Speaker 1: It was a simpler time. It's one more thing. Armstrong and Getty.
Speaker 2: One more thing. Before we get to how late-night TV has changed, latest Dolly Parton nugget, which I feel like I've had enough of, but New York City's Manhattan Borough has declared September 25th Dolly Parton Appreciation Day, I thought.
Speaker 1: The date is 925.
Speaker 3: 925.
Speaker 1: Touching.
Speaker 4: And jivey. That's clever.
Speaker 2: There you go.
Speaker 4: Geeks who celebrate every May the 4th tip their caps in admiration.
Speaker 1: Or March 14th, Pi Day.
Speaker 4: Oh, right. Right.
Speaker 1: Explain this to us, Michael.
Speaker 5: Well, every day I look for late night jokes for the show. And it's really hard to find stuff that is just plain humor. It's not political. It's just fun stuff. And everything is so dark now. And even the number one show, Gutfeld, it's just a dark show. I mean, it's funny, but it's dark humor.
Speaker 1: So you've dug up a couple of the dark Gutfeld jokes to make the point, and then you've got an old Leno and an old Letterman to show us. how times have changed. So let's go with that.
Speaker 6: Girl Scouts can now earn badges by learning about the pillars of Islam and visiting mosques. Well, the downside is they can now be stoned to death for failing to sell enough thin mints.
Speaker 7: Oh, that's dark.
Speaker 1: That is a dark joke. You would not have made that joke very many years ago.
Speaker 6: The British government revealed that over the past few years, at least 100 children under the age of 12 were forced into marriage. Authorities became suspicious when they noticed all brides were registered at Toys R Us.
Speaker 4: Doof. I get where he's going with that, but yeah, that's late night humor.
Speaker 1: Do we know what years these were? Leno had to be way back.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't have the years.
Speaker 1: Doesn't matter.
Speaker 7: At a Home Depot right here in West Covina, man grabbed a handsaw, tried to saw both his arms off. still couldn't get the attention of a salesperson. You know, it's amazing. That's a real story. A guy tried to saw both his arms off. After he saw one arm off, how do you get the other arm? I mean, I'm... That's pretty funny.
Speaker 4: I'm sure the guy got the one off and thought, oh, damn it.
Speaker 1: I did not think this through.
Speaker 7: It hadn't occurred to me. Well....
Speaker 1: Red lobster going out of business bankrupt yep here's how i found out cbs had.
Speaker 4: To move my retirement dinner.
Speaker 1: To olive garden right for whatever reason i get letterman old letterman's early like nbc letterman's in my algorithm on youtube and i'm a sucker for it that was such a good show back in the day and nothing political ever Mm-hmm. So good, though. So wacky.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I haven't gotten the force-fed those yet. Maybe I'll intentionally look for one, and that'll take care of me for the next 10 years or so.
Speaker 5: But it's the joy of the crowd. You know, the crowd is just so different.
Speaker 1: Well, people want to be angry. They want to be fed their point of view that they go to. You go to Gutfeld for a certain point of view to be fed to you, and you go to Jimmy Kimmel, for instance, or Colbert back when he was on.
Speaker 4: I was just going to say, a nice yin and yang would have been a Kimmel. blast at how stupid Republicans are or Trump or whatever, how racist and the crowd going crazy.
Speaker 3: Oh, so tiring.
Speaker 1: Will we come out of this? Surely, are people tired enough of this that we'll come out of it at some point?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 4: Maybe. Maybe not.
Speaker 6: All right.
Speaker 4: Yeah. All right. Does this need any introduction? Katie or Michael?
Speaker 5: Just a young woman created a song about dating with men and the problems that she runs into.
Speaker 4: Okay. All right.
Speaker 3: In a cafe on 23rd and 9th, I'm with a guy, 3rd gate, keep up, alright? Prior, he's like, come back to mine?
Speaker 1: Twice, he asked twice, this f * * * ing guy.
Speaker 3: Now don't get me wrong, he's got good qualities. He's doing very well in this economy, probably raised on proper ideologies, but is that enough?
Speaker 1: If I was desperate, probably.
Speaker 3: See, I don't want to sleep with him, with that face, who knows where the f * * * he's been.
Speaker 7: But it's not that, that's not the reason, and not because he thought that I was Indonesian.
Speaker 2: It's because I don't feel understood.
Speaker 3: And I think I should.
Speaker 1: Because sex should be good. So I ask about his childhood.
Speaker 2: Hmm, big mistake.
Speaker 1: Horrible headache. So her comment there, clever little thing. Her comment with a face like that, who knows where he's been, was that he's so good looking, I'll bet he's had a lot of sex with different people. Is that what that meant? That's kind of how I heard it. That's an interesting thing. You're so good looking, I'll bet you've had sex with a lot of people.
Speaker 7: Hmm.
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 1: I've never heard of that angle before.
Speaker 4: You may be overthinking this, dear. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Which is the key to the whole online dating thing, I'll tell you. That's why I got out. It's just I feel like everybody's so cynical and like just red flag heavy for things that in the normal world. would have come about later in the relationship and would have been fine. It's just, there's so many different weird things, partially because if you, you know, are above a certain level of looks, you got so many people lined up. You just, you just constantly toss this one aside, that one side, this one aside, I'll go out with them. Okay.
Speaker 4: Fine.
Speaker 1: It's not, it's not perfect. Nobody is, this isn't perfect. Throw that aside, go to the next one. It's just, it's, it's like her song there. It's just a whole bunch of reasons why I'll go to the next one. It's a weird world.
Speaker 4: Very weird. I wouldn't mind hearing more of that bit. It was fairly clever, and I liked it, and funny, and I'd like to know where she was heading. But we don't have that audio, so never mind.
Speaker 1: You wouldn't think you could do a stoning Girl Scouts joke and get away with it, but I like it.
Speaker 4: You know, as long as we're rolling audio, I want to hear this ordering fast food in 2026 thing. We didn't play that, did we? All right, let's listen.
Speaker 3: Okay, your total is $ 17. 38. That can't be right. I only ordered a cheeseburger combo. My mistake. I didn't hear you say combo. $ 23.
Speaker 7: 81.
Speaker 5: Oh.
Speaker 3: We do offer financing for any combo meal purchase.
Speaker 1: Oh, perfect.
Speaker 3: But what about your credit score?
Speaker 7: $ 4. 39.
Speaker 3: Not so perfect. Perhaps we can interest you in a hamburger with no ketchup. No, I need the combo. What if I get someone to co-sign?
Speaker 1: On a cheeseburger?
Speaker 3: No. What else am I supposed to do?
Speaker 1: Cash out your 401k?
Speaker 3: How do you think I used to pay for the chicken tender combos? Take out a HELOC on your home? I already did that for the chocolate shakes. Downgrade your car? I already downgraded to a PT Cruiser with 250,000 miles on it. Yeah, it's not possible to downgrade more than that.
Speaker 1: Affordability, Jack.
Speaker 4: That's the key word for the midterms.
Speaker 1: That's enough of that.
Speaker 5: Well, I guess that's it.