Speaker 1: Of the law and order franchises, SVU is considered especially watchable.
Speaker 2: We are the amateur detectives who kind of investigate the vicious felonies. These episodes are based on. These are our stories, done.
Speaker 3: Done, Hello, and welcome to That's Messed Up and SVU Podcast.
Speaker 2: I'm your host Kara Klank and I'm Li's a Tragger and we talk SVU crimes, celeb guests and it's a jam packed episode week after a week.
Speaker 1: Honestly, yeah truly.
Speaker 4: And you did just take a sip of something, and I know it's not a corona, but for a second, I was like, damn, she's just drinking a corona.
Speaker 1: It's a high life. Oh nice. I literally thought it was like a fancy soda. I thought it was like a fancy soda. No.
Speaker 2: You know, I've had a busy day and so I didn't have time to go down and get a second iced coffee or Arnold Palmer and there was a little baby dye oft coke in the fridge. But then I saw the high life and I went, my throat hurts. Why not it's spring cause I'm gonna smoke a joint right now too. So it's like I need something to smooth smooth the cords. But I'm flying tomorrow for the first time in like five weeks, and I'm kind of so stressed out.
Speaker 1: I'm bringing the trunk, I don't know, the trunk, like the big that big thing. Oh yeah, because I want to swim.
Speaker 2: I have so many shows I'm taping, Like there's just like so much stuff and what am I trying to prove?
Speaker 1: What am I trying to prove by not?
Speaker 4: You know, every time I feel like I'm overpacked for a trip, I just think about what the housewives bring on a three day trip to like Puerto Rico, and I'm like, I'm okay, it's okay for me to take like one massive suitcase and like a small You're just punishing yourself.
Speaker 2: Like that's what does suck, is like you can can't be late to the airport because then they won't take your back.
Speaker 1: And that is what's hard. That's the one hard thing.
Speaker 2: You can't, you know, because you get all the clears and the things, and you're excited, but you gotta go.
Speaker 1: Or you gotta get there for the bag drop or they don't.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they don't. They're really annoying with that. They don't fuck around the bag drop.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just think I have to bring everything, like unfortunately, that's what this trip is. I have like seven things every single day. Damn that's that.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well I have to jam pack the LA because I won't be back, so I just try to jam pack.
Speaker 1: It's your last time coming to LA ever, I mean hopefully no, no, no, of course not of course not.
Speaker 2: But we we okay, So we haven't talked a lot about a lot. We didn't talk about Meg the Stallion, we didn't talk about I guess we've talked about summerhouse.
Speaker 1: I don't know. Wasn't there something where oh Melissa McCarthy, But we don't want either.
Speaker 4: I know at that time I was going to be very old for you guys, but you know, we're always in the time machine because of travels and end life. But like this, if you don't watch current episodes, which I think many of you don't, you still probably saw on social media that Melissa McCarthy like went to the SVU set wearing an old lady prosthetic mask so that she could surprise Marushka Hargate. And then she was in an episode playing I think a wrestler or like a wrestling personality type, person who hits aggressively on rush Carte. And I haven't watched it yet because I'm behind on the current season and you know, I'm like.
Speaker 1: I got to watch in order, but like what it's given Kathy Griffin.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it's also like it's season twenty seven and she's such a big star. It's it's awesting. But we've been saying this since the beginning. We are scholars. At the end of the day, we are scholars. And the first two episodes we're like, it's going back, it's going back to the special guest star format with regular people, and we I feel like I said that before, even Jamia McGirk, like, but you could tell it was going in that direction and we were correct. We were correct, and it is and we're going to continue. And for the love of God, can I put myself on tape?
Speaker 1: Like yeah, I mean I can't wait to see it. I mean people have been meming it.
Speaker 2: It's like Amelia McCarthy's doing a movie with Connor's story, shooting May in June.
Speaker 1: Yeah, pretty exciting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, cool choices a comedy or it says thriller, it says like crime thriller. So I'm excited he's doing a comedy called Peak, Like, I mean, they're making really amazing choices, working with so many women, Like I'm obsessed with them.
Speaker 4: It's funny because Martin, you are wait what hold on say that again? You're Melissa McCarthy is just so funny. I have seen her be great in Drum. I really liked her in that Please for of Me? Or is that what it's called?
Speaker 2: Yeah, but but it's it's yeah, will you please forgive me?
Speaker 1: But what a fucking terrible name.
Speaker 2: But but like an identity thief, like it's a you know, a broad comedy whatever. But like you do feel for her character and stuff, like I think she does. You know, she's like an orphan. But like I think, I think even in comedy she she grounds it in real emotion.
Speaker 1: She totally does. She's just so funny all the time.
Speaker 2: She could be funny in this because Spy was I don't know, we'll see he's funny too. I mean it could be a comedic crime thriller. I mean he just says crime thriller because.
Speaker 4: It's like even Kathy Griffin when she's in SVU, she's got like funny zingers, but they're kind of like her characters, like kind of serious, like about lesbianism and protecting lesbians.
Speaker 2: Say, some people are just funny doing everything because I don't know, because when I saw Titus Syndronicus, like there were funny moments and there was also you know, hands cut off so you could really do at all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think, yeah, I don't. I'm very interested to see her in like a thriller. I know.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know, you know I'm already harassing my team yet me in there, I'm like so desperate for well, I just yeah, it's like fun to work, so of course I want more of it.
Speaker 1: Wait, but today, so I misread the fucking timer.
Speaker 2: But the official heated rivalry merch came out today and I thought it was had twelve hours, but it was twelve minutes. So by the time I got to it, the fucking Montreal Metro sweatshirt was sold out in like seven minutes.
Speaker 1: Oh no, but I.
Speaker 2: Got the New York Admirals one, which is great. I live in New York and like, so that makes sense. And then my friend Gail, who I messaged with NonStop, like and this is a spoiler to those who don't know. But the Metro's treat Shane like shit when he comes out and like is gay. And so my friends like, fuck the Metros. We're not wearing any Metros merch. I'm like, you're so right, like we can back in the books. That happens in the books, Like in the books eventually, like you know, they're like everyone's gonna know they're gay guys, you know, grow up and they're like awful and homophobic and like don't treat Shane right. And so then I was like, Wow, my friend really knew how to make me feel better. I go, yeah, I'm not supporting that team boring a Metro sweat, No, I would get it if they re released it. But because he actually wears in the show, the other ones are just replicup. They don't wear them, like it's fun to have stuff that's used in the show. But I did get the admirals one. Good job congrats.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: While I was watching my because I my homework is, I'm watching a Russian show about sex workers actually right now, oh scripted, scripted. Yeah, they're trying to get out of the sex work business and open a gym, but they have to pay their pimp out and they're women and it's a small town and everyone's against them, and like there's four of them and one of them as a kid who likes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And how is it watching the TV show in Russian?
Speaker 1: Can you get everything? Well? That's why. Then I have my lessons with my teacher.
Speaker 2: So then I watch the show and then I have all the questions and word and everything, and then we go over.
Speaker 1: What I watched. Amazing, I go over all.
Speaker 2: This stuff, and then we offshoot if things come up, and we talk about regular life so I can like and then she makes lists of words for me that we discussed from everything and sentences and then I go print those out and then I write them over and over again and make flash cards, and then I try to read and write.
Speaker 1: And that's what I've been up to. And you're writing in the you're writing in like the cyrillic and everything. Yeah, I mean it looks like shit.
Speaker 2: And then I've made the background of my phone the alphabet, so then when I'm like struggling because it's confusing to me, I can just look at it right on my course.
Speaker 1: It's a different alpha about it. It's terrible.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like the H is the N, so like the P is the R. It's like shit like that the R is a I.
Speaker 1: But that's so cool. I mean TV's you know, you always say that you fucking like learn English from Baywatch, right or no? Like yeah, and like and and I learned so much Italian from watching Sex and the City dubbed because I knew Sex and the City like by heart. And I would like like watch it with the dictionary. It.
Speaker 4: TV's such a good tool for like language, that's really good that you're will.
Speaker 1: Still do it.
Speaker 2: I meet people still constantly that, like, you know, it's fun to it's fun to learn the show they.
Speaker 1: Watched to learn English.
Speaker 2: And I guess Friends is like a big one for people worldwide internationally. My friend was just telling me she moved to the States when she was like six. She learned from Full House. Wow, so she's a clean cut kid. That's a clean cut kid. I was like a slutty la girl for lifeguards.
Speaker 4: You're like that bathing suit's a little low cut, could see it look could use a little more thigh.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 4: She learned how to say like, she learned how to say like listended like first thing with her like first words in English.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then I told her.
Speaker 2: I need more like upbeat stuff because the Russian movie I saw in the theaters just.
Speaker 1: Depress the show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can the two prosecutors, but then I watched interviews with that actor and stuff like whatever. So that's what we do, so I understand some of it, and then everything I don't understand, or I like sayings or that's what we discuss. And then sometimes like the words they use. She's like, that's like a fucked up way to speak, like I wouldn't disrespect sex workers, like there was a word, and she's like, well, that's if you're being rude.
Speaker 1: That's like calling someone like a dumb slut. You know.
Speaker 2: I'm obsessed with like learning words in other cultures and languages where it's like.
Speaker 1: Oh, you don't say that, like you don't.
Speaker 4: Like I would hear people say stuff in Italian and I'd be like, so what does that mean. They'd be like, you don't say that, like don't and I'd be like, oh okay, I'd be like, well, what's that like in English? I mean like the C word, like like people like but now people say count all the time, Like I don't know, there's not as many. I feel like there's all these things that are like in other languages that I feel like, your mom is a fucking pig slut, and you just wouldn't say that in English really ever, Like you know what I mean, there's no like phrase that is that.
Speaker 2: So I'm kind of like it's hard to understand, Like I don't know, what do you think is somebody there's like whoa, you don't say that, Like I don't know yet, I have no idea, because I also like I'm not I don't know.
Speaker 1: I have no idea.
Speaker 2: I think it used to be kunt, but like, oh, you mean in English?
Speaker 1: Say I mean in Russia in English? English? No, no, no, in English, she'll get shocked about cunt.
Speaker 2: It really depends because this was twenty years ago. I was younger but like maybe a little less. But when I was a slam receptionist. There's a girl who dumped her boyfriend because he called.
Speaker 1: Her a bitch, and I'm like, oh, which is cool, Like I'm glad she did that, but like I don't so then I don't know. I don't know if someone who's like you're being a bit. It's kind of like that.
Speaker 2: Indiana Pacers couple when she's like, what the fuck are you talking about? And a lot of people were like, wait, that's like that's way, and it's like, no, that's like normal, like people normally stupid.
Speaker 1: Do you not know? Did we not talk about these?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 1: I didn't talk about this okay.
Speaker 2: So, like a few weeks ago, there was just like, you know, the not the boomer cam. What is it called this JumboTron JumboTron, I don't know cam it only gets boomers being like oh trump, yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't know why I forgot the word.
Speaker 2: So so it's this couple in their court side and she's just like so cute, and he's just babbling and babbling and you don't know what he's babbling about, but you just see her and it's obvious what she's saying.
Speaker 1: And she goes, she goes, that's you. What the fuck are you talking about?
Speaker 2: Okay, now that you're describing it, I think this meme like flew past my feed, like I'm picturing the couple. But they were just perfect, and then they did interviews together and he's like, get yourself a perfect midwestern girl, like I love her. But like people were like pissed, and she's like, we like each other and says, no, we talk like I don't know. Yeah, everyone is so different. I don't know what someone would say to me. I don't know, like I think someone I think like I think calling someone like an animal, I think is oh yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, that's like like the pig slut. I think, like, if you're a pig, you're a dog. Like, I think that's kind of fucked. But no kink shaming. But yeah, I think that's like kind of fucked. I think that would be rude if I was on stage and went, you fucking pig, like I think.
Speaker 1: I think that would be an issue. Only out of the mouth of our president. Is it accepted by society? I forgot.
Speaker 2: I love how there was a shooting and all the whole country is like, well, it clearly wasn't real. So yeah, and we've moved like no one believes that. We're fine with it.
Speaker 4: We're in the Boy Who Cried Wolf territory. Wal, I'm like, show me an open wound.
Speaker 1: I don't care. He's like chilling sand.
Speaker 2: But I also love the point that people said the first or the second whatever, the famous one was where It's like if that motherfucker was shot, he wouldn't have stopped talking about it, like y and where.
Speaker 4: Is his ear? That's where they're all. They're all like ears don't grow back?
Speaker 1: What the fuck? Like they're all all there. I don't know.
Speaker 4: I don't think it's changing in the way anyone is actually doing anything, but they're coming around a little bit.
Speaker 1: Well. And you know why I have this beer, Cara.
Speaker 2: I also like to say, is because last night, while I was watching Twilight for our Patreon I bought I got some shrimp and schiladas and picked up a couple of beers at the bodega.
Speaker 1: Why sorry, somebody came and I don't did you know that? Ris?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: But the face you made was when I said enchiladas and I was like, what the fuck are you trying?
Speaker 1: Like what? Sorry? I was like, no one ever face times me.
Speaker 4: And it was also a person not no one ever faces me, but it was a person I don't know face timing me, and I was like what sorry? And I'm also on airplane. How come you can FaceTime me on airplane?
Speaker 2: Because it's I message I I'm not focused now, I'm on focused now.
Speaker 4: I would never make a face about an enchilada. I love it so.
Speaker 2: Wait oh I'll shout it out, piqitos, thank you for giving me a taste of la like I it's like la perfect Mexican style, like what I love at Amigos and Pasadena.
Speaker 1: It's like so good and it's fifteen.
Speaker 2: I spent fifteen dollars on rice, beans, shrimp and shiladas. Ooh okay, in this economy, that's pretty good.
Speaker 1: Go get it again. That is nothing we talk about in our intros is sponsored. This is just shit. We like no, but we were talking about languait language talking yeah, like like rude things, like the rudest things you can say.
Speaker 2: Oh, just I was just I was just gonna say language is crazy. So then I learned, like work, I know words and then I'll say a word and she goes, that's mean, that's not angry, you know, like shit like that or like you wouldn't say like there's just so many details and because I am fluent in a certain sense, but it's like it's so not it's really like been really interesting or like you know we think about that. There's just we're like some words of mean tons of things. Or I was like, I hope you have a good time. She goes, we would never say that in Russian, you know, like yeah.
Speaker 1: Or clearly or that.
Speaker 2: She's like, no, clear that clearly in this context is this not this?
Speaker 1: And you're like what the fuck?
Speaker 2: And I still fuck up walking and driving like I'll be like oh, I like and she's like you did not walk to the airport, and I'm like fuck.
Speaker 1: It's like these little things and it is so interesting.
Speaker 2: It's interesting, And do you think if you made those mistakes talking to your parents?
Speaker 1: Your parents just kind of like let it go. Of course, of course.
Speaker 2: They don't give a fuck, and like they've also been in America, so they know English words, so I could do whatever. But I kind of confronted them because it's like I say, padilla Nick, that's like duvet cover, but it's put to Nick, and so I was like, what the fuck?
Speaker 1: Why didn't you ever tell me that it was that? But why would they care?
Speaker 2: And then my mom also, well she makes everything about her and she's a victim, and so she's like we're just we're illiterate.
Speaker 1: We're back at Russian.
Speaker 2: I go, you're not bad at Russian, Like you're eighty you're just like disconnected from the culture.
Speaker 1: But she's like, we didn't do it right.
Speaker 2: You know, we're just not as smart, like we're not the and it's so she does that, so like I can't.
Speaker 1: They left a long time ago too, you know it's amazing and you know, yeah, like they've been here, so yeah, they just or like I told you, like the word for like I smell or like I smell something is different.
Speaker 2: But then I talked to this Russian comic and she's like that teacher's being like too particular. I'm like, well, that is why I'm paying her. Yeah, at the end of the day, that is the goal. Like yeah, it's yeah. Language is I mean, it's fascinating. I really like love it.
Speaker 4: Like I was at a dinner one time with all these people in Italy and this guy that I was like hooking up with, he thought he thought he was so cool, and he just told me he said something like he said, that color that you're wearing goes portas Viga and I go what And I didn't know what that meant because it's this like idiomatic expression that basically means the color you're wearing it like a Jinx color, like it's a it's like a bad luck color. It was like magenta or something. I was wearing some you know, and I'm like at a dinner. I like, I'm trying to look cute. I'm hopefully gonna hook up with this guy later. And he's like, the color you're wearing is But I don't understand what he's talking about, because like, I don't have bad luck color. So I was like, what are you? And then I just got pissed and was just like fuck you because I thought he was saying it was like an ugly color. And he was like, no, no, it's a bad luck color. But he's only telling me an Italian. I was like, newer, I didn't. My language wasn't as good.
Speaker 1: Daddy, you know that would penetrate me.
Speaker 2: I knew I would know exactly and I would take I would, I would, I would rectify remedy because you know, in my family, we don't do yellow.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, so we do have some bad luck. Yeah. It was like a purply I think it was like a purply like.
Speaker 2: Magenta type color. Can't wear, not supposed to wear it. But also this is just a personal lesson, but I'll talk about it. But like, you know, if I spent five weeks in New York, and I've been really at him about not over like taking like living like a regular girl. So like I've had like two three nights off of stand up a week or maybe just one show. You know, we're always pot we're always doing something like an audition here there, but I've been really strict about it. And then of course my younger self starts feeling guilt of like why'd you take two days off? And then yesterday I did two new joke nights, Like I did a new joke night at bar night and I had like five new jokes.
Speaker 1: And I was like, oh, yeah, like.
Speaker 2: This idea of like running ragged always always, or like what work is or isn't is like so skewed in our brains because I was feeling guilty. And then actually that time away was awesome and I got so many compliments and they were all jokes I did for the first time, and I was like, oh my god, cool.
Speaker 1: Rest is important.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I just liked having a not physical, like a tangible evidence that my time reading wasn't wasted, or like my time staying it or whatever was not wasted. Since now I have like four or five new jokes I'm excited about. Yeah, and all that's not.
Speaker 4: Daying is where you're coming is the life you're living to come up with jokes about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you know, it's just like the guilt always is.
Speaker 2: I just always feel like I'm not working hard enough constantly all the time.
Speaker 1: So it's nice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was just a nice It was nice to have this moment of like, no, trust your instincts.
Speaker 1: Do you give yourself some grace doing everything right? Yeah?
Speaker 2: And that I'm lucky enough to take time away. Yeah, because yeah whatever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we're done.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 2: I feel so Yeah, I know that you can bring something up to and I'm glad to see.
Speaker 4: I'm going to see Doubleware's Prada tomorrow night, tomorrow night, opening night.
Speaker 1: I'm so excited, dude.
Speaker 2: I don't think I'm going to be able to watch it until like I won't be able to watch it till week two.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, arch Unford, it'll still be out, I mean.
Speaker 2: Oh, yeah'll be But are the purse popcorn buckets still going to be in stock? Oh that's the question, that is the question. Well, I also don't like being around people, so I'm fine I'm gonna go alone at like eleven thirty am on a Tuesday.
Speaker 4: When you buy the seats on some AMC seats, like when the seat is taken, it turns into a little red high heel on the app.
Speaker 2: Dude, God, I don't want to say this, but I love a great marketing campaign.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I was just talking to my friend who has like a she we have we have kids the same age, Rosie, but then she has an older daughter who's like nineteen, and she was saying kind of like your niece's experience with the original Double Wars Brada.
Speaker 1: Like she was like, my daughter didn't like it. I go, yeah, I go. Some kids are like some of the gen zs are like this doesn't feel good and it's it's like, shut up, it's great. Yeah it's but it doesn't.
Speaker 4: It's not actually unrelated to what you were just talking about. Like you train yourself to think that you're not that you have to be working, working, working, I like always trade myself to think that, like, yeah, your boss is supposed to treat you like a piece of shit, like you're supposed to do that.
Speaker 1: That's how you get better, That's how you get good. You have to go through all these hard.
Speaker 4: Knock and it's like it's actually like okay for your boss to treat you like a human being and like being nice girl.
Speaker 2: I yeah, that's why it took such a long pause. We I mean, I'm glad I wasn't in an elder time, but like we did grow up in a really toxic time. And yeah, I'm glad that the youth today are disturbed by the things that we valued.
Speaker 1: That is good.
Speaker 4: I already think I don't eat anything all day, and then when I feel like I'm about to pass out, I eat.
Speaker 1: A cube of cheese.
Speaker 4: I like think about that line all the time. We just put that out in a movie and.
Speaker 1: We're like, that's the way to lose weight. I know. But like I just missed cheese cubes.
Speaker 2: They don't they don't sell them as pot They're not as popular as shape.
Speaker 1: Those craft cheese cubes are so fucking good. They were better than the other cheese like I loved. They make you do work. You gotta buy your own brick and cut your own cubes. And you know I'm not doing that. I'm not washing a night. I cut myself cheese cubes last night.
Speaker 4: Maybe while I was watching Twilight.
Speaker 1: I was eating little cheese cubes on crackers and.
Speaker 2: I was having chiladas. Honey, I was, I mean, I can't wait. I mean I loved Twilight.
Speaker 1: You loved it? Oh my.
Speaker 2: I started the second one. I just had to go read because you know, I'm in a new set of Hockey Gay. I found a new series of Hockey Gay.
Speaker 4: So actually we didn't mean for this to turn into an ad for our Patreon, but this coming Thursday, our episode is Lisa and I breaking our Twilight, you know, virginity and watching the movie for the first time.
Speaker 2: Okay, maybe I won't have to say Okay, I'm gonna change it from my levet to like, I get why it had the impact it did. Like I went back from that time and I feel that when they were trying on prom dresses, Like to me, I was like, no, wonder this hit for people and it meant a lot, like it just made sense to me.
Speaker 1: For more for more.
Speaker 4: Discos Patreon dot com slash that's messed up.
Speaker 1: No, I'm a little corny, you know, Yeah, no, I am. I'm fascinating.
Speaker 4: As I was watching it, I was thinking, what is Lisa going to think about this? And I really didn't know, but I have thoughts. You can hear them on our Patreon. Also, that's messed Up live dot com.
Speaker 2: You can go to that has all the links to Lisa's tour dates, merch promo codes, all the infos there.
Speaker 1: And let's get start arted.
Speaker 3: We have.
Speaker 1: A great show. It's a good episode.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, we're doing constricted love that.
Speaker 1: Love a b Constrictor.
Speaker 2: Wait, what's the isn't there like a kid's book the Boa Constrictor and it ate the whole class and then all their little body shapes are in the Boa Constrictor?
Speaker 1: Is that? Is that a memory for you guys? The day Jimmy's Boa ate the wash, No, Jimmy's Boa, there's like a whole Jimmy's Boa thing.
Speaker 2: I've been eaten by a Boa constrictor. I think a shell Silverstein poem. It's shell silver Stein. It's shell Boa constrictor sung by shell silver Steam. I'm being my bowl constrictor, a boat construct. I'm being by a boa constrictor. Oh yeah, what do you know? It's nibbling my toe. Oh gee, it's up to my knee. Yeah cool, yeah, that's familiar. Okay, fun, fun, fun, okay, but we're here no Boa constrictors. But so basically, a mom's like, Hannah, you didn't eat your bacon, and the teenagers like, ugh, mom, I'm a pescatarian.
Speaker 1: I told you.
Speaker 2: So the cell phone keeps dinging dinging, dinging, dinging, and the mom's like, dude, your computer keeps dinging. What's going on? The chiming just will not stop. So the mom looks onto the laptop. That's not like what she sees. It's not like a fully appropriate chat. So now we have a boy on the opposite end of the texting and he's pumped, and the dad's like that better be a girl, not a sports book. And that's like cool writing because you understand who this man is immediately.
Speaker 1: And I like ha ha.
Speaker 2: The dad's like into the these texts with this girl named Hannah, and the son is like, we're just friends, and the dad goes peach emoji, that's more than friends, are you too hooking up? So this man definitely cheats on his wife with young women because why would he know the peach emoji?
Speaker 1: Why would he know the peach emoji? So the soun's like, stop it.
Speaker 2: I really like her and it's not like that, and those grease bawls like you remember, women are the buyers, so they have the power of choice. We're the sellers, so what are you gonna do to close the deal?
Speaker 1: And the day? Yet first you're like, oh, the power of choice.
Speaker 2: Grady's teaching consent, and then he's like, how are you gonna seller on your dick?
Speaker 1: Like it's not.
Speaker 2: But it's also like she doesn't have to be sold, like you're disgusting, that's why you have to sell yourself. Yeah, but like it seems like your son has a connection with Hannah. So the dad's like, listen, I'm gonna cancel my first meeting. We can have a man to man talk. So then it cuts back to the girl and she's mad at her mom, like why the fuck do you look at my laptop?
Speaker 1: She didn't do it on purpose, but the mom's hurt.
Speaker 2: She goes, I thought we told each other everything, Like how are you not even gonna tell me you're gonna have sex? I want you to be safe, and the girl says, well, we bought condoms, and the mom goes, well, know that there's more to sex than that. There's emotions. First time, it might not be what you expect. So she's a cool mom and the girl's like, well, I know he's the one, and so obviously, like the mom's probably thinks her daughter's an idiot. But anyways, so then where we're So the question is like, where are you guys doing this? Erica's house. Her parents are out of town in London. So the mom goes, why don't you come here. I'm gonna take her aunt out for dinner, We're gonna go to the movies. You could have the place to yourself, and you know, just don't do anything you don't feel ready for. So now it cuts to Creasy with Jesse and he gets you know, she got a phone, So he's with Jesse. She's I don't know, I like this. We'll see, but a purv is looking at Jesse. Obviously Chrisey didn't like it. Then he turns back and sees the pervert talking to two young girls too, and so then he tells Jesse to stay on a street corner, which is funny to me because it's like, I was like, is Jesse about to get snatched? Like why is Crisy Like he's gonna go protect the He's gonna go protect her by leaving her feet away on Also, getting her a phone when she's nine is probably the worst thing he could do for her as well. Yeah, getting her a phone at nine years old. And he's like, this is Jesse, you can FaceTime your mom. Get an iPad for the house? Like this is that? That's like a nine year old should not have a phone. Sorry, no, well we'll see. I'm angry. So he goes up to the guy. He's like, those girls are underage. She tells him to relax. Creasy demands his ID, and the guy goes, are you a cop? And he goes, what do you think? So you know, he didn't lead the witness. So then Creasy looks at it and is like, keep your eyes to yourself and if you want to keep them in your head, Okay, that's a threat. And so then he smiles back at Jesse and they're like, we're gonna, you know, meet your sister for pizza. So now the girl and the boy are getting virgin pina coladas and the dad gave him booze to spike their drinks.
Speaker 1: So that's upsetting. She says, your dad has good taste.
Speaker 2: Okay, I guess she loves liquor, and he says, and he says, yeah, he's been around. It's just like nothing makes a pina colada taste worse than liquor, you know what I mean, Like a pina colata is a like I just like I love pinicolatas and I want to get drunk, but like for a teen and be like, oh, good taste, Like I don't know, yeah, maybe it's just because as a six old she's probably like had pop off and like maybe the dad gave them like little nips of like gray goose, you know, like maybe it was like better.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I rum um okay. I actually went to a I went to two tiki bars this week.
Speaker 4: So two tiki bars spring has sprung in New York City.
Speaker 1: Geez what what? I can't get named? Two tiki bars in La what? Well? One I didn't realize.
Speaker 3: I go.
Speaker 2: There are a lot it's kind of more divy, and I just get divy drinks. And then I met up friends and they had fancy drinks and they're like, yeah, this is teki.
Speaker 1: They have really good cocktails. And I was like, oh, I didn't know.
Speaker 2: And then they're like, let's go to the next tiki spots kind of like Rainforest cafe and it's like you have to buzz in and they buzz you in and it's walking only and it's like kind of fancy and our table look like a surfboard.
Speaker 1: Whoa, okay, yeah it was.
Speaker 2: It was exciting. So anyways, they enter an apartment. She has a to go bag. I wonder what they got at the teable. Well, also, Commodore is one of my favorite places.
Speaker 1: And it's tiki. Oh it is. Yeah. Oh I didn't know I'd never been there, but I didn't know that about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh yeah, the men it's like I get frozen mohidos there, but yeah, full cocktail tiki.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: So she puts the to go back on the kitchen table and it's just them and he can't believe they have the whole place for themselves, and she leads him to her room and then the close captioning says, soft apprehensive music. So whatever that is in your imagination, that is what's happening.
Speaker 1: And then it's like.
Speaker 2: It kind of sounds after school special, but also that a crime is gonna happen. They start kissing. It's pretty chill. Oh no, we're in the hospital. So the mom came home and her daughter was in the bed vomiting, not good fucking bruises on the neck, and the mom is panic. She's questioning everything, and this is so sad because it's also like, bro, this is your friend and you like her and you left her vomiting and choked out, like what the fuck? Yeah, there's this whole episode, you know, it's like like we we put me know mean, and it's like you fucking just left her.
Speaker 1: There, like yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, it's it's really because the whole show they act like nothing really happened.
Speaker 2: And it's like, this is you all suck so much whatever. The mom is panics. The credits are rolling and we're back. So Finn, Benson, Creasy are chatting in a walk and talk. Benson asks about Rolin's new gig and so she's the sergeant in the Intelligence Division and she's traveling a lot, and Finn's like, Crisy, make sure you let her know how proud I am of her. And it's like, I don't understand how someone can be like a gambling attic, lying stealing guns from evidence. All I guess I can. We know how cops work, but like, never mind, it all makes sense. So she uh, okay, back back to this. So Finn walks off, Crisy and Benson chat and he needs some parenting advice. They go to her office and he goes, who decided yoga pants and crop tops are I think girls should be wearing? And Benson says that would be girls. I love that. So he brings up the Peto situation and wants to know what Rollin said. But she's in Texas at an NYPD Border Patrol.
Speaker 1: Meet and greet. What that's what it said? I rewound it twice? What the fuck?
Speaker 2: So Captain Renee Curry comes in and she has info about the crime. So it's a sixteen year old and so Benson and Curry had immediately to Mercy Hospital and the mom is explaining the virginity thing and Curry is being judgy as fuck, like you allowed. Then she goes, well, my first time was in a Hundai Elantra, so that's what I'd like to do.
Speaker 4: So she you know, like at first, when I was watching the episode, I was like, oh my god, she's just gonna like let the kids have the house.
Speaker 1: And then when she said the thing about the hunter, lunch. I was like, you're right, like let him have it, like have the house for like a nice experience that's not like hidden and gross and yuugh you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, she wanted her daughter's experience to be special. But when she came home, she was passed out, dizzy and puking with a concussion, and yeah, what the fuck Hannah's clay. She doesn't remember anything, but the mom doesn't know what to believe, like maybe she's trying to protect someone in the system. Little alcohol, no drugs, but the bruising on the neck is fucked. And Benson's like, well, what do you know about Ryan? She goes, they've been friends since grade school. They just became a couple. They genuinely seemed to like each other. And the mom allows the detectives to go talk to Hannah without the mom, and Hannah says it was all planned out. It was going to be special and it was both their ideas. They asked if she remembers the sex, and she says, no, not really. Am I in trouble And Benson goes, no, no, no, but like you got hurt, so your mom is worried. She talks about making out on the bed after dinner. Then she falls out of bed and Ryan was there and he told her that she blacked out. She told him to go home, and she got into bed and went to sleep. Oh okay, so she told him to go to home.
Speaker 1: Damn.
Speaker 2: So Benson's like, well, what happened to your Next she goes, I don't know, buzzed a little rolling around, and it's like it truly looks like it's not that. Yeah, she goes, it was fun at first, but then I don't remember, and Curry says, or you don't want to say. She's like, I just don't want Ryan to be blamed, and Benson goes, it's not about blame or anything. We just want to make sure you're okay and figure out what happened. But you can rest and we'll just come back later. So Curry is fuming outside they're walking and she's like, I can't believe the mom allowed sex in the house when she wasn't home, and Benson's like and she goes, well, yeah, the mom obviously didn't know how fucked up it could get. And Curry's like, sex is messy even for adults, let alone kids, and Benson goes, oh, so speaking from experience, and she goes, yeah, I found a condom wrapper under my son's mattress. And Benson's like, okay, so you didn't know.
Speaker 1: Is that better?
Speaker 2: And she says no. So Benson's really has a lot of wisdom this episode. Hmmm, we're back in fully forgot Curry had a kid. I don't, I haven't. I refused to learn anyone new except for Bruno. That's that's how I feel. That's how I feel with the games that they've been playing with us, bring him in, taking them out. I don't need it, can't get can't get too comfortable with somebody have nipped away from you. No, So the doc explaining to the detectives that this girl is lucky that there wasn't a brain bleed and her memory is spotty and the neck bruise is obviously from hands like and from behind. Likely they haven't done a rape kit though, so we got to see if Hannah Kit will agree to one. And Velaska's with the slimeball dad and he knows Hannah and calls her suite. He knows about his son and her and is confused what any of this is about. Silva is with the mom. You know they they split it up, and the mom knows they were on a date, and Silva's like, did you know their plans? And according to her credit card bill, they went to a lobster restaurant in Times Square, So okay, okay, I guess the lobster restaurant.
Speaker 1: Kind of pinicolatas. But everything is just like really confusing to me.
Speaker 2: So it cuts back to the men and he's like, what, I guess their teens they don't know where to go.
Speaker 1: I went to Hula Hans I think before homecoming.
Speaker 2: So he's like, what is this and Velaska's like, well, she passed out and is in the hospital. And he's like, and my son. And they're like, yeah, well we need to talk to your son. And he walks in. He's super confused she and he goes, well, Hannah wasn't at school and I've called her like ten times. He looks sad and guilty, and they're like, well, what was she like when you left? And he said that she fell out of the bed but said she was fine. The dad says, go to your room, No way, we're talking to you without an attorney. Dramatic music, So the detectives are outside Silva's like, well, he does actually seem worried about Hannah, and the parents are like kind of the issue and maybe they're just a little overprotective, Like I wonder what's happening, But in my head, I go or their son did something because the dad knows exactly what he did. Okay, So back at the precinct, CARIESI and Benson are chatting and Hannah is home. There was no semen but condom lube evidence and like she didn't give we don't know about the consent of everything, but she does have works on her neck. So the you know, the detectives are debating.
Speaker 1: Is it a crime? Is it not?
Speaker 2: Like what's happening bruising? Consent? What's a concussion? What can she recall? Is she protecting Ryan? And Cariese's like fuck all this and like let's we need we need more, we need more.
Speaker 1: So she doesn't really want to talk to them.
Speaker 2: The mom's like, listen, you were concussed and bruised, so we're going to be here and we're going to talk. And Benson goes, this sucks for sure, but you're a minor and we just like need some questions answered. She says she wasn't raped, and the sex was fun at first, but she says it's a blur and she goes, okay, so what do you recall?
Speaker 1: Clearly, that's what they ask her because I keep saying she but there's four women in the scene. Okay.
Speaker 2: So they were kissing. He took off his clothes and her clothes and she was fine. She was nervous. It was awkward but fine, and Benson's like, that's totally understandable. And she goes, and this is awkward too, you know, like and we understand that, but just tell us what happened.
Speaker 1: It is okay.
Speaker 2: So Hannah's like, well, my friends who have done it said that guys like when you act like the videos that they watch. So she goes, at first it was face to face, but then he wanted to try something, and she's like really sad and embarrassed, and the mom is like very caring and leaning it, but you know, it's weird. But he turned her over and then held her neck and so then his hands were around her neck and she wanted to say, you're hurting me, stop, but she she she either thinks he didn't hear or and she also said it was hard to talk while being strangled and then I all being yoked essentially like from behind. Like that's like, yeah, so I actually just saw this online where it's like we call it choking, but it's strangulation.
Speaker 1: Choking is when it's internal. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So even the language we use is like what we do always do with like kind of violence against women and stuff, where it's like it's blameless.
Speaker 1: You know, it's like a woman was found dead. It's never like, you know, man murdered. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I'm just like curious how that became it because if it was called oh, you're strangling during sex, I don't think it would. Well we'll talk about it a little bit, have the marketing, Oh we will. But I so I made a point to I make a point. That's like my new thing. I want to be able to. I want to call people out and correct people. Like people say fucked kids, and I'd be like, you actually can't fuck a kid, you fucking get it.
Speaker 1: So next time someone goes she was choked, I'll be like, well, she was having sex with her teacher. Like no, she was being raped by her teacher. Yeah, so that's something.
Speaker 2: So yeah, he's like strangling her from behind, and it's their first time.
Speaker 1: Like I don't like the dad.
Speaker 2: You know, we know where this is going, but like I just don't know in what world you have to like get choked from behind at your first time? I know, Like it just makes it's just such weird advice. It's just such a strange point of view to have.
Speaker 4: Yeah, or like a girl that hasn't had sex before is going to need you to like rock her world so fucking hard the first time or what she's gonna be. Like you're bad at this, Like you're both bad at it right, like you've never done it. Yeah, Like the way that this dad like told his kid, like you got to sell yourself, it's like not really none, nobody knows what they're even buying right now, you know.
Speaker 1: Into it, Like the dad ruined everything.
Speaker 2: This could have been so good And it's like kids, but it's also and this is the same thing where it's like all about that, like his first time, his first time is like there's another person involved, Yeah, And that's like when we talk about like it's it's so cultural. It's like rape culture goes so deep where it's like how do you even view sex? It's like whenever the asson sorry article comes up where it's like it's not a crime. It's like no one's saying it's a crime, like yeah, that, but it's just this idea of like the other person is irrelevant to this experience and like that is strange, like for the dad, like you ruined her fucking like first time. It just this pisses me off, obviously. So she was on the floor and Ryan said she hit her head on the nightstand, but she doesn't remember that either. So then Curry takes her to go get a soda and the mom goes so she assaults it and Benson goes, this is complicated, and the mom goes, I thought Ryan was a good kid.
Speaker 1: Did I misjudge him?
Speaker 2: And Benson goes, if she wanted him to stop and he didn't, it is a crime, and the mom obviously blames herself. So then the most important thing is to take care of Hannah, and Benson in the Ada will talk to Ryan. So Cariese is getting livid, right he's hearing the details. He wants this kid's head, and Finn's like, hold on, shouldn't we just like talk to Ryan, And it's like, well, let's look at the data Finn how often Like I hate when Finn still acts like it's season four, like it really annoys me. But anyway, so he's on his way down. Chrisy goes, oh, I can't wait to hear this. Benson is not into this energy. So he goes, Finn's going in there, you're being weird, and he goes, go, fuck yourself. I can control myself. A lot of people in the room. And it's this new kind of room. It's a window cube with long blinds, window blinds. I don't know, I don't know what to call it by the room. But he didn't hear her say no, But it's like, were you even listening to that? That's like the other one, remember when the girl got assaulted at the party, and like I think it's Barbo's like you didn't ask for conste because you didn't care. Yeah, so it's like, oh, well I didn't hear her say no? Were you listening? And the like again he did rivalry. Sorry, but it's like the explicit concept of like do you want like the constant I didn't hear her say no, but so I choked her, Like it's like infuriating to me. Finn is like, well maybe, and and the dad ruined all of it, like if the dad didn't see the texts, like Finn goes, well, maybe she shouldn't.
Speaker 1: She couldn't talk.
Speaker 2: So Finn brings that up and he goes maybe he says, we were trying, you know, and he says, so, okay, whatever, So they are doing doggy style. The mom pushes her hair back behind her ears. She didn't like this conversation, and he says I was just holding her and Cariese shows the photos of the marks, which are aggressive, and the mom says he would never hurt Hannah, and it's like, well these photos do say otherwise, like she was in the hospital. So I don't know what you're saying actually, So Finn says, let's focus on what he has to say, and he says he saw.
Speaker 1: It online, and the lawyer.
Speaker 2: Encourages him to say the truth or they're like where, like who showed you whatever? He says sorry, and Cariese goes move on, like where did you learn to choke during sex? And so he says the fencing team showed him you know the Yeah, okay, so notoriously hot notoriously we actually don't, but we actually don't know about fencing, Like are they so hot? Like, we don't know anything about fencing. It could be the bad boys of prep school.
Speaker 1: You know, they could be. It could be we really have no idea on guard.
Speaker 2: So he says some of the okay, so the older guys and said that the girls liked it. And it's like, again, why don't you just ask this girl? Why are you listening to these guys. Yeah, greaseball Dad's kicking a.
Speaker 1: Vending machine, and I went, there's no way he would not be in the room. And then later he does say, my wife told me I couldn't be Yeah. Yeah, So like I do love that we're all connected as the universe. So greaseball Dad is kicking the vending machine. Okay, So he's banging around.
Speaker 2: Silvin Velasco talk about him, and they're like, you know, men like that don't like to feel helpless. He's obviously like their house was nice, you know, he's like a rich, authoritative business type of guy. So Velasco goes in there to like play some games and they bond over the tricky vending machines. This is when he talks about his wife not letting him be in the room, and then the dad says, whatever the sun did wasn't his fault. He is a good kid. He doesn't to reserve to have his life ruin, but she can have her life ruined, so she can go to the hospital and have marks around her neck and have her sexual experience ruined, but don't ruin her his son's life again, he goes, whatever their teens, it's their first time, so he goes, sex is hard to figure out. We don't have to go further down this road. And now he brings up fundraisers for the NYPD. How he supports cops. He likes to He likes to support cops and not defund them. That's what he says. And his firm and he goes, yeah, do you have any recommendations for where my firm should donate, and Velasco leans in and says, I don't get what you're saying. And he goes, you, uh, you know, like where do you want the money? Like I could give it to poor kids, or maybe there's something you're personally invested in, and Alasko goes, that's not how it works, babe. So then Finn walks out or you know, back in that area and the lawyer, and Ryan told us his side and it's not enough to rest anyone yet. So then the dad's like, how are things and the son goes, Hannah won't even text me back, and the dad asks if it's over, and Crisey goes, we'll be in touch, and like, because I wonder if the dad when he was asking, even cared about the Hannah, Like I don't even think he's he doesn't think about you know, like I bet he was a coward things and like this boy does.
Speaker 1: I don't know. It's like all pretty upsetting.
Speaker 2: So Ryan didn't confess to anything, but he admitted to the strangulation, and Finn is like, well he didn't hear no and didn't know she was unconscious, and it's like, but that's strange, Like to keep fucking an unconscious person is rape.
Speaker 1: It's like you're you've raised a rapist.
Speaker 2: This isn't like some accident, like they keep acting like it's an accident, but like the thing he did is weird and fucked whether his dad and friends encouraged him or not, And then Criesy says, well maybe jew like it'll be juvie, not like full jail whatever. So now Silva comes in another choking of a teen girl. Okay, So then Caresi joins her of Alasko and they're mount in the scene with like uniform cops. And then the two boys attempted to rape a twelve year old girl named Eliza Quinn. So then while she was trying to run away, she ran into the West Side Highway, got hit by a cab. She's in terrible shape and so yeah, so another girl told the detectives about the assault, cribs, I'm really scared to run onto the West Side Highway.
Speaker 1: Yeah it's a highway. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So she's in a cute pink outfit like the witness and I like it. So she says that the two boys were high and started messing with Eliza, trying to kiss her.
Speaker 1: Then it got worse.
Speaker 2: They pulled up her skirt and grabbed her hands on her neck. She ran to get away. Caresi is spiraling. So Benson meets Kurry at the hospital and it's like, what the fuck? Another teen choking crime. The girls in surgery, the two thirteen year old boys are in interrogation, and it's boy mom time. So it's dark as fuck, and a girl so the girl's in surgery. It's like and so the mom goes, it's a midnight. He has school tomorrow morning, and Silva goes, oh, she's not going to school.
Speaker 1: He's not going to school.
Speaker 2: And the boy swears he didn't do it, and Velasco goes, well, we have a witness and we're also talking to her friend Andrew, so what's going on. He goes, we were just fooling around, and Silva goes, you choked her. So the mom is like whoa, whoa, whoa. So the girl ring into the highway like who gives a shit, and Vlaska's like, well she might not survive, you fucking idiot. And then the mom is like, you motherfucker. You tell them everything. So now the mom realizes like that it is connected and her son might not be a good boy. He goes, I didn't do anything, and it's like, well, did you not do anything or were you just fooling around because it seems like you're lying, and how is pulling up someone's skirt and choking them nothing?
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: He finally admits it, but Andrew told him girls like that sort of thing. So then this other kid goes Eliza started flirting with us, and I'm Finn and creasy looks scary. If I was like a teen sex criminal, I'd be very nervous. And the dad is pissed and the kid does say The kid says sorry, and Finn goes, sorry you tried to rape her, or sorry you got caught. And then the dad's like, whoa, whoa, whoa, he's only thirteen, and Chrisy goes, yeah, so is the girl. The girl's twelve and she might die. And he goes, well, it's not our fault, it's not his fault. And he goes, well, whose falt is it? And so then he goes, well, someone showed it to us a few days ago. Finn goes, you watched porn. He says his cousin Ryan. So his cousin is Ryan, So his cousin showed him the choking video.
Speaker 4: This is like one of the craziest things this show has ever done. Within twenty four hours, two cousins are choking girls out and too bad to like tragic effect come.
Speaker 5: On, like.
Speaker 2: It's yeah, but I hear what I see what they're trying to do. Yeah, So they say the dad showed in the video and then whatever, So now the cousins didn't know that, like the cousins in trouble.
Speaker 1: No, these cousins are a mess.
Speaker 2: So then Criese's like, fuck, I want to go after the dad, Like the dad is the reason all of this is happening. So then the father showed encouraged choke porn and that's endangering the welfare of a child, Like you can't be showing children porn. So then Velasco goes to hang outside Ryan's school with Silva to like break rules right and again he's like, so sad Hannah won't talk to him. You know, he broke up with it. She broke she broke up with him. Duh, you strangled her unconscious. She doesn't want to date you. So like they diminished, We've diminished sex crime so much that he's like, what do you mean she don't meet? Like she ended up in the hospital, like fucking loser. They ask about Eliza Quinn because they're not here for dating updates, and he heard about the cab, but not about the cousin assaulting him. They bring up the choking porn he again and says it's the fencing guys, And he says, my dad.
Speaker 1: Wouldn't do that.
Speaker 2: He just gave me pointers, and Silva says, if I was you, I'd get a new coach.
Speaker 1: Nice.
Speaker 2: So the nephew still is like, it's Ryan's dad. It's Ryan's dad, and Chrisy goes, I don't care. It's enough for a warrant. I'ng of a fuck. So they show up cop lights flashing, and the mom goes, ough.
Speaker 1: You guys are annoying, please leave, and they go we have.
Speaker 2: A warrant for searching and for arresting, so get out of our way.
Speaker 1: The dad calls him insane. The dad says, I swear it and do anything.
Speaker 2: The dad lifts his arms to shut up his son who's about to talk, and he tells his wife to call a lawyer and meet at the precinct. So we're at cement room bars and he's like, I was just trying to be a good father and give advice about sex for the first time. So it's like a girl needs to be strangled for her first time. I don't understand how that's the advice, Like, I just don't. I don't understand this man, Like even if you're into choking, like I just like Finn is grossed out.
Speaker 1: So he's like, you showed him porn? And then.
Speaker 2: The skuy zach Orth he's one of my favorite VEEP moments, and he's playing the lawyer and he's in a season two episode called Consent, but he's what hot American Summer. But he's in one of my favorite VIEP moments of all time where where.
Speaker 1: He goes, do you want to drink?
Speaker 2: And then Mike goes, no, I think I have to get home, and he goes what and he goes, no.
Speaker 1: We love to drink, We love that. Whatever. So basically he calls his nephew a liar. Love that.
Speaker 2: But they have not found anything on the hard drive, so that's really hard. And he's not admitting anything. There's no evidence. It's going to be dismissed. Even endangerment is a misdemeanor. So now Benson gets a call not good news, somber music. We know what's happening. We know we know Eliza Quinn's dead. They couldn't save her. Oh, we know the parents want justice and she wants the boys put in jail and punish. But like she's like, I'm not going to see my daughter graduate or get married, and I love that. It's like nineteen sixties. Like so nineteen sixties, just like nothing else. Graduate get married, but it's tragedy. I like, you know, I get it. So they're in so even if punished at eighteen, they will be like they'll they'll be able to be fine. So the parents cry over their dead child's body while Benson and Currie watch. They like, watch this happen, this intimate moment, but Benson goes, no, we're gonna get them fucking justice. So her phone buzzes and it's been and she says, I'll meet you there so and her white manicure looks really nice. So back at Ryan's house, they're like, what the fuck, why are you here? Everything is fine and they go no, someone called with a disturbance call and Ryan says it was me, and the mom is like that girl is dead, and the dad is like, sure, that's sad, but it's not our problem. And the mom says, you are a liar and a cheater, and then Cariese and Ryan are talking and Ryan says, I love Hannah. I didn't know what I was doing was wrong and I did not mean to hurt her. The mom wants the father out of the house and the dad's like, I'm not leaving my fucking house. And so then Cariese's like hoteler, jail bitch. So the mom's crying. She goes, I knew he was a self serving guy. I just didn't realize how much. So she's crying really hard. Ryan goes upstairs. The mom then goes, I knew down. I knew that my husband was lying to me all these years. And he watched porn on a VR headset. So Ryan's dad gave what do a VR headset to his son, which is also fucking up his brain even more, and the worst part, he was willing to let his own son go to prison for him. And Benson's like, well, where's the headsets? So now they're searching in the dumpsters and Velasko's like deep into the trash bins, but like in a fresh white T shirt in the garbage, like and he does look hought if I'm being honest. So then Benson walks into Cariese's office. Okay, there's choking porn on headsets, so we got him. So it's like he weaponized porn and to like turn his son into a man. It's like handing a gun to a kid. That's what we'll charge him on. But it's still child in danger. They can't do like, they can't do anything, so maybe they could trick him. So we're in the marble hallway, we're talking to the dad, and the dads like, fuck you, I did nothing wrong, and Benson goes, you really think your son would have choked the girl he loves the night of their virginity taking away, like you think if you didn't show him that, And he goes, okay, so my son got confused, but that's on him, not me.
Speaker 1: So it's yours fun. It's your son's fault.
Speaker 4: You showed him something super fucked up And we're like, why why didn't he get what that was?
Speaker 1: Like yeah, Cursey's screaming. He hates him.
Speaker 2: So he goes, your son's going to stand before a judge and you're just gonna let that happen. And he goes, you failed as a father and teaching him how to be a man, and he goes, you want to be a real man, take accountability. And then it works. So we're and Corey he's confessing. He goes, I was negligent. I fucked up teaching him how to behave towards women. I showed him a world that demeans women. I failed my wife, I failed my son, and there's no way this guy did such.
Speaker 1: This is literally the tragic.
Speaker 4: See the reason people watch this show is like for moments like this that will never exist in real life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like this was never in a million eire never never. I failed the young women that hurt my whole life. I've just thrown money at problems but didn't realize the main problem was me. Yea is no way no who wrote that He's not going to jail, but he has to go to weekly psychology meetings and assilt prevention classes. Okay, The mom thinks Captain Benson and hopes this helps prevent like issues in the future. She tells Caresy, good job, but he can't wait until Rollins comes back home in four hours. But Benson and Creasy go have some whiskey in his office. I love a desk cocktail. The wife is filing for divorce. Ryan's not speaking to his father. Caresy says, good, he deserves to lose his family. Eliza's parents are going to take him to civil court for wrongful death, so that's good, and they think he'll be fired. Careasey cheers to justice. Benson goes, is that what we got? And he says it's a start, and she answers, sometimes that's the best we can do. And they cheers their warm whiskey and that's dick wolf baby.
Speaker 1: Oh boy, oh boy.
Speaker 4: Okay, So this thank you for that recap. Thank you for that beautiful recap. This episode. It's interesting because I started looking around for like a case that could be based on, and like, there there was a case I found of.
Speaker 2: Like a a of a of a like a very disturbed boy who had actually a lot of abuse against himself who was assaulting a younger girl for like honestly two years because of porn he had been allowed to watch.
Speaker 1: But this is like a little bit.
Speaker 4: More specific, So I'm not even gonna get into that case. Like this isn't just about like, oh, porn leads, this is like choking specific.
Speaker 2: Like there is a lot of research, Yeah, a lot of research and reports started coming out around like two thousand and three, two thousand and four, actually like twenty one, I would.
Speaker 1: Say, and and and.
Speaker 4: Beyond, like uh, of choking being on the rise with everybody, but with young people especially so over the past decade, rough sex behaviors have become obviously increasingly more common and normalized among young people in the US and internationally. The most striking change they've found is with non fatal strangulation aka choking, which they put in quotes maybe because it's more of a it's more of a like vernacular to call it choking, but it is non fatal strangulation, or attempts to be, because some people do accidentally kill their partners with these with this kind of strangulation and accidentally in quotations, please yes, accidentally in quotations, Yes, I mean yes.
Speaker 1: They.
Speaker 4: And this is often non fatal strangulation is depicted a lot in honestly at this point mainstream media and pornography, there is a lot of concern about it being used not only in conceptual in consensual sex, but in violent pornography, and also adolescents will do like choking games, you know, like that's kind of a thing you do, you know when.
Speaker 2: You're so funny, I'm acting so appalled. Me and my friends choked each other out against so well and videotaped and would watch videos.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like at sleepovers. Yeah, so that's like what they're talking about those swim team.
Speaker 2: Girls and I were choking each other out weekly against the walls.
Speaker 1: Ah, yeah, and this has health consequences and can we want but we wanted to pass out, sure, But I don't think you would have wanted brain damage if that had happened, and it can't yea, it didn't want that. Yeah, I was endorsing choking out. I did consent.
Speaker 4: One of the things I read was a doctoral thesis from the Karolinska.
Speaker 1: Instituted in UH.
Speaker 4: Sweden, which was published in February of this year. Actually that found that physical violence in sexual assaults against young people has become more common and more severe. The thesis used interviews and medical exam results to look at how young people experience violence and sexual situations, both consensual and in assault situations. Among young women between the ages of sixteen and twenty nine. In the research, there was a clear increase in severe violence during assaults, and they found that strangulation had become a lot more common. Participants described how social media, friends and pornography influence their perception of what is quote unquote normal in sexual situations. According to the results of this thesis, better procedures are needed within healthcare to identify and deal with strangulation violence, and as always, there needs to be more education about consent in schools, with a focus on communications, boundaries, and power.
Speaker 1: A twenty twenty it's like so basic to be like, yes, sex is about two people, and it's like, I guess that's never been on the curriculum. Yeah, or it could be more, well, we get into it. We'll get into it later.
Speaker 2: But there's like this whole thing where boys are like, no, girls love it, girls like it, And it's like, okay, let's talk about what it looks like when someone loves or likes something, Like it's not them sitting there silent or frozen or unable with their eyes bugging out, you know, like they have to be able to be telling you how how they like it, you know. So A twenty twenty US survey of university students reported that twenty six point five percent of women and six point six percent of men, and twenty two point three percent of transgender and nine binary participants had been choked during their most recent sexual event.
Speaker 1: So that's pretty high numbers.
Speaker 4: A quarter people said the last time they hooked, A quarter of women and almost a quarter of non binary and transgender participants say oh, yeah, the last.
Speaker 1: Time I hooked up, choking was involved.
Speaker 4: So, according to research out of Indiana University, sex involving choking usually isn't discussed ahead of time, does not include a safe word, offers no sense of partnership, and results in no emotional connection or transcendence, is what they say.
Speaker 1: In twenty twenty.
Speaker 4: Four, the UK is actually ahead of us on the on a lot of this. In twenty twenty four, the BBC published an article about how young boys were asking their teachers about choking during sex. Doctor Tamsine Priest was a teacher in Bridge and said some children now felt it was normal, a normal part of sex, and asked if quote unquote unquote a soft squeeze on the neck is okay, And they were asking questions like how can I choke someone safely? She said, quote I've certainly been told by some children that they think that girls really want to be choked, with one saying girls are mad for it. So someone's giving them that information and it's you know, it's probably porn health porn.
Speaker 1: I put a few dollars on that. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Health experts say pornography is the key contributor and that there is no safe way to strangle someone because I mean because some can change their mind halfway through and they can't communicate to you that they don't want it anymore, you know. Doctor Kate Howells, an associate specialist in sexual health, told the BBC she believes instant access to porn for anyone with a phone.
Speaker 1: Is a key factor.
Speaker 4: She says, quote, people are watching it from a very young age, and what I was reading is that in the US and UK at least eleven eleven years old is usually when kids are first exposed to it, and that's the average, so it can be younger or older. Kate Howell says people are watching it from a very young age and for a lot of young people it is their first sexual experience and therefore they're almost looking to porn to learn about sex and what to do to be good at sex.
Speaker 2: If you no one's like telling them it's like fantasy or something, you know what I mean, or that they've acted out, it's like choreographed. You know, of course you're not gonna be good at it. You've never done this before and on limits and like they have safe work, you know what I mean like like well, or you hope you would hope?
Speaker 1: Yes, you hope.
Speaker 2: She continues, If young people are seeing that kind of messaging from pornography, rather than loving or caring respectful messages, then they'll think that that's what they need to do, whether they feel comfortable with it or not. So in twenty twenty five, the UK actually made moves to make porn that depicts choking illegal, and I'm not sure if it actually went through, but Andrea Simon, director of the End Violence against Women Coalition, described this as quote a vital step towards tackling the normalization of violence and online content. She says, quote, there is no such thing as safe strangulation. Women cannot consent to the long term cars cause it can harm, including impaired cognitive functioning and memory. Its widespread portrayal and porn is fueling dangerous behaviors, particularly among young people.
Speaker 1: I watched this webinar.
Speaker 4: There was a like almost two hour robinar that I watched from this guy named Casey Gwynn, who used to be like the city attorney for San Diego and is the founder of Alliance for Hope International, which is like a They do a lot of work with like sexual assaults. And they also had this one a named doctor Debbie Herbenick on the webinar. It was really funny too because at one point this other lady was on the webinar and she was going, can you guys see my PowerPoint? Can you see it now? Like it was literally just a full power point like with all of the people, but most of it was like went really smoothly. And doctor Debbie Herbenick is actually a professor at Indiana University School of Public Health, so I wonder if she's where that earlier information came from. And an internationally recognized sexuality researcher and author of the book Yes Your Kid, What Parents Need to Know about Today's teens and Sex. And she focuses on sexual choking like that's her focus, Like and it.
Speaker 1: Is a thing.
Speaker 2: It's definitely like, what all these numbers are so accurate?
Speaker 4: Yeah, well you also know that like whenever it's like a men's percentage, it's like double it because there a lot of them are probably just fucking lying. But they discuss us how in this webinar, how a lot of young people like are going straight for choking in sexual situations like sometimes it's like hug kiss, choke, like immediately. Doctor Herbenick discusses the health implications such as brain damage, stroke, cardiac arrest, and while it is rare, people have died or been put into a coma from, you know, sexual strangulation, and the average young adult surveyed said that they first heard about sexual choking around eight to fifty about around age fifteen, which again she says that can be a lot younger or older because it's the average. They want information that they're often not getting. And then Yvonne K. Fulbright, who's a PhD and Master of Science and Education, wrote in Psychology Today that schools need to address sexual illiteracy, including porn literacy, and an examination of cultural standards and perceive normalcy from all sources of information. This does not mean like that formal sex education in school has to be like a how to of how to have sex in a like well or.
Speaker 1: What if it is? But what if it is?
Speaker 2: It's like, why are we not basing these classes on the needs of the students, Because if they're constantly asking in these numbers and these girls or a constantly are getting choked, it's like who gives a shit?
Speaker 1: What you think or not.
Speaker 2: That's something of these abstinate, like all these idiots. It's like the thing is already happening. Whatever chicken and egg you're doing, it's they're fucking and that's why you need to talk about it. Yeah, you know what I mean, Like I think they're they're basically saying, like we know, like sex said, teachers are not going to sit there and go, here's how you safely choke a partner, you know, like they're no, it's about consent. It's don't choke someone. They're not gonna be able to say yes or no like you. That's like porn isn't real like everything it's.
Speaker 4: It would have been great to teach people about porn, Like I never got that in sex said that to anyone to say, like, by the way, the way that sex happens, even in mainstream movies.
Speaker 1: Is not always accurate. The way that it happens in porn is not accurate.
Speaker 4: Like this is not you need to live up to or learn from, you know, but uh yeah, Doctor Herbinnik in this webinar also goes on to talk about how a lot of young men don't even know that there are legal consequences, which I thought was interesting based on the episode, like when well they didn't know, like they were like, no, but if the girl likes it, because they were talking in the webinar about how like there are there they they talk to some people who were like, oh, yeah, then I would be like choking my partner and I would stop because it looked like they weren't enjoying themselves.
Speaker 1: They'd be like what are you doing?
Speaker 4: Keep going and it's like, Okay, that's communication exactly, And.
Speaker 2: That's where I was want to say, it all just goes back down to like consent and having nonverbal like safe words yeah and all of that.
Speaker 1: Like they're at it's like all of these but how do I know? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, how will I ever know? How do I work this robot? It won't talk back to me? And she was saying yeah that, like yeah, these they were bringing up to these young men that they were interviewing, like yeah, people have gone to jail for accidentally killing their partners during like choke sexual choking, and these like young men like had no idea about that and like did not know that there were like legal consequences. So I just thought in the context of this episode, which I do like SBU is a lot of times always trying to and the man in this episode is an absolute dirt bag, but they are always trying to be like, Well, the parents, it's like giving them a gun, telling them this, it's like giving them a gun or doing this. So if your parent, if if you're gonna either leave them alone with a phone or a computer, then it is kind of like giving them a gun. So they need the education somehow, whether it's in school or through their parents. About I mean, I'm in this group on Facebook called Parenting in a Tech World.
Speaker 1: I don't know if I've talked about it on here before.
Speaker 2: It's huge. It has like sixty six thousand parents in it. And I am learning so fucking much every day in this thing. Like there's shit that people will go Spotify's okay for kids, right, and I go and in my mind, I go, oh, yeah, what's wrong with Spotify.
Speaker 4: There's fucking porn all over Spotify. People make playlists on Spotify where they put their phone numbers in and you can text and you can sext with people. People will write stuff like what about cap cut? Is cap cut okay? And I'm like, yeah, what could be wrong with cap cut. That's just like an editing tool. Nope, there's like chat features and all this shit. There's ways to go into these. It basically takes you to TikTok so that you can copy people's formats and then once you're there, you can see anything you want on TikTok. All of these apps are about making money and none of them are about protecting kids or young people from seeing this shit. So it's very interesting to me when they're like, oh, yeah, kids are seeing porn around eleven, and it's like, I bet it's even fucking younger, Like I think kids are seeing weird shit all the time if you give your kid a phone or an iPad that doesn't have parental controls on it. And in this group, people are constantly like I don't understand, like I have the parental controls set, but XYZ is not working. And it's like, because the kids are smarter than you, they will figure out the ways around the controls, like they just will like and apparently Apple has like the worst parental controls, like I think Droid the androids are better, but like people will be like, I have the phone locked down after midnight? Why does this show my my son on TikTok at one am, and it's like they know.
Speaker 1: What to do.
Speaker 4: They know how to like go on airplane or do this, or get on a different wife or like whatever.
Speaker 1: They can figure it out. Like so it's really scary out there.
Speaker 4: But definitely we have to educate our children about consent and peorn literacy and all of these things. So no actual, no actual like specific crime. But I definitely think this episode was based on like the uptick in this and all these papers and like articles and things being written and interesting that the UK.
Speaker 1: Is planning to try to ban. That was as of twenty twenty five, they were trying to ban pornography that portrays like choking, sexual choking, check sexual strangulation.
Speaker 2: Because it's not about things existing, because if you want to get fucking chokes, you should really get choked. But it's like that there's more to this, right It's yeah, and I guess it's.
Speaker 4: Kind of the only I mean, I'm trying to I'm trying to like rack my brain. I'm like, what's another thing that could accidentally kill someone during sex besides chokes?
Speaker 1: Mostly the airways?
Speaker 4: Yeah, right, it's the airways, Like you're not anything can happen to your butt?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't know if it's an urban legend or not, but it's like someone trying to like masturbate with the broom and then they slipped off the shower and then the broom went through them.
Speaker 1: Oh, I can't imagine that being real.
Speaker 2: No, case can you please look up broom masturbate death.
Speaker 1: I would love to see that. Okay, it's on snopespes. That's what I was gonna say, Casey, what's up.
Speaker 5: From two thousand and three? Did a co ed die pleasuring herself with a broom?
Speaker 1: Claim?
Speaker 5: Let's see a story that I heard that was kind of like a hot dog one was that there was this girl who got drunk at a party. When she went home, she was really horny, so she used the broom to pleasure yourself.
Speaker 1: I guess it doesn't be a wooden broom. I don't see any verifications, but I don't want anyone going that way. But it's out there. The story is out there. Yeah, you didn't like make that up? I didn't, damn well anyway.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, write us in if there what other ways you can immediately die?
Speaker 1: I mean you could, I guess, break your neck. Yeah, I'm trying to think if it, if it, if it could happen, it has happened on the shoe. Yeah, Banana in the butt. He was allergic to bananas.
Speaker 2: Banana in the butt, Yes, yes, yeah, I think if you let things go in your inside of you and forget about them and then maybe they can cause an infection or disease, Like if you do stick a banana and and the remnant stays and then bacteria forms.
Speaker 1: You probably figure out the symptoms before that.
Speaker 4: But but again, a lot of that is like being done by you'r. It's like being done you're by you, you know. Yeah, and this is interesting. Yeah, I mean I assumed that, like with the rise of pornography, that like sexual violence, slapping, you know, that kind of stuff like would be spanking, would be more prevalent. But it's interesting that, like the choking specifically, and that that SPU kind of like jumped on this episode.
Speaker 1: It was interesting to like do a little bit of research on it.
Speaker 2: But uh, yeah, everyone be careful out there, be careful out there.
Speaker 1: Let's move on to our guests. Huh. I'm so excited.
Speaker 4: Our guest today is an actor who you may know from Excuse Me, The Wet American Summer Universe, the movie, the TV show. He's also had roles on VEEP and Revolution, but you know him today as defense attorney Harry Kagan. Please enjoy our chat with the delightful Zach Orth. Hi, Zach, We're really excited.
Speaker 6: Thank you same here. Thanks for having me.
Speaker 4: Obviously want to talk to you about your Law and Order Universe appearances, but also other fans of their work.
Speaker 1: Yes, oh, well, you're in.
Speaker 2: One of my favorite scenes in VEEP and I quote it all the time. It's like you and Mike and you guys are You're like, should we drink? And he's like, oh, I can't. And then it's like, can you imagine we love to drink.
Speaker 6: I have to go home and see my family or something like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, can you imagine?
Speaker 6: I mean, I like, do you imagine?
Speaker 2: I quote it all the time. It's really outstanding. What was your time on VIEP like that? It was amazing, Like, you know, i'd loved the show. I think that when they were getting ready to start making it, I think I I auditioned for every single role and uh, but obviously didn't get it. And then I don't know, I don't remember how far along they were into it. It was like season four or something like that. I think it was the last season that they were in Baltimore. And I was I was just I was delighted. I was over the moon.
Speaker 6: And it was everything I would have hoped it was, you know, like a lot of really really funny people like you know, operating at full capacity and and very you know, collaborative, and and it was. It was tremendous. It was great.
Speaker 1: A lot of crab did what did you eat a lot of crab while you.
Speaker 6: Were there in in in Marrit Is that part of your memory or I don't remember. I don't remember doing that. I mean I know I I did. I did go to an Orioles game.
Speaker 1: On the water, Yes, yes, yeah, Okay, Cara would know. I was just, I was just.
Speaker 4: All I was going to say was that, like the like, I just need to rewatch it. I feel like there's no way I got every single joke was always on in the background for me. Well, there's a lot of different things on, but that is one of them. Yeah, So we wanted to talk to you about obviously your SVU. I mean, the episode that we're covering today is constricted where you're playing.
Speaker 1: And you're going to come back right. You feel like I.
Speaker 6: Have no idea. They don't tell They don't tell me at least.
Speaker 2: Because I can't believe you're the same, you're this lawyer and original recipe as well.
Speaker 6: Yes, yes, that's that's that's what.
Speaker 1: We called the regular law and Order.
Speaker 6: Sorry, the Mothership.
Speaker 1: The yeah, the mother Show.
Speaker 6: That's where that's where it started. I think in season twenty two that they know I had been on. I had been in like season five or something, and then and then I was they called out of nowhere and were like, Uh, you're going to play a one of the attorneys. I was like, Oh, that's awesome. That's feels like it feels like a real you know, milestone, you know, for like an actor in New York. And but I didn't think, you know, that it was going to be like anything to do with like being in the roster, like the rotation of lawyers or whatever. That didn't occur to me, I don't think until later on.
Speaker 2: And you're kind you kind of seem expensive. You think, yeah, because the dad's like a sad dad in this one, is a big I feel like you're not a cheap lawyer. Who do you do you remember who you defending? These two episodes of Mothership, are you like, are you going with guys that are innocent or dix?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 6: The first one I believe I'm getting this right because it was season twenty two and twenty three, and one of them was I was defending a member of a cult, like a nexium like cult, who had who had engaged in next see him like behavior like doss behavior. So I don't know. You can make of that what you will. That was defending that person. That was the second one, I think, And then but the first one was uh, A a comedian had been I had got killed on the subway and he happened to be a person of color and the person who killed him was a racist. Oh okay, but that all came out later in the I don't. I don't pitch stories to anybody because he's that bad at it.
Speaker 1: But you defended the killer.
Speaker 2: I defended the killer, Yes, So I wouldn't say anybody any of your defend Your clients have been great people so far.
Speaker 1: Cult leader rast.
Speaker 6: I don't, I don't think so, and and that and that continue.
Speaker 4: He gives his kid choking porn and says, have at it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, no, that that was yeah, yeah, that's really really sleazy.
Speaker 2: It's so and then to keep I mean what hit me was then the mom's like he was gonna let his kid go to prison for him, Like I mean, and like you do one things, how you do everything? But what we were saying, it's such a fantasy that the guy learned a lesson and gave that lovely speech at the end, we're like, no fucking universe.
Speaker 6: Yeah, like weirdly like which weirdly I think is like given like almost directly to camera, Like yeah, it's like it's a very weird. It's like I've learned my lesson and they it's like it was very out of it.
Speaker 4: Like the director like looked at him and goes look into the camera and just talk to every woman who just wants to hear this from right hand.
Speaker 1: Because I only cared about money, I only cared about myself.
Speaker 2: I'm an assholes that to mean women. Yeah, the words. I was like in my head, there's no way, there's no way he wrote it. I feel like you must have written it, like your character, right, your first sess view is wild though the.
Speaker 1: Yes yes, which did you Maloney?
Speaker 2: Like did you know Maloney for what hot you recognize?
Speaker 6: It was a nice vibe. It was a nice vibe, but it also was was one of through no fault of Maloney's. I don't know what it was, but it it it Immediately while it was happening, I was like, oh, this is not going well. Just one of the days really, and it became it became sort of a a go to story for me, which was just basically I don't know what it was, but it was like the scene where I I think they questioned me twice or they questioned me at least once. They questioned me once in the in the interrogation room, and it like starts with Maloney and and Marishka and and uh and then you know they're like pushing like the scarf that I had left behind or something at me and they're like you you know you you're not telling us the truth. You know, I had my character had slept with a girl that he liked without noing that she had been like roof feed.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we just we just covered this episode and we talked to Tammy Blanche, the actress that plays the victim.
Speaker 6: Oh okay, okay, yeah, so you know this was the scene where like sort of like you're either kind of I'm either kind of admitting you're not admitting that I knew, but like you know that like that like oh my god, I I I this is messed up. Yeah, Like and and for whatever reason, like I knew what I was, what my job was there as an actor, and like just from the jump, my recollection was that like we did the first take and then there was like a chill settled over the room, and then like the director and Maloney and Mariska Hargate like would set up this pattern then of going into a huddle after every take and like talking to each other being like looking over now, like coming over, and then the director would be like, all right, well let's stride again. Let's just ride again.
Speaker 1: Okay, But why wouldn't they give you I.
Speaker 6: Don't remember all you like they may have maybe, but like I just like you sort of shored out in that moment because like you're a guest in their house, and like I was fairly young. I mean I'd been doing this for a while, but like you know, it's not a good feeling and Also, it was weird because it wasn't like I was like, oh my god, they're right, I'm screwing this up. It was sort of like I'm doing it. I don't know, like tell me what you need, tell me what you need. I don't I don't know. But it went on and on and on like this, and I feel like Maloney kind of was sort of also being like come on, buddy, come on buddy, or you know, being encouraging. But it culminated and finally like this was the last time, and they were like, all right, well we're gonna try one more time, and no matter what, we're moving on.
Speaker 1: But with that's like insanity.
Speaker 6: It was very weird, like I'm I'm And so maybe that was part of may yeah, because look what I wrote far offstair, incredible mental trickery.
Speaker 1: They might have been like.
Speaker 2: Wrote like our twiddling of the thumb in the clasps hands. I wonder if that was a choice or direction, but I guess you did it and they hated it.
Speaker 3: I didn't know.
Speaker 6: I think to my distant memory of it is that it had something to do with don't cry, but give us something crying adjacent or something. I don't know what. It got very like technical and picky, the point being that we get to this last one and like they do their last huddle, and like Marishka in my recollection of it was like, let me talk to him. And she came over and she like, you know, grasp me very nicely, sweetly by the shoulders and looked into my eyes and goes, you can do this, and like what And I was like, Okay, thank you. That's very nice. But also I feel so weird right now. None of the rest of it felt like that to my recollection, but that's it was. It was a very like gas lighty weird thing that at least tell me what generated by me and my own.
Speaker 1: I wonder if they were fucking with you to get this performance.
Speaker 6: That never occurred to me, but but until you just brought it up very well could have been. I mean, I'm fine with it. I wasn't like traumatized or anything. I was just like, wow, yeah, yeah, I I've never had an experience before or since where it was sort of the whole day. There was nothing tricky about it. It was just like but they seemed very like.
Speaker 2: God, was that not was that your last scene or then the rest went on swimmingly after.
Speaker 6: I think the rest went on swimmingly. I don't think it was the last thing.
Speaker 4: I wonder if they wanted you to do that thing where you're like a lot of the guest stars do this thing where their eyes.
Speaker 1: Well up but no tears, Paul.
Speaker 6: You know, they could have said it seems.
Speaker 4: Very difficult, but also something you have to specifically asked for.
Speaker 1: But I also was wondering too.
Speaker 2: It's like everybody tells us like, oh, it's a well oiled machine, blah blah blah. I'm sure you felt that by the time you were on season twenty six, but like season two, they were maybe still figuring things out. They had a newer they had a different show runner, though maybe in season one maybe they were.
Speaker 1: But you're not alone.
Speaker 4: Like Kathy Griffin told us and talked about it on her reality show, how she felt like she was bombing.
Speaker 1: Not that that's how you felt, but like she no.
Speaker 2: So she was taping it for My Life on the d List, so she was all fun in games and then the next morning she goes, that was the word, we gotta get down to.
Speaker 1: Work, like she just sam she really she was shit fucked her up.
Speaker 6: Well, I think I think that that you know, it's it's most actors can can relate to the experience of like waiting around to do your to shoot your stuff, and then you shoot it, and then as soon as they wrap and they move on to another setup, like either at that point or on the ride home or as you're trying to go to sleep, you're like, fuck, that was That's what I should have done. Yeah, you know.
Speaker 2: And that's what sucks because we do stand up and like with stand up you can just like do it forever the next day or whatever. It doesn't like there's and then but this is a nightmare. There's just nothing to do.
Speaker 6: It's done. Yeah, yeah, I think I think it. It certainly had the potential to be a nightmare that that situation, and it wasn't. It felt tense to me, but also, like like I said, like I wasn't weirdly for me. I wasn't like they're right, I'm really fucking this up. I was sort of like, I'm doing fine. I just wish we could. I'd like them to be happier with this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's funny because Maloneys have told us that like Marishka will pull them aside and go.
Speaker 1: But I would hate to be encouraged like that to me.
Speaker 2: But not even well, they'll say, we've had people tell us that she says specific stuff.
Speaker 1: Not you can do it, She's great, I want you to really yell at me or whatever.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 1: It was just it wasn't you know, like it wasn't one bit of direction. Did you bring it up when you came back for the newer this? No?
Speaker 6: No, I did not, no way.
Speaker 4: It was so funny you were like, hey, guys, twenty four years ago, you guys.
Speaker 1: Did not give way.
Speaker 2: But the other scene you also you did get to tape outside. Do you remember like taping on the streets of New York? Was that something that.
Speaker 6: Was like I remember, I remember, I remember, I remember meeting Ice uh in the in the van from base camp to one of those uh one of I think one of the location sets, and that being that being just something that was like as it was happening, I was like, I'm going to remember this for the rest of my life because he was just like, hey, Ice, oh, I'm Zach.
Speaker 1: And you got to be on the stand and march.
Speaker 2: Lets you have it, because like there you kind of are like oh fuck, he didn't know.
Speaker 1: And then when she's like, well she had was passed out. There were some signs there was.
Speaker 6: I think I think, right, I think that the realization that like, oh maybe this is not defensible in any way, like I can't really it was came comes in the in the court room.
Speaker 2: Well, because that's what's like cool about this show is it's so ahead of its time in so many ways. But then it's also sad because it's always a conversation and nothing's shifted and this could have been made today.
Speaker 6: Right right right?
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, absolutely absolutely, But how was it on the stand.
Speaker 6: I'm sure you're uh it was. It was I had done I had done another Mothership law and Order, the one that I had done back in ninety five or whatever. Oh yeah, was it was like a witness guy who testified, and so I was like, oh, yeah, okay, I'm I'm I've I've done this before. It's just with different people and uh and it felt but you don't yeah.
Speaker 1: And you still it's still not guilty, wild.
Speaker 6: It's still not guilty.
Speaker 4: We everybody, like, like I I said, everybody's always saying, oh my gosh, well oiled machine Marishka runs the set.
Speaker 1: She's number one, she's so great.
Speaker 4: What do you feel like there's big differences when you go and do an episode of the Mothership, Like what's the vibe there?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 6: Same? I mean it's it's there isn't well, there isn't a Marishka. There isn't there isn't somebody who's been there for thirty seven years. Yeah, but uh uh it's still a thing that mostly uh I think about I guess is that it's newer. Like the just the physical uh plant for the Mothership is newer. It's out in Long Island City or whatever, and it sort of is like a little more updated, like it's still like an old, you know, beat up like sound stage warehouse or whatever. But the law and order of Mothership on Chelsea Piers, like where it is or the SVU one I'm sorry, on Chelsea Piers is where it's been for however long, is so decrepit and weird and like it really is. It really is like they are not spending money on that place really like yeah, well I mean yeah, I mean why would they? They don't have to. You know.
Speaker 4: It's just funny because when as watchers we just seen like the the like you know, the precinct.
Speaker 1: It used to be like stacks of papers.
Speaker 4: And like whatever, and now every desk is like empty with once and like everything digital. It's all looks like it could be literally an AI company, you know. And it's just funny to me because to me, that looks like more money has been like put into stuff.
Speaker 6: But you're like, well, I mean I'm talking about like you know, where we eat lunch and where the dressing rooms and stuff is, like you eat lunch in like it's just a hallway. It's just a like where two hallways intersect and there's like some tables.
Speaker 2: The money's in the show. We always laughtimes. There's like forty five people in a yoga class. For one of them to see a body, I'm like, damn, okay, all you got that.
Speaker 6: Many extra Yeah, yeah, that's true.
Speaker 2: Obviously we would love to talk about wet hot American summer.
Speaker 1: I mean truly my favorite.
Speaker 2: When the shows came back, Like did you guys always think that, like what that must have been exciting?
Speaker 6: Yeah? It was, it was. It was thrilling. It was thrilling, and it was and the first one was like one of the very very first like original content things that any of the streaming I mean, if there were even any streaming things that Netflix certainly had ever done, you know, so it wasn't very clear even what this was that we were doing, or how this was gonna work or like whatever, and but all of that was, you know, was just sort of like who cares, Like we just get to do this, yeah, and and go hang out with each other again. And it was it was you know, however many days I actually worked versus however many I was there. I was on set every day just because it was the most fun place to be.
Speaker 1: Can I ask, like, if we take it back, like how did you get involved with like these State stella, like all these guys I met.
Speaker 6: I first started meeting some of the State guys like early early on. And I remember meeting Tom Lennon at the premiere party of my first job, which was a play at Lincoln Center called Suburbia, and he was there, and I remember meeting him there and his girlfriend at the time, and then maybe through that it was like, Hey, you want to go to there's this party or whatever. And then I think I met Mike Black next, and then some and then somewhere in there Showalter. And then this was around the time that the Stella live shows were going uh huh, and so I started going to those and then hanging out with them afterwards and then doing little you know, utility bits and sketches and stuff for them, like you know, wearing a lab coat and being a mad scientist for a sketch or whatever on stage. And then they started doing the Stella shorts, the videos to play during their shows, and I did it with them. That was that was David Wayne and Mike Black and Mike Showalter. And then and then we did a play. They like, they wrote a play, this ridiculous play that we ended up that we did in New York and then ended up taking to La, which was amazing and that really I feel like that cemented it for me. And then sprinkled in there were like a couple of table reads of Wet Hot I remember at least one of them had I think Dan Castellanetta in the in the role of either Henry or the chef. And so that was going on for like a couple of years, and then and then they were like we're making this, We're making this, and we're shooting this, and.
Speaker 2: Well and the making up documentary was so good because I remember one.
Speaker 1: So it was like raining the whole time or something, right.
Speaker 6: It rained like twenty eight days of the of the thirty days or whatever it was. Yeah, Oh my god, yeah, it rained. It rained the entire time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but why does it look so dry? Am I being a fool? You guys were outside so much.
Speaker 6: No, there are lots of There are lots of moments where you can see like rain, like in a doorway, like coming down outside.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, you know I have to try to see that. Well.
Speaker 2: So Diane Neil, who plays Casey Novack on SVU, she was one of the eighty as for many years.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: She would bring cans of vegetables and leave them out, and I guess Maloney one day lost it and started screaming like, oh that fuck is doing this and she was like it's me, and he goes, oh, you're young, it's fine.
Speaker 1: But she did drive crazy.
Speaker 2: We just name some movies you've been in, and you can tell us what you think, like what comes to mind?
Speaker 6: What movies that I've been in?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll tell you and then you'll tell me.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, yeah, okay. She wasn't saying, can you just name some movies you've been in. We've obvious Romeo and Juliet.
Speaker 6: Yes, that was that was like old school how they how what I was talking about, how like one of the ways that the the industry sort of turned itself out inside out and changed is that like I had a pretty small part in that, but like I was down there for three months, you know, like I was in Mexico for three months, and like you know, had this was like like in a different world and and and like really uh, very different from being like a date player, local hire, which is what everything is now. That that's my recollection is just sort of the grandiosity of the fact that they're like they're hired me, paying me for all this time, and like I'm maybe working like you know, I don't know, eighteen days or something like that, but like, uh, just and I'm in this strange country and and there was all sorts of drama behind the scenes with people being kidnapped and all this crazy shit, and uh but uh, it was it was that was that was tremendous. Should I talk about the kidnapping?
Speaker 1: I mean we taught as a crime podcast.
Speaker 6: Okay, well, I guess I guess that that at the time, it was a real problem in Mexico City with uh, you know, various organizations, you know, just kidnapping people all the time. I guess maybe it still goes on. I don't know. When we were first getting started, everybody was staying in the same hotel, and so word got out fairly quickly that there were a bunch of foreigners, you know, working for a big movie, that we're all staying at this hotel. And so like the unlicensed cabs would start coming to you know intercept, you know, people that are getting cabs or whatever. If anybody said, you know, take me to this hotel and they were, they were just like immediately take them. So like a bunch of people, a bunch of people from the crew were kidnapped on different occasions, some of them injured very badly and held for ransom and all this stuff. And so you know, the production figured it out. I mean, you know, they they said we have to They assigned everybody their own driver. Yeah, nobody was nobody can take cabs anymore. And uh uh so was.
Speaker 1: It like a bunch of people, like in a week everyone got kidnapped, Like how.
Speaker 6: Does everything it went on for about a week.
Speaker 1: Did everyone stay and continue working or did some people leave?
Speaker 6: I think I think I believe one person to my recollection left like was just like yeah, I don't I don't know. Or was was hurt badly enough that they had to leave. Yeah, it was.
Speaker 1: It was terrible.
Speaker 6: It was crazy. Yeah, it was. It was very like you know, it was.
Speaker 2: I definitely thought you were just gonna have some gossip, but this is like wild, yeah, intense. But did you guys trauma bond over it?
Speaker 6: Uh well, we definitely, uh yeah, I mean we're definitely. I remember I remember one of the people came back. He was walking with a cane, you know, and and uh and and looked, you know, terribly beat up. I mean it was. It was scary. It was really really scary. But the solution was just for everybody to be protected at all times. Yeah, you know, only if they could had a driver for the duration of the shoot and they could you know, go out and and uh uh and be safe that way, not get kidnapped by a you know, un licensed cabs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, damn, damn, damn damp because I wanted to be like, wow, so cool, just Mexico hanging.
Speaker 1: But yeah, it was. It was.
Speaker 6: It was cool. It was cool, but it was also you know, that was that was and everybody got sick and you know, but that's I think that's.
Speaker 1: A that's a good that's a good tidbit. So one of my favorite movies is Prime. Oh my god. Yeah, it's like I love that movie so much, amazing. Yeah, and I just what do you got?
Speaker 6: Uh? Well, I remember, I remember, uh, I guess that that when I auditioned for that, and you know, I read the part and they and like the note, they were very like careful to be like, don't be gay, like don't like my character that I was auditioning for was like gay. They're like, don't you know, don't do anything cliche. And I was like, of course, like I won't do that, like just play it straight or whatever, don't play up that. And I was like, okay, fine, like that's thank you, you know. And and so I've gotten to meet Ben Younger and I then he goes, okay, let's let's start and uh and of course I get like two lines into it, he goes, I'm gonna stop you right there, not gay, and then which I was realized eventually that he was just fucking like not so gay and uh uh and yeah, so we had I remember, in fact, I I that just came up because the job that I just finished. The costume designer was the costume designer for that, and I hadn't seen her since then.
Speaker 1: Wait, what was the other thing?
Speaker 6: She was a costume designer, the thing that I just finished, This thing called the statement. Okay, what's Tom McCarthy's new movie. It's Tom McCarthy's new movie.
Speaker 2: Oh see, it still says untitled Tom McCarthy on the internet, untitled Tom McCarthy.
Speaker 6: Is it a secret called the statement? Right now?
Speaker 1: We can let everyone knows the statement?
Speaker 6: I don't think so. But yeah, no, they they released they I think they made a I think they put out okay, press, press, release whatever. It's based on a book called Losing Earth by this guy Nathaniel Rich, which is about sort of how the climate change movement got derailed, like what brought us to this point where what we knew fifty years ago that could have prevented catastrophe, Despite that, here we are. And one of the things in the book is a sort of critical point in This was a conference in nineteen eighty and Saint Petersburg, Florida. That was an effort to come up with sort of guidelines for legislation to combat climate change, particularly CO two. And it was a real conference. They got the found the transcripts for this from this conference and built a script around it. So it's this very interesting movie where there's like twenty two of us for the bulk of the movie around this big conference table and shot with three cameras and doing you know, all of the dialogue was as spoken by by these real people.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's star studded, it's it's a crazy cast.
Speaker 2: And you know, semester you some pod guests of the pod Michael Chernis, uh huh.
Speaker 4: Tom McCarthy has been on SVU as an actor. I just looked at season one, season one, I mean yeah, season one, an episode called.
Speaker 1: Contact Nothing that guy can't do damn.
Speaker 2: And do you feel like you've worked with Paul Rudd more than anyone in your whole career.
Speaker 6: Every sort of clinched it. Yeah, this definitely sort of clinched it that. I was like, I was like I've known Paul Rudd for thirty years and and and uh, you know, and like he's he's always he's said many times like sort of jokingly, but he said it a lot like that, Like he credits me with his comedy career because I introduced him to the State guys and the Stella guys, and from that, you know that he met John Appatow and all these which just does not something he needs to say, but he has said a lot and is very nice and like, Yeah, this time in particular, I was there, you know, I sat across from room for fifteen days of shooting or whatever, and at some point I was like I've known I've known him a really really long time.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Did you guys when you were making Wet Hot, Like I mean, could you have imagined like what a like such a little indie I feel like it was.
Speaker 1: But also such a singular voice, like nothing.
Speaker 2: Is like it, you know, right, and it's and so many huge stars and amazing actors have come out of it, and you've redone it now like with the the going back to the two TV series like all these things, like you guys had did you have any inkling like Oh.
Speaker 1: This is like really gonna hit, this is gonna be huge?
Speaker 6: Like no, I mean, I mean, I I said at the time that you know, like I said that, I don't know what this is gonna if this is going to be successful or anything like that. I just know that I want them to get an edit done and get a copy of it to me that I just want this. I have to have this, like I have to see this like and and in that regard, you know, I think I think it was definitely I don't think they set out to make, you know, a cult movie, because you can't do that. Yeah, but you know, I mean I think most cult movies are sort of movies that didn't, you know, achieve the numbers that everybody is supposed to want to achieve with the release and all that stuff. But but finds this audience in this new life and like that was always surprising and thrilling but also so made sense.
Speaker 2: I mean, I was a camp counselor. When this movie came out, it was like it.
Speaker 1: Was she still runs the family camp. I still go back to my summer camp like every summer for a little bit.
Speaker 4: Like I'm such a big camp person, and so all my camp friends would be like, oh my god, this movie was like made for us. Like you know, like when they go to town for like their break and go on like a full bender. I mean, we obviously didn't do that, but we would like run into town to like smoke as many cigarettes and eat Cheetos as we could and then run back to camp.
Speaker 1: And then the movie just like blew that out to be like they're shooting up, They're like doing all this shit, like it was so good, and I just I don't know, I just don't know. I'd want to just tell you how much I love the movie.
Speaker 6: Oh thank you. I I love it too. And it really is like many people, you know, call it a litmus test or whatever. It's like, if you want to be my friend, you have to watch this movie. And yeah, you know, we can't be friends if you don't love this movie. And and and yeah, and and by far the most, you know, the most, the thing that people are the most enthusiastic about nice about is that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure, I mean fun, fun, what a day for you? And the clank community, Yes good, a clangk family classic made its way into We got to talk to somebody. I'm so excited. I love him. And yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Mean yeah, they just ruined everything I want to be on set for seven months minus kidnappings, of course, but like I mean, taking everything from us, everything is worse. Everything is worse. They buy Annie's crap, the Annie's mac and cheese. They take out all the real ingredients. Yeah, put it with garbage and we're given slop and I'm easy to bring up veep and America is wiping its nasty ass with it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's like maybe it's it's late stage capitalism, right, It's like literally everything used to be let's make art, and now it's like, let's get like Nickel and dime every single thing.
Speaker 1: Like you're gonna be there on this shoot for you have to fly yourself in, be a local higher.
Speaker 2: You're on this step for four days, you know, seventies even thin because I was gonna bring up Aya cash when she was here, and she's like, I make so much money because I sat for three months at wob of Wall Street barely had a line. Yeah, and she says she makes way like so much cash off that.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Can you imagine he started acting and then some woman comes in and goes, you're coming to New York and then you're in Mexico Leonardo DiCaprio, Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Fuck yep, and people are getting freaking kidnapped.
Speaker 2: I guess the kidnapping is so crazy, but then like then they did protect everyone. Yeah, I mean the probably had to pay all the ransoms. Yeah, but I mean to have to have a cane. That's upsetting because someone from my elementary school got kidnapped and I did think it was funny when we were older, and he's like, that was the worst thing that's ever happened to me, and I go, oh, yeah, that's like trauma.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's terrifying because you don't know that they're just gonna like let you go for X amount of money or whatever.
Speaker 1: No, they had guns.
Speaker 2: I mean I told you I accidentally used his first and last name and a thing and then everyone at his job saw it. And then he wrote me a pretty scathing message. Oh no, he said he hopes I die in a fire, but congratulations on Horace and pe like that's what the message was. Wow, damn, I'm meeting a Clementine. I'm so sorry. I just not leave Ementine the juices. I was just so hungry and then I'll have had his iced coffee and beer, so I just like needed something.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah yeah, but post mortem on the old constricted I mean constricted. I still want to talk about him. I mean, I also love that he got to do VP, like being a fan of it. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I want old Hollywood, like looking at the Red carpets even. I think people are nostalgic for when faces look different and people didn't have stylists and you could just see people wearing dresses that they pick out with their faces. Who knew that would be a four long era? Is that the term for long bygone era?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Like what the fuck? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Everyone's faces are just fucked Yes, I was just talking about that this morning. With everybody's talking about Chris Kardashian's guy, I've heard all kinds of stuff about how like she has a password that she gives to people if they want to use her. Guy that did her face, He actually doesn't. He actually makes people look like themselves. I'm actually pro that guy. But now I heard somebody said that her face lifts falling and she's pissed. Oh, I don't know. I hear all kinds of shit.
Speaker 1: I don't know, bitch, It's like, you're eighty, your face is gonna fall? What the fuck are we doing? Yeah? Yeah, yeah, what are we doing? Yeah? I just don't like it. I just it's like I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't know, because I like medicine and I like the maps like Google Maps.
Speaker 1: But those are the only two inventions.
Speaker 2: Technology wise, like just the heart of stuff, Like I guess it's just capitalism.
Speaker 1: It's not technology that's bad. It's just like.
Speaker 2: So for a few guys to get rich, like everything we consume is worse, Like it's just.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I listened to like reality.
Speaker 4: It's because like now tech companies run entertainment and it didn't used to be that.
Speaker 2: Like you, tech companies only care about their quarterly reports and wanted to follow any of the rules that were implemented, for like the separations of the movie industry.
Speaker 1: No, we let dorks take over, like these fucking nerds. Yeah, why aren't we just swirling them like fucking and then people and then people that want to do bits like look up to the door, like, I just it's a it's a twilight zone. This must be a test. Are we in the good place? Like? Are we in the bad? Like? What is it? This can't be real. This can't be real. We're gonna make everything worse and you're not gonna as much fun, We're gonna treat you worse. You're gonna be more desperate, and everything's worse.
Speaker 4: I've been feeling that really lately, that everything is worse, Like everything is like just stuff I used to buy, like experiences exactly. Nothing is as good anymore. And I don't know the anti thing is so true.
Speaker 1: It is these organic brands get bought and then it all ends up being the the glops bar baoops. Yeah, like not the real food.
Speaker 2: And then I know I've said this on the pods so many times, but then when I'm on stage being like we need to murder the rich, everyone's a gas and it's like they're slowly poisoning you and then not letting you get medicine, Like what are we? Why do people have such like an instinct to protect this? Like that's what I don't get at.
Speaker 4: Have you seen like Ben mackenzie from the OC making all the round talking about crypto and stuff and like, yeah, it's like at least somebody is going around talking about how these guys are sociopaths, right, Like, oh, I've learned I've been saying Palenteer wrong.
Speaker 1: Have we talked about this? No? How is that wrong. I've been saying Plantier everywhere.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Palenteer, Yeah, yeah, No one has corrected me for years. But Jared like pointed out to me when I said something about Pallenteer to him. He goes, do you know Palenteer are like these evil things from like Lord of the Rings. And I guess like Peter Teel is a big Lord of the Rings person, but like they're not a good thing in Lord of the.
Speaker 1: They're nah, they're like they're doing tech for ice, like they're all bad. They're nerds. It's like they're I don't know, I don't know.
Speaker 4: It's one of these indestructible crystal bar balls from Lord of the Rings and they're used for communication to see events, but they eventually cause like corruption and destruction.
Speaker 1: Yes, they want to destruct. They didn't get there. He's nod. I've never seen a Lord of the Rings or read a word of the books. I'm just second one now. I saw that. I saw the movies. I saw the movies.
Speaker 4: So it's like, you named your company that. That's so wild. You named your company that.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's it's in plain sight, like yeah, there's no tricks. It's like people are defending it's like I don't know.
Speaker 2: It's like no, they they're saying they don't care if you die, Like I don't know, whatever, whatever. I think everyone should be gay, and like I think that would solve everything. I think it's like guys being too scared to be gay is like what's caused it all?
Speaker 1: Like if they were just that, It's it's what I believe now. I don't know. I'm just coming up with stuff, but yeah, just I believe it. Some solutions out there. I don't know.
Speaker 2: It's just devastating. But Our Guests was great, good episode. What yeah someone Yeah constricted choke I mean, it's it's a nightmare.
Speaker 1: We gotta we just gotta be keeping an eye on what we're showing these kids.
Speaker 2: This man told a child to choke out and strangle another child and he just has to do an apology.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and he's like and he's like, this is how you close. Like he's like teaching his son, like this is how you really get them. They're the choosers, they're the buyers. They get the choice, and this is really how you're going to close the deal. But then let's take all their choice and strangle her. I mean his wife was waiting for a reason. She was waiting well.
Speaker 2: And this is so connected to Zach's other episode from season two with Consent, where it's like the enthusiastic of it all, where it's like, yeah, she didn't say no, but it's like, but she was covered in vomit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know if she didn't say me. We had your hands around her neck. Yeah yeah, it's like, well, she didn't say anything, and it's like, like, I don't understand. That's so true, Zach. Both of Zach's episodes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like the same themes for decades on this show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, ahead of its time and never enough because it's just yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, let's get to our what would sister Peg do? This is our weekly segment where we recommend you to a book an article about my country.
Speaker 2: I'm talking about Megla Stallion obviously, and then someone it was like, oh wait, what are you talking about? I go, well, so Meg Thea Stallions with this guy. His name is Clay Thompson and he goes, yeah, I know who that is, and I was like, oh yeah, I forgot that. Like he does like basketball. People might know him separately from Meg Thea stallion, you know.
Speaker 4: Well wait, we didn't talk about this on the podcast though.
Speaker 1: No, we have it.
Speaker 2: But because basically I'm thinking about her a lot and like the way she was treated, and then also thinking about how like a man shot her in the foot and people still defend him and don't give a fuck and make fun of her, and it's like, it is just crazy. I want firing squads and then everyone to be gay and then that.
Speaker 1: So what is the story?
Speaker 4: Because I saw the video of her like crying on stage at her.
Speaker 2: Shit, the story is she posted and she was just like, okay, you were playing house fucking having me cook for your fucking family. They buy out a house together, buying her cars, and then cheats on her and then tries to like be like, oh, it's kind of the Lindy West of it all, where it's like if you're Polly or non monogamous or whatever, like you say that up top, Yeah, that is the thing you say, you don't get to cheat, and then go, well, I'm actually non monogamous. But then also, you just bought a house and did Thanksgiving and she cooked for your family. So then I read a thing about just like like that. Men sometimes will like trap you far enough to think that you won't leave, Like, oh, well we bought a house, she'll put up with it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like, no, she's Meg the Stallion. She's gonna leave.
Speaker 2: And then I was wondering, like, if Lindy West had more megdus stallion energy, she should leave. Yeah, maybe this whole thing will convince her that. But and so it was just impressive that. Oh and then she also in her message was just like and I put up with your terrible mood swings all basketball season, and now that you're off, now suddenly you don't want to be monogamous, Yeah, to deal with your fucking loser ass. No, you don't get to pull Pollyamory out as like an afterthought that's at the top. And then obviously it's not nice, but everyone's gonna call him ugly for the rest of his life and that he didn't deserve her, and like it's kind of the Wes Wilson, Like Wes Wilson is resentful that people think like he's not good enough for Sierra and that's where all of this comes from. Oh, it's like resentment where he's just like they want me to be like you know, when you're like, how'd you get her?
Speaker 1: Your troll? What you cheated on?
Speaker 2: You didn't want to be with her, You're nothing, and like all that resentment was what led to all of this, you know, in the public opinion, it's like this resenting fucking thing. And I bet he had that because Meg the Stallion and like his face is weird and she's perfect. But it's like you think she can't get her own house and car, Like what did you think you thought Red the Stallion was gonna go? Okay, yeah, I know you can fuck whoever you want, right while you bought a house together. And then she and then saying, oh, but I don't want to be monogamous. Well what does monogamous mean to you?
Speaker 1: Yeah? So weird, it's fucking weird.
Speaker 2: But then obviously I just thought about her having a shot, like no one care and people being like you dumb bitch, what'd you do?
Speaker 1: What you did is arette.
Speaker 4: It also feels like an excuse too. It feels like, I mean, he's just like got busted. And then he's like, oh but I'm I'm I'm not. Yeah, you have to be ethically non monogamous. That's unethical. Yeah, you get ethical. You forgot the ethics. Did we get any bad messages when I went off.
Speaker 1: On Polly honestly not really.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I love our audience, like a couple of people were just like people were just like a lot of us are not having kids and not doing like what you're saying. Like but but yes, but we love you like they weren't even like mad, We have the best girl.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, I feel like a psychopath when I go off on these things. But it is all interconnected, because then you sound crazy, you know, you're like this and then this and then this.
Speaker 1: But it's like it is all connected.
Speaker 2: It's like the patriarchy, capitalism, whiteness, it's all connected. Yeah, and it and pedophiles and it controls all of it. Yes, and we're controlled by rich pedophile psychopaths who don't see us as people. And then I'm the bitch, and then I'm the bitch like it's insane, you're yeah, yep, yeah, I should write to the to your podcast.
Speaker 1: Yeah, who's the bitch? The patriarchy? Now? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Everybody, yes, exactly, we say that all the time. Everybody is feeling this like it feels every I mean maybe not white men that are financially doing well in our pedophiles.
Speaker 1: I don't know. Everything feels like it's worse right now, but I don't know. There's elections coming up. I don't know who knows. Should we get into it with Sister Pegg doing coffee? Yeah, we have to just say little joys. I'm going to see Devilware's brought a little joyce. We're just trying to get the joys. What would Sister Peg do?
Speaker 4: This is our weekly segment where we direct you to an article, a doc, an organization, something to give you more info about.
Speaker 1: What we talked about. And this week we wanted to put you.
Speaker 4: To an article on the Techno Sapiens Substack written by psychologist and professor Jacqueline NeSSI, titled how to Talk to Kids about Porn. As the article discusses, the average age of exposure to porn is eleven or twelve. The article covers when, how, and what to say to your kid about porn. There are even helpful suggestions for if your kid is older it has already been exposed to porn. So to read the article, head on over to the Techno Sapiens Stop Substack or we'll have it linked in our show notes and posted in a story the day this episode comes out, and we catalog all those old stories in our WWSPD highlights on our Instagram, which is That's Messed Up Pod.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for that, And next week we will be doing Bound season five, episode twenty three, all Class Match. I'm so excited. Form. We should like talk about the Tommies more. It's like we named them and never mention it again.
Speaker 1: No, we do, we do, we do, we do the time. Yeah, We'll see you Tommy's next week.
Speaker 2: That's Messed Up as an exactly right production.
Speaker 1: If you have compliments you'd like to give us or episodes you'd like us to cover, shoot us an email it That's Messed uppod at gmail dot com. Listen to That's My on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: Follow the podcast on Instagram at That's Messed Up Pod, and follow us personally at Kara Klank and.
Speaker 1: At Glitter Cheese. As always, please see our show notes for sources and more information.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much to our senior producer Casey O'Brien and our associate producer Christina Chamberlain, and to.
Speaker 1: Our mixer John Bradley and our guest booker Patrick Cottner. And to Henry Kaperski for our theme song and Carly Geen Andrews for our artwork. Thank you to our executive producers Georgia hard Start, Karen Kilgareff, Daniel Kramer and everybody at Exactly Right Media.
Speaker 3: Dun Dun