Speaker 1: All media. How much a dollar cost.
Speaker 2: That's the phrase we use to explain when we're about to talk about some economics.
Speaker 1: Obviously we have to talk about.
Speaker 2: Turff's Outheast DC East capital projects.
Speaker 1: That's where my mama from.
Speaker 2: You know, obviously I'm West Killer Kelly West Coast LA Native, but my mama from the district. You know what I'm saying. I got an aunt Caroling, Really I do.
Speaker 1: It's her. It's the third oldest of her siblings. No.
Speaker 2: Aunt Curling's son was named arn Come on, now, everybody from the DNV stand up, you feel me. My mama from the district. That's why I'll be making all the tarOf jokes. Gotta take care of your mother and your father. That's out for these bamas out here. You know what I'm saying where these Bama's from. Look, man, listen to go go.
Speaker 1: This one thing is got me dripping.
Speaker 2: Don how much a dollar cost? It was a song on Pimple Butterfly was where the name how much? I'm saying this for all the new people who just may have just joined the show because the show is growing. Finally, thank you for sharing the show with the hommies where I'm like I'm really trying to make this thing crack. So please, I never do the like and subscribe, you know what I'm saying, leave a comment, but like, please, good god. It was a song onto Pimp a Butterfly, which has more to do with like, you know, kind of like selling out for fame. You know that money is so important that like so basically the price you paid for that money you got was your soul is the concept of the song. But the way I'm using it is that, yeah, it takes money to make money. So every dollar has a price on it, and it's not just a dollar. When my daughter when she was like getting a little older and started asking for us to you know, she wanted to go to in and Out and Chick fil A.
Speaker 1: She's wanted to go out to eat every day.
Speaker 2: I needed to explain to her that trying to explain to her that like people get paid hourly, you know, for the amount of work it takes for us to be able to buy that ten dollar meal. You know, like if you're doing minimum wage, with minimum wage out here twenty two bucks an hour, like so if it's like okay, then your eleven dollar meal is a half hour work, right, so you know you want to do that, and then you want to stop for some jamva juice, and then you want to like, you know, get ice cream later on and then get do sheh. At the end of the day, it's like, okay, well that equals that those dollars cost time?
Speaker 1: Right? How much does the collar cost?
Speaker 2: And that time is time away from you like that Mommy and Daddy have to go to work to it. So that's how much that cost. Now, it wasn't so that she would not like ask us for stuff. It was more just for her to understand, you know.
Speaker 1: The value of a dollar. You know what I'm saying, Like, how much is that worth? For you?
Speaker 2: In more street sense, it's like how much is your backpack worth? How much is your bike worth?
Speaker 1: Is it worth?
Speaker 2: This fade you finna get when somebody can run up and say, borrow your bike right quick?
Speaker 1: I remember, like you have to look.
Speaker 2: I used to have to look them votos in the face and be like, I'll die for this backpack.
Speaker 1: Of course I won't die for the backpack.
Speaker 2: But that's how much would this backpack cost?
Speaker 3: You?
Speaker 1: Still in my backpack?
Speaker 2: Yeah, the backpack's like twenty five thirty fifty dollars. But I'm willing to run a fade over a fifty dollars thing. It's gonna cost me way more than the price of this backpack, But what I receive in that is safe passage the next time.
Speaker 1: I would like to walk.
Speaker 2: Through my own neighborhood to get home. How much a dollar cost? Today we're gonna talk about how much these tariffs are really gonna cost.
Speaker 1: How much a dollar costs? The Trump versus.
Speaker 2: Everybody addition hood politics, y'all.
Speaker 1: Hey, how's everybody doing.
Speaker 2: This is the first Monday of the month, which means that yesterday was the first Sunday. Thank you for y'all who pulled up to Real Ones. One of you said was like, yo, I'm a fan of the show. I was like, word, that's why you hear? That's dope, man. I hope that for what a good time. I forgot your name. I apologize, but I'm so glad you pulled up and enjoyed yourself. I'm trying to see this year for all these worlds to combine, like the rap world, for which please listen to this. If you're listening to this Wednesday this week, that means Friday, you would have in your hands the first single of the new music I'm rolling out called Passion Project. Matter of fact, Matt Alsowski, why don't you throw a little little snit bit of Passion Project out this mug right here?
Speaker 1: I wait, I get it.
Speaker 2: I wish they learned to listen a goal when that's the million, your blessings and my children, though, change their direction effective ast penicilin your project, you'll probably repeat these syllableles, spin a pool all, drive out a sentinel.
Speaker 1: Why thank you, Passion Project?
Speaker 2: I got dnal Gwan and Genni Bowle's perfect start, creases in my dinner, Moore my linen bro practicing diligence.
Speaker 1: You know what a couple of young.
Speaker 2: Leans offended by your incellence in hebritage passion that.
Speaker 1: Me and stick past them.
Speaker 2: While we all know that Spotify does not pay well, it pays way more when you own the masters and I own the Masters, So stream away. But yeah, all right, I'm gonna talk to y'all. Let me let me lay the day out, because it's definitely teach your prop Now. I'm pretty sure y'all haven't seen and heard, because that's all everybody talking about. Besides the if you and our if you in our social space, the hands off my democracy protests, which I'm a little I'm a little out of the loop about it because it seems as though overall the black community sat this one out. It was like, y'all are already erasing Black lives matter. But we tried to tell you, okay, it's your turn. Where we at? We we got you the civil right, like, come on, fam, We tried to tell y'all. Told y'all that we told you they was coming for you. Now is yo your turn? You go march? We been marching now I'm all about solidarity among suffering folks. This got a fuddy though. What I'm saying is if you not, if your news ain't talk about that, if y'all apparently y'all done talking about what the hell that thing? Oh the Signal HUTHI group, And you know what I Sawbody sent me a clip from Joe Rogan show where whoever they had on that Let me let me find who they had on that thing, because like somebody actually made a humane statement, you know what I'm saying, which you don't get much. So I'm really Dave Smith, whoever the hell that is was on Joe Rogan and he was like, look, dude, the thing that bothers me was how like do none of you, like all of y'all are okay with this? I understand, how how are all of you okay with this? Are we ignoring one of the open statements when they said, oh, we found the guy we're looking for. He just walked into this apartment building. Let's bomb the apartment building, y'all are nobody has an objection. Nobody has an objection with First of all, Yemen is the poorest country in the Middle East who's already locked into a civil war and it's really not our problem, like we and we're bombing them to help Israel because the whu this feel like this senseless war against the people the gods that they trying their best at the fen in Naomi and we just gonna bomb. We're gonna bomb a whole ass apartment building. This guy Dave was like, do none of y'all believe there's a god like even if like at least some semblance in that, like, maybe this god or the universe gonna have something to say about the fact that you bomb in these people, Like you're really like openly killing innocent people. Obviously a lot of us feel like, well that question has been at and answered a long time ago, or we wouldn't have been in this place in the first place. Speaking to Gaza, y'all see this anti apartheid club our shirt.
Speaker 1: I'm rocking here.
Speaker 2: But if you're on the if you're on the Ears edition, please go follow Pali Roots. They did not ask me to do this. My homeboy Jared out in New Zealand, who's like one of the most well informed educated, just an incredible, incredible, Like sometimes I feel like this man talking circles around me. I've never had nobody be able to explain justice to me, especially a white boy, like I mean, he's incredible. But he put me onto the Pali Root Roots. They slang merch and feed Palestinian children. It's really simple. So yeah, speaking of a senseless war in God, since we done talk about that. Now we talking about our own money. We might as well do some lessons here now caveat. Like I've said many times when I was taking the Sea set, which is the single subject education credentially to be able to teach in California, since I taught social sciences, to three part tests, and each part has two parts, has three parts. There's an essay, there's whatever. When it got to the economics one, I failed that mug three times because of the stuff we about to talk about again in here.
Speaker 1: This is our review.
Speaker 2: If you've been a fan of the show, economics at least the way we talk about it don't make sense to me. It seems like you're making this way more difficult than it needs to be. To me, economics was simple. Don't spend money you ain't got. I don't know, Spend less than you make, make more than you spend. If you're going to invest, you want to make sure you sell it for more than you bought it for. It just seems like, I don't know, don't spend money you ain't got. It seemed real simple to me. Apparently there are terms for all that, and there are charts to measure it. It just don't make sense to me, Like, I don't understand why you need all these words to say that. And you start getting than the speculation where you're saying, I think this is going to cost this much. What when people say they're worth a billion dollars, but that's what you believe when you add all their assets together, that's like, so it's imaginary. Well how much money you got in your bank? They'd be like, well, ten thousand dollars. I'm like, nigga, and that's how much money you got. I don't understand how you could be worth a billion dollars, but you had to take it. You got this private jet, but you got to take out a mortgage to be able to pay the gas. Then like, you ain't got Like my grandma used to say, as long as somebody owe you money, you'll never be broke. So what they say is, I'm like, well, then you don't go to borrow somebody else's money. I'm like, you can't owe a billion dollars and say you have a billion dollars, you have no money if you owe a billion, Like that's the way I thought.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: That's probably why I'm not rich, because to me, I was like, I don't understand his works. And then you have this economic theory called the everyday man. And the everyday man is like the average person. So when you read these charts, it's calibrated to what they would call the average person. The only problem with the average person is nobody is that person because that person is not an age.
Speaker 1: It's between the age of that person.
Speaker 2: Don't live in a particular city, they live in any town city. They got two point five kids. Nobody on the planet ever, in the existence of human beings, has had half a child.
Speaker 1: That's just not I like.
Speaker 2: So, why are all of your models based on a human that none of us can be? That just does it. I don't understand. Your whole system don't work if no one can no one is the average, Well you at it all together. I'm like, that don't make sense to me. I'm just supposed to accept that the calibration of this thing is a person that none of us are. When you start saying the economy is good, you mean the line go up, so that means the economy bad when the line go down. It seemed to me like because of these tariffs, you're telling me that Trump and Zuckerberg and Bezos and old Elon have lost a billion dollars. It looked like they life ain't no different. That's an imaginary number. I don't understand how that line means money. Like, this is why it It was so hard for me. So when you say the economy good or the economy bad. I'm like, either way, I can't afford the head. Even when you said the economy was good, these eggs cost too much. Now you say the economy bad, the ad price of the eggs ain't change. The only way we're affected is when you is. When the line go up, y'all make money. When the line go down, y'all start downsizing and firing people.
Speaker 1: It's imaginary money. I just don't understand.
Speaker 2: So that's how we affected is we lose jobs because your imaginary line went down. I've since learned that it's a lot more to it than that. But this is why I failed it three times because I was trying to. I was like, make it make sense. You have to to understand economics. You have to suspend reality in the same way of accepting when you watched Game of Throne, you just accepted a world that had dragons, like the dragons were just a part of the universe that like was so as a matter of fact, that like nobody we weren't even like we weren't even it's not even the point of the show. You just have to accept it. So to understand the stuff I'm finna talk about there's a little bit of like you have to suspend reality. But once you suspend reality of like these numbers don't seem like real number, then it all starts making sense. And then you could see how things that are imaginary actually do affect us, like borders they're made up, and specifically money. It's not real, but it's real when the bill collects this call. Now let's get a crack at home boy. First, I'm gonna say what is a tariff? I'm gonna say what Trump thinks this is gonna do? And then counterpoint and then how the rest of the world dropped a clap back? You guys ready Trump versus everybody.
Speaker 1: Let's dive in, all right, tariffs.
Speaker 2: The question when you're a teacher oftentimes is like how far back into the rabbit hole do you go? Especially history, it's like where do you start the story? Because everything has context, But let's put it all together, right this like this for us to understand where we get into today. So tariffs, you have to step back and think about industrial revolution and creating products in industry to try to get your weight up, and then trying to sell that to the rest of the world. When you're a brand new baby country, a brand new babyhood, a brand new anything.
Speaker 1: You need to learn how to get.
Speaker 2: Your what you're gonna make, what you're gonna be good at, and how you're gonna make some bread. But since you the new kid on the block, people been making stuff the whole time, but you trying to get into the game. So the only way to get into the game is you gotta get your weight up. You gotta make something you got. You gotta develop a product that the rest of the world needs or can't get anywhere else. I know, when I be making music, one thing I always have to remind myself is like, what's my unfair advantage?
Speaker 1: What do I have?
Speaker 2: What do I have to offer that you can't get from any other album? You know, there's one hundred thousand songs uploaded to the strength to like DSP's a day.
Speaker 1: So I'm like, how do you get through the noise? Well?
Speaker 2: I have to offer something or I have to try to offer something. Nobody else will. It's all just still just rap music. But like why meat? So when you're you're a baby, young scrappy country, hell my god, right, youre trying to get in the game because apparently you can't just enslave people and make money from cotton, because that's racist.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, you have to figure out how to make other stuff.
Speaker 2: You can't just export human now you want and you want your people to buy your stuff. But sometimes the people as they were then are now like they stuff, and they like they stuff for cheap. So if I could get a better product somewhere else, I don't care how young and scrappy your government is or your country is.
Speaker 1: That don't make no difference to me. I need a pot because.
Speaker 2: You remember, before the Industrial Revolution, most people made their own stuff, or you had a blacksmith that like lived a few barns down, like you made your own clothes. There wasn't a mass manufacturing of any Everybody made their own stuff, and then you just traded among each other.
Speaker 1: Was it a big deal? Once our world got connected? Right?
Speaker 2: Once we started like just at an exponentially alarming rate, just started extracting minerals from the ground, figuring out thanks to uh, you know, our Nazi friend Henry Ford, to put together an assembly line, and you can make things with just replaceable parts, where like widgets, it's like I don't need just I don't need a blacksmith to make a bespoke custom perfect screw like this. No, you just make interchangeable parts. I make a million of those screws and then a million of those bolts. You just have them in a bucket, and they could make anything. You know what I'm saying, Like everything stopped being bespoke, right, But you trying to get your weight up. You know, we building these factories, we look we trying to get We trying to get on a map too, But the rest of the world had a head start.
Speaker 1: So at this point, almost.
Speaker 2: Everything once you know, once the world got more connected, most of the stuff we was getting and given and stuff like that, they had such a head start on us. It was like, well, well, how do we get our people to buy our stuff? So we say, well, we can't beat they prices. And it's kind of not fair because these people getting the hell of wealthy based on our appetite, but they not buying our stuff, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: So what do I do?
Speaker 2: Will you set up these things initially to protect your industries? Now, I want you to remember that you're trying to protect your own industries and by doing that, while you are working to get your quality together as like a temporary thing to be Like hold up, man, Like we need a chance to catch up, y'all just can't just like this is our market, like this is our buyer base, Like give me a second. If you just gonna sell to them, like I'm never gonna catch up. So like you know what, dude, Like we're the ones running all the infrastructure here. We don't want hire in these people. We don't want giving them the money, giving them their money to be able to buy the stuff from you.
Speaker 1: Anyway.
Speaker 2: We paying for the street lights, we're paying for the police, We're paying for all this stuff.
Speaker 1: We're not getting no return from it as a government.
Speaker 2: So if you just gonna come over here and make money, like I need a percentage of that. And this is why I say every gangster understands terror.
Speaker 1: Right now. Big U was in the news.
Speaker 2: If you follow culture like I do, big U is a famous for all in sixty crip who got out, and he started a lot of gang intervention programs for which I have directly been been affected by in a good way.
Speaker 1: He got out.
Speaker 2: I was a little I was definitely a little older by the time he got out, but a lot of the love hummies, even you know, dudes that would have continued down routes that would have really ended their lives kind of got involved in his programs, you know what I'm saying, And that like so as far as like the connection to the community, I owe a lot to his programs. Now, I'm saying this as somebody that's not a gang member, and you have to remember with gangs.
Speaker 1: They also have rivals.
Speaker 2: So just because this one person is getting a certain amount of like community, notoriety or publicity or exceeding, they have enemies. In addition to what he was doing is he had sort of like an entertainment wing where he was managing a lot of artists and not the least of which was Nipsey Husk because Nipsey was also a Rolling sixty cript. Now, there's a tradition in California called checking in. Now, I remember in Detroit they used to have like the no Fly Zone, Like this was a famous thing in Detroit where they told rappers like don't come here, and before if you gonna come here doing the show here, we need to make a percentage. You need to put one of our artists on every time. And if I see you have a show. If I see your name on a flyer and it ain't no Detroit artists on here, I'm taking your whole bag and we taking over the show.
Speaker 1: OLG and Detroit charged the tariff.
Speaker 2: If you are coming here to make some money off your music, you need to put our artists on your bill. And if you don't, I'm shutting down and I'm taking your money.
Speaker 1: Just check in with us.
Speaker 2: We'll make it work out so that now this is mutually beneficial. Our guys are making a little more money. You know what I'm saying, You're because you're not just gonna use our city to fill your pot. Check it in out here. I bring up big you because uh he had a podcast called checking In, and he talked often about the importance of when you come to California, you have to check in. Now what that sould to to these young dumb rappers who are trying to who want to get you know, they want to go down to the hood and you know, you want to shoot a music.
Speaker 1: Video down there. You want lo los, you know what.
Speaker 2: I'm saying, Like you want to you want to you know, you know what I'm saying. You want to look like you outside like you like you real out here. But most importantly, you don't want your chain snatch. You don't want to get robbed the second you get to the hotel. Because here's the thing. The person parking your car don't live in Beverly Hills. That person live in Compton. You think he ain't see you come off that car shining. You think he ain't called the hummies to set you up. You think that man don't know what room you in because you had to give him the room number check in. So it's supposed to be that like, okay, so hey, I'm coming, you got me and make sure Like now, you got to remember you checking in with a man that's a total stress. He don't know you, but you know you coming in here with bands and you're finna make bands. So I made this joke before. It's like, you know, you get put on you, you run twenty racks of the hood. You can shoot your video down here. Yeah, we'll make sure, we'll make sure you don't get robbed by us. But then but then what the streets do They called a set down the road, give them the access code, they rob you, and then we split it.
Speaker 1: So you paid us to let you do this. We tried to protect you.
Speaker 2: You mess around and win somewhere else you wasn't supposed to, and them niggas robbed you. Now you don't know that we sent them niggas over there, but like if of course he gonna and then you who you gonna call? Schoolboy Q has a great interview when he was on Drink Champs A buy all y'all niggas want to check in?
Speaker 1: Everybody?
Speaker 2: Will I say our favorite thing, y'all want to check in? You think this man who got enemies, That's what I mean by like remember like you from it. If you're from a set, your set as enemy, you think those enemies are just gonna let you extort the dude when he come into town. You think that man really like it? Why would he protect you? He gonna rob your dumb ass like that was the theory.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Now, Far be it from me to speak out my neck about stuff I don't know. I don't know anything about really what happened with Big Yu. I know right now he's under federal investigation for like a straight like mafia style ring. Whatever he did. Listen, I don't want to smoke. All I'm saying is, don't come to California and pretend to be against It's going to cost you. Okay, now that tariff might be the percentage you ran to his hood, but it might cost you moting. That might cost you your safety. So here's what the lesson is. Listen, why do you even want to go down there?
Speaker 1: Anyway?
Speaker 2: Land in lax? Like schoolboys say go where is fun? And like he say, get you something to eat, you know, take it back to your hotel room, take your jewelry off, go to the club.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying, and enjoy yourself. Why are you trying to go to the hood? Like We're like, why are you you don't It don't have to be like that.
Speaker 2: Lesson I've learned a long time ago is if I don't know nobody over there, I'm not going over there. People have asked me a few times, have been like, hey, can we do a thing where we can you show us? Can you show us Compton? And I'm like, absolutely not. I'm not going to drive you through Compton to show you. Like I don't, I don't know nobody over there, Why the hell would I take? You can come to my hood. I know people over here, but no, I'm not sight seeing. I mean, I'll take you you want to go see you want to go see the Crenshaw in Slawson where the mirror is. I'll let you go see the miral. But we're not finna hang out in the sixties, like what is wrong with you?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Okay, let me get back on topic. So you take that, but you apply it to a country. Now another way, like I said in the little social media breakdown, is the idea of all the mechs gangs out here. Everybody knows everybody pays taxes, and they all pay taxes to the same people. I don't care what your gang is except for one. But that's some hood. That's some hood politics that y'all don't need to know about. If you are going to sell to our people, you need to pay a percentage to us first, and that money goes into the government treasury, which brings us to Now, y'all, America is ten trillion dollars in debt, I'm gonna say that again, and slower America is ten trillion dollars in.
Speaker 1: Debt.
Speaker 2: Now, that can't possibly be one person's fault. That ain't one president's faul. That's all of y'all. When you get a credit card, you know why your credit card got spending limits because of this ten trillion dollars, which you would say that doesn't matter, because we make the money. Why don't you just print a ten trillion dollar bill? Now you got inflation now, I think in one of the other ones I talked, tried to explain what inflation was. Basically, if there's too much of it, it stopped having value, right you mighty as Remember collecting baseball cards if you ever did, or any sort of sports cards or pokemons or Yu gi Oh's whatever. I don't care what the hell you cat you collect, Remember when there's when there's not a lot of them, they're a rarity. They're worth more. It's the same with money. If it's too much money going around, it loses its value. It doesn't buy enough. That's over inflation. That leads into a depression. You walk up with a barrel of dollars to try to buy a loaf of bread. Everything costs more because the money's not worth anything. Does that make sense? So you can't just print it. You have to generate it in a way that makes sense. You know, els talked about inflation in terms of tariff I might be getting ahead of myself. But uh, Ferris Bueller's teacher on Ferris Bueller's day off. But it was the date that Ferris ain't go to school. That's why he ain't learned this stuff. Wrote a clip.
Speaker 4: Nineteen thirty, the Republican controlled House of Representatives, in an effort to alleviate the effects of anyone, anyone the Great Depression, passed anyone, anyone the tariff Bill, the Holly Smoot Tariff Act, which anyone raised or lowered, raised tariffs in an effort to collect more revenue for the federal government. Did it work? Anyone anyone knows effects. It did not work, and the United States sank deeper into the Great Depression.
Speaker 2: See he tried to tell us, Now, what are other ways you can make money? You generate money for the government. You could either do land grants and bonds. You know you're about those government bonds. And again this goes back to the idea of imaginary money, where we get people to invest in the government, where you buy whatever dollar amount of a bond into the government, and then the government's promising that you get a return on that investment, and they cut you a check because you invested in the government. However, you just invested in something that owes ten trillion dollars, So I don't know why the hell you would do that. So you got to find another way to make some money.
Speaker 1: So if you the.
Speaker 2: Government, you like, where's all the bread going from? We're not making it in taxes. I mean we could just we could tax the wealthy more. I mean, we have the highest concentration of billionaires. We've concentrated almost all of the country's wealth to the top one percent of none of which pay a fair share of taxes.
Speaker 1: I mean you could just, nah, why would we do that? Why would we tax the people that have the money? Why?
Speaker 2: Why why would we do that?
Speaker 1: That's making sense.
Speaker 2: You should make billionaires pay taxes, might get our money back. But nah, let's think of something else. Well, you gotta find a way to make the money. So you make the money by generating ways to make money. One of those ways would be, Yeah, we need more jobs. We need more jobs. You got to create the jobs. How you create the jobs is you got to build places for those people to work. Well, who're gonna pay to build those places for people to work.
Speaker 1: The government. The government ain't got no money. How we gonna do that?
Speaker 2: And especially if you're a traditional Republican, you try and you try not to spend no more, but you're trying to make mode but you don't like taxes.
Speaker 1: What do you do? Well?
Speaker 2: One solution was you find people that you ain't got to pay a lot that was immigraci So we took in a whole lot of illegal immigrants cause you ain't got to pay them. You needed a workforce. The workforce is going to generate this money that's gonna pay into the system. But then you like, what are you talking about the illegal immigrants? They don't pay taxes. They absolutely pay teck.
Speaker 1: Are you paying attention? They absolutely pay teck.
Speaker 2: Anyway, So let's find the poorest people in the world and make them pay the taxes rather than the wealthiest. Let's keep moving because I'm still talking about terriffs, Y're still talking about practice.
Speaker 1: So, but that's not gonna be enough money.
Speaker 2: What you gotta do because it's not enough if we just selling this stuff to ourselves, it's not like we're not getting nowhere. We need to be able to sell it to other people. But if they already got it, why would they buy it? Well, what do we have that they don't, Well, let's sell that to them, right. But what happens is if we are buying more from the country that we're trying to sell to, we have what's called a trade deficit. That means we buy more than we sell, and that country's got a trade surplus means they sell mode than they buy.
Speaker 1: That's our relationship with China.
Speaker 2: That's why your iPhone about to be thirty five hundred dollars because we buy more products from them then we sell to them.
Speaker 1: What they do buy from US is soybeans, which we'll talk about later.
Speaker 2: But so the thought was, we need every country to check in because every country ain't been checking in.
Speaker 1: They y'all just been out here.
Speaker 2: Like at first, the deal was like, if we're gonna use the street thing, okay, listen, we'll send you.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna be as crude as possible, so please forgive me.
Speaker 2: You can sell us fentonyl if we could sell y'all prostitutes, you can use our prostitutes if you send us fentinyl. And you know what, no harm, no foul, it's easy. It's it's an even trade that would be called terror Free Trade Agreement like NAFTA. It's all good, and you know these lines are stupid, like our borders or it's like besides, like you know, it's like if you're growing weed and you was growing opium and like it's like it just if it grow. If it's growing at El Paso, it's like nigga, which part of l Pasos, Mexico?
Speaker 1: Which part of it?
Speaker 2: Like it's like the borders, it's fine, we don't have to like, let's just exchange the thing.
Speaker 1: Yohood, myhood. It's all good.
Speaker 2: Matter of fact, mylog was born in your neighborhood, so it doesn't even like it's the same.
Speaker 1: It's all good.
Speaker 2: But what if you live in a neighborhood with just some absolute crackheads and they won't fening on and crack and like, so then now they like, oh we got oh, we got all that. We could give you every drug you won't yo people just buying it up and dying. But meanwhile they only they not buying enough prostitutes for you to make any money from. So you start looking around and being like, you know, they getting real rich off us.
Speaker 1: I know that's crude.
Speaker 2: But that's the point I'm trying to explain here America looking around, like again I'm explaining what the tariff is, and actually what Trump's thinking, right, So like, well, we can't just let you come here and get rich dog like, like I said, we're paying for all the infrastructure and like we're obviously in debt.
Speaker 1: We need to figure out ways to make money.
Speaker 2: You're not buying this shit from us, so you're not buying stuff from us, and you out here making money because all our people just buy your stuff.
Speaker 1: So even if we tried to make.
Speaker 2: It, ain't nobody gonna like want to buy our shit cuz yours is cheaper and better.
Speaker 1: But that's not the point.
Speaker 2: And we can't make it cheaper because we don't believe in slave labor and because y'all so racist that you don't want no immigrants.
Speaker 1: So like what we supposed to do?
Speaker 2: So they say, oh, I know, this is what we're gonna do. We're gonna charge y'all if y'all want to sell here. So if you're gonna sell products here, And the way that Trump thought about it was what's the percent up you are of us? Like if you got five points up from us. Then I'm gonna charge you ten points right so that it kind of even out. Does that make sense. I'm trying to eve it out. I'm trying to figure out how much money you making off us and how much money we not making off you, And I'm trying to like basically divide the two figure out the number to decide what the terrair percentage is for your particular country. Now, the reciprocal tariff is, what are you charging us? Well, fu, I'm gonna charge you that. What's your percentage? Well I want to do that percentage too. You don't get to sneak mode office. The bottom line is everything's made everywhere. Like have you been on the planet in the last one hundred years? Everything's made everywhere. There's no I use this example for there's no like. There's not like a pancake mix of car. Like, there's no batter that you just sit inside of vat and then you come and then what pops out is your rivian. No, it's like the seat cushion is made in Scandinavia, the rivet is made in Canada, the tires is made in Wyoming. I'm making these places up it's all made in different places.
Speaker 1: Even if you were to be like, we're.
Speaker 2: Gonna tear if we're gonna we're gonna tear iff cars coming in from Japan, Well, the problem is if the rivets that Japan uses are made in Pittsburgh, you just screwed Pittsburgh because guess what, the Japanese manufacturer ain't gonna buy the American made rivets because you just tariffed us. So he's so, but the idea is generally this, if you're gonna sell to US, I need a percentage of that, and that money goes into the US Treasury to hopefully pay down some of his debt.
Speaker 1: That's the first part of the plant.
Speaker 2: What he is hoping happens is it becomes so expensive to buy stuff made everywhere else that it's going to force people to shop in America. Because again this is Trump's mind. If you think in a world that is totally and unequivocally transactional, that we don't have friends, you don't have homies, You just have convenient partners. If they make it more money than we are and we lose, not that we're not getting the service that we desire. If you look at like I don't know anyone complaining about the products they buy. I don't know anyone that says we wish this costs more. But if your theory is if you make it more money than me, then I'm losing. I want to make more money than you. You making more money off me than I'm making off you, than I'm losing. That this is not fair. That's why he would say the trade tariffs are unfair. We're gonna make it fair. What he means is he needs to make more money.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: But if you notice these new tariffs didn't include Canada and Mexico. Why because it's like you're untangling something that you can everything's made everywhere. Most American made products are also made in Canada, are also made in Mexico. Because this because of the Free Trade Act between the two. Like like I said, like if you building an if you buying an American made boot, you understand I'm saying, I don't know the leather, the leather and the rubber is like the two things in the laces, Like that's it's made in all three of our countries and then assembled in America, and we get to say that's an American made product, so yeah, you know, like you're you really shooting yourself in the foot if you added these tariffs cities two country because look like here, here's what economists Pete Goodman said, who he's over at at the New York Times. You could take that as whatever it takes that, but he's the economists in New York Times. The numbers are if you buy something from Mexico, like let's say you bought something made in Mexico, like thirty cents of every dollar was made in America. So like of that product, like thirty cents on the dollar was made. It was made here, even though it says made in it's safe to say if thirty cents of each dollar you spend was an American job. But if you buy something from China, it's like three cents of it was American made. So you see how even in a global economy, in Trump's mind, you know what I'm saying, like we're not making enough money. And it seemed like everything good, it seemed like everything happy. But I feel like I feel like y'all more happy than us. Yeah, we got our stuff, I guess, but like my nigga, we need we need this bread.
Speaker 1: I can fast forward to the end.
Speaker 2: A real answer is over consumerism. The real answer is we need to stop buying shit at the level that we buy in. Then everybody shuts up. Lema put that to the side. His point is we need to make shit here. If we make it here. Remember I say, he's like kind of a nineteenth century guy like anyway, so his thought is, I'm gonna read my notes over here. If it costs too much to buy out of the country, then eventually, not only does that make you look to American manufacturers, but you also create American manufacturers, so the business will boom. There'll be a job boom. Now you get to train all these new workers and you create new products, and everybody's happy, and there's new jobs, there's new businesses.
Speaker 1: And we're not relying on everybody else.
Speaker 2: Because if you are a manufacturer, you understand even if you tried to buy American products, that stuff we don't make. There's some shit we just can't grow. Bananas grow in tropical areas. You can have a GMO banana, but it ain't gonna be right. Bananas grow in tropical regions no matter what we no matter, I don't care what YO tariff say, the soil don't grow that.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: There's some stuff that just doesn't grow here. But then there are other things that like, yo, maybe we can now do we have the infrastructure for it? No, But the hope is if we invest in our factories, if we invest in things.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: I know people mirror my favorite coffee cup company that I always work with.
Speaker 1: They have steel.
Speaker 2: They're like, we tried to buy Americans deal. How much that shit costs and it's not enough? Done, done done, It's not enough. But the hope is we can make our products here, have this job boom.
Speaker 1: That's what he's thinking. Is happening.
Speaker 2: If I charge him, If I make it too episode, I eliminate y'all. I eliminate everybody else by getting him off the board, by just making everything cost too much.
Speaker 1: That's the thought.
Speaker 2: Now counterpoint next, here we go. You know who made the greatest counterpoint?
Speaker 1: You ready for this? Who made the greatest.
Speaker 2: Counterpoint for extreme tariffs is Ronald Reagan. I'm a plates clip.
Speaker 3: You see at first, when someone says let's impose tariffs on foreign imports, it looks like they're doing the patriotic thing by protecting American products and jobs, and sometimes for a short while it works, but only for a short time. What eventually occurs is first homegrown industries start relying on government protection in the form of high tariffs. They stop competing and stop making the innovative management and technological changes they need to succeed in world markets. And then while all this is going on, something even worse occurs. High tariffs inevitably lead to retaliation by foreign countries and the triggering of fierce trade wars. The result is more and more tariffs, higher and higher trade barriers, and less and less competition. So soon, because of the prices made artificially high by tariffs that subsidize inefficiency and poor management, people stop buying. Then the worst happens. Market shrink and collapse, businesses and industry shut down, and millions of people lose their jobs. The memory of all this occurring back in the thirties made me determined when I came to Washington to spare the American people the protectionist legislation that destroys prosperity.
Speaker 2: Did you follow what he was saying? I'm this is the suspending reality stuff. It's the idea that if you believe in a free market economy, then you think that the competition between two different or competing companies will get us the best product at the lowest price, because you're fighting for our dollars. If you, by government decree, make someone raise their prices.
Speaker 1: Then.
Speaker 2: You eliminate the need for competition. So this industry here, these factories might grow, but it's not real growth because your product's not better. You you made up this, which means that if that tariff leaves, they get to go back to their actual price. You following me, this isn't really cheaper. The American product isn't really cheaper. It's not actually better. It's only cheaper because your law made that cost too much, not their manufacturing costs, your law did. Imagine if you're at school and you make the basketball team and you swear you the best hooper in the school, let's just make it easier. You're in an elementary school and you want to be the one that runs the fastest. I'm the fastest kid at our school. Well that's only true if the kids that are faster than you got suspended or were not eligible and didn't make the grades. Are you really the fastest, because once they suspension is over. Once them kids get their grades up, then you not the fastest kid. That's what he's trying to say. The next problem with this is who actually pays the tariff?
Speaker 1: Right? So who's paying the tariff?
Speaker 2: Eventually, like we said, it ends at us, we pay the tariff, right, But how it works is this. Let's just say you got an etsy that's really popping, right, and you use textiles made in China, and you like, you right at that bubble, you right at that, like y'all like, look, if we could get this weight off, I got ten thousand orders waiting, like I'm almost there.
Speaker 1: I'm almost there. We almost crack it.
Speaker 2: But to get that shipping container off the docks and load it into your truck, your courier service that's gonna bring you. I noticed it because I had a coffee company. So when that coffee I'm switching metaphors. But that coffee from Ethiopia, which we had to pay Ethiopia to get it off their shores. But that's not your problem. But then once it got to America, I don't go down to Long Beach and get the and get the container. No, the courier service stuff which loads it into the freight truck that brings it to our factory. It brings a text I'll bring the coffee to our factory. So when the government says there's a fifty percent tariff on this from this country on that product, somebody got to pay that bill or the stuff don't get off the shipping container. Now you think China gonna pay that, that's one option. But if China gonna pay that, and China like, I'm not finna just lose, that's y'all's problem. I'm not gonna lose my profits. I set my price based on how much it cost us to make so we can make a profit.
Speaker 1: Y'all.
Speaker 2: The one that I ain't paying that you pay that. I did my part. You brought the product. Now what you do with it, how it gets off the boat? That's on y'all.
Speaker 1: I delivered it.
Speaker 2: So that means the people that's receiving it, it's gonna have to pay. It's an American company. Now you think that people that's receiving that company just gonna eat that cost, or you think they gonna roll that into me or into your Etsy thing that owns the textiles, you gonna have to pay for it. That's one way, and if I gotta pay for it. Look, I'm the small business, y'all. Could I can't afford this, But I also can't afford to just leave the shit at the docks. So what I'm gonna do? I can't necessarily charge the consumer because I'm a small business. You'll go somewhere else. You can only sell so many things to your cousins. Eventually you need customers you've never met. People used to ask, hey, prop, why you haven't you put Terraform cobrew on Amazon. I'm like, first of all, because they're evil, but secondly because I can't afford it. I don't have enough. There's not enough profit more, I can't afford it. I would lose a dollar on every can that I sold on Amazon. I can't afford it. Where there's more customers on Amazon, you'll sell more. Do you understand? It's the sunken cost fallacy. If I sell, if I lose a dollar on one can, if I sell one hundred cans, it doesn't I still lost the dollar on every can. So I lost one hundred dollars, which you sold one hundred cans, but I lost Are.
Speaker 1: You following me?
Speaker 2: So that means that somebody got to pay this extra fifty percent. Some of the countries have decided to say, well, how about we split this cost? Okay, everybody's losing, let's split the costs. Now, who can eat that? Are your Walmarts? Are your targets? They could eat that cost? It is what it is.
Speaker 1: Are they going to eat that cost?
Speaker 2: No, they're going to spread it across multiple departments, right, because is not Walmart just full of other products? You just spread it. You have to pay for shelf space. You just spread the costs among your ten thousand stores, and you don't feel it right? Everybody else ain't got that luxury? Is the other countries paying for it? No, So eventually who pays for it is us? And again, now back to Trump's hope is we're gonna be like, I ain't paying for that. I'll buy this though, and then you'll body American stuff. Now here's the problem with him thinking that that's the answer. It's factories in this imaginary Trump world are still created with parts made in other countries, which you just teariff. So how we I can't even make the factory because you just made it too expensive to make the factory and also, we ain't made stuff at that scale in years.
Speaker 1: We ain't got the railways for it. We ain't got the roads for it. We ain't got the trucks for it. We not ready for that.
Speaker 2: The thing he imagined, We're not ready for it. And I don't know if you notice, everybody broke why nigga inflation because the cost of stuff is not going up with the cost of wages. Niggas ain't got houses.
Speaker 1: Like what do you like? What did you like? What healthcare costs too much? It'd be different, it'd be different.
Speaker 2: Listen, my dog is sick right now, which God damn it, I have to buy pet insurance.
Speaker 1: I hate this world anyway.
Speaker 2: That would be fine if our health insurance as a family wasn't a trillion dollar but it is. And at the end of the day, American stuff right now, if we were to start right now, it just costs more. It's just like, so the price difference really ain't gonna be and ain't gonna be that serious. It's like, it's still gonna be too expensive now. How other countries are clapping back next? So the EU was like and the rest of the world was like, oh word, reciprocal tarras. Okay, bet now if you know us, if we like, all right, bet that's a problem, like that means, oh it's finna go down now. Our biggest trade partner is the EU, because you have to remember, that's thirty five countries, right, it's not just it's not it's thirty five countries. And you know what they buy from us. They buy from us. One of our biggest exports tech cloud services. Software. We sell them Google, we sell them Oracle, we sell them Amazon. We also sell them whiskey and motorcycles. So they basically said, all right, this is what you're trying to do. Well, what if we just that's a nice that's a nice uh, that's a nice Silicon Valley tech industry that you got there. It'd be shamed if anything happened to it. They could basically be like, all right, you're finna tear for everything. Okay, how about how about we tear if your cloud service, which of course is a gamble because again they make the most most cloud services. But it's not like China don't make it. You think every you think they don't. You think were the only people with the with server farms. Right now, we might be the We might be the best, we might be the top guy.
Speaker 1: But I tell you what not if you keep playing like this.
Speaker 2: So that's one thing they said it was. And listen, these tech folks. You have to understand corporations want predictability. That's why the stock market acting crazy because remember the stock market's imaginary. This is what we think something gonna be work. When you start doing stuff that we can't predict, niggas get scared, pull they money out. I'm not playing no games. I don't want the smoke. Contranies don't want the smoke. So now these tech oligarchs who are basically making a brand new Versailles by just moving over there and holding court or they everybody moving to DC so you can be close to the president I mean the king, I mean the monarch, I mean the dictator, I mean the president. They moving over there to be close to him because you're just trying to be trying to hold court, game of thrones and shit, you got to be around the palace to get what you want. My nigga, you playing games with our money now, because if the EU start tariffing Oracle, that's gonna be a thing. EU is specifically twenty seven countries. I said thirty five because I was being I was exaggerating. But in China, China buys a lot of our soybeans because that's our thing we got that they don't and they for show like soy but guess what, they don't have to buy it.
Speaker 1: They say, okay, word, what if we tear if yo? SOI thirty four percent. Maybe.
Speaker 2: Now, if Trump's concept of like this is just a negotiation tactic, I'm just trying to get y'all to the table by acting like this. If that's the thing, that's quite a gamble. Because again, remember America, it's ten trillion dollars in debt. And what this gamble means is if it works, that's off. Because but if it don't work, it's the nineteen thirties. But at the end of the day, your Nintendo switched to ain't coming and your iPhone sixteen plus Nigga, your iPhone seventeen is about to.
Speaker 1: Be three thousand, five hundred dollars TERFs.
Speaker 2: So how much your dollar costs the entire stock market?
Speaker 1: Hood politics?
Speaker 2: All right? Now, don't you hit stop on this pod. You better listen to these credits. I need you to finish this thing so I can get the download numbers. Okay, so don't stop it yet, but listen. This was recorded in East Lost Boyle Heights by your boy Propaganda. Tap in with me at prop hip hop dot com. If you're in the Coldbrew coffee we got terraform Coldbrew. You can go there dot com and use promo code hood get twenty percent off.
Speaker 1: Get yourself some coffee.
Speaker 2: This was mixed, edited and mastered by your boy Matt Alsowski killing the Beast softly. Check out his website Matdowsowski dot com.
Speaker 1: I'm a spell it for you because.
Speaker 2: I know M A T T O S O W s ki dot com Matthowsowski dot com. He got more music and stuff like that on there, so gonna check out the heat. Politics is a member of cool Zone Media, Executive produced by Sophie Lichterman, part of the iHeartMedia podcast network. Your theme music and scoring is also by the one and nobly mattow Sowski. Still killing the beat softly, So listen, don't let nobody lie to you. If you understand urban living, you understand politics. These people is not smarter than you. We'll see y'all next week.