Speaker 1: Morning Run with Amy and TJ and iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 2: Hey the folks, it is Sunday, May eleventh. I'm told welcome to a weekend morning run. I'm TJ. Holmes, Amy Robot sitting next to me. Sitting next to me right now in a hotel room in Arkansas, of all places. We had a very special weekend. I had a wedding to go to and it's thank you for being here. Actually it was on my family side.
Speaker 1: Well, you know what, I feel honored to be a part of it. I love weddings. I love family weddings. I love getting to know your family even more. It makes I don't know, just I feel like these are the moments where you feel more bonded together as a couple and you just really get to know someone's roots. Like I've already met your parents, love your sister. But it's just so fun getting to meet cousins and aunts and uncles and friends of the family. You just it's it's a special time and I appreciate being included.
Speaker 2: One of the fun things is that some of the folks that you are running into now you're not having to introduce yourself to, like you have some history with so it's cool that my cousin Chardet and certainly my parents and my sister and my niece. Yeah, married, you've spent time with him, so that's fun to see. But the work doesn't stop, is the point we're making. Even on this weekend, we travel with our equipment. So this was something we tried for the first time last weekend and lo and behold, you all responded to it. So we're gonna keep it going. We do a quote of the day every single day that we do our morning run newscast podcasts, and we've just kind of collected them. And you're gonna start talking about on Sunday. You said this to me just a moment ago. Sunday is not just a day that people go to church. It's not just about religion religion. It's the day of reflection and absolutely.
Speaker 1: Is because for me and I think, whether you do it in church, you do it in nature, or you do it in your backyard, you think about the week and what you went through and what you've been through, and then you also start planning what Monday and the rest of the days are going to begin. So it's just this point where where you've had your fun on Saturday, and now you reflect back about what you did right, what you did wrong, and what you want to do better in the week. And I feel like these quotes of the day all collectively, when we kind of go a little bit deeper into why we chose them and where they came from, it's just a wonderful way I think, to either end your reflection or start thinking about what you want to change, what you want to be, how you want to live.
Speaker 2: That's funny. It takes us kind of right into our quote of the day that was that we gave last Monday. Again, we give them at the end of the day. We don't get a chance to go that deep into them and where they came from. So this is an opportunity to do so. But you said, people reflect on Yeah, you've gone out already for the week, going out Saturday night, and I was time to reflect on all you did right and wrong. A lot of what you did wrong might have been on Saturday night. That's true. So this first one on Monday that we use kind of is in line with that.
Speaker 1: Yes, you can't walk with God and run with the devil, and this is from your pastor correct and it makes a lot of sense. Sometimes you want to act, or at least be as holy and as well behaved as you possibly can, But then you know, you let your guard down, and all of a sudden you're running somewhere you didn't intend to.
Speaker 2: Some of that. Sometimes, so many folks will say I can do whatever and just ask for forgiveness. That's different, right, if you're making a conscious decision that I can behave poorly. We all make mistakes, We've all screwed up, and we will continue to do so. But you do have a certain segment out there, and there's people we've known before that you really do feel like it doesn't matter what I do, because all I have to do is show up tomorrow and ask for forgiveness and everything's going to be okay. I don't think that's what the Gospel is.
Speaker 1: Trying to preach with it, I think, and you know, we've had this Actually funny enough, when we've had a few arguments back and forth where one of us has done something wrong, a lot of us will go back to intention. But I do think it matters. You can still apologize for bad behavior, but your intention should always try to be in the right place. And I think that's the whole point of walking with God. You intend to do the right thing, you intend to do no harm. And of course we all still screw up and do all the things we're trying to avoid. But I do think intention is important, and so that is part of what I think this quote from your pastor refers to. We can all strive to be our best and try to do our best. But if you are operating in another playing field where you think you can do what you want and then just say you're sorry, that's not what this is about. That's not what the intention is for trying to be a better person and live your best life.
Speaker 2: And this was something my pastor was always good at. I mean he put it kind of in a fun, succinct, yes way, clever way that anybody can understand. You can't walk with God and run with the devil. That was our quote on Monday. On Tuesday, I'm not sure, And then we should let people know as well. Robes during our when we put the rundown together for the morning run is usually the one response before grabbing or plucking the quote of the day out from wherever. We have several different sources, but often one of the biggest sources is a big file of my quotes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this week, this week, I believe I decided to do a full week because I know we started to do this Sunday deeper dive into our quotes of the day. I thought, you know what, I'm gonna do a whole week where I'm just going to go into TJ's file. And when I say a file, he actually has a Manila folder with all of the quotes that he used to put up on his dressing room door in the hallways of Good Morning America, so that every Monday you'd come in. I actually looked forward to it you would put up a new quote. And so you actually, when we were able to grab all of our stuff out of our dressing rooms quickly, we lost a lot. I know I lost a lot, and so did you, like genuinely, but you got these quotes, and so I thought, let's just do a whole week of just quotes from TJ's file. So this was the one we used on Tuesday. Worry is a fear that hasn't grown up yet. It is a misuse of our imagination. And ain't that the truth?
Speaker 2: Fear? We all have it? I think there are plenty of lessons out that it'll be learned and teachings about you have to embrace it. We're all going to have. But it's okay to have fear. You have to own it, you have to recognize it, and now what do you do with it? That's fine? So what is worry? This quote is essentially saying that worry is a waste of your time. You don't have anything to be scared of, yet you're just worried about what you might end up being scared of. That's a waste of time.
Speaker 1: I mean it.
Speaker 2: So is.
Speaker 1: Fear actually is important. Fear protects us, Fear keeps us out of harm's way a lot of times, and so fear can actually be a really good thing to have, I think when it's warranted. The problem is we're fearing stuff that hasn't happened and probably won't ever happen. I have always believed when I look back, when I have the time to reflect, I say, God, everything I was worried about never even came to fruition. All those minutes, all those hours wasted, And it's just a I need to constantly remind myself when I start to worry and think of worst case scenarios and think of what could happen, what if that is. It's okay, it's a human thing. But I just try to redirect my mind and say, you're doing it again. Stop, this may never happen. What's happening right now. Look around you. Enjoy what's happening right now. And if there's something to fear, fine, fear it, but don't think about what you might have to fear. That is crazy, and yet we're all doing it all the time. If you think about it.
Speaker 2: To this point, I would ask encourage everybody who's listening to me right now, think about the thing right now that you are worried about. Think about it, and now consider tomorrow the next day if that thing ever comes to fruition. It could be something small. You might be worried that the eggs in your refrigerator are going to expire and you're not going to have enough for breakfast because you got people coming all the WNG too, and whatever. Anything you're worried about, and it's probably not going to happen exactly. Just considered. So that was on Tuesday. Worry is not a fear that hasn't Worry is a fear that hasn't grown up yet. It is a misuse of our imagination. That was on Tuesday. Wednesday, we turned to one here Robes again. It's put in a very in a succinct way. It's a lesson we all understand and no need to be reminded of. But I like the way this one was put.
Speaker 1: If you can't be thankful for what you have, at least be thankful for what you've escaped. And this one I thought was so cool, because yeah, sometimes we're not grateful for things like shelter, food security, being able to pay my bills this month, whatever it is. We kind of think we're owed it or we should have those things. But a lot of times when we're upset that something didn't happen, or we're upset about something we didn't get. I love reframing that and thinking about how we're thankful because it always happens when you've had a few weeks, months, or even years for the perspective to set it in and you're like, oh my god, thank god I didn't end up getting that or doing that or being with that person, and I actually was able to escape a far worse fate. And again, sometimes these things don't actually land until you've had perspective. But it's an interesting way to recognize sometimes some of the angst you're feeling about what you're not getting and you don't feel that gratitude.
Speaker 2: Yeah, blessings aren't just about what you have, right, That's how we count them usually. Right, Let's look at my blessings. Look at this nice home, look this nice job, Like at these wonderful kids, look at the well. I mean, we think about what we have, and too often we don't think about the blessing also being the thing we no longer have. That's also a blessing, the thing you got out of that thing you escape. I just love the way he put this and gives it a way to reframe in your mind just the things that are in front of you. We do have a hard time oftentimes like I don't have enough money, or that I didn't get that raise, or I should have more or of this or more of that. Yeah, you want the raise here now, but you remember that job you had before that you barely got out before they laid everybody off. You remember that one. So it's just a different way to frame it. Again, it's a sink, and it's clever. Here's the quote. If you can't be thankful for what you have, at least be thankful for what you' fiscapes.
Speaker 1: All right, On Thursday, we brought you another quote. We you know, we decided to lighten it up a little. You know, most of the quotes we have are are very serious and thought provoking and inspirational even but you gotta love a funny quote every now and then because there's usually some truth to it.
Speaker 2: We actually had a conversation and debate about, you know, what, should we go this lighthearted? And we said, why the hell not? Well, aren't we we should be doing this more often. So we pledged to do more lighthearted, more fun quotes moving forward.
Speaker 1: You know, let's try to at least do one fun quote a week to get folks laughing, because I you know, sometimes when you're having a tough time, laughter is the best medicine. So here was the quote of the day for Thursday of this week. A wise man once said to his wife nothing because he was a wise man.
Speaker 2: Everybody immediately gets it. That's funny. It plays into stereotypes, it has some truth to it, but it's just fun. It's funny, and I I have a difficult time with sometimes those I don't know, those those marriage tropes if you will, to where old Ball and Jane just.
Speaker 1: The happy wife, happy life. But it's kind of true.
Speaker 2: I hate the idea that our marriages, that we should have an expectation that the key to happiness is you shut up and do what you're told. What is that's the man or the woman, but it's usually having to do I know it's somewhat jokingly, but this was a funny way to actually put it. And anybody who's been any man who's been in a relationship knows we know when to pick and choose.
Speaker 1: Look again, yes, some people get offended by aeotypes, but stereotypes are usually there because there is a at least a small little bit of truth to it where at least you're like, okay, I get it. There's a generalization there. It's not always the case. And look, it could be offensive even to women that we have to have our way or we're not happy, you know, or we want you know, to say what we want to say, and don't you contradict me. Look, I've actually appreciated and maybe well definitely in hindsight, when we've had a couple difficult moments. I have been forced to look in the mirror. I have been forced to recognize that maybe I have acted a little bit more that way in my life. Where you know, I do think sometimes women we nest, we want things a certain way, we want things our way, and we want people to facilitate and help us get things in order the way we'd like them to be. And when you actually really have a true partner, I do think you have raised some of those issues with me and I have seen myself in a different way and that has been very eye opening and enlightening and hopefully made me a better partner and a better person, recognizing that we do fall sometimes into these stereotypes, and we do, maybe as women even feel like we have a right to say no, this is how I want it. And it's been it's been a very enlightening relationship.
Speaker 2: It has that's supposed to be.
Speaker 1: A great Why did I just make something funny heavy? Sorry about that?
Speaker 2: I feel we're gonna have to there's our therapists work on weekends. That's the basic of it. We need a moment. Fine, No, I get one hundred percent of what you're saying, And you would never you know what you struggle with it. I A struggle might not be the right word, but you in talking about it, you seem to struggle to find this balance sometimes between being and putting on what you actually are, which is a strong, capable woman who doesn't need a man for anything to take care of her. And this this is this you overcome cancer, you are a marathon or everything about you is strength. And you've had moments that you've said publicly on a podcast before where yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Just want to be taken care of something I do I do.
Speaker 2: Yes, I want you to open the door. Yes, I want to be treated.
Speaker 1: Like I just want to be And that's hard to admit something and felt, Yes, that's hard to admit.
Speaker 2: Sometimes it didn't be both, I suppose, but it we were often put in the position that or told that women are either one or the other. You're this strong woman who doesn't need a man for anything, or you're this little weakling that needs man for everything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we can all be a little bit of both. Yeah, And sometimes you can speak up and sometimes it is better to stay silent. So let's let's end with the uh with the quote itself, which is fun.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: It is a wise man. Once said to his wife nothing because he was a wise man, all right.
Speaker 2: And then our quote other thing on Friday is a very good example of ropes. And I say this all the time. My quotes don't just come from things I read or it comes from even my pastor necessarily. Sometimes it's just folks that I run into randomly on the street or I meet and they say something that I think is interesting and I write it down. And this is a very good example. This came to me from Benjamin Watson, who is a former football player played for the New Orleans Saints and Robes. I had this big you know, I used to do these big live events on GMA, and we had a big surprise that morning in New Orleans, and he was helping us with it, and we did all this stuff on the air and everything's live fine. But it was just in a quiet moment, just to he and I just standing next to each other talking about I'm not even sure what, but it had nothing to do with the shoot and what we were doing. I was just having a conversation with his brother and he said something and it clicked and I wrote it down. That was in twenty twenty one maybe wow, and here we are. I held on to that quote, so this was the one we used on Friday.
Speaker 1: Just because it's not on the news doesn't mean it's not happening. I thought this was so interesting on a couple of different levels, because there's the point where we're all, as Americans as a society, sometimes force fed or spoon fed what we're supposed to care about, what is important, what needs attention, and that's coming to us from the mainstream media for the most part, and even as journalists we recognize that. But there are so many stories that never get told. There are so many stories that are too messy, too ugly, too controversial, too potentially litigious for us to cover. And that's something that we all need to keep in mind as human beings, that there are so many other things that need attention that perhaps for whatever reason, we aren't being told about. And it's important to recognize that.
Speaker 2: It's too often I think something is dismissed because certain media voices aren't paying attention to it, like, oh, it must not be a big deal because it's not on that network, that network, or that network. We've had to certainly in the past several years retrain ourselves, and this was something that was a frustration to mine. I know we talked about it Good Morning America. This is not to be critical of them. I know this happens in newsrooms everywhere, but they always, or at least in the last decade, like what's trending, what's hot, what's hot on TikTok, what's hot on Twitter, like they would actually as a part of your research of what you were going to put in your show or your rundown, they're looking to see what are the top trends in whatever. It always frustrated me that we were trying to follow a conversation that said, can we please be the ones to lead it? Yeah, we should be talking about something that we find important that nobody else is talking about to get them talking about it and make it trend. That was always something I thought was as important that I think we and we were part of the media in that mainstream way. We were part of the problem.
Speaker 1: But you and I fought, and I can definitely say this to try and get some of those stories airtime, and oftentimes we were met with a brick wall. It wasn't gonna happen. But from from Brown and black girls going missing who we never hear about and never knew about, to Jeffrey Epstein, to you know, there were stories that were just h that's not no one cares or you know, it's not as important for whatever reason, and it was disgusting. You know. I think people talk about media bias about how we cover stories. I think the biggest media bias is what we cover and what we don't cover. And I just think that's such an important lesson for everyone who consumes media. And there's so many outlets and so many and yet still there are so many glaring lapses in what we actually should be talking about.
Speaker 2: Different iterations a way to say what he said. But Benjamin Watson, if anybody knows that brother and I need to reach out to him and let him know about just please then how we're talking so good about him behind his back? You should always talk good about somebody when you get a chance to, even if it's not to your benefit. But he is a just I like the brother and that he's an analyst for the SEC Network for SEC football now and he said that to me, and it's amazing just how somebody can make an impact on you like that. But that was our quote of the day on Friday.
Speaker 1: Yes, and so we hope that you know, you all stick around on Monday through Friday on Morning Run because if you didn't know, because some of y'all, I know, probably jump out after ten minutes, fifteen minutes, but if you hold out to the end, we do have these quotes of the day that we hope actually ends the podcast and begins your day with something that's thought provoking, something that's inspiring, and yes, something that maybe even makes you laugh.
Speaker 2: So that was Fridays. Just because it's not in the news doesn't mean it's not happening. We thank you as always for running with us. We thank you as always for listening. We thank you as always for clicking. We thank you as always for subscribing as well. Do so if you have it already. But this we saw last week. We tried this for the first time on Sunday end. We got a good response and we have evidence that people liked it. So we will keep it up. Yeah, we certainly will.
Speaker 1: And by the way, just wanted to let all you moms know out there, Happy Mother's Day on this Sunday, May eleventh, and if you'd like to click it should be in your feed right now, but we have a special Mother's Day episode of Amy and TG, so please check that out as well. But in the meantime, thank you for running with us on this Sunday and Happy Mother's Day.