Speaker 1: Warring.
Speaker 2: Today's episode contains spoilers for the Alien franchise and some other movies that we're going to discuss, including the works of Alien Romulus director Feidi Alvarez and others.
Speaker 3: So be warned.
Speaker 1: But that's not that big a deal. It's really not that big a deal this time.
Speaker 4: Hello.
Speaker 1: My name is Jason Contepcion and I'm Joel Money.
Speaker 2: Whoa, and welcome back an sorry vision the podcast When We Dive Deep. It's your favorite shows, movies, comics and pop culture coming to you from IRT Podcasts. We're bringing you two episodes a week, every Tuesday and Thursday.
Speaker 5: In today's episode, we're concluding Xenomorph week by taking a deep dive into Alien Romulus. First up, looking at the trailers and featurettes of Alien Romulus to kind of dig underneath the film and see what we can expect. Then we're doing a two part air lock. In part one, we're looking at director Fadie Alvarez's past films and possible influences for the new film Alien Romulus. And then in part two, we're gonna discuss the films that shaped the Alien franchise. And then finally, and what if, we're gonna predict some box office. But before we talk about Alien, we're gonna go to previously on with Rosie, What's in the News, Rosie and Jason, and now.
Speaker 2: Previously on and News. First up, Paramount is closing its television arm. This is a devastating hit to Paramount and to the Los Angeles economy. Paramount sent out a memo this week announcing that they want to cut five hundred million dollars in costs by the end of the year.
Speaker 1: What does this mean. This means they're.
Speaker 2: Gonna start spinning off the all of Paramounts television wearers are going to be for sale, and a lot of people are going to be out of work.
Speaker 1: That's what speeds.
Speaker 4: Yeah, just absolutely wild, Like it's bad times. And this is also one of those weird things that's coming out of the monopolizing culture where like you're losing Hollywood history.
Speaker 3: They would rather just save some money than try and you.
Speaker 4: Know, work out a way to actually keep stuff on.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I mean, let's be real.
Speaker 4: This is the company that made The Office, So I'm saying like they had the juice at one point, but yeah, we've now they've mostly been making stuff for other studios or other streaming So are we surprised, Probably not, but it is a it's I feel bad for all the people who are going to lose their jobs.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Up next, D twenty three was this weekend.
Speaker 3: Rosie and Baygi said, we're saving the news for no nes SDCC.
Speaker 2: Heavin Weggy said, we gave you Robert Downey Junior at Comic Con and we're saving all the best bits for us. And we got new trailers from Agatha all along iron Heart.
Speaker 1: Skeleton Crew ever Born Again? Uh, and a lot of stuff you can see in leaks. I don't I don't propose that you break the.
Speaker 3: Law, but I'm just saying should go and find those leaks. But they do.
Speaker 1: Exact Internet as a wild place.
Speaker 2: So imagining that we did see the leaks, the hypothetically, if we had seen the leaks, what would we think of some of these trails?
Speaker 4: Okay, so the only the only two we would have to watch via the leaks in this hypergagical situation would be Born Again and Ironheart. So what were your thoughts, hypothetically.
Speaker 2: Hypothetically extremely stoked for Born Again? I would be hypothetically so thrilled if say the Punisher was in it, I would be so incredibly thrilled If, as one would expect, Kingpin was in it, I would be so incredibly thrilled if, say, there was a clip of Daredevil and the Punisher forming an uneasy alliance to apparently take down crime in the.
Speaker 1: City, including the Kingpin.
Speaker 2: I think that, hypothetically, if I had watched the leak, I would be pretty excited about a project that I was initially excited about, then became less excited about, and now I'm excited about again.
Speaker 1: Your thoughts, Yeah, Hypothetically, isn't that.
Speaker 4: Isn't that the Johnny of MC you found in twenty twenty four? Something looks good, Yeah, something went wrong, Something looks good again. Look Kingpin dad eveling conversation. That's all I want to see. So hypothetically, I would have been very happy. I also do think it's very interesting. We had that they're going to have White Tiger is going to be in this show, which was a character that we thought was going to be in Black.
Speaker 3: Panther two, but they weren't.
Speaker 4: So very interesting. Hypothetically, what did you think of the Iron Heart?
Speaker 1: Pretty excited about it.
Speaker 2: Also, I think new costume costume, which I think is you know, part of the course for for any Stark adjacent, any any character from the Stark Coaching Tree, you got to change that costume every single time out. So I was expecting to see that. But it looks cool and I am excited to see it.
Speaker 4: In our discord big fans of the new c Yeah, I love the New ste If. They felt okay, so Gallat and crew we were able to just watch it legally. That's right, Disney released it, so obviously that was the only one we watched.
Speaker 3: I think this looks delightful. Amblin vibes. Goonies in space.
Speaker 2: Goonies and space is the perfect way to put it right.
Speaker 4: And that to me, like, I just think that looks so good. I love the baby Max Rebo car. He looks so cute, also very interested. This is my one prediction for this show is like they meet jud Law, they kind of say, oh, you must be a Jedi.
Speaker 3: I'm assuming he's not a Jedi.
Speaker 4: That's like my big prediction is he'll be some Force user and he'll help them through this situation, but he's not truly a Jedi.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 4: One big question about this show, Jason, what did you think about the opening kind of new introduction of this world where they're essentially living in like space suburbs.
Speaker 3: Yeah, which is something we've like never seen in some ways.
Speaker 2: I I'm intrigued. I'm frankly intrigued. I think this is a new aesthetic palette clearly for the show, and I think one that I'm always one for expanding the universe, showing us things we've never seen before, and so I'm intrigued.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I want to see.
Speaker 3: How it fits into what we exactly.
Speaker 2: Is there like a middle class that like lives out.
Speaker 4: Gelicly, or is there like is it like some weird like covered with a bubble like little space colony that they made at some point.
Speaker 3: I'm interested.
Speaker 4: And it's John Watts who smashed it with those three Spider Man movies starring Tom Holland, so I think the vibes are good. Also, David Lowry is directing an episode. I love him so much. I love The Green Knight. I just think that movie is like a masterpiece. And the Daniels, the Daniels and Isaac Chung who just did Twisters, So really, this sounds like it should be directly targeted at me, and I can't wait.
Speaker 2: There is a Thunderbolt leak if we wanted to talk about that.
Speaker 4: Okay, hypothetic, sypathetically, we've seen the Thunderbolts leak. What did you think of the new more comics accurate ghost costion?
Speaker 2: Like, yes, I liked seeing our our good friend Bucky Barnes was fun moments from him.
Speaker 1: It's very Russian.
Speaker 2: It looks like a Yelena movie, looks.
Speaker 1: Film and the.
Speaker 5: Sham so good.
Speaker 3: Why wouldn't you do that?
Speaker 2: And again I'm intrigued. If this is gonna be kind of like the Gray Slash Bad Avengers, then I think that's something actually the MCU needs.
Speaker 4: Okay, let's do let's do a theory on this. So they're presenting this movie even if you haven't seen a leak, you will.
Speaker 1: Like us agent us.
Speaker 3: I'm like us agent.
Speaker 4: But this this movie is called Thunderbolts with an asterisk at the end.
Speaker 3: What do you think that means?
Speaker 4: I think they might just change this to being called the Dark Avengers at this point, like that is my my thesis or some kind of maybe like Thunderbolts colon something. But I'm very interested because they the asterisk is hard to ignore.
Speaker 1: It's hard to ignore, and I have no idea what it could mean.
Speaker 2: I like your idea that it could be the Dark Avengers, although I will say, do you think this is gonna be so Dark Avengers?
Speaker 5: Was?
Speaker 1: The Dark Avengers were full.
Speaker 2: On villains, villains costplaying as heroes doing villain as ship. This seems more like anti heroes costplaying.
Speaker 1: As do the bad guys.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and oh that's true.
Speaker 4: I like the idea where it's basically in the yeah version of the original kind of fund Yeah, okay, so this is interesting. Super producer Aaron has just put in Apparently on some of the graphics it looks like the Thunderbolts asterisk is made of like bullets, So it might just be like a visual, little cheeky nod rather than anything big. But I'm still, you know, I mean, I'm always thinking with my tin hat on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so here's my here's I think it's gonna be an outlaw movie. I think this is gonna be. This is a team that is put together with the idea that the government needs a more controllable set of superheroes that will just.
Speaker 3: Do suicide squad for them, avel that.
Speaker 2: This movie will be about the thunderbolts, going, wait, we don't want to do that, like starting out that way and then eventually doing whatever it is the right.
Speaker 1: The right quote unquote right thing that.
Speaker 2: The rest of the MCU is going to feel like is the wrong thing, But really they did the right thing.
Speaker 1: I think it's gonna be a movie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 2: Next, let's hit some some quick news rapid fire announcements we got and or season two behind the scenes footage was shown and it seems like people excited about it.
Speaker 1: Mandalorian and Grogu.
Speaker 2: Folks, we've been saying, many critics have been saying, Kathleen Kennedy, where is the where is.
Speaker 1: The Star Wars movie offering? Here? It is Mandalori is in theaters twenty twenty six.
Speaker 4: Absolutely bonkers that it's been like almost ten years since we had at.
Speaker 1: It's truly weird.
Speaker 4: Does the time going and what it feels like it's been a long time time.
Speaker 3: Just stop marching on, please, we're getting old.
Speaker 1: Times young people. Stop doing that. Stop being young.
Speaker 4: Stop doing it, guys, stop being young. It goes very fast when you get old like us. Okay, Percy Jackson and the Olympiads bind the seas footage. If you haven't watched the first season of Percy Jackson's on Disney Plus, definitely go and watch it. I think it is actually one of the most underrated shows on Disney Plus. Really adapts the books in a beautiful way. So I think if anyone's missing a little bit of fantasy Ya in their life, go check that out.
Speaker 3: Mafassa the way It's happening.
Speaker 4: Whoa December twentieth is coming out this year, guys.
Speaker 2: Uh snow More not snow A hitting hitting theaters March twenty twenty five. Toy Story five here.
Speaker 4: Apparently it's like Evil buzz It's like many evil buzzes.
Speaker 1: Multi multiverses. So twenty twenty one two.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, wait a minute. Frozen three and four.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm excited. I'm in.
Speaker 3: They want money, I get it. The songs are banging.
Speaker 4: Best x Men.
Speaker 2: It's not an X Men movieh my god, that's so true.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Incredibles three, the Best Fantastic four.
Speaker 4: For Maana on Thanksgiving. I feel like that's really close, but sure, okay. Avatar, Look, I just got to say something here. Avatar, Fire and Ash December nineteenth, twenty eighty five. Good for all you Avatar lovers, but can I just say this man personally made sure that Avatar the Last Airbender could not just be called Avatar, and they had to add the Last Airbender and then persisted.
Speaker 3: To go on and make a movie about all the different elements.
Speaker 4: I just think, James Cameron, I'm annoyed at you for Avatar, Fire and Ash. Let's see what happens in that one December nineteen, twenty twenty five. It's gonna make a little mind.
Speaker 1: It's gonna make so much money.
Speaker 6: We'll be right back after a quick break.
Speaker 1: And we're back.
Speaker 2: Freaky Friday sequel, Lindsay Lohan back in the with Jmie Jamie Lee Curtis in her iconic dual role.
Speaker 3: Are you kidding? Incredible? Ten out of ten.
Speaker 2: I'm actually super excited about Freaky Friday, which is a wonderful Both Freaky Friday and the original Freaky f like just great movies.
Speaker 1: Pixar returning with a.
Speaker 2: Bunch of originals that we can finally because it's been too many sequels. Z Utopia two with Khie Kwon joining the cast as Gary Troy.
Speaker 1: I love, yeah, I'll do.
Speaker 2: I'll simply watch anything that he's involved of folks. Tron is Back tron Aries, starring Evan Peters Jared Leto in the role he was born to play.
Speaker 3: Jared Laugh. Let's cut him out, Evan Peters and Greley. That sounds good to me. I love also.
Speaker 4: Following the rule of tron movies having to have like soundtracks that will outlive them forever, like the soundtrack from.
Speaker 3: Doctor They're Gang. Oh. Some of the best curators.
Speaker 4: Of fantastic electronic music at this moment, treent Rezna and nine Inch Nails to score the upcoming franchise film Deranged.
Speaker 3: I love it. That's perfect.
Speaker 1: Stitch live action Stitch, he's in live action. That's right.
Speaker 2: You were a fan of Lelo and Stitch, Well, what if it was just Stitch in live action?
Speaker 1: Beloved Agent six twenty six were commonly known.
Speaker 2: As Stitch loves to Eat Little Beautiful Alien. This creature's dramatic entrance will will burst onto screens in the summer of twenty twenty five.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: The funny thing is about these, like the live action remakes, is they kind of always make money. But I don't feel like there's been one yet where everyone's gone, Oh, this one needed to exist, so I'm interested to see the reaction to CG.
Speaker 3: Stitch. People were loving it, so let's see if the Lilo and Stitch remake is that one way. You're kind of like, oh, I'm.
Speaker 4: Really glad this exists, because the rest of them, especially snow White with the magical creature dwarves in comments, I think that that's not gonna happen.
Speaker 3: Don't need to see that.
Speaker 4: But Frozen the Musical is coming to Disney Plus in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 3: And guess what, I've seen it in the theater. It's great.
Speaker 1: What about more musicals?
Speaker 2: How about Hercules the musical premiere on London's West End next year.
Speaker 3: I love Hercules. I love the songs that sounds.
Speaker 1: And then in the what took You So Long?
Speaker 3: News wild that it took this long?
Speaker 2: It's the greatest show, The Greatest Showman will be adapted into musical form, will Wow you know, will Wolvere be allowed to take part somehow?
Speaker 1: Who knows?
Speaker 3: It feels like he will at least be there. Like for the mister Jackman clan, he loves, he loves to do music.
Speaker 1: He loves to do music.
Speaker 4: O the good news for mister Jackman, Deadpool and Wolverine passes one billion dollars in box office fills.
Speaker 3: Wait, God damn, I.
Speaker 4: Did not know if it was gonna happen, but it happened. Second movie of twenty twenty four to break the one billion dollar water mark, the first being Inside Out two.
Speaker 3: Second MCU movie to break.
Speaker 4: One billion dollars since kind of crazy and they needed it. They're gonna be eating out on this billion dollar success for a long time. Get ready to see a lot of cameos. If you've ever wanted to see a cameo, you will get to see it in the coming years. How do you feel about Deadporort and Wolverine after we saw it like that?
Speaker 1: I feel the same. A super fun movie. I personally loved the all jokes, all the time format and I liked it. I liked it. I continue to like it.
Speaker 3: It was very funny to be on holiday.
Speaker 4: Like I just was on holiday with my nephew who's like ten, and he just kept telling me things that happened in the movie, and I was like, I know, and I was like, do you want to go see it then? But he doesn't want to because he's too scared because he knows it will be really violent. But because he was in America, I was like, we could go see it, you know, but he kept telling me funny things. Is it true?
Speaker 3: Spoiler A lot nice? Pool dies? Why did they kill him? My head?
Speaker 4: He's just so nice, like all these kind of hilarious Oh he loves Bye Bye Bye by n Sync now, because I guess everyone talks about how it's on Spotify Bye Bye.
Speaker 3: Bye from the Deadpool Wolverine movie.
Speaker 1: How insane?
Speaker 5: Is that?
Speaker 4: Just unbelievable? But yeah, the kids are loving it. The ten year olds love Bye Bye Bye.
Speaker 3: Apparently.
Speaker 2: Up next, a movie that we were in sh Bye but that is apparently very bad, has bombed at the box office. Borderlands has made a world wide box office figure of sixteen point five million dollars. Oh my god, it is one of I haven't checked it lately, but I do believe it is one of the worst reviewed movies in the history of the Rotten Tomatoes platform.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it debuted to zero percent and then that went up to four. So let's see where it sits now. Now it is sitting at an impressive nine percent with a fifty two percent audience score, So the audience aren't even loving it. I have to say, Jason, something I didn't know about this movie is that it's PG thirteen, which seems absolutely deranged if you've ever played a Borderlands. Yes, so I'm very interested in what happened with that.
Speaker 3: And Yeah, apparently the funniest thing is though the CEO of Gearbox, Randy Pitchford, he.
Speaker 4: Was like, so, what you're saying is you love the Boordland games and you just want another game.
Speaker 3: Well, guess what.
Speaker 4: Fourth Boardland game is coming. So I like how he turned it around.
Speaker 1: Listen, I love a fast paced, a looter shooter.
Speaker 2: One little wrinkle in this the Borderlands ongoing story. Was Eli Roth the right twice for this? I think clearly no at this point. Also, I wanted to point out this is my favorite little wrinkle in this. Craig Mason screenwriter Shordnaire, Chernobyl, et cetera. It was reported like maybe a year ago that he was like the screenwriter of Borderlands, and then various reports said that either Craig fought to have his name removed yeah, or Craig has since come out and said that he'd no, that was a false report. I never had anything to do with Borderlands. Craig Mazon wants you to know very strongly.
Speaker 1: That he didn't.
Speaker 2: He was not He was not involved in that piece of ship movie at all.
Speaker 1: So that's pretty pretty nuts stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, pretty hilarious.
Speaker 2: Next up, Craven the trailer, folks, Rosie your thoughts?
Speaker 3: Look, look okay? Does it look good? No? Will I be in line to see it?
Speaker 1: Correct?
Speaker 3: Look? The truth is.
Speaker 4: One thing I really like about this trailer is like the action looks interestingly choreographed, like he is really killing people with bear traps. And yeah, I also like, I love Aaron Taylor Johnson, like very deeply and very I believe.
Speaker 3: It's camp Yeah, question Mark'd be great, He's he's campy.
Speaker 4: Also, I find it so funny that they cast Ariana de Bo's and they made her like she's like a suave, slinky Calipso I'm like, guys, have you ever read a comic?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 4: Probably not, but you know what, I will be watching this movie. I love the moment where he like chopped off a guy's head with a bear trap. I also think it's so funny that they really are doing what I believe was like a meme for such a long time, which was like he's gonna be like a Craven who hunts hunters instead of hunting animals, and that is absolutely what he is doing.
Speaker 3: Is happening in this trailer. Yeah, it looks great.
Speaker 4: Looks like they kind of moved away from the supernatural of it, which I feel like was a big point and a big kind of.
Speaker 3: Of the first trailer that people were dragging on.
Speaker 2: I also love that we're in Russell Crowe's like paycheck era.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, like the end.
Speaker 2: You know, he's done multiple exorcism movies at this point.
Speaker 1: He's just out here multiple He's just out here playing.
Speaker 3: He's like, give me that check. I know what does this mean for the deep intricate lore of.
Speaker 4: The MCU or Love and Thunder That Zeus is also the dad of Craven, whose brother is the chameleon, and we see get a glimpse of him in his non chameleon form.
Speaker 3: Also, you know what I always find really funny why the movie people love Rhyany, Like, I'm not chriticized. He's a cool costume, a cool character.
Speaker 4: But like, is that just because that's the only people that the only villain they can like get? But I always think we got Paul Giamati, Rhino like, what was that?
Speaker 3: Now this rhino? Like, what is it about rhino? But I will say rhino effects.
Speaker 1: They looked pretty good. Looks pretty good.
Speaker 2: Up next new Rings of Power trailer and folks Caler Brimble is going through it having a bad time.
Speaker 3: Babe, he is going through it. It's gonna be bad for him.
Speaker 4: If you've read the book spoiler Alla, it's gonna get worse for him.
Speaker 3: Looks beautiful, looks so expensive.
Speaker 1: It looks like the whole time.
Speaker 4: You're watching it, you're like, I can feel every dollar of the billion dollars that they put on this screen.
Speaker 2: I went back and I threw on just any random scene from My Return of the King, like Ultimate Edition, Blu Ray.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the show looks as good.
Speaker 2: As that, Like it's uh, it's pretty nuts. The quality bring to the screen. Yeah, it looks like a million zillion bucks.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it really does. It looks fantastic. I just lots of creatures. We talked about that in the last trailer. We get to see more bar Rock here.
Speaker 3: Lots of horse battles.
Speaker 4: When we were watching this earlier, Joelle's mouth was open the whole time.
Speaker 3: It was a gate.
Speaker 4: She was like, I can't believe what is going on. I can't believe what I'm seeing.
Speaker 3: A darn Nord's here. Of course, gonna get to know more about his relationship with Sour.
Speaker 4: We get Sour on with his aim and style wig that you know, they're just like straightening uh, you know, they're just straightening it up.
Speaker 3: So yeah, we will see it. Looks looks very good.
Speaker 1: Looks very very good. And that is it for news.
Speaker 5: And now that we're done with the news, we're heading to the air lock to talk Geno morphs in all and Robbie check it out.
Speaker 1: Let's jump in.
Speaker 2: Let's start with the uh the teaser trailer, the first most recent teaser trailer and then the final version of the trailer, both released you know in recent weeks. Let's say, yes, should we just watch them in real time?
Speaker 5: We can't. I'm about it, Yeah, t shir.
Speaker 1: One thing I love right away, texture in the air.
Speaker 2: One thing I missed about from Alien three and then it's Alien Resurrection is like I need steam and dust in the air.
Speaker 5: It's vital you immediately. I think in a recent episode when we were talking about Star Wars, there's that scene where they're in the jungle and there's just it's no mist there. It's all dry, and you're like, I don't feel involved in the space. This gives such like just the deep space dark shadows kind of uh oh gosh, what's the video game I'm speaking thinking of dead Space. Yes, the first time I saw the trailer, I was like, this is very dead space, and I'm absolutely here for it.
Speaker 2: I completely agree. Yea dead Space is very alien. He's super classic. You can definitely feel the horror vibes that they're going for. And then the final trailer, which gives us more of the kind of background story and context. As FEEDI has talked about, Ridley has also talked about interviews. This is a story about young colonists in a dead end space colony where your only job is like the worst version of jobs. You're either working in like a food processing plant or you're a scavenger slash minor. And in the course of doing that really shitty blue collar job, these young folks stumble upon an abandoned question Mark space installation and it apparently is full of face huggers.
Speaker 5: Listen, here's what's really interesting, And there's an interview where he was They did a twenty minute preview for press and Fienie was saying that he wanted this film to be like, I Alien two aliens, when they come to the planet, You're like, all these children were the last ones left behind. He's like, that's the film I wanted to see, is what happens when it's only the children there? And if for a franchise that's been very much about mothers making not just space for themselves, but protecting their children, it's really interesting to look at a motherless colony of children and exploring how they're gonna survive. It's a nice turn on the horror we've been experiencing to how to protect children, to just how do you protect yourselves? And also potentially for young women, like we have Rain as the main character of the film, and it seems like she might be sort of thrust into this motherly position ahead of her time, and I'm interested in that as an angle of horror.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll get into this more when we talk about the thematic structure of the Alien franchise and Alien movies, but a lot of it, you know, a lot of the feel of Alien of course. Notably, Ridley Scott changed the main character Ripley from a man to a woman, just kind of like on a lark.
Speaker 1: We'll talk about that.
Speaker 2: It wasn't a lot of deep thinking in his from his perspective, but it added this really rich texture of all of these conversations about a woman as coworker, woman as a leader, woman as a mother slash protector slash person who can decide what to do with their body. All of those conversations happen, and it's really fascinating. I hope we get those conversations in this film. A couple of fun easter eggs. About thirty seconds in, we see that the computer that apparently runs this installation is the Mu slash th slash you are nine thousand Mother nine thousand That was Mother is the name of the computer that ran the Nostromo in the original Alien film. And very clearly we're gonna see this is very very horror coded, maybe more explicitly horror coded than any recent Alien film, Like obviously the prequels are a different thing, more of a sci fi adventure kind of thing, and doubling down on the original like horror roots of Alien.
Speaker 5: What's really thrilling is if the first okay, so the first Alien is a hunted House horror movie and Alienyens is more like a flashback war horror story of like living in your own nightmare of war. I'm curious, like, is this uh, you know, I think a lot of adolescent horror films or horror films about like young people are like the horror of your your changing body and the horror of like, I don't know, the the just the trauma of like growing and evolving. I think the idea of this being like a dead end sort of space gives like the horror of being stuck or like, I think we're gonna see almost a regression. Allah, I'm having trouble what memes today the book where all the kids are stuck on the island.
Speaker 1: Oh, and it's the Lord of the Flies.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 1: I think we're going to get a Lord that Flies a moment.
Speaker 5: Listen, it's early and I'm kind of looking forward to that. I think, you know, we've always seen corporate guys versus the miners and really like a class or thing. But if you're all in the same class, then I'm I imagine what we're gonna see is just a denigration of like human to animal sort of thing. And that's always kind of exciting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's interesting. I think that there are clear parallels here with what we know about Romulus. This is one thing we're going to get into. We know a lot because they've been releasing a lot, maybe too much.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: That's suggest to me that the studio thinks they have a good movie on their hands, which is extremely positive. But okay, So I think it's interesting to look at Fete's breakthrough question Mark film Don't Breathe, Don't Breathe one and then Don't Breathe two, which were how I really first became aware of him, and it feels like a very similar setup, right, A group of disaffected young people with really like nothing to do in this edge of nowhere like crumbling suburb break into a mysterious house where they are eventually preyed upon by this like ex military creature, human discarded person. And it intersects really well with a lot of the themes of Alien as a franchise, which are I mean, you kind of put your finger on it, like a lot of it is about like corporate power versus worker power, and it's really about like who's expendable. Like in the first Alien, it's blue collar workers. They're expendable whatever, Like, let's just get one of them pregnant and bring them back and we can make money off of the same thing. With Alien two, it's colonists, it's grunts. You know, there's explicitly this conversation about grunts and how their whole job is just to go in and die. Yeah, And then Alien three, who's expendable prisoners, We don't care about them. Just put them out in the universe somewhere and let them run their own affairs, and we don't worry too much about it. Let's not worry about alien resurrection, but like those are, let's not have that conversation around resurrection. But when Alien is interesting, it's an exploration about who we decide from a societal perspective, we can be comfortable with dying, and I think that's going to be a part of Alien romulus. It's essentially not just like the fact that these are kids in a nowhere town working dead on jobs. It's the power structure in a class sense. Why are we okay with these kids dying? Who are we okay with just passing away? Who worked in this ship that no one cares about and no one even.
Speaker 5: Thinks gosh, I'm having such a brainstorm moment because I'm like, oh, is this a reoccurring theme in Feet the Because if you think about Evil Dead, like that's a film about a group of friends that came together to try to help their friend who is an addict get clean. Almost all of them have medical experience. She does not. Nobody trusts her opinion on what's happening to her point, and so she's constantly being told like, no, you need to stay here. She's like, I have to get out. Actually, it's not safe here. This is not the way for me to do this, and they're like, we're taking away all of your agency. And then if we think about Okay, I know you don't like Girls Spiders.
Speaker 2: Web, but even that it's a film, I don't think it was the best of the speak Larsen, uh, cinematic universe.
Speaker 5: That's totally fair. I was talking to s First the other day, like, how does that fit into the larger thing? Like is that the Sweetish or the Americans? Like it's definitely the Americans, but is it I don't because it's a different actress and it's a weird film. It's just out there were like we have the ip we must make it anyway. I digress. Even that film has moments of uh, here's somebody who's like, I can save everyone except this one person, and I couldn't save them because I have this hang up from being abandoned. You weren't worth saving because you hurt me, even though everybody else, no matter what they did, what was we're saving. So that's a really interesting point, And especially if we think about who's expendable. Almost always, universally, people like it's not the children who are expendable, or at least that's what we say, but it'll be interesting to see, like, you know, a lot of times we do say children are expendable, or we don't give them a space. So I hope we'll be exploring all of that here.
Speaker 2: You know, there's there's something too about the original Alien films where they became. They weren't intended to become, I don't think, but because of when they came out and the structure of those films, they became, you know, this kind of like pro choice parable.
Speaker 1: A woman who refuses to.
Speaker 2: Be impregnated with an alien and fights constantly over the course of multiple films to not have that happen. And I think in this film, you know what else, if you look at what other potential dialogues might happen because of the wider culture context, certainly a choice narrative is there. But I also think with you Know's, there's a story at the front of the New York Times today about how we're entering a point, we're approaching a point where like various ecological tipping points might happen and the planet will never be the same. And I think for you know people, maybe fifty and over, that's obviously anxiety inducing, but you're also like, fuck it, I'm not going to be here for the worst part of it. And I think maybe part of like the cultural conversation that might happen around this movie that we might find yourself responding to is we say we care about the kids, but like we're not doing anything to allow them to have a world.
Speaker 1: We also let them.
Speaker 2: Die in mass shooting events and don't do anything about it. And I think that there is a larger conversation maybe that might come out of this movie, just internally in your own mind, about like, do really care about the kids? We really care about the world that young people will have I.
Speaker 5: Have chills now, and I'm really excited to be thinking about this movie on a much deeper levels because before I.
Speaker 1: Was like, or are we It's back, Like, let's go maybe.
Speaker 2: Up next, we're going to explore the oove of Alien Romul's director Pete Alvarez, and.
Speaker 1: We're back. Let's discuss Feodie Outre.
Speaker 5: So I really want to talk about Fee as a director. Alien is so shaped by whoever's in the director, see, like, you get a lot of control and power over the direction.
Speaker 1: And angle and style.
Speaker 5: I think a lot more than a lot of other franchises allow Like usually you're like you need to adhere to the brand, and Alien it's sort of like we want these interesting directors to come in and do a lot of interesting things. So Feeni was originally discovered by Sam Raimi who saw his short whose title, of course I can't recall it right now, but saw short was like, Yeah, this kid's got it. Brought him in to do Evil Dead. Evil Dead really shows that FEEDI has a lot of respect for a franchise, understands deeply how to adhere to the overall style guide while also putting his original fingerprint on it and making it feel unique and exciting and fun, and so I think all of that gives us a lot of hope for what he can do. So here we listen to a conversation between him and Release Scott, and I was wondering if we could play that clip. Guys. Yeah, So I think he's saying a lot of the same things were're saying, which is just he's got this fresh take. He's looking for young folks. And I think for I mean, Redley's had some issues with some adaptations of his in the past. I mean, there are how many cuts of Blade Runner. He's very specific, and so for him to have hope and Febie, I think, you know, it makes me feel less nervous about going to the show.
Speaker 1: Same.
Speaker 2: Let's let's dive into his filmography, starting with twenty thirteen's reimagining their quotes of the Evil Dead franchise. Evil Dead the twenty thirteen version starring Jane Levy, Sheila Fernandez, lou Taylor Pucci, Jessica Lucas, Elizabeth Blackmore, and it's essentially the setup if you're aware of the first Evil Dead movies. Remote cabin, evil spirits, people trapped there, fast paced, terrible.
Speaker 1: Horrific images of gore.
Speaker 2: And blood, so much blood, and a demon that must be uh, you know, expunged from this plane of reality. I would say it's a what It's a wonderful high adrenaline like close to the ground horror movie.
Speaker 1: Uh. It lacks maybe the.
Speaker 2: Tinge of Tom and Jerry comedy of the originals mostly evil did too, but.
Speaker 1: A terrific, a terrific modern horror film.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Poene said, uh, twenty seven percent less humor sixteen.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 5: The bodywear goes up to such an extent we were just like, oh, like I was. It was like every three minutes, TI, okay, pause, it's fine, you're here. This is all makeup, don't worry about it. Limbs are being slowly stretched and torn off bodies. There are disgusting bites from zombie children. Who was the one that really Oh the nail gun. Anytime a nail gun shows up in a movie, I'm like, why are we doing this? Do we have to? It's so much but it's delightfully scary. It's the kind of scary where you're peeking through your fingers, uses a light and shadow really well, and when he is having fun, like he's having a lot of fun. And so while I do think there's I think we mentioned before, but there's two sexual assaults within the film that I felt were sort of grotesque and unnecessary in a way that really wasn't helping plotter, adding to the horror theaters are just sort of excessive. I think he's evolved and grown a lot as a director since this film, both in his style and in taste of what he's showing, you know, slowly, surely growing, And so yeah, I think this is a really good resume for like this guy can do Alien And then of course we go on to his follow up films, which you were explaining earlier, genuinely horror.
Speaker 2: Twenty Fourteens Don't Breathe also starring Jane Livy. You know, this was this was kind of like along with it follows like a high point.
Speaker 1: Of Detroit horror. Detroit, yes, area of horror movies.
Speaker 5: And no only Lovers left alive, So it was like, yeah, Detroit horror.
Speaker 1: Barbarian.
Speaker 2: There's another one of the recent a class that three kids break into a house where they feel like there might be stuff worth stealing, but the guy there is a blind and absolutely jacked Gulf War veteran who also turns out to be a quite sinister person who has been trapping and impregnating attempting to impregnate his female prisoners. It has a lot of the hallmarks that I think were established in Evil Dead, which is claustrophobia, intense fear, the fear of being hunted.
Speaker 1: Like survival, hide and go seek, you know, yeah, and is a truly.
Speaker 2: Creepy and weird film, really weird film that is good.
Speaker 1: Is also one of those.
Speaker 2: Where, much like Evil Dead, I mean, the plot turns on a reveal of like jars of frozen sperm, is that necessarily in good taste?
Speaker 6: Like?
Speaker 2: How do you personally feel about that? I was like, do I need? That? Feels like too much for me. But like another seemingly hallmark of Fete's work, particularly early work.
Speaker 1: Is like did we just go over the line? I'm not sure.
Speaker 5: He likes to tap dance on it, he like, because on the one hand, you're like, this feels very far, but on the other hand, you're like, oh, it's really cementing to me the horror here. It's and it's also visually really disgusting, And so for that element of like I'm just visually disgusted and equally horrified, like it kind of works.
Speaker 3: So I don't know.
Speaker 5: I like somebody who's at the very least willing to push the boundary. And he seems like the kind of director who's like not very concerned with what people think about his films, which is kind of an ideal right now, it's just what he's like, I made this film for me. I hope you like it. It's like a really interesting kind of he's very hands on, he said, I can't remember if it's in the Sam Raimi talkback or in the UH after the press screening, but he talks about how they made amatronic face huggers, and he's like, if you see a face hugger and it's submerged in water, I'm holding the camera filming that I'm actually moving and trying to get So he's like very tactile and wants to be very like involved and invested in the overall look. And he said, he's like that's how he starts to see the film. He's not like a film school guy. He's the guy who just constantly was stealing like friends parents cameras and making movies with his friend. He said, he would like edit in camera, which, if you know anything about filming, is tremendously hard because you have to like hear the length of film and then align the shot and then make sure your transitions from one shot to the other what make sense to your audience. Like it's a really delicate process. And so I think, you know, I'm hoping we're seeing more of a return to because we look at franchises like Star Wars has definitely been like, Okay, we're gonna get out of the volume and away from these blue screens. Lord of the Rings with Rings of Power really tripled down on that. They're like, we're going all over the world, and so it's exciting to see franchises be like, we really want to bring back that tactile viewing experience.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's been so much a part of this movie's marketing, both in the behind the scenes, which again it's really notable how much stuff from this movie is out there in the world. Then you could you know, it's twenty minutes or so has already been screened.
Speaker 1: And then there's this.
Speaker 2: Quite long and extensive behind the scenes video that came out recently, and it really delves into the practical, practical effects, and it's clearly something that I think studios in general understand that fans want, particularly in the horror space, Like you want something that looks like it's there in the room with the people who are scared of it, and.
Speaker 1: That's a big part of it.
Speaker 2: It's also like there's this been this cool like VHS version of some run of the film that's been given to influencers, and there again is this clear nod to nostalgia, the old way of doing film, this kind of like gritty, lived in looking world, and the suggestion being like this is not going to be CG where you see too much of the thing, You're gonna feel like that thing is there in the shadows. The face huggers are on the ground scurrying around, and it's going to be scary. I'm excited for that part of it, and it's cool that it seems like they understand that the fans want that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I wanted to ask you on the line of like marketing and we've seen a lot. Do you think we've seen too much? Have we crossed a line?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I think there's too much of this movie out there.
Speaker 2: Again, I think that I take it as a positive. It tells me that they think that they have a good movie that people will want to see, and that they're excited about their movie, because you know, marketing is a limited resource and you can you There are any number of examples the recent Borderlands debacle, for instance, where you just know from the lack of stuff that you've heard about the film that the studio.
Speaker 5: Yes, nah nah, please don't come so fine.
Speaker 2: The fact that they're going this hard for this movie tells me that they like it. Now, there's just too much out there.
Speaker 1: What do you think, I mean, this is too there's like, yeah, so much already out there.
Speaker 2: For weeks, there's been like huge chunks of the movie out there, I mean.
Speaker 5: Weeks, and because I mean at the top of the year, I remember hearing the actors on social media talking about we just shot the scene. It was so crazy. Someone was like finally ill from watching it was practical and you're just never gonna believe it. So for weeks I've sort of been on end of my see being like, oh my god, Alien it's coming and it's gonna be crazy, and so I'm so like I'm and especially because there's so many like new faces in here. That's always a really exciting Like if you're a person who follows marketing and PR for films, like when there's a bunch of new, very talented people coming up, like PR gets all excited. We're introducing you to all these people and it's gonna be great, and look at their relationships and they really like each other and it's so great. So I love seeing all of that. But from a film historian perspective, like if you know anything about the marketing for movie one, you're like, wait, what happened here? Because those like no one can hear you scream in space and then there's a like a maybe an egg. You're not sure what you're looking at.
Speaker 1: It's all dark and.
Speaker 5: Stars, and they're like, come see it or don't alien You're like, hell, yes, it's so exciting, And so I think I understand they're like, we gotta get it out there. You gotta know what's happening. But there's particularly Eileen wu Is one of the performers in the film, and they have this chest burster scene where they light up and you could see almost like an extra Yeah, that should not be in a trailer, and it shy be out there that should be a shock in the theater.
Speaker 1: I oh god, no.
Speaker 5: And then they're like it pounds on their chest and you can hear it cracking. I'm like, that's I don't want to know this yet. This is I'm sure I'll still love it in the theater, but yeah, I practice some restraint. I really wish the directors could be like, okay, but not these things you're in here.
Speaker 2: No, I mean the releasing the behind the scenes before the movie is out. I this is a very recent development. I don't know if Romulus is the first to do it, but it feels like something I have not seen before. And again it feels very notable to me, Like why why is it's out there?
Speaker 1: This shouldn't be out there.
Speaker 2: But I enjoy seeing it, but like it feels like too much.
Speaker 1: You're you're getting into spoiler territory now with your marketing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, hopefully it works and it brings lots of people to seats and because you know, a horror film is always better with a packed theater. So we're seeing it tonight. How are you feeling. What's your anticipation level.
Speaker 1: I'm extremely excited.
Speaker 2: I'm like super excited too, Okay, I'm next, We're gonna delve into the themes of the Alien franchise after this, and we're back. Let's talk about the Alien franchise and the things that make Alien feel like Alien. Of course, like this is a movie franchise that combines elements of horror, sci fi, haunted house and space, etcetera, all these things, but what really what are the elements, the thematic elements that make it feel that way? And I would propose that it's the following first Alien films. The really good Alien films have a exploration of real world power dynamics within them that includes gender. We talked about particularly the first two Alien movies as these explorations of women as coworker, a woman as a leader, and a mother. With this you know, other level of this dialogue about body agency and choice that's all wrapped up in this comes part and parcel with you know, when your hero is a woman. And then this other exploration of the power dynamics within society of class, working class versus corporate class. The first four movies really are put in this kind of like underclass setting of you know, blue collar mind workers. It's blue collar colonists, military grunts, and of course always the corporation is the villain, always, always, always, and within that is a conversation, as we talked about previously, but who does society consider expendable workers, grunts, prisoners, and so on. It contains elements of its fear is generated from the fear of humans, not just as prey but like yes, as prey hunted, but as reproductive vessels for aliens. And because the aliens are this completely other kind of insectoid species, there is also a feeling within the alien movies of this is really rare in even horror movies. It is absolutely okay to release your genocidal urges upon this villain. It is absolutely fine to say, wherever you find this species in the galaxy, wipe it out. And that's not a thing you can say about a lot of villains, like you know, Predator. You look at the Predator series like you would it would be fucked up to like wipe out the Predators.
Speaker 1: Not so with the xenomorphs.
Speaker 2: Wherever you find it, kill it. And that's again, yeah, it's not a thing that you find in many other stories or horror stories. And then it can take is a distrust of technology, computer intelligence, and a conversation about when is computer intelligence truly dangerous? And I think what these films basically come down on is it's too dangerous when they are creative. I mean that's you see that in uh yeah and Prometheus. Uh you see that in the first Alien film. When and when is it too dangerous? It's too dangerous when it's creative, which makes it too human. Like, I hope that we get all of these elements. I think these elements are absolutely key to making Alien feel like Alien. And it certainly feels like from the copious material that's out there Joell, that we are gonna get that's gonna all of these things are going to be part of this.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and some of the Kope's material we got. We learned that Rain, again, the main character for this film, has a brother who is a robot AI and she feels fiercely protective with him. So I think immediately like we're moving from helper to sibling, huge jump, And it'll be an interesting exploration in the fine line between human and technology when you bring it into like a familial space and again not a mother to child spaces. We've seen sort of explored and raised by wolves, which is more Alien stuff, but in that sibling we're sort of both on equal footing and we're both figuring our stuff out kind of way. I'm fascinated to see what they do. I can't wait. And especially are do we have time to explore some of the influences for Alien, And we kind of talked about, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Sure, let's talk about it. Let's talk on it quickly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And we talked about some of the films that we were gonna talk about, some of the films that influence Alien. I think we both watched them exclamation point recently, which is it's crazy to watch them now. Nineteen fifty four's Academy Award winning sci fi epic we didn't know it won an Academy one, an Academy Award for Special Effects.
Speaker 5: Okay, fair because those ants looked real good radioactive ants who are grow to monstrous sizes because of the nuclear testing that's going on in the New Mexico desert attack and all manner of highjinks happen.
Speaker 2: And if you're a fan of Aliens in particular, watch them and you will be like, holy shit, there's a lot of stuff from Aliens in this.
Speaker 5: I don't want to call it a shot for shot remake, but I will say heavily influenced. We got a young, shell shocked girl. We have experienced scientist lady nobody trusts. We have military grunts who are slash police. It's more like a police FBI situation, but basically who are like, no one's telling us what's going on, and we need to protect ourselves. And then we also have a great disdain for the rest of human life because they refuse to tell the public what's going on.
Speaker 1: And they're just like, they're just like fuck it, and we're not gonna tell them.
Speaker 5: Go to you if you discover what's happening, because they will just lock you up in a mental institution. They're like, oh, we're just gonna keep up. A bunch of sailors on a ship they saw the ants, so they can't come ashore. How many supplies do they have, We're not sure, didn't check, but they can't come back. I was like, the disregard for human life, but it's so kind of it's a really good movie. I'm glad I watched it, and it was interesting to see sort of the ways that's all about atomic power and what is the lasting impact and effect on the human race and our planet, and so to sort of look at it from that perspective and then see what Aliens did, which is like, what is the impact of this corporation constantly sending these grunts out into space to die as cannon fodder? Essentially, I really appreciated sort of the evolution of this conversation, which again really inspires me to be like, I hope we continue to see the evolution in Romulus.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The interesting thing about them too is you know, the hero is a dude, and so therefore you get this kind of more fatherly thing. But you are absolutely right to put your finger on motherhood being like such an important part of these alien films. The first film, it's you know, Ripley is the only one who gives a shit about the cat. You know, in this very motherly way, risks her life to get the cat, and that is part of why you love her. You love her for that, you understand that everyone else would just be like, fuck the cat, not Ripley. Then in Aliens, you know that's Newt is basically her child. Like that that is like overt and is not only just her child, but she's in a very real way balancing like being a mother and being this authoritative voice that hardened space marines are like, no, we're going to do what you say because you know better. So it'd be very interesting to see if that stuff is in there. Next up there is Dark Star, which has a lot of really interesting connections to the Alien franchise. First of all, was written by Dan O'Bannon wrote Alien the script, the original script for Alien movie. It was kind of like a co written by director John Carpenter. And Darkstar has a lot of First of all, that it was made for like sixty thousand dollars as a student film in nineteen seventy four at USC. It somehow got a limited film release and has a lot of the themes that you see in Alien later, including this kind of exploration of space as a place where workers are sent out into and for completely forgotten about. These These people are on like a multi year mission to basically look at different planets and you know, research whether they might be a danger to the colonial system that humans have. But also they've been doing it for like years and nobody cares anymore. Like they're just out there in space and completely forgotten about, which I think is something.
Speaker 1: We're going to see in Alien.
Speaker 2: Romulus space is a place where you send people out there and then you don't ever think about them again.
Speaker 5: Not only can nobody hear you scream, but nobody cares if you come back.
Speaker 1: Look, nobody cares if you come back.
Speaker 4: Nobody cares.
Speaker 1: Nobody was a shit, You're just out their mind.
Speaker 5: Nobody cares, get us our resources or die. Honestly, Yeah, I man, it's been really a fun week as we've done this deep dive on all of the not just impact of Alien, but sort of its place in cinematic history. I think this movie is going to be really important in the franchise because the past couple of films that have been more fiction director have been they have been as well received as earlier projects, and so I think with this new direction, a return to horror, a fresh director, a bunch of fresh new faces, and by starting young, you have this ability to potentially age into an evolve like we could potentially be Falling Rain for many movies. I think it's like a nice soft reset for the franchise, not a hard rese or not rebooting or retooling, but a return to the things we loved and an advancement in visuals that spells really good things for Alien.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I think just being able to have the series as a continuation of the storyline, both being able to expand the lore, you know, coming in sort of in the middle of the timeline instead of like way far out Prometheus, like I'm not really sure what the direct connection is. It plugs you right back into that central story, but again doing something different from Ripley, which is nice. It gives us a little bit of space without alienating the things that we loved about the franchise.
Speaker 2: Why is this film important? Why is Alien important? Why is it important to you? Jo, I'll say why it's important to me. I think it's important to me because I think the Alien franchise, when it's at its best, explores the things that we talked about class power dynamics, gender dynamics in a way that is both incredibly entertaining and then really rewarding to think about the more you think about it. And so I think if that if they can capture that where it's not just like a pulse pounding horror in space action adventure gore fest, but an exploration of like the people and things that we think are expendable in our society.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, I really like about Alien and the elasticity of the storytelling, right, And you can, like a lot of people hate AU three. I love Three. It's so weird and bizarre. It's in a great film, No, but it was a film that allowed itself to be weird and to try. And I think even to Prometheus again, a whole bunch of people didn't like Prometheus. I think we're seeing some people return to it and see it in a different light. It's definitely different than the rest of the Alien franchise, but I think that's something that's sort of beautiful and allows for growth and depth within. You know, if we're going to continue to see IP franchises that last decades, like that's the kind of thing need to see, is elasticity and storytelling. All these things get boring really fast. And I'll also say, like to me, to this day, we don't have enough characters that are fucking awesome as Ripley, like Ripley oh Man to be a woman in business, Like I loved her as a kid, but now watching her talk to men, she's like.
Speaker 1: I know what I'm talking about.
Speaker 5: But then also like, why is the corporation right this way, Like, none of this makes sense. You guys don't care about people at all. How is that possible to see her constantly go up against these struggles and not you know typically and again, tears are fine, but we just want to see them all the time. Like, Ripley never dissolves, she never collapses in on herself. She's like a endless reservoir of power and she survives it. And she's like a final girl who's totally kick ass and awesome. She's the best final girl in my opinion.
Speaker 1: I love Ripley.
Speaker 5: And so for this franchise to keep going, to keep trying to craft dope incredible women like that, like, it means a lot to me. I value it a lot. And yeah, I'm excited for these new iterations. I think we're gonna really you see some really kick ass kids. I'm excited for them.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's end with our box office predictions. What do we think opening weekend Alien romulus? What do we think the number is going to be?
Speaker 1: Joelle?
Speaker 5: So the conservative estimate is between thirty and fifty million dollars, which seems completely reasonable, but given Twisters and it's success coming off of a franchise that not everyone was sure if people still wanted more, right, they were like, is this a thing people are actually gonna come see? It has some fresh faces, some you know, people that we know, but it's I really feel like we could be looking at a big opening weekend. So I'm gonna go a little bit outside of conservative and say, like seventy five, Twisters did eighty one point two five. Wow, I'm gonna say Alien Romulus does seventy five.
Speaker 2: I So the budget, it's hard to track on budget info about this movie. It was filmed in Hungary for cheap, but not like sub one hundred million dollar cheap. That said, I think the Twisters analogy is an interesting one. I wouldn't have thought of Glenn Powell as a star, but he does have like some star power. Kaylee Spanney, you know, people know her from Civil War, from Mayor of Sound, from other stuff. But I think there is a notable I'm not gonna say lack of star power, but it's not a star driven film and maybe never has been. I'm gonna say, ooh, I'm gonna put it at forty five, but like that's gonna be framed as a success.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm gonna say forty.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think he does thirty five. People will think of this as a successful Yes, Like it's horror. Late summer August, box office can sometimes be pretty slow, so uh yeah, but I'm really hoping but they're gonna be in see It's like I was telling you before, like my dad is Alien obsessed, loves the franchise. He hasn't been to the theater since OPENHEIMWERG. To be fair, my dad built his own movie theater in his basement. So he's like, well, I want to go to the theater. I have one at home. Yeah, he's he's been a long project, but he's like, I'm gonna go see it in the theater. I want to see it with an audience. I think horror sort of demands that, and so I'm hoping that brings a lot of people to the theater this weekend.
Speaker 1: I can't wait to see it.
Speaker 2: Coming up next on an X ray vision tomorrow. In fact, Rosie is sitting down with You Joel super producer Joel for deep Dive on the interview with a vampire television series, the sexiest most vamping series on television, including an interview with Starr Sam Reid and to the next week for our Alien Romulus Reaction pod. That's it for this episode, See you next time. X ray Vision is hosted by Jason Ken, Supsion and Rosie Knight and is a production of iHeart Podcasts. Our executive producers are Joelle Smith and Aaron Kaufman. Our supervising producer is a Boo Zafar. Our producers are Carmen Laurent and Mia Taylor. Our theme song is by Brian Basquez.
Speaker 4: Special thanks to Soul Rubin and Chris Lord, Kenny Goodman and Heidi on Disco Modera