Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Yeah, love those shows, love those guys. Those guys as what's up and Rich on Fox Sports Radio. We're normally on Monday through Friday two to four on the West side and yay yay by the way, that's a little hint of what's to come, and we're on from five to seven on the East Monday through Friday. We also have a Patreon, Rich, let me use this opportunity. Yeah, please go on to speak over the xylophones and shamelessly promote everything we do. Patreon dot com slash Covino and Rich. We do an uncensored, unleashed Patreon. That's right, check that out. We have to get a trial subscription. No, no, you gotta pay. Yeah, over promised is our bonus show. It's a hybrid of both. It's a hybrid of our Patreon because it's uncensored and what we do here on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 3: You have to pay for that.
Speaker 2: No, that's free. That's at Covino and Rich FSR on YouTube. That's where we're streaming live right now, where you're gonna see Drew Brees in a few minutes. Where you to see ice Cube tomorrow. So we're bringing the guests, We're bringing the fun here in for DP. It's always a pleasure and I do want to say, respectfully thank you for having us. We appreciate it. Anything else, any other plugs dan Ett's I have a go fund Steve page if you if you want to donate. No, uh what else?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 2: That's it. That's it. Ye. I do want to talk uh MLB for one second. You're done with the w n B A real quick huh? Well, yeah, we talked about it and Danny g said something off you that ranked true to me, but I won't repeat it. Oh this sounds juicy. No, no, we're just saying hell like. It's not like it.
Speaker 4: It's just that people aren't watching the actual play on the court.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the product isn't always the best. So since the star circle, I.
Speaker 4: Mean there are obviously a lot of viewers, but not in our circle. Yeah, that's why so many media people are just leaning into the drama.
Speaker 2: And there's always drama, there's always juicy stories, and that's what we lead with.
Speaker 5: Millions more eyeballs were drawn to the w NBA obviously for Kate and Clark hitting like logo three, so that was never done before. Yes, some play on the court was drawing attention. Now you have all these little side shows going on where people are, you know, all up in arms about things that aren't going on on the court. But Kaitlin Clark was the reason people were watching more of the WNBA.
Speaker 2: But I'm guilty, Sam, guilty because you're feeding into it. Because guilty. Think about the guilty because I've never watched a w NBA game from start to finish, but I am intrigued when I'm clicking on things on social media where it's like, ooh, a debate about trands in the league, or ooh, Sophie Cunningham got clotheslined, and oh Angel Reeson was saying this about Kitlyn Clark, Like I will click on that. Call me a little gossip bee bauch, but I will click on that. But I'm not watching a full game. So I do think that there's something we said about leading with drama and those salacious headlines in the w NBA, because I feel like it's getting the eyes that that league would never have got otherwise. And be honest, we're taking the bait. You know you're taking the bait. Oh Man Security made made fans cover up their shirts, the pro and anti trans shirts that people were rocking at the Dream Fever game. That stuff that stands out and we talk about it, so we're also guilty of that. But before we move on, I did have a stupid question based on that, and they're saying security dropped the ball. They posted a lot of these fans on the jumbo Tron and security was a cover up your shirts and it became a story.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 5: I think they're making the they're stepping in it, and they they should just like they don't know how to handle the spotlight.
Speaker 2: It reminds me when I was in sixth grade and they made me cover up my Bart Simpson Simpson, who the hell are you? And I couldn't have a shirt that said hell on it because hell is a dirty word. The game itself was an overtime. It was a good game, like it was an overtime game. And then people just get all they get all affixated on this stuff. It happens off. Remember when you had to turn your up big Johnson T shirt inside out? Yes, that couldn't wear big Johnson T shirts the school.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: Nowadays, though, it's way more relaxed that kids wear hats to school here in California anyway, and their goofy shorts that these little boys wear nowadays, all these little baseball kids. I have a question for you, one last w NBA question, not to get all controversial as we're feeling for DP. What's up Dan Net's You're allowed too, rich Man? Yeah, I just go for it, man, It just really make an impact. It's a it's a general question with the enest canters of the world saying I'm gonna play in the w NBA. I my identify as a woman, and these antics, do you think that, like there's zero points, zero chance. Danny G's boy was saying that G League players should just try to play in the WNBA just to make more money, right, I mean, so.
Speaker 4: Do you think it any I only talk about animals with Clay Travis.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and saw Clay Travis's clip In any capacity animal thunder dumb coming soon? In any capacity, will there be like a former NBA player or G League guy that that pulls these like I guess you would say, like technicalities, trying to prove the loopholes and the rules, and but then again, this is not it's not political, and it's not either side. It's then the w n b A at some point soon will have to put some type of clear verbiage like here's what a woman is or otherwise didn't. You can't just leaning into you can't. But you can't subjectively be like, well, he's doing it in a rude way, but this person is doing it serious way out of the headline because it's not just improved that the ratings are up. Our ratings up because of the gameplay. You know, man, gameplays insane. You gotta watch these matchups or are ratings up because you hear these stories. You're like, I got to tune in and see what's doing well, you know, curiosity, I would say, takes up most of those ratings. I'm not saying all I'm trying to be fair here, but I did have one last story and I'll make it. I'll make it snappy. I'll make it snappy. What do you speaking of? You know, covering up your shirt? You ever, like, roll up to take your kid to school or something and you're chatting it up with the parents and you realize you're wearing like an inappropriate T shirt. Because that's happened to me a few times. I'm truck. When you buy some trashy shirt like the border. We work in radio, right, you say something stupid, Someone makes a T shirt and they send it to you and you, you know, you wear it to the gym or something. Had a T shirt that said a hogof Champion. It was just like hogoff Champions. I mean, yeah, you know, growing up on the farms of Union, new dress. Yeah that's that hot. We're are the Union farmers bro I grew up in Union.
Speaker 4: Did you win it on Winnie and the Button in the morning?
Speaker 2: I well know someone sent it to me, right, So someone sent me to shirt and I'm there talking to one of the parents. This is back in the day, and the dude's drinking the coffee and he's looking at me, and I'm like, oh my god, hogolf Champion. I went back to my car, turned it inside out right, and just came back out like nothing happened. But that's just one story. And after seeing that shirt, the mom started looking at me different. Yeah, absolutely good call. But that is the story and we're sticking to it. Sulready made fans cover up their shirts at the WNBA game. Is it the biggest deal? No, but it is a story. It is and I had one other quick story about baseball, and then we are going to welcome Drew Brees. Drew Brees at about ten minutes will be joining us. Nice. How I mean, I'm a Mets fan. I know we got a lot of East Coast affiliates on the Dan Patrick, sorry about that, brother, And it's sad being a Mets fan. But you know what I said, what's the saddest part about being a Mets fan when you look at you cover up your Mets T shirt when you you know what, it's embarrassing. I'm sorry, let me turn this inside out.
Speaker 4: Shots fired.
Speaker 2: When you realize how the Mets couldn't even play five hundred baseball with a team, you know, with the whole David Stearns, we're gonna get, you know, everyone they got ended up being a fail. Some of the guys aren't even on the team anymore. The peraltas of the world they give. They let Pete Alonso, who's been one of the most productive players they have. You noticed that in the last two months. Yeah, leading the league over the last two months. Pete A. Lonso's like top three in every offensive category. They let Pete Go, they're like later Nimmo, later McNeil. They get Simeon Polanco, all these guys that they said, we're gonna, you know, give the franchise a whole new look. And would you believe that even though the Mets have won ten or the last thirteen, they're fifty seven and sixty nine and still in last place. And when you look at the wildcard I only say it's disappointing because when you look at the wildcard races in the ALE and NL, the AL there's an under five hundred team right now that would make the third wildcard, and in the NL it's gonna be about an eighty something win team. So the reality in baseball nowadays with that awesome third wildcard, which I'm a fan of because it keeps everyone interested. If the Mets had just played five hundred baseball right now, you'd be very much in the playoff conversation. And then once you make the playoffs, I think it just proves how mediocre a lot of these teams are.
Speaker 4: Man Rich, I hate to interrupt your Mets talk, but it's almost time for Drew Brees.
Speaker 2: Danny, I are you saying Drew Brees wouldn't appreciate any I hope you're Dodgers get that three seed and have to play in the wildcard round. Keep you're sweating your ass off because as of right now, as of right now, they played, they've played one more game than the Braves, but they're seventy five and fifty one. The Braves are seventy four and fifty one. But one of those teams, the Bravos of the Dodgers, are going to have to play a best of three in the wildcard and that is dangerous. So if you wonder, is there any way the Dodgers don't win the World Series. If you're rooting against Danny G's Dodgers, the goal is for the Dodgers to slip to the three seed and have to play in the wild card. That's the best shot of getting him out of here. All right, all right, listen, Drew Brees, Yes, bro NFL Hall of Famer Drew Brees. I gotta say it right. Let's get him on. We'll get to him next, filling in for the great Dan Patrick. Co mean on ritch having a lot of fun here on Fox Sports Radio Tuesday.
Speaker 1: Let's go be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 6: This is Rob Parker, and I'm here with an important public service announcement. Whatever you do, do not listen to the Paulie and Tony Fusco Show. Fox Sports Radio asked me to do a promo, but I'm here to do a no mo, as in, don't.
Speaker 2: Listen to this show.
Speaker 6: No Mo the host of two fools from Philly who have the dumbest takes ever in all of sports talk. And you know, if I'm saying that, they must really be bad. I have no idea why Fox Sports Radio picked this up, but I know where to put it down in the trash can. So please don't listen to the Paulie and Tony Fusco Show.
Speaker 2: No Way, No how. Covino enrich in for Dan Patrick, and it's day two of the hat trick, which means we'll be here tomorrow too with ice Cube and maybe some other surprises. All right, so can't wait. Definitely join us again. I'm Steve Covino, just a kid from Union, New Jersey. The Farmers. Rich Davis is here, Danny g our Super producer. He's got the smooth buttery voice and Iowa Seem on the Ones and Twesa and we do this every day Monday through Friday, five to seven on the East. Everything's at Covino and Rich and we're streaming live. If you want to see Hall of Famer Drew Brees, and you do, you can see him at Covino and Rich FSR on YouTube and chat live and join us. Perfect now. I believe he's sitting down right now. Get ready to hang here with Covino and Rich. We're talking about Hall of Famer. We're talking about NFL analyst for Fox Sports and partnership with Direct TV for business to talk about some Sunday ticket NFL red Zone. There is my guy, your guy, Drew Brees on the Coveno on Rich Show. What's up Drew?
Speaker 3: What's up? Guys? How we doing great?
Speaker 2: See you? It's NFL Hall of Famer Drew Brees. That's the official title movie. Every time he's introduced and he wants to be referred to that. Congratulations, man, it's so awesome. Dude.
Speaker 7: I got an honorary doctorate from Perdue this year too, so you don't have to throw a doctor in front of.
Speaker 2: That as well, Doctor Drew Brees on the show.
Speaker 3: That is so great.
Speaker 2: I love that we have so many questions for you. Thanks for your time, appreciate you being here in for Dan, Patrick Cavino and Rich When it comes to the NFL Hall of Fame, I mean, obviously you're you're a man that does your prep. You made it this far, But how much prep goes into that speech?
Speaker 3: So much?
Speaker 7: It's Yeah, it's one of the probably one of the hardest things I've had to prepare for, because you just have so you have a limited amount of time, you know, and and yet.
Speaker 3: You've got this entire not just career but life.
Speaker 7: I mean, I mean you you become so reflective over the last you know, eight months, you know, ever since they announced that Hall of Fame, and it's like, how can I possibly convey all of my gratitude and appreciation and thank all the people I want to thank any amount of time that that that you're given, you know, I mean, really, it's like you're writing a book and then you have to condense the book down into they tell you eight to ten minutes.
Speaker 3: I was I was about twice that.
Speaker 7: Yeah, but but you want to do it in a way too that like, look, you recognize a lot of people that are in the stands are sitting out in the in the hot, humid sun for two and a half hours. So you're trying to entertain them a little bit, you know, with stories and you know, uh, some some laughter, but of course the emotions are going to come out, and you just want to properly convey that to all the all the people that were such an important part.
Speaker 3: Of the journey.
Speaker 2: You know, again, you've done it all. But I got to ask, do you start getting nervous about that? Do you feel the nerves so much preps such a big moment, Does it get nerve racking for you?
Speaker 3: Yeah, definitely.
Speaker 7: But but honestly, I would say, look like I mean that Hall of Fame experience is it's all the time leading up to it, in the anticipation, but then you know, you're you're You're in Canton for five days and there's all these unbelievable things that you're doing and a lot of it. I think they intentionally keep a surprise from you so that they get your you know, authentic reaction and emotion to it.
Speaker 3: You know. Starting with there's a toast in the Bus Gallery on.
Speaker 7: Thursday night, you know, during that week, and I remember walking to that room and of course it's already you know, just an epic experience with all the busts lit up, but it's kind of that dim feel. And then all the Hall of famers are in there, and here's me and Joe Green and Willing Lanier.
Speaker 3: Toasting us all.
Speaker 7: And then I reach over and I'm clinking glasses with Lawrence Taylor and I'm like, dude, where am I all right?
Speaker 3: Like I just got transported to this this unbelievable place.
Speaker 7: And then the Gold Jacket dinner, you know, when you kind of walk walk through the isle of guys and they're welcoming you into the Hall of Fame, and Joe Montana, who is a childhood idole of mine, is putting on my gold jacket, and all that leads up to the enshrinement and then finally it's like the party that night you can just kind of relax and cut loose, And that was really a big celebration and for everybody who came in town to be a part of that moment. But I mean, just so many elements of the experience that that all wrapped into just all that feeling and emotion.
Speaker 3: Man, it was awesome.
Speaker 2: Drew, We're the same age and Joe Montana was also a childhood hero. Mind, so that must have been a cool moment for you as you're in your forties. Do you find yourself getting more emotional when you're doing things with your kids and everything? Like what happened to me? Like, do you feel like you're the emotional Drew Brees now or what?
Speaker 3: A thousand percent?
Speaker 7: Man?
Speaker 3: A thousand percent.
Speaker 7: Here's the other thing about the speech, So, I mean there were so many different iterations of the speech, you know. I mean I practiced it, you know, she I mean, I actually walked. I went to the high school stadium here in town, and I stood on the bleachers and I gave the speech to the field like as if I was in the I was trying to I was trying to put myself in the moment so many times, visualize it, like you know, the.
Speaker 3: People in the state. I mean, I really and like I cried. I cried fifty times writing this speech.
Speaker 2: How did you feel making Sean Payton cry when he found out he was going to introduce you?
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, well that was awesome. I was trying to find a way to surprise him, you know, by asking him to be my presenter, and so I was actually going to fly to him, you know, I was going to go to Denver or you know, wherever he was and surprise him. So my wife and his wife were kind of, you know, planning this, and then all of a sudden, I just happened to FaceTime him and he was with all of the Saints guys. They were they were they were on a golf trip, and I was like, Okay, this is actually the perfect moment.
Speaker 3: Because he's got all these people around him too, and so I I.
Speaker 7: Think, I think you got a very surprised shot and then emotional Sean Payton, just because it came out of nowhere. You know, It's maybe like the knock for me, you know, when Dan Fouts comes and knocks on my door and I you know, you have no idea that's going to happen.
Speaker 3: You just totally get set up. Yeah.
Speaker 7: I think normally we're used to seeing a pretty fiery, intense Sean Payton, you know, and so you got to see a different side of them.
Speaker 2: That was cool. Speaking of Sean Payton, you guys have history, do you talk about what's going on in Denver nowadays, Like do you have a text thread going on about bone Knicks? Like are you always chopping it up back and forth about stuff like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, here's the thing, Like, I've got a great relationship with bon Nicks.
Speaker 7: We've had a lot of conversations over the last few years, you know, as he was was drafted by the Broncos, and I mean just talking quarterback play, talking preparation, talking a lot of things.
Speaker 3: Certainly stay in touch with Sean Payton and a lot of guys.
Speaker 7: How about this, Sean Payton sent me a picture from the Broncos facility of all the people in the Broncos facility that I have a connection with, you know, like former teammates of mine that are their coaches, et cetera.
Speaker 3: There's twenty two guys in the in the Broncos organization and I have a connection with.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's crazy.
Speaker 3: So I I know, I mean that that that that's probably the team.
Speaker 7: There's probably more people in the Broncos organization that I know are playing with the Saints organization right now.
Speaker 3: You know, it's amazing what what what you know? The turnover that happens in five years. But but yeah, no, I mean I stay connected with those guys all the time.
Speaker 2: Here were Drew Brees filling it for Dan Patrick Cavino and Rich Now Drew, Hey, I'm sorry turning up doctor Drew Brees, Doctor Drew Brees.
Speaker 3: At least for the next you know, till the end of the year.
Speaker 2: Doctor Brees.
Speaker 3: Doctor.
Speaker 2: We all know how hard it is to win a Super Bowl. You you're one of the greatest of our lifetime, one of the greatest of all time, and as you know, it's you got one, but it's hard to get there. Everyone talks about Josh Allen, Lamar Jackson, Joe Burrow, bo Nicks. Everyone's like, oh, they'll get one one day. They're not all going to get one. Is there a guy that you think you're pretty certain what at some point get one? Because it's so hard. It's so hard. I mean, like when you think about like the greats like you, it's no one's guaranteed to get two, three, four or five any for that matter.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you know, different different than other sports. Yeah, where there's a seven game series. You know, in most cases the best team wins, right, there's times where they go down, they lose game one. Maybe they lose the first two games, but then they they figured it out, they battle their way back, they make the adjustments. That is the That is the thing about a one game playoff is that anything can happen, and we see it every year. There were times in my career where I felt like we had the best team, you know, and and and maybe we didn't win, you know, and I know, and then there's times where man, you just kind of catch fire at the right time and you're an as sending team and and and it all goes your way.
Speaker 3: So that is that is.
Speaker 7: Look, it's the tough part, you know, of the NFL, but it's the exciting part. And that's why I think it's it's the greatest sport in our country, and it's why everybody loves it so much.
Speaker 2: What did they say, more people, more money has made, and more people watch the NFL than every other American sport combined, which is wild.
Speaker 7: I mean, look, when you say that of the top one hundred most viewed shows in the US in a year, it's like ninety seven of them are NFL games, right, I mean that that tells you all you need to hear right there.
Speaker 3: It is It exciting. It's must see TV. You want to watch it live.
Speaker 2: It's the only sport that we said the other day you could watch two teams that you have no care for. Like Baseball, you're watching your team. NBA you might be watching your NFL. You could watch two last place teams and still be locked in.
Speaker 7: It's also the parody of it. Yeah, I think seventy percent of games come down to the last possession. You know you think about that too. I mean, it doesn't matter who's playing any given Sunday. You know, anybody can beat anybody. It's a lot of good players out there, and it's typically you know, two, three, five plays in a game that will determine the outcome of the game. But no, I mean, look there there are there are so many good quarterbacks out there. There are so many guys that I enjoy watching. I mean you mentioned a few.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which one of those? Do you think? Which one of those? I mean, like you said, it's one day.
Speaker 7: I think I'll start with Josh Allen because I mean, look, he's he's certainly a fan favorite.
Speaker 3: I'm a huge fan of him.
Speaker 7: I love the way he plays the game, I love the way he's He's evolved, I think as a player. You know, when he first came in this league, he was super raw, unbelievable talent, unbelievable athlete. Man, he's really playing the quarterback position at a high level. You can just tell how much his teammates love him, how much the community loves him. He means so much to Buffalo in that market. I would love to see him get one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that he cares. He cares so much too, dude, He absolutely.
Speaker 3: He cares so much. Man.
Speaker 7: You feel like he just shoulders so much of the burden. Yeah, you know at all times. And and look that I was gonna I was then gonna go to Lamar Jackson. I was gonna then gonna go to Joe Burrow. Like I feel the same way about those guys as far as like they're what they mean to their teams, right, and to those franchises.
Speaker 3: The problem has.
Speaker 7: Been they all got to go through Mahomes and exactly, you know, I mean it's just like, look maybe what you know Peyton had to go through with Brady? Right, you know, how many how many Super Bowls does Peyton Manning go to if it wasn't for Tom Brady? Right, you know, so there's there's there's always those epic battles, you know, whether it's the franchises, really it's the quarterbacks, you know. So that's kind of what's happening on the AFC side, you know. And then now you got the NFC side, which you know, the way that that Seattle looked at the end of last year, and they've got so many guys returning, and you know, you feel like they're the team to go through.
Speaker 3: But then the Rams just built this super team.
Speaker 2: True, doctor Drewes. True, I'm a I'm a Niners fan. Everyone tell everyone tells you my team is too old?
Speaker 3: Am I?
Speaker 2: Forty nine ers too old? Or could they stay healthy? I still feel like that windows not closed, especially anytime Shanahan's your coach. Now.
Speaker 7: I mean I was just about to say I would I'll never bet against Shanahan. I think he he he did a masterful job, you know last year and coaching that team through a lot of injuries and through a lot of adversity, and look, they had a chance to win the division in the end, I mean, pretty remarkable after what they went through, and look solid did a great job. Obviously, he's he's now with Tennessee. But I mean that's that's the toughest division in football in my opinion. You know, the Niners have an uphill battle with the Rams and the Seahawks. But no, I mean I don't count them out.
Speaker 2: Ever, he Drew Brees on The Cavino and Rich Show, speaking of quarterbacks. You ever, I imagine you watched these shows on Netflix or Hard Knocks? You ever wish you were a part of those series? And what would we have learned about? Drew Brees? Do you watch them? Do you enjoy them? I do?
Speaker 3: I love it. I love ball.
Speaker 7: I mean, here's the thing, you know what I love. I've watched the first episode of the Seattle one. I think there's another episode out there.
Speaker 2: Watch new one tonight. I think episode three is.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you know what I love is like, Look, there's obviously a lot of big personalities in the NFL.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of big personalities on every team. You know.
Speaker 7: Mike McDonald, I think is a is a fascinating dude, you know, very intellectual, but like a football guy, you know, in like kind of a football junkie. And I think he looks at it from a lot of different angles. I think he's got like a unique leadership ability, and the guys really really seem to respond to him. He's very authentic, not trying to be somebody. He's not like, he's just you know, I I I like learning about guys like that. You know, a guy who normally, you know, attention would go to, you know, everybody else. And yet those behind the scenes, you know, shows give you the opportunity to learn more about guys that you otherwise, you know, wouldn't have a chance to get to know.
Speaker 2: Maybe what would we learn about you? Like Kirk Cousins, We found out he shops at Great Clips and a whole cold Yeah, you know, you learn all these silly things. What is it about Drew Brees that you think people don't know?
Speaker 7: Man, I'm a pretty just you know, routine oriented dude. I love to cook.
Speaker 3: I love to cook.
Speaker 7: I think I think that camera would just be getting me on the grill a lot, you know, cooking up steaks for the boys. You know, that's all they want to do is eat. We're on the high protein diet. We're in the bulking phase, you know, as a family right now. Yeah, we're in the bulking phase with three high school boys playing high school football.
Speaker 2: And by the way, if you want to feel old, pictured Drew holding his kid after the Super Bowl. Oh, I know that that that that's one of those like oh man times moving, that's it.
Speaker 3: That's yeah, I know that that was that was that was wild. I think that that that probably aged a lot of us. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was like, man, by the way, Drew, uh, you know, you're a great family guy. Everyone. You know, I should aspire to have the great family dynamic at Drew Brees. When you see some of these young players like Justin Herbert and has beautiful fiance Madison Beer and then Josh Allen with Hailey Steinfeldt, and some people are distraction, isn't it. I look at it as you're a happy guy with your wife or girlfriend, You're going to be more focused on the field if you're happy.
Speaker 3: Would you agree with that one thousand percent?
Speaker 2: I feel like when people are locked into a relationship and they're happy, I think the guys that are single doing hell whoever knows, those are the guys that could get unfocused.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I mean it narrows your priorities, you know, like when I'm not when I wasn't at the facility, you know, working to be the best quarterback that I could be. I was just wanting to spend time with my family. I was wanting to watch my kids grow up. I was wanting to coach their teams. I was wanting to take them to the park. That's all I wanted to do. So yeah, I mean I think it gives you. It really narrows your focus and priority, you know, if it's your loved ones and it's the game, you know, and honestly, in order to be the best at the game, like this is what recharges your battery is spending the time with the family. I mean, that's what That's what fills your bucket. And it provides a ton of motivation for you as well. You know, you want to make those people proud.
Speaker 2: Yeah, uh, Drew, you said narrow focus. So I got to ask you, Drew Brees here with coven on Rich My when I'm not here, I'm coach rich. I feel like that's what I love doing so much, coaching my kids. How do you feel about like people wanting to specialize in sports. Did you have your kids like, did you want to expose them to every sports? Because I hear Pro's like you played everything and now I feel like my son plays baseball. I feel like it's an all year round thing. And you know you want to play multiple sports, right, I'd imagine that's where you're you are leading your kids.
Speaker 7: Multiple multiple sports is the way to go. There's no question you you will be a better athlete in the long run by far. By playing multiple sports. You developed different movements, skill sets. You're in competitive situations. You know, across the board, you're you're you're part your parts of teams where you're going to play different roles. So you learn how to cope with that, you learn how to adjust to those situations. You know you're dealing with a lot of disappointment and failure at times and learning how to overcome adversity. And so look, my concern with this pressure on parents and kids to specialize is, yes, you may.
Speaker 3: Look just like anything.
Speaker 7: If you're putting a billion reps to something, you're going to get better faster, but you're not going to be better in the long run. Like long run, you are better by being a multi sport athlete. Also, by doing that in the short term, you run risk of overuse, injuries, burnout, resentment, and in most cases, like you end up dropping that sport at some point and then you look back on that experience like, man, I just got robbed in my childhood because I was focused on this, you know, my entire childhood. I didn't have a chance to do these other things with my buddies or you know. And so it is at multi sport, without question, is the way to go.
Speaker 2: NFL Hall of Famer doctor Drew Brees on the Cavino and Rich and for DP. Clearly things worked out for you, Drew, But uh, I've heard you say once that you you almost chose baseball over football. And speaking of multi sports, you ever think about like what that could have been some alternate timeline where like there's got to be that competitive side of you that was like, man, that would have been kind of cool.
Speaker 3: I mean, that could have been the next King griff Like Tariot.
Speaker 7: I sat there for hours in front of the mirror, just like that kind of master, that King Griffy junior home run swing, and you just kind of.
Speaker 3: Leave the bat back here, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you ever take BP by the way to see if you still got it? You ever use your connection to let me take some VP.
Speaker 7: Absolutely absolutely still like I'll take one I'll take one out over the right, maybe not right center, definitely right field line any day.
Speaker 2: Can we see your best griffy swing it? You still got it? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Again, I'm kind of bent down here.
Speaker 2: But it's the finish, Yeah, the finish.
Speaker 3: It's the swing and then you just kind of finished there. I know that. And then the bat. The bat just drops like we don't need to toss it, you know, we we we just it's it's a mic drop, is what it is. It's just boll. I knew that was gonna happen. Mic drop.
Speaker 2: And we all do that playing wiffle ball. You know, we all did the same thing. I love that, Drew Brees, you know, speaking of doing that in front of the mirror. The gold jacket, Man, do you look at yourself in that through some dance moves out? Do you wear it around the house, like, tell us about it? Where where is it? And? Uh, how do you feel putting it on?
Speaker 3: I don't know, it's like sacred, you know what I mean. I had it on there.
Speaker 7: I obviously brought brought it home with me and it's it's sitting in my clauset. I just I kind of look at it right now, I'm like, man, is that real, Like that that whole week really happen. It's still it's still pretty surreal.
Speaker 2: So it's just right up there in your closet with like your Henley's and a few sweaters, right.
Speaker 3: Right next to the quarter zips. You know. Yeah, yeah, we heard that's got its own little special section.
Speaker 2: We heard a Joe Flacco on Quarterback talked about how a lot of these trophies and things you think you'd put in like some cool like man cave or room or something, but they just sit somewhere. Are your accolades displayed or do you just have them sort of sitting somewhere.
Speaker 7: So actually I have an office where I put them in there, but honestly, the door stays closed, and it's just it's it's more, it's more so just to have a place to to keep them. I don't I don't walk in there and look at it to like.
Speaker 3: Give myself motivation or anything. You know, you know, they're just they're they're just there.
Speaker 2: I want to take you back to to a moment that I think we all remember. Like I said, like it was yesterday your final game. When you look back, is that like something because you did that so you could take in the moment. Do you remember that moment when you stopped by the tunnel, turned around and looked everyone felt that moment with you.
Speaker 7: Yeah, well you know the bummer was it was COVID right, So no, no fans are in the stands, and you know, look, I I I knew, I knew that was you know, that was my last season. You know, I knew that going into it, and you just you know it was that that last time with the Saints uniform on, you know, and and that that glance. I mean, I wish I could have spent more time just taking it in, but you know, obviously wish there would have been fans in the stands to be able to to share that with Yeah.
Speaker 2: Drew Brees joining us with direc TV for business Sunday Ticket, NFL red Zone. Let me ask you how you watch? If we're gonna be talking some Sunday Ticket and red Zone. I'm I'm a multiple games on multiple TVs. Covino's a red zone guy. How how does Drew Brees prefer to watch his Sunday football?
Speaker 7: No, I want to watch like if there is if there is a key matchup, a key game, like we said, man, two great quarters, Like, I just want to lock in on that one game and I want to try to pick I want to try to play the game with them, right, like as if I'm under center, and hey, I know that defense, I know that coordinator, I know my matchup, and so literally, as situations come up, I'm just kind of rehearsing, like, man, here's what I'm thinking, Here's what I'm doing.
Speaker 3: And then also you're just reacting to oh.
Speaker 7: Man, unbelievable play right or great scheme, right, like I'm gonna steal that one.
Speaker 3: Put that one in the high school play book.
Speaker 2: Is there a schemer system you've seen where you're like, oh, wow, I would have really excelled there, Like my Niners. When you see Kyle Shanahan's type of offense Rock Party, I mean if he, in his wildest dreams one day would be like a Drew Brees. But when you see what party does, You're like, oh, I could have really excelled there.
Speaker 3: Well, so first off, pretty amazing.
Speaker 7: You go back to what was that like twenty thirteen, fourteen, fifteen Washington Redskins when it was Shanahan, McVeigh, Mike Dangel, You had you had you had a few. You know, the guys that are now head coaches, coordinators, play callers that are running probably one of the more creative schemes. You know, this kind of started with McVeigh going to the Rams doing a lot of this kind of like speed motion, you know, changing passing strength really quickly, just like totally discombobulating defenses. How do you adjust to that? And so you know, Shanahan's taking it to another level with just their ability to run the football on the zone run scheme, but to create these angles and look, he's got these weapons like a kittle and a use check that are just as good in the blocking as they are in the past game. And then you know, Mike McDaniel, that's one of the more creative systems I've seen. I'm really interested to see it with Herbert here in uh In in in with the Chargers, so man I and Lafleur as well, he was part of that staff.
Speaker 3: So like I like watching I like watching.
Speaker 7: Those schemes just because of what movement and motion does to defenses and how you can run all of your same schemes. But man, you've just given him like window dressing that just creates confusion. So that's what I really like watching, you know, those guys as as well as as well as Sean Payton and uh and look Kellen Moore.
Speaker 3: With the Saints.
Speaker 7: I'm actually I'm actually gonna go to Saints Cowboys practice today and see those guys go at it. So I'm excited to see that. Brian Schotenheimer is one of my great you know, mentor's friends. He's my quarterback coach with the San Diego Charters back in the day. He's doing a great job with Dak in Dallas. So yeah, I like watching all his offenses.
Speaker 2: Listen, man, we'll let you get on with you day. Thanks uh, thanks again to Direct TV. Thanks again to Drew Brees. Appreciate you, man and look forward to talking to you again soon. Drew Brees, Hall of Famer and doctor thank you. Thanks for your time, Drew, appreciate.
Speaker 3: It all right, guys, good to see it.
Speaker 2: Take care man. So great to see Drew Brees such a good dude on the Coveno and Rich show. He's so right about I mean, I feel like i've we could have talked to Drew Brewes right now, totally, absolutely, such a great dude. All right, we got more Covino and Rich next right here. Fox Sports Radio in for the great Dan Patrick.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 2: Hey, I want to say thanks again to Drew Brees Riches and kidding we could have talked to him for another twenty five minutes. You know, I had a bunch of questions Bendine Gotso we first met Drew at one of the Super Bowl media road deals and we talked to him for like fifteen minutes, maybe what two years ago, and I remember thinking, Wow, way funnier and cooler because he you know, as a player, Drew was more like you know, he felt like quiet and uh, he's a real fun dude. I know, my what you observation or my memory is we had him in the studio years ago, and I think a lot of times you as a fan, you signed yourself up with guys like that, and you know you're standing real tall, like I go, dang, Drew Brees, I gott have played in the like you start, you know, like, no, you couldn't, uh, but that's what you do. And when you meet some of these guys, you know, and it puts you back into reality. Right all of Famer and Rich yess Andrew. Everyone's searching for ways to save on insurance. Rich switch to Liberty Mutual and they'll customize your auto and home insurance so you only pay for what you need. Liberty Liberty, Liberty Liberty. Get a quote at Libertymutual dot com or with your local independent agent. Oh nice, And by the way, the hottest rookies, biggest superstars at all time greats. The only place they collect the wal Covino Guess where where Pinnini Trading Cards the official trading card of the Dan Patrick Show for instant classics, autograph cards, memorability cards, rare inserts, and more. Start or continue your collection now at Pinineamerica dot net. Quick reminder Tomorrow we're back. Lucky you back for day three of the Dan Patrick Patrick So if you missed any of our shows, we had Marvin on yesterday, Frank Calando today, and Drew Brees tomorrow, ice Cube and maybe some other surprises, so join us tomorrow so you know who we're going to talk to, whether or not we whether or not it's tomorrow our bonus podcast over promised. I was talking to our pal Danielle Fischl to Panga. Her and Patrick Renna are in that new I'm sorry, the Great Handbino, the Great hand Bino. They're in a new show, Dugout Dads, and it's a TV show, a sitcom based on the whole world of parents and coaching and kids. And it looks really good. That's why we're telling you to join us, whether not on Fox Sports Radio our bonus show over promises right here on the same page at Covino and rich FSR on YouTube. We're streaming live every day Covino and rich FSR on YouTube. Now Lebron Jays.
Speaker 4: Yeah, another video clip that's making the rounds again, probably for the fourth or fifth time.
Speaker 2: It's it's so funny because Lebron James even yesterday when Marvin, one of our favorites, Danett, this is his show, Dan Patrick. Marvin yesterday was defending Lebron's Bubble championship because we're talking about whether or not Lakers fans should boo or cheer Lebron upon his return. Yeah, that got so many mixed reviews. The clip we posted on Instagram and X that's funny. I was thinking of wild how some people have this weird fascination with how the bubble doesn't count and Lebron, But like, I don't care. People love any opportunity to tear this guy down, tar and down. Uh that's just how it is. But you know, two things can be true, meaning I personally don't take anything away from his accomplishments, especially the Bubble championship. I just don't, because life in general was harder than ever. You think it was any easier for those dudes, and they were all on the same playing court, right, They're on the same playing shield in the Bubble, So it's not like the Lakers had some crazy advantage. I legitimized that completely. But when I think about it, I think it's also fair as a fan to like, yeah, Boom until he retires, like if he's coming back, Boom had a fun player number player, because it's part of being a fan. I don't think there's any And the story was it's because it's because he's so polarizing your Yankee if he does a big Yankees fan, right right? Was there anyone part of your Yankees dynasty in the nineties or even O nine that then left the team, like when Robbie Cano came back and Robbie Cano the first time he came back. I think it's fair to boom. It's it's how they left and why they left. I think it's fair how they left and why they left. When they come back, when they retire, whatever, that's when you give them their accolades and their applause and everything need deserve.
Speaker 4: So I think when the former team is honoring them, then you stand up and give him the standing o.
Speaker 2: Still an opposing player at the video clip and all that.
Speaker 4: But then in the heat of competition, fans are gonna boo the opposing team.
Speaker 2: Right, I agree. I agree in the heat of competition, but I think that I think that Lebron is so arizing that he breaks the rules of every other athlete. Meaning if an athlete comes back to a team, ninety percent of the time, the fans are like, thanks for the time and what you gave us, But Lebron, because he's Lebron, You're right, there will be a lot of booze and heckling. Magic Johnson asked the fans not to boo on his return. That was the story and that'll be Christmas Day. You get a boom on Christmas Day. I will say this, though you can't much fun. Not everything's malicious, right, You can't boo in fun and tell you that you bring your kid like boom. He left the Lakers. And that's the answer to because the same way you handle relationships, right if it depends on how you left. If you if a girl dumped you because she was, you know, sleep with some other guy or you know, uh, just you know, left you in a rough moment, you're not going to root for her happiness moving forward. But if your relationship ran its course, you'll be like, yeah, I hope she does well. Right, if Lebron James was traded or they told them to get out of here, there's no reason to boom. But the fact that he had the opportunity to stay and said I'm going to Philadelphia.
Speaker 4: Would you boo him on his back swing on the golf course because NBC posted that near hole in one he had from a decade but it's twenty sixteen that it happened, but they posted it yesterday. Just heads up, don't be fooled by it.
Speaker 2: Don't be tricked all right, well, we'll see you guys Manyana with ice Cube and I make some more surprises. Thank you, Dan Patrick and the Danettes. Cavino, Riche'll see you later until the Caliendo. Thank you. Drew Brees. Yeah, thank you Drew.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Frank Rima. There you see you in the Promise Land. I'll see your Maniana Nida