Speaker 1: And Eminem was behind the bench said you won't be getting number sixth to night, buddy. It is Eminem, you know, one of the greatest rappers all the time them yeah, And so I had to talk trash back to where trouble now though, they better get me. And then after I did this dunk on rip, I looked at him like I told you, it's looking over.
Speaker 2: On today's episode, we are talking game five of the two thousand and five NBA Finals between the San Antonio Spurs and the Detroit Pistons.
Speaker 1: You don't tell nobody this, but I go back and watch this game and pat myself on the back and smile because I had a hell of a game.
Speaker 2: Man, Big Shot Bob rob Ari is in studio seven time championships.
Speaker 1: You did it last year in the finals. He's done it for us all regular season long, and he's going to keep on doing it. And that's Robert for you. When I look back, I think this is the second hottest I had a there.
Speaker 2: So it's a back and forth night.
Speaker 1: I sucked in the first hat. I remember sitting in the corner talking to myself, Robbie, sucking night. You're supposed to be big Shop ob you terrible and Bruce is looking at me like dude going crazy and they next thing you know, I come on the second half.
Speaker 2: I just fall out twenty one points in the last seventeen.
Speaker 1: To have the performance I had in the fourth quarter and a little bit over time with no plays called for me is one of the best performances you can have.
Speaker 2: Games of Names is a production of iHeartRadio Welcome to Games with Names, presented by when Bett. On today's episode, we are talking Game five of the two thousand and five NBA Finals between the San Antonio Spurs and the Detroit Pistons with Robert Lori. Who's the real big shot? We get into that, We get into the talk of rings and things.
Speaker 3: Rings and things. Baby, We're I would ring watching you.
Speaker 2: Got seven of them dangs? The secret about being clutch. We'll get into we geting a lot of visualizations, visual success. I feel like I feel like we got scientific sports science. What is that that ship they have on the Worldwide Leader? That guy from sports I don't know. I feel like he's been gone ever since.
Speaker 3: Ever since. I don't know. He's he's too deep.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we get into pot versus Jackson, Phil completely different awesome to awesome to really get to hear where they were the same and where they were like completely different.
Speaker 3: Rob can speak on both of those. Not a lot of guys can he can.
Speaker 2: Man, And I mean, you can't talk this era of basketball without talking brawls.
Speaker 3: Malice in the Palace.
Speaker 1: Baby, Malice in the Palace.
Speaker 2: We all we even dabble in a little college football, Big Alabama guy roll Tide yep. And then we'll wrap up the show talking about some of the most clutch athletes of all time with some game.
Speaker 1: Some game. Jackie throws out, Let's go, baby, let's go.
Speaker 2: Make sure you check out Games with Names on YouTube, Instagram, Twitter, Snowchat, and TikTok at games with Names. We should probably change that to X. Subscribe on Apple podcast, Spotify, or wherever you listen to podcasts.
Speaker 1: We want to hear from you.
Speaker 2: Call in at four two four two nine to one two two nine zero and.
Speaker 1: Leave a message. Guys, leave a message.
Speaker 2: For some gameres or some of year old stories of the iconic games we all associate with, or maybe just some advice.
Speaker 1: Whatever you want.
Speaker 2: Give us a call. Games with Names is brought to you by win Bet. When bet brings the excitement of the win Las Vegas and Encore Boston Harbor to your phone. Join win bet today and bet with the official online gaming product from win Resorts.
Speaker 1: Let's go. June nineteenth, two thousand and five.
Speaker 2: The Palace at Auburn Hills, Auburn Hills, Michigan was.
Speaker 1: First trail by two with nine point four second left side out of bounds.
Speaker 2: Man Ude gets doubled on the catch, he kicks it to Ari.
Speaker 1: This is Game five of the two thousand and five NBA Finals.
Speaker 2: My God, Welcome to Games with Names presented by win Bet, and we have a very special guest today. Big Shot Bob rob Or is in studio. Seven time champion, which he you know. I joked with him. I said, hey man, you got the Brady. He goes, no, no, no, I got the Ori. I started it first.
Speaker 1: What did you say? I said, Brady has there there? It is eighteen year NBA career.
Speaker 2: If you have a word of clutch, his his name and his picture is in that dictionary.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: They call him big shot Rob for a reason or Bob thanks for coming to the studio.
Speaker 1: Man, welcome, man, thanks for having me. I just you know, and they called me in told me that you wanted me to be on your podcast, said me, he sure to be me, Yeah, because I'm such a big fan of you, man, Like when you're on TV Sunday Football, I'm always watching you. When you go off, I go somewhere else. I love what you do.
Speaker 2: Man, Man, I appreciate that, and I mean, let's let's jump into it. You know what people don't realize. Everyone our set time was eleven o'clock. Okay, eleven o'clock, and you know I'm in here taking a shower, getting ready. You just got back from the gym. It's ten fifty, and I got people coming to the room.
Speaker 1: Hey, Rob's here, Rob's here.
Speaker 2: And that's the kind is that the kind of guy you were when you were playing, like you just right away ten minutes early, probably doing a couple of shots, getting lubricated.
Speaker 1: What's going on? You know? For me is when you're an athlete, you know, if practice starts at ten o'clock, you always gonna be there with nine thirty nine o'clock, depending on you need to get treatment. And that's just who I am, you know, I value time. Time is so precious to me, and I don't want to waste your time because I don't know. If you've got Tom Brady coming after me, I know I might get bumps O wut all my time, you know what I mean? But I just think that you have to respect people's time, and I just I always want to be on time, and if I'm ever late, I'll probably apologize twenty times if I'm late. But you know how it is being an athlete. You've got to be ready to go when coach has practice at eleven o'clock, you gotta be ready to go. You got it with the John Wooden rule.
Speaker 2: If you're on time, you're late.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 2: So today we are looking at the Spurs versus the Pistons. I mean, we have so many games we could have got into, but we had to get into the two thousand and five NBA Finals Game.
Speaker 1: Game what Jackie?
Speaker 3: Game five?
Speaker 1: Baby?
Speaker 2: Game five? Is that an important game? Some would say is that an important isn't there some kind of crazy stat if it's too two time?
Speaker 3: Seventeen of the last twenty three at this time had gone on to win the finals. So game five is pivotal.
Speaker 2: Pivotal, by the way, that's Jack, that's Kyler. Robert part of the crew.
Speaker 1: Got a great crew here.
Speaker 2: Many you're making it. Even you're making it is this is all for you? Explain to us why why this game?
Speaker 1: You know, you got to understand it. And when you're playing a really good team like we were back then and the Detroit Pistons they had just beat the Lakers for a championship, so they wanted another championship because you know how it is in sports. When you win one, someone said, oh it was a fluke, but when you win two, they say you're a dynasty, even though you're not a dynasty. But they started talking about, oh, this is the possibleity a dynasty. So that's a very pivotal game. And we in Detroit, and for people who don't know, this was a time when the playoffs was two three two. So you play two at home, and you go on the road and play three, and then you play two at home to try to win. So you think about this Detroit Pistons, Detroit basketball. These guys don't lose at home. So we go down three to two, going back to our building, it's gonna be hard to win, you know, two games in a row. So game five, you know, I just caught fire and it was was one of those games where it was when you go I even don't tell nobody this, but I go back and watch this game and pat myself on the back and smile because I had I had a hell of a game. Man.
Speaker 2: Now, when when when you're in that kind of zone. Yeah, Like I remember once in eighth grade, you know, I was playing a WPPSL had Mount Carmel, and I felt like I was in the zone. Anytime I throw it up, you know, I caught that for like two seconds?
Speaker 1: Is that how it was?
Speaker 2: Like you just anytime you catch it, catch shoot, It's in.
Speaker 1: Man. You know, when I look back at certain games, I think this is the second hottest I ever been in the NBA. The first time I was in Cleveland when I hit like nine threes in that game and I was hot. And then there was another time where I was kind of equal to that when Milwaukeer when I got my career high forty. But this game, because in those games, when I say that they ran plays for me, this game, Pop Nutt wasn't play for me. It was just all shots. I just you know what f this, I'm taking this. I'm feeling good and for me. When you get that hot, the basket is like like the ocean. Just you know, whatever way you do it, it goes in. Now, let's talk about some of these facts. You're from Bama, I'm from Alabama? Are you big? Are you big? Bama fan? Roll tide, roll tile all the way. Man. I love college football.
Speaker 2: So is that your Saturdays is dedicated to college football?
Speaker 1: I watch Alabama college football period and I watched everybody I watched. I watched Florida State play. I watched Oregon because my stepdaughter she went to Oregon. I watched you still, I watched. I just love college I love football. My mama wouldn't let me pay, by the way, but I love it. But it's it's and I sometimes watch college more in the NFL because it's almost like it's like a different type of passion. You know. It's like the pros are so good and they're so precise, but you just like the rawness of the college game. How some of those guys came do the precisions that you guys do, And I was just like, it's just fun to watch. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Now do you think it's changing a little now that these guys are basically professionals making more money than taking pay cuts once they get the NFL.
Speaker 1: Even though Alabama in Alabama.
Speaker 2: Florida and I think Georgia and a lot of these other teams when I was playing, they were taking pay cuts because they were getting paid by boosters.
Speaker 1: So you know, like has it changed. You know it's changed because every time you pick up the whatever you want, an app or whatever, you see, oh, this quarterback is support. I think it's like twelve quarterbacks in the portal already. I mean, like come on, you know, and I know it's all about you. And then the loyalty. There's no loyalty in sports sor to say, but I just think it gets to a point where the NC double A. I think they have to, you know, monitor this. Yeah, because I seen one guy. He transforms every year. It's like, are you trying to get to the next level? Are you just trying to get paid? Now, don't get me wrong, I'm all about you getting your paper, but it has to be some type of control. And I know the COVID this is the last year, the COVID year whatnot, and it just needs they need to get a handle on it. Without a doubt.
Speaker 2: I mean because if you're going to get paid like US pros, we signed contracts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can't.
Speaker 2: This is the best free agency I've ever seen in my life. Yes, I mean legit, it's your free agent every year if you want to be yes.
Speaker 1: Which you know is good and bad.
Speaker 2: Yes, I definitely think it's changing a little and they definitely have to have some kind.
Speaker 1: Of regulation on it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you're you're watching college football. What's life for you like now that you've been retired a little bit, you know, and like you said, time allocations everything, what's the time going to these days?
Speaker 1: Yeah? You know, I'm kind of like, you know, I'm in the TV world where I do Laker televisions. I work for Spectrum if I can stay to him but Charter and then we do the Laker television and I've been there for thirteen seasons. And you know, country boy from Alabama, I never thought I would be doing Laker television because la is you know, it's not the dirty side, you know, it's some of the slang I use people like what the hell did you just say? But I'm having fun. But it also allows me to do my schedule the way my son's high school schedule. I scheduled around his schedule. Since I've been there thirteen years, I can do that, and that's the most important thing. Men to try to go to each other one of his games. But I also talk to his coach when I'd be like, yo, is this a good game? Like, Nah, that's not a good game. You don't need to be at that one because they've been blowing people out by thirty and forty because they won state championship last year, so they're really really good. And so I'm like, Okay, do I go make money or do I miss this game or do I make this game? And I like my schedule now because I can do what I wanted to do thirteen years. Dude, I mean, you've earned that.
Speaker 2: And that's what a lot of people don't realize. When we were talking, when you sacrifice as much time and energy and attention of your life to a single craft, which people don't realize. Ten minutes early before the meeting, mister Ory was here, so you know, he was a constant professional that like, once you're done, you know, you gotta kind of you got to give your flowers all the people in your circle, and that's your family, your friends, and give them.
Speaker 1: So you know, that's awesome. That's awesome. It's so important, you know, to make sure you know, because think about it, how old are your kids.
Speaker 2: My little girls just turned seven.
Speaker 1: See, and in ten years you're gonna be like what at the time, go she's be off to college and you can like, she's never gonna call you. But when you wants something. So so it's just it's just like that. You know. I have two older kids and there it's like, Yo, what do you need Dad? I can tell by one of a text like, Yo, Papa, I'm like, Okay, what do you need. It's so funny he says, like Papa, But he says Papa. I'm like, you never call me papa. But he's like, Papa. I'm like, what do you need? Well, my my truck needs new tires. I'm like, well, go get some. So but I love my kids, man, I do anything in the world for them, and you know, it's just it's just fun. So enjoy that seven year old. I know, we just started soccer.
Speaker 2: Things are crazy right now getting them in. She's in this little club team and trying to see if she likes it. Yeah, you know what I mean because she's athletic.
Speaker 1: It's just you know, yes, you get that from you from my mother. What athleticism, I would say me, Yeah, let's go back the early days. We're did this clutch start? You know? For me, I think it happened in high school, and I can I can really pinpoint when it happened. We used to have this tournament, that Andalusia invitation where it was a Christmas tournament. My junior year. I'm killing it year. I don't really want to say, well, okay, you make me say nineteen eighty seven, all right, eighty seven and it's our tournament, and I get we you know, we get I get fouled and we're down too. I go to the free throw line, make the first one, I missed the second one. We lose the game, and I remember walking into that locker room. We hadn't lost that tournament in like twenty year. This was the first time I was losing. I walk on the lock all my teammates are crying. I'm sitting there like what did I just do? And from that moment on, I says, I gotta be better. I gotta be more focused. I got to do whatever I can do to make sure We're not putting this position again. And then what really made me feel bad is, you know the next game we played, you know, I had like fifty points. I'm killing it, right, but I get MVP and you I have a picture of me when I'm holding trophy, like I don't deserve this, even though I was the best player in that tournament and they gave it to me. I'm like, this is home cooking. I was like, I don't want this, and because I didn't deserve it, because I let my team now and from that moment on, I just been that type of player to do whatever it is my team's need to score points, you know, defense, block shots, rebound, because it wasn't about me. It wasn't about me being successful, about us being successful. It's so crazy.
Speaker 2: It's something as little as that that sparks a mindset where you don't want to let your team down. And I have I have, I have a story. Were the same thing where I felt terrible. We were it was my sophomore year of high school.
Speaker 1: I was, huh, what year was that? Two thousand and two? Oh man, I was on my what fifth I was watching you and uh we were undefeated nine.
Speaker 2: And oh the team that we were playing, Menlo at the ten. It was our arrival. They were nine and oh and it was frosh Off.
Speaker 1: It was a late bloomer, but we.
Speaker 2: Were good and I was playing safety and a kid they threw it was like, there's six seconds to go.
Speaker 1: They threw it deep.
Speaker 2: I went up and I high pointed it and picked it and I was trying to run it back and I did a stumble bum.
Speaker 1: A stumblebums when you put your arm down and you have the ball right.
Speaker 2: Here to try to keep yourself up, and I'm going and one of their guys took the ball and we were tied and scored time off.
Speaker 1: We lost.
Speaker 2: Wow, you know, and that's that's what you were talking about right there from your story about missing that shot and let your team down. I felt so terrible, you know that. I like that literally hurt me. Still hurts me to this day. Losing the menlo Atherton, our rival nine and oh versus ninety zero championship on the line.
Speaker 1: It was bad, man.
Speaker 2: But you know, from there on out, and you know, it puts a reminder in your head you never want to feel that again. So you tighten everything up, tighten everything.
Speaker 1: It's amazing how much more focused little things like that can make you in your career. And when you don't have any adverse or any setbacks like that, it seems like everything is like you're going down the path. When it hits you, you be like, okay, what It's like a shell shock. So I can appreciate that moments. Yeah, Now, you were Alabama Player of the year in high school. Correct grew up in Bama.
Speaker 2: Was it a given you were going to go to Bama?
Speaker 1: No? I wanted to go to Georgia Tech. Georgia Tech. Yes, I wanted to go to Georgia Tech. And because I went to a high school that was we didn't They didn't give us pep rallies, they didn't do anything. Our football team was never decent, but they weren't as good as us. And it just pissed me off each of them that they didn't respect basketball. And so I'm like, I'm not going to Alabama. Man, you know, Alabama is football football football. I said, I want to go to the ACC. I want to play for Bobby Krimins in Georgia Tech. So how much did they pay you to get you? No? He's it funny nobody ever gave me anything. Someone I'm not going to say who offered my mom a car. And my mom says, I don't want that shit. She said, because I don't feel like I owe you anything, just in case my son decides to leave that school. And so my mom wouldn't take anything. And she heard that I took five hundred dollars from someone. She was like, you need to get that money back. I said, okay, I didn't give it back, but I said, okay, but for me, it's just Georgia Tech, the ACC A basketball comphen you say ACC basketball comes to mind, you say SEC football comes to mind. So I was like, I want to go to the a CC. But you know my mom, she gets mad when I tell this story. My mom said, well, if you go to Georgia Tech, you probably won't see me that much. If you go to Alabama, you'll see me a lot. And so I went to Alabama. Yeah, but about back by the way though, I was also academic player of the Year in Alabama too. Academic right, Yeah. My mom was a school teacher. My dad served eighteen years in the military, So I had a lot of discipline in my life.
Speaker 2: You know what, I was going to ask he was ten minutes early I was and say you got you got family. I swear to God, I was thinking of that. Okay, so ACC basketball, SEC football.
Speaker 3: These were good Georgia. These were final four Georgia Tech teams Kenny Anderson days.
Speaker 1: I got a game real quick.
Speaker 2: What comes to mind when you say Pac ten basketball? What comes to your mind when you hear Big ten, Big ten football? And most importantly, what comes your mind when you hear the MAC baseball?
Speaker 1: Baseball? Yeah? Who's out of baseball? I don't know. I just want to I just want to get baseball from love. It's too cold for Even.
Speaker 2: Though Kent State my school in the MAC, they went to like three or four College World.
Speaker 1: Series in the last couple decades, they didn't win. I don't think, But I think, who's like? I love baseball too? I just like you know, I played baseball growing up. A lot of people thought I was going to get a scholarship in baseball before basketball. What would position? I pitched first base to center field.
Speaker 2: You're throwing gas, clearly.
Speaker 1: That's all I had. I had a change up to bastball and the curve ball. I had three pitches. That's all, could you imagine a big shot bob.
Speaker 2: On the mound looking like Randy Johnson, because Randy's what six to seven?
Speaker 1: You were six to eight, sixteen six.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Jesus, you probably would have been able to throw for years too, because your body's.
Speaker 1: So big and like lanky. Just man, all right.
Speaker 2: I was a Warriors fan growing up, and I changed being Warriors fan because they got so good and I went to Boston.
Speaker 1: So you're a Celtics fan. I became. I became boys with the guys. Okay, I can respect, you know what I mean, and everyone it's kind. That's how I became an Astros fan because I became friends with Bagwell and Visual and all those guys. I understand that. Yeah, you know. So I went to Boston.
Speaker 2: They were winning, and when I left, the Warriors were you know, they were getting good and they were signing. You know, it became different than the Warriors I grew up.
Speaker 1: I grew up with.
Speaker 2: Spree my teammate, your teammate from college, choking out coaches and stuff, had a Spreewell.
Speaker 1: Jersey loved it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, any good Spreebee stories from back to school.
Speaker 1: It's you know, Spreewall was believed, not very quiet. I didn't say much and he was just you know, it was really nothing to say. He loved electronics, he loved cars, you know, that's when he had the spinners and stuff like that. He was just he was just that quiet guy. Man. You know, it's no stories that we were. So yeah, if you look at our team at Bama's, we've had like I played like with fifteen pros that went on to the NBA. Sorry, and there was never anybody. We just we just came and did work. Man. We came and worked out, did our job and went home. Nobody was though. We had no characters. Yeah, I only got the characters as you get to the NBA. That's the only time you come across characters. Yeah, but I'm sure with you was what fifty two of you guys on the field.
Speaker 2: Fifty three on the squad for six on game day? Thinking you had like one hundred with practice squad.
Speaker 1: That's the characters right there though. So yeah, there was. But where I was at, no nonsense.
Speaker 2: It was kind of like probably were you know, like the Spurs. You know you had structure, yes, and your best player was the guy holding the court. And if he's working hard and not being a character. Tom Brady, you can't have guys do that.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: We had fun in different ways, but everyone was out that work. Everyone was about the work like practice was really hard for us. Everything was evaluated, always everything. It was never about like slapping a guy in the butt for doing his job. It was more like, this is what you did wrong. You're expected to do that. Now, let's go, let's correct it so we all can sleep at night.
Speaker 1: I'm the type of person my wife gets mad because I don't. I don't give people credit for things they're supposed to do same, and so she gets mad with I'm like, well he's supposed to do that. I'm like, no, you should. I was like, I tell him, Mary, now, he played a good game. And but she says, you always focus on the negative. I'm not focusing on the negative. I'm pointing out the things that you could have done better to make yourself better. And she's like, well, you need to focus on some of the good things. I said, I do, but not as much as the bad things. I said, I have a relations to my son that's different than you, and so I appreciate people like that. That says, okay, we're gonna work hard. I'm not gonna say, Okay, you caught the ball. You're supposed to catch the ball, like, I'm not gonna give you a high fine. Now if it's a hell of a catch, when you catch it like this with three fingers or something, then I might get you a little pressure. Yeah, you know.
Speaker 2: And I have to catch myself with that too, because that's that's the environment pre my my era and pre my era were like yeah, it wasn't about really like we're out here to have fun. It was like we're out here to fucking win. Yeah, you know, we're out here like to do a job, you know, And a lot of people don't like that, you know, especially nowadays, it's different.
Speaker 1: You know, things, it's really different.
Speaker 2: You know, you got you gotta love kids up and if you don't, you know, they could tank or something. So you know, it's definitely changed.
Speaker 1: Were those words built different? It applies to so many different ways, you know what I mean. I know, even with feel when we would do stuff like we would practice or and you would come to our practices, you'd be like, are they did they just lose? Our practice were intense? You know. Nowadays, guys they don't even practice anymore. They do walk through the practice. We would need to save our bodies, we need to load management. It's like all these practices prepared us for the games, that made the games easier. You think about Shaq and Kobe and you on the second team, they mad that day. They coming at you. That's gonna make you better. You know, that's gonna teach you the game even more. And that's just the way the games should be played. And it's so weird because I learned that when I first got in the lead, because I had Vernon Maxwell, Kenny Smith for Lodge and Oldest Thort. These guys went hard every day. Then when I got traded to the Phoenix Suns, I'm going in practice, I'm like, what is this a country club? They didn't practice hard, they didn't do this. I'm like, now I understand why we used to. When we were down three to one of you guys, we came back and beat you. Then we were down three to two, we came back and beach it. Because the mentality and the way you taught things in practice, there's no carryover to the games. And that's why you see and me from watching games, you can tell the teams that practice and the teams that don't practice.
Speaker 2: You know, it's gotten tricky too now because of the sports science and all this load management and this and that. And it started getting prevalent when I started, like middle of my career, where we were on the GPS things and they'd say you'd be down or you'd be up according to your energy output and your recovery levels and this. And it's kind of interesting to me because we're starting to see like so many more injuries. Like I was talking to our trainer and he goes, you know, we do everything by decades. It used to be get one achilles, you know, every couple of years. Now we're getting three achilles, you know a year. Yes, And it used to be where you practice so hard and if you didn't get out of camp, like if you'd get hurt in camp, but whoever calcified and made it through.
Speaker 1: Camp, you're going you're.
Speaker 2: Putting yourself in the best situation to finish a season, you know what I mean. Now it's kind of like, well, we can't practice them too hard, where maybe it's gone to the point where you're not stressing your body enough that when you hit that sudden jolt of energy in a game situation which you always get five percent higher because you're in competition and you have that adrenaline mode, so maybe the body's not used to it. So now we're seeing a lot more crazy injuries.
Speaker 1: See, I totally agree with you on that. I said to me, that's my philosophy because right now we went out and said, Okay, you and I are gonna run a hound of our dash and the competitive nature, and this is gonna come out. I'm probably gonna pull a hamster. You probably gonna finish, but not me because I'm fifty three. I'm gonna because we haven't trained. We haven't trained our bodies. And that's what I'm trying to tell people, like you gotta train your body so when you get into that moment, you ready for that moment. And Plus I also think that due to the fact in the NBA, guys can you know, smoke certain things to mask the injuries in the pain, so they say, okay, I'm smoke this, I don't feel no pain. Now you go out and like, okay, this was a worse injury than I thought it was. Now is out for the season. Injuries, So I think There's so many things like that that go into why guys aren't, you know, staying on the field of the core or as much as possible because they don't recognize what's going on.
Speaker 2: It was crazy, which it was my strength, but also probably what put me out was I would train so hard in the off season where you're taxing your body so hard that like you're redlining on injury just in off season training, just because you want to get your body to a whole other level for the season. You got to get it prepared for it, you know what I mean. So I don't feel like that's happening as much. So then when you do put that energy output into a game, that's when things can go wrong. Your body's got to feel it, you know. So it's it's complicated. I don't know what the answers are, but it just to me, it seems like there's a lot more of these injuries, a lot more, you know, and maybe guys, you know, maybe need to take a teaspoon of.
Speaker 1: Some Yeah, and my trainings processing someone was very hard. Also, I've had three NBA players I'm not gonna call your name that would work out with me. And then by day three like, dude, I'm out a while. Like you trained to Art, I'm like, dude, you got to prepare yourself for when training camp comes, because back then we had training camp for what two weeks and it was two days. You want to be ready so you're not that third day of training camp you can barely move. So the guys like, now you train too hard. They said, you got to prepare your body foot so everything else will be easy. And it's just weird how there and these are superstars that you were like, oh crap. Just imagine if you trained Art, how good you would be. You know, some guys are just God gifted.
Speaker 2: Let's get back into the game in two thousand and five, what was life like for you?
Speaker 1: It was amazing, man. You know, you think about this. You're on the national stage with world stage because the game is so global now and you're able to go out and play for a team that you know hated you just two years ago because I was on the Lakers, And now you're able to go out and perform and have such a great perform much that it goes on as one of the best games ever. And for me, I remember my first year being with the Spurs, I'm sitting there. They're getting their rings, they're beat us, and I'm sitting like shit, I never on this side of it. I'm using getting the ring. So the first year I was with the Spurs, I had a bad year. So this was my second year with the Spurs. So my second I was on a one year deal. I signed for like a million dollars. Nobody know this. I could have went to the Dallas Marricks and paid for like four million a year whatever it was. But I said, you know what, I had such a bad year. I felt like I owe them, and I stayed. And that's the performance I had. And it's like, you know what, this is who I am. Don't look at what the performance because people, you know, they always say I only show up doing the playoffs is which not true. It's just you use me more in the playoffs because you know you need me and so that and for me, that game, that series was just incredible because if you go down the history of the nbing people I had to guard, it's been two guys that always giving me problem, Tim Duncan and Rashid Wallace because of their side and their athletic ability. And Rashih was just he's just a tough cover for me, and and and then win that series against him, even though a couple of years before that we won that series in Portland. But he was he just he's just one of the greatest players that nobody ever talks about because he could do a little bit of everything. So and I look back at that, yeah, and looking back at that ball spot a great spot.
Speaker 3: With him two bud lights two but heavies and both both to man Man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So that was it was a fun series man. And and for me, like I said earlier, to have the performance I had in the fourth quarter and a little bit over time with no plays called for me is one of the best performances you can have. We'll be right back after this quick break, dude.
Speaker 2: So we have a segment where we go back in time of two thousand and five, around the era of the the game and the number one movie was Batman Beginnings.
Speaker 1: You remember that movie? Yes, I do. The start of the trilogy for Christopher Nolan, one of my favorites.
Speaker 2: This is when I fucking loved because I was a huge Batman fan when I was a kid, and I had all the same same but they gave you It was like the first movie that gave the origins of where Batman came.
Speaker 1: From, you know, and the whole like he had to go and so you d Marl, I'm Batman. Okay, Okay, I like that. I like I like Marvel's. I like the original ones.
Speaker 2: It's just gotten a little too crazy now you know where everything's connected. I like like the original Iron Man, the original O G. Spider Man. You can never get wrong with all the spiders. I like the Spider Man's.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I love Nick Fury though. You know, just who doesn't love Samuel Jackson. I just love Nick Ferry.
Speaker 2: He can't Samuel Jackson. I used to call Martella's Bennett. You remember markin He used to He used to get on these little tangents and he sounded just like Samuel ol Jackson when to me, yeah, just you know how like Samuel you got to be, you know, you be saying that ship team.
Speaker 1: Meetings and stuff. It was crazy.
Speaker 2: Number one song is We Belonged Together Mariah Carey. Actually, fun fact, my first concert ever, I was in eighth grade.
Speaker 1: I went and saw Maria Carrey.
Speaker 2: I was I was, I was like four foot two and.
Speaker 1: I actually get met her you bet I met her.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I was four foot two, so you could only imagine.
Speaker 1: I was like in heaven. I had the pleasure. I had the pleasure of meeting her once too because of Penny Marshall. You know, Penny Marshall was a good friend of mine. And she's like, oh, Mariah, has you want to go and out? Yes, and she is just like I was like, wow, she is so pretty.
Speaker 3: She is.
Speaker 1: I was like that was amazed.
Speaker 2: But yeah, and her voice, her regular talking voice, is just beautiful. Reddit was founded at this time on June twenty third. Do you ever go and Reddit?
Speaker 1: No, It's like it's basically I know what it is, but I never going. Like I have this, like this game that I have on my iPad and they says you have to be you go on read it and they tell you what to do. I'm like, I ain't doing that shit. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I have a group, a text chain, a group of friends that are always talking about it. I'll jump on it here and there.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: You know, wedding crashers hits theater.
Speaker 1: Did you see that? Oh motor boat man, Yeah, those bad boys. Everybody loves wedding crashes man.
Speaker 2: Oh, don't don't think my daughter's gonna be all notch on the belt, not wearing a belt beltless.
Speaker 1: In the sports row. In two thousand and five, the Patriots beat the Eagles in Super.
Speaker 2: Bowl thirty four. That was a dream team that they beat. Remember that when but Tia bowled out with like a broken leg. Yeah, those were some good games. Tiger won, Tiger Woods won his fourth Master.
Speaker 1: That was must watch TV for me. Anytime he was playing Tiger. Yeah, that was like, that's like my favorite thing to watch it you play at golf. No, I don't play it all.
Speaker 2: I don't either, But I loved watching Tiger Woods because anytime at this era, it was like he was down three strokes going into Sunday.
Speaker 1: You knew there's blood in the water exactly. He had the red on. Tiger was just gonna go crazy. G Miller's final season in the NBA. What a stud Oh he was. You know. We actually tried to get him to come join the Spurs in two thousand after he retired. You know, come play with us. You know you got a chance to win a championship. He's like, nah, I'm done. You know I did it with him. I did it with Grant Hill. I'm like, come on, Grant, come join us. Man, get a chption. But Grant decided to go to the Suns. I'm like, see, I told you I don't lose, dude. Every other year I win the championship every other literally. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they were saying KG tried to do that for the Celtics. They tried to get Reggie.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: He said, now again, I mean, hey, you gotta respect the man that says when he's done, he's done.
Speaker 1: A respect. That's you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Steve Nash won MVP. This is when Steve Nash era.
Speaker 1: This is that controversial. Let's hear it because this is the one where Kobe balled out. You know, this is what Kobe had to think. He had the eighty one point game and he was just and everybody's like, because when you do? You know, I love Steve Nash. Steve Nash was my rookie in Phoenix. It's like the NBA. I always look at the previous season. If you have the exact same stats, you don't win him. If you think about because Jordan really so he had the exact same stats. The team actually I think had more losses and he got MVP and everybody's like, what the hell is this? And it's just they didn't grade him on the curve as they graded MJ you know, Barkley and Dreaming, all these other guys who had won MVPs before me. You know, if you ask Shaq, Shaq say this is what he should have won it at Shaq, he should have won every played.
Speaker 3: This was Miami Shack too.
Speaker 1: This is Miami Shaq. Man. I love Shaq. I just ordered the chakaroni.
Speaker 3: The chacaroni is so underrated.
Speaker 2: I mean, I still have heart from Pepperoni.
Speaker 1: Ain't That's like my comfort food man, Pizza and football. That's the perfect thing. Where's your favorite pizza from? You know what? I don't you basketball guys, literally you have lives in every city. Yeah, so you like football.
Speaker 2: When we travel, we got meetings from when we get there. We got curfew. We got meetings in the morning. There ain't nobody leaving.
Speaker 1: We got no curfew. I know you guys, man, you know when you play in LA you only get to go to Miami once. I remember one time, man, we got into Miami maybe like at twelve o'clock. We got there, like five limos lined up and we went straight from the bus to Limbo and field, Like, what the hell y'all going? We're going out. I think everybottle team went out. Man, we already had the cars lined up and we went and hung out. It's like, shit, we don't get that much, so we going to hang out. And that's the one thing that you know now with the NBA set up, they couldn't did it in our era because now you think you go to city, you might play two games in that city. Man, it wouldn't have been no good for us. Man, So think about that. You know, you in Miami for like six days or something like that. Man, that's why you should have home home court advantage because you in Miami for six days of LA. Think about you in LA. Some guys in LA a week because you got the Clippers and you got the Lakers. I'm like, man, if you don't win that game, those guys' legs should be dead from partying and doing all that. That's that type of stuff. So you know, that's that's for after dark, Edelman, we talk about the next time, but after dark games with names unrated baby, Yeah, exactly. Man. You know, Miami does start at twelve I mean, that's when you're starting to wrap up dinner. Let's set the stage jack for the Detroit Pistons going into this game.
Speaker 3: Jump into the defending champ Pistons. Rob alluded to earlier. They were coming off that four to one win over the Lakers in the finals, so they had the bulls eye on their back. Larry Brown in his second season, second seed in the East. This is a team with the Wallace is Rip Hamilton Darko on the bench. Still, we got Antonio mcdce, We got Carlos Royal, mister big shot. We'll get into that later.
Speaker 1: Who the real pitch.
Speaker 3: We know who the real big shot is though Chauncey current Lakers head coach Darvin ham Uh. They had been Wallace Defensive Player of the Year. This was also the Malice in the Palace season, so don't forget that.
Speaker 1: It's a little bit of a what is your thoughts about that?
Speaker 2: What is the what are the boys talking about in the locker room after that shit goes down? Are you guys like I can't believe that happened?
Speaker 1: Or like, man, we're like, what the fuck were they think?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: Even because I went into the stands once we get Vernon Maxwell. We was in Portland and luckily I just grabbed him to get him out of the stands and before anything went down. He got suspended I think five games, and I didn't get suspended. I only got like fine, like five grand or something like that. But that was bananas. Well, you know, people don't realize that year the Pacers probably beat them to go through the finals. The Pacers were freaking good that year. That team was a beasts. And now they open up the opportunity for these guys to do it doing But you know, I have the you know the pleasure of doing this at my show with the Lakers with our test sometimes he talks about it. He always says, yeah, he says, he don't know what. You know, he just clicked and he just lost out. Yeah, you know what, because it always started with him and Ben Wallace getting into it. Yeah, and so you I don't know if you've seen The Mouse in the Palace, but you have to watch. It's really good and it breaks it down and explains everything about the situation.
Speaker 3: Very into the game, like garbage times.
Speaker 1: The thing is with basketball, these people are right up on you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, you got a chili dog on a basketball sometimes when he's thrown out a boundary.
Speaker 1: I mean it's crazy to me, you know. With with football, these guys have to be you know, there's like there's a there's a fucking block off. And then think about football always. I love football, like I said earlier, but when you watch it, it's like it's so hard to know who every guy is because see your faces, Yeah, you always cover it up. And the guys who really wear those black shields don't know how they see and catch balls with that, you don't know who they are. And it's like with us. You know, all we got was a tank top and some shorts, so you see a pretty much all of us. And so you and then the fans are right there on the court and they talking trash and they like in your ear and so it's it's just it's I I really appreciate my sport, but I kind of love your sport. The fact that you're walled off from the fans and then you can't really hear what they say. I know you probably can, but I just assume that you can't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, worst fan base that that talk the most ship yours. Oh, I'll tell you mine afterwards, Utah, Utah.
Speaker 1: You heard that people don't understand the Utah Jazz fan or holes they are. They can say some wild and out of pocket stuff.
Speaker 2: Man, yeah, I have to you know, the I've played against some crazy fan bases. Buffalo is always crazy fun. But I had this part in the back of my head.
Speaker 1: I had these two lines and I went up to You're thinking I was tight. I went to Philly had like a mohawk thing, a couple of parts.
Speaker 2: This guy for fucking three straight hours talk ship about my goddamn partner backed.
Speaker 1: Man, that fucking part in the back is terrible. The whole night after I threw.
Speaker 2: A touchdown past that back game, I went right up to him, I looked at him and I just pointed at my part.
Speaker 1: You know, but it's fun, it's fun. Yeah, Well we got Jaggie.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, that's that about does it for the Pistons. Great defensive team.
Speaker 1: Also, also, by the way, shout out. I was at Travis Scott two weeks ago and Rip was how was that, Travis Scott? Were you here? Rip was right next to me and Gronk. Me and Gronk went to it and we were talking.
Speaker 2: I was talking to Rip, he's a big ass football fan because him and Brady were cool. I think because he went to Yukon and you know, they were winning championships this time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Rip was thinking about sending his kids to Harvard West like they I think they went to Campbell Hall. But yeah, Rip always you know, he tells his kids he's never been dunked on, and then one of his kids says, then Robert Oloray dunk on you in the finals in the game five. Be like, uh, that don't count because that was a charge. I'm like, no, dog, you got dunked on block baby all day YouTube exactly. You can't. You know.
Speaker 2: It's like our parents could be like, yeah, I walked uphill in the snow for four miles.
Speaker 1: I'm like that, we live in San Francisco. There's no snow, and now, like you can literally google shit, especially when you like, you say something, you know, because you don't remember a lot of you said no, someone said no, you didn't have twenty points. You had nineteen points, And I'm just gonna fact check you and let you know you line to the public. I'm like, dude, nineteen twenty, what's the difference, you know.
Speaker 2: Surrounding there, surrounding there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a little joker.
Speaker 2: Don't you got homework? Who did you get homework? Will be right back after this quick break. Games with Names is brought to you by my friends at win Bet. Wind Bet is bringing the excitement of win Las Vegas and Encore Boston Harbor to online sports betting. Whether you're a recreational player or some serious handicapper, win bet is your ticket to every exciting wager, from straight bets to parlays, teasers, and any prop bet you can dream up. All players have access to win rewards and can redeem them for resort credits in Las Vegas and Boston. Sign up today and get in the game online or visit Boston Sports Book at Encore Boston Harbor. There's no better way to enjoy sports with the little extra winnings in your pocket.
Speaker 1: Betting is a team sport. Join the win bet team and bet with the best.
Speaker 3: Must be twenty one or older and present in the state where playthrough win bet is available. Terms and conditions at winbet dot com. If you or someone you know has a gambling problem called one eight hundred five two to two, four to seven zero zero.
Speaker 1: One eight hundred five to two two four seven zero zero. Let's get into these Spurs.
Speaker 3: These Spurs man another heck of a team. One started out super hot sixteen in the first twenty games, ended up winning fifty of their first sixty five tim battle a little bit of injury down the stretch. Missed twelve of the last sixteen games, but battled back that ankle injury was nagging. This was the team with Parker or Bruce Bowen, big shot Bob Jenobili. This was kind of Genobi's coming out party first year, who was an All star, really came into his own. Picked up Nausey Muhammad in the mid season, which was big down the stretch. Yeah, other big body helped him out there. All stars Genobili and Duncan Pop of course. This was I mean middle of the dynasty one in nine and then three and now we're going for the the second and three years.
Speaker 1: I mean it's crazy.
Speaker 2: So you go from Lake Show with Coach Jackson and Kobe and Shaq and then you go like to Pop and you got Duncan. What like, what's that culture? Like? How is that like going from a team that you guys probably hated and be like similar pillar type organizations that have.
Speaker 1: Superstars that run the league. So it'll be like going from the city with big lights to a small country town. It's just how it is. You think about all the flash. You know, you got all these celebrities. You know, you look up. Halle Berry's over there, look up there, Gwynith Pouth throws over there. You got all these stars. You know, Denzel's coming up to you saying, yo, man, y'all sucked the now you need to get you know, get it going. And then you get to yeah motivating, Oh yeah, yeah, you get to san Antonio. You got Tommy Lee over there, who don't say thathing, you know. But it's it's a big difference in the culture as far as what you have access to pop control. San Antonio, like he wouldn't let you do anything that if it wasn't a part of their organization. Like I had. I used to do a clinic, a basketball clinic and they were an HB sponsor, and I had Walmart. He got mad at me because you know, HGB is our sponsor, Like that ain't got shit to do with me. You know, I'm doing this for the kids, and this is who my sponsor is. And he literally they literally got mad at me because I'm like, you, well, if you want to donate fifty thousand dollars to my charity, let's go and let's do it. And then they were like, now you go ahead and do your thing. And so he had so much control of that town and the players were just like very disciplined. You think about it, the culture. We always talk about culture and sports. You got Pop Military, you got bless You, you got David Robinson, who's melitary. Those were the two seeds that really started that franchise. Yeah, yeah, and you get these guys. And Tim Duncan is just, you know, he's a product of his environment. He's very disciplined. He doesn't want to do much, you know, if it ain't about video games, cars, a poker, he don't want nothing to do it. You know. But I think basketball is probably fourth on that list. And so he's just that type of individual where he's just gonna lock in and do this. And Manu was like that. Tony was the only one that was kind of like a wild child. When he started dating Eva, it was like, hold on, we don't want the spotlight on us. And now you're dating even Longoria that's more of a spotlight. And pot was like he didn't really like it too much, but you know, you can't get in the way of love. And then you got Bruce, who was that type of it was. It was the culture, it was who he brought in is how he wanted it. And he controlled the narrative so much. That's why the teams were so good because he put his stamp on the team as far as field feels like, hey, we're gonna run the triangle, We're gonna do it this way. We can be disciplined enough to run the system like it's supposed to and only yoga. Yeah, we're gonna talk our feelings. Yeah, but there's no difference in you know when you get to the great coaches. Yeah, they're all very structured and you believe in them and you believe in their system, so you kind of do what you need to do and if you get a wild child, you kind of next thing, you know, they kind of either out the door or at the end of the bench.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's so similar to what Yeah, I lived in, you know, because if you think about it, we're in we were in Foxborough, which is it's a town. Yeah, you know, you have Boston, you have Providence, but like most of the guys, I didn't everyone lived in Foxboro, like Plainville, which is right there. It's very small towny, and you know, I just wonder if like Pop and Belichick, like they sound eerly similar.
Speaker 1: They probably are, you know, that's what they you know, they probably do. They kind of look alike sometimes, you know, messed up here and don't give a shit how they look, just dressed what it would. I think the best thing for Pop was the fact that we got that the coaches now don't have to wear suits, because that's just the San Antonio culture.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: They never wanted to wear suits. They just want to, you know, do their job and go home.
Speaker 3: I hate the quarter ziplification, man, I hate the quarter zips.
Speaker 1: You gotta get back the suits.
Speaker 3: I'm looking, I'm doing deep dives on Alabama basketball. I'm seeing Wim Sanderson wearing the sickest plaid sport good of all time. And now I get quarter zip universe over here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, look, you gotta think about it, man.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you right now.
Speaker 2: For a coach on that hardwood with them dress shoes in a suit, man, for two hours, what is it two hours two and a half hours basketball game? I mean some of the sores I've ever been is when I preseason games and you just stand in some shitty shoes or some cleats, like because.
Speaker 1: You're not playing, yeah, and you stand for three hours. I'll tip my hat to coaches in the fucking dress shoes. That's why most coaches that are smart, you know, they sit down. They just sit there. You see. Now all these coaches want to stay on the sideline, Like why you cut on the side, Let's go sit down. You're in the damn way, young, young coach.
Speaker 2: Are the pop dinners as legendary as people say they are?
Speaker 1: If it's nochi lop lops of nochi? And why he loves his wine he loves his noch and those dinners were we would go to those dinners and I'm like, fuck nocchi again, man, dude, everybody doesn't like what you like. And so I was always make friends with whoever to show hey, man, can you bring me a bring me a kettle, one tonic, bring me something you know, and then bring me a uh, bring me a steak. And I will always try to find a way around what he wanted. You know. So he got to a point where he was like, just order what you want, guys, it's on me, and don't ever do that. I was like, yo, man, bring me something that louis out here. Now. He did that just to build the team he was trying to build. He just dove doing it, you know, because it's his team. It's ding team building. But I think to me, it was more so to keep us together. And I'm like, I'm like, you got a team, you got to worry about keeping us together. Now, this was the Lakers, we'd be all over the place. But this team, everybody wanted to do stuff together. We wanted to go to movies together. We wanted to go to comedy shows together. We just did a lot of stuff together.
Speaker 2: So that's the difference between the Dynasties and Lakers. You know, they were out and about doing that thing intensil town, Hollywood, Oh Hollywood's good, and then you know.
Speaker 1: You're going to comedy shows. Nity. Is that the biggest difference between the Dynasties. That's that's the biggest diference. And because if you really think, you think about the dynamics, you had a really good guard in Jenobli and Kobe, you had a really good big and Tim and Shaq, and then you had really like Bruce Bourne's pretty much our Rick Fox and I was me and me on both teams. So you look at the culture you have him, you kind of have mirror images of everybody, but they had this was probably better in this aspect and vice versa. But I just think when you look at this era of basketball, you always had something center around a really good big. And for me, even though everybody now looks at the madel that Golden State put out there and they went in there all their championships, and everybody tries to immilate that now, you know, back then it was MLA, you know, dream MLA, Patrick Ewing, Shack, Tim Duncans, all these legendary bigs, and now it's all about legendary guards and not realizing there's only been one team that's one with the legendary guards outside you know, outside of the Bulls. But they had Scotty Pepper, who he's a guard. But everybody wants to immlate Golden State wars like it only happened because you got the two best shooters of all time on one team. And if you have that you can do it because you know, Milwaukee wanted big, Lakers want it big. You know, look at Denver want it big. You gotta have a dominant big to win this game and be but every now and then you have a lucky guy like the Golden State Warriors. I like, I like seeing them do well.
Speaker 2: I like seeing them, but it's not my squad anymore.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but they still have a good big and Draymond Green. So Ramon, he's the stir that that that stirs that thing. He's the straw that stirs the drink. That's what the saying. But when it comes to basketball, I think you always have to have someone with a little nasty in him. It's not afraid to like talk trash, elbow someone in the mouth or something like that, because you you have to have that to try to intimidate people. Got to you, got it? We got any Kobe stories before we go to our next summent. I think for me, you know, when you talk about hard workers, you know, you hear the stories and you hear what he's doing, but and you appreciate everything. But the thing he had that nobody ever told me. He had a thirst for knowledge. That's what I always say yeah he has. I mean, you can talk about football, basketball, the piano, you know, movies, music. He had a thirst for everything, you know. I remember we were on the plane coming from somewhere. We were playing spades and he's sitting there like this, just looking and just looking because he wanted to learn how to play space. I'm like, dude, I said, you're black. You're supposed to have to play space. Dude. He's like, see, this is what happened. When you don't go to college. You don't have downtime. We have to play space and so and it was just weird that, you know, I taught him how to play space, and I'm gonna back this thing up. And the first moment I ever met Kobe, I had just got traded to the Lakers and we just finished a shoot around and this shoot around. This dude going like one hundred miles power. I'm like, dude, this is shoot around. Calm down. I gotta get better. I said, you're not gonna get better when we're walking and you're running. So after practice he comes over. I thought he's gonna you know, I just wanted to get to know me. He was like, so, how was dream? He wanted to know how Dream was with, how Dream footwork were, what kind of work he put in, And then he want to know about Vernon's defense because Vernon was one of the ones that was known to guard Michael Jordan the best. He just wanted to know. He's just picking my brain about everybody I played with because he's like, you're champion, tom me, how it was. I'm like sitting there and we literally sat out the practice for like forty five minutes, you know, just talking about my two championships with the with the Rockets and how it was and how we won and all that kind of stuff. He was just amazed at, you know, learning Dreams footwork.
Speaker 2: That is, I mean, that is such a perfect way. I don't I didn't know him, but he came and spoke to our team. Uh And we used to have guys all the time come in speak in the off season, come speak to the team. And that's exactly what I what I think about when I think of Kobe Bryant. Knowledge, thirsty, yes, and how diversified.
Speaker 1: His interests were. Yes, and the killer instinct that he had. Those are the three things.
Speaker 2: Because he was asking, you know, we broke up into some groups, and you know, a couple of us sat with them and talked, and he was asking us just as many questions as we were asking him.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean, Because he wants he loved winning. Yes, he just wanted to win. He wanted to do anything. It took just from the two hours that I got to spend around him. Yeah, And I think his intensity was too intense for a lot of people, especially in the basketball world, because if you go back, there was a lot of people that didn't like him because they understand him. He's like he had that philosophy is like most people from the ain'ts had, Like I don't want to be your friend. I'm not trying to go hang out with you. I'm trying to kick your butt, you know. And that's the one thing that I appreciate about what Yanna said. Now he says, I'm not trying to be anybody's friend. You can come play with me and then I'll be your friend. But other than that, I don't want to be your friend because if I got to punch you in the mouth, I gotta punch in the mouth. And that's the that's the attitude you gotta have. And I don't know how it is with you guys like I couldn't do with you guys at the end of the game. You go out there and you shake hands with it. But I can't do that shit unless I played with him in college. I ain't doing that. You know, it's definitely changed.
Speaker 2: And Brady went on record a couple of days ago saying that, you know how it's changed like that. We I remember I hated the New York Jets when I first got there. I remember Bart Scott getting in my fucking offensive coordinator Billy O'Brien's face.
Speaker 1: And saying, fuck you White.
Speaker 2: Literally there's close I'm sitting there, Billy Oh's motherfuck him. I was like, these people, we really hate this team. That was my introduction to like hating someone. And uh, just a lot of messes that, you know, but that was that's competition, you know.
Speaker 1: And speaking of messes, let's segue to how we clean up messes.
Speaker 2: We have the bounty Wingman question of the day, because when you have a mess, you know how to clean up the mess with the bounty paper. How can you bring them in here?
Speaker 1: Sam?
Speaker 2: So we have this wingman question segment. These are the one not those wings that are so hot when we don't do that. Here, take one of these.
Speaker 1: And it's time for the Bounty wingman question.
Speaker 2: Bounty is everyone's favorite wingman because you can't have football without wings, and you can't have wings without Bounty.
Speaker 1: We got the wings. Let's try these wings. We got the blue. That's your hun Did you make these yourself? So my question for you is who is someone from your career you consider your wingman? Someone you knew that when they were on the cord, even without them, you could always be like you knew where they're at. Who's your wing man from the From the Rockets, I had really two wing men. It was Sam Cassel because we were you know, same age, came in the league at the same time. But when I know, if I'm getting ready to get into a fight or some you know, some pushing, and Shoven's gonna be there, Vernon Maxwell right there behind you, you know, to probably take over the fight.
Speaker 2: You got always guys that you bringing his alley.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And then when I got to the Lakers, it was it was more show Rick Fox. Rick Fox was my wing man, Rick Yeah. Is he not too pretty to be a wing man? No? Rick rick Iss Feiston man you forget him, I know, but you wing man is supposed to But and then you got to think about it. If you know, if you're going out in the town, who better than have a pretty ball with you man? You get and the crazy part of his ex wife, my ex wife when we were married to our best friends now still today because he and I were wingmen. Yeah, so and then they get the spurs. It was. It was Bruce Boyne. You know, we sat next to each other on the plane, you know, same age kind of, and so we just kind of hung out. So those are my those are wing men's. It's different when you have three different teams, you know. And if you for me, it is you always kind of gravitate towards people who have the same work ethic as you, who have from similar backgrounds, without a doubt. I wouldn't say that because some of my wing men, oh you know they did.
Speaker 2: We didn't have the same backgrounds, but we definitely have the same values, you know, Matthew Slater, I had different kind.
Speaker 1: Of wing man's.
Speaker 2: You know, you have wingman for like if you if you need some some holiness or or some some loving up, or you need some to feel good, that was Matthew Slater. If I'm going out for a little mischief, I'm gonna have a little crazy night.
Speaker 1: My wingman's Danny A. Mondola, you know, you know. And if I need some production and I need that rock, my wing man is Brady. I gotta go with Brady. You know.
Speaker 2: Bounty and Wings my favorite duo. And that was the Bounty wing man question. What a delicious, delicious wing and even leaner.
Speaker 1: Face because of Bounty. It gets in your beard, right, So when you and Danny every went out, did they ever get y'all confused? No, that's pretty racist. Due it's a thing.
Speaker 2: No, honestly, it happens all the time. And I say the same things.
Speaker 1: White guys. Yeah, it's funny.
Speaker 2: Because it'll either be you know, they mix you, mix you up with Welker Amondola or or or me.
Speaker 1: But think about the three of y'all together, which is great. We didn't know well, I know you didn't play together. But I'm just saying, y'all, just the things y'all able to do is just pro like will and greatness to me, and and the precision y'all used to do it, and the way that y'all used to just you know, put your bodies on the line. Was like, I'm like, I can't do that. Ship you could if it.
Speaker 2: Was your field, if mom would have let you play football, you would.
Speaker 1: Have done it. Man, I got too much area to hit.
Speaker 2: Mantonio Gates basketball guys.
Speaker 1: Man, they can go out there and make a ball.
Speaker 2: But the funny thing is, you said, Sam Cassell, you know the same.
Speaker 1: You know Sam? He's my boy, is it? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Me and Mondola one day because Sam we got We linked up one time and we brought him out over to the bungalow over in Santa Monica. He was coaching, I think, and we had a crazy day at the bungalow and we've stayed in contact ever since.
Speaker 1: But he's he's because now he's in Boston. He's in Boston. Yeah, he just hit me up. But Sam's Sam. Yeah, he's a good dude. Yeah. We lived across the street from each other. When we first got to the Rockets. We was dry to practice together. We used to complained about Rudy t not running no plays for us to gether. We did allowed to have a guy to complain with. Yeah, exactly, Matthew, are you sitting there like fuse coach. Yeah, Jackie set up the stage of.
Speaker 3: This game all right, leading it up. As we mentioned earlier, before this game this game five were tied to to We stressed on the importance of a game five in these kind of series seventeen the last twenty three winners of Game five go on to win the series. That is true in this instance as well. Each game leading up to Game five was decided by double digits, which was which was kind of a surprise given this was This was a battle of two defensive minded teams to top five defenses pretty evenly matched.
Speaker 1: As the day we're defense wins championships, which was it was.
Speaker 3: It was surprising that all these games were were double digits, so people were kind of waiting for that one game turned out to be Game five where it was gonna be neck and neck overtime down to the wire. The game before this, Game four was a thirty one, ugly, one oh two seventy one loss for the Spurs. Pop called it the worst half of basketball he's seen an NBA playoff team play, So I can only imagine how that that went. After that game, Robert, you know, it was weird.
Speaker 1: After that game, Pop was like, you know, he came in, we just got to ask kick. You know, forget about it. Let's prepare for tomorrow, go get some rests, and we're gonna go on to the next one. It's like and as a player, when you get your ass kicked, you know you got and the coach can come in in and say, because you already pissed, especially in the situation like this game four, you should have won this game. You know, you thought you should have won the game, but we just got to ask him and see, you know what, wash it. And the worst thing they ever do to someone is beat them like that because the next game, you know you're gonna be really pissed off. So it's that added motivation.
Speaker 3: And this was this was tough because, as Robert was saying earlier, this was back in the days of two three to two. So you just get your ass kicked there. You're hoping to go home these days, you go back to your place, you win game five, but we're steal in Auburn Hills here, So this was this was a tough turnaround before game five. Also noted that the series prior to this went seven games, so Detroit was kind of come and off a short wrestling lant two days two days rest before the series started, So some say maybe that's why they dropped the first two. I mean, quick, ress, they got right back into it. This was also the first meeting of two NBA Prior champions since eighty seven Celtics Lakers in this matchup. But yeah, getting into this all kind of leading up to Game five.
Speaker 2: Man, So I just want to know what's the mindset going into finals for your team going into this because you're you're playing the champs from the year before, but you guys were kind of I mean, you're a champ, you've been champing all your career, but you guys were kind of in that process of becoming a team that had that dynasty, you know what I mean. Yeah, So like, how do you what's the mindset going into it as a team? And then individually for you, someone who's played in every other year is in a fucking championship, So what made you know? What were the what were the mindsets?
Speaker 1: The mindset is to clear your mind of all the outside noise and what gonna be My dad is not the think about tickets, not think about you know, your parents, your wife, your kids, Because you can get off track. I know that sounds weird. You know, you think about your kids, but you just say, you know, you have a partner that's really good. Did like, I got you, this is the most important time in your career. I got everything. If anything pops up that I think you need to be involved in, I'll let you know. But you clear your mind. So your only focus is basketball. And that's the one thing about what Popper was really good about. He was good at showing you not to do this, not do that, block out this, block out that. So the only thing you need to do is basketball. And I kind of already knew that though before coming into the situation. I learned that, you know, dealing with you know, the Rockets and the Lakers and five championships before this one, and so you learn how to block out the noise. And my whole thing was I used to always take a moment and just kind of meditate and do visualization. That was my key, where I vision the ball going in, the vision the ball going in, you know, locking this up, playing this role defense, thinking about my opponent has to do, and going over the plays and these were all things that you know I would do personally and then you know that, you know, and I would tell like Tim like like dude, I'd be in his ear like, you Knowshid kicks your ass man, you know, little motivating things like that. And I would go to Genova, Yo, man, just play wild and fierce, but under control. And you look at me, like what I said, play wild and fish under control. When I say under control means if it's not one hundred percent sure you can get that pass to a guy, don't throw it. It's like, okay, gotcha. And you had to just and some of the guys you talked to Tony, I would Tony, just played under control. I love Tony. You didn't really to say much to him. So it was all these things that within the game, within the game that we had to do to prepare. But it was, it was. It was a hell of a series.
Speaker 2: People don't realize that the distractions that come with going into a championship series for you guys, for a game.
Speaker 1: For us, that was the thing.
Speaker 2: You know, like as soon as you made to the Super Bowl, we'd have that week off and you go into you know, you you had to deal with tickets, getting the hotels for your family, friends, getting all that situated in the first two days so you could literally do everything you could to win the game. Because this is one thing Belichick used to tell us. He goes, you know, if you want to go out and have fun with your family, this that you know, and you lose the game, it ain't gonna be a good memory.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: You do all this, it's for your The festivities are for your family. You go out and win, You're gonna have the greatest memory of your life, you know what I mean. So put everything that you can control, your blinders on, do extra of the little things so you can go out and play fast, free and subconsciously like dialed for the game, you know what I mean. And it's crazy to hear you talk about visualization, because I used to do that every every day, you know, with I do these bald drills off the walls to get my eyes right for the day, you know, so for reactions and ship and I would always want I was doing and I was visualizing, you know, catch hit cat, you know what I mean, all those little things. And it's crazy how far that takes an athlete, you know, So.
Speaker 1: Did it take did it carry over into your dreams though.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I had the same dream since I was like twelve.
Speaker 1: I had a coach. His name was I think it was. He was an older guy soccer football, football's.
Speaker 2: I think it's he's Polly and uh. I remember he was teaching me. I was a little running back and he I remember him telling me about this. You got to use a stiff arm too when you're on the sideline. Stiff arm and a spin so the guy overruns it.
Speaker 1: And you can throw him by.
Speaker 2: And I've had and I had the same dream where I was at Santa Clara High School playing against Oak Grove and I did the move and I scored. I still have that dream of this day, Like I don't know why.
Speaker 1: It's crazy like for me, I would literally have that and then my wife, my first wife, would wake me up, like you're doing it again. I'm literally playing a game and we literally have to get up and change the sheets because I would literally be sweating like I played the game. It was the weirdest thing ever. And that shows you how powerful the mind is if you can you know, believe it, achieve it, and see if you can do it. So it was like crazy, how like okay, then I go out another game like that's one of the when I had those dreams like that, I usually shot the ball really good the next game because my mind just took over. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So it's a back and forth night.
Speaker 1: Yeah all night.
Speaker 2: Were there any of the big game adjustments from Pop at halftime or anything.
Speaker 1: No, The only big game adjustment was me at halftime because I think I was zero for three or oh for four. I sucked in the first at And I remember sitting in the corner, and I like to always put my locker in the corner doing the playoffs, So you know, no distracts even from my teammates with guys listening to their music. As a girl, you know, talking on the phone. I was like I was literally there talking to myself, and I could see Bruce Boyn kind of look at me because I was like saying, Yo, Rob, you fucking sucked the night you're supposed to be big shop Bob, you fucking terrible. I'm telling myself that I said, you got to get going. You know this, you don't you don't win this game, you might lose, I'm telling And Bruce is looking at me like this dude going crazy, right, And so I and I rarely do that. And then I did that, and then next thing, you know, I come out in the second half, I just ball out because it's you have to play those mind tricks with yourself. Sometimes you have to talk yourself into a moment. And I talk myself to me to one of the greatest moments in NBA history as far as like you know, dropping twenty one with no plays call for you and not being the main car get the machine. So I just felt like, Okay, I did what I needed to do to get me over that hump.
Speaker 2: Talking yourself into moments, folks, kids, talk yourself in the moments, says Bruce Lee used to say when you say negative things in your mind. I don't know the actual quote, but I should set it on Instagram, you know.
Speaker 1: But it stays there. It stays there, and it all.
Speaker 3: It all boils down to what Rob said before this game in the presser. A lot of people talk to talk. We gotta go out there and walk the walk.
Speaker 2: You gotta you gotta take us, you gotta take us. Okay, They're back and forth, back and forth. We're here to talk about one thing, and one thing. Take us through the last shot. Beat by beat.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, we're sitting there. The play was actually for my Minu Genoble. It wasn't for me. I was supposed to mbound into Minu and then set a pick, pick and roll for so he can get to the rat. And so I'm seeing him come off the pick from Tim and I was like, Okay, the only past I can do is to bounce pass, because that's the only I can get to a bounce path. And bounce passes I hate, but sometimes you got. And when I bounced it, Rashid kind of looked at it like, oh, he's really close, so he went for the trap, and so I just stepped in and I was on fire. So I wasn't going to try to put it on the floor to create for you anyone. So I took the shot and and after I was watching, I didn't realize Tayshawn Prince, one of the best defensive players in the game. He almost blocked the shot. But when you so focused on your shot, you don't even see him. And then next thing you know, it rattles in and we go up, we go up, and we win this game. Man. You know, it's just you know, you know, I noticing the clip earlier that you had. You showed Eminem up there, and I never talked trash. And Eminem was behind the bench, said you won't be getting number six to night, buddy, and I looked at him, and so I started talking trash to Eminem because I said, I said, after they hit that first, I said, you in fucking trouble now, dog, they better fucking get me. I SAIDs on s. He just started smiling, right. He didn't say much. And then after I did this dunk on rip, I looked at him like, I told you, it's fucking over. So it was just it was just one of those things. I never talked trash. But when someone talks trash me and it's Eminem, you know, one of the greatest rappers all the time, go we them. Yeah, And so I had to talk trash back to her man. So moment we got to rename this game. This is the Eminem game.
Speaker 2: Eminem, thank you for talking ship the big shot Bob, because it made him talk himself into a moment. He talked himself into a moment.
Speaker 3: Twenty one points in the last seventeen minutes.
Speaker 2: Twenty one points in the last seventeen.
Speaker 3: We also got who's who of Michigan here tonight. Chris Weber's in the building. Jalen Rose is in the building. Barry Sanders is in the Barry Sanders, tom Izzo's in the building. Michael Moore's in the building.
Speaker 1: We got we got Kid Rocket.
Speaker 3: Rock Car America the Beautiful before the game. Yeah, Penny Marshall, the homie, is in the building. Just to name a few. How'd you guys become tight?
Speaker 1: By the way, uh, you know Lakers with the Lakers, My seats used to be behind Penny Marshall's seats for the Lakers, and my middle son was he will always come to the court and give me a hug before the games, and and Penny would see the relationship we had. So next thing, I know, two games later, I'm looking, He's sitting in Penny's lap eating Krispy Kreme, and I'm like, what the hell going on? He just I just loved She's like, I just love your son. And that's the one thing about you know, the Lakers season ticket holes that sit on the court some of the nicest people you ever meet, and if you treat them with respect, they gonna you know, you know, develop a relationship I remember this one lady. I can't. I can't. I cannot remember her name anymore. But I fell on her doing the game and I tried to avoid her, but it's one of these ones you can't avoid. And she was the elder lady. Every game I will go out and ask her how she's doing actually doing so. She remember like three games before the season, she came to me. She's like, Robert, come over. She's like, I said, how are you? She says, don't you have a sick daughter. I'm like yeah. She says, do you mind if I get your address and send you something like sure, I don't mind. So season's over. Next thing, I get this big ass box on my front step. I'm like, what the heck is this? And it was from her. Apparently her husband was one of the guys who worked for Disney that died in that plane crash way way back, and she was a part of Disney. She seen me all this Disney stuff for my kids. I mean, my kids room were decorated Disney. I gave out Christmas gifts for kids in the neighborhood with Disneys for long cause she just sent me a whole box of stuff. Man, it was just it was just That's but I'll always tell people it's about the relationships that you make with the people in so many guys are arrogant, they are like they're above the people that come to these games. I always, you know, speak to fans, and you know, I try to talk to them when I'm in a good movie. That's what I'm always in it. But you just try to form those relationships because you never know who you're talking to, especially with you know, people that you see so often.
Speaker 2: Like I had a couple, you know, fans that became real close friends, Susan Reagan, Trish Kennedy, you know these ladies that like they were they were like our team moms.
Speaker 1: Okay, you know what I mean that, Like they always took care of us.
Speaker 2: They were always at every charity event that were holding, you know, and just sweet people. And that's the cool thing about sport. It's it's a community that allows you to learn people that you never thought you'd get to learn, Like who.
Speaker 1: Like I remember one time I got a phone call from Jack Nicholson actually invite me to a party. I got a call from Seldom High. Did he give you a voicemail or is his voice just sounds so cool. He has the coolest voice. Is he has the coolest voice? How did do you say? Hey?
Speaker 2: Rob?
Speaker 1: He says, I have an event I want to invite you to. You come, I says, yes, I come, all right? See that it was really quick, comfortable. It's not like it was like straight to the point. I'm like, in the back of your mind, like, how the hell you get my number in the same And I know I knew how Sea High it got my number, and it was just it was just playing in La you get to meet these celebrities who are such fans of yours and vice versa. So it's I said, the Lakers are the best organizations to play for, not just for the fact that they always win and and they take care of their family, but the people you have access to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, wow, you talked to Sheet or Chauncey.
Speaker 1: Oh Shot. I talked to Sheet about it. I talked because she's cool to say. I have never No, I never talked to Chance about it. You know. I think I think being Chance to have a rival that he don't know about is because he calls himself missed big shot, And I'm like, dude, really, you just can't take my name and throw miss on the front of him, try to make it yours. You can't. I mean, how many how many rings he got? What he got?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 1: Three? Two? What do you go? You got as many as me? That's all I know, one alive other than sir ru Yeah.
Speaker 3: Wow, Chauncey's only got one year before. Yeah, Johnson only got one year before.
Speaker 1: Yeah he does player though. Yeah, I love Chance you know, doing good, big things with Portland right now. Chaunce and I want we have the same common really good friend Roy Rogers, not the actor of the basketball player, and he you know, we both went his wedding. So I love Chancey, but I'm the real big shot, not him with.
Speaker 2: Doubt And it doesn't even sound right, big shot, big shot Chance, big shot billups Nah, big shot Bob.
Speaker 1: Bob just rolls off the tome. What about Bob? Remember that movie? Yeah? Yeah, that's that's one thing. You realize that you watch a lot of movies when you travel a lot in the NBA, y'all, y'all, I think what y'all travel? Like? What seven times? Maybe if that ten? Like we're traveling all the time. So I used to have just a laundry list of movies that have my little I don't remember what they called it, but it had all the movies on it. I just watched movie for days. Even the team used to come like, Rob, what's good to watch? Because I'm just a movie free Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we have a lot of downtime at our house, you know what I mean. So like you're at the facility for twelve thirteen hours, twelve hours and do that. Man, then you know, you get home and there'd be a lot of video game guys, a lot of movie guys, you know, and then you got your guys that are single and mingling.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because I think I think y'all would y'all have to be at the facility with like an eight in the morning eight, you know, I'd get there probably fifteen. I like to get my routine in before because I had to.
Speaker 2: I'd have to like do I'd like get my body right, I'd get a lift in, I'd do my ball drills. I had like a routine of things that made me comfortable to go out and have my best day, you know. And I saw the I saw the guys before me that were around for a long time that did that, you know, the Troy Brown's, the Tom's, the Kevin Falkes, the Teddy Brusk. He's like, you know, you watch when you're a young guy and you watch, you watch the studs.
Speaker 1: You know, at least that's what I did.
Speaker 2: I watched them and I'd sit and they were always doing something to make themselves better, you know. And you know I didn't have a wife or you know, I didn't have I was a mercenary bro. I was there for football, you know, pretty much my whole career. I had my daughter, you know, probably my eighth ninth year, eighth year, but you know, like when it was football time, everyone knew that it was football time.
Speaker 1: That's that's the thing about you know, you talk about the two sports that you guys are way more I think sometimes they're way more disciplined when it comes to your craft because for us, it's like we have those days when you shoot the ball back. Okay, I gotta get there early and get some shots up because a typical day for us is, you know, you might get there like this is different for the guys like Cob will get there eight o'clock practices at eleven o'clock. He gets there like I would get to practice at ten o'clock. Practice is over at one o'clock. I'm probably out to do about three o'clock. You know, it's almost half the time you guys do because you got meetings. We hardly ever had meetings.
Speaker 2: You know, when everything comes down to you performing once a week for three hours, you know, you have to make sure you get every kind of thing tendency, you know, film that like you dial and put your eggs all in that one basket. You know, you can't afford to slip a game. You know, every game there's only seventeen now there were sixteen when I was playing. You know, every game means something, which in basketball, you guys could go and you know, you guys have a couple off night in Miami or something.
Speaker 1: But you got eighty six more, uh no, eighty two game season. You drop one game, you can make it up on a team like that, someone's injured or you just like have one of those hot shooting nights. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So the final score ninety six, ninety five, they couldn't there was one one second left.
Speaker 1: They couldn't do anything. You go on, you get the.
Speaker 2: Ship, you get your sixth ring.
Speaker 1: How come you guys, couldn't go back to back. People in San Antonio get mad at me for telling this story. I'm gonna tell it. So you know, that's the year the Dallas Mavericks won. Yeah so they So we playing Dallas. We're up three in game seven, were up three. He says, don't file. If they get a layup, fine, take it out. So Derek has it. He goes to the whole Man New thousand and one, goes to the free throw line, makes the free though, we go in overtime. We lose, and so they go on to win that championship. And if Monu doesn't file, we you know, we win that game. We win game seven, We're going to win that series. Were going to the finals.
Speaker 2: So we not give them the sit down before the game. We got to play fast hard.
Speaker 1: But if the passes we said, we literally said do not foul in the huddle. Later maybe it was we needed Spanish.
Speaker 2: You know they say Spanish different in Argentina.
Speaker 1: It's like not kay. Maybe yeah. So and then people get mad at me, like I'm not blaming Mono, do you know me for that? I'm not blaming him, but I'm just saying, if we win that game, we three peat three. So I'm sitting here at eight time championship and Brady is still want to go to catch me.
Speaker 2: Come on, Tommy gotta come on. You know you gotta come back.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Now, what's your best championship parade story?
Speaker 1: Is it from here? Is it from la? Is it from where? Is it? I? You know, Houston? I would have to say Houston. And the only reason I'm gonna say Houston is because we went back to back. I ain't gonna lie. I got so hammered that night after that game. You think about it, we swept the Orlando Magic. We went back to back, a sixth seed. I'm hammered. I wake up in some girls apartment. It's not it was my buddy's girlfriend. I wake up in an apartment. I'm like on the floor and of a tree. I think I'm literally outside and I look at my You know, this is before cell phones, so I look at my watch. It was eleven o'clock. The parade starts at eleven o'clock. So literally, if people look at the parade the second parade, it was held up because I didn't make it there on time. You talk about not being on time, but I had to go home shower, explaining my fiance what happened, and she looking at me cross side and she was like And then we went to the parade and I got it was I was so hungover on the prayer. I'm like this on the fire truck waving up people. I was just that's the memorable, you know. The LA one was nice too, though. To see all the fans come out for LA and see Mark Mattson dance, it was just it was bananas for that because I grew up a Lakers fan and to be able to finally bring a championship to the Lakers after having great years in the Forumhound four All Stars, getting swept by all the drama that we had, and then being a new building, the State per Center, and bring that championship back to LA. It was an amazing feeling. You know, they're two different, you know, reasons why you love certain things, and when you win championship. You know, on multiple teams, there's always a factor for everything, but the San Antonio ones. But I hate to say this was kind of boring because we just went around the riverwalk, you know what I mean, and the people, the fans, the Sanatori fans are bananas and freaks. But I want to be able to know, you know, look not up at fans, looking down the fans, not nothing. I don't mean in a bad way, because you can throw them shirts and stuff like that and you have it's a better interaction, you know, in San Antonio in the middle of the river walk and the people up here and it's they can't throw bees and confitte on you because you can't pollute the riverwalk. So that's what That's what I mean by that. So because I have to be careful what I say, because people in San Antonio always feel like I'm just bashing them when I'm not. I mean, it's probably a little different. You know.
Speaker 2: My my parade moments are, you know, going down Boilston on a duck boat, almost getting hitting the head with a beer, catching a couple, chugging them, throwing them. It's so crazy. The parades I used to try. I used to tream, like Ferris Bueller day off. Did you on top of the fucking floats?
Speaker 1: Did you have your shirt off? A couple of times it was like twenty degrees. You know, that's the thing that every parade now, every athlete has to take this shirt off and show off their body, like, look at me, I got I got a six pack eight fact, I'm ripped.
Speaker 2: I was in a T shirt definitely shouldn't have been T shirt. Whether well, let's let's let's get into this. Where does Pop rank among the greatest coaches of all time? Is it Pop or is it coach Jackson? You know what, It's different, they're they're they're different but the same. The fact that you know, Phil wasn't a yeller. He wouldn't yell at you. Pop will yell at you. And that's the difference in them. But they all emphasized defense and you know, doing your job. You know, we responsible for you number and then re responsible for the team. And I think those are the two things that that that you can compare them with. And they had a control of the team, and they had a respect from the team, because once you coach great players that guys view as great ones, and you win a championship with those great ones, you're gonna get the ultimate respect for us and and for me though, it's like I look at them and everybody once you always pick When I said, why do I have to pick just one?
Speaker 1: You know what I mean? I love both of them. But I, you know, but it's weird though I never had a relationship with either one of those guys. I had a relationship with Rudy T when I played with the Rockets, neither one of those guys, because that was more so on my end because I had such a great relationship with Rudy T. And when they traded me to Phoenix, I felt like that was a stab in the back. So I never wanted to have a relationship with coaches anymore. You went from personal slash business or just straight business. Yeah, it's hard. People don't realize that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, And that's why some coaches, you could say, are like that with certain players, you know, the straight business, because they know there's going to be a time where feelings get involved.
Speaker 1: And for me, you know, it's a business from day one because you're getting paid for it, and you shouldn't, like, you know, people get their feelings involved. And I had to said, all right, on the flip end of this, what would you do if this was your business and you had an employee who wasn't living up to your expectations? Would you keep them around just because you love him? Oh? You put them out to passion. And that's just how you know sports is. You gotta understand it's a business. You're gonna make money. These these the reason these guys own these teams, these billionaires, because they are no nonsense type of guys, and so you got to take it like that. It is a production business.
Speaker 2: You know what's more impressive winning seven rings with one team or seven rings with three teams?
Speaker 1: You know, I'll be honest, I think if you can win seven rings with one team, and this era is impressive because you got to think about the turnover and the other teams trying to build their team to beat you. There's so many teams that you say, Okay, I'm going to have this guy just for shock. So I need to know the files. I had the file because you look at the way the Sacramento Kings were built. They had like two guys that sound the bench, didn't play all year until they played the LA Lakers. The beat up shock and you got and these teams do that because it's it's reality. Like when you sit down, like right now in the NBA, everybody's like, we need to find a way to beat Yokics. That's what every team is saying because he's such a dominant player on the offensive end, you know, the defensive end. We need to beat Yokis. You know, before it was how to beat Curry, but now it's how to beat your Yokis because he's on top of the ground, on top of the hill. So that's what every team does. They try to figure out how to beat you. And for you to win that many championships in the road means everything everybody threw out you, U was able to dodge it and get to your mountaintop. So I say seven, but it's don't get me wrong. Now, seven championships in general is hard to win.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So with the constant turnover of teams now and the parody in the league and new guys coming, is anyone ever going to get seven rings again?
Speaker 1: You know, I don't. I don't believe so. And I think, you know, I thought it would be Lebron, but I don't think it's going to be Lebron now. I hope so because that means the Lakers win championships. That means, you know, I get another ring because I'm a part of the Lakers staff. But and I don't think and if you look at Steph unless he goes to another team, and I don't think he will because of the lord the factor there. I don't see it, and there's nobody else that's even you know, close to that, I think who I think Lebron and Steph are the only ones that have four rings. Then that means they got to win it three more years, so they can't. Then how you're gonna make the playoffs. I think he's an incredible player, I think, but young. He's young. But my my roocular year is chet Check Holmern because he's basically what Wenby was last year as far as physicality. He was that skinny, but because he got hurt, he was able to get in the weight room, put some some weight on it, and start to understanding the NBA game. So I think in about three to four years, you know, he's gonna be a beast to continue because he's so he's so skilled. He's able to block shots from forty feet away. So it's just gonna be amazing what he's able to do once he gets a little weight and a little bit more NBA knowledge. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean I've only watched him a couple of times and you can definitely see, you know, the Euro game and the ness and you know, he can make every shot and do all that.
Speaker 1: But I was watching. I don't know who it was, but there was some.
Speaker 2: Some some dude about seven inches smaller than them man handling him.
Speaker 1: Daron Fox, I know exactly what you're talking about. Daron Fox pushed him so far out of the out of the box and then he traveled on top of that instead of just you know, putting the ball if it turned around. Looking at him, But he'll learn that.
Speaker 2: We got to all remember kids nineteen.
Speaker 1: Yes, he's eighteen. He's a fucking little boy. He can't by b yet. I bet you might get three more inches, yeah, you know, and it's it's so weird, just think about it. He can still grow and he can get stronger. Just I just hope he stays healthy, because that's the thing with when you get started getting big. Yeah, human bodies.
Speaker 2: Aren't supposed to be doing that, you know, especially with shoes and stuff.
Speaker 1: The feet, yeah, the feet for the big has.
Speaker 2: Always scare me. Yeah, because you guys are on that hard surface and I had a lot.
Speaker 1: Of foot problems. You had a lot of foot problems.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I broke both my feet well, just from you know over cutting and cutting so hard and I was.
Speaker 1: Very fortunately I only had one. I have two injuries to keep me out for a long period time. I strained my m c L and then I had a virus to attack my heart which gave me extra beats. So I missed a total of like three weeks for that and like five weeks for my knee. Jeez. Yeah, people don't realize how hard, yeah that is to stay that hell healthy. But it was all from training and the off season to prepare your body for that. Grind man got to you. Gotta we got to get into scoring the game real quick.
Speaker 3: Oh we got We got a couple quick stat corrections.
Speaker 1: Oh did I miss anything, Jackie?
Speaker 3: You were born March twenty second, nineteen eighty six.
Speaker 2: Well I was born May twenty second, but yeah, I'm born eighty six.
Speaker 3: There is the year eighty six football for a long time. Oh my Kobe dropped eighty one and six, not five. On the Vernon Maxwell incident February seventh, nineteen ninety five, Rockets Blazers at the Old Memorial Coliseum, Vernon went in the crowd in the infamous quote he said, kiss my ass, motherfucker to this guy. He went for him. He ended up getting suspend a ten games find twenty thousand dollars. The fans sued him for four point five million. It was settled out of court, so we don't know, we don't know the exact figures there.
Speaker 1: I didn't even know that the bullshit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it's a bump move.
Speaker 1: But the fans the part would set Vernon off. Vernon's daughter was still born, and so he had a tattoo her of her on his arm. And I remember I was sitting at the end of the bench and I could hear the fancy who's that bitch on your arm? Oh my god? And all I see was Vernon go cross the path me. I was like, oh shit, and I went up there to get him. So it was like and I hate when, like, you know, I don't know, I want to I want to love to know that situation happened, how much he got and it was selled out of court. Did David Stern step in? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Hey, you know, there's a big difference of saying someone's face and behind a keyboard. I stick to buying a keyboard. Boys, guys getting getting the gridiron jokers are coming up for you.
Speaker 3: Bro also in the crowd that night, Jerry Seinfeld and Bill Gates. They were lucky it wasn't them Seinfeld. Seinfeld probably has some dope ass shoes on.
Speaker 2: He's a sneaker junkie, low key. If you watch he has a bunch of cool sneakers. If you watch the show, He's.
Speaker 3: A Superman, guysm super Superman.
Speaker 1: Superman was in every episode, somewhere in every episode. Did you know that? I did not? Yeah, did you know?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Jerry loves He's obsessed with the Mets and Superman.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I used to be a Mets fan. Really yeah, Gary Carter fan. Yeah, I love the Giants.
Speaker 2: But also I was gonna get into you know, it's cool to like people that have good imaginations and like superheroes.
Speaker 1: Thatman's real, Man, he's real. He's the only one didn't have powers, right.
Speaker 2: He didn't have no powers. He had a bunch of gadgets and toys.
Speaker 1: Tony Star didn't have any powers either. I like Tony Stark too though. Yeah, just his brain, that's his superpower. Any guy that's hello rich with cool toys, that's me. I want that score this game.
Speaker 2: What's the name of this game? The Eminem game. I need to be eminem pissing off big shot Bob. What it's a good ring, a good jingle, I need a good jingle.
Speaker 3: I think the Eminem game sounds pretty good to me.
Speaker 1: The Eminem game. We got to get them on games and names.
Speaker 2: Will be right back after this quick break. So this is score the game presented by win Bet. We go through and we score all the games that we've done with our guests, and then we go and see where it lays on the chart of our games.
Speaker 1: So steak, So I have to be honest, is what you're saying. You gotta be honest. You gotta be honest.
Speaker 2: Steaks zero to ten decimals, Ok, one to ten?
Speaker 1: This game was it was had to be a ten man ten. Yeah, because you got to think about this. Game five won of the pivotal games you know you won, went away from winning a championship. I mean we did see game five.
Speaker 3: What's the stat, Jackie, seventeen out of the last twenty three win it. It's it's very important. In the seven game.
Speaker 2: Series, Kyler, what wherever are you shaking your head on the.
Speaker 3: Tyler's more, Game seven is what deserves a ten. So if you look at them.
Speaker 1: I think I only played in like what one game seven in the finals, two game seven in the finals. None in this playoff mix the Knicks played in. I'm talking about the NBA Finals. The Knicks we went game seven and this one went game seven. Because with the Lakers we never went game seven. We swept Orlando Magic, and then we swept the Nets. We lost one game against the Phillies. We won games you know six against the Pacers. Yeah, I only been to game seven, and then we swept the Cleveland Cavaliers in two thousand and seven. So think I've been part of three sweeps in the finals.
Speaker 2: He never lost in the fun he gets ten ten.
Speaker 1: So that's why making the game, that's why I get it to ten. You got seven.
Speaker 2: It goes a long way.
Speaker 1: Go nine point nine to make it better. Let's go nine point nine, nine point nine. I've been pressured into it, pure pressure. Star power.
Speaker 2: I mean we went over the stars, teams, crowd, everything.
Speaker 1: Well, you got to understand, like that star power is Michigan star power. And for me, it didn't mean to mean crap that those guys only start power. Me was Eminem you know, May Barry. I love Barry and so everybody else in the izo Michigan State who really cares about that? You know. So I'm gonna say this star power is like a six. Six, yeah, five, I'm gonna drop it down to a five because you gotta realized, a regular season game in a Laker uniform, we have all of that.
Speaker 3: A Michigan A lister is like an l a c lister.
Speaker 2: I mean, was at the top of the crowd.
Speaker 1: Writer, It's true.
Speaker 3: He had his shirt off in the crowd. I saw he was doing the PD Pablo twisting on his head. He was wild, you know, PD Pablo Carolina Man.
Speaker 1: Okay, no cac lay, all right, he is revered. What's the gameplay? One to ten game shot? You know, when overtime. So I have to get this, like, I'm gonna have to get this ten because it was overtime. It was you know, on the court, their coord you know, and then you have some guy by the name a big shot Bob that you know, just lit the ass up. So I had to get us on a ten, the real big shot, and he had to manifest it.
Speaker 2: He had to talk himself and do a moment because of Eminem the name of the game is the eminem game?
Speaker 1: What is zero to ten? I got it. I gotta get that an eight I don't get at eight eight eight eight straight eight straight the eminem game. You know, you know, you know it'd been better if you know it's a big shot, Bob, you know something like that.
Speaker 3: We can change that.
Speaker 1: We can change it. I mean giving too much them?
Speaker 2: No right now, I love, I love, have probably got like fifteen is.
Speaker 1: One of you know, he's one of the greatest rappers. Man, it's eight two.
Speaker 2: Where does it go on to the board?
Speaker 1: These are all the games we've done so ranked number one, okay, number two.
Speaker 3: It's because we had Mark Cuban in here and he screwed up our whole system. Can you give everything at ten? Rob and Rob?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Rob Rigel just gave everything straight tens Ara Man ninety nine Women's World Cup.
Speaker 1: Fine, okay, yeah, So this one's this one's right between the bush push.
Speaker 3: This one was right between that nineteen eighty five AFC Championship game and they Can't Wait game with with part Scott there and rich Eyes and can't wait.
Speaker 1: So you had Gibs in here, we had Gill in here. Yeah, Gill hates me. Really no, we have like it's a it's at Little Robber because you know, every show he likes it to say would you rather have three hundred million plan? Or would you rather have seven rings? And only made I think it's a I'm just say forty million, and I was like, wow, you know you want to put me out there, So I rather have seven champions No, I rather have the money. And so many people, you know, especially Jack Captain Jackson's you're a loser because you don't want to win. You just care about the money. And and just the other day he had Rashid on this show, and Rashid was like, I take the rings, and he shocked when people say they take take the rings because it's what you value more. Do you value winning or you value money more? You know what I mean? So so here's my question. You would you rather have seven championships to make forty million or have no championships with three hundred million?
Speaker 2: And be honest, because what people don't realize if you give yourself to the game and you win everything for winning, that forty million is going to turn way over to three hundred million because of the longevity you'll always have.
Speaker 1: For being a champion.
Speaker 2: Yes, you know what I mean, Like, what are you gonna celebrate when you have one hundred mel a three hundred mil? Yeah you got you know, you got seven rings and things.
Speaker 1: Yes. I always like, you know, you get so many time with me. Yeah, so many people say, I think it's three hundred million. It said, I can buy the many rings I want. But it's like, yeah, you can buy the rings, but they don't. It's not from your hard work and your sacrifice, you know what I mean, your dedication to the game. And you know, getting to the upper echelne, the apex of the mountain, well, only a few sits.
Speaker 2: There's only like three guys that shit in there, that apex. Rob we miss anything from the game. From the game other than that.
Speaker 1: We went on went home and played Game six and lost to them, and then we won Game seven and won a championship. And I think I think I started a trend then because when we wanted, you know, my whole thing was always out every game. I always grabbed the basketball. So I grabbed the basketball. And if you look at the picture, it's me and my son sitting there. So now everybody brings their sons out, you know, they do the press conference with their son. Like I feel like I was one of the guys that started that because I brought my son to Core. Now you know, I did everything with him, and I was just trying to because I knew my career was about to come to the end, but I wanted to share that moment with my kids. And from that and just so many other things that go on at from you know, me being the originator of small ball, you know, back when I was with Houston, and then just you know, now his transcending to what the game is today, and there's just so many things like that that I think about, even though I might not ever make the Hall of Fame, but I was a trendsetter. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well you're You're in our Hall of Fame, and you should be in the Hall of Fame. I mean, there's got to be a reason. You don't just go on teams and win championships for no reason. There's a chemical makeup, there's something that's been touched by God that allows people to do that, and I mean, I've never seen anything like that. I actually kind of hated you for a second because I jumped off that Warriors bandwagon for a while and went over to the Kings and you know a lot of web we had, you know, everyone bib and you put us down too.
Speaker 1: Well, you know the thing that people don't Yeah maybe, but you know the thing that people understand what comes along with the game. Now you're gonna go down this path. I'm gonna tell you something. Now. You know, everybody says that rep they want to blame the guy who got you know, arrested and put in jail. If you go back and look at game six, they made up for that. Nobody talks about Game six where they got all the calls. They got a couple of calls where they stepped out of bounds, clearly, they got a couple of calls where they shot the ball after the shot clock. They got that call. But nobody talks about what happened. You know what happened in game seven. Pager doesn't play in game seven. You remember that, there's no freaking way if you win this game, you know, you win the NBA Champions. He turned his ankle and did not play in that series. In this game seven and from getting to know you just now there's nowhere in hell that you wouldn't be out there on that court. You at least test it out to see if your ankle could go right. I'm going he didn't even test it out, So now they had to start a diet. And we win that series. So but nobody they want to talk about, you know, the game five, you know, the cheating and this and that. It's like, at the end of the day, you still up, you still have a chance to win. You have two more games to win that series. And you don't don't blame it all on one game because there's no telling if you go up three to one, there's no guarantee you win that game. You forgot who we had the best duo in basketball, Shaq and Kobe and you. Yeah. Yeah, So that's what I'm saying. So everybody's like, oh, we could have wanted no guarantee you win that game.
Speaker 2: You know, no, man, you gotta plug anything, you know.
Speaker 1: I just you know, for me, I'm doing my podcast. I did the Big Shot Pod Big Shot Pod podcast with a couple of Rob Jenners and Brandon Dude. We you know, we just sit around. We just have fun. We like have fun. What am I coming on? Whenever you have the time, man, you know, time and place I said it up place. I set it up with your people's man. You know. We usually you know, we we do it out of the home so you can be in your bath robe, where you can be on the toilet, whatever you want to do, we do it that it comfort your own home. But I like this set up. I like to come and be nosy and see what kind of ideas I can steal, like the Bruce willis you know, yeah, and that you know, and off the court, I'm on. You know. I'm working with this company called Shirko, which is kind of fun. It's about trying to help people save money's company save money where we come in and we do it. We analyze your company, and we talk to human resources and we make the insurance for each individual that come to better for the people. You know. It's it's it's weird how you know, there's a blanket, uh slate when it comes to insurance when a company comes to oh, you're just gonna get a B and C, but it might not work for you, and it might not work for him or her over there. And we come in and we we we analyze it and we we we we adjusted it works specifically for your needs. And so that's what I'm doing now, which is kind of fun. I love going into companies and trying to get them to, you know, come join our company. Let us do it. Let's talk to your HR and let us, you know, save your million dollars, like we save a couple of companies like three million dollars and so and this is all due to me being about this company, all due to me being a seven time NBA champion. So now this is out making that three hundred million ups. I mean, you know what it takes to win.
Speaker 2: And when you deal with companies and corporations that are all thirsty to win, and they want to know what the X factor is. You bring in an X factor, big shot Bob.
Speaker 1: They want to know, you know how, how the winning attitude of win, the mentality winning mentality. And to me, there is something that can't be explained. Yeah, you score a lot of points, Yeah you did this, but did you win? What did you bring to the team other than your points? And did you bring the right attitude? Did you bring the right the right work ethic? Did you inspire others? Is another way? Did you know how to you know what was? What's what Michael Jordan's say, take things personal and you know and turn that into dubbs. That's what it's all about.
Speaker 2: You know who won today games with names. For having you on here once again, Big shot Bob, thanks for coming on.
Speaker 1: Man, my pleasure brother. Thank you inviting me anytime. Boy.
Speaker 2: I could have sat and talked to him for hours, Big Shot Bob, what a guy. Military time here early early tech stories.
Speaker 3: Take fleece On took his shoes off the minute he entered the house.
Speaker 2: I respectful. I felt obligated to take my shoes off in my own house.
Speaker 1: I did too. Can I just bring the real quick? Ten minutes before a shoot is not that early?
Speaker 2: How many athletes have you worked with? And how many athletes have ever been ten minutes early to.
Speaker 3: A t facts facts A man that played under Greg Popovich pop pop, military, fam Bama football Baby.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was so cool and it was cool to get his perspective from both Pop and Jackson and a lot of that pop stuff. Sound belichicky, Oh my god, Like I know you got the Air Force with Poppy, got Navy with Bill, but like the brain and trust and just but instead of like the same time, my comparison would be like see you know, we're at the trail mixed station at the fucking cafeteria.
Speaker 3: Bill was a trail mix guy.
Speaker 2: He put his hands in it in the communal pot bro bro coach. What the fuck, dude, there's the Scoopers. They literally have the Scoopers. I feel like we've talked about this before.
Speaker 1: I want to.
Speaker 3: I don't know that we have. Dude, imagine what if he did that like the Whole Foods. If he did it the Whole.
Speaker 2: Foods afinitely does it at the Whole Foods.
Speaker 3: Scoopers, Bill Foods ain't no Billy the Whole Foods man.
Speaker 1: That was That was a fun episode.
Speaker 2: And uh, I can't wait to see him just continue insurance, right, it's awesome.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's got a whole he got man, Yeah, I was. He was blowing my mind. I went way over my head.
Speaker 1: We're gonna get together again.
Speaker 3: We'll do it well, link up, Gotta get big shot Bob on. We got quick little post show segment. I'm gonna put you through the gauntlet again. You're ready to post show segment. It's only right that we talk clutch guys. If we had Robert Ori on. So we're gonna go through the world of Mount Clutch Moore. The best clutch guys might be a couple of wrinkles in here. Heads up, and we're doing a little word association. First thing that comes to mind when you hear these guys, and I can't just be clutch man. I hate these I'm sorry. You'll be in the torture chamber. Baby, I'll put you in the torture chamber.
Speaker 1: You ready.
Speaker 3: There it is Michael Jordan Go, Tom Brady Go, Derek Cheeter, Clutch, David Ortiz, Boppy, Joe Montana, Smooth, James Harden, Euro Step Thing, Tiger Woods Masters, Adam Vinitierry.
Speaker 1: Adam Vinitarry.
Speaker 3: He's like Jack now Bobby or Fearless, Dan Marino, great Thrower, Big Bob, Big Shot Bob, Jim Kelly, Kirk Gibson, Ola, Brittany Chastain stud That's it, baby, You like how I threw those wrinkles in there? Of some some not so clutch guys.
Speaker 1: Now who's not so clutch?
Speaker 3: I mean Dan Marino, Jimmy Harden, Is he not Jim Kelly? I mean they didn't win the Big Game, they don't have the rep. I don't think he'd put their face up there on the mountain. But I mean they had a hell of a careers made.
Speaker 2: I mean, he's he's calling shots with it seems like mister Ross over there. I see him in the Hard Knocks. He's in the locker room every time, like it's like Daddy Dan in there.
Speaker 3: I mean, I don't know, but I feel like the I feel like you passed that with flying Colors. I did three goats in a row. I could have just said, go this is they were that worked for all three of those. I thought you were gonna say gift basket for Jeter though.
Speaker 1: That was That was a good one.
Speaker 3: That was a good one.
Speaker 2: Well what an episode. Thanks again to Robert or Big Shot Bob. That's been another episode of Games with Names presented by when Bet.
Speaker 1: Remember to follow Games with Names on.
Speaker 2: YouTube, Instagram, x TikTok, and snapchat. We'll see you guys next week. Games with Names is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.