Speaker 1: The church was a little United Methodist church on Eastland Road, which is right off of Morland. It was an elderly white congregation in a neighborhood that had transitioned. It had gone on several months when the pastor said, we've got to do something to help the kids in this community. I was twenty six years old, just finishing up my undergraduate studies, and he asked me, if maybe you've got some extra time, can you come and help us reach these kids. So all I did was put up a basketball goal in the church parking lot, bought one basketball and went out there just myself and just started bouncing the ball in the parking.
Speaker 2: Just bouncing the bump.
Speaker 1: Did it for a couple of hours. Went inside next day, same thing, same time, just bouncing the bump.
Speaker 2: I thought, maybe it's if I'm.
Speaker 1: Consistent, and sure enough, a couple of kids showed up from the neighborhood. One week, two weeks, three weeks went on, and pretty soon before we knew it, we had one hundred kids. The tragedy began to gain more and more publicity, Our program began to get more attention, but it was sad to see the kids and as you know, adolescens, they don't want to show their fear. They would joke with each other, you know, you're gonna get snatched and somebody's coming, you know, to your house, and you know, but you could tell, you know, deep down inside they were they were really frightened. I got the feeling that they knew they were in something together, you know, confronting this serious danger. And they kind of came together and around the program and saw me as the leader. Made them feel good to be a community, you know, to be a group. There was safety in our group, and everybody, whether they admitted or not, responds to love. I think that we've made some progress, with a long way yet to go. I can see a tremendous difference in the prejudices I grew up with, being born in the mid fifties. I remember the assassination of doctor King, and I remember the kids in my elementary school saying that they were glad that he had been killed or a terrible thing for a child to say, but that's what they were, that's what they've been taught. Yeah, I remember those things and unfortunately still see some of those same prejudices that are alive, you know, even today, in our beautiful city. Although we've come a long way, there are still bigotries alive, not only here in the South, but I imagine throughout this country. Honestly, I think perhaps we hide them a little better than we used to, but they're still there. I found acceptance in those kids, in their families, and together we made a difference in that one little part of Atlanta. So thankful for silver linings.
Speaker 3: That was a man named Bill him as a young man in the eighties, he saw how scared these kids were. The victims in this case are the children, and that should never be forgotten. Because this story is so complex. For years, people have argued whether or not they got the right guy. From everyone I've talked to, there's been a lot of disagreement over whether Wayne Williams is the Atlanta Monster. Many people feel that he's guilty. His stories just don't really add up. He fit the FBI profile to a t, and depending on how you looked at it, after he was arrested, the murder stopped. But some people seem to think this was a huge conspiracy against Wayne Williams, but with very little evidence to back up those claims. But the question isn't as simple as did he do it? The question is what did he do? Did he kill Nathaniel Cater and Jimmy ray Paine, the two adults who was convicted for Maybe he did, But what about the kids? Did he kill the kids too? Did he kill all of them? Even though people are still very divided over Wayne Williams himself, there's one common thread that everyone seems to agree on. It was time for all this to end in the city of Atlanta, and someone had to go away for this, and Wayne Williams was that guy. Wayne still claims his innocence, and from our very first phone call, he promised to provide strong evidence to prove that. I want this podcast to be the final debate over Wayne Williams and the Atlanta child murders, And now that my investigation is in full swing, I'm going to put everything out on the table. If Wayne Williams has anything credible to say, now's the time to hear it.
Speaker 4: I've been incarcerated since nineteen eighty one in connection with the Atlanta murders. It was a situation that few people understood then and today even fewer people understand the truth about what happened, and probably even more so about what didn't happen.
Speaker 5: Due to the political.
Speaker 4: Climate and the fear and all of the uncertainty about what happened, the police and authorities were just anxious to arrest anybody that they could, and that person just happened to be me. Sadly, it has taken all these years for me to finally get the case brought back to the Four Lights so people can see the truth about what happened in fact, and not only am I innocent man, but that the people involved in this, the family, it's the city, and the nation deserve an answer. One of the main objectives for US is to make people aware of what really happened during events before the trial as well as after the trial, and they continue today. I don't think few people realized I was never convicted in connection with any of the child murders. I was charged for the depths of two adults whose murders were actually unrelated. Furthermore, we were prevented from bringing out a lot of evidence that could have helped me during the trial. We're talking about the existence of other suspects. We're talking about physical evidence, including fiber evidence from caucasion suspects and others who we know were involved in some of these cases, as well as false testimony about the synthetic fibers that the yeah I presented during the trial. I refer not only to setting the facts were record straight, but telling of the story behind the scenes, about the hurt and the emotional pain that ling us to this day.
Speaker 5: I've done several.
Speaker 4: Interviews over the years, but none have addressed the full context of what this story is about.
Speaker 6: And Atlanta and another BONDI was discovered today but twenty third.
Speaker 7: At Police Task Force headquarters, there are twenty seven faces on the wall, twenty six murdered, one missing.
Speaker 5: We do not know the person or persons that are responsible.
Speaker 2: Therefore, we do not have the money.
Speaker 3: From Tenderfoo TV in Housetiff Works in Atlanta.
Speaker 8: Like eleven other recent victrums in Atlanta, rogers are currently.
Speaker 9: Was a spectator.
Speaker 7: Atlanta is unlikely to catch the killer unless he keeps on killing.
Speaker 3: This is Atlanta Monster. According to Wayne Williams, the story begins with that infamous night on the James Jackson Parkway Bridge. Wayne first described a rather convoluted story about the timing sequence of the bridge that night.
Speaker 10: Fia stillman, Yeah, I got it. He's coming towards him stopped. That's the time in SeaQuest they testified to the New Court. That's the contradiction during that sequest. There's no way any car could have been born south on the piege, turn into the gravel park lot and turn back north. That's absolute possibility.
Speaker 3: He's saying that according to police testimony, the timing doesn't make sense. In what he described as a matter of seconds, the police recruit below the bridge heard the splash, shine his light on the water, didn't see a body and only saw ripples. Then radio to the other officers, who then saw Wayne in his car turn around in a gravel parking lot just moments later, heading the opposite way on the bridge.
Speaker 10: That car had to have been traveling the entire time of the sequence. Bottom line is there was no splash.
Speaker 8: If you take the bridge out of the equation, Wayne Williams is not.
Speaker 5: In prison right.
Speaker 3: This is Vincent Hill, a law enforcement analyst and former police officer. But more significantly, Vincent is an expert of sorts on Wayne's case.
Speaker 8: If Wayne was not on that bridge, either the case would have been solved a different way, or it would still be unsolved. Take that bridge out of the equation, and what do you have. I guess you can argue that that had put Wayne next to the body, right, I mean, he's on the bridge.
Speaker 5: They hear splash.
Speaker 8: Two days later, there's a body found.
Speaker 11: That morning, while four officers sat quietly under the South cop Drive bridge, one of them and Atlanta recruit, heard a splash.
Speaker 3: Why do you think they stopped your car that night?
Speaker 10: You gotta remember that was the last night of the steakhout, that was the last day they so I'm sure they were probably, you know, anxious to stop something. Just make an account for the time.
Speaker 3: The police recruit Bob Campbell was stationed below the bridge, and he's the only one who heard the splash that night.
Speaker 10: And Campbell probably something probably poundering him, and he probably made up the story just to justify the existence of being on a stake. The point is that if the stamus they said about the stop of what happened in the bridge, cockrrect the only one that does not corrected. That is what Campbell and Jacob said.
Speaker 3: He claimed that most of the FBI statements about the bridge were in fact true, except for two major points, the first being recruit Bob Campbell's account of the splash and the recruit Jacob's accounts of the timing. The second major point was over Wayne's strange story about a girl named Cheryl Johnson.
Speaker 10: The only confusion in the statements was all of the thing on the telephone nob in Cheryl Johnson.
Speaker 11: He tried to persuade the Jerry he really was out near a bridge that night looking for a Cheryl Johnson, who still remains a mystery to this trial.
Speaker 3: The Satan played he fabricated the.
Speaker 12: Story, but Williams didn't much from it, claiming the woman simply gave him a wrong number and wrong address.
Speaker 3: When the FBI asked what he was doing out there, Wayne said he was looking for a woman named Cheryl Johnson who had scheduled an in person interview with him that morning. He told the police he was out checking the address that night. Wayne gave police an alleged phone number for Cheryl Johnson, but later when they tried to call the number, it didn't work. It didn't belong to anyone, But Wayne says the FBI called the wrong number and the reason was his handwriting.
Speaker 10: The number wasn't that four. You will see when you get my riding up on the series was it was four to three, four boys and my naves look alike because I closed Luke top of them.
Speaker 3: The FBI claimed Cheryl Johnson wasn't real, but Wayne Williams agrees. So Cheryl Johnson, when did she originally call you? And what did she say?
Speaker 10: Well, well, she she originally did not call me. She called my mother and my mother left for no I talked to her that they there poor and I and I figured she was a frank call tange. We were doing public auditions of my music company over Entertainment. For some of the accidents are because to ask you learned on the radio and television stations in the newspapers club, you know, in nineteen eighty, you know, the audists were all over there your TV. And that's how she found out. I got the poon them, and like I said, we did probably we took maybe about eight hundred and nine hundred calls and probably did we screened those downs here my two assistants, and we probably did about one hundred and fifty actual interviews or auditions out of that. I even tell the police, I said, the only reason I went out to check the address group because I felt there was a big address. That's why I went out to check it in the first place.
Speaker 3: He said, as a talent scout, you received hundreds of calls during that time, and that every so often he would get a fake caller, and Cheryl Johnson was likely one of them.
Speaker 10: And this is the fun to think about, how why in the world, if somebody was dealing killing people, why would they be doing public cordise.
Speaker 3: That that makes sense, But why was Wayne out checking this address at two in the morning when you was scheduled to meet with her just a few hours later.
Speaker 5: That never made sense to me.
Speaker 8: I mean me being a forty five year old man. If I'm out at two in the morning, if I'm not working and I'm looking for someone's house, Let's be honest, I know what I'm going to do at two in the morning, and it's not the talk record contracts.
Speaker 3: Did the FBI or the police ever find her in real life?
Speaker 13: No?
Speaker 10: And I told him it's probably place had because I'm not even sure that's her name. That was just the name as she gave. We were doing public budlice, a lot of people gave fake names and fake address. That was why what I screaming, So I think all the hoopla over Cheryl toss his peak. You know, I was gonna playing coffee.
Speaker 8: So maybe Wayne was out getting ready to meet someone and got lost. I don't know. Wayne likes to embellish things. I don't know why. But again, I think that was part of Wayne's downfall. Regardless if he told the truth or not, I don't think the outcome would have been different simply because he was on the bridge.
Speaker 3: Do you regret being on the bridge that night? If you could go back and change it, would you not go that way?
Speaker 10: Well, paranalymic to you like this, I'm the type of person. Okay, I'm liable to change my mind.
Speaker 14: He didn't.
Speaker 10: Given time. Everybody said, well do you think it was a conspiracy, but they ought to get you ahead of that. No, that was a conspiracy only after I became a suspect and they have forgotten it involved. Nobody knew I was going to take that route home, not even met that night. That was a spur of the minute. The only thing I regret was going out period that night. You know I should have just took my butt to be it, agreed to it.
Speaker 3: The more do you think that if you didn't go out that night that you would not be.
Speaker 10: In jail right now, absolutely no question. They had to ask the same questions that you're asking me right now.
Speaker 8: I wouldn't be bottom line, living in Fort Hood, Texas. My dad was military, you know. Even then that story was national news about these black kids being murdered in Atlanta. I remember my mom to this day telling me not to go outside, you know, past dark, even in Fort Hood, Texas and Colleen, because they were killing these little kids. Wayne Williams got arrested and got convicted, and that was pretty much it, and.
Speaker 5: Supposedly the murder stopped. And that's what I took it for.
Speaker 8: You know, as a small child, you know, it's just you trust what the police say, you trust what the courts say, and that that was pretty much it, you know. But as I got older, especially when I became a police officer and a private investigator, and I realized this keyword called evidence, then my mindset started changing about the entire case. First, we can't say that the child murders were solved because Wayne was convicted of killing Nathaniel Cater and Jimmy ray Payne, which were adults. So we still have all of these child murders basically unsolved because you can't say it solved if you only convicted him of killing two people. Wayne's a very intelligent guy. I think Wayne's downfall back then was he embellished a lot.
Speaker 5: Wayne wanted to be the center of attention.
Speaker 8: He was calling his own press conferences, which just made him a bigger target than the media.
Speaker 15: Right.
Speaker 8: You know a lot of people that were innocent at this would have just said I had nothing to do with it, and that's it. But I'm convinced it was something totally different that happened.
Speaker 12: Williams bluntly stated the police version of the now famous bridge incident was wrong, a lie. He claimed he wasn't driving slow, that he didn't turn around in a parking lot next to the bridge, that he did not throw anything into the river. The state contends that louds splash was the body of Nathaniel Cater heading the water. Although prosecutors had most of the pieces that night in May, it's still lacked.
Speaker 3: The essential part of the puzzle.
Speaker 12: Someone actually seen William's car stopped on the bridge, or better yet, the suspect throwing a body from the structure.
Speaker 8: Could be something could be, nothing could have been a bird taking off. It could have been a beaver, could have been anything. You got police down there with flashlights immediately, and they see nothing. So that would suggest that Daniel Cator's body as soon as it hit the water, just floated out of sight like a speedboat splash. You shine your lights, now I don't see anything. Why not if it floated down the river and you found it two days later, why wouldn't you see it as it's floating down the river right after its splashed. If you heard the splash and you thought it was a body, why didn't you send divers down there immediately.
Speaker 3: Doctor Blackwelder was there during the trial, so I asked him. He knew about the splash, and.
Speaker 16: The cadet that was under the bridge heard a splash, and it had flashlights and all that shine around, but they never saw anything, so they don't They said it could have been a beaver because there were beavers in that river.
Speaker 5: It could have been a beaver.
Speaker 16: Slapping its tail on the water, or it could have been a body that was throwing off the bridge into the water.
Speaker 2: But he heard a splash.
Speaker 3: I asked Popcorn with the FBI, what was his take?
Speaker 13: Two cadets under the bridge, two regular offices, and chase counts. They were intense underneath the bridge. And the guy that heard the splash had been a high school swimmer and he knew what the sound of a body hitting the water, and he said, that's a body hitting the water. There was a splat, because you know, if you jump up the diving board and you spread eagle and hit the water, you splat. And that's what he heard.
Speaker 16: And he looked, you don't say what was in the water, and did never could see anything.
Speaker 5: Floating in the water.
Speaker 16: And they brought a hydrologist in from the corp of Engineers, and somebody testified that there were a lot of There were a lot of beavers in the river. Hipopsis said, or water ill make a splash, So a.
Speaker 3: Body hating the water sounds like it would be much louder than beaver.
Speaker 2: We've done that.
Speaker 17: I did.
Speaker 2: We did that when I was astrade.
Speaker 16: We would throw bodies they would be dummies, but wouldn't make sure they didn't wade to shine them out by using sand and things like that, because the beaver's saddle is flat, and were just like hit it with a boat paddle and the body wouldn't.
Speaker 8: If it was that the inucator at his stature, wouldn't someone else have heard that.
Speaker 5: It's like going to a.
Speaker 9: Pool, right.
Speaker 8: You may be twenty yards away, but you can hear people diving off the diving board. So this one guy is the only one that hurt us. It's not even logical. Wasn't he like one fifty one sixty? It's a loud splash. Man, If they're spread out the way they say were, there's just no way only one person heard it.
Speaker 1: That was a warning signal to say that danger was around.
Speaker 5: That's the same me.
Speaker 1: Weave a state refuge here whenever they are alarmed.
Speaker 3: I can't help but think a splash from a beaver's tail, which found a whole lot different from a splash from a fully grown human body. So I decided to test it out. The team at house Stuff Works helped me put together the whole experiment. The best option we had was rescue Randy. Randy is an adult sized mannequin used for simulations and training for emergency person though, so when dropped, Randy would fall like a human body. Accurate weight distribution and everything. How do we try to recreate this sound?
Speaker 18: So what we want to do is drop something off the James Jackson Parkway Bridge, something that is roughly the same size and shape of a human body, to see what kind of sound it makes, how loud it is, if we can hear it. If what we're trying to do is find something that we can drop off the bridge. And we've been kind of racking our brains trying to figure out how to approximate a human body. It's not something you can just go to the hardware store and find.
Speaker 19: And we've actually gone through many iterations of this. Like originally we were thinking we might want to try to actually build a body out of like wooden dowels and duct tape and like packing material, and we got kind of far down that path, but then decided, you know, it was just it was not going to really be as flexible as a body the way we wanted it. You know, we were thinking, well, maybe you know, like something like an emergency rescue might have some dummies and things like that, And so we did actually find a fireman's dummy, and they use these in training and like competitions for firemen.
Speaker 5: It just so.
Speaker 19: Happens that the dummy that they make has very similar proportions both height and weight to the deceased within cator.
Speaker 10: Here he is.
Speaker 5: Yeah that's without legs.
Speaker 18: Wow, chunky arms your bat be careful lift with your legs.
Speaker 8: Oh my god, man.
Speaker 3: It's it's doable.
Speaker 15: List.
Speaker 19: Brandy's a very large gentleman. He you know, he does weigh one hundred and forty five pounds, and you know, hearing that, it seems like that's doable. But it's dead weight. You know, the arms flail and the legs flail, and so trying to pick up that mass is actually harder than you would expects.
Speaker 2: Which, oh wow, that is yeah, very correct.
Speaker 19: Wait, ways, you know, if you're adrenaline is up, you're gonna be able to lift more than you know exactly.
Speaker 5: Can't return it if.
Speaker 2: It's a way, So this is ours.
Speaker 19: So we all kind of took turns trying to pick Randy up in to varying degrees of success. But yeah, it was a bit of a hassle.
Speaker 18: Yeah, it's it's not easy. I mean, I Tyler, you could you were able to pick him up? I really wasn't. But yeah, it's way more difficult than you might expect.
Speaker 5: How close is he in height and weight? To Nathaniel Cater.
Speaker 19: So the Corners report and some of the other reporting had Nathaniel Cater's height at five to eleven and weighed at one hundred and forty six pounds, And the Rescue Randy dummy that we ordered has a height of six feet and weighs one hundred and forty five pounds, So we're really in that range of where we want to be. It actually fits quite well.
Speaker 18: The bridge actually straddles two county lines, Fulham County on the south side and Cobb County on the north side, so we have to close the bridge down. We have to get permits from both counties, and.
Speaker 19: On that we found out that we also have to coordinate with the state Department of Transportation. They have to approve it as well. You know, closing a road down is one thing, but dropping a body into the Chatthoochee River is a whole different thing. So we've been coordinating with Army, Corps of Engineers, the Department of National Resources, all these different groups to try to, you know, figure out who we need to essentially get permission from.
Speaker 3: Wayne spoke of a child sex ring that was operating out of a house on Gray Street in Atlanta. He told me that he believed many of these child murders were related to this sex ring.
Speaker 10: We know that another six cases were involved in a homosexual ring going on in Atlanta, Black homosexual ring.
Speaker 3: Vincent Hill has spent the last several years looking into this theory too, and he believes it has some serious merit if.
Speaker 8: You look at old records and old police reports. Uncle Tom Terrell, his friend Jerry Thornton, Larry Marshall. Jerry Thornton told investigators ten of the victims used to hang out at that house, that they would have sex with little boys, and mid would come to that house to pay for sex with these little boys.
Speaker 5: So how do you put that on, Wayne?
Speaker 11: It's been learned that investigators have now found this man Tom Terrell and questioned him today about his role in some type of homosexual ring operated out of this home in northwest Atlanta. That ring apparently involved the latest child victim, Timothy Hill, and through recent findings, may have linked together several other children.
Speaker 3: On the task Force list.
Speaker 11: Terrell knows this man, Larry Marshall, now in a Connecticut jail on armed robbery charges. Investigators also want to question Marshall, but so far he is fighting extradition back to Georgia. The next best thing is this man sitting in a detective's car this morning.
Speaker 20: How many of the murdered children have you seen around here?
Speaker 9: I'm not ten out, I told.
Speaker 20: Jerry Thornton, Larry Marshall's former roommate, identified of the murder victims from pictures shown him by a police investigator. Children he's seen in the neighborhood, among them thirteen year old Timothy Hill, eleven year old Patrick Baltazar, and fifteen year old Joseph Bell.
Speaker 12: This morning, Terrell's house on Gray Street was empty, unlike recent weeks, when neighbors said at any given time several boys would be hanging out here. Terrell is an admitted homosexual, who says one of the victims, Timothy Hill, spent the night at this house a day before he disappeared, and.
Speaker 7: He was here on twelve grades.
Speaker 9: Fool to come back on the thirteenth, and that was my bush.
Speaker 21: Geyahdd. I didn't see him, and I haven't seen him since.
Speaker 8: Back in the eighties, no one was saying, oh, I'm openly gay, and you definitely didn't want to be known as a city that's trading boys for sex. But if you have ten people that have been identified at one house where guys were coming in paying these boys for sex, they were giving them drugs, they were doing all these other types of things. You have all of these people coming to this house trading for sex. How do you put those ten bodies on Wayne Williams? So you tie all these victims to Wayne, but you can't.
Speaker 22: Thirty four year old Larry Marshall, now behind bars in Connecticut, is a known homosexual. He used to hang around this neighborhood on Gray Street. Tom Terrell, who was also a homosexual, said thirteen year old Timothy Hill also used to hang out here, and Larry and Timothy knew each other.
Speaker 3: Larry told you.
Speaker 22: He had Timmy over to his house.
Speaker 9: Oh he's a game there.
Speaker 3: What did they do over there?
Speaker 2: I don't know. They don't be doing them with drinking and talking.
Speaker 22: But you do know for a fact that Larry knew Timmy, he knowed him.
Speaker 8: Patrick Baltazar went missing after being seen at the Omney Hotel. Patrick Baltazar from the Omni to his house to Larry Marshall's house was about one point eight miles. Baltazar would have had to pass Larry Marshall's house on his way home. He's walking home right past Larry Marshall's house. Whose associate it with this pedophile who's selling these boys for sex.
Speaker 12: Marshall is believed to have known at least three of the victims, Patrick Baltazzar, Timothy Hill, and Joseph Bell, who was still missing.
Speaker 8: If you're ten eleven years old, you say, yeah, I'm gonna go tell my mom what you're doing. The heck you are because I don't want to go to jail for rape of a child, so I'll just kill you. When Patrick Baltazar was found, one of the witnesses that morning she said she saw a male white and a green station wagon, you know, just lurking around like towards the wooded area where Patrick was found. Who was a white guy in the green station wagon.
Speaker 6: Baltazar was with a ten year old friend playing near these railroad tracks near the Baltasar home on Foundry Street. Baltasar's friend told Jack Perry a big man in a car started following them and tried to get them to come get in the car with him. Perry taped part of the conversation with the young friend of Patrick Baltazar.
Speaker 21: He take come here, you two.
Speaker 23: Lod and Patrick started to in the car. I grabbed him from my hand. I say, you don't know who that man is. And then when you've gone underhill he said I'd be back. Then me and Patrick ran out and tried to get his tag number, but we couldn't get it.
Speaker 6: They called the Task Force from this phone near the key shop on North Side Drive, according to the young man who was with Patrick Baltazzar. But after Patrick and his friend made the call to the Task Force, they didn't hang around waiting for police. They split up and Patrick was not seen again. We don't know if police sent a squad car to this area, but Jack Perry says he has learned the Task Force talked with Patrick Baltazar's friend just two days ago.
Speaker 17: I'm sure that the Task Force has the same information, so I hope it's beneficial to it.
Speaker 6: I asked Jack why it would take more than a month to follow up on talking to someone who had phoned asking for help, particularly when one of the two children who had called turns up dead.
Speaker 17: It's surprising that they would let this thing go this long. You know, you want to follow up, Avery lead that you had, and I think it's just a break down on communications.
Speaker 6: Jack Perry also has learned that Patrick Baltasar may have intentionally gone back to the area where the man tried to pick him up because Patrick was a street hustler and believed he could get the license number and maybe he could collect the reward.
Speaker 8: There's no coincidence that the FBI had Tom Terrell's house, Larry Marshall's house under surveillance for weeks because of this alleged sex ring. If you follow the trail, you can't call the coincidence that Patrick Baltizard lives here, Larry Marshall lives here, the house where all this sexual activity was here, which also tied to ten other victims, and you can't say, well, it had nothing to do with anything.
Speaker 5: It's impossible.
Speaker 3: In the many years of Vincent's research, he's found a recurring story in the FBI files, a story about a vehicle that didn't belong to Wayne Williams, a blue Nova.
Speaker 8: I know there was talk about a blue Nova, which Wayne didn't drive a Blue Nova. Why didn't police do a motor vehicle record search to tie this blue Nova to somebody other than Wayne? The case about the Blue Nova. The guy had an afro with no glasses. Have you ever seen Wayne without glasses other than his booking photo? Have you ever seen Wayne Williams without glasses? Wayne can't see. So who's this guy with the afro with no glasses? Couldn't have been Wayne? You know, back then, a lot of people said every black person looked like we're talking nineteen seventy nine. I had an afro in nineteen seventy nine, right, my dad had an afro in nineteen seventy nine. And who didn't have an afro that was black in nineteen seventy nine?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 8: That was pre the Jerry Curl when Michael Jackson made that famous. People were walking around with afros. So it very well could have been someone that resembled Wayne because he looked just like that he had an afro. The description wasn't a white guy with red hair.
Speaker 5: He was a black guy with an afro.
Speaker 8: That was probably ninety percent of the black population of Atlanta in nineteen seventy nine nineteen eighty.
Speaker 3: This whole time, I've been wondering if there were any kids that got away that were almost abducted, and if so, were they still around. That's when I met Rodney. He's an Atlanta native, a child living here during the time with the murders. Rodney firmly believes that when he was sixteen, he was almost a victim of the Atlanta child murderer. He shared with me his chilling first hand account.
Speaker 24: I was fifteen, not old enough to work, but six Flags accepted a fake idea which you could get downtown at the time, and put me to work. So I rode the bus from my neighborhood in Southeast Atlanta to downtown.
Speaker 5: There was at the time a Marta.
Speaker 24: Direct shuttle from downtown to six Flags, and all it did was go back and forth from this stop downtown to six Flags, no other stops in between. I would change buses, get on the six Flag shuttle, go to work, get on that shuttle to come back to downtown to go home, and get on my bus, which was the thirty four Cresham that particular day. For whatever reason, by the time I'd gotten off thirty four, aggression walked across from the end of the line and to the six Flags shuttle. I had missed it, and as I'm standing there, this guy approaches me. He was not tall about five to six ish. He was in his mid twenties. He was clean shaven, which was unusual for a black male in the seventies, and he had a short afrow, had a fairly soft voice, so he didn't come across very masculine. He just came off as, you know, a nice guy. He approaches me and he's he's just basically chatting with me, asking if I'm okay, Yeah, I missed my bus. You know, I've got to get to work. And you know, my recollection is that he almost immediately offers.
Speaker 21: Me a ride.
Speaker 24: I'm going that way, There's no problem, you want to ride, drove a Blue Nover. The Blue Nover was was parked on that same street, just down the block. It wasn't far, It was just walking down the sidewalk. I got in his car and off we went to go to six Flags. From downtown. One would go directly to I twenty, which is, you know, maybe a mile or so from that spot. What he did was drove on surface streets heading north away from my twenty. On that ride, as he was talking to me, he offered me a joint. I had never done drugs, and to this day, I don't know if there was anything in it, or I was just new to that and just had gotten really really high. I mean, frankly, I smoked marijuana years after that and very familiar with it. But there was something about that high that was it wasn't just marijuana, that was something else in it. During the course of that ride, he started to fondle me as he was driving over my pants, and I recalled just kind of staring down at what he was doing, just not knowing what was going on, not really communicating with him.
Speaker 5: You know, at fifteen I I had no idea what was going on.
Speaker 24: As we continued down Fulton Industrial, I knew that he would get onto I twenty because we were one exit away from six Flags. Either he'd get onto I twenty, go over into Cobb County, drop me off for six Flags, or he would continue downfalls An Industrial, which if he passed under our twenty heading south, it was no man's land, industrial, warehouses, nothing. And as we were at a traffic light, maybe two blocks from the.
Speaker 5: Entrance to I twenty, it was like a do or die moment.
Speaker 24: And as we were sitting at that traffic light, just out of nowhere, I decided, I'm going to jump out, and I grabbed the door, unlashed the door and opened it and tried to bolt out of the car. Now I didn't have on a seatbelt, but he had the seat cover over his vinyl seats. It had a hole in it, and my Afro pick that was in my back pocket, which was the way we carried him. Then got hung up in his seat cover. And I'm struggling at this light to undo myself from this seat cover as the door is open, trying to escape, and he didn't try to stop me. He just said to me, as I'm struggling, and it was the most eerie, sort.
Speaker 5: Of calm thing by Rodney.
Speaker 24: And I got out of a car and started heading back in the opposite direction, back up the hill toward a bank that I knew was the sort of the last stop for a Marta bus line. I was really out of it, really disoriented, looking out for him to see if he had turned around to come back in that direction.
Speaker 5: He didn't. He continued on.
Speaker 24: And I basically just laid on the grass in front of this bank, waiting on a Martina to come, and finally one did, got on it, went back downtown, got on another bus to go to a relative's house, to my aunt's house, and kind of slept it off during the afternoon, just kind of slept, never told anyone about it. I am convinced that had I stayed in the car, we would not have gone onto I twenty. We would have continued straight south on Fulton Industrial, which you know, would have led into that no man's land outside of southwest Atlanta. And I'm convinced that the way that that happened at that time, that this guy.
Speaker 5: Has some responsibility for some of these murders, if not on.
Speaker 21: Them, you think that you would have been a victim.
Speaker 5: I'm sure of it. It was.
Speaker 24: It was an odd, disturbing thing that happened, but it didn't heard of me until I was an adult and and and had knowledge of the you know, the child murders in general. It didn't dawn on me that, hey, that situation was more than what it seemed to be. And I started connecting the dogs to other things that had happened as the years went by, understanding what went on, you know, what that whole thing about the Atlanta Chilnel murders was about, and the details of the investigation, and you know, it became clear to me that my experience was related to it. You know, by the time I had that realization, now the investigation was over. You know we're talking about you know, being in to late eighties, and so you know, what's the point. What's the way I thought about it? In my mind, the authorities had found their man, the person they intended to put it all on. And you know, what's the point of me seeking out someone who cared in law enforcement to tell my story? What's the point of that? So when I came across this podcast, and you know, you guys were were looking for information, yeah, I decided to offer. It's like, okay, I've got something offer here. I I still don't think law enforcement is interested. I in my mind, I think they consider this a close case. I could be wrong, but that was the way I always looked at it. They were looking to close it and end it then. And I you know, I know of no one in law enforcement who would be interested in reopening or re examining any evidence around this. So you know, why why spend time seeking out someone who would wanna hear what I would have to say.
Speaker 2: Do you think the man who beat you up that day was Wayne Williams.
Speaker 5: No, absolutely not positive of that.
Speaker 3: He sounds similar in description, Yes, similar, similar height, same.
Speaker 5: Hair, clean shaven.
Speaker 24: The photos I've seen of Wayne Williams from that time, he had blemishes on his face that this guy didn't have. So j in the shape of his face was different. This guy was had a slimmer build, more of an oval shaped face. Different in more ways than he was the same, I'll put it that way.
Speaker 3: The night of our bridge experiment had arrived at around midnight. We all headed out to the James Jackson Parkway Bridge and planned to drop rescue Randy right at two am, the same time they heard the splash. Ah, do you hear my voice?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 25: So you have to go to the opposite side of the bridge.
Speaker 10: Hey, hey, there you are, This.
Speaker 19: Is Tyler over. Do you want me to stay down here or come back up over?
Speaker 21: All?
Speaker 12: Right?
Speaker 14: So, and Alex gonna come down to you to follow Pain with the camera.
Speaker 19: Okay, I'll stay down here to get him safely to the spot.
Speaker 14: Yeah, that sounds good. So we want to get a camera on Pain as quick as possible. Then Candler will have his camera up here and at one o'clock now, and I'm hoping we can do the drop right.
Speaker 21: Into its.
Speaker 19: Okay, that sounds good.
Speaker 9: Careful, don't it.
Speaker 15: Okay, that's right here.
Speaker 18: You could pull your truck down where that Georgia power sign is and then we could at least walk him up there and get the dumb onto the back of your truck just to get.
Speaker 21: It back here.
Speaker 5: Quicker. Does that makes sense?
Speaker 18: Yeah, yeah, we're kind of approaching things as if we might not get a chance to do it again.
Speaker 24: Sketch.
Speaker 19: It's I mean, it wobbles a bit, but it's it's in the play of the joints. I don't think it's like the bass feels stable.
Speaker 21: M h kayak body, I'm go moor with Okay, you guys, get up there up here, back your.
Speaker 3: Action, okay. Atlanta Monster will be a ten episode podcast, So there's four episodes left. Here's a preview of what's to come.
Speaker 26: One of my attorneys, Lynn Watley, received a package on his doorstep US anonymous package that it contained hundreds of GBI fials about a classified investigation into White supremacit involvement in the Atlantic killings. It also contains several tape recorded confessionals, some of the lands they admitted and they were involved in the murder of some of the missing and murdered pieces.
Speaker 15: I don't want to tell anything because my wife right now is you're nervous. We've been through this before my name was put out there and it was a scurry ordeal. Family spent a few weeks in a hotel, just had of being scarce. And I don't know you from Adam. It's a story that I've held on to for a long time that I've known about. I don't know how you want to go about this, Dame.
Speaker 3: You can always come here to the office that we have at pont I'd rather not.
Speaker 9: You wouldn't think here in this little sleepy town that he was any kind of monster, or he certainly didn't act like it until he drank and then he got the eyes of Charles Manson. I don't know. I don't know where it should go from here. I know that there were some wrongs that should probably be righted there his family still suffering. Anybody out there he thinks that Wayne Williams didn't do all this by himself, is correct? If I only know that from the mouth of the devil. I'm sorry that I did not come come forth.
Speaker 3: Sooner Atlanta Monster is an investigative podcast told week by week, with new episodes every Friday. A joint production between How Stuff Works and Tenderfoot TV. Original music is by Makeup and Vanity Set. Audio archives courtesy of WSB News, Film and Videotape Collection, Brown Media Archives, University of Georgia Libraries. For the latest updates, please visit Atlantamonster dot com or follow us on social media. One last thing, We've set up an Atlanta Monster tipline. Anyone with information, leads, or personal accounts pertaining to the Atlanta Child Murder can call us and leave a message. The number is one eight three three two eight five six six six seven. Again, that's one eight three three two eight five six six sixty seven.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening, Goss Rason.
Speaker 27: Yeah real well no now this uh yeah, that metal card okay, this metal car.
Speaker 5: That was not that was not there.
Speaker 16: No, it wasn't there. Huh Now that that was just a concrete up about this high. Probably, Yeah, you wouldn't think that it sounded like a I would think that if I was out there listening, that I could tell the difference between a beaver and a body. But I've never heard of beaver hit it, so I don't know what they sound like. But a beaver's tail wasn't there as be near as big as the body of a man, and you would think it could probably tell