Speaker 1: You're listening to I Choose Me with Jenny Girl.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to I Choose Me. Okay, Danielle, we have had a really truly beautiful conversation about reinvention and choosing ourselves and saying no. But we both grew up in the nineties onto of the you know, arguably biggest shows on TV. So we cannot really go and not talk about the nineties, right, We got to give it some love. So we both agree that now that we've rewatched our shows, we love them. Yes, we have a new appreciation and we love all of our great memories. So nine O two one zero and Boy Meets World, okay, great, best relationship on the show from your show.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 4: That's tough because everyone's gonna say Corian Tapanga because people think of orient to Panga as being the quintessential relationship of the show.
Speaker 3: But then there's also Sean and Angela, who had an off.
Speaker 4: And on relationship but also very beautiful and they deeply loved each other and cared about each other.
Speaker 3: And then there's Corey and Sean.
Speaker 4: Who had like the friendship to just be the pinnacle of male friendships.
Speaker 3: And then there's Amy and Allen the parents on the show Who.
Speaker 4: Those first five seasons had some of the best marriage content for adult actors on a sitcom I've ever seen.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna you want me to guess what I think.
Speaker 4: People thought or people said, Is that right?
Speaker 3: My opinion?
Speaker 1: I think what your opinion is, Okay.
Speaker 4: My opinion is that Amy and Allan have the is the best couple. The parents they had those first several seasons where you really get to see them talk it out. It's the first time I've ever seen on TV parents saying, we don't know what we're doing, but we have to make a decision about this. What do we do now? This is the And it's like, as a kid, You're like, parents don't.
Speaker 3: Know what they're doing.
Speaker 4: What do you mean you think all adults just know how to do everything, that there's some rule book and like they just know. Then you realize you get to be a parent yourself, and you go, oh, none of.
Speaker 3: Us have any idea.
Speaker 4: We have to make it up as we go along based on our upbringing, our thoughts, our hands. And now you're in a relationship, like what you want to do too? I have to take that into consideration.
Speaker 1: You are killing me. I love that.
Speaker 2: I love that giving the parents on the show credit because they often just get overlooked.
Speaker 3: You exactly, No, not these parents, no about you.
Speaker 1: What was on our show?
Speaker 2: On our show, I think the parents definitely got overlooked, they got underwritten. But there were so many teens to you know, storylines the surface, so I would have to say, oh, my gosh, best relationship, I don't know, I just don't know.
Speaker 1: I think all of the relationship were.
Speaker 2: Tested time again influential on your character.
Speaker 4: Which relationship do you think impacted your character the most?
Speaker 2: I think her relationship with Dylan, Yeah, because he really saw her in a different way than other guys had ever seen her, and he made her feel like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe you are a little damaged.
Speaker 2: But it's okay because we're all a little damaged, and so it made her less shameful of her history.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I think that it all.
Speaker 2: What is a lesson learned from that time from that show?
Speaker 4: Well, everyone knows the famous quote that ends the show, which is dream try and do good and one of the which is definitely what you could say overall, one of the lessons of Boy Meets World is is this you know that's a longstanding belief that we can all go out in the world and believe, you know, dream, try and do good. But one of my favorite moments is when they talk about that you don't have to be blood to be family, which is a really important theme on Boy Meets World because Sean Ryder Strong's character doesn't have a stable family life, and he takes Corey's family on is kind of like his surrogate family, and Corey is the closest thing he has to a brother, even though he has real brothers. And so that idea that your family is only the people that share your that share.
Speaker 3: Blood with you.
Speaker 4: Picking chosen family is something that's important in my life as well. And so I would say a lesson learned is that you know, especially as you get older, you are in control of the people you spend your time with. Outside of work, you don't get to choose all your coworkers, but in your personal life, who you give your time, energy and attention to is entirely up to you, and you shouldn't in any way be forced to spend that time, effort, and energy on someone who is not your chosen family. And so you know you can choose your blood family, and you can choose people that aren't blood family.
Speaker 3: I love that lesson.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's great. I think that's important. I mean it's hard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, relationships can be difficult, and it can be hard to disappoint people when you're not it's not a reciprocal feeling or you know, those kinds of things I would have to say from nine or two and zero, I think that the thing that comes to my mind is these characters were growing up and making mistakes along the way and even into young adulthood, as they should be, like making mistakes and learning from their mistakes, and I think that it taught especially. I mean it's kind of comedic as the amount of things they put my character through Kelly, but it's kind of interesting that she survived at all, Like she always rose from the ashes, and that kind of instilled in me the knowledge that I could always survive anything, even you know, there were moments when I didn't really remember that. But when you know the pedal gets to the metal, you know that you can handle anything. And I think I learned a lot about that from Kelly Taylor.
Speaker 3: That is so that's very smart.
Speaker 4: That's very inspiring too, because like I, Dapanga didn't really I mean, I think the biggest ship Topanga went through was one when Corey cheated on her and lied to her and then they show oh yes, of course, I don't know, it's so sad, but and then when her parents got divorced. But otherwise Tapega always kind of like had it together. But the Sean character was the one that, like, no matter what life threw at him, he was always gonna come out on top, even if you know, he, like you said, forgot sometimes along the way. What he was capable of in the end he would always be reminded was because.
Speaker 2: Both shows, I feel like, empowered a lot of people, a lot of That's why the fans are so loyal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they stuck with They have stuck with.
Speaker 2: Both you and me through you know, the entirety of our careers thus far.
Speaker 3: Exactly.
Speaker 1: They're just so supportive because they really connected with our characters.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 2: Okay, next round, this is called who Wore It? I'm going to name a nineties fashion trend and you just say if you wore it? And I think this is going to be fun to talk about. Okay, So chokers, you know, the stretchy tattoo chokers.
Speaker 4: Oh, yeah, hello, I mean absolutely, Tapega definitely wore that. But I also feel like that's got to be a Kelly thing.
Speaker 2: I think it was at every One again, another rite of passage just.
Speaker 1: To be in the nineties.
Speaker 4: Topanga's was very The one specifically that I remember for Tepega is very famous because it's from the Donut in the Sky dance that I do. I do. I did an interpretive dance that I got to choreograph on my own.
Speaker 3: And I have a big blue flower choker necklace on.
Speaker 4: I'm wearing like a white lace dress and I have a blue flower.
Speaker 2: Oh, a statement choker, A statement choker, Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: Level.
Speaker 4: I also had bangs and I have I have a two head and I have no neck.
Speaker 3: So the fact that anyone was like, like, you.
Speaker 4: Know, what we should do is put big round brush bangs on that tiny forehead and then see how short her neck is.
Speaker 3: I think we should accentuate it.
Speaker 1: By putting one's eyes to that's right there. Your neck is beautiful.
Speaker 3: Thank you?
Speaker 1: Okay? Overalls.
Speaker 2: Oh, and you get a bonus if you you wore them with like one side down. You know, I don't not, Yeah, like when you don't clasp both thingies.
Speaker 3: Oh I love that.
Speaker 1: I do love that look.
Speaker 4: I feel like I've seen you in a picture like that with your get with them rolled up.
Speaker 3: Are they pegged too?
Speaker 1: Probably? I am such a fan of the peg.
Speaker 3: Oh yes, it's so cute on it. I can picture it. Think.
Speaker 4: I think you may even have a choker on in that picture.
Speaker 2: I've got all the things I still love, like when it's like gardening day to just throw on a ginormous.
Speaker 1: Pair of overalls.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that you can just get in the dirt in and not have to worry about it.
Speaker 3: An I'm not worrying about it. I know I do, and I do love overalls. But Pega did not wear with them.
Speaker 2: No, I mean I love overall so much. I made some for my for me by Jenny Garth. I was like, I have to do overalls because.
Speaker 3: I have to.
Speaker 1: I just love them.
Speaker 3: I love that you called it gardening day, attire. I love that. I need to.
Speaker 4: I need to come over and learn from you for gardening because I have the I have whatever the opposite of a green thumb is.
Speaker 2: Oh gosh, I don't know if I'm the person to help you. I I'm pretty good with house plants. I'm just starting my garden, so.
Speaker 1: I'll have to like, that's TBD if I'm putting.
Speaker 2: Pattern, all right, let me know. Okay, we did the scrunchies for sure. Oh I still do the scrunchies.
Speaker 1: Do you like a satin scrunchy or a velvet scrunchy and you got the hair scrunchy like you need a little grunchy.
Speaker 4: I think it's I think there. I think they don't leave as many dents. I know, the satin ones you'd think also don't leave dents.
Speaker 1: But there's something.
Speaker 4: About the way the the elastic inside the satin I feel like just touches your hair more like the.
Speaker 3: Satin is thinner than the velvet. I don't know. I feel it gives a buffer.
Speaker 2: You know what I got this one? This is a big scrunchy that dries your hair.
Speaker 1: Have you seen that?
Speaker 2: No, it's like hairy cloth and it's pretty big, but you put it on your on your hair and it dries your hair like more than you know a normals crunchy would.
Speaker 3: Wow. I do like that.
Speaker 4: That's that's nice because I like occasionally like to let my hair air dry, and it takes so dang.
Speaker 1: Long I need I just sort of hell, I know I'm over the blowout. I have been going all a natural.
Speaker 3: And does this look all a natural around?
Speaker 1: Yeah? This is I use today for you, hair queen.
Speaker 2: I gave myself a little round brushy not like the thing that has the air that comes through it, but it's also a round brush.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I have one that goes low temp from my friend ch as Deine, and it's I did that today just for you.
Speaker 3: Wow, your hair's gorgeous.
Speaker 4: I mean if my hair looked like this without me putting in any work to it, I would also never.
Speaker 1: Are you doing curly hair naturally? Or what's happening without a body hair?
Speaker 3: Frizzy hair naturally? So I can it can go either way. If I blow it out, it looks great. If I let it.
Speaker 4: If I make it more curly, it can look great. But it requires just as much effort as a blowout does.
Speaker 3: It's like, now I've got to put this product in. Now, I'm gotta use this. Now I'm gonna wrap it around my finger.
Speaker 1: And I said this to my husband last night. I got into bed and I was like, I'm so tired of the upkeep.
Speaker 2: Like that all that we have to do to keep ourselves together, Like the doctor's appointments, let's start with that. You gotta really be on top of that and be proactive. Then it's just like okay, the skincare, the dental care, the dental hygiene, the eye care. Yes, it's all like not just your face skin, your body skin. Then there's the like fighting of the gravity.
Speaker 4: Yes, and sunscreen. Do I have to go to our sunscreen? We kind of sunscreen? Is this my face sunscreen? Or do I have to wear body sunscreen?
Speaker 3: It's all just so much. And what are we shaving?
Speaker 1: Do we laser? I don't know. There's a German planing.
Speaker 3: Now I gotta shave my face.
Speaker 4: It's like, what what are we talking about? That was the one good that was the one thing we had on men, is that hey, I don't have to shave my face.
Speaker 3: And now I'm like, oh, it's been a week since I Germa plane. What are we doing?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 3: My god?
Speaker 1: And you know what, I'm older than you, and it only gets harder.
Speaker 3: I know, I know.
Speaker 4: My mom is My mom is only twenty three years older than me, and she she is just she she never hesitates to tell me about how much worse it gets.
Speaker 3: I don't want to get me.
Speaker 2: I'm going to tell you it gets way better in so many ways. It kind of outweighs the worst. But just keep this hard. I mean, this is crazy. Okay, this is the last one, this or that nineties edition. I'm going to say two things, and you pick your favorite and tell me why.
Speaker 1: Save by the Belt A fresh Prince.
Speaker 3: Oh fresh Prince.
Speaker 4: Will Smith is just so much fun and so electric. And then also Tatiana Ali. I just think she's one of the most talented, beautiful, fun to watch people ever. And then you know, I'll Fonso that's my boy, and uh and he's such an iconic character. So I would go Fresh Print and the song, I mean, come on theme song.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's pretty iconic.
Speaker 4: Yeah okay, Oh for me, I.
Speaker 2: Never watched Save by the Bell, but I did like Fresh Prints. I liked the just like the vibe of it and also just energy in it.
Speaker 1: It was I had a lot of energy. Make lifted you up?
Speaker 2: Okay, AOL instant messenger or landline phone back.
Speaker 3: Then, back then lamb line phone.
Speaker 4: I would spend hours, not just talking to boys, not just talking to boys. I liked which I definitely did. But also just catching up with friends. You spend all day with them at school and then you get home, you do your homework. Can you immediately pick up the phone and call your friend?
Speaker 1: Did you have like a leading line?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 2: Huh?
Speaker 1: The long once quickly quickly.
Speaker 4: And I could play with it with my finger and lay out on my bed and I go on to the other side, go to my five disc CD player that was like this big.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: Now it's like we can listen to music anywhere on our phones, but now I used to have a giant, giant CD player.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, I still have my AOL. Do you account?
Speaker 2: I remember they gave it to us. It was free, I think, but they made a big titdo about you. Look, we're giving you this free AOL. And I was so soaked to get something for free that I never wanted.
Speaker 1: To get rid of it. So I still have it.
Speaker 2: I don't use it as my primary anymore because people literally just laugh when I say my address. So yeah, but I love that AOL.
Speaker 4: My my co star on Pod Meets World and before World, Wilford hasn't al email address.
Speaker 1: Okay, the Rachel haircut.
Speaker 4: Or the side part, the Rachel haircut or the side part. I mean, I feel like Tapanga had the Rachel before Rachel. Take it.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna say the Topanga, Okay, I love that.
Speaker 4: Also, we were so into middle parts, like the all the boys of that generation had that middle part haircut, you know, like Jonathan Taylor, Thomas and writers like the sloppy Yes, the floppy middle just gorgeous. Luke Perry had that too, right in the middle or was it a side His was.
Speaker 1: Up, it was straight, there was no parting of anything.
Speaker 3: Jason's was was the last.
Speaker 1: Side part they had. Yeah, his was kind of side and then they had the sideburns that was like I burn, Yes, that's got all the girls.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 4: We liked middle middle part haircuts so much that we me Writer and Will when we started a little production company for the podcast, we called it Middle Part Productions.
Speaker 1: That's so funny. Yeah, you know what.
Speaker 2: I will never give up the side part though, even though my character I think had every hairstyle there ever.
Speaker 1: Was, But I think I still love the side part.
Speaker 2: And every time I do it, my daughter is like, no, Yeah, I'm like what why?
Speaker 4: I know you can pray it from my cold dead hands.
Speaker 3: Where else am I getting volume?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Thanks so true. Oh my gosh, you are so much fun. I've loved everything.
Speaker 2: Those were days, Those were crazy, crazy ninety days.
Speaker 1: But how lucky are we too having lived through that and be still here doing what we love to.
Speaker 4: Do and does not have too much photographic evidence of it, you know, like at least video evidence of it. It was before were the days of paparazzi and before the days of Instagram, so we could just be young idiots with money in somewhat, you know, with privacy.
Speaker 1: So it really was the good old days.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 1: It was well.
Speaker 2: I'm glad that we are both still here to talk about it and still thriving.
Speaker 1: I love that. I wish you all successes in everything that you're doing.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 4: Likewise, I can't wait for the next time we run into each other.
Speaker 1: It will happen.
Speaker 3: Yes, thank you, Thank you. Bye.