Speaker 1: Welcome back to she Pivots. I'm Hailey Kiyoko.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to she Pivots, the podcast where women share bold career moves and personal turning points that changed everything. I'm your host to Emily Tish Sussman. We have a very special guest for today's episode. In honor of Pride, we have the pop icon who has affectionately been dubbed lesbian Jesus. Hailey Kyoko started her career as a kid actor in commercials, playing drums before her feet really reached the pedals. She went on to play Velma and Scooby Doo and start in the Disney hit Lemonade Mouth. She moved into singing, joining a girl group when solo, and then became a pop star who rocketed to stardom when her twenty eighteen song girls Like Girls became a queer anthem. She's written two New York Times best selling novels, and this month she made her feature film directorial debut. But every one of those pivots traces back to one quiet, complicated thing she's been carrying from the beginning. She knew she was gay, and she looked around and didn't see anyone who looked like her half Japanese queered both at once. So she made the thing she never got to see to help someone else feel seen in their own lonely moments. We get into what it feels like to become a community's icon practically overnight while you're still figuring yourself out. She tells me about the high school heartbreak that twenty years later turned into a feature film, and she tells me about finding her fiance, Becka Tilly, who you may have seen on The Bachelor. This is Hailey Kiyoko, and this is how she pivots what is your name in What Do You Do?
Speaker 1: I'm Haley Kyoko and I'm a writer, musician and director.
Speaker 3: Excellent. Okay, so now we're going to go back.
Speaker 2: So you've been a performer since you were a little kids, Like you were in commercials and drums and acting and music. Was there ever a version of your life where you weren't in the entertainment industry? Or you're always like this, this is it. I'm going to be a performer of so variety.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's always been that for me, Like I was the kid doing dances with my friends in the living room for my parents, my parents' friends, and writing songs on the piano from a very young age.
Speaker 4: So performing was always a thing for me.
Speaker 2: Did you know where it was going to go? Or you were like, this is my stage, and I think about nothing else.
Speaker 4: I didn't know where I was going to go.
Speaker 1: I think initially, if we're going way way back, my first dream was to be in the Blue Man group perfect.
Speaker 4: I just really identified with.
Speaker 1: The Blue Man and the drumming and the percussion and the stage.
Speaker 4: And then my second dream was Stomp the musical.
Speaker 1: Oh Loved So I think very early on my dreams were percussive forward, Like I started playing drums when I was five and I was tap dancing, and so I just I knew I wanted to do something with rhythm, and then the dream progressed into singing and sync no strings attached. At what was the Staples Center which is now the Crypto Arena, I remember seeing them dancing and they had like fake money falling from the sky and the girls were screaming, and I was like, oh my.
Speaker 4: Gosh, I think I would like ten or something.
Speaker 1: And I was like, this is what I want to do and this is who I want to be, And I think that began this very long journey in music in general.
Speaker 3: Did you like specifically want to be them?
Speaker 1: Yeah, well I was also I was very gay, and so I like I wanted to be them, so like I wanted to be on that stage singing and dancing and having the girls screaming and being like this cool person that people liked, I like admired that.
Speaker 2: Did you try to put on their actual shows? Like you were like, these are my stuff's animals lined up?
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, no, I didn't have stuffed animals. I was like I had human beings. We were doing like, hey, come over Thursday night. We're doing dance performance in the living room. And it's so funny because obviously now that I'm a director, I look back at those moments and I was like I was directing, I was like, this is the show, this is how it's going to go, this is the vision. You know, we're going to do a five six, seven eight, we're step change here. So I think that just was part of my personality and there was never a world where I was going to be doing anything else.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, but you were also very entrepreneurial, Like you started selling drum charts to music stores.
Speaker 4: That's factual.
Speaker 1: I was really obsessed with business, so I would unfortunately use all my dad's printing ink, and before I even had a business, I printed out business cards. Before I even had a band, I printed my band cards and I put up flyers around the.
Speaker 4: Park join my band.
Speaker 1: No one called the home line unfortunately, so the band thing went out the window. But yeah, I was like doing drum charts and selling it to local like music stores, to like complicated by Avril Levine, I think I did swing swing by all American rejects. So I think very early on I've been somewhat.
Speaker 4: Of a hustler.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, very much.
Speaker 4: So I didn't have a product, but I was.
Speaker 3: But you had a business card. You're like, uh, I'm ready, I'm ready to be called.
Speaker 2: So you started a garage band at sixteen that was named after your grandfather. Yes, So what did makeing music with your own band feel like? At that point? When you tried the band didn't work, and then you'd already started doing like commercial and acting work, so.
Speaker 4: People didn't join my band.
Speaker 1: And then in high school I ended up becoming friends with these guys and I basically forced them to learn an instrument and become my band and we named it after my grandpa, Ahiti, and we won Battle of the Bands, and that was like the real beginning of having just kind of like this band feeling and vibe. I kind of wrote more like cold Play esque type music back then. While that was happening, I was trying to figure out how to get into the music industry, and acting kind of became this opportunity where I got to wait for hours and hours that these calls for these commercials, but these commercials would need like a musician, so I'd basically go an audition. One of my first jobs, I booked a Kmart commercial and I was playing the bass. And then I booked a Cinnamonto's Crunch commercial and I was playing the guitar. And so I got to like pretend to be a rock star and pretend to be a musician through the lens of being an actor, and so that.
Speaker 4: Kind of helps me.
Speaker 1: I mean it's always like, how do you even how does one even get on the TV screen?
Speaker 4: How does one even do this? I was a musical theater, I had the band.
Speaker 1: I was going to these auditions and just trying to find a way, you know, back in the day around that age, I'd have my dad drive me to the Pig and Whistle in Hollywood Boulevard and I would do open mic speed. You have to like pay or you have to like be like we're gonna have fifty people show up to It was like a pay for play kind of thing. We didn't have TikTok at that time to be able to access people, and so you're just literally on the streets passing out flyers. Right.
Speaker 3: There were gatekeepers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that has been I think one of the things it's so amazing, especially for artists, about the democratization of social media. It's also democratized access access to audiences, whereas before you probably had to try to conform in some way because there were gatekeepers like to what they wanted.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, I mean still to this day.
Speaker 2: The hustle was always there for Haley. So when Vitamin C came calling with a spot in an all girl group, she said yes and got her first real look inside the machine. So you were approached by Vitamin C to join the Stunners when you were still in high school.
Speaker 1: I again was trying to get into the music industry auditions, and then I did that for like a year or two and I learned a lot. It was It was a great experience. I got to learn what I like, I got to learn what I don't like. Definitely got to experience a little bit more of like the record label industry through that lens.
Speaker 2: Say more about that, Like what about the record label industry? It's really something I know almost nothing about. You know a lot of things, that's not one of them.
Speaker 4: You know, I was young.
Speaker 1: I think I was like nineteen eighteen or nine, I don't know, maybe I started at seventeen around that age, and so you know, you got these four or five girls performing these songs dressed up up for the male gaze. It was not necessarily something that I wanted to pursue. And I also was in the closet, so I had a really hard time navigating, Oh, I'm supposed to be like performing for the male gaze, but like I'm a lesbian and I don't want to do that. So there were a lot of moments that I felt really uncomfortable. Granted, my hair was in a pixie cut with a bleach streak, so the closet was glass. It was hard for me to navigate, but I learned how to perform in heels.
Speaker 4: So that was cool.
Speaker 2: I'm guessing you would actually started younger if I'm guessing you yeah, and your performances.
Speaker 3: You'd been practicing for that one for a long time.
Speaker 4: I like sneakers now more so.
Speaker 2: What do you feel like you got out of that that prepared you for the next thing?
Speaker 1: I think I learned that the music industry is really tough and it's really hard to get into. I think it prepared me to really challenge myself to figure out what sound I wanted, who I was as an artist, And so when that ended, I finally was able to pursue my solo career, Like what does that look like? Am I singing covers? Am I writing original music? Am I on the guitar? Is there no guitar?
Speaker 4: Is it track? Is it rock?
Speaker 1: And so that began the exploration of who am I beyond just singing on the guitar in my bedroom, pining and yearning after girls, which was so much of my identity and music before.
Speaker 4: You know, and then when you record music, the possibilities are endless.
Speaker 1: The horizon looks different and you're like, Okay, what do I look like when I'm actually physically recording music or sound.
Speaker 2: Like and you have this acting career going in parallel, right, so like at the same time was about like Scooby Doo.
Speaker 4: I was one of the first Asian Velma's thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Yes, okay, So you said that you almost did an audition for it because of your concerns about image.
Speaker 3: To like, talk me through that.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's sad like to think that I grew up in a society and so many other people do where I almost stopped myself from auditioning for Velma because I was part Asian is really sad, and then had I not gone out for it, I would have never gotten it.
Speaker 4: And I went out for it and I.
Speaker 3: Booked the role.
Speaker 1: So it's interesting how much we as people hold ourselves back due to the narrative that society is feeding us. I grew up during a time where Asian people played the sidekick in the best front, so it was really hard for me to believe that I could have main character energy, so to speak, because I never got to see that. But you know, it's seeing as believing. So when you don't see people who look like you or feel the way you feel successfully in the mainstream as the main character that's what you believe.
Speaker 4: Oh, I'm not the main character.
Speaker 2: Do you remember the first time you saw a character that really resonated with you and made you see beyond the possibility you had before.
Speaker 1: I think it was Alice Woo's movie that half of it.
Speaker 4: I think it was on Netflix. This was years. This is like I'm in my twenties. I think when this came out and Leah Lewis was the lead, and I remember going, oh my gosh, she got to be the lead, like I've never seen that before. I'll never forget that.
Speaker 1: It was a really cool, cool moment to be like, oh, you know what it is. It's someone said yes to this, and that's really powerful.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Have you ever gotten to meet her and tell her?
Speaker 4: I actually did.
Speaker 1: She came to one of my dinners for Girls Like Girls. She is so wonderful and kind and talented. It's been really cool because that was her Girls Like Girls, her moment. And then now I have these two up and coming young actors in my film.
Speaker 4: Who were both half Asian, and this is their moment. You know, my lead she was eighteen when we shot this, and I'm pretty sure Leo was, you know, around that age when she did hers too, so it's pretty wild.
Speaker 2: The Stunners didn't last and the same year the group split, Hailey lost her grandfather, the man she'd named her very first band after. What came out of that time was a song that would quietly change everything. We'll get there right after the break. I think this is probably around the same time. But your grandfather, who had been so important that you named your band after him, passed away in twenty eleven, which was the same year that Stunner's split.
Speaker 4: I think that was just life happening.
Speaker 1: I remember being really busy at that time, and I flew up to Colonna, Canada, which is where my grandpa lived, and I did a solo trip and I got to hang out with him and my grandma and get to spend time with him before he passed. That was a really special trip, which once we talk about the movie, you'll realize why it's become such a full circle thing.
Speaker 3: Oh, I'm so excited.
Speaker 2: So your early solo music videos, they were directed by you, and they centered on crewman stories. At the time, did it feel like were you intentionally going in to take a risk or you were just saying, like, this is the only way I know how to do this.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's my life being in love with women navigating that I can't really remove that from myself. I didn't enter the industry thinking I was going to focus on my truth. To be honest, that was not an intentional thing. And then when I wrote Girls Like Girls in twenty I think fourteen and we released in twenty fifteen, that was the first time I was really open with myself with another writer to be like, hey, I remember she asked me like, what are you most afraid about to write about?
Speaker 4: And I was like crying, and I was.
Speaker 1: Like, I'm well, lesbian, I like girls, but I never write about it.
Speaker 4: She was like, why don't we write about it today? And I was like, that sounds so scary. That was the inception of Girls Like Girls.
Speaker 3: That is hitting something that's so real for so many people.
Speaker 2: Is that some people's response like they like to be disruptive, and some people just want to be and aren't drawn towards it. And it sounds like you kind of went through the evolution of all of those feelings and identities.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think my authentic truth naturally was disruptive. Like when I finished the song and we did the music video. I was like, I really want to watch a video where you see two girls falling in love and they end up together, And like, I didn't really have a lot of access to that kind of representation. And I'm sure it was out there, but it wasn't easily accessible. And it really kind of threw me when I released the music video because I really didn't think people were going to watch it. Like I had nine thousand subscribers on YouTube, nobody knew who I was. Nobody wanted to premiere the music video. Everyone said it was risky or too Niche sure to this and to that, and then it found its community. It found millions and millions of people who felt the way I felt. I grew up in Los Angeles, which is a very liberal community and area, but I still had such a hard time finding my community and finding my people growing up in a predominantly white community, never being Asian enough, never being white enough. I didn't really have any queer friends, and if I did, I didn't know about it. And so this music video became kind of this message in a bottle to find this community of people across the globe that felt seen.
Speaker 4: That was not an intentional thing.
Speaker 1: My intentionality was to try to be honest and come out.
Speaker 2: Do you remember as it started to gain in popularity, like as I started to blow up, was there a moment or a couple of moments they were like, oh, oh.
Speaker 3: This is huge.
Speaker 1: Kept waiting for it to die down, like we're talking to hit five hundred thousand views that I was like, I'm going to be your I was like, oh my god, you know, like that's just for a perspective. And then I hit one million views. Then I hit two and then I was like, oh my gosh, maybe we'll hit three million, maybe we'll hit four million. Every week it would just go up a million million, and I just kept checking it. I kept waiting for it to almost like die, and it never did. It's literally one of those cheesy scenes that I probably acted out a million times in other movies and stuff. That is what was happening. And I was like, oh my gosh, this is going viral. It's weird to think of myself at that moment and to think about where I'm at now.
Speaker 4: It's been a really long journey.
Speaker 1: At that time, I wasn't confident enough to put myself in the music video because that was even more vulnerable. I had never written a song about a girl, and now I've directed eleven.
Speaker 4: Music videos about girls.
Speaker 1: I have multiple albums about women, and now I've directed a feature film that's going to be in theaters about this time in my life that I.
Speaker 4: Was so scared to share with the world.
Speaker 1: And now I'm so confident and proud to share that with the world.
Speaker 2: The thing that you were most nervous about, as you said to the songwriter that you were working with, like the thing is now actually the thing that you're most proud of. It sounds like like at first it had defined you in being scared, and like now it's to find you in a really positive way.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was leading with fear, and now I'll lead with confidence and love for myself.
Speaker 2: Girls Like Girls was the beginning of a new era for Haley. Her debut album, Expectations, made twenty eighteen, the year everything seemed to land at once, and she wasn't the only one. Twenty eighteen became known as twenty gayteen, a stretch where queer artists were breaking into the mainstream and being celebrated out loud for exactly who they were, and Hailey was right at the front of it. Your debut album, Expectations, came out in twenty eighteen, the same year you won the Push Artists of the Year at the Tvvmas, and you've performed on stage with Taylor Swept for the first time.
Speaker 3: Do you now think like, now I'm going to get my instinct stage moment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, twenty eighteen, which we call twenty gayteen, was definitely one of the best years of my life and career for sure. It was the culmination of working towards my debut album. It was the first time I was signed to a record label and getting to direct all these music videos, and it really felt like my debut to the world in the most authentic way.
Speaker 4: So it was like the coolest thing.
Speaker 1: That award at the MTV Music Awards was voted by the fans.
Speaker 4: That was like so extra special. My fan base.
Speaker 1: I've been around, but I'm not like selling out arenas by any means, you know.
Speaker 4: I think at that time I was still up and coming.
Speaker 1: So it was a really really exciting time and I felt like everything was coming together for like my musical dres and aspirations.
Speaker 4: I think of twenty eighteen.
Speaker 1: As a really beautiful highlight and in my journey there were just a lot of amazing things that happened. I got to go on tour, I got to do a soul Out tour and the US and Europe, and got to perform with Taylor, which was so cool. I got to open for Panic at the disco. I felt really supported in the music industry at that moment in my journey. That was my first release with a major record label. But it was different from the Stunners and all that stuff. It's very like, oh, this.
Speaker 4: Is like I might become a musician. This is really cool.
Speaker 1: It's really hard to have kind of like financial and public success sync.
Speaker 3: Why is that.
Speaker 1: I don't think a lot of people know that artists are the CEO and boss. So you pay for everything. So when you go on tour, you're paying for the bus, you're paying for sixteen employees, you're paying for per diems, you're paying for literally everything. And as the industry has evolved into twenty twenty six, unless you're the top one percent, record labels are not paying for tour support and artists have to do it all themselves. I'm sure as you've seen, so many artists have had to cancel tours and downsize, and we're in a recession. There's a lot going on in the world. It's really hard to sustain. I remember when I was young, my parents were like, it's one thing to be an artist. It's another thing to be able to be an artist for a long time and to be able to create longevity and sustainability. I never really understood that until obviously being in the industry for I don't know how many years. It's been a lot of divs that have to happen to stay in the industry, that's for sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And what was your parents' experience with that? Well, both of.
Speaker 4: My parents were artists.
Speaker 1: My mom was a nice skating choreographer and still is, and my dad was a comedian, so they knew what it was like to make money and then to not have money for a long time and to not know when the next check was going to come. All in the sake of art. You know, when you're an artist, you have to express yourself.
Speaker 4: It's like part of who you are.
Speaker 2: How do you feel like it informed the way that you approach the business side.
Speaker 1: My dream was to be stable, like mentally stable, financially stable, everything stable. It definitely informed me that if I was going to pursue a career in music, that I needed to find a way to not be so vulnerable.
Speaker 4: You don't really have control when the next check comes.
Speaker 1: In twenty gay teen was amazing and it was a really beautiful moment in my music career. And then after that it all got really hard, got really hard. Labels weren't paying for music videos. I was working on my next album. Then there was the pandemic. Meanwhile, all during all of this, I had started the movie Journey in twenty sixteen, So my mind started getting a little distracted of like, I really want to direct this movie.
Speaker 4: How does one make a movie? How does a queer woman of color make a movie?
Speaker 3: How do you.
Speaker 4: Even do that?
Speaker 1: So I'm kind of taking that journey on as I'm navigating the music industry, the pandemic, all these things, And so the music side got less fun because it was really hard. I couldn't go on tour, I couldn't release an album. I didn't have the financing to do things. And once you do things, I got a certain level You creatively always want to continue, you don't want to go backwards. And for so long I had created art through favors, and you know, after ten years of doing that, you can't do that anymore. And so when that doesn't connect with the business side and the labels support and the finance of it all, it.
Speaker 4: Starts to get really, really hard.
Speaker 2: How did you respond when it started to get hard, Like did you start to scale down and do things like more quietly on your own or you just kind of left music and went into into movies.
Speaker 1: I'm going from one hardship to the next stardship. You know, I continue to write music. I'm too Sensitive for the Shit was an amazing EP that I was super proud of and tried to stay super creative, but I definitely started getting distracted and in wanting to direct this movie and get this movie made. That journey started to get closer. In twenty twenty, I thought I was going to shoot the movie. Then it didn't happen. Twenty twenty one, thought I was going to shoot the movie, didn't happen, and I started putting everything on pause because I was like, I'm going to go shoot this movie, and when I do, I'm going to be unavailable. So I couldn't really like plan things. And when you do music, you got to plan your tour like a year in advance at least. So it all started getting a little cloudy. I was craving creativity and I didn't know if the movie was ever going to get made. So I decided to write a book and write my dream version. This is another pivot, right, like the movie is not happening, the music is looking hard, and I started writing the Whying of of Girls Like Girls, which is like the dream version of the story. I started putting all my energy into that, where I was just like, if I die tomorrow, at least the story of Cooley and Sonya will live on and we'll reach a fourteen year old in Idaho or a thirty five year old navigating their identity.
Speaker 3: Writing a novel sounds extremely hard to me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's not none of this. None of it's easy. I definitely work harder, not smarter.
Speaker 2: But was that the thing that kept you going, like thinking about what the impact would be.
Speaker 4: I wasn't thinking about what the impact would be.
Speaker 1: I was just thinking about trying to make someone else's life easier. And it shouldn't be this hard to have representation and to share stories that are not heteronormative narratives.
Speaker 4: I watch videos of people going like, oh, it's Pride month. You know, what are your favorite queer movies for sapphag women and for them to be the lead and to be pee like, the list just gets so small. So that's always just been my drive is to be like, if I don't do this, who will. I felt like I couldn't give up.
Speaker 1: I wanted to give up a bajillion times, and if I would take pauses and walk away from it, but there was just something in me that was like I have to. It felt like my purpose had shifted. It went from oh, I want to be a performer like in sync to I want to tell stories and world build and I want to help people feel lighter and I want to help people's journeys. And so that's always been like my driving force in all of this.
Speaker 2: One of the things that I think is so remarkably thoughtful of the way that you designed the covers of your novels is that they're designed to be removable. Instead, if somebody's reading in a public space, they don't feel like it's safe for them to be reading reading your book, they can read it essentially anonymously.
Speaker 3: Is that something that you came up with yourself.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was just thinking about my sixteen year old self and I wasn't confident in who I was.
Speaker 4: And I don't want the title girls Like Girls.
Speaker 1: To stop someone from being able to read about themselves or seeing themselves represented. If you're on the journey to have the cover saying girls Like Girls amazing, and if you're maybe not even safe to read it in a space, you can take the cover off and it can be a little more ominous.
Speaker 4: There was always like a moment back in.
Speaker 1: The day during twenty eighteen, more people instead of asking if people were queer, they'd be like, do you listen to Haley Kyoko?
Speaker 4: And so I became this psych symbol of outing. I have allies, I have ally supporters who I love. But I thought about that when I was finishing the book, and you know, I want people to feel safe to explore themselves and do it on their own time.
Speaker 2: Becoming a symbol for a whole community is one experience. Quietly sorting out your own heart is another. When we come back, we'll hear from Haley about her own journey of self acceptance and how she ended up with her fiancee Becca be Right.
Speaker 3: Back.
Speaker 2: It's kind of a heavy weight almost to say, like I'm out and then like yourself, like navigate your own dating life and like navigate your own even like in your own family relationships and like friendship relationships, Like how did you navigate all of that personally?
Speaker 3: For yourself?
Speaker 1: I did it very hidden. I didn't share. I think I came out a couple of times to my parents. I told a couple of friends, but up until my early twenties, it was definitely in the closet for sure. So it was a very silent experience. And that's why when you watch Girls Like Girls the movie, it's like a lot of it is not even through dialogue, it's just through the glance, the touch, because a lot of my experience was like in my brain.
Speaker 4: And also who wasn't like.
Speaker 2: Spoken about Yeah, post girls Like Girls, I mean you must have had girls throwing themselves to you. But how did you start to choose who you wanted to go out with and how you wanted to initiate those relationships?
Speaker 1: Well, people were not throwing themselves on me. Let's just get the record straight. I present confident, but I'm very shy and I will not make the first move.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: The only reason why I'm engaged. Congratulations, thank you is because back I made.
Speaker 4: The first move.
Speaker 3: Okay, she did well.
Speaker 1: I never got to go to prom with my crush. I think I'm wanted my first date in my twenties. Like a lot of queer people talk about how our adolescens, our teen experience becomes in our twenties, it's very delayed because we are not either safe or have the ability to.
Speaker 4: Explore ourselves in that way.
Speaker 1: So I had a very delayed experience, and you realize that you have to love yourself first before you can love anyone else, right, And what's been so beautiful about this journey is Girls Like Girls. The movie captures this time in my life that really set the tone for the next ten years of my experience where I really struggled with self love, self worth, identity, not feeling just seen and worthy, and whether you're queer or not, whoever you love.
Speaker 4: Every person has that one memory and moment we.
Speaker 1: Are so scared to find out if they like you back or not, or you're like, are we getting married or not? Are we going to be in a committed relationship or now, Like everyone's had that breaking point where I was like, enough is enough?
Speaker 4: I need to know the answer.
Speaker 1: Even though it's so specific to my experience, it's so universal.
Speaker 4: So this movie really captures that for me.
Speaker 1: And it's really cool to be engaged in in a loving, healthy relationship to know that it can happen, and you can go through the love triangles and the hardship and the toxic relationships, and you can work on yourself and do therapy and ride in your journal and find a person who does value you and who makes the first move and makes you not question your worth as a woman or a person. And everyone deserves to feel that way.
Speaker 3: Okay, so how did you and Becca meet and what was her first move?
Speaker 1: I met her talking about twenty eighteen. I met her at My Expectations album release party, and she was trying to hug me up with her younger sister because she was from the Bachelor and hadn't dated women, but she had, you know, a core sister, and so she was trying to like cook me up with her.
Speaker 4: And I was obviously interested in Becca.
Speaker 1: And then so she set up like drinks a couple days later, and the sister had to bail and so Becca went instead. So then We had a date for like six hours, a date in my eyes, you know, and then the next day Becca kissed me, so that would be considered the first move.
Speaker 3: I would consider that the first move.
Speaker 1: Yes, she kissed me, and then I left for tour. We did long distance for a while, and I actually wrote my second book, or There's Room for Us, inspired by Our mEq, because Our Meiq was so interesting and unique and it's like set in like the eighteen hundreds and stuff, because I'm like obsessed with pride and prejudice and all, you know, little women, all those books, and so it's.
Speaker 4: Really fun to tell our story like through the lens of like if you could be queer in the eighteen hundreds.
Speaker 3: And there for sure were like they're for sure people who were.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but like in the real world, you can't have a happy ending in the eighteen hundreds as a lesbian. And so when I was writing that book, which was my second book, I was like, I need to alter reality because I need a hopeful ending. So I basically wrote it where you can be gay, but women aren't equal, which duh, we still aren't equal. So two gay men can inherit Land and continue the family line but two women can't. So there's still societal pressure for someone in the family to marry a man or to have a son.
Speaker 4: And that was a really interesting to explore too. But anyways, a lot of relevant. I'm always trying to.
Speaker 1: Find ways to bring my life into a fantasy land.
Speaker 3: Well I think it's been quite successful. When are you getting married?
Speaker 1: We're hoping to start planning after the movie Craze. You just never know, like with a movie, once it's released, if you're going to continue working on the movie, if it's going to go overseas, if there's international plans. So we're just kind of like on pause until we figure out what the rest of the year looks like and then we'll go into to planning back as the best. And it's been really special to have a partner throughout this process. We've been together for eight years and this process has been ten years, so she's almost been She was like, what are we going to talk about now once the movie's over? That's like literally, I was like, this has been my whole personality, my whole life.
Speaker 4: So that's been really special.
Speaker 1: As you know, it's just like you have your highs and lows and to get to go to the finish line with her and release this film and get to give this film to everyone, like this is my gift to the community, and it's not mine anymore, it's theirs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, do you think of post wedding? Have you guys talked about having kids? It's something you want to do, not want to do.
Speaker 1: We enjoy being ants currently. We love that life and that's kind of where we're at right now. So we love traveling and being ants and also you know, doing what we do.
Speaker 4: So we'll see. But right now it's movie and then a wedding.
Speaker 3: Fair enough, I have three kids and that life sounds delightful.
Speaker 2: It took high school heartbreak, ten years of hard work, and a number one best selling novel to finally help realize Haley's vision for a girl's like girls film, but she was finally able to make her movie and an album to go with it.
Speaker 3: Okay, so let's get.
Speaker 2: To the film you thought it was he made in twenty nineteen, you thought he made in twenty twenty.
Speaker 4: This has been fun. I'm going to memory Lane with you for real. We are tracking.
Speaker 2: Along the mountainside and we're making We really cover a lot of ground in this show. But how did you know that this time was different. You're like, yes, we're making the film.
Speaker 4: Well when you.
Speaker 1: Get the green light, so essentially you do all these pitches and depending on if a studio wants to distribute it, our producers they go, yeah, we want to make this, and then it's like okay, cool, and then they go all right, go budget it out and figure it out.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 1: So this was in like twenty twenty, so we budgeted this movie out for like multiple different areas all over Canada, upstate New York, and you're essentially trying to make the budget work for the script and the story, but you don't have the money yet because you don't have the green light, they.
Speaker 4: Give you their blessing to go figure it out. Essentially, this is where the Colona piece comes back in.
Speaker 1: So then I release the book in twenty twenty three that becomes a number one New York Times bestseller. That starts creating the hype and the studios. You know, I guess you're right, there is a demand. I get the green light at the end of that year.
Speaker 4: Like, go, actually, go shoot it. We'll pay for it.
Speaker 1: And I get a call from my producer and as the director. The movie set in Oregon, but you don't get to choose where you're shooting the movie because tax write offs all these things, like everything has to kind of play. And so they called me and they're like, hey, we're going to shoot this movie in Cologna, Canada.
Speaker 4: Have you heard of it? And I'm like, what are you talking about? Have I heard of it?
Speaker 1: My grandpa and my grandma have a house there and you sedtill live there and I hadn't been there since my grandpa had passed, So talk about.
Speaker 4: A universal alignment.
Speaker 1: It was like I had full body chills and I was like, Okay, I think this movie's actually going to get me, because.
Speaker 4: You cannot make that stuff up.
Speaker 1: This whole journey for me too has been embracing my Japanese side, and to shoot this movie four streets down from my grandparents' house on.
Speaker 4: My Japanese side was very emotional.
Speaker 1: And my grandpa was so important to me and to the point where I had to band named Heaiti in high school.
Speaker 4: So that was pretty wild.
Speaker 1: And I do think that that was the moment where I went, I don't know who's going to see this movie. I don't know if it's going to get distributed. But I'm making this movie and I'm supposed to be where I am.
Speaker 2: Okay, So what else do we need to know about the movie.
Speaker 1: Well, it's a great film school Girls Like Girls. It comes out June nineteenth in theaters. When I finished the film, well, firstly, the two leads are incredible. Colie's played by Maya da Costa and fun fact, she's actually was the first audition tape I ever watched out of four thousand submissions that came in. And then Mara molloy, who plays Sonia, she actually auditioned for Koli and I brought her back to audition for Sonia because she just was like she just had that essence of like I'm going to break any for anybody's heart, and I was like, that's the vibe we're going for for Sonia. And so again going back to that Velma Dinkley conversation about how I didn't think I'd be the lead. I didn't think that the studio would approve two Asian leads because that wasn't an intentional plan. It just ended up happening that way, and it was such amazing surprise that they approved the girls and supported my decision to move forward with the two girls, and that was also a pleasant surprise and just a reminder of like you just never know.
Speaker 4: And I remember talking to my ram.
Speaker 1: She was like, I didn't think I was going to get the role because the other girl was Asian, and we both thought the same thing, and I was like, Wow, we're really holding ourselves back here, Like we got to start changing this narrative because we deserve.
Speaker 4: To be in the front, to be seen.
Speaker 1: And that's what this whole film is about, is representation and being able to see yourself in a film and know that your story is important on a major scale.
Speaker 4: It's not a story that should be hidden. It's a story that so many people have experienced and are still experiencing.
Speaker 1: Whether you're sixteen or forty five or sixty five. You know, we all have had that young love, like when you're sixteen seventeen and fall in love with someone and it feels like life or death and you're like, I'm gonna marry this person, and this is the one. You know what the film is said in rural Oregon, it's summer, it's nostalgia. And then when I finished the film, I wanted to have a soundtrack for the movie, and they don't do soundtracks for movies this size, and so I ended up just going to the studio and writing the album.
Speaker 2: They're like, I'll have to just do it all and true form doing it all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And so yeah, I finished the movie one in the studio, pitched the idea a ton of artists and got a bunch of incredible career artists to collaborate and come together and write songs inspired by the scenes.
Speaker 4: And ten songs.
Speaker 1: Off of the album aren't even in the movie. They're just like bonus. So you can essentially go watch the movie.
Speaker 4: Come home, listen to the album, and be able to connect the dots.
Speaker 3: Yeah, connect all over again in a different way.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So what is something that at the time you saw as maybe a low point for you, but now you see it as having really launched you to the success you are today.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think about that heartbreak I had in high school and I had this like platonic relationship with this girl and we would say all of juice to each other and the knee caressing and all this stuff, and it was really heartbreaking for me. And to know that that was such a catalyst to lean me to my directorial debut over twenty years later is pretty It's pretty insane when you think about it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, did you think she has any idea?
Speaker 4: I don't think she cares. That's very her.
Speaker 1: So I think I'm grateful for that experience and I have empathy for that person because I think society also too, was really holding her back from being her true self. I don't know if she is at this time, but it's wild to look back at a traumatic moment in your life and to turn it into something to hopefully help others feel sick and validated and heard.
Speaker 3: Did you actually have a conversation or you just sort of like floated apart.
Speaker 1: Well, there's a scene in the movie where Coley goes to grab her jean jacket from Sonya, and that scene is pretty borderline verbatim a scene that I experience in my life, and it was that moment that everyone has where it's like, I need to know the answer.
Speaker 4: She's about to leave town. I need to know.
Speaker 1: And sometimes it leads in being together, and sometimes it leads in just being absolutely shattered.
Speaker 3: And then twenty years later to a beautiful film.
Speaker 4: And then you make it into your directory yeah, the upside.
Speaker 3: Yeah, do you think you'll pivot again?
Speaker 4: I do feel like I found my thing.
Speaker 1: I love directing, I love storytelling, I love world building. I would love to just continue to do this for the rest of my life. I'm sure pivots will come down the road, but I really do feel like all of the pivots have actually led to this landing in this moment, and I think I'm okay with not pivoting for a while and actually just embracing. I think it's a really cool feeling when you finally figure out what you want to do, and it takes sometimes a lifetime, and so to be able to identify that finally through the music and the acting and the fake business cards and all these moments, to know that directing was actually where I was headed is like a really beautiful feeling. And when I made the movie, as hard as it was to make, it was the easiest thing in the sense of it felt like home. I was like, Oh, this is what I'm good at, this is what I can do, and I want to be a vehicle and a voice and a space for my community to be able to go see tens or hundreds of films and TV shows, and to be able to read ten plus queer books and universes and all of these things like we deserve.
Speaker 4: We're all so different and unique.
Speaker 1: There's so many stories to be told, and it shouldn't take ten years for our stories to be told.
Speaker 3: Is there anything that we haven't talked about that we should?
Speaker 4: No, I feel like we really just we went through my entire life gave we.
Speaker 2: Really cover a lot of ground. Well, thank you so much, Haley, It's been so great having you. This is just the beginning, I know.
Speaker 4: Oh, thank you so much. Yes to pivots and beyond.
Speaker 2: There's a moment in our conversation where Haley describes the whole shift in her life in one line. She used to lead with fear. Now she leads with confidence and with a love for herself. And I think that's at the core of what she's built in her art. The exact thing she was most terrified to write about in her twenties, being a girl who likes girls, is the thing that she's now put into a song, eleven music videos, two best selling books, and a movie she directed. The fear didn't vanish, She just walked straight at it and created something other people could finally find when they need it most. The Girls Like Girls film and album are out. Now go see the thing she spent ten years and her entire heart making happy pride. Pivoters. See you next week. Thanks for listening to she Pivots. If you like this episode, follow the show so you never miss a pivot story and share it with one woman in your life who might need to hear it. To learn more about our guests and join our community, follow us on Instagram at she pivots the podcast our Subscribe to our substack for exclusive content and behind the scenes conversations. You can also find us at shepivotspod dot com. This episode was produced and edited by Paige Davis Janatt, with sound editing and mixing by Nina Pollock. Logistics and planning by Emastopic and Kendall Crupkin. Research by Christine Dickison. She Pivots is proud to be a part of the iHeart Podcast Network.
Speaker 4: I endorsed che The Presents