Speaker 1: My League Books has all the knowledge you want.
Speaker 2: My League Buds has all the knowledge you need.
Speaker 1: Legs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they have all the books that.
Speaker 1: The whole wild world. One up read My League Books.
Speaker 3: Welcome, Welcome, Welcome to Leak's bookshef bringing a world together with books, culture and community. Hi, my name is Malik, your host of Malik's Bookshelf. Well, we had a wonderful week. I lined it up last week on my last episode, so if you haven't listened to it, go back and listen to that. But our prime that style that it was called Message to My Daughter. But before we got to my thoughts and my conversation about my daughter, I talked about my big events that were taking place all last week. And one of the biggest and explosive events of last week was our event on Saturday where we hosted Grace Buyers and gave away seven hundred.
Speaker 4: Books to the community.
Speaker 3: The event was hosted by Malik Books and be sat as Black Scholars Achievement Program and Grace Buyers graced us.
Speaker 4: With her appearance and I got a chance to talk to her for my podcast. So I want to feature that interview on this one hundred and two. Yes, right, one oh two.
Speaker 3: One hundred and second episode. I want to feature that conversation I had with Grace Barers. I always get a chance if I'm able to talk with them just for a few minutes, so I could bring that conversation. You know, Grace Barers has two New York Times bestsellers, I Am Enough.
Speaker 4: And I Believe I Can.
Speaker 3: Both of those are some of the most powerful books that's been out on the market in the last four or five years, and it continues to sell because it's a message that allows represent that has represented, that allowed that has representation, and it teaches self esteem and believing in yourself as well as knowing that you are enough for you no matter what cards you're dealt in this world. So he's two powerful books that Grace Buys wrote that has impacted the book industry, and so many other books have exploded afterwards to empower people to love themselves, to know themselves, to believe in themselves, to beat themselves.
Speaker 4: And she's definite it's more than just.
Speaker 3: An actor and author, but she's an activist and those book two books have definitely made an impact throughout country and around the world. And so I'm honored to have the conversation where she came out and met all these kids out at Cleveland High School and we did a book signing and the books were free sponsored by b shide L a U s d L a U s D S School District, and she was able to meet and greet so many of our community, the kids in our community, youth in our community, teens in our community, and.
Speaker 4: We was able to give away those books.
Speaker 3: The other thing that I don't want to feature on this conflict was just explosive book signing. Will was the moderator and we hosted that League Books and it was in conversation with Ladarian Willis and his groundbreaking book Blood at the Room. Now, this is a fantasy book, a magical book that where.
Speaker 4: The main character is a black boy, and there's not a lot.
Speaker 3: Of books like that in the Indian hasn't been, and I've been in his intes for a long time. We're talking about a fantasy book where the main character is a black boy who's coming of age and who's trying to find himself and learn about his roots and the abilities that he have, his magical powers that he has, and all he's got to unravel all the mysteries and so, and he has to go to an HBCU school to learn how to and that's a black HBC Historical Black College University. As he goes, he's enrolls in one of those in Cameran University, which is an HBCU school. And so when doing the book signing, we magically transform elad Books into the official bookstore came to you, and we made people feel as though they were part of the magical experience.
Speaker 4: Where the main character in the book his name.
Speaker 3: Elite, and I'm going to be in conversation with him about this magical book, and we're going to talk about many things about the book and what he had to do to overcome the obstacles to get to a three book deal. And this is the first of the series Blood at the Root. Now this was my third moderation. I haven't had much experience doing it, but this was my third one and I hope to do many more.
Speaker 4: And so I brought the energy. I brought the electricity.
Speaker 3: Malik, the hype man of books was in full effect. So enjoy this episode where I feature my conversation with great Buyers and I feature my moderation with Ladarian Williams, the author of Blood at the Root In the last enough, I believe I can't sell lead books.
Speaker 1: What inspire you to write these wonderful books? Because these books right your mind?
Speaker 5: Thank you so much.
Speaker 6: You know, I really really wanted to write a book.
Speaker 7: That inspire children to love themselves just as they are, just as they were they were born. I do not believe that God makes mistakes, and so I wanted them su to de break all present that they were and to know that they have masage an impact books so much.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 8: You know, I'm glad I reached out. I would always tag.
Speaker 1: You anything I'm doing.
Speaker 2: These books stood out to me because that's why I mentioned children. That's my son on there too, and one percent without in the future.
Speaker 8: We don't have a.
Speaker 2: Future book, so we have to invest in you and teach them to love yourselves. And that's why your books laying.
Speaker 1: Such a huge impact.
Speaker 2: Are the teachers for men?
Speaker 1: Or what's the boot self?
Speaker 2: Then to themself to coming up? Thank you, you've yourself yourself.
Speaker 1: Listen, got it you?
Speaker 8: I gave them all the credit, So thank you acordingly real just say my.
Speaker 2: Podcast I'm on.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I never sold myself as a podcast, but this is the want to be on one hundred and second episode.
Speaker 1: I love that.
Speaker 9: Well.
Speaker 6: I just want to say thank you to people who are supporting the lead books. I remember seeing your pop up in the La Mall Century Since and I walked by it and I was like, oh my gosh, what I divers set up?
Speaker 4: And I walked in and I was.
Speaker 2: Like, y'all have my books.
Speaker 8: Y'all.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we can't keep out enough of s.
Speaker 2: But I believe, okay.
Speaker 6: And I looked around and I was just so just moved by all the different types of books that you had.
Speaker 5: I knew, I knew that they were specifically curated for you guys.
Speaker 7: Buy you guys, and so just keep supporting elite books.
Speaker 2: This is such a wonderful endeavor.
Speaker 8: That you're doing with your books.
Speaker 1: I mean, we need it. We need it, so thank you everything you heard it race ain't.
Speaker 2: It is so I meanesus also a free We thank these h thank you these types of partnerships.
Speaker 4: I mean fifteen I wish I haven't.
Speaker 5: Wow, that's a bus and you intentional effort.
Speaker 2: They have big postals made made.
Speaker 10: I wish I could have come, but yeah, yeah, and I told you to I said, it's a lot of time to reach out to great fives to what can do.
Speaker 2: If I'm available, I mean to strike old. So y'all get busy and.
Speaker 8: That's it. Opportunity.
Speaker 1: We finish a schedule.
Speaker 10: This is early camp and we work closely with her at b side and and you know, we us together is what how is?
Speaker 2: How became? You know, and us working as a team work makes the dream work. They understand that beside the children a woman, they want to make sure the service all you know, underserved. That's why everything is here freaking and so they walk.
Speaker 10: That way beyond and above to enrich our community with books because we competing in a world of entertainment, video games.
Speaker 2: We're competing. You know, you gotta read to achieve and readers, our leaders and leaders are readers. And you bought me, took a step and your book word them out.
Speaker 1: Tell us, Kim, tell us.
Speaker 8: What you told me about I believe it.
Speaker 2: Supervisor or someone's she is a goal for their children.
Speaker 11: Oh it's our superintendent Regin North superre Intendant doctor David Baka, who has a bi racial child and he brought this book for his daughter and.
Speaker 2: She loves it.
Speaker 11: So he was exceptionally excited when he found out that Grace.
Speaker 5: Fires was coming, and not only about the message about I am enough, but also I believe I can. Yeah, we actually instilled not only just with our African American students, but are also our African.
Speaker 1: American girls when it comes to girls in steam the science that's rilgy.
Speaker 5: Engineering and math.
Speaker 2: Yeah, where with our marginal authors.
Speaker 11: So we need to instill it at an early age. Thank you, Malie, Thank you Grace for what you do and just believing in our.
Speaker 1: Girls and believing in that week. Thank you. Thank you guys so much for now.
Speaker 8: Maybe it's been a real pleasure today.
Speaker 1: I loved it.
Speaker 5: Y'all filled me up.
Speaker 2: You guys really killed me up.
Speaker 1: So thank you, thank you, Thank you appreciate your time.
Speaker 12: Yeah, hey, trust me, it's like pulling tea sometimes it gets you know, to come and come up to the community.
Speaker 2: You wrote a book for children, and you should be open arms to come to a setting like this. Absolutely.
Speaker 1: Sometimes it's like.
Speaker 2: You wrote the kids.
Speaker 1: Boy, i'mna be honest.
Speaker 2: Hey, sometimes you got to do go through some nose to get to it.
Speaker 3: Yes, and we got.
Speaker 8: It's just like.
Speaker 1: Thank you. He knocked doors. No, he's not getting open some doors and he's in a night conversation. Blood the room. So that's where to carry Awayiam.
Speaker 9: Out, put around the poor and get on some love because he had to the sire.
Speaker 8: The train fell back in the shake up Polly Rood.
Speaker 1: It changed the date and lacked the street and the battle no black point not out. Who welcome, my brother? That's what's up. You know they call me the hype Man of books.
Speaker 10: You look and and I didn't wrong with that at first, but after you don't have what somebody's change.
Speaker 2: The first person to tell you something, maybe the second person say the same thing.
Speaker 10: Maybe think about it. But three people don't know each other tell you the same thing, then it might be some truth.
Speaker 9: So this is Malique, the hype mat of books, and we're gonna hype this conversation up.
Speaker 1: We're gonna talk about blood at the room.
Speaker 10: And my first question too, my beloved brother, is brother, what gave you the strength and the motivation to rank this timely book?
Speaker 8: Yeah? You know what game and the strength was. You always hear about the inner child, but you never hear about like the inner teenager. And when I grew up, when I was in high school. It was the big boom of white Hey, it was you know, Hunger Games, it was Twilight, and it was Divergent. But I never got to see a black kid in those stories unless we were there to propel the white man character story forward or we were killed. And through all of this, I just thought, I thought about the seventeen year old of the Ladarium. I thought about my nephew, who is a thirteen year old black boy right now who needs to see that he can be the hero of his own sword, and that he can conjure storms, he can teleport, he can, you know, make the impossible possible. And so that's what drove me for four years, cause it's been a lot of those but it it's been a lot of downs, and it's here, Like I can't. I still can't believe that it's here. So that's what kept me through it Cause I saw it. I saw my book cover. I told my friends in the group chat. I was like, y'all, I just woke up from a nap and I just haven't I just had a dream about my book cover. Yes, and so I knew if I saw it, I knew it's it's possible and it's there. I just have to get through the storm or self job again. So that's when that's what I felt.
Speaker 10: And the reality is, then, w what got you through all of these trials and tripolations then?
Speaker 1: Was going through your mind to get to this point.
Speaker 10: Because you went through some things. You lived, You came from Alabama, if you went to.
Speaker 8: College, dropped out, Yeah, p w A Israel.
Speaker 1: You end up working in Taco Bell.
Speaker 8: Bell.
Speaker 1: Then you took your last check from Taco.
Speaker 10: Bell, came to La too, what to write, produce the script and all of these things.
Speaker 8: Talk about that, Yeah, that's that's about to be nine years in two days that I, you know, packed up from Taco Bell. You know, I bought my you know, my plane ticket in the driving through, and I said, I can't do this anymore because if I stay here, I'm not gonna make it. I just didn't. I got to the point where I didn't want to exist anymore because I wasn't creating. I wasn't being in that space. So I bought a one way ticket to l A nine years ago in two days. And I'm like, and now my book is coming out to me?
Speaker 11: Is that yeah, Like I.
Speaker 8: Can't even lie, Like there were some days I couldn't even get out of bed when nobody wanted blood it through because I'm gonna be real, Like when we did the short film, I submitted to Sundance, I submitted to every single short film festival, and they all kept saying no, no, no, And I was just like, what the heck? You know, it's viral on social media, it's getting on distraction. Why are you not accepting it? And it got them so bad that I couldn't even get out of bed anymore because I was like, my friends, they risk their health to come out here and to do this short film. I spent a lot of money on the short film, the money that I didn't have, and I just didn't know. You know now, I wish I could go back and say, Ladarian, that's just you just playing seeds. It's okay. It takes time. You know, you're gonna go through the storm and it's okay. But eventually it's gonna grow. And like again, obviously it's group because I just had to pivot because Hollywood kept telling me no. They were like, we can't, we don't really connect to the voids, so we can't market this or we can't blah, blah blah, and so I was just like, Malik would not leave me alone. He would keep me up at night. He was like, my story deserves to be told, then you have to tell it. And so I was like, well, what do I do? Okay and boom. I remember my love for books. I remember reading Twilight. I remember reading Hunger Games and feeling like, yo, I kind of want super speed. I kind of want to be a sparkling vampire. I don't know why I wanted. I was trying, I don't judge you, and so yeah, but I remember again, I remember that. So I was just like, Okay, keep going with there. It's gonna happen one way or another. Because when an idea bothers you like that, it's it's supposed to be told, like if there's a I don't know if the ancestors guy whoever is supposed to be told. So I just kept going and I'm sad I'm listening to Malik.
Speaker 1: The character in the book is Malik man'lit. So so I love reading the book. I felt like I was reading a.
Speaker 10: Little bit about myself because Maliite, you know, he had a lot of challenges in his life and he overcame it, just like you overcame some of your challenges.
Speaker 1: So talk about you know, what is it about this.
Speaker 10: Character, Maliite that you kept you up, kept you few, and kept you wanting to fulfill this desire to bring this out.
Speaker 8: Yeah. I think he just wanted to be connected to something. I think when, especially with black people in this country, our history has been ripped away from us, and then when we try to celebrate it or practice it, it's demonized in you know, in Hollywood and media and all that. So I think he really wanted to just be connected. And it's so powerful to see this black boy, you know, meet his grandmother on the same soil that his ancestors fought in death led on and she's teaching him the ways of his ancestors and magic, and she's instilling in him, you know, that he is good and that he is beautiful, because a lot of times black boys are not told that, they're not told that you're good, that you that you belong here. And so to have his grandmother and we all know, like a lot of a lot of us from the South were raised by our grandmothers, and we all sat at the feet of her, and we all learned the wisdom of God, and we all we learned the ways of our ancestors through church, through song, through the Answer, through anything. And so to have that and to give that to this young boy that we don't get to see a lot of NYA fantasy, it's something special. And that's what I kept telling Hollywood and publishers. I'm like, it's not about the focal point of his story. Wasn't about him dealing with, you know, police brutality and racism, even though those stories are important, I didn't want that because I was tired of seeing young black boys being killed in books and on TV all the time. And it was just like, why can't they have the you know, the the some affairs, Why can't they have the epic romances, the magic that I kept asking those questions and nobody could give me an answer.
Speaker 1: What, Well, this says a lot about your character and being in you person.
Speaker 8: Then now your desab was to create a script.
Speaker 1: Now you took classes and writing. Okay, Well, I went on U c.
Speaker 8: L A's website and saw that they had books, and then I went to Amazon and got it for cheap.
Speaker 1: Self talk.
Speaker 8: I am a college drop, but that's okay.
Speaker 1: Because you know there are many rags for witches that will drop out.
Speaker 10: But that's the thing about books, is that anything that you want to beat you can find in a book exactly.
Speaker 1: And that's what you did your self, taught you talked to some how to write the script.
Speaker 8: Yeah, thanks the true Blood. I found the script got holes and shout out to Alan Barb. Yeah, I took the Yeah. I was back holder and I was writing scripts in the middle of drive through. I will pack people's tacos and put my out and hide and various sauce on it and gay thank you, and then I'll go back to writing my scripts in the middle of the drive They're like, what are you doing. I'm like, I'm writing a script and people are like you right, I'm like yeah, and he's like, that's what you want to do. I'm like, yea, I'm going up. Got let In a couple of days, I get on my line literally in the middle of the job that my cowork is likely Dan's writing again.
Speaker 11: He's right.
Speaker 8: But I just couldn't stop writing, Like something in me really just I just had so many stories to tell. It was burning inside.
Speaker 10: And I mean, I'm sure Minia can relate to that, and I think that's important to hear someone that has went through that type of obstacles and desire to bring forth his baby. But at the root, now you thought it was gonna be from a writing script and producing maybe a movie or TV series, and the book came out as half the thought.
Speaker 8: Yeah again, we did the short film and Nobody Nobody in Hollywood and it was the pandemic. So I was a little dramatic too. But when things started, when things started opened up, I was seeing everybody getting stamped on TV shows and people are selling shots, and I was like in Netflix with their Coming of Age thems, I was like, where are the black kids? Like Black kids deserve coming to HM too. But when I pivoted, I was gonna self publish it. I was going to self publish the book. I was going to work eighteen twenty hours a day doing live to pay for because when you self published, you gotta pay for the editors, the artists, for them to put it in a book form. We gotta pay for everything. And when I was working with my editor, shout out to Marco Weston, She's a black woman from back and Rouge Louisiana she said, look here, you can't self publish this. You got to traditionally publish this because we need a story like this. And I was like, nah, I'm good publishing. And I was really mad because it was a lot going on in America. It was a civil unrest, it was protest, and I was just like, we're publishing does not want a story about a black boy unless he's dealing with racism. And she was like, no, you got to. You gotta gotta get it right, get it right. And so she helped me edit it. She got me she helped me write a query letter, so queery letters, you know, like a cover letter to it agent. And I started sending him out and I was getting a little petty because I was getting rejections. And I was like, see, I told you, I told you publish. She does not want this because I kept being told we love the story, but we can't connect to the boys. We don't know how to market this, we don't know, we don't know what he's a black boy, he doesn't deal with racism, what like, we don't want this. And she was like, keep going, keep going, and you know, in July August twenty twenty one, yeah, twenty twenty one. I saw him with my agent, Peter Now and he took a chance on it, and he was like, yeah, we're going to sell this. We want to sell this. So so yeah, that's how we've pivoted to.
Speaker 10: The lesson is sometimes we don't see an opportunity when it's right in front of Sometimes we're going down a different road, but only to lead back on the.
Speaker 1: Road where you needed to begin. Because now you got.
Speaker 9: A book and it's published, and you got a three book deal. Listen, we got something in common. We both broke over.
Speaker 8: To Okay, it barely did that. Sorry, So yeah, I was. I was in Chicago. I got it. So it looked during like the Christmas break. And when in Christmas break, publishing in Hollywood shuts down for like it feels like for three years because when we went on when we went on break, we were all my last batch of editors, and I was like, okay again because everybody, every publisher kept saying no, and I was like, Okay, the gang, it's time to break up with this book. It's time to let it go, like because I can't keep getting my heart broken over the story. And when I was in Chicago, I was working on a play. Shout out to Milly for getting my play into Chicago. I got a call from my agent. He said, hey, we got an offer, but they kind of loan balled you, and I know you want a three book deals and they only offered you too, and I was like, I need a three book deal. And so once, you know, once other editors find out like oh wait, he got he has an offer, then that's when they want to jump in and auctioning. So I got back from Chicago. I was doing lift. I was angry. I was just depressed. I was like, oh my god, I'm tired of driving drop people around in lag I was in the middle of downtown. I don't know where I was, but I was in the middle of downtown and my agent called me and he never calls so he owned emails. And I was like, let me swerve over. You know, I dodged a few and come and travel goes. Sorry. I swerved over to the right and I get into the phone and he was like hanging the game, and I was like, what's up, Like what's going on? He was like, I'm happy to tell you that you sold Blooded through a three book deal to Pingland, random House, give it up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And.
Speaker 8: I was like, he was like, yeah, you know, he's so like, yeah, you know, we're gonna get the details, we're gonna get the contract. We don't get everything. I was like, oh okay, and he got off the call and I turned off my lift app and I drove all the way from downtown to North Collegood in LA traffic and just said, I sold the freaking booking. And I started prying in the Rocks parking line.
Speaker 1: Happy tears, yeah, happy, happy ti.
Speaker 8: Yeah. That was January nineteen, twenty twenty three. I sold the book.
Speaker 10: And then you should never forget that changed your life, changed my life, man, this last week, man, you was growing up.
Speaker 1: I mean with LA times. People say out to interview, was said day man.
Speaker 8: Yeah out of that field, shout out to my PR Michael. That's ain't no r right now. He is. He changed my life. He's changing my life and he's hungry as I am. And what I loved about talking with him, I said, hey, I have big dreamers and I know this might sound crazy, but I want my book. And I was like, I want my booking deadline. I want my book on the John Botrana in New York. I wanted. I went everywhere, and he was like, that's why, let's let's do it. Because I'm a I'm all about don't tell me like you know, it's not it's not possible for a debut author. Just ask. That's all I'm asking you to do is ask. All they could do is say no. And he's been don't get fast exactly. He started asking. People were like, oh wow, like this is an interesting story. And once one thing picked up, it's literally like a spark. That's what he said today to me. He's like, it's one spark and now we build people. And then La Times called him and say, hey, we want to interview him, we want to feature his book. And I was just like I was in the La La is one in Atlanta. I was like, I'm in the La Times. My book is right here. And just three years ago I was in the bed, depressed and seeing nobody wants the story. And now La Times picked up the people and we got some other big things I can't announce.
Speaker 1: But yeah, never doubt yourself. You know, I don't care. You know what trials, trivilation you go through if you want to succeed.
Speaker 10: You got to go through those storms and you know, you might got to go through a thousand notes to get to that one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and then I know you learned.
Speaker 8: From that I did. Yeah again, pivot always, you know, don't be afraid to pivot, don't be afraid to detour. And the detour might take a little bit while longer. That's okay. That's why they sing that song just a little while longer, like it's okay, it's gonna come because you never know, because there are always people. Your name is gonna be spoken in rooms that you never entered, and so you never know. Because people were watching, they were like, oh, we saw your book, we saw your book, we saw that tweet, we saw your TikTok. And I was like, well, I don't get the engagement, but okay, but they were like, no, we saw it and we and that's why we that's why we're featuring you. So it's just you know, you never know, just playing those 's. Don't be afraid, you know, if you want to write a book, dancing, whatever you want to do, don't be afraid. And people telling me, no, that's all right, produce it yourself. Do out there and do it yourself, because once you start doing it yourself, that's when they gonna want to come and say, hey, I see you're doing it. Let me let me jump on it.
Speaker 10: So, you know, well, let's talk a little little book.
Speaker 1: This new book just came out to date a Root. Yeah, what what does title mean? And how did you come up with you?
Speaker 8: Yeah? I don't I think I named it like heritage or something like something. I thought it was powerful at the time. But I was listening to Billie Holliday's song and it was in the middle of like the Black Lives Matter. I was like, Okay, she says blood on the lead, blood on blood at the route, and I was like, what does that really mean? Because we always hear but nobody could ever ask. And I was like, okay, it's about we all know what it means actually, because it's about the lynchings, right that happened in American Town. But I was like, no, I want to replain that and flip it on his head. And also there's a line in the short film and in the script that Mamayah says to Malik, you know, you know you there, you know there's a root in you and you could you if you plant bitter seeds, then the root's gonna grow and then there's and the magic of resilience is in your blood. And when she said that, I was like, blood, okay, root, blood, and then I remember that's all blood at the root, and so I just I decided to flip it on his head and reclaim it as a powerful saying it is.
Speaker 10: It is powerful because I think I heard you say blood represents you know, Elik in his life, and the roots represent legacy ancestors because you know, we didn't get here overnights.
Speaker 8: You know, we have ancestors.
Speaker 1: So and I love that because that's one of the things here at Malique Books. We say Malique Books and then on the bottom and says we got these roots.
Speaker 8: And it's called our roots are strong.
Speaker 1: So you know I connected Malik is the character and then he got the root.
Speaker 10: I said, man, this is destiny for us to have this conversation, you know, because our roots are.
Speaker 1: Strong, our legacy is strong.
Speaker 10: And I think that that's one of the strong points of your book, his Malik's legacy, his ancestry.
Speaker 8: Yeah, his ancestry again, because they're really cracking down on being in black history and classrooms and just in America in general. So we need our historians, we need our griels, we need the storytellers to keep on telling our stories because they're they're trying to erase them. And so that's what I because I remember I put something in the book in our spoiler, but the Haitian Revolution because I never learned about it until like my twenties, and I was like, wait, what, I grew up in Alabama school system and that's all right, we have to studied more harder. So I wanted to. I wanted to this Black Wood to experience Black history up and personal. He goes through time, he learns where he comes from, and he has that gift. But he you know, either he's going to go down the wrong path or the good path. But by my eyea, his grandmother can't control that. Yeah, so that's that's what I want to, you know, implement him stories ancestry. You know, our ancestors are always with us, but at the end of the day, we still do what we want to do.
Speaker 10: So yes, yes, yes, what was your non negotiable when you got this book?
Speaker 8: There? I was really I was really old with my editor Lisa Aroun before she even sent over the contract and she was like, well, you know, is there anything else that I said, Yeah, we gotta have a black boy in the cover and he has to be alone. There's no there's nobody else. And she she was like okay. And I was like, that's like a non negotiable because imagery is so powerful, because I remember when I walked in Offense but Parts and no Boy in Burbany, and I remember when I walked in and I asked the clerk, I said, hey, where's the Why are you fantasy books with black boys? And she she looked and I looked and she looked at me and she was like, oh my god, I really don't have any. And I was like, that's when I got to write it. And I just think about that moment all the time. And so I told my editor he has to be a black boy in a hoodie because I did it on purpose. And so it was so interesting because this cover is not the original cover. So shout out to Oliver Smith parent who plays the League in the short film. I called him one day. I said, bro, like my my poet are saying, you know, they don't, they don't. They're trying to take over kind of like the cover. I was like, I need a day of yours on a Saturday, and we need to go shoot photos of you just doing magic. We lived like one hundred candles. I had to light og and they're blow them out and we're practical, feeling go and we shot for like I think it's like four like four to six hours. Wow. And there was one photo actually was back here that inspired the book cover, and the designer she was like, oh my gosh, I love that. Can I use that photo? And she used it and that's how the book cover came to be. And that's why we see a black boy on the front cover because I knew and I knew that they were going to try to you know, it's publishers. They try to white watch stuff, and so I was like, that's what I need, and so she they decided to put a black boy, and they took a big risk on that because a lot there's not a lot of white A books with black boys on the front cover.
Speaker 1: I would know bookstore, And you're correct, and that was old of you, and I applaud you.
Speaker 10: You made us stand because we do need to see more pictures with strong black boys.
Speaker 8: Now.
Speaker 10: I started out as a black boy. In fact, you know, I collaborated with thirty.
Speaker 1: Other black men in a book called Heart of a Black Man, Stories of Triumph.
Speaker 10: And Resilience, and my chapter was called from Devastation to Elevation, and I talked about myself as a young black boy and not being different than any.
Speaker 1: Other black boy, but just going through.
Speaker 10: Society not knowing who and what I am and my purpose and the things that I got caught.
Speaker 8: Up in along the way.
Speaker 1: But I was able to still find a certain gift in myself. My magical power was I found deep.
Speaker 8: In me that I was fast. I was real fast. And it took me.
Speaker 1: All all the way to USC on the track scholarship, and all the way.
Speaker 10: To that nineteen eighty four Olympics. You know, I had to keep the time, but I discovered that gift. We all got gifts, they buried deep. You gotta find it.
Speaker 1: Those are magical powers. This is within you. But the only bringing out without visiting came in you and listening to the.
Speaker 10: Instructors who they had to teach you that you are somebody, You are special, you are magical, you have power, and that's how we all develop and get to what we get. And so as a young a black boy, I had a lot of obstacle. But like I said, my chapter was called from Devastation to Elevation, and.
Speaker 1: It's no different than your story. You know, you went through a lot, but you found your way and gave burn to blood at the root and were too.
Speaker 8: Right. All right?
Speaker 10: So what's the final thoughts you would like to tell the audience before we bring this tool clothes you can get to book sign it.
Speaker 8: Yes, And I tell this to executives all the time. Sorry Insteace, I do I get fired up in the eighties when you see black, when you see us black people creatives sharing our work on Instagram and Twitter and social media, please share it, please retweet it, because they are rebooting a lot of stuff and they're not including black stories. So please pull up for us. We hear a lot of times as black creatives. We want black fantasy, we want black sci fight, we want black this. But you gotta pull up. We gotta pull up for them. And sharing is free ninety nine and retweeting is free ninety nine. So and if you have money to support, please do that because we are out here writing them. We are out here trying to sell them, and we're pitching them, but we need people to pull up because publishing in Hollywood, they look at It's like the reason why, really, I got to publish he Deals because my agents sent them my TikTok that with god over a million views. I ain't talking about the blood. So please pull up when black creators are posting their work and yeah, because we're out here writing the stories that y'all want to see. Wow, give it up.
Speaker 3: Thanks for listening to Malak's bookshelf, where topics on the shelf are books, culture, and community.
Speaker 4: Be sure to subscribe and leave me a review.
Speaker 2: Check out my instagram at Malak Books.
Speaker 4: See you next time.