Speaker 1: Let's go.
Speaker 2: Go, Hello the Internet, and welcome to this special week trend week weekend, trending, whatever you want to call it. It has so many names. Let's go as we call it. We're we tell you what was trending over the weekend. What's trending on this line Monday morning?
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 2: My name is Jack O'Brien, thrilled to be joined by super producer Brian Jeffrey.
Speaker 1: Jack o Brian, It's Brian the Editor.
Speaker 2: I'm Brian the Editor. Oh that's right, My bad, My bad, my.
Speaker 3: I forgot about the rebrand. It's okay, it's okay. Well, we all make mistakes.
Speaker 2: I fucked up. Fucky man, I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: All right, let's just let's look. Look, let's just start.
Speaker 3: The whole thing over the top again again again, until you get it.
Speaker 2: Brian the editor, time we've gone through it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's been a long morning.
Speaker 2: Demanding it's called brand.
Speaker 1: It's ten thirty right now. Yeah, just letting you guys know.
Speaker 2: We usually record at nine.
Speaker 1: We're an hour and a half late because.
Speaker 2: Yeah, anyway, it was just the first thing about the weekend. I gotta say I say this whenever, like Christmas or Valentine's Day or Saint Patti's Day happens on the weekend. It's weird to have January sixth happen on the weekend, you know, yeah, like all the parties and things you like, where to work in honor of the January sixth political prisoners. It's just it's not the same dressing up as a January sixth political prisoner on the weekend.
Speaker 1: I mean, I still take it.
Speaker 3: I still take a work day off just because. But it is I get what you mean. It's totally weird.
Speaker 2: But what are my kids are going to get into a yelling match with them? Yeah? I don't see what.
Speaker 3: I don't see my kids to school on anywhere near I don't think, say, my kids to school in January.
Speaker 2: What do you think I'm an idiot?
Speaker 1: Very six?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean my kids barely know that Biden's name isn't Brandon. They just think that's his name, you know, like what, They're not gonna be fun to get into an argument with. No, But anyways, happy January sixth. Happy belated January six to you and with your spirit and unto you as well, and unto you. So yeah, this is a special episode. We recorded early Monday. We tell you what was trending, and we also tell you a little little something about what's going on with us by telling you our own, our very own overrated, underrated, my overrated. I got a couple here. Bacon packaging, hmmm, like the vacuum seal kind yeah, like the like little envelope vacuum seal where, like the that you slide thet yeah, the little flow.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Like it feels like there should be a good resealable package by now, but it's just such a mess like this can you open it once? It like it's kind of fucked. You just have to cook all the bacon, or at least I do. I haven't. I haven't figured out the right way to deal with that thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because it's it's yeah, because I made it.
Speaker 3: I made a bullin AT's last week and I couldn't find panchatta, so I use bacon. And I made sure to find the smallest pack of bacons so that I can use everything, because I'm like, I don't want to deal with this this greasy, slippery, thin little package that I'm gonna have in the fridge slipping around.
Speaker 2: But every other food has like multiple packagings that you can buy like Cereal has the box, but it also has the bag and the resealable bag. And question, yes, Beyonce.
Speaker 3: Uh, what is your ideal packaging for bacon?
Speaker 1: Well, I have if not the slippery Uh.
Speaker 2: I'm not a fucking engineer here, man, all right, I'm just saying that, like somebody should have come up with someone better. I'm sorry to get sorry to get so defensive. All I am bawling my fists up right now, But I don't like I looked into like why is this the reason? Like why or why is what is the reason for why? This is just the standard way to package bacon And it has to do with like marketing basically, like they want to It's called a shingle pack Brian As I'm sure you know, reference to the way the slices kind of overlap with one another and are kind of like fanned out. But they say that basically they like to show the red part, you know how bacon like has the small red part and then like a lot of fat. And even though the fat is what makes the bacon taste good, it's also the thing that like looks the least appetizing before it's cooked, and so people like want to not or the marketers want to not show off the fat. So that seems to be I found a Forbes article that was like kind of pro the packaging there, like it's actually like an ingenious way to just show a relatively unbroken field of red protein, creating the illusion that the bacon is leaner than it is.
Speaker 1: But it's people explain things.
Speaker 2: Sorry, I think I think it should be sold like a roll of tape where you just like can pull a strip of bacon off now all right, yeah, sorry, sorry I got sold.
Speaker 1: I think bacon should come in a jar, but whatever, never.
Speaker 2: Mind just floating. Yeah, I don't know. So that's I feel like somebody's gonna come and be like, actually it has to be stored that way. I've read somebody with like some explanation or why, like they don't do the resealable packaging because it would just lead people to reuse bacon too late. Like there's like no good way to preserve bacon. I guess once you open the packaging, it's like you should be using it as quickly as possible. But I don't know, just such a mess. It feels like it could be improved upon. Come on, capitalism, I feel like you can do better than this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, bacon jars.
Speaker 2: Bacon jars. What is what's something you think is overrated?
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm gonna keep this as brief as I can, because once I get going on this, I can know for like forty five fucking minutes. My overrated is having having like an organic human body, I guess is one way to put it.
Speaker 1: So let me explain.
Speaker 3: I love food, I love drinks, I love tasty things of all kinds. But I'd say once a year, I have this meter in my head somewhere that just fills up, and once it fills up, I kind of have a meltdown of I'm so fucking sick of having to put things in my body to keep it going. Yeah, and I just I just kind of like have this existential crisis in my head of man, it's so exhausting being being.
Speaker 1: Human and having to tend to my human body.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Like, no matter how much I love food, I'd say like once a year this happens, and I'm just I'm in the midst of it right now, and I'm just I'm so.
Speaker 2: Tired.
Speaker 3: I'm so down on like not food, but just like the process eating, drinking, shitting, the whole works. I'm just like, oh my god, can I can I just replace everything from the neck down with robot parts or something?
Speaker 2: Yeah? In at or like I was taking the other day.
Speaker 3: I always have these mad thoughts where I'm like, damn, it'd be kind of crazy if you could have like some sort of like like some sort of sci fi food where it's like you only have to like where you can eat like a snake basically where you just think this thing and then you're good for your tweeks.
Speaker 2: How doesn't that exist? It feels like that should exist for people who similarly get tired of you. I guess that's.
Speaker 1: It's kind of dystopian.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but that's true.
Speaker 3: Honestly, there's sometimes where I would I would totally go for it, yeah, just so I can, like, because you know, sometimes if you're especially like if I'm busy and I'm in one of these moods.
Speaker 1: I just have no interest in food.
Speaker 3: I'm just like, whatever, just give me noodles or popcorn or whatever, just something that I can make quickly and I don't have to think about.
Speaker 2: The two major food groups. Yeah, noodles and popcorn.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So that that's my overrated. I just went a little nutty this weekend.
Speaker 2: Fucking nuts man. You're really out there, dude. Yeah. I feel like Silicon Valley is gonna come up with something for you. You know, they already had this soilent, a direct reference to soil and green, so I feel like you're going.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I knew people to drink that, and I was like, this, is you cool with this?
Speaker 1: This doesn't alarm you?
Speaker 2: And it's basically the same thing. It's like you just replace all your eating with like chugging this thing down in five seconds and then you don't have to think about eating at all, and.
Speaker 3: Like stark white packaging, black letters, it's just something alarming about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, I feel like they could do for a rebrand, just focused on people who want to be robots, robot juice recharge, you know, so focus it that way, make it slick, make it less dystopian. All right. My underrated uh is how staged everything is. So I'm not on TikTok as much as a lot of other people, but there is there's this tweet from some somebody who let me quote them directly, So it's Vinnie Thomas vinn underscore A tweeted, I really don't want to see millennials in gen Z making fun of boomers anymore, because the way many of you watch staged TikTok skits and respond to them like their documentaries is frankly nuts. It's giving Grandma sharing a picture of a photoshop bird and saying, wow, nature is so beautiful. And then he says, I think this says a lot about the way men are socialized to misbehave on public transportation, particularly in the West, attributed to many of you after you see the worst actor in the world yelling on a fake airplane. So I'm not like fully I've seen a couple of these. I'm not like fully up on the TikTok culture, but this is something that I've noticed just generally, like we're not suspicious of things being staged. The main place that I thought recently was did you see this stephen A. Smith on his ESPN show where somebody like called in and asked him a question about cars, the Disney movie Cars.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, all.
Speaker 2: Right, let's here. Let's let's play that clip real quick.
Speaker 4: Danny in Wisconsin, you live with stephen A.
Speaker 2: What's up?
Speaker 4: Danny talk to.
Speaker 2: Me, Stephen A.
Speaker 1: Smith.
Speaker 2: When you think about the goat of sports, you think about Mike with Dick Brady with seven rings. But where do you rank a guy like Lightning McQueen with seven piston cups?
Speaker 3: Hmmm?
Speaker 1: I would tell you he would be the goat.
Speaker 4: How are you going to be the go because you talk about the movie Cars right, You're talking about the movie Cars, right. I mean when you talk about King Wethers and Likening McQueen, they're both tied with seven piston cups. Strip Weathers, you've got about him? How can you go to somebody You got somebody that's tide which, Sorry, it ain't gonna work. I know you tried to catch me with that.
Speaker 1: You didn't think I knew that about that.
Speaker 3: You didn't think knew about.
Speaker 1: A piston cups. He's got twenty eight circuits.
Speaker 2: You got twenty eight circuits under his.
Speaker 4: Belt, has seven piston cuffs.
Speaker 1: I am not.
Speaker 4: Well, there's past piston.
Speaker 2: And then the guy like starts responding and being like, oh, come on, I don't agree with that, Strip weather Like and it's uh the response Like I've seen a lot of people on social media be like amazing and like the most skeptical people have been is like he must have had someone feeding him facts, but it seems obvious, like right in.
Speaker 1: Front of him you can see him reading.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the collar was clearly a plant, like yeah, like that that wasn't a real coller, you guys. That was just a guy who works for him, was like or an intern or something like that. But they had like a video or you know, a picture of light McQueen like ready to go right away the second the guy called So I don't like this doesn't bother me, like it makes Stephen A. Smith I think seem funnier and more approachable than I think he probably actually is. But fine, But like I'm just wondering, is this something we've decided culturally, like just without saying it that like we're going to take everything at face value because it's more fun that way, and we're just like I don't I won't give a fuck, Like fine.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've definitely I've definitely noticed like little little sprinklings of this all over, like you know, on YouTube, reddit, like people, there is a certain gullibility of this age that I find fascinating that that people will go in for this kind of.
Speaker 1: Stuff more easily than you would think. This feels.
Speaker 3: This feels like we are to make him seem more huggable than he actually is.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, I mean it's good TV. It clearly worked. It's just I'm just curious if we have all decided like we're good with just bullshit like this, Like it's well executed bullshit, but it seems clearly like bullshit to me. I don't know. I mean, maybe there's like some law that says you can't have a fake caller call in, and that's why people are assuming it wasn't. But it just feels.
Speaker 3: Because taking this at phase value, you have to ignore so many production things of like he's clearly got notes on this, like you know, the guy running like the blue screen clearly has all his slides line the fuck up, Like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that could be obvious. Yeah, I mean obviously the calls are screened, but like it still just feels like the whole thing is a setup, which is fine, Like I said, it's just a weird thing that I feel like because we're used to seeing these like set up fake videos and like fake prank videos and stuff like that on YouTube, Like we've just had our tolerance for this sort of thing just kind of opened up to a point that now we're just like, yeah, you can get away with anything. The trick us Daddy, We're not We're not even paying attention. We don't care anyways. What's something, Brian that you think is underrated?
Speaker 3: Okay, you know, speaking of the internet, I just discovered a YouTube channel called Bobby Fingers. Now what is Bobby Fingers? It's real fucking hard to explain, and I'm gonna do my best. So Bobby Fingers is an Irish comedian slash musician, slash sculptor, model maker, and he's found a way to marry all of those things into the YouTube format. And the first video I watched his was him making a diorama of mel Gibson getting arrested in Malibu while they these things.
Speaker 1: And he's really really, really talented.
Speaker 2: First of all, yeah, very really created.
Speaker 1: Look at this.
Speaker 3: He uses all this technology and clay and it's just he's really good at making dioramas, like on a professional like movie level. But he's got the sense of humor of uh, you know Lemmy from Lemmy Show, Uh, but but Irish instead of Scottish.
Speaker 1: And it's just surreal. It's a surreal channel.
Speaker 3: His latest video is him making a rowboat, full size rowboat in the shape of Jeff Bezos his head.
Speaker 2: It's real weird a rowboat that the boat itself is in the shape of Jeff bez head.
Speaker 1: Yeah, look at this.
Speaker 5: And I find it difficult not to be inspired by this, because if Jeff Bezos conventure into the great Unknown in a ship shaped like a massive dick, then so can I.
Speaker 1: And yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Wait, I want to see it. Does it? Is it fair?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 2: Is it water worthy? Wow? And then he sings.
Speaker 1: Every video the song, Yes, every song.
Speaker 3: Every video ends with the song, and then he like takes this thing he just made and he he'll go bury it, and then he'll tell you that he hit the GPS coordinates somewhere in the video and that you can go like find it.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: It's it's just this crazy piece of performance, right, and it's it's surreal.
Speaker 1: It's like it's surreal and fascinating.
Speaker 3: You get to watch someone work on their craft, but it's more than the sum of its parts. I guess it's why I like it, because it's not just all those things I mentioned. It really does come out to be you're like, you come out of it like, what the fuck did I just watch?
Speaker 1: But yeah, in a in a really good way.
Speaker 3: He also has a diorama of the famous story of Steven Sagal getting choked out and shitting himself. He really just highly recommended check out Bobby Fingers. I'll link it in the show.
Speaker 2: Notes show notes. Amazing. Kind of looks like Robert Pattinson playing like it in the lead up. Yeah, like ugly up for the lighthouse. Very cool, great underrated man. That was, by the way, one that you came up with on the fly. When we started, you did not have an under well well done. We'll take you a quick break, should we should we take a quick break, come back and talk about some news stories from over the weekend, including the Golden Globes monologue. Yeow, and that it is a tease to another story we'll be talking about about cats. We will be right back, and we're back.
Speaker 1: We're back.
Speaker 2: And so the Golden Globes aired Sunday, and the big winners were Christopher Nolan's Oppenheimer and Succession, and the big loser was everyone who had to sit through that monologue. Am I right? Did you watch it? I'm assuming you didn't watch the Golden Globes or you would be howling with laughter.
Speaker 3: No, I didn't watch the Golden Globes because I'm a regular person and I only watch trade shows in my industry.
Speaker 2: But yeah, but.
Speaker 3: I support their you know, their right to exist, I suppose. But yeah, I don't know what the fuck's going on with the gold and Globes. But yeah, I heard tell that it was bad, and I don't know why they still televised it.
Speaker 2: So he got up there. He was like barely giving any time to prepare, apparently, and was announced as the host of the show a few weeks ago.
Speaker 1: I don't even know who this guy is.
Speaker 2: Just a stand up comedian. Joke cooy is a stand up comedian. They you know, settled on having him host a couple of weeks ago, and the jokes were going over so well that in the middle of the monologue, he just like through the through the whole thing under he said some I wrote. Some other people wrote like after nobody laughed his joke, and they said, yo, I got the gig ten days ago. You want a perfect monologue, shut up, you're kidding me, right. I wrote some of these and they're the ones you're laughing at, so they're like you, it's like having an argument inside his head in front of everybody. Oh oh, it was tough.
Speaker 1: Maybe hire someone a little more secure in their position.
Speaker 2: Right, I mean it's a brutal. Like the reaction videos are pretty amazing. I suggest like going for just like a kind of highlight reel of reaction videos to the jokes.
Speaker 1: Because you said he's not a comedian, he is.
Speaker 2: He's a stand up comedian who's like he.
Speaker 1: Can't handle bomb, Like bombing is part of the job.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I think it's hard to bomb in that like large of us, large scale, like high stakes of a situation, you know, like everybody is watching. It's probably the highest profile thing he's ever done in his career.
Speaker 3: I guess when you look at it that way, because I can't not see it as this is just a trade show with like my friends and like colleagues, So like, what's the big deal? Like we're just fucking around, right right, Because to me, trade shows are always cringe, so it's like, what's the big deal? But to him, I could see, Yeah, I guess this is like there's a lot of big names in the room.
Speaker 1: You don't want to embarrass yourself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, and like I just feel like it's a thankless task generally. They like there's that Chris Rock one where he joked about how Jude Law is in everything and like was like, what's why, which is like true, but for a while their Jude Law was in like every movie that came out, And then like Sean Peng got up there and was like, I'll tell you why. Jude Law is one of the finest actors that we've had.
Speaker 1: Like just like real mad doesn't understand humor.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, he just And it's not like a very conducive environment for like a roasting, you know, but like that's what people the audience expects. One thing, like the television watching audience. The audience in the room is like, don't talk about it.
Speaker 3: So funny because it's set up exactly like a roast kind of yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: The layout is very roast.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, the thing with the golden globes that's supposed to set them apart is it's open bar, so everybody's drinking and like having fun. But it was just that was not the vibe at all. But like I said, the reaction from the crowd of famous actors. They were just like not giving him anything, Like it was just they were using all of their acting and you know, physical facial control to just hang this motherfucker out the drive.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It almost like makes me wonder if we should just send out one stand up comedian every year to sacrifice their career and we can and we can just see the most gifted actors be wordlessly cruel to someone, because that's kind of the exercise.
Speaker 1: Of Okay, who's your first pick.
Speaker 2: To sacrifice?
Speaker 1: No, don't answer that. Don't answer that.
Speaker 3: They can't show can show you can't you can't be doing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we need rogan support, so I can't say him. But yeah, there are people responding like they just like got a terminal diagnosis to some of his jokes, like just like putting their head in their hands and shit, like it became a thing like as it was going on, it was like, all right, how cruelly can we react to each of these attempted jokes?
Speaker 3: Yeah, because I guess there's like a fucked up like feedback loop in the room with something, because it's like, yeah, it would be totally different because we've all seen people bomb.
Speaker 2: But yeah, yeah, this is it's.
Speaker 3: Got to hit different when you see like, I don't know, fucking Leonardo DiCaprio like wincing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like people were like wincing and just like averting their gaze and uh but like in a very studied, well crafted way, like they're they're good at giving somebody absolutely nothing because they're fucking act so they're great. So yeah, it's it was entertaining.
Speaker 1: I was.
Speaker 2: I didn't watch it live, but I went back and watched the monologue and uh, just.
Speaker 1: Past my.
Speaker 2: All right, there's a weird story from over the weekend that the Secretary of Defense, Lloyd Austin, reportedly went for an elective medical procedure at the end of December, had to be admitted to the ICU on New Year's Day after experiencing severe pain, and the White House like wasn't informed until days later for some reason, and like so basically no one knew that we were without a Secretary of Defense for a number of days. I'm not good with like official titles, so I'd forgotten, like what Secretary of Defense is the job held by Donald Brumsfeld, So it's like the the Rumsfeld job, So like kind of a big deal, or at least it has been in past administrations.
Speaker 3: And the year the Secretary of Defense became an unknown unknown.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there you go, he made himself a non unknown, Like I guess he like put one of his subordinates in charge, like on acting Secretary of Defense duty, but like they were on vacation in Puerto Rico and didn't know he was like going into the hospital, and like they're they're saying the reason for this is because he's a very private person. But it's also just confusing because according to like one former DoD chief of staff, there is a system in place to keep track of high ranking officials at all times, and even the Deputy Secretary of Defense who assumed some of his duties after he was admitted to the hospital, wasn't told why that was happening. So he sounds like I don't know, but partially it just sounds like toxic masculinity, like just like, oh my god, I'm sorry, I'm so tough that I didn't even think to report I was going in for a fucking medical procedure. I didn't even think about it. Okay.
Speaker 3: He reminds me of like the Sopranos, where it's just like, Yeah, it's like it's his inability to to be vulnerable or say what's right, what he's going through, and so he just disappears for like three fucking days. Yeah, but really he was just i don't know, in bed crying or something.
Speaker 2: Right, it's like therapist, Yeah, just like your dad calling you like three days after he gets out of the hospital, be like, hey, I was in the hospital, but everything's cool.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, literally my dad.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Like, I think a lot of people have had experiences with that. I was like, it was so not a big deal because I'm so tough that my own death and infirmity doesn't even FaZe me. Bro, It's like not a thing. I'm also wondering, I think everybody's kind of wondering this, is there any chance his medical procedure was just like like he's going to come back with the most beautiful calves in the world and everyone will just have to pretend like his routine medical procedure wasn't getting calf implants.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let me look at let me look at a picture of this guy.
Speaker 3: And let's bring up his calves inappropriately postulate on what the seizure he had done. I'm thinking just just looking Okay, So he looks like a black conservative.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 3: When I say that, I'm speaking of his hairline. If anybody's confused, you can always tell a black Conservative by their hairline. So I'm guessing hair transplant. He's gonna come back, oh with corn roads.
Speaker 1: I'm I'm I'm calling corn.
Speaker 2: Come hairline just like like just one forehead comes back with a two head, like just the narrowest forehead. Because his hairline is just aggressive. Now it's like on his face, oh man, or could be calf implants. I like the idea that he's just like.
Speaker 1: Hey, I mean, I can't.
Speaker 3: I typed in Lloyd Austin Calves, but I didn't. I didn't find any good pictures.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, let's take a break. We'll come back with a few more news stories. We'll be right back.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and we're back.
Speaker 2: We are banned. So a couple of things I kept hearing on the anniversary of January sixth, Like I said, congratulations, brother, you got away with being there on January sixth. I kept hearing that from my comrades. But the January sixth, so in the media, not from the people I was partying with. On January sixth. In the media, the January sixth investigation was being described as the largest law enforcement operation in the history of US law enforcement, which, like, that's how is that possible? Excuse me, I guess, like, I don't know. I feel like we should have spent more time on the JFK assassination if that's true that the largest one is January sixth, like they all like filmed themselves. How I don't know.
Speaker 3: I mean, yeah, I guess when you look at the numbers here, like at least two two thousand people from each state participated in January sixth, according to these notes, I'm like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah. That was the other like thing that they kept mentioning was like it was at least two thousand people from each state, which there were one hundred thousand people there like storming the capitol. So our definition of like who was involved is pretty wide, right, that's like anybody who shared a like dank meme suggesting that Mike Pence should be hanged, like it is considered somebody who participated. I'm not sure it's yeah, I mean, it seems like it's quieted down the insurrectionist community except for Donald Trump. But may maybe everyone's just like kicking back and being like, yeah, well we'll be fine. He's gonna be president again. So that's that's why it's been kind of quiet. But I'm sure this has had its intended effect, and a lot of people are shutting the fuck up about overthrowing the US government at this point.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, I mean you remember what it was like they were it was like a dog catching a car.
Speaker 1: They had no clue what to do once they got in there.
Speaker 2: It was so embarrassing, like I don't know, they stole that lectern and like waved at the camera.
Speaker 3: Like literally I remember watching that footage of people, Like once people got inside, they were like holy shit, yeah, like whoa look at all this, Like they had no clue how to overthrow a government.
Speaker 2: And then there were like two people who were like fancy themselves as like operators, big operator.
Speaker 3: They had they had, you know, they had the real the psychopaths like in the crowd. But it's like most of that crowd was like not I don't think they were actually there, yeah, properly overthrow a government. They were just like, oh man, look at all this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're not gonna have to. It turns out they're just gonna reelect Donald Trump. Yeah, I feel like that. I feel like there were a handful of people in there who's like have self self described nicknames like Spider, who were like there to do damage. Yeah, but yeah, it's it's wild. Like the the extent of the investigation was it was someone surprising to me. Marjorie Taylor green h was scheduled to host a book signing that also specifically proclaimed that it would be held on the occasion of the third anniversary of January sixth, with tickets ranging from forty five dollars to one thousand, but the events venue canceled the booking, claiming that it was pitched to them merely as a small book signing event, not a birthday party for an attempted insurrection, and so she had to like scramble. Last second, there's a picture of her like signing books at an event where but she was the only one picture and there's just like thousands of books next to her without anybody in the picture with her, which suggests to me that maybe I feel like they would have added some people to the picture if anyone, literally anyone had showed up to the event.
Speaker 1: Or if anyone knew photoshop.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, not their strong suit.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: It's also like appears to be at a daycare. I don't know, like like in the background, there's like a Barbie dream house and just like a bunch of toys. It's very very strange.
Speaker 1: Wait, but Barbie's all woke now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what the heck?
Speaker 1: What the hell?
Speaker 2: All right, there is a report from the inner side that CNN runs everything past the Jerusalem Bureau, and that's something that like CNN allows, like says is the truth. But this is like extreme even for US mainstream media because basically the Jerusalem Bureau has close ties to IDF sensors and so like one member of CNN's staff who spoke to the Intercept said that the internal review policy has had a demonstrable impact on covers of the Gaza war. Every single Israel Palestine related line for reporting must seek approval from the Jerusalem Bureau, or, when the Bureau is not staffed, from a select few handpicked by the Bureau and senior management, from which lines are most often edited with a very specific nuance that favors Israeli narratives.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean you can you can see it.
Speaker 3: There's clearly to me, there's clearly a mandate, yeah, for Western during the you know American media that like, yeah, there is a there's a line that you have to you have to stay within to report on this.
Speaker 2: Yeah. They also CNN also hired a former IDF soldier to contribute writing and reporting to CNN's war coverage. Her name has appeared on dozens of stories citing the IDF spokesperson and relaying information about the IDFs operations in Gaza, and she served in the IDF spokesperson unit before getting the job with CNN. But yeah, just in terms of like the specific content of how this works, the CNN staff member said that basically, like war crime and genocide or taboo words like those will get edited out, and then Israeli bombings and Gaza will be reported as blasts attributed to nobody until the Israeli military ways in to either accept or deny responsibility. Quotes and information provided by Israeli army and government officials tend to be approved quickly, while those from Palestinians tend to be heavily scrutinized and slowly processed. So it's just a system that only favors one version of things, which is matches up with exactly what I feel like a lot of people feel like they've been seeing from outlets like CNN.
Speaker 3: Yeah, my partner was just talking to me yesterday about, like, you know, all the the people that she like follows on Facebook who have been booted off of Facebook of all things, for merely supporting Palestine. Yeah, and yeah, it's just, yeah, it's wild to see like what is clearly like a mandate happening of you can't actually report on this.
Speaker 1: You have to tell our truth and that's that's it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then just a weird trend. I noticed over the break that multiple, like mainstream media outlets were reporting on how cats kill so many animals. Like but we, like I had talked about this a long time ago, or like we had written an article back at Crack like years ago about how there was a scientific consensus that when you look, you can tell whether an outdoor cat lives in a neighborhood by the health of the local bird population. Like, they're just like walking, stalking, mass extinction events. They're just crazy efficient killers and when you let them roam free, they will kill everything in their path. And so I don't know I just started seeing this pop up again. First, the New York Times ran an article that was basically a summary of all the different types of living creatures that cats feast on, just like two thousand, including like close to a thousand different types of birds, but like also insects, lizards, sea turtles, apparently like the babies. Yeah, but yeah, it basically seems like the scientific consensus is coming around to like cats are outdoor cats are like invasive predators. So I don't know that that seemed to be kind of in line with what we've seen and like talked about before. But there's this article in the New Yorker that's like very by Jonathan Franz and the guy who wrote the corrections, and it dropped on Christmas Day, and it's just like very, he's a burder. He's like one of the people who, like you know, is really into like what looking at birds, and it's just full of like disgusting imagery of like feral cats that like makes you like start to think of like feral cats as like vermin. And I don't I'm I think like everything in the article is reported, you know, I don't think he's like making anything up. But it's just very strongly like anti outdoor cat population. Yeah, you can feel the like we need to start killing these things, am I right, folks? Which I don't know, maybe maybe that is the correct policy, but it's uh, it's pretty wild. It's like two major stories that kind of had the same kind of implication popping up around a time when there's like so many cat lovers in the country. I think the cats that are talking about are generally like feral cats. But still, it's wild times, bad times to be an outdoor cat out there, folks, well.
Speaker 1: As someone with toxic plasmosis.
Speaker 3: I love cats to an irrational degree and leave the cats alone.
Speaker 2: Are you do you have outdoor cats?
Speaker 3: I used to let my cats out outside, and then we had this whole coyote problem, so they don't go outside.
Speaker 2: They kept eating coyotes.
Speaker 3: Your cat, Yeah, like when when I let them, when I let them out, Oh yeah, just voracious, just reveling in murder constantly. They are killing machines to a supernatural degree. So not doubting this that they killed billions of birds every year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, billions with a bee according to.
Speaker 1: The leave the cats alone, okay or it's.
Speaker 2: Ugly, right, Yeah, I feel like this is like going to hit a Like I'm not taking a side one way or another, but I feel like this is going to be very controversial, like you know, just everywhere in America because there are so many cat people, and then it seems like there's a healthy push coming from people who think like cat populations need to be cold. Anyways, cat people, beware of Jonathan Franz and he's coming for your cat's author of the Corrections that is going to do it for us on this Monday, January eight. We are back tomorrow with a whole ass episode of the show, a troll episode, whole ass. Until then, be kind to each other, be kind to yourself, get the vaccines, don't do nothing about white supremacy, and we will talk to you all tomorrow.
Speaker 5: Bye.