Speaker 1: You're listening to I Choose Me with Jenny Girl. Welcome back to I Choose Me. I'm continuing my conversation with David Archaletta, American idol Icon best selling author of Devout and someone who courageously models the choice to live life authentically. Here's more with David. I know from reading your book that you saw a lot of things as a kid that you shouldn't have been subject to abuse in your family and whatnot, and so separating from a parent is very hard, and often you get guilt from doing it, from standing on your own and telling your own truth. I'm sure you had to have felt that, because I can relate to that as well. Did you? And even about you know, I didn't really even write about this part in my book about my relationship with my parents in these terms. But how did you deal with any guilt that you might have felt?
Speaker 2: Or Oh, I felt so guilty. I felt so I felt like such a betrayer. Yeah, but I mean my dad let me know that how much I betrayed him as well.
Speaker 1: Which didn't help your narrative.
Speaker 2: I'm sure I believed him. I believed I was betraying my dad. I was going against our beliefs that family comes first, and you're supposed to respect your parents and honor thy father and mother. It's one of the Ten commandments. Even so, I felt like I was being very disrespectful, and you know, it was hard to know because my dad would rant and rage of everything I had done to him and how horrible of a son I was to him, and I would believe him because he was my dad. And I was also kind of conditioned not to really speak up for myself and to speak back to him because he was my dad, and so the only things I was really allowed to say were things that he approved of. And I think it was a relationshipship and a father to child dynamic that was more unique to the relationship we had together, because it's different with other siblings. Even though same dad, same house, it was very different dynamic of what he expected of me. It just got to a point where I would say, I would ask because I was so confused. I'm like, he keeps bringing up all the horrible things I've done to him, And when I would ask him to specify, I'm like, Dad, what, like, what can you explain to me what I did wrong and what I did to you? I would love to apologize for it, but I want to know what it is because you keep bringing it up. I'm confused, and he would like divert the conversation. He would avoid answering me clearly because there wasn't anything specific that I was doing him. It was just a tactic he used to make me feel guilty and have to apologize to him. And even this last time I spoke to him, I was just before the book, when I was trying to get the quote, I was just like, Dad, what were you? Please give me something specific? I need specifics. Speak to me clearly. And He's just like, well, just all the ways you've treated me, and I just you know, why would a son ever do that to his father? And I was just like, what do what? Please tell me? And he I don't think he even knew himself because I was. I kept like like, okay, no, I'm not gonna let like tell me specifically what I'm doing to you. You can't give me a straight answer because I'm not doing anything to you.
Speaker 1: And dies that help you become just stronger and stronger and stronger.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it made me realize that, Okay, I'm not insane. I'm not a crazy person.
Speaker 1: I'm not a spoiled brat.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, he would call me. He would say how self righteous I was and how much of a high horse I was on. And it came to realize it wasn't the way that I was treating him. It was the fact that he felt like I wasn't seeing things his way right. And I was like, Dad, I hope you see I'm listening to you and I've seen and I hope you feel like I think he just felt misunderstood and he felt misunderstood with his intentions with me, And I was like, Dad, I appreciate what you've done and like what you tried to do to me as a dad, I just hope you see that some of the things that even though they were well intentioned, they didn't have great outcomes, okay, can be exhausting. And I was like, you would get obsessive with me, You wouldn't give me a break, Like it was I wasn't really even allowed to speak up for myself.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he made you like rehearse and over and over and over and over all night.
Speaker 2: He for for hours, yeah at a time, and it was like, I swear he's ocd of with it. And if I would just be like, okay, like I'm done, like I don't, he's like no, like it just wasn't an option. And if I disagreed with him, or if I said I don't want to do this anymore, like I don't like what you're doing, he would be like, oh, you don't understand me. Well, we have to have this discussion now, and it would last for hours, and it's like he never got tired of talking. So I would just have to like and if I said, okay, Dad, I'm going to go, I was disrespecting him and how dare you disrespect your father like that? And how darey? And then he would be like how could you treat me this way? And his energy just continued getting more intense and more times more intense, and then he would talk about He's like, I have person I am your father. As your father, I have it was divinely called from God. That is a divine calling I have as your father. I can receive revelation for you. You don't understand that my intentions are always in your best interest and no one will look at you the same way I do because I have revelation from God. No one will be able to guide you and help you and understand you the way I do. And I would have to apologize to him for even disagreeing or wanting him to stop. So I'd be like, okay, okay, I'm sorry, Dad, and he'd be like, it's okay, son, but I don't I just don't understand why you treat me this way. But it was like this like never ending loop of manipulation that I didn't know at the time. Now I do, thankfully, you know, therapy and my siblings helped have helped me a lot. But when my dad would then say, He's like, you just never understood me, And I'm like, hey, Dad, but can you realize can we acknowledge that I'm not mistreating you. I know you may feel that I'm mistreating you, like treating in a bad way, but we have to acknowledge this for what it is. You don't like that I don't agree with you, that doesn't mean I'm treating you in a bad way, okay, And you can't use that again. You can't use that against me just because I disagree with you. And he also just like, well you don't understand me. I'm like, and that's okay. You don't understand me either the way you think you do. And I may not understand everything about you, but I can still respect you, and I don't have to agree with everything you say to understand you. And just because I don't agree with you and don't understand everything about you does not make me a whole son, and it doesn't mean I'm treating you horribly. So I but it was like a weird thing that I was finally finding peace with all the times he had said all this stuff before. And there are times where he could talk to me for three, four or five.
Speaker 1: Hours, Oh my god, and my brain would explode.
Speaker 2: I did, I but it's like he knew how to wear you down.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: And my mom dealt with it too, which is why she ran away. When she ran away to California and didn't want to come back, And the only reason she came back it was because my dad said, I'm going to take David Todddish for American Idol, and I need we don't know how long this experience is going to take, and I need you to be here with the kids. And my mom I think she knew this, like she knew my dad was a manipulative. I don't think my dad realizes how manipulative he is.
Speaker 1: No, I don't think certain people ever. Yeah, kind of have that aha moment sadly, Yeah, have you kind of come to terms with the fact that he may never ever see from your perspective.
Speaker 2: As long as I don't bring up my career and singing, he's good.
Speaker 1: But you talk openly to him about your life. I talked to your relationships, like your sexuality. Are you able to he.
Speaker 2: Even though I wasn't really talking to my dad much, I did call him after I came out publicly so that he knew, and he was just like, son, I'm so proud of you. He's like, thirty years ago, this would have been unheard of a Mormon public figure, Mormon celebrity coming out.
Speaker 1: I'm so surprised.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was. He said he was really happy for me and really proud of me, which I wasn't expecting. But I was really relieved to hear. Right. But it's just when we talk about things in the past, like things that from the book are triggers. So but it took, like I said, it took like fifteen years to make boundaries. There's a moment in the book where I talk about how I just I cut him off. I blocked his number, and that was that. And it was just a hard like you, if you're not going to be okay with me living my own life and feel like you have to you have to put me down and wear me down to the point where I lose all my self esteem and all my confidence of myself. That and I have to be convinced that you need to come back and tell me and control everything in my life. Then we're not having a relationship. And he wasn't okay with that, and he tried for years to get back into working and being involved in my life in a working stance and a financial stance because I was too stupid to do anything my own.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he convinced you that you were too stupid to handle it on your own. He convinced you that he is the reason you were had become famous, the reason that you were successful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, And he did take me to American Idol audition, but I don't think and he did spend hours trying to teach me the things he knew. But in the end, my dad can't sing the way I can. He didn't teach me how to sing, like there's something that was just your gift in me. Yeah, thank you, Like I think that's the first time I ever say that too, because I'm like, well, I don't want to disrespect my dad. It's like, Dad, no, you were inspired by me to help me, to want to see me do what I did. But you know I didn't. You didn't tell me how to do what I'm doing. It was just it's just a part of what I do. So you can't take credit for where I am today. But in the end, he would, you know, back then, he would say, well, i'm your dad, you know I was. I don't know.
Speaker 1: You wouldn't be here without me.
Speaker 2: Yes, you wouldn't be here without me. I sacrifice so much of my time and my money, and I gave you voice lessons and things like that. So he's like, you owe me, And so it got to a point whe I'm like, okay, I've given you enough money at this point, because I was paying him a normal salary as a manager, and I was paying for him. Any time he said that I should pay him, well, you owe me the X amount of money. Well you need to give me this X amount this amount now and I'll just I had to learn the hard way that there is never enough. Yeah, there was never enough for him.
Speaker 1: And you couldn't probably say no because you just get berated for hours.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is rough, but you found the strength you left right after American idol, like the height for you of that moment, and you left to do a missionary.
Speaker 2: To be a missionary Yeah yeah, and.
Speaker 1: You took a sabbatical from this wild world that you were living in. Do you think that had an impact on you? Like, what kind of an impact did that have on you? Because then you had to come back.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I was so excited to leave because I felt like it was the first time I got to leave. And basically it was like it was a big f you to everything my dad was claiming he had built. Because if it weren't for him, I wouldn't be anything. It wasn't just I wouldn't be where I was. I wouldn't be anything if it weren't for him. I was such a to him, like I was painted like I was such a mess. I was a failure. I was a lost cause. But thanks to my dad, I've become something and somebody. So for him, he was sending me so many messages, calling me so many times, texting me so much because he was so pissed that I was going on a mission, because he felt like I was stopping him in the face, because it was like, after everything I'd done for you, he was and he was always involving the family. It's like, if you leave, you were leaving your whole family because they financially rely on you now and for me. But you know, looking back, and I'm like, that's not my responsibility. That's supposed to be yours. But he also was saying, well, I gave up my career and my business to support you, so how dare you? Yeah? And how dare you leave? That was scary goes the money, Yeah, that was a scary thing because I'm like, I don't want my family to be in a bad position.
Speaker 1: How did you get the strength to choose to do that?
Speaker 2: Well? Well, because it was a religious thing. I felt like, I'm doing God's work, and if we're in God's hands, then if I'm doing the most important thing I could be doing right now, which is to be a missionary for God, don't you think he will provide? So I looked at it as I have enough faith that God will provide for my family even if they're not relying on me. And I know that they've become dependent on me. So I didn't know how the transition was going to be for me to not be in the picture anymore. But I was still financially involved for my mom. I was paying her mortgage because she didn't have a job. She was told the same things my dad told me. My dad told her so he would say, you're too stupid to work. You didn't finish school, you don't have an education. You're English. Your English isn't good. You suck at math like you can't. You're supposed to be a mom and stay home. That's the mom's role. And I mean that was came from our church too, like the dad is the provider and the mom takes care of the kids. But now that they were going to get divorced, it was a really ugly divorce. My dad put my mom in a very difficult position. It was to the point where he was trying to get her to pay him alimony. And it's like, wait, you told her she didn't have money. You know that she doesn't have money because you never allowed her to work, So how is she supposed to give you alimony. That didn't make any sense. But she didn't have any legal representation, she didn't have any dy afford it. So I was like, Mom, you anything you need, you let me know. I will provide. But she didn't want to ask me because she didn't.
Speaker 1: Want to be She didn't want to be like him that current.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it's so so I made sure she was able to have a mortgage. But I was like, Mom, I'm going to give you two hundred bucks for anything else groceries, but you need to have to figure out the rest on your own. But you don't have to worry about a mortgage. And you got two hundred dollars. But she's like, that was hard. She's like the first part of it, it was hard. My sisters were used to being provided, you know, having stuff for what they need, and when my mom's like, I can't have they we was like why not? Yeah, And they would get spoiled by my dad, you know, with things that they needed.
Speaker 1: So it's a bad position to be put in all around. Even though you rose to fame at that young age at seventeen, you sold millions of albums. You've worked with some of the biggest players in the industry. You talk about having imposter syndrome and being full of self doubt and feeling intense worthlessness, and I'm seeing all the pieces of the puzzle come together through you telling your story, and I'm just I feel I feel so sad, but at the same time so happy for the strength that you've discovered in yourself through all of this.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: I mean, what a journey. Do you still feel imposter syndrome? Because I talk about that and I still feel it.
Speaker 2: You feel it?
Speaker 1: I feel it all the time.
Speaker 2: Hmmm.
Speaker 1: I feel like I have to fight those negative voices in my own mind telling me that I'm not enough for that somebody else is doing this better than me. Why do I even bother? Do you still deal with those thoughts?
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh my gosh, all the time. And it's it's hard because sometimes you want to treat yourself the way when those negative thoughts come in. You want to give yourself what you think you deserve. Like even if other people are treating you well and think higher of yourself than you do, and so they and you know they treat you well and respectfully, and you tell yourself, I don't deserve that. So you look for ways to sabotage yourself even, yeah, because you believe that's what you deserve, because you're like, I don't deserve this, this is and someone else should be here. I totally relate when you said that, and.
Speaker 1: Then like you like you want to just blow the house up. Like some times I feel like i'm things. I feel so unworthy of all the fortune that I have around me and the love that I have around me. Sometimes I'm like I just need to burn this house down because I don't I don't deserve this.
Speaker 2: What what like? What what do you? Yeah? Why do you feel like you don't deserve I don't know what you have?
Speaker 1: Do you do you understand it?
Speaker 2: Like yeah, I yeah, I guess. I just wonder what causes you to feel like to what you have, Like you like you should even destroy what you have because it's like I don't deserve this.
Speaker 1: I think that's like there's some guilt for being famous, some guilt for being the one in the family that has success on the level that I do. Maybe you can relate the guilt of having a good life when others don't. Yeah, I think it's all about guilt and shame and I know that shame is not something that we should carry around because it's like the death of us. It's interesting, I mean because I can work through it now, like I have the tools from learning and being in therapy and you know, really understanding that about myself, I can. I'm able to in the moment handle it much differently than I used to be able to and like give myself grace and love myself even in those those thoughts and then those thoughts sort of dissipate. But I do think there's something there about like getting a certain level of attention that other people don't get.
Speaker 2: You know, maybe it's maybe it is like the universe's way of saying keeping you in the hance that it's like I don't want you to completely believe this, but I do want to just bring you back over here just so that you're in a more centered place of life and as a human if anything, Because I think we see a lot of people who who.
Speaker 1: Do they buy it, They buy themselves.
Speaker 2: They buy themselves, and I think it's just unhealthy. Yeah, it's unhealthy in another way. So it may not be fully healthy to experience shame at the amount that we can feel. Beck Yeah, because I'm there have been times where I'm like, I don't deserve this, so I'm not people want you to do something, You're like, no, because I don't deserve that. I don't deserve too. But it's like, you know, if you look at it's like.
Speaker 1: You're you got to think about all the accomplishments that you've had in your life. I mean, even for you after so many years of being closeted by your religion and your faith and being told that who you love is wrong. I mean, the that takes so much, so much like depth and grit and just belief in yourself and love for yourself to defy that and come out and live your life the way you want to live it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if anything, it was like such an amazing It was such a crummy place to be right before, because you're at your lowest of lows, because you're realizing you have to get jump over here in order to keep continuing in life and as a person and to accept yourself.
Speaker 1: That's a big leap.
Speaker 2: But it's yeah, it's a big leap because you're at such a low and you haven't learned how to make that transition yet. You haven't found how to go. It's like such an incline.
Speaker 1: Maybe it's like about haven't discovered how to trust yourself fully because you've never been given the opportunity to trust yourself, because you've always had someone calling the shots.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I willfully gave that away. I willfully became a codependent person. There are parts about it being that way that are easy. Yeah, it makes a lot of other things a lot more tricky and difficult. But not having to think of what am I supposed to do and how do I do this? Now? It's nice if someone else is doing it for you. But when it came to the point where there was I saw a conflict and tension between what was actually right for me and where I needed to go and where my church was my safety net and my guidelines. It told me everything I could and couldn't do. It made life so safe and easy. I didn't have to I didn't have to think for myself in a lot of ways. But with the sexuality is like, I'm not even thinking about it. It's just there, you know, And I'm trying to follow the rules they gave me, and it's actually not working for me.
Speaker 1: You tried, how are you as far as like going through all that you've gone through and wanting to be honest to yourself and live your life the way you know you need to live your life. How are healthy relationships for you now? At this stage, I.
Speaker 2: Feel like I'm still trying to figure out what a healthy relationship is and what it's like. Yeah, I've been so used to toxic ones and unhealthy and very.
Speaker 1: Uh what's it called inconsistent?
Speaker 2: Inconsistent and all volatile? Thank you? Volatile relationships that I don't it feels weird.
Speaker 1: I keep it. This is the exact same thing I told my husband. Really, it's like I don't know if I can have a healthy relationship. First of all, I don't know if I can because I clearly have a pass that i've you know, failed a few times. Or it's not that I failed, the relationship failed, but I felt like, oh, this is so boring. Yeah, like we're happy all the time, there's no drama. I need some drama.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Why. It's like you get so used to it and like you get conditioned to have to experience it, embrace yourself.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like your nervous system is on the ready all the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah that when it doesn't need to be on it. It's like, this does not feel okay.
Speaker 1: What do I do with all this time on my hands?
Speaker 2: What am I supposed to do with myself? Like I've I'm like ready to brace myself for this unsteadiness. I can't do this. This is Yeah, it's so boring, it's so uninteresting. I need some drama. I need I need some tension. I need to feel something to push back on. I don't know how to get out of that mindset, because if it's not there, then I'll create it.
Speaker 1: You'll create it for sure.
Speaker 2: Oh it sucks.
Speaker 1: I did that for a long time. Yeah, I did that until I just got tired of doing it.
Speaker 2: Really, Yeah, I hope I get tired of it. You will feel like I have too much energy right now. That's why I go to these raves and to dance. I have to dance with it out, dance it out. Yeah, it's like I feel like it's a really healthy way to get my adrenaline rush.
Speaker 1: But you rave.
Speaker 2: That I love you even more right now.
Speaker 1: Really, just go and dance and sweat and don't care about anything else.
Speaker 2: It's amazing. Have you ever been when.
Speaker 1: I was younger? Go to dance clubs, and I would go to Lesbian Dance club so that men weren't, you know, raying on me.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: And I was just amongst my female friends and we would just dance.
Speaker 2: That's awesome. Oh my god, that's amazing.
Speaker 1: Where do you rave? I want to know, is there certain clubs that you.
Speaker 2: Go to or yeah, they have you should go to DJ sets. So there's a few locations in LA. There's one Academy that's in Hollywood. There's Sound, there's Exchange. Those I think are like the three main ones. Insomniac There's there's a whole company called Insomniac Events and they put them on. They have those three venues. I think those are three venues they have, and then they have festivals and I I was just that one that they're that they threw called DC Electric Electric Daisy Carnival. It's like huge, It's I don't know how many hundreds of thousands of people are there, but it's amazing.
Speaker 1: You were there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so fun. I'm camping, so I have my camp.
Speaker 1: That is amazing and we do dance crazy just like nobody's watching. Yeah, because nobody is.
Speaker 2: It's amazing and everyone else is dancing to such grave vibes.
Speaker 1: Do you think music saved you?
Speaker 2: Music saved me? I feel like I don't know what life is like without it, So I just music is just a part of life for me. It really is is life giving.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean you came in here singing today? Oh did I? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, we were singing. We're singing get ready for a night to remember?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, I can't remember it now.
Speaker 2: Or was that the one no, no no, I was singing, honey, he can do it? Take your time, do right? Yeah?
Speaker 1: I love it. You dedicated your book. I'm going to quote it to those leaving behind a world that was once all they knew for the hope of a better life and a better version of themselves. That is a very huge I Choose me declaration, not just for yourself, but really wanting that for other people. Is that why you wrote the book?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Absolutely, that's like that was like the perfect little assuming summary to all.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm really glad you wrote this book. David's New York Times best selling book, Devout is available everywhere books are found. But before I let you go, David Archiletta, what was your last I Choose me moment?
Speaker 2: My last I Choose me moment was probably I mean this, you know this rave I went to because I have to say, hey that nope, this nothing is on the calendar. I'm going to just take some me time, kind of go connect with other humans and dance my little highe off and just feel the rhythm and be free, be free.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh my god, I love that for you. Thank you, thanks David, Thank you so much for joining me.
Speaker 2: David.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, what a treat. David's New York Times best selling book, Devout, is available everywhere books are found. Definitely pick it up.