Speaker 1: Native Land Pod is a production of iHeartRadio in partnership with Resent Choice Media.
Speaker 2: America.
Speaker 3: America is a racis country.
Speaker 4: What's up, everybody?
Speaker 1: Welcome to the second episode of Native Land Pod, where we break down all that's happening in politics, with a little bit of culture in there too. Welcome home, y'all, go home.
Speaker 5: Welcome home, Sis.
Speaker 3: What's up?
Speaker 5: Ladies?
Speaker 4: We are your host.
Speaker 1: I'm Tiffany Cross here with angela Ryan Andrew gillim and as you know on Native Land Pod, we give it to you straight, no chaser.
Speaker 4: What's going on y'all?
Speaker 5: Everybody?
Speaker 3: Every day?
Speaker 1: Oh, I know one thing is going on all the way up and that's Native Land Pod.
Speaker 4: We were one downloaded.
Speaker 1: Podcast on Apple Podcasts.
Speaker 3: How about that. It's not just news, it's not just politics. See, thank you over all overall, just had to brag on it.
Speaker 1: I want to thank y'all seriously truly for making us the number one downloaded podcast. And I think why that's so important. Honestly, it shows that there is a gap between what is happening in in the atmosphere. This was content that people needed. We're here to inform, We're here to invite you all to be a part of the conversation, and so as people are left out, I think a lot of people literally felt welcomed home.
Speaker 5: So thank you all, Tiffany just on that, I just just my goodness. Thank you to those of you all who has stuck with us, hung with us through the ins and outs, ups and down, tops and turvys. If this show with the three of us doesn't represent anything, let it represent the fact that your future will be greater than your ladder period.
Speaker 1: I knew brother Gil was gonna give us a word that's not that's not gonna be the first of the.
Speaker 5: Last that though. That's real, that's real. There's always we doubt that in the moment. You doubt that when you're going through and when times it's so hard and you can't even yeah, you can't even manifest the belief that life will get better.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And the truth is is just hang in there.
Speaker 3: We have a dream that one day we'll stay at the number one spot. We're still there right now. And all we need you all to do and make sure that you are downloading the podcast download this week and make sure you give us a review. We are loving reading these reviews, not so much to these doug on Twitter comments. But we are loving the reviews, so.
Speaker 1: Don't forget tell a friend, download it, leave a review, comment, and ride with us, because we riding with y'all. So on this episode, I want to give you guys a little preview what we're going.
Speaker 4: To talk about.
Speaker 1: We have to discuss Donald Trump dominating corn rows and white mountains, and by that.
Speaker 4: I mean Iowa, New Hampshire.
Speaker 1: We don't want to talk about Donald Trump, but he is the front runner of the Republican Party, so we do want to talk about what happen in Iowa and really just a GOP field as a whole. We're also going to get into some conversation around outreach.
Speaker 4: The black voters. What is our ask and what should be our ask?
Speaker 3: How about that?
Speaker 1: But stay with us and until the end of the show, because as you all know, each episode, uh, myself and my co host were we got a testimony and we are each going to share what happened with us since.
Speaker 4: Y'all last heard from us.
Speaker 1: And so at the end of this episode, I am going to answer a question I've been asked a lot over the last year, and that is what exactly happened with me at MSNBC, So stick around because I got a testimony for y'all today. All right, Angela Andrew, what y'all want to do? Where should we kick it off? I kind of want to get into Iowa just to get it out the way, to be honest, get it out the way, get it out the way.
Speaker 4: Well, I'll kick us off.
Speaker 1: I just want to play this SoundBite from this full ass clown. See I already let a curse hoorse slip through. But this man is so ridiculous. The people who call themselves pro life, okay, uh.
Speaker 4: This is their leader? Is this your king? Take a listen to this and we'll talk about it on the other side.
Speaker 6: So if you want to save America from Brook and Joe Biden, you must go call this tomorrow for the first step, the first step.
Speaker 5: We're gonna do it.
Speaker 7: We gotta do it big.
Speaker 5: You gotta get life.
Speaker 6: You can't sit home if you're sick as a dog. Even if you vote and then pass away, it's worth it. If you're sick, if you're just a shinky cat, don't it. I don't think get up.
Speaker 1: Get up.
Speaker 4: Please miss me.
Speaker 1: The next time you see a bunch of maga half witted folks holding up pro life signs.
Speaker 5: You do realize these people are laughing at this man talking about the meaning that you have to die. He is dead serious, is he ain't joking?
Speaker 3: He's like, sacrifice your life for me. This is the man who was behind an insurrection that like little lukewarm admonishing he gave to his followers on January sixth, twenty twenty one. This is the same man today and forevermore. He absolutely wants them to risk it off for him, off a dream. He's selling a dream that is all of the rest of our nightmare. And he really wants these folks to get out here and do this on behalf of their racism. We know exactly what it is. We're not confused.
Speaker 4: He's a fraud.
Speaker 1: I mean, even like with the wall, like Mexico's gonna pay for the wall, like his donors have been paying for this false effort that's not happening. His donors have been paying his legal fees. I mean, he is the biggest welfare recipient of these folks, and they keep.
Speaker 4: Falling for it.
Speaker 1: But honestly, I kind of feel like this whole GOP field, they're all garbage, you know, I wasn't surprised at what happened in Iowa, but we kind of talked about this last week. I do feel like when these reporters are on the ground in Iowa talking to these voters, not once did I hear anybody ask how do you account for the racist comments that you've heard from all of these candidates? At any given point, all of these candidates have said something acid nine and racist, and nobody ever has to account for that, least of all Nimrada, who you might know as Nikki Hayley uh Love.
Speaker 4: Check this out. Listen to what she said.
Speaker 5: Are you a racist party? Are you involved in a racist party?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 8: We're not a racist country, Brian. We've never been a racist country. Our goal is to make sure that today is better than yesterday. Are we perfect? No, But our goal is to always make sure we try and be more perfect if every day that we can. I know I faced racism when I was growing up, but I can tell you today is a lot better than it was then. Our goal is to lift up everybody, not go and divide people on race or gender, or party or anything else. We've had enough of that in America. That's why I'm so passionate about doing this. I don't want my kids growing up where they're sitting there thinking that their disadvantage because of a color or a gen. I want them to know that if they work hard, they can do and be anything they.
Speaker 4: Want to be in America, lord hip.
Speaker 9: Like what.
Speaker 3: First of all, here's my house.
Speaker 5: I just marvel at the privilege, the privilege, the privilege it must be to exempt yourself out of what is so many of ours every single day reality, multiple times a day, so much so it's baked into the case we don't even count anymore.
Speaker 3: But Andrew, did she exempt herself? I don't think she did. First of all, let's there's three issues here. The first issue is she's the question was are you a racist party? She talks about not a racist country. She couldn't even answer that part for a reason.
Speaker 5: The second was yah.
Speaker 3: The second thing is we're not a racist country from when Nikki from it's founding from the sixties and the Montgomery bus boycotts and the voting rights protest or is it that racism ended right after you experienced racism? Because you're saying what you don't want your kids to experience, But what you're certainly not saying is that they have not experienced it. So what I think that Nikki or Nimrata, as Tif said, is masterful at talking out of both sides of her mouth, just like Alita. Her leader is Donald Trump.
Speaker 5: If you're confused, Hey, Angela, we don't want to be talking to our kids about them being disadvantaged in any way, shape or form. I don't want to have to talk to my boys about what it means to have to demure themselves in dark spaces or as they encounter people who are not of color in authority, or how they may encounter our neighbors down the street after dawn or dust. And so Nikki or miss Haley former governor, we agree with you. We don't want to have to talk to our kids about that either. But what what what I don't understand Tiff and Angela, is what is the point of all of this right now? The the the persuading by the candidates from the leader of the party Trump, you know, all the way down to the bottom of the pits DeSantis. They're all trumpeting this racist brand of politics, and it's there's there's there's no it's not veiled, there's no thin layer between. This is the most obvious set of stuff I've ever seen. And I almost said a word, but we've been admonished not to use bad words about our parents, and I'm serious. But that's a sidebar. We'll talk about that later on this topic. Though, the very founder of our country, the great and original sin. Every major conflict domestically that has popped up, that has galvanized, intended to divide our nation, going even to the Civil War, where more Americans were killed and in that war than in every war we have ever fought as a nation from then forward combined, what is strong enough to divide a nation so fiercely that you could cut down your fellow American and not think again about it. Well, I'll tell you what that thing is. And it's the same complexity that the founders themselves faced in Philadelphia when they decided to make us three four us. Since the beginning of time, there has never been a person, a human regardless of what they're hue, that has any that has been anything other than human. So at what point did the country come to the realization that we were then human and therefore entitled to human treatment?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I think most of our listeners know that this. Of course, the country is a racist country. It was founded on racism. I think a lot of people want to believe this fairy tale about America that they were spoon fed and have a willful ignorance about the real origin of the United States of America. But we know our listeners know Nimrada is saying these things to a very specific audience. She is speaking to white America. She's saying, I know I'm brown, but I don't think like those brown folks. I know I have an ethnic name, but if you call me Nikki, will that make you more comfortable? Then will you let me play at your table? Then will you let me sit at the head of the table. And we're going to see how a very racist, maga extremist voting block responds to her, because she's doing all of this for very little reward. If you think by Kyle toeing to this group of people that they're going to say, Okay, well, we don't like the rest of y'all, but we'll make an exception for you, baby girl, You in for a rude awakening.
Speaker 4: It ain't gonna happen like that.
Speaker 1: I don't even need to waste my breath trying to convince somebody it's a racist country. History can tell you that we are trying to force America to fulfill the promise that so many other people think she's already fulfilled.
Speaker 4: That's where the work is.
Speaker 5: But this is why, and this is why I am dumbfounded. Which is why. What is the point to this right now? What value add does it have for us to litigate this this this this topic of where we racist?
Speaker 9: What?
Speaker 5: Why did the Civil War occur?
Speaker 3: Why are these people know why?
Speaker 5: I ain't gonna say everybody, but why are these people so terrified of the future that they're so willing to just grasp to the past as their greatest achievements? About that, but I got to I believe in a better future.
Speaker 3: You know why?
Speaker 1: Vice President Harris responded to this. Angel I didn't see it, but Angela, you saw it.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Anna Navarro asks uh Kamala Harris about this uh statement by Nikki Haley, and she responds on the view, do you agree that America has never been a racist country?
Speaker 10: You know, I first of all, and I think everyone agrees. We all agree the history of racism in America should never be the subject of a SoundBite or a question that is meant to elicit a one sentence answer. But there is no denying that we have in our history as a nation racism, and that racism has played a role in the history of our nation. And when I think about it, I think we all would agree that while it is part of our past and we see vestiges of it today, we should also be committed collectively to not letting it define the future of our country. But we cannot get to a place of progress on the issue of race by denying the existence of racism, by denying the history of racism.
Speaker 3: You know what is most unfortunate to me and tiff and Andrew, I really want to hear your thoughts on this. I don't think that there's a politician running for national office who answers this question. Well, like if we can just not both sides this but just talk about it for what it is. I remember when President Obama was asked if he was the president of Black he said he wasn't the president of Black America. He's the President of the United States of America. Right. There is not a politician seeking federal office, whether they have to run statewide or they're running nationally that answers this question well. And I think Kamala Vice President Harris found her footing in the latter part of this question from Anna Navarro. But I really want her to be able to say yes, from its inception, this country has has a racist past that we are desperately trying to clean up every day. Why does that matter right now? Going back to Andrew's last point, it matters so much right now because they're so willing to manipulate history that they will take it out of books, they will ban books, they will take it out of the classroom, they will ban ap black studies. They are fighting diligently and hard and violently to ensure that we believe something very different about this country's inception, its founders and racism, and it's always been there. And yes, it is an economic battle first, but it is absolutely based on the dehumanization of black people and the others. So I want her to be able to say that. And I I'm so frustrated with this country for not being able to provide us the space that we need to stand ten toes down in our truth and be able to say what it is without the penalty of losing an election, I want her to be able to say that, you know, anyway, I think that's a consistent problem across all politicians, even folks who look like us. As we see, and let me be clear, I will cast a vote for Joe Biden and Kamala Harris, as I assume my two other co hosts will. We have a right to criticize our politicians, and we want to say we want you to do help us, help you. And so I think a part of this challenge is so often in campaigns and elections they will come to black neighborhoods and whisper, hey, when I get elected, I'm gonna help y'all. But they not gonna say that on the stump speech. On the stump speech, they so concerned with appealing to white folks. The challenge is this, politicians, you lost that vote a long time ago. White folks have not overwhelmingly voted for a Democratic party since the sixties, and that is when the demographics of this country looked a lot different. They got I think eighty nine percent of the white vote over fifty years ago. Now, with the changing demographics of America, reevaluate your message and live and speak a more truthful assertion. And if you can can't tell me, if you're trying to convince me, notice, piss you feel in your face is actually rain. You have lost my vote, you have lost my confidence. You have lost the thing that most people look for in politicians, and that's for authenticity. That's the thing that's so fragile and so few and far between.
Speaker 4: I think.
Speaker 1: So I'm always disappointed when I hear people because what the bottom line is, you're trying to make yourself palatable to white thricks, and to me, you leap frog over me and my interest when I'm the main person holding you down. So I will put this not just to Vice President Kamala Harrison, but to anybody who's talking inspire, be bold and speak of truth. We do, and we support you, and we want to help it make it easier for other people to speak their truth.
Speaker 4: Andrew, you guys something else on this.
Speaker 5: Well, I'll just say I'm sick of the question being asked, when do we live in a country where we don't even opposition the question of whether or not we have a racist founding history steeped in it and its vestiges every single day. And what I will argue is the reason Kamala Harris has to answer that way, and I agree with you, I think she got better. More direct towards the end is because of the vestiges of racism and white supremacy. We can't take the chance that by acknowledging that the founding was steeped in racism is the original sin of this country, and every single major battle legal, social, cultural, or economic, and otherwise are stemming from it. It's an octopus with a whole bunch of tentacles, and part of those tentacles include people not being able to speak the truth that we know, and that, to be honest, every single person knows Nikki Hayley, Donald Trump. What they're afraid of is that by acknowledging that it is an indictment on them. I don't indicte you for your ancestors enslaving me, and I'm not even I'm not even blaming you from all the ways in which you benefit today from their having done so. So release yourself with the guilt. That isn't what we're saying.
Speaker 3: I know, I want, I want some people to actually own their guilt. And here's the other part. It's not I don't think that we're trying to put white supremacy and racism at the feet of Nikki Hayley except for when she is benefiting from those things and boldly benefiting from those things.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: But but what I am saying is, you don't get to not acknowledge us. There are other cultures, other groups where you do not garner their support if you don't acknowledge them. And I think that that's where we must be. We must be at the point where we say no if we have been impacted by discrimination in federal contracts and accessing jobs. Now with a ban on affirmative action and higher education, you know, all of the police violence right someplace where again, Kamala Harris, Madame Vice President, stood ten toes down on the George Floyd Justice and Policing Act. We need to keep that same energy right now because people are still being killed by police. Last year was the deadliest year for police violence. I want her in a position where she is shining, and that is as a prosecutor, prosecute the case about racism in this country and go hard at its neck. If you end up sacrificing your role but dismantle the system, my sister was worth it. And I don't want that for her, like I would love to see her in the Oval one day, but it's going to take bold, powerful leadership, and I don't think we get there by doing the same things that have always been done. I would argue right now, just based on where this nation's consciousness is. I don't know if Barack Obama could win today. I don't know if he could running the same campaign that he ran in two thousand and eight in.
Speaker 5: Twenty twelve, I don't know if we would have this problem if Barack Obama had won. That's oh, I'm telling you what to do. I was set in front of them, set in front of them what it might mean when you're not in control, and they assigned him attributes that he didn't.
Speaker 3: Even attempt, didn't even he didn't trying to throw you.
Speaker 5: Out your business. He didn't try to expand opportunities for us to get the same degrees you'd do at no cost, because we built this thing, as Angela says, for free, and there's so many other ways, and so his election, I'm don't know if we'd be dealing with this in quite the way we are right now if they hadn't seen it. Set in front of them.
Speaker 1: Does somebody say during the Trumpet administration that Donald Trump was the president they thought Barack Obama would be. They thought the black president would have one, two, three baby mamas. They thought the black president would have countless indictments showing their own racism. They thought the black president would be inarticulate and wouldn't know how to hold himself on a global stage and up the ante and the steeds that America has. No, that's your boy, that's your people. That's your racism, really, and that's your king who did all that.
Speaker 5: And by the way, in their quiet places, that's them, that's them.
Speaker 4: Absolutely.
Speaker 3: But here's the thing. And I'm not saying that I didn't want Barack Obama to win. What I'm saying is based on where we are right now. I don't know that he could. I don't know that he could. Like I think we as a people are getting more conscious, Like we're not going to moderate to fit in your box. We're not trying to make you feel comfortable in your stuff. We know now that a rising tide doesn't lift off boats, and as hard as hell, fight these waves without a boat to sit in. Right, Like, all of those things anyway, I'm down a whole other road. Tip. I'm sorry, but I just I am feeling away.
Speaker 1: Honestly, because I am just tired of talking about playing in the snow. To be honestly, it's not a lot of daylight between any of these candidates. They're all the same. A week's at all of all the Republicans. I'm speaking specifically about the Republican base or the Republican pool of candidates. A week is an eternity in politics. We had a long time to dive into why these folks are garbage. To me, It's time to pay the bills with a quick commercial break, So don't go anywhere because we'll be right back, all right. I want to get into something else. I want to talk about black voter outreach. And the reason I want to talk about this is because the d TRIP, which is the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee, has committed thirty five million dollars to reach voters of color.
Speaker 4: So that's a big umbrella. By voters of color.
Speaker 1: They're referencing black voters, the members of the Api community, Asian American Pacific Islander, the Indigenous community, and of course the Latino community. I find this really interesting and I really want to throw this to you, Angela, because I think it's a really fair point that you make all the time about we uphold this party, and so I want to look at what does this outreach look like? What should this outreach look like, and what should our ass be.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so, as I understand it, they've named this initiative power, Persuade, Organize, welcome, educate, and reach. They've committed five million more than they did last cycle. For us, a cycle is an election cycle. I know that sometimes we use terms on here that everybody doesn't necessarily know. I think that more I want to know, like the line items for this right. You know, there was some pushback that we got after Leonard and I did Joy Show and I talked about campaign consultants and polsters and communication strategists. How are they spending this money? Because if they are targeting voters of color but they're not utilizing consultants of color, I think we find ourselves in the same position. Why am I so upset about this? Why am I always pushing this Because we've been having the same discussion cycle after cycle with little impact. We need people who aren't as informed as we might be because of where we worked because of Andrew. Where we've run, right. We need folks who you know, ride the bus to work, who maybe have been formally incarcerated and just out and want to see politics serve them. The folks who are barely keeping the lights on the folks who are saying I don't know how I'm going to get to the ballot box because I just have to pick up my child on time from daycare, right if they can afford daycare. I want to make sure that we are reaching those folks, and we can't do that trying the same old tactics. Desperate times call for desperate measures. We know that democracy is on the line. We also know that every time turnout is low, the first group of people they blame are their most loyal and faithful base. And I'm looking at them as black voters, right, So I want to make sure that they are treating us as loyal and faithful. Where are you buying ads right? Who are you retaining? What do your focus groups look like? Have you had any conversations with CBC members state legislators of the National Black Caucus of State Legislators NBC, which is the local elected officials. Folks like Andrew who ran the Young Elected Officials Network. Are you talking to young elected officials who overcame so much and as an elected official of color, have something to say. They were able to mobilize a base that you can never even touch. That means you have to do some different things, some extraordinary things to get some extraordinary results. We need that kind of effort. It is a code read. And if the party doesn't realize it's a code read right now, they're in trouble. And you could throw as much money as you want to at it, but if you don't spend it in the right places and talk to people about it how to spend it differently, you gonna find yourself in the same spot.
Speaker 5: That's real and Angela, my responses on the other side of that, which is thirty five million to win an election, how many millions, billions, trillions toward public policy that then benefits and expands opportunities the lives, livelihoods, and lifestyles of communities of color. Because look, I believe the Democrats will spend whatever is required to get the voters they need in order to win that they believe in another win. So what I'm saying is if they thought that it was going to cost them, because this campaign will cost what a billion a campaign a billion for each of the parties and their allied groups. That's so thirty five million a billion over the course of the campaign when I ran for governor of the state of Florida, where black people are still only about eleven percent of the voting population. Yes, we had tactics that were very specific and discreete to different activities that minority groups and people of color might do. But black people were part of the center of my campaign, and so in all of ours, spending not in a set aside, but what runs through the bloodstream. The body of the campaign was talking to communities of color and folks who were similarly situated, and I identified who need public policy that works for them too, because we're not a monolith and people are tired of just surviving. They're sick of it. I heard a homeless man interview the other night on a local news station who said, no, I didn't want that. I ain't want him to give it to me. I just wanted an opportunity to earn it. This man doesn't know where he may sleep tonight, but his interest was not in getting something that was for free, but rather having an opportunity to earn it for himself. So don't mistake us. We're not asking that we want to be able to compete, to earn and to know that off the strength of our value and our work alone, that we will earn what we deserve to be paid.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I want to pick up on your point, Angela, because that it's interesting the way that white supremacy has framed the thinking of some black folks. I'm going to pull from my good brother Andrew Gillam. I'm gonna share a bit of a private conversation we had and it's really we have to encourage.
Speaker 4: Encourage people.
Speaker 1: I ain't gonna tell that at all this show, maybe next show, but we have to encourage people to tap into their imagination because I think Andrew, you've made the point before, like that's what they do. They capture our imagination. So if you can't envision a democracy that serves you, because when we say of the people, by the people, for the people, some people are okay with that as long as for the people doesn't include us. And no matter how they make us feel, this is our home. Our ancestors built this joint for free, as my good sister Angela says. And so I think we have every rights. We have every right to make demands of this country. We have every right to criticize this party. And I think that's the punctuating point that Angela was making. And in addition to that, we might lose some of our a man corner here. But white liberals, white liberals are problematic and a lot of these spaces. I worked in labor briefly, and every suggestion I had it was all about organizing communities of color. Every suggestion I had was sumarily dismissed most of the time because they just didn't understand the culture. There's ethnicity and there's culture. They did not understand the culture. And so when I would suggest things like, hey, not everybody is going to an NAACP meeting at six point thirty on Friday, Like, there are other ways where black people organized and galvanized. You got brunches, you got book clubs, you got jack and jail, you got the Divine nine.
Speaker 4: You have all these pockets.
Speaker 1: It's not just churches, barbershops, beauty salons and civil rights groups, you know, I mean, all those places have a role. But you do have to stretch yourself and think beyond that. And they would pay consultants big, huge contracts like twenty five to fifty thousand dollars a month who don't look like me, who are telling you how to talk to people who do look like me.
Speaker 4: That makes zero sense.
Speaker 1: Like to quote the great urban Philosopherdrick Lamar, sit down and be humble, like this is the area where you really don't know what you're talking about. And it's insulting. Like even in their their their effort to work for equality, it is still from a perspective of I know better than you or I'm okay with this as long as we don't get into areas that don't make me feel comfortable.
Speaker 4: And that's a problem.
Speaker 1: To Angela's point about contracts, consultants, all of that matters, even polsters, all of that matter. What do the people look like on your campaign? So you're telling me you're trying to reach out to these communities, but your campaign don't. Your campaign look more like Iowa, New Hampshire than it does Atlanta, Miami, La, Detroit, Chicago. That's not okay. So I got a challenge with it. I know Andrew's campaign look good, Angela was down there getting on it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Here's here's the Here's the thing though, that I want to flag TIF and Andrew to these points. There is if you were saying that they everything was summarily rejected, all your ideas were severely rejected, that is by design. That is, there is a stronghold of a good old boys network that exists not just in the Democratic Party operators, the same thing exists in the Republican Party and even worse right. But what I'm saying is some of these things have to be dismantled and disrupted for them to actually win. And so if they really care about winning Tiff, as you say all the time, the rising majority of America, you have to do something different. It's not throwing an extra five million dollars at it. Because at the core of this campaign is combating disinformation. How what does that look like? You have a hub on your site and you think people are going to go visit that's side. How will they know about this site? You have folks who are working on telling people about voter suppression. They know about voter suppression. See, our issue is they keep talking to people who are already involved, already brought into the fold don't need to be reached. And if you keep talking to those people who don't need to be reached, what's your vocus group talking about? What are they saying? Tipp has told you, you know, these are the things that I'm here from people in my family, my friends, who are not politically engaged. D Trip has said they're focusing on seven districts in California. Two in California, one in Florida, one in New Mexico, two in Texas, and one in North Carolina. That's gonna be a black and brown strategy. Who are the consultants? We'll be here next week, same time, same place, d Trip, Please, by all means, send us the names of the consultants who are black and brown, who you've engaged in this work. We want to know and we want to know how much you're spending with them. And don't tell us that seventy five percent of this is going to add buys. Yeah, and for the people online who said, why does this matter? I'm in the weeds. It matters that I'm in the weeds because it's your cousin and your auntie and your church member who's not involved. You might be. You might already be in the hive, and that's great for you, honey. I'm talking about the people who don't feel like they're gonna get up off the couch. It's not about them voting for Donald Trump or Nikki Haley or whomever else ends up running against Joe Biden. It is about making sure that they feel heard and seen enough to go to the polls. I already had to risk it all.
Speaker 5: Once same and then after they do that, produce the public policy. Yes, that's going to get us free. Yes, produce the evidence I want the receipts. The receipts are not your election. The receipts are the bills, the policies, the systems, the structures, the organizations, the entities that you dismantle that stand in the way of my liberation.
Speaker 1: Because if I am only of value to you as I show up to vote, then you don't honor my life. I am of value because I am a child of God. I was produced here, I breathe, I love, I feel just like you. That is my value. And so when I start from a place of saying, hey, I understand the person who does not want to participate in the very system that has harmed them. I'm not saying don't vote. I'm showing up in first to say, I understand you.
Speaker 4: Brother.
Speaker 1: Ain't nobody asking you to believe in this white man's democracy. We asking you to believe in you happen to your imagination. And what does a government look like that services you, your family and protects the country and advances equality for everybody. I think that's an important point.
Speaker 3: Because you paid for it. Because you paid for it, they work for you.
Speaker 5: It doesn't require a whole bunch of imagination. I would just say, treat me like you would want to treat your your son or daughter, the things that the safeguards, the protections, the the opportunities that you want in place for them. I love it be imaginative enough to see me like you might see your own child or a member of your family, and you would do whatever you could. Let's talk about kids. For your you. I would tear down these walls and this brick to to to to do whatever I needed to do to make a way from my child. So if that's the case, and I believe it is for them too, put that brain on and let that brain god your your action.
Speaker 1: All right, Welcome back to Native Land pod, welcome back home where we keep it a book, Give it to you straight, No chase there this one. I was reading the papers and I honestly thought about Andrew Gillham when I saw this story. Andrew, Florida Man. Florida Man is busy in your neck of the woods, and they wreak havoc on everybody else. Now there is a story that it might soon become illegal, literally illegal to call somebody racist, homophobic, misogynistic. That somebody literally put this on the ballot. It was yet another Florida Man. Now we got the good kind of Florida man with us. Andrew, what is up with this law? I mean, the reason I'm concerned about it is because a lot of crappy laws emerged from state legislatures, and so when we don't pay attention and don't take it seriously, it ends up landing in Congress and becoming a federal policy. So can you give us a background on this? Is it possible that this actually might ask listen.
Speaker 5: First of all, yes, in a state where Ron Dea Santis chief a spokesperson as CEO executive director of Florida Man Incorporated, Yeah, it could. But guess what. I don't think there's a snowballs chance in hell that free speech lawsuit wouldn't immediately ensue and stop this whole thing in its track. But more importantly, this is coming from Rond DeSantis and his party here in Florida, who basically invented the word the pejorative and negative a tone a connection of woke, wokee culture. I mean, they practically invented the attack unquote woke people in wote culture because they said they're acting like squirmy worms. They can't they just don't have a spine. They can't hear anything they disagree with, and so they wanted to legislate that you could not be a whiny baby about the things that you don't like. Okay, and I'm using they're approaching not how I think about it. Well, how can that same group of people now pass suggests legislaate that you can't call a racist a racist or a call out institutions for the things that they do. How can you abridge my free speech? Who's acting soft and warming now ron so high Hills, ain't I ain't hating I mean, if you know, they look good with them.
Speaker 1: But this, this is from a state senator, Jason Broader. Jason Broder, I don't know if I'm pronouncing his name right, Broder, Well, listen, I'm saying his name because at some point, nobody knew who Ron DeSantis was, and now everybody does, so like, who knows where Jason can go introducing this kind of legislation. He will rally the uninformed, the ignorant, the racists, the angry, the misogynist and xenophobics, and they will rally behind this man and try to send him to the White House if we're not careful. So this is what's happening in Florida, is what you got.
Speaker 3: I just you know, there's nothing new under the sun in the Sunshine State. And I think it's really really unfortunate, you know, seeing that they would work to pass a law that says that it is defamatory for you to call someone racist what if they are? Or sexist? What if they are? Or misogynists? What if they are? But it's more of we cannot handle the truth of what this country represents to so many people, and so we're gonna work our very best, our most diligent to silence you. So I think it's more of the same I said.
Speaker 5: Of doing the campaign, A hit dog will.
Speaker 3: Holler, Yes, it will.
Speaker 5: They've been so offended by honest, a hit dog will holler. And they're hollering through their legislation, their proposals because we've come too close to the nose with this, with this stone. Yeah, we've come far too close to them.
Speaker 1: The best quote you had on the campaign, I thought was on a debate stage. And when you say, I'm not saying he's the racist, but the racists thinking are racist. I thought that was such a brilliant line.
Speaker 5: Andrew, that's what the party has become, that's what they have their candidates have become. Yeah, they don't want us to call them racist. But why is it that all the races seem to be organized behind you all who don't like diversity of women? What?
Speaker 9: What?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 9: What?
Speaker 4: Openly out louds?
Speaker 9: Is it? Right?
Speaker 1: They standing they standing down and standing by.
Speaker 5: They know exactly what they're doing. You know exactly what they're doing. And then and there's no there's you talk about we give it straight, no chaser, they're giving it to it straight. There's no content.
Speaker 1: It's not just politics though, like I mean, as we say, politics are everywhere.
Speaker 5: Everywhere, are everywhere.
Speaker 1: I'm shifting gears again. For those who don't know me and are getting to know me, I happen to be one of the country's most world renowned sports experts. People are always begging me for my sports expertise. It is no no, let's some football. I am happy to hear there is a new black head coach in the NFL and curious y'all's thoughts about it.
Speaker 3: Well, I think that the most important thing to note is that for a league that has over seventy percent of its players looking like us, the coaching staff does not reflect the players. We know that the Rooney rule has now been in place for over twenty five years, but we've yet to see the real results from that, and so it's always uh the rule is the Rooney rule ensure that there would always be someone black interviewed for coaching positions, for leadership positions in the NFL, and it just hasn't netted what we would expect. I think the same thing is true about affirmative action policy, right. I think one of the smartest things Bill Clinton said back in the day was amended, don't end it. And I think the same thing applies now. Affirmative action has got some yards to go pun intended here, and I think the same is true for the Rooney rule. So it's always great to have another black coach, but we want to ensure that they have the ability to not just be hired, but to be retained. And that is the same thing we need across industry.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just want to say it's Jared Mayo. He's the new head coach of the New England Patriots. Good Lucky Tree, you're in Boston, brother, we are with you.
Speaker 4: Before we come to you. Andrew.
Speaker 1: I just Angela made such a good point. I want you out to hear from foreign players themselves. The Washington Post did a great piece talking to black NFL players on their thoughts on coaching in the NFL.
Speaker 4: Take a listen.
Speaker 5: I do think the words genius, guru, quarterback, whisperer are all phrases that they use to describe non African American coaches. It's as if we don't have the same IQ intelligence level as some of our other brothers. You can go out and catch the ball, you can throw the ball, but you can you lead.
Speaker 9: I think that if owners would give black coaches more opportunities, not saying that you have to keep a guy for eight years, but you would if he won.
Speaker 5: You're a minority coach, you got to win. It seems like when you have diversity, well you've taken responsibility and this topic is not a topic. But when you don't have it, it's a topic.
Speaker 4: So powerful, very powerful. Andrew what you got.
Speaker 5: You know the beauty of that. And we all know this to be the truth. Those gentlemen were not asking for them to throw out the merit book. They didn't say reduced to standards. They didn't say pay me more or even equal to what you pay the guy now. They said, we simply want an opportunity. When I ran for governor, I did a commercial that set a chance, titled a Chance, And all I was asking for is all of you, with pre determined notions about who I am and what I can do, how I perform, and so on and so forth, just suspend with it for a moment to look at me the same way you might look out. I don't know your son when it comes to you and asks you, I just want a chance. If given a chance, I will dot dot. These guys are saying, I just want a chance.
Speaker 3: All right, everybody, So we told you that this was home and you will always have a seat at the table. So it is your favorite part of the pod where we hear the questions from you all. And today's question first question is Angela.
Speaker 7: And in the breakfast club, you said you hope there would be a push from the administration to meet people where they're at. But I don't see how they will listen without leverage. And I don't see how we have leverage if they know that black people are just gonna vote for them anyway. So how can we work with other people who, whether we think think it's good or bad, might actually threaten to not vote, or what other ways can we pushed to actually get leverage.
Speaker 3: So I think that the most important thing here is something that we hear often tiff and Andrew. It is about what do we do with the folks who say they're not going to vote they feel like their leverage is in not voting, and what other things can we do to ensure that we have leverage. Well, I'm proud to say that Tiffany and I and some of our dear sisters utilize I think what is part of our leverage in the last election. In the twenty twenty election, after Joe Biden Rant one South Carolina, we said, you know what, black folks made sure that he got to the finish line, and we said that there were three things that we wanted from Joe Biden. The first was a black woman vice president, the second was a black woman Supreme Court justice, and the third was a black agenda. We know that we're still lacking on the black agenda part, but this is the perfect moment for me to shout out our dear sister Alicia Garza, who does some tremendous work the Black Census Project. She has talked to over two hundred thousand black people. It is the largest survey of black people in the country, and that census, that survey will serve as a basis for what and how we construct a black agenda. I think our leverage is in pushing our agenda. What do we require of any elected official that serves us on the local, state, or federal level. Our leverage is not in saying, if you don't play with us, we're gonna take our ball and go home. Our leverage is in saying we're always going to show up and even when you don't want to see us. We're gonna be sitting right at your door, or we're gonna be calling you, or we're gonna be emailing your staff to find out where you are on xyz. And here's this black agenda for the local level, here's this black agenda for the state level. Here's this black agenda for the federal level. We want to see our agenda happen, and we are going to push you to do what we want to do. Why Because, as the CBC always says, there are no permanent friends, no permanent enemies, just permanent interests. And our permanent interest is in seeing our true and ultimate liberation in this country, and everybody else should follow suit.
Speaker 1: All right, the next question, Andrew, I would love to get your thoughts on it. Take a listen and Andrew, you can respond on the other side.
Speaker 2: Hey, Native land Pod, I'd love to hear your thoughts on why many of our elected officials, both in the House and in the Senate, and even in state and local government for that matter, that are of advanced age and almost choosing to die in office.
Speaker 5: Oh man, Well, first of all, I'm not going to be the one to sour on older politicians in office. I think what matters to me most in that consideration is what have they done for us lately? What have they done for me lately? Are they still producing so on and so forth, Because in that case, maybe what you need to do is go intern or go apply for a job and then help influence around that process. But my real answer you, aside from you know, respect for those who are older but are doing their job, is that not many of us are choosing the run against them. Not many of us are choosing to say we are ill served. And if you don't show up and show out on the job that we put you on, then I am going to take you out. People don't people don't fear things and people and interventions that don't impact on their lives. If you can't make a difference for me, then then why are you here? And that is the that's the that's the rude sounding aspect of politics. But these decisions get made every single day, every single day. Why do they legislate against us when we're such and such other population Because they don't fear that we're gonna do anything about it. And I don't mean extracting your vote from the democratic part I mean, have we shown up at their offices? Lady? Did we go to their town hall and pack that thing out? Did we show that we can produce people who then will hold them accountable? And unfortunately, if you just say, oh, I'm not going to vote in next election, we don't know who to credit, we don't know who to reward, we don't know who to induce. So show that you can produce something and that you are forced to be reckoned with and therefore power. What does it say? Oh, this was Fanny lou Hamer. Our seeds nothing without a demand. Power yields nothing. And all I would add to without a demand is in a way to enforce it.
Speaker 1: I just I want to just real quick just say to the caller's point about older people dying in office, I do think there is something to be said that it is our responsibility to bring up the folks behind us. And so I know a lot of people hold on to their positions, but it's hard, right, you know, but there are younger people in place, and I think to Andrew's point, like get in the position, get out there and run, you know, like there are very few limitations if you want to run for office. Get out there and knock on doors. It's not just I'm not saying go out and be thirty five and let you know your first jobs in government to be president of the United States like it was with Donald Trump. I'm saying, there are school board elections, there are city council, there's aldermen, there's all kinds of things that if you want to see changing your community, you can do, and to put yourself in a position to run for federal office one day if that's what you want to do.
Speaker 5: But I do think we have fairness to Donald Trump. His first job was our president. He ran many businesses into the ground prior into.
Speaker 1: This first job in government was president of the United States.
Speaker 5: That I'm talking.
Speaker 1: About his business at his first jobs job in the government America, seventy five million Americans say yes, we will let you be president of the United States when you and the.
Speaker 5: City council are we blame for that?
Speaker 4: If seventy five million Americans?
Speaker 3: So anyway, Yeah, As a former executive director of the Congressional Black Caucus, this comes up a lot, especially with our elders, and I think one of the things we don't just have a responsibility to bring up young folks. We have a responsibility to ensure that older folks can retire and step aside with dignity, and we don't always do that. I will never forget when Congressman Major Owens left office and retired, he went to be a Library of Congress. Fellow. That's not what happens with white folks when they retire from Congress. So we need to figure out what else we can do. I think it is so shortsighted when some folks, again to your points, have who have no experience, want to challenge in primary and elected officials. Also, who's actually doing the work for us. I'm not talking about the people that are just sitting there as benchwarmers. I'm talking about the folks who are really doing the work. So I just wanted to bring up that one distinction. Shout out to my CBC.
Speaker 4: Fans and listen.
Speaker 1: I want the viewers to note, we don't just answer questions that are nice and polite. If you disagree with us, if you have criticism, we want to hear from you. So dm us drop us a note, follow us on socials, drop your question and we would love to hear it. I want to play something we did hear from one viewer, an enthusiastic viewer who did like the show and had some criticism as well. So some advice, some advice, some advice, So please everybody take listen to Mama Rai, also known as Angela's mom, who listened to our podcast and had some thoughts and.
Speaker 3: Son to say, Mama Riah in the building, Mommy, what's the one thing you liked about Native Lampard?
Speaker 10: It was very well organized, and you guys are articulate and good thinkers.
Speaker 3: What is one thing you would change? Can I tell you this lady's normally deliver it and takes her time. She didn't even think about that, mind you. Shout out to my pastor, God Dad. It was a bishop in the Kojik church who had words I know about them. God Dad, and my father who thinks he is the father of me and Tiff and Andrew, Andrew's mama. We got dragged, so y'all we had well in our forties, well in our forties in trouble in time out, So we gonna limit the cussing on here. But sometimes law your mother in law too. I forgot Jesus, So we we're gonna work on it. We are still saved worn again. We're not backsliding out here. But sometimes you know, there's a word that you can't find, and four little word helps. But we'll do our best.
Speaker 1: And you need something to punctuate your point, and they have four letters to them, so brace yourself. Sometimes you might. My two co hosts can probably be a little more clean than I can. But sometimes you might hear from this center right here to say something to punctuate a point.
Speaker 4: But the Lord going to.
Speaker 5: Tell you who taught me the cuss words.
Speaker 4: Exactly, Daddy, Daddy.
Speaker 1: The Lord is still working on me. Also bear with me, all of us. All right, thank you so much for your questions. We again, we want more. What do you want to know? Send us your videos dm us on instag, Facebook and Twitter. But right now we're going to hear from our sponsors. But don't go away, because right after this break, I will be telling my story on what happened with me at MSNBC. All right, what happened with me at MSNBC. Before I get into this story, I want to just say first that I am good. All of us are good, All of my co hosts, we are all good. This is not some sort of Revenge Tour. We are looking forward, not backward. But it's important that we take the time to address these things because one, we want to be truthful. Some of you all know us, some of you don't, so you're getting to know us. We want to be honest with our listeners, and we really want to answer question.
Speaker 4: And that was the main question I got.
Speaker 1: I still get when I'm walking through airports and people stop me, they always ask what happened with you at MSNBC. So I think it's important that you all know how we got here and why this platform is so important to all of us for different reasons. So I will start with MSNBC to say how I got to the network. So I used to appear on MSNBC all the time, and I was never paid. There are paid contributors and there are people who go on for free. Ellie Misstaal is one of the most brilliant voices. He's on that network frequently. He has never been paid for his brilliant contributions nor for the viewers that he brings to the network.
Speaker 4: So keep in mind when.
Speaker 1: Y'all see on social media comments and people say, well they getting paid millions to get up there, and say whatever. No, very few people are paid contributors, and when it comes to people who look like us, even fewer people. So people were being paid to lie. I was spitting all my truth for free. But that's another testimony. So Enjoy made history by going Joy read who hosts The Readout, When she made history by going to prime time, first black woman in cable news to host a primetime show. I was guest hosting for her, and this was really part of the audition process to see who would be taking over for Joy. This was also at the time that I had a book coming out, my first book that I wrote, Say It Louder was hitting bookshelves and so on my pub date, I was invited to appear on Mourning Joe So Joe Scarborough. I'm sure y'all have watched Joe Scarborough before the segment. Right before I was coming on, Joe Scarborough started saying that he wanted the Republican Party to get their acts together. He didn't want his country run by some of the leftists who were running countries like Portland, and he called out some other municipalities that this was right after the height of Black Lives Matter, and so he said we got to get it together, and the Republican Party is failing. Donald Trump turned the party racist. So when I was introduced, I obviously had a lot to say about that. There's an unspoken rule that you're not supposed to disagree with Joe. But I didn't get that memo. Even if I had, I don't know how much attention I would pay to it. And so when it came time for me to speak, I went through very specific policies, talked about Ronald Reagan, talked about George Bush, and made the point that even though they may have been more articulate, their policies were just as damaging to black folks, and that this was truly the only GOP that I knew, And I think this incensed Joe. My segment was done, Joe disagreed with me. We went back on forth. I got off air. We were trending every single time I did Morning Joe. We were trending. And when I say we, I don't mean Joe Scarborough was trending. I mean Tiffany Cross was trending on Mourning Joe. Well after I got off the air, he continued to talk about it. He was very upset. Apparently and so when he left set, he was beside himself. That's what was described to me. I was told from several reputable sources, including a talent agent, two anchors, and another executive at the network, that he left set and went into the president's office, the president of the network, to complain about my segment, complain that I disagreed with him, said that I called him racist and suggested that I should not be joy read successor to get the show.
Speaker 9: Wow.
Speaker 1: So the president at the time was another white man, but his boss was a man by the name of Caesar Conde, and I got to show. Caesar Conde hired me. He was also a historic hire, a Latino man overseeing the entire news division of NBC Universals that was the Today Show everything. So I got the show after this big battle. But little did I know the battles were just beginning, my friends, because let me tell you, on my show, I was very mission driven, and Angela has heard me talk about this, Andrew's heard me talk about this. I take the Fred Hampton philosophy of being inclusive in our battles, so I was very intentional. Obviously, I'm showing up for black folks talking about black folks. I'm a black woman, that's my first priority. But I wanted to be sure to include stories that were relevant to our fellow countrymen, like the Asian American Pacific Islander community, like the Latino community, like indigenous How often do you see Native Americans on platforms telling their stories, testifying, talking about what's happening with them. I want you all to know, every single week, from the start of my show to the very last show I did, it was a battle. Every single week. It was a battle to cover things that I wanted to talk about. The network's philosophy was Trump Trump, Trump, Trump, Trump Trump. They wanted me to be part of the echo chamber, and I fought as hard as I could. I wanted to cover things like in humane treatment and prisons. That's something that disproportionately impacts my community, mental health among black men, the erasure of Afro Latinos in the Latino community, land battles of the Indigenous Native Americans trying to get their family artifacts back from museums right here in America, black farmers reaching Latino voters, things like that. When I would fight these battles, I know y'all know exactly what I mean I was spoken to in the most condescending ways. I mean anything from being told the definition of news. Me with my twenty plus year career in news and broadcasts and television, I would have somebody sit across from me and explain to me how news worked.
Speaker 4: I had my intelligence questioned.
Speaker 1: The central theme to them again, Trump, Capitol Hill, Minutia, and they wanted me to use the same recycled faces you see all the time. So I've really found the constant criticism debilitating at times, but mostly confusing. And let me tell you why, Because viewers seemed to love it. According to NBC's own research department, the Cross Connection, my show was averaging four point six million viewers a month. We had the most black viewers, second only the Revern NOWL Sharpton Show. We were routinely the highest rated show of the entire weekend. So I was scratching my head, like, what's y'all so mad about?
Speaker 9: It?
Speaker 1: Seems to me like there are some other shows that warrant your attention, not this one. We actually routinely beat Morning Joe in the ratings. This is something a lot of people don't know. People think millions of people watch more than Joe. This is public information. You can go on and watch maybe a few hundred thousand, maybe six hundred thousand, seven hundred thousand. Clearly we were getting more than that. So I'm getting more ratings than your favorite white boy, but I'm getting criticized every turn. Joe was allowed to say what he wanted to say, as were other white men on the network. He came up with the phrase Moscow Mitch, I use that phrase too.
Speaker 3: Good one.
Speaker 1: Joe my other colleague who I rock with, and you know we have no beef. But Ari Melburgh gets to quote rap lyrics. I had my script scrutinized. They didn't want me saying anything that sounded like an insult. When I would make a reference to something that was very specific to the black community, it was always a question, is this enough that people would understand most of your viewers are white, etc.
Speaker 4: Etc.
Speaker 1: It was exhausting, and I know a lot of my folks out there go through that every day, so I just want y'all to know I went through it too. But I held the line as best I could. And this is an important point that I want to make for me in behalf of my co host There is a burden to speak in the truth. It comes with a consequence, and when you find yourself as the messenger, there is a power structure in place that is not welcoming to our voices. And I was prepared for these battles because I had been fighting them my entire career, from my time as a producer and associate producer at CNN to a field producer at America's Most Wanted, to a field producer at Discovery to an executive producer at Viacom. I fought many battles at this point because I had shifted from being behind the camera to on camera. In fighting these battles, I can't lie. I made some enemies. I held the line I didn't acquiesce, because for me, what was the point in having this platform If I'm going to show up and spit out some vanilla granola boringness and hope that one day maybe the white man would let me host his Today Show. I've just never seen that happen. I have never seen anybody be rewarded for acquiescing to the comfort of white folks, not in a way where I could live with myself. I would go through what I went through ten thousand more times for sake and my own integrity and character, my viewers and my community were always the top of mind. I never positioned my self to center to comfort the colonizers. So leadership change at the network and a new president came in and listen, we need to celebrate and normalize the leadership of black women. So we can never make this about one individual. The problem is systemic. So if a black person is at the HELM, but they consider part of their job to keep free black folks in a state of submission, or to prove to their superiors that they can keep black and brown folks in check, that's really not anything to celebrate. An overseer might be of the community, but they are certainly not in it. And so I was fighting battles internally with leadership, and then I was fighting battles externally. I would routinely sound off on issues that centered white supremacy, a disease that y'all know still sickens the country. And often these essays I did would go viral and we would garner over a million views across all social media channels. Well, it didn't take long for the right wing media zealots and extremists to begin attacking me. Everybody from Megan Kelly to Bill O'Reilly routinely with accusations and racist white fear. But one night's Tucker Carlson dedicated the top of his show to me. I want you all to take a listen.
Speaker 11: Now, you probably knew about Joy Reid, the race lady who's been fixated on race hate for years now. But MSNBC has a new host, someone called Tiffany Cross.
Speaker 1: Okay, So Tucker goes on to play several clips from my show, and pretty much anytime I said the word white people, he messed them together and was basically accusing me of trying to start a race war by comparing my commentary to what happened in Rwanda Kajohn O'll Tucker care so much about black lives? And then live on air, he began to direct his comments to the executive.
Speaker 11: So you have to ask yourself, what does Comcast board think of?
Speaker 9: This?
Speaker 11: Comcast board is mostly white people. White people who, according to the channel they own, decided they wanted something, then they annexed it. White people who still, because they're white, white people who could quote turn to violence where they don't get their way white people are going crazy endangering their communities. So you have to ask yourself, why are they putting this on the air, Why are they allowing this. This is not a policy debate. These are open attacks on people, on Americans.
Speaker 1: So after this, the network did not issue a statement the way they had for some of my white colleagues who had also been targeted by MAGA extremists. Instead, network executives spoke to me and instructed me that I could not respond to Tucker Carlson at all. Then they began to scrutinize my show, every little thing I wrote, every little thing I said before the show, after the show, after the show. It was always, here's all the things that you said, here's all the things.
Speaker 4: That you did wrong.
Speaker 1: The ratings didn't lie, but according to them, people must just be tuning in to criticize me, because that's all they had was criticism. Never thanks for doing a good job, never thanks for bringing so many new viewers to the network. They assigned more oversight, more executives, which meant more battles for me to discuss topics that were relevant to an emerging audience that I was bringing to the network, much like Le brought an emerging audience to the CNN. So then I did a rant on Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas and his insurrectionist supporter of a wife, and it was definitely very snarky, but it was factual. And the network leadership, nervous about the attention that I was attracting to the network from the right wing, began openly siding with conservative viewpoints. And I was invited on a late night comedy show hosted by Charlemagne where we were asked to pick one of four states that we get rid of. And know this to my friend and my brother, Andrew Gillham, but this is what I said. Florida literally looks like the dick of the country. So let's get rid of Florida.
Speaker 5: Ron is the country there.
Speaker 4: Let's cast rate Florida.
Speaker 1: Here's the problem, Ron, the stupid, Ronda Santis, whatever you want to call Florida man. He is so problematic. The people there passed Amendment for which gave returning citizens those formerly incarcerated the rights to vote.
Speaker 4: He instituted a poll tax.
Speaker 1: He has done everything he can to keep black and brown people from the ballot. He traffics in stupidity and ignorance, and I just think they are a problem for the rest of the country.
Speaker 4: Let's get them.
Speaker 3: Out of there.
Speaker 1: So after that show, this was four days before midterms, and one day before my show was going to air, we had booked an exclusive sit down with Stacy Abrams, who, as you all know, was in the fight for her life running for governor at that time. That morning, I got a call from the president of the network saying they would not be renewing my contract, which was up in a month, and that my viewers would not even be given the courtesy or respect of me being able to sign off or have a final show. I think it's important that you all know when that happens, it suggests to other people in the industry that this person is so unhirable that we could not trust her with a live mike. So it was all very intentional. The firing was abrupt, and it was also very intentional to my audience, to my viewers that you are not the type of viewers who the company cares about. I was devastated when my show was canceled. I was so sad, not just for myself professionally and all that I had fought for, for more than two decades, but for the viewers, for the audience, because I did not have confidence that there would then be another place where indigenous topics, API Latino and a fam topics that we covered was going to be And this is where I have to testify. And I've always cried when I talk about this, but I'm not going to cry to day because I feel so good. I was surrounded by machetes. When I say machetes, I mean my sister friends are our girl group. It's a group of us were all in media, and Angela Rye at that point took on the role of mama, chief of staff security. Everything you literally could not get to me without going through her, because I had reporters calling the audience was an uproar that we were trending for weeks even though my show wasn't on air, and I felt so comforted at that time. The shock of what happened didn't even hit me until weeks later because I was surrounded in sisterhood. You guys saw joy Read closed her show after my show was canceled, giving me a shout out. Sunny Hassen was given interview saying, you know what a big deal this was and that the media went backwards with the canceling of my show. I was just truly surrounded, and so find you some friends who ride for you like that.
Speaker 4: There was a fierce.
Speaker 1: Backlash from the audience, and I was never given an official reason for why they canceled my show, but it was pretty obvious that I had drawn the ire of white conservatives, which even made some white liberals uncomfortable.
Speaker 4: So I had to go.
Speaker 1: Never mind that millions of people found my voice to reflect the ears. They weren't the viewers who MSNBC seemed to care about.
Speaker 4: But I gotta say.
Speaker 1: What happened next truly surprised me, despite me not saying anything at the time other than to issue a very politely worded and gracious statement mostly for my viewers, a statement in which did not attack the network at all or say anything bad about them. The network began attacking me. They planted hit pieces in the press. The president of the network began a bizarre, unhinged tour where she was on damage control. I don't know what she was trying to do, but it was filled with outright lies, including showing up on the set of the view. You guys can Googles and read the story to talk to. Everybody knows Sunny Hasten is a close personal friend of mine. This network executive went to the view tried to talk to Whoopy Goldberg and Sunny Houston. This has been coroborated by countless people and written about. It's very strange for the president of a competing network to show up at another network and talk directly to their talent.
Speaker 4: That just doesn't happen. So it was bizarre.
Speaker 1: It was humiliating at the time, to be quite honest, But thank god, I was surrounded in sisterhood.
Speaker 3: And so.
Speaker 1: I fought as much as I could. But I was not trying to go back to the network, but I fought to say, hey, what happened here was not okay. I want you all to know I am good. I am mission driven. My life's mission has always been through work and live in service to the equality and liberation of black folks, and I think when that happens, everyone benefits from that. When black folks are free, we all get free. We are very communal people, and that's why people benefit from our work. If I'm mission driven, it does not matter where I'm doing that mission.
Speaker 4: The work continues.
Speaker 1: If my mission was to be famous, if my mission was to be a celebrity, if my mission was to host a cable news show, well then my mission dies. That ain't never been my mission, will never be my mission, and so when your mission driven, just keep that in mind. Here we are, the work continues. I am thrilled to be in community with my fellow co host here. I think it is so important that you hear our voices and that you see that we continue to live, survive, and thrive because the message this was intended to send was don't get too free and don't get too gold. Then don't get too audacious in your blackness. And if they can somehow send me out there as a warning signal and say, look what we did to her, this might happen to you, then it might shiver somebody into not speaking the truth. And I want to testify that I am here still speaking the truth, and my story did not end at MSNBC. MSNBC was certainly the top of one mountain in my career, but it was the bottom of a next and we are here to keep climbing. I want to thank you all the viewers for riding with me during that time. I cannot tell you a specific reason the show was canceled because I was never given one but to be in community and still get to be in service only happens because you are ride with me so hard, and I just want y'all to know I will always, always, always ride with you. And I want to say thank you to the Machetes, but most certainly, first and foremost, I have to thank.
Speaker 4: Angela, who held my hand.
Speaker 1: We were in Atlanta together, we were still speaking together, we were out doing you know, voter drive work, eating, strategizing, and so when you have friends who ride with you in the thick of it, it really just softens the blow and it inspires me to be that person for someone else, because angel is always that person in our friend group. So thank you, my sister Angela. Thank you my brother Andrew, because you you were dealing with your own life and posted about me on social media, which I know you hate. So I want to thank you both for standing in solidarity with me and know that the community will always have us to stand in solidarity with them.
Speaker 3: You know, Tiff is the nicer one of the two of us, and I want to just say that three of us, most times. I want to just say that it is so disappointing how this was handled. I do want to shout out joy read Joyanne Reader der sister who puts it all all on the line all the time for what is righteous, and she did the same thing with you because because it was the right thing to do. And shame on you. To the other black hosts on that network who said nothing, I see you, I see you. I also want you to know that we know that you called people of influence to try to slander Tiff and to damage her character and it did not work. I'm gonna say one more thing that I'm probably gonna get in trouble for Anne Walker Marshawn. I don't know why you decided to launch a pr campaign against something you know nothing about, but shame on you. Shame on every black person in position of power at that network and other places who did not say anything and do anything. You know exactly who you are, and I will not give you the dignity that you do not deserve to say your name on this here number one podcast. You can download it though, And guess I'm not bitter, but I'm gonna tell them the truth.
Speaker 4: We're naming names.
Speaker 1: I'm not gonna name all the names, but there was a very senior Obama administration official who got involved. And what I noticed or learned from Antelo's people are loyal to power. People are loyal to those who they think can do something for them. So when you have the option, when you have the choice to do what's righteous or to do what serves you, do what serves the community, or do what serves the greater good, or serve yourself. A lot of people they were jocking. And let me just say that some of these black women, including the one who was at the home of the network at the time, came to black folks in crisis where we have been with you always. We didn't come to you in crisis. We came with our hands extended to say, what can we do for you? Not what you can do for us? How can you cover us in our time at crisis? So that was disappointing to see we.
Speaker 3: Didn't have to come because we've always been See there's a distinction. We don't have to come at all. We've been here. We can welcome you home because we at home the rest of y'all. You can come on back. We're gonna let you come back. But let me just say this last point that Andrew, I want you to weigh in. You can be high and mighty. I'm still gonna go low, low, low to the flow. Tiffany deserves an apology, right and this is an opportunity for the network to get it right. She deserves an apology for the disrespect. There were articles that came out about her mismanaging resources for the show. It's a lie from the fiery pits of hell. We're not doing that right. And so she deserves an apology. And so I encourage you all. It's twenty twenty four. We'll give you a clean slate, but you need to apologize you're out of pocket. Go ahead, Andrew, say something that sound like church, because I'm sound like something else. I sound like reality TV right now.
Speaker 5: First of all, a man a man, A man a man, Ditto to all of that. Ifany, you are one of the hardest working on SMATE professional people. I know this is my first time hearing the extent of your story, but I didn't need to hear it to be with you, and just says a reminder to all of us. There were other African tribes who co created with white slave traders to sell other blacks into slavery. And I say that to they were few and far between. Let that be known they were. The minority are very very small. Let's call them the one percent. There's no wonder why that one percent mentality still exists, and and and and and unfortunately still thrives in the highest of places, so much so that they divorced themselves from the culture and from who they are, to side with a group of people who one know they're not part of the original clan, They're just they they've adopted it. Cardagie Woodson says, uh, you know, if you send the miseducation of the Negro requires that if you send a man to the to the back door, and he he he, he goes to the back door, and he goes without challenge because he knows his place. And if he gets there and there is no door, he will carve one out for its special purpose. His education makes it necessary. And this again is part of the vestiges of enslavement and discrimination rooted in the founding of this country and has played out over all those many, many many years. Is that some of us have adopted the master's tools and use those same tools to dismantle us. They using to dismantle us, because the master tools, as we are told, will never be used to dismantle the Master's house. Never, those tools were adopted by them to use on us. And that's how we can you know, and it is what it is. But I know one thing. The devil is a lie, a lie. His intention is to create chaos, divide, destroy, devour and then cause you to believe what he says about you instead of what he says about you. And I just love the fact that you didn't embrace any of it. You knew who you were, you knew who's you were. And through all of our experiences, who has the shouting, who gets the victory? I'm all bet on the two of you every day of the week, every day of.
Speaker 4: The week, right back at you.
Speaker 1: And I have a question for you, Andrew, because one thing that happened after all this happened, so even members of the Congressional Black Caucus, we're calling like, hey, what happened here?
Speaker 4: We don't like it.
Speaker 1: They were calling Comcast and reaching out. I had introduced a project to the network, the Culture Is. It was something that Joy read and I hosted. It was supposed to be a special it aired. We won our time spot that night. We trend it on Twitter that night and it was for black women, and then there was iterations after that we were intentional about. We said, hey, we think the Asian Americans should have one, the Latino women should have one, Indigenous women should have one. So this was a project Joy and I brought to the network. When members of Congress were calling to complain, the heads of the network were saying, no, no, no, no, we still value diversity because we have this great new project called the Culture Is. They were using my project that I brought to them to cover themselves.
Speaker 4: But Andrew to.
Speaker 1: Justify it, I mean, you got to have a strong mental state, you know, to say, you know what, I expect this. And Andrew, you gave me such words of wisdom that I try to adopt every day. I'm having trouble adopting it because I do have expectations. But Andrew, you said to me, Tiffany, you are expecting a hyena to act like a lion when the hyena only knows how to be a hyena.
Speaker 5: That's it. So you can't blame them. We get mad at them but they're only doing what they know how to do, and what a shame.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they need to learn how to do something else.
Speaker 5: Well, all I'm just saying is that is a release for us. We held them at a regard. They don't know what it means to perform at that level. They were faking it the whole time, and we're just being turned on to the trick. We're just learning that they were flogging that they weren't ever in this thing quite the same way they were takers. You were the provider and you're the lion. You and the Pride caught the meal. They were just eating on it.
Speaker 9: That's it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And all I have to say and that we have to know this to free ourselves from it. Now, to your point, Angela, we wanted I'm calling you higher. I need you. If you're in my circle, you're my friend. I expect when the battle comes, you're going to show up as part of the Pride. I have that expectation. But the problem is is that it took crisis for all of us for God to show us that the hyena was a hyena and we didn't have the power to remove them from our lives before. So he did it. He extricated them for us. So I ain't no love loss. I see you, Hey, we're moving. You're not in the Pride. Why because you're not a lion?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just I want to do one more thing because I shouted out some people that should be ashamed of themselves. I want to shout out some folks that I want to send some love to because they showed up for you too, Joe Tika and that dog gone win with black women and all of the women who signed to that letter. Joe taka Edie Right, I'm saying it like she's everybody's sister. She's our sister who we love. Check her name. She's standing on them credentials ten toes down. I'm Joe Tika. But Joe showed up for US civil rights leaders who signed onto the letter supporting Tiff, the folks who asked questions and stuck by the questions they asked. I am grateful for y'all, and I see y'all too. The rest of y'all, I still say, be ashamed, but I did want to say shout out to the people that showed up.
Speaker 1: Thank you Angela for that, and thank you to the Machetes as well on everybody who supported, because I felt your love support, even people I didn't meet who were just like, I'm praying for you. I'm mad about it. Who just stuck with me and was able to see immediately through like oh wow, this network, this big network trying to take this little black woman out.
Speaker 3: And she is little. She got she talked Ben that she is really little. I don't know if y'all know, tiffanin't but five to two on a good day. Yeah, maybe, but my attitude six's one.
Speaker 5: That's what you're supposed to be. You fun size, but don't cross me.
Speaker 3: Not fun sized.
Speaker 4: Okay, it's that time for call to action. Who's gonna go first?
Speaker 3: I go first because mine isn't really a call to action. But I want y'all to look at this. So this week, my whole year was made because the best basketball team ever in college basketball. To me, they were everything in the nineties for me, My childhood got together. There was a reunion after thirty two years. It was the Fab five University of Michigan boys basketball team, men's basketball, black shoes, black socks a day. Shout out to Jalen Rose, shout out to Chris Weber, Ray Jackson, Jimmy King, and Juwan Howard, who of course is also coaching University of Michigan's men's basketball right now. I so love y'all, and I want you to know that if y'all can get back together again, so can the rest of Black America. I will keep hope alive, as Reverend Jesse Lewis Jackson Senior says.
Speaker 1: And since angelin shouting out Jalen, I'm gonna just shout out Jalen too, who was also very supportive when I was going through what I was going through, posting being physically there. So we love you, Jalen Rose. Shout out to you and all the rest of the Fab five crew, who I actually learned about later in life despite being a world renowned sports expert. All right, Andrew, what's your call to action?
Speaker 5: Hang on in there. The reason we have to be different on this platform is because so many people out there are looking and living by other folks's highlight reels, and they're never exposed to those valleys traveling about those people who they admire and respect and want to be just like. But the truth is we all got valleys. Those days you just want to pull the covers up over your head and not get up again. But see it through. See it through some of them, you know, some of these setbacks to fan Angela. God has to make them loud and big. You got to make them loud and big so that our examples can then be of service to other people that you can go through, come out and stand in the reality and the truth. That's sure later will be better than your former. And I just think I think we're going to exhibit it. Our praise is going to exist through the peak's end of valleys, and I'm just asking y'all to keep us at a peak by arriving with five of your friends, downloading, subscribing, and giving a review to Native Land. We need you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, y'all become the Fab five. Show up with five.
Speaker 3: They have set the example. Also, resist the urge, resist the urge to assassinate character just because you disagree with us, right, or we don't like when we disagree, We're not tearing each other down. There is a way to disagree and not be disagreeable. Right. We are at a critical time in this country. I would ask you all to think long and hard about having difficult conversations and leaning into those and let us figure out a way to get to agreement on the end goal, which I think we mostly do. We might disagree on the means, but I think we mostly do. We disagree all the time, y'all, all the time, and yet here we are together. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I'll pick up on that.
Speaker 1: And my call to action is to be mission driven. Uh, don't get caught up in things that are fleeting, but decide what your mission is, the mission that serves you and the greater good, and focus on that mission. If your mission driven, it makes everything else seem a lot smaller.
Speaker 4: So that's our call to action for the week.
Speaker 5: Welcome home, all.
Speaker 1: Right, Before we end the show, I want to remind everyone, please, please please, We'll keep saying this. Leave us a review and subscribe to Native Land Pod. We're available on all platforms and YouTube. New episodes drop every Thursday. You can also follow us on social media. We are Angela Rye, Tiffany Cross, and Andrew Gillim. Welcome home, y'all. There are two hundred and ninety one days.
Speaker 4: Until election day.
Speaker 1: Native Land Pod is a production of iHeartRadio and partnership with Reason Choice Media. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcasts, or wherever you get your favorite shows.