it is season four. This dude, No, they fucking tied that ship up in a bow. Goddamn it.
Speaker 7: Season four is some whole new other ship that will eventually bring us up to l Chapel, like to the whole.
Speaker 3: So it's like as they follow it all. Speaking of TV shows about cocaine, did anybody watch snow Fall. Yes I did. I was kind of this one. Talk to me. It's John Singleton and he's telling the story cocaine in the eighties and how crack cocaine came to be.
Speaker 7: So that is an interesting backstory that I didn't know anything about. But it's three separate characters you're watching. You're watching three separate shows concurrently, and eventually by the finale, they show you how they all converge together.
Speaker 3: So it's one of them. You gotta stick with it.
Speaker 4: Because I was like, from gave a fu of two of the three storylines, the storylines I didn't give a fuck about.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to remember the three services. It was the Mexicans, the black Kid, you got the black Kid, Black.
Speaker 4: Kid, the Mexican wrestling niggas, and that's the third one, that's the nigga I give no fun about it.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, And that was when I was like, fuck you. But but it came together, didn't together.
Speaker 4: I didn't finish the season, so it was it's worth finishing. It comes together. But now let's see what season two now that we have them ultic I thought it would have been a better show if they would have just focused on the Black Kids and then see how watch it go out? You know what I'm saying, like to see Okay, you start here, but now I'm fucking with the Mexicans. Now it goes up to the c I A but trying to introduce all those stories at first, there's a lot of ship that I watched off the respect of the creators, and I go, all right, I respect your body of work. I'm gonna give you ten episodes and I'm gonna go ahead.
Speaker 10: And.
Speaker 3: Speaking of already, let's go to let's go to John's counterpart.
Speaker 4: She's got a bike, Lee, Okay, she's gotta. Now I have to say that I am torn. I'm torn. And it's like I'm at the fifty yard line and do I step to the to the right, make it fifty one forty nine or do I make it forty nine fifty one.
Speaker 3: So it's like.
Speaker 4: I've only seen two episodes, and a lot of that was mirroring the film, so I feel like I haven't seen it.
Speaker 3: You gotta.
Speaker 4: The thing is is like, do you know at the inception if you're going to like like I want to like it. So I'm already there, like all right, Spike, I want to like this. I don't think Spike Lee's method of storytelling is suited for episodic television.
Speaker 3: Okay, talk to me. That's it. That's a critique. That's it sounds like a sound what I thought it was.
Speaker 4: It's funny you said that. I kind of felt the opposite way. I thought that watching it all in one dose, I didn't do that, so you didn't. We watched it took them to the head. The thing I couldn't stop watching it. I watched that I like needed to break because it's just Spike Lee. So it's going to be a lot of in your face, over the head, you know type, you know, beating. But I can consider that like little breaks like the album covers and no, no, no, I'm talking about just like just just the way Spike Lee tells stories, like it's a lot of very obvious overt in your faces. This is me, Spike Lee. I have a message to tell you through these characters. These aren't real people. This is just me spotting my views that you you know. But that's kind of his whole complete But so that's what I'm saying. Spike Lee's method of storytelling, I don't think it's suited for we like to see, in a perfect world, how would we improve She's got to have.
Speaker 3: I think he's gonna have to get some younger writers in the room and let other people direct it. He directed every episode. He didn't he directed every episode, So I liked.
Speaker 4: I like that's the thing I feel like Spike, like Spike and the camera work is such a beautiful work of art.
Speaker 3: Like I'm used to it. His his his DPS. I mean it's not really his camera, yeah, but it's still his.
Speaker 8: All the things y'all say. When Spike has already left the building. You know, we interviewed him this year, Roy, Hey, how you doing.
Speaker 3: It was before we seen something. We talked about you you talked about she hate me and in his face. Yeah and yes, yeah, like we were semi critical.
Speaker 6: Don't know we were, we were you were good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm just saying that.
Speaker 4: Okay, So building like the album cover ideas, Yeah, I hated album as a musician.
Speaker 3: I love the idea. I just thought it was it was too distracting.
Speaker 4: And you didn't like the pedia, like super specific, like what the album cover is so blurry that you were like they didn't even use the right you like the.
Speaker 3: The straight when they compilation, I was they could have easily found like the I mean, they found every other image off of discock, so just grab you know, the twelve so I mean Bill.
Speaker 4: The first thing Bill was mad at was the fact that some of the PDFs that they used blurry or super blurry. I'm sure Netflix gave him a budget that he could have gotten account from whoever's doing you got somebody actually take the record they could have gotten too, like the Universal's B to B site and downloaded high quality images off the ship. Like this is Spike for next season that he should just have people holding someone with the car Quest Jazz video where they just hold like the.
Speaker 6: Cards or whatever, like Yo, can I ask you a question?
Speaker 3: You don't like those QT things? And Spike? Why? Bill? Why? No? It's just not it takes the viewer out of the story.
Speaker 6: Did y'all watch that, Spike? Did y'all.
Speaker 8: All were watching this? Did you feel like you needed to go back to the movie because I want to just kind of.
Speaker 3: I haven't seen the movie in a long time, and I'm scared to go back and watch. I don't want to go.
Speaker 8: Back to the movie because there were moments when I was like, wait a minute. I was looking at like the character Greer and I was like, wait a minute, grew was not that of naxious and kind of feminine.
Speaker 3: But he but he was kind of like he was a pretty boy.
Speaker 4: But this nigga Greer is like borderline gay, like like he could be right yea, I mean it go either way.
Speaker 3: Like I don't think he's good. I just think he'd just rather marry himself, like the narcissist original Green was a narcisst.
Speaker 4: But when it's taking in twenty seventeen, like that's narcissism, is is rewarded narcissism and social medium.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah. And that's the thing too with the problem I think he's gonna have with the show. I mean I loved it. I mean I thought it was I really enjoyed it. I hate it.
Speaker 4: I didn't hate it, Yeah, I enjoyed it. But I think the problem is going to be how do you make this relevant to now? Because in eighty eight it was like Noah thought of a Nola Darling was like, oh, this girl is everywhere. Now nigga, nig whole shit is rewarded. Now, that's just the way of life.
Speaker 3: And I'm not calling Nola Hope, but I'm just saying what.
Speaker 8: You call her right there, says I'm just saying that things haven't changed because she's not supposed to be.
Speaker 3: I didn't say nothing.
Speaker 4: About I still felt like I was watching uh an older conservatives view of what black feminism is. And you know, that's sort of the thing. And plus it's like with brilliant stuff like Atlanta, things competing with it, and y'all know how much I hate don Don Glover's music, but Atlanta's brilliant, and.
Speaker 3: It's like, that's the thing.
Speaker 4: It's like if I didn't see Atlanta and dear white people, and I'll you know, I still ride for Insecure.
Speaker 6: But I wrestled.
Speaker 8: You know, it's funny because I wrestled with the storyline, the part about the assault on the street, right Like, I had a moment myself where I went.
Speaker 6: He just grabbed her, what's the big deal? Why is she tripping? Why does she need to do all this stuff?
Speaker 4: I think he did that because he that's still him trying to tone from the rape scene.
Speaker 8: But I also had to, as a woman, and especially in the current climate, go, who am I to say that that's not acted right right, Like I had to have that whole moment with myself too, So I don't know, maybe when you're talking about like the way he.
Speaker 4: Kind of came over, it was kind of starling, like I probably would have had the same reaction. Yeah, yeah, because it was it wasn't wasn't it? Well no, no, no, I'm thinking of the guy that when she was putting up the posters and came.
Speaker 6: Up by this is the guy.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 8: First, but even in having that conversation with my mother after we both watched that scene, like my mom was kind of even like, I mean, you know, we would have just fought back, we would have did it.
Speaker 6: And I was like, you know, mommy, this is what it is.
Speaker 8: Culture is starting to end, and I think we're starting to witness that, like maybe the way we used to handle things is not the way that we're going.
Speaker 3: I don't think that's going I don't think we're gonna see that with black women though.
Speaker 8: I mean, I mean if white women do it first and they say, we can say go and then you know, we'll pick out the thing and we'll you.
Speaker 3: Know, we'll go, Am I only person in here that still loves power?
Speaker 6: No, I like Power. I love.
Speaker 3: I love the ship.
Speaker 4: It's a different type of black show to me because I know that there. I feel like black shows that are ruded are connected to reality. There's more of a it's like wine and you judge it the way you do wine, where Power is just fucking whiskey. Yeah, but if it's a blacks show, Atlanta insecure, we must pontificate on this is just a fucking dope boy who prosecute.
Speaker 8: Old because he got his sister killed, because he's a dumb motherfuckeriler.
Speaker 4: No spoiler alerts, spoiler I see it, but just for our listeners out there too late now. But okay, speaking of which, can we say? Can we say that Blackish is now the official.
Speaker 3: Black bull black people bullhorn. I try to figure out what what's more cultural important?
Speaker 4: And then and then I figure and then then I figured that, oh Cosby was the first, I guess the first uh not I'll say dog whistle of see we can be civilized or that that sort of thing. It was like, oh, well, that was the some of my best friends or black show. I mean, but because I grew up watching it, it means a lot to me emotionally and We've had many a guests on the show that says that, hey, the Huxtables were my family too, so I can't just totally dismiss it. But I mean there's never been a show like Blackish that is tackled like real what it means to be black and what it's like. First of all, are only black people watching Blackish? Like is this is this a water cooler moment?
Speaker 3: It's got It's plenty of white people watching that show be on the air. Yeah, I've been, I've been watching it. I mean, first of all, my kids watch Blackest, like my mom wat Yeah, my mom doesn't watch anything that isn't about Jesus, so I watch it with them.
Speaker 4: But like the thing I'm kind of starting to see in that, you know, first off, anytime a baby comes on the show, that's immediately kind of jumped struck moment. So I get kind of their name, Sam, the baby's name is Davante. Yeah, it was a whole episode about it. Okay, I missed that.
Speaker 6: I didn't because he wanted to keep it black.
Speaker 3: And keep it real black.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but it's like every show is kind of like Anthony Anderson is like the mouthpiece for like how you were saying, like his characters hot Spike's characters just feel like vehicles for his views and the Anderson's character it's kind of starting to feel like that. To me, it's like where he's the guy that's starting to feel too uh kind of pre common uh, Ernest, No, not proper down Earnest.
Speaker 3: It's to Ernest. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, very yeah. To me, it's kind of like that.
Speaker 7: I would have shunned the cosmic comparisons early on, but then as the show has progressed, it's definitely been that, even right down to Zoe.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, y'all. Shahiti spinoff Black.
Speaker 7: Different World, Like it's to show the black college experience of what it's like to be a black I don't know what from the previews, I assume she's at a white school and then she's a black person at a white school. Otherwise she's at the nicest goddamn black college.
Speaker 8: That i've.
Speaker 3: Some of them rooms. I'm like, that ain't no black college.
Speaker 4: But even now, and you're from you find the South like me, so you know black college is now is not what it used to be. I was from the family. I was furious, you motherfuckers got old as ship brou was ninety six to oh one.
Speaker 3: So you were there when COmON got arrested for theodoran no, I miss I missed Common two years when.
Speaker 4: He his freshman year. I think he got arrested for it steal Theodore. I thought, you like he was doing the.
Speaker 3: Show you no back when that nigga was an undergrad getting lot to tried out.
Speaker 6: He got out.
Speaker 3: Well, he only went for one year.
Speaker 4: But I think dead the story about well, let Common tell I thought that was comment. I thought that was in the press already.
Speaker 3: It was. Yeah, but yeah, I like, she's got to have it before we leave.
Speaker 10: Uh.
Speaker 3: What's our verdict on season two of of Insecure? I liked it.
Speaker 7: I enjoyed it. But what annoys me about Insecure is how some people receive it. So it's the only show in which I find some of the fans of the show annoying because people can't agree that both Lisa.
Speaker 3: And Lawrence are horrible. They're both horrible, thank you they are. They've both done irredeemable ship. It's almost like all up now as a member, Lawrence time, what did you do that was irredeemable? Tsha, there you go? How is that irredeemable. Well that's break up, no official breakup, that was a pre breakup breakup.
Speaker 4: I mean, you know he didn't you know, you went to the barbecue with the you know you don't want to take seriously, that's some dirty they don't. You don't behave as a boyfriend with somebody that you know, it's just pussy. And I don't think that that was irredeemable. I think that was him just being a human being, Like, that's just human being. He left that barbecue without saying goodbye.
Speaker 3: Right, Yes, that was fun. Yeah, yeah, he come back. It was his problem is that he was he was the proverbial nice guy like he wasn't. They don't know how.
Speaker 4: It was the nice that I'm putting in quotation marks a nice guy like you don't think.
Speaker 3: Okay, he wasn't the gangster lives, He wasn't in her building. But you know, it's the only show I watched that I won't talk with people about.
Speaker 7: I just know what's gonna it's started talking to a Trump motherfuckers that I can't change your mind about how you feel about.
Speaker 3: But I think that, But I think that's the mark of a great that much I don't know what what. I don't know how you have time to watch all this fucking television? What the fuck your work? Yeah? Sometimes you know.
Speaker 6: Which show is insecure?
Speaker 4: The one with only for black women la time. I don't think he was irritable. I think he was just a flawed person, like East flawed. And I like the way they brought the them having that.
Speaker 3: They deserve the end.
Speaker 7: They're so flued, they deserve each other and they earned a powerful fucking soul and his brother type moment of at the end, and.
Speaker 6: It is something for a woman who has a nurture nurtured India, and that he leave and he gets a better situation. There was like a whole there's layers in that, so.
Speaker 3: You feel so you're basically saying that it wasn't ship okay because you said he went to a better situation.
Speaker 8: No, I say, I say he was going to a better situation. I was talking about his professional career and ship like time.
Speaker 3: Out because that job didn't work out.
Speaker 4: Here's the thing, though, sometimes I I find problems with people that watch television that hate the characters so much that you don't acknowledge the fact that they pulled an emotional view now different. I don't spend time with people I don't like. But the thing is is that, uh wow, I mean no, no, no, There's there's some villains I cheer for, like like Power.
Speaker 3: Yeah a villain, I mean he was, but there were still you still like there were still things to like about, something redeemable in his choices. But the thing is is that there was still hold up, hold up and hold on. That's a Paul.
Speaker 10: Okay, you can understand, you can under irredeemable. Why you can understand the logic, but isn't the kid is dug.
Speaker 3: I'm just trying to my family.
Speaker 4: Look, I'm just again like if like most of the characters on Power, our villain our villains, and I kind of.
Speaker 3: I didn't like it. I don't think it'd be your cup. Yeah, already know it's he's a great actor. But that's the snake. Most rappers are rappers are. What I'm saying is that.
Speaker 4: I mean I can see if they pulled no emotions out of you, like say, uh no, I get what you're saying. Yeah, okay, say Jeff from Curby your enthusiasm, like he doesn't pull any rage out of me?
Speaker 3: Or I can't watch it's too uncomfortable.
Speaker 6: Oh, I love this season.
Speaker 3: I can't watch it ever I've seen it. I can't watch it. It's uncomfortable, uncomfortable.
Speaker 4: And loveby enthusiast, uncomfortable, like I watched the ship that Larry gets himself FROMTOHI late, I mean, but have to turn away.
Speaker 3: I can't watch it. Well, I was given a hypothetical thing. But what I'm saying is that it is.
Speaker 4: If you hate the characters so much, doesn't that mean that they did a good job at drawing you in? Maybe it means they did too good of a job. But like I said, you're still watching it, not anymore, you're not watching watch season three. No, I don't care. I don't care anymore. I'm still rhynd large.
Speaker 3: They get a season to fix it. If you didn't like it, that's always I gave him season two. That was it. Season two is season one? You're talking about Laurence Fishburn. No, we're done with so to that point quest I did.
Speaker 4: That's where like, wait side question before you make your point, Okay, And I'm gonna ask you, yes, you're representing all white people. Great, with the exception of the Cosby Show. Is the general feeling for black shows that are on television? And I know you're gonna be like, I don't watch the only watch three shows. But is the general feeling like with movies and black shows and black television whatever, black movies that, oh well, that's not for me.
Speaker 3: I don't you know. Do you see how television? Do you watch Fresh off the Boat? Yes? I do. I didn't watch First Off the Boat?
Speaker 6: Actually want to hear that answer?
Speaker 3: No? No, And I don't mean like to put you on. Do you feel that shows are just like this not gonna relate to you? So I'm coold with it.
Speaker 9: I guess it depends on the on the show, show, on the quality of the show, you know, like, because the thing is there's some I was tuning in back in the day to good times in the Jefferson's as much as you were Black show.
Speaker 3: Now, But I mean, I don't watch any Have you ever watched Blackish? No?
Speaker 4: No, I haven't watched The Cosby Show. Yeah, it is probably more important.
Speaker 6: Don't do that, don't do that, don't do that, don't do that, do that, don't do that.
Speaker 8: It wouldn't be no blackist if it wasent for no Cosby Show, So how could it be more important?
Speaker 6: I don't understand.
Speaker 4: That's what he was crazy, is that you have to like literally jump twenty years from one to the next and maybe you stop off at Martin for free seasons.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the whitest show.
Speaker 6: But when it comes to good jobs though, I mean, he was the elevator operator at the.
Speaker 3: End of the day. Okay, I'm not trying to say that sentence. But they're.
Speaker 9: I don't know, it's like, what's it seems like they're trying, Like I haven't seen a full episode, but from clips I've seen, it seems like they're trying too hard to be the New Cosby Show or the Cosby Show of today. Like it just seems like very transparent in that way, like Okay, we're going to try and get across this message.
Speaker 3: We're gonna try and you know, like it's very message message.
Speaker 6: You know that should be bombed. No, they make cartoons and stuff.
Speaker 4: We really know what Juneteenth was. If it weren't for that episode, we would know what Juneteenth was.
Speaker 3: No, it was. No. I can applaud what they're doing, and I mean, and I still again, it's a too earnest. It feels like it needs to be.
Speaker 4: Though maybe it needs to be. It's too earnest for us. Everything on that show isn't for us. It's pulling back the cursions.
Speaker 6: Wait.
Speaker 4: But the postpartum depression episode was a good example of you know something that I learned, you know what I mean? Like, I don't think she I never thought the day that Tracy Ellen's character was going to go off on Jennifer Jennifer's character and deal with postpartum depression and what I don't know.
Speaker 3: I'm just saying that a lot of.
Speaker 4: I find a lot with with with there's a lot of our secrets that we're afraid to let America.
Speaker 3: But what America know about what.
Speaker 7: I appreciate about Blackish as a program. And I don't know if they set out to do this every year when they break all the stories, but every episode.
Speaker 4: Isn't black any black blackness and black dog, black Afro pick black. Like there's some episodes where it's some very benign shit, it's just dressed for a holiday park, and then the next episode is the nod where he's trying to teach Junior how to nod it other black people. And it's subtle, but it's explained in a way where I think it's digestible for But I guess my bigger point is that, you know, for me, when critically acclaim ship comes out, like I'm looking at rotten tomatoes, I'm you know, I want to see what the most critically claimed shit is. But I almost feel like with white people sometimes it's almost like, well, they don't want to know about.
Speaker 6: They want to qualities, they don't want to know.
Speaker 4: I mean, That's what I'm saying, what's going on. But I mean, but we can say the same thing about that. Like for me, it's like it's certain white ship. It's just too white for me.
Speaker 8: Yeah, but we still know the different difference between that is. But we are very well burst in the white world. But that's because we have to be there, right, But that's regardless, we're burst.
Speaker 9: So I'm just saying, like they, what other show besides Blackish, you know, are there is an example of what you're talking about.
Speaker 7: I would say it's not a sitcom. It's unscripted but hood adjacent on Comedy Central with James Davis. So brother, it's a half hour in scripted show where he comes down and explaining to a particular concept like today, I'm gonna show you how black people fuck with golf. And so then he goes to a golf course in Inglewood and shows this young black golf prodigy who you probably would have never met in any other capacity, and then he talks to black men who fuck with golf and he just explains it because of Tiger Woods.
Speaker 4: Look at all of this shit that has happened. And if you read the reviews on Hood to Jason White people who wrote reviews of that show when it first premiered, it was all from a place of being.
Speaker 3: Voyeuristic about black culture. And I think that's part of what Blackish does for that viewership on ABC, because you can't sell no hardcore straight up on apologetic black man like I would love to see and we'll never know, but I would love to have seen what the pitch was for Insecure for a network. And I don't know where Easter Ray took the show before it landed on HBO, but I would just be curreus. I would love to just see some of them girls. You could be like, were just hanging out black girls, black girls. You know it's better, But how did these shows? You know?
Speaker 9: I brought up Good Times, Samford and Son, anything from the Times the muscle of normally okay. But my point is like, certainly that was a way for white people to see into the black world, So like, how are these shows even original?
Speaker 8: We didn't get to tell those stories as much. We were just acting in those stories. Sometimes they weren't our voice.
Speaker 3: Good Times.
Speaker 9: It sounds like there's a question mark what you're saying, because Good Times addressed like all the but I'm just.
Speaker 6: Saying at times we weren't that the helm of writing those things.
Speaker 4: So the difference is that now we're getting to tell our stories. That's that's just saying that's the difference.
Speaker 3: But I want to know. But it's like, so like if you see show like black, is it like it's for me?
Speaker 9: Or is it is that more blackish, more potent in showing us these things? Then I feel like, I mean, for God's sake, yeah, I think this is a different time.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna tell you.
Speaker 8: In my in my in my black communications class in college, we discussed like JJ and the the hypocrisy of like yeah, there's yeah, so yes, it is very different forty years ago and the way blacks were portraying the stories were told.
Speaker 6: I'm not saying no.
Speaker 3: Flavor.
Speaker 4: Flavor was needed for a public enemy to be more accepted. That's kind of role was in good times, Like the message was still.
Speaker 3: The sneaky.
Speaker 4: You weren't expecting you, but JJ was the distraction that pulled you in and then you learned the less.
Speaker 3: Well this is J like this. Yeah, that's right. Yeah, I forgot. Somebody told me he charges comedy clubs extra. Yeah, say dynamite.
Speaker 4: We wanted him to come on to say dynamite on the tonight show, and I believe he charges.
Speaker 3: I think it's rates fifty thousand dollars. Just say no one ever, Yeah, no one? Yeah, I mean why not?
Speaker 6: You do get paid for us? Get ready to I can't even finish it because I'm scared. I get soon.
Speaker 3: You're caping for JJ. But uh you know Colter, Yeah forgot, never hold on, that's really a thing. Google. Yeah, dude, google that couple's photo.
Speaker 6: Forgot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm good. Yeah, all right, we were gonna go in a circle. I forgot to tell about Jossy that story. Oh we have a story.
Speaker 7: It's a quick, simple you got time for jo all right, So bookmark whatever you're closing with. So we're talking about Jodasy earlier, and this is like the first time I ever saw what I consider real celebrity was Jodasy. Like I've never seen like fucking celebrity. And it's also why I feel like there haven't been a lot of like these black as many black entertainers getting caught up in the bullshit. And maybe it's just black women keep secrets or they just cut your ass out for grabbing.
Speaker 6: What is the jo.
Speaker 4: So I'm doing a comedy show in Valdosta, Georgia, and I'm doing a comedy show, comedy show Valdosta v A l d o s t A home of the Valdosta State University Glaziers.
Speaker 3: It's a city Augusta, where R. E. M. Is from.
Speaker 7: So we're sitting out front waiting for the club promoter to come pick us up, and limo pulls up and it's like twenty gorgeous women in the lobby and the limo pulls up, they all stand and they all come out into the little, you know, the little patio area in front of the hotel and me and the other comedian we're just watching this shit unfold.
Speaker 4: And some fucking sharp promoter. This is all going back to the to the whole wrangler. Who's the whole wrangler? So this dude comes up, he looks all the women up and down, and he just goes you you you it picks like six women and walks him into the limo. The other women just sit there kind of sad, but they don't leave, and I'm like, why don't you leave? You didn't get chosen.
Speaker 6: They get tagged in for later.
Speaker 3: So to that point, wow, how do you know this?
Speaker 6: Like, so we're watching something, So we're sitting there.
Speaker 3: Wait, can't plate Jonesy, why are you tell the story?
Speaker 4: So we're sitting there and these gorgeous women and I've just never seen a ship like this before.
Speaker 3: I'm like twenty too.
Speaker 7: And they walk into the fucking limo and through the lobby comes Casey and Jojo just all these niggas, diet shirt unbuttoned just for you know how I'm.
Speaker 3: R and B niggas.
Speaker 4: No chest yeah bird Joe at all, he did push a shirt un button and and they come walking through the lobby and just on some black man shit. They see me in at the community, go, what's going on?
Speaker 3: Fellas?
Speaker 4: We go what's up man? Yeah, yeah, things they getting the limo. The whole wrangler dude before he closes the door, leans his head inside the limo and goes, alright, ladies, just so y'all know, we all adults and we're gonna get into some adult shit in this limousine. If you ain't about no adult shit. Now it's the time to leave the limousine. And you see the girls that's waiting on the bench all take a half step to the limo waiting for one of them chicks to get out. Nobody fucking moved in the limo.
Speaker 3: Oh shit.
Speaker 4: And the fucking promoter whod wrangling nigga gets to the limo, closes the door, looks over at me and Henry kob and sitting on the bench, and just goes, one day, boys, one day.
Speaker 3: It just rolls up to yo, and immediately I have to go tell fifty dollars worth the jokes at a fucking pizza bar. Look, can we can we just we? Steve wants to go home? Can we? We always about to go around the table? Do something.
Speaker 6: Gave up on that up?
Speaker 3: So I want to go home?
Speaker 4: Tell us one great thing that happened in twenty seventeen, Memories, music, TV, whatever, Just this was a shitty year.
Speaker 6: It was a shitty year.
Speaker 3: What very? What nice? What was your cat video?
Speaker 8: Don't try to play me on what I'm gonna say, but I'm gonna just say this. It is real pop culture. Like it was a shitty year. But at least I got Sterling K.
Speaker 6: Brown.
Speaker 3: This is us.
Speaker 6: That's how I feel because.
Speaker 3: Okay, that was your cat video.
Speaker 4: Now I would like to assume what your answer was, Fante, but I will ask you who was your highlight of twenty seventeen.
Speaker 3: My light twenty seventeen, it was getting married. Man.
Speaker 4: Okay, what I'm saying now, what was your real answer? Okay, my real answer was Goodmora Season two, Nigga, Nigga, I'm not watching that. No, no, no, seriously, the way you describing uh, like she's got to have it in comparison to Atlanta and how it feels kind of Gomora is like that for the wire, Like you watched Gomora and then you look at the wire like, yeah, nigga, these young boys about to run your ass off the court.
Speaker 3: It's like it's like that I'm starting. I take that. I don't take that silim and and it's on Netflix.
Speaker 6: I feel like I should explain.
Speaker 3: But this is us, This is saving NBC.
Speaker 6: This, this is us in all his emotion speeches and and and being a strong black man with a strong black wife that both work on the same show together. And then his wife Collecchi that faith.
Speaker 3: He's married to the woman.
Speaker 8: He's married to the woman who plays kind of like, uh, the woman who took on him as a little kid on the show.
Speaker 3: And this is in real life.
Speaker 6: In real life, that's when he thinks her all the time. I would like to think, my beautiful black meant his wife on the show. I love her wife.
Speaker 3: He didn't have a good year, man, he didn't. We just skipped over the that was all the sexual.
Speaker 4: So that's the whole other show. So all right, Bill, best thing that happened? Yeah, anything I got okay. I moved out away from my cokehead alcoholic roommate and his weirdo friend.
Speaker 3: Damn that nig coke and nigga. How you do a stimulant and a depressant? He turned away? Was that even your stuff missing, no surprise. I need it for the rent.
Speaker 4: For though, like the two years I lived in that apartment. That was partially the reason why I hardly ever left.
Speaker 3: WHOA protect your ship? Damn. I mean there was my TV in the living room, my Mac media up there. You should have locked that ship up like a Motel six. But that love Colin on the back of the TV. Well, you can't take the co acxive cable y sue. That was the best thing to happening this year.
Speaker 9: I had a tough summer with the sciatica, but I'm doing good with the diabetes.
Speaker 3: Let's leave it at that. Damn. You know what's gonna be, sugar Steve Bill's not here Bill Sherman Center. So I think that's why.
Speaker 4: Scrolling through my photos because Apple, this album ll show you the moment you zoom out to like the year and your pictures of your you were like, oh you were. I was, That's what I should have been doing.
Speaker 3: Knee jerk.
Speaker 7: Starting to this is gonna sound fucked up, like I'm a horrible father, And I don't want you to think.
Speaker 4: I'm a horrible fither uh. Leaning into fatherhood a little more. He's nineteen months now, twelve.
Speaker 7: Right right now that he's fifteen, I figured, yeah, I mean that's a noise box. Yeah, and so this year he's like doing bills and ship and I'm like, okay, yeah, I can get with this ship.
Speaker 3: Motherfucker, repeated me. Yeah he's starting to get a personality. Yeah.
Speaker 7: I caught him in the pot. Well, like he was in the kitchen and pulled a pot out the cabin and had a spoon. It was like pretending to stir.
Speaker 3: I'm like, oh, I want to cook Okay, So yeah, I'd say that on some life ship like that was like dope, and like that's like having a kid is weird because it makes you focus more.
Speaker 7: Like I have less time now as a human being, but I'm more productive than I've ever been. And I don't know how that balances out. It's the whole quest love thirty job things.
Speaker 4: But yeah, because I realize you don't realize how much time you had until you have a kid, like less you like.
Speaker 3: Man, I got a I was just fucking around all the time.
Speaker 6: No more.
Speaker 3: You know what I did that was amazing. I cleaned up motherfucking shop, clean up shot like five people. Yes, well.
Speaker 6: Right now, I'm I mean.
Speaker 4: You have to sometimes, no, I mean a spring clean the fuckery out of your life.
Speaker 3: I did that on my birthday. You gotta do that?
Speaker 4: Wait, why are you looking all depressed? Like well, your gripes are legit?
Speaker 6: Somebody losing their job to be the high.
Speaker 4: Even two of them aren't on payroll. It's just like I literally cut people off, decided that I have done with this. Yeah, you want me to be happy, right?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Cutting people off was like the greatest thing I ever ever learned how to do. I think I might have gotten too addicted to it.
Speaker 3: Is one of them, of course, Okay, yeah, edit edit, no, no, no, no, I'm just that was my Oh nice one.
Speaker 6: I don't know what.
Speaker 7: How do you all firings? I got fired over Twitter? Oh wait, you got fired over I found out over Twitter that I was fired.
Speaker 3: What what was the job? Radio?
Speaker 7: Radio is one of the coldest firing They just fucking one day. You just get a call, Yeah, don't come here, no more? Like what yeah, just don't come here.
Speaker 8: You want to see through room in front of everybody? Is they going to get breakfast in the morning?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 7: I got I woke up to like twenty text messages talking about hey man, are you okay?
Speaker 3: What's going on? I get on Twitter?
Speaker 4: Trip on Twitter that morning and as we love Roy, we always miss We're gonna miss him and like somewhere in the bottom of the toller, No, this was terrestrial.
Speaker 7: This is ninety five seven. If you just google Roy with Junior fire, like the article is still there. I'm still reading the Birmingham News like.
Speaker 3: That morning on Twitter. I'm getting ready to get up, go to work, brush my teeth and I go, what the oh, I ain't got no job? All right, well, I guess I'm moving back to La Yo.
Speaker 6: Can I tell you the last the last radio job I got fired from. They got us.
Speaker 8: They was like, yo, we having a staff meeting, right, so everybody come to the staff meeting.
Speaker 6: Ready?
Speaker 3: Do you already know?
Speaker 6: You know envelopes?
Speaker 8: So we switching signals and changing the and you know it's a little bit of separate because it was a black on radio.
Speaker 3: Of course radio.
Speaker 7: The coldest man I fired to do this year over email and I've I've been told that I was an asshole for it.
Speaker 4: You know what that whole all right, y'all believe that whole face to face thing, dumping, dumping or firing, like, okay, do you believe in that whole like face to face it depends on how much time was invested in the will you but do you really respect it? It depends on how much time was invested in the over eight years. But they live in another city so that I could have done it's by phone. But my feelings as I started making the decision to fire this person was, no, You've had this entire time to get better and you did not. So the totality of our relationship has you've been you half asking it to me. That's more egregious emailing. Yes, yes, we workshop the relationship and therapy and all of that ship. And then when it came time to do it, I was like, man, fuck it, I ain't gonna waste some more time on this ship because I know if I call you it's gonna be a whole nother all that.
Speaker 3: Man, I mean, just send this email, clicks in, make it clean, and keep it moving.
Speaker 4: Wow, this has been an incredible, lengthy, lengthy two part Uh no, that's probably just one part. You're gonna serve it up straight. Yeah, ain't nobody gonna make it through this? They didn't skip ahead now it ain't it ain't twenty sixteen out the dope a little bit Jesus Christ. Please, let's cut it, well, everybody, let's cut it. Let's let's let's have let's just say that, uh you know, let's let's be happy that and grateful that we're still here and alive and yeah yeah man. And one last thing, sorry, before we leave, can we attempt to name everybody that was on the show in twenty seventeen to thank you?
Speaker 3: Yeah, just just to see what we can, just to see what we can do, ready, just.
Speaker 4: To recapitulate, capitulate, just to see if we can. Jimmy Jam, Jimmy Jam, Baby, Babby Face, The Emotions, Carmichael Saita, Garrett Roy roy As, Chris Rock and the Soul Training Search, Q Tip, Q.
Speaker 3: Tip Prodigy, Man in Peace, who else? Damn Peterson, Chiles Peterson, I can't even name one.
Speaker 4: God just Blaze, DJ Premier, Heather Hunter, Donny Simpson, Booty Collins.
Speaker 6: Sheila Stephen Hill.
Speaker 3: Where are you?
Speaker 4: I talked to him, I saw him the other He's doing stuff. He's still has juice. I'm getting, uh, not that y'all care, so, yes, exactly, Okay, Yeah, I'm getting the rest of my SO episodes. You know, my dad had a chance to buy into that buying the soldier like in the early days, like my dad hired Don Cornelia in Chicago.
Speaker 6: What oh my god.
Speaker 3: We never got to the story.
Speaker 4: All right, so you're gonna have to come back so we could have the official royal Wood episode because you were just here recap.
Speaker 3: This was fun, just kicken. I know that, But this was our year in recap episode, not the roy Wood. You saved my daddy's civil rights work ship for later. I tell you that I did that twelve years and I and I have questions about doing prink calls professionally, like how does that wait to the roy Wood junior in ten years?
Speaker 6: It's like two three services?
Speaker 3: Wow, but they fake him. I was a lunatic. You were doing was legit?
Speaker 7: Okay, you were a master? You were And I kept the wrolls in case anybody wanted ballenge me. I got like ten minute fucking any prank I've done, I got a ten minute fucking master for anybody who dare say that my ship was fake. Like, that's the one thing I'll get. It's the only thing I get. Question people questions, comments, Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's a lot of affection. Were you the one that did the roaches and chicken called that's a classic, man, come on, that's that was based on some real ship. A lady went to a hood seafood spot in Birmingham and she found roaches fried into the breading of the chicken. And I called her as the supervisor of the restaurant said, you line, because that roaches roaches ain't even that color.
Speaker 3: I wrote all that, Oh man, that it was funny. Look at Nigga'm trying to be professional about.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we gotta talk. We got to talk about that because I'll tell you how pranks connected with hip hop and how like so many fucking Southern mixtape niggas.
Speaker 3: Yes, really helped me.
Speaker 4: Out anyway, Uh we didn't think shout out Robin Thid as well, haven't anyway, And also Michael McDonald want to give a shout out to Alex and Tyler, who are our fearless editors who helped make the show.
Speaker 3: Shout out to Slits and James l are you and King Jane Yes anyway, Uh we will see you guys next year.
Speaker 4: And uh thank you Pan Like literally, we're not taking any time off. We'll be back next week. Well, I don't know if I'll be here.
Speaker 3: But you know, Jason, take that episode god willing.
Speaker 4: If I'm Bryan, yeah, any anyone else, I'm just doing credit g well.
Speaker 3: I mean we already hit up all those people. Just forgot to mention Alex and Tyler. East Coast ain't got love for doctor dres New Dog. You robbed your eyes when I said.
Speaker 8: East Coast because I'm thinking the Barns. But yes, okay, yeah, anyway, anyway, all.
Speaker 4: Right, yes, this is has been a two lengthy episode of of course, I forgot the name of my show, Quest Love Supreme.
Speaker 3: We will see you on the next go round.
Speaker 4: Hollo us up on Instagram and check out the mixed Supremium because we put our favorite songs of the year.
Speaker 3: Let's go, let's stop. What are we not professional? Anyway, Thank you very much, ladies and gentlemen. We'll see you on the next go round.
Speaker 1: Quest Love Supreme is a production of My Heart Radio. This classic episode was produced by the team at Pandora. For more podcasts from iHeart Radio, visit the iHeart Radio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.