Speaker 1: Michaelphone check one two one two, And we're back and we're black and we're brown ambitions.
Speaker 2: In our in our in our new stude, ye hijack Tiffany's stude.
Speaker 1: So also we're in the office. Then the new budget.
Speaker 2: Nees to office and it's gorgeous.
Speaker 1: Even though it needs to be vacuum. I'm like all this dust. Anyway, we're back, and what do you want to talk about today?
Speaker 2: What I wanted to start off this week's podcast with did you do you watch Blackish?
Speaker 1: I watched the clip where they talked about the election.
Speaker 2: The one with Anthony Anderson doing his like monologue.
Speaker 1: No, no, I watched the clip where the where they're like, I guess he's at work and they're sitting around a table and like there's like they're like, I guess what is her name? Is that? Wand of psychs?
Speaker 2: No, Yeah, That's what I'm talking about. When he's talking about when there he's like the really like semi racist, like passive aggressive boss is like why don't you care about the election or why don't you care about what's happening? When Anthony starts his character, he's like, you know, what did you say to me? And then he gets really serious and he talks about like.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, no, I didn't see that part. I just saw the part where they were like, you're the token white girl. What you know, why did your people in that vote failary?
Speaker 2: Oh? Really?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: Well I want you. The whole episode is like, I mean, Blackish is an amazing show in general, but they've been I feel like they really take their job seriously to like be a touchtone for like what it's like to be in a black family today. And it's been two months. And at first when I heard there did a Trump episode, I was like, I'm just I'm just I'm trying to like get over it. And now you're gonna go drag this up. And it's always awkward when shows like have realistic, like real people in them are real, like they acknowledge that it's twenty sixteen or seventeen and like this is what's happening. But they did such a good job. And the clip that everyone is talking about is this clip we want to play right now for you everyone. Listen.
Speaker 3: I love this country, even though with times it doesn't love me back for.
Speaker 4: My whole life, my parents, my grandparents, me, for most black people, this system has never worked for us seventy feet, but we still played ball, tried to do our best to live by the rules, even though we knew.
Speaker 3: They would never work out in our favor.
Speaker 4: Strange rooms had to live in neighborhoods if you wouldn't drive through, send.
Speaker 3: Our kids to schools with books so beat up you couldn't read them, work jobs that you wouldn't even consider in your nightmare, and blood out in the rooms. Black people wake up every day believing that our lives are going to change, even though everything around us says it's not truth be told. You ask most black.
Speaker 4: People when they tell you that, no matter who won this election, they didn't expect the hood.
Speaker 3: To get better, change fluent, but they.
Speaker 4: Still voted because that's what you're supposed to do. You think I'm not sad that Hillary didn't win, that I'm not terrified about what Trump's about to do.
Speaker 3: I'm used to things not going my way. I'm sorry that you're not, and it's blowing your mind.
Speaker 4: So excuse me if I get a little offended because I didn't see all of this outrage when everything was happening to all of my people, since we were stuffed on votes and chains.
Speaker 3: I love this country as much, if not more than you do. And don't you ever forget that.
Speaker 2: And give him all the golden gloy.
Speaker 1: What oh?
Speaker 2: I felt that even more, just listened to it again than I don't.
Speaker 1: And then to have Nina Simone in the back.
Speaker 2: You know, when Strange Fruit comes on.
Speaker 1: You already know it's like it's a thug festug thug t your fast.
Speaker 2: I love Blackish. I feel like it's one of the most important shows on television.
Speaker 1: And I'm so glad that that Tracy Elis Ross, you know, isn't she love he she got?
Speaker 3: She won?
Speaker 1: Yeah, golden look at me. I'm like the golden glow. But I knew it was one of those awards that people always want to get.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she won. It was a good night for for black TV. Atlanta. Donald Glover, I can't say I watched a couple episodes. I did, but I lost track. But and they won in that fabulous brown suit. And then Moonlight Moonlight, Yeah, Best Picture Drama. Although you know, I saw Lala Land and my one of my girlfriends was texting me and she was like, mane moon, I can't believe so and so won because Moonlight was kind of up for the same awards as Lala Land. Best Actor, but I think Best Supporting Actress, Best Director, Yeah yeah, and then it lost because La La Land won everything until the Best Picture Drama. And she was like, this can't be because I've seen Lala Land. She's like, this can't be better than Moonlight. And I was like, you can't compare a musical about, you know, a young woman who goes to la and tries to be an actress to what Moonlight is. You just like, can't I feel like you? And I don't feel like it should be like that for them, you know the movies, Like everything doesn't have to be the same. I don't know, it's in a whole different category. I think they're both amazing films.
Speaker 1: But I know what you mean. You're right, because you're like, it's not really, Yeah, it's it's a totally different It pulls totally different energy and emotion out of you. The two different ones.
Speaker 2: I loved. I love that sound.
Speaker 1: I'm not gonna lie I didn't watch Land.
Speaker 2: It's you know, it's not for everybody. It's it's a muse it's basically a musical, but on like, you know, it's like Mulin Rouge or any of those like musical like movies. But I thought it was incredible.
Speaker 1: I love them. Have you seen Hidden Figures? Yes, I didn't see it, didn't see it before the podcast. Yeah, I saw it.
Speaker 2: It was it was really good. Okay, that's when I said I loved Jersey City because the whole crowd was like really into it. Oh that's why you're clapping and snapping.
Speaker 1: Yes, I'm gonna have to take Supergirl. I really want to see it.
Speaker 2: But I didn't know that it was number one. I saw this last weekend like it tied. First headline I read was just gonna tie with Rogue one, the new Star Wars movie. But then I read that it beat Star Wars.
Speaker 1: Also me so enter.
Speaker 2: I saw Taraji tweeting and like instagramming, They're so excited.
Speaker 1: You know, it's so great about it because I'm not gonna lie. When I first heard that they were doing this movie called Hidden Figures about you know, black women entrepreneurs, not entrepreneurs, engineers and mathematicians that helped to launch you know, a man into space, I thought, no one's gonna watch it, honestly, not I knew I would watch it, but I thought to myself, the larger world, at larger they're not gonna care about the story. So I'm just so happy that I was proven completely wrong and that it's a story that has transcended and people are watching it and not just watching it, but making it number one. So I'm super excited about that.
Speaker 2: And it was the same year that you know, not Turner's movie, the the one Nate Parker, Nate Parker's movie came out about not turning the Revolution, and like it was, I mean, it was kind of a flop, right, all the bad press about his history with that, you know, those rape allegations, and then that was kind of like a real loss because that was that was the after Oscar so White last year, when that movie was bought at the film festivals by a big studio network, it was like the biggest thing. It was like, oh my god, next year we're saying, this is the first movie it was a bought for like a record amount of money by a production studio. And then so when it kind of like it fizzled based on all those bad that bad press, it was a big loss. So I feel like Hidden Figures probably benefited from a couple of things. One it's about women, and two it's kind of a feel good movie. It is I mean you it was weird. I left the theater kind of like really depressed and sad because you do realize these women literally like the Taraji who plays Catherine I forget her last name Johnson, sorry, Catherine Johnson in the movie, who's really the instrumental like brilliant, like genius mathematician who at the last minute comes running with the answer to a problem they need to get Ah John Glenn yes back down to her safely and she during the movie has to run half a mile to.
Speaker 1: Use the bathroom. Her mind, it's crazy.
Speaker 2: And then at one point her boss is like, where have you been? You're not here, You're never here. Where do you go? For forty minutes and then she's and then she breaks down and it has like this really emotional scene where she says, I have to go to the bathroom and then you know, just and you see like the oppression of the women, and it's you see, the women at NASA were all sort of being they were all sort of hit in. The white women and the black women who were computers were all down in the basement working separately, but you sort of see like the chain of command. Like so Kirsten Dunce plays like the leader of the White computers, and she you know, keeps Octavia Spencer's character down, you know, beneath her, even though she's also kind of beneath her. And it's just all the dynamics and it's super depressing, but it's also kind of feel good at the end because you know, you know, they win, but then you have to leave the theater knowing that they didn't really win because it's been sixty years.
Speaker 1: And now they're just now getting recognition for that, these women.
Speaker 2: And but Catherine Johnson was still alive. I think she's like in her late nineties. Wow, and she got to see it.
Speaker 1: Who child see?
Speaker 2: Honestly, I show the pictures of them at the end, and that's one. Yeah, this is tears story.
Speaker 1: Honestly, lately, I'm not gonna lie. Since the new year has started, I have purposefully curated my what I ingest online because it's too much. Honestly, I'm not gonna lie. Like, you know, you start reading like and this cabinet appointee and then I'm like, you know what, I can't like I literally cannot take it. So it was that roller coaster ride of the of the elections was almost too much. And then to read like and I'm obviously I'm gonna go back to because I have to know what's happening, but I'm like I need a minute to like fortify myself with good things before I kind of like allow these like it's scary. And sometimes I just look and I'm like, what now, I can't. I can't, I can't, So I'm like, I don't want to see this Facebook. I don't want to see this Facebook.
Speaker 2: Have you been did you watch I've been like hang and I've been hanging on like a life raft everything of Michelle and Brock that I every bit of Asasha Malia like I watched the Farewell Address and like me too, all of it, and it.
Speaker 1: Was just I was actually in DC for the Farewell Address.
Speaker 2: You were there?
Speaker 1: No, not there, I mean I was just in Washington, d C. I was there because I was taping like Good Morning Washington like with some credit tips or whatever. And then a friend of ours works at BT Networks, so she was like, oh, you want to come to watch like the Mary Jane being Mary Jane. You know their new premiere, right.
Speaker 2: It came on right after I saw Gabriel Union music.
Speaker 1: I was like, all right, Gabriel, yes and so, but right before they were watching The State, you know, like the last date of the Union, and so I were watching that. It was just great to watch it like in DC, knowing like not too far away it was happening.
Speaker 2: Yes, I just drink. I'm drinking every last drop. And especially the part where he talks to Michelle. You know, I lived for that. And then you saw Malia getting emotional.
Speaker 1: Did you see how like when when Uncle Joe got his award that was.
Speaker 2: So Actually I cried during that, not during the pharewell.
Speaker 1: If anybody gets a chance to like lovey j Right, she had the perfect description of like how Uncle Joe was acting. She's like, look at Uncle Joe. He acting He's acting like he just got nominated to the deacon board. It was like, God, I'm not worthy and turned around was like like the past was like we just want to acknowledge uncle Joe is our new deacon and it was just so true, like the look in his eyes. Everybody just loves Joe Biden.
Speaker 2: He lost it. Yeah, and you talk about a man who's been through like I think he deserves it, just based on the personal Tom like for him to still be standing and to be able to say, you know, I'm still optimistic about our country when all that's happened to him. I mean, I feel like life just keeps knocking him down and it makes it and he's just like such a strong guy. And their friendship is so genuine at this point, like they don't even care, they give zero fs about him. They just like just full on loving each other. I feel like they know that we need, Yeah, we need to see some positivity and I just I need them to have their own radio.
Speaker 1: Show or something.
Speaker 2: I just want to hear Uncle Joe and we.
Speaker 1: Chat or whatever.
Speaker 2: That weekly lunch they have that was like a highlight of my week. I know. We have like a tight Yeah, we're a tight schedule because we're taping a literature.
Speaker 1: So yeah, so like a little bit later, we'll be taping live. Every week we do a Live Richer Challenge chat the budget, he said Mandy representing Magnified Money, who's the sponsor of the Live Richer Challenge credit edition, And so we're during that doing that tonight and so yeah. So it's because of that we have a little tighter schedule. If you're not doing the Live Ritual Challenge sponsored by the awesome Magnified Money, what you're waiting on? You could join us at l r C for the Live Richer Challenge l r C Credit dot Com and get your whole credit life together. Magnify Money has provided us with so many amazing tools to use to get your credit just really on point. You know, it's so crazy. My sister Tracy, the one who like buys all my clothes, she hit me the other day and she is She said, I asked, you know, what are you doing today? It was like, you know, the weekend, and she was like, honestly catching up on the Live with your Challenge. I'm like, you're doing it because you know, like they never they don't tell me, And she was like I am. She's like, I'm two days behind, so I'm catching up since it's Sunday. And I thought, that's so awesome, you know.
Speaker 2: And she You're like, you're a litmus test for all the advice that you give.
Speaker 1: No, that's Lisa, Oh, Lisa, Lisa. And then Lisa like, so I posted on Facebook, like you know Tracy's doing Lisa's like not to be outdone. I'm doing it as well with my coworkers.
Speaker 2: So it's just buddy shit. Even if you have good credation, still do it. I think a lot of there's a lot of I think, interesting extras, and people may have good credit but may not even know how or why exactly.
Speaker 1: Her credit was a seven ninety and she's like, it fail to like a seven p fifty, which is still excellent, and she's like, I just want to raise it back up again. So it's it's for anyone. What I love is that what I'm hearing from people. The feedback is that I didn't even know how credit, Like how does credit come to be? And why? And I'm learning that and then I'm learning how to purposefully grow it, and then the last week of the challenge you learned how to maintain it. So it's just so great because honestly, it's free, The resources are dope and free. You can do the challenge all year round, so you can always restart it over and over again. There really is no excuse not to at least be working on your credit if you if you want better credit.
Speaker 2: It's the credit class everybody should have had in high school. And it's never too smart to learn. So and I just want to say real quick to all the dream catchers who are like tweeting Magnify money. We get all your all your Facebook messages and your emails. You've gotten all of them. I think we responded to all of them. There were like dozens. Thank you so much, You're so sweet and on behalf of Magnify. Just keep going. Thank you for the love. Yes, don't forget to like us on Facebook.
Speaker 5: Yes, Magnify Underscore Money, any wins, any any.
Speaker 2: Are reading Let's do Breaks?
Speaker 1: Yes, Yes, Brown boots and Brown.
Speaker 2: Break, Brown Boost and Brown Break.
Speaker 1: I want to take well, I guess it's kind of a break. It's just that. So me and Superman are house shopping.
Speaker 2: Right shopping?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: Well or whatever? Yeah, investment property shopping.
Speaker 1: So you know, when you start shopping, you have your mind, I want for a family, Da da da, And then you're like, I'll take the three, and then you're like I'll take the two. And now we're like I'll just take a house.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, update update, we've downgraded all right.
Speaker 1: So I mean, honestly, we're still at least looking for a multi family house. But honestly, like you, you start to realize that as you go through the process, there's so many things that you did not realize, you know, because I thought we were good. I'm like, We've got plenty of money saved, Superman's credit is great, you know, like check check check, But there's so many things, for example, like tell us, tell us. I know the number one thing that I did not realize is that my realtor was telling me what websites not to use, and so like when you're when your house, so you normally so your realtor is going to look for homes for you, right right. But I mean I'm proactive, so I want to look too, you know. So I gave her like my and stuff like this is what I like, check check check, check check, but I like to look and be proactive. So she was like, don't use sorry true trulio, Trilio, Trulia, Zillowillo, all those other sides. She's like, honestly, there some of them are weeks behind and they have not been updated. So she's like, I don't want you to get your hope up hopes up and see something. And then you know she's like, honestly, the best site that's closest to what she actually sees is realtor dot com, she said, because they update every thirty every fifteen to thirty minutes. So she was like, you're only behind about thirty minutes. So you know, she was like, I'm not saying that something.
Speaker 2: Won't be sold, but in New York, though, thirty minutes can.
Speaker 1: Be exactly, but better than two weeks on one of these other sides. Yeah, you know, So she was like, that's the closest site that you're going to find to what she has as far as open to the public.
Speaker 2: Because realtors, Hey, you have the MLM networks, right, yep, that's what's what does that stand for. I'm not even gonna lie MLN or something like that.
Speaker 1: Ye MLS or something like that, mls MS multi list something service. Yes, And so what they do is Realtor dot Com every thirty minutes, pull from the MLS, gotcha. And so you're seeing like thirty minutes, fifteen to thirty minutes behind what they see, and so our look and sure enough, because before I was pulling things from Zillow and Trulio on all those other websites and I would send it to her and literally ninety five percent of the time sold, sold, sold, And I get so disappointed. And I've been pulling from realtor dot com as you suggested, and ninety percent of the time available available available, So I was like, wow, okay, so it is really up to date. So one, this is what I suggest, So going to realter dot com and figuring out first what is it that you really want? So we will, like, I know, we have our list of like what we want to buy, where we want to buy, that kind of thing. And then what we've done is that we'll do a drive by first, because there's nothing worse than your realtor saying, okay, you know the house that you sent me the link for, you know, we can go see it on Tuesday and you pull up and you're like, I hate this neighborhood. So we have been spending our weekends doing drive bys, you know. So well, we'll do our research like on a Saturday morning, of places, we'll look at the pictures, pick maybe like ten. I think we saw like twenty today, which was a lot, and then we'll just literally drive by, driving and so like the good thing is that we're really concentrated on one particular neighborhood, so even though you might see twenty, they're all within like one block of each other, so it's not as bad. And then well, I'll take notes to the paper like like this hated this. So of the like twenty that we saw today, there were six that we liked and three that we really want to see, you know, so of that, like you know, we'll probably go see about three of them this week. So now we're ready. So that's what we do every week. We'll go to Rota dot com, make a list, do a drive by, see them the next week. And so it's just been like a little bit tedious. But yeah, I always use Zillow.
Speaker 2: I mean, well because I'm just dreaming right now. So for me, like Zillo and Trulia I think are good if you just want to get a sense of what the prices you're like out there, But yeah, like definitely not if you're like act.
Speaker 1: Actually yeah, because you'll be very very very because you'll get like exciting, like, oh my goodness is.
Speaker 2: So we found our apartment on Zillo actually really, but I think we got lucky. I mean I think we looked the day that it was listed OK, but it was like brand new building. It wasn't like one house. And it's a lot easier to have apartments available in one house.
Speaker 1: The houses go quick out they do, especially multiple because honestly, because I'm looking, you know, I live in Newark and people you know, just not too long ago, no one wants to live in Newark. But there's this trend because things are happening in Newark and it's like, you know, Prudential is buying a property, Rutgers is buying their property. Whole Foods is moving to Newark, not not the headquarters, but there there's a Whole Foods being built in Newark. So that to result, all of these investors are swarming in so here you are just trying to buy a piece of property, investors are buying them all cash, all cash, all cash.
Speaker 2: My friend, my girlfriend in Brooklyn just yesterday was so well. I saw her Friday, had like a little slumber party. She was so sad and because she's been there, been her and her fiance, they've been trying to find a place in Bushwaar and she was like, and I hadn't talked to her in a while about it, and she's the latest I've heard is that she's reading you know, buy in Atlanta, because it's just competing. You know, they would see something they like, Yeah, they'd email the realtor and immediately like, oh it was sold you know all cash investors, Yes, or to compete with that, Yes, it is. I don't know what are we hearing.
Speaker 1: I don't know what.
Speaker 2: We're in a very spooky giant.
Speaker 1: If you hear something in the blackwell, sorry, I don't know's.
Speaker 2: I don't aways hear crickets. I don't know this. Mike is very sensitive.
Speaker 1: It could be doing work. They're still like doing work unfortunately. So that's my brown break kind of. I'm like, oh, I mean I'm well, I just like a boom, Yeah, and I will, but you know, it's just good to be so because you're you're like, oh, or you'll see a house that it's so gorgeous on the outside and then we'll go in and be like is this the nightmare before Christmas? Like what is happening in here?
Speaker 2: But I totally relate. I mean, well, in May, I was announcing that we're moving within ri Kue's parents and we were going to save up for a house and what are where are we now renting slow in our role? Although full disclosure, that was my plan all along. But you gotta do it, like, yeah, ya, we'll get a house. You know, we'll see what happens to wink wink, right, what about you? You'll find it all in good time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I believe so. And I'm like, the thing is I always someone at homeless. We're not. We have a place. It's just that well, you know, and I like doing it in the winter because you have a little at least a little less competition.
Speaker 2: On one level, I feel like you guys are exactly the kind of people who need to find a house in Newark.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: They don't want to push people like you out of here. That I mean, you're bringing money into the economy, you're smart, you're talented.
Speaker 1: For the city, you know, so it's just a good people.
Speaker 2: Like, let's not push everyone out. I feel like that happened in Jersey City, where I am a little bit, a lot of bit anyway, Yeah, all right, my boost this week, So I'm going to give a boost on two of my favorite tools that I've been using so back in the New year is here, but not for me. It's my resolution is to get my money right, but not because of the new year, because my wedding is coming up obviously. So I want to give a shout out to one app called Level Money, which I've talked about a little bit before, but I don't know if I give you all the details. And Level money was recently purchased by Capital one okay or Capital one three sixty, so they have some new bells and whistles. But this is the app that I always tell people to go to if they're like, I don't know, I can't, like I don't know how much money. I just want to know how much money I have right now to spend for the week or for the month or whatever. They just can't. They don't have the patience for the budgetiestas super easy budget neist to tool. They're like me. They have like eighty h you with budgeting, okay. So I love level because you link your accounts obviously, but then you can easily go through your expenses and then check the ones that are recurring okay, And it knows all of your recurring monthly bills, and it knows how much money you have coming in, and it's tracking your expenses during the week. And every day it tells you this is how much you have to spend, and if you go over then it just goes into the next day spend or you can see here how much you have to spend for the whole week. And it's really nice because free, it's free, totally free. Level Money is the app. It's an orange icon. I'm gonna look at the iTunes store. It's my fave. But uh, say, just doing today and Level Money. Oh so we just moved into a new apartment and I could easily add my rent and then adjusted everything really quick. It's my favorite. I don't know, and for me, it's way more than Mint because Mint doesn't like give me and at least I haven't used the app in a while, but I don't get like, here's what you can spend two days, okay, And the problem with Mint is that I feel like Mint is like more for tracking where you're over spending the different categories because it's and but then you have to go and like tag all the ones that are uncategorized, and it's like such a pain in the butt.
Speaker 1: Okay, Level I like that. Okay, Level Money. I'm gonna look into.
Speaker 2: Level Money and then my second one. So we just moved and and this all kind of goes into like, right now, my expenses are kind of out of control because I'm buying like bridesmaids gifts and I'm buying you know, like tickets for things here and there and making you know, putting down deposits, so that like a lot of money is flying out and I just need to make sure I'm not spending more than I'm bringing in for the month at a time. So we moved into a new apartment. Uh, we have a beautiful kitchen. But like, one thing I've gotten really real with with me and my fiance how we work, is you want to you want to be like, oh, I'm going to save money on groceries. So I'm gonna make a list, go to the grocery store. We're gonna plan our meals. We're gonna chop all the vegues on Sunday and then put it all in zip blog bags and be ready to go for work. And that like never happens for us ever. I'm always too tired to go to the grocery store after work. And you get that text at like three point thirty and he's like, Yo, what's for dinner, and I'm like, I don't know. You tell me, I have a job done, what do you think we should have for dinner? And you just get in this like endless cycle and then you end up on seamless and spending like fifty dollars on bad Thai food. So I just got over it. And this this month we signed up for Hello Fresh. Okay, I've heard of them, which is one you know you've heard of these these grocery or meal delivery services. We plated Blue Apron Hello Fresh. There's a couple other I can't even remember, but I decided to use HelloFresh because I love that you can you can get four meals for two people for eighty four dollars a week, So you do the math. That's like, you do the math because I can't right now. Twenty two dollars per meal, okay, twenty dollars twenty one dollars per meal for that was like ten dollars per person for like really good gourmet dinners. And I love because you can you can select like a fit option. And I we were on Plated before and it was all really good food, but it was very like unhealthy, you like pizza pizza, you know, sandwiches all that, you know, not really healthy stuff. So I like Hello Fresh because you can choose the fit meal plans. It's for getting, you know, nice for the wedding, okay, and it's eighty four bucks. And literally that box comes on Monday, and it's like Christmas, like, oh, we're gonna have cherry glaze park Chops for dinner and we're gonna have like what do we make this week? That was so good? Sausage bolonnais and like all this stuff, you know, like that I would never make myself. I don't think I'll try.
Speaker 1: What can you do?
Speaker 2: Yeah? You do?
Speaker 1: You pay for the month or by week by week.
Speaker 2: Every week they get to do a new box and you get charged that week and you have so every like Monday, we'll get a charge for eighty four dollars, so you can cancel. If you're going on a vacation, you can can't like you can even go into the future and you know you're gonna be gone for two weeks. You don't want to forget or.
Speaker 1: Can you do?
Speaker 3: Like it?
Speaker 1: Just like you know what, this week, I'm gonna try something special?
Speaker 2: You can so they have every week you can choose your menu. So they have like seven to eight options, maybe six to eight options. I feel like they have eight, and then I pick four out of the eight. And so, for example, Enrique doesn't like fish, so I always skip the fish option. I usually skip the vegetarian options. I feel like I don't get my money's worth.
Speaker 1: Yeah no, But what I mean is that, like, could I just order for like one week? Would you have to like send? Yeah you could.
Speaker 2: I mean it's gonna have your credit card, so yeah, I mean, if you they and they always have these promotions, I'll post a link and you can get like a free box or whatever. I'll give you a free box because once you join, you can give all your friends free you know, weeks or whatever. Okay, that's how I got in on it.
Speaker 1: I definitely want to truck because I honestly have to say I like cooking. I love cooking. It's just that sometimes I'm like, oh, but I hate food chopping. When I say I hate food chopping, like literally out like I'm like Superman. So every time it's time to go food shopping, I'm always like, wait, so what what can I do? I could do the laundry. I could like I can mow the lawn, I can I can paint the house. Yeah, I hate because I take forever because I'm looking at every deal, every sale, literally I food chop. It takes me at minimum two hours. And then on top of that that's just a shopping experience. Then you gotta put it in your car, and then you have to take it from your car. And Superman is usually really good at like taking it from the car and putting in the house, but it has to be put put away after that, and you're like, all, my good, this is like a half a day ordeal. That's what I feel like in my hours.
Speaker 2: And this happens to me. This happened to me the week before we signed up. I was like, I'm done. We went to key Food for mustard. We spent eighty dollars mustard. I don't know what we spent it on, but lots of things that we just all of a sudden needed.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna look into that, honest.
Speaker 2: I think it helps with well, it helps with I think it is the list that I need. It's like, you only get what you need. You're not wasting food like I'm constantly wasting crap. You're not wasting food. You're getting a really delicious meal, and he cooks. It's like all he needs to cook. I feel like all men want. It's like, give me the directions, give me the ingredients. Here's everything I need.
Speaker 1: Can you up it? Like because we have I'm thinking, like I wonder if the two people be But Supergirl's not always with us, so I wonder if two would be enough, meaning like you know, he surprisingly even though Superman is really tall, he's not a big portions guy. I wonder if like two could really be like two and a half because she's like that.
Speaker 2: Sometimes usually with the meals that come with pasta or rice, there's usually plenty for two. When it was like when it's like we made chicken, what do we make?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: We mean these like amazing turkey like Thanksgiving burgers. It was so good, but that was just there was two buns just like turkey, you know, ground meat for like two.
Speaker 1: Okay, but it depends.
Speaker 2: Sometimes we have left risk for lunch the next day, which is like even better value.
Speaker 1: And you said in how many meals is it?
Speaker 2: You can neither do two? I think you can do one person, you.
Speaker 1: Know, meaning like for four days? You said, how many days.
Speaker 2: Four days, so we get eight meals, but four days for the food and that's just our dinner and then Friday we eat out anyway. So it's yeah, and I feel like we're saving tons of money.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm not gonna want it.
Speaker 2: Feels like you're you know, every time my.
Speaker 1: Food chop at minimum two hundred dollars, sometimes upwards of three something. So who, I'm like, who lives here that we're eating? And I might food chop maybe two two to three times a month. That's crazy. So we're spending at at minimum, honestly a month on food at minimum four hundred dollars.
Speaker 2: And that's even low. Like we spent way more than that.
Speaker 1: And that's how I said on minimum. I really venture to say we probably spent like five to six hundred dollars a month for three people, really three and a half. Yeah, you know, that's crazy.
Speaker 2: To try something new sometimes and it's like go buy I don't know, uh.
Speaker 1: A bock choy, you're like, and then you buy a whole thing a bock choy.
Speaker 2: You like spices, spices, you're like seven dollars a pop, like some turmeric and you're gonna need quarter Hello, fresh gives you exactly a quarter cheese. I'm gonna try it's it's fan tabulous.
Speaker 1: You know, even if I just do it, like, you know, twice a month. I think I'm gonna try. Give it a try. Okay, I'll hook you up.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: See already I've got my new my new Chase Sapphire Reserve card, thanks today. I ain't that it's metal. Now. We are not big, We're not big pushes of go get credit. This is but this is a perfect fit for someone like me who spends the money anyway, especially on business, and I travel a lot, and so this is like literally the perfect fit card. So yeah, but don't go running out and getting stuff. I know, like the I've heard that the whole one hundred thousand dollars point thing is over. But if you actually go into a Chase bank, I've heard that they're honoring it for like the next for another month. Ooh okay, yeah, so for cause I saw it, like I was reading stuff online more about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And if you guys want to know how I know I started last year. Last week I told the story of how I booked our honeymoon to Italy and Spain for two hundred books and everyone wants to know why our how So I wrote that, you know, my entire explanation, a really good, like in depth guide to how I use my points.
Speaker 1: I want to send it with the dream cashers. I want to post it in the group excellent.
Speaker 2: I've published on Yahoo Finance, so I'll share the link on the on Brown Ambition podcast dot com. We'll put on the Facebook page.
Speaker 1: But no, but it even just post it yourself because they would like travel is one of the number one things they would love that, so please share that. They're going to be like Mandy is this many.
Speaker 2: And it's it's written by a Nube before Nubes is how I feel because like all those miles like.
Speaker 1: The points guy, I'm like, I'm sure what you're saying true, but I don't know what you're talking.
Speaker 2: I'm like, here's the screenshot, here's where you go. You know.
Speaker 1: No, I'm gonna I want to read it.
Speaker 2: I'm excited, exciting stuff.
Speaker 1: So now it's time for question. So this week question it's from I'm as me get to Jamie.
Speaker 2: Jamie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, recently I got a new job in media New York.
Speaker 3: Woo woop.
Speaker 1: I've added the woop woop. After freelancing to pay the bills and relying on my mom to help, I'm so blessed to finally have a job at a company that I'm really excited to work for. The only end quote problem, I'm making a lot of money. That's not what they said.
Speaker 2: There's a crap ton of money.
Speaker 1: Yes, I have no idea where to begin, but I know that with a package that almost pulls me into six figures. Okay, so this person is making almost six figures. I need to be investing or doing something. How important important is it for me to work with an accountant? And how do I go about finding a good one? I have a small fear of getting an accountant that will see that I'm young and take advantage of me and my money. So Jamie, I'm so glad that she wanted to be financially responsible.
Speaker 2: Good problem to have.
Speaker 1: Yes, So one, I think that maybe you are misinterpreting what type of person you need and accountant is going to help you with your taxes and lower your tax burden. It sounds like to me you need more of a financial planner and a financial advisor.
Speaker 2: Maybe. Yes, Here's what I'll say about New York City, six figures ain't what it is in Atlanta, Georgia. So and I know a lot of people who make six figures and are not living any better than my little brother who's entry level sales in Georgia right now. So I feel like, one, you need to stop thinking about the six figures. First of all, you haven't earned it yet. It's a new job. You're not six figures yet. You know you're just earning your first good paycheck. Do have you been saving over this times? You have a saved You haven't said if you have a savings account yet or money set aside? There? Have you started investing in your company? Four one k if they offer one, I feel like you know you say you feel like you need to start investing, And I think people's mind automatically takes them to like Wall Street. Each trade, I need to be like trading, swapping stocks and buying Tesla stock and stuff like that. People forget that a four to one K isn't an investment. Yes, and at the very least, you should be mat you should. You should whatever your company matches you, you should be putting. So if they say, hey, Jamie, if you put five percent, we'll put five percent put up to at the very least what they're going to put up to, you know, or else you're really just leaving money on the table. Say it again. I started saving my four one K like four How old is that I'm getting on twenty I was twenty four, so that's been a little over five years now and I have just in that four to one K over forty thousand dollars just in five years. And that's just saving like my little ten percent and getting like a match here or there, and I watch it grow all the time. You know, I haven't even touched mine from Yahoo when I left in May, and it's getting like two thousand dollars this year, which is nuts, just you know, me sitting on my button doing nothing. So start investing in your four to one K. If you need help, you should be able to contact your four one K provider, if it's like a Vanguard or Schwab or td amor Trade or whatever. If you've ticked all those boxes right, I think that finding a financial planner could be super helpful if you want to know, you know, what next level, how to reach some like fun goals, starting a travel funds, And for that I'd say I have a financial planner. I found mine through one of these like planning networks. There's xy Planning, there's Garrett Planning Network. But even before I did that, I signed up for learn Vest and learned Vest started in two thousand and nine, and I think it's a pretty it's pretty solid, actually magnified money. We just had my reporter Brittany Laia just did learn Vest for three months, had a financial planner through them, and did an amazing review of learned Vest. So I'll post that for it and that to you, and it has a complete review. And the reason I like learn Vest is one, it's low cost, it's accessible financial planning advice. It's two hundred and ninety nine dollars up front, which I can say with experience having my financial planner is pretty standard. And then every month going forward you pay nineteen dollars a month, which is pretty good, not bad. And then you can access to them twenty four to seven. You have two planning sessions and they deliver you a whole financial plan that tells you how much you should be saving, how much you'll need for retirement.
Speaker 1: Do they tell you where to put your retirement fund in money or do you.
Speaker 2: Just I don't know if they've started doing like financially, but I don't know if they've started doing investment advice outside of four one.
Speaker 1: K okay, because I'll say they can say that. Sometimes you get confused about like what Like myself, I call myself a financial educator, meaning I don't sell financial services, you know, I'm just like, hey, this is what credit is, this is what dead is. Here's some tools that you can use to do that. Right. Then you have a financial planner, which looks at your life and totality and says, here's what you can do to reach those goals that you want to reach, but not just investing wise, but just savings and spending and that kind of stuff. And then you have a financial advisor. So legally to be called a financial advisor, you have to have certain certifications that allow you to make to make suggestions as it relates to investing in insurance. So you just want to know the wording is really important for what you're looking for. What me and Mandy are saying our planner and advisor or probably what you're looking for. Not to say you shouldn't have an accountant, but your accountant's job is to protect you as it relates to your taxes, you know, so just be mindful of like you know what it is that you're looking for, Jamie. But so hopefully we answered.
Speaker 2: Your question and just real quick since you brought it up. And that's a good point too, whether they do give investment advice or not. So my planner does. She's a certified financial advisor investment advisor and she's registered and you can check all that out. I'll even put some tips on how to how to do a background check on your financial advisor to make sure they're actually listed with the what is it the r R I a certified Registered Investment Advisor Okay, And there's something called broker broker Check through FINRA, which is the Financial something something industry regulator and authority. Sorry I don't know owe my accrodence, but it's broker check and you can plug in the name of your advisor and see if they pop up and it'll show. Like I mean, I don't think it's like the end all be all of you know, background checks, but it's a good at least you can tell hey, their license and they've actually been working for a while.
Speaker 1: So are we ready to wrap up with some wins. I have a quick win. Okay, I want to give this win to my friend Lucinda Cross. There's this new show on Centric, which is owned by VT. Centric is a is a network specifically for women of color. It's called Queen Boss and so Queen Boss is like Shark Tank for women of color. It's super awesome. You have this panel of dope women that have their own very successful businesses and then you have these these women that kind of come and pitch to them that also have businesses, but they have businesses that they're looking for advice and funding for. The funding is twenty five thousand dollars that they win at the end.
Speaker 2: If you should win, set price, yes and so.
Speaker 1: But it's been great because the women get the pitch and you get to learn about these awesome new businesses run by women of color. So my friend Lucinda Cross is on there. Her product was a vision board box and like you would take all these things out and create your own vision board. And so she was up against two other women and she moved forward to the semi final round as of last night. So it's really dope. It's just really honestly, all the women were amazing. So it's just it was positive programming. It wasn't negative. It wasn't It was just these are some women of color, they have businesses. They're picking the other women who are more successful than them, who are giving them great solid advice and who's back in centric ob So congratulations Lucinda.
Speaker 2: What's the vision board called? What's it called?
Speaker 1: It's called Activates Activate your vision? I think, I think so if you just look up Lucinda Cross, you can't miss it.
Speaker 2: Awesome. I win this week. Oh, I have a couple, but they're gonna be quick, I promise, Okay, one I don't know. I know the dream catchers are waiting. It's my fault. So I want to give a shout out to four year old Dahlia Aurana. She's a four year old who's read over a thousand and is like the baby boss of the Library of Congress. She's become an honorary librarian, got to go to the Capitol. Please just go google her. Dalia Aurana. She's like adorable. She's in like a little pink skirt suit like Hillary, and you just see her strutting. I can't believe she's four years old. She lives she's four going on like forty four, but go ahead, girl. And she's from Gainesville, Georgia, so yeah, Georgia. Who says we're not smart SAT scores nationally do But anyway, and another win real quick. So they released an honorary version of the the US. The US Men released a co commemorative one hundred dollars gold coin that features an image of a buck. Yes, I saw that as Lady Libery, which is pretty dope. And she's got braids and looks really cool. And they're apparently going to do versions depicting Asian Americans, Hispanic Americans, as Indian Americans. I want to collect them one as well, which is really cool. The coin's coming out April sixth, Financial Literacy only one of a wedding keft and my wins.
Speaker 1: Yes, I think we had. I feel like we had a good week.
Speaker 2: I had a great week. This was a quick show. You're welcome. You're probably like yay, not another an hour.
Speaker 1: And a half whatever, somebody's still doing bitious Like wait, I still have the pot left. I need you guys are still talk all right? We bid you ed zoo and if you are dreamcashure, we bid.
Speaker 2: You Hello and remember if you have questions concerns, please go to broad Ambition podcast dot com and while you're at it, just rooke what we need to. Please, please please ask you to leave us a review on iTunes. I recently noticed that we're falling in the ratings, not because we are getting any less downloads. In fact, January's been a record month for us and downloads, thank you so so much, But it's because we're not getting as many reviews as the other shows. So please, reviews actually matter. I've done this research iTunes favor shows I had more reviews. So you send us all the emails, all the tweets, all the Facebook messages, but please take time go to iTunes and leave us a review. However many stars you'd like, just leave one. Yes, we really really appreciate.
Speaker 1: We gonna do it. We're gonna do some sort of an incentive for you guys, like some sort of like contests.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that would be cool. We'll do another one.
Speaker 1: Yes, we did well, so you forgot to do it this week? Did alright?
Speaker 2: Alright, bye bye bye, alright