Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio News.
Speaker 2: The Stock Movers Report, your roundup of companies making moves in the stock market, harnessing the power of Bloomberg Data.
Speaker 1: I'm Tim Stadovak along with Carol Masser. Let's take a look at some stocks on the move.
Speaker 3: We're talking about Intel, which rallied this on a story on how the Trump administration is set to be in talks with Intel to have the US government potentially take a stake in the company, and this scene as maybe helping support Intel' efforts to expand domestic manufacturing. Now, this deal would help shore up Intel's planned factory hub and Ohio. This is according to people familiar with the plan, who said the idea is for the US government to pay for the stake. And we know that Intel has been going through working on a turnaround, cutting costs, cutting workers, cutting jobs and so. And it also comes at a time that we know President Trump was critical of the CEO of Intel at Bhutan. They had a meeting and the President seemed to be more impressed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we could go tell he was calling for his ouster exactly.
Speaker 3: And then changing really's tone. And then we have this story again, nothing is a done deal. But this is again some of the reporting.
Speaker 1: The story the Byeline Ryan Gould, josh Win Grove, and Leanna Baker. Ryan Gould is in here from our deal's team. He's deals reporter for Bloomberg News.
Speaker 4: First to say, wait what I mean? Yeah, seriously, what a what a time to be alive? I guess you know, it's shocking. I mean, it's really it's really a headline. It's quite a statement. I think, let's just recap so Intel cha has jumped as much as eight percent on this headline that the Trump administration is said to be discussing taking a stake in Intel. I mean, let's just be clear, this is kind of unprecedented. I mean, we kind of saw an example with MP materials that you guys just talked about them a short while ago. But I mean, if you think about how we sort of if you're an investment banker or a deal's lawyer and you think about, you know, a company that's been in trouble and is looking to rebuild, did you think that the US government would be a source of outside capital to help you, you know, as part of the tool kit to help this company we built. I'm not sure many people did, and here we are. We're looking at, you know, talks that could help Intel rebuild not only its manufacturing presence, but toward a specific area, which is the Ohio plant that, even under the former CEO of Pac Gelsinger, was kind of seen as a very very key part of making Intel grate again.
Speaker 1: I thought they were pulling back on the Ohio plant. That's what we learned just in recent weeks, recent months, from the company's latest report.
Speaker 4: That's true. And I think if you listened to le boutin Intel C we visited the White House just days ago on the most recent Intel earning score, he made it quite clear that this is about sort of right sizing the house looking inward.
Speaker 1: So how would a deal like this work. I mean, we've spoke to Jim Litinski at MP Materials about the Department of Defenses four hundred million dollar investment, and that's certainly I feel like Carol, we're referencing that interview all the time now, whether we're talking about we grew the Industrial policy or we're talking about exactly rare earths. I mean, I think the question that I that I have is what would an investment from the United States look like, what control would they have? And is money enough to turn Intel around?
Speaker 4: I think the way to probably best think about this, and this is based on some conversations that I've had with people who are very in the know. I think if you were to be the US government putting in an X billion dollar stake or X percent stake into Intel.
Speaker 1: Is an equity, how you think it could be?
Speaker 4: I mean, there's there's every degree we don't know yet, we don't yet know. These are very early stages still, and you know, it's important to note that the White House nor Intel has really commented on the specifics of this. I mean Intel went as far to say that they are in early stage talks of the government, but I mean there are no details here.
Speaker 3: What did you learn about the conversation between President Trump and Intel CEO let Bhutan? Because you saw the social afterwards right from the president, then the.
Speaker 1: Social before from the President that was really critical of him.
Speaker 3: Very critical right, and then afterwards it was like good conversation, interesting background. What happened there.
Speaker 4: I think that's a really I'd love to have been a fly on the wall in that room. From what I can tell based on people that I've spoken to. I think it was a very constructive conversation between the two sides. I think there's a lot of respect from the President's part as to what Intel is trying to do under lipbou Ten. And let's face it, I think if you take a step back and think about who Liphuten is, he's a very very successful, very accomplished man who really understands how semiconductors work. This is a man who sat on the board of Intel and understood some of the challenges it was facing around manufacturing long before these became apparent in our headlines.
Speaker 1: Think about what we were talking about. I wasn't here, Carol, but this story came out a week ago. You were talking about it on air. This here's the post from President Trump just a week ago. Yeah, the CEO of Intel is highly conflicted and must resign immediately. There's no other solution to this problem. Thank you for your attention to this matter.
Speaker 3: That's why I'm curious, like the turnaround and then we saw it after the meeting. So if it take ten steps to get this done, where are we in that process? If indeed this happens, But where would you say we are we on step one? Step two step point five.
Speaker 4: I think just given that, and you know you mentioned the truth social posts that the President made, there were conversations that were going to happen this week with commerce, with Treasury. I mean, Scott Bessett was here yesterday. He's involved in these conversations. How lut naked commerce is involved in these conversations. This is a government wide discussion.
Speaker 3: So is it three steps in four steps in now?
Speaker 4: I think it's really hard to tell. I think based on where we're at, and you know, I think Intel says it's early stage. I think it's probably towards the beginning.
Speaker 1: Do you investors, I'm stuck on this line in your story, the move turned conventional wisdom on its head among investors, analyst, industry executives, and even longtime government officials in terms of how private industry has dealt with the government. That's with regard to MP materials in investment. Do we need to understand and to do investors need to understand that this is a new era when it comes to government involvement in companies.
Speaker 4: For sure, without a doubt, because this is not just MP materials, this is US steel. Yeah, to think about what they got pointed in the Golden Shore and US steel. This is a new age for investment in private industry. I want to say private industry. I've just been outside government and I think this is where he is.
Speaker 2: It's a witness this stock Moovers report from Bloomberg Radio. Check back with us throughout the day for the latest roundup of companies making news on Wall Street and for the latest market moving headlines. Listen to Bloomberg Radio Live, catch us on YouTube, Bloomberg dot com, and on Applecarplay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app.