Speaker 1: Welcome to the Ravens Press Pass podcast. It is Thursday, December seventh, and the Ravens preparing for game coming up on Sunday. It gets the Los Angeles Rams as they get ready for that matchup. We had a chance today to talk with the coordinators, so let's kick things off as Special teams coordinator Chris Horton.
Speaker 2: Good to see everyone today. I hope everyone's doing well. We had a goodbye week. Our guys are back, we're working, are ready to get this thing going.
Speaker 3: Questions Chris, Obviously the weather predictions aren't very good this week, and how do you prepare the returners?
Speaker 4: I mean to go down the stadium, Like do you have them field wet punts?
Speaker 5: Like, how do you go about that?
Speaker 2: You know, it's just it's just one of those things that we're gonna have to trust, uh that our guys with their with their technique just just filling that ball. But from a from a snapper to you know, to hold standpoint. We there's ways we can work that, uh with my wedding the footballs and things like that, but it's a little bit harder to get that ball wet and then get it to the returners, right so well, it's just one of those things. If we utilize our fundamentals when filled in the ball, we're gonna be okay.
Speaker 6: I think your particular in a self scouting to a little bit of time or reflection that that's stood out to you, that you not as much as you could share about that for that they would take to advance going forward.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I think one of the biggest things I really looked at it. I just wanted to see, you know, what was called in some of these these punk coverage issues, you know, And I think it just went back to us just fully executing the fundamentals of that of that phase, you know, being in the right lanes, having the right leverages, and just guys going.
Speaker 4: Out and make the play.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 2: And that's that's really been the biggest thing for us right Other than that, I think there's opportunities of when we start getting again the weather's changing, we get some opportunities for the return game. Just being able to kind of maximize those opportunities and set our offense up with a good field position.
Speaker 4: Coach, Now that.
Speaker 7: We're kind of nearing the end of the season more than halfway.
Speaker 2: Through with Tyler Ott and the special teams unit with the field goal and Justin Tucker runs down.
Speaker 7: How would you say their chemistry.
Speaker 4: Has kind of progressed throughout the season.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's been good. When when Tyler got here, you know, they spent a lot of time really working hard getting Tyler caught up to what we do to our standards just from that snapping standpoint. But he's a veteran guy. He I think he understood. He snapped in his league for a long time. But as far as their chemistry between those three guys, they're doing a great job. Obviously, we you know, we've had some we've had some missed field goals, but those things are those things are technical things. Some of those things, hey you know that that fifty nine yard that's sixty one yard though, we look at those kicks. But other than that, I think these guys are These guys are doing a great job for us.
Speaker 8: Christ you feel you have it just maybe an abundance or a surpoorts of talent at special teams just because with the injuries, you got to call up some guys and some guys get left off just the game day off, like Jeff Ross as a guy that's really good that's a such a teams are we've seen, you know, just due to the depth chart issues, you can't quite get all those guys.
Speaker 4: You just feel the episode with felling at this point.
Speaker 2: You know, I kind of I kind of don't don't look into it that way, you know. Uh, you know, it's it's just I always looked at it as whoever's out there. Uh, those guys get an opportunity to go play. Man, let's go execute.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 2: They've been here long enough, they understand how we play, you know. Obviously, Uh, as those things happen, maybe the level of talent might drop off a little bit. But but those guys can still go out there and execute the way we played football. All right, It's the National Football League, And I tell him, you're here for a reason. Let's go play football.
Speaker 1: Special teams coordinator Chris Horton. Next up is offensive coordinator Todd Munkin.
Speaker 9: How would you assess where you guys are as an offense today?
Speaker 7: I think we've come a long way from the beginning of the year in terms of process, and we've been doing things better. You know, we still have a long ways to go, Like, you know, in terms of just being consistent but there's a lot of good I mean, there's a lot of things we are doing well. And uh, sometimes in the by ways you assess things, you got to be careful and not overreact because you do want to clean up some of the things that you think you have a chance to look at and get better at and assess where you're at, but remember some of the things you're really good at and kind of try to build on that. Wow, we didn't see lam out there's and give with like a sickness or an illness. I think that questions for coach arbon I don't it's not my place to speak on players that are aren't a practice.
Speaker 8: What goes into scheming against the Rams pass rush and Aaron Donald in particular.
Speaker 7: Sure, that's what a tremendous player, you know, you know, it's a challenge. I mean, just like every week in this league for a player of his caliber and the guys around him that have really picked up their play, you know, So it's a real challenge. They do a great job schematically, they're well coached, they play hard, they play well connected together, which is important, So it'll be a real challenge Sunday.
Speaker 5: How much can weather affect your game plan.
Speaker 7: Obviously ranger win in the forecast for some time. I think weather affects a number of things. But we're still you know, a decent amount of time out, you know, but obviously until you get there, you know, you know, again you're anticipating rain. You know that there's a chance you're going to get wins. So that would anticipate anticipate your you know, your game planning and certainly your play calling.
Speaker 6: How much is going against Justin Mattabek help you prepare for Aaron Donald? Do you feel like I feel so often I hear that cop because he's a young upcoming Aaron Donald who that helped this week.
Speaker 7: No, I think that's a good comp you know, I think from an internal player, you know, we've played a good number of edge guys, you know, for Miles Garrett Khalil Mack, you know t J.
Speaker 5: Watts.
Speaker 7: Seems like we've played against a good number of you know, edge guys, top end, you know, elite edge guys. And now we'll get a chance and they move him around third downs, you'll see Aaron on the edge and so again he's active a player and they've got a number of good players around him. I mean, that's for sure, so it's a real challenge, but going up against Justinus certainly a good comp.
Speaker 1: That was offensive coordinator Todd Monkin. We also talked with defensive coordinator Mike McDonald.
Speaker 4: How was the bye week Mike?
Speaker 8: Kind of were there any key takeaways that you took out of it that you feel like you can take into this next stretch?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think he was great.
Speaker 10: Number one, just kind of recouping and kind of recalibrating where we're at and where we want to go.
Speaker 4: Things that I talked about last time. We were able to get those things.
Speaker 10: And the good thing about this week is now, you know, as we're kind of introducing the rams and the things that they do, also through the lens of you know, our self scout findings with the guys, so good feedback on there, and as well, there's.
Speaker 6: A high level nag and Roland Humphrey possed back in the lineup.
Speaker 9: What's the act today and what's he give you guys as far as death and I'll playmaking ability?
Speaker 10: Yeah, I mean, you guys know Marlin and Marlin at his best is uh as good as they come. So I'm glad that he's feeling better, you know, and he's trying to get to people. But he looks good right now out there for sure.
Speaker 9: Mike, what do you think about the challenge of trying to contain the big plays in the passing game with the Rams? They do a lot of deep crosses and everybody talks about Pooka and Cooper cut but we know too Tuat well goes deep as well.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I mean that's the that's that's a million do our question right there is you know, how they marry their run in their past game with the actions and the movements on early downs is definitely a big challenge of what you're trying to take away at any given moment.
Speaker 4: So they do it's just as good as anybody in the league, and a.
Speaker 10: Lot of it looks the same with the guys, So a lot of a lot of it comes down to our communication, diagnosing the play, and then you know, obviously handling our responsibilities. But with the the formations that they create and staying in the same personnel is a little bit unique compared to a lot of teams that we've played this year.
Speaker 9: Is it a situation considering O'Dell's been with that team where maybe you guys talk to him about the way that they do things over the offensively.
Speaker 7: Not really.
Speaker 10: We haven't really talked to Odell about them and how they operate. Probably should, I guess, No, I haven't talked to him about what.
Speaker 2: A little bit about Puka and Coup.
Speaker 6: These guys that didn't have the measurables necessarily coming on you high round draft picks, and yet have.
Speaker 8: Come on and just been unbelievable in the NFL.
Speaker 6: What do you see as a you know, just comatic and I'm stilling them trying to deal with why are they excelled so well?
Speaker 10: Well, the things that pop off the screen to me that are unique to most teams is these guys do it all and so they have our respect. They throw the hat in there. In the run game, they basically use like an extension of tight ends. In the run game, all the formations are very condensed. Not all receivers are willing to do that and do it effectively. So they're able to do that. It's very unselfish of them, which speaks to their program and how they operate there. And then obviously in the past game, you know, they're able to get to the spots they need to get to I mean, I don't know how fast are going, but they look like, you know, they get to the right spots to me. And obviously, you know, great players and are able to finish plays and catching the ball in traffic.
Speaker 4: So definitely have our hands full with those two.
Speaker 11: Maybe this is putting the cart before the worce, but you know, John Harbaugh talked about how with the bye week, you guys have some time to you know, just focus on the rams, but do some of the advanced stuff and with connections, you know, with the Shannon an free and San Francisco coming up, Miami coming up, are you anyway we'll can't at this as a kind of witness test for.
Speaker 4: The stuff that is my head as well.
Speaker 10: You know, I wouldn't call it a litmus test because it's such a week to week thing and and it's hard to say, hey, we're going to do these things X amount of weeks from now just because the team changes and what you feel like you're good at is it's just kind of a constant evolution.
Speaker 4: However, it is good to know what's coming down the pike.
Speaker 10: And but I can I can assure you fast majority of our attentions is spent on the Rams last week for sure.
Speaker 1: That was DC Mike McDonald and into the locker room today. We also had a chance to talk with safety Cal Hamilton's having a great season. He's actually leading all AFC safeties when it comes to Pro Bowl voting. So it's been a great year for Kyle and he discussed that season and his expectations for Sunday's game.
Speaker 3: I mean, yeah, I've known Hookah, I mean of him since we were so we about that like all American game together stuff. But yeah, I mean he's coming to his own I don't know what ground he was drafted, whatever it was, it was, it wasn't early enough. And I mean he's doing a great job this season. He's we're watching film. He's doing a bunch all over the field, and all of them are they're pretty, uh, pretty versatile all over the place.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 3: Obviously Card went to school with him. It's one of my boys, and he's been going crazy this year too. So they provided a bunch of problems on their side of the ball, and it's gonna be a challenge, but I think we have the guys to do it.
Speaker 6: He looks like it almost with Hyro and they kind of go as well. Let's see when he was at the offense, it really just didn't kind of spuit a little bit with him there, they can do a lot more. How much is he the key?
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's he could do a bunch. He can pass pro if you need him too. He's obviously gonna run the ball and he's a great pass guy, try out of the backfield. And I mean, I've seen it since twenty nineteen. Both came in as freshman every dame and pretty much best friends the whole time there, So it's gonna be cool to go against him. We were texting earlier this week just talking about how far it's gonna.
Speaker 5: Be, stuff like that. We've been looking forward to it.
Speaker 3: But at the same time, Yeah, I gotta look at him as running back that were playing, scouting him, what he likes to do, what he doesn't like to do. And I feel like the defense as a whole has a good grasp with our game plan what we're gonna do. Go into it knowing him so well, does that give you an edge you think?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 3: Not really, I don't think. I mean, if anything, I think we're gonna go harder. Even let me where before because we know we're gonna have bragging rights in the group chat and.
Speaker 5: Stuff like that.
Speaker 3: So I mean, yeah, he's a great guy, great player. He's I'm glad to see him doing last year.
Speaker 6: Looks like it's gonna be all give his Sunday lots of rain, windy defensive guy that you're like, sign me up for that, or would you rather I feel Sonning in sixty five?
Speaker 5: No win.
Speaker 3: I mean it's easy to be like, that's football weather, but I mean I think football weather, it's seventy and sonny and not a cloud in the sky. But you know, from Georgia, so I'm not really used to the cold weather stuff, but once a Notre Dame kind of got grown out of that pretty quickly. But yeah, I mean it is what it is. And there's been rain games this year. We've all played in rain games, so it's just another element to it. But it's not gonna change a whole bunch by we do for you.
Speaker 7: What you would hope you feel the store.
Speaker 6: Do you feel like, all right, you got this five game stretching out of close things out?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, definitely.
Speaker 3: I think it's you know, at the end of the season when you see it by this week thirteen, you kind of like, all right, it's gonna be a bit of a grind to get to the buy. But now that we've gotten here to this point, we have a seem pretty good where we're at. It's awesome to have that little break going to the final stretch of this season, going to the playoffs and hopefully make a deep run. So you know, it just went home chilled for a little bit, just got football off my mind, and now risay to go.
Speaker 7: Back to it.
Speaker 4: Chris told us last week, he said, you know, don't let the baby pay school.
Speaker 11: Yeah, he'll rip your faceball.
Speaker 4: Where does that come from from?
Speaker 3: You?
Speaker 4: How do you flip that switch?
Speaker 3: I mean, I just shaved this morning whenever I had I mean, I can't really grow beer for real, but I mean, I guess I've always.
Speaker 4: Kind of had a baby face.
Speaker 3: And I've had people tell me since I got my haircut that looked like sixteen. So but yeah, I mean it's always been a thing. I blame it all my dad. He doesn't have a place for real, so that may be it. But yeah, I might be an advantage when somebody might think soft or something.
Speaker 4: I'd be more of the opposite, But where does the aggression from.
Speaker 3: I just can't be whole back, so my mother look like a baby. But yeah, I think it's really the only way to play, especially in this league.
Speaker 5: My position.
Speaker 3: You know, safety and nicole in the mix a lot, and you know guys are across the ball. They were gonna be quite in the same way. So I mean the match that if not exceeded every playing and I was just controlled aggressing at the end of the day and applying it when I need to, being cool and calling I need to at the same time. But yeah, it's definitely time and place for it.
Speaker 4: So the touch is will you do that to hiring us?
Speaker 3: I mean, when it's we're on the field, he's just running back with that boy. That's my boy obviously, but he's gonna be feeling somewhay.
Speaker 9: How those nickel blitzers have been very successful for you guys, whether it's you blitz and offer or that or Marlin, what's kind of your feeling when you were at that play being called you know, when you know you're the guy that's that's getting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, uh, you know, it's fun. It's I didn't blitz so much in college and in high school. It's just that's the only level that I've kind of been blitzing at. And it's funny, you know, go back, their only job you have is just go get a sack, go go to the quarterback. So it's it's kind of like I feel like it's kind of like pressing somebody in football and basketball, like hopefully make them nervous, like make a bad decision something like that, because when we disguise our blitzers really well, and it's kind of a surprising the quarterback when we do end up blitzing. So try to keep them on their toes and show our blitzers and get out of it and stuff like that. But as a nickel, I'm sure you guys are at the same thing.
Speaker 4: He'll tell you that it's on the secondary.
Speaker 5: He's played so well all year.
Speaker 9: But it's been kind of rare for you guys to have everyone healthy and back there.
Speaker 11: With Marcus and Marlon both Marlin already saying he's good to go this wee because.
Speaker 5: There's some excitement. You guys can still hit another.
Speaker 4: Level just because you've got so much depth, you have.
Speaker 5: So much fersatality back there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, definitely, I feel like it's uh, it's been kind of the theme this whole year, you know, guys in and out at all three levels and offense at the same time, you know, but I think it's just showing how deep we are. You know, guys come in and do a great job. Like you know, he's playing out a pro bowl level. And I mean obviously before the season, nobody was expecting to start, but I mean he was called upon and he delivered, So props to him, Props the other guys that stepped up as well, you know, like Ronald Darby. He's playing really well. At the same time, and you know, it sucks with Marlin and Marcus, like those guys went down with injuries stuff like that, but it just shows that Marcus is right here. But uh, I mean it shows how resilient we are as a defense to just hold her everything together like seed.
Speaker 5: To be you.
Speaker 3: At this point. Uh, yes, and no, I mean it's cool. At the same time, you know, it's we still got five games to go until the playoffs. Sorry, and that's when our our season starts. In my mind, you know, it's just one week's season going to the playoffs. But right now we've got to focus on finishing out the season. Uh, because realistically, I don't want to play in the Pro Bowl. I want to play Super Bow. So that's the mindset thing everybody here has. And it'll be cool to be nominated for it, for sure, and I'll be thankful if that does happen, but not the priority at this point.
Speaker 1: That was Kyle Hamilton. We also talked with veteran pass rusher to dave On Clowney.
Speaker 3: The fire that Kyle Hamilton plays with, the kind of passion, the physicality, what what stands out to you?
Speaker 4: Does that stand out to you about him?
Speaker 5: Of course every guys plays like it's hair on fire. He all over the field, you know, sideline, the sideline M I love it. I love playing with him because of the way he play the game and he physical you run up and hit you, he can cover, you can do it just about anything out there. And UH, just like playing with a player like that.
Speaker 1: DONI how long boy is it gonna be? You get pressure on Stafford for this game? Uh?
Speaker 5: It's very important. Uh. I feel like that's the Uh. Every week we play in a game, it's important to get pressure on the quarterback. Uh. We take part in that up front and uh, we just gonna try to do what we can do up front and get after of him.
Speaker 3: So cause you have, you've had a lot of good seasons in the NFL, do you It's do you feel like this one what.
Speaker 4: You've accomplished when you still can accomplish as the Babels to be one of your more verable ones.
Speaker 5: I mean, I hope. So it's just it's early, too early to tell. Uh, got a lot of season left, playoffs around the corner. Uh. I just wanna continue to play and to continue to be out there. That's my goal is just to play in every game. And and uh, if I said if I do that, I I know I was gonna have a great series. So I just wanna continue to be out there on the field and being available for my teammates and my coaches. So I'm I'm working on that right now.
Speaker 4: Why do you fish such a good fit for you at work? Both from anjoyment standpoint and.
Speaker 5: The production stadywhere ah it's comfortable and Mike put us in great positions to make plays and the guy know what they doing out there and lining us up. So you got a coach like that and called the bass pump the ball and give us an extra time to get there. And uh, we been making plays up front. And uh that's how you can aks for playing on Uh with a defensive line like this and a a great linebacker court to.
Speaker 4: Build to build on that.
Speaker 6: Why do you think that the four guys they added later, you you, Darby Mollett and uh and Kyle have kind of been the perfect finishing touches for this defense.
Speaker 5: Well, huh, you know, I can't tell you the answer. That all I know is I couldn't work every day and prepare and uh try to do it the aksing me and go out there and execute the game playing doing a at the end of the week and hopefully come out of dub That's all I can do.
Speaker 11: Do you feel physically at this point of the year and the five week we do pretty good?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 5: I feel pretty good. Uh. I wish we wouldn't have no buy. I wish we would have kept that thing roll and uh uh I was just in the groove and you know you got to stop me then start back up. But uh, I feel pretty good. I'm looking forward to this game and get back out there and get going.
Speaker 2: So do you the talk about your relentless relentlessless out there.
Speaker 5: Wh where do you think? Where?
Speaker 4: How how difficult is that to have it every s you know, try to do it every single time round.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 5: Like I said, we got a great group that rotates. So when I get my opportunities to go out there, I tr I try not to get tired and just give everything I got and just put my foot on the gas of a many players to aksed me play in a row? I how many time them be out there in the game. And Uh, I just try to take advantage of my opportunities, you know. Uh So that's basically what I go out there and do. I said, I might not have nobody five or six in a row or whatever, but while I'm my head then it go crazy. I go balls to the wall so I can try to make a play. So that's what I be doing. Uh. They hoping the.
Speaker 11: Chuck Chuck Smith said that only Lamar Jackson has had a more pressure on him, uh over the course of his career compared to you.
Speaker 4: Just what's it been like having that kind of pressure and how do you enjoy it?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 5: I feel like I put that on myself for the pressure on myself after the season I had last year, I got hurt at the beginning of that season, didn't say anything and played in Cleveland. What kind of a bad elbow for the whole season and uh, and it ain't turn out like I wanted to after the year I had the first year I was there with nine sacks, turn around and had that bad year. So I came in this season with like, I just wanna be available and be healthy through these games. Let me go out here and try to, you know, dominate like I know I can, and I'll put a lot of pressure on myself and take pride in it. So I know people kept me out cause I'm thirty or whatever they wanna say. But I just go out there and play, play my game and and give you what I got.
Speaker 8: Is it if it gets out like crass cause I'm sis your or the only golden season was to ever play every game and and remain healthy.
Speaker 4: Just what's been the practice of.
Speaker 10: Of working on that?
Speaker 5: I uh, uh like this team and uh Coach Harball do a good job taking care of the guys out there during the week, and the ain't too much. It's just enough to get to work in and just get us prepared for the game and he do a really good job of that double digit sacks in the season. That is that important for you? Of course? Probably more right at this point. I want more just being Hongry right now. For me, it's still key and I've got a lot of football left. Like I say, five regular season game. I just want to go out there and be great for my teammates and my coaches.
Speaker 1: That was your Davion kline. You're listening to the Ravens Press Past podcast. If you want more to get ready for this game, head over to the Lounge podcast feed. We actually sat down with running back Keaton Mitchell this week. Really interesting conversation with him about his journey here to Baltimore, his dad, who of course played here and won a Super Bowl back in two thousand. It was a great discussion, so you can check that out wherever you get your podcast. Just hit the subscribe button to the Press Pass feed and to the Lounge feed as well. Make sure you leave a rating and a review. Thanks for listening.
Speaker 4: We'll be back with you tomorrow.