Speaker 1: Pushkin Positive psychology, The field that studies the science of happiness, has made a lot of progress in the last few decades, so much so that we've only been able to scratch the surface on all the cool studies out there. Even in the hundreds of episodes I've hosted in the five years of the show, we've spent time looking at the positive effects of treating yourself better and being kind to others, but we haven't talked as much about the happiness boost we can get from getting out of our comfort zones and taking on unfamiliar or even uncomfortable things. Some people seem to love pushing these boundaries, you know the type, someone who treks across an entire continent, sets up a wildlife sanctuary, patents some new invention, and drops everything to become a novelist. These people can seem larger than life, but they do exist, and one expert in well being science thinks we should pay more attention to them.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for having me on. Sorry, I'm just running.
Speaker 1: Out this stuff. Yeah, I really enjoyed the new book.
Speaker 2: Oh thank you.
Speaker 1: She gay Owishi teaches psychology at the University of Chicago, and he's argued that past measures of happiness have missed something really important, what he calls the psychologically rich life. What is psychological richness?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 1: She Gay explains this concept in his new book Life in Three Dimensions, How curiosity, exploration, and experience make a fuller, better life. She Gay's book explains that even if we can't all become globe trotting and ventor poets who hang out with movie stars, we can make some modest changes to mix up our lives a bit. So get ready to hear his strategies as she Gate teaches us how to live the richest life possible. She Gay first began thinking about psychological richness during about of mid career self reflection.
Speaker 2: I studied happiness since nineteen ninety five. At the time, there are very very few labs studying happiness, and we did all kinds of studies about happy what makes people happy. And in twenty fifteen, you know, at the time I already had ten ure. I was for professor at the University of Virginia, and it just hit me that, oh my gosh, I've been studying happiness for twenty years. You know, what do we learn and what was the biggest debate in the field, and I have to say I was really sort of sad to realize that we've been debating this which way is more important personal happiness, to make yourself happy, maybe even at the expense of others sometimes, or to make others happy, even at the expense of oneself. In the end, the result of this twenty years debate was like, of course both are important, happiness and the meeting, and I was like, wow, did I waste my twenty years pursuing this question? But then the next question came up. I'm not happy with my life and I was pretty happy with my wife and kids, and I found my life to be pretty mean for I mean, my social psyde class was very popular, I played baseball with my kids. I felt like I have some roles in the society. But then when I asked this question of if I'm happy and find my life to be meaningful, is it a complete life? And at that point I couldn't say yes. So when the semester started, I just ask students, what do you think if you have happiness and meaning is it a complete life? And a half of them were like, of course, don't be so greedy. I mean, like that that's a lot, but then the other half was like, yeah, maybe something is missing, and we started to look at those missing parts and also the reverse that somebody who doesn't feel their life is happy or meaningful, but maybe still leading good life. And in the end we were able to find a lot of examples of that, like Oliver Sacks Life or Anthony bou Ding. We decided to call this a psychological rich life. So my book is entitled Life in Three Dimensions. So we got the first dimension, which is happiness, and the second dimension, which is a meaningful life, and the third dimension, we think is a psychologically rich life. And essentially, even if you don't have happiness or meaning, perhaps there is a third good life. And if you have happiness and meaning, then richness will add something. And you got it all you lived in three dimensions. So that's the basic trends.
Speaker 1: I love that. And so in the book, you started with this comparison between your life and your dad's life. I don't know if you're comfortable sharing that story.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So my dad is nineteen years old. He was born and raised in this small town in southern island of Qusha. Like his father, grandfather, great grandfathers and all the ancestors. He essentially became a full time bomber when he was fifteen, and he lived his life in the same town, surrounded by the same people he grew up with. He got married when he was twenty seven. He still lived with my mom, and he loved life on the farm. He loves hot Springs, so he goes to Hot Springs with his wife and family friends and it's a really cozy life. And meanwhile, I was born to the same family obviously, so I was expected to take over the farm. But from early on I show no interest in farming. Indeed, I hated it. So I knew from early on I got to get out of here. As soon as I graduated from high school, I left my hometown for Tokyo, which is like seven hundred miles away, so very very few people from my high school went to Tokyo. So my dad and mom like, when they said, yeah, you can go to college, I think they were expecting me to stay in that region because there are a lot of good college there too, But just I left as far as I can, as quickly as I can. After graduating from college, I got my first job in Minnesota, moved to Virginia, moved to New York City, went back to Virginia, and moved again to Chicauggle. So you know, if my dad's life is life of stability, familiarity, tradition, probably my life is complete opposite, constant move, move, move, on the go. You know, sometimes I really feel like, wow, why did I do this? You know, like I could have just stay there, hubsake every night, chat with my old friends, And indeed, I think that's a good life. My dad doesn't have much regret, is very content, but yeah, it is very, very, very different.
Speaker 1: And so I love that story because it so nicely illustrates the sort of distinction of a psychologically rich life. But I want to start by unpacking the sort of first two ideas of my happiness and that we've sort of had so far. The first is this idea of happiness, maybe just going to give me a sense of what we mean by happiness, like or like scholars mean by this.
Speaker 2: Right, So we don't mean happiness by the just a mood, temporary mood, but it is really about whether you're happy about your life, how it's going, how it has turned out. So it's very similar to a sense of satisfaction with your life, and it turned out that a lot of factors that are associated with happiness are something to do with the stable life. So stable relationship is the number one predictor of happy life. So close relationship with your friend, family, mairit, or satisfaction a partner satisfaction is extremely important. And more and more, the financial securities and stability is very very important. So this is kind of interesting. Back in nineteen ninety five, correlation between household income and happiness a life satisfaction was like zero point one five, which is not that strong, But we looked at historically it last fifteen years or so from the nineteen seventy saves, and we see the correlation going up. So financial stability is very very important. That actually means that a lot of people are financially struggling, a lot of people have relationship issues, so happiness has become sort of out of reach for them. So that's another reason why I thought maybe there is another way to conceptualize a good life that doesn't rely on this sort of life of stabilities and comfort.
Speaker 1: You've also argued that we sometimes face what you've called the happiness trap. Yeah, that when we focus on certain aspects of happiness, we get it wrong. What are the parts of this happiness trap?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think happiness trap is particularly serient phenomenon in the United States. So when you ask Americans, what do you associate when you hear the word happiness, People often talk about success or reward for all hard work. So when you equate happiness with success, then when you're not happy, you're failing. And this is really unfortunate. And this is something as a cultural site was just I found very puzzling too. When I came to the United States. I asked frand how are you, and everybody say great. In Japan, when somebody said how are you, I say, okay, so so, and the conversation goes, yeah, me too. It's like we commiserate, and that's the cultural lam. So there is no pressure to be happy. Especially when you're not feeling happy, you can say I'm not happy. But in the state, especially college students, maybe elite college students in particular at your institution like Yale, I think there's a tremendous pressure to feel happy. And what I mean by happiness trap is that people think that because happiness is an indicator of success, I shouldn't be feeling these negative emotions, and that's the really the difficult and dangerous part of this trap. Stuff happens to everyone, right, that events happen to the good people, And when things happen, if you don't have this pressure to feel happy, you are just much more naturally accepting of this particular minor bump in the world, Whereas if you feel like you have to be perfect, you have to be successful, you have to be happy all the time, then you really ruminate these little failures, and rumination, of course, is the precursor to depression. So that's what I mean by happiness tramp.
Speaker 1: So that's just kind of solely going for this idea of happiness is or feeling good in your life doesn't work. But you've also argued that seeking meaning might not go as smoothly as we often assume, either, that there might be some challenges with seeking out a meaningful life too.
Speaker 2: What do you mean, Yeah, so any graduation speech you hear is like, be great, go out there and change the world. You guys are so smart, which is true, But when you think about somebody who changed the world, Martin Luther King, Junior Rosa Park Gandhi, Sure can I do that probably not. I think when we think about the meaningful life, we often think about somebody who made a huge difference, and I think that will set yourself up for the failure that you are not leading a meaningful life. So that's one part. But the other part is that if you look at the people who are actually reporting that they are leaning a meaningful life, they are not making that kind of differences. They're really focusing on their neighborhood, their churches and things that is small, and they can go to soup kitchen every Thursday and serve, and of course you do that over the years, then you make a difference in your communities, which has no bad consequences at all, just that the study sometimes find that the people who say their life is meaningful, they tend also to say that they endorsed right wing authoritarianism, not just a political conservatives. That type of right wing authoritarianism comes with a very small in group whom you take care very carefully, but sometimes show huge antagonism against the outgroup members. So when I say there is a meaning trap, one is that it seems so grand that it seems impossible to achieve. But the second one is actually we tend to go too narrow and focus on the wellbeing of the close others, but we often neglect outgroup members, so that could be potentially dangerous.
Speaker 1: So there's some danger in seeking out happiness. There's some danger in seeking out a life of meaning if you kind of get it wrong. One of the studies you point to, which I think is fun, is sort of asking subjects about the psychologically much life.
Speaker 2: So early on, when we just studied psychological richness research, we really wanted to see like what might be psychological rich event. So to a group of students, I ask, okay, what did you do over the weekend? What makes you happy? And then say things like, yeah, I went to my favorite restaurant. Yeah. Sure, going to a favorite restaurant, you know exactly what to order. That's the predictable, reliable joy and happiness. So I asked, then what was the meaningful event? And a lot of people said, oh, I went to church and he felt meaningful. And some said I helped out my friends who was just struggling writing a paper, which makes sense because making other people happy is an important part of the meaningful. So I asked, then, what was the events where you felt psychologically rich. What I mean by psychological rich here is that in my not have been happy event or meaningful event per se, but something different, something unusual, something novel. One person, Rachel said, there was this guy typing something half naked, and I've never seen a guy typing in public area, like shirtless. And the strange thing was it wasn't hard. He wasn't well built, so he wasn't showing off his upper body or anything, and that was kind of interesting. She said, Okay, so there was a novelty, but I thought that's not really rich. And then another person said, oh, I went to professional wrestling much, and she was so surprised that there are so many kids. And then later she learned the WWE does a lot of anti bulling campaign and for them these sort of ridiculous looking pro wrestler is actually genuinely their role model hero. And then she went through this up and down, you know, emotions and came back with a totally different view of professional wrestling. They thought that was sort of the working class thing to do, and they went and then they were really moved, and then there still a typical view of the pro wrestlers completely got shattered. So I thought Okay, this is not just a novel experience but pretty complex, a lot of different emotions, and also came back with a different perspective. So I think in order for some event to be psychologically rich, it has to be not just interesting, but it has to come with some kind of change and perspective change in particular. So the shressless guy is not really rich because it didn't change the way you view the world at all, whereas the latter case is really just wow, I didn't expect this, and I need to change my view about this.
Speaker 1: You kind of give me a definition of this sort of third way of experiencing life.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah. We define psychologically rich life as a life filled with diverse, interesting experiences, and that often comes with the change in perspective. So I often contrast with the materially rich life. Lots of cash, a lot of assets, a lot of things. That's the material richness. What about the psychological richness. It is all about accumulation of interesting experiences or stories that you can tell. So in your psycho bank, you have lots of interesting experiences and stories to tell to others, whereas if this person doesn't have that many interesting stories to tell, then even if their bank account is huge, maybe psychologically speaking, they're impublished.
Speaker 1: So how common is living a psychologically rich life? Fire call? You study this in a pretty clever way?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that was the questions. And if nobody these psychological rich life, what are we studying? So we were a little bit worried. So in one study we just decided to look at the New York Times obituariest Essentially, I love reading obitualies and obitually I think it's a really great summary of how somebody lived their lives. You know, New York Times always have three or four obitualies every day. So I hired three research assistants and their assignment was read New York Times obitually every day and then rate each person's life in terms of happiness, meaning and psychological richness. And they don't know what I'm trying to look at, I mean, blind to hypothesis. So in the end we figured out roughly there were thirty two percent essentially all the people who raided as somebody who led the happy life, another thirty two led meaningful life, and then the fifteen of them led psychological rich life. Some people that happy and the meaningful life, some people that happy and the psychological rich, and two of them got it all. They were raided as happy, meaningful, and the psychological rich life. So we did this in Charlesville local newspaper Daily Progress. The number of people who were raided to have let the rich life went down to about five percent, which could be due to like New York Times people are sort of very famous people, prominent people. They had more dramatic life than the ordinly Central Virginians maybe, But another possibility was that New York Times obitual is a lot more detailed, whereas the local one is very factual and small, So it could be just the information. So we need the third study in Singapore, and in Singapore something like thirty five percent of them were rated as leading psychological ridge life. But I'm pretty confident that non trivial number of people do lead cyclo sciar ridge life.
Speaker 1: If you're not currently among that non trivial number of people but want to live more richly, she Gay will guide you with his top tips right after the break Psychologists she Gay Owishi has argued that there's something many of us have missed in our quest to live a happier life. We need to find a bit more psychological richness. But what if you listened to the first part of this episode and thought, hey, my life isn't nearly as rich as it could be. What should you do about it?
Speaker 2: Personally, I think the best way is to find mind, the open friend, the friend who will bring you to new experiences. So I mention, if your friend is Samantha from Sex and the City, then you don't have to have an openness to experience. She would just drug you to interesting experiences. And if you're an agreeable person, then whenever your friends say, hey, Laurie, do you want to try these new restaurants? Do you want to go to hike? And you just say okay, and then you just try. You might not do it yourself, but you know, if somebody else says do it, you do it. But if you don't have friends like that, then I mean there are other options. For instance, I think the biggest one is be like. Playfulness is I think the huge part of leading a psychological ridge life. Actually, as an adult, I think it's quite hard to be playful. Playfulness you have to take a vacation from your obligations and responsibility of daily life, from social and economic reality. And that's when you can be playful and be the rich life.
Speaker 1: We also argue that playfulness can help us too in ways we don't expect. For example, you've argued that playfulness can help protect us from burnout. What are some studies that tell us.
Speaker 2: That, yeah, I mean, there is this amazing meta analysis about athletic performance among these super elite athletes. So we are talking about Olympic level athletes, and you know, some people start out pretty early and specialize in one sport, whereas other people play multiple sports before specializing. And the really interesting finding from there is that if you look at the junior level competitions, then the performance is really predicted by how early somebody specialized. But when you look at the final Olympic level competition performance, then it's people who play multiple sports and specialize later in life they do better. And this playfulness is that world class athlete who play some pickup games and some other sports for fun, I mean, those other people who tend not to burn out and tend to do better. And the crazy thing is that there is a replication in the scientific achievement as well. So highest German scientific award is Leibnitz Awards. And some of them went on to win Nobel Prize. So German researcher looked at the difference between eventual Nobel Prize winners versus Livelitz winners, and this is absolutely my favorite finding that Likelitz winners became full professor much earlier than the Nobel Prize winner, the Nobel Prize winners actually study multiple things before and so it took them much longer to get the full professorship, but eventually they made a major discovery. So I did a playfulness even in the professional arena is really important because you don't want to be two specialized too early. Keep your curiosity wide open because when you just specialize, what you're doing is okay, this information is irrelevant for me, so don't pay attention. Whereas if you are open, then you're just oh, that's kind of interesting, and sometimes you help.
Speaker 1: So that's kind of embracing playfulness. Your second tip, I think is very related is that we need to embrace serendipity and spontaneous Yeah. What do you mean by serendipity there?
Speaker 2: Yeah, So serendipity and the spontaneity I think is the springboard of interesting experiences and if you think about, like, all the interesting experiences you had, probably those are not the things you planned six months in advance. In graduate school, for instance, we don't have that many required courses, so we had a lot of time. So I would just stop by my lave made office. Let's go have coffee, and we talk something random and interesting and there is some discovery of certain things, so very interesting. And when I got a job at the University of Minnesota, I really wanted to do the same thing. So I knocked on the door Bob Krueger, fellow assistant professor, and I said, hey, Bob, do you have time for coffee, And then looked through his schedule and said, no, what about in two weeks we can all have this cup of coffee spontaneously. And that's what it means to be a professor. Bob became like so successful. He's very productive. I think he wrote already three hundred articles, so you see how that works. But at the same time, in terms of this spontaneous random conversations or experiences, when you just schedule and plan everything, you really are depriving from these random things to happen, random encountering, random conversation, random reading. So over scheduled life that we all live right now is really no great for psychological richness.
Speaker 1: This is something I work a lot about in my elite college students that I work with, because they want to overschedule everything. You know, it's from early in high school. They have already planned what job they want. Some students are like, well, I definitely want to get married by the time I'm twenty seven. Like they want to have everything planned out, and I really worry that they might be leaving some important aspects of their well being kind of uncared for. They haven't given themselves the space to try new things out exactly.
Speaker 2: That's the space and that I think that's the pressure. They feel like they have to succeed. They have to perform, and they have to perform at the highest level all the time. And it's like academic athletes almost like just practice, practice, practice every day, and I think that is really not healthy. You should really have plenty of time for play. College is the best time to be spontaneous. Once you go out of college, your friends don't live around the corner. Everybody is too busy to just have spontaneous meeting in outing.
Speaker 1: But you've argued that we really even as adults need to find more time to be able to define that. Any advice for how to build that serendividio, well, I think.
Speaker 2: You have to be a little bit pushy. Just text somebody and just accept a lot of rejections. You know they you do it, Okay, Next, it is really hard when everybody is so overbooked, but we should we should try to be spontaneous.
Speaker 1: So tip number three that you've talked a lot about is something that we've mentioned before on the Happiness Lab. If we want to live a psychologically rich life, we need to find more talk about how all plays into psychological richness.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think all is really this sense of your small and the world is so large and just sort of transcending kind of sense and then emerging between you and the nature or the arts, and a lot of esthetic experiences that we have when we go to a museum, when we go watch movies, read literatures and poems. It's not always all, but there is these esthetic experiences that is very different from our everyday life. So if you read Coslo Shigurus The Remains of the Day, then you transported into this world of British Lord Lord Darlington in Darlington Hall with butlers and the twenty some stuff members and you know, in the nineteen thirties and those kinds of immersions and the mental transportation I think is really really important because look at our lives, right, we are privileged to travel anywhere we want. But every day we get up, eat breakfast, usually just meet the same people, respond emails, et cetera, et cetera. So every day what we can experience firsthand is pretty limited. Whereas in a matter of one hour, if you read these novels or watch movie two hours or whatever, you can really experience somebody else's life and go through really dramatic emotional experiences icariously. So for the matter of a few hours, you often go through somebody's entire life. And the guy who owns this bookstore in Morocco said he read four thousand books, so he says he lived four thousand lives. And that's exactly how I feel about these esthetic experiences that really expand your horizons and allow you to go through and experience something that you can never maybe very hard to experience in person.
Speaker 1: And so that's kind of finding more all through aesthetic experiences in other people's lives. But your tip Moore before argues that we should also explore more ourselves, that we should be seeking out new experiences and doing more atypical things. Sure, any ideas for how to fit that in in a busy life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I think that if you have commute, then I think the change in your commute is really interesting way. I mean, if you're driving, just drive through different town, different neighborhood. If you're taking train, get off in between and explore. So I think there are a lot of things you can do to do new things, even if you're pifty packed in you know, schedules and I you know, try to enjoy, for instance, getting lost in a new town. You know, it's a little bit scary, but you know, I always tell myself, well, okay, eventually this will be a psychological rich experience. Of course, when you get lost, you worry, i'mous and soul forth. But most of the time you will work out. And those are things sort of like you let yourself go, go with a flow. Those attitudes and mindset helps a lot in terms of deviating from your routines and the schedules. And of course we cannot deviate all the time, but when there is a chance to be able to deviate. Just let yourself go and deviate. That's what I want anybody to do if possible.
Speaker 1: It's also a nice reminder of your final tip, which is that we can experience more psychological richness by turning adversity into a psychological rich experience, into a fun story.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Explain why our stories are more under our control, you.
Speaker 2: Know, because I grew up in Japan, and Japan, of course has a lot of natural disasters earthquake, tsunami and things like that. I studied happiness and wellbeing of these earthquake survivors, and my sabbatical in twenty thirteen, I spent one year in Kobe, Japan. That's where there was a huge earthquake in nineteen ninety five. Over six thousand people died. That was just devastating. And the sad finding was that in twenty eleven, even sixteen years after the earthquake, those Kobe residents who lost their house, we're still repoorting significantly lower level of life satisfaction. They report more physical symptoms, you know, pain than those Kobe residents who did not lose their house. So I thought that was really sad because we thought, you know, time heals everything, but this case, time did not heal everything. But then we looked at the value orientations of these earthquake survivor and we realized that the people who went through earthquake, they really become more pro social, autruistic. They don't care about their own accomplishment as much as other Japanese who did not experience earthquake. So definitely there's change. After all, when you are in earthquake, you really see a lot of things that you never imagined before. Neighbors who are not particularly friendly will come out and try to save you and save your dog, and you see a lot of different side of people. So those people survivors all talk about like sort of that regained sense of confidence in humanity even and I think that's the contributing fact to psychological richness. Even if the earthquake doesn't add to life satisfaction, obviously, that detract from life satisfactions and meaning is also very hard to gain from earthquake because this is a random act of the modern nature. So people often struggle to find the meaning after earthquake. But people have used this earthquake as a springboard for change and growth and learning and I think there are a lot of signs that some adversity could be a source for psychological rich life.
Speaker 1: Any suggestions for changing maybe some of our less than earthquake level adversity into psychologicality.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we ask college students just just think about all last year and what kind of traumatic event negative event happened, and did you learn anything from this traumatic event? Interestingly, this was random assignment, they later reported them. Yeah, actually trauma made them change the way they view the world and they view themselves. And the more perspective change they recorded, the higher level of psychloscovichiness they reported as well. And interestingly, the more perspective change they reported less happy day you can. So the perspective change is not great for happiness, but that tend to add psychoscurvichess. So it doesn't have to be a huge trauma in earthquake tsunami type situation. But even you know everyday failures and negative events, if you can construe something positive or something that you learned from the events, that could add the texture to your life and enrich your life.
Speaker 1: And it does seem like that texture isn't always psychologically positive. You've talked about even things like exploring and getting lost, or having an experience that maybe challenges you and maybe changes some of your assumptions. Right, it sounds like the big message of a psychologically rich life is like it might be a little hard than you expect, the rewards might be bigger than you expect.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, definitely. This is not something easy always and not always positive obviously. But I think the power of psychological rich life or that mindset to try to maximize richness, is that you're not afraid of negative emotions and negative events. Stuff happens, try to accept those, try to learn from it, and as long as you have that attitude, you don't get into these ruminations and depressions. And it is when you really try to be perfect and try to be super successful and always happy, that these little bumps really hurts you. So I am really trying to say that richness is not for everybody, for sure, But when you have richness mindset, I think you're less afraid of failures and negative events and so forth, and I think you become a little more adventurous and actually experience something that you wouldn't holp you would ever experience, and you know that really could change you and the course of your life. So I think uncertainty and unpredictability are part of life and we should embrace it. And to the extend that you embrace it, you're maximizing the possibility of adding the richness to your life.
Speaker 1: I think sometimes when people look at the possibility of making their life more exciting, exploring more getting curious, Honestly, some of the people I know feel trapped, right They feel incredibly busy. There's this whole host of obligations. It feels like they're kind of really comfortable in their life. It might feel scary to break out of it. Any advice for folks who might be having an experience like that or it feels really hard to go after some of these things that might make their life psychologically really.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I totally like get that, because by nature I really like familiarity too. But I think the one way if you are afraid of doing like completely brand new things, and I think one thing I can suggest is really stick with what you like. If you love beatles, you can keep listening to beatles, but try to find something new about the same song you are listening for all these years. And the same thing with the literature. If you love Missus Dorway, you can read like three times four times and you find always something new. So if you're afraid of trying something new, actually just going back to your favorite movie or favorite song and favorite bands and things like that, you can actually find in something new from the familiar. My favorite story here is I have been married with my wife for a long time. I've known for like twenty years, and around twenty ten I said we should buy some painting and then she goes, Okay, I can paint, and it's like what I didn't know that you can paint? And then boys, she can paint. She's just like pain, pain, pain. Now it's just full of her painting. So sometimes you just find something new from very familiar person. If you just have an opportunity to ask some new questions or chance to talk about some topic that you never talked about with the same old friends, you can actually enrich your life by digging deeper with your familiar objects some person as well. If you are afraid of sort of going all.
Speaker 1: The way out for more big and small steps towards leading a psychologically rich life, you should really check out Shegay's new book Life in three dimensions how curiosity, exploration, and experience make a fuller, better life. But let's recap the how to tips we've heard so far. Tip number one, find ways to be more playful. Take a little break from your responsibilities and try to cultivate a childlike curiosity and sense of fun. Tip number two, be more open to the random. It's comforting to schedule everything in life, but try to find more moments of serendipity. It could be as simple as stopping by the chat with a coworker. The third tip is to experience psychological richness by proxy. You can visit a faraway place, witness a natural wonder, or hear about some amazing people just by reading a book, looking at a painting, or watching a movie. Tip number four is to explore we can easily get in the habit of doing the same things day in, day out, so throw some variety into the mix, even if that's turning left out your front door instead of right. And Chigey's final tip is to see the richness in adversity. Putting yourself out there has its risks. There will be disappointments and setbacks, but those challenges ultimately add to our life story and help us grow. That's it for a psychologically rich life. But our how To season isn't over yet. Our next installment tackles what changes you should make to motivate and elevate the people around you. In short, we'll be exploring how to become an inspiring person. That's all. Next time on the Happiness Lab with me Doctor Laurie Santos