Speaker 1: And this is Drinks Chants, motherfucking podcast.
Speaker 2: Man, he's a legends every queens rapper.
Speaker 1: He ain't agreed as your boy in.
Speaker 2: O R E.
Speaker 3: He's a Miami hip hop pioneer.
Speaker 2: What up?
Speaker 3: It's d J E f N.
Speaker 4: Together they drink it up with some of the biggest players, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: And the most professional, unprofessional podcast and your number one source for drunks.
Speaker 3: Drink Chants, mother post every day is New Year's cust. It's time for drink Champs. Drink up, motherfuck mother?
Speaker 1: Would it good? Be? Its your boy in O R E?
Speaker 2: What up?
Speaker 1: His DJ E f N and this drink Champs. When me and e f N started this show, we said we want to always give this platform to icons, and we talk about to legends and were talking about right now we have an icon in the building. This man. I just heard mister Lee say, you know he had a flat top. Not only I had a flat top because of this man. My eyes is bushy to this day because of this man. I cat scratches. They was calling it, and they was like, it's can scratches, motherfuckers. This man has been influential, Like I'm listening to his music, and I can smell the jellous driving by my hood. You know what I mean.
Speaker 3: The Volk wagons.
Speaker 1: The Volk wagons was be big back then, with the with the vanilla. You know, the trees, the trees sense you know what I'm talking about in the car, Like, oh my god, this man is so influential. He got a documentary. Everyone is participating in the documentary. Everyone is there giving him his flowers. And we had him on before, but we are giving him We got our ship together, so we are giving him the real flowers and we're going talk about him. Pop fifty. We go about everything. In case you don't know what we told about. We told about the one that owner I called it impeccable, motherfucker. So kay yo, let's let's start it with the hip hop fifty. Yeah, some people are so happy about the Hip Hop fifty. Some people are bitter, some.
Speaker 3: People are amongst the community.
Speaker 1: What do you think discrepancies came from, in particular the Yankee Stadium.
Speaker 3: Nah, we've been hearing different. Well, there's there's.
Speaker 5: People saying that the timeline is off, it's not exactly fifty, that that could be disputed. And then there's people saying that they feel the hip hop fifty is being like a corporate takeover, where it's being over monetized and appropriated is the word that was used with specialized specific people saying that.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know, if it's giving flowers and paying homage and putting money into artists pockets, right, I don't see that.
Speaker 6: Being a major problem, absolutely, you know.
Speaker 2: But as far as the timeline thing, I think that the issue comes from other people that.
Speaker 6: Like basically did something for hip hop.
Speaker 2: You know, there there are other people that did things in hip hop before, say what Hollywood. They are the people that you know, did things before HERK, like you know, DJ Hollywood, Eddie Cheaber. You know, these guys was rapping before seventy three. You know, you had DJ's like Grand Master Flowers, Pete, DJ Jones, DJ Plumber, Disco King Mario that was djaying before Cool HERK.
Speaker 6: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: But in nineteen seventy three.
Speaker 6: HERK took all these elements.
Speaker 2: MCing is only one element, DJing is only one elementineteen seventy three, Kirk took all these elements am seeing DJ and be boys because he had the Nigga Twins dancing Doug in them.
Speaker 1: You know you heard about the Nigga Twins the other day. Yeah, yeah, I was trying to Peter Rosberg. Can you pronounce their name? Peter Boseburg?
Speaker 2: He's like no, well, but yeah, you know, HERK took all of these elements and combined them into one. And that's what hip hop is. Hip Hop is not just him seeing. Hip hop is not just DJing. Hip Hop is all these elements. And Herk is the one that combined. He is the one. He's Thanos. He got all the infinity stones, you understand me. So yeah, I give her credit for inventing hip hop in nineteen seventy three.
Speaker 3: And that's it. Cedric huh what is it? Yeah? And his sister has something to do with it too, right.
Speaker 6: I believe she's the one to throw the party.
Speaker 2: Yeah right. But I mean as far as combining the elements, you know, to create what we call hip hop, I credit her for that.
Speaker 3: You know, that was the culmination of it, and that sparks from there.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean, you know, these people that can debate me, and I can respect that because I was only five years old and set, you know, But I mean basing it on what was done because you know, like Hollywood and Eddieg, but they parties was for adults. You couldn't break dance in their parties and they couldn't pass the mic because they're paid DJs.
Speaker 6: It's not their party.
Speaker 2: They're getting paid like fifteen hundred two stacks to dj, So that's what.
Speaker 6: They're doing a job, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Her created an atmosphere what other MC's can get on the mic.
Speaker 6: B boys could break dance.
Speaker 2: Without getting kicked out the club for kicking people.
Speaker 6: In their sin and shit like that. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: To be sorry, I cut you a but I was having a conversation and certain people were saying that DJ Hollywood wasn't considered hip hop. I don't understand that. What do they mean because he was considered a disco DJ.
Speaker 6: Yeah, they were saying that.
Speaker 2: But I mean, at the same time, you got to understand the word hip hop was invented like when like seventy seven. Yeah, you know, so, I mean, it wasn't even called hip hop in seventy three. I mean, you know, I mean, I think that's just a way to just you know, really hate on Wood, to hate on Hollywood, you know, but I mean still in all though, it's like he was the first MC, FIRSTC. So I mean when I say MC, I'm not talking about you know what last Poets, Gil Scott Heron did that. I call that spoken word. Okay, do you agree with me?
Speaker 6: Do you agreement?
Speaker 2: Agreement? When I say Gil Scott Hearing, last poets, Well, they did the spoken words.
Speaker 7: Okay, I'm just always boiling upon each other this spoken word.
Speaker 2: Good workman on a second, pick me Martham did here comes the judge. Now that would that's what I would consider rapping, right, But that's in the studio over a band. You see what I'm saying. What Hollywood was doing was rhyming over a breakbeat, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 6: And that's what we do in hip hop.
Speaker 3: Right, and that's considered MC.
Speaker 2: Yeah okay, well, I mean you know, but also like what what cochlar Rock was doing, like you know that that's just doing the announcing stuff, you know, such.
Speaker 3: Such and such building Yeah yeah, okay, okay, that's.
Speaker 6: Them seeing as well. Okay, but I'm talking about rhyming.
Speaker 2: I'm talking about right now with Hollywood.
Speaker 1: I'm talking I don't want to go saying with my honey.
Speaker 2: Bun when merse around was actually a rhyme that that he bit from Isaac Hayes song good Love, Oh Yeah, and from the Black Moses album in nineteen seventy one. Out of this, Bonafide was solidifoie, it's not forgot. I know that the punchline was on Its not how good I do it baby? Is how I do it good? Yeah, bona Fide qualified knock on wood, it's not how good I do with baby? Gus that why do with good? Yeah?
Speaker 6: That's from Isaac Hayes song.
Speaker 2: That's the first thing that he said over the mic in nineteen seventy one.
Speaker 1: Was that really one of your highlights of seeing Snoop bring out Hollywood?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Okay, I was, honestly because it's like, I feel like Hollywood never gets the credit that he deserves. You know. And as we celebrate fifty years of hip hop, we got to acknowledge Cool Herk, we got to acknowledge Cokele Rock, We got to acknowledge DJ Hollywood, Eddie Sheeba, we got to acknowledge the disco twins from Queens. You know, we really need to. We got to acknowledge, Shah Rock, Funky Four, the Cold Crush Brothers, and most definitely Melly Mel, grand Master Flash in the Furious five. I think Melli Yeah, I think.
Speaker 5: We all have to understand that there's probably a lot of people that we don't even know about him that were a big part of the creation of hip hop.
Speaker 2: Well, it's like I always refer to when I talk about Hollywood and Melly Mel. I call Hollywood Ray Charles, and I called Melle Mel Sam Cook, you know, because I think that what Hollywood created.
Speaker 6: Mel perfected Wow.
Speaker 2: From nineteen seventy seven all the way up till around like twenty thirteen when the drill music and stuff to come in. I think anybody that MC was following Mellie Mel blueprint Wow. He was the first lyricist, and he's the one responsible for making the MC important.
Speaker 6: Thank you, because.
Speaker 2: You know, when when when hip hop began with hert it was about the DJ. You know, it was about her, not the Herculeoids. It was about Flash, not the three m c's. You know, it was always about the DJ that was the most important person. Until Melly Mel started spitting real lyrics and made people say, YEA, what the hell did he just say hold on, yo?
Speaker 6: He just And that's when the MC became important.
Speaker 2: He's the one that built the platform that's created for us because.
Speaker 1: If you look at Eric, Eric b name comes first.
Speaker 2: Yes, that was the thing, like that DJ Jasey, Jeffery Fresh Prince.
Speaker 3: Let's make some noise for that.
Speaker 1: So the verses, how did you like doing the verses as a person who's you know, you've actually survived it.
Speaker 6: I love doing it? Like that was my dream come true?
Speaker 1: Really?
Speaker 6: Yeah, man, I mean you know, like back when.
Speaker 2: Uh, when KRS came out with the bridges over, Yeah, the way he timed it, the way he timed it with down by Law. I'm like, this is a battle of limc. He's a battle of lim ce that that knows the art of combat. I would love to go up against him. But that was my dude though, you know what I'm saying. I mean, Carr is one, that's that's him. Him and Miss Melody helped me move out of my parents' crip, you know, like Chris is Chris. Chris was my dude always, you know, yeah, but.
Speaker 1: I always would think I always immediately when I heard that you were battling Chris. I immediately thought, what happened with Kine and rock Him? I mean, obviously you and Chris lived up to expectations, did everything, but everyone was kind of leaning towards the Kine and rock Him. Has that beening you like? Your whole like legacy, your whole career is.
Speaker 2: Like I mean, people always wanted us to batter right about it. I mean that's how this whole thing came information Swiss called and said I need you and write it to a versus Wow. And I said, well, look, talk to the other guy if you can make it happen. I'm in called him the other guy if you know, I don't I don't mean that disrespectful way. I don't mean any disrespectful way. Just like I said, talk to the other guy and see if you can make it happen. But if you can't, you want, Chris, would you entertain me and KRS?
Speaker 3: So this was your idea?
Speaker 6: And he said, yeah, WHOA.
Speaker 2: So he went through it and tried to make it happen and you know, couldn't.
Speaker 6: Lock it down.
Speaker 2: And then he, you know, he was like, yeah, I don't think I'm okay.
Speaker 6: So then what about me and KRS?
Speaker 1: Wow?
Speaker 2: And then Swiss says, what about you in LL And I said, you know, versus is really song for song, not you know, battling rhymes.
Speaker 6: This song for songs. So Ela mop the goddamn floor with me.
Speaker 2: Like his catalog is too big, you know, but for the sake of hip hop crazy? Yeah, I was like, well, for the sake of hip hop?
Speaker 6: Fuck? Did I do it? But I mean he's gonna mop the floor with me?
Speaker 2: This dude. You know, his longevity is crazy. You know his his albums.
Speaker 6: You know. I'm like, but I do it.
Speaker 2: And Swiss says, okay, but do you think the people want to see you in l or you and rock Kim? I said, me and rock Kim without a doubt. He's like, and That's what I'm talking about, Kane. So I'm like, all right. So we left it alone and then we entertained it with Trella because this was before they emerged. Yes, right, and Charlie Mack was trying to put that together and Charlie Yeah, shout out to Matt.
Speaker 6: He couldn't make it happen.
Speaker 3: Well you and Rob?
Speaker 2: Yeah, with me and Rob, he tried to make it happen. He couldn't make it happen either. And then here's the funniest thing. They called me and said that this lockdown, me and Rob gonna do it. It was supposed to have been the night that Barrington Levy and super Cat did it.
Speaker 6: Okay, that's in that we were supposed to do it.
Speaker 2: They called me and said it's lockdown, right, and I said okay. They said, but Roz using Jesse Jeff, so we want you to use Kick Capri. Okay, So I called Kick Capri and said, yo, they want you to do this versus thing. Caprice said, I don't want to, you know you my man, Rob, my man. I'd rather stay neutral. So I was like, I can respect that. I called Charlie mac Back. I was like, yeah, Kick Caprice said he'll do it. He's in. I mean, I knew this ship wasn't gonna happen. You know what happened. So I'm like, yeah, yeah, he's in. And then they caught me the next day and said, year, now we can't make the thing with him happened. You're still down to do it with KRS. I was like yeah, yeah, absolutely. It was like okay, then need to be you and krest on that day and I was like, well, I can't do it, you know, this weekend coming up, because I'm laying in.
Speaker 6: Bed with COVID right now. Wow yeah, I'm like.
Speaker 2: So they switched it to the following weekend and they got Baron to Levy to do it that week because I was I was, I was sick. Wow. Yeah.
Speaker 1: If Biz would have been alive for that versus which song, you would have broke him out as a surprise.
Speaker 6: Guest, Oh, just run with Biz, Just run with Biz?
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, but I mean I would I know that he would have wanted to at least do the hook or just a friend, you know.
Speaker 6: But I was taking no crowd singer.
Speaker 1: You wrote justin friends?
Speaker 6: No no, no, no, no no no.
Speaker 3: Did you get to watch the dog? I did not get He's in a right did you? Did you see, because.
Speaker 1: Like business, Mark was one of these people that I all the think would be around hip hop forever. Did you see like the demise of the breakdown of Biz or no?
Speaker 6: No, yeah, I didn't see what point. It's like.
Speaker 2: Biz had lost a lot of weight from a diet and he was looking good, right, feeling good, looking, energetic, you know. But but from my understanding, because of him being so in shape he wasn't taking his diabetes medicine, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, man, God bless man, this diabetes thing is running rapping in our neighborhood.
Speaker 2: Man. Yeah, man, I'm.
Speaker 1: Drinking motherfucker ghost race. Kill a coffee? What is this called?
Speaker 6: Kill coffee?
Speaker 1: Killer coffie? Was drinking coast face? Is it a starbus? Couples? Had no cups in my grip? So I just did that, you.
Speaker 2: Know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Kill a gup goddamn coffee?
Speaker 5: What was the track? I watched the document of the BIZ one? What was the track that he asked you to write and you said no f first and then after that you learned your lesson?
Speaker 6: Just a frind It was just a friend, Yeah yeah, just a wrint.
Speaker 2: I tell you one.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, So how does this happen this this session?
Speaker 6: No, Marty Moore on dis session had nothing to do.
Speaker 3: He just asked him.
Speaker 6: He just went, well, it wasn't Bizz that asked me.
Speaker 2: It was it was actually cool v okay that asked me, and me and Biz was was beefing with each other at the time. Wow.
Speaker 3: It doesn't say that in the documentary though.
Speaker 6: Ye yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: We were like, well I was mad at him.
Speaker 3: See what you got mad that you didn't do it?
Speaker 2: That's oh yeah, yeah, absolutely, Doc, absolutely, but I mean but now, I honestly it was for me being mad upset with him because we had like there was a lawsuit going on and Biz dropped out of it, and I was upset about that. When V asked me to write it, I was like, nah, but damn, I wish I would have though.
Speaker 3: That was big record.
Speaker 5: Yeah, oh yeahh and nobody believed at first when he was talking about the record, how it was going to be, he was going to sing on.
Speaker 2: It, You're The craziest thing is like the day that Biz found the beat, it's the same day that he gave me the beat for at No. Half Stepping. I went to Cool V Crib and half Step yeah set up absolute to Cool V. Yeah. I went to COOLV Crib and Bizz had a bag of records still, so I'm going. I'm like, he's like some records Biz board, I'm going through them playing, I'm playing. Then I heard the emotions blind owy. I'm like, oh, this is sick. So V looped it up in the mixer, you know, sample in the mixer. He looped up there and I started writing to it. But it's Biz. Next thing, you know, Biz calls the crib.
Speaker 3: Ain't no half stepping.
Speaker 2: I'm I'm writing.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'm not.
Speaker 2: I guess I was writing the rhymes I can't remember, but I'm writing to it. Then BIZ called a crib. I founded. I found it. I finally found it you talking about. He was like, the big I got it. You know, you got what I need, Like he found Freddy Scott, you got what I need. And he was like, you know, like, yeah, I'm telling you this ship gonna go platinum.
Speaker 6: I guarantee you, right.
Speaker 2: And I'm like, so, well, since you're so happy about that, you probably don't really care about this Blind Alley record, right because that was his record, his record. Yeah, you probably don't care about this blind either. You can have that ship, my man. Yeah that.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, my god, oh my god, holy moly, walcome moly, man, you a motherfucker legend. Oh my brother. I had so much fun going through your de soccra fhe man. Go, but let's talk about the documentary, man, this documentary.
Speaker 3: I love you getting your.
Speaker 1: Flowers, man, I love something.
Speaker 3: He shared the clip.
Speaker 1: Yes, I love you giving your flowers man, because you want of the smoothest people on earth. Let's make some noise and you always cool, calm and collective. But you know hip hop owes you you know what I mean? Uh? We all o you you know what I'm saying, Like what you have brung to the game, Like I said, even down from the flattops to the to the to the the three because my eyebrows.
Speaker 3: Are sucked up right now.
Speaker 2: Game.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying. Because I was like this, You know what I'm saying. Did you know how influential you was? Was this something that you thought out or this was just you was being who exactly who you are.
Speaker 2: I was just being me, but I mean, you know, like uh just looking around seeing what was going on. I was like wow, you know okay, but I mean I felt like it was a beautiful thing because it's like I wasn't influencing anybody, do nothing negative? Right, you know? So right?
Speaker 3: And it was scoop really a barbera yeah?
Speaker 2: Really? Yeah?
Speaker 3: How does how does this work?
Speaker 2: You?
Speaker 1: You told him you put your clubs down and start dancing?
Speaker 3: How does this work?
Speaker 2: Nah? There was a club called Latin Quarters. You can not on ninety sixth Street. That was the older school one. Yeah, like you know, I would go there with Biz and whatnot to hang out in the mid eighties and school was with this dance group called the IOU Dances, and they would dance before the artists performed. They would do a dance ro team before the artists come on, sage you perform, and you know sometimes by the bar me school and ladies that manages Mop. Yeah, he was with IOU as well. So three of us we were by the bar, just you know, having drinks and I was like, yeah, you know, Biz getting me a record deal when I come out, Man, I.
Speaker 6: Love for you to dance for me.
Speaker 2: And then when I finally made a record, I went back to school and was like yo, you ready, wow, And yeah that's how we made it happen.
Speaker 1: And so so BIZ was technically on before y'all.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I'm telling you watched this dark We don't know this history like not to make people know how influential and how much BIZ had.
Speaker 3: To do with a lot of things.
Speaker 1: Why did you and Biz link up?
Speaker 2: There was this kid from Long Island that used to always tell me about this dude Bis Marcky. He knew why there's for some reason, I think now the dude was from Central Island. He's from Central Island, dude named Wayne. He was dating my cousin and he used to always tell me about biz Marcky. And finally one day he like, Yo, my man, biz Markey, I'll tell you about here. And now we squirrelled rat more. Right now, I'll be beatbox now he was doing the beat for numbers. Wow, I'm like here over there right now. I'm like, all right, take me over there and let me meet him. So we get in the mall. We're walking up to him. I'm like, all right, so listen, I'm asking your man for a battle. And after I bust his ass, I don't want to hear about this, you know, yeah, I'll squid mall. So I asked Biz for a battle. We battled, and after the battle, he was like, Yo, you dope man, You dope man. He said, Yo, I'll be doing a lot of shows and like all them Bronx Long Island. You should get down with me, man, like we can make some money, and I guarantee you one day I'm gonna get you a record deal.
Speaker 1: Ruse because back then, like back then, like a lot of people, we didn't have Twitter, like you know what I mean, Like they didn't have Twitter. So how did you hear about Biz back then?
Speaker 2: Like? Okay, he was always telling me about this dude, biz Markie, who said this dude named Wayne.
Speaker 1: From s right.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, he was always telling me about this dude biz Markie, like you know, like I could have just battled somebody, you know, you know, tore them out the frame, yo, But you got to hear my man Biz, So you know, I was sick ahead about this dude man, you know. But then you know, we finally got the meet. We battled, and after the battle we became friends. He asked me to get down with him, and now I was doing something never did because I mean I would go to block parties and battle people on the mic. And you were right in these rhymes. This wasn't coming off freestyle, wasn't no. I wasn't doing off the dome. These was written freestyle. I was just off the I mean, I don't do that. I don't really do it off the dome thing, only like in battles, Like if I see some raggedy shit, you got on. You know, I'll come up with something, you know, but everyone but I mean, but you know, but you know it's really you know, written freestyles. But it was like we went at it and whatnot, and you know, he was like, yo, you dope, and you know he wanted me to get down with him. But now I'm doing something I've never done before because I had, you know, never performed, only battled. Now I'm on stage doing shows for these dudes, Mike and Dave and all of them wrongs Long Island. You know, he got me actually performing on stage. I never did nothing like that before.
Speaker 1: Damn, damn, that's crazy, man. Let's play.
Speaker 5: And then and I don't want to get the whole doc because I think people need to watch the documentaries. You watch, I'm assuming so you feel it's fully accurate the way everything's.
Speaker 2: Depicted, right, Yeah, from from what I saw, Yeah.
Speaker 5: The part about you getting in with Marley by coming and and then he didn't want to open the door for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what happened was, uh, this spent the night at my crib and then that morning we went to record store on No Ocean Avenue and he bought the African Life he had center be the boom Bats. He bought that and he was like, uh, yo, come ride with me into the city. I got to get to see a record by the Steve Miller band. He was going to rock, rock and soul, No downtown, down stairs records, downstairs, You're going to downstairs. And I'm like, yo, I got a test today, man, I can't skip school. So I went to school. When I took my test, I left like half day and went straight to Marley Crib when I got there. No, no, no, this was in the story. Okay, I wasn't got so I went down to Queensbridge days you know. No, I'm just saying I was before my time and cut it out, man. But yeah, I went to Marley Crib and you know, he like opened the door with the chain on and it's like, you know, what's up. I'm like, you know, Kane b friend, you know. But he was talking to me like he didn't know me, you know, and I'm like, uh, you know I was here. He's like, bis ain't here. I was like, well, you know, I took the train all the way from Brooklyn. He told me to meet her because he told me doing nobody beats the Biz song b is ain't here money. I don't know what to tell you. I was like, all right, no doubt. I was like, well, here these are the rhymes he's supposed to say today. Just give him to him. And he was like you you you right, bi ship. I was like, I wrote that, you know. He was like I go and I said a little bit and then nobody beats the biz thing. He was like, you rhyme too. I was like yeah, he said, let me hear something. Then I spent a rhyme and he took the chain off. I was like, yo, come in here, would work on problem.
Speaker 3: That's amazing, Holy shit.
Speaker 2: Because at that time, Marlly was like the go to producer. Correct, Yeah, he was getting to be that. Like Marley was not only to go to producer. Marlly was the dude that reshaped hip hop in the mid to late eighties because when hip hop became a music genre, what was happening under the Sylvia Robinson umbrella was hip hop artists going in the studio recording with bands.
Speaker 6: Yeah you should know your ship.
Speaker 1: Your sugar.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: I had to have to have to get back yeah yeah, yeah, I was.
Speaker 2: She was like she was taking nick flashing them Funky Four, Treacherous three. They're going and recording with bands they're not doing with cool Heirk created. You know what I said, No, no, no, not programming. I mean they're not doing it to a break beat. You know, they're rhyming to a band. Then the run DMC era comes when that's when they start doing the programming beats with Larry Smith, Rick Rubin and them casts.
Speaker 6: You know, Davy DMX.
Speaker 2: You know they're using Len drums, DMX drum machines and keyboards and sim sim sounds. You know, Marley is the one that you know took the sp and brought back what Hirk was doing. You're rhyming over the break beat. It's just that a DJ not playing it, a producers sampling.
Speaker 4: Itine you're saying it, Yeah, it's the actual break beat that Curtis Blast Damn Bodder and.
Speaker 2: All these casts was was cutting up. It's the actual break beat and Marlly is sampling it. So you're doing exactly what he was doing. You're doing exactly what hip hop was made, how it was bringing those breaks and Mary Mary the dude that brought it back, so you know, yeah, he is definitely uh in a mad in this here culture, you know, because of what he did with sampling.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so was was it back then?
Speaker 1: Because like nowadays, when people sample music, they actually, uh most of the time, a lot of the times, it's one hundred percent of these these publishers claimed the rights. Was it like that back then when you were sampling his music? Was it?
Speaker 2: The first time I had a problem with it was the very when I when I went to Marley Crib that day.
Speaker 6: Huh, nobody be abiz.
Speaker 2: He made a beat off of Staple Singers I'll Take You Here, And that's when I recorded the song I'll Take You Here.
Speaker 6: It's on my first album.
Speaker 2: But uh, fly Tie wanted to put it out and Prints owned the Staples Singers publishing and he wasn't digging hip hoped in so he wouldn't clear it. Prince Prince ain't clear ship well, I mean in the beginning. He changed his mind later on before.
Speaker 3: The Chapster As was out. Yes, lose enough after.
Speaker 2: That, But I mean, in all, honestly, I'm glad because I think that had I'll Take You There came out as a cane debut, I never would have been successful.
Speaker 1: Was he talking about Squid Moore on that record as well.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, I'll take you there is talking about going into an imagine every place where everything is beautiful, and you know it's like, you know, you get a pass on that one because that was an album cut.
Speaker 1: You should know we're gonna be here. All I remember I remember hearing alb Square Moore and this is this is this's a's a website right now that's dedicated to all memories of Alby Square More. And I remember me me being from Queen's and there was some fla shit going on in Brooke. It was called Dental Gold and it was the only place in like New York City that had it. And it was well, y'all would call it grills in the side, so it was frames, it was frames, and they went to Ivy Square. He had to get it. Only an IVY script one was dental Gold. And what I try to tell you is it looked like it came from the dentist, Like this wasn't like caps. This was like but it was so flopped. But to get the IV squib more, you gotta go to a goddamn danger zone.
Speaker 2: Like oh yeah, yeah, shout out the whole dog tig slop Miami, you know, big Shop, Big Neil. Yeah, into the record, Yeah yeah yeah, all them Brooklyn Grimys dad, you know yeah yeah, make you believe we can leave them more naked. Man, you went back home sneakless, colds all that ship.
Speaker 1: Your ship was crazy, Like do you recognize Brooklyn?
Speaker 2: Still it's completely different, completely completely different. Like I went back to my old block to show my son I got. I have a ten year old when he was almost younger. I took him to my old block because there's like a big mural of me on the water, and I was showing you this is the building I was raised in, you know right there, you know, see a second floor right here. I was like, yeah, I used to come down here and do the data. While I'm telling him the story, white lady comes out of the building with a little ass dog and the dog runs up my leg and I'm like, but this didn't happen. He's like, this is na I it was just bug. You know.
Speaker 6: I'm telling him how I grew up, you know, how good it.
Speaker 2: Was, And then all of a sudden, you know, yeah, yeah, yeah, so it's a lot different now. It's at no.
Speaker 1: I mean, do you think it changed for the better. I think it changed for the better.
Speaker 2: I think that it changed for the better. But I think that a lot of the history was erased. You know, I think that a lot of history was erased as far as.
Speaker 3: Hip hop as well.
Speaker 6: Well, I thought you were talking about the neighborhood.
Speaker 3: Yeah, be a period, Yeah, I mean, does that involve hip hop?
Speaker 2: I mean, you know, it's like, I can't take him and say this the movie theater that I used to go in and have to tuck my pants and my socks because rats be running across the floor, and I don't want none to run up my pants.
Speaker 6: Like that's gone, you know what I'm saying. I can't.
Speaker 2: I can't say, you know, just to Roy Rogers, you know, with cats got stuck up at because you could you could rob more Forlton Street and cut.
Speaker 6: Through and come out on flat Bush after.
Speaker 2: I can't. I can't show him none of that, Stuffy. It's all gone, like all those memories is gone. I'm shure, and your neighborhood is yeah, no, I.
Speaker 3: Mean all over all over.
Speaker 1: But I just never thought, you know what was shocking to me. I thought the last two barrels that they would actually fix up what's Brooklyn and the Bronx and then when the when the what was it the nets?
Speaker 3: As soon as the.
Speaker 1: Nets kind of came, I believe it's the Barclays, right as soon as the kind of came to the Barclays, seeing that they put the whole fools around, and I was like, once they put a whole fool white people coming, I was like, yeah, you know what I'm saying. So I was just like I didn't think, but now, could you not? I went to Dumbo to the Soho House, and I kid you not, because it's coming right off the Brooklyn Bridge, you know, like coming from like you know, the Manhattan side. And I used to I used to go there and like used to know, like as soon as you got over that bridge, you're in Brooklyn.
Speaker 3: It's not Manhattan no more.
Speaker 1: And now it's like you go over there and you're like, I'm still mad, like because you like, am I still bad?
Speaker 3: They puting the trick over me.
Speaker 6: Like the little boats and ship.
Speaker 1: It's crazy, but I understood. And and how about the community, because I remember that was a big thing about being in Brooklyn, like was it was. It was a lot of community, and you think that's gone because of the whole hools.
Speaker 6: When you say community, what do you mean, like.
Speaker 1: You know, like the project people used to be there together like you, I mean like as opposed to that now it's.
Speaker 6: Like, nah, I think that's because I mean.
Speaker 2: Just uh during the Rock the Bells thing, because I have Rock to Bells and I had uh Lincoln Center, you know, all in New York, but pretty much a week apart. So I was like, well, I'm just gonna stay in New York, good time. And I got an Airbnb and Bushwick Wow. And when I arrived at the Airbnb, Bushwick made it known like not nigga, you're still in the hush, don't don't get it twisted.
Speaker 8: Perto Ricans was the Puerto Ricans. Yeah, so oh man, yo.
Speaker 1: I mean.
Speaker 3: I mean hip hop?
Speaker 1: Man, did you have a like I noticed a cliche type of question, but do you ever think that hip hop will make it this far?
Speaker 6: Absolutely?
Speaker 2: You absolutely, absolutely, because you got to you got to understand. I mean, like like I love psychedelic rock, right like Jimmy Hendrix, Janice Chopplin, I love that type of stuff, you know, so as a rock fan to hear like you know, like how it was about Chuck Berry doing the dunk walk across stage, or Elvis presently gyrating his hips. How offensive that was to clean cut America. And they said that, you know, it's raunchy music. It's not gonna last. It's just a fad. And this is what they said about rock and roll. But it was so rebellious for the young counter, for the youth to like really show out and like and like, now you've got Alan Freed taking it in gymnasiums because theaters don't want it, so he taking it in gymnasiums, and the young cast is coming out, you know, a by the thousands, the pack of gymnasium just to hear rock and roll.
Speaker 6: Right, you know, this is what's going on.
Speaker 2: Then all of a sudden, with the war start, you got rock artists making anti war songs, so they're using their voice, you know, to speak against war. Hip hop was following the same thing, you know what I'm saying. So when they said that it's just a fair it ain't real music, I knew. I'm like, it's gonna be just as big or even bigger than rock and roll.
Speaker 1: You know what's so beautiful about what's going on right now? Is you see Yankee Stadium sold out, You see Nives and Wu Tang sold out, you see fifty cent and Busting Robs sold out, you see all of you see Rock the Bells sold out, You see all of these festivals with these older people that sold out. An elder statesman rather tional art. And I've been saying this for a long time. This is the reason why we invented drink chances, because we wanted to give our elder statesms, people that have been around, you know, seasons, they flowers.
Speaker 3: And then when you see this, it's like damn.
Speaker 1: When you like I said this the other day, Like when you want someone to cook Thanksgiving dinner, you don't want that eighteen year old girl that just you just met. You don't want that twenty two year old girl. She don't know how to smothered the chickens. She don't know how to make the candy ams bounce the way they're supposed to be shaking. She don't know how to do the stuffing.
Speaker 3: She don't know how to cook corn bread. And heart of this cook corn bread. You gotta have experience.
Speaker 1: So when they come to days Giving dinner, you don't want that new young hobouy no.
Speaker 6: I agree.
Speaker 7: You want Papa helping us, you understand, and that's what life is.
Speaker 1: Your young women, snappists, you'll be over here talk about the O G no motherfucker.
Speaker 3: With seasoned what seasons?
Speaker 1: Then we're out here, man looking looking like he ready to pip right now. I love when Bussey said that, he said, we gotta look the part, man. And that's one thing about you. Man. You've been sharp since the eighties. You ain't never had a day off.
Speaker 2: Man, appreciate you come. I will say this though, man, when it comes to people like myself and even your errors, you know, I mean, I feel like we're cemented and we have a solid fan base that's going to love and respect us like you know Charlie Wilson fans, you know, Ronald Eisley fans. But we do need to connect with the youth so that they can gain state power and they learn how to be artists. I don't think that we should leave them alone or look at it in a way of like, ha, I'm packing shows you not. I think that we need to work with them, you know what I'm saying, and try to help them because it's like we're not gonna be here forever. Our music will, but we not. So when we're gone, what's going to be left. If they don't know what they're doing. They can evaporate hip hop canny vaporate. So we got to give them the Jews. We got to teach them and educate them and try to uplift them. And I think that that's something important for us to do as the you know, the older generation, you know, to teach the youth like, yo, this is how you perform. You know, you don't need the vocals playing to an instrumental. You know what I'm saying. Don't just stand there once by their stage left and stage right, it's even front of the stage, shake a motherfucker hand when you're looking at you and stuff like that. You know, we have to give them game, you know, we have. We need to do that because they are the future. But they're not going to be the future much longer. If if if they can't sell our shows or sell streams up whatever.
Speaker 5: You know, you got to make sure the history continues to be told so it's not lost.
Speaker 1: I mean a lot of them know better e FM, because you know why they know better. They wear Jordan's They don't want Kyrie. I heard you say, but that's not true. That is true, that's not that's not knowing history because you wear no no. What I'm trying to say is when you sit down, they'll talk. They'll sit there and talk about a Michael Jordan game. You are wearing these Jordan's because Jordan's scored this amount. So if you know that amount, why don't you know about when Biggie Small's did this one about when.
Speaker 3: Kid doesn't know who cool work is. Right, that's what they wear.
Speaker 6: In the Jordan.
Speaker 3: That might not be their fault, it's our fault in the city generation. I believe that there was a fine time. Like I didn't grow up on corel work. I was too young.
Speaker 5: There was the music that I was listening to that was telling you, and I was like, hold up a second, I need to know this these people that I'm listening to.
Speaker 1: But you being in DJs, but you'll be in a DJ and you being loyal to the culture, you win and you search schoolhurd correct.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, Yeah, that's that's that's what we before the inn. At times I was literally digging in the.
Speaker 2: That's the problem though, you know what I'm saying nobody, like like, nobody searches anything no more. Nobody studies nothing no more. They just google shit, you know.
Speaker 3: But we're not giving reasons either.
Speaker 5: I feel like like now hip hop fifty Like you said, the positive side is younger younger kids might be like.
Speaker 3: Yo, this is wild. Look at these packed stadiums. What is this all about?
Speaker 5: And they might start to gravitate to certain artists they wouldn't have normally gravitate it to, and then learn about the history indirectly, like a drink champs. They might learn indirectly by the entertainment of it, say oh, these people are wilding out, and then oh, wait, I'm learning something now.
Speaker 6: I let me tell you something.
Speaker 2: Man, the BET Awards, I was sitting in my seat, the recent one one to just passed. I was sitting in my seat patiently waiting to see all the young cats perform. I wanted to see what type of energy they bring in. And then especially since you know, you have people like myself, m see like Red Man, Bust Uncle Luke. You know what well, I mean, Buster's still doing his thing. You know what I'm saying, He's still going. But I mean, but you know, you you got all these I mean, it's like for them to look at and see. Okay, okay, right, So I wanted to see what they were going to do on stage, and the Migos and Lola Brook they did not let me down. Wow. I thought that Lola and the Migos gave amazing performances.
Speaker 6: That's the type of ship I like to see.
Speaker 1: And it was the first time seeing the Migos together in a long time.
Speaker 6: Yeah yeah, yeah exactly.
Speaker 2: But with even with that being a factor when it's time to get it on, yeah, yeah, man, it looked beautiful and like to see lower Brook like, you know, actually really spitting and then jumping back and dancing with her dances and ship.
Speaker 3: She was not playing with it.
Speaker 6: Yeah yeah, she.
Speaker 3: Was go ahead.
Speaker 1: Brooklyn energy right from Brooklyn.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you could never take a Brooklyn dude out of be in Brooklyn.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 1: Specialist, But let's let's smoke about that for a second, because special gave us a different perspective on it. He was like that he felt like that I dont know, we spoke about it earlier, but he felt like that the hip hop fifty is more for corporations, it's not really for us. And I disagree, but I let him vent. Like you just said you said earlier. He was like, as long as you know the artist is getting paid and this is something that we want to do. I don't think that Yankee Stadium was commercialized. I think Yanks it was still in.
Speaker 2: But it was because I mean, his his house, Okay, Mally mal cold Crush, all the pioneers, right, they went on like twelfth Noon. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I was thinking they should have been the headliners.
Speaker 6: All no, no, no, no, no, not the headline.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they should have like fit them in like in between, like you know, oh what kind.
Speaker 1: Of look at the flyer wrong? When they were at the bottom, I was looking at it as if it was the top.
Speaker 6: Of the black you know, the pie.
Speaker 2: And then it's like you say, I understand that they don't have hit records, and the ones that did have hit records in the early eighties, a younger generation are not aware of that. I get that. Still, in all, if we really celebrating hip fifty years of hip hop, right, then respect those that created the platform for it to get here, right, you know, I mean, you know Russell Simmons, Tyrone Williams, are Andre Harel, they did a great job. You know, jay Z, Shook, Knight, Puffy, so many of us did a great job. You know what I'm saying as keeping it going and all that there. But I do respect those that helped create this platform, you know, sugar Hill Gang, Grand Master Flash, in the Furious Five, Cold Cush Brothers, make it where they can be seen. That's why that meant so much to me. For Snoop to bring out Hollywood, that meant the world.
Speaker 1: I believe that was Russell Simmons pulling those strings too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, of course. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh man, and let me so, let me ask you why we're on this subject, and especially while we're in the South, A lot of people like one of the first things that we heard, especially living in Miami, was Uncle LUTH's voice. Uncle Luke was like, he felt like, I don't I don't believe he said the South. I believe he said Florida. He said Florida. But there's a different regions like the West. I'm here and there because now I'm seeing Jermaine Duprie saying the same thing, and it bugged me out a little bit because I seen Jermaine Duprie happy backstage like he was. He was back there, he was filming himself, and then when he went back home to Atlanta, he was He's basically like, uh, you know, that was a New York thing, and New York doesn't really recognize Atlanta. That's what Jabani the preset, and then Luke pretty much said the same thing, but he uh, I did de fight it with Florida.
Speaker 2: Correct.
Speaker 1: When you hear things like that, what do you think?
Speaker 3: What does come.
Speaker 6: Like that? Don't it identify?
Speaker 2: This sound?
Speaker 5: Wasn't enough representation of the whole country in terms of well, like I mean the regions.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it probably wasn't. I mean, it's too many goddamn artists, man, you know, for one night, you know what I mean, it's too many artists, man.
Speaker 6: I mean it probably wasn't.
Speaker 2: But I mean, to me, that's only reason enough to do a hip hop fiftyth in Atlanta, you know, yeahs right, Yeah, you get on outcast together, you know the brat you know, so, I mean, you know, even bring out what's what's my man name? I think he was like the first Southern was Sha.
Speaker 3: D y D.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, Uncle Luke called me bring them all out, se Lo Green, Goodie, Marb you know, like boys with your crew. Yeah, yeah, bring them out, Daddy, Trina, bring them all out, you know.
Speaker 1: Because Trina was on the show, and so it was Florider and t I Florid was on. Yeah, I seemed Publar getting me bring out floor Rider. Really yeah, it was something. I don't know if he's Yankee Stadium.
Speaker 2: But it was.
Speaker 1: He was there that during that fifty about week.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: See with this, with with what m seeing became.
Speaker 2: Thanks to Mellie mel was a way of ghetto expression, right, and there's more ghettos than New York. You know when we heard straight out of Compton and what n w A was talking about, you know, we got an expanse of what the streets was like in l A. You know, when the Ghetto Boys came out, we had a chance to experience what the streets was like Houston and what do you call that is Southwest.
Speaker 3: In the wars right in the wards.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, I mean like the region is that those that would that be considered Southwest, Now this is the South is so okay, but yeah, you got to experience that, you know, I mean even even with eminem because not only well oh yeah, not only is that Detroit hood, but it's not our hood.
Speaker 6: Yeah, no, he talking trailer parks.
Speaker 2: I'm saying, so you you get to hear by the white hood. You know what I'm saying. I mean, I'm other than Roseanne. I don't know nothing about no trailer parks.
Speaker 6: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Eminem gave gave us like what it was like in his hood growing up. You know what I'm saying. So it's like it's the way what ghetto expression can be. Man. It's beautiful man, you know so, I mean it's it's out there in all types of different regions man. You know. So, I mean, you don't have to just end the Yankee Stadium, but you're still young and shit. Throw something in Atlanta, throw something in Detroit, throw something in la you know.
Speaker 1: That was one of the things that I noticed about your documentary, sorry bounced around, was that you had Eminem in the documentary. For those that haven't seen the trailer yet, and you know, this is one of them unicorn guys, right, this is a guy like no one could get Eminem, right. Was it hard for you to reach Eminem or this was something that you know, because I know he's a real hip hop fan.
Speaker 2: So showed love. When we reached out he said yeah, wow, when well, no, let me not say that, but but he showed love. He showed love and he made it will let me let me, let me see, let me word it this way. He made it where we wouldn't have no problems, and you know it was okay with you know, using his likeness in order, Like he showed love and showed up with a with a Big Daddy Gang show on to do the interview.
Speaker 1: Wow, goddamn.
Speaker 2: And the craziest thing is he told me stuff about myself that I never even thought about, you know, because I mean you as an MC, you're writing, yes, but it's like you're not sitting there thinking like you know, I gotta add something that does this, I gotta add something. You just writing what comes to mind. So that's what I'm doing. And he pointed out stuff that I did, and I'm sitting there listening and talking and when I'm the whole time looking at him, but in my mind, I'm like, real, I did that. Now I'm sitting there and then like you know, we finished, I had to like go back and listen to records from the mid eighties early eighties, like now they had to be someone that did this before me, Like damn, Like I never thought about that. Like, yeah, he said some deep stuff, man, he said some real deep stuff. He's a suitor of the game for sure.
Speaker 3: I love that fact.
Speaker 1: I love the fact that when it comes to the ogs, like he always you know what I mean. I mean, didn't he accept the award.
Speaker 3: And he listed off, Yeah, mad people almost, But him.
Speaker 1: And Melly Mail were at it, like you can't call Mellie mill as they relax.
Speaker 2: Me and Mel.
Speaker 6: Me and Mel actually did talk. See.
Speaker 2: The thing that a lot of people don't understand is like, I have a perspective on hip hop because of the way I understood it first time I heard hip hop was seventy seven. I have a perspective, you know, from what I learned from that point. Whenever it was that you heard it, whenever it was that you heard it. His perspectives that we all have, right, Melly Mel has a perspective from the origin. Okay, and a lot of those cats feel that when it went to record, hip hop was ruined at that point. The purest form of hip hop was ruined as soon as it went to record, When it became an official music genre.
Speaker 3: Became a business. Yeah, okay, yeah, that gang. I would assume that was the first time they felt that way.
Speaker 2: It's possible, but I mean it's like, well, I would assume maybe a year so later, because it's like now you're seeing the effects. You're seeing what's happening to what y'all created and what y'all been doing. Now it's going a different direction and how it's being driven. So it's like you have to understand his bitterness, you know, because it's it's not about hate.
Speaker 6: It's about, you know, what happened.
Speaker 3: To his baby, right, you can't dismiss that.
Speaker 2: You know her cast as well, you know a lot of them, you know, so it's what happened to their baby, you know. So I mean it's like I respect their anger, but at the same time, you know, I try to, you know, in a you know, diplomatic wage, just build with the brother and say listen, man, it ain't work, you know, just you know, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because at one point I felt like Melly Mill had a problem with everybody he does.
Speaker 2: Mel cursed my ass out one night, Bell's jumped up over me, kicked the fucking Ottoman. Was like motherfucker. You wasn't there. He was a baby when it ship started. You wasn't he was. I ain't gonna bring it up, man.
Speaker 1: But so it's not just a couple of us, it's everyone.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, if you relax, be like, all right, yeah, I mean, that's just mal, that's just mel Man. I mean, but I mean it's like, the bottom line is just man, you know, rather he right or wrong. I feel like myself, you, Eminem, and so many others wouldn't have been here or wouldn't have been gifted at this if it wasn't for Mail.
Speaker 5: Right, you know, let me ask you, in the same vein of all this, what do you think? What's your perspective on the state of MC today.
Speaker 2: I think that there are a lot of dope mcs out there. You just have to find them, right you know. I think that there's a lot of dope mcs out there, you just have to find them right now because of what radio does right now. Because of what radio does, they focus on a certain kind of music, you know, and because of that, that's what's put to the forefront, and that's all you think about. So you're not thinking about, you know, who's lyrical and then the other thing. And I'm gonna say this to all my lyrical MC's, with the exception of Lady London, She's not included.
Speaker 6: Here's why.
Speaker 2: As a lyrical MC, I think that it's very important for you to look the part as well look fly so that people if they're not paying attention to what they say, what you say, they're paying attention to how you look and then they gravitate, gravitate to the lyrics, you know. But there are a lot of lyrical mcs, you just have to find them. But at this point in time, what's more important really is like you know, a catchy tune, you know, and.
Speaker 5: I'll you said, the look, but also the production, because you'll have an incredible lyrically you know, lyrical MC that doesn't pick good production to put.
Speaker 3: Those lyrics too.
Speaker 2: Well, it's not he don't pick good production, is that he doesn't pick commercial productions. Most lyrical MC is like bone BAP and that's not what's really selling or what's playing on the radio, you know. But you do have lyrical mcs that you know, rhyme over the uh that modern style production.
Speaker 6: Like J Cole.
Speaker 1: Government documentary as well.
Speaker 2: He kills Kendrick J. Cole is my favorite MC of this era. Shout out to Conway the Machine. I love him to death. Billy Butcher.
Speaker 1: Yeah, on the flag stables out there.
Speaker 2: J Cole, J Cole, Oh man, like he's a problem to me.
Speaker 3: Cole and Kendrick, they're they're tied to me.
Speaker 2: I love Kendrick. But you got to understand Cole said, no Cosby shipped.
Speaker 6: But if they're sleeping on me, fuck them.
Speaker 1: I didn't even catch that.
Speaker 3: No Cosh but sleeping on them.
Speaker 2: But if they sleeping on me, there's a lot. I don't believe that right there?
Speaker 3: Where do you say that that?
Speaker 2: However, y'all want to come back to this, Yeah, yeah, no, no, no for Jake Paul. Now, while we're on this subject matter, as I said, I'm speaking about everyone except Lady London. The reason why I say that is because Lady London she does look the part. She stay fly from head to toe, you know what I'm saying. And her bars are ridiculous, ridiculous, you know.
Speaker 6: And not only.
Speaker 2: That she she don't be half naked, not say anything negative about the women that do. I'm just saying that, you know, she don't rely on that you rely on her beauty and her lyrics, mainly her lyrics, you know. And Lady London, m she said, I go on a date just for a date. Just I let that sit there for them, catch up, take.
Speaker 3: Your time.
Speaker 2: For Lady London.
Speaker 1: That was woman.
Speaker 2: Didn't get that. Somebody please explain matter of fact, let me explain that that that that don't understand. I go on a date just for a date, just date, just as a rolex. Yes, that's a kind of rolex. So she's saying, yeah, I go on a date just just for for a dude to buy me a Rolex. Don't play with that girl, quick time, let's do it.
Speaker 1: Okay, Oh yeah, yeah, well ka, big daddy king my brother. Let me just tell you something. Our show is about giving people their flowers. Were always wanted to have this show to, you know, to to to to salute our ogs, the people that made this life possible for us to live the life that we live. And we want to give you, face to face your flowers. Said, It's like a Grammy because it comes from your own people and.
Speaker 2: We have you back.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah yeah. And by the way, he always drinks so exclusive ship drink some Exclusive ship let me just tell you something, young whipper snappers. He is og to the per talking about anything about him, his motherfucking impeccable.
Speaker 3: Goddamn. Let's go one.
Speaker 1: All right, we're gonna you wanna splain them, Thomas.
Speaker 5: Yeah, We're gonna give you two choices. If you pick one, nobody's drinking. This is a drinking game, by the way. Okay, so if you pick one, nobody's drinking. If you say both or neither, we all drink.
Speaker 3: I mean he could do whatever.
Speaker 2: He yeah, he can, we don't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, that's okay, you can do it.
Speaker 2: Now what what what? What's the answer if someone has.
Speaker 5: If I'm saying, we're gonna give you two choices, if you pick one, that said, would we just go on to the next one. If you say both, like you say, well that I'm picking both or I'm picking neither of them, then we're drinking.
Speaker 3: Cool all right?
Speaker 9: No, no, no, why yeah, yeah, le's keep it with the wine. That's right, Okay, Tupac or d m X. It's your mind and you can explain it. You don't have takes place. It's all up to you.
Speaker 2: If if we talking artists, Tupac, if we're talking lyricists X.
Speaker 3: That sounds like a drink to me. Sounds like both sounds like.
Speaker 1: Again, all right, I like this one Primo or Lars pro.
Speaker 2: Mm hmmm. I would have to say I would have I would I would have to say I would have to say Primo okay. I would have to say Primo.
Speaker 3: Okay, kick Apri or DJ Scratch.
Speaker 6: You ain't putting me in that ship.
Speaker 3: That's a good.
Speaker 2: That's a good. I'll say like this said Rock a Party, Kick Apri, DJ Battle Scratch.
Speaker 1: That sounds like a drink to me, because that was the big debate that night.
Speaker 2: Uh, the verses, right, Yeah, I kind of take blame for that, man, Okay, let's just play.
Speaker 1: I can see your face.
Speaker 2: No, because like when I told you earlier, he didn't want to do it, okay, but then when when they got cares to do it, he got he agreed to do it with KRS got. So then when Charlie Max said, Yo, we want you to use DJ Scratch, I said, okay, fine, and then I called Scratch and I was like, yo, his as you know, but I didn't know that. You know that, you know, they had a little something going on and you know, and you know when when Scratch went the sucker DJ, and I was like, I was like, no, hold no, just like you know, yeah, I came with bars right and I spit some some simple ship, you know, hoping that Chris was going to, you know, bite off of it, you'll come but but he didn't. But I mean, even with what I had locked and loaded, I wasn't gonna call him no sucker and see nothing that degrading. You know what I'm saying. That's my brother. It's like I would spit some battle rounds, but I'm not going to do. I love him, you know what I'm saying. And you know I didn't know. I love k Caprice, so I don't want you don't call him a sucker DJ.
Speaker 6: A gentleman's yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean I didn't take it that way. Asked me watching it, I'll be watching it. I really did take it as a DJ type type of thing. But when Caprite didn't indulged back.
Speaker 3: That's what I was like, Oh, maybe this wasn't right.
Speaker 2: I mean it was like, you know, it was like at that moment when scratched, I said, you know what, I forgot you the funk I was talking to I'm like, this is what the ship stra he was he was going scratch. This was just me being being upset with Caprie. You know, so now you can do it. Okay, answer you know, but but you know, but I forgot who I was dealing with. That was that was about fault man poo. I'm sorry, brother, I'm sorry, brother.
Speaker 3: Okay, care ras one or rock.
Speaker 2: Him hm hmm. Once again, it's it depends. It's like.
Speaker 3: You're gonna get a lot of it.
Speaker 2: On a song.
Speaker 6: Rock him in the battle Karres.
Speaker 1: Okay, this sounds like.
Speaker 2: Why are you all in our.
Speaker 5: I was trying to avoid I get the next? Okay, good one, by the way, all right, Guru or big l rest in pieces of both.
Speaker 2: I don't want to I don't. I mean these brothers and they're not here no more, I don't. I don't want to do that one.
Speaker 1: Yes, we're gonna drink for that, so we're drinking. That sounds like bo you one the next word because didn't mister C bring Biggie to your career?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 6: No, no, okay, mister C.
Speaker 2: Let me hear them. Okay, like he he did the thing in his house with Biggie Ryman over the blind alley beat that I just have stepping let me hear it.
Speaker 6: Oh wow, yeah, Like she used to be like, yo, you don't hear it.
Speaker 2: I'm like because she thought that we sounded similar, and I'm like, I don't really. Yeah, I'm like, I don't hear it. Big I could see it. I didn't see it though, Oh I could no, no, no, But eventually I did, like I think with partying bullshit came out and I was like even then, I was telling see, I don't see it.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: Then the One More Chance remix came out and I called, see, yeah, I see it.
Speaker 1: I'm like, okay, quests or day I soul.
Speaker 2: Pour up. That's a that's a tough one, man, because you know, like Mace is my dude, like my brother. But I probably I probably listened to more and then what you call it. Dave was such a dope MC too. Dave was such a dope see, but I don't know make it. I probably listened to more tribe records. I probably listened to more tribe records.
Speaker 1: And bigger Dave try day I saw because they you know, recently got their master's back. Is that something that you you have your masters as well?
Speaker 6: I'm in the process now.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, that's what all of the Oh Jesus is saying. I'm glad the next.
Speaker 5: One DJ Hollywood or Cool Hirk. I'm kind of already well, I.
Speaker 2: Mean, naturally, I would have to pick Hollywood because I'm an MC, like I would expect the DJ would pick herk. I'm an MC, so I mean, you know, I feel like, you know, he birthed me, you know what I mean.
Speaker 6: So I would they have to pick Hollywood just for that reason.
Speaker 5: Right right next one, Latifa Queen Latifa drink. Oh and we need both of them on drinks. Yeah, we've been asking for years. Yeah, okay, Molly mal or Pete Rock.
Speaker 2: I would have to go with Mally for the simple fact that there would be no Pete Rock. Primo Large Professor just blazed, none of them. It wasn't for mallypet that's who you know, brought that sample. Like I think Curtis Blow is the first person to use a sample, but it's just percussions from a Troublefunk record. The person that really made sample and the way of hip hop production is Marley. So I gotta go with Mally.
Speaker 3: God damn it. Latin quarters are the fever Latin quarters.
Speaker 2: I was so young for the fever, ok like yeah, like right now, like south from the Fever. Yeah, even be like, yo, man, I need you to do this here show for me by I got like ten grand come on and this is me, Sally sal came and this me Salid. Y'all fucking twelve, man, I wasn't. I don't owe you nothing, man, I'm fucking twelve years old, so man, don't. But I love Salve Man. I love Salve Man as matter of fact. Man, It's like, you know, if I'm correct, I believe that's the first hip hop club, right.
Speaker 3: No, the fever, the fever, Oh I'm not. I'm not sureing that.
Speaker 2: Fever's like what seventy eight seventy seven, because fever's before Halem World, right, yeah, I don't know. I figure it out.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: If I'm right, then sal you deserve this right right, right right?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 6: Sam Cook? Oh right, y'alls, Sam Cook.
Speaker 2: You know I think Ray Charles, you know, yeah, I think he's the first one to take gospel chords and sing love music over it.
Speaker 6: But Sam Cook perfected it.
Speaker 2: He put a much more sexier voice to it, and perfected the way it was done, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Okay, run DMC or a p M d.
Speaker 2: M hmm.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Lord Fess or.
Speaker 2: Oc Well, I would say, Lord Finess. I think that Lord Finess is a great levers system, great livers system, and and also he's responsible for a lot of other people having careers.
Speaker 1: Absolutely flat top or gumby.
Speaker 2: You fucking serious, he's got war man. I mean as much as I love my my Man Bobby Man, come on, man who flat top rules?
Speaker 5: And Jimmy Hendrix or Santana, I.
Speaker 2: Love Santana man, but I gotta go with Jimmy just for the simple fact of, like, you know, the blues stuff that he did, the way he would make his rock guitar talk on a blues song, right, I don't know.
Speaker 5: That's what I think somebody told us here on Drink Sham. I think so taught himself. It was Jeordie Clinton that told us that.
Speaker 1: Master Ace or Special ad.
Speaker 2: Ace is juice crew man that.
Speaker 1: Says it all okay, fat Joe or Rick Ross.
Speaker 6: It's like.
Speaker 2: I I I kind of want to lean towards Rick Ross and see the dark skin chubby dude. But you know, Joe, my dude, man, Joe, my dude. That's that's always showed me love man, Joe, Joe, Joe, my dude. Man.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we're gonna let that one sly ice Cube or Scarface.
Speaker 2: That's a hard one there, man, real hard and that that's a good one. Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, that.
Speaker 6: Actually would have been a great verses.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, that would have been a great verse That's that's that's a hard one.
Speaker 6: I don't know, I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't know both because it's it's like, you know, Scarface I think is the better storyteller. But oh man, I don't know. Man, I don't that one. I don't know. I don't know. I mean because like Cube c got some joints man, Anywright movies, well they ain't got nothing to do with hip hop.
Speaker 3: Let's just try and help you out.
Speaker 6: I mean, I mean yeah, I mean, I don't back to n W a Q.
Speaker 2: It's just yeah, Cube man, Like like I remember when I heard a Bitch is a Bitch from that song alone, I was like, this is is gonna be a problem, you know. Yeah, so we say both, Yeah, I guess Lola Brook or Lady London.
Speaker 6: Lady London.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: Video music Box or your.
Speaker 2: TV matter of fact, come back ask me that question again. Load of Brook or Lady lo Okay, Okay, I mean no, listen, Lola Brook. I'm gonna be honest with you. I really would love to link up with her and work with her because what I saw at the BET Awards, I'm a fan. Yeah, she goes all out, but Lady London, like I would love to actually be in a studio with male artists. When Lady London walk in, I got a funny feeling that I'm gonna see something I've seen before me And like back when I used to DJ for Shante, I used to see Shante come in dressing rooms and mail artists turn around to avoid smoke. No establish male artists that had hit records will turn their back to avoid their make an eye contact with rock Sanne Shante scared to death for a little sixteen year old girl.
Speaker 5: Wow, yeah, we can't let it go. And notice he said when he's the DJ for Shant, Yes, I caught that. I cut that. I cut that. That was hard.
Speaker 3: Okay. Video music Box or your TV.
Speaker 6: Raps, video music box, Hideo music Box.
Speaker 1: Big up to Ralph mc dames, mob Deep or Mop.
Speaker 2: I mean I love both, but you know, Mop, that's that Brooklyn ship, Man, that's that Brooklyn ship. It ain't ain't nothing like heying, you know, slap and dance, scream, they fucking lungs out on the song. Man. Ain't nothing like that energy. Yeah, that energy is just something else we need.
Speaker 3: Mop on here too. Scoop a scrap mm hmm.
Speaker 2: Those my brothers. Man, drink that, yeah, drink you mean school band scrash? What what you said? I said, I said school you know he's no, he said school or scrap. I said, you mean school band scrap. I look at them as one man, all together.
Speaker 3: This because of my shirt. Bro oh yeah, all in the same game.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm gonna say both man, because they both served a beautiful.
Speaker 5: Cause it was a great movement man, guy Michael or Prince.
Speaker 2: It's like it's multi talented. As as as as Prince was. I don't I don't think that you know, we're ever going to see another artist like Michael Jackson.
Speaker 1: Man, you said Mike was Prince in the verses.
Speaker 2: In the verses, yeah, okay, versus where on.
Speaker 1: Stage and Kingston.
Speaker 2: No, no Mike in the versus. I mean because you you you got to understand Prince play numerous instruments. Prince vocal range was ridiculous, you know, ridiculous, you know. So, I mean, and he can and he could, and he could and he could, he could dance, but he couldn't dance like Mike.
Speaker 6: He can't dance like Mike.
Speaker 2: Mike is but Mike is that the better performer though Mike is the better performer, you know, So.
Speaker 6: In the versus it's hard to say.
Speaker 2: Because if if, if, if Prince is strategic, he could get the edge. But if he's not, Michael, Michael tell him apart. But I mean overall, just it's like it's like, I don't think I think that Michael Jackson is the biggest artist ever.
Speaker 6: I don't think we're gonna ever see another Michael jack Michael Jackson.
Speaker 2: No, I had the opportunity, but it was just so many people crowded around, and I just was like, I'm good, Prince. Yes, I haven't met Prince.
Speaker 3: Where was y'all at We.
Speaker 2: Was in Warner Brothers in more Austin office.
Speaker 3: Was he purple?
Speaker 6: Was he?
Speaker 2: No? I'm correct, I think he has some white shit on. He has some white shit or but he was, you know, sitting down at more Austin.
Speaker 3: Deaths, you know, hyper dedicated.
Speaker 2: He was like Michael Nah, he was like, you know, how may I help you out today? Like acting like he was more Awston. He was playing around and act like he was more Awson.
Speaker 3: You like this Prince?
Speaker 2: I know you are. Yeah. I was like atually I was like like Shot, you know you like, oh Ship, this is Prince.
Speaker 3: You know Prince had a deep voice. Yeah yeah, yeah, really that's the truth. So I say, you sound like Michael Jackson.
Speaker 2: Prince.
Speaker 5: I thought he Mike was the same Prince. Imagine we would have had both of them still around to this day.
Speaker 6: I would love to see that. That would have been crazy.
Speaker 1: We did w A, n w A or public Enemy.
Speaker 2: I'm not playing with Shot. I mean, this ain't my thing, you know, honestly, I don't you know, I'm I'm I'm like uncomfortable with putting artists against each other.
Speaker 6: That's something I never raised.
Speaker 2: I know we're playing, I know we're playing, but I mean that's just something I just ain't really.
Speaker 1: This one, this one and did I'm gonna get up out of here digital or analog?
Speaker 2: Analog? Analog? Right? I mean, it's so like the capabilities are endless with digital. But that feel of analog, man, that that's feel that his. I mean, just just the the tape alone create a hum noise that fills up the track, you know what I mean.
Speaker 6: It's just just.
Speaker 3: It records the energy.
Speaker 4: In the room.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sure you right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So this last one, say the movie one. I think the movie one's fair for him? You do it New Jack City or Juice?
Speaker 2: Mm hm hm hmm. That's interesting. Oh man, you know what I think I might say. I think I might say Juice. I think I might say Juice. I mean my reason is because, uh, Juice felt real New York. Right. You know, I didn't know any drug dealers that act like Nino in the eighties. Like all the drug dealers I knew in the eighties, they didn't act like my Wesley played the Nino character, right right?
Speaker 5: Jack said, Yeah, and you got a song on the Juice soundtrack. That's an amazing song.
Speaker 2: I do.
Speaker 6: It's an amazing song. Thank you, thank you.
Speaker 1: Last one, and then we're gonna go back to the interview. Loyalty or respect?
Speaker 6: Loyalty or respect? Can I get them both? Of course?
Speaker 3: That's that's the time we'recording ring your klecoffee.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, I'm drinking killer. That's the time where we always say we should say both. You know what I mean, because I think one.
Speaker 3: Goes hand to hand. You think that absolutely.
Speaker 1: So let me ask you because this is something I always wanted to know when I first, you know, came in and to knowledge with the five percent Nation. One of the things that they said it was a stop for law. You cannot do, you cannot have was yellow, right, yes, And the biz mark says, daddy can't my mic my mellow you know on the.
Speaker 3: Mike, because you know you yellow.
Speaker 1: I always wanted to act.
Speaker 2: Like wait a.
Speaker 1: Minute, always want to like wait a minute.
Speaker 6: I mean, you know, nobody take this serious.
Speaker 2: I mean he was just making something round with mellow, make around with mellow. You know.
Speaker 3: So no one never said hey, hey, god.
Speaker 10: No no, because that's workin ye pork the coloring like the cars too.
Speaker 2: Now, the guards was pissed at me about the Madonna book, but never about the jell O Ship book.
Speaker 3: When you was finger popping.
Speaker 1: Immed.
Speaker 3: You know, you know what's crazy. That was a different time. Must have been a crazy time.
Speaker 1: But but did you only see backlash from the guards or what from everybody?
Speaker 2: From everybody, you know, but I mean but yeah, yeah, yeah, but I mean like there was like a lot of guards. Hey, yo, god man, you need to we need to have a bill, man, I need to don't know the science behind that, man, you know, you know, but I mean, you know, I mean at that point in time, man, you know those that really understand, you know, the culture Islam. You know, you know that there are white Muslims you know does not approve and they don't he probably wouldn't, but they don't identify as white, nor the black ones identify as black. They all identify as Muslim, right, you know, so you know, with that understanding understood, I mean, you know, I'm not gonna, you know, be against Madonna because or anybody because they're white.
Speaker 1: You know, It's true, like once she went game, she still remains. Man. Yes, so I know we covering this the last time. But that Nam Campbell photo shoot? What was that for Calvin Klein?
Speaker 3: What was that?
Speaker 6: The Madonna book?
Speaker 1: The same thing? Okay, okay, you was you was outside, man, You was outside?
Speaker 3: Man, I ain't gonna lie, brother, Yes, great, yes, yes, because nah, this I don't know.
Speaker 6: There's a cartoon.
Speaker 2: There's a cartoon where someone like redid the photo with the characters from the cartoon. I don't know what cartoon it is, but that's why I was like, yeah, I'm like I need that on the T shirt.
Speaker 6: But it is a known cartoon.
Speaker 2: But they did it like with the one in the water with me, Naomi and Madonna.
Speaker 6: But I was like, oh, I need that on the T.
Speaker 1: Shirt because you know, like again, you faved a way for like, you know, these big hip records, these big moments in hip hop, right, because I remember it seemed like there was nothing bigger than Big Daddy came, like I remember like my whole childhood, like like I said, my flat top was and correct like I was, you know, I was trying to get my flat top right. I was trying to get and and then I remember there was one point I believe it was like when I Get the Job Done record came out and people was like, man, we lost Kane, like Caine is transcended hip hops into this whole nother world like they was like that. I believe it was using commercial at the time. Was that something that you received the backlash for, like I know we spoke.
Speaker 2: About the absolutely oh yeah, a whole lot of it, A whole lot of it.
Speaker 3: The record wasn't the video.
Speaker 2: I think the record okay, But I mean there was several songs, you know.
Speaker 6: But let me ask you this in hip hop.
Speaker 2: Today, right, I'm ready, how many songs do you hear that sound commercial? Yes? How many songs do you hear that have singing on them? Right? And how many songs do you hear on the radio that sound like boom back? Not a lot? See me as a student of hip hop, one thing I've always understood is that hip hop music musically has no origin. Grandmaster Cas said it best. I didn't invent anything. It reinvented everything. Musically, it has no origin because what herk was doing was taking other people music and bringing the breakbeat part playing that other people music, and that's what rappers rhyme to. That's what beat boys danced so right. Even though Human beat Box when they started out, they was doing beatboxing to break from records. There was other people music and those records were what impeached to President by Royal c. Soul song soul music, not hip hop soul music. Good Times by Chic Disco Rocket James Brown, Funk, Rocket in the Pocket by Saron Techno or Electronic or whichever one you want to use. Big Beat by Billy Squire, rock and roll, you see what I'm saying. Nautilists by Bob James Jazz. So all of those elements always been a part of hip hop. And that's all I was doing, was incorporating elements that already been a part of hip hop. Right you know?
Speaker 1: Do you think that because like, like you said, like it's so many hooks, like if you look at job RULs, so many things that do you think that was the invention of like people thinking that this is the way to go at the commercial route? Matter fact, let me rephrase that question. Was that more of a record label thing or was that a cane thing when you were saying let me let me go down?
Speaker 6: That was a cane thing.
Speaker 2: When I was doing it, I wanted to explore different things and try to open the mind frame of my fan base, you know, to see a bigger picture. That's what I was really trying to do. I just was a little too early with it, right you know. Had I waited till like nineteen ninety four, and it did it on Bad Boy Records, I would have been a bad mon I mean Puff sort of vision Puff, you know, you know, like like I love and respect Puff for that. Like he's like clearly he must have told Big like no, no, go ahead, kick all your gangster ship, but do it on this beat right here, right you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: That's what's the crazy thing about him is Big. If you look at all of his lyrics, it's as hard as but he, like, like you said, Puff kind of like puts soft beats under it and you kind of like don't see it.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, I mean I'm not even gonna call it soft beasts because I mean ship we used to know, I mean we should lose get me out, We used to lose our mind in the club when Juicy Fruit came on. But you can't call it a soft song because there's that Ship used to bang in the club Juicy Fruit, you know, banging the club.
Speaker 3: And your era too.
Speaker 5: On the other side, you had Hammer pushing that envelope of of going commercial and catching a lot of fleck as well.
Speaker 6: But I mean he was a commercial artist.
Speaker 2: But I mean I don't see what I honestly don't see what the problem is. Like, I don't have a problem with Hammer music. I didn't have a problem with Fresh Prince music. I mean because it was hip hop from a commercial standpoint. You know, everything don't need to be thubbed out. We got artists like Okay, for example, what if Will Smith would have put out some gangster stuff in the eighties and and some some some real live street dudes would have tried them, it would have been you know what I'm saying. You know, you know, it's like, you know, he he did what was right for him, and the bars was right, like like lyrically he was spitting.
Speaker 6: I thought it was dope.
Speaker 2: It was commercial, but it was dope, and he was coming from a different perspective. I don't see what the problem was, you know, but I mean, you know, it's like, you know, you know, people just love to find something wrong with everything everything.
Speaker 1: How about Buella likes how you feel about him?
Speaker 2: Same thing with Aillis. I don't think that you know that the music was bad. You know what I'm saying. I don't have a problem with him making commercial hip hop. You know, I think that some of the things that he said in interviews was bad. You know, it's like like you know.
Speaker 3: The discrepancies where he was from.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all types of stuff, and he invented the yep yep and all this other stuff, and it was like, you know, just just just just be this successful hip hop artists, you know, just winning in the commercial market. Just be him. You know, I think that that would have worked so much better for him. You know, it's just the backlash I think got the better of him, because I mean, you look at like Eminem, he never tried to be black. He never tried to be black, and he talking hood ship but it's his hood trailer park, you know what I'm saying. But even though there was a lot of people that you know, wanted to hate on him.
Speaker 3: You couldn't because he was himself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because it's like there's there's nothing that's back in what you're saying, because he's not trying to be black. In fact, he's employing a whole bunch of black people, you know, on the label and working for the label, you know what I'm saying. So it's like, you know, it's like he didn't go through it when the lights went through.
Speaker 1: And he was lyrically respected through underground.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, Well that played the heavy part too. He paid his dues.
Speaker 5: I forgot the outside, Yeah, the outside.
Speaker 2: You I mean, being nice as fuck on the mic too, and play heavy a major part too.
Speaker 5: But it boils down to authenticities what you're saying, Like, I think that's one.
Speaker 3: Of the pillars of hip hop that is important.
Speaker 5: Like if you're truly authentically who you are, that'll shine through and get you through a lot.
Speaker 1: But what's the last one?
Speaker 3: They group?
Speaker 6: I thought today was called ever Last.
Speaker 3: Year of Pain?
Speaker 2: Ever Last.
Speaker 5: He was down with Ryme Syndicate with Iced ty in them right and then and then he did House of Pain.
Speaker 1: I we think it insane. Clown Posse is authentic to what they do and to where they're from.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for real, even even Beastie Boys, absolutely, you know, because these is punk rockers turned hip hop, And I mean it's like their songs are more punk rock vibe, right, you know, I mean the way the way they spitting and stuff, you know.
Speaker 3: So, I mean and coming out of a and they got to Brooklyn, but.
Speaker 5: Coming out of an era where punk rock and hip hop were kind of together.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, absolutely, like seventy seven, seventy seventy seven to seventy nine was really like where punk rock and hip hop came into the forefront.
Speaker 1: That just walked this way.
Speaker 6: That's for now.
Speaker 2: I'm talking like Deborah Harry, the Ramones.
Speaker 3: Almost Queens.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah, like like they like, you know, like that whole punk because what was happening was like you had people like Fab five Freddy He's going to the white parties, Russell Simmons, Yeah the time. Yeah, but they're they're hanging out at CBGB's for the punk rock parties. And then they're taking all these hi punk broadcasts uptown to Harlem World for a hip hop party. So it's like this their mission because they.
Speaker 3: The spikes come from right, the spikes.
Speaker 2: I don't know, Okay, I mean it's a possibility a lot. I mean, but then again, you know, that could have just been some I don't know, that could have been some brock ship. I don't know, I don't know.
Speaker 5: I think it came the disco. Yeah who told us that. I think we heard We've heard different things. I know Africa been botting. All them were the first adopters of that.
Speaker 2: Look, yeah, yeah, that's who you need to ask, like Van Barda or Mail or flash. We definitely need Yes, yes, if y'all bring mail, I want to come back.
Speaker 6: I just want to sit over there.
Speaker 3: It would be amazing to have melly mellow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm a I'm ana be in that corner, just like like Derek d ditt.
Speaker 6: I tell them why you man?
Speaker 1: Man? Yeah, So let's talk about set it off?
Speaker 2: Man?
Speaker 3: How did how did that session?
Speaker 1: How did that?
Speaker 3: How did how did that record come about?
Speaker 2: Set it off? Me and Biz went to Mark forty five King Crib Yeah, and he played this beat that he had for Biz and Biz didn't like it. So I told Mark. I was like, yo, if if it's okay with you, I use it, and he said, yeah, you can have it.
Speaker 6: I said, but can it go a little faster?
Speaker 2: So he, you know, he tried to speed up a little bit and I was like, no, no, no, I meant faster, like if it's thirty three, can you play it on forty five?
Speaker 6: And he said, funny you say that.
Speaker 2: He took the disc out and loaded up another disc and this disc it was playing. He was like, that's the actual speed, he said. I slowed it down for Biz because I know he don't like fast beasts. But this is the actual speed. I was like, I take it, and then he told me, yeah, I already submitted it for a public Enemy remix. I can't remember whether it was Bring the Noise or not a Living base Head, but he had submitted it for a public Enemy remix, so he told me I couldn't have it, so, you know, BIZ stayed on top of him until finally, I don't know whether they turned it down. I don't know if def Jam turned it down or whether the case may be with Bit stayed on top of him until I could get.
Speaker 3: It on your behalf. Bit stay on top of him, Yeah, that's good.
Speaker 2: Stayed on top of Mark forty five until I can get the beat and then Busy you know, like call me yeah. And then he gave me the beat, and when I was sitting there, I'm like, I'm like, I don't really want to rhyme over that. I think we should say that for the hook. And then I put this James Brown shit in the you know, yeah, I put that in there, and then yeah, and that's how we did it. And it was like I had something in mind already because it was like I had heard sex Machine from James Brown, and I'm listening like, you know we're gonna do it moving grooving.
Speaker 6: Can I count it off?
Speaker 2: Can I? I'm like, I need something like that where like the energy is there before the bea drop. I got to figure out a way to do it hip hop wise. And I was like, yeah, you know what, just start the rhyme off acappella and didn't let the bee come in.
Speaker 6: So that's why the letter rope get bold. I just caun't let that and.
Speaker 2: Want to build down up. Then I just thought, you know, I was trying to like do what James did with Sex Machine.
Speaker 3: Makes no noise that I got there. Let's go to warm it up?
Speaker 6: Can warm it up?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Warm it up? Biz once again? Man Coov called me one day. Kov called me on the phone. Kov is biz DJ for those that don't know. He called me on the phone one day and he was like, Yo, I got this joint for you. This shit crazy and it's perfect for you. I'm like, okay, what's happening. He was like, Nah, it's one of them up tempo joints. BIZ was going to use it. But and before you could say anything else, you hear bus in the background. It so goddamn fast. V was like, but yo, I need you do me a favor. I need you to write this here ship for me with my BAM. So he asked me to write this verse for him, and you know then you know they gave me the beat. But yeah, yeah, yeah, that's that's another joint that came from BIZ just like a step crazy.
Speaker 3: You know what's crazy?
Speaker 1: And I'm jumping off subject but still on subject a little bit, you know, I hear you you saying this so much, like why was BIZ so much of a respect at MC and like you you blatantly like wrote his rhymes and like he had help, but no one looks at Biz like a person that wasn't an MC. Like everyone looks at him like a respectable person. But nowadays if someone was to get help on that pen that they don't, they don't look at him like a real MC.
Speaker 2: Because it's like when it comes to MC, and you know, you have lyricists and you have party rockers. Uh you know, I'm a lyricist, Rock him is a lyricist, Kress g rap you know lyricists. Then you know you got party rockers, Biz, Dougie Fresh, Busy Bee, you know, DJ Hollywood, Right, So it's like with cats like that. If someone right there rhymes, you don't trip on that because it's like their job is to rock the party and when they come they do their job. With us. We're lyricists. Our job is to be lyricists. Someone else right now, ship then we ain't really lyricists, right, you know, real talk.
Speaker 5: I want to get shout out bov for and he has a show with rock san Chante.
Speaker 1: That's why roll that's right, check it out up. I wanted to invite me up, write us on.
Speaker 2: Let's go to r A w row.
Speaker 3: No conners back then.
Speaker 6: Right, They had nothing to do with that. Cut it out.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 6: What happened was we had just rhyming with bizz out.
Speaker 2: Damn.
Speaker 1: That's my next question, man, stop doing my interview.
Speaker 2: I was so happy to have that song out. Unfortunately, everybody thought it was Biz's song. It's playing on the radio, but it's like biz Ram's first and then I come on, so they thought it was Biz's song. So I got a new song out yet and stilled though I'm sitting at home, broke me and school, gotta walk fifteen blocks to the store. Steal missus for missus missus Paul's fish sticks Kansas shrimp.
Speaker 3: Wow here, how old are you at this time? More or less nineteen?
Speaker 2: I think nineteen Yeah, but I got a record out and I'm broke, not making no money because nobody's booking me for no shuts right because biz song. So I'm damn near crying to fly Tirl like yo mill, come on man to put another song out with just me, tires like Yore's Life and the songs like then finally, at some point, Tied just got tired of me asking him, and he just.
Speaker 1: So people know, fly tis the person that own records Colture.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Tie finally got tired of me asking him, and he was like, yeah, all right, go ahead, do a song. So Mally made a beat and I wrote the rhymes the raw. And then this girl I was dating at the time, she was like, why are you always going on to Molly Malhouse. Won't you spend time with me? I got records you can look through my records of and she pulled these records out and she had the first thing I saw was the soundtrack The Black Cason, and I'm like, that was my movie, right, yeah, yeah, that was my movie. I'm like, all right, I stay so I stayed, I'm looking through the records playing ship and the first thing I heard was that that sounded funky was pays the cost to be the boss. I heard that, I'm like, oh, oh, I gotta use this. But then I'm playing more, and then I heard this song i'ma feel Good and I heard these horns bo bo, and I'm like, oh, that would work on the beat that Marley made, you know. So I'm like, yeah, me grad this. And then the next morning I did try to do what Biz always do, like before he go to Marley Cribb. He would always stop it downstairs records. That was you know, his you know routine. So I did it and I stopped by there and my man j C that worked in there. Jac was like, yo, we just got these James Brown imports in and he played them for me. I forgot what the first one was, and he played the other one. It was called cross the Tracks kiddn't play. Ended up using it, I think from my way, I think that's the name of the song. But anyway, then he played the third one and that was the catch catch catch. I'm like, yes, I'll take that, So I took it, went to Marley crib and was like, yo, the song we were somebody. I want to do it, but not with your beat. We need to use this. Marlly SPADs the funk out. He lost it. Nah, noah, we need to But then when I played this ship Mally, that ship hot. So he I went to go with some pizza and he looped it up. But when I came back, he looped up the first two bars. I was like, nah, six bars in there's an offbeat sneer. We're like, boom, indumped the tape. I'm like, yo, we need that. He mad as a motherfucker because now because now he got to re sample it. And then after he sampled it, dumping the tape again.
Speaker 3: This is pre digital verybody. Yeah, yes, sampled.
Speaker 6: Up again. And then you know he did that and.
Speaker 2: This is rocking, and I'm like, all right, put this horn part in. He sampled it, you know, the he stopped it. He like, Yo, that shit sound like some public Enemy stuff. Man, we ain't trying to sound like them. Them niggas want to be Juice Crew. I'm like, Marley, this shit gonna drive the record right here. This is the thing right here that's driving the record. That horn right there is gonna make the world of difference, I promise you.
Speaker 6: And then you know, he sampled.
Speaker 2: It in there and put it in there, and then I was like, yo, can we get an eight or eight on the one the boom? And then Marley said watch this, watch this boom boom. He was like ah, I'm like hell yeah and yeah. Then I went in there and spent the vocals and the rest was his.
Speaker 1: God damn.
Speaker 2: Because the reason that's the reason why I start the song off saying here I am l A W is because I felt like, finally, here I am because I'm a lot to you, not I was broken ship man. Were just rhyme with a bit? Just rhyme with Biz?
Speaker 1: That's my next question, And let me ask you because this has been like a lifelong debate for me. I'm listening to just rhyming with Biz. Were y'all really rhyming in the park or.
Speaker 3: That was in the studio?
Speaker 2: That?
Speaker 6: Okay, yeah, it was me Biz and freaking frack because as I.
Speaker 1: Listened to it now, it still sounds like because the rumor was that you did it in the park, and like that was like.
Speaker 2: A no now because what it was was like the studio Mic and Mally normally have with the little screen thing in front of it.
Speaker 6: We was passing it around.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's the reason why I said it.
Speaker 2: It sounds like it was just me Biz and freaking Frack from South Side Queens, the two girls from South Side Queens, you know, the female rappers. You know, we just was rhyming after I did a song song is called something and Funky. It's it's also on the same twelve inch that was the actual song, but then we just rhymed. Afterwards Marley played the freestyle and people was requesting that more than the actual song. Wow, it so flying time, you know, put it on the twelve inch.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So let's let's take it a young gifted.
Speaker 2: In Black, Young Gifted in Black. I did a radio promo with Marley Maul called Raw Attitude. It was me and Antoinette because Antoinette had a song called I Got Attitude and I had Raw So we did this radio promo called Royal Attitude for for for bls and that's all. It was just radio promo. But then Marley took the beat and gave it to Shan. But you know, it was like I didn't actually produce this one, this one. Like I just gave Marley the sample and he put it together and he just gave it to Sham, but he didn't ask me, can Shan have it? So I was like, yo, you owe me a beat tomorrow tomorrow. I'm like, yo, you owe me a beat.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 2: I'm not I didn't tell you to get the Shan but no, honesty, I didn't really want it, you know what I mean. But I mean I was like, you owe me a beat. So Marley played this beat one day. I was like, yo, I checked this joint out I got for Shan and he played the ship and I'm like that's just mean, and he, you know, stopped and took it out. I took the fucking fire floppy disk and hid that ship in like his R and B stash. Real talk that guy. I made it in another stash. And then you know, when the time came, it was like, yo, you owe me a beat. I need something from you. He was like, I he started, you got ready placed some stuff. I was like, no, no, no, I already know what I want. And I went right back to that stash and pulled that disc out and I was like, I want that. And when he popped it in and so it was y'all been looking for this here ship, yo. You know it's supposed to be for sharing. I was like, well, you gave share my ship, and that's how that's how I ended up with that beat, because the beat was really for sharing.
Speaker 5: I said that with vinyl I couldn't afford, I would stash it in another section of the violin come back to it when.
Speaker 6: I exactly did you you know, you know.
Speaker 5: For the joints that you found samples and co produced, did you get the credit?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 6: No, and let me let me let me just clear that up.
Speaker 2: So there's no uh hate or any way that anybody can try to, you know, kick dirt on Marley name with the joint I'm talking about that I gave Mally a beat and he put it together now with like raw and Ain't a Half Stepping. These are songs that I put together and Marley just did it on the drum machine. But these are songs that I put together, So I feel like I produced these songs. Get the credit, no, but these are songs that I feel I produce. Now, there have been many artists that brought beasts to Marley, gave him the record, and then Marley put it together. You bring someone a record, that's what we call in the streets a good fine, a good fine fine. Yeah, yeah, that's that's Craig digging terms. That's a good fine. So that's a good fine. But if you give the record of Marley and he you know, sample this part, sample that part, put a kick snare to it, whatever, you know, high hats on tambourines, whatever, he's producing the song.
Speaker 6: You just found a dope break record. That's all you did.
Speaker 2: But like songs like Raw ain't a half step and these are joints.
Speaker 6: That you know, I pretty much did all.
Speaker 3: The structureing and you give it a black one.
Speaker 2: That's Molly Young gives him black is all Marley. Lean on Me is all Molly you know, yeah, yeah, that's all Mally. I'll take you there all Marley. Okay, Yeah.
Speaker 3: How about the Wrath of.
Speaker 6: K Rafter Kane. That would be mek.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was that was a funny session to Marley was pissed, but he didn't. He didn't.
Speaker 6: He was like, it's too far, it's too fast. Let me slow it down.
Speaker 2: I'm like nah, I'm like nah, I ain't never go this fast. I'm like, I never went this fast, Like I need to take it to the next level. And he was like, yo, only people gonna like this ship is Puerto Ricans and break dances. I like it because with Raffa Kine, it's like it had to be switched around because the beat goes boom.
Speaker 6: We got get got got boom boom.
Speaker 2: Gat, So we had to catch the second part boom get boom gat and make that first to make the first part boom but gat gat make that second, so it would be like boom gat boom gat boom but got gatt. But they had to be switched around, you know, not get that part, then get that part and then switch play that one you know this first and then that's you know what I'm saying. I had them to do that, you know. But once again, you're that was something that you know, our structured as well, because the reason for that was because fly Tire couldn't get them to release set it off as the second single. He was trying to get Warner Brothers to put out at that office a second single. They wouldn't do it. They wanted to go and I'll take you there because now since I was on Warner Brothers. Prince was willing to clear the sample, so they wanted to go with that.
Speaker 6: Fly time. I couldn't get you set up.
Speaker 2: So since I knew that there was nothing I could do, and I couldn't even convince them to do set it off as the B side, I'm like, well, let's set up. They was like one of us was like, no, just in case we do a third single, we rather hold off. So I just said fuck it. Then I just went in the studio. I did a new song, which was rafa king.
Speaker 3: But what made you pick that song to come out to the Apollo with.
Speaker 2: They told me that they record mostly everything, and they was like, you know, we record most of them. We got a studio upstairs, so like when people be on stage, we normally record, you know stuff, So we have a whole lot of shows, concerts record the audio recorded.
Speaker 6: I'm like, okay, I want to I want to do that.
Speaker 2: Did you hear them?
Speaker 1: Did you hear it?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, No, I don't gotta hit a ground. I can hear my asthmetic ass you listen like that was the first time I realized. I'm like, yeah, you gotta get your breathing right.
Speaker 3: But that's how you know you're perfected.
Speaker 1: This none of us hear that, Oh we hears you tearing that ship down and the crowd going crazy.
Speaker 2: But next time we listen to Rath, I'm shouting like motherfucking dopad on it, you know what I'm saying on.
Speaker 3: The way here, and that it sounds so dope.
Speaker 1: I love I loved shows back then when you have to buy hard tickets and things like that, do you do you miss days like that? Hell yeah, because like right now, like these people can like buy like online not even show show up to your curency.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean it's not really the days of the tickets, it's the days of.
Speaker 6: The appreciation.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 6: It's like.
Speaker 2: Nowadays, you know, you come on stage, if there's ten thousand people in the audience, you're probably looking at seven thousand cell phones.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I hate that they're like this.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, you know, it's like nobody's really enjoying.
Speaker 5: Appreciating the experience anymore. Yeah, it's something they're trying to capture for later.
Speaker 3: Which yeah, yeah, that's that's kind of crazy. But you know, let me just.
Speaker 1: Tell you how powerful your your stage presence is the other day, you know, obviously I'm studying, you know, for the interview, but I'm also just looking at on the internet and I'm looking at your stage show, right, and then I just go randomly and I'm looking at money bags yo, and money bags Yo, Damn your same routine. Like damn, they're like, you know, jumping around and I'm looking and I'm like, he probably don't even know, you know, like like his stage presence, like where he actually got that from, like having dances interacting with them, And I was just sitting there like damn, like that this form of hip hop is still in, It's just in a different thing.
Speaker 6: I gotta I gotta look him up now for me.
Speaker 2: But I would, honestly if that's what you saw, and I would love to meet that brother. I would love to like really just sit and build with him about, you know, performance, just to tell him some of the things that I've heard.
Speaker 1: But you know what's crazy. I used to go to the road with Oconnelly. Ocannella used to stop and he used to do like these girls with bananas and that he had he had his version of scoop and scratch no no, no death serious because he had put in your mouth so he had to make that one song stretched you understand I'm saying soul. And then I was sitting there and I'd be like and he'd be like, man, I got this stage presidence from Kine And I'd be like, did you did you know like a lot of people like Bay State stage presidence on how entertainment he was on and you are on stage.
Speaker 2: No, I didn't know that.
Speaker 6: I mean, I think it's beautiful.
Speaker 2: You know. I remember when me and you had the conversation in London about performing down again, you know, But I mean it's like I think it's I think I think it's a blessing because.
Speaker 6: That's something that's been important to me.
Speaker 2: You know. I saw Bizz perform and do what he do and I was like, yo, he's rocking the crowds. But it's like I didn't want to do the funny stuff, you know. I'm like, Okay, what's my niche? What's it gonna be? And I learned my niche from Dougie Fresh. It was like doug came to see my show and he was like, no, I'm gonna watch it from the crowd, And he watched it from the crowd and we came backstage It's like everybody's like, yo, you tore that ship down, Yo, you bodied it or you just say body then, but whatever the word slang was in like eighty seven, you know, He's like, yo, this and that.
Speaker 3: What did dog say?
Speaker 2: Dog? Well, you know in his fucking high pitch boys, you know, why are.
Speaker 1: You Everyone's telling dogs like man?
Speaker 2: And I mean I'm like looking at him, like, oh, you fucking old school hater. But then he goes, yo, what you're doing, won't you come back to the crib, let's be So we go back to his crib and he popping these videos Earth Winning Fire, Michael Jackson, Pink Floyd, and he's showing me this stuff and he's like, yo, you see what they're doing. He's like, this is what I learned from Because everybody else is studying Run DMC and Flashing the Furious five and Odini, I'm studying what's never been done in hip hop before and introducing it for the first time.
Speaker 6: Wow, And I'm like m hm.
Speaker 2: So that next morning I woke up, went straight to Tower Video and bought VHS's of James Brown, Barry White, and Marvin K and started studying those. I mean, fine, like like like fine, fine to like yeah everything you know from Barry White taking his pocket square, wiping his sweat out us on his face.
Speaker 1: Where do you get that routine when you dropped the mic and then you pick it back up?
Speaker 3: What is it with the.
Speaker 2: Drop drop ship make it? Look?
Speaker 3: What did you get?
Speaker 1: Because like, I know what's coming, Like it's like a magician, like you know the trick is coming, but I still get caught.
Speaker 3: I'm looking like he's.
Speaker 1: Gonna do it, He's gonna do it, and you're still not still.
Speaker 2: Amazed, Like well, you know, that was something we used to do before internet days, so okay, nobody really knew, you know, but then once you know, it became you know, like you know, I started trending so crazy. I just stopped doing it in the show. But yeah, we used to do that a lot back then. This is like early two thousands, you know, before you know, Internet was real crazy, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: But how did you come up with that? Like did you the mike actually drop out of that?
Speaker 2: No? No, no, no, no, no, I was it was like it was a rhyme that I wrote and uh, matter of fact, now I ain't gonna put dude, on blast.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Somebody had told me that you know that that that the rhyme, that I could have spit something harder, you know, and I was just like, you know, like yeah, motherfucker, and I started staying it on stage and it was coming off on stage, you know, and then I was like, I got an idea, this one. I got an idea.
Speaker 1: So I just you talking to this one person in your mind. You're saying, you talking to this one person.
Speaker 6: Like like now. It was like, you know, like day day day.
Speaker 2: They told me the rhyme was hard enough, and I started sage's killing them. And then I'm like, you know what I got said the idea. So I just then I added those bars in the front of the round, those those in the front where I dropped the mic, and then I started to ride, you know, and it started killing every night.
Speaker 6: It was just something I just came up with.
Speaker 1: Goddamn it. We have we have comedians on here all the time. Before and then we'll come back to this, uh lean on me and we'll come back to that. But we have comedians on here all the time. Comedians say that had they had these material uh that they that they made back then, now they might not be successful comedians. Is there any lyrics that you think though from back then that you can.
Speaker 3: That wouldn't survive survive nowadays?
Speaker 2: Did you think, yeah, what's the work's going to mine? I'll take you there? I mean I think that the song was you know, what I was talking about was, you know, a beautiful spiritual message. But I don't now, I don't think it would have stood. I don't think it stood the test of time. Okay, lyrically, I don't think it stood the testa time.
Speaker 3: You don't think it aged?
Speaker 2: Well, nah, no, I'll take you there. Definitely be one of those songs I don't think. Yeah, yeah, definitely, I'll take you there.
Speaker 3: How about this one? You're ready for one?
Speaker 1: Ready you take them eight to eighty?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, yeah, like right now, Yeah, I just said that ship this year I had register.
Speaker 6: Ebody moving neighborhood.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, that would have went you know.
Speaker 1: That's yeah, that was the that was the same.
Speaker 6: But yeah now yeah yeah that ship.
Speaker 1: Well also a great a great song with nicest move peppering ain't easy. That's still like around like people still say it, say it.
Speaker 3: How did that record come about?
Speaker 6: Just one night in the studio.
Speaker 2: I forgot what we was recording that day, but Nice and Smooth came through and we just decided, let's do a song. Wow and did that? No? I did that?
Speaker 1: Okay, Wow, that's right. I forgot you.
Speaker 2: Well I did it and had to beat rocking.
Speaker 6: And then Prince Paul he was there too.
Speaker 2: He said, yo, let me put some drums up under it, and he put the Mary Mary drums up on of it and then basically kicked me out the control room and took over the whole goddamn over fucking session.
Speaker 6: Here what you have up him?
Speaker 2: I'm a rap artist.
Speaker 3: Are you the cops that.
Speaker 5: We might have talked about it last time you were here, But let's refresher Hollywood Burn Burn, Hollywood Burn with a Public Enemy and ice Cube talk about that record.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean when I got the call from Chuck, I was like ecstatic, you know, because I mean a big Public Enemy fan. And you know, he sat there and broke it down while he was envisioned, and I thought it was a dope concept. I'm like, yeah, I see it, I see it.
Speaker 6: I love it.
Speaker 2: And then at the end then he adds on, yeah, ice Cube gonna be on the tool and I'm.
Speaker 3: Like, oh, you didn't know that.
Speaker 6: No, no, no, no.
Speaker 2: He ain't telling me that the end of the conversation, right, He told me that at the end of the conversation. So I was like, you know, yeah, So, I mean I really wanted to like really come through because Chuck was somebody that I really admired, looked up to because of what he represented in hip hop. Right, you know, the type of figure he is, you know, He's someone that I've always admired, respected and looked up to. So I was like, I'm honored to be on a song with you, right, you know, and I wanted to be right.
Speaker 1: So you wrote your verse before knowing ice Cube was on there?
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no no, he told me at the end of the conversation, so I knew he was going to be on it.
Speaker 5: And Chuck told us that that song is what kind of ushered you know, qes leaving n w A and working with the Bomb Squad and was a part of that whole like transition.
Speaker 2: I didn't know that.
Speaker 6: Okay, beautiful, Speaking.
Speaker 1: Of that, do you do you write your rhymes different when you know someone else is on the record or is it?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Okay, yeah, Okay, if I if I know.
Speaker 2: That someone like real lyrical on a joint.
Speaker 6: Matter of fact, I tell you a funny story.
Speaker 1: Let's go.
Speaker 6: I did a song with Game Game. Uh.
Speaker 2: I can't remember the name of the song, and I know the chorus is like KRS spits like you know, the game spit like the Daddy can't spit. I can't remember the name of the song. But anyway, when we did it. Now, I had did a song with with KRS called it was a tony touches Me KRS and g RAT, I think so. But yeah, we me, KRS and Givat we did a song and me and he wrapped. We came in there on our ship and KRS came in there, you know, as the teacher, right, and we just did a show together, and you know, he was in his teacher mode, you know, you know, so this night at the studio, I'm like, okay, me Game, KRS. You know, okay, Los.
Speaker 1: Angeles in l A oh wow, Yeah, I just Lucky Man Game in Heavy.
Speaker 2: And Heavy d rest in Pieces just did the show the House of Blues, Wow, and they all asked us to come through the game you know, his.
Speaker 3: People, his game session.
Speaker 1: He invites his game You Cares and Heavy d Heavy.
Speaker 2: He invited me and KRS and Dougie Fresh game like Doug beatboxes at the end History History didn't that's history.
Speaker 3: That's a dope track.
Speaker 2: Wow. So you know, in my mind frame, I'm like, you know, ship, I'd have been drinking half drunk. I'm like, but I got some old ship. I got some old ship that a tear them apart. I ain't even trapping. And I get there and then kr Rest goes in there and Rhyme's first, and I forgot what he said something about about remember that song Chicken Noodle Soup. That's how your head gonna look on the back of your coop.
Speaker 6: And he was he was sitting on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he said something about about something about some about something about pussy you eat around the bush, and then yeah, it was it was like and then like I just got up and I grabbed my wife and I'm like, you know, going there and make me a cup of coffee. You know, I need some coffee. I gotta wake the funk up. And she was like, what's wrong, what's wrong? The teacher's not here, Blastmaster. I was like, the teacher's not like Chris ain't playing shipped to get Yeah, for real, that's.
Speaker 1: The one time you have to be righteous.
Speaker 2: No, well, no, I never. I didn't write anything. I was about to say some old ship. I never. You know, he ain't playing Oh god, damn kings around. I can't remember the lad.
Speaker 1: He's about.
Speaker 5: You do you think in terms of like the way that hip hop the trajectory, people are saying that it's become a commodity for industry and the cultural aspect, which is graffiti, the dancing and the break dancers of B boys and be girls, the dj mcs has been dissected, taking apart.
Speaker 3: Do you feel that that's true or not true?
Speaker 2: Yeah? But I mean you know what you expect, man, I mean, I mean that happened with rock and roll, that happened with jazz.
Speaker 5: You know, you don't think it's avoidable for hip hop, that it can come back.
Speaker 2: To what it was not not unless we take control of hip hop. And when I say we, I don't mean the artists. I mean y'all motherfuckers, you know, and and uh like the Kevin Lyles and you know those type of cats you know say like Okay, look I want this. But I also want this, you know, I want to talk about this, but I also want to talk about.
Speaker 6: That, right, you know, And it's like.
Speaker 2: Showcasing the lyrical artists, showcasing showcasing the conscious artists, you know, and making it where you know, everybody guess that same equal type of play. Because I mean, you got to think about it. You know, conscious hip hop was the forefront back then. N w A didn't really get no radio play. Luke didn't get no radio play. Ghetto boys g Rapped didn't getting no radio play, you know, because of the violence or the sexual content that was mentioned in the lyrics.
Speaker 6: You know, conscious hip hop was the forefront.
Speaker 2: But they still went platinum, double platinum, you know what I'm saying because people love them.
Speaker 3: Who are you talking about? No, no, no, We're just talking about culturally.
Speaker 5: Like remember we talked about what specially about the industry making hip hop and rap music specifically the commodity and the culture dissected into.
Speaker 6: But I mean, you know, it's you got to understand.
Speaker 2: It's like, you know, from a business aspect, it's all about what's going to generate money, and that's the only thing they going to think about. Corporation is only going to think about what's going to generate money, and once something becomes commercial, what happens is quality goes out and quantity comes in. Right, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: Well, what's different I think for what you're saying and for hip hop specifically with the elements, is that the music was the first thing that they were easily able to make money off of. But the other elements found their way in terms of the art figuring out ways to make money. Now, breakdances going into the Olympics, they figured out to make money, and those elements internationally are just as big as the music itself.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so it's.
Speaker 3: Just maybe maybe hip hop could be different.
Speaker 6: Well, I mean it's like.
Speaker 2: Graffiti found its way into art, right, not elevating as hip hop? Right, Right, they found its way into art, break dancing found its way into the Olympics, right, you know, not elevating as hip hop. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: I said it earlier.
Speaker 1: I think I said this, they brung Big to your crib, But it was the rumor that Jazzo brong jay Z to your crib.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, okay, Shirt Kings and queens.
Speaker 3: Yea queens, we always something.
Speaker 1: Bug around Queens Brome give it up because because the rumor was that you were supposed to sign jay Z. At one point it was that just a room. Can you straighten that out?
Speaker 2: No, no, no, What it was was Shirt Kings asked me to do a mixtape with Jazz, which.
Speaker 6: I came.
Speaker 2: I met with them, and then Jazz said, can my man rhyme on the tape? I say cool. So we did the mixtape, me Jazz and jay Z and then on a ride back home, Nike from the Shirt King says, Yo, really, we wanted you to do this because we're trying to get Jazz a new deal and we was wondering if you'd be willing to work with him to get a new deal, okay, And I was like, honestly, I kind of liked the light skinned motherfucker better. It's impossible I could work with him. And then that's how me and jay Z got connected.
Speaker 1: Oh, because you didn't know Jazz, I thought y'all was like from the same neighborhood as No.
Speaker 2: Jazz was somebody that ship back then. Jazz was somebody I was like extremely jealous of. Jazz was the hottest unsigned artist in Brooklyn, Like no Jazz was so popular in Brooklyn. Like I had battled a lot of people. My name was buzzing, but it wasn't like Jazz. It was like it was like fat boys in Houdini Jazz. Oh big Gotty knew you know what I'm saying, Like yeah, you know, so it was like, yeah, he was like popular, like a like a signed artist my battle and I always wanted to battle this dude but could never find him. I even went to Marcy and battled some other dude because Jazz wasn't around. But I mean, yeah, I was like, you know, like I want to battle. So when they said that about it, you know, it's like I got records out and stuff. But I mean it was like I'm thinking in that mind frame, you know. But then when they said this, it was like yeah, I mean it was great, you know, meeting Jazz and he did that fast rapping ship that night. You know, the first time I heard that ship, you know, and I was like, Yo, dude is dope. You know, I'm like, but yo, that that other dude. He just reminded me of me with his slick ass tongue. I like to work with the light skin dude. And then that was jay Z and then we started working together.
Speaker 1: I want to touch on something you said earlier, because you said a mixtape. When you say a mixtape, I want these people to understand what you mean meant by a mixtape when you said.
Speaker 2: Well what with the French Gordon had the tape with a bunch of songs on it, but he had a freestyle on it. You know, it's like you know song yeah, yeah, right, and it was a freestyle with me Jazz and jay Z. Wow. That was on you know tape with a whole bunch of other artists, you know, music mixed together. But anyway, though, you know I started working with jay Z. I started taking him in the studio and recording songs on him and trying to get him signed.
Speaker 6: And you know, we we went to many different labels.
Speaker 1: I need you to lay in one label that eight Day Heart Outs. Who did he bring the front on?
Speaker 6: Jay Z Giant Records?
Speaker 1: They go Deaf Jam.
Speaker 2: Jamad Giant Records, Death Jam, Warner.
Speaker 6: Brothers, Warner Brothers, You're fucked up when I'm on.
Speaker 3: Wild Wow.
Speaker 2: But yeah yeah they turned it down. Yeah, But I mean and then like when I when I went on the road with Patty LaBelle. I. I saw that Patty was doing outfit changes. Like I'm sitting here talking, I'm like, Yo, they have the same ship, Patty. Patty didn't have red on just a minute. Yeah yeah, that's about the third time I'm sitting there. So now I'm paying attention. So when her tour ended and I went back on my tour, I'm like, I called jay Z and I called Positive Care. I'm like, yeah, I need you to come on the road with me.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna bring you out out in the.
Speaker 2: Year year I can.
Speaker 1: I got him? Man, what your man got to do with me?
Speaker 5: K holy that that famous recording, that's what jay Z comes out, No, Biggie comes out also, right, jay Z comes out shy oh yeah.
Speaker 2: In Madison Garden I think it was the ninety three I believe. Yeah big it asked mister C can he come to the show with the Garden and and say, yo, can I come? And can I bring Tupac because Park was in New York and you know, see he asked me, and I was like, yeah, yeah, absolutely, yeah, bring him on throat so big, but pop through and at the end of the.
Speaker 1: Show, that's your show, show, Okay, that's right, the famous biggie.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, totally forgot that down here on vinyl tape.
Speaker 3: Masters pressed it up and I got it on vinyl.
Speaker 2: Oh. But I was a super fest, I believe, nineteen ninety three, and you know, near the near the end of the show, I brought them all up on stage, Big Pie, uh shah, heem yeah he was there to yea, yeah shah. He was on tour with me, like his label, his label, his label sent them. He was there too, No, No.
Speaker 3: Was because not Jaz's not on one of the recordings.
Speaker 6: No, he's not on that, not on that one.
Speaker 3: Maybe he's on that vinyl, just on something else.
Speaker 2: Jay Jay, I think you're talking about my birthday party in ninety one.
Speaker 6: Okay, that's probably what you're talking about.
Speaker 2: But yeah, with that one, it was just me, Shaheim, Big Jay and School School. Yeah, and in Fat Joe was there too, right, yeah, yeah, because other night with yeah, because Joe was called supposed to go next. Joe's supposed to go next, and then they were on the side of the stage. Let me know, you got five minutes left and I still hadn't done half stepping off woman up. Oh god, Yeah, So I couldn't let Joe on, and I had to, like I can't, man, you know that? Yeah, and now because I mean it's like, you know, I know that feeling because like you know, I was where Joe was.
Speaker 6: I was there like a year before.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying with Bobby Brown, you know, brought me on and let me rob you know, So, I mean I really wanted to bring Joe on, but we we only had five minutes left and I still hadn't done half stepping off.
Speaker 1: Woman up, did you ever think that Tupac and Big they camarbority they had at that time whatever end up where they was at, especially that night, did you see like you know what I.
Speaker 2: Mean successfully or return into the essence what you mean?
Speaker 1: I meant like you know that having beat because at the time you look at that, you look at they look.
Speaker 2: Like no, no, these standing next to each otherl you know, puff and weed and you know and yeah, and you.
Speaker 1: Just said Big Bung Tupac that you just said that, So you didn't even invite Poky Big and Big Bung Tupac.
Speaker 6: Yeah exactly, that's crazy.
Speaker 1: And you and you you saw the the chemistry you saw that they.
Speaker 2: Were they was cool they were. They're like like they looked like you know, like I saw them, like, you know, probably doing a whole bunch of songs together and all types of ship. The way they looked at night. Yeah, I saw an amazing chemistry.
Speaker 1: So what did you think when when when when this beef did transfer?
Speaker 3: Did you liken this guy, this can't.
Speaker 2: Be I mean it really hurt, man, because you know it's like I I saw the ll coumo d beef and then they would be in front of each other, shaking hands, laughing. Yeah, you know, say some sarcastic shit back and forth to one another, but it was all.
Speaker 3: Love, almost like a sport.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I've seen, you know, with Shannon care Rests in the same room, and you know it wasn't you know, no drama, you know what I'm saying. And then like to understand that like you know, cold crush, fantastic five, like these dudes battling for a thousand dollars, you know what I'm saying, and the thousand dollars go to the winner the other motherfuckers broke and then a thousand dollars how you split that against six members? You know, and it's like you know, like that's what hip hop is to me, that right there where you know, six dudes can battle another six dudes to spit, I mean to split one thousand dollars right and then go home satisfied. And look at that at wob Loss, it's like we need to write some new ship and that's the end of it. You know, to see that this can escalate into something like that, you know, it was just sad to see. Man, it was sad to see.
Speaker 1: How was it traveling to l A at that time for for you? Like you know, I mean I remember somewhere around that period we had no choice, like when we flaned into la like the record labels had security around us, like we had no choice. How was it for you after that time period?
Speaker 2: No problems? I mean, you know that ship. Nobody was looking at me like that like I never had no issue. I mean, I think that was more or less a bad boy death crew against crew. You know.
Speaker 6: Now there was summer y'all that.
Speaker 2: You know, it shipped me a trinkle down on because it's like, okay, you you know, I think there was some ship with NAS and you know, you know, with your affiliation with nods.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know, what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: You know, so it could, you know, but with me, it was like I wasn't affiliated with none of that ship.
Speaker 1: Didn't Eric be try to sign you to death Row East at one point?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Okay, how did that? What happened with that?
Speaker 6: He called.
Speaker 2: And said, Yo, still trying to you know, build a death Row East man, and you know, I think it might be a good look for you. And you know, he ready to cut a check. Yeah, you're willing to meet with him? I'm like yeah. So I went out there. You know, we had a meeting and then he was like, Yo, we're going to Vegas tomorrow. You on the roll yet? So I went to Vegas with them for a tyson fight and then you know we out there. No, not the one that Pop got, This was the one right before it. No, no, no, no, no, no, this one before before that one. But we went and then you know, Sugar was talking about working with death Row artists. I'm like yeah, And then part came over and he was like, you know, like, yo, I love the work we cane and he was like, well, Ship, let's stop talking about it. Let's make it happen. So we leave Vegas and we just got there. We leave Vegas and go back to take a flight back to l A that night and go to Death Row to the studios to do the deal. No to to record to record. Okay, So me and Park went in the studio and did a song together. And then the them, the little dudes, Yeah.
Speaker 6: They came as soon as we got it.
Speaker 2: They came up the park talking about you old Lauren, He'll dish you mob deep dishoe that, this and that, and so then Park went in the studio and started writing some ship about I think it might have been that.
Speaker 6: I think it was. Yeah, he started he started writing that ship.
Speaker 2: While he was in there writing that ship, I I wrote a song for Hammer. Hamm was on death for I wrote a song for Hammer. And then then they was like yo, Sugar, Sugar, ready to meet with you. And we sat and we had a meeting, and like when I walked in, these two big ass rock willers came around.
Speaker 4: The dogs there they come running around, sniffing around me and stuff, you know, and then Sugar, you know, he comes out the back, sits down with a cigar, sits a cigar down and does this, and both the dogs ran and sat down next to him.
Speaker 6: So I'm like, okay, this one of the meetings.
Speaker 5: You know, I don't I never my picture.
Speaker 6: And then we talked and.
Speaker 2: Uh he said, well what you want and you know, keep in mind, you know this is back then, you know. So I'm like and I'm not. I'm not sure where his head is at and how relevant he see me? So the play is safe. I'm like, well, listen, man, why don't we just do a one album deal with a one year option, right and you know, say like a four hundred thousand advents. He's like, that's an odd number, while you just simply say five hundred thousand, Like, well the five hundred thousand of this, and man, you big daddy came, Man, I can't see myself, you know, signing you for less than a million. I got to give you a million.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 6: He because you're already a household name.
Speaker 2: That's why.
Speaker 6: And then he said something that was so appealing.
Speaker 2: He said, because you see Pop, you know, Pop became a household name. Snoop became a household name. And that's what I be trying to tell the Dog Pound. They got to, you know, make themselves a house household name, but they didn't want to identify, you know, as individuals. They just want to keep scro dog pound and that's why the motherfucker's only sold two million, and I'm like, two million is low number. I'm like, my man, you know that was appealing to me. He said that, but then he was like, well, yo, look, I don't know how you doing financially, but you know, if you want, you know, I can, you know, you know probably, you know, you know, just just get your hundred k in the morning. That's when I knew was tign to go. I was like, you're just gonna give me a hundred thousand.
Speaker 3: Nah, I don't know contract I owe.
Speaker 2: Someone a hundred thousand with no agreement. I was like, I'll let you know tomorrow. And then I went and switched my flight to like a six a m joint, got the fuck up out of La hit Eric and was like, you know, yeah, nah, I'm good man. I'm gonna chill man. But it wasn't that like physical respect, no showed mad love. It was just that didel Yeah. It's like, that's not I don't you know what I'm saying. It's like, you're to me, that's like the start of debt. And it just wasn't a good I didn't feel it.
Speaker 1: It's almost like the guy checking into jail and the fires a box of new Ports on his on his bed. I'm like, where the fuck did this come from? Like you know that like this ain't free. There's something to be paid back. Taking that exactly exactly.
Speaker 3: I understand you. Yeah, so what was the beef for you? A?
Speaker 1: Shan?
Speaker 2: The beef?
Speaker 6: Honestly, I don't know what it was.
Speaker 2: I guess when I got down, you know, well, I mean a quote according to Shan, it was like he said that that's what that's what they thing was like, you know, you're the new member.
Speaker 6: You gotta pay dues, Yeah, you gotta pay dues.
Speaker 2: Wow. But you know it's like when I got down with Biz, it wasn't that type of thing, you know what I'm saying. It wasn't like you know, like you know, saying like ship or asking me to carry his bags and ship like that. You know. So when I got down and like you know, Shan kept referring to me as the you know, I just felt like, okay, dude got something against me. And you know, you know, I try to, you know, just just keep my distance. But I remember one time, and I think it was in Virginia. Showed Fat Boys and Salt and Pepper, and you know, he was doing a little he was getting real extra with it, and you know, I said something to Biz about it, and you know, Biz told me to chill what I'm doing. So I just, you know, I just try to keep my distance. You know. It's like all right, you know, And I was like, all, let me just stay away from dude, you know, you know, And that's the way I just tried to handle it. But then we eventually got cool, you know, like it was me and him. We was living on the same block and g Rapp was living in the condo right behind Highborhood.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we ended up getting cool. And I'm in his condo, he and my condo. You know that type of thing, you know. Yeah, like you know, yeah, I mean I love sham Man. I love Shaping. It's like, you know, once I got to know him, I know that, Okay, Yeah, he.
Speaker 3: Just the personality.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he just like to argue and you know, you know that's his thing, you know. Yeah, and you know, yeah, I love sham So.
Speaker 1: Is the symphony the greatest hip hop posse cut.
Speaker 3: Of all time.
Speaker 6: I think so, I think so.
Speaker 2: I mean, uh, the only reason I say that is because.
Speaker 6: When I think of like my favorites, what is your favorite?
Speaker 1: Like head banger, Okay, so that's the Vegas head banger.
Speaker 2: With depth guard though, right banger saying what's the jay Z joint? You mean him and her? Is that name of it? You meant him and her? Yeah, Like, when I think about it, it's like the reason why we'll go with the symphony is because I think that everybody on there spit fire.
Speaker 3: Yes, I believe.
Speaker 2: So, you know, I think there's a lot of great posse joint. What's what's the nods joint?
Speaker 4: Live the barbecue, But that's more of an extra P joint.
Speaker 1: That's but that's a puzzy cuts. But you said the nas joint. I want to give it.
Speaker 2: I mean, I mean, I mean, oh yeah, no no.
Speaker 5: But he's saying, like, it's how a lot of people discovered that you're absolutely right, is a good cut? Yeah, yes, yeah, there's.
Speaker 2: A lot of them. But it's like, man.
Speaker 3: From scenario scenario, I think scenario.
Speaker 1: Scenarios number two. I think scenario's number one, Scenarios number two.
Speaker 2: See I see with me It's like I would probably go symphony headbangers, and then you meet him and her.
Speaker 3: I forget what that one is.
Speaker 2: That's jay Z, bleak beans and what was the girl name?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 3: I yeah, yeah, I don't know. I wouldn't put that up there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't got that up there. I got reservrat dogs with jay Z and locks and beans in them. I got that up there. More reservoir dogs.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 3: You me, I got Shatcha.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I would even I know, I know this is not it wouldn't be considered a positive because they're a group, but they are individuals.
Speaker 3: It's protecting neck. No, I can't put that as a post come looking back at it now as their individuals as hell.
Speaker 1: You know, I didn't realize how out of line I was by rhyming on the symphony until I've seen Tyler Qually the other day. He did it, and I wanted to call him and say, don't you.
Speaker 3: Ever do that again?
Speaker 2: No, No, I think that Tyler lib versus Dopey.
Speaker 1: None of us can. None of us can recreate that moment. Got that record alone, all of us lead a symphony alone.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, But I think I Honestly, I thought that it was just great to just see that type of vibe, you know, because I mean it's like, you know, you got to think from a musician standpoint, right, you know, it's like there's a lot of stuff that you look at his classics, but like tell the truth, man, you like say say say Michael Jackson, Paul McCartney. You wouldn't have been mad at print doing Paul McCartney focus with you at all. You know what I'm saying. It's like, you know, it's it's like, you know, sometimes it's just something it's just a little a little different. You know, it's the original and that's a variation of it, you know.
Speaker 6: But yeah, it's it's good to just you know, think.
Speaker 2: Out the box and try something different sometimes. Man.
Speaker 3: So you my bad fad changing up.
Speaker 1: But you recently just performed the queens Bridge Yeah, and you how was that?
Speaker 2: I mean it was it was like I had g Wrap come into Lincoln Center. That was dope, And he's told me that he had a show in Queen's Bridge.
Speaker 3: He brong you out. I thought you brung him out.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, it was wrapped folks show. And he told me he had to join Queen's Bridge, and I was like when I'm like, well, I'm here in New York. I mean, I'm like, you need me, and he was like hell yeah, I'm like all right, cool. And I was like, we'll shoot me your email and I'll I'll send you an instrumental of the symphony because he said he said he only had a version, you know, Josh edited version just for his verse. Oh, so I was like, I'll send you a version, you know, for both of us, okay, And then he was like you know, and I was like, I was like, you need me to do something else. He was like yeah yeah. I was like all right, well, I'll send you the symphony joint and I sent woman up and then you know, I came, you know, rock with him.
Speaker 1: God damn, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I think the tragedy. And he said that he came to.
Speaker 1: See you, I believe, and when you was in Queensborgs or something like that, or he came to see you perform. But so they didn't announce your name, no, no, oh, well he was a surprise.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I was a surprised guest because this was g rap show, you know, I mean, it's like, you know, she rapped that man that that may be my favorite MC man. I mean, he's someone that I've always loved and he's always been so inspirational to me. Man. I mean, I can remember numerous nights, you know, back in the eighties, like you know, I called his brother up on the phone late at night and right and I'm like, you know, like, yo, check this out. I got this joint the best, So yes, I guess, yes, the best. Your fast. You know.
Speaker 6: He's like, oh, that's fired.
Speaker 2: Then two nights later, Gi called me back and he's like, yo, I got just from the joint, checked this out, the creature feature capture rough to teach. He like it was like, you know, he was like that dude that always kept me on my toes man, I mean, and just a hell of an m C. And I mean, and the crazy thing is like we got down with the Juice Crew, damn near at the same time. Like he got down like maybe like six months before me or some shit like that, right, you know, because Polo had this dude Frost and he got locked up, and then Polo you know, brought on g in and then Biz brought me in. But this all happened in eighty six.
Speaker 1: Wow. You know, so let me ask you if Master, if you have a show with Master Ace, Craig g g rap and you all on the same show, who performed symphony? Do y'all do it together or do y'all do it separate?
Speaker 2: Or no? We would definitely do it together, okay on the show and whoever's I mean, I guess whoever's going last? I would think it would make bad sense. Okay, who was going to last? Okay?
Speaker 1: Yeah, be selfish? Is somebody to come out and just do that first?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 6: I mean I don't think that we would do that.
Speaker 2: I think that you know, we would, you know, get together collectively, you know, figure out Okay, yeah, how we're gonna work the symphony in right?
Speaker 3: Definitely? Let me ask you.
Speaker 1: Right, everyone has love for mister See everyone knows and you know, from from.
Speaker 3: You the biggie to all of this.
Speaker 1: And then it was at one point it was like this controversy that he was going through. What did you think of that when you heard, you know, like like he was living an alternative lifestyle.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's that's that's that's his life. I mean, you know, it's a brother I've known since high school. You know, I've known this brother since high school and he helped me down through thinking things. That's beautiful, you know. So I've always loved and respected mister C. And whatever he going through, I personally feel like I'm going through it too. So I mean, anything I can do to help or be in his corner, I'm willing to do. You know. I love mister C like a brother, you know.
Speaker 1: So what's what's left for Caina doing this game? Man?
Speaker 2: I think, you know, honestly, I wanted I want to, you know, do some more movies, and I really I really want to, you know, connect with with some young artists.
Speaker 6: I would really like to like that. I like that with some young artists, you know.
Speaker 2: You know. Yeah, yeah, I mean I just certain artists I just see and I'm like, I see something special. Like Lady London. I think she's special. I think Lola Brook is special, a special. You know, certain artists I just feel like they just special. You know. Even even Conway the Machine, there's something special about him. But I don't know if he's really channeling into it. I think I see it, but I see something very Yeah. We did a song. I did a song for for Buster oh.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's like three generations I saw and everything R.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah hip hop man like coming off fifty years. I know we spoke about it earlier. I know we spoke about, you know, the cliches of it being this far. But now with this AI thing, you you are you are you are you? With AI.
Speaker 6: Another no, no, I am not. And he's the.
Speaker 2: Really shit about that AI comes into effect. Right.
Speaker 6: I don't think it's going to affect me. I'm a performer.
Speaker 2: I have a set fan base where I haven't had a hit record in like thirty years. Right, It's not going to affect me Big Daddy Kane fans that want to see me, hear me. I think that what's gearing up for the future is that because right now with the younger generation, it ain't like how I said, you know, if we got a ten thousand, see the seven thousand of them got their phones out. With the younger generation, they're in a ten thousd I see the ten thousands of them got their phones out, so they already watching the ship or filming the show instead of really focusing on it. It's a phone thing, right, We got AI and we have holograms. Right, we got a bunch of young artists there's not really really performing on stage, right, So what's going to happen is there's going to be digital artists. They're going to create holograms of of uh this perfect looking artist.
Speaker 1: Oh you didn't see they had one. They had like an artist and no, no, no, no, no, Drake, shut the fuck up. No, no, I'm talking about There was a real artist that was an AI artist. He was signed the Universal and then he said nigga and then he dropped them. Y'all know what I'm talking about. Yeah, he said like he was he was.
Speaker 2: That's what's getting ready to happen where you you what's going to happen is they're going to create holograms.
Speaker 6: And with the AI thing, it'd be like, you know what, would.
Speaker 2: This artiste give them some blonde dreads, make a bunch of tattoos, muscle bound and you know what makes his voice sound like Michael Jackson, No, I ain't hurt Michael Jackson, spitting bars make his voice sound like Michael Jackson. And concerts will be downloaded to your phone right where you don't even have to go because you ain't fucking looking anyway, This younger generation ain't looking anyway.
Speaker 6: They just got their phone up the whole show.
Speaker 2: So wouldn't it make more sense for them to just be able to buy the concert and just right there because the.
Speaker 1: Streaming selling selling tickets today. Concert where you don't even get to see them, What do you mean you don't get to see them? You don't get you know, it's all your owing audio only. That's some crazy shit.
Speaker 3: It's hard. It just makes some noise for them discovering the trick.
Speaker 1: Think about that, they're going there to hear it. Okay, you lost me then yeah, they go to the car sirt, but they don't get to see her.
Speaker 3: That's what I'm saying. They don't get to see them, and.
Speaker 1: But they get to hear it's it's audio tickets, yeah, said.
Speaker 5: Wild because the concert to me is everything is visual.
Speaker 1: Yeah that turns me off. Like when I go on stage. Seldomly go on stage, but I go on stage and everyone's just like this, I'm looking like motherfucker, I'm right here.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's the point to see your favorite artists on stage live like moment.
Speaker 2: All right, But I mean with this younger generation need to understand that it's going to affect them down the line. And I don't mean far down the line. No, it's all happening. It's happening very fast. And I would hate to see that happen to the younger generation where they're replaced by digital images and digital voices. I want to see them when be successful, you know, make money, be able to feed their family, you know, and you know, have you know, successful careers.
Speaker 3: That was part of the sack strike right now, that big sag strike.
Speaker 4: It's about all of that. Yeah, that's part of it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the digital, the facial stuff, and they just want you to be a voice actor and then they're gonna take your whole image and.
Speaker 3: You different things, different ways that they'll apply it.
Speaker 1: And you ran into something too, like the sign language interpreter.
Speaker 3: You remember what fake one.
Speaker 2: No no, no, no, no.
Speaker 6: He was a real interpreter.
Speaker 2: What happened was, uh, like I've seen like people that do sign and you know, they're standing there, you know, doing what they do. So when I came on stage, I'm performing, and then I looked to the side of the stage and I stupid like this, you know, and he's like, I didn't know that he was an interpreting. Oh yeah, I thought that he was somebody came out on that crowd just making gestures.
Speaker 6: I don't speak sign. I mean, I don't really, I don't, you know.
Speaker 2: So when I saw him, because of his energy, because he's jumping, so I'm thinking that he's just someone just came out there just having any moment, Like I'm big that he can't hype man. So I pushed him to the side and then I went and started performing. Now look, he was back out there again, and I pushed his ass to the side again, and then I went. And then when when we finished the song, my DJ was like, yo, yo, he you know, he told me who he was. And then I walked up the dude and I was like, yo, I'm sorry, man, I didn't know.
Speaker 6: Poly you know.
Speaker 2: I apologized, and then and then I held his hand up and told the crowds, you know, like listen, you know, I'm glad he here. I say. I said something like because even if you can't hear me, I want you to enjoy the show. So thank you brother, you know, and and left it like that. And then he finished finished what he was doing. But I didn't know.
Speaker 1: I didn't know that was that was like a first like controversy on the internet, like like you know, like I mean probably yeah, you know what I'm saying, Like like in this new version of.
Speaker 6: Me, you know, everybody wanted to cancel you, you know for something.
Speaker 2: It's like it's like everybody looking for some ship to be bitter about.
Speaker 1: You know, was that something abnormal to you or you you adapted to it because you know, back back in the days, the room was about you, but you it.
Speaker 3: Wouldn't come to you.
Speaker 1: You didn't have especially you didn't have an Instagram, Like, so was that something like that was that was different for you?
Speaker 2: When when when you I mean, I ain't really give a ship, man, I mean, because it was like it was the type of thing where you know, I know, I didn't do nothing wrong, and once I understood who he was, I apologized to him, and.
Speaker 1: You did on your Instagram as well.
Speaker 6: Yeah, man, I mean it was like you know, people.
Speaker 2: Even had they well you you didn't uh apologize to the death community.
Speaker 6: I ain't doing it to the death community.
Speaker 2: I pushed him the guy, and I apologize them. That's who I would the apology to, you know, plain and simple, you know, and I mean you know, because it's like I didn't understan, I didn't know what was going on, but.
Speaker 6: Once I found out what was going on, corrected to me quickly.
Speaker 2: You know, because yeah, because of Yes, if you can't hear the show and he's there to help you understand, yes, I need him, like I would love for someone like him to be at every goddamn show, you know. I see the importance and I respect that. You know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you think people are too sensitive nowadays?
Speaker 2: Well yeah, well yeah, like we so sensitive that you can be on someone's side, agree with what they're saying, but just if you word it in a way that don't sound like they'll get mad at you all the time. That's why it's for me, it's it's just so much easier to just ship what we call the fuck up. I'll just be quiet and go ahead, go ahead?
Speaker 1: Was you know? Because we're pushing this documentary. What made you want to come together and push this documentary?
Speaker 2: The documentary is called Paragraphs I manifest Para, and what it's about is the lyricism in hip hop and the importance of it, Uh, songwriting.
Speaker 6: What made you write this song? What was the inspiration?
Speaker 2: Things of that nature, Because the documentary is really for the younger generation. I want the younger generation to understand the importance of lyricists. We can't lose that, you know, because yes, because it is a law thing in it. And I want them to really understand that. And hopefully, you know, by hearing from the pioneers, hearing from some of the younger generation, even hearing from some of the battle rappers, I'm thinking, I'm hoping that it would be something that can trigger something in the younger generation be like, you know, nah, I want to, you know, have some bars. I want to, you know, because I want, like I said, I want to I want to see these young cats win. I want to see them succeed. I want to see them keep hip hop, you know going. You know, I'm I'm I'm fifty four years old, my dude. You know, I'm not gonna be here forever. You know. You know, Rock I'm not gonna be here forever. G rap not gonna be here forever. You know, Nas, you know, jay Z, They're not you know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And what hip hop does best is reflect and report what's going on. And how can it do that if it has no lyrics? Right, if you can't articulate it. Yeah, yeah, you're right, you're right, you're right.
Speaker 2: You know. It's like, you know, there's so many dimensions of hip hop and there's so many different things, like some people just want to party.
Speaker 4: Right, right, which is a part of it. It's a balance. Yeah, But I mean, I just think that when you are lyrical, it can help with your longevity. I just believe that because there's so many artists that drop party songs and then a year, lady, they're forgotten because a new party song came out, because it's like all of that was just part of a trend. But there's lyricists that said something that's stuck to your soul, and these artists had longevity because it's something that you said that they probably repeat daily yearly, right.
Speaker 5: And and the idea of a lot of us learned vocabulary off of lyricists, off of MC's I was never good in book studying, but lyrical artists made me want to I don't know that word, what does that word mean?
Speaker 3: I want to understand this rhyme.
Speaker 2: That's how I graduated high school. We'll talk. That's how I graduated high school looking up no no no. I was failing in Social studies. And I was in great Math, great and science, great English, my guidance counselor. He was pointing, and I had and this is now, this is me, my guidance counselor. My mother. We're talking, and I said, why do we need eight credits in social studies? We need seven in English, foreign maths, foreign science, but we need eight and social studies why, I said, I'll tell you why. Because social studies is that part in school that teaches us all the great stuff that white people did for us. That's what you learn in American History, That's what you learn in Global studies. And that's why it's important for us to have all these courses. But after I've learned American history and global studies, how does that help me in the future?
Speaker 6: What job does that lay out for me?
Speaker 2: What I'm learning in math can lay out a job for me, What I'm learning in English can lay out a job for me. What I'm learning in science can lay out a job for me. What the hell am I learning in social studies? That's going to lay out a job for me? Not a goddamn thing unless I want to be a teacher. You know, my mother did this that was her, I want to slap the shit out you, but you know, we in front of people's so I'm not going to you know, And my guidance counselor he said, I understand. And he looked out for me because you know, I don't know. You know, back then, you know, you get a credit for government or law, not both. You had to cover credit for Black history or Puerto Rican studies, not both. I got credits for both because he was looking out for me, because he felt that I was a good student. Pusce I said, ry, I'm on the loud speaker in the morning, official period or shit like that, you know. So he was looking out for me, you know. But still I didn't have enough credits to make that eight. So yeah, I was close to failer. And then Mellie mel says on Beach Street Breakdown, deca outreach, Hiroshima, Vietnam, Lennogram Ewujima, now Korea, the Philippines, devastating depths by the killing machines. And I was like, I'd never be a dope m c if I don't know what the funk he talking about. And I damn sure don't know right now. And I went back to my guidance counsel. There I take American ship that I pose. I took it, not because I wanted to learn American history, not because I wanted to learn global studies. But I felt like if I learned this ship, I build a rhyme like Melloy mel Yeah, what's on?
Speaker 9: What's on?
Speaker 1: Daddy kinge Ryder? Like if for a promoter of books?
Speaker 2: You what? What?
Speaker 1: What is that?
Speaker 2: You?
Speaker 3: The essentials that that that that you need to do this show.
Speaker 2: Or the Judy Show, like the Rider. I didn't know the Judy Show. I need a microphone. But after the show, yeah, you know, you know, you know some sweet you know, some nice grapes, you know, and.
Speaker 3: Who do you prefer? Camus opus one?
Speaker 6: You're gonna do this again?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I like that we did this, you know, you know me and you nah. Well, I mean, like I explained to you before, I mean with Camus, you know, it's the Yeah, if you can still find a twenty nineteen Camus amazing, the twenty twenty, you know, but the twenty nineteen amazing.
Speaker 6: But right now I'm pretty much on CAD.
Speaker 2: That's all Howell Mountain, like c A d K. It's a Howell Mountain. It's like a younger version of plumb Jack.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so if you don't want to spend all.
Speaker 2: That money in a plumb jack, like yeah, the cad Cad I think it's like maybe like about about one hundred and twenty dollars a bottle by n But that's that's a that's a good cab, an amazing cab.
Speaker 6: Or like a nice barolo. What barolo?
Speaker 2: Italian? No Italian? No, no, no, we had one. Well he's at the joint, the last one. The next bottle whel.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, okay, okay, because I got something that you put me on your ship?
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah you got Do you get the caymans on?
Speaker 3: I got the Cayman I believe at the bottom of that boy.
Speaker 2: That boy you bought everything but the bottle order. The bottle order.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, that was a barolo.
Speaker 6: Okay, yeah, but yeah, it's Italian grape.
Speaker 2: But it's it's a nice medium bodied okay, red, but I mean it's it's it's it's real smooth. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So so if promoters they got to book you, it's always it's always a red.
Speaker 3: What else is on your rider?
Speaker 2: That's like a little crazy, like no no, no, no, I I don't got no white m and ms and no crazy ship like.
Speaker 1: No green and m and ms. Okay, you got to stop that HNT.
Speaker 3: Listen and yellow and yellow skittles, So.
Speaker 1: You got you got nothing like uh like just just just just the red skin off the apple. You don't got nothing like that.
Speaker 2: No one ain't nothing crazy on the ride, right.
Speaker 7: Gone, body ain't got nothing to writer, He ain't got jolly. Has Kane ever had a stylist?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, for a.
Speaker 6: Brief moment, a brief moment.
Speaker 2: It's like, you know, I'm wanting them dudes to like going out the box. And you know sometimes you know stylists, you know, they might want to tone you down. But it's like it's there's certain controversies I like, I enjoy. So it's like if I wear something that's a little over the edge, there's a reason. There's a method to my madness. It's like, I got this on. It looked a little crazy, but it's like, wash your mouth. It looks a little crazy. But the reason I'm wearing this is so that the guys will clown it and the women will me you get it.
Speaker 6: So it's a method to the madness, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: And it's like the women defending me, they see it, they like hmm. But it's not until the guy clowns me that they go public. Oh no, you didn't. You ain't gonna look their goodness here, you don't know. See that's when that's when they go public and they go rentid you know what I'm saying, you know, like like like like Beyonce's beehive saying that type of thing. But it's like, you know, you got to get them there, you know what I'm saying. So it's stuff that I do on purpose, intentionally, you.
Speaker 1: Know him a Donna book? Was that a stylist who gave the speedos?
Speaker 6: I can't stand you.
Speaker 3: He wants.
Speaker 2: No. I've been sitting there patiently waiting for normal bullshit.
Speaker 6: I'm like, God, damn, we've been here for a long time.
Speaker 2: None of his bullshit, you know, I've been waiting.
Speaker 1: Oh my, I'm gonna be honest, man, i'ma be honest and let me let me say this for you know, all the young ins. And I know I've been fatiguing to young people, you know, all night, but I want to say something. You know, I'm honored to call you my o G. I'm honored to you know, following your footsteps. I'm honored to honor you. I'm honored to show you how much you mean to the rap game, Show you how much you mean to us, show you how much you mean to the culture. This is a blessing, man, to tell you to your face. You know what I'm saying to face man, the man out of eye? Man, what you mean?
Speaker 2: You know what I mean?
Speaker 1: And it means everything to us. Man, we all in the group chat. Everyone here, we're all and if you can see how we were all excited, like like we all were all in a group chat. I'm like, I'm seriously looking at my barber, like you think I can get away with it? Like you know what I'm saying, Like right now, you think I can get away with it, I said myself. But see I know myself. I gonna go back like that. I'm gonna have Cornell West on my ears.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna have motherfucker buck Weed did all that on my joint, so already hurt my lesson. But I just want you to know, man, you are really an icon. You are really a legend. Something that Buster Rohm said, you know what I mean when he won his BET Awards. He said, our icons, our legends, gotta look the part. And let me just tell you something. You always looked apart. I've never seen you for I've always seen you smooth. I've never seen you hate on nobody. I never seen you talk bad about nobody. I always see you with the greatest, most phenomenal energy, and I just want to give it back to you.
Speaker 3: Always, just the case the case.
Speaker 1: If you don't know, I'll just sitting there follow you on Instagram. I'm like, yo, you know, the show has got bigger. And I said, man, I gotta get his brother his flowers the proper way, not to say, read and give you your flowers before the proper way. But the show has gotten grew so much bigger, so I read, We're gonna do it again. We're gonna do it again. This is your platform. If you want to promote pink toenails anytime. If you want to promote fucking coffee.
Speaker 3: Cups, what is this ship? What is this coasters? If you want to we don't give a fuck. This is your platform.
Speaker 1: You can come on here anytime you want motherfucker is everyone, put your hands together, stand up if you can't for motherfucker big day.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much, my brother.
Speaker 5: Drink Champs is a drink Champs LLC production in association with Interval Presents. Hosts and executive producers n O r E and dj e f N from Interval Presents executive producers Alan Coy and Jake Kleinberg. Listen to Drink Champs on Apple Podcast, Amazon Music, Spotify, or wherever you get your podcasts. Thanks for joining us for another episode of drink Champs, hosted by Yours Truly, dj e f N and n O r E. Please make sure to follow us on all our socials That's at drink Champs across all platforms, at the Real noriagon ig at Noriega on Twitter, mine is at Who's Crazy on ig at dj e f N on Twitter, and most importantly, stay up to date with the latest releases, news and merch by going to drink Champs dot com