Speaker 1: The volume. The everts NBA Cup is here, and you can win big getting in on the action at DraftKings Sportsbook, an official sports betting partner of the NBA. All thirty teams split into six groups every Tuesday and Friday, playing for the right to advance in the single elimination in season tourney culminating in the NBA Cup Championship in Vegas. Get behind your favorite players and the prop bets you can make on DraftKings, the best place to bet NBA player props. Ready to place your first bet, try betting on something simple like picking how many points your favorite player will have. Go to the DraftKings Sportsbook app and make your pick. The current favorite to win the NBA Cup is Boston at plus four to twenty five, with the Cleveland Cavaliers in second place at plus eight point fifty. First time, here's something special just for you new DraftKings customers. Bet five dollars to get two hundred dollars in bonus bets. Instantly score big with Draft Kings Sportsbook. Every point Counts. Download the Draft Kings Sportsbook gap and use code hoops that's code hoops hoops for new customers to get two hundred dollars in bonus bets when you bet just five bucks only on DraftKings. The Crown is yours. Gambling problem called one eight hundred Gambler New York Call eight seven seven eight hope and why, or text hope and why to four six seven three sixty nine. Connecticut Help is available for problem gambling. Call eight eight eight seven eight nine seven seven seven seven or visit CCPG dot org. Please play responsibly on behalf of Boothill Casino and resort in Kansas twenty one plus. Age and eligibility varies by jurisdiction void in Ontario. Bonus bets expire one hundred and sixty eight hours after issuance. For additional terms and responsible gaming resources, see dkang dot co slash b ball. All right, welcome to hops tonight. You're at the volume. Happy Wednesday, everybody. All of you guys are having a great week. Well. The Cleveland Cavaliers have been the biggest surprise of this NBA season so far, can continuing their undefeated streak with a win in Chicago. Very fascinating game. Found themselves down in the third quarter, but an all bench run without a center with a zone look brings them back into the game, and then the starters come in and finish off the Bulls and keep the undefeated streak alive. I can think of nobody better to do a deep dive on the Cleveland Cavaliers. I'll admit I'm just a little bit of a skeptic still, and I need Carter to help me understand this team on a deeper level. Help you guys understand this team on a deeper level and explain to us how they are kicking everybody's ass.
Speaker 2: First of all, Carter, how are you, man?
Speaker 3: I'm doing good. You know, obviously this is I was just telling your producer right before we started that we've officially hit the part of the Cavs season where my normy, non basketball obsessive friends are starting to text me and we're like, dude, you seeing this like it's been you know, obviously. You know, only eight teams in NBA history have started twelve and zero. They have a very very good chance with their upcoming schedule with a couple of rest advantage games, They're only rest advantage games of the first half of the season are happening this week to maybe extend that up to thirteen fourteen fifteen, going into a matchup in Boston that will be on national TV. So man, it's the good times have been rolling. That's for damn sure.
Speaker 1: How is it like cautious optimism or is it like reckless optimism?
Speaker 3: It's full more just celebration and fun. You know, I think, you know, these last two, I think it's actually moving into I think even maybe for the team, into like the weight of the streak definitely is starting to get real and like now, you know, you start seven and zero and you're like maybe a little up against it. In your eighth game you go whatever, you know, but now it's like, we got to beat the Nets, man, So it's actually I feel like splipping almost more to stress, you know, Dari know, Darius Garland drops an F bomb post game, like, man, that was a big effing win against the Nets, because it's like, I think the guys don't want to lose the streak either, you know, they're having so much fun. So I think it's actually gone from like like you know, cautious fun to unbridled celebration to like almost moving towards angst because you just want to keep it going. But but no, it's been I mean talk about a ten out of ten start of the year.
Speaker 1: Well, I I the one time I personally rooted for a team that was on a long win streak was the twenty thirteen Miami Heat. And it's funny, I literally was thinking about that this morning when I was watching the game. Where it's like you find out pretty quickly when you're on that kind of winning streak that like everyone's a little feisty, and you're getting everyone's best bet because they want to be their best shot, because they're the team that wants to knock you off. And like the NBA right now is in just even a more substantial tougher place than it was back in twenty thirteen. Like here's the thing, Like even in the Eastern Conference, there are they're they the middle tier, the bottom tier of the East is certainly not as strong as the West, but there are still feisty teams in there.
Speaker 2: Chicago's feisty. Brooklyn is feisty.
Speaker 1: Brooklyn has got a lot of athleticism, They got a lot of guys that can create their own shots. And so it's like even on a night in a night out basis, it's just tougher and like you could feel that pressure last night. But one of the things that I that I think has stood out to me the most about this team, and I noticed it last night when you just saw the energy that was coming off of the bench, when Ty Jerome and George's Kniang and Dean Wade and Karis Lavert and was a Merrill was the fifth and that guy that lineup that went on that run. There's an energy. There's this thing that happens when a team really starts to rack up wins where you can tell they get addicted to the feeling and then it almost permeates throughout the whole roster with this like unbelievable commitment to winning basketball because everyone's addicted to it, and like that is when you really start to get into that special territory. So, like, here's the thing I think the biggest story of this team. Obviously, there's so much more going on. There's a lot of different guys that are playing better than they did last year. There's a lot of like different dynamics at play. But to me, the story of this team is Kenny Atkinson optimizing the roster and getting another level of buying down the roster in terms of just the attention to detail in a possession by possession basis. So tell us about what the experience has been going from JB. Bickerstaff to Kenny Atkinson.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, I got a chance to have like a twenty to thirty minute sit down with with Kenny Atkinson at the start of the season, one on one, right, you know, at the end of camp, and you know, I was just so impressed by the guy. He was really you could tell that he had the right attitude, you know, in all of his kind of preseason availabilities. The guy spent so much time talking about all the stuff he'd learned from Steve Kerr, from Tylu and working on those staffs, and like, you know, I even said to him, was like, Kenny, like you're you're not like a new coach. Like normally, when when a coach is kind of moving into a new job, you know, gets a head coaching gig and they're talking about all their all their influences, all the people they've you know, been stealing ideas and learning from. It's normally like the kind of the thunder Keen that the new kid on the block coming in, Like, dude, you've been in the league like twenty twenty plus years at this point, Like what about like, you know, this kind of learning mentality has like why has that taken root? And like he just clearly has kind of he got fired in Brooklyn, you know, obviously a traumatic experience team and said like it was like, you know, I had like a bit of a y me, you know why I get Yeah, yeah, I mean I would certainly argue it was unfair, But instead of going into full victim mentality, he's like, what do I need to get better at as a as a coach and as a manager of personalities? And you know, going to Tyler and Steve Kerr, Like I cannot imagine two more different coaches on that spectrum, but two elite coaches in that, you know, in that in that various specific capacity, and like it just kind of feels like he came back a better coach than he was in Brooklyn. And I already thought he was a pretty darn good coach in Brooklyn, you know. And in terms of the ways he's impacting the team on the floor, they're running, man, they are second in transition points per possession and seventh and transition frequency. This is a team that we have been begging to kind of speed up over the last couple of years, you know, playing these two bigs. You know, this was a team that over the past couple of years have really let perfect be the enemy of good offensively. You know a lot of possessions where it's just swing, swing, and then they get a pretty good advantage and then they drive and kick again, and then and all of a sudden, there's three seconds left on the shot clock, and every now and again you'll still see that slip through. But this is just a much more decisive offense. Like, yeah, they're running in transition, but they're also just getting shots up faster in the half they're getting they are you know, a lot more possessions where the SHOT's going up at thirteen or fourteen because they just took the first pretty good shot that was available to them. A stat that I would have thought was a maybe a negative indicator about how the offense was going, that I actually have completely flipped on is I don't know if you know this, Jason. They're twenty ninth in pastes per game right now. This is a team that you know, and when you think about a team going on this offensive explosion where they're second in the league in offensive raid and going into that Chicago game last night for cleaning the last you'd be like, oh, man, you know, is it Are they playing Iso ball? Is this Joe Johnson reincarnated? And it's not that they are moving the ball, but they are just playing so much more decisively. They're playing with so much better tempo and they're getting they're capitalizing on the mismatches that they're that their pace is creating for them, even though they're twenty ninth in passes per game, sixth in points created by assist per game. So you know, there is there is there's passing just a pass, and then there's passing with decisiveness. And I really think that is the biggest change in terms of the tempo of you know how they've been playing so far.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so let's zoom in on the transition piece for just a second, and I do want to talk about the half court piece, because you're right, it is. It is a decisiveness. It's a quick action at the beginning of a possession to get an initial advantage and then it's like bang, bang, get a shot up. Everyone's making Because again, I always think this is funny when teams don't look to be aggressive on that initial advantage because it's like, what did you run the action for? You ran the action to get that advantage so that you can get a shot up like instead of to your to your point, letting perfect be the enemy of good, and then you end up with something worse at the end of the clock as you run into more of those issues. But the transition piece is interesting to me because you look at this roster and it's like Darius Garland speed guard, Donovan Mitchell, you know, like literally S tier athlete.
Speaker 2: Evan Mobley is one of the most mobile bigs in the league.
Speaker 1: Jared Allens is a lot bigger than he was when he was in Brooklyn, but he is still a very mobile big. You've got a lot of speed, and you have this defensive personnel that was certainly capable of getting the stops that you needed to get out and run.
Speaker 2: Was JB.
Speaker 1: Bickerstaff just not emphasizing it enough. Do you think it comes down to them forcing more turnovers? As Kenny Atkinson has leaned more into switching, do you think it's just been a point of emphasis, like, hey, dudes, let's get up and down the floor. Like, what was it like under JB. Bickerstaff where he felt like that was being a missed opportunity.
Speaker 3: You know, it's hard to say, man, because you know, this is where like not being in the actual room it makes it so hard because all of the public facing information we had was that JB's coaching staff was asking them to run. He was asking them to get into their sets quicker. You know, you'd see, even anecdotally, you'd see them kind of walking the ball up after an inbound and he'd be clapping on the sideline like go, go go, Like so you know, who knows if it is the message, the message, the messenger, the personnel you know, you know, or or you know, how they were, how they were emphasizing it. That was the change, you know, I asked, you know, I asked Kenny in my one on one I'm like, hey, everyone talks about it in the pace of how do you actually do it? Like what what? Because you know, that's like the staple of every off season and you know, you see reporting that all through camp they were running with an eighteen second shot clock. Oh wow, you know, or at least during significant port parts of their scrimmage, you know, and like, so, I don't know if the message is the same or like Kenny just tweaked it in a way that the guys were able to hear it better, or if it was some of those things in practice where we're like, hey, you actually just don't get twenty four seconds during the scrimmage, you only get eighteen. You know, those are the kind of things that I think it's a big alchemical reaction in the end that like led to whatever got them up the mountain got them up the mountain. Like do I think think that it's definitely something Kenny values more than JB valued. Yes, But like I do kind of feel the instinct to defend JB a little bit. Who by the way, I think Pistons are playing really good basketball right now because a lot of a lot of Cavs fans kind of have the instantly aw see, all you had to do was ask him to run. I'm like, dude, he asked him, Like he definitely was asking him to go a little faster and get into their sets. But you know, I think it's I think it's you know, been a column A, been a column B, and the outcome is they're running.
Speaker 1: Well, you know how it goes sometimes like your your wife says something to you and you don't actually listen, but then someone else says it to you and then you do. Sometimes you just need to a different voice.
Speaker 3: I'm hearing this they had, They've been hearing the same guy for five years exact. A new guy comes in and says it five percent different. And I wouldn't be surprised if JB turned on Calves tape and was like, come on, I guart you curious. Is really shooting threes Darius is? Darius Is three point rate is up nine percent year over year, And literally after every game, JB would be like, yeah, you just got to shoot more threes. We were asking him to shoot more threes, and then all of a sudden he is. So you know, there's I'm sure there's a little bit of that play in the bigger staff household.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a difference between like, like, to me, as someone who's rooted for the Lakers over the last few years, going from Frank Vogel to Darvin Ham was like, we just need a different voice. It's different than like Darvin Ham to JJ, where it's like this guy's actually incompetent and we need to make a change like that is a very different type of transition. Like I literally literally just felt like the guys like were just done with Frank. Frank had been their coach for several years. They just needed to change, Like I think, I think that's kind of the way this can go. Sometimes you just need a different voice in there to make it feel reinvigorated, to make it feel different. And I mean the pace has been something that has transitioned into into the half court as well, And like you know, to me, George's kneeing is the classic example of this. His numbers are actually down year over year, but just the speed with which he's making decisions, the speed on his cuts, the speed that he's slipping out of screens, he's like getting drivele penetration, Like he's just everyone's just making so much more deliberate movement in the half court. The way they get up the floor and they run into their horn sets. They're not just beating around the bush so they could get to a Donovan Mitchell ball screen. They're running action for the purpose of getting shots early in the clock. Whether it's like oh, if we're running this horn set and the dude's open on the backscreen, throw it. If the skip passes open, throw it. If you have an opportunity to drive a close out, drive it. And then that's where the Evan Mobley part and obviously everyone's playing better. We were talking about Garland earlier, and we'll get to him in a second, But like the Evan Mobley on ball stuff, to me, is just another way for them to get that initial advantage so they can go bang bang shot, you know, like get that initial drive the clothes out kick easy catching foot three on the side, and it's like they're doing a lot of this, like spamming Marrol setting screens for MOBILEI right around the elbow and then just quick slipping out to the wing. And almost every time either Mobley's getting downhill and drawing multiple defenders for kickouts or Merrill's open on the slip and then it's hit shot for him or quick swing pass to the corner, or swing to the pass, swing to the corner, drive the baseline. There's another shot available, like they're just getting the defense in rotation with these simple actions. At at the beginning of possessions, everyone is moving quickly, everyone is decisive, and it's.
Speaker 2: Paying off.
Speaker 1: One of the biggest things that stood out to me is like it feels like Donovan Mitchell has been able to be more picky about when he has to really grab the reins on offense, because that was one of the big things that stood out to me last year with the Calves is it just felt like at times Donovan would read the room and be like, we don't have the juice right now, I gotta just spam pick and roll and take my step back the reason my little eurostep floaters and all that kind of stuff, and like now it just feels like there's so much more variety that he can be picky, which is leading to an increase in his efficiency.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean so on the Donovan front, you know, I think I mean really starting in my opinion, starting from February last year, because Darius had such a what I would call basically a lost season where you know, he just was not himself due to injury, due to personal whatever it might have been, he just wasn't himself. Donovan basically played point guard. They basically played Luka Doncic ball with Donovan in that role through the playoffs, and you know, Donovan really helped keep the offense afloat, but I always felt like that was a high floor, low ceiling outcome for this team's offense, and you know, if you're gonna play that kind of style, because that was you know, a lot of the discussion this offseason where you know, big contingencies of the fan base were like, oh, we got to trade Darius, we gotta let Donovan run the offense. And I was like, well, you know, if we are going to just keep Donovan at point guard, and then yeah, we probably because Darius is an over underqualified to be an off ball shooting guard and you know, and really needs to. If you're gonna have a guy like that, he needs to play a point guard. And it really bears out in the touches. Important to note huge minutes played disclaimer here because no one in the Cavs has been averaging thirty minutes a game right now, but last year Donovan was averaging around seventy nine touches a game, Darius averaged seventy five, and Evan averaged fifty one. This year, Darius is leading the team at fifty nine point four touches a game. Evan is second on the team in fife at fifty seven point four and Donovan is at fifty five point one. Like, I mean, if you would have told me in March of last year that Donovan would be third on the team in touches per game year over year, I would have fallen out of my chair. That's amazing stat I mean, this is a team where you know, every single action was being initiated by the guards generally without an advantage. You know, a lot of just high pick and roll and then let's see what we can do to a team that's their offense is just frankly much more democratized. There are a lot of guys starting plays, you know, they they had to play last night against the Bulls where Jared Allen gets the ball and takes it up or it takes it at the top of the arc, runs a handoff for Sam Merrill with Donovan just getting a flare screen on the weak side. Like like Donovan is like a secondary action. He's a decoy action almost for this team. So I don't think, and I think when you don't have a Luca or a Yokich level like ultra super dupersar talent, you need to democratize your offense. You need to have you need to have the defense kind of not know where they need to be set up on a possession of possession basis, And to your point, a lot of ways they're doing that is just letting guys like Evan just at the board and run. You know, they're they're not feeling the need to have Darius and Donovan walk the ball up court and initiate every set, and it's just made them really hard to guard.
Speaker 1: Dude, you're preaching right now. I would even argue that for the top tier guys, you need to democratize your offense. I would like I would, But you can get away with it easier when you have Biokich. You can make it further before it eventually crumbles. Like that's the crazy part to me, Like when I when I think back, like even like I would say, the closest person to being able to actually do Luka Doncic ball successfully to the latest levels was Lebron just because he had that incredible amount of stamina. But even then, it was like I remember, I remember on the twenty sixteen Calves, I used to be like, why is Kyrie having these possessions where he dribbles the ball up the floor like thirteen times? And dribbles the clock out and takes a contested mid range jump shot and literally there's not a single pass on the entire possession. Like remember those possessions with the Calves.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was like there's were the Lebron break possessions exactly.
Speaker 2: And then it dawned on me.
Speaker 1: I'm like, Lebron's standing twenty seven feet from the rim, just over on the wing with his hands on the six.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I was like, I was like, it's so, it's so fascinating to you because you you absolutely have to have variety. I mean, even going back to Yokic, who was like the last super duper star to really get it done. With Jokic, it was like, oh, it's game one of the finals and Aaron Gordon has the matchup. Let's just throw the ball to Aaron Gordon six straight times on Gabe Vincent to start the game and we're going to build an initial lead.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: It's like that's the thing is like you never know how the matchups are gonna work as you go from team to team. You know, I look at this particular team for example, like you've got Donovan Mitchell, right, and Darius Garland. There are these speed guards that rely and pull up shooting, getting dribble penetration in ball screens and being able to spray out from there. When you play that style, inevitably you might run into a team that's got a couple of really really damn good guards that can guard the ball and that can stay attached on screens, and all of a sudden it turns into a different type of game. And all of a sudden, having a guy like Mobley who can initiate offense at least to get the defense in rotation so that then Darius Garland and Donovan Mitchell are attacking closeouts, then you can use their advantages without having to have that great guard defender pressuring the hell out of him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, or just get the ball with advantage, you know, Like I've talked about that a lot of you know, my biggest gripe with how the offense I felt like kind of collapsed down the end of last year was that Darius was just having to start a play from scratch. And Darius is not a big guy. He is not a strong guy. He is not an explosive guy. That is not none of those things are playing to his strength. So like, yeah, he can run a cold high pick and roll and get you a pretty solid possession out of it. But if he catches it coming off a pin down where the defenders worried about him shooting because he caught the ball with two three feet of space before he even goes into that secondary pick and roll or a dribble handoff where he gets where he's getting the ball with the running start. Now the things he is great at, which is the change of direction, the tempo kind of pushbowl where he you know, he goes from zero to max speed back to zero better than almost anyone, Like all the stuff he is great at. Now he gets to actually leverage with a defense that's already trying to catch up, like and that is the stuff that they're able to do right now. I mean, obviously the Evan stuff. And Evan has always been kind of the thing that enables that because he is an elite playmaker as a big in terms of his fuel for the game, in terms of his ability to pass, and the skill stuff has been catching up. You know, the handle is getting a little tighter every year, the touch is getting a little better every year. But his ability to read and kind of interpret what's going on that's always been there, and I feel like they're really leaning much harder into it.
Speaker 1: The three points shooting piece is important too, because it's helping him get drible penetration. I thought like Zach Levin went on a little run last night. As I was watching him, I was like, man, if he didn't make like one hundred million dollars and if I could trust his body to hold up, I think he'd be such an interesting trade target.
Speaker 3: Because he had a couple of nasty plays last.
Speaker 2: Yes he did.
Speaker 1: When I was watching him, I was like, man, he still got that little left shoulder fade he hit to tie the game.
Speaker 2: Was it at like one o six or something like that. I was like, man, like he's got them.
Speaker 3: It's just the play where he is streaking down the floor. He gets bumped on an outlet pass and he like high points the ball, taps it to himself and then gets hit again and hits the reverse layup and one. I'm like, my.
Speaker 1: God, an athlete, complete apex athlete, I know. But like during that run, like Darius Garland had two huge plays. One the the ball screen where the defender was like shading heavily on his right side and he ended up I think it was Levine and you know, up getting downhill and throwing that beautiful lob to Evan Mobley. And then the second one was just a dribble penetration off the top of the key and he got a little left handed layup and it's like he's getting downhill because of the threat of the three point shot like that. That is a that is a key element to it. If you can get baked in dribble penetration without having to leverage your athletic tools simply because of the threat of your shot, that is where you can bring real value. And again that's the other matchup piece where it's like he had the most favorable matchup in that situation. You know, like it's a lot easier for him to go to work against Zach Lavine than it is for Donovan Mitchell to go against ayatassum MoU whoever it is. That's on him in any given situation where he's drawing the high leverage perimeter defender and that that's where that variety comes in. That is where uh, that is where that like you just have more punches you can go to depending on the matchup. So I've a couple things I want to get to you real quick. So the depth, I did not even notice in my research that there's not a single cav playing over thirty minutes.
Speaker 3: Changed last night.
Speaker 2: But let's tell me a little.
Speaker 1: Bit about the bench and the specific guys have been popping to you. That third quarter run from Ti Dromelin, like his activity on the ball and his ability to get deflections to get them outa in transition, and he's kind of a sneaky little bucket getter too, So tell us a little bit about the bench.
Speaker 3: So before I started about the bench, I did want to hit on the fact that Kenny is just running really great rotations. And you know, it was really interesting because, you know, obviously, being so team focused as I am, you kind of forget how other coaches coach, if that makes sense, like because you know, we just had JB for five years and Bickerstaff is a guy who really prefers to run a tighter rotation. He really, you know, you can tell JB is at his happiest when he's playing eight, you know, and every now and again would extend to nine. But there were, you know, the five minutes last year where the team was fully healthy, he tried a ten man rotation, and it just felt like you know, you ever like you know, you ever at a buddy's house and you borrow like a hoodie or something, because it's called like this isn't quite mine, this doesn't comfortable, you know, like that's the way it felt with JB. It felt like he was trying on another coaches tactics when he had to go ten. And then you watch what Kenny's doing playing ten, and he he said before the season he might try play at eleven when the team's fully healthy. And like you can really see why it, you know, for someone who was like I was like, dude, they have four guys that need at least thirty two to thirty four minutes a game that gets really hard, really fast to you just run out of minutes and you're playing guys two minute shifts.
Speaker 2: It.
Speaker 3: He completely has changed my mind on this because of his blend of orthodoxy of like guys know when they're getting their run, they know when they're getting subbed out, and as a result, they're able to play very contained and you know, really put all their energy towards their run. You know, at the you know, seven minute mark of every first quarter, Sam Merril and George Nayan come in and normally by the two minute mark they're out. So those guys know, this is what this, this is the way I need to run and how I'm going to play. During the stretch, there's there's no ambiguity to it. But in the second half he's he kind of is able to read the room a little bit more. He's a lot more flexible and a little less orthodox. So you know, hey, we are starters look like they're dead. We've played the heaviest schedule than of the entire league so far. We're just gonna go with a five man bench lineup. So he's doing a really nice job of creating a structure where guys know where their minutes are coming from and giving himself the flexibility. So I feel like that is part one to this is the bench is playing better because everyone knows exactly what their job is and when their job needs to be executed. And then obviously the players are just playing great. You know. Sam Merril, you know, has been a real tool, as you mentioned, alongside Evan Mobley and like Dude Gie your Ome, Tie Jerome, he has been the best backup point guard in the league't I actually did did a little right before this, and he's it's pretty objectively true. Maybe TJ McConnell can can lay claim. Tijerome is averaging twenty two points, seven point six assists, four and a half boards, three point three steals per thirty six on sixty one fifty four eighty three percent.
Speaker 2: Splits its outrageous, like he is.
Speaker 3: He was a guy I was really excited about the matting last year. He only plays two games. He has just a freak season ending ankle sprain that just never gets better. It's a high ankle sprain. At the beginning of the year, you go, ah, he might miss a month or a month and a half and then he'll be back. And he never got better. He ended up having to get surgery. It was a crazy thing. And you know, so he was a guy who was either out of sight, out of mind for the Cabs or for Cabs fans, not this Cabs fan, but for the general population. Or was a guy that like was kind of representative of like frustration with like, oh, this guy that we added didn't even play. You got to hang ankle Spring didn't even end up playing, like Vincent for the Lakers, is what you're saying. Absolutely, that's a great cop you know where you know it's not fair to the guy, but certain certain parts of the fan base just kind of treated him as like part of their frustration and uh, and he has just been he's taken this game up another level in the system. Remember he played for Kenny and Golden State when he when he was kind of the second slash third point guard depending on h depending on what part of the season you were in for the Warriors. And he had real moments there too. Absolutely had real moments against the Cabs. I think that's part of the reason they designed to be scored like twenty seven and a bench mob win in Cleveland. But you know, he he's got great size, six ' five, he's got a great stop and start game. The playmaking has been really good. And you know, here's the thing, man, Like, this team is not an inherently nasty team. You know, Evan and Jared they are so fundamental, so smart, but they aren't. They aren't, you know, the the kind of guys who are like digging elbows into people's sides. You know, neither is Darius, Neither is Donovan. You know, I would say we are the least grifty team in the league on that front, you know, like yeah, and the free throw late rates will U will confirm that. So it's nice having a guy who kind of plays like a dick, you know, like I mean, I think there's no other way to say it than a guy like Jerome is kind of doing the stop start, you know, clearing space with his elbows, and you know, he just plays different than all their other players, and so he has been unbelievable. I thought he was one of the guys that was primed or you know, most dangerous to lose his rotation spot when Max Strus returned, because, by the way, Maxtreus hasn't played a minute yet. Yeah, what about Max Trus exactly our starting small forward who was our best plus minus player last year.
Speaker 2: You start when he comes back, I think so.
Speaker 3: I think so I would be really really surprised if he doesn't.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: And you know, I think that we, you know, to do a quick detour. I think we've just now started to see them really miss start missing him. You know that Brooklyn game where they're having to you know, the bigs are not able to make an impact, you know, Brooklyn's playing super tough at the point of attack. We're playing Karris Lavert at power forward, and they won the game with that lineup, but that it was dodgy a few times on the glass and things like that, and they you know that would be Max Stru's playing those power forward minutes, and you know he can shoot on the move.
Speaker 1: He can shoot on the move too, which is a they're like he brings He's kind of like what Merrill does, but for.
Speaker 3: The starters, Yeah, he he kind of is an amalgamation of what Dean Wade, Isaacle Korro and Karris Lavert provide all individually. He kind of does all those things at like a B to B plus level. And I think I just think he's better than all those guys. If I'm being really like just a little reductive. He's just the best role player on the team in terms of what he actually brings to the core. So you know, they haven't had him. I thought Ty Jerome would be, you know, a guy that maybe might drop out of the rotation. I don't think you can. He's been that good, that consistent, and he's saved them a few times.
Speaker 1: And more often than not, you just have too many opportunities in the regular season to give guys minutes. It's it's like the thirteen man rotation in Golden State, which, by the way, I think this is where Kenny gets that idea from, which is basically like, we're gonna run like crazy, We're gonna play super hard, we're gonna play with a ton of pace in the half court. Everyone's minutes are going to be down, but we're gonna do these like just aggressively long rotations, but to your point, consistent, so the guys know what they can count on and they're not scared of getting pulled anytime they make a mistake.
Speaker 2: But like the I think.
Speaker 1: That that becomes that goes hand in hand with the scrappiness, that goes hand in hand with the forcing of turnovers. By the way, you mentioned the huge offensive rebound on Twitter this morning, the one where Ty got the rebound, missed the three, got another rebound, and then it ended up I think with Karris Lavert hitting three at the top.
Speaker 2: Of the key.
Speaker 1: He had another huge play down the stretch right before they took him out, right before they went to the closers, where it was one, one, o six, I think, and then he just picks zach Lavie and clean at half court and they go.
Speaker 3: He's had a lot of those, bro, He's had a ton of those kind of plays. It's been bananas. He uh. He is averaging three point three steals per thirty six right now. It's his previous career high and like almost no minutes in Phoenix was one point six. I mean he is, I mean, and these are consistent rips where he is like he's kind of doing the sprint of the ball handlers, they take it up half court and just you know, pick six of them. Like these are not like low impact, Oh the guy just happened to throw me the ball steals. These are I'm ripping the ball away from you steals, And like that's generally been a big emphasis from Kenny going into preseason, where he's like, hey, we've got this great defensive team, we're not a great turnover forcing team. Plays like that where they're really emphasizing ripping the ball. Even guys like the Yang have gotten a lot their hands on balls, a lot more in terms of getting rips and steals, like those kind of players are like are part of what it has made this team feel a little bit inevitable over the last couple of weeks where it's like, man, every time the other team's making them real push, someone like tied Jerums to rip them and it you know, it generates a wide open three, and it's like, that's so painful for the posision and yeah, he's been amazing, just makes.
Speaker 2: It play exactly.
Speaker 1: They're they're forcing seventeen turnovers per game, which is third in the NBA. Last year they were eighteenth. And the other big thing I've noticed in this I think also came from Golden State. It's like that textbook like not conceding switches just for the sake of conceding switches, but being more willing to switch and then like stunting and recovering rather than hard helping and doubling, which has caused defenders to be positioned in passing lanes more often and has caused offensive players that have the ball to be more indecisive. So then when they turn to make those kickout passes, there's people in the lanes and they're using that to then just further leverage their transition pushes. Like I mean the game against the Lakers, man, I think they had I think the Lakers had six spedovers. Yeah, I was a complete beating. They had I think six turnovers in the first quarter, and I'm pretty sure they scored on every single one of them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they had.
Speaker 1: I think they hit five threes in the laps. They did like seventeen points on six turnovers in one quarter.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, and you know what's funny, the defense is actually underperforming what I think they should be doing. I want to say there, I didn't. I didn't update the stat after the Bulls game, but they're twenty fifth and opposing three point percentage. Like teams are hitting at a very very high rate. They had two games in a row where aj Green and Jose Alvarado combined to go like fourteen to fifteen from three against them, Like you know, they they've had guys go just bananas against them from three despite so like I think their ninth in defensive rating. That might have changed after last night. But like they are generally underperforming their metrics. But to your point, I think their fundamentals are really really strong when they're switching, especially when they switch a big at the point of attack they're doing. I really would recommend anyone watching the team to not look at the ball on those plays and look at the tag out that happens on the back end where you know Darius Garland. They'll run. The opposing team will run a pick and roll at Darius Garland and Evan Mobley. Evan will take the switch. Darius will switch onto the opposing team's power forward. In no time at all, Jared Allen will have swapped in tag Darius to a lower threat player. You know, And that was a team, you know. I've always credited the Boston Celtics for this. They're the best tagout team in the league and have been for like six years. The Cavs are starting to learn how to do that at a much better rate. And then, frankly, dude, they're just playing better at the point of attack. Darius Garland when he gets switched onto an APEX scorer, isn't getting cooked. Sam Merrill is holding his ground, He's not killing it. But when you have Evan or Jared on the back line, your margin for air as a defender is pretty high. You just can't get absolutely torched. So even if you get beaten, but like make it a little harder for them, you're still probably going to give up a less than ideal shot for the offense. So like, again, their margin forer air is great, their attention to detail at the point of attack is great. Steph no on Twitter just this morning posted a clip of Donovan denying Zacly being down the stretch where he has scored three or four possessions in a row and basically Donnie faceguards him for an entire possession to keep him away from the ball. Like they have the top end talent on the back line and then they just have the attention to detail at the point of attack. And it's and again, I think this is the ninth overall team in defense right now. I really think they'll end the season around, you know, in the top five. So even if their offense drops off a little, they have margin ferrer on the other end.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it goes back to the thing I said at the beginning of the show, which is like, once you start to win to a certain degree, it becomes infectious and then you actually start It's kind of like I was talking about with george' niang, like guys even that haven't been great defenders in the past are just more locked in because it's like, hey, we're doing this together. Guys like we're all in this together. There's a there's like almost like a community feel from the defensive end, and like you, it's I think this is one of the coolest things that happens in sports when you kind of catch this like flash in a pan winning type of environment, because you can literally see it build on itself. You can literally see it gain momentum. But we have to go negative now, Carter. So if I asked you, if I asked you to nitpick this team and to come up with the reason why you are just I'm not even saying a reason why they would fail, just say what you are concerned about. Is there anything that when you watch them when things do go off the rails, when teams do go on run, like, oh, Chicago's up seven in the third quarter, what's happening? What are the things that you're seeing? If you had to nitpick this team.
Speaker 3: Well, it really hasn't been much. So this these will be the definition of nippicks. You know, I've noticed that there there are some possessions. I think in the last two games we've seen it more than any other where there's been a little bit of a backslide where, uh, you know, they're doing the swing swing into a swing swing into a swing swing, and then all of a sudden, Donovan has to shoot a grenade because there's two seconds left. You know, they there's been a little bit of a backslide there, or Darius doesn't take the open three when the defender goes under. So those are some of the habit things I think in terms of the comfort level, you know, I've you know, we talked about this earlier in the pod, but I think Donovan Mitchell has had the biggest degree of an adjustment to make of anyone on the team. And I think there are some a few possessions this year where if you're really watching closely, where he is breaking the offense to just go get to go, take a get a bucket, and he's amazing at that. But it is noteworthy that he's I feel like Donovan is still finding himself in the Kenny offense more than anyone else, which is funny because all of his percent all of his efficiency numbers are are high, but you can still see a few cracks where it's like, all right, Donovan, me like you you can't hijack that possession. You know, everything's running super smooth. But to his credit again, I know this is the nitpicking section, but even when he does that, he doesn't he hasn't been stubborn. You know, the next game down the stretch that that game is tight, there in the middle of a huge comeback, uh you know, being spurred by Darius, being spurred by Evan and Donovan comes down basically doesn't pass an entire posision, takes a contested seventeen footer and misses. You know, all every Cabs fan and are Discord is furious at the shot. And then the next like four possessions that goes Darius.
Speaker 2: You you you go run.
Speaker 3: You're cooking right now. So you know, I think he is still kind of figuring out where he is supposed to press and push. You know, they needed him to do that last night against the Bulls with heavy legs, and you know, he ends up scoring I think it was thirty six. You know, there have been games where he has needed to let Darius kind of run the offense down the stretch. So that's one little thing. I think generally the three point percentage is just too high. They're not all going to keep shooting this well. You know, Carris is well over forty percent for Karris Lebert is at forty seven percent from three this season. You know, I don't I don't expect.
Speaker 2: That to hold.
Speaker 1: There is a lot of guys around the entire league that are shooting outrageously good. It's kind of a weird start to the year. Have you noticed that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it's just been I don't know if it's if it's just fresh legs. Defenses are a little behind. But you know, Donovan's at forty one, Darius is at forty six, Carris is at forty seven, Isaac Okoro is at forty eight, ty Jerome is at fifty four. Like the these things are great and fun, but you do expect some drop offs. So I think those are the things that I'm kind of keeping my eye on, and I'm just going to keep keeping my eye on the clutch stuff.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: Are they going to start slowing down again when their legs are tired late later in the year, reverting with those bad habits, or are they going to continually run offense get good looks which they have been through the stretch. You know, I think those are the big things. You know, there there's some knits to pick on the back line, you know, you know if if Niang is you know, they don't have a lot of big man depth. Like it's funny because everyone talks about them as this big, big team, but you know they really only have two centers on the roster, and one of them starts for them at Power Forward, you know, because Tristan Thompson is much more of a veteran leader than a guy that you really want to be playing twenty minutes a game. What happens to this team if Evan Mobley misses three weeks due to injury, or Jared Allen is having a series where he just can't hang for whatever. You know, he's having a bad series and you want him closer to twenty minutes a game, not not you know, thirty two, thirty four, Like that's the one like roster piece where I go, This feels a little shallow.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: I feel pretty good about them at the guard I feel pretty good about them at the wing. But the bigs, you know, like you know a guy, you know, a guy that you know Mike co hosts Justin, I've talked about a loies man. How nice would a Larry Nanceby on a team like this? So you know a guy who can play a little four or five because they just don't have any four or fives on the roster other than Evan, And like, ultimately you do want him playing a lot of minutes at the power forward because that's a big part of your team's identity. So those are my knits to pick. But man, do they feel nitpicky right now?
Speaker 1: I thought there was a quality nitpicking a jockey from Ucarter for an undefeated team.
Speaker 2: It's a hard job. I thought you did good.
Speaker 1: You know, the Donovan Mitchell thing with it's kind of delicate because I have overwhelmingly been positive about it because I've seen so many examples this year where he's willing to stand on the side un lets somebody go to work, which has been a huge moment of growth him. And but at the same time, like staying mobile and moving around and doing his job and doing something like, uh has been bad. He's been our best player. Yeah, the nitpickiest things, but yeah, even on the bad possessions too. Like I always like, I always have a little bit of grace for that sort of thing, and you take that away from him. Yeah, And like, also there is something to be said about a score, like wanting to feel the basketball a little bit, like they're like it's like it's like, for instance, like I've always hated the right shoulder fade from Lebron in the post, Like I feel like he's never made it more than thirty two thirty three percent of the time. I feel like he settles for it way too often. But I have always just been okay with Lebron taking three or four kind of BS shots a game where he's just kind of feeling out his like kind of like creative shot making, you know what I mean, Because then again, I want him to feel a little bit more comfortable when it if he does end up in a late clock situation at the end of a game and and he's created a shot. So like there's always a delicate balance between letting a score field the ball and like, Okay, you're starting to co opt too many possessions. We need to get back into our flow. And so it's always complicated. But I do think Donovan has done a good job for our last topic today. I'm just gonna I'm just going to take the Devil's advocate stance, and I do kind of feel this way, but it's just way too early in the season. I just want to see a lot more basketball. But let's say I'm like, Okay, I think Boston's way better than Cleveland.
Speaker 2: And here's why. I think that. Inevitably they can.
Speaker 1: Do their you know, killer whale hunt the matchup game and consistently get to situations where they can attack Garland and space to get the defense in rotation, pull Jared Allen and Evan Mobley further away from the rim. They have the ability on defense to do a lot more switching. They have connectivity there too. We know that they're going to do something like put Jason Tatum or put Jason Tatum on Jared Allen like they did last year, and probably put Porzingis on Evan Mobley and have him just sit around the basket. We know that there's like a formula here for Boston. What is Can you make a case for our viewers why you think Cleveland should be on Boston's tier or if you don't think that they should be explained how close you think they are?
Speaker 3: Okay, So I do think Boston is just far and away the best team in the league. I'm not I'm not. I don't got my blinders on that hard. You are giving me the opportunity to eric grievance though. That's fun, which is that I don't know why everyone's acting like the Indiana Pacers were the best challenge Boston got all last year when they swept them and we ran Boston off their home floor.
Speaker 2: Ye give me.
Speaker 3: Absolutely destroyed them in that game and then played the rest of the series less healthy than any Boston opponent. We had the best offense against Boston in the playoffs last year. We're the only team that consistently scored on them, even with no Donovan Mitchell for the back half the series, even with no Jared Allen the entire series. Like I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here, you know, Like we didn't have Darius Garland in Game five. We literally were running kros We have Caroselaburton game five like, like this team actually made Boston work really really hard for that series win, despite being more depleted than just about anyone. I think that the Two Bigs is the ultimate kind of panacea for Boston ball, like as far as one it can be found, because they you know the big thing about Boston is they get rim pressure, They suck you in, They kick it out for three, and the best way to do that is to keep to not have to go three, you know, two on the ball. And the Calves do a great job between switching and tagouts, between just literally being able to cover ground where Evan can stunt in to stop rim pressure and get out and contest a three point shot. Don great at that too, Yes, Jarrett can do that at a high level. You know, I think Boston's has levers to pull. It's not like the Calves don't have. You know, I think Boston would absolutely be favored in a series because you know, they can work to get switches where you know, Darius or Donovan or guarding Jalen or Jason. But like, if I'm any team in the league, I'd rather die to Tatum Iso mid range pull ups than to any other thing that Boston does, you know, And I think the Calves are best suited to bait Boston into their worst habits and that might not get you through a series. But like compared to all these other teams who like Boston can take away the best stuff they do, I don't think that's the case for for Cleveland. You know, I think they're their size in the front court. They're actually the only team that's bigger whose size can really affect Boston in the front court because they don't just have the one big that they can throw Porzingis on. They've got Evan and like, Evan's gonna make Jason Tatum guard him. Yeah, you know they can. They can attack the offensive glass. They have tools in their toolkit and frankly, as great as Drew holiday uh And and Derek White are at the point of attack. I got to say, going from the Orlando series where they had Jalen Suggs, that insane bulldog guarding them, Boston felt easier. They are easier to attack from the perimeter than a team like Orlando. And that's you know, Drew is just Drew does his best against the bulky, strong guys, you know, like the change. You know, Donovan was able to get to the rim at will until he got hurt in that series. Darius wasn't because Darius was like a shell of himself through the back half of the year. But I think that, you know, it's actually not a bad matchup for them, even though you look at their offense comes from the two great guards. Boston has two great defenders I think the things that make Derek White and Drew great. You know, they're they're good defender. You know, they're ninetieth percentile defenders on Darius and Donovan, but they're not one hundredths percentile defenders. I do think that matters in a series where the margins are as thin as they are in the playoffs.
Speaker 1: Orlando is a defensive monster. I'm glad you brought that up.
Speaker 2: That is there.
Speaker 1: They ran some of the ugliest offense in that series that I've ever seen, and there are times where I'm like, what are you guys doing?
Speaker 2: But their defense, there's no denying that they're they're.
Speaker 3: Physically just as the best guard defender in the league agree with.
Speaker 1: You, one hundred percent agree with you. They've got size, strength, they're great at rebounding, they can switch, they do all this kind of stuff. The case you made against I think makes a lot of sense in the sense that like Kenny Atkinson's kind of the perfect guy for the job in terms of switching, containing scramming out of mismatches on the back end, and just basically trying to bait them into pull up jump shots. And like I do think Donovan Mitchell is capable of out executing Jason Tatum in a seven game series in the clutch. But I think you're right. I think Boston would deserve to be favored. It's just that Cleveland is encroaching on that tier in a major way. Interestingly enough, I was pulling up, but I had to read a Draft Kings ad yesterday and they had the Calves as the second favorite to win the NBA Cup. So I was like, huh, I want to back into the hell yeah mans. So I wanted to look at the title odds and they actually have him tied for seventh right now with the Suns. I'm surprised by that. So they have the Thunder and Celtics ahead of them to be expected, the Knicks are ahead of them, the Nuggets are ahead of them, the MAVs ahead of them, and the Timberwolves.
Speaker 2: Like, here's the thing.
Speaker 1: I'm a huge Anthony Edwards fan. I don't know, I don't know what you could have seen this year to make you think the Timberwolves are a bigger title threat than Cleveland compared to the way Cleveland's been playing.
Speaker 3: Listen, man, you get I think, ultimately, here's what it comes down to. You and I you know, I am low on my grievance quote compared to the rest of the fan base on this because the reality is, they got embarrassed in a playoff series, and even though that was two years ago, even though they won a playoff series, they haven't had that, no doubt, ask kicking of a playoff series yet, you know, because Orlando. And again I picked Cabs in seven against Orlando because I think Orlando is awesome. But the reality is if they had beaten Orlando in five, I'll bet those odds are different, you know. But they we have not seen this Cabs team go up a level in the postseason yet. In fact, we've really only seen them under especially on their offense. We've only seen their offense go down in the postseason. And I understand that especially for a team that's not going to be a public team like the Cap. You know, we're not in a glamour market like you kind of have to go take it. You have to go take that that perception win, you know. So I think there will remain skepticism about the ceiling of this team until we see more consistent dominance, you know. And like this is what I was talking on our last podcast about this where I feel like my expectations for this team in the most literal sense have not changed since the start, which is that I think that they they really should be a top two or three seed in the East, and I think they should really try to make a push towards the conference finals. That would be a successful season for me. That's still the same, except how I think each series should go on the road to that outcome those That's where I've changed. Where it's like instead of you know, if you pull Philly in the first round, if you lock up the one or the two seed and you pull Philly in the first round, maybe at the beginning of the year like just happy to win, where I'm like now, like that's a wounded team and I think they're a tier better than them. They need to win to kick their butt. Yep, yeah, they should kick butt. They should beat these you know tier. You know, if if we're gonna pretend, if we're going to say the Cabs are kind of in a tier of their own right now, at least in the where the season is right now, they certainly are, then they should be dominant of the teams and the tiers below them. Uh, they if they get to a conference finals show down with Boston, just hanging shouldn't be enough. You should make them sweat. Yeah, you should see six or seven game series. Yeah you need you need to have them really have to be great to beat you like that. So, like it's even though the literal outcome isn't different, like I do, think expectations have changed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's it's fascinating because coming into the season, I had Boston, New York, Milwaukee, Philly as like this tier, and then I had Cleveland, Orlando and Indiana as like this tier. And that's completely jumbled for me to start the year. Like to me, I think the Calves are clearly better basketball teams than Philly and Milwaukee, like I, like you said, I think they're just on a completely different tier. The Knicks, I'm always like, brand new basketball team. Give them a lot of time.
Speaker 2: You know, weird.
Speaker 3: They're a weird team that has to figure out who.
Speaker 1: They are exactly, So like, who the heck knows what's going on with them in the long run. But I think there's like a legitimate case to like definitively stay Cleveland's the second best team in the East behind Boston, and that just was not how I felt going into the season. And if anything, it almost feels like a different tier at this point. It feels like Boston and Cleveland and then there's the rest of the East and so and even though it's been somewhat of a small sample size, it's been there's been enough big wins. I mean, I don't think the Lakers are as good as Golden State to start this year, but I think Golden State and LA are two pretty good teams that didn't just go into Cleveland and get beat. They went into Cleveland and got humiliated.
Speaker 2: Like that is that is like.
Speaker 1: It's there's something special going on there. But Carter, I think you did an absolutely fat dealous job of educating our listeners on what it's been like being on this ride to start this year. Before we get out of here, why don't you tell everybody about the Chase Down Pod where they can find it and some of the stuff you and Justin have been working on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so, you know, pretty simple Chase Down pod on Twitter. We are you know, we're on the Cavs YouTube channel. We go live about twice a week on there, and you can obviously find us on whatever your preferred podcast platform. As yeah, we go twice week during the season and do a lot of immediate postgame reactions which is really fun. And yeah, it's it's been a lot of fun so far this year.
Speaker 2: Dude. That was awesome.
Speaker 1: Everybody head over to the Caves YouTube channel and subscribe to you guys can watch the Chase Down podcast.
Speaker 2: That is all we have for today.
Speaker 1: We're going to be back tomorrow morning with just a couple of game breakdowns from the Wednesday night slate, as well as another episode of Temp's tape. As always, we sincerely appreciate you guys for supporting the show.
Speaker 2: We will see you then.
Speaker 3: The volume. What's up guys.
Speaker 1: As always, I appreciate you for listening to and supporting Hoops tonight. It would actually be really helpful for us if you guys would take a second and leave a rating and a review. As always, I appreciate you guys supporting us, but if you could take a minute to do that, I'd really appreciate it.