Speaker 1: And That's what you Really missed with Jenna.
Speaker 2: And Kevin An iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 1: Welcome to and That's what you Really missed podcast. We've got the hottest hot takes of season six. Kevin. We are here for our final hot take of the series of.
Speaker 2: The series hot Takes, and we're back. We've been off from recording for a while and so it's nice to be back with you. Jenna.
Speaker 1: It's nice to be back with you. Kevin. Welcome back. Hope you had a good run of your show.
Speaker 2: I had a great time. Thanks everybody who came to see the Frogs in London.
Speaker 1: I wish I could have seen it.
Speaker 2: Very successful run. I loved it. I loved doing it.
Speaker 1: Yep, yep, and I believe it.
Speaker 2: I met so many people who listened to the podcast religiously.
Speaker 1: Jenna, Oh that warms my heart. We're so grateful. So you got to meet them all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you came to see the Frogs and you told me that you listened to the podcast, I appreciate it. I love when people tell me they listen to the podcast. And people have been rewatching it with us, and there was a show like there was somebody at one show like oh, the episode came out during the show, so I haven't listened to it yet, Like, ah see, it's really nice. Yeah, isn't that nice?
Speaker 1: It's nice in the wild.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a lot of gleeks came out and that was it was really nice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm to see you, Kevin.
Speaker 2: And now we're going to get crazy with some of these hot takes.
Speaker 1: Not just the point. There are Instagram posts, dealer comments, there are voice notes, there are dms. So we're we're coming. We're firing hot from all cylinders here. Let's start, uh start easy here. Okay, Tina should have never proposed to Mike during the wedding episode. It was so unnecessary. I have to agree. I know it's I don't know that that's.
Speaker 2: A hot take, you know what I beg to differ.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: It's such a Tina thing to do.
Speaker 1: Okay, fair enough, So would that make it a hot take?
Speaker 2: If it is hot take, then I think that's a hot take.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, I agree, Okay.
Speaker 2: My spiciest hot take is that FABERI should have been Cannon. That's all. That would have been wild, and I think it would have worked.
Speaker 1: It definitely would have worked a lot of people actually have been saying this, Oh, that it should have happened. Okay, I'm gonna get so much slacked for this, but I personally think that Clane, although a great couple this season, should not have been Endgame. My reasoning is, I felt like the latter half of season five in the first half of season six showed why Blame and Kirk got a lot better when they were just friends. I felt like in the beginning of season six they really showed that they could function without the other exclusively in their wise and Blaine catching fins for Kurt Oliver again, in my opinion, betrayed the character growth that he had. Specifically, I love the ending they got from a narrative perspective of being them being endgame wasn't the right.
Speaker 2: All Wow, I mean beautiful explanation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I get it.
Speaker 2: Hot take, hot take Season five Newbies should have been brought back to compete alongside the new season six cast instead of conveniently adding all the Warblers to the team. WHOA, Yeah, I would have liked to see that.
Speaker 1: Well, that could be the reboot.
Speaker 2: Well, there's a lot of hot takes about a reboot. Really hot take. If they were to make a Glee reboot, it should be based on new high school kids at McKinley, and Brittany should be their teacher. That way, all the Bonker lesson plans and over the top numbers would make more sense because it's Brittany. They should occasionally have the og cast do cameos, but hardly at all. When Artie comes back, don't have Kevin in a wheelchair, and don't mention it at all. At the very end of the scene, have Brittany say something like you seem taller, very funny.
Speaker 1: Hi, Jen and Kevin. My name is Ryan, I'm a big fan. I also went to the same high school as Chenna oh hi Ran graduated the year before we premiered Okay. So my hentake is that the music ultimately hurt the show more than it helped it. You can tell that early writing was plot driven. They found the music that worked with it, but quickly when the popularity of music took off, the plot being built around songs and tributes, more often than not felt shaky and the episodes became too bloated with musical numbers taking time away from what was a well constructed, driven story at the start. I would have preferred less songs to make time for punk Pink Cared, Quinn or Kurt and Mercedes being friends. Okay, I find that there is true to some of this, right. I think ultimately there is no show without the music. Really, but were some of these points in fact's true? Yes? And some aspect some parts of the show you're not. Yeah, I get it, I get it, I get.
Speaker 2: It, Hi, Jenna and Kevin. My hot take is that people think they want a Glee reboot, but what they actually want is a new Glee Cast album. Oh season season six is already a reboot itself, og Cast coming back to mentor the new Generation. What we actually need is the og Cast singing new covers. Mmmmm Okay, I do like that. That's easy to do.
Speaker 1: I love singing covers. Okay, let's do a voice No, okay.
Speaker 3: Hi, guys, this is Dylan from New York. Here's Michaelee hotache. Arti and Katy were supposed to be and game period. They were the perfect couple, complete opposites who found each other. Keat's my favorite character in the entire series, beca such an incredible actress, and you could really see how being with Artie was a turning point in her character arc. I was so mad that I already ended up with Tina. Anyways, love the podcast. Oh and Jenna, thank you for sending me an autograph back in twenty thirteen and making my fifteen year old self instantly popular in school.
Speaker 2: I love you.
Speaker 1: Bye, Oh my god.
Speaker 2: You know what's interesting is that we never so as a cast. I don't think we ever talked about like who Endgame should be or anything like that totally, and so I sure we had, but maybe a little bit, but I don't think it was. And so many people feel this way about I think people think Mike and Tina should have ended up together. There's one right here that says Tina and Mike should have been endgame and not a fan of her and Arty together, love them platonically, just not together, And so I get it. And I do think Artie the relationship with the Arty was good for Kitty. Remember how like the horrible things Kitty would say horrible, horrible, Okay, wow, Yeah, I'm not saying I agree with it, but.
Speaker 1: No, no, I see it. I see it. Spiciest hot take I ever saw with someone saying they didn't feel bad after Santana got outed. That gagged me exponentially. Yeah, all right, this is long, but I think it's worth stating.
Speaker 2: Tell us a tale hot take.
Speaker 1: I actually liked the Roderick storyline in Child Star and here's why, and Kevin we both didn't like this. It portrayed the reality in being plus sized and the struggle can cause, especially in something like gym class. The development between him and Spencer was relatable. Spencer being a jock, though I thought he needed tough love, but roder communicated that isn't what's going to help him, and eventually Spencer adapted to how he helped him. No, I hated the pressure of the rope climbing to save myron. As a fat person, I'd be pissed, but otherwise the story was a surprisingly relatable one for plus sized people. Often I need help when I'm trying to lose weight or do something. It's difficult due to size, but I have to communicate how people can help me. It feels very different than like the Mercedes Taught story and one similar when the joke isn't about the weight, but rather jokes are throughout a story about someone struggling with their weight. I don't mind when you're big. Unfortunately, being big is the main topic throughout your life, so it makes sense that it would be a plot point. But it's much bigger when it's But it's much better when it's like this instead of just a joke.
Speaker 2: Ah Well said very Well said, that makes sense.
Speaker 1: I mean, I appreciate the perspective. It's like I didn't know, and I think that's right. Okay, great, thank you for that.
Speaker 2: Justice for Sam and Rachel Duetz, respectfully, I disagree with y'all. Their voices sound great together. And two, the Blade and Crossey storyline is overheted Krofski went through a lot and grew as a person. Is it a great storyline? No? But do I think it deserves the amount of hate it gets. There's been crazier things on Glee. Wow, sizzling. That is sizzling.
Speaker 1: I don't know that there has been.
Speaker 2: I know, I think that's up there with some of the greatest things.
Speaker 1: But I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Season six, Blaine should have sung Love changes Everything, and series Claian should have just been friends.
Speaker 1: Okay. A lot of people saying this, mm hmm, let's do another voice now.
Speaker 4: I think it's absolutely wild and very insane that out of nowhere Rachel and Sam, Like, did they have a did they have a conversation that they were breaking up? Were they an official couple? Because Jesse and Rachel just start making out after singing a song like they always do in the auditorium and then they just start making out out of nowhere and then they're together. Then they're just like together, and then what happened to Sam?
Speaker 1: Like, who's did.
Speaker 4: Anyone break up with Sam? Because I don't I don't see anything. Also, having Tina and Artie, I'm.
Speaker 5: Sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry.
Speaker 4: Having Tina and Laradi be Endgame is nuts because everyone and their mother wanted to see Tina and Mike be Endgame. That was so and I don't know, I don't know how I felt about that. That was really like I didn't expect it, and I think a lot of people were very pissed off about it. I remember being on Twitter at this time, and this was an insane thing.
Speaker 1: Okay, Jenna, we didn't know anything. We we The thing we take away from this podcast is that Already and Tina, we're not beloved as a couple together that should have ended up together. You know, we were like, I'm so happy we ended up together.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we just wanted it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe that's why the writers did it, like they felt like, we're like, please.
Speaker 2: It's because we're best friends.
Speaker 1: Best friends. But also Harry, I heard Tina and Mike and and Already and Kitty, that's really what they wanted to see. Yeah, so fascinating to me.
Speaker 2: Okay, I also wonder if some of that is like budget, like having everybody come back like you and I are already on the show.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, they're like, Okay, we're.
Speaker 2: Already under contract like we had.
Speaker 1: The pro was definitely not what it was season three.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know, and yeah, I mean poor Sam. I agree. Did someone tells Sam?
Speaker 1: Oh I know? I know? Oh poor Sam, Poor Sam. I don't know that anything, Like, I don't I actually don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Okay, hot take. Season six is better than seasons four and five. I wish instead of going to New York, I think it would have been better had they really focused on the new kids the way season six did. Season six goes off the rocker with the Jakes stuff. It has the heart that season one has, and I wish we got more of it. That is a hot take, but also a lot of people are saying it, so doesn't make it less of a hot take because everybody's saying that.
Speaker 2: Maybe, but I still think it's hot. It's warm.
Speaker 1: Hi. My hot take is that Shelby being Rachel's house sister makes more sense. They say in season one that her dad's used a surrogate. They both could have come from the same egg donor and then found each other on a twenty three me type situation. I'm not actually sure if that was a thing back then or not, but I think that it would have been a fun story line to follow up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't hate that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't need that either.
Speaker 2: Hot take. Glee dropped the ball not doing a summer season the year Kurt and Rachel graduated. Could have been pool parties, summer jobs, steam parks, barbecues at the Humble House would have been a blast. I fully agree. I don't think that's a hot take. I think everyone wants to see that. I don't know, you don't want to see that.
Speaker 1: No, it reminds me of like Saved by the Bell of the Camp serious season that they like go to summer camp, or like where they're the camp till it's not really.
Speaker 2: Hot take curtain, Blaine ultimately get divorced. They hear that X couple that hooks up at every reunion.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, wait, this is funny. Somebody says, hot take, I know you won't read. Well, I'm going to read it. This show would not have worked without Lea's Rachel, and the since bias to try and make Rachel some villain misses the entire point of the show and how necessary it is that she's the lead. There's many talented people in the castpout Corey has been and Lee's Rachel, and Jane is too that she truly wouldn't have fallen, would have fallen apart.
Speaker 2: I don't think that's a hot take obviously either.
Speaker 1: I definitely believe that true.
Speaker 2: Rachel's the lead of the show. She's never one, and I don't think anyone's making her the villain.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I do think that like online, maybe like Rael, the recent TikTokers have been like, oh, maybe Rachel was a villain, like the way.
Speaker 2: That the reason why people like her or dislike her is the same thing, Yes, exactly, And so it's like whether you like her because you don't like her, you're still watching her and like she's still necessary, yes, exactly for the show. And so like I and there's some famous people that actually had this conversation with someone and I won't see who it's about, but they have it's not about Yeah, they have quite a reputation for being difficult. And I was saying, they're so talented that I hope you know that they learn from that and I get it together because they are they are so talented. And my friend was like, well, I think what happens when you're in this industry and you are so motivated, like you have your end goal like Rachel's like I'm getting to Broadway and nothing's going to stop me, Like the train is moving, and like you're either on my side or you're against me. But like I know my point A to point B is, and so what happens when you finally get to point b, like when the dog finally catches the thing you have to like then I think that's the switch for people is they don't know how to switch that thing off, that motivation off in terms of like oh now I've made it and now I can rest no rest and be kind and sort of like it doesn't just have to be like fully focused, because when you're in that fully focused mode, like a Rachel or this other person, you can sometimes say things or treat people in a certain way that isn't necessarily the kindest because you're just complete. And I'm not saying that justifies not treating people nicely, But I think some people like Rachel, like when you get to a certain level of success, it's like the success should be enough thing, right, right, Yes, like you don't need to keep doing it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah for sure. Does that make sense to what I'm saying, Yeah, yeah, no, definitely. Let's do a voice no.
Speaker 2: Hi.
Speaker 5: My hot take is that Rachel Berry is actually a hugely sympathetic character and widely and massively over hated by fans. I accept she's abrasive, she's blunt, and she's ruthless, but most of the time this is to protect the people or things that she loves. And there's huge and unfear double standards where people give passes to other characters doing morally reprehensible and questionable things, but condemning Rachel for stuff that I would say, honestly isn't half as bad. I'm excluding the Crackhouse incident of us, everything else I can forgive. I love her. I think she's she's flawed and she's fabulous and everything.
Speaker 2: I agree.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It's funny though to me because like every fan that we've you speak about, like, I don't feel like Rachel is hated, but.
Speaker 2: Maybe we're not seeing that.
Speaker 4: I do.
Speaker 2: Maybe we never hated. It's just like us wanting alreadyent Tina to be together, just.
Speaker 1: Like blindly like on going to Glee World without life. It's also already realizing it. I'm not getting like Rachel hate on my algorithm, you know what I mean? No, no, totally, You're right. We didn't Rachel no exactly personally, and so I think, maybe, okay, we're missing it.
Speaker 2: I see.
Speaker 1: It's funny because I didn't. I didn't realize that. I don't think. But I think if you're a bit I think if you actually watched the show, if you're not someone who's just like clocking in for a couple episodes or just seeing things on Twitter, then you know Rachel's a sympathetic character totally, and like yea outside, yes, okay.
Speaker 2: And so I've never hated Rachel.
Speaker 1: No, me neither. I think I've just been blind to it.
Speaker 2: But I think like her personality and like her storyline and drive and the way she handles it for good, the good and the bad is what the whole show is about.
Speaker 1: Well, and also though, like, let's talk about the double standard again. Like a girl, like a bad, high achieving, like wildly motivated, driven character can be hated. But a man who does that is successful and becomes a billionaire and is like highly regarded and is like respected of like, wow, look what he did. It's like, come on, you guys, fully, yeah, you know, mm hmm, Okay, let's do a few more. This is a really good hot take because I feel like the thing that we've learned about season six is a lot of people wish that the Season six Newbies came in sooner, right, that we had got more time with them, that they came in season four, that they're an eclectic bunch. Well, this one says. My hat take is I don't like the Season six Newbies at all. I was actually shocked to know when everybody loves them. For me, it was obvious that they didn't make sense at all. No shade on any of the actors, of course, but they didn't click for me in any way. I mean, a thirteen year old boy weird twins of postmodern gay what does that even mean? I felt like I was watching a bad Nickelodeon spin off, and I wanted for it to end. Meanwhile, I really liked the Season four Newbies. Yes, they had some traits of the Ogs, but they had depth, pert and charisma, lots of love from Italy.
Speaker 2: Season six should have been entirely a time jump season. It was already shorter than all the others, and it became clear that there wasn't much plotline left for the Glee Club. Season six could have been a short season to explore how we got to where we were in the official time jump, how did Rachel end up a surrogate, how did she find about her Tony nam et cetera. I have to maybe agree, And this person also had another one said, now I like to think this is a hot take, but I don't know why many people do. I think Quinn Puck should have kept Beth.
Speaker 1: It would have been too expensive jet babies.
Speaker 2: Yeah, logistically it would have been a problem.
Speaker 1: Let's do We've got some other really good voice notes, I think, so let's do your voice note.
Speaker 6: Hi, I'm Ramona. I've been an og gleague since the beginning. I loved rewatching Glee with you and hearing your takes. However, I have to disagree on one thing. My hot take is that be Okay as a duet is top tier Glee duet. The harmonies are incredible. It's actually in my top ten Glee songs. Ever, Wow, I will die on this hill.
Speaker 1: I love that for you, Love that for you.
Speaker 2: Let's do another one.
Speaker 7: My spiciest hot take is that of all of the truly bonkers things that happened on Glee, the thing that was most inexplicable and that keeps me up at night and that I think about constantly to this day, is when Blaine said to Kurt, all of this bird talk.
Speaker 1: Is making me horny.
Speaker 7: Don't understand what he meant by that.
Speaker 1: Thank you for your time.
Speaker 2: Oh god, you know, and that's my favorite part about the show. Honestly keeps you up to night.
Speaker 1: Doesn't really make sense, but somewhere in the either it made sense to somebody, and it still makes you laugh.
Speaker 2: It's funny.
Speaker 1: It makes you laugh every time.
Speaker 2: Oh God, I think on that note, because I'm getting any better than that.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you for you're writing in. You guys are the best. We love these spicy hot takees. We love hearing all the different different opinions. I still stand and we'll die on the hill that Arnie and Tina should have ended up together because they did so you can nothing you can do about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, whatever, and that's what you really missed. Thanks for listening and follow us on Instagram at and that's what you really miss pod. Make sure to write us a review and leave us five stars. See you next time.