Speaker 1: Of the Law and Order franchises, SVU is considered especially watchable.
Speaker 2: We are the amateur detectives who kind of investigate the vicious felonies. These episodes are based on. These are our stories. Done done hoo doy who I've never said that. I'm sorry, but it's that's messed up. An SVU podcast.
Speaker 1: I am Lisa and I am Kara, and welcome to our podcast where we talk about episodes of Law and Order SVU the true crimes they're based on. Sometimes we interview guests from the show and up top we just chit chat about what's going on.
Speaker 2: And boy we are how is evacuating your family during a giant fire that's still not apprehended.
Speaker 1: We're two weeks into this fucking year, and like we don't even have Trump yet, you know what I mean, Like, I just don't even know if I'm prepared.
Speaker 2: I know, I watched the defense guy be like examined by the Democrat like by the Congress or whatever, and they he doesn't know anything. He doesn't know any alliance, he doesn't know the words Like I don't know them. I can't repeat them. But like I'm not trying to be the director of of defense. I like, he doesn't know anything, Like how is this allowed? And why are the Republicans on tape raping children? All of them? Like why not? One of them is like, I mean, we can't have this guy being charge, Like I don't, I just don't. They're like that one smart guy. I just don't understand. But like he's cheated.
Speaker 1: He's cheated on two wives and had a kid with one of them. Out of way, It's like, it's crazy. Are you hearing about mel Robbins too? Do we have to cover her? Let them? You don't know about this? Oh my god.
Speaker 2: She's this like psychologist, Like she might not have a degree. She's an inspirational speaker, but she's all over TikTok, right, Like she's like a tit she got. But she's someone that was like eight hundred thousand dollars in debt. Her life was a mess, she changed everything and now is like a millionaire podcaster, right, and she has these this she's just everywhere or maybe just in my algorithm. Okay, she's just like everywhere, her books everywhere. But I don't even know how it connected to anything. Oh she was just talking about like someone called in for advice on Chelsea Handler's podcast of like feeling hopeless and like everything being terrible and blah blah blah, and it was just kind of the thing that you're probably experiencing right now in La of like all the big stuff. Let that you can't change these people. You can't change what's happening in government, like the collapses, like things are out of control. And yes, we can be hopeless and it's fine if you are. Honestly, I'm not Mel Robbins. I don't give a shit. But it's like the community, the people are coming out. Yeah, like places are like we have enough donations. Like it's just like you're seeing actual community come together and help each other in small, manageable ways that you can. People's houses are burned down, they have nothing, like there's nothing we can actually do, but people are helping and I don't it just is wild. And then I'm sorry the someone in your leadership. It was like thinking target, like it's like I just hate everything in government and it's just she's not original saying it. I can't even you know, listen, I but it's just a small collective, yeah, people and seeing people come together and is the one the inspiring thing we can have before the you know, insurance companies buy. Yeah, yeah, so yeah, I just you know, it's been unfortunately inspiring in ways that might make you feel less hopeless.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but thank you for everybody who has has messaged me asking how my family is.
Speaker 3: We were we were okay.
Speaker 1: We're about ten miles nine miles from the closest fire, and our house was very smoke. Our power went out, so we did leave and go somewhere with better air, and then we moved to we went to Long Beach and then we moved south down to closer to like the San Diego area for a day. And then once our power was back on and I heard that the air was improving in La, we came back like we were gone for two days and it's just been scary and it's just been sad, Like I just know a lot of people that have lost their homes. But we are doing okay, And like you were just saying, it's been so inspiring, so amazing to see everybody mobilizing, like everyone's doing stuff to help. Like honestly, I have two bags of clothes like sitting marked with everything that's in them, what size they are sitting on my coffee table because like everybody has too much right now, like a lot of not in terms of cash, everybody can use more cash, but in terms of like goods, people like I've been given so much and everybody I think a lot of people that have been displaced feel like in terms of goods donations, they feel like pretty taken care of. But I think we're gonna shout out some gofundmes at the end of.
Speaker 2: The money for sure. Money is all so like the labor of at all, Like people have to sort through everything and organize it. And so of course you wrote on the bag, what's up, Like that's incredible.
Speaker 1: But like one of my mom groups, like two of my mom groups joined forces and created a store that was up and running in like three days of all like really nice clothes for women and kids and men for anyone, for people, clothes for adults, like toys, toiletries, all kinds of shit that you could just go shopping at this store. So instead of people just like bringing you shit that you're like, cool, this isn't really my style, or like what am I going to do with this that doesn't fit?
Speaker 2: That's what we did. The synagogue had like just clothes and you could go and fix that up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And they had that mobilized up and running for like in two days, and like it's going, it's going all week in.
Speaker 2: La one video and it started and I was like about to be mad that it was like sill, like I didn't get it at first, but it was a guy being like, I'm going to donate all my squish mollows and he went to a store our JUnit and it was like boxes and boxes and boxes, and I was like what And then you see the kids jumping in and picking out their toys and hugging the squish mallows and then I'm like the kids lost everything. They don't have schools, And then I lost it, but like, yeah, yeah, that's like a toy, Like yeah, I couldn't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so yeah, I dropped off a bunch of school supplies at a school at a drive yesterday. Like I think it's just trying to get things like but everybody really feels like they're helping, except for the people that are on the internet spouting misinformation and conspiracies about why La deserves this or whatever. So appreciate it's not even to give them time honestly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can't.
Speaker 3: I appreciate everybody's well, you know what.
Speaker 2: I also told our friends like I was, I was, you know, I was texting a little bit, but that the kids were at like a trampoline park. I don't know. And so I was like, that's so funny because to the kids, this is gonna be one of the best weekends of their lives and they have no idea. Well, obviously there's gonna be trauma. But it just reminded me because in like O nine or twenty ten, there was a horrific blizzard in Chicago and like people froze to death on shore drive in their cars, like there was devastation. It changed the way like snow days were administered from then on, like in terms of like, well it's not risk it. But our friends at the best party ever and we got hammered, and I had a big sleep over at my house and we watched movies all like the blizzard that devastated and people died, not comparable to the fires at all, but like just such a good memory. And with the kids, it's like they're just gonna remember Sandy, Like, yeah, they were so excited to just be at this, like we stayed at like you know, the equivalent of like a residence inn where like you know, you have like a room and a living room and like so that we can like maybe not be with our kids twenty four or seven, and like they were like all got friends. The video the dads were jumping. I got a video of the dance. Yeah, oh yeah, yeah. Everyone was like all of our friends are at this hotel. Like so in the morning, they'd be like, can we go have breakfast with all of our friends.
Speaker 1: I mean they were like having They love hotels. They like they yeah, they felt like they were on vacation. But at the same time, like I've been talking to a lot of parents that are like, what are you telling your kids? Like I'm just like I had a friend text me and go, we've just been telling our friends our kids that this is a windstorm. And I was like, oh, everybody do your own thing to each their own. Of course, you know your kid better than anyone else. But like I tell my kids, I'm very honest with them, Like I told them everything. I was like, there are these big fires, some people have lost everything. You're very lucky, you know, Like I'm telling them everything and then people are like, we just told them that we had.
Speaker 2: A power outage. Is that weird? And I'm like, I don't know.
Speaker 1: They're gonna hear stuff at school, and I think you'd rather hear it from your parents in like a thoughtful conversation than like I'm not showing them charred remains, but like you know what I mean, like I'm telling them what's going on.
Speaker 2: This could be you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like I'm trying to get them to donate some of their stuffies, which has been difficult, but we did get rid of a few Paw Patrol stuffies for a family that had a Paw Patrol fan.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: It's been like, Okay, there's been comics who have lost their homes and I understand, like I do get the sentiment of kill the rich. Obviously, you know Luis g Fan. He's innocent though, but alleged. But like Billy Crystal, losing his house is not the establishment, you know what I mean? Yeah, like Billy Crystal will be okay, but I'm sure he has better memories than you do and he deserves to have them, like he hosted the Oscars. I'm sure there's envelopes but like we can still feel sad for you know, Mandy Moore losing her house even though she's on a TV show like the I don't it's not just.
Speaker 1: Anymore GoFundMe for her in laws and people went after her. And it's like, do you think Mandy Moore has the money to rebuild everybody's life in her entire family? Like her in laws needs some help, like she reposted their GoFundMe, Like everybody is going, I don't know. Everybody feels out of control at times like this, I think, And and they want to like be like they want to like exercise control by telling everybody like how they need to be doing this and that and spending on on on and publicizing one and and whatnot. And it's like it's everybody needs to just take a step back and look for how you can help. But we don't have to dwell what else has been going on?
Speaker 2: You don't have to dwell? Okay, I will, I'll just I guess switch quickly. I was doing a show well still with the Fires. I was doing a show at Union Hall, one of my favorite places to perform, and I'm gonna do a show in tel February seventh BT Dubs and when does this come out? My special is on Netflix or coming out night Owl? I am desperate get over it, so.
Speaker 1: Please A special night Owl on Netflix comes out in one week from today. If you have not gone to your TV and set the remind me whatever button it is, just go to your Netflix now and go be boop remind me. That way, it will just pop up on your Netflix. You don't even have to think about it on the twenty eighth, because yes, thank you are getting here.
Speaker 2: We're worry we gotta get this baby in the top ten. I'm also so nervous. I'm trying to like be on all everyone's podcasts. I'm messaging every friend I have that's successful, and I'm like, do I have this many things to talk about? I do? But it is like Jesus Christ, people are gonna be sick of my ass. But so Gavin Mattz put together a show to give money to fire stuff, like I said, yes, of course, I show up, and I'm kind of like, I don't know, I feel like I should be killing harder. I'm a little annoyed, but I'm having fun, you know. I'm like, oh, this is a nightmare. I go well, obviously in California it's worse, you know, like trying to be charming, but I'm like, what's going on? Two people had seizures in the back of the showroom and two comedians were whole Emil Waqim Ricky Vellez holding up a woman seizing and then Ricky's like I kept being like sh because I was like, no one was telling me. They were taken out of the back of the room. Yeah, a one woman's ease and foul and then another and like chances that's not a massive venue, Like what are the alls of two people? And I'm up there being like what that was a good one? Guys, what's going on? You guys are giving me nothing. I think people are watching women's seas in the back. But I'm like, I guess it's good they hit it for me. But I went back behind that current and everyone was like, you will not believe what's been going on. Because I also felt like I was on stage longer, like usually they're really tight on time there, like yeah, because I was like, am I going crazy? But I am a professional, like I know kind of where I'm at, So I did feel like I was I knew it was more than ten minutes, so now it all makes sense. But I was up there for a while being like, all right, I guess they want me here longer, you know, like because I knew the next comic was there. So yeah, it' all like kind.
Speaker 3: Of wow and both during your set. Yes, it's going on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I hope they're okay. Yeah for your donation to the victims of the fire. And I hope you could afford your ambulance ride. Yeah, yeah, I guess maybe we should figure out how to reach I've been kind of making light of the situation, but yeah, two people did have seizures.
Speaker 3: If you know the people that have the seizures, please let us know that they're own.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let me know. I don't mean to make light of it. It is just like a why you know, a story. It's a story. I tell stories. Yeah, okay. Yeah. Also, this is a brag, so I well, I guess I'll do a Luigi update. A Luigi update. The trial date has been moved from January eighteenth to like February seventeenth, because the defense, Yeah, the defense actually needs more time. I was reading an article in a Baltimore paper where am I the Baltimore Sun. I'm sure I'm a fucking subscriber and that's why I can read it. Okay, I can't. Yeah, I gotta check in with the business manager be like how many papers am I subscriber?
Speaker 3: We need rocket money on the case here.
Speaker 2: But it's actually good for the defense because they need more time to build the case. And the Pennsylvania date has been like stopped because basically you go to court to like plead not guilty and guilty, but you can do it not in court by being like, we understand the charges and this is how we plead. Okay. But yeah, so February seventeenth it's been moved, which is good because I have a busy Saturday because I was gonna go, but I do have a lot.
Speaker 1: Of seventeenth of February. That's gonna be a Monday. But that's gonna be like the start of the real trial. That's not like the grandeur.
Speaker 2: They're like, no, it's still not This is gonna take a long time. It's gonna be I don't know. I don't know if it's good. I don't know exactly, Okay, Okay, I was just wondering might not appear in federal court till mid February. It's the one of the defense attorneys says, this is standard operating procedure and and they said this is good, like they need more time. It benefits the defense. The longer the case drags, it puts more pressure on the state to try and get a verdict. So yeah, and it says he comes from one of the wealthiest families in Baltimore. Yeah. So honestly, I'm not going to read you guys, like any paper that uses the photo of him screaming. I'm like, I don't, I'm not using it. But oh, can I tell say one thing that I please?
Speaker 1: Speaking of court, So, Jeredika watched this movie the other day with Nicholas Holt that's out now. It's on Max and it's called jur Number two. Okay, okay. Clint Eastwood directed it was he truly looks like the crypt keeper. And I'm not even rude. It's just the side by side. I know, I know, I know, And like, oh wait, that's so funny because when I was watching the movie, the main wife in the movie, her name is Zoey Deutsch, and I was like, who is Zoey Deutsch? Like how do I know HER's daughter, Leah Thompson's daughter, and her husband is a TV director who directed a movie director and a TV director, and he's directed Tales from the Crypt. Wow, he's just Wow. That's like a fucking IMDb backflip. I just did and I was insane. So but he directed some kind of wonderful which is how he met Leah Thompson. And then they had Zoey Deutsch and she's in this movie. So this movie, I mean, fast forward if you don't want spoilers, but like it's literally if you just watch SVU, you're like, this movie doesn't make any sense based on forensics. Like the premise of this movie, Like essentially the premise of the movie is that a guy gets on a jury and then realizes he may have committed the crime. He committed the crime that is on on the thing for but it's like the way they have her accused being murdered is not the way he murdered her. And it's like forensics would tell you that, and so the whole thing makes no sense. It's like shot in a way that looks like very lifetime to me, Like and you go on the Rotten Tomatoes and it's got like a ninety one percent, and I'm like, I just can't believe so many people like this movie. It's based, it's well acted. Oh Tony Collette is the fucking prosecutor. The guy from Mindy Project who's oh my god, movie Grit has a new game, Casey. Have you played it? It's called Movie Snake. It is the best thing ever.
Speaker 2: It is so good that I play it on my Google Chrome, then play it on my phone to try to get better, and then I play it on both Safaris, like I keep just trying to get a better and better and better score because it's so fucking fun. It's basically one actor, So let's say it's Julia Roberts and then it's a snake. You don't see the next category, and you can't the first time I play, I try not to like skip forward to like see what works best, Like I try to just play it naked, but it'll say like a category and you keep going through the snake of categories. And obviously it just was really fun because it's the actors you really know, Like you know Matt Damon's catalog, you know Tom Cruise's catalog. Okay, you can really have fun picking and choosing. So shout out to the movie group people for I'm more new games. You just keep coming at me. And I can't wait for Reese Witherspoon because I just watched Little Nikki last night and she's in that. She plays an angel and I'm about to get an incredible score.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, I wonder if they're sick of me dming them.
Speaker 2: Were you like, I love movie snake. I just googled my streak, by the way, and I did not get the I did not get the result.
Speaker 3: That I wanted.
Speaker 1: Uh, but like a penis No, it was just a lot of huge snakes from movies like Anaconda or whatever. You know that I don't want to see an a Conda in the theater. Oh, Jennifer Lopez Yeah, and John Volloy. Yeah. Anyway, I would just say if you're like, if you're even a freshman at sv University, like you do not need to watch your number two? It's like whatever, but what else is going on? That was my review my movie corner.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I'm I'm gonna watch the Dana Mora Escape Show because Melanie, who is in charge of Simpsons Trivia, told me it is good and her her boyfriend did lighting for it, so I like being connected. I like, okay, okay, but that's exciting. I also did go back to Simpsons Trivia, and I had the time of my life just playing, just playing. Oh yeah, I said, you guys were going and we had a great time. And I hope, I mean, I hope. I'm like so busy when my special comes out and popular. But also I do hope I'm free that night so I can go to Simpsons Trivia because I did have so much fun and we did better than I thought. But I also am an idiot. It's crazy because one of the cattle, like one of the themes was Snow, and I watched every Snow episode. Then while I was getting ready for that for that night, I watched a bunch of them again. Took notes. Two of the questions about an episode I watched before I left the house had no recollection.
Speaker 1: Oh, I like, you were overloaded.
Speaker 2: I was like, because I was like, oh, I know this answer, and then they're like, but how did he break his COCKSIX? And I go, I don't know, Like it was just so annoying, but I had just watched it, so annoyed. Oh my god, I am talking about bad movie. But I do love Nicholas Holt. I do really, I'm a big fan of his.
Speaker 1: I loved the I like him. It was that foodie one that I loved, the menu y. I love that, Like, I think he's very talented. I just and he's He's good in the movie. The acting is not the problem. It's just experts. It's also got the MINDI Project guy, the guy that was like her love interest in the MINDI part.
Speaker 2: I love you know, Hannah, I have Christmasina.
Speaker 1: And he's cute too, Like it's star studded, and you're just like, why isn't it good? Why is it based on something that like could not be real? Like later they try to say, oh, well, the guy who did the autopsy did for autopsies that day. That's a lot of autopsies. And I'm like, but you're gonna maybe put this guy away for like, like you'd redo the autopsy, Like I don't know. No one is like it's and then the in the movie, the prosecutor starts to investigate, and that's when you're like, they don't do that.
Speaker 3: The prosecutors only care about winning.
Speaker 2: They do not they are not going out to see if maybe they were wrong, Like that's not happening. Oh no, no, well I watched its terrible movie, so bad that I could not even finish, even in the background while I was doing other things. It was that bad. But star studded so it's so weird, and I think the reason it got me, not that that's this podcast, is because this guy made She's all that and the guy just bought the script. Get over it.
Speaker 3: Get over it sounds familiar.
Speaker 2: So bad, But listen to this cast. Kirsten Dunce, Ben Foster, Cisco, Shane West, Colin Hank, Zoey's Sildana, Mila Kunis, Swoo Scerts, Ed Bagley, Junior, Martin Short, Carmen, Electra Coolio like and this guy, Dove Tiffenbach, who is from SVU episodes That's why I know him and from a Harriet the Spy.
Speaker 1: But he's you know it truly is. Oh wait, Melissa Sage Miller is in it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I because I don't know who that is. She's one of the forgettable das from SVU. She took the strawberry.
Speaker 3: Blond that you're like, who the fuck is this like.
Speaker 2: Are you fucking kidding me? Oh my god, you have to cut this as a clip. Casey, the fact that I fucking you're like, I swoop because I didn't get you.
Speaker 3: She's Jillian Hardwick.
Speaker 2: She is third in the IMDb photos and I skipped her because I go, well, that's an unknown who didn't go anywhere. And she is in the show that we do a podcast about. Are you fucking kidding? And we call her the forgettable da she is forgettable. That is why you don't have a career, bitch. Sorry, yeah, Ada, Jillian Hardway. Oh my god, Oh my god, this is the best moment of my life. Like this is electric. Eleven episodes of SVU skipped over even saying her name. She's redacted in your mind. Oh my god, this is like the best moment of my life. Oh how she was a mister Woodcock. That's funny. Oh that's a good one for Billy Bob Thornton if.
Speaker 1: He ever comes on movie grid is that Susans is mister wood No, that's a different movie.
Speaker 2: Never mind. Okay, but what I did want to say, and it does have to do with our podcast, kind I mean, yeah, So I went to the first, it's a brag. So I went to the Met an artist that I owned three pece from him, and then he's gifted me one piece as well. He was at the he was in a Met, he was in an exhibit at the Met, Damians Damian Davis. So we and it, you know, So we did a pilgrimage to the Met on a Sunday, on a.
Speaker 3: Sunday upper eating, I mean side on a Sunday.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I'm just saying, like that's commitment. That means you really want to see someone because it is packed.
Speaker 3: Ye, not the way I love to do things.
Speaker 2: But the exhibits till February seventeenth, it's Flight into Egypt, Black Artists in Ancient Egypt eighteen seventy six to now. And what it's cool is they had like a TV situation playing an old sketch of Richard from the Richard Pryor Show, which I don't even know was a show, and it's like it seems very Chappelle show, Key and Peel, like what a lineage, But it.
Speaker 3: Was a sketch about like.
Speaker 2: How they like find a tomb and realize that the civilization started with black people, so the white people. One of which is Robin Williams, close him in a tomb and burn everything to hide it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh my god, that's cool.
Speaker 2: And what was cool was like Damien's piece was in the same room as like next to a Kara walker and in the same room as a Basquiacht, Like, oh, that's so and obviously like probably other very well known artists that I just don't know, but like yeah, and then I heard two women walking towards the Damien's piece going oh, I want that, like pointed him and then like read about. I mean, it was like I can't believe I know someone with a piece at them in the met Like I just can't awesome, that's cool. I truly can't believe it. And then on the way there I couldn't even believe my luck I found an exhibit that was I So we're walking past the modern photography. I mean, this place is huge, so like you have to walk across the thing Jesse Crimes corrections and it's a whole room of our made by this guy, Jesse Crimes, who was incarcerated for five years, and it's basically the art he made on the inside with decks of cards, soap, newspaper clippings and photos and pebbles from the yard and straying, and it's like his whole thing was they can take everything from you, but not your.
Speaker 3: Ability to create.
Speaker 2: Wow. And but the art was just okay, yeah, like you know, limited resource considering the materials.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, limited resources.
Speaker 2: But it was also like the power of photography and like just different photos of like peoples, mugshots and collages with like famous people and newspapers. I don't know. I just like couldn't believe. I found like a prison art show on my on the way and I did write to Luigi to let him know about the exhibit.
Speaker 1: How are you communicating with Luigi snail mail or is there any Yeah, I'm writing No, No, I'm writing cards, like okay, I'm writing.
Speaker 2: I've written to a few of I only have one friend that's been supportive, and everyone else is like pretty upset by my choices. One friend said, I will pray for you. One shook their head. No. But I just couldn't believe it, and that's awesome. It was just cool, a beautiful day at the met And I also just felt, I mean, this is like terrible to say, well, you know, you're in the fires of la But I just can't believe I live a train ride away from the met Like.
Speaker 3: It is Yeah, that's that is cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like to be an art It's like yeah, And that's how I felt in Chicago, like I love I mean, I love the Art Institute. But and it's so funny because I saw a painting and I go, wait, that's in Chicago. This George Sarah is not fucking hero what the fuck? And it was one of his like like getting ready ones. It was like a study. It was like one of the prequels to the Final and I was like, damn, I'm like so smart. Yeah, the last year the Art Institude in.
Speaker 3: Chicago is amazing, Like I love that museum.
Speaker 2: No, it was just a very special day and also connected with what we do and what we're interested in. So it was like that's cool. Anyway, any business, before we wrap up, We've got night Owl on Netflix coming out in one week from today. The time I had like a really fun experience with my sales associate at T Mobile, but I think since we're at thirty minutes, we could save that for a different day. The one little funny thing I'll say about it and then this will be a to be continued for next intro. But I was like, I'm not good with technology. It panics me. I'm just like it's it's a trigger for me. So I'm like stressed. I have to get this upgrade. But my sister got this great deal. I gotta go get a new phone. And I'm like panicked and something glitch like while it's sharing information, I'm like, what's the mirroring? Like is all my photos the files? And I'm like flipping out. He goes, No, I understand. The iPhone twelve merge was a wild time. A lot of people lost a lot. He goes. I get a lot of people your age, real stressed. But things are different now, That's what he said to me. Things are different now, he goes. He goes, I get a lot of people like you, stressed out, but like all of your photo everything will transfer. Do not worry.
Speaker 1: He's okay, okay, babe, Everything's gonna be okay, all right before we leave though. Also, Lisa has a ton of tour dates. You can go to the link in her Instagram bio for those or you know that's messed up. Live dot Com has like all of our Instagram bios that lead to calendars and stuff like that. And then we are going to be doing a live show in DC on following Lisa doing a weekend there, so go see Lisa do stand up. And then we're doing a show on February twenty third, so go grab tickets to that. We love coming to d C. And yeah, it's going to be at the Improv again. We always do a different episode, so if you've come before, come again, and yeah, let's get started.
Speaker 2: Baggage Season ten, episode eighteen. I'm really excited. This also reminds me there's a show called Baggage and it was referenced and I think season one of Girls. You know you have like big baggage, medium baggage, little baggage. Have you heard of this?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: So in Chicago, I had a friend and every New Year's Day we would get together and watch Baggage. And it was a game show hosted by Jerry Springer and basically it's like a dating show and a man or woman and then there's like three people, three contestants, and they have a giant suitcase and they reveal your like big baggage.
Speaker 3: Yes, I'm remembering this and then you.
Speaker 2: Pick which one you can't deal with, and then one gets eliminated, and then it's like medium baggage, and then you have to pick someone before you find out what the small bag, like what the biggest baggage is or the you know, the like, yeah, the most fucked up and then you like decide are you going to date that person or not? But it's it's unhinged. Oh guess what. You can watch it now and then watch it on Pluto TV on all these new fast channels they're letting you watch baggage.
Speaker 1: I totally remember this now that you're bringing it up. I'm like, it's coming back to me, like.
Speaker 2: And I remember. I feel like I remember Shoshana's baggage, like her most crazy one was that she didn't doesn't love her grandmother, and then one was that she was a virgin, and then I don't remember what the other one was.
Speaker 3: Wow, I what do you remember?
Speaker 1: What they ever were on the on the Springer Show, Like, were there ever any like crazy ones? Like I feel like there was one that a guy was like I was in Joe for Murder. Never mind, but maybe I'm making that up.
Speaker 2: That would be in I remember any of them, but we yeah, we would eat I think wings Stop and pizza and it was just it was I think we only did it like two years in a row, but it was nice. But this is not that. This is terrible. This is terrible and obviously unlocked a huge fear. I am traveling and this is something that will like, did I already give something away? Listen, I don't care. This is the most horrifying episode. So we're in a sexy old time warehouse elevator and it's the type of elevator that would be in a nineties movie about a woman cheating on her husband with like a sexy art guy, and obviously something goes wrong and like the Diane Lane movie Unfaithful, yeah, perfect murder. Like there's always just like an old timey sexual elevator because the guy always.
Speaker 1: Lives in like a massive yeah loft that he's like and you have to like crank the elevator yourself.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I actually just recently went to a bar where they behind the bar they were cranking with the rope the food from the kitchen. It was like a circular police system. Yeah, I mean I felt like I was on a pirate ship. Yeah, I got a lie. Wow, okay, so cool. So yeah there and we hear chatting and it's between a young woman explaining art to a white haired man who is pawing at her, grabbing her. She's pushing them away, but she still tries to like talk about art. Every piece is unique. He's now fully in a rate mode. He's trying to get her. She's like screaming, and then she goes, Casey, Hi, I've brought someone to see your ceramics, and then oh god, Casey is dead. And not only is she did she is naked, eyes open, bruised up, tied up in like a BDSM style, tyings marks on wrist ankles. She has red hair. It's very scary, and the cameras start, you know, flashing. It's Judah Ciper, friend of the pod, and she's the lead on the science side the scene, and this apartment has a lot of plans, like full jungle vibes. She was really ahead of her time. And then Finn and Stabler arrive at the scene and she gives them the lowdown. This is Casey Chapman. She's twenty eight. Did you think about Tracy Chapman when you saw that name? No, that's I should have though. That's how it's scy that they did.
Speaker 1: Casey Chapman is pretty funny, Like, I mean, I'm going to Tracy Chapman fan my whole life.
Speaker 3: That's crazy.
Speaker 2: I miss that. I never cared. It's fine. It's just like word associations, you know. Yeah. So she's twenty eight and she's an up and coming ceramics artist, so I'm sure she has wealthy parents as well. There's no sign of forced entry, so Finn, you know, it's like he you know, conned his way in obviously, but there is a window open, and Stabler is like, this is fucked. He goes tortured, hog tiede and posed for shock value. This is not the first vict And then we find out not the first victim, April Silva. The same thing happened to her three weeks ago. And they both have their lips glued shut as well. And then they see he you know, is learning he's leaving less behind, and god, I don't.
Speaker 3: There's it's really really graphic. It's really a lot.
Speaker 2: Basically there is her back is burned from hot water, so it's like scalding hot water, and Finn goes and he's just winding up, and Stabler goes, well, we need to shut him down, and we go into credits, of course, and we're in Melinda's house and there are you know what my dad asked me during I went to see them on New Year's And my dad goes, when did you like that? So Dad like or me, but he was like, why do you do this show about our podcast? He goes like why Cray like, why do you learn about this? And I go, Dad, I made you take me to a murder cereal like a cerealcular wax museum when I was a child, Remember I watched OZ and you would take me to the library and ed get like forensic Psychologists book. I'm like, none of this is ringing a bell that I've been doing this for ever, Like it's so crazy to me. That's so funny. He's like, and I'm a criminal justice. I'm like, I also majored in sociology, like the study of people and how like yeah, why they do things? Effect Yeah, like I I you know, maybe he's just older or doesn't remember, or it's just too much. But it was such a dad thing of like when just start doing this And I'm like you've been here for all of it for decades.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile, like my parents will give me something canoeing related like every year, and I'm like, I was a canoeing counselor twenty years ago.
Speaker 3: I have other interests.
Speaker 2: They'll just think of.
Speaker 1: Remember one thing that you like and be like here it is forever like and then just ignore the other things that you've been clearly interested in.
Speaker 2: It was just so funny. I'm like, I just care about injustice and I don't know it's sick, but yeah, we'll see. I just can't believe I'm going to about to be like a woman in the court stands. Okay, So we're in Melinda's house and the well because then you know, I'm only I'm so acab and my dad was like, why why are you so anti? And I go all right, let's go. So then it was just like every it was the ed Kemper police trials. It was like, what was the upstate New York one where I kept it scaping. We'll Colleen stand too, but like I just like kept going bad, like all these cases that we've covered, and I'm a pothead. So it was like the fact that I remembered as many as it. I'm like, I don't make stuff up. My thing is like, why would you trust your children less than Russian television? You know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Yeah, my parents trust me less than Fox News.
Speaker 2: It doesn't make sense. Like, I don't understand why you wouldn't listen to your kids who you ran who? Like you paid for my college.
Speaker 1: I know, that's such a good point. It's like you created me.
Speaker 2: You don't have any faith in anything I have to say or my thoughts. Yeah, but anyways, back to this horror, back to the scalding backwood. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Woman, so we're talking about pubes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's it. Melinda's house baby. She says, there's no foreign hairs or fibers on the body, but there were pubes in the carpet. Score, so running DNA Now she died from strangulation. Bummer. She died thirty four hours before she was found. She was also punched in the face. Like the first victim, the new one was not sexually assaulted, but her butthole was glued shut. Like what, Like, Kara, how much of this episode's in the true case? Not that's not in it? Okay, because who came up? Like I think the writer of this needs to be put on a watch. I don't trust this motherfucker. You're crazy gluing buttholes and that's not part of the real crime.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like we already did the lips being glued shut, which I was like horrific, Like there's something just horrible about that. And then you're like, can we add something else? How can we up it? Glue their butthole shut as well? Yeap, let's glue the butthole shot. Like what are we talking about?
Speaker 2: My god? Okay, So anyways, it's just upsetting to think someone is going through something like that. So and then.
Speaker 1: Hopefully the butthole was glued shot postmortem. I just have to say that I'm hoping that that was a postmortem.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, you know the answer and Edma Linda goes it took an acetone levage to get the scope in. Should I have left that detail out? Like I don't know? Or should I let the audience know that she said that. I so levage is underline and I spelled it right from the episode. Levage is something that they invented. But I know exactly what she means. But oh god, Okay, So he's gluing a holes shut, he's torturing hot water. They better find the sicko and fast. Sailor is shocked that there's no rape, so that means probably his dicked in work, and that's what leads to like more rage. So like anytime he can't rape, there's more anger involved because his dick sucks. And then two women have nothing in common, like except they do live in Harlem, and then in walks in this guy, Victor Moran, Detective Rictor Moran for major crimes, and he lists sophomore parts of the city. Okay, he's just like blah blah blah blah, and there are more and he has a flash drive and he's like, here's you know, the info hogtie all mouse glued shut like this is it? Two raped, but not all of them and the ones that not raped all have a butthole like this is like glued like this is a thing, a pattern, Victor Moran so and basically, you know, he has to debase these people, humiliate them, whether he rapes them or not. And he's being helpful informative, and Finn's like, well, why didn't you say anything sooner? And it's like, I don't know. He came in pretty helpful, but he goes, uh, well, sorry, it took me, like, you know, second to get it together. And then he goes because it's all different, like the first one used her own belt, second one scarves, third rope he brought, so there's always a turn. And then Stabler goes, well, when I looked all this up in the system, I didn't find it. Now we hate victim Ran. He goes, I blocked it. And then they go, oh, you're a glory hog. So he like blocked people being able to get information because he wanted to solve it. What the fuck? Yes?
Speaker 1: Bad, Yeah, it's bad and it it yeah, because why is that even an option? Why is there an option in the system that you can block information from other precincts finding it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, like he does know it's about them, but then it's like why clog And he goes, I've been working this for six months.
Speaker 3: I didn't want anybody in my way. Yeah okay, and he.
Speaker 2: Goes, you see every fifty five days now it's down to every nineteen. And Stadler's like, cool, now get lost. We got it from here and Major and he goes, Major Crime says it's mine, this is this is what we talked about last This is what we talk about. Why can't men be more like women? They're like, they're just always taught not to be feminine, and it's like, this would be a moment where I think women would go, oh, let's share information, let's get this.
Speaker 1: Let's get collab, let's get let's collab, let's throw it down.
Speaker 2: That's ice.
Speaker 3: We're gonna find this guy.
Speaker 1: Yes, girl, come over, bring wine, We're gonna figure this out.
Speaker 2: Truly, I'm gonna be talking about the way they fight over this case for about thirty five minutes, Like I am so livid at how much time, and and not only that, Craigan's gonna be He's in his own fight. So basically, then the morang goes, well, my boss is talking to your boss. Mature, mature. So Cragan's in with the chief of D's and Craigan goes, no, it's mine, my squad can do it. How dare you? You get promoted? And the first thing you do is me over my desk and so and so. Then they waste more time fighting who gets it? Munch is there, and finally Finn is like, can we get a suspect profile? Then? And he goes okay, okay, great. So then Moran goes, okay, I think Latino black mail late twenties, early thirties, Stablers poop Poo's. The infhone goes, yeah, yeah, you're not the only cop who spent time in Quantico and walks off, and it's just like okay, and then his response is, well, I'm the only cop working at Sport, so you blocked it. But if you didn't block it, they could have been working on it. So then Craigan and the chief of D's walk out yelling, and he's like, stay out of Moran's way and give him what he wants. And they're both bald. It's just like bald on bald crime. And then again even the bosses aren't like, Hi, hey, how about we all work together to solve this horrific serial killer who is like torturing women in Stabler gives him the box of info and is pissed and he's like, you're using these victims to get a gold star from your boss. And it's like, well, you're doing the same thing, but now it's gossip time. Stabler goes, I hear you don't know how to play nice with people, and he goes, I'm just better working alone, and then he goes, you're willing to risk more victims because you can't share. Come on, and he screams, this is my only priority. You have so many sex crimes. Go do your other work and give me privacy. Sabler walks to Finn, who has a witness. Okay, So Deborah Huggins lives one floor below, she works nights, and she found their card during while they were canvassing, and so Finn is going to keep Major Crimes busy while Stabler is going to go work the case alone and not involve him in it. So again like foolishness, Munch walks in and goes, fuck the pubes from the carpet aren't in the system. Maybe we can do a familial match, and Victor Moran goes, why are you asking me? Just go do it, and mons like geez okay, yes sir, and Finn hates him too. In Major Crimes, by the way, it is an actor named Delroy Lindo, and so Victor gets very America's next top model, and he goes, I'm trying to catch a killer, not make friends, and then Finn says, by yourself and Vic asks, you think I'm out of line, and then this is more ice than Finn. He goes from the minute you got here, and so I hope, since you know, I hope he learns something. This is a mess. So they go see Debrah and she's like, I think I might have seen the killer. I saw a guy waiting for the elevator. He was in a maintenance uniform but no company name, and so that gave me alarm bells. He was black, twenties, lanky, and then in the elevator, she also noticed no toolbox. So she got Karen with him and then started asking questions and he wouldn't answer them, and she hurried into her apartment. She's gonna sit with a sketch artist and get it going. So now immediately we get a phone call. That's someone that looks like the sketch is getting chased by a group of people and they look like they're out for blood, and this is all moving very fast. He's getting beat up. Finn and Stabler arrive at the scene. They like rip people off of him, and then he looks he looks like the picture and the guy that's in charge of the mob beating him up is named Peanut, which is a fun detail.
Speaker 3: I love that. I love Peanut.
Speaker 2: It's like the person who wrote this, I was pissed about the glued butthole, but I'm back in with the peanut. Yeah, you got me with Peanut.
Speaker 1: This reminded me of Richard Ramirez, how like a random like crew of people in the neighborhood just chased him down.
Speaker 2: That's how he got caught. Like, I love that the neighborhood. Baby, don't fuck with us. So basically, Peanut's like, yeah, we recognize him from the news. We were all playing basketball. He was going into the building where my granny lived, and then they see he has lock picks on him and they're gonna put him in lock up, and he you know, and he thinks but he thinks the cops. He goes like, thanks for saving my life, and Stabler goes, I don't even know if I'm happy about this, and the guy gets confused, like what. So we're in cement room bars and he's so beat up, and they think it's him. They're being mean to him. They're really going out of him. He's like, I'm chill, this is chill. But then he slips and goes I always wear gloves. And then he asks for a lawyer. He goes, I'm getting a raw deal. He starts crying, and Finn does the classic oh you think this is a raw deal, You're gonna get it raw in prison. You're gonna get raped. He's crying. He's like, we're gonna fucking rape you in prison. They're gonna throw the table like there. I hate when they do. Yeah, I hate that tactic. And then you know, so then the guy peas himself. He's so scared and I'm like, it's not our guy. Okay. So then they come out and Craigan's like, what the fuck was that? And they're like, well, social workers said his biggest fear was prison, so we decided to pounce.
Speaker 3: On that lean up and he so fucked up.
Speaker 2: And then finally cabots there and the only one making sense a woman. She goes like that jellyfish of a person did not commit these brutal crimes, like come on, you're wasting my time. We need a murder kit or leave me the fuck alone, and then she leaves. Munch walks in and says that Chief of Dez is here and Granddaddy is mad. So then the squad comes out and he's yelling like, how dare you take this case? I told you you were off of it, and I wish Cabot was here to like help them work together. So the baldies fight, and then we get a reveal maybe why our friend has anger issues. Basically Victor Moran's kid is in the hospital and so you know you'd rather but yeah, be with your kid maybe at but whatever. So he's invested in the case because his life is too sad. So then they're you know, at the end of the day though, like the offices, the PPEs, what are the what are the name the PPOs? What is the p one? Pp one? Ppeah? Oh all one pp cares about his results at the end of the day, just get fucking results. And we have a guy in there, so let's go, you know, keep nailing this guy. They go in. He's in the corner. He split his own thre wrote he was so scared of jail he decided to slit his own throat and then he said, I didn't mean to hurt anybody, and while he's falling into unconsciousness, and then Finn takes takes that as a confession. So Stabler is like, gonna visit the hospital where Marana is with his daughter, and she's been like this for five months. There's a car accident. She's twelve years old. It's very sad. He does a monologue, he's you know, he chokes up. She's supposed to have a life. And now Stabler sees like, maybe now that you know his wife is dead and his child is on a ventilator, that maybe they can work together. So Stabler says, solving this case won't bring your daughter back. Okay, what a dick, And Sailor's like, this case isn't about you. It's not about your family. You gotta you can't pull away from the squad. You need to work with people. We and you not getting help. The victims pay for it. He gets up and says I can do a good job, and Sailor goes, well, stop blaming everyone for your shitty situation. Yeah, how many things do you think you miss because you're in grief? And then he goes how many fresh eyes could have helped this? And he goes, Okay, okay, I'll we'll all work together. Phone rings another body. So that's a bummer because that means the suspect, which we knew was not. He pissed himself and slit his own throat. It's not the same guy that glues buttholes and tortures women. Okay, so the suspect they have is wrong, and uh oh, this time the woman is burned. So this is Sarah bral and Victor goes, well, you want to know why they he burned her, and we do. So what I didn't mention earlier was there was a leak to the press and that there was DNA found, So the press, we don't know who leaked the story. It's really fucked up, but basically that the cops had DNA from the Pubes was told on the news. And so now he burned the woman, So now there's no Pubes traumatic music. So the balls are chatting and it's confirmed. You know, they take a deep sigh. She was burned alive while he was in custody, and that's because of like the breathing, you know, like the contents wrongs and so so that's Melinda info. And but like, what did the suspect confess to then? And that was burglary. And then a dude was there and they fought and the victim died of a heart attack, so that's what he So this is a big scrub. This is a big scrub. But Victor defends him and finally he's like, all right, fine, now we'll work together. I thought the hospitals when they decided to work together, but I guess they needed another woman burned. So now they're going to work together. And Craigan goes, wow, you finally saw the light. And he goes, yeah, maybe, and Craigan goes, you're not a team player, Moran. You hold anything else back and I'll have your ass and then okay. It's like Moran's like hands up, all right, dude, Like I'm ready to work. I'm ready to work. Stabler has his thinking face on and just looking and looking and he sees something. So him and morand get Cooken. All victims, same age, but very racially socially and professionally and physically different all over the place, Like but what are the what are the similarities? Like what are the ones that he did not sexually assault? Like what's what's going on there? And so basically like one the Morgue photos, blonde, but she had a red hair, and then also like one of them, didn't have natural pubes, Like the pubes and the hair color didn't match, he didn't rape them, so and like one had fake tits and so basically he hates like fake tits, not natural colored hair stuff like that. So so that changes the profile, Moran says to over forty, you know, because he probably got into his psychosexual types when he hit puberty, which happened before plastic surgery was like so common and dyeing your hair and whatnot. So that's why his type. I mean, this is sick for them.
Speaker 1: Like they figure that they get to that shit real quick, like they're like, okay, never mind, move the age up, like they know everything about.
Speaker 2: This guy suddenly, yeah, just because he like likes the natural. But yeah, so this also means he's been doing it forever and he's been studying, and I bet he's like a true crime like junkie. And then Munch comes in with some DNA. So basically there's like three people with DNA that is shared with whoever this person is. So they go to one guy. He's yelling about child support and then he does have a brother, but the brother is dead so it can't be him. So then Munch also obviously does not like this. It's an invasion of privacy. We're bothering people, and Finn keeps saying there's six dead women. I don't give a shit. So then Victor and Stable are harassing a woman and she doesn't want to talk to the cops. But she has four brothers. She doesn't know where they are. Two are in school, one works for the airline, and one lives down south.
Speaker 1: So they also just fully bullied her, and we're like, tell us or we'll arrest you, like they just they.
Speaker 2: Really like or not being good cops here. No, And then someone in jail is also related to him, but he's like, well, for fifty dollars if you want info, fifty dollars, I need money in here, and Craige goes, damn, you're gonna like sell out your brother for fifty bucks, and he goes, well, if I thought he did it, I wouldn't do that. But I know he did it, so give me my fifty dollars. And then basically his brother, Tyrese is an active duty military. He's in Afghanistan. It's confirmed, and so he didn't Yeah, he got fifty bucks, so I'm happy for him. And the dead guy is confirmed as well, so it has to be one of these brothers. There are crow brothers. There's Mark or Currow who works for the airlines, Luke and North Carolina Farmer, and then the two others are not in school, ones in rehab and the other like, we can't find him, so we're like, it was probably this airline guy. We see the picture and then we realize. The squad realizes that in every crime scene photo there's fresh luggage in the photo. There is luggage in the corner of every single like of the crime scenes. And then they look in and some of the women had just come back from a trip. So then I look what he does for the airlines. He is a delivery man and he returns lost luggage. That's how he gets in. It's so crazy, Like my friend just moved into a new apartment and she doesn't have curtains yet and it faces another building which is like and a lot of people don't have curtains, And I was being like, do not always turn off your lights when you leave? Keep them guessing, like leave lights on? Don't always know, Like so no one knows your schedule, Like no one can know your schedule and she's like, you need to you need to stop. You need to watch less, you need to watch less. And now in this moment, it's like, yeah, like I would never allow an airline person into your apartment. No, I'll teck me when you get here.
Speaker 1: I'll meet you on the street, Like yeah, I mean no, we're not doing coming into my house.
Speaker 2: This is like the scariest fucking thing and it could be anyone. Oh my god. So okay, so this has me scared forever. Okay, he and then he is delivering things right now, he has a new victim. Like it's scary, it's upsetting, like he is in action. We need to fucking get to him. So he locks the door, he wheels it in, and she's like, oh yeah, put it in the bedroom.
Speaker 1: What She just walks in, turns her back on a stranger who's behind her, like crazy.
Speaker 2: And says, go put my suitcase into my bedroom. So he locks the door, he wheels it in. He's he's casual, he's having fun, casual chats like blah blah blah. She's blonde. He looks sneaky. He starts the attack and then Stable has him right away. The blonde woman's an undercover cop. Yeah, not a real victim, think fucking god, holy shit, you're done, bitch. They find everything they need in his van, everything he needs for the crime, and on his sheet all the female names are circled. He is awful. He is smirking. Maran like leaps at him and the dude flinches, but still the six smile, confidence silent. He knows not to talk to the cops. Maran of course, calls him a son of a bitch. And this dude is creepy. His name is Nelson Vesquez. He hasn't acted in like fifteen years, but what a performance like that? Or yeah, what a fucking freak. They have him in cement room bars. He's playing the game. He knows. He oh, I don't know these women. I don't I love women. Anyone that knows me would tell you that I love women. And then Maran ice cold, anybody that knows the real you is dead, and you know he's an asshole. He's playing games like oh, I feel bad for their families, and they're like ah, there, and then they start talking, right, they're trying to get is like dick hard, which is like a common threat. Yes, so they're like, ah, yeah, you like the hunt. The only time you feel excitement in your life, the only time you feel anything is that moment right before. And then she rejects you, and you get raged and punched people, and then they're helpless and bleeding and you tie them up and then he's like licking his lips and he's like, and that's when you know you can have him for as long as you want. And then they go, and then you look up at what you've done and you're pumped with power. You're so proud and you show it off with the poses and he goes, you don't know me, and then Stabler says, well, we will because we're searching your apartment. His face falls. We're going through your private things. How do you like that, mister Akurro And he says he wants a lawyer now, So shit's getting serious. Finn and Muncher at the house. It is clean, clean, clean as hell, and a lot of creepy books about forensics, transcripts from serial killer courtroom, Like, I don't know, I always like, I always want to be the person for this podcast that like reads the court documents and the FBI reports, and it's like I'm just too I don't know, phone, but honey, they're hard to read. I don't know how. I don't know how these lawyers do it. I don't know. I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't, I truly don't.
Speaker 1: As someone, my parents used to always be like, you're gonna be a lawyer when you grow up because you have to argue, and I'm like, no, not once I see what they have to do, like I can't, that's too much.
Speaker 3: The reading the cases. The font.
Speaker 1: It's the font honestly of the court cases that I'm like, immediately, this is I can't read it, like it's not going into my eyes.
Speaker 2: It's so bad. But yeah, So then Munch is so smart. He sees three frames hanging in this clean, clean, very precise home, but the wires are crossed at the top at the nail where they're hanging, and he goes, I'm sorry, like there's no fucking way it would be crooked, and he would allow that if it wasn't for a reason, they flipped the art over. It goes from bridges to bound, tied and gagged women. Okay, So now Jerry Ryan is his lawyer, and of course it's like poor and is legal. You can have porn. You can't connect the magazines to the crime. They're like, hello, pubes match, there's a link, babe, and cabots this ponytail. She's killing it and Petrovsky does not. She's like, how the six cases are one case? Like what are we doing here? But it applies. It works, like if you're guilty of one, you're guilty of all six. That's what they're saying, like they're so identical. And Jerry Ryan's like, listen, you know he used the bathroom. It happens pubes fly and it's like, okay, he went to the bathroom. There's not one print, but his pubes are everywhere, and she's quick, my client doesn't wash his hands all right? Then they fight back and forth, what's like, what is gonna happen? And Petrovsky does not like how cocky Jernaly Ryan is being like that the case won't go to trial, and she goes, how about an alibi? How about that? So the time of Casey's murder, there's a witness, the mom and the whole Bridge club that says that he was at her house and so if he didn't do this one, he didn't do all six isn't that what you said? Blah blah blah. He grins evilly and like she has to dismiss the case and it sucks, so we hate him. Stabler and Victor go talk to his mom and she works in a coffee and she's like, oh my god, I know it's about Mark. I'm sorry to say my son was with me. I know he belongs in prison. I've known this for a long time. She's like, he called me out of the blue, wanting to come over and there, and you know, she doesn't like to be alone with him because he's so scary, so she invited her bridge club over so she didn't have to hang out with him because he's tied a cat to a bust. Once he dropped another from a six floor walk up. She goes, he is a mistake mine or God's and she says he wouldn't leave and she said, like, ugh, it pains her, and he stayed the whole day and she's like, just wanted him to leave.
Speaker 3: She's like, he knows I don't like him, like he why was.
Speaker 2: He coming over?
Speaker 3: He knows I hate him?
Speaker 2: Like uh, And so that means he planned this, so like he plans everything he like learns, he reads, he's all the books, Like, what's going on? Something's going on? How can they get this guy? So we only know how she died because of Warner's d comp So like what if the hours are wrong? Like what if there's a mistake there? But Melinda doesn't make mistakes? So they're like, can can the decomposition have happened more rapidly? So they're brainstorming, brains storming, like how could they have gotten like how could he have fucked with the decomp and the timing and the alibi? They they know it's him and then their fate. Oh my god, the Kiln. She did ceramics, Casey did ceramics. What if the Kiln was used to do this? And I love a Kiln centric storyline. I don't know if I'm also should I not be doing the l Kiln? No?
Speaker 1: The reason this pocus, Yeah, the reason I suggested this episode is because my friend Jackie, who does ceramics, and the time I see her, she goes, when are you guys gonna do the Kiln episode?
Speaker 2: And I'm like, oh, yeah, we gotta do that one. So I put it on the list. Yeah to me, it says I forgot about the kiln, you know, like that's yeah, that's for her, probably sticks out as a memory. For me, it's, oh my god, this is the this is fucked, this is so fucked. Yeah. So they go back in there to do some and they're like, oh my god, the window is open, so what is going on here? And Cragan's like, but we weren't even onto him, Like how would he have known that this alibi was going to be needed in the window and the kiln? And he's like, well, he studies other cases, Like he was just prepared if he ever made a mistake. This is like his fucking life, right.
Speaker 1: And so but also how could he have how could he have found a victim with a kiln in her apartment, like when he has to go to people that have luggage that he's delivered, right.
Speaker 2: I think it was random and it was like an opportunity. It was like a chance of oppotunety of like oh fuck. But maybe he was always doing alibi, like we don't know what his journey has been. But also I was thinking, like he circled all the women's names, like how does he have to do a lot of deliveries in a date is he always do the last one? Does he look them up online? Like how does he choose? Is it in the moment? And then like how do you get the other ones? Or are you allowed to be late? Like I was, I am curious about like the scheduling of it as well. But anyways, so ugh so, but thrown out for one murder, it means walks on all there's no prince in the kiln? Like, how do we prove it? And Finn has an answer. The power company just confirmed that Casey Chapman's killawa hours doubled the day of her murder, So fuck you, alibi. He was with the mom on Sunday, killed her on Monday and then thought he got away with it, and so what we got him? So they go to the suitcase area in a rush and the guy goes what terrorism and they're like no, we're looking for Mark and so then he's making deliveries. Now, okay, let's say this guy was found not guilty. Like he's not even suspended for a week. I know, he doesn't miss a day of work, not even an internal investigation.
Speaker 1: They've tailed people for way less. This is a fucking serial killer. Had they've kept off uniformed officers on guys before like, it is kind of wild.
Speaker 3: I definitely clogged that.
Speaker 2: So they got to get to him. Faster's twelve women on the list, so they're trying to call him. He's not answering. They need to get to the women. Blondeberd and then they realized the order of the magazine art on his wall was blonde, brunette, redhead, blonde brunette, redhead, So who's a redhead? We need to find a redhead. So like Finn's looking up the women and then we have a redhead. And then so they catch a mid attack. She's crying, oh my god, can you believe the luck? Hopefully this is you know, before she's glued and so she's tied and naked, and Stabler covers her with a suit jacket and says, you're safe. Now what a gentleman, I tie her. Okay, but Moran starts like I would be so uncomfortable, like I just, oh my god, I'd be like, you can truly look in my pussy untimey, like untimy, Oh my god, I just do not like restraints in that way. Stress trust, stressful. So okay, So yeah, she's got Moran starts beating the ship of this guy and Stable's like, can you please stop? We cannot, like we need him in jail. So then okay, we got the guy. We got the guy. So now Stabler and Miran meet at the hospital Joys and surgery, and Miran goes, that's a good thing. And so the good news and a cura, you know, they talked and Racurro did confess, and he confessed to other crimes in the Dominican Republic, so it's a global serial killer. And then all of a sudden, Stabler realizes these organs are being taken out, they're being donated. His daughter is gone, so this is sad. So Stabler's like, this is sad, so but it is a good thing to help others. And I get that a second chance. Everyone needs one. Moran walks off with tears in his eyes. We want the best for him. And then Stabler watches him go, you know, like touch his daughter who's under a sheet, and he's haunted. And then the credits roll and that is Dick.
Speaker 3: Who it is a dark one.
Speaker 1: I mean, he blames he blames the serial killer also for what happened to his wife and kid, right, because he was. He was out working on the case, and that's when his wife got pissed and got in the car and they got into the accident. Right, So that's kind of why he does the like I care about this case more than you bullshit. But it's still crazy to be like, no one else can solve it a except for me. It's like a level of hubris that's hopefully now meeting Stabler, he's learned his lesson. But of course I don't think we ever see him back. I don't think Victor Marin ever comes back for like another collab.
Speaker 2: No, no, he doesn't. But he works, he's working, he's working. I like, yes, okay, let's get into this.
Speaker 1: There were a few crimes like listed as what this could be about. I didn't really think some of the other ones fit some of them. One of them was about like a guy who was a serial killer I believe in the Chicago area. But he had like a he had like a forced confession from the cops, which I think is more along the storyline of what happened to the guy that Peanut kicked the shit out of. So I'm not really focusing on that one for today. I'm going to focus on Francisco Dea cis Pereira, the Park Maniac. I will start by saying, this man is Brazilian. These crimes took place in Brazil, and it is extremely hard to find any English resources about this case. So I watched a four part Amazon Prime series called The Park Maniac colon the Untold Story. It's all the people that it was produced in Portuguese. But then when I'm watching it, I'm hearing the English dubbing. They've literally hired a different actor for every person. It feels like AI did the voice over. The translations are bad, the words are like wrong to the subtitles. At times, it seems like some of the vo people are like laughing when they're saying something serious, like they're being like and then they found a dead body and you're like, oh my god, why. It's just it's a wild experience to watch, like a docu series that you could tell if you were watching it in Portuguese is probably very well done and serious and it's modern. I think it came out in like twenty twenty one, but the vo of it all, it's like, oh my god, this is it was like making my head spin.
Speaker 3: So I'm going with what I could find on this case.
Speaker 1: It's not it's not insanely similar, but I can kind of see where people think that this is drawn from. But so this all takes place in South Powlo, Brazil, which in the late nineties, I guess, there was like an epidemic of violence, like fifteen homicides a day, like it's just really a brutal time in that city. On July fourth of nineteen ninety eight, two young female victims are discovered in a state park that's literally just called Parque Dostado, which is you know, means state park outside of South Parlo, Paolo. It's or it's on the outskirts of South Parlow and it's not a very trafficked park, Like it's very dense. There's hiking trails, but you really have to know your way around to get in and out of there. They say, they start searching more areas of the woods, they find more bodies, and a couple of the bodies that they found had just been killed, and then they found other bodies of people who had been killed months earlier. So this is obviously somebody's like dumping spot. One of the victims was Selma Ferreira Kia spot just reminds me of Decks. Sure, I know, Oh yeah, I can't think of anything. Oh the New Dexters are you watching? I haven't got a chance.
Speaker 2: I watched two or three. I just can't. It's not the actor that plays Young Angel is doing an incredible job. It is on point, Christian slan Christian Slater. I I just am not feeling and I'm realiter in it, like young right, the young dad, like Dexter's dad.
Speaker 1: That's really but he's alive, not coming to him in dreams, which.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so the whole thing is like Dexter is a teen Okay, Dexter's a teen boy, and it's like and the sister, they're in high school or college.
Speaker 1: They're in college. He's in med school when it starts. Okay, so I forget when the dad died. Is the dad is Christian Slater alive or like ghosty.
Speaker 2: No, no, a lot. He's alive. Father. They're both at the police station right now together, like you see the origin and why he's try why he started bringing donuts like you kind of like seeah, so you're like he's in his twenties, he's trying to get it together, like he thought med school and like cutting people open would make him feel better, and it's not. And so it's his first kill. It's that.
Speaker 1: So it's like that's where we're at. Okay, I might still give it a spin, but I would love for you to give it a spin. And so the Ghost Angel, there's no, it's a narrator. So Michael Sea Hall is the narrator. Uh huh, that's how he's still involved, gotcha, gotcha?
Speaker 2: Yeah, let me let us know how you feel. I just have was not I'm not, and I'm a Dexter fanatic. Well, I thought they did a pretty good job with the I love new Blood, the new Blood, yeah, loved it, Like yeah, I wish it was continued with that young man and then Dexter's ghost dad or whatnot. And then like I don't know why that's not what it is true. I was into that kid. I like the park Ranger woman, like yeah, that villain that was so good. Like the story. I like loved new Blood. That's why I was, you know, that's why it's like upset.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, back to our little Brazilian Dexter.
Speaker 2: Oh but you meet young like the Emmy like like the perverse the perverse, Like it's like a young pervert.
Speaker 1: I love that. That's why I want to see it. I also kind of want to see what new young deb is.
Speaker 2: Like a young Angel is a I mean he well, it's such I don't want to say impersonation because that's like really it's like truly mannerisms, language cadence, like kills it. Yeah, I'm impressed. Yeah, and the wardrobe of like the Young Angel is really impressive. Okay.
Speaker 1: Famously Old Angel married to Liza Colonzias from The Bear All These Connects, who was also in the SVU. Okay, so they're finding all these bodies. One of the victims is Selma Ferrera Kiros, who was an eighteen year old whose family had been searching for her since she had gone missing like the day before, and they had actually received they had paged her and then they got calls back from a person that was like I need this much money to give her back to you, and they were like, let us talk to her, and he was like no, and then he would hang up and he would call back, but then he just they stopped hearing from him. So she was one of the victims they found it was very hard to find a comprehensive list of all the victims, like of all nine of them. But another victim was Rosa Alves Netta, who was twenty one. Raquel Mota Rodriguez, twenty three, was found separately in the park months earlier. They didn't connect it as a you want to talk about the cops fucking up, they didn't. There's cop fuck ups all over this. They didn't connect this death to these other deaths immediately because even though she was found in her underwear, face down in the dirt, the coroner said her death was from natural causes. So she was just in the in the woods, you know, naked, and ended up with her face in the dirt.
Speaker 3: She had, you know, a natural death that way.
Speaker 1: So Raquel's cousin got a call from Raquel saying, Oh, I met this guy named Chico. He's gonna he's actually a talent scout. He's gonna take pictures of me for modeling. And her cousin's like, don't do that. But she went and then other women came forward after saying that they'd run in you know that happened with my best friends to DM. This was Chicago days, so you know, pre twenty fourteen. But like someone was like, I want to take photos of you, so we went. We met in a public but but I went with her to watch. So I just like stood on the side and was watching. So nothing like that. I'm glad you went, Jesus. But like a lot of women came forward saying, oh, yes, I've had a run in with this guy who also approached me and said he was a modeling scout, blah blah blah to a few. Other victims were Michelle Dos Santos Martinez aged twenty e Los Angelo Francisco da Silva twenty one, Patricia Gonsalvez Marino, twenty four and so all these bodies in this remote park were like, oh, yeah, there's a serial killer on the loose. And so a Brazilian magazine called Veja broke the story and they started calling the killer the park maniac or the State park maniac or also he had the nickname Modo Boy. All the bodies were naked, lying face down with their legs spread, so similar from the episode in the sense that it's a lot of bodies, it's a lot of women the same age, same profile, and that they were sort of posed after death.
Speaker 3: There was no butthole glue. They were not hogtied.
Speaker 1: It was not quite as a graphic, but still horrific. Police subsequently added those other victims that they had found in that area in January in May of the same year, so the total bodies found in the park was eight eight bodies. Police investigating spoke to many women who had a similar account of you know, talking to this modeling scout and wanting to take their photo.
Speaker 3: So by mid July, between all the witness sketches and.
Speaker 1: An anonymous tip, police began searching for Francisco dea sis Pereira, who was a thirty one year old motorcycle courier, hence the moto boy nickname.
Speaker 3: That's why he got that nickname.
Speaker 1: So they're looking for him in Brazil frantically for like three weeks, and then on August fourth, nineteen ninety eight, he was arrested, I guess on the border of like Brazil Argentina. When they arrest him, he is wearing a Boston Bruins hockey jersey.
Speaker 3: It's wild.
Speaker 1: After his arrest, he's almost lynched by a mob of two hundred, which is seems like a peanut reference as authorities transported him to a maximum security prison, they said that obviously he was going to be held in solitary confinement because he would have definitely been killed by other prisoners if he'd been allowed in gen Pop. He had also briefly gone to Argentina and passed through several police checkpoints without being recognized at all, even though his picture's out there, there's this man hunt for him.
Speaker 3: He's going through checkpoints, no one's noticing him.
Speaker 1: It's like we hear this about this all the time, like the Yorkshire Ripper, Like he was brought in like five times for questioning.
Speaker 3: They never got they never know was him.
Speaker 1: Police found also eventually linked him conclusively to the victims, in that they found a partially burned ID card in a clog toilet at his job, and it is the ID card of Selma Ferrera Cairos, who was one of his victims, and so he had tried to like flush a bunch of like evidence down the toilet. Perea initially denied being a murderer and told them you have to prove it, and then that phrase became like a headline on all these papers in Brazil, like you got to prove it, but then literally like the three days later, after he was arrested on August seventh, he confessed to killing nine women. They eight from the park, as well as nineteen year old is Adora Frankel who had gone missing. And don't worry, he had actually been picked up as a suspect in her disappearance because he had forged checks from her. And he literally went into police precincts like a handful of times to talk about this girl's disappearance. And he just told them, oh, yeah, like we dated, That's why I had the checks, and they believed him, and off he went, and he's like the one that killed her. And so after he was arrested, he led them to her remains. And her dad had been very vocal in the press being like, help find my daughter. Where like she was more a lot of the other women were not from She was from more of a middle to upper class background, so her father had more connections and like was on the TV constantly being like, help me find Isidora, Like this is not like her, blah blah blah. And she had gone to South Pallo to take a course to become a flight attendant. So I don't know if that's connected at all to the baggage man. But like they had been looking for her for months, and they had the guy was coming in to talk to them all the time. So after his arrest, Yeah, he led to her remains and he had doused her body in gasoline and burned it three days after he had murdered her, So similar to that, I mean, but not while she was alive.
Speaker 3: As far as I read, it was a post.
Speaker 1: Mortem burning, so that's at least like a silver lining for the victim. He also told them there was a tenth body of a fifteen year old girl and tried to like lead them to it, but he couldn't find it. And he testified about each killing in detail and said he may have lost count of how.
Speaker 3: Many women that he killed.
Speaker 1: So that same magazine, Veja ran a cover story that was with the with the headline it was me, and they somehow had all these transcripts of his conversations with his lawyer and his police and police, and everyone's like, that's weird. How did this magazine get all this information? So it felt like it was a leak or someone in there was talking to the magazine. But that was apparently that magazine was like sold out. This story was like rocking Sapaolo, Like everyone is wanting to read about this guy. He confessed to using shoelaces to strangle his victims after sexually assaulting them. He targeted women between the ages of eighteen and twenty four. He was apparently from the Ted Bundy school. He was very charming. He got girls to trust him very quickly. He complimented them on their looks and how they're going to be beautiful models. One day and a few victims that are in this documentary that I watched, they managed to escape him and like a bunch some of them were like I was in the woods with him, like we got there, and they all say that he transformed from this nice, charming guy into a monster, like as soon as he got into the woods, like he just like fully was juckal and Hyde when he got into the woods. One woman who was named Sandra Alivera, she was nineteen when he, you know, did this model thing. Got her to the woods and she was like he had me on the ground and was pulling my pants down and was like about to rape me, and I told him I had HIV and that saved her because he ended up just tying her to a tree naked and leaving her there, and she went to the cops, and she went to the press, but like nothing came of it. And like a lot of what they were saying too, is that at the beginning, when these women escaped him, they were going to their local precincts and the city's so huge, they're not all talking to each other. So maybe that's also where some of the like, you know, Delroy Lindo's character versus Stabler, like they're not communicating the right way. Otherwise they would have connected a lot earlier. That this was like a fucking cereal And so apparently, yes, once he lured them into the state park, he became really violent, biting, strangling, mutilating the victims, and he told authorities that he was about to start eating his victims if his six month killing spree hadn't come to an end, like he was like, my next move was to start cannibalizing. So crazy, he told a judge Jose ruy borgas Borgos, I was possessed by an evil force. Quote he said he had a Jekyl and Hide thing going on and that the bad side took over. He said quote, I am a person with a good and bad personality. Sometimes I am not able to dominate this dark side. I pray, I pray, but I cannot resist. And then I chase after women. I wish that they would not go with me into the park, that they would run away. End quote. His lawyers went for an insanity defense, hoping for a lighter sentence than the thirty years in prison, which is the maximum maximum sentence under Brazilian law, and one of his lawyers, Maria Elisa Muonhaals, told reporters, my client is guilty, but my client is sick. And then like some background on him. As a child, he was molested by a family member, a female family member, and then as a young man he was apparently coerced into homosexual relationships. Again, this is like a lot of this stuff is very hard to find. I found some of this on the Wikipedia entry for him, and it's like not credited, but like there is barely anything in English about this and so and then apparently what it says at one point a quote unquote goth Man tried to rip Francisco's penis off, and so he had a fear of losing his penis as well as pain during sexual activity from that that encounter. So I don't know if that's what turned him into this person. I'm sure the trauma also of the of the being molested as a young child was contributed to that. He had also previously been accused of rape. In the documentary they talked about a woman that he had tried to sexually assault and he was under suspicion for the you know Isidora disappearance. But also a lot of the women who escaped this guy said they reported it to the police, and the police barely paid attention. They said, they got a lot of well what were you wearing? What is this what you were wearing? Is this what you look like? Like a lot of that very old school, I hope way of talking about victims. And then again, like I said before, the police precincts are not integrated and as connected as they are today, I guess, and so a lot of the information like just did not get passed.
Speaker 3: And so the sky was at it for six months.
Speaker 1: On December eighteenth, Okay, so he does go to jail. He goes to a psychiatric prison facility. On December eighteenth, two thousand, a bunch of inmates tried to kill him during a prison riot. Four inmates died, but he did survive and they moved him to another psychiatric facility. He did get the maximum sentence, but guys, the maximum sentence in Brazil is thirty years and he's been in jail since ninety eight, which means he's getting out in twenty twenty eight.
Speaker 3: In three years.
Speaker 2: Oh, how is he going to be.
Speaker 1: He'll be sixty one. It's not even that old. No, he can still commit crimes.
Speaker 2: I gotta keep him in or I gotta do something supervised, probate as some I can't even believe this guy's getting out.
Speaker 1: I know, I don't know what, Like, that's just their deal, Like thirty years is what you do, so like, and he was thirty one when he committed the crime, so he'll be yeah, early sixties, so yiker. Anyway, if you want to see something truly bizarre, please go watch this Amazon doc and listen to all these people's voices, because you're like, you're watching the people speak and you're like, this looks like a normal person that's probably giving a very thoughtful account of what happened, and then the voiceover does not match it. At all, like it's all very crazy, but seems like it's one of the wildest crime cereals that Brazil has seen. So definitely a huge case there. And I don't know why we have not been more. I feel like we do focus on crimes in other countries, but maybe because so much of the reporting was not in English. I think we're very obsessed with like British killers as well in other English speaking countries, but Canada, a lot of Canada, but we don't get as much of the Brazil coverage anyway. That is the story of Francisco deaces Perira. No butt glue but a pretty horrific killer.
Speaker 2: I can't believe he's gonna get out.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 2: Nuts. Well, I guess we'll tell you what we've learned, which is no one will ever return my suitcase. However, I'll come to the airport. Thinks, yeah, you could just hold it, think you yes? And also never go with a modeling scout to a second location. Oh my god.
Speaker 3: But yeah, we'll get into it.
Speaker 1: Let's do a post mortem. So no guests today, so we can just dive right into our post mortem. But I did want to point out we did not mention in this episode that Marishka's not in it, and according to the factoids, it's because she got a lung injury doing Wildlife, which was the episode before. So you know, our queen was down and out, uh, and that's why she's not in this episode. That's why they brought into I guess that's why they brought into No, they obviously knew Delroy Lindo was coming in or they didn't bring him in like a pinch hitter.
Speaker 2: But yeah, but like I'm trying to think of that episode and what could have happened to her line? You know, it's kind of like one of those have you seen the trend where they'll show an artist, like a like a musician, like dancing crazy and they're like, there is no song, but this person has to be moving like that.
Speaker 1: And that's how I feel with this. It's like, Mushka, what did you what happened? I know, I'm like, when you that's always the episode for me? Are you ready for me?
Speaker 2: Daddy?
Speaker 3: That's always that episode?
Speaker 1: So I don't think that any of that, Uh, snuggling with Maloney topless gave her a lung injury?
Speaker 3: Did she wrestle to get a gibbet.
Speaker 1: Oh there's a whole scene where they're running after the different animal guys and like sacking them, aren't they Maybe it was that because they're like, yeah, like all the guys that are you know, trading tigers and gibbons and all that. Anyway, that's wildlife. This is baggage. What a fucking terrifying episode.
Speaker 2: This is one of the worst of their I would put this on top with charisma, like, but for me, these are always worse because I can see myself, like I know that I'm not gonna be in a religious child's pregnation incest cult, like I'm past my prime, Like I don't. I don't think that's gonna happen for me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you aged out on a child cult.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry to say, yeah, but but this is like these are my number one fears being tortured by a man, and no worry out like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, really yeah, it's it's it's really awful.
Speaker 1: I mean, like there are some episodes that are truly this isn't haunt, This isn't the Haunting Hall of Fame, Like this is.
Speaker 2: Awful, Like and they zoom in. They want you haunted. They want to haunt it. They zoom in on her open eyelids, they zoom in on the bruises, the and just the tying. I'm kind of like we should check the motive of them who wrote this, Like no one needed to be tied that that accurate.
Speaker 1: Glued buttholes like the hog time we've seen before. The glued oles were like a new level. But listen, they also very much skimped over. Like why the guy like he we get he's like a psycho, he's always been like that, his mom doesn't like him or whatever, but like, was he abused?
Speaker 3: Like what makes him?
Speaker 1: Also he's obsessed with them being natural, Like he doesn't even attack the he doesn't even sexually assault the ones that are have dyed hair or fake boobs or anything. What's that company? He never says any of that in his like tit for tat with the cops.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: It felt like there were some unanswered questions about this fucking guy's pathology.
Speaker 2: But well, yeah, because they work together, we would have gotten more pathology if Maloney didn't go, ah, yeah, you're not the only guy who's been to Quantico.
Speaker 3: It's like, okay, cool and story bro.
Speaker 1: I mean The lesson is also like, why would you ever let a baggage delivery person come into your house and turn your back on that and let them go into your bedroom with a bag? No?
Speaker 3: Uh, I think you need to.
Speaker 2: No, but even like downstairs, like like but SV is eventually going to ruin my life fully, but like actually, but I did love how this worked out. So I'm walking, I'm doing other things. I get a call and it's Amazon and the dude's just like yo, no, one's answering, like, I have your package. I go fuck. I'm like I could be there in fifteen minutes. He goes, all right, I'll be on the block, like you'll you can get your package. So then I get it and he goes, I have another. He goes, which one's yours? I tell him my full address. Now he's looking at me and he knows my apartment. He knows yeah yeah, And immediately I go, uh oh baggage, like I did? I go because then he goes, wait, I have another package for your building. Will you take it for me? And I go yeah. So then like I he scans stuff. I go, thank you so much for call. What was the package that I couldn't wait? For beads. You're gonna get murder for bees. It's like I gotta make well because I'm yeah, so beides. I'm surprised they called you.
Speaker 1: When did they call? They never call me. I mean I have a porch. They just like leave it there. I guess, yeah, no one.
Speaker 2: But the thing is, I you know, I'm kind of like my building is resident buzzer in like I am home. Like when I'm home, they know I'll buzzem in, so like yeah, because I usually I do have something whether it's like I don't know right now, I don't know, like for I'm just home and they usually buzz for me. I get everyone's packages into this building. I don't think they know how much? What is it? Uh an? What does what do they say about stay at home moms? Unpaid labor, yes, unpaid labor yep, the mental load. I am buzzing this building in. No. I think it's like annoying for them to have to redo it. Maybe they I mean, I'm sure they get punished like they're working for an evil lord. Like so I'm sure like if they have to go back or it goes back to the warehouse, like it's just like a nightmare for them, so they would rather be like where Yeah that makes sense, And I happened to be close to enough and I'm happy to I hope I help end their day early, like I don't know, yeah, but be but yeah, just be careful everybody like but yeah, so like him like now, no, I mean he was like a young man. I don't think he's gonna like come in here. But immediately I'm like standing with my package as he takes a photo to send to Amazon with my full address as like a confirmation of delivery. I'm like, ah, like it's so crazy, got it? Call me? You know my name, you know.
Speaker 3: My number, you know my address.
Speaker 2: I'm also not signing my Luigi letters with my full name, just my initials. But it's like the prison has my full address, like if they want, you know what I mean, Yeah, oh my gosh. All right, well but yeah, wild one, a wild one. Hope you guys can sleep okay. After watching Baggage, I mean, now I understand the people that just listen to us talk about it and not Yeah, this one was I mean, this was another one where the real crime is fucked up too. I mean, how many people did he fucking torture and kill, Like, yeah.
Speaker 1: This one actually made me google why do some people die with their eyes open? Because like the women in this were like and what is it? It was literally like sometimes the muscles relax or something like that, like after you die, after you go into like a certain kind of like rigor or whatever. But yeah, like, how come sometimes people are dead like this and sometimes their eyes are wide open?
Speaker 3: Like it was?
Speaker 1: It was not clear to me, but I think I was just sort of scamming an AI response.
Speaker 3: I need to look more deeply into it, but.
Speaker 1: That's how much I was, Like, Wow, Svu, you really zoomed in on those glassy dead eyes, Like sure you didn't want to give us at a little glance at the buttthole too, Like why didn't you just show us that?
Speaker 2: Like will you imagine this show not on network television?
Speaker 3: Oh my god?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it would be like watching the movie or something like every week, like it would be oh boy.
Speaker 3: But let's uh, we can. We can move on to our what would Sister Peg do?
Speaker 1: That's our weekly segment where we direct you guys towards usually an article, a book, a documentary, an organization, something that ends more involved with what we talked about in today's episode, but I thought it would be appropriate this week to point you towards a directory of displaced Black families from the fires. It's a directory of their gofundmes. There are obviously countless families who are in need of help and aftermouth of the fires, but it's been pointed out that a lot of gofundmes for people of color are slower to gain traction to meet their goals. So I would love if you guys are feeling like the urge to help people out in California, if you could take a look at this list. A lot of them are listed by how complete they are, so you can just go and check and you can help some of these Because just to be clear, Alta Dina, where one of the fires is, is the closest to me, and I know many people who live there, and it's also a historically black community, and so a lot of people that have lived there for decades have lost their homes, and so I would love for you guys to check out the link to donate, and those are going to be obviously in our show notes. We'll post those on our Instagram and then the Instagram story will live Forever in our WWSPD highlights on our Instagram page. We also no doubt you have heard of the firefighters who have been like absolute fucking godlike heroes in this whole situation, and many of them are incarcerated men who are fighting against these fires for the rumor is five dollars a day. We wanted to point people to the Anti Recidivism Coalition, specifically the ARC Firefighter Fund. There are nearly a thousand incarcerated firefighters currently fighting these fires in La so this is part of a voluntary program they do with the California Department of Corrections. These men and women earn between five dollars and eighty cents to ten dollars twenty first cents day working in twenty four hour shifts to save lives like they could be making at max ten bucks a day. Every dollar donated to the Firefighter Fund goes towards immediate needs like food and hygiene supplies, fire camp upgrades, and scholarship funds for when they are released. So you can also please feel free to donate to Anti Recidivism dot org slash Firefighter Fund and that will also be in our stories in our show notes.
Speaker 3: For your for your viewing. Ease, what am I talking about? Lisa? Pick pick it up?
Speaker 2: There's nothing to pick up. You know, as you talk you just think about Like I look up top, I'm like, we gotta be hopeful. But in the end, I'm like, the darkness is so deep.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's been a it's just a wild five ye just but like yeah, the like the prison system is a business.
Speaker 2: Like it's just like what the fuck? Like it is just you know, such a deep darkness but a lot of hopefulness. Yeah. If you can help someone, please this week. I think it's it's time to do it. Next week, please join us, we'll be doing Thought Criminal Season fifteen, episode twenty three. And as always, we're so lucky to have such incredible listeners. And if you've listened all the way to the end, you're sick, get a life.
Speaker 1: No, thank you, Thank you so much for you guys for listening. We love you.
Speaker 3: We'll see you next week. Bye.
Speaker 2: That's Messed Up as an exactly right production.
Speaker 1: If you have compliments you'd like to give us, or episodes you'd like us to cover, shoot us an email it That's messed uppod at gmail dot com.
Speaker 2: Follow the podcast on Instagram at That's Messed Up Pod and on Twitter at Messed Up Pod, and follow us personally at Kara Klank and at Glitter Cheese.
Speaker 1: As always, please see our show notes for sources and more information.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much to our senior producer Casey O'Brien and our associate producer Christina Chamberlain, and to.
Speaker 1: Our mixer John Bradley and our guest booker Patrick Cottner.
Speaker 2: And to Henry Kaperski for our theme song and Carly Jean Andrews for our artwork.
Speaker 1: Thank you to our executive producers Georgia Hardstart, Karen Kilgarriff, Daniel Kramer, and everybody at Exactly Right Media.
Speaker 2: Dun dun