Speaker 1: Welcome to another episode of Civic Cipher. I'my host Ramsay's job.
Speaker 2: Most people call me q Ward.
Speaker 3: There are a couple of people that call me Quintin, and I've started to notice the young people call me mister Quintin, which is really not sitting well with me.
Speaker 2: We're gonna have to figure out how to.
Speaker 1: I don't know if I gotta start dressing different or what.
Speaker 3: But I had a couple of twenty something it's called me mister Quintin today and I'm like, wait now, wait.
Speaker 2: It's because you can like it's like the crossing signal. Wait. I'm like, I'm mister, I don't hold on now, mister. Yeah, mister is my dad. I was not ready. Uh well, these were young adults calling me mister Quintin.
Speaker 1: Hey man, you know it's bound to happen, man, so uh you know, take it every come. But yeah, man, Uh, glad to be back in here. What you're doing another episode of Civic Cipher. Of course you got a lot to talk about today. Uh. I got to mix back today, mixed bag. Uh. You know, we got to talk about the written House verdict, Yes, written House Verdict. Last week we weren't able to touch on that because of our recording schedule and you know the way you know our our our airing schedule, but definitely going to dive into that.
Speaker 2: And then of.
Speaker 1: Course we got the verdict from the Amad Aubrey trial as well, so we're gonna examine that. Uh So, so for those that didn't know, that's why I meant we got a mixed bag today and another couple of things that I feel are going to be pretty informative our way black history. Fact, we're gonna examine the origins of policing in this country, and uh lots of other neat little things to stick around for. So, like we always do at this time, let's not dawdle any further and get into some ebony excellence. That sound good to you, Q, Let's go right. So today we're going to talk about a young lady named Deja Taylor. Shout out to the whole Taylor gang one time if you don't mind, and I'll read this briefly. At just seventeen years old, Deja Taylor became a nationally recognized scientist by creating color changing sutures that detect infection. Her invention was centered around equity her main career focus and making this life saving medical technology accessible to everyone. And basically what she uses is beats and they change colors at different pH levels, and what they'll do is they'll let you know if there's an infection because of the acidity and the skin versus the acidity of an infection or something like that. But the long and the short of it is, her research project landed her among the top forty finalists in the Regeneron Science Talent Search, the country's oldest and most prestigious science and math competition PRIGH school seniors, and she's currently seeking a patent for her invention and plans to continue her research to ensure these life saving sutures help people. Desia recently graduated from Iowa City West High School in Iowa City and we'll be attending the University of Iowa in the fall. And of course she is black and so she Yeah, this week's exchame is the truth, absolutely, and I wish you could.
Speaker 3: I was when I was seventeen, rams, I was at Meyer. I don't know if y'all even heard of that story, but I was at Meyers trying to find stuff from my dorm room.
Speaker 4: This young lady is changing the world as a scientist, inventing things to actually change the world, and that I was trying to I was trying to find a shower.
Speaker 1: Caddy. Well, that's the reason why we wanted to make sure to give credit where it's definitely in eb Any. Excellent shout out to Dajah Taylor. So moving on first things first, Kyle Rittenhouse, you and I have avoided talking this whole week because I knew that you wanted to. You had a lot of feelings about the written House trial. So, in brief, how do you feel about the verdict?
Speaker 5: So we had not spoken about this because you wanted the first time I talked about it to be on our show.
Speaker 2: Yes, but one thing I did express to you.
Speaker 5: Was that I would not be able to expe rest on our show how I.
Speaker 2: Actually feel.
Speaker 6: Because our show has to be able to be broadcast on the radio, and some of the things that I want to say and some of the things that I.
Speaker 2: Feel would not be appropriate on FCC airwaves. So I'll start with saying something that may sound very obvious and simple, and that's just that I'm really really disappointed.
Speaker 5: I'm having a harder and harder time being positive, being optimistic, being hopeful.
Speaker 2: When I have so much evidence presented to me that I'm being foolhearted and thinking that things like justice and fairness for to think that there's a level of accountability that will ever be prescribed.
Speaker 5: To people like Kyle Ritnhou's okay, and the idea that this kid's mother would put him in the car with an assault rifle, drive him to a protest, have him murder people him, walk by the police with the murder reapon, make it home safe and sound, go to trial and be acquitted of all charges. I wish I could say it was the most insane and ridiculous thing I'd ever seen or heard. Unfortunately is not. Unfortunately, before the verdict was read, I knew what it was going to be, and there shouldn't have even been a chance of that being true. You and I had discussions before. When we say black lives matter, and when we protest and when we ask for justice and fairness, we are not saying treat other people more harshly. We're saying, have the same grace, have the same understanding, the same compassion, and the same empathy for us. And that's why we always draw conclusions and give examples of any story like this one where Kyle is not a white man, a white kid, but a black kid. And we know how that would have turned out, because we've seen black kids get murdered by police officers. We're playing with toy guns. Kyle rittenhouse, after murdering people, got to walk by police with the murder weapon, and I think be given a bottle of water and be saluted and greeted. And then after murdering people, treat it like a hero, going to bars and to clubhouses and shaking hands and posing for pictures, throwing up white supremacy signs, and then he gets to go to court and pretend that he's so remorseful that he can't contain his tears. That crying performance he did where there were no actual tears, but a lot of noise and a lot of performance. When that was not laughed at, right, when that was not pointed out as a performance that looked ridiculous but accepted as a kid that was really sorry, it was very clear to me how it.
Speaker 2: Was going to play out. And I am trying to remain as subdued and calm because I think the way that we speak about this will only be received if it's spoken in this tone, I can't yell and curse like I want to, because the level of anger, the lingual of the level of discouragement, the level of just emotional exhaustion that comes with watching things like this happened over and over again, it starts to feel like, Okay, so who am I even talking to here? What am I even doing here? Are we and people like us making any difference at all?
Speaker 1: Well, let me let me add let me let me jump in right here. So for me, I'll say the same thing. You know, I wasn't surprised by it based on how the judge was handling the situation. And then now there are people on the other side that said the judge was being fair right when but you know, there are a lot of examples that suggest that the judge might have been partial toward you know, a viewpoint that is similar or consistent to those of written house. Right. But in terms of where do we go from here, I want to take a moment on our show because this show does exist in the spaces where it exists to empower folks who are or have been in the past or will be in the future. Allies to black people, to brown people, to all people right to fight alongside their brothers and sisters a fight that is not necessarily theirs, right, And what we see here is I'm saying this just to be funny because it doesn't exist. But what we're seeing here is white on white crime. The reason why it resonates with you and me is because we know that those people who lost their lives and the other person who was shot, the reason they were out there was to protest, was to stand up for the mistreatment of black people by the police. And you know, for those people to come out there because Jacob Blake was shot in the back and say this was wrong. You should not do this to these people. These are our countrymen, these are our brothers and sisters. For them to show up and fight a fight that wasn't theirs and to lose their lives on that quote unquote battlefield for us, for my son, for my sons, for your son and your daughter. I feel like on our show, we need to take a moment and salute those people who have been are currently and would be allies to black and brown people. To acknowledge how scary that must feel, to know that the precedent has been set that a person who in theory would be a mass shooter, who else walks around with an assault rifle, you know, other than a mass shooter, you know, or a soldier in a foreign country, But that person could end your life for standing up for your brother Ramses and your brother q Ward and their children. It could end your life and walk away from it because of some manufactured sense of fearing for your life or whatever the case is. I acknowledge that it must be a scary time for our white allies and for people whose fight this isn't you know, it's not your fight, And I wanted to say thank you, keep the faith, stay strong, and in this moment, I'm standing with you. I'm gonna keep that energy. I remember you all, you different people, people with turbans, people that didn't speak the language, people from all from all walks of life out there marching in twenty twenty. I remember that. So when one of our soldiers fall, you show up. How about this one of your soldiers fall? I show up? And I know it's not the same with the ranks, you know, in terms of you know, white folks or whatever. That's just kind of a it might feel a little different, but you know, I'm gonna keep that energy. Nonetheless, I'm gonna acknowledge what happened, and I'm going to say that my heart goes out to anybody that's feeling a little bit more scared, feeling a little bit more vulnerable, and reminding you how much we appreciate you. Those people that lost their lives, I have their names here. Matter of fact, hold on the man with the gun that lived. His name is Gauge Gross Cruits. I want to say thank you for him, you know, he and you know, it's funny because you know, on the right they say, you know, the only thing, the only thing that could stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun, and he had a he got shot, he lived. We did to have a gun. And so everybody trying to villainize that guy on the right, you know, for doing exactly what they preach, is that's kind of hypocritical. But there was a thirty six year old named Joseph Rosenbaum and a twenty six year old named Anthony Huber, and they both lost their lives trying to make the world a better place, shouting black lives matter. In the last few moments of their lives and for me, that needs to be acknowledged. And you know, I salute you while I have this moment. There's another couple of names. I you know, before we had this show, I would, you know, do little posts here and there on Facebook or whatever else, just to make sure that you know, people knew. And I know that all these people these names I'm mentioning. You know. I don't know if my voice transcends, you know, to the afterlife, you know, but you know, I want you to know that your life is more and your death. But I will say your name. Heather Hayer, who was the thirty two year old woman who died in Charlottesville when the when the man drove his I think it was a charger or a challenger or something into a crowd of protesters. This was the tiki torch when that day happened in Virginia. I went to her college and I saw where she had her last moments, you know, and she she was out there protesting for black people as a white woman. She lost her life that day fighting a fight that was not her fight. And I appreciate her and I want to say her name on the show. Summer Taylor. She was twenty four years old when she lost her life and she was hit by a car that ran through a barricade in Seattle. You remember when folks used to get on the freeway and slow down traffic just to bring attention to what was happening. You know, she's the one that paid for her for that with her life on that day. White woman again, Summer Taylor, if my boy transcends, you know, just I know y'all hear me in speakers or whatever. I might sound a little crazy, but you know, I salute you, Summer. I appreciate your sacrifice, and I appreciate you know, what you stood for and what you felt for, and you deserve to be remembered and acknowledged. And maybe other folks ain't doing it, but you know, I want to make sure that you know, we take a moment to just say thank you to people who are not black who are championing, helping champion a black agenda or a fair agenda. You know, it's not necessarily a black agenda. It's a human agenda. But you know, these people pay for with their lives. And again, your life is more than your death. Anyway, back to Rittenhouse, So now that we've acknowledged you know what's happened there, I'm gonna take you through the things that I felt were kind of funny. Style. So the jury has one black person, and I know in that part of the country, maybe it's not the population, doesn't you know, skew that way, and you know the court system, you know, there's a lot you know. The thing is, courts systems are wildly inconsistent across the board. You know, we're talking about this day because you know, in the next half of the show we have to talk about them ade Aubrey, which for most folks who see the world the same way we do, would say that that's a desirable outcome. But the jury has one black person, you know. The the judge said that the prosecutors could not refer to deceased victims to the deceased as victims, but the defense could refer to them as arsonists and looters, which may or may not have been.
Speaker 2: True and rioters.
Speaker 1: Sure, you know, so that that shows you a little bit of bias there, I mean, to me, a lot of bit of bias. So I mean, I'm just trying to be a little conservative because they got a long list. You know, the picture paints itself when the judge dismissed the underage weapons charge because of a hunting exemption. And I don't believe this man was out there hunting, you know, but that no, he was hunting, but you know, hunting animals. You know what I'm trying to say.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's why you drive across state lines with an AR fifteen to hunt.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: The crazy thing is that I forgot what the defense said, but they said something to the effect of or sorry, the prosecution. They said something to the effect of, you can't claim self defense from a like a an incident that you created, you know, And this guy's.
Speaker 7: Run up on somebody with your gun. Yeah, they defend themselves and you shoot them and then say that's self defense for you, and and and then when you frame them of the country member. This is twenty twenty. Now we're two years after. You know, they're being a mass shooting every week. But when we're one year passed it, everybody was waiting for the next one, and a lot of us in the streets was like, yo, one of these dudes is going to show up with a with an AR and try to mow us down. Out here marching with these signs, right, So I know that that's what these folks had to be thinking as soon as they saw this kid with his hat turned back, you know, and is ar fifteen walking around the streets. Oh my god, he's going to start killing people. We need to take action, right, And then that's exactly what the right suggests that you do. You know, the only thing that could stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun. Or you know, if I would have been there, I would.
Speaker 1: Have you know. So it's it's it feels very unfair.
Speaker 2: And then another thing, of the men, one of the men who tried to stop here from killing people, is now being charged.
Speaker 1: See I didn't even know that. Oh okay, I'll save that for another show. Well man, we well listen. Okay, Well back to the judge. So the judge's phone it rang with God Bless the Us. Say. This is something that they talked about in a lot of the articles it you know, it's a very patriotic ring ring tone rather and you know, we talk about that a lot on this show. You know, we're Americans, proud to be American until we get around some like people. That's like to the n degree American, and you start feeling a little uncomfortable because they have a different sense of what America is than you know, folks like us. We feel like America is where we live. They feel like America is where they live and where we have encroached upon their you know, something like that.
Speaker 2: Think we think America is where we live and where we're from. They think America is who they are.
Speaker 1: Thank you for saying that.
Speaker 2: Very very different mindset.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that would have never got it that good. He nailed that. And so when you hear that the judge has this really ultra patriotic ringtone, okay, that tends to be associated with folks who are very conservative, very right wing, right leaning First Amendment, Second Amendment, you know, those sorts of folks. And it feels like the judge really fixed this trial up to give him the best possible outcome. And you know, there was a lot that people made a big deal out of. Okay, they drew names for the jewors from hat to whatever. The judge was like, you I do that every trial. You know, there's a lot of things that they tried to pick apart with the judge and he was like nope, I'm consistent across the board. He was allowed to hide behind that. But these things I think should have made a much bigger deal out of it, because I think those really helped paint the picture of Okay, are we going to see some accountability here or is this a child he was at the time going to be able to murder people and get off with it, And you know, they're championing this guy like he's just the second coming. And the crazy thing about it. As soon as he got released he was like, yeah, man, I'm a big fan of BLM, And I was like, really, you know, it could have fooled me. He was out there with an AR fifteen to defend a business that wasn't his, that was empty, an empty I think it was an empty used car.
Speaker 2: Lot in the city and state that he didn't live in.
Speaker 1: He didn't live in that wasn't his. In't that wild? And the thing is two human beings, their heart is not beating anymore. They're buried in the ground now or otherwise creamating extinguished, life extinguished, and no accountability for that. And it's such a hurtful thing because I recognize that we have a way to go to get where everything is kumbaya and peaceful and copasetic across the board, and all the systems that are oppressive have been dismantled and challenged in ways that have caused them to, you know, mature and be more beneficial to more people. Right. But on this journey, we need folks to be allies to us. And what this does is this causes even our allies to stop and say, WHOA all this privilege I thought I was sharing with my black and brown brothers and sisters. You know, it does have a you know, if I come up against a conservative judge, my privilege doesn't go beyond me being liberal, you know. And that's a part that's really scary and a part you know, I don't I don't want to just look at it like it's politics. I really do want to heed the gravity of the loss of human life in this situation and just make sure that we acknowledge that. But you know, this is another page in the book of America. You know, Ojay, When oj got off, a lot of people were upset about that. When this guy gets off, a lot of people are upset about that. And for better or worse, we're writing the story where These are the times of our lives. You know, these are the days of our lives, to quote a popular saying. And you know it's up to us to not be disheartened. It's up to us to acknowledge feel and you know, forge ahead, and hopefully we'll continue to do that together as brothers and sisters. You know that's always going.
Speaker 2: To be I try my best, but it's hard, it.
Speaker 1: Is, but that's all that's really all we got. And you consider the alternative is to roll over and die, but stick around your radios. We'll coming back with more cific cipher right after this