Speaker 1: Hey everybody, thanks for pulling up a chair.
Speaker 2: Today.
Speaker 1: We're back at the Sunset Tower Hotel in Hollywood on a glorious sunny day and we're getting a little bit of Paris in the house, which is super exciting. Bonur, Hello, Hello. Today we're having lunch with one of the most famous shoe designers ever, very identifiable issues because they all have a red soul. So we have lunch. So I hope you're hungry.
Speaker 2: I am hungry. Good. So what are you gonna have? Ales?
Speaker 1: Very good?
Speaker 2: Okay, So I have the loves of tackles.
Speaker 1: What does that red soul mean?
Speaker 2: Is it power? Is it wealth?
Speaker 1: Is it sex?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: But we are having lunch with Christian Lubiitin today at the Sunset Tower. So pull up a chair, definitely, pour yourself a glass or rose, and enjoy.
Speaker 3: I'm Bruce Bosi and this is my podcast Table for two.
Speaker 1: If you pulled up a chair today on Table for two, we're sitting with one of the most iconic designers in the world, a super incredible guy. I mean, I just got to say Christian. He is the world renown designer of one of the most famous shoes, but so many things Christian you design. Now we're having lunch with Christian Lubitan. What brings you to Los Angeles?
Speaker 4: Many things I've been doing a little too old America. I was in New Yorks, and I was in Nashville, and I was in Las Vegas.
Speaker 2: I go to San Diego.
Speaker 4: I came here for you and then done back to parents.
Speaker 2: All for.
Speaker 4: All religious religious religion, two world exactly, Okay, on some different projects.
Speaker 2: Some net going to talk to you about because it's still.
Speaker 1: Well, the lunch is young and the show has just begun. Maybe I can get Squeeze one. I can't because he's come with someone and she'll knock us out. So now I know what brings you to Los Angeles. You're on your on an American tour a little tool, yeah, which is good. And then when you go from l Aed you go back to France.
Speaker 4: I go back to France. It's it's the main reason is that my three daughters are having the It's not a party. It's the end of the it's the end of the school things or the school term. So there is like this party. So there is no way I would ever miss that.
Speaker 1: You know, you talk about your children and you know, one of the things that I find fascinating with you is you.
Speaker 2: Know you, you know when you.
Speaker 1: Think about your early desire or attraction to be a designer and shoes, like you were young, and for sure you were kind of a rebel, a young rebel.
Speaker 2: But you know, how do you think that began?
Speaker 1: Like what what caught your eye as a as a young as a young boy.
Speaker 2: You know, I would say rebel.
Speaker 4: I like the word rebel, and I like it for me to accepting that rebel, your you're rebellion against something. Rebel is in rebellion against something. I never was in rebellion against anything. I had the loveliest parents, So I was not in rebellion against my parents or against anything, society or whatever.
Speaker 2: I was just very free.
Speaker 4: And this is really due to my childhood and to my parents, I would say. So I own to my parents a lot of things, but the first thing I owned them is the capacity of them to allow me to really, really to be free.
Speaker 2: They never judged anything, They never judged anyone.
Speaker 4: Including their kids. So I was not a rebel, but I wasn't kind of mature, very very young boy, I would say, And from an early age I was going out.
Speaker 2: You know, I was going out when I was two.
Speaker 4: Twelve and a half, right, not you know, not coming back at the And you know I didn't have like the two am permission.
Speaker 2: I had the permission of the day after. Okay.
Speaker 1: First of all, the fact that like, because I have the Eve in sixteen seventeen and I'm like, you know, you need to be home at ten pm. Only the French are so coold because you know, Christians like I didn't have the you know, the two am at twelve.
Speaker 2: Twelve and a half, twelve twelve, I was still stating.
Speaker 1: You could be, but you make you say something I think is really important in a person's development, and especially when they are artistic and talented, coming from parents that allow you to be who you are and say okay because you're not rebel to rebel, I think is a very healthy thing. And when you can't do it because your parents woul squashed it, it comes out later in life in very peculiar ways. So that's very great.
Speaker 4: I mean, no, you know, even at one point when I was fourteen fifteen, I thought, you know, most of my friends were having problems issues with their parents and they had to be difficult and they hated the parents, and it seemed healthy to hate your family. Yeah, And I felt kind of bad because I never had that. I thought, Okay, one day I have to hate my mother, one day I.
Speaker 2: Have to hate my father.
Speaker 4: And I was just wondering when it was being to happen to me because I really had no reasons, and I never had any reasons. And now that they're gone, I understand that if you don't have a reason, just don't try it.
Speaker 2: And there was no reason to be against my parents.
Speaker 4: Because again, yeah, I hope it just happens to music.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Oh yeah, she's already cheers. She is. When you were twelve and you were sort of exploring and going out, first of all, it's wonderful that you could live at a time when you know there was just safety. You just made trusted in the fact that you were going to come on back. What was What were the influences going on around you at that time, or were their influences you know.
Speaker 2: The thing which happened to me is that.
Speaker 4: For some reason I always like to travel, or the idea of traveling. I haven't traveled. I never was out of France before the age of fifteen. Really yeah, we were staying in France going to brittany where my family is from. So we've been moving back around France. We barely made it to Spain. I think the car broke or something, so we never made it. Were stayed in the southwest of France. But I never had a problem because in a way I was traveling around my.
Speaker 2: Traveling in my bedroom and traveling in my head anyway, so it was very very very nice. And also I was preparing.
Speaker 4: I was preparing myself to be a big travel So my first passion has been funny enough. I wouldn't say escape the same way, but to drift, to drift from the it says a monotony of my child.
Speaker 2: I was not. It was not sad. It was just very monoptimist.
Speaker 4: You know, when you go on holidays at your cousins and the same place, there is a form of a mon aftterny. And so my form of escape of that was watching movies. Watching movie has been a very very big thing. And also on the way so watching movie. The problem is that so I'm born in the mid sixties, so now I'm talking of like mid seventies and late seventies.
Speaker 1: So we're very close like an h show talk so you know, yeah, I know all the reference your references.
Speaker 2: Okay, so go on.
Speaker 4: So I don't know about America at that time, but in France, the cinema of the period was very naturalistic, so you know, friend on the Girl.
Speaker 2: It was all about give me an example of like a movie.
Speaker 5: You know, the Chabrol movies include Sotel movies, so all those movies where kind of bourgeoise families having issues and no one has any makeup, so it was no longer such an entertaining but all about their introspective into society problems.
Speaker 2: So as a kid, I was just not interested.
Speaker 4: Okay, I liked the Hollywood movies. With the fifties, I like, of course, like you know, the Marylands, et cetera.
Speaker 2: And even the nineteen thirties the d.
Speaker 4: Trich everything which had to say with costume or fairy tale stories, musicals, but the reality had its normalist form was very boring to me.
Speaker 2: I mean, I had it at my place.
Speaker 4: Why would I go to the cinema to see Okay, you know, I have I have some issues and do I really like my wife and do I really get along with my sister? That type of stories was really boring to me. Now retrospectively, when I see those movies with the Patina, at the time they look quite non realistic. So now I'm for interested in the seventies movie, but at the time it really bored me.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The seventies with film, even in America, just leans into real realism of like people's relationships. There was the glamour should have went away, you know, movies like here like Cramer Versus Cramer or you had, you know, darg Day Afternoon, things that were like.
Speaker 2: It was so much about introspection. Yeah, it's interesting.
Speaker 4: It's just that when you are those topics when you are a teenager, yeah, are not for teenager and it's not for grown up. It was front and adorns the cinema of John Cassavedes. Yes, at the time, to me it was a little bit too hectic and nervous. Sure, I'm not fun nom.
Speaker 1: What were the movies then or the you know, wh worthy influences then? Was it like the Catherine Denot was it the.
Speaker 4: You know, first of all, I really liked this sixties cinema.
Speaker 2: It's a French sixties and bags on your wave. Okay, so you were a punk rocker.
Speaker 1: Yeah, explain that. Explain that to me who you were, because I didn't know that about you. And does that play and of course everyone talks about the red soul of your shoe because such an, I kind of does that play into the reason that exists?
Speaker 2: The sort of well the red sor the punk rock is there any.
Speaker 1: Sort of because it's very rock and roll, and it's very sexy and a woman crosses her legs and you see that red soul. It's very meaningful.
Speaker 2: But I want to go back to the punk rock. The Okay, thank.
Speaker 1: You, thank you, Christian The butan is a punk rocker who knew.
Speaker 4: Sheina punk rocking. She well, you know that happened in a in a very simple way. When I was going, you know, to around twelve, twelve and a half thirteen thirteen and a half, I.
Speaker 2: Ended up meeting people.
Speaker 4: So I had at one point this guy that I was dating.
Speaker 2: And his best friend who was slightly older than me.
Speaker 1: Oh really wait now, so you're I love that you were dating. So you're a how old now?
Speaker 2: Thirteen fourteen, fifteen, thirteen and a half fourteen.
Speaker 1: I mean, I should only have been so lucky to have been dating a guy at thirteen and a half fourteen French.
Speaker 4: Okay, okay, so you're dating Hew, Yeah, very sweet. I remain very very close friends all my life. He's dead now, okay, but we started really really close friend anyway, one of his best friends I was like four or five years older than me, and we became very very close friend. So we were going out all the time together. Not in clubs really, we went to music at a few clubs, play really theaters, plays to a cinemat to that, and sometimes concert and he kind of put me into the punk rock music. So with him, I ended up going to a lot of concerts, a great concert you know, the punk on the seventies or the English side of the punk, which, because in France we didn't really have it was really a true hundred per so importation of the Brits. So I ended up having this punk sign of me accepting that I mixed it with in a way my sex lanity, I would say. So I was a kind of gay punk which was not really existing.
Speaker 2: So I was draping on the safety pins.
Speaker 1: Shredding up the T shirts, you know all that stuff I like really.
Speaker 4: So really aesthetic aspect of per I was not a political point.
Speaker 2: I didn't grant. It was really a movement.
Speaker 1: We've got a lot of sadness in a way, in real sadness.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because of the poverty of being in the seventies, you know, when you were French. When I was as a teenager going to London, I was shocked as a poverty of London really cool. You have those being both. But he was saying, take a bath two people at the same time. It's kind of dirty and doty, you know, compared to piences. So now I wouldn't say it's the inverse, but valience has kind of stabilized and London has really emerged.
Speaker 1: Loon really has emerged.
Speaker 2: It has emerged. It's like one of the leading.
Speaker 1: Cities that sort of sets the towne now with a lot of factors. So to me, Paris is always and will I'm a New Yorker by heart, but it is the most.
Speaker 2: Beautiful city in the world. I agree.
Speaker 1: Van Firshenberg, who's very good friends with Christian, always says to me, you love the fantasy Parish, that's what you love, But I love the fantasy Prus.
Speaker 2: When you go through a city, you bring a fantais is. This is becomes the energy of the town.
Speaker 1: Thanks for joining us on Table for two.
Speaker 3: Our guest, Christian Lubritan, is now a world renowned designer who created one of the most iconic stilettos of all time. But what inspired his transformation from rebellious punk to an icon of the design world?
Speaker 2: How do you.
Speaker 1: Pivot to becoming this young man who starts to realize, okay, what draws you to start to design and design shoes? And how do you get to that place? And the stiletto? And it was also a time I think where there was issues with the stiletto. It was sort of like not in favor, you know, like how did was that always part of like your eye?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: Because I always also find it very interesting that men design beautifully for women, like the talent that you have to understanding a woman.
Speaker 2: How did that emerge?
Speaker 4: So I would say it comes from a set of things combined one thing. And I was brought up in the family with a lot of women. I had three sisters, a father who was working so who was barely there, you know, coming home in the evening, go never there during the day, sisters always around, older sister and no brother. That was it single male apart from my father. So and I was the smallest one. So I was like at a play with a lot of women. You know, when you're a small kid, even if you're a boy, le's you's a girl. Let's say you're not You're not scary, You're scary to women. So I was his little boy. I'm was not a male presence.
Speaker 2: So I was listening to my sister and I had it all.
Speaker 4: You know, the boyfriends Tom Pats it's a diet sing to save a little right female culture. And they were never thinking, Okay, here is a guy who's listening to girls stars and they were right. So from an earlier age, I developed a big thing with girls, right kind of have no secrets with me.
Speaker 2: I'm really easy. I see.
Speaker 4: There is no barriers between me and girls in general, in terms of that conversation when girls, when they're between girls, you know, they have a kind of conversation that they wouldn't have if guys are Rather it's like guys don't have the same conversation if there is a feminine presence, you know they're doing to stop. So I often say to my male friends, straight male friends, I would say, when they start to, you know, speak about girls and sometimes being kind of crude, and then they look at me they say, oh, so you know where a bit clued.
Speaker 2: Everybody, it's just joking. I said, don't want it.
Speaker 4: Girls do the same thing with your don't think that when girls are together they're so delicate, and.
Speaker 2: That's really not a problem.
Speaker 4: But I know that as a fact because I've been surrounded by women and girls from my earliest age anyway, so I've kind of knew that I wanted to do things for girls at the very big anyway. Then what happened is that with my best friend Toann, outside school, we would go to plays, to.
Speaker 2: Cinemas, but also from music home.
Speaker 4: And in Paris in the seventies, there was one thing if you go to a play, if you go to a cinema but mostly plays or music homes, et cetera, there is two acts. So second first, everybody goes out eventually to smoke a cigarette. And we realized, my friend, then when you're coming back second time, no one is asking for the ticket, you know, so everybody goes out, you come back.
Speaker 2: So we were sneaking in second act.
Speaker 4: So I barely saw any first act, but we saw every second act of every single show in Paris.
Speaker 2: So my favorite were music Home, okay, and so what's my first thing? For libergiaby that.
Speaker 4: Term mona rose leader, but Leado it was difficult to sneak in why for Libergia is the easiest, So.
Speaker 2: I ended up having this thing. I knew all the dancers now side dancers.
Speaker 4: We don't even have the name of the post, but I knew them all because when you see people, you know the chorus line. When you see them twenty times, you end up right kind of recognized. You noticing the one who is always a bit goofy, the one who is a bit rough, the one who's always late, the one who is incredible. He was the one who is really sexy, the one he's always late, you know. So I actually fought at one point to do something for this girl. Around that time, there was this museum next to where we were living. In the twelve hour on this month times, my second sister would send me there kind of to get rid of me.
Speaker 2: And how to get rid of you.
Speaker 4: And it was a museum where you had a lot of the biggest aquarium, so a lot of fishes, animals, and then on the top floors collection. It used to be called the Museum of the French Colonies, so you had a lot of collections.
Speaker 2: From the ex French colonies.
Speaker 4: So nineteen twenty nine incredibly beautiful crafted museum.
Speaker 2: Incredible everything we have to go, the.
Speaker 4: Barons, the floors, windows, the first gate, nineteen twenty nine cover.
Speaker 2: He was eighteen years old when he did first commission.
Speaker 4: Ever, wow, everything is masterpiece of the thirties really anyway.
Speaker 2: So the world and the floor were made out of mosaic.
Speaker 4: So the words a sketch when you were entering that museum, and it was a sketch showing a high heel profile and crossing red was forbidden to high heels. It was a sketch from the fifties in order to not to break the floor. But me, as a kid, I had never seen a sketch of a high heels, especially from the fifties, So I was like, why is this drawing there existing?
Speaker 2: What is that shoe? What does it mean?
Speaker 4: But because of that, I was looking at the drawing and at one point realized that it was probably which is not existing, but it was showing a heel and it was forbidden to.
Speaker 2: Spikey thing because it would break the floor.
Speaker 4: So it's a starting point where I realized that everything starts by a sketch and everything you see. We're in this restaurant that has started by a sketch. Someone has designed that microphone. That plate has been designed somehow somewhere by someone by not a very interesting plat.
Speaker 2: I was going to say that the same thing for the interesting the chair has been designed. You know, you've got studs on that chair.
Speaker 4: So all of this made me realize that everything starts by someone's brain going through the hand and start sketching, and then it becomes on at a reality.
Speaker 1: How over you again? So I just remember I'm contuctual as well. Jesus a twelve eleven twelve year for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah wow.
Speaker 1: I was watching Charlie's Angels in New York from my pajamas and you are, m.
Speaker 2: No, I was not. And so because of that, I really started to understand that there is a starting.
Speaker 4: Point to almost everything, and it has to go by from you to your hand, to your braind to your voice, whatever you want to do. Right, So I started to sketch that shoe, changing the high, changing the column, but kind of the same profile shoe and then because of that at school, people were starting to give me things information about shoes, because I was not this mad boy who was this, you know with design shoes on the tables in papers.
Speaker 2: You know, I was thrown out of school.
Speaker 4: Because I was like skating on the tables doing directly sketches.
Speaker 2: Anyway, it started like that. So I combined my love.
Speaker 4: For drawing shoes to my love of show girls, because when I was looking at those girls, I thought, so not girls and like revery birds, you know, softed birds, because I have all those houses.
Speaker 2: So I thought, what can I do for those birds?
Speaker 1: I love this?
Speaker 2: You see this like.
Speaker 1: Cross No, so that's no, that's not that's the rebel too in you. You're putting you don't know, but you're putting it together. The glamour of the show girl, the reverence, not the objectrification.
Speaker 4: So if I was looking at them, I didn't think, okay, I could do costume because they didn't have costumes. They were kind of naked with a lot of further unnaturally birds half further. So I didn't think, okay, I have to do for those women women birds. So I thought, okay, the thing which is not natural to.
Speaker 2: Birds, right, is right, So.
Speaker 4: I feel that's what I'm going to do. I'm going to do design the shoes for show Girls. That's actually the first job that I had.
Speaker 1: So let me ask you this, When you had that first shoe, that first letter with the red.
Speaker 2: What do you feel like? Did you what did it look like?
Speaker 1: Was it black? Was it sparkling?
Speaker 4: Was you know, it felt like in a way, I'm going to say a weird word, honesty. Why honessed it? Because I'm always trying to be as faithful as my first initials phots or drawings, for instance, And what happened for the red sord is that I sketched. I was sketching a lot of sketches, and they were all with bright colors, and I was in the spine actually pretty much by Andy Warhorn's water colors, you know, the six and so everything was really pop.
Speaker 2: Colors, vibet colors.
Speaker 4: So when I did the first prototype of one of that sketches, which were full of colors, and there.
Speaker 2: Was no black, no brown, no badges, no tope, no gray, you know, it was really right right right right.
Speaker 4: So when the first shoe arrived from that series of shoes that I had drawn, I had the drawing in my hand, and I had this prototype in my other hand, and the drawing looked better, and I felt, why so turning the shoe, which was good turning the shoe.
Speaker 2: At one point the shoe became almost black.
Speaker 4: Because I turned it, and then there was this big black soul, and I thought, that's not in my drawing. So it's not a big amount of dark black in the drawing. So I thought, I have to remove the black to see if it gives something to my skitch from my sketch. So I took a nail polish. There was his girl, Sarah, who was like doing her nails with an italy, so.
Speaker 2: I took her nail polish.
Speaker 4: We had a bit of a fight, you know, we were in the factual, but I said, come on, give me a let me try something, please, okay.
Speaker 2: So I got the nail polished, I painted, I removed the black. I didn't add the red.
Speaker 4: I removed the black, and then it became red, a bright color. And then suddenly it hit me that it suddenly it really looked my primary sketch, and so it was almost like magic. Here it comes back to life the sketch. That's why I say honesty, but it's more to be faithful to you know, as a designer.
Speaker 2: You invent things.
Speaker 4: Okay, so you're inventing a woman, you're inventing a silhouette, to inventing legs, inventing something.
Speaker 2: And when you are.
Speaker 4: Sketching, because it's a thing to be a stylist and to style, it's another thing to be drawing.
Speaker 2: It's not the same school again, no judgment, it's just different.
Speaker 1: No, it's a different talent, it's a different So that's an incredible story. It's you know, it's an incredible realization. And I bet you could never have imagined the impact and the sort of life that that took.
Speaker 2: Gone. No, that's full shit.
Speaker 3: Welcome back to Table for two. Over the years, Christian's brand has reached out from shoes to handbags, perfumes, and much more. His famous red bottomed lubutans are now worn by actresses and films and on red carpets around the world. But it all started with one shoe salon in Paris.
Speaker 1: When did you know, like, okay, I'm going to open my own working more to my own story in ninety one and how did that feel? Did you remember the opening day and did you have like a slew of different design like what did it look like? What did it feel like?
Speaker 4: But what happened is that I've been working for different people. So I started to work when I was eighteen. I worked for the Funny bel there and then after a few months I realized that I had a great time, but it was not much to do because this is not Broadway, right, this is nineteen eighty two, nineteen eighty two.
Speaker 2: There is no money in French production for place.
Speaker 4: So I'm like, Okay, if I really want to do my designs, I have to work for fashion.
Speaker 2: So I stopped and called.
Speaker 4: The fashion houses, took the yellow pages started by A no One B Balma.
Speaker 2: No one answered d GEO And I called.
Speaker 4: The house of Deal and I said, was you it's my name is Can I speak to the director? Because the woman who the phone says, ah, what director? I said, director that I cout to your director? All this madam the marta mar let me go through. And then I started to speak to that lovely woman. She's been my first ferry really wow, and she says, what are you doing? I probably had like.
Speaker 2: This little voice think she said, my little boy, what are you doing? I said, shoes. You want to show your shoes to me? I say yes, So come when do you want to come? So I had a meeting. I had that point. I came. She liked the shoes.
Speaker 4: She had just come back from Charles Rodon, which was this big company factory of shoes.
Speaker 2: She said, Joey is fabricated a childs at all? Do you want to work there? I say yes. Until it started as simple as that. Wow.
Speaker 4: Now it's also to tell you how much fashion has changed, because I think that if you call the house of your without knowing no one, I don't think you go very far one hundred.
Speaker 1: You're not going to go very far any direction, which is so interesting because it's so sad because so much great talent that might be out there can't get through to people like her, like madam, who's just like, oh, you said, okay, can you show me your shoes?
Speaker 4: It was when I say that with no nostalgy, because you know things are changing, but it was a different area, you know, the way no groups for the passion did not exist. You had the house of the own. Mister deal was dead, but it was belonging to one person. You had the house of son. It was been on into someone mister if san Roman who was alive. The house of was be there who was alive digital ship and mister every house had his household, his name.
Speaker 2: His person right.
Speaker 4: It was not brands, it was names directly connected to a real person.
Speaker 1: What a magical time that you came of age in that moment because you were still because you're still embodied that. I mean you still you know, you have a body that your that is a sort of generosity and the and the love this view because that's true, that's where you come from. Yeah, you know people are now designing and Instagram and social media. They're putting things on they have like sort of a different avenue. But I think it's very different. It's it's not I don't think it doesn't work in the same way.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't know how well you know.
Speaker 4: I think that one thing has entered this era for the fashion world is that there is a lot of moneys in it and money doesn't destroy everything. That when money is becoming the first topic, things.
Speaker 2: Are very different.
Speaker 4: Yes, And when I started my company, I didn't know what I was going to do.
Speaker 2: I just wanted to do beautiful shoes for great women. Right.
Speaker 4: I didn't think, Okay, I'm going to build something. I'm going to build a huge company. I'm going to build an empire.
Speaker 2: I had no nothing in my head thinking around me designing a shoe.
Speaker 4: I was designing shoes, and I had this great possibility to have one store to show what I was doing.
Speaker 2: That's what I wanted.
Speaker 4: And then it started by one place and that's about it.
Speaker 2: But I didn't have any master plans or you know.
Speaker 4: I received an award a few years ago, and then I had that antic, so whatever's achievement of world or something. And then there was a younger designer doing the same thing shoes, and so there was this booklet and so there was a profile and the designers, there was a profile on me. There was a profile and the few awarded, and then the person had just started his own company that maybe three years before. And then it was like in ten years, this in twenty years out, and I was thinking, man, why do you give yourself such hard things on your shoulders to see what's to happen to you don't put yourself right in ten years.
Speaker 2: I want to have achieved that, because you men not have achieved and it's.
Speaker 4: Not meaning that you're wrong or you should be unhappy. Life may carry you in some different corners in different places.
Speaker 2: Don't shrink yourself to a target specific.
Speaker 4: If I had to put myself a target in ninety one, I would have probably been dead by anxiety. You know, I never had an anxiety because I let the thing going. Now I have to be slightly more organized because the company has become a company whatever.
Speaker 1: But it's do you feel when was the moment that you saw this is now a thing?
Speaker 2: Was it a woman? Was it natural?
Speaker 1: Like? When did you say, oh, this is this is now it this is a thing.
Speaker 4: I tell you exactly perfect when because it's in your town, I mean in here as we're in New York, letter in where you live now.
Speaker 2: In La, I was taking back to planes, so I was doing La.
Speaker 4: X Harris, and I was smuggling back some shoes of mine. So from the store here, from the first door that I had in La, I brought back some shoes to palace. So I had a bag litmut turn bag, and then I go through you know when you go to the detector black hand luggage, and then there was the bag and the shoes, and so it went and it ring because of the metal. And then one of the women, you know, the police woman brought it, started screaming, and I feel what happened?
Speaker 2: And then.
Speaker 4: I thought, wow, Now if at the airport people screamed my name, I probably did something right right here.
Speaker 1: That is a great story. When you see let's just say an actress and award show movie, you see these very glamorous women and then you notice the heel and you know, I've seen it recently and a lot of things that have happened.
Speaker 2: What is the heel?
Speaker 1: What do you think that woman is saying? Because I think they know what they're putting on their feet and they want the world to see that red sauce? Like, what do you think that?
Speaker 2: What is it?
Speaker 1: I mean it means I think, probably something different to everybody.
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 4: I think it means something different to everybody because everyone has their own way of carrying themselves and the you know, their own choices for different reasons. But last time I saw something, I saw it.
Speaker 2: On a TV. Thing I saw as in DAYA and.
Speaker 4: What what what that shoe smelling? And she took the shoes, She took one of her red sauce, and she says to me, it is a smell of success. And with her beautiful eyes, with a really incredible body, lane shoulders, sleepy eyes getting very wide open.
Speaker 2: Right, she did it brilliantly.
Speaker 4: So that's an example of that also for other people. And it's you know, being a free spirit, being a liberated person, being in charge, know exactly independence.
Speaker 2: Also, I remember this woman telling me that she felt obliged to wear heels because of me.
Speaker 4: So as I'm sorry, you do whatever you want, you don't have to wear but she said, no, I have to explain you. I applied for a job and I had a pair of your shoes and I got the job. My boss saw me, he didn't look at the shoe, but I discussed with him eye contact, with eye level, and she said, but from now on, it's important for me with my relationship with my boss to have the same level the eye contact because if suddenly I look at him just like you know, gone, because he's kind of higher than it would change our working relationships. So it's important for me to keep up this eye contact to the same level.
Speaker 2: She said.
Speaker 4: I'm not approaching this to you, I'm just telling you that it has shaped a relationship in my work with my boss.
Speaker 2: It's amazing and use that so everyone is different.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you also do something that I just feel, as you know, people should know about you. As you know, you're involved with Idris and Sabrina Elbow with a Walk of Mile in My Shoes, which raise you've raised over two million dollars too, and all of it goes towards organizations and support social equality, all coming from the Racial Injustices of twenty twenty one. Yeah, I just think that that's the guy you are. You get back you and I didn't know that you were involved in that organization, and I think it's really important to know, you know.
Speaker 2: I think it's I think it's important.
Speaker 4: I know as a fact that I am in many ways very privileged.
Speaker 2: And but it's not because you are.
Speaker 4: Very privileged or even privileged, that you forget about the rest of people the rest of the world, you know, it's not.
Speaker 2: On the opposite, I think that if you are privileged, you have.
Speaker 4: Very little excuse to not to help people who are not privileged, because that otherwise that really creates barriers between privileged people or non privileged and you.
Speaker 2: Don't need to dig that hole very much.
Speaker 4: On the opposite, so you know, I think that it's a I don't take as a mission. I think it's very normal to give back because it's it is so important.
Speaker 2: I mean, it is so important.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 4: I have traveled in many, many places, and again I realize every time I'm traveling, how much.
Speaker 2: As a French person I am privileged. I'm privileged to have.
Speaker 4: A passport where you can go in many places and then have different things.
Speaker 2: I am really highly privileged.
Speaker 4: It doesn't make me feel better to be privileged versus people who are not privilege.
Speaker 2: You have to help, you know, and.
Speaker 4: Even on my selfish way, it makes you feel good, you know, it makes you feeling makes you feel good. But so many things make difference for people, and it doesn't really even.
Speaker 2: Make a difference to you, but it really makes a difference. It has an impact, so it raises the brain. Now are great on that.
Speaker 4: Because it's now the third years that we're doing that collection, and they're both very involved and one has a person.
Speaker 2: Of the collection.
Speaker 4: Goes to all the process of the collection goes to six charities. According every year, we're changing.
Speaker 2: A bit, but it's it's super important.
Speaker 4: I don't necessarily speak about it because it's not the heart of my job, but it's to it's important.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I think, and I know you don't. And that's why I wanted to mention, because I.
Speaker 6: Feel like it's important for people to know that not only are you multi facity but giving back and you know, you get back not for the recognition.
Speaker 1: But for the cause, because, like you said, you sit in a seat that allows you to be generous and to do make a difference in this world. And at the end of the day, we're here for a short.
Speaker 2: Amount of time, you know, just like let's saying Angelina Journey.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she is for many people, this beautiful woman, beautiful actress. It hasn't stopped her to be strongly, yes and powerfully into being a great activity. When I see her, have the biggest respect right for many reasons, right, but one of the reasons is out to now it's pretty obvious and she's been, you know, using her platform her faith for that which is great.
Speaker 2: Bad again, you can be somewhere and somewhere else.
Speaker 1: Right, any just thoughts on the changing the evolution of men's fashion with heels, with dresses with you know, you were one of the first. I love a heel and I always love that. I love your shoes. And I remember the first sort of shoe that had a heel, and it is a big heel I still had.
Speaker 2: It was your that you designed from men. What were you.
Speaker 1: Surprised to see all of a sudden this like? Or are surprised when you look at men on the red carpet and what they're wearing, how they're presenting themselves today.
Speaker 2: You know, I think it's a good thing. But it's coming again. If you look in the history, men have been on the heels for a long, long, long time. Seventeenth century hels uh huh, men were wearing.
Speaker 4: Makeup, right, men were having further and the heads, you know, jol Mira, who was the biggest general during Napotian period, was full of further wearing his head draped into you know, fur. So it was this thing, and then you know, it's this kind of bourgeois establishment when kind of reduced a lot of possibility for men. Right, So, now that it's back, it's a great thing.
Speaker 2: I think so too. It's a great thing. I'll embrace it. I cannot myself where Yes, it kills my back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it kills my I love a heel and I love your heels, like, yeah, I am at an age where it's coming like that. Your shoes they're very sexual. There's a lot and do you think your early years since you brought that into like your ability to sort of have come into your sexuality early has helped. Like, your shoes are very not just sexy, but like sex. You know what I'm trying to say.
Speaker 2: Where yeah, yeah, yeah, you know. First, it depends on the shoe, because I've been doing a lot.
Speaker 4: Of flat, flat shoes, flats, and that's.
Speaker 2: It can be. After said you know it again, it depends on people front.
Speaker 4: And one of the sexiest women ever now I don't know if people remember, but it was Bridget Bardle, Bridge Badle. If you think of budget Budle, it's a waste. And then flat ballerina right and very very low cleavage ballerinas, so not even Hills, and she is really the epitome of sexy in the sixties. So everyone can bring sexiness from their.
Speaker 2: Own behavior and their own body language.
Speaker 4: But it's true that he is to me brings and I love flat, I love boots, I love everything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just don't like clubs.
Speaker 1: That's really no clogs.
Speaker 2: Can I tell you why?
Speaker 4: Yeah, because clubs there is this When I hear someone coming, you know, I buy the sound and I'm able to tell you, Okay, it's a girl on the mule.
Speaker 2: It's someone in the pump, it's someone with a platform.
Speaker 4: But I still think it's a guy, or it's a woman, but it's a human beinness.
Speaker 2: When I hear I think, okay, here comes a donkey.
Speaker 4: You know, the noise of the cloud reminds me of animal work. I never can approach a human when I hear the sound of a c So it's not even about the study. It's about the sounds. The music is important to me. So sound is important.
Speaker 2: You know. When I hear that, I'm hearing flemented.
Speaker 4: You know, there is so many sounds attached to music by I mean Beyonce, the sound, you know whatever you know it sounds comes with music, clothes comes with farming.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: One of the things the takeaway is as an artist, as a designer, so many influences come into you Christ which is influence your design, which is you know, music and art and prois and you know, the beauty of life right to be you and to have influence and people, and like that you said it perfectly. When the TSA agent yells, oh my god, you know you've made it, man, you know you've made it.
Speaker 2: I was very happy. I was almost ready to be very fair. I had to bring them back. That was for customers, would.
Speaker 1: Chest and thank you for joining us today on Table for two. If you've listened, I hope you have enjoyed this as much as I have.
Speaker 2: Decided was delicious.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna finish. I am for teach me something that I should know how to say. I find friends.
Speaker 2: Something you should know when you come to friends. Yes, like move your.
Speaker 7: Answer something, Yeah, move your assa.
Speaker 3: Table for two with Bruce Bosi is produced by iHeart Radio seven three seven Park and Airmail. Our executive producers are Bruce Bosi and Nathan King. Our supervising producer and editor is Dylan Fagan. Table for two is researched and written by Jack Sullivan. Our sound engineers are mel b Klein, Jess Krainich, Evan Taylor, and Jesse Funk. Our music supervisor is Randall Poster. Our talent booking is done by Jane Sarkin. Table for two social media manager is Gracie Wiener. Special thanks to Amy Sugarman, Uni Scherer, Kevin You've, Bobby Bauer, Alison Kanter Graber, Barbara Jen, Jeff Klein, and the staff at the Tower Bar in the world famous Sunset Tower Hotel in Hollywood. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcast, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.