Speaker 1: Welcome into Northside Territory File Territory Networks Cubs Podcast. I'm Sahadev Sharma with my partner Patrick Mooney. We are your Cubs beat writers over at the Athletic Patrick, we are going to talk about three names that need to step up post All Star breaker. I mean, some of them have already started to perform really well. We've seen flashes of what they can be and how important they are to this team. But the first name we're going to get to. We've talked a lot about pitching in recent episodes. We know how important it is to get any sort of even average performance right now out of a reliever or starter. They just need decent innings to get through games because you know, outside of you know, facing Hunter Green when he's locked in. This offense has looked pretty strong of late. We know what they're capable of, and that's a strength of the team. And we saw Matthew Boyd look like his best self in his last start. The Cubs need that so much more often. They need to see that, Like essentially, what they need in this second half is what he was in the first half last year, or I should say more than the first half. It was much of the season. Uh, but it seemed like we saw it. He was he felt, looked like himself, looked like the best version of Matthew Boyd. And just you know, getting six plus innings right now feels like such a big deal for a starter. And he did that and racked up some quality strikeouts, limited the walks. Just looked like a really good Matthew Boyd. Yeah it was.
Speaker 2: He gets the weather permitting. We'll see how we're recording on Saturday. I'm in Cincinnati. But he schedules to get that last start before the All Star break, and after his last outing in Baltimore, he you know, tried to find the you know, silver lining in this of you know, maybe maybe he saved some some bullets for for later. You know that his arms should be relatively fresh down the stretch here, we'll see. I mean, Craig Council, you know, rarely likes putting it on one player. He always talks about the group. He doesn't like separating out. Oh do you need like the bullpen to be better or the rotation to be better, or is the offensive concerned. It's like, you know, one of the other won't be good enough. But He's Boyd is one of those sort of exceptions where it's like, yeah, he's supposed to be a huge stabilizing force for this group. We saw it at at Camden Yards of just having all this pitch is working, having great you know, touch and feel.
Speaker 3: With all of his offerings.
Speaker 2: You know, his point was, you know, you when you're healthy, you have to sorry if you're healthy. That's one thing, but it's also getting reacclimated at game speed and having you know, all of that at your disposal, and that was a big step in the right direction for him. And it's it's crazy. I mean, this is a guy who started their first playoff game last year, he started Opening Day, went to the All Star Game, selected for Team USA and the WBC like, this is a major talent when when things are right, and he just hasn't given them a whole lot this year, and you know it's clearly due uh, you know to injuries and that you know, if he's able in the second or after the All Star break too, be that guy. You know, that really kind of changes the calculus. It doesn't mean they Cubs just sit out the trade deadline, but if you have a guy that you feel comfortable starting a playoff game.
Speaker 3: That's huge.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I'm looking at his game log here, and it's been a lot of start and stop for him. Obviously this year. It was a really good start his second start. The first start, the peripherals were good. He gave up far too many runs, six innings in three and two thirds, and then he went out and struck out ten in five and two thirds. And that's when I believe what was a tricep for him? Bicep There spent so many injuries, spent so many injuries, I can't keep track of them all. And basically they just they were being extra cautious right and shut him down for a little bit. He came back in three weeks and then that freak injury happened. He's outside of that second start. He just hasn't had a start where you're like, yep, that looked really good until the Baltimore start, and it kind of went just as you know, I think you were asking or the group was asking counsel about him, and and council said what he needed or what what what he was hoping would happen, I think is how he was putting it out there and it went and happened. Uh, it was kind of like that progression that you just said it was. It was. It did look great in those first two starts after the knee injury. He was fine. They needed innings. Obviously. The state of this team is they'll take any type of you know, qut decent pitching right now. And that's what it was, and now it looks a lot better and build off that, do that that that's what the Cubs need, uh, Sunday, and then for the following two months, two plus months, two and a half months after that, and in October, they need him to be you know, the twenty twenty five version of Matthew Boyd. We we know he wants that. We know he kind of he's a he's a really out talked about this. He's extremely friendly, kind person, seems like a really good guy. But when he's on the mound and like even in post game, like when you ask him, like, he has high expectations for himself and he also and he's never surprised when he's great, Yeah, because that is what he believes he is supposed to do. So he he puts the he has the same expectations that we're putting out there right now. So now he's got to go out there and deliver. Let's take a quick break, come back and talk about a bat I think everyone knows, but we're going to talk more about this bat that has to step up in the second half cap.
Speaker 4: I've been looking for the best deals for the All Star Game tickets in Philly. Where are you going to get some tickets from?
Speaker 5: I'm going straight out to Rife Field. If Harper and Schwarber both joined the home run derby, I want to be catching the hometown guys hitting them, So I'm going out to the Rife Field kind of where I think I can get the best chance to catch on one of those home.
Speaker 4: Runs, maybe in the second deck. You can go on the app and you can look to see what your view is going to because the boys are going to be launching them John's and with over thirty five million downloads, see geek is the number one rated ticketing app. There are more than seventy thousand events listed at seekik, including concerts, sports, festivals, and more. And of course I have a code for y'all. You can use the code Territory ten for ten percent off your next set of MLB tickets.
Speaker 1: At Sea Geek.
Speaker 4: That's ten percent off MLB tickets with promo code Territory ten. Make sure you click the link in the description to download the app and have the code automatically added to your account so you could use it later. Thank you to Sea Geek, and we'll see you at the game.
Speaker 1: We have been waiting three months now for Alex Brigman to get hot. There was a stretch there very recently where he was looking really good. I think the first game in bult More, Uh kind of capped off a nice stretch and and he he talked a little bit about that and and how the breaks, the break's not coming in an ideal time. He's the last whatever three games. We're like you said, we're recording on a on a on Saturday before Saturday's game. Uh. He is in a three game hitless stretch. Uh. And and it didn't look great against Hunter Green. Nobody looked great against Hunter Green. Uh last night, Uh, Friday night. But what what was Where's where's Bregman's head at? What? What was he talking about? And how does he kind of view his second half?
Speaker 2: Bely as Tuesday night in Baltimore, and he had a nice game and you know, there are a bunch of questions.
Speaker 3: And you know sometimes.
Speaker 2: Bregmans, you know, a good talker and he sees the whole game, so you can ask him about all sorts of different things. But I, you know, it's the time of the year where it's like, what about your performance? You know, and I just said, is it you know, it seems like you're kind of picking it up, getting a little bit of rhythm. You know, it's All Star break coming. Had a bad time here and he sort of laughed and said he, you know, spoke with Pete Alonzo at first base and the way Bregman recalled it was Alonzo says something.
Speaker 3: Like you're feeling better. He's like yeah, and.
Speaker 2: So goes and you get the All Star break in five days and was like, oh perfect.
Speaker 3: And so on.
Speaker 2: You can look at these things a lot of different ways. If you're kind of grinding through it, does it make sense to take a break and step back for four days? Or if you're going off feel if you feel like you're making progress, do you not want to interrupt that for.
Speaker 3: An All Star break?
Speaker 2: And so CUB sitting coach Dustin Kelly said, basically they had looked at these last two weeks before the All Star breaks, so leaving Milwaukee, have a home stand at Wrigley, and you know, this trip to Baltimore and Cincinnati and really kind of viewing that as hoping that's a building block of really kind of honing in on a couple of things. And you know, to be honest, like Bregman is so obsessed with this that it's hard to kind of like like if this guy's constantly sending you know, coaches videos anyway, and you know if every swing he ever takes is recorded in the in the cage, out on the field and VP. Obviously during games there's all this tracking technology as well, like well, what's the.
Speaker 3: You know, like now it's really the focus, but just it just you know, this is such a.
Speaker 2: You know, weird sport to try and figure out and that you know, he did have his thumbs down home run during that homestand he's been getting on base, collecting hits during this stretch. His game Wednesday in Baltimore, i mean, first at bat, you know, the left fielder makes this crash crashing catch at the wall. His last at bat, it's just a bullet right at the third baseman. You know, had a deep fly ball that scored a run and advanced to other runners. There are signs he hasn't been in that zero because he gets on base, because he uh he plays gold Glove caliber defense. But like he knows it, like he has not performed up to expectations, Like he wants more. You know, he knows he has to deliver more. He knows, you know, why he was signed here, and just the home run power has not come. Uh, you know, I don't really know if it will or not, but he's certainly from the moment he signed, we knew he was gonna be kind of the main characters in the story of the season. And you know, he's still got some more time to rewrite that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mentioned that it was you know, hitless in the in the last three games, and you actually look at two of those games and the quality of contact was was really nice. It was really the Hunter Green game. Like I said that, everybody struggled against him. There are signs, and if you want to believe, you absolutely should. I always I always feel like guys like Bregman, guys who have proven it, Guys who you know, when they start showing signs, it's like, Okay, this is going to work at some point. It may not be perfect. You know, I don't know if he ends with the numbers that you want him to have. It's it's kind of like what you were saying a few episodes ago. It's like, just just get you know, be great for whatever is left. And if the if the numbers aren't the numbers that you wanted at the beginning of the season, who cares? Is a team where it needs to be? Are you impacting the team down the stretch?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 1: That may be what the Cubs. That's really all the Cubs care about. Now what he's done doesn't really matter anymore. Just go out there and perform. I think the biggest concern whatever three weeks ago, when when this was really reaching, it's the dear Hopefully it's in the deer for the Cubs, and the Cubs certainly hope is has time caught up with them. You know. Is the bat just not as good as it once was? I don't think that's the case. I mean it we can talk about any so many players, but we just saw this with Dan sby Swanson and and like these things turn quickly, this has not been This has been a little bit more of a slow burn, and and it seems like it's turning, So it'd be huge if it is. Because last episode we just talked about Pete or Armstrong. We know how good this offense can be. Saya Suzuki's really in a good spot second half. It's like Bregman and and if Bush gets a power surge and starts hitting for the power we know he can hit for uh, this offense could could level up even more. It's it's a really good offense, but you need you need different guys to step up at different moments because other people are gonna slump Pete. Pete isn't going to be this hot for the rest of the season. Maybe he will be. Maybe he's just that type of guy now, I don't know, but you have to kind of assume like he he at least slows slightly h But I think there's just no doubt that he's the most important of the bats in the second half, as far as guys that we haven't really seen perform at the highest level. If he can perform at a high level, it alters just how good this team can be. We know how good their offense is, but if they can be even better. Especially with all the injuries on the pitching side, it becomes really important. Let's take a break and talk about one more pitcher that is healthy right now, has been healthy for most of the year, and is incredibly important.
Speaker 6: This episode is brought to you by fan Duel Baseball Fans. The MLB season is in full swing and fan Duel is giving you a chance to call your shot with Daily Dingers. Joining the action is easy. Just make your free pick on who's hitting a home run in their game, and if you're right, you'll get a profit boost to use on your next bet for a chance at extra winnings. It's just another reason why fan duel is the home of home runs. So are you ready to play your game? Head over to FanDuel dot com podcast to get started. That's FanDuel dot com slash podcast. To opt in for Daily Dingers and make your free pick on who's hitting a homer. Playball and swing for the fences on FanDuel, an official partner of Major League Baseball. No purchase necessary, opt in required. Bonus issued as non withdrawable profit boost tokens. Restrictions apply, including any token expiration and max wager amount. See terms at Sportsbook Dot FanDuel dot Com gambling problem call or text one eight hundred gambler.
Speaker 1: Patrick shouldau Minaga had a pretty rough stretch, and if you talk to Craig Counsel, he'll say it's only two games because that at the third game that Athletics start, just all of a sudden at the very end, he gave up some home runs and otherwise he had been looking really good. I can't remember exactly what that day was like, if it was a windblown home run night or not, but either way, I remember, like Craig Council is pretty adamant that it's only two bad starts, not three. I know the box score looks different. He was really impressed with Shoda that night, and he's been since that Athletics start. It is six starts with a two eighty one era. He looks like a great pitcher. I think I think we could go different directions with this third person. We could focus on the bullpen, but we talked about this before, and I think the reason we decided not to, and it's a good reason, is because it's not about one pitcher in the bullpen. It's going to be a group effort and it's going to be name that we probably don't know that it impacts this team, so we can't say, like Daniel Palencia, Yeah, he's going to be important, but it if he stayed, like if he never gets back to his best self, Like, there's going to be moves made. There's going to be trades that like the bullpen is just like this moving you know, ever changing unit right now with the way it's it's set up due to injuries and ineffectiveness. Showed him Anaga just like Matthew Boyd. We know what their ceilings are, we know how good they can be. Showed is important for this group. Like he's he's been pretty damn good alls he's in long The overall numbers don't really indicate that because the the the bad outings were so bad. Uh, there's an eight run game, there's a seven run game, there's a five run game, there's a six run game. It's that that really skews the numbers. He's been really good and he needs to continue it in the second half.
Speaker 2: A council said, Friday ends and snay like before and after that stretch, however you want to frame it. He's been really good and he thinks he's in a good spot. I mean to show to credit he leads the team in starts, end innings pitched, and no one's really close in either category, and you need look, yeah, it would be great if you know tomorrow the Cubs acquired no doubt number one starter.
Speaker 3: But you know, you do the Asist project.
Speaker 2: There are very few of those guys available, and you need pitchers who can help get you to October. And Shoda has been you know, if you look at those other segments of the seasons, he's been excellent.
Speaker 3: He's been not far off from his twenty twenty four version, which was.
Speaker 2: An All Star and you know, a cy Young Award caliber performance.
Speaker 3: And so.
Speaker 2: I think Showda's bad moments are you know, he just gives up so many home runs that some of the online discourse I don't quite understand. It's just like, oh, he's not he's not usable, he's unplayable. And I don't know, if you watch the totality of his work with the Cubs, it's been it's been very good. Now, obviously he's sort of spoiled everyone by how excellent it was as a rookie, and you know, you just hope they can make some faster adjustments in August and September.
Speaker 3: If he does go through another rough patch and.
Speaker 2: You know, the way last season ended and all of the contract back and forth, you know, it wasn't a great.
Speaker 3: Look.
Speaker 2: You know, it wasn't kind of the smoothest transition there, but showeda went right to work last off season. You know, he doesn't really like reflecting on that or saying like, oh, I'm I'm back, or that he's you know, proved people wrong. But you know he does take a lot of pride in what he's done. And you know, again, like is he a guy you could trust to go through a lineup twice in a playoff game?
Speaker 3: You know, maybe maybe not.
Speaker 2: Your first choice, but not unrealistic to think that he can help get you to the playoffs and then be a factor in the postseason.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. The home runs, Look, there's a there's a four game stretcher where he gave up twelve home runs. He's given up twenty two home runs on the season, and like, twelve of them, over half of them came in a four game stretch. He was not you know, he wasn't as effective as he needed to be during that stretch. I remember talking to Tommy Howneby during that stretch, what's going on? Like, what are you working on? And he's like, the problem is is that it's not the same thing, Like different things were happening. So it's a when it's not something where they were overly concerned, and it's also not something like where they were like, just do this. This is the correction. There were some different things going on over those starts, and they seem to largely have been corrected over the last six I believe it's five home runs and three of them coming in one game against the Mets, So he's going to have those moments. I know it's annoying for fans to hear this, but if he limits them to solo shots, even if it's three of them, the Cubs should be able to win those games because their offense is good enough. It's not gonna work every single time. He's gonna have a bad outing here or there. I think the hope going forward is they're two things. The hope going forward is those games don't comment in the playoffs the really bad ones. And then I think the reason for optimism is and why you don't really look at it like last season is because the stuff's completely different than last season. It's back to the twenty twenty five or twenty twenty four version stuff wise, the results aren't exactly like twenty twenty four. The home run is biting him a little bit, it more often, and it's sometimes in the tougher situations. But it absolutely that Velo being back to where it was completely changes where I view him. I like it. Just he was not the same picture in this once after that hamsterring injury last year. Uh and and he's you know, like you said, he's he doesn't love to get into depth about it, but he put in the work to get back to where he was. He's healthy now, he feels right. And how do he said it? In spring training? I think Schoda may have said it to He just there were things he couldn't do with his body. He wanted his body to move a certain way and it wasn't moving that way. And when you're hurt, when or you're not fully recovered or whatever's going on, like you can't do those things and you're just not going to be as effective. This. He's a different picture right now and and incredibly important and it comes don't have an ace when you know there there are there are not that many ones in the game. I wouldn't lock either Boyd or showed it into two. But they can pitch like twos. They for long stretches of time. You know, obviously, you'd love to have Ben Brown back, You'd love to have Kate Horton healthy. Like these guys all look like ones when they're when when they're at their best. But that's not the reality the Cubs are living in right now. So Showda and Boyd, these guys have to kind of carry the the unit going forward. Who knows what the trade line brings, because it's going to be hard. It's going to be really hard to get that impact. Guy can't rule it out. We'll see what rumors pop up over the coming weeks. But that's that's kind of what we're looking at, these two guys being the guys that you want to carry the bulk of the innings. A healthy Jameson Tywn isn't like the same impact as far as strikeouts and and and and things like that, and like run suppression in general, Like he's going to give up his fair share of runs, but he does eat innings, so he's important too. But these are the two guys that, yeah, I would focus on for the second half, and.
Speaker 2: Tyne before we exit, is scheduled to be slided back into the rotation after the All Star break, assuming everything goes well in his second rehab start this weekend. Like you said, another guy just professional a stabilizer.
Speaker 3: Can help cover some.
Speaker 2: Of these innings because it I do think this is going to get harder, like stretching out some of these bullpen performances, covering for shorter starts, like it's just not as sustainable, and as Counsel said in Cincinnati, like it's not like they're going to come back from the All Star break and the injuries are all resolved, like they're gonna be waiting on a lot of stuff.
Speaker 3: Other problems will pop up.
Speaker 2: So you need those guys who you get paid to cover those innings.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, there's I mean that that Thursday game in Baltimore, it's a perfect example of like you just don't have enough. You can't keep rolling out the same guys, and solid arms aren't going to always solid but unspectacular relief arms like Tyler Ferguson, He's not gonna be perfect. He's going to have these games where like he hits you guys or whatever happened that that night, and uh it was. It wasn't ideal, but like they needed. They need more arms in the bullpen and they need guys to go deeper in games. That's that's absolutely true, all right, Thanks so much for listening everyone, This is north Side Territory. Make sure to rate, review, subscribe, subscribe to the YouTube channel, and subscribe to The Athletic where Patrick and I are on top of all things Cubs. Thanks for listening and watching. Everyone. Take care.
Speaker 6: That you don't know Ilve
Speaker 3: Bad won lived