Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Boys.
Speaker 1: This is the Players Lounge, broadcasting live from Dallas Cowboys World headquarters at the Star. Now your hosts Barry Church, Danny McCrae, Heckma Harrison, and new he Scrugs.
Speaker 3: All right, you are in the SWBC podcast.
Speaker 4: Center on Newly Scrugslaoa, heck Ma Harrison, Barry is the Player's Lounge, and we come to you after the NFL Draft. But we have news today as we're here at the Star that an old face is returning to the organization. Ezekiel Elliott was slated to take a physical ten o'clock, I mean eight o'clock, excuse me. Ten back in the building.
Speaker 3: Go your thoughts.
Speaker 5: Look, I'm gonna say it wasn't a you know, terrible moving in my opinion. You know, I think he can bring it. Come in here, and you know, Zeke, one thing about that. You know he's gonna be able to pass protect and you know he's gonna be able to punch the ball in from the from the five yard end, like he's gonna be able to be that guy that can ground and poind we talked about.
Speaker 2: It on the last episode.
Speaker 5: We need that back that's going to be able to wear defenses down. Is he the same back that he was years ago? Not at all, But.
Speaker 2: I think what he can do can service this offense.
Speaker 5: He can pick up you know, blitzeres and pass protection and he can knock it in from the five yard end.
Speaker 2: So to me, I.
Speaker 3: Didn't, you know, I thought it was a It was a solid move.
Speaker 2: You know, it wasn't a game changer, but it was a solid move.
Speaker 5: We'll talk about the drafting a little bit, but yeah, I think, you know, bringing Zeke.
Speaker 2: Going a solid move BC. I could not be happier there it is. I'm happy. I'm happy about this move. Never should have left, is what I got to see about it. I mean, look, new it got you choked up because you get some more water. Because the thing is is that we talked about this long and hard throughout the season, and I always said, I'm like, look, this is a piece to what we do offensively that the Cowboys are gonna miss. And maybe they made, you know, Tony Poulter the upside with him, the speed portion, and maybe be bringing in a guy like Rico daddo some of those other guys, you would have been able to mix and match them in. I think the thing that you missed most about Zeke last season was those tough inside runs. You missed that. You missed that you were just talking about five yards in in the red zone. You missed that from Zeke. And it was so many times over the course of the season that you were saying seq with a score right there. Zeke would have picked up that blitz. You know, all of those things, and like, man, it's sometimes you don't miss a good thing until it's gone. And I think for him, I can't wait to hear his interview, like what was his experience outside of a building going in New England and what's the feeling for him coming back. I think you make it. For all the rumors and things that people said about Zeke and off season stuff, I think that's you're not gonna get that Zeke. Yeah. I think the guy that you get coming back in and the building is going to be focused and let's keep it real. He can help this team. He can help this team. And so you add a piece that knows the offense, that knows a portion of the offense already and the personnel. Look, it's a perfect fit. And look, man, thank for the organization to put egos aside and bring back a player that they know can help them.
Speaker 5: Well, come on, well, so we don't have to rely on the immortal.
Speaker 2: Two thoughts, it's out.
Speaker 3: First thought is.
Speaker 4: You could if he was if he'd accepted a large your pay cut last year convening.
Speaker 3: That's true.
Speaker 4: You and your agent thought that, you know, you were worth more, and you found out quickly that that was not the case.
Speaker 3: So let's put that there. Uh.
Speaker 4: The second portion of it is you look at the draft. They didn't go get anybody, so now you're here. I I conceived the mentality of it because they had so many holes to feel. We knew there was going to be a wholesome place. So the organization basically, okay, fine, look we we got another. We got another, so we got we got something else. Not going to force anything. I just don't know how much of a difference this is going to make. I'm still the person who remembers all the negativity as he at the end. You know this, it's not that it's a lot.
Speaker 3: Okay, do we forget that that's true?
Speaker 4: This is heck, you don't know if he was born at the time. Tom Lander goes three and thirteen in nineteen eighty eight. Everybody's man, everybody's mad. Games passing by well, then Jerry buys a team in eighty nine and he gets rid of him.
Speaker 3: It's like, oh my gosh, what are we doing. He can't do that. Wait a minute, you guys were all saying it.
Speaker 2: It was done.
Speaker 4: So it's a weird kind of deal. You were done with Zeke makes too much money. Then he's gone. Now we're missing him with Oh gosh, you can't get it for the five yard line, bring him back. So I'm just kind of sitting in the zone of, yeah, if there's a place where he.
Speaker 3: Can help, how he helps, We'll see how his.
Speaker 4: Mentality comes back going to New England. You know, what does he bring back here? I'll be interested.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 3: I always like to say, let it play out. That's where I'm here, Let it play out.
Speaker 2: What was this?
Speaker 4: Due f Royce Freeman? How do they make this running back room work? But uh yeah, Rico and Lepke do, So what is it? I would say, as you look all around the kind of the rooms they have, that's one room. Right now, are you confident in the room?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: Okay, are you confident the right and.
Speaker 2: In my confidence level it stems from do you have the same caliber of a running back that the New York Jets have. You just look around the NFL at the guys that you say that, these are apex guys in the NFL, and I don't look at Zeke at this point in his career as that guy. You know that it's gonna diminish as time goes on. It's a lot of miles, a lot of tread on those tires, right, I believe My only belief is when I when I looked at last season, there were games where Tony Poler really didn't give you anything, uh in the ground game, and you depended a lot on Dak to back up and throw us out of situations. You needed somebody on a third and four to be able to pick up a first down instead of relying on relying on Dak to make that pass. It takes a lot of the pressure off of him. That's all I'm saying. Now, if it's a running back by committee and I'm talking about three dudes that can actually get it done, then I'm okay. With that, all right, I'm okay with three guys having a culmination of sixteen hundred yards seventeen hundred yards between all three of them, I'll take it, all right, Lipkey, give you three hundred break it up, all right? Give them. You're like, I'm trying to go with your vision. I will go.
Speaker 4: I'll go back to Isekia Ellie's previous head coach, Bill Belichick. You played against him. He's run through a lot of different guys through the years. Man Man won a Super Bowl with Antwine Smith and Jr. Read Now it's running back. So he did a mix and match and they figured out what it is they wanted to do. And this is where you go to Mike McCarthy, all right, you got this gumbo here, how do you make it work? And so that's what I'm trying to figure out. But if you are a Cowboy fan and you just go through the years, this is an organization that's been used to a Bell cow running back Dwayne Thomas in their first Super Bowl win? Who should have won the MVP that game? To Tony dor said to EMMITTT. Smith, to Ezekiel.
Speaker 3: Elliott the Marco.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so you're used to seeing a lead dog here, this changing of the guard or how they're going to do this. I like to see because right now, all I can go by is what I know. And around here when they've made it go, they've had one guy and he's going to do it. So they're gonna go a different way. Let's see how they have it a different way.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and then the committee, it can work. The running back committee, it can work. We've seen cases of it. The only thing that worries me about, you know, going into this season, if they don't, if defenses don't respect that run game, and we've seen it all before. They don't respect that ring, they're gonna let all that coverage in the back end make everything murky for Dak.
Speaker 3: And he can that you know, get through the waters, of course he can.
Speaker 5: But that's a lot of weight you're putting on your quarterback when you don't have a run game to help, you know, compliment that passing attack, and defenses is just come to sit back and wait, because if they don't respect that run game, it's gonna be hard to move the ball through the air consistently for seventeen games.
Speaker 3: Who's your starter? Day one?
Speaker 2: See right up right, off the bat. I don't see any of these other guys beating Zeke out in the summer. I don't. I don't see it. You know, you still have one of those guys, that man, he still has some swag about himself. I mean, and look that knew his new England stent. It wasn't it wasn't great by a long shot, finished with like six hundred yards on the ground. But still he show flashes. He show flashes, and those flashes.
Speaker 6: We just came to hope you man was like that man.
Speaker 5: You see what he did the Pittsburgh You got some ju left.
Speaker 3: Kind of a game, a game, not a season game, not a pro.
Speaker 2: Bo, not about the game, game game we needed him versus Green Bay, give me that game versus Green Bay.
Speaker 3: A lot of a lot of games you had this. So I'm just listening to your words, your words.
Speaker 2: You know he's gonna gonna write that down in the little book over there.
Speaker 3: You understand how this is.
Speaker 2: We talked some hope that hoping.
Speaker 3: You're hoping it can be what it was was hoping.
Speaker 2: Yeah, is it?
Speaker 5: You think they're done adding into that room? You think that's the room going into the season. No injury is nothing that could be the room.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I don't know. I would have to think it. The roster construction at the position like that is still still open. But I mean, as we're just talking here.
Speaker 2: It remains fluid.
Speaker 4: When the man left, No, there wasn't a big people had there was there were certain folks who like this, not what he's done.
Speaker 3: Then you call him back.
Speaker 4: So now you're gone from his last year calling him full back to now now you you're want to hope.
Speaker 3: If he can give you five fifty six. I you think he could give you five fifty or six hundred.
Speaker 2: I think, so let's go. Let's go six hundred three. It was two hundred. We put this thing together. Man, it's a piece of puzzle.
Speaker 4: In baseball. This is the equivalent of guy. He's not a starter anymore. Hey, man, we're gonna bring out the bullpens. He gives one to two. That's good. He's not that horse that he used to be. No, so we have to know that el is not the where.
Speaker 3: He used to be.
Speaker 2: It's a lot of a lot of carries, man, that's a lot of carriers. Twenty and sixty five carries for Ezekiel Ellis.
Speaker 4: It's a lot, a lot, like you know, your your body only has so many hits, and so how they use him, how to utilize it.
Speaker 2: It's got This is.
Speaker 3: Truly a committee. Now, this is truly a committee.
Speaker 2: And you go back to those seasons, man, where he had gutsy performances everybody like he's playing with a PCO injury and all of that, and they never come back to that, you know, they never come back to this the way that he gutted out some of those had some gutsy performances and still sty didn't you know, wasn't inactive for any of those games. Like, my thing is is that you need a guy like that in that room. You need a guy like that. And if they're not done, I mean they I know, we're going to go into the draft and what we didn't do. But in the draft, there was obviously some thought processing that that we're going to have to get a veteran at some point and the ones that were left and the likely the likely to them saying, look, this is a guy that we're familiar with, and they just with that move.
Speaker 4: ESPN reporting it is a one year deal with a maximum value of three million dollars or Ezekiel Elliott, which is which Honestly, this is what was going to happen in this market for guys like Elliott.
Speaker 3: We saw Royce Freeman.
Speaker 4: There's there's not the big days of dollars, them being paid big dollars, and the running back is that that's gone.
Speaker 3: So it makes economic sense. So it is what it is. Let's take our first break and dive into this draft.
Speaker 4: I want to know the pick that you liked you down the list. Let's say, you know what, here's a guy that I think can help this team in twenty twenty four. I know he Shruggs Harrison is here, Barry Church here, Buddy Dandy McCrae is out and he'll be back soon. Wishing well players brought to you.
Speaker 2: Bye.
Speaker 3: We'll figure it out. I figured out down the road.
Speaker 4: Here, we're pinning, we're talking, we're talking to folks right now, and we're talking to some people right here on Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 3: I come radio.
Speaker 7: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black, and right now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order plus because every deal needs a playmaker. Your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy liftball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys vip.
Speaker 2: Hi. I'm Danny mccraig, Dallas Cowboys alumni player here with Smoothie King, and Smoothie King wants to ask you, what's that sound. That's the sound of us magically transforming our smoothie bowls into two new decking and flavors. Dig into a cool I Saie or Pataya bowl, handcrafted with crunchy purely Elizabeth Rinola fresh strawberries and finished with the velve chocolate hazel nut drizzle, perfect for breakfast, lunch, or anytime you want to much. And that's the sound of you making them disappear. Smoothie bowls now in two new decadent flavors only as Smoothieking, the official Smoothie of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 8: To kick off the twenty twenty three NFL season, Hugo Boss teamed up with the NFL and Micah Parsons to launch an iconic apparel collection featuring hoodies, crews, T shirts, polos, joggers, and more. The bowld unique apparel of the Boss NFL collection unites football and fashion while reflecting what it truly means to be a boss. Get yours today at NFL shop dot com, slash Hugo Boss, at Hugo Boss dot com, and at Boss retail stores hashtag be your own Boss.
Speaker 3: There is no eye in Dallas.
Speaker 9: There is no eye in heart, either no eye in blue Star or a lone star for that matter, And there's no eye in How about them Cowboys? Smearenough knows there's no eye in football. Football is a wee thing and experience that is best enjoyed together with good drinks and good folks.
Speaker 3: Home or away.
Speaker 9: We rally together, we cry together, and we always rally cry together because there's definitely no eye in Cowboys Fans smearing off we do game days.
Speaker 3: Please drink responsibly.
Speaker 1: Back to the players Lounge.
Speaker 2: The eleventh annual Reliant Home Run Derby is back at Riders Field in Frisco on May first, at six p m. Come see your favorite Dallas Cowboy player swing for the Fences to raise money for the Salvation Army in Michigan Parking our free visit Dallas Cowboys dot com slash Reliant HRD to learn more. See you there, Thank.
Speaker 3: You, Harrison. I'm new.
Speaker 4: We scruged Lor and Barry Church, so range Dan McCrae with the night day off.
Speaker 3: So we spent the first segment diving into Ezekiel Elliott. Yes, coming back to the team.
Speaker 4: Heck things come game one. Ezekiel Elliott is the starting running for this team. The draft was just held here. We saw first round pick Tyler Guidon Friday. I was at the press conferences. Family came here and guys, let me just make sure I preface and say this. I don't know if I've seen another first round pick come in here with so much gratitude with their family, just you know, the Cowboy fans. This this, this gentleman was thoroughly happy to be here.
Speaker 3: I knew michaeh wanted to come here, we know that.
Speaker 4: But just you could just see that they were just overwhelmed with joy.
Speaker 3: That was really fun to see.
Speaker 2: Wait till twenty thirty when they called Hecma's name. Boy. He talked about gratitude. We go bear crawl.
Speaker 3: You're gonna be like Chris Chris was when Duce was drafted. Tears man, we gonna.
Speaker 2: Hate line to the field back here. You're talking about it. You want to come work with dad? All of that?
Speaker 3: You know, can you do it?
Speaker 2: Man? It's uh, you know, I love that with especially the bus ride when you show him get out to play and then the bus ride over the guys see there, see their faces on the digital screen. I mean, it's it's obviously it has to be a dream come true for them and Tyler guy, and he's someone that we got. Well for me, I got an opportunity to see him all year. But because oh your O you games and Brett Ventables was linebacker Kansas State, know him well, good friend of mine. I just got a got an opportunity to see this big fella. And now seeing thinking about him next to Tyler, Tyler is Tyler. There's some big guys on the left side of that offensive line that I think, you know, you know, Cowboy fans should be excited. I know there's some hesitation because of you know, him being being the left tackle, and obviously with with with tyring uh now gone, and look, I think they have to give this guy guiding is going to be a pleasant surprise for a lot of people. His great feet, long arms and everything that you need from your left tackle. Is there going to be a learning curve? Heck yeah there is because the speed is a lot different and you get a chance. But the thing is, you get a chance to go up against Michael Parsons every day and practicing guys like Tank Lawrence, so hey, the learning curve will be quick for him. No, I love to pick. I love the pick.
Speaker 5: You know, we talked about, you know, all the holes that this team has going into this draft, and I think they feel one, especially with this guy, Tyler Guttan right now.
Speaker 2: A big dude.
Speaker 3: I'm talking about six seven. This dude is massive.
Speaker 5: But what I like most about him is his basketball background. So he has, like you said, those good feet, he's athletic ability because he's gonna have to deal with a lot of speed coming off of that edge.
Speaker 3: So I love the pick.
Speaker 2: Right there, they got that offsive.
Speaker 5: Line hopefully solidified, and we'll see it going forward. But I love that first round pick. I mean, we needed it, especially in the trenches on the offensive side.
Speaker 4: I think that they'd do with the first round man and he kind of touchdown pass from Andy Dalton. He's a TCU.
Speaker 3: So but.
Speaker 2: There you go.
Speaker 4: There it is, they doubling CD just go ahead hitting hit him with a bullets So great. Great to meet the Guyton family and to see just how excited they were.
Speaker 3: I really enjoyed that.
Speaker 4: So right, who, when you look at this draft, was your favorite pick of what the Cowboys did?
Speaker 2: Got it? Sir? Okay? So I'm still trying to figure out the round number three. That's the round three pick from Notre Dame. But you please pronounce this name for me.
Speaker 3: I'm not gonna sit up here and tell you I got it, but I think.
Speaker 2: Okay, So here's the deal, and this this guy.
Speaker 3: Is Hooker's cousin, hook coolist cousin.
Speaker 2: I like him already, all right, Jordan Brandal on the table, coming fell. But as far as we knew what we needed, we knew. And I'm just channeling my inner Danny McCrae here because that was exactly what he was asking for. Is a is a linebacker. And when you look at a guy like him and what he can do as far as applying pressure from the blitz. We needed a guy like that to also to be able to blitz the passer, but also a guy that's good in space, and what I saw from him in Notre Dame is he's also good in space. And that's again that's with the combination of what coach Zimmer is going to bring to this defense and the weapons that he already has, you needed a guy like that. I think last year you were looking at our linebackers and you saw that was one of the major deficiencies, the way that they've worked in past coverage and working in space. Where I have questions about sometimes is you know how taking on blocks. You know we saw and you don't want to see these guys down down after down, take on guards and tackles, but just see if he's that physical, let the line of scrimmage. So you know, I really appreciate the pick. I think he's going to work well in this defense and really want to see how he works in combines with guys like Michael Parsons.
Speaker 5: You know, I got to go with my mac representer as well, west Or a Michigan guy right here, Marshall and Eland. Yeah, and you know off the edge, they say he's you know, twitch, he's he's fast off the edge, can get out to the quarterback.
Speaker 2: He's a raw talent though.
Speaker 5: He's a raw talent though, and hopefully he can you know, with guys like Parsons and Lawrence around him, they can help perfect his game. But I think you're gonna definitely need those depth pieces, especially with you know, Armstrong out of here now, you got Fowler was going out of here now. That pass rush was huge for dan Quinn last year because he was able to just you know, rotate those guys in and they were fresh. So this year you're gonna add a little bit of depth there and hopefully if he's able to come along, well, then you can get that that speed package where you can kick the Marcus Lawrence on the inside, you can have Parsons in him on the outside as well, and you can get after the pass rusher that way. What I have liked to see more of a big time space eater in that in that pick right there to basically solidify the interior part of our defense. Yes, but just right here is to me is a good depth piece and hopefully he can come along and provide dividends for this defensive line.
Speaker 3: Cooper b b love it.
Speaker 4: Okay, the offensive lineman out of Kansas State, and I know a.
Speaker 3: Lot of people and I had talked about Zach Fraser.
Speaker 4: From West Westginia, and I believe you checked the draft guy there Bb was rated higher than Fraser. So I made a phone call up to Kansas State this morning and I was told, one of the best people on the team going to be involved in your community events. They put him all around the offensive line when he was there. Eight starts to right tackle in twenty twenty, thirteen starts at left tackle in twenty twenty one.
Speaker 3: Then they moved him inside and unanimous All American. It's tough to do.
Speaker 4: It's tough to do, and to me, what's even more impressive is he did it in the Big twelve because there are a lot of people that when they're doing these kinds of things, they put.
Speaker 3: More emphasis on the SEC and what's going on over there.
Speaker 4: So I think that and people just think, oh, it's the Big twelves is passing league and all they do was throw the ball here. So that he was also a first team All American in twenty twenty two, the Big Twelve Offensive Lineman of the Year twenty twenty two and twenty twenty three, three times First Team All Big Twelve. I look at that and I go back to when Jimmy was drafting players, and also when Bill Parcels's around here.
Speaker 3: Go get me some proven winners. Go get me some people that are doing it at a high level.
Speaker 4: Late Gil Brand used to say, Newie, if they're not doing it there, they're not gonna come up here and start doing it.
Speaker 2: That's true.
Speaker 4: So when I look at Cooper b b who they talked about putting it center, it's got big arms, aren't the longest, but you know what he can get in there in the phone move mix it up with you. I'm excited about that because I just truly believe they've got to help maintain that middle. And so now I'm thinking he's a bigger, thicker guy than be Honesh. So you have fun trying to figure out how you're gonna get through bb Jack Martin Tyler Smith.
Speaker 2: That's gonna be tough.
Speaker 3: Okay, good luck, good luck right there?
Speaker 2: Me tough.
Speaker 4: So if you're trying to attack you, but we'll have to go out to the cowboy tackles because that interior line is gonna be be stout and then let me have finish this. Then now your run game can be a little bit better. Yeah, so you can get the third and one third and two.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And the one thing that I particularly love about BBI is he has some nasty to him. He has some nasty to him. And they watched the highlights, and you just watched this dude. He is finishing blocks and that's the only thing. Like when I looked at Guidon and a lot of not just him, a ton of offensive linemen. I always have this critique they don't finish blocks and you know, latch on and to the gatorade buckets, you know, or finish and it's I think it's the r p O. It don't even get me stuck anyway. But I just I like his level of nasty and and I think you needed that. You need that with the guys that you have, and man, that's a that's a great depth and also just understanding from the Dallas Cowboys how you know sat not I don't want to use the word satisfied, but where they feel like they are already with the guys up front, with brock Hoffman and those guys. So you know that's having him having that piece, he's going to have to compete. He's got, He's going to have competition definitely coming into slous Exactly.
Speaker 3: I look at.
Speaker 4: Cooper Bebee as second round talent that ended up in the third round. I just really, really am excited about this young man because the Cowboys need somebody else to fight in the phone booths.
Speaker 3: They got to and.
Speaker 4: They've won twelve games three years in a row, and they struggled in the playoffs. They haven't been able to just get out there and establish a run game. Other teams have established it against them.
Speaker 3: But they have.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and so to me, that's what I'm looking for here. Get this middle solidified right here. Okay, start you know, start there, then you go guide him. It's going to be an interesting thing. So for me, and we talked about this before, you need to get some people walk in here and.
Speaker 3: Help you right away. Think about I'm not sure or.
Speaker 4: Guiding just yet, but I'm anticipating if they can stay healthy. BB and Giden are guys that are playing day one. That's what you've needed to get out of this draft for sure and help your offensive line.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because they got this team, they have to be able to punch people in the mouth, you know, instead of you know, taking that first punch and saying, all right, now we've got to retaliate. They got to be able from day one, from jump one, be able to establish this ground game, establish some type of dominance to where they can go out there and punch these guys in the mouth instead of you know, waiting around to get hit. I mean, that's what happens in each of the last maybe three playoff losses.
Speaker 2: Green Bay came in here, punched them in the mouth.
Speaker 3: San Francisco twice back to back, punched them in the mouth.
Speaker 5: They've got to get some nasty to them and hopefully BB and all these other guys can go in there and as a group in that offensive lineman and start serving out some of you know, some beat down to these other teams.
Speaker 2: Then you saw that with against teams in your own division, Philadelphia also they come in and they play nasty. They are all over you picking up.
Speaker 4: As soon as you said it, my mind goes to just okay, who are you facing you and you're trying to win your division. We know Philadelphia is invested in their defensive line. We know the Giants have some good defensive line dan Quinn. We know dan Quinn who's background is defensive line. He's going to be working in that area. And they still have some players there too. So that's the exciting thing. I think about Cooper bb being in there along with Tyler Smith and Zach Martin is that they're going to make it hard. And if you can keep that pocket clean, Dack, that people just can't run up in there like that, that's going to help him. And then said third one whatever, inside the five, you got a chance.
Speaker 2: Now my question if you guys were paying you guys, of course you're playing paying attention to the two hundred and forty fourth pick Justin Rodgers, the defensive tackle out of Arburn six three, two hundred and forty six pounds. Wait wait, yeah, seventh round pick seventh.
Speaker 3: Don't don't even say that name. Don't don't go there, don't go I.
Speaker 2: Can't even now. I can't even see his name on the show.
Speaker 3: Come on out the man.
Speaker 2: But look, you have a guy. Obviously he has his shortcomings as well as as a defensive tackle, but you get a guy. I think that you were asking for you wanted it, probably talent wise in in you know, rounds one through four, but you end up getting some of that answered in the seventh round when you're you know, with your final pick with Justin Rodgers. I mean, I'm not asking him the rush a passer. I'm asking him to be a space heater. I'm asking this guy to take on blocks and coming out of the secc in the way that he performed. I mean, look, it's maybe not the most athletic guy. I don't need him to be the most athletic guy. As a matter of fact, I need him to gain twenty more pounds, be immovable. You know. I need a sement a guy, A bucket full of sement guy. That's what I need.
Speaker 4: Okay, I thought you were gonna say, Jay Rats, I know, well, Auburn seventh round pick.
Speaker 2: You know what I hate that I didn't come up with that.
Speaker 4: What because that is a lightning in the bottle type of thing we met. We hardly ever see somebody become a Pro Bowl defensive player, you know, stalwart in the middle.
Speaker 2: Like, I'm mad at myself. That's what I thought, you see, I wasn't I thought you was talking about Mazzie. Don't say Mozzie's name. I thought you was saying. That's exactly what I thought you were saying. But no, And he put that together seventh round pick as well arazing draft grades.
Speaker 4: We'll do that when we come back right here on the playoffs Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 8: To kick off the twenty twenty three NFL season, Hugo Boss teamed up with the NFL and Micah Parsons to launch an iconic apparel collect featuring hoodies, crews, T shirts, polos, joggers, and more. The bowld unique apparel of the Boss NFL collection unites football and fashion while reflecting what it truly means to be a boss. Get yours today at NFL shop dot com, slash Hugo Boss, at Hugo Boss dot com and at Boss retail stores hashtag be your own Boss.
Speaker 10: Hi.
Speaker 2: I'm Danny mccraig, Dallas Cowboys alumni player here with Smoothie King, and Smoothieking wants to ask you, what's that sound. That's the sound of us magically transforming our Smoothe bows into two new decadent flavors. Dig into a cool I Sae or Pataya bowl handcrafted with crunchy purely Elizabeth Rinola fresh strawberries and finished with the velvety chocolate hazel nut drizzle. Perfect for breakfast, lunch, or anytime you want a munch. And that's the sound of you making them disappear. Smoothie bowls now in two new decadent flavors only at Smoothie King, the official smoothie of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 7: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys Jack Black and right now, Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order. Plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy witball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 10: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 2: And they snapped the press guy who looks right, it's not there.
Speaker 3: He escapes left. He'll run for a first down.
Speaker 10: Just like football when it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust. With Blockchain dot Com, I know I'm in good hands, says twenty eleven. They've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade cryptocurrency.
Speaker 1: Prescott's gonna rub this himself, run it up the middle, and he scores.
Speaker 10: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, They've got you covered.
Speaker 3: What are you waiting for?
Speaker 10: Get started at blockchain dot Com to the players loud.
Speaker 2: Hit to a million Lighthouse at AT and T Stadium for the Dallas Cowboys Tacos and Tunes Festival presented by Miller Light on Saturday May fourth, from three to seven pm. Enjoy a variety of tacos from regions across Mexico and food truck fair while you sip on cold drinks and listen to live music and mission and parking are free. Visit att Stadium dot com slash Tacos and Tunes for more information. See you there.
Speaker 4: Heck Maharrison, appreciate you. Danny mc crazy out today. Barry Church the Toledo Rocket is here on NEWI Scrouss. Congratulations on first round.
Speaker 3: See what you can do out there.
Speaker 4: We'll see twice a year, two twice a year, remember in the Philadelphia Eagles.
Speaker 3: So Mitchell, there you go.
Speaker 4: Congratulations to him. You want to do draft grades, So all right, go ahead.
Speaker 2: Draft grade for the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna give it a solid bee, solid, give it a solid bee, not a B minus, not to be BLUs, but I'm gonna give a solid B. I think they definitely filled the holes on the offensive line that they needed. I think they got either a couple of Day one starters or at the very worst, great depth pieces on that offensive line to go ahead and protect your almost you know, about to be sixty million dollars quarterback soon, so you got to be able to protect him up there. The reason, you know, I didn't go any higher than that because they didn't grab it back. Man, they didn't grab it back. You got Ezekiel Ella. We talked about that in the first segment. But to me, I thought you could have got a great depth piece, you know, fourth fifth round in there that could come in there and and not saying he's going to be you know, Ezekiel laed in twenty sixteen, but you know, he could have made that room a lot better. And you know, he had abundance of running backs in the draft to choose from. You know, I figured they would go late in the later rounds and grab them, but they did not. But they did feel they need against it or in the offensive line and on the defensive line as well. So for me, I'll give him a solid B.
Speaker 2: Look here when I when I I said it before, I said offensive line first, defensive line second, and then running back third. I thought that would be the order in which we went on it once it got to those third rounds and we didn't go that way, and you solid running backs that had already dropped off the board. Everyone after that would have would have been maybe a reach considering you know, scheme, fit, size, all of those things. And so I don't know, particularly the secret hasn't come out and if they went you know, BPA on the board, but I felt like they addressed their needs. Person They addressed their needs. They addressed the depth pieces that they needed, even the you know, the depth at dB we hadn't talked to, you know, they bought in some extra help there as well. I just look, I'm going a minus. And the reason I'm saying a minus is instead of a plus is kind of for the same reason that you didn't go out there and get You didn't get the running back, but I felt like you were solid in every other area. I felt like you were solid. I felt like you got guys that are going to be able that we hope, guys that are right off the bus that could come and help you as yet to be seen. But you know, when you talk, when you listen to Will McClay talk about these about these guys that they drafted, you realize that they obviously do all of the due diligence and research on these guys, and they know that they fit the scheme that they're going to play next season. So look, I'm I always and Will McClay I trust. Let me just say that, all right, I trust. And you know you bring in a guy like d Run Bland and you're like, man, run man. You know this guy, you know, small school, We don't think that he can how can he compete on this level? He just goes out and lead the NFL and interceptions. So look, I think I always put that in the back of my mind when I see these guys that are from maybe a smaller school, the wide receiver from a small school that's coming in. Big kid ran a four to four. But I'm just saying, you know that, Will McClay, Stephen Jones. They did their research on these guys, and so I felt like it was. It was a solid draft, all right. Personally, I hate giving it a grade.
Speaker 4: I do, and I simply say this from the standpoint some of these guys, I really have to dive in more to okay, well and then love to know, give me your.
Speaker 3: Vision for these guys.
Speaker 4: And they talked a little bit about it at the draft table.
Speaker 3: That's what they're going to do.
Speaker 4: It's like, sign everybody, what a great class of kids. I didn't need to see some potential walk in starters and some guys that can not walking in here like you talk about a neel and somebody who can play some special teams and work.
Speaker 3: I think they did a good.
Speaker 4: Job when it came to taking some of these linebackers and defenders. Because of the new special teams. I don't think people talk about that enough. It's going to play a very key part and how you build your football team. And I don't think Cowboy fans really understand how bad and bear the linebacker spot got that year.
Speaker 3: They had so many holes.
Speaker 4: So I give grace about the running back position because I'm thinking to myself, so if I have to go into free agency, where's a place where I can go and say, you know what, may not be perfect, but I can make this work.
Speaker 3: It's Ezekiel Elliott. Yeah, you knew what's the draft happened. It's not just cal.
Speaker 4: A whole bunch of teams were just trying to find some bargains here and there.
Speaker 3: I can live with that.
Speaker 4: I can live with that because the backs that I liked they were gone, and as they were.
Speaker 3: Like, take a Cooper rebe.
Speaker 4: You can't take a running back. You needed this guy, You needed a starting center. You passed on them in round two, passed on in round one. Couldn't You had to. You had to fix it. So I give them grace.
Speaker 3: There.
Speaker 4: You look at a guy like Neil and they're thinking down the road, and you have to start to tank. Lawrence is not going to be here forever. You're going to have to start to think where do we go? Sam Williams. You're hoping Sam Williams steps.
Speaker 3: Into being more this year.
Speaker 4: So I understand the mentality of what they were trying to do. So if I have to give you something, I'd give it a bee. It has to be better than last year.
Speaker 2: Gotta be this.
Speaker 4: This group you're gonna play Jesus because as you dyed for last year's sins of Dus, didn't get stuff done. Okay, so we need you to come in here, be extraordinary, great man.
Speaker 5: They got you gotta get done because last year, I mean Wilma class track record. You know, you gotta trust in him because he you know, he's he's amazing when it comes to this. But last year, I mean who stood out in the last year?
Speaker 2: Brother?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, So.
Speaker 4: We need to get some people that can come here and help you right away because last year's class was not good and you're looking at the I mean right now.
Speaker 3: Okay, you think about last year.
Speaker 4: Mazzie Smith, we don't know, we don't know. Luke Screonmaker, he said I could be your number one tight end because's Jake Ferguson's been people saying you got a block better. So you got to see where his growth spurred. Is your third round pick has never started the game or played in the game before uh in over Street because he got hurt uh junior f Oh, how does he fit your fourth round?
Speaker 3: How does he fit in this scheme? For Mike Zimmers.
Speaker 4: Because that was a dan Quinn pick, like dan Quinn had a vision for him. Does Mike had that same fission? Things like that that we're trying to figure out and find out from last year's class of guys. It's a problem duce Vaughan, what is expected of duce Vaughn? And your number two? He's in that running back room? So so what what do you what do you see?
Speaker 2: What do you do?
Speaker 4: So that that for me, that's stuff that I look at free agent wise, here a lot of Chris Bean gave us a note here, just a lot of the signings like Missouri running back Nathan Pete, Northwestern receiver Camp Johnson's you know Corey Krumes wide received out of Minnesota, Ala collar tight ends Central Florida. So a lot of names here, names you don't necessarily know off the top of the head. Lests you like a fan of the team because it's from you know, South Dakota, you know East Caroline in Nevada.
Speaker 3: So to me, I just look at it this way.
Speaker 4: We know there's going to be one or two guys and make this football team off that undrafted list every year.
Speaker 3: Terrence Steele's just there. Barry Church is another example.
Speaker 4: So the Cowboys are going to give you an opportunity to make the football team, which I think is a pretty cool thing because you know, it's just not just a window dressing with a sign. They're really looking to get people.
Speaker 2: Opportunity and a great point. Man. I think my thoughts of this weekend has been in that wide receiver room also just trying to figure out who's going to be the number two with with CD, who's going to emerge from that room. Jalen Tober changed his number, the number one. Did you see that?
Speaker 3: I did not. That's number one, changed the one, number one.
Speaker 2: Number one? Now okay, number one? Yeah? So all right, yeah, so I mean you still have Brandon Cooks. Jalen Tober is now you're number three. I don't know if that's enough. I don't I don't know if that's enough. CD CDs And even with that, you know there's there's CD contract still on the table. So much man on the horizon still unsettled for the Cowboys after the draft, and none of those other issues have gone away. We still have it. And I just feel like as as days go by, Cee, these contract goes up and up and up as you see, as you see some of these other guys get signed. But you're gonna need a bona fide number two receiver. Brandon Cooks, he didn't solidify that role. To me, I just felt like he was not a one trick pony, but he was. He was a deep threat guy for the Cowboys. You need more than that. And I don't know Jayalen Tobert hasn't proven to me time and time he can be consistent at that. So I want to That's what I want to see, and that's why I'm so excited about the summer and these OTAs and see the way that guys are developing. But there's still some pieces and some things that I want to see the Cowboys address, whether whether it be in free agency or a guy that's currently on the roster tech in the rings.
Speaker 5: They're still the team to be, Cowboys, still the still the team to beat in the division.
Speaker 2: Until further notice. Until further notice, I know we're gonna make bets gonna be made. You already know BET's gonna be made. I'll tell you I'm not vinding.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know, Jones, that's what the Cowboys are.
Speaker 4: We've never seen them have three seasons in a row of twelve wins, I mean four four. They've had three. To have four would be you know, that's that's a challenge. I mean, that's that's when you're talking about the Brady New England type teams. That's what you's about the Montana forty nine ers type teams. And that's that's a challenge. So so we'll see, you know, ten win may win could because if everyone can't improve, they just start knocking slobber knocking into that.
Speaker 3: We'll see, we'll see.
Speaker 4: But the regression to the mean because it's the league is designed this way. The league is designed it. Okay, along the way, we're gonna make your schedule hard. You're gonna have to face tough for teams. They don't want you to stay on top, which is why what you see from Kansas City has been impressive. What you saw out of Bill Belichick's run up there in New England. It also helped these guys play the booty Division.
Speaker 2: Hey it's nots, but you.
Speaker 4: Still have to win it. You still have to win it. And this is this division is not that. This is a very competitive competitive division. So there's changes that have happened all the teams here. So this is why we talk about it, this is why we enjoy it. And we'll see where it goes. The Cowboys have work, We'll see how they keep putting it together.
Speaker 2: Something some teams. There's some interesting things on Draft night, man and and it was it always makes you say, wow, I'm glad that's not us. You know, Atlanta, that was interesting. That was very interesting what Atlanta did Minnesota with JJ and I don't know JJ McCarthy gets a bad rap from a lot of draft analysts, but what they did at ten, I think everyone's like, 's what's that pick? So it's gonna trading up, trading up, Yes, trading up that somebody who's gonna.
Speaker 3: But they needed a quarterback.
Speaker 2: They absolutely they needed Yes, they need a quarterback.
Speaker 3: So they needed a quarterback. To me, that that I understood it.
Speaker 4: Kevin mc Kevin O'Connell, and that's a fit to me, I understood that. I was never a fan of Kirk Cousin signing with Atlanta. He's never a fan of that thirty six coming off and the killing yeah, you know this guy walking up with ninety million. What were we doing here? I never got that. So Pinnix to me wasn't crazy. It's just crazy when you give a guy ninety million where you could have put resources and gone a whole there in other ways, and you'll, by the way, the same organization and put out a press release the year before saying we're not pursuing Lamar Jackson.
Speaker 3: I don't get this. I don't get this collusion. And all the people are like saying, oh, it's crazy. You got kirkuse how.
Speaker 2: Long do you have it? Yeah?
Speaker 4: I am not sold on Kirk Cousins finishing this contract health.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm just And that's the one thing that I thought about when they took Pennix. I was like, man, there's got to be something up with that, because maybe there's something in the contract that they were saying, like look, getting them in here signing whatever, but there's some fine small writing that they'd be in there about that whole Achilles injury. I don't know. I just thought that that was different. And there were a ton of teams that done that did things on draft night that I said that that's interesting, you know, that's interesting, whether they got better. You know. Hey, Jayden Daniels goes to the commanders. That'll be interesting, that will be interested. I mean, I look forward to running into him. Pause.
Speaker 4: The The nfcast is always entertaining, always entertaining. Hey, Barry church Man, good to see well to see it. New struts for Chris Bean, Jazz Josh has. Everybody who's a part of this. We appreciate you watching players lie right here on Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 2: Dot com Your Better d MAC.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club
Speaker 4: M