Speaker 1: To on the move, Dallan Deep speedless, peace, do hell.
Speaker 2: From the Baptist Health Studios inside the Baptist Health Training Complex.
Speaker 3: This is Drivetime with Travis Wingfield. He's good, my avands in the playoffs?
Speaker 4: What is up?
Speaker 2: Dolphins? And welcome to the Draft Time Podcast. I am your host, Travis Wingfield. And on today's show, we have reached double digits. Day number ten from Dolphins Camp, our last day before joint practices as the Falcons roll into town tomorrow, we'll rip through the practice notes here from John new Smith, Austin Jackson, and the Orange Jersey player of the day, Quentin Bell. You do not want to miss his story. Plus coach Mike McDaniel give us some updates and talking points from the Baptist Health Studios inside the Baptist Health Training Complex.
Speaker 1: This is.
Speaker 2: The Time Podcast.
Speaker 3: Hey JAF, Let's.
Speaker 2: Kick it off today with a little bit of news. First off, we go in the way Back Machine. Tim Bowens has been inducted into the Dolphins Ring of Honor. I know you've seen all the content by now, but Timbo man number twenty eight all time member in our Ring of honor here. So when you come out to hard Rock Stadium this year, and you fix your eyes on another long ball touchdown from two of a week.
Speaker 3: He's got hell. He's got hell.
Speaker 2: In the periphery, your unfocused portion of your vision will see up on the upper deck facade, Tim Bowens. That'll happen on October twenty seventh against the Cardinals. What a party that will be. And I remember playing Madden back in those days. Yeah, back in those days they had Madden and user controlling Zach Thomas and just running everything off. Tim Bowens to make twenty five tackles a game. Great players, those two. So it was cool to see Zach Thomas introduce him to the media and announce his selection into the Ring of Honor, and then to see Timbo get emotional about the entire thing. Man, how can you not be romantic about football? Other news, and fast forward about twenty years here. That coach gave us injury updates today on Anthony Walker Junior and Jordan Brooks. So they're both dealing with something, but there's no timeline as we are want to know. But he's not too concerned about those guys's long term availability. They'll see them against soon here and similar with Jordan Poyer, although not the same language used there. He hasn't worked in a few days. Coach should say we'll see him again, so we'll see how long that keeps him out. Kind of get the census a little bit longer than Brooks and Walker. But I digress. We also didn't see Waddle nor Ramsey today, and there were actually quite a few reps for the twos and threes across the board, and it kind of makes sense. We saw plenty of scholar Thompson and more Mike White than we have in recent practices. As I assume you figure to see a pretty healthy workload from Tua in the ones against the Falcons tomorrow and when day. In the past couple of years you've seen in this right, because it's typically no Tua in the first preseason game. Where's dua? Why did I say it like trump right there? Yuck? You never know, But that's sort of the recent trend with this first preseason game, right. I think last year it was Mike White got the first half, Skylar Thompson got the second half, and then you start to get into managing the reps around the schedule of what's to come, and I think we got a bit of that today, as we probably see more practice reps for the ones and none in the game. Last year, we saw that first game against the Falcons. It was like twenty five inactive, so you start off with twos and threes to kick off the game and you end with fours and fives. We did see camp Smith back out there, although his participation was limited to the individual portion of practice. No team worked for him, but tells you he's getting close to a full return, which I really want to see that. I need to see him out there playing. I text Kyle because you know, I miss Kyle today. It didn't have out practice today, but it's you know, it's nice having two set of eyeballs that I trust a pair compared to just one. Not saying I don't trust anybody else, but I won't blindly trust anybody besides Kyle out of practice. So I told Kyle, like, gosh, here he is again, Cam Smith and individual drills, moving better than all the other cornerbacks out there and making me buy back in just based on how he moves around the football field. But I want to see him get some reps and hopefully start to pick at those you know, first year scars of not seeing a lot of playing time and kind of getting put into that bin off to the side of the of the toy room, as it were, where you kind of get neglected for an entire season. And it's that's a tough place to come back from for some players, and I think most players from the mental standpoint. But I want to start today with the actual practice notes, with something that I think often gets lost in the shuffle during training camp as we pivot away from news to I guess what the entire purpose is of training camp? You know, I know we can tend to be a little bit results oriented, and I guess the entire nature of these, you know, training camp review podcasts are kind of like that. I'm telling you what happened. We can take away from that. But I also appreciated the line of kind of progression we got over the first couple of weeks of camp and kind of getting some insight into how coaches view the progression and how there are certain results that you just flat out cannot concern yourself with over the first week or two, and then you start to build and build and generate your progress into what we might actually see on a game day. But just always remember that in these practices it's an accumulation, a building block approach, if you will. And today, earlier than I can remember the last three years of doing this, and we don't have a full camp complete yet, but in I guess two and a half training camps under Mike McDaniel, I think we're seeing a lot of the playbooks start to come into focus, which hasn't been the case in years past. To really, you know, drive that point home. I'm not going to report exactly on what we saw because that's against the rules and to put your team at a competitive disadvantage, which remember, if you're a Dolphins fan and listening to this, you most likely are if you tweet videos of our players for internet clout, that makes you a bad fan. Look, I'm not right in the rules here, but there's no other way around that because you understand that there are other scouting departments across the National Football League who have a guy who is combing through Dolphins Twitter and finding videos and relaying it to coaches in season as a potential look at what we might do. So don't do that if you don't want to tip off our plays to our opponents, because they will find it. Okay, all good, Okay. All of that said, it's cool seeing the offense come together with a bit of the fun design, the unique wrinkles, seizing advantage of overplay, the short passing game, all the weapons that they brought in to make that happen. And as we get ready for the Falcons, I thought today was one of the offens's more crisp days, just in terms of getting the ball to the open man, taking what the defense gives you, a smooth operation, well timed motions in the backs, seeing the gaps on time, quarterbacks being on time, just everything looking more September ready than it was back in July, for instance. And what a great sign that is heading into joint practice work, because you know, I remember twenty twenty two the joint practices Dolphins gave Tampa and the Eagles the business. Remember the Eagles were only here for one day because we had to cancel the second day of that practice, but they came off of that practice. I think it was Brandon Graham who said, like, you know, after they won the Super Bowl, he was like, we thought that was going to be the team we'd see in the Super Bowl. After that practice, that's how good they were, and they gave Tampa the absolute work over in Tampa Bay a couple of years ago, but then last year it wasn't quite as good. The Falcons kind of had a back and forth, you know, battle with us, and then who else was it? It was at Houston, right, Houston had some good work force and we didn't know how Houston, how good Houston was going to be at the time, but they were some back and forth battles and those practices too, And again like who cares? Because does anybody remember those results besides me and the podcast here. But I do think that the ability to take it to other team at this point of the calendar it shows a good level of progress for where you are. And hopefully we can do that and beat the crap out of the Falcons next couple of days and then take it to the Commanders next week and then take it to the Bucks in two weeks. But I want to start today's soundbites with two from Mike McDaniel that I think coincide with that concept. It pairs well with the level of competition we've seen so far throughout Dolphins training camp. The accountability that guys have talked about here. It speaks to having a roster that the NFL players voted as having eight in the top one hundred and quite frankly, I think Phillips and Holland were snub from that list. I think Jordan Brooks, Kendall Fuller, and Devon A Cham should all have a say in that. But I also could probably argue that, based upon last year's production and performance, you could probably take Jordan Poyer off that list, and probably to Ron Armstead. So there's give and take, Like don't you can't say we have eight we should have had twelve. Like if you're gonna take if you're gonna put guys in, you have to take guys out. And that's just kind of how that all goes. And we know this list can be built on reputation. I trust what the players have to say about guys they line up against. But the whole voting system is kind of skewed because you only study guys that you play against. So a defender in the NFC that doesn't have the Dolphins in the schedule isn't gonna know what Tua did this year. Like it's a funky it's a funny diconomics. You like the player's opinions, but it's not a complete opinion, if that makes sense. All that said, I digress, I think Jordan Brooks, you know, Kendall Flord, Devon a Hian Can I'll have a say in that list as well. So, but having this roster of talented players and having them mostly taken care of from a contract standpoint, establishing your core of guys that know they're going to be here for the foreseeable future, and how that can empower them to really take ownership of this team. Like Tua said the other day, this is the player's team, it ain't Mike's team. And I think that's something that McDaniel has really established as his culture, like being true to the player's coach form, but also a guy that doesn't shy away from holding players accountable. There was a drill the other day at the close practice, the cancelation from the stadium practice, where like guys were complaining too much about you know, oh, he's he's tagged off. He's down there and they're like battling over what the actual ruling was, and he was like, Hey, shut the hell up and let's get back to work and they went right back to work after that, so he has definite command over them, but he has empowered the players to you know, be the ones that run the show, and he says much so, I'll let the players tell you how that works, rather than my making my assumption about what I think. Let's first hear go to coach McDaniel who talked about what it has meant to see Tua and Riek get paid and how their leadership has expanded off of this.
Speaker 5: I think that it's a cool part of the process. I think the team appreciates that some of the the best players we have on our team, you know and and really want them here. So when contracts are agreed upon on you have a little more stability and a little more known.
Speaker 3: So that's exciting.
Speaker 5: But you know, I I think I think the team has really responded to how the aforementioned players have responded to those types of things in terms of understanding that they're that As much as that is, uh, it's an accomplishment in itself. The the bigger goals and where they want their careers to be uh, what they want their careers to be known for is through the team. And you know, I've seen it even more investment into the team by all the players that have had new contracts, and I think that goes a long way.
Speaker 2: And that entire diatribe, you know, what I just said, was essentially confirmed there by coach. And you see it in sports all the time, don't you, guys. That. I mean, they get paid and the performance falls off. I remember Richie Sexton, that's a throwback for you longtime baseball fans. I got a big contract from the Mariners after a monster run with the Milwaukee Brewers, and I don't know if he wasn't working anymore, but the performance sure as hell fell off, Like it happens all the time in sports, right And there's definitely something to be said about complacency in any profession. I can tell you guys straight up here, there was times in this job where maybe complacency got the best of me and I wasn't I don't think the best version of myself at times, and that's that was a wake up call in some sense. And that's just simply not happening here with these players, especially when you ask coach McDaniel.
Speaker 5: That's that's what's been exciting from the team standpoint. I think that's what the team is excited about. Is you do have one or two directions. It's generally not the same as you have the negative way, which we're not experiencing, or you have players respect on to that investment with the with really the the what comes along with that in terms of uh, the the devotion to the team. Quite frankly, if you're a big piece of the salary cap and you're trying to be a good team, that that piece should be spent wise wisely, and there's a there's there's different leadership things that you're capable of doing that.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 5: I've really seen guys seize the moment and and step up their investment so that they can be the reason why we you you want to be a reason why you win, not win in spite of someone. So I think I think that it's been really exciting to watch our team develop as there's been a lot of individual talk. Uh, there's probably been more individual talk than years past, and the reaction has been more team investment and more self sacrifice really across the board by this team.
Speaker 3: So that's been exciting.
Speaker 2: I really like that, and it coincides with you know, you either get better or you get worse, you do not stay the same, and Waddle has had his best camp in my opinion, Tua has as well. And it's tough for Tyreek to beat twenty twenty two because I don't think I've seen another player dominate in a game or practice the way Reek did back in twenty twenty two's training camp. But he is pushing up against that legendary training camp with the work he's done this year. He's making all kinds of plays, and the roster is just full of guys like that, like Jalen Ramsey, who you know last year. So here it's kind of an interesting timeline for Jalen and myself with our relationship or whatever you want to call it, because I was on is it paternity leave? Is that the right phrase?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I was on paternity when we signed our free agents last year. So that's why we didn't have the free agent twenty twenty three interviews on the Drag Time podcast because I was off and so I didn't get to meet him then. And then in training camp he went down on day two, so all of a sudden, he's not available to speak to from day two of camp until you know, week nine of the regular season, and he even told me this when I saw him. He said, like, you know, last year, I was so just focused on getting back from the injury that I didn't really have time for anything else. And lo and behold, I talked to the guy that I thought was maybe a little bit reserved and didn't have much time for someone like myself, and he's the nicest damn guy you could possibly meet, like Cordial telling me like I told him like how much I thought of his game, and he was like really appreciative of that. So I just continue to see the same themes as I. You know, I am a fly on the wall in so many senses with these players in this roster. And Jaylen Ramsey's just like that, but he's so locked in and so keyed in on what makes him, you know, a Hall of Fame player, first ballot Hall of Fame player. And I think this roster has achieved that envious position where the best players are also the hardest working players, and the trickle down result is, you know, hey, if Jalen Ramsey is doing that, if Tyreek Hill and Tua Tungabailoa are doing that, and I'm Cam Smith and I'm you know, Brayln Sanders and I'm Skyler Thompson. What the hell is my excuse to not do more than those guys that are establishing this league of star players. How does a one year minimum contract player or a rookie look at the guy and be like, I did enough today? You can't because your peers that are the best in the world are doing as much as they possibly can. And it goes back to my belief that this team has a good problem in that they might have too many captains to possibly narrow this thing down to seven or eight players, Like, I don't know how they're going to do that. It's too many guys. And I asked coach this, and even though he didn't practice today, I thought it was worth pairing with the rest of the concept here in segment one, I ran the audio from TUA on Saturday, just said him. He's him and that's great and tells you all you have to know about Jalen Ramsey. But McDaniel gave me a tad more as he has wont to do on the impact of having Ramsey involved on the field this year, in addition to all the input he gave last year in the meetings and walkthroughs and just being an absolute sponge or I.
Speaker 5: Hadn't seen up to that point a player involved himself as much as Ramsey did while he was hurt.
Speaker 3: That being said, he's more impactful when.
Speaker 5: He's not hurt, and I think he's I think he's comfortable with me saying that. You know, there's there's I've challenged a lot of guys and and there's been kind of a theme where you know, the first step is is expressing what you want or talking, but the most important step that really really makes honest words of your proclamations are your actions.
Speaker 3: So you know, Jalen's.
Speaker 5: Both put it upon himself to verbally set the tonality and.
Speaker 3: Then follow through uh with I mean he every day he makes UH, he's probably he's on a heater right now.
Speaker 5: Probably the last five practices he's done something that I hadn't seen a player at his position due so that that is probably the most important thing is is uh, your actions and and and the way you're trying to contribute to the team. Jalen knows that he can have as big of impact as anyone on the team, you know, with the with the type of player he is, He's taken that extremely serious and has been a very intense participator in in training camp.
Speaker 2: Practice and what have I praised Jalen for all camp long for how they've done a good job limiting deep shots, the best passing offense in the entire NFL, and the minute he steps off the field, when you know it, Tua and Tyreek connect for a deep one. And there were a few deep shots that could have been completed today but just did not get finished. Skyler Thompson had Anthony Schwartz on one but it was dropped. Thought the ball was too flat as well, but he should have definitely caught the football, but it was a little bit flat, didn't have enough air under it. Tua and Reek had one on a step over Ethan Bonner, but I think Tua just didn't spin the ball the right way or didn't get enough on the throw. And it was really windy today as well, so that could have had an impact by far the windiest day of practice so far. But you know, I thought Skyler was also battling the wind on some of the vertical shots. But I think the one that rek the miss to Reek was just a miss by Tua. But then he tries it again and throws the best ball we've seen all camp, long fifty yard hand off down the field where Tyreek was like five yards in front of the dB, and Tua uncorks this thing and Tyreek with the acceleration, the burst, you know, track and locate the football, go make a sliding catch on a perfectly thrown ball. Just professional football, man. It's cool when you watch these guys do at the highest level. Tua today, I thought, did more of the stuff we've seen over training camp, moving off the spot, throwing on the move, getting off the spot, and erasing free rushers and becoming a running threat. But there was a two throw sequence that I just absolutely loved. First was a rip to Craycraft for twenty five yards on a backside dig where he takes the football and fakes the hand off to the shotgun back to his right, which puts his footwork flipped from what he's supposed to be, and from there he's able to scan front side, pull the ball out of the belly of the back and not hit that quick hitter to the right side of the formation. But as his eyes work backside, the feet flip as well, and he carries out this fake and resets his feet and throws a ball right on the bullseye to the former Washington State kook Like. I was so impressed by the footwork and the mechanics and the hip flip and the ability to get the ball up and down from that spot was just really impressive. And then the very next play he gets alec Ingold, who springs a bit of a coverage leak on little wheel route to the right side, and he just loft this perfectly floated ball up the sideline to Ingold for a big catch and run, just a bucket drop on a touch throw. It is fun to watch premier quarterback play man changes the entire way you watch a practice. Speaking of Tua, one last note here and they'll take our first break. There was a moment today where I thought maybe too was done for the day. He's walking up the sideline and I'm thinking, like, they got joint practices. He's gonna take the majority of the reps tomorrow and Wednesday, no helmet in hand. And then he turns back around as the first team offense goes on the field and ten yards behind him there's Darryl Bevell holding his bucket, his helmet and he goes to a knee, Bev does and presents the helmet to Tua like King Arthur pulling Excalibur from the stone, and then Twa bows to Bev's to say thank you, young patawan. And I just thought how fitting that we saw a cool moment like that. After Coach had this to say this morning about the Tua and Bevel relationship.
Speaker 5: Well, you know, there's not many relationships more important to the Miami Dolphins and the fan base than that of uh.
Speaker 3: Uh to en Coach Bevel really because.
Speaker 5: It's the ultimate trust that you have to build on a daily basis and that you have to maintain on a daily basis. And and you know, when at that position, I think the work that they've done together, I would I would attribute.
Speaker 3: To the the the.
Speaker 5: Continued progression of of Tua's game directly correlates to to their work and how and and case and point. You know, you you feel like you almost see a newer, more glistening version of Toua every single time we we step out to a to a new phase, whether that be a Phase two.
Speaker 3: Or a training camp. Uh every year that's been the case.
Speaker 5: So I think that that is a connective relationship that's very important. That is there's a there's only one way to really establish a relationship like that, and that's pure investment on both sides. And and a very proud at how they continue to attack, you know, with pride, you know, to his game and uh, coach Bevill's ownership in his game and they they I'm.
Speaker 3: Happy that they get to hang out every day.
Speaker 5: And I think, uh, you know, Coach Bevill's sense of humors really helped develop to a sense of humor. That's a that's a behind the scenes thing. He's got a lot of jokes. Oh he does. Maybe next time he guys talk to him, ask Coach Belvill to tell you some jokes, low key hilarious.
Speaker 2: And I knew this was a strong bond when at Tua's extension presser, Bev sat in the front row with the tongue of Bilos the family and was on baby duty. One of the best quarterback coaches in the business and holding a seven month old during a press conference. That might be the trickiest job of all. I mean, come on, that's how good is that? That's you know, they say family is football, in this instance, it really is. All right, we have more cool stories to weave in here. I want to come back to the offense and get all this stuff done, and I cannot wait to share with you guys the Quentin Bell content from the day, not comparing the players, but the story is very cam Wake esque all of that. Next Draft Time Podcast, your host Travis Wingfield, brought to you by Auto Nation. Orange jersey prediction tomorrow, it's gonna be Julian Hill. Spoiler alert. Now, I think we'll get one tomorrow, but they don't award the jersey on day two of a joint practice because they don't want to put a target on our guys. Coach answered a question about that last year, like, not a great idea to say, Hey, look this guy kicked your butt all day, let's go ahead and put a target on him. Those weren't the exact words he used, but it makes perfect sense to me. But if we do have one tomorrow, my pick is going to be a Julian Hill. And seeing the way he executes such a variety of blocks and plays and expands this offense, gosh, it's fun. We did a lot on him last week and heard from John Embry and Durham smythe about how he's coming along, his physicality, his expansion in the offense, the year two growth and today Julian had this three play sequence that basically had me like the two guys on water Boy like, oh wait, that's the best quarterback guy scenes and Joe mont Dana or Tackler. I think I just butchered that, but you get what I'm talking about. It was three plays where I'm like, pack up your bags.
Speaker 3: We're good.
Speaker 2: We've seen all we have to see here. Our work is done. That's a damn ball player. So it starts off with a concept that they used to do against Andamikan Su opposing offenses where he was so quick up the field they would just let him get up the field and leave him unblocked and bring over a tight end or a fullback and wham him out of the play. And I don't think it was designed that way. It's hard to I don't have rewind, so I can't go back and check it. But what I saw was z seek vanden Berg shoot the a gap and get through clean. And here comes Julian Hill feeding back across the formation, and he just takes Van den Berger's momentum and drives him right out of the pocket like the tackle box here moves him from that equation and allows the quarterback or sorry, sorry, allows Jeff Wilson to see like, oh, he's gonna take him all the way left. Now I've got cut back lanes to the right because Vandenberg has just abandoned his gap. Let me go get that, and he hits it with conviction. So Julian Hill turns a big negative. Possibly a injury causing hit on your running back in a live situation you don't maybe he never know, and maybe a turnover, maybe he jars the ball loose. All of a sudden, it's a positive game because of Julian Hill's physicality and immense control over his own ability to block and hit the right target points as a blocker. The next play, I'm laughing because this doesn't happen. I've seen NFL guards fail for sixty snaps a game to do this. Once, Zach Seeler is playing like a four tech, like a four to four eye technique, and the tackle winds up pulling outside of the tight end and he goes in there and has a down block on Zach Seeler and he pushes him back two yards I'm pausing and I'm trying to emphasize how impressive that is, because that's all it is. I mean, it's one of the best. It's one of the most productive defensive tackles in the National Football League. A guy that freaking you know, I don't know what gladesman do as far as like farm work, but that's what the kind of stuff that Zach does. He's out there wrestling alligators and whatnot. And then Julian escorts Malik Washington, who takes an end around. And this is part of the cool offensive design we saw today. You guys know what orbit motion is when the receiver or the eligible goes in motion behind the entire formation, and then you have return motion where he goes back to where he came from, come back from whence you came. He goes on orbit return motion and takes a little sweet play to the outside, and Ken Fuller has this thing locked down.
Speaker 4: He is.
Speaker 2: He is thou shalt not pass across the edge as the force defender. And here comes Julian Hill and it's not I'm sure Fuller didn't want to see this, but here comes Julian Hill who gets in position to square up Fuller and take him out of the play and create a lane for Malik to hit a ten plus yard run. It was so impressive, And I've I have a pre recorded segment for the Thursday podcast where I talk about Julian. This segment was after I recorded that, and like, I'm so glad that he confirmed what I already put on tape, because my god, he looks awesome. So we also got John hus Smith on the mic today to talk about the tight end position and McDaniel's comments last week about the versatility of that position and how it correlates to the versatility of your offense.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean man at the tight end, uh and and and any offense man is really the guy that really helped really creates the defense to move. You know, that's that's the that's the adjust you know where he's usually the strength for the formation, and you know he's usually the guy that's going across the formation, motioning across and shifting and just moving all over the place. That causes a defense to move, That causes causes the defense to adjust. So if you got a guy already that's you know, giving the defenses headaches, and then when you go out and you know.
Speaker 2: He got it.
Speaker 4: He has a certain skill set that's that's hard to defend. You got a lot of problems on Sunday, man. So that's why I love playing in the position, you know what I mean, and uh, just being able to use my advantage against teams, and you know, it's part of the reason why I'm going to my aphia of the NFL. So glad to be doing it with UH. With Mike McDaniel calling the plays. Man, he's a hell of a coach, hell of a play caller, So it's excited about everything we got in front of us.
Speaker 2: Hell of a coach, hell of a play caller. I thought that was really interesting. He also talked about, you know, playing multiple different spots, and I want to go ahead and just run this audio because well, let's just go ahead and play the audio from Johnny.
Speaker 4: I mean everything, man is everything whatever, you know, whatever I'm called to do, you know, he's gonna utilize me to my skill set. That's why I'm so excited about being here. You know, I've been in offenses where you know, my talent has been utilized and underutilize. So it's good to be back on inside.
Speaker 2: I've been in places where I've been properly utilized in places where I've been underutilized. New England. I remember they signed him and Hunter Henry. I was like, oh, no, that's a problem. Those are two really good football players. Were you guys like me? Probably not. I became a Titans fan in twenty nineteen, especially that run of the playoffs. One of the most happy I've been watching football in the last decade plus because we just hadn't had a lot of playoff success around here. Was watching Ryan Tannehill beat the Baltimore Ravens in that twenty nineteen Divisional round game and John new Smith had some big plays in that game, and I'm like that, I want dolphin, give me that, make that a dolphin. And then he goes to New England and I didn't like that, but then they didn't know what they were doing offensively, and so he kind of fell out of favor for a couple of years. Then goes to Atlanta and an offense similar to this one with Arthur Smith and balls out. So I want to go ahead and play one more SoundBite here speaking of our for Smith, how is the offense coming along for you and how are you picking it?
Speaker 4: Up.
Speaker 2: Is it second nature for you yet? When does that happen one more time?
Speaker 3: John new Smith, Well, I've been in this system.
Speaker 4: It's kind of you know, West coastyle system for a while now, you know what I mean, going back with Arthur Smith, Matt Lafleur been in his offense for a while now. So it's a lot of familiar terms, you know, a lot a lot of the same schemes, just different, uh, you know, ways of ways addressing it up, different ways addressing it up. So just learning, learning already, having an idea of what we're trying to do makes it a lot easier, you know what I mean. So just continuing and hond on. Uh, you know this this this playbook, and you know, establishing my role in it, you know what I mean, And you know, just attagging it every day, every night, you know, whether it be in these meetings and these walkthroughs. You know, already a couple of weeks in, everything's coming a lot slower. So you know, it only get better from here on out.
Speaker 2: And man, you kind of noticed that about so many parts guys that were added with the intent of how how they can help with what we do. Right, we had the core evident by these contracts and the core received that those core guys received the last month with Wattle, tu La Ric and so on. But then we went to work adding parts that could support and supplement those guys and make their lives easier, but also take advantage of overplay to stop those guys. If you want to play by the old rule of you can't let their best guy beat you. Then we have John new and his familiarity with the system, Malik Washington and how his body of work at Virginia was essentially what we do here in this system. Jalen Riott Tennessee with the inside zone looks and the outside zone combination off of that same exact thing. Odell Beckham, who's played a couple of years in Los Angeles with Sean McVeigh, and how he can maximize positional flexibility because of his ability to play inside and outside while offering vertical stretch. Doesn't it just all make so much sense? Speaking of Jalen Wright, thought he was very good once again today. I think that he just sees things and processes very fast because from my vantage point, there is no hesitation in the second week of practices for a rookie unning back. It's very impressive. And then we have the offensive line, and I want to run some sound here from Austin Jackson, who I don't care what he plays like if he talks, I want to listen to him because he has such terrific insight. Now he has had a terrific training camp so far, and you can set your watch to his performance. Like I lam said, he's kind of one of the guys. I'm just like, yeah, that's good. I don't need to watch that anymore. There's two reps. Good enough. I know what we're getting from him. Let's go ahead and start here. Though, with how Austin spent his offseason, I did.
Speaker 1: I broke it down game by game. I did watch all of them try to find some tendencies within myself, and it gets tough because you can't, you know, it gets really the challenge with that is I could make up an issue and go change everything I do, which you don't want to do. So after watching all the film, it just gave me a sense of confidence and who I am as a player and the things I do well. And I saw definitely a couple of things I need to get better at, which I was a focus.
Speaker 2: In the off season, and of course Austin being Austin, and I had to follow up about how a player balances when he can tinker with things versus just being worried exclusively about putting out good tape in the instance of you know, a player trying to make his way, or Austin last year, for instance, trying to prove to the staff that he was the right tackle. Now that he is, do you feel more freed up to tinker with things? And how do you balance those two approaches?
Speaker 1: And I think our coaches do a good job. My position coaches do a good job of challenging me with new stuff when they see needed need be. I'll also change up stuff on my own, just because that's how it is. In a game like I can't I can't come off the field and as coach what I need to change, you know, something doesn't go my way. So it's a good balance of they'll help me get an idea of what I could change for practice, and then you know, I take those tools and go from there.
Speaker 2: You more hear from Austin. He gave us an explanation or an evaluation on a player that I think has been awesome all camp Long and Patrick paul Us.
Speaker 3: He's great.
Speaker 1: He has a great feet and a great feel for playing left tackle, and then you know all the other stuff that comes with is just helps him even more. He's super not super tall, but he's tall, has a long, slender frame, and he can move really well. And that's the biggest thing to go against guys, to move well and to overpower them still just by your stature. You know, he has a he can make up a lot with that. If he keeps working hard and he's trying to get better every single day, he'll be a pretty legit tackle in this.
Speaker 4: League very soon.
Speaker 2: Some other offensive line notes here extra points style Rob Jones, what a camp he is having more surge today, more space, clearing blocks off the edge or moving guys in a phone booth. And just can't get enough of his pass protection because he's been so fantastic there. And I think that's a real sign of growth from him with how he plays within this system. We know how they want to fly off the football and make their run block and pass block look identical to each other. It's the same thing as route running. You want every route to look the same, but also have the ability to go different. That's not anything new, but he's really taking to it. Jump in quick sets, are there, throw the punch, Bluff the punch, you know, draw your hands, pull him back, and then repunch. It seems to really to have a really good idea of how to vary his looks as a professional offensive lineman. And it makes sense because you have to remember, this is a guy that didn't start playing football until his senior year of high school. He goes to Middle Tennessee State and runs almost exclusively a duo offense, which we don't do a ton of here, but we do have it in the playbook. But it's all vertical sets in the past protection where it's just stay in front of your man and get back to the last scrimage as fast as you can. And these hurry up offenses. And we talk all the time about multiple years in the system and what it does for guys. Keep an eye on Rob Jones on Friday night as we go along here. That guy he might be getting the most of the most from his time here in the offense. Last year he's trimmed down too. He got hurt and he talked to me about how that helped him. You know, kind of see things better from the system and just kind of getting evaluation from a bird's eye point of view, if you will. Also, he came into camp last year at three twenty eight and got down a three twenty one by the season, he's three thirteen right now, and it showed about how quick he is and how lee and how and how mobile he is, but also he still maintained the strength required to play that position. I think Sean Harlowe might might be a roster offensive lineman. He just got here, and I'm very impressed by what I've seen so far. He's super strong, saw a lot of sturdy anchors and good seals against guys that go three fifteen plus a day. To me, he's already the second best center in camp and he's only been here for a couple of days. One more audio SoundBite here for Austin to put a bowl on offensive line talk and the offense in general, which also gets us into our next portion of the podcast with Quentin Bell. Here is Austin Jackson closing out segment two.
Speaker 1: I would say this camp, I am coming off my second Well how do I frame this? I got hurt my first year in this system in my second year, I felt pretty good. So now that I'm in my third year, I just feel even more confident, even more excited. There's a great new slew of rushers doing their job really well. You know Manuel Agba, credit to him, he's gotten a lot better and he's rushing really well. I expecting him to have great season. And like you know Trup Robinson as well. You know, he's rushing really well, having him great training camp. And Quentin Bell, Quentin Bell is having a very offseason. So it's good to go and get those guys every day because it's it's real, it's real work that we do. You know, watch each other and we attack our strengths and weaknesses every day. And I think, you know, having that is definitely just gonna get me better. While I'm already confident.
Speaker 2: And you heard talk about Quintin Bell. Let's talk about him and more on the other side. Draft Time Podcast, your host Travis Wingfield, brought to you by Autoation. You're not gonna hear a better story this training camp than the one from Quentin Bell. He was in the Orange Jersey on this Monday. And sometimes you know you see a camp star start fast and fizzle out. But here we are on day ten and Quentin Bell has the ox cord. Let's first ask him to reflect on that a guy that was winning Scout team Orange jerseys or their camo down here as it were last year, to a guy who's wing the orange jersey and training camp practices.
Speaker 4: You know, I feel like my whole career started in college, has just been a grind, you know, get it out the mud and as we say, and going through that had just made me stronger. It's made me stronger, send me work even harder. You know. I love them people telling me I can't. I love them people tell me no, because I've always known what I'm about and I've always known my skill set and what I can be, and I prove it in college been I mean, I had a great season playing one year of a position, and I know that if I could do that, I could do anything.
Speaker 3: And so I love to grind.
Speaker 4: I love the mud, and I feel like ultimately all these things that I've been through in the NFL, it just made me better.
Speaker 2: It made me want it more, and from that sparks this type of mentality and a player doesn't it.
Speaker 4: I'm getting. I'm definitely getting a lot of great reviews and great views of my peers and you know people, you know, gaining respect and gaining that trust. I just feel like I just been flying around. I feel like I have a high motor and I fight the faster you play, you know, players come to you. You're gonna make plays just off playing fast. And I definitely feel like my speed and my get off and those things are my strengths. And so my main goal is playing as letting the players come to me knowing my assignments. And yeah, I'm flying around. That's the main thing I'm doing, is flying around, man, And I feel like I'm gonna find the ball and just off my speed and just off my want too, my will and my motor, I'm gonna make place.
Speaker 2: And during practice, speaking of those jump sets by Rob Jones, I saw Ryan Crowe doing hands on work with the guys where he threw this pad on and strapped it across his chest and the guys would he would do a jump jump set and the edge rushers would shoot their hands quickly. So I was like, I gotta ask Quentin Bell about this, because Ryan Crowe's group seems to be getting a lot done this camp. How has his coaching impacted you?
Speaker 4: Ryan Crow is amazing that He's definitely probably the best coach I've ever had. He's just a very good teacher. And one thing that I really really pride myself on is being coachable. I feel like to make a switch from receiver to the defensive end, you have to be able to be coached in such a drastic change. And so from the date, from day one in college, I pride myself on being coachable. I need to learn these drills, these techniques, take it to the field. Yeah, I'm fast, but that's only gonna get me so far. I got it better at being a defensive vent, not just an athlete. I feel like Ryan Crow does a great job of just being a teacher doing drills that translate to what we're gonna do in a game in real football. And I feel like I'm absorbing it very well. I mean, I feel like just from Ota so now I've gotten so much better. Just off the Joe's that he's happening.
Speaker 2: To to do a showbity do. Uh Sorry, just the way I ended that last quote was like very Adam Sandler demeanor intensity, even just the way he looks Coach Crow reminds me of Mike Frable. It's fitting he spent time on staff with Mike because I just think from the way he looks physically to the approach and style, it's very veryble esque to me. But man, if I told you no JP, no bea chubb Shaq Barrett retires before camp, No camp good, and I tell you there's a chance the offense. The outside linebackers have had the best camp of any group. Talk about a feather in Ryan Crow's cap right, ogball was good once again, Grayson and Murphy had a sack today, Chop continues to get after it, and Mo Kamara was a freaking problem. He had a fun matchup with Patrick Paul where he crossed face and just plays super low with such explosion and power through that low pad level, and Paul ran him past the quarterback. But he might have grabbed some jersey to do that. And what I love about this is that Patrick Paul gets all these reps against these quick guys that can play so low to the ground and can angle and bend and turn the corner. There's not many edge groups that will test that around the league like he sees every single day down here. In Miami and it's going to help him get ready faster than anything else I can imagine. All right, extra points to close the podcast. River Craycraft Steady as she goes Baby, just all reliable. Caught all of his targets once again, including a tough one off frame. Brilin Sanders is a guy that has kind of made a jump. To me, he had a great catch off frame where Scyt Thompson was way too high and away with the football plucked that thing strong hands. He looks long. It's easy to confuse him with Jody Fortson from a distance, which tells you about the length that he plays with. Not to mention eighty six and eighty eight on the back of the jersey is very tough to tell from a long ways away. Speaking of forts and to me it was far and away his best day. Saw the skills that we saw in Kansas, they did I think made him super intriguing as a free agent prospect. He caught one on a back shoulder where he did a one hundred and eighty degree jump and spun to the front Pilon for the touchdown and Seth from the Fish Tank podcast is sitting right next to me. And says, who is that. That's a big dude.
Speaker 1: Yeah he is.
Speaker 2: He definitely is speaking of big dudes. Tierra Tart starting to make it a habit where he blows through the lion of scrimmage and shuts the play down within one second of the snap each day. Happened again today Leonard Paine had one of those two for a big tackle for loss. The undrafted rookie out of Colorado, Jonathan Harris, continues to deconstruct blocks impressively. He also rejected a pass from Tua on a fourth down play in red zone situational football that was going to an open receiver for a touchdown.
Speaker 4: I think so.
Speaker 2: Point saving plays will always get you in the notes, and so will interceptions, which cater Co who had one of those today, he picked off two in the same drill. Now it was a time expired on the clock. It's either if we don't throw over the ball. It just came over either way. So he threw it into tight coverage, which was there by cater Cohu who made a spinning, leaping jump, jumping catch, leeping and jumping the same thing in the corner of the end zone might not have gotten both feet down but I don't care. It was an impressive display of athletic ability. Speaking of big plays, Jason Matrie had another big play today and this wasn't a pick, but he was left all alone to the short side of the field the boundary with Tyreek Hill without safety help. That's guaranteed touchdown for two and Tyreek most of the times if you do that. He was in phase and competed and elevated and broke the ball up. It was gonna be a walk in touchdowf He didn't get a hand on it, but he did and he knocked it away and his teammates loved it. There's a few players I'm more excited to watch than Jason Matrie, who was a late udfa ad after the original Frenzy, who I didn't know much about from Wisconsin, but he just forces his way into your notes with how he's performed. Let's watch it play out in games. Elijah Campbell had back to back plays in this practice where he got a run stop working behind Jonathan Harris, who again holds up blocks pretty well, and then he also had a pass coverage rep where he plastered on River Craycraft, who threw on his move moving to the left. Great Craft came back to the ball, but Campbell broke on it and broke it up in the end zone. My orange jersey predictions I mentioned, number one is going to be Julian Hill. Number two is going to be alec Ingold, who had a couple of catches and got vertical on some guys and had some good work in the blocking game. I could see him getting the orange jersey and then my third orange jersey, don't. I don't love the pick. I have two guys I liked a lot today. I'm gonna go with tr Tar. I just thought he was constantly in the backfield or at least causing you displacement in the offensive line and pass protection.
Speaker 3: So there you go.
Speaker 2: Also, heads up for Dolphins fans out there who are into the DCC ride. Registration is now open for the fifteenth annual Dolphins Cancer Challenge taking place on Saturday, February twenty second, twenty twenty five. Sign up to join the Miami Dolphins in next year's run, walk or ride and raise funds the DCC. One hundred percent of participant raised funds support innovative cancer research at Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center. Visit riddcc dot com to sign up today Tomorrow Falcons in Town Draft Time podcasts coming back your way. In the meantime, you all please be sure to subscribe to the podcast rate review all that fun stuff. Follow me on social at Winkfold NFL and the team at Miami Dolphins. Check out the fish Tank podcast with my guys Seth and Juice. Check out the YouTube channel for met Availabilities, Dolphins to day draft time content, so much more, and last but not least, Miami Dolphins dot com. Until next time, Finns Up, Come on, Cameron, Daddy
Speaker 3: Come on home.