Speaker 1: I Am all in Again. Oh that's you. I Am all in Again with Scott Patterson and iHeartRadio Podcast.
Speaker 2: Hey everybody, Scott Patterson, I Am all In Podcast one eleven productions, iHeartRadio Media, iHeart Podcast Season two, Episode three, Red Light on Wedding Night, Air date October sixteenth, two thousand and one. Have a very very special guest. She played Summer and her name is Jacqueline Michelle. Jacqueline, welcome to the show.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much. I'm so honored.
Speaker 1: It's great to have you. Let's jump into this. We got a lot lot to get to here with this episode, a very busy episode.
Speaker 2: The synopsis is Suki throws a wild bachelorette party for Lourlei, who has a sudden impulse to call Rory's father, Christopher when it comes to a startling realization about her wedding day. All right, so, Jacqueline Max Medina is back and he's he's back with a vengeance and Laura Lai invites him for a sleepover, but he feels weird having a She feels weird having a boy in her bed and has to hide in Rory's for a bit, which was actually really funny.
Speaker 1: The nature of their relationship on full display.
Speaker 2: And the next morning they go to Luke's and Mac needs Max needs a moment to browse the menu. So now we're starting to see a little bit of separation between these two and maybe it's not going to be so such a smooth transition. And later Max hammers at Laura l for a set of keys at the house. Jacqueline was was Max right or wrong to push Flora I to get the k's the house?
Speaker 4: I mean, I think he has every right to get the key to the house. He's about to marry her, and so I would imagine if I was Max, I would be feeling similar feelings, like, come on, I'm about to marry you.
Speaker 3: You can't even give me the keys to the front to the house.
Speaker 1: Were you? Were you a bit taken to Barrack? What I mean?
Speaker 2: He really lit into her a little bit, you know, he said, well, you know, called her selfish, and you know, had some real bite to his tone.
Speaker 1: What'd you think of that? You think that was a little much?
Speaker 4: You know, I think maybe he could have expressed it a little kinder, But I mean they were about to get married, So I would imagine if you're about to marry someone and they're not willing to give you the front door key. That's a little bit of a I don't know, that would alarm something within myself, like, oh, maybe she doesn't trust me.
Speaker 3: Why does she not want to give me the front door key?
Speaker 1: Right? But do you think that?
Speaker 2: I mean, he was kind kind of coming on Glude even the night before with how do I handle the Rory Christopher thing if you're not here? And he just seems to sort of become unhinged a little bit and panicked, and he wants answers and this is this is how it's got to be. And then he and then he and then he lays into her with the key thing. Do you think that he was the one that was responsible for getting Lauralai to start having second thoughts?
Speaker 4: I mean, maybe a little bit, But I ultimately think Laura l I just knew deep down that she didn't want to that it just wasn't right, that that wasn't the the person she was supposed to.
Speaker 2: Marry, right, because this is maybe his true self was coming out, like he was going to turn into a nag.
Speaker 1: Okay, do you.
Speaker 2: Think Luke was being rude to Max when he breakfast when he came in to the diner.
Speaker 1: I think that was rudeness.
Speaker 3: I think Luke being Luke.
Speaker 4: I thought that there was a really funny line where he said something about three newspapers and that's really good for the trees or something like that. I think he's just you know, being a friend to Laura Lei and he's just being Luke.
Speaker 3: I don't think he was necessarily being rude.
Speaker 1: Some competitive yeah if going on there?
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think Luke subtly and not so subtly sabotaged that relationship in the way that he could. And I think it ended with the hoopa do you think you know, you hate to think that anybody is cynical here, but you know, love is a battleground? As who said that in that famous song from the eighties, Love is a battle? Is it Deborah Harry? Something like that? We all know all's fair in love and war. Do you think Luke was launching his version of a love war for Laura's heart?
Speaker 4: Sweet moment where they're sitting on the stairs and you know, Luke says, you know, and Laura I ask him, do you really think that you can you know, evolve with another partner? And I think if you find the right person and they don't try to change you, or he says a few other things, I.
Speaker 3: Think it's like a really beautiful moment.
Speaker 4: And I think Lorala I just realizes that, yeah, Max isn't really the one. I think deep down she knows that he's he's she's not ready to marry him because he's not the one. And I think that is a really beautiful moment that Luke and Laura I share. After you he gives her the hoop up and they're sitting on the stairs.
Speaker 2: That was quite a hippo, wasn't it. I mean the detail on that thing. That's Luke the artisan. I mean, boy, that that thing must have taken some time. I mean that looked like it took years. It's all right, Now we're gonna go and we're doing storylines. We're gonna we're gonna hit on storylines. Another storyline in this is the double date, okay, which is very telling. So Dean gives Max some guidance on how to handle the go more girls and they're eating habits And I really enjoyed this, the Dean Max dynamic. I thought it was really a nice switcheroo. And unexpected and really fun and it really made Dean look good. Max talks about wanting to be a parent to Rory, and then we have Dean's monologues and they're reading habits are are just the start of what you're.
Speaker 1: Going to have to get used to.
Speaker 2: There's tons of stuff you should be aware of, and Max is really, oh yeah, like don't ever use the last of the parmesan cheese, and never get into a heavy discussion late at night, because that's when they're at their crankiest at Oh you know, go with their bits, their bits, Yeah, like if you're eating pizza with them and Laurel I decide that the pepperoni is angry at the mushroom, so all that great dialogue, just answer the pepperoni, Max answered the pepperonie, and don't let him get near puppies because they't want to take them. All, you know, all this wonderful Gillmore stuff. And this is where I think Gilmore Girls really lives with this great detail and this this this wonderful humor. What do you think about all that's coming out of Dean? Was was Dean? Was Dean resigned to the fact and so in love with Rory that he was. He's now adapted and he's going to help his older friend to a doubt. What did you think of that scene?
Speaker 4: I think he was just educating him and trying to give him a heads up and trying to you know, I mean the appetite and the ice cream and how just say okay, chocolate ice cream, chocolate chip ice cream, and just I guess happy wife, a happy life, right right?
Speaker 1: For that is that is true?
Speaker 2: And look, this is this is old territory for me about the appropriate appropriateness of this relationship to begin with. I in the beginning, in the first go round four years ago this podcast, I was just totally against this relationship.
Speaker 1: I thought it was.
Speaker 2: Bad for Rory all the way around. Really, and why is Laurlai doing this? Don't you think it relationships appropriate at all?
Speaker 3: With Dean?
Speaker 1: With Max?
Speaker 3: Oh? Max?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's Rory's teacher, So I mean you're starting off off the bat where you're dating your your daughter's teacher.
Speaker 3: So that's a little tricky. And I mean, I think it was sweet for.
Speaker 4: A while, but I think we realized, I mean, for me, I was always rooting for Luke and Laurli to be together. There was just no other person I wanted Laura I to be with so and I think most fans would probably feel.
Speaker 3: The same way.
Speaker 4: So I think it was just a relationship on the way for her to get to you.
Speaker 3: In my personal experience, you know.
Speaker 2: Max seems to be very kind of masterful and loose in his life, right and when he's relating to Lauraai.
Speaker 1: But when they're together and alone, he gets tight.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And Lucas the opposite.
Speaker 2: Lucas seems to be very tight in his life and very constricted and restricted and frustrated, but when he's with her, it all seems to flow, doesn't it.
Speaker 4: I feel like the best of each other comes out when they're together. They're just so natural and real and there's no pretending or you know, I mean the fact that Loralai went into Rory's room the first we're having a man's sleepover, I just wanted to, you know, the fact that she went in there, and then the scene cuts, so you don't know whether she actually just slept in the bed with Rory that night, you know, like they fell asleep, or if she actually went back into the bedroom with Max. But I'm imagining if Max woke up in the morning and Laura I wasn't there and she was snuggling Rory at he would probably be pretty upset. But yeah, Loreli and Luke they just bring out the best in each other.
Speaker 3: And yeah, I think that's a great observation. That gets tight.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's a little tight. All right.
Speaker 2: Now the traffic light, all right, this was very funny. Love love Michael Winters, just love the Taylor Dosy stuff is so much fun. So Taylor has a traffic light and a crosswalk place right outside of Luke Steiner, right there on the corner. And we all know what's going to happen now, the fireworks, the Luke fireworks and this traffic light really summarizes small time life. When when you're watching, tell me what you think think about this small town life, Taylor being Taylor, Kirk being Kirk, etc.
Speaker 1: What do you think of this? You think this was a big deal.
Speaker 3: It's like Taylor just trying to express his you know, power. He loves to have the power, and it's like so absurd. They don't need a stop sign and then it's not something that's necessary. I think it's just him trying to express his power.
Speaker 4: I don't think the town really cares. And the fact that they had that elderly lady. I can't remember the.
Speaker 3: Name of her active She's going to be the first person to cross the street, right, hilarious. It's really fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, great stuff, classic Luke and Taylor, friction, sparks fly and.
Speaker 1: Just loved working with that man. Miss him dearly.
Speaker 2: All right, now, let's go to the bachelorette party. Suki takes Michelle miss Patty Rory to a bar for Lorelei's bachelorette with a surprise appearance from Emily, and Laurel steps away from the party to call Christopher after Emily's very touching speech about you know, the week before she was to marry Richard and how and love she was and how she tried on her wedding dress every day every night and anticipated the big day. And Laurela I wasn't experiencing any of that. So she stepped away from the party. She had a couple of drinks in her and she called Christopher.
Speaker 1: This was a big deal. I mean, that was a big reveal. Were you were you shocked?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 1: When the camera hit Christopher.
Speaker 4: Yes, I thought maybe she was going to call Luke Joe, And I think the fact that she called him it was just kind of like a cry, like do you think I'm making the right decision? She was almost asking that question. I think she's said something similar to you know that? And I think that it was very telling in that moment. I think we realized, what is she you know?
Speaker 3: She doesn't?
Speaker 4: Really this is she doesn't. This is not gonna be good if she's calling her her ex.
Speaker 1: Party, right.
Speaker 2: And this, here's here's a prime example of how Amy and Dan Pelatino get the audience to participate in the proceedings. Here, they're not in. The audience is on the edge of their seat because who's Laura gonna call? Right, because nobody knows. That's that's actively participating in the narrative. That's getting an audience really to lean lean into this show. And like you said, and I agree, I thought I thought she was going to call Luke.
Speaker 1: Was surprised. So did you wish she called Luke? Do you think she should have called Luke or was it two on the nose?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think maybe it was a little bit. People would expect that, so I think it was a little I think she called Christopher because you know, maybe she's known him the longest.
Speaker 3: It's the father of the older, and she just needed that. I don't know that supporter. She just needed to.
Speaker 4: Share with him what was going on. And I think maybe she wanted him to say, like, don't do it. I don't know who knows, but I think she just needed to talk to somebody that she'd known to a lot, known a long.
Speaker 2: Time, because she's had those conversations when she was Christopher before, when she was sixteen about her own family.
Speaker 1: And are we doing the right thing here?
Speaker 2: You know, she had many conversations with Christopher about that when she was pregnant with Rory. Did you realize that the bachelorette party, Jacqueline that Laurel I wasn't going to marry Max.
Speaker 4: I think you could tell that she was doubting it, but I don't think that it was one hundred percent revealed that she wasn't going to do it. I mean, I think the moment she called Chris that was definitely like okay, a little bit of a red flag. And I do think he could see in her face a little bit when she when her mother was talking and she was saying how she would put the dress on and the tiar on, and then when when she wasn't with Richard, she was always thinking about where he was. And so I think that you could tell a little bit on her face that maybe she was having doubts. But I don't think as just a fan and watching that, I would know in that moment that she was going to call the wedding off.
Speaker 1: Were you happy that it was starting to go south a little bit?
Speaker 4: Yes, because I was always a fan of I just wanted my daughter and I, you know, we just recently watched the whole series. That was a beautiful experience for us to watch together. And from the beginning, we always wanted Luke and Laura I to get back to be together. That was just that's what was meant to be.
Speaker 2: Mm hmmm yeah, yeah, Well, now that takes us to the hoopah. Luke makes a hooper for Laura Lyon Max to get married under and as we see that last shot, Lucan Lorelai are standing under it. The love this man has for Laura Li. What kind of strength is that tell us about that?
Speaker 4: I feel like it's what all relationships should be based on, and that's a friendship. I feel like at the end of the day, Luke and Laura Lai are just great friends and that's where their relationship started. And even though maybe he hadn't responded to the invitation of the wedding, he shows up with this grand gesture of not just like a.
Speaker 3: Normal looking simple hoopae.
Speaker 4: I mean, he carved much detail into this hoopa, was really beautiful hoopa. And I think in that moment you realize that Luke's love for Laura Lai is more than maybe like the jealousy.
Speaker 1: Or he right possessive.
Speaker 3: He loves her as a person.
Speaker 4: He respects her as a person, and I think in that moment you really see that that he's accept what Laura La wants to do and he will support her, and he will show up with this beautiful hoopa that's carved and would have taken him so long to do. And I think that's a really beautiful moment where you just see that what a great friend, what a great relationship they have.
Speaker 2: You know, it really really is, because you know what are the percentages of you know, how men respond in these situations when the love of their life are the people that they idealize as their wife and their entire future doesn't choose them in a small town especially, and you have to sort of suffer through watching.
Speaker 1: Her become betrothed to somebody else.
Speaker 3: I mean, says a lot about Luke.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, seeing them stand under the hoop is it's a very powerful piece of foreshattering for what's to come, and it's an image that's iconic in the show. And again, here's the Palladino's just putting a stamp on the relationship, their stamp of approval almost right, all right?
Speaker 1: Now the road trip. Yeah, so Louray barges.
Speaker 2: Into Rory's room and they packed for a road trip, and they're gonna leave five five am. She's not getting married, And I just thought Lauren played that beautifully with the hesitation.
Speaker 1: But then no, I'm.
Speaker 2: Not getting married. We're going on a road trip. What do you feel about her decision to leave? Was she running because she wasn't ready to get married or because Max just wasn't the right guy.
Speaker 3: I think maybe a bit of both.
Speaker 4: I think she makes a decision and it's kind of shocking to Rory at first, but then Rory accepts it and goes with it, and I think she believes deep down in her heart that isn't truly the one.
Speaker 3: And I also feel like.
Speaker 4: Because he's not the one, she's it just doesn't feel right. She's not ready. Yeah, so I feel like it's a bit of both. But I think she just goes with the.
Speaker 3: Decision and it's a beautiful decision to get on the road and yes, in some way, you know, run away and get away.
Speaker 4: But I think that that helps her to get more clarity on her decision of this is not right, it's not the right timing, it's not the right person.
Speaker 1: And again, here we are.
Speaker 2: With this image, the shot at the end of the show where they're stuck at Taylor's red light in front of Luke's. It's almost like Luke Steiner is alive, he knows they're coming. It switches red, right, I mean, just remarkable, impactful shot.
Speaker 1: It just says so much, just great right.
Speaker 3: Writing.
Speaker 2: It really is thrilling to go back and relive this and just sort of see.
Speaker 1: The situations that I was able.
Speaker 2: To be put in by these writers, you know, because you're only as good as is what the writing is. And what a privilege it was to be a part of this and to be in those situations and they Gosh, they really set this relationship up beautifully. I don't know that any other show has done it like this. I'm not a great watcher of television, so I wouldn't know, but I'm sure there are some examples.
Speaker 1: But really feel lucky to be a part of that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the writing was an acting, and I just find that it's timeless, you know, twenty five I'm watching it with my daughter, and it's timeless.
Speaker 4: It's like the writing, the care characters. It's going to leave on forever and ever and be one of the greatest shows ever. And a big part of that is the writing and the acting and the characters.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's just amazing, amazing, gift to humanity. So on Gilmore Girls, because that Amy and Danielle Okay, my contemporaries ran through the list of Gilmore Girls couples. They were ranked seventeen out of nineteen. Okay, Max and Laura life seventeen out of nineteen couples on the show. What'd you think of him as a couple? Would you rank them higher?
Speaker 5: Lower? What?
Speaker 3: I think that's about right? All the relationships right A right.
Speaker 4: I think it was good for when it was and I think it really showed Lorli, you know, and and everybody watching that, Okay, it's just one step closer to her getting with Luke, so.
Speaker 1: Right, exactly exactly.
Speaker 2: It's almost as if they well, it was as if they used these characters to just enhance the Luke and Lorelei vibe. Right, But boy, the detail with which they do it and the way they mess with the audience's emotions, it's it's just it's such a roller coaster, right.
Speaker 1: But it's a joyful one. So your character, Okay, Summer was very flirty with Tristan.
Speaker 3: First day at work, let me tell you, so.
Speaker 1: Go ahead, tell us about that.
Speaker 3: So, actually I was cast in the pilot. I was girl number four.
Speaker 1: Oh really Online.
Speaker 4: The costing directors just pulled me back and said, we have a role for you for Summer. I remember my first day. I'm from Australia, originally I was eighteen years old. I'd moved straight off to high school. Was my first job. My first day on set was kissing Chad Michael Maray and not just like you know, a little kiss, It's like major makeout session. And being eighteen year old, you know, fresh off the plane from Australia. I was like, Okay, this is pretty uh, this is pretty fun. It was a pretty first day at work for me on the guild.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: Do you remember walking around stars Hollow when you were filming the show.
Speaker 1: What were your impressions.
Speaker 4: I just felt so grateful and I felt and I could tell that it was an amazing production and everybody was so kind and helpful, and it was very professional, and it just felt there was just like something in the air. It just felt special and I knew I was being part of something that was.
Speaker 3: That was that was going to live on for a while.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 2: It did feel that way, didn't it. Because they'd gone to such lengths and expense in such detail to rebuild what was you know, what is Unionville up in Toronto. They rebuilt the entire town and you have the entire back lot at Warner Brothers and it's huh us with this little show on the WB and then the CW what so. Yeah, it was quite something, quite a great feeling, I mean, talk about feelings supported.
Speaker 1: Can you relate to Summer's character at all?
Speaker 2: Have you ever been in those situations before with a boyfriend or guy you were dating?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I guess I can. I definitely.
Speaker 4: At the time, I was very young. I was eighteen, and so yeah, I could definitely relate to that. I don't necesssarily see myself as like the mean girl or like the kind of I feel like she was a little she knew that he liked her, and she knew kind of play with him and use your power. So yeah, I think I've been in similar circumstances.
Speaker 3: But I could relate to it definitely being so young, and you know, at the time, I had a boyfriend and so being in love and young, and yeah, it was definitely a fun experience.
Speaker 1: You can get recognized a lot for being on the show.
Speaker 3: Do you know what I actually do, It's more with my kids.
Speaker 4: I have a son and a daughter, and so over the years, so many people have come up to me and said, I saw you on Gilmore Girls and my daughter and I so many people expressed to me that it's the show that they watch with their daughter. And you know, this day and age, there's not a lot of shows you can sit down and watch with your kids that's like appropriate that the mother will like and the daughter will like. Even my son and my husband would watch some episodes with this but it was really something special that I share with.
Speaker 3: My daughter, and I have so many women and daughters have expressed that to me too, and I'm like, how did you recognize me? I was eighteen years old. They're like, we just it's pretty sweet.
Speaker 1: What characters do you relate to the most in the show.
Speaker 4: I think I relate to Rory. I think I could say that when I was younger filming it. I love Laura's character. I mean, I just think she's so fun and I hope I'm as fun of a mom as she is to my daughter.
Speaker 2: So of all the characters, who would you want to be friends with in real life?
Speaker 3: That's a good question.
Speaker 4: Well, I would love to be friends with Laura II, but I have a very special connection. I think Babet is hilarious.
Speaker 3: Just think that she.
Speaker 4: Is so funny and when you would come on the screen, she would just her voice, her lines.
Speaker 3: Love to hang out with her. I think she would be really fun.
Speaker 2: She was terrific on set, just so much fun to be around, the stories, the songs, just the humor and the love and the life coming.
Speaker 1: Out of her as very special.
Speaker 2: All right, So other than Luke, Okay, we've established that you like that relationship best.
Speaker 1: Who was your favorite boyfriend of Lorealize?
Speaker 3: Oh? Okay, other than Luke, Other than Luca. I mean I think I loved the Christopher.
Speaker 4: I like that because I felt like it was sweet that they kind of came together, and even though deep down I always wanted her to be with Luke, I did like the Christopher dynamic. I thought that that was sweet and served its purpose throughout the show, So I play that would be my second favorite.
Speaker 2: Okay, you're ready for rapid fire. Here we go, let's do it fast in your seatbelt. Pop tarts or pancakes? Oh, pancakes, parasital Lane?
Speaker 3: Oh Lane?
Speaker 1: Who talks faster?
Speaker 2: Roy Or Lorelai, Loralai, Chiltern or Yale, Chilton, Paul or Winter follow Winter Fallower Winter?
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh okay fall.
Speaker 1: Least favorite character.
Speaker 3: Oh, I don't think that's That's a tough question. There's no no one. I didn't. I liked everybody.
Speaker 1: Huh.
Speaker 2: That's actually an easy, easy answer for most fans. But I'm not going to tell you Luke's Diner or Friday Night dinner.
Speaker 1: Lukes Diner is what you said? Okay? Good?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 1: Team Dean jess Er Logan Dean. Dean why.
Speaker 4: I just always loved their relationship. I just thought it was really sweet. I felt like he always treated her like the way that she should be treated, and I just I just thought it was sweet and innocent.
Speaker 3: He was always my favorite with her.
Speaker 1: He was. He was very sweet with her.
Speaker 2: He's always sweet with her, isn't he. He gets a little unhinged too, don't he. But he stands his ground, does he. Sometime He might be a little harsh sometimes, but he is. He is very doting, isn't he. He really, he really loves her.
Speaker 3: He treated her.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Wow, what do you think You remember that scene where Richard when Dean was she brought Dean to Friday night dinner and Richard really gave him the once over?
Speaker 1: What'd you think of that? Was that uncomfortable for you?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I felt bad for him for sure.
Speaker 1: All Right, Well, that's going to wrap it up for this episode. Jacqueline.
Speaker 2: It has been a pleasure meeting you and talking to you and going through this quite wonderful episode. What'd you think of this episode overall compared to the rest of the seasons.
Speaker 3: It was a big one.
Speaker 4: I think it was really it was a big moment in time as the first time that we all saw you know this, Okay, she's not going to get married, And I think the bachelor Thrette potty was funny in its own way, and having her mother there and then yeah, I think it was definitely you know, it begins with them tasting all the cakes and that sweet relationship they have, that back and forth, and then it ends with them together, you know, and it just really is an episode where you just really see how close Laura and Rory are there, their.
Speaker 3: Bonds so special, and it's so inspiring.
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree, big episode Pivotal really puts the wind in the sails and the Luke Lorelai thing, but it's more importantly the relationship between Rory and Laurlai right because.
Speaker 1: They're there their relationship.
Speaker 2: I think that's really Ultimately what laurla I was deciding is like, I have limited time with my daughter and that time is so valuable.
Speaker 1: To me, so special to us.
Speaker 2: Why am I sharing it with this man that we're not just not clicking on all levels?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: So great decision anyway, Really enjoyed speaking with you. Good luck on your world Trek. I wish you the best to you you and your family. Say hi to your daughter for me, and all the best to you, Jacqueline.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much, such an take.
Speaker 5: Care, hey everybody, and up again.
Speaker 2: Follow us on Instagram at i Am All In podcast and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com