Speaker 1: The Times record.
Speaker 2: Bring we will sue you.
Speaker 3: To thank Tom's the Gunner.
Speaker 2: Welcome Flaming hang Out.
Speaker 3: Welcome to the Just Baseball Show. It is Thursday, July twenty third. That's arm Late and that's Paul Hem the Ketis and I am Peter Raffle and today a mock trade episode. On yesterday's show, arm Jack and Fink, they did a deadline prime or bring it up? Really the top fifty potential deadline movie again at this deadline. But here Hembo and I we ranked ten stars that we think are likely going to get traded, and both of us have a mock trade and we're gonna throw it over to Arum and he's going to decide who's got the best one. And it's all brought to you by bet MGM. Did your home run bet come up short? Thanks to this MLB no Sweat home run token, you don't have to worry if your bet didn't clear the fences. Just activate your token when you bet on any player to hit a home run in any MLB game, and if that player fails to go yard, you'll get your stake back in bonus bets. Remember to use code just Baseball on bet MGM, because again, if your first pick loses, you get it all back at bonus bets up to fifteen hundred bucks. Hembo, you and I have been texting all morning, all yesterday, and really over the past week because we cannot be more excited for this episode.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right. My wife is currently away on assignment for work, so I've got three girls under the age of four for like five days. I have spent an irresponsible amount of time preparing for this, considering the responsibilities that I have at home. But the only thing that matters is that we win here. I mean, I'm not looking to compete. I'm not going to win. An arbiter arm over there who's looking like just so to my ore in the mid nineties, is gonna take that job. Really seriously, I can assure.
Speaker 4: You, I'm just here for equitable trades. That's all I care about, is just equitable trades.
Speaker 3: As as the fanos on top of the throne, the arbiter, explain how you're going to judge our trades, because you're not just choosing the prospect package that has better prospects. Because if Heimbo and I were to make those trades, we would just overpay for everything so we could win this quote unquote episode. How are you going to be judging our mock trades?
Speaker 4: I think I'm just gonna pick the trades where I know both fan bases are going to be mad. But now I think it's one where that if I was in the GM seat of either side, I would painfully say send it in and like grip.
Speaker 1: My teeth and do it right.
Speaker 4: And I think it's it really comes down to, like what should the asking price? What's a fair asking price for this player on the big league side? And was that asking price met do I think? And which was closest to that? And you know, maybe some of that will be skewed where I may value you know, a prospect a little bit more, and that's the fun part of it. The other side is where I want to make sure we get like even, and I'll probably throw in some calibration questions is our value of these big leaguers? But I think that's important too, like how much are we weighing control with certain guys? How much are weighing which I thought was great in the last episode, how much these guys have to get paid, like treks Google's salary for the rest of the year is not something that you can just gloss over. Because he's really good at pitching. It matters.
Speaker 1: So it's all things that definitely want to bake into the equation.
Speaker 3: And let's say that both of our packages are tied. Will you then will the type breaker be your favorite fit? Like, for example, if you like the package with said team just a little bit more, even if the prospect returns are equal.
Speaker 1: I'll go fit and likelihood.
Speaker 4: If you're giving me like a Brewers deal that will never happen, I might. I might just end up not making the cut if it's like if it's a Brewers deal versus a Preller deal, going to lean towards the pre Er deal.
Speaker 3: And hembo, You and I discussed this too offline. We said, you know, there's a lot of trade deadline podcast episodes. A lot of people cover the trade deadline, and a lot of people do it really well, but you don't see a lot of all, right, you think that this guy's going to get traded, Who is going to get traded and to who, and really narrowing it down to what we think is going to be a likely package for these ten guys at the deadline. And again, these ten players, not only on Jeff Passon's article, are they forty percent or higher likelihood to get trade, but we think it's probably closer to sixty percent. And every player here is good. So we're not just thrown around random names. These are ten stars we really think are going to get traded.
Speaker 2: No, I'm, for all intentsive purposes, pretending to be the GM of all thirty teams across baseball over the next hour, and I'm confident that I'm going to win this whatever it is, quote card contest, whatever we're going to call it, let's.
Speaker 3: Call it a cool card contest. All right, let's break straight into it, and we're going to start at the very top. Terrek Scooble mock trades for Trek Scooble, Hembo. You are our esteemed guest, our friend, So of course the first mock trade for Terrek Scooble goes to you.
Speaker 2: I'm sending Tara Scooble to the Tampa Bay Rays. That might surprise a lot of people within the side of my voice. But if not. Now, when Steo Epstein once famously said, we know the system has become absolutely stacked down, there. You know that the American League is clearer right now the path to winning it than it's been for many, many years. And this is a club that's only won it twice in its history. It has a clear path they're doing so right now. They've loaded up in the draft, most recently drafting Grady Emerson. They made out like a bandit last year when they traded Shane Bosse. My package as as follows, it's a loaded package. They're going to send Cooper Fleming, and they're going to send Brody Hopkins to Detroit in exchange for Tarrett schouble In. What was You know, probably you could consider the least Rays like move that you could ever make. But like I said, I think time is of the essence, and given the fact that they're operating from a position of strength, that's what I'm sending into our arbiter.
Speaker 3: So I like it hard not to like the Rays because I have a couple players on this list headed to the Rays. I think we're all aligned that the Rays are going to be one of the most active teams at this deadline. They got money to spend, they got a new owner, They're atop the American League East. I like what you said, Heimbo if not now went, and they're in a great position to pounce on a guy like Tarek Scooble. But another team that is in maybe a better spot to go get Trek Scouble is the LA Dodgers. And it's obvious, but sometimes the obvious answer is the right one. And my package is Headler by Zayr Hope, one of the four elite outfield prospects on the LA Dodgers that they would not feel if he were to go. Obviously incredible prospect, But when you look at the current Dodger situation, I think they're okay if they only have three elite outfielders and then you give up Emma Sheen, who's an MLB ready arm right now can slot directly into the Tiger's rotation has always had really good stuff bounced in between the bullpen and the rotation for the Dodgers, and that's mostly because the Dodgers are just so freaking good. And I understand you saying, well, did the Dodgers really need to do this? Look at how good their team is right now. The Dodgers' rotation with Tyler Glass now on the shelf and Blake Snell on the shelf. It's not as daunting of a rotation as we might be used to, or if you haven't been watching Dodger baseball recently, you might not have realized that. It's kind of Yoshinoba Yamamoto, Justin Robleski, Emmett Shean, Roki Sasaki, and Eric Lauer. So I'm not saying they need a pitcher. Dave Roberts even came out and said, we don't really need anything. We might be sellers over buyers, and I agree with him. However, in this deal, even though it's an overpay, they don't feel it. And if the Dodgers truly want a three P you get Trek Skouoble good Night, and all it costs is Emmett Shean and one of your four elite outfielders. I think this might even be a stronger package than what the Rays could give him. But Arum, you're the arbiter.
Speaker 4: You tell me so, I think both of these are like fair packages here and in previous years I'd say, well, obviously the Dodgers are more likely to do this like no way the Rays do it. But for all the things that Hemba laid out, I think it's important to note that also the financial aspect is not as much of a factor for the Rays, I think with ownership and the message that they want to send generally speaking as well. And I think when you're just looking at what we've got as my video.
Speaker 1: Just goes out, I have no idea what happened there.
Speaker 4: But when we think about it from that lens, I just I think it's a tough gauge because the funniest part is are I can't decide if the Dodgers are playing koy right now and just deciding that they don't want to set the market, or if it's one of those situations where they actually just don't want to make that kind of move like they because anytime you make this trade, it's going to be a model defying move, right Like it's always going to say not worth it, not worth it, not worth it. And I wonder if the Dodgers this is the one time with where they're at position like in terms of where they're at, that they don't want to defy the model. At the same time, we haven't seen the Rays really do this do this in.
Speaker 1: A little bit now. And I go back and forth, but.
Speaker 4: I think this is a tiebreaker of likelihood, and with the way and the messaging that we're hearing from the Dodgers, unless it's all like a trick, like they don't want to set the market, they're just saying this, I think the Rays are more likely to do it. And if the Rays make this trade, Brody Hopkins is the most frustrating pitching prospect for me in baseball right now. He's either six perfect with ten k's or he walks six. But the upside there is so amens. He's already in tripa A. Fleming is a hit first, left handed hitting infielder, which I think is the number one addiction of this Tiger's front office in Scott Harris. So I think I know that's why I had both threw him in there. Shean is gonna hit ARB next year, but I think they would love to throw him in there and have him in the rotation the Tigers. But they're also in a spot now where it's like you're trying to find a spot for a couple guys that are really throwing the ball.
Speaker 1: Well, I go Zire Hope doesn't.
Speaker 4: Totally fit what they typically like, but he has been destroying the ball and I think they need an outfielder or left in a hitting outfielder in the fold there would help a little bit more.
Speaker 1: This is probably the toughest one.
Speaker 3: But I'm going to answer before you answer, Hambo. I think we did a good job here, because you can't decide. It's like pick it between, you know, a really good New York strip and a really good Ribbi. It's what are you more in the mood for? In the mood for a little bit more fat on your steak or you want to go a little bit healthier, a little bit leaner ar them.
Speaker 4: I'm going to go with the one I actually think is more likely, which is crazy, and it's the Rays. I think I'm going to go with the Rays on this one, but it's also because I want to see the race makes splash. But I think the Dodgers messaging is just unless it's all bullshit, I just don't see him doing this.
Speaker 3: Question for you real quick. In the two players from the Rays and the Dodgers, what package do you think is better? Just in a vacuum.
Speaker 1: In a vacuum, it's it's the Dodgers package.
Speaker 3: Okay, so you think you think the Dodgers if the Tiger said, we want zay R Hope and Emma Shean instead of what the Rays and the Dodgers wouldn't feel that. You still think.
Speaker 4: It's more I don't think they're gonna you know, I always I kind of reject the like wouldn't feel that thing the more I've thought about it, because it's like, of course you feel it.
Speaker 1: It's a really good player.
Speaker 4: So if you're giving up a really good two really good players for a rental, no matter how many you have, you could have a hundred of them. You could have moved them for something else. So I think the Dodgers package bad better. But I also think Scott Harris may value Fleming just as close as Hope, who knows and and the upside of Hopkins as a guy that hasn't even started as big League clock yet could be more appealing. Or Harris may just want to plug in a guy into the rotation next year, but he'll be an RB already, So that's one of the only other drawbacks too.
Speaker 3: Hambo takes a one to zero lead you he go there.
Speaker 2: The whole point was the watch rum just twist himself and not for the last five minutes and still not feel confident in his answer. So we did our job there for sure. So as far as off, we both won the Terror Schooble trade.
Speaker 3: Should we take a draw? Now you won, arm picked you, you won. It's one zero hembo that we move over to Michael Waka. Not quite Trek Scooble, but a damn good pitcher. And he's pitched to a mid to low threes era and it feels like for the last decade, and he comes with one and a half years of control and a club option in twenty twenty eight. So I don't think necessarily that he's going to have like it's going to be cheap to go get a Michael Waka. I know the underlying metrics aren't great, but he has some postseason success under his belt. Like, this is a really good sound pitcher is on the older end, but any team would be I think jumping for joy to bring Michael Waka in hemball. Throw it over to you again. You're going first, my friend, the package mock trades for Michael Waka.
Speaker 2: I'm saying Michael Waka to the Chicago Cubs because Michael Waka represents every single thing that they need in their rotation. Namely consistency, namely durability. I don't view him as a frontline starter. I view him more as a mid rotation starter based upon those two notions, his consistency and his durability. He's among the very best mid rotation starters in all of ball and there's nothing that the Cubs need right now more than average, if not slightly above average innings eating. That's exactly what he provides. I don't think that the market is going to be that hot for him. Candidly, I don't think the industry views him as being much more than what I just described. But look, desperate times in Chicago call for desperate measures, and he's someone that you could absolutely pencil in the start Game three of a postseason series. The package is this, I'm sending two prospects. I'm sending King Kepley, a twenty two year old center fielder, and I'm sending Caleb Wing, a nineteen year old right handed pitcher. It's going to be a two for one Chicago to Kansas City as the Royals do whatever it is tearing down that they do here before the deadline, which of course is absolutely necessary considering the way that their season has been tanked.
Speaker 3: When you look at this package, I'm gonna value Michael Waka a little bit higher than you are. And that'll that's why it's good that Arms here as kind of that balancing act. But again, Michael Waka just continues to shove, Like, how many more seasons of a mid three cra eating one hundred and seventy two hundred and eighty innings do we have to see before we call him at least a really solid number three in a playoff rotation. And I think for a really solid three in a playoff rotation, you're gonna have to give up a little bit more. And I would also say the Braves might need him even more than the Cubs do. I was shocked to see this that innings from starters on both the Cubs and the Braves. Brave starters have thrown less innings than Cubs starters have this year. The Braves are in desperate need of a guy to solidify this rotation. Because you have Chris Sale at the top, that's awesome. We're still waiting on Spencer Schwellenbach. Strider is hurt and I don't really know what the update is on him. And after that it's Waldrop, Ranaldo Lopez, Martin Perez. I think the Braves desperately need a guy who can routinely give them six innings of two to three run ball, and I think it's going to cost number one Owen Murphy, who's already been up to the Big league's twenty year old first round pick in twenty twenty two. He's a really solid prospect. And then Alex low Diese, twenty two year old in a ball having a good season. He was his second round pick in twenty twenty five. So that's my offer. I think it's steeper than Hembo's offer, but I think Michael Waka deserves it, so arm you're the arbiter, does he deserve it?
Speaker 1: Couple of Michael Waka things. I think his contract's fascinating.
Speaker 4: This is the most expensive year that you'll have of three years of control, or I guess two more after this, so two and a quarter, and then it's fourteen mil next year, which I mean you're getting him for eight million less than the qoh no problem, and then fourteen million the year after that. He does hit a lot of incentives that'll probably end up driving him closer to fifteen sixteen million because they're all innings based incentives, but great thing, sign up for it. I have one problem with him post package, and this might be me over valuing, kind of like the state of the Org. But the Cubs have eight thousand hitting prospects and they have two I think really.
Speaker 1: Relevant pitching prospects at this point.
Speaker 4: One is Jackson Wiggins, who's been banged up most of the year, and the other is Caleb Wing. And Wing is striking out what thirteen fourteen per nine. He's still at the lower levels, a lot of time to figure things out. But I do wonder like you trade I mean, obviously you have the guy you just drafted in Kaid Townsend as well, and that helps. But entering the draft, that's where you stood. Do you want to trade a little bit of that pitching depth with for a vet arm. He is controllable and so maybe that would be worth it for them. I don't know. I love King Kane Kepley, and I think he would fit. I could glove out there and his power would play out out there. And I think he's one of the most underrated prospects in baseball. Great defender. I think he's already got forty five bags this year in eighty three games, he's only been caught four times. Sneaky pop, really fun player. I'm trying to think too of what the Royals would want here, and I don't see this as a team that I think with where they're at, I don't know if they want guys that are further off. I do wonder if they want guys that can kind of help them a little bit more quickly, because I imagine maybe they feel like they're not as far off as the record may suggest. Where do you stand on that, Henm, But what do you think the Royals feel right now about where they're at? Maybe going into twenty seven?
Speaker 2: Somewhat delusionally, I think the Royals are teetering on an Angels like sort of worldview of themselves, which I think is very dangerous and very damaging. I personally see a system that is devoid of talent, not just at the lower levels, not just at the upper levels, but in the big leagues two like this is in my judgment, if you were to just stack surplus across organizations, they're going to be in the bottom third for sure, if not even worse than that. I don't see much talent here. I think this team is much closer to a full on, full fledged rebuilder, at least reset than most people realize. Yes, we remember fondly than making the playoffs a couple of years ago. Yes, we all love Bobby Wood Junior and what we've seen from CAGs, what we've seen from Carter Jensen. But it's a roster that doesn't make much sense now because they're young bats. They're veteran arms that are somewhat expensive that aren't that wiffy. Many of those pitchers are out performing their peripherals because the ballpark is so friendly. I'm just not right now a big fan of where this organization is, and so I think what they should be doing is operating under the assumption that we're going to build out our roster for the twenty twenty eight and twenty twenty nine season, not try and microwave any success. But that's just my two cents.
Speaker 1: I agree with you wholeheartedly. But do you think that it will do.
Speaker 2: I think that's much less likely than what I just said, because I think they have a few of themselves much closer to the team that hung the Yankees in the playoffs. A couple of seasons ago, which to me is totally a distant memory.
Speaker 4: Other funny thing, I think I side with Peter a little bit about Waka being a little bit more valuable, But EMBO's package was actually so like savvy, like upside prospect guy rankings haven't caught up yet that I actually think the packages were pretty much the same, like they're pretty equitable. However, I think the Royals delusion makes this a more likely Peter package here, where they're gonna say, let's plug Owen Murphy, which I hate the fit by the way, Owen Murphy in a verty fastball in that ballpark.
Speaker 1: I think they're going to overlook that.
Speaker 4: They're going to say, we've got a right hander that we can plug right into our rotation immediately, and he's going to help us next year as well. And we get an infield bat that we can maybe develop a little bit more as well, so we bolster the system and we get a guy that can help us this year with six years of control and next year, I should say, with six years of control.
Speaker 1: I think they look at your lower.
Speaker 4: Level prospects, Embo and say we're too close to competing for that.
Speaker 3: Timbo I won this one but at what cost? Because what Aram just said is like Peter's trade is dumber exactly with what the Boils are going to do. Like you you out intelligence to me, And I'm like, I use that because that's not even a word. You outdid me.
Speaker 2: I mean, you saying you out intelligence to me is just perfect for so many reasons there. I think arms right, I think generally speaking, I think generally speaking, they view themselves much closer to the top of the mountain, for lack of a better term, than they actually are. And I think some of the scuttle that you've heard clean out of the reporting to suggest like they'd only move Waka or Lugo if for a king's ransom demonstrates the fact that they feel that way that they could be back into things next year. Guys, the American League is quite literally as weak as it's been in thirty years. If you're not going to be competitive in twenty twenty six up until a couple of weeks ago with Bobby Whit playing at an MVP level, Let's be honest, guys, you're really not that close. And let's not pretend here that this is the Milwaukee Brewer system that's brimming with young talent ready to explode next year. This is a two or three years away situation in Kansas City.
Speaker 4: I hate to inform you, yep, I think you're right, but I think Peters is the realistic swap here. And he plugs right in for Randy Dobnack potentially, So you know that's a team that's close to competing.
Speaker 3: This is actually one of my worst wins of all time. I literally got a win because of number all Right, let's go over to Freddy Peralta. Mock trades for Freddie Peralta. This one was tough hembo because again he was traded for Brandon Sprote and Jet Williams from the Brewers of the Mets this offseason, the Mets saying getting close to that. So this is really a gauge on how do you value Freddie Peralta. So mock trade number one goes to you.
Speaker 2: This is really a gauge of can you get more for Freddy Peralta?
Speaker 3: Right now?
Speaker 2: Then you're gonna get for a fourth round pick, which is approximately what the Mets would receive in return, because there, of course a taxpayer if they were to give him the QO and he were to walk arm correct me if I'm wrong, but that's not gonna be all that palatable of a player either, which is why I think that they are likely to move him, because you can probably do at least a little better than that, given the number of buyers on the market. Yeah, I'm sending him in his three million dollar contract to Arizona for the rest of the season. I mean, we know he's not pitching well right now. It's a true talent era somewhere between four and a half and five. Maybe they can squeeze more life out of him. Maybe they can't, but they desperately need the innings. I'm gonna send over Yenceel Luis, a twenty one year old shortstop boy I know very little about, but I watch a little bit of video and know that he's blocked by Tommy Troy and Casey Cunningham and JD.
Speaker 1: Dix.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure there's an obvious place for him to play in that organization. Maybe the can Mets can make something of him, and maybe Freddy Perolta can catch lightning in a bottle and give the Arizona Diamondbacks a dozen good starts and try and push their way to the wild.
Speaker 3: Card, another player that I think Hambo you and I are valuing a little bit differently. Arm of the trade from the Brewers. How many cents on the dollar is this?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: How much is this? Ew?
Speaker 4: I'm trying to account for Tobias Myers as well, but this is like thirty twenty twenty cents on the dollar, fifteen cents on the dollar.
Speaker 3: I agree. I like Freddy Perlta has not pitched well. Like everything that Hembo said I get, I understand, but at the end of the day, it's Freddy Peralta, Like you got to have some hope that he can bounce back in some meaningful way and maybe pitch to a four ERA down the stretch, and maybe he could give you a good postseason start. Like maybe I'm fishing, But it's just hard for me to give up on a guy like Freddy Peralta. It really is. It's not like my trade is huge either. I understand that he's a rental, but I want to send him over to the Chicago Cups an arm. You already said that they have a glut of offensive prospects and long and James Treanto's these are two guys we've kind of floated in deals in mock trades for the Cubs for a while now, just because they're both blocked. Jonathan Long is twenty four year old who has put up great offensive numbers at every stop. It's a first baseman completely blocked by Michael Bush. James Treanto's if he wasn't blocked by Nico Horner before, he's certainly blocked by Alex Bragman. Now, I just don't know where these guys are gonna play. And Trianto seems like a fine offensive piece. I feel like he's more of a bench bat. But at least you have two guys twenty four years old, solid offensive prospects who could potentially help the Mets. Now, I feel.
Speaker 1: Like this is.
Speaker 3: Sixty cents on the dollar fifty cents on the dollar, and that's where I think I'm valuing Freddy Perlta right now. But the question goes over to you areum, how do you value Freddy pearlta.
Speaker 1: So it's interesting.
Speaker 4: I think this is one of those where like in a vacuum, probably slight overpay and eye land somewhere in the middle. Think a little bit more than Hembo, a little bit less than where you're at Pete. But this is a Cubs team that, like they just brought up Treanto's coincidentally, they called him up today. I don't think it's to go play, you know, prominent big league role is just gonna plug in because he's already on the forty.
Speaker 1: He's already on the forty, though, is the point.
Speaker 4: And I believe Jonathan Long has to be added to the forty after this year. Weird wrinkle though, because we might have the Rule five draft canceled. That was what we had last time. But I don't know if a team's going to make a decision based on that, like, oh, well, we don't have to protect him. I think you're still gonna be worried and saying we might have to protect this guy. And it's something that you consider because the Cubs are already pretty stockpiled with prospects on their forty man as is, so I think they'd probably like to clear a couple of spots, whether it's gonna be the future forty man or or this year. And I think Treanto's, to your point, is his blocked as can be if they're not gonna move Matt Shaw, especially like very very very blocked there. I almost think with Hembo's package, like if the Mets really like then maybe it's different. But the Mets version of the QO, because it would be like a fourth round pick, is as you like, it's pretty worthless at the same time, so it is still.
Speaker 1: Better than the QO.
Speaker 4: But I think somebody that is going to be desperate and offer up a little bit more than that and beat that package. And I think a Cubs team that can trade a forty man prospect that's been blocked and another guy that has no path that swing it well, and you think about the fit for the Mets, you go trade Mark Vantos and you bring in Jonathan Long and Long can go play some first base, and they're kind of looking for their guy at first base anyways, and at worst, you know he's a short platoon guy. Forty plugs right in next year, and Treonto's plugs right in next year as well, So it's kind of this now and later move.
Speaker 1: I side with with Peter here.
Speaker 4: I think I think Peralta, even despite the struggles, is more valuable than a guy that had probably put it like ten the ten range in an average diamondback system.
Speaker 2: Have both thoughts on this, and that's a lot to give up for five era, Freddy, that's a lot. It is a lot for him. He's gonna get his tits lit at regularly field that heginues to pitch like this, guys. I mean, it's gonna be a lot like like Shoda in some of those starts where he's trying to hump it at the top of the zone and he's not beating you to the spot and that ninety three is winding up into the basket. So I won't be surprised if some team overpays. But for that package, I think the Cubs can likely or find a better starting pitcher down the stretch run than Freddy Peralta, who's just to me not remotely reliable in in a playoff context.
Speaker 1: At the moment, the thing I think, oh real quick, just the.
Speaker 3: Wind blows in more wriggly than I think people give it credit towards. It seems like when there is wind, sixty five to seventy percent of the time the wind is blowing in. That's why Showed is having a pretty damn good season. Yeah, but he does have those years where or those arts where he gives up nine homers. But Freddy is a guy who maybe a trade to the Cubs could invigorate him a little bit more when he's going up against the Brewers in the playoffs. He also has really good numbers throughout his career at Wrigley, so that's another good sign he's comfortable in this division. Like if there was a bounce back spot, I do, and the Cubs are really good at developing pitching. I think that this could be really good. It's maybe a stretch. I think they're good at developing pitching. I think this could be a good landing spot if Freddy were to bounce back pitch a little bit.
Speaker 4: I also just like I don't think trans has had a much better year this year. I don't think he's very valuable at the end of the day, and Long is the first baseman that has to hit. So I think these guys, like for other teams that are in more rebuild rebuild mode, I'd rather have the lower level prospect that has higher upside. But I think with where the Mets are at, they may rather have these upper miners guys that they can plug in sooner rather than later.
Speaker 2: You think, Arizona, do you think Arizona is a decent enough match if I if.
Speaker 4: I, I I love and that was the thing is I think if the package was a little bit better, even though I know it's like I I trying to and I could be wrong here, this could be this could be faults on the arbiter. One of the hardest, I would say, one of the most difficult players assess the trade value of going into this deadline as if he has one or two good starts. I think it's enough to tease a team to say there he is right yea, and in compare it to like another rental reliever with similar a rental starter with with similar numbers, like Brady Singer has similar numbers right now, I don't even think it's close, so you'd rather have down the stretch. But it's also an indictment on him that I'm mentioning that Brady Singer has similar numbers.
Speaker 1: So how do you value this guy? I think it's really hard.
Speaker 4: I love the Diamondbacks fit though, because I think I think they don't want to give up any anything crazy, and I don't think there's gonna be a controllable starter that will work with them in terms of a trade package unless something really unique comes comes up, and I think they still will want to do something enough to where they can add a starter that could hopefully turn it around and take that shot. Like Hazan's not risk averse at all. So I do love the fit. But if it was like JD. Dix, like someone like Sean Don who was said in the comments, I decided with you.
Speaker 3: So I'm taking a two one lead. We got to move through these mock trades a little bit quicker. We're already thirty minutes in and we only got Hembo for an hour. We got seven deals left, so we're gonna take our first break here from Hampton Farms, and then we got seven more mock trades on Deck podcast. Pe Can we hear from Peanuts?
Speaker 1: Some peanuts show up for batting practice. Hampton Farms.
Speaker 4: Super extra large peanuts show up for the home run derby the Roasted Big for bold flavor and a crunch that won't quit.
Speaker 1: They come in four unique flavors, simply.
Speaker 4: Salted sweet honey, hot honey, or cracked pepper and sea salt. Bigger size, Bigger flavor, made for sharing. Take twenty five percent off your super extra large Peanuts order at Hamptonfarms dot com with code just Baseball. That's one where just baseball at Hampton Farms dot Com for twenty five percent off.
Speaker 3: Next man up Lukewaver mock trades one and a half years of control for Weaver. I think, outside of Mason Miller, who we are going to do a mock trade for later, is the best reliever available. And he's not a rental right, and he's it's a pretty good contract too. I think he's going to be pretty damn valuable. Hembo, you're mock trade for Luke Weaver. Yeah, I don't see it quite that way.
Speaker 2: I'm a little bit lower on a lot of these guys, it seems than you are, mostly because it's seventeen million dollars across the next two years, which, given how well he pitches, of course, and what you expect from him down the stretch and next year, is more than a good value, you might say, But there just aren't that many teams that I think that would be willing and eager to take on that entire contract, just based upon what we know about reliever volatility in some of his own individual volatility. All that being said, I'm sending him back to the Yankees, who obviously have a comfort and a familiarity with them, a team that I think does really need an eighth inning guy that they can really rely upon before handing the baseball to David Bednar. We know that Brian Cashman is one who likes to pick up relievers with years of control. This is obviously a perfect example of that. I'm going to build a package here around Henry Lelane, that twenty two year old lefty of theirs, who's six foot seven. I'm not quite sure if that's enough to get this done, but he's someone whom I view as as having these amount of upside based on the body, based on the trajectory, of course, and potentially someone that David Starns can dream on. Meanwhile, they can take on that entire seventeen million dollar contract across the next two years, hand in the baseball in the eighth inning, and feel fairly good about doing so anytime that they do so.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just think I value Luke Weaver a little bit higher than you, and arguably a lot higher. I think he is among the handful of the best relievers in Major League Baseball. I really do. I think he's been phenomenal this season, and I think he's been asked to do a lot in this Mets pen. He's coming in every situation you could possibly imagine. And this is also a continuation. This isn't Luke Weaver who is now having a good season. Luke Weaver has been one of the better relievers in baseball now over the past what what is it? Arm three seasons.
Speaker 4: Free with a little bit of turbulence last year, but still like the underlying was good and yeah, fine, Air.
Speaker 3: I think that the Yankees are a great fit. I think they'd have to give up more, especially because this reliever market it's pretty weak. There's not a lot of top end guys that these teams can go after. And when I look at every single reliever trade that ends up happening at the deadline him. But what's our reaction, Well, that's an overpay. Well, that's pay Well, they're all overpays, like we just we got to get used to it. It's almost like in free agency when a guy gets way more money than we thought, and then so does the next guy. These guys are just more expensive. I think Luke Weaver is gonna get the Mets the top one hunderd prospect at the end of all and let me, let me explain, my, my, my. I talked to Ryan Finkelstein and that's what he was expecting. And then I pitched this player over to Lyle and TJ of the Marien Layer podcast, and they both said, they're a little bit lower on this guy, but he is still quote unquote un arms top one hundred. And that's Zara Montes for Luke Weaver straight up. Now you look at lazarro Mantes and you say that guy could lead major League Baseball in homers, but there's a reason arm that he ranks eighty four on your top one hundred. Doesn't have much of a position, and he's striking out thirty one percent of the time in the minors. He strikes out so much, so you have the upside of a guy who could at thirty to forty homers, but you also have the downside of a guy who's never going to make enough contact to be an everyday guy. But you have that high end tool, which makes him again a borderline or end of the top one hundred guy. I don't think the Mariners would feel it. He's a great piece, but Luke Weaver is perfect for the Mariner's bullpen comes with a year and a half of control, like I said, and after Munos, the rity that has to do a lot of the work in the Mariners bullpen is Bizardo, who's good but not great, and they have two solid lefties. But a righty reliever like this goes right behind Munos sets this bullpen up so well. Maybe it's an overpay, but I thought to myself, every reliever trade feels like an overpay to me, and both our Mets guy and our Maritors guy loved it, so I'm presenting it to them.
Speaker 4: So I was just on the Marine layerpod explaining why I think Las Monts is one of the most overrated prospects in a really long time, and Mariners fans in particular seem to have levels of delusion with him, and I feel bad because I wanted to succeed.
Speaker 1: I think he'd be really good.
Speaker 4: There's a ton of power, but like to fifty eight percent, maybe it's gotten up to sixty percent contact rate in the minor leagues, which would mean he would need to improve his contact right in the major leagues to be like at the barrier of entry. Even for the most powerful of power bats, right, So that's where it's interesting. At the same time, it's been interesting how much the Mariners have held on to allow Monts to this point, So like, do you hold on to him to this point and then at triple A trade him for a reliever that you still have to pay anyways, is the interesting point. And we talked about it in the last episode, and I thought, I've kind of waffled back and forth on what the value of Luke Lever could be because I think as a reliever he's one of the best that you're going to be able to acquire at this deadline.
Speaker 1: But at the same time, like.
Speaker 4: Thirteen million dollars next year, plus you know whatever else you're taking on this year. You had the exact number, right, how about was it fourteen total or fifteen total?
Speaker 2: So you're taking about I've got seventeen million from this day forward across the next two years. I mean, that's that is a pretty penny, even if you're paying for someone who you trust implicitly in the identity.
Speaker 4: That's my only concern is I'm just trying to think how many teams are going to just line up to take that on.
Speaker 1: I do wonder about the optics.
Speaker 4: As funny as that is, but the way the Mariners have packaged Lazaro Montes to their fans is this where you cash in? Is this where you do it? That's where I have a little bit of doubt. I love Henry Lallane. I think he's he's really interesting and and just getting healthy has been huge for him. Positionless slugger or left handed pitching that who's in Triple A or left handed pitching prospect at the lower levels.
Speaker 1: This is like a crazy.
Speaker 4: Brain twister, and I think he's I think the value somewhere in between these these two packages. But because the last one, like I almost think you you went to brain blast here, Peter, and I think it's just it's overwhelming me. I'm going to go with the lower level upside arm and and go with the keeping Luke Weaver in New York where he clearly likes being and and I'm going to go with HIMBO on this one.
Speaker 3: Love it too too. Let's move over to Robbie Ray Rental. You get him for the rest of the season, but he's putting up an awesome year one hundred plus innings, low three z Ra underlying metrics might not love him, but he's a rental good picture staple, right, kind of like Michael Waka just comes with less years of control. He can get you a bunch of strikeouts, you can start a playoff game. You feel good about Robbie Ray. Hembo mock trades for Robbie Ray.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you sent Michael Wakat to Atlanta. I'm sending Robbie Ray to Atlanta. He's got nine million dollars remaining that you owe him, and I think I think we're going to get fairly creative here. Yes, I agree with you. You trust him in a playoff context? Do you prefer if he starts game three for you? If he has to start game two, you feel decent about it, so long as jord On Alvarez, of course, is not on the other end. The peripherals obviously not great, but good enough, like you said, to feel good about that situation. We're gonna get a interesting though with this package, and I'm dying to see how our arbiter reacts to it. What I'm gonna do here is present a scenario in which the Giants are effectively going to buy prospects from the Braves and Here's what I mean. The Braves are gonna send Sean Murphy in the thirty six million dollars that they still owe him. They also have a fifteen million dollar team option in twenty twenty nine. So that's his side of things. There's sending Sean Murphy to the Giants in addition to John Heel who's a twenty year old shortstop and Briggs McKenzie, a nineteen year old left handed pitcher. It's a three for one Robbie wait right, excuse me, Robbie Ray a rental going to Atlanta to be their number two or number three starter. In exchange, you're going to absorb a pretty underwater contract at this point. Maybe Buster Posey wild like to have an adult in his catcher room, and they're going to take on a couple of prospects that are it sounds like you're awfully intrigued to hear me say the names allowed.
Speaker 4: Is this also an like when you're theorizing this, Is this a clear up room for the Braves to make another move as well?
Speaker 2: Not necessarily, but this is a move for the Braves to do. Is have some financial flexibility to get rid of the Sean Murphy contract, whom they've held on to for much too long. But Buster Posey does all sorts of erratic things. I think this is a scenario in which he's going to get himself a couple prospects and be willing to take on a contract when he has no catcher in the organization right now because he gave away, because he gave away Patrick Mayley to Cleveland for very little, for reasons that are still unbeknownst to me. Ultimately, it's a very bizarre trade, and it's not the kind of thing that you know, we're gonna send Robbie Ray for a player or two in the minor leagues. Who's gonna watch our match our model? Excuse me, I wanted to get creative here. I think the Sean Murphy contract is kind of a wild card that the Braves could play.
Speaker 3: So I like that idea, and I think the Sean Murphy wrinkle is fascinating. Mine is much more standard, but it's not for a standard team. I've Robby Ray going over to the Chicago White Sox, and we've talked about the White Sox that they should be buying with control. But I also think you could flip that narrative on its head and say, well, you'd have to trade away some pretty damn good prospects in order to get players with control. So is it such a bad idea to fill a big need for the White Sox and not trade away any prospects of note in doing so. So I really looked at the Merrill Kelly trade from twenty twenty five to the Rangers. It's like a veteran guy who you trust. Underlying metrics aren't gonna love these guys, but they're solid. So that's kind of the blueprint that I used from the Chicago White Sox. So yours is much more creative. Mine's pretty straightforward, and it's these three prospects. You got David Sandlin, who's twenty five years old, has been up to Major League Baseball. You got Kyle Lodez, who's a twenty two year old, decent season in High A, who's a third round pick in twenty twenty five, and arm you're gonna have to help him.
Speaker 1: I will on the edge of my seat for the Javier. I think it's mcgillion.
Speaker 3: Mcgollion. Let's go with the guyant, twenty year old ten ops and high a good runner, solid power. I actually worked with our guy, Elijah Evans, the host of the Future Socks podcast, is a great job covering the White Sox, and he felt this was a fair deal in exchange for Robbie Ray.
Speaker 4: This is where it's interesting. So the Braves, So the Braves will love Briggs mackenzie. No guy, Now, do they want to attach Briggs McKenzie in his salary?
Speaker 1: Dumb? Is my concern.
Speaker 4: The other thing though, is I don't know if the White Sox want to trade prospects period for a rental like even and I know that these aren't like huge pieces or anything like that.
Speaker 3: Elijah did say that they'd theoretically be open to it, but you're right, I think it's like, that's not the answer.
Speaker 1: To the question. There's seven over five hundred.
Speaker 4: There's seven over five hundred now, and like if you're if you're having around seven to ten over five hundred at the deadline in this state of the American League, maybe the plan changes a little bit for guys that you know, at the end of the day are not going to Sanduin could be one that you regret when he's in a sick, high leverage reliever or whatever.
Speaker 1: But like I don't know. I don't think it's as big of a deal.
Speaker 4: I want to give Himbo so many creativity points, so because I think that's a brilliant trade.
Speaker 1: I My only problem with it is that he attached a.
Speaker 4: Guy that, by all indications is one of the favorites in this Brave system that they've been super careful with, kind of had the baby gloves on, just rolled him out there. I've been really impressed with what he's been doing early on here, and you know, the Braves are like the classic how do they get this guy? Where'd he come from? Mackenzie has the potential to be the latest example of that. He also has the potential to walk too many guys, But so far this year looks pretty sharp. I don't think they're going to attach him in a salary dump, as creative as that is, and so I'll go with the rental standard Peter trade here because I think that's ultimately the most likely.
Speaker 1: But I love what he did there.
Speaker 4: I think if Hembo attached somebody other than Briggs Mackenzie, I think he has me.
Speaker 3: So I have three wins. One is for being stupid and the other one is for being boring. So in my head, I'm still technically down to the war, but the scoreboard does read at the current moment three to me, Hembo, we got about fifteen sixteen minutes left with you. Let's go straight to Mason Miller, just so we make sure, maybe that we could talk about Mason Miller. Mason Miller mock trades. Three and a half years of control. You get him from ages twenty seven, which he is right now, up until his age thirty season. You shortened the game to eight innings for the next three and a half seasons with arguably the best reliever that we've seen since Mariano Rivera. Now, of course you got a roll to Chapman. You got Craig Kimberle in his prime, you got Kenlee Jansen in his prime. Potential Hall of famers. Mason Miller might be more talented than all of them. The numbers speak for themselves. He's given up twenty one hits and forty plus innings this year with seventy eight strikeouts. He's given up four runs this year, zero blown saves. He's blown seven saves in three years. Not much else to say Himbo, what are your mock trades for Mason Miller.
Speaker 2: I hope Arham is prepared with his airbag to adjudicate this one. But I'm setting Mason Miller to Milwaukee. I'm sending Mason Miller to the Milwaukee Brewer. He's under team control, like you said, through the twenty twenties, and they're one of the few teams in baseball that could afford it, and much more importantly, afford it responsibly. My package is this. I'm gonna send josh Adam, Jeeski, Praylan Payne, Bishop Letson, and Salfrielick in a four for one from Milwaukee to San Diego. And the reason why they're doing this, the reason why they could justify doing this, because ultimately this is not a model breaker. Teams like these, as you know, guys are much less inclined to do splashy things at the deadline because they're often accompanied by the rental and teams that operate in this market can't afford to do deals like that for rentals. But when you're dealing with someone that can impact four pennant races and like you said, Peter, change the math in every game in series that you play, this is a justifiable thing for Milwaukee to do. If you talk to people that cover the Yankees and oppose the Yankees back in the late nineties, they talked about not only the dominance that Mario Rivera demonstrated a ninth then, but the fact that he changed the math. You had to prepare to win the game an eighth inning against the yank and eight innings against the Yankees, and that's what you're gonna have to do when you play the Brewers.
Speaker 3: Here.
Speaker 2: Imagine handing the ball from Jacob Mizarowski to Mason Miller in Game six of the NLCS with Kyle Tucker shaking in his boots in the batter's box. That's what's at stake here. This is something that they can do, and they don't have the ability at the trade deadline to get five people to improve their roster so much so that they're going to overtake the Dodgers from that standpoint. But he's a win probability swinger, and what he can be in any playoff series is a complete and utter math changer. So do I think it's likely? Certainly not. But this is a system that is so good that you could say that it's gluttonous, almost so good that if you don't act right now, you might appreciate the value of.
Speaker 3: Some of these people.
Speaker 2: So look, you're gonna be able to retain the top five guys in your system, but you're gonna give up a bunch and get Mason Miller for the next three plus years.
Speaker 3: Man. It's that combination of I absolutely love the fit and I think it's a banger trade, and then in my mind goes, no way the Brewers do it. It's just because the Brewers are the Brewers. Now, like I hope you're right, that is a cooler trade than what I'm going to bring up, especially because the one that I brought up we've already posted online and Yankee fans want nothing to do with it, which is exactly why it's probably in the ballpark of what the San Diego Padres are going to need now. They came out reported we need at least two top one hundred prospects. Here you go George Lombard, let's part with him, and of course Carlos Legronjey and then you got that flyer of Spencer Jones and MLB Ready outfielder. I think the debate is is he MLB Ready even though he's been in Majriague Baseball, did not exactly put up great numbers. You know, he's a first round pick. I think some people probably still think he has potential, but he is the clear third option. In this trade. You get a top twenty prospect in baseball per ARM, Carlos Legronjey recently ranked number fifty four by ARM. It's pretty damn good package. And with the Yankees, I know the fans don't want to give up on George Lombard, and I think he could be a really, really solid player. But at the end of the day, how many of these top prospects that have been promised to Yankee fans that both Brian Cashman and the fans don't want to trade, how many of them have panned out. Let's have a real honest talk. Meet the Yankee fans right here, and you say, well, I don't want a reliever. You're getting the best reliever that you've had since Mariano Rivera. And that includes Clay Holmes, who had a bunch of really solid seasons as the closer. That includes a role as Chapman who's had awesome seasons as the Yankees closer. They were their best was in the mid two Zra Mason Miller has a zero eighty six. Mason Miller has ascended with the A's he was on the Chapman Holmes level. He's ascended into something that you can't even put into words. You get to end games by the ninth inning. For the next three and a half seasons, you pair Bednar, and I think the Yankees kind of need a relief pitcher badly, and a high leverage one. Because I think about this, I think Paul Blackburn and Brent Headrick have had great seasons those year seven and eight guys in the playoffs. I know for Nano Cruz is great too. I need a name. I need a Mason Miller, David Bednar. You don't have that much time left with Judge and with Cole Freed was throwing ninety eight. Let's go do it, Mason Miller to the Yankees for these three it's gonna hurt, but good. You're gonna have to overpay a little bit.
Speaker 4: Go ahead on follow up questions for each of you. First, Peter, do you do you actually think the Yankees would do this? Because you mentioned you have your reliever for the next three and a half years, who plays on the left side of the infield for the next six.
Speaker 3: Well, Brian Cashman wanted to trade for Ryan McMahon, he can have that. He loves Volpi, so I bet if you asked him he'd be like, this is a good left side of the infield. We both disagree, but if you ask Cashman how many times has he defended this left out of the infield? And he loves Jose Cabierro, so we agree.
Speaker 2: But I mean m to answer your question for Peter, the answer to that question is going to be Xander Billgarts. If they do something like this, the answer to your question is Xander Billguarts because they're.
Speaker 4: Also losing Jazz, so they have no no infielders nobody.
Speaker 1: I think. I think they're holding onto Lombard for dear life. I really do. I don't know. If there's a world where they move them, I might.
Speaker 2: How close is that's Kilbya.
Speaker 1: He's played six four games this year.
Speaker 4: He came back like first game back from a hammy, or so they say, and then yeah, left the left again and we haven't seen him. So the guy hasn't even played. He's played twenty something games. A low Ay, that's it.
Speaker 1: Okay, and there's nobody.
Speaker 4: Else, so it's awesome. As Mason Miller is real quick. The package from the Brewers again it was.
Speaker 2: It was Adam Schevsky, Braylan Payne, it was Bishop Left, Bishop Watson, South sal is gonna be there, or you know, Ramon Loreano Flyer. I hope they can turn them into.
Speaker 1: That so optically.
Speaker 4: Can a J Peller do it without getting one of the Brewers top five prospects? I think so when it's the best system in baseball by a mile, maybe one of the best systems ever.
Speaker 2: It's an awfully good system. I want to just share for you a quick exchange I had yesterday VIAT text with podcast p who talked me out of my what he's describing in our chat as OG package, my OG package before I was dissuaded by whatever Brewers propaganda you had planted in my in my phone yesterday was Louis Pana, Bishop Letson and South Freelick. And he taught me off that ledge based upon conversations that you've had with their farm people. And perhaps you're right, and perhaps they love the kid. But that was originally my package and instead of three for wanting it I'm four for wanting it, knowing full well that that might not be enough to land Mason Miller.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm torn because I think I don't see how the Yankees can do this, But I also think the Brewers would have to give up a little bit more. I'm gonna side, though, with with the Brewers package here because I just think that the bulk of it is so crazy in the amount of talent for guys that I know Prower would love to add to this system, I think would be hard to deny.
Speaker 3: All right, three to three. Now, let's go over to Spencer's steer. And this is an interesting one. Got two and a half years of control, He's cheap, He's been a solid hitter right, He's about ten percent above league gaverage, can provide some power, can play a bunch of different positions, albeit not all that well, but can play a bunch of different positions. Humbo will throw it over to you. Who needs a right handed bat who can kind of play everywhere?
Speaker 2: Seattle does it sounds like I like this player more than you do. I'm sending him to Seattle in exchange in a one for one for Michael Arroyo. It might sound awfully expensive. If you're a Mariners fan, you're probably shouting me down from the mountaintops right now. But Spencer theear is going to be someone who Jerry Depoto's model I think really favors. You mentioned the position versatility, the platoon versatility, the controllable nature. He's almost like a poor man's Brendan Donovan in that sense, and I think Michael Arroyo candidly is blocked. It's gonna be a really tough time for him to find himself playing time. And I think what they would hate to do is run the same play that they ran with Harry Ford by retaining him for it. Let's be honest, probably a year two long, So it's a straight up one for one. Spencer'st year for Michael Arroyo.
Speaker 3: So I think the main reason I might just be a little bit lower than you, and maybe my package might not even be that much lower than you. That's why I'm curious what arm thinks, yeah, is he's got a six forty seven OPS against right handed pitching this season, and he's got a six to eighty ops on the road, two numbers I don't love, but to be fair does come with all those years of control. He's still relatively young, and he could play a bunch of different positions. So I think the Phillies need a bat like that, your Phillies right hand a bat. We were talking with Ryan Howard at the lid's event. What did he say, right handed bat. It's like the most important thing. And I think Steer is that guy. And these three prospects, I'm really curious what you think. We're starting off with Dante Nori, who was first round pick in twenty twenty four. Is his speedy, you know, lefty outfielder. He's on the smaller side, He's twenty one, looks okay, it's like a pretty good player. Cody Bauker again, third round pick in twenty twenty five, Rdy low slot, good strikeout to walk ratio and high a though at twenty two. And then Raylan Heredia who strikes out a lot, but he's got some juice arm Which package you taken.
Speaker 4: So I'm taking the Arroyo package. However, however, I think there's a couple wrinkles here that are important.
Speaker 3: One.
Speaker 4: The Mariners, by all accounts, I think like Arroyo more than they like last Monts, and they like Arroyo, I think, to potentially be the air apparent in left field. I think Arroyo might even end up being their short platoon guy as soon as this year.
Speaker 1: They've got I'm up in trip Away, He's playing left field. They love this guy.
Speaker 4: They've been asking him to play different positions all over to try to find a way to get that bat in the lineup, and anyone I talked to in the Mariners organization just just won't stop gushing about this guy. So I think they would be more likely to move a Lass than an Arroyo. And I think for a Royal with like right, they're gonna lose Randy. I think they're looking at a Royal is the guy that could play left field for them, you know, next year, and potentially even fill in this year. So I think they might see that as they might look at a Royal and say, this guy could just be Spencer's steer for us. And I know that's a bold and ambitious but with the way they talk about him, I think that's how they feel. So a little bit of conjecture there, but I've been it's all I've heard when it comes to a Royal, And again, he's really picked up this year and he's finding more comfort and left and can plug in second if you ever needed it, so at least gives you and third if you really needed it as well, so it gives you similar versatility.
Speaker 1: I'm going to go with Peter's package here.
Speaker 4: I don't love the package overall, but I think with the Dante Nori is so Nick Crawl coded with TJ. Friedel and all these other left handed hitting outfielders that don't hurt the ball very hard or whatever, like, I think it fits. The bill Backer's a fun arm to throw into the fold. Could end up being a nice relief piece for you too, and I think that's probably closer to the value.
Speaker 1: So I go team Pete here.
Speaker 3: So we got three players left, and Hembo is nice enough to grant us ten more minutes thank you, because we still have three guys left, but one last message from our friends at Hampton Farms peanuts. Three players left, and I want to start with Luisa Riaz because I think Luisa Rise is a pretty straightforward conversation. Hembo, you get him for the rest of twenty twenty six, has made improvements defensively. He's hitting three twenty and that's basically what you get right from Louis a. Rias. So give us your mock trade.
Speaker 2: I'm sending him to Boston. I'm gonna watch him Wade Boggs baseballs off the Green Monster for the last few months of the season, and it's a one for one for Jan Valera, a twenty year old right handed pitcher who is going to inject some life into the Giant system. I think they're just going to go eight just in terms of aggregating talent said decent enough live arm and I think Luis Ariz is someone that you can dream on, at least a little bit in that ballpark. I can imagine Craig Breslo buying into his OAA bump at second base, though I view him as a lot more of an average or ordinary second baseman, but he's certainly passable now a straight up run one for one, and selfishly, I love to see Luisa Rise bop the baseball in that ballpark.
Speaker 3: So this is where I go over to the Tampa Bay Rays, and I love the fit with Tampa for a few reasons. Number one, I love the idea of the nine hitter being Chandler Simpson and your leadoff hitter being Luisa a Rias, and then you hand it off to your three boppers and Yanni Diaz, Junior Camenaro and Jonathan Ronda. I just feel like that's good baseball, Like when Chandler Simpson is in the nine hole and you have this contact oriented guy who could do a bunch of hit and runs. Just feels so raised to me. And when I consider they're right side of the infield, you're not moving off Yanni obviously, but Richie Pelasio's you can kind of play anywhere, and it's not like he's having a great season. And I think the Rays do need a bat. I like the deal for a pitcher. I think they're going to be one of the more active teams of the deadline, so maybe my package is a little bit stronger for Riots at the end of the days. Is that like a three win season or right?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I had Michael Forett, who is writy with good stuff, twenty two year old in Double A Army ranks twelfth on your top twenty Rais Prospects on Just Baseball dot Com and Brailer Guerrero who's a twenty year old in A ball and I was reading you right up on him. Strong eggs of velos plus power, but kind of average hit. I think this would be a solid package in order to get and go for it.
Speaker 4: So quick quick clarification two for those in the chat not picking the favorite, like the best package. If I were trading Spencer Steer, of course that would have been a Royoes. It was the most realistic what we think could happen. That's why we thought Arroyo was too much and that the Mariners wouldn't do it. Just to clarify for the chat quickly here though, I actually like I'd I'd rather have one Vllera than those two. And Michael Ferrett, like a lot of people like yeah, ro I used to love and then I watched him swing and missing the Arizona Fall League. I think eighty five percent of the time, poor guy has not been able to stay healthy and it's just been tough. But it would be a fun flyer as a secondary piece. I like that shout, but I look at the Red Sox. I think a lot of teams would be very apprehensive to trade a Vollera for a rental, but I don't think in this situation, with how this team is played and a GM that or Pobo that really wants to hold onto his job now and looks like he will, but to really sprint through the finish line here. I don't think he's gonna mind trading a pitcher when he spawns him. You can say whatever you want. I've said everything I've wanted to say about the guy in charge there, Craig Breslow, but I cannot take away what he does with pitching the upside there.
Speaker 1: I think the Giants would love to add an arm like that.
Speaker 4: They need more arms in that system, even after adding Flora. I think I like the Valera swap straight up, just with the upside and what he brings to the table himbo.
Speaker 3: I don't know if arm is doing this on purpose, but we got two left ands tied four to four. We got ourselves a high ball game, were crushing it. Let's move over to Clay Holmes, probably just for the rest of this season. He does have a player option next year, but I'm assuming he'll opt out, so I'm kind of treating it as a rental. How did you treat it? What's your mock trade for Clay Holmes?
Speaker 2: Kind of like a rental, another straightforward one that we don't need to spend too much time on It's about a five million dollar responsibility the rest of this season. I'm sending him to San Diego. I think aj Preller might try and have his cake and eat it too an off excuse me, a trade deadline in which he can trade Mason Miller and recoup a bunch of assets, as we've discussed already, but also kind of head for the possibility that his big three just kind of bangs simultaneously for the last few months of the season in exchange for Ty Harvey. Ty Harvey is a player that I wrote that a nineteen year old catcher who's blocked by Ethan Sallas. It's a one for one swap. I'm sending Clay Holmes to San Diego.
Speaker 3: I just don't think the As soon as the words I don't think going to buy came out of my mouth, I was like, they can lose the next five games, and I still think Preller is going to be creative. So I think the Padres should be, you know, in the bucket of teams that could potentially go for him. I went with a fit that I sneaky love, and that's Clay Holmes to the Rangers. Because the Rangers are atop the American League West. I feel like they are the forgotten team in Major League Baseball right now. They're not great, but they're atop the division. And Chris Young has always been aggressive. He always makes the move where you're like, whoa, they came out of nowhere. When the Rangers continually do this. They made the trade for McKenzie Gore, and because they made the trade for Mckensi Gordon, it's not going all that great. I think they need a really solid pitcher. But if mackenzie Gore catches fire down the stretch, maybe Clay Holmes is your quasi bullpen fourth starter and they could really use kind of a bullpen armor two as well. So I really love the fit with Clay Holmes in Texas. And this is my package. Jose Corneil, who he's been injured. He's got bad results so far, but he's got stupid stuff. I was watching some of his highlights on YouTube stuff. But again, that's why I'm throwing over to arm as the arbiter. Winston Santos, another one twenty four year old guy in Triple A. Three good pitches with good command, and you have Malcolm Moore, twenty two year old catcher in double A seven ninety one ohps some power, first round pick in twenty twenty four arum Our arbiter. What do you think?
Speaker 1: I like the Rangers fit more.
Speaker 4: I think the package is a little steep, and I also think Hembo's is a little light. So now I'm just stuck in between. It's been a bad year for Santos though I love this stuff. Corneelle has just been frustrating a little bit, and the Rangers have done a good job with their arms of late.
Speaker 1: Malcolm Moore, I.
Speaker 4: You don't want to move your first round or that quickly, but like he just I think he kind of just is what he is at this point. Even though it's been a better year, it's got to be bat driven, repeated high a and still kind of just finding his foot in a double.
Speaker 1: It's a lot to give up, though I'm gonna go.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna go with the Peter package here on this and though I like to fit more, and I think I think for an arm that it really depends what he looks like when he comes back. But I think if he looks half decent is going to require a little bit more and it's a good bio opportunity for the Mets on a couple of arms that they just need.
Speaker 3: You know what, Hambo, did you factor in injury concerns at all to your package?
Speaker 2: I'd love to know. I mean, if he comes back and like you know, lou Bob just hit a four D and fifty one foot bomb, so all of a sudden, Dave Dombrowski, remember he existed, so we want to trade three of his five best prospects for him. The same thing could happen with Clay Holmes. And if he comes out and shoves and looks great. The thing that makes him so palatable, as you guys know, is you can trust him in two different ways. You can hind in the ball in game three of a series if he's great, or in the seventh inning of a series if he's great. So it's certainly a package too. Light mine is if he looks like him. We have no idea if he's going to look like him.
Speaker 4: Rehabs start today, by the way, okay today in triple A for Clay Holmes, so good sway me on this, well, we could retroactively, we can change it, just like they need to give Armando gal Raga's perfect game.
Speaker 1: We can change later and reassign the winner.
Speaker 3: I like, just like that, just like that, But as of now it is five for me, so Hembo. We end with Mickey Moniac and Mickey Moniac interesting profile because you look at the numbers at home, he's got an OPS over one thousand. On the road ops under seven hundred, but he does supply a lot of power. He's got a year and a half of control. This is one which could swing either way. How do you value Mickey Moniac? Mock trade goes to you.
Speaker 2: It's a fairly palatable contract too, especially if you like the player even a little bit. Only eight million dollars through next year. There's one team that I have circle that needs an outfielder desperately and has for years, and it's the Houston Astros, who, let's be honest, they can't afford any of the high powered arms that they really need at this deadline because their system has been so gutted over the last few years. I think the very best that they can do is a package that rhymes with this, like a middle of the back end of the lineup type guy who can play in the outfield a couple positions and fake it. At least, it's a fairly hitter friendly ballpark down there, so you're not expecting him to fall off a cliff like you would if he traded him to, say Seattle. The prospect that I wrote down Arham is Ethan Pecko, twenty three year old right handed pitcher in Houston who's look one of their best guys. But they don't have that much to choose from, so I think they swing and miss when it comes to the starters on the market because they just can't afford them. Then I say they pivot to Mickey Moniac, who immediately becomes someone who improves their outfield considerably.
Speaker 3: I like to fit with Houston. I also like to fit with Cleveland. I've talked about how they need more power, you know, p d Halpin and center, Daniel Schneman and Wright. Even Stephen Kwan is not having a good offensive season. I think they need an influx in power and you're kind of hoping that it can translate from cors Field over to Cleveland. Kind of reminds me of when they dealt for Lane Thomas. Like that type of move where does come with a little bit of control. They feel like he's a little bit of an underrated bat. Here's the package, and again arm tear this one up if you want. Wellbin francisca twenty year old been up to high A seven eighty seven ops, good hit tool, good runner, Watson power and Daniel Spino, the twenty five year old loads of potential, has just dealt with a ton of injuries. It's kind of a home run swing of a prospect, and I think Vickey Moniac is kind of a home run swing, both literally and figuratively. What do you think about this package?
Speaker 4: That one's interesting. I think Francisco is a good BiLaw opportunity as a prospect. Guy that was a borderline top one hundred guy for US and then just really hit a wall, dealt with injuries last year, has been better this year. Espino a hard thrower at altitude. You know they just traded Halverson the guy back in make sense is it?
Speaker 1: Was it just Peco Hembo.
Speaker 2: For one, A straight up swap.
Speaker 1: You're not throwing low perfdo in that or something.
Speaker 2: I mean what I wanted to do here was not get too cute and basically provide you the foundational piece could it be a two for one. Should it be a two for one? Probably, But there are any number of ancillary pieces for a lot of these. What I wanted to do was just find sort of like an anchor prospect for each of these trades. In this case, that's I think the best that they can do.
Speaker 4: So Peco came back from a little bit of an injury and has been really I think solid this year. By by the numbers, I like the Astros fit more. I think they're just more likely to do this. But you're giving me the baseline prospect, are we assuming low Braffido is in here or not sure?
Speaker 2: I mean that's I'm fine with that. I mean I didn't send it over, but yeah, I mean this is gonna be a two for one and a lot of these, like a lot of these deals that I put forth were just sort of the anchor prospect, and there's gonna be ancillary stuff. There's gonna be paydowns, like for example, if if Cleveland wanted Mickey Mo, they'd be like haggling over tens of thousands of dollars, you know, in his contract last year because that's how they roll. But ultimately, I think Peco will call it Loperfido or something that rhymes with that going back, which is probably going to happen and would inevitably, but ultimately he was the anchor prospect that.
Speaker 1: I landed on well and quickly.
Speaker 4: The Astros made like a small little deal to clear up a little bit of room. Right, they trade mccullors to clear up about a million and a half two million dollars so that they can add a player that will cost about four million dollars at this deadline and stay under the CBT. That would be Mickey Montiac, plus they would plug him in for next year. I like the team fit with the Astros, so I'll go Dana Brown desperation move.
Speaker 3: Five to five and even But I'm honestly I'm going to give you the win, Hembo, because going back, two of my wins are because I was stupid and boring. You never got any of those comments. So I think Hembo wins, even though it's a tie. Tie goes to the guy who's not stupid and boring.
Speaker 2: Look, I just watched soccer for the last two months. I went from like the soccer of two c's to man this Canaan infielder lose midfielder lose this says depth so badly in the span of like two months. So look, I'm fine with the draw. I feel good about our packages more than anything else. I felt like nothing that we put forth was outrageous like the Median Internet Trade package, and thus I feel the exercise was very much worthwhile.
Speaker 3: Real quick arm as we say goodbye, we your favorite package of the whole thing.
Speaker 4: What's funny is I think your your value proposition on the Yankees package with with Mason Miller was as sound as possible. And that's the one I might loose sleepover and be like I should have went, should have.
Speaker 1: Went with Peter on that one.
Speaker 4: I just can't fathom the Yankees doing it, and that's what really skewed me. But I also loved just the both Mason Miller packages, I would say, because the amount of talent that just went to them on the Brewers deal too was like holy crap. But it's also not their top guys, Like it was such a fun conversation there.
Speaker 1: I would just go with both Mason Miller packages.
Speaker 4: And that's why I really hope he does get traded, because yeah, it's gonna be so fun talking about what those pat what that package might be Embo.
Speaker 3: Those were our mock trades. Thank you so much for all the time, and you even gave us additional The time just flies by when we're talking. I know that we had two more players that we had to cut before the episode. We could go for hours and hours and hours. Such a good friend to us. Thank you so much again for coming on plug anything. What are you working on? You're always working on stuff.
Speaker 2: Always working on something plenty more to the coming weeks. But I don't recall having any more fun than I've just had with you guys. It's awfully fun to do it. We actually get to now see like the trades. You guys can you know, blast them out on social however, to see what people thought of it. But I think what I would finish by saying is that was the kind of exercise that gms themselves are doing. It's not any different than the stuff that you and I have done over the last few days. I've been around enough front office types we'll call them, to know that they're actually not, you know, rocket surgeons. They're not all that sophisticated, right, and so a lot of the math and calculus that you and I were doing here over the last few days to present these packages the exact same exercise that GM's are doing. That's what makes this stuff so fun. I very much enjoyed doing it in arm I think you did an awfully good job at arbitrating the process.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 3: I'm taking that compliment. I don't even know if you mentioned that. I'm kind of like a GM. That's how I'm gonna do absolutely at thirty first team in Salt Lake City.
Speaker 2: You're gonna be running those guys.
Speaker 3: We'll take that out. We'll take over Salt Lake City soon. Thank you everybody who joined the Just Baseball Show. Best way to support the show smash the like button and subscribe button. Whatever you listen into your podcast, leaving a five star review is the best way to support. If you want to join our discord, Hembo's in there and we could talk all the trades that you could ever want. Special shout out to Podcast B for brilliant producing. Once again, a special thank you to Hembo for coming on from arm Laighton. I'm Peter Roffle. See you tomorrow, same time, same place, one thirty pm Eastern. With that, thank you every much.