Speaker 1: What's that at the bed? It's spooky, Hey Joky, I'm really sure it's dead. It's coming this way.
Speaker 2: Wait a minute, and I ghosted.
Speaker 1: As Nanda's police. Hey boo, it's me Ras and welcome to Ghosted by Raz Hernandez, the podcast where I talk to people that I like about the paranormal. This week, I am joined by one of my favorite people in the whole wide world, someone who really doesn't need an introduction, even though I do give her one. Karen Kilgeriff is back on the show. Before we get to that, I was looking through my email and I found this story that isn't really that spooky, but whatever, we gotta we gotta go over this one. Okay, this one comes from Abigail. Abigail writes Hi Roz about a year ago, my boyfriend and I were traveling to San Diego for a conference. The conference took place at the Hotel del Coronado, which is notorious for being haunted by quote beautiful stranger Kate Morgan. This was fascinating to me, so I listened to a few podcasts and read about Kate. In short, she showed up at the hotel used in alias and stayed in her room for days before allegedly dying by suicide on the staircase. Her stay and her death were both suspicious. Our room was booked by the organization hosting the conference, so we didn't know where we were staying until we arrived. We picked up our key and headed to our room, and just before we got there, I stopped him. I googled Kate's room number and it was the room we were staying in. After we went in, I made a statement about how we were just there to visit, that we didn't mean any harm and we would be respectful. I also asked her not to do anything on Thursday morning because I had to take a test in the room. If Kate was there with us, she was a fabulous hostess because we didn't have any paranormal experiences. What we did have, however, was a lot of other hotel guests showing up at all hours of the night to talk to Kate. For the most part, it was harmless. People would knock on the doors repeatedly, and sometimes my boyfriend would knock back for fun. Another time, we were making small talk with a family and the elevator, and when we shared that we were in the haunted room. The dad asked if he could come in and see it. His wife reminded him that that was an odd request. The weirdest encounter was when a seemingly drunk dad and his children showed up and banged on our door for forty five minutes. They tried to look through the peep hole, and they were trying to unlock the door. The dad kept talking directly to Kate about her death see attached recordings. In hindsight, I would have opened the door or asked them to leave, but I really didn't even want to deal with that. Thanks Abby, and now Abby did include some recordings that I don't know if they would play necessarily as well on the podcast, so I won't. I won't include them here. But I did watch the videos, and there is indeed a drunk dad talking through the door to the ghost. And I love that your boyfriend knocked back, because, oh my god, that is where I would have started. If it me, I would have been on the other side of that door. Oh my god. I would have been like, if you slip a twenty under the door, I won't haunt you tonight, or like something, you know what I mean. I would have tried to. I would have tried to make money on of it. And I'll be honest with you, but that is so funny and strange that that happened. That is a very iconic resort that I have stayed at before, and I have gone looking for the ghost of Kate and have not encountered her. But it's a very famous story here in California and I've stayed there before. It's when the movie Some like it hot as well with Marilyn Monroe. It's a great place. People should check it out, but don't bother because people actually do sleep in those rooms. Don't be weird. Oh and one other thing, how could I forget this? I have a very exciting announcement in Los Angeles on my March fifth, twenty twenty four. I am going to be doing a live show, Honey, a live ghosted recorded in front of a studio audience. And this is going to be the biggest one I have ever had. It's going to be in a larger space than I've ever done Largo at the Coronet Theater in Los Angeles, which is such an iconic place. I love performing there and from talking to some staff members, they have told me that it is believed that the place is haunted. It has quite the history. So I will be on stage with some celebrity guests, some favorites of yours. We're gonna be talking spooky dolls. We're gonna be doing some psychic gee kind of stuff. I have a lot up my sleeve for this one, so please come to the show. I have got a link in my bio on Instagram at r Hernandez, or you can just go to Largo's website, which is Largo Dashla dot com. I'll see you there anyway. Here's another conversation between me and the iconic Karen Kilgariff. I'm with the show, all right, everybody be cool. The boss is here. I am joined today by podcasting icon and executive producer of this very podcast. Actually you know her from my favorite Murder and do you need a ride? It is Karen Kilgareff.
Speaker 3: Rus How are you hi?
Speaker 1: Thanks for coming back?
Speaker 3: Were you waiting for a whole song? I wanted to do a little like opening moment.
Speaker 1: Well, often when I think of you, I think of how beautiful you're singing voices. People know it from the theme songs of the podcasts that you're on told you this before. I'm obsessed with your live album. I love it.
Speaker 3: Thank you Rush.
Speaker 1: Your voice is gorgeous and I think you're hilarious.
Speaker 3: I appreciate that. I think a worthwhile thing to say on the back of that compliment. I did not want to do that album. I was very scared to do it, uh huh, and thought it was kind of a bad idea. And I remembered having met one time Elliott Smith at Largo in the early two thousands. He came on and was like the musical guest on a comedy show that me and Marilyn Rice cub did as the Girls Guitar Club, which was our first kind of version of playing music publicly, and we were terrible. And that was the whole bit is we don't know how to play the time we're going to do a concert anyway, Like he was friends with the owner whatever, agreed to come and do like three songs. There were no joke, like maybe twelve people in the audience at the most. My friend David Knowles was there, who I went to grammar school and high school with, and he was like, I can't believe I got to be here for this. That was the craziest experience of like a private Elliot Smith show essentially cool, right, And after the show, I remember standing there watching him talk about how much he hates his own singing voice, and I was like, you just enthralled, Like you made people in this room feel like they were lucky to be here and lucky to be alive. And you're not gonna take part in that in any way. You're gonna just always have to say no to that. Like it made me sad, but it also made me go, like, this is why they say, you know, Martha Grammer, whoever says, whatever you do, whatever you put out there, it's none of your business. Like, once it's out of you and people think this or that of it, just get away from that because you're the last person who can judge what you do. I took those two ideas, smash them together and was like, I'm going to make this record. I did, and I'm glad I did.
Speaker 1: Cool Karen, Yes, Rose. First question, Okay, what is ghosts?
Speaker 3: Webster's Dictionary defines ghosts as the plural of ghost.
Speaker 1: So you've been on the show before, You've told one of the most iconic ghost stories in the history of podcasting. Yes, it's a good one. People go back and listen. It was recorded in early mid twenty twenty at some point. I can't remember what else was going on at that time, but you need to listen to the story. It's real good. But since then, I mean, have you had any other experiences of any sort?
Speaker 3: Well, I guess this is one, but there's no ghost hugging. I wasn't directly impacted. But my aunt Jean's house. It's just really funny because it's been in the family for a while. Some people bought it ten years ago, they sold it back. Now the family has it yain. It's very exciting and so we're there a lot more kind of redoing it. It's a fixer wrapper. So when I was twelve years old, my uncle Steve, who used to live there, died of a heart attack. And he was fifty years old. He was three years younger than me right now, Oh wow, and he just dropped dead. I mean, he smoked several packs of cigarettes to day. It was a very you know, mid seventies lifestyle. But it was of course incredibly shocking and like no one saw coming. And so when the natural generation came and like my cousin who had been out of town, came back to town, got married, started a family. His two toddlers, who were like you know, two and four, say, wouldn't go into the house. So they would always go and he would go up there to you know, see his mom and get stuff. They wouldn't go play in the front room. They sat on the front porch always and they didn't want to go inside. But it's just uncle Steve, I know. But they never knew.
Speaker 1: Him, right, Oh, so they're like, who's that man?
Speaker 3: They don't know who the man is. Also, then I guess my cousin found out the original house and it was like a little farmhouse on this property. The wife shot the husband in the house.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: So it was just a very interesting thing because then I went out there one day by myself, and I thought I was going to record a podcast out there because I was staying with my dad. But I was like, I just need some quiet, so I'll go set up out there. Well suddenly the WiFi doesn't work. All everything kind of goes on. The Fritz and my dogs who are just like free to rome because it's like a big kind of a field next to a driveway or whatever. They were sitting on the front porch. They were waiting for me. They didn't want to be outside anymore, but they wouldn't come into the house, which I've never seen them do.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: There was just that kind of feeling of like, oh, yeah, this is going to be a consideration, like if I stay out here, or if my sister and I stown or whatever, if everybody goes like, hey, let's have a slumber party. It's like, but also there could be a little bit of maybe some dark energy or just some trapped energy. We don't know.
Speaker 1: Do you think those people that bought the house and then sold it back, do you think that they probably had experiences with the ghosts.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't see how you couldn't because he's been there since nineteen eighty two. Wow. And my adult cousin said he's seen things like out of his peripheral vision, Like he's definitely had a bunch of experiences in that house. So I don't know.
Speaker 1: I heard a lot of these stories with like a family member that sticks around. It's not like your stories of things are flying all the time and like it's not that, but like every once in a while, you get a little smell or a little a little what was that? Oh, it's uncle Steve. Like that's how the house I grew up in was my grandma. It would be like, oh, she's here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, people feel things on the back of their neck or like a touch on their back, but no one's there. They're the only one there. There's that, but it is secondhand, so I can't personally verify. But it's the kind of thing where just like, well, it makes a lot of sense because he certainly had no intention of going anywhere. And right right, the piece of ghost theory that I like is that idea that we're all just energy and it's all energy exchange, and if your timeline is suddenly stopped and the energy is like spikes or whatever, I don't know, that piece of it makes sense to me totally, like energy left behind because that already happens, like human radiation kind of.
Speaker 1: Absolutely like yeah, where's that gonna go? And if you're like wait a second, I'm dead, like not yet, like no, this is my house, Yes, I'm gonna go go about my life. I don't know, I see it for sure.
Speaker 3: It makes sense. And also I think although my uncle Steve was a lovely human being and very fun and very great. He was one of those dads that was absentee for his kids. So then when we came around, like we were the next door neighbors. When we came around, I was two years old, so it was like he got to do it all over again. But he was home and like working on this little farm. And so I think there's a chance that as he lay dying in his own garage, he had all these horrible regrets of like what he did and didn't do concerning his family. And I think that might be the thing that makes people stick around. Yeah, unfinished business. But maybe that's just all the movies I've seen.
Speaker 1: For my grandma, I always thought that it was because I was the youngest grandchild and she didn't have enough time with me. Hmm, so she would like stick around to be like I'm your grandma too.
Speaker 3: That was my theory, and it felt like loving to you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it's still a ghost to me.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I always say this, but like I don't care who you are. If you're gonna disappear in front of my eyes, you're terrifying grandma or not.
Speaker 3: Now do you ascribe to any of those like ghost horror movie tropes where like they don't know they're dead, they don't know they're scaring you because they think they're just in the room with you.
Speaker 1: Oh. I definitely think that that is a thing as well, where sometimes it's a ghost that's just like hey, guys, and then everyone's like or just like, you have something on your shoulder and they're like, oh, let me just get that for you, and then you're like, something touched me.
Speaker 3: My shoulder's freezing cold, I can't move it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Or I think it's a lot of like tiptoeing around the house like I don't want to bother anybody, and then they bump into something and then something falls over and then everyone screams. I definitely think it's a lot of innocent they don't want to scare you, right. And then there's the ones that are like how I would be, frankly, which is here we go, I'm a ghost. I am going to scare you now intentional of course, Oh my god, it's theater. I would be like, let's go, I'm playing the part of a ghost now and I'm going to spook.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how great is it if you love a house that you live in, and then there's people that move in that You're like, I don't like these people. I'm going to scare them out of here. I have nowhere else to be, I'm dad. Yeah, like, I might as well have fun with that.
Speaker 3: That's what we call the beetlejuice approach.
Speaker 1: The beetle juice. Wait, have you ever looked into as the host of my favorite murder? What the story is with the woman that shot her husband?
Speaker 3: No? I just found out about it. All that stuff was a recent thing that happened with my aunt's house. So all the stories are like coming back now. So everyone just started to talk about these things were my cousin's, Like, they ever tell me about that time that I was there? And then something just touched my back where I was like, hold on, I didn't know it was to the extent that it was like while I was away in the nineties two thousands, they were like growing up there and having these weird experiences.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. So well I did a little research oh about that? No, not that something else. Sorry, it's like, what are the I happen to know ahead of time? No, but I did do some research about a completely different case. Okay, This one takes place in Bridgeport, Connecticut.
Speaker 3: Ooh you ever been? No me, neither. I don't know Connecticut except for in movies. That's for rich people who do business in New York live.
Speaker 1: Rich people love it, and ghosts love it, do they? Yes, there's been a couple of famous I mean, there's the movie The Haunting in Connecticut, which is based on a true story. This one is not that, but it is famous. It is known often as the Bridgeport polter Geist.
Speaker 3: Ooh ooh.
Speaker 1: So how do you feel about a Poultergeist?
Speaker 3: First of all, I feel like they're the ones where you have like the least chance for reason or for wrapping it up in a reasonable way. Yeah, based on the movies I've seen, in the books I've read, Poulter guys just don't give a shit. They're doing a whole other thing. They could be a demon, or they could be a restless spirit. Their grave was paved over, the house was built over something. Yeah, then they get into people and you get the whole Amityville horror thing happen, you know what I mean. Like it's the truly scary ghost dangerous.
Speaker 1: I'm always like, if it's something that's moving things around all the time, Like why couldn't it just pick up a knife and stab you? Like yeah, And a lot of times there's yeah, kind of no rhyme or reason. A lot of times it's believed to be telekinesis or psychokinesis kind of carry vibes stemming from a person. Yes, where they can't it's control it. I mean Carrie, she really had.
Speaker 3: Control of it until her emotions were triggered at the prom.
Speaker 1: Yes, but even with that, she could turn her those big old bug eyes and then she could make you know, the fire hose spray people. Like a lot of times it's just like, ah, I've got a lot of emotions and hormones and whatever, and then like things are just like flying off the walls and like they can't control it per se.
Speaker 3: Yes, that makes sense.
Speaker 1: And I want telekinesis so bad and I'm trying hard.
Speaker 3: And you want to feel that experience of the chaos of it, or you just want superpowers?
Speaker 1: I want superpowers.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, I will say something that I've done before, and I don't think I am the first person to do this, but I have I have encountered people that have given me attitude out in public, and I act like I'm going to put a curse on.
Speaker 3: Them, and what is that? Through gesturing or words, how I'll be like.
Speaker 1: It, like I'm putting a curse on them.
Speaker 3: Listener, she curled up kind of like a Halloween cat, but then this big smile came across her face and then she just did zapping fingers. That's that's the curse. I mean, I would be scared shitless if that happened to me at the grocery store.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. Anyway, I don't have superpowers, but you know what, in Bridgeport, Connecticut, there was a house that had superpowers. A lot of my research came from a channel on YouTube called pandocs pand Dogs yep, hand dogs, as well as there was an article from the lineup which was really good. And then I also found some witness interviews on YouTube. So this took place in the seventies. We're talking about nine six six Linley Street and Bridgeport, Connecticut. It's a house that is small, three bedrooms, built in nineteen twenty three. All right, let's meet our stars, Jerry and Laura Goodin. They move in in nineteen sixty. Jerry, he's an electrician. He had dreams of being a priest. When he was younger, they adopted a girl named Marcy, and Laura was homeschooling Marcy because she had a hard time at school. She wasn't getting along with kids and there was lots of bullying, so they brought her home for homeschool. And about a year after they had brought her home. Now, I don't know if it's connected or not, but nothing really happened in the house from nineteen sixty until nineteen seventy two, so they adopted her. I believe around nineteen seventy one nineteen seventy two is the first time something poltergeisty happened. Okay, so they call the police because they keep hearing rhythmic knocking on the walls in the middle of the night and it would last into the morning. Now, of course it's like they go out, they look, they don't just jump to calling the police. And even with police, a lot of these stories, I'm not gonna lie, there's a lot of similarities to these. Usually starts with you call the police because you don't know who to call. You just hear that it sounds like a human is knocking, yes, and then the police will come and they'll be like, oh, there's nothing whatever. It gets more interesting with the police as we go on here. So they're calling everyone at this point, they call the gas people, they call the plumbers. Everyone's like, girl, Jerry Gooden, there's nobody. It's just knocking and we don't know. So then they start seeing handprints and footprints around the house with no explanation. Different things start happening around the house, like windows shattering, curtains falling, and honey, the knockers kept on knocks in nineteen seventy four, so it's been two years of this. Now. This is when the Poulter guys. She's like, I am warmed up and I am ready for my moment.
Speaker 3: Let's do this. Let's knock some vases off the mantle exactly.
Speaker 1: So Jerry and Loa Goudain they come home one day from the Pigley Wiggly or some kind of They were at a grocery store. It's November twenty third, so around Thanksgiving time. They probably had arms full of turkeys. They come into the house and their daughter, Marcy, well I should say she's also her name was Marcia, but also went by Marcy. She's taking a nap and they come into the house and they're like, Marcy, what is going on in here? The TV is laying face down. Jerry puts it back where it belongs, and he goes to get some of these groceries out. And Jerry and Laura say, at this moment, they started seeing dishes levitate out of the sink and smash. What knives start flying, the refrigerator begins floating and rotating in the air. What apparently they had three in this house, which is great, I mean rich, Yeah, I mean that's pretty great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is.
Speaker 1: So three televisions. The main one fell on Laura's toes and it broke one of them.
Speaker 3: Ooh.
Speaker 1: So they're over here like oky, like this is weird. This has never happened in our house before. And they're like, whatever, let's just make some dinner. We're gonna eat it. Like no, yeah, now this was you. Where would you be at if all of a sudden, You've lived in this house now for fourteen years and nothing like this has ever happened.
Speaker 3: I gotta say. The second knives rise up out of the straining rack or whatever it's called, the drying rack, Yeah, and start flying anywhere goodbye bye, and then the refrigerator part, which is like, so did the refrigerator land and you had to plug it back in? Like how is it possible? So they're just going to go into full denial and be like get stuff out of the fridge and fry it up in a pan, Like how scared would you be?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Just ignore it, Just ignore it and eat a full meal.
Speaker 1: Oh past the cranberry sauce.
Speaker 3: Get prepared for Thanksgiving with our pre Thanksgiving meals. I just would leave the house. I think I would first involve a neighbor, because I think you're right when you involve the police, it's just an official who's going to come and tell you you're crazy. I feel like, yeah, you know, on average, I don't think it's easy to get the police to do a buy in on a full Poultergeist haunting exactly. But I would get a neighbor kind of like, can you please look?
Speaker 1: I recently was scrolling and I don't know if it was America's Got Talent or one of these, but I saw that old classic act where they chuck a knife or shoot a bow and arrow with a person got an apple on their hair. Yeah, how is that still. I don't know. Sorry, I was just thinking about that when I was thinking about knives being thrown. Oh no, it was like one of these ones where the person's kind of like got their arms out and the person's chucking knives around their body and into the wood. You better hope that it's the ghost of that person, because I don't want them hitting me.
Speaker 3: Well, can I say the one thing I know about those things, and this is a bit of a ruin, it's the boards they're leaning against. The knives are coming out of those boards.
Speaker 1: No, yeah, yeah, So where does the knife go when they throw it?
Speaker 3: They don't throw it, their hand goes down, right, it's still in their hand. But you're never looking at that because oh my god, this person could get hit with a knife. All eyes are on the person on the board. The reason we're still seeing that trick up unto today and it has an advance is because they have to make a new board with a thing that's like effectively that distracting to come out of it. Working on talk shows learned a lot of like behind the scenes heartbreaker like magic and entertainment secrets. I was at one party once where I told one of them and everyone got so bummed out, and I was like, oh, okay, I'm not going to do that anymore. But that one is kind of a vaudeville classic.
Speaker 1: Now I want that job. Now I want to be the lady that just has to lay there. Yep, that sounds like a great gig.
Speaker 3: Okay, there's no risk, there's no risk.
Speaker 1: You just lay there. You don't even have to move, and then everyone applause and they're so concerned about you, and everyone's focused on you. I want that job.
Speaker 3: And you get to dress like a champion ice skater. That's the only chance you get to wear kind of like a beaded leotard, right, kind of fishnet combo. Unless you're me unless one of my who am I talking to?
Speaker 1: I see you're talking to you. All I have is ice skater regalia. No ice skates, just just from the ankle up. Yeah, So back to this story. Yes, So they're eating their dinner and throughout that night, the kitchen table at Jairs topple over. Curtain rods are fallen left and right. Don't you dare forget about the knocking.
Speaker 3: So the next so they're they're powering through. They're just like each your vegetables, like exactly, yep, wow, okay, very Connecticut.
Speaker 1: Yes, and we have to keep in mind that this is a Catholic family because the man wanted to be a priest when he was a kid, right, So I don't know, I feel like that plays into some of this a little bit as we go on here. Okay, so the next morning they wake up, Mmm, that was weird last night, but whatever. Jerry walking around the house and the house is tore up. These Poulter guys had a rager when they were sleeping, and curiously, what he notices is that the family's pictures of Jesus are ripped and the crucifixes are damaged. Also some other stuff that's happening on this morning. The recliners are opening and closing on their own.
Speaker 3: Which sounds kind of cool, but it would look great. It sounds cool, Yeah, it would be really fun.
Speaker 1: The TV is, I guess playing the sound of a doorbell. I don't know what that's all about. This is when they decide we got to get out of here, and they actually do have a friend that they call over to take a look. Of course, they call the cops and Laura goes to the hospital because she broke her one toe from the TV fallen on it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, although you can't, they can't do anything for you at the hospital. Save your money and tape your toes together, because there's nothing that can be done. Just a tip from me, I know.
Speaker 1: So they call this officer over. He goes in, and sure enough, the poulter Geist is like, I don't care if it's a cop, come on in, I'm not going anywhere. And he goes in and he looks around and he does he does one of these. Uh, we're gonna need a bigger boat. He calls back up. At this point, there's a whole gaggle of police officers that are snooping around the house and they are seeing TVs and refrigerators floating. A crucifix spun around at one point and hit one of them in the chest. As this one day is going on, the firemen get there. There's approximately twenty witnesses in the house.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: And it's at this point that the smell of sulfur fills the air.
Speaker 3: I was just gonna say, this sounds like demons are involved.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: That's a guest, though. You tell me.
Speaker 1: It's a very educated guest based on what we know or you know, the smells all fulfills the air, and cops look at each other, they say, whoever smelted Delta? And the polter guys said, it's me, bitch.
Speaker 3: It's me, bitch. Hi the problem, it's me.
Speaker 1: So one officer actually ran out of the house and claims, here's the thing, Karen. If there weren't official police reports about this, of which there are many, I would be like, what, yeah, because these cops, I mean, they can't be falsifying reports. They are saying what they experienced in these reports. Yeah, and there's this one who runs out of the house and says, I am about to quit my job because he claims that their cat started talking to him.
Speaker 3: No, no, I've never heard of that in a Poldergeist story.
Speaker 1: Oh you've never seen hocus Pocus. Are we just gonna erase the contributions of Thackeray Binks or was it Max from Sabrina the Teenage Witch, the nineties sitcom?
Speaker 3: Well? What did the cat say? Did the cops say? Is it quoted that?
Speaker 1: I don't know specifically, but the coop was very concerned and very.
Speaker 3: Convinced that would be scary.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would quit my job.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So one of their neighbors was into this kind of stuff and she's like, oh, I know who to call. M Ed and Lorraine Warren legends. So you know about these people.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, okay.
Speaker 1: Now they're controversial, especially in hindsight. My thing I always say about them. I think it's great what they did for, you know, getting the word out about this kind of study and whatever. But they're very jesusy. Everything's a demon to them.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I have spoken to a few people that have worked with them in the past that did not love what they did. I don't know. There's also some other tellols that have been done to your own research people.
Speaker 3: But anyway, if it's not a thing where you can get a license for it or there's like school for it or whatever, these are people that are saying, we made up a service and we're telling you how reality is exactly, which is one perspective, and maybe they help. But also, yeah, that's very interesting. I just always saw them as good only because during the Conjuring film series, they always come in when people need the most, and you know, it's so heartwarming to have Patrick Wilson in your house when you're scared, absolutely, but yeah, I could see where they're their own energy coming in.
Speaker 1: Yes, and you now I think those are based on a true story from what I've heard. Yeah, so I don't know. But anyway, so they call the men. They didn't live too far away from there. They arrive, They got a priest and a seminary student with them. I mean, they are again very they're very Catholic. So at this point, the cops are outside doing crowd control because word has spread. Oh shit, yeah, there's not much going on in Bridgeport that day.
Speaker 3: The cat talk to you, just went screaming into the streets and was telling everyone he could find.
Speaker 1: Come on over. We got a poultry. Guys, we are refrigerators flying. I saw an interview with Ed Warren. Well, it was with Ed and Lorraine Warren on YouTube, and Ed says there was between ten and fifteen thousand people outside of the house. What that's what he says. And Lorrain in this interview says, for forty eight hours, it was the number one international headline this house because there were so many witnesses. I mean, a refrigerator lifting that kind of stuff. Yeah, I'd want to see that for myself for sure. This is the point of the story where I would be out there selling merch. Okay, I'd be making T shirts, keychains, beer koozies. I got knocked at the Bridgeport Poulter guys like, I don't know, I would come up with something real quick and try to make some money.
Speaker 3: Oh yes, a talking the cat has a little talking bubble that says, come on over to the house on Haunted Lane.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, I would be making talking cats, talking cat, ventriloquist dummies, all of it. So at this point, everyone is looking at Marcie. They're like, girl, what's going on here? Like they're thinking that she has something to do with it, whether it's paranormally like she's the root of it of this Poulter guys, or is she the one that's like somehow doing all this stuff to get more attention. Hoax sir, Yeah, a hoax sir.
Speaker 3: How old was Marcy?
Speaker 1: Sorry, you know, I couldn't find an exact number. I believe at the oldest she would be preteen based on what I was reading.
Speaker 3: Gotcha.
Speaker 1: One thing I was reading about the cops showed up and they thought it was kind of weird that she was just sitting there watching cartoons. But yeah, somewhere between baby and thirteen somewhere, as my guess, so everyone looking at her. Personally, my number one suspect would be the cat. I think that the cat could be throwing things and causing some of the chaos. So Lorraine Warren goes into Marcie's room and she gets nauseous. She says that she starts to see a second degree burn forming.
Speaker 3: On her wrist, on Lorrain's own wrist.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's what she says. Okay, Marcie is sitting on a recliner talking to the police. Karen, this is insane, what they say. She's talking to the police. She's sitting on the recliner, the whole seventies recliner. Yes, raises to the ceiling, flipped three hundred and sixty degrees in a dropped around the ground. Ooh, if I saw a recliner, a big old lazy boy with a little girl in it lifting to the like, there's no it just sounds so insane. But again, there's a lot of witnesses.
Speaker 3: So right, there's a lot of witnesses. And also now we're moving into the nobody's safe realm, because if it's like an entity that's trying to hurt a child. To me, that feels like it's next level in the haunting movie that I'm watching. Yeah, there's one thing when it's like the vase is knocking around, it's genuinely scaring people, but it's like it wants to harm that child potentially, or use the child as an example. Like everybody get out of there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, break in toes, throwing crucifixes, throwing knives. It's just not it's not a safe place. And again, this part of the story is all just three days and nights. Wow, it was all happening at once. And at this point Adam Lorraine Warren come to a very logical conclusion. They say, all right, it's demons. That's what we've diagnosed this one hundred percent. It's got to be demons. So one day in these three days, the kitchen starts to get cold and the lights flicker and a yellow mist is forming. Ry claims that he saw four figures in it. He starts saying prayers, he's spraying holy water all over the place. He's going through the house and he says that the figures are following him around. The priest and the Warrens come back to bless the house and they say that they saw a shadowy figure. Then Marcy, during all this chaos, goes to one of the officers, Hey, come over here. She goes, guess what it's me doing all this shit?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 1: She makes a confession. She says, it's me. I'm doing it. Now. Whether she said this or not, we don't know. This is where a little bit of the controversy comes into play, because the cops are like, all right, she has admitted it's her. It's just a teenage girl. She's you know, puppeteering this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she's spinning a refrigerator in the air.
Speaker 1: Yeah. They're like, sure it's her. Yeah. They're like, all right, everyone get out, like let's go, and kind of everyone is like thank god, Like, first of all, very expensive for taxpayers to be paid for the cops. That's right to be, you know, doing all this crowd control. They've got cops parked out there all night. The police chief is over it, so they kind of now, I don't know if she really said that or not, but either way, they get to a point where they're like, we're just gonna say it's the little girl. Please ten thousand people outside, go get a hobby. We're done here, and the good and family told the Warrens, all right, we're good everyone. Yes, is kind of like, but how did she do the refrigerator? Yeah, and all this other stuff the recliners and I don't know. Apparently the police chief said publicly, the little girl is a ventriloquist and the cat story that you heard, she is able to throw her voice and she gave them the old Jeff Dunham and that's that.
Speaker 3: But it was a cat speaking that scared a grown policeman to the degree where he wanted to quit his job, sacrifice his pension, give up everything he'd maybe worked for for, you know, zero to fifteen years. Yeah, it wasn't like a little girl being like get out of the house. It's like it was believable enough so that he went running and telling people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think that obviously the police chief was a little embarrassed, like, I've got my grown men out here in this house saying that cats are talking and refrigerators are lifting up in the air. This is not a good look for us. We just got to leave this and they did, and the Warrens have definitely talked about this case a lot over the years. I mean, they're both deceased now, but they talked about it, and they don't believe that it was her, even in a paranormal way, because stuff would happen when she was like miles away from the house. But then I'm a little bit confused because in this one interview I was listening to, Lorraine was saying that apparently, you know, she was adopted, and the last home she was at there were strange occurrences happening.
Speaker 3: So hmm.
Speaker 1: Either way, this particular case, apparently it continued for a few weeks and kind of died down. And that is the Bridgeport poltergeist.
Speaker 3: Okay, Can I just say that it reminds me of the original ghost story I told you, Yeah, that happened in college, same exact thing, where we were in such denial, even though weird things were happening and people were going, you know, like, why'd you do the dishes in the middle of the night type of stuff, and we just ignored it and ignored it and ignored it. And then even after it happened, like I had my sister come pick me up and then the next day she just brought me back. It's not like we immediately moved out or anything. Is it just people get so freaked out and overwhelmed, where like as long as things aren't flying across the room, they're like, I guess this is fine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean to quit a job or to move out of a house that's so serious and takes so much out of a person's life. And yeah, to do that because you believe there's an invisible person throwing things and doing dishes and whatever, you feel like a crazy person admitting that, right, And I feel like it gets to this point where you're like, I'm an adult, come on, this is crazy. Yeah, that's I think a lot of times what keeps people around with this stuff? And I'm very grateful for them because then I have stuff to talk about on this podcast.
Speaker 3: Well, and it is a fascinating thing of what does ultimately solve these situations or make them stop happening. Is there some sort of point where the ghost gets what they want? Or is it the people getting to a certain place, Like if all those events died down, like what was it? Did anybody get what they wanted in this scenario?
Speaker 1: Well? I think like when you're a ghost, it's like, where do you go from recliners tipping upside down?
Speaker 3: For real?
Speaker 1: Like what can you really do? Because you can go back to just knocking, but that's not going to be satisfying for you once you've already pushed it to that limit. So yeah, I think the ghost was like I don't know, I'm like out of ideas honestly, Like I got the crowd here and now I feel like I'm a has been because nobody wants to come around here anymore. And I got the damn cat to start talking.
Speaker 3: Uh, what more do you want from me?
Speaker 1: If we're done, I'm done.
Speaker 3: I wonder if you saying Connecticut's really haunted, maybe the ghost goes to a different house. Maybe there's a little bit of that happening. Oh yeah, I mean I thought I'd throw it out there for theories. Why not?
Speaker 1: But I'm open to all of it.
Speaker 2: Why not?
Speaker 1: You know, ghosts can go all over the place, including haunted dolls. Karen, Can I show you a haunted doll I found on eBay?
Speaker 3: I wish you would.
Speaker 1: It's time for a segment I call the dolls are living, So Karen, these can look like anything. Okay, haunted dolls come in all kinds of forms. And we love a traditional scary little girl with curly hair and lacey dress, and even better if one eyeball's missing. But this one, I will say, not so much scary looking. I don't know, maybe to some people, but it does come with a backstory that's really fun. Giha, if you could, please, could you please introduce Karen to Lucius. So this is Lucius, who is I guess a pumpkin. But it's confusing because he's got arms and legs. He's not just like a circle, so I don't know's I guess he's like an orange looking little plushy type doll with a witch hat on. Yeah, very clearly a halloween kind of off brand beanie baby. Yes you heard of tie t Y. This is Bye Okay, she's not quite a real beanie baby, I don't think. But anyway, it's not about the outside with Lucius. It's about what's going on when you buy Lucius. So currently Lucius is going for forty six dollars on e Bay. Here's what it says. He was forty three when he passed away when one of the members of his coven got mad at him and pushed him off of a roof. He has been a warlock for twenty years and learned a lot, and he started his own coven. They met once a week on a rooftop of a high rise building that he lived in. They would perform rituals and spells. The new guy in his coven like to push his views and opinions even though he was a beginner, and he seemed to have a temper when someone didn't agree with him. At one of their coven meetings, the new guy disagreed with Lucius on how to perform a certain ritual and he started fighting with Lucius. Lucius was trying to calm him down and explain things, but the guy went into a rage and pushed him off of a roof. Now Lucius is looking for a new home. He will gladly cast his magic spells on your behalf. Just tell him what your need is and politely and respectfully ask him to cast a spell on your behalf, and don't forget to thank him. Besides doing magic, he enjoys riding motorcycles and dirt bikes. He also loves watching football. He sometimes turns our lights on and off. He opens and shuts doors and knocks and bangs on doors, walls, and windows. I've even seen him move objects such as a book, coffee cup, pull a chair out, etc. So that's pretty much it. You're interested. I got forty six bucks, Karen.
Speaker 3: I feel like sometimes people get on platforms like eBay and such, and then they treat it like it's their chance to have a creative writing moment, where they're just like, slowly, let's get in here and let's see what I can do.
Speaker 1: Especially during the strike. I did notice a lot of these during the.
Speaker 3: Strike, Yelp reviews that go on and on. Yes, people needing to get it out of them in some way. This has the same feel because I have to say, and maybe that's kind of part of it is Lucia's doesn't look like he would be doing any of those things. And the idea that he was a warlock that got pushed off a roof is really funny when you look at this doll, because it just looks like kind of a new doll that someone got in a claw machine at the airport in Las Vegas around October.
Speaker 1: Okay, maybe I should have explained this to you a little bit more. Oh now it's my bad. I assume that you knew what The idea behind these on eBay is that a person lives a life and dies, and rather than going to heaven or how or anywhere else, they somehow magically end up inside of a doll.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: I don't know how they choose it. I don't know how it happens. It just somehow. This is the doll that Lucius the Warlock found himself.
Speaker 3: That's what I'm calling bullshit on. What I'm saying is, you know we didn't pick this doll. Yeah, this doll looks like it's a rip off jolly Bee character. It is the weirdest like it's almost like there's no design to the doll. It's like a fourth grader made it. Yeah, well, there's nothing scary about this doll.
Speaker 1: Would you own it though? Saying that you don't think.
Speaker 3: It's scary, No, only because it would just collect dust and then I would end up, you know, giving it away or srowing it away or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I just don't see any There's no enjoyment that can come out of this in any direction, because it's not pleasant to look at. I know, he has a kind of a gritty you know, the gritty mascot yes, he has a rip off gritty vibe to him.
Speaker 1: He does look like a mascot for sure.
Speaker 3: Do you want to buy him? Are you interested in this?
Speaker 1: Yeah? That's what this was about, Karen. I just I'm in love with this doll and I was wondering if you think I should buy it.
Speaker 3: I will absolutely give you forty six dollars. If you don't want to spend your own money, I'll sponsor you for the show.
Speaker 1: Karen, Can I play you some ghost voices?
Speaker 3: Sure?
Speaker 2: It's time for EVP or ev plyse all right, Karen, you've done this four years ago.
Speaker 1: Here's what I do. I go to YouTube or TikTok or wherever fine ghost voices are posted, and I find a couple of EVPs electronic voice phenomena. I'm gonna play you too, and I want you to tell me what you hear, okay, and then I'll give you some options, the correct answer being what the person that posted it believes the ghost is saying.
Speaker 3: Got it?
Speaker 1: These are both from the same channel on YouTube, which is called Sinister EVP. This first one is at a cemetery in Rhode Island. What is this ghost saying, Karen? Little clickiness going on there, but you can hear it.
Speaker 3: I heard definitely a whisper, kind of sounded like a man's voice. Will you play it again?
Speaker 1: I would love to.
Speaker 2: Hmm.
Speaker 3: It sounded like pool gang, kind of.
Speaker 1: Pool gang, like the gang at the neighborhood pool.
Speaker 3: Yeah, warning about the pool gang.
Speaker 1: Pool Let me play it. One word said, Mmm, I do hear pool gang.
Speaker 3: But what else could those vowels be saying?
Speaker 1: Well, I will say, sinister EVP did not think it was pool gang.
Speaker 3: Okay, I can't believe I didn't get that one.
Speaker 1: It's one of these four options. Did they think it was a armageddon? B come again? C oh my god? Or D I'm gay? Okay, it's one of those. Let me play it again, come again? They do? It was indeed B come again?
Speaker 3: Yes, congratulations, I'm so excited.
Speaker 1: Okay. One more, This next one, also from sinister EVP. This is at their friend Tom's house, which is haunted.
Speaker 3: Okay, what is it saying? Oh?
Speaker 1: Another whisper?
Speaker 3: We played again?
Speaker 1: Hmmm. I don't like that any guesses.
Speaker 3: I mean, it almost sounded like welcome home or something, but not the beginning, but like come home at the end.
Speaker 1: Well, here's some options. Is it a I'm on zoom, is it B in the mood, C in the room, or D I'm a ghost boo. Okay, it's one of those.
Speaker 3: In the room.
Speaker 1: In the room. Karen kilgarv two for two.
Speaker 3: I like this game.
Speaker 1: I know it's fun.
Speaker 3: It's fun and kind of scary.
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 3: The first one scared me a little bit. There's something about the sound of it. I didn't like it's the whisper.
Speaker 1: But again, it's like, could these ghosts just be innocently like I'm in the room, just so you know, I don't want to bother I just want to warn you. Don't want to bother anyone. I'm in the room.
Speaker 3: Don't mind me.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, And the first one was saying, what was it, come again, come.
Speaker 3: Again, come again.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: We love to having you here any times.
Speaker 1: It's nice to have someone here. Okay, we're gonna do one last thing. Okay, it's just kind of a rapid fire. Just wanted to see if anything comes up, maybe an anecdote of some sort, maybe a theory you have, I don't know, something of just different paranormal phenomenon. Okay, we'll go through some real quick psychics. What do you got to say about psychics, any thoughts.
Speaker 3: I very much believe in psychics. Yeah, yeah, I think there's plenty of people who can hear or see or feel things that other people can't. For sure, we know that.
Speaker 1: Do you go to them or have you?
Speaker 3: I have in the past, like when I've gone to let's have place a psychic guy that amazing, like bookstore so good, and sometimes they would have like you could get either to row reading or some sort of psychic reading. They'd always tell me stuff. I would just be like, I don't know what you're talking about. But I think that had to do with myself where if people were like, you have brown hair and blue eyes, I'd be like, I don't know what you're talking about. It was like kind of that time of life where everything was more like I don't want to know about myself. But I've never had like a personal reading from like it because there's so many in LA where people are like this person's really actually good, right, There's so many, but I've never had one.
Speaker 1: Okay, Psychay is an interesting store because it's I definitely think people should check it out. It's a cool place to spend an hour. They also have psychics on staff. It's like, uh, take your pick, like there's twenty of them here. Yeah, it's kind of cool.
Speaker 3: Have you ever had this psychic reading? There?
Speaker 1: A psychic reading? Oh my god, I've had so many. I've also had phone call ones from them, which you can also do. Ooh yeah, it's kind of fun. You can go in and like look through the roster. Kind of reminds me this one time I watched the show on like Cinemax or something where they go to like the Bunny or whatever, Like they line up and they're like that one. It's like that kind of vibe, like pick which one you like, and then there's all these ladies with like frankly look like me with like bangs and long finger now, and then I'm like, I'm want that one. That's my psychic anyway. So what do you believe in curses? Mmm?
Speaker 3: I think a little bit. I definitely believe in Italian curses. I think it depends.
Speaker 1: Yes, I'm doing my cat pounce curse.
Speaker 3: You really you reel back like a cat and then you come forward. I mean, because I think that intention of like I hope the worst on you is very real. Yeah, and I think it's probably a good idea every once in a while to just get that released or have some like an old lady bless you in some way so that that doesn't stick to you. But I guess yes, all the things I just said equal a true yes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know what I got is a punching bag. I bought a punching bag, oh, for a workout. But also I'm like, if I got bad energy, I'm gonna put it in the punching bag. I'm not gonna put it on people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's nice, that's ah. But there's also just like I think revenge is such a it's such a drug, such a lure. Right, So then you're like, somebody fucked me over, So now I'm gonna I can figure out a way to like permanently ruin their life or something. How could you not want to do that? If someone does something bad to you.
Speaker 1: You can use it as motivation, for sure. I feel like that's so many of us here in show business where it's like I'll show you guys, you'll rue the day. Yes, Okay, a couple more past lives. You believe in that.
Speaker 3: Not that much? You know, what I believe in is Edgar Casey and those things where he would access the Acashic records and all that.
Speaker 1: Uh huh.
Speaker 3: I'm fascinated by that because there was so much of it that turned out to be real and true, provably true that he was kind of accessing. So yeah, I don't know whether he actually specifically talked about past lives, but that's what that reminded me of. And I think that the idea of that we've been here before, I think is interesting and as a thing to think about, but actually, like it's me Cleopatra, I don't really believe in that.
Speaker 1: That's a lot of times you go to these ladies, you pay them some money, and they say you were a pharaoh. It's always like you were a pharaoh, you were a war hero. It's never you were some lady named Sarah that just sort of.
Speaker 3: Sheem's nice working at the butcher shop.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you worked at a butcher shop.
Speaker 3: Decent human being. Well. Also, it makes me think of like I did have grandparents who like both emigrated to America alone or you know, like with just their siblings in their teens, so it's kind of like they're very heroic to me. You don't have to go that far back or be like it doesn't have to be me personally, because it's like that is part of me, is like right, hey, those badasses got me where I am today. I think sometimes if people need to feel a little pride where they can't find it or something, or you know, that's a good thing to tap into. What if you were a lady or some sort of lowered or something. But it's like, well that's fine, but you can do an ancestry dot com or whatever and figure out the same thing from reality.
Speaker 1: Totally. Okay. Last one, we giboards keep believe in them.
Speaker 3: I think they're real and I don't like them at all.
Speaker 1: Really, did you ever do one? Yes?
Speaker 3: I've done them a lot, and I just always heard bad stories and like people who I went to school with were like we did a thing and there was actually something in the room with that, like freaked out preteen girls, because that gets real popular, like in seventh and eighth grade when you're still doing slummer parties. You're not like out at a party yet, uh huh. All that girl energy and like trying to get messages or whatever. I don't know. I think there's a lot to that, and it's just why are we letting the young girl children play.
Speaker 1: With those things totally.
Speaker 3: Why wouldn't you keep it in the hands of the adults. I don't know.
Speaker 1: I think that that kind of stuff, Like you could do the same thing a million different ways, Like I think you could light a candle and be like, who's here with us? Like, I don't know, there's you could do a lot of things. However, the Wiji board is like, here's a toy. Who wants it?
Speaker 3: Yes, Like there's something very innocently presented, like you're saying about it. But then it's like, but you could also maybe call up the devil. Yeah, we don't know. We're Parker Brothers. We don't know.
Speaker 1: We don't know. We don't do that far fun. We just make the board. Karen, what an honor to have you back.
Speaker 3: Thank you for doing this, Rose. I love you, Karen.
Speaker 1: I love you, Karen. People listen to my favorite murder. Do you need a ride? You're not on Instagram, you don't post on TikTok.
Speaker 3: Right, I watch everybody else's stuff on TikTok and love it and enjoy it, but I don't. Yeah, same, It's one way street.
Speaker 1: Goodbye, goodbye, There's something behind you. Thank you so much to Karen. Of course, you know where to find her on My Favorite Murder and Do You Need a Ride, which are two podcasts that I have been on. I have been very honored to be a rare guest on My Favorite Murder and I know a lot of Murder renos listen to this show, and I've met a lot of you, and thank you and thank you for supporting all of us here at Exactly Right. Guys, I will talk to you next week. I love you all, both living and dead. But if I didn't ask you to haunt me, don't haunt me.
Speaker 3: Gay bye.
Speaker 1: This has been an ex exactly right production. Want to share your paranormal experience on the podcast? I read stories out loud and sometimes I'll even call you. So email me at ghosted by Roz at gmail dot com. You can send a DM or voice message to the show's instagram at ghosted by Roz. Give us a follow while you're there, and follow me Roz on Instagram at Roz Hernandez and on TikTok and Twitter at It's Roz Hernandez. My senior producer is the startling Jiha Lee. Associate producer is the alarming Christina Chamberlain. This episode was mixed and sound designed by the Eerie Edson Choi. My guest booker is the petrifying Patrick Kuttner. Additional production support from the hair raising Hannah Kyle Crichton. My theme music is by the spine Chilling Brendan Lynch Salomon. Artwork by the Spooky Vanessa Lilac. Photography by the terrifying Elizabeth Karen. Executive produced by the Chilling Karen Kilgareth, the Spookky Georgia Hard Start, and the Frightening Danielle Kramer.