Speaker 1: Welcome to episode number four nineteen of the Marine Layer Podcast, live from Queen Anne Beer Hall. The Mariners salvage the series against the Boston Red Sox.
Speaker 2: But it was not good and we'll talk about it.
Speaker 3: Reminder of you, guys, just before we start this podcast episode, do us a couple favors. Make sure you go download these audio episodes if you're listening, and you go rate and review five stars. If you're on YouTube, make sure to go hit subscribe, drop a like, leave a comment. You can find us on our website. Everything's there at marine layerpod dot com. Between all of our merch Patreon episodes are all there again, that's marine layerpod dot com.
Speaker 4: And find us on social media.
Speaker 3: We're posting everywhere every day at marine Layer Pod.
Speaker 1: Let's get it rolling, and we welcome to this episode of the Marine Layer Podcast, part of the Just Baseball podcast network, recording here on Sunday afternoon, June twenty. First, the Mariners win the third of three games against the Boston Red Sox. They end up losing two of three in the series. Let me know if you've heard this before. Low The Mariners won a series earlier this week, and then they lost a series on the weekend.
Speaker 3: Yeah, how many times in a row has that been? Now, did you actually like calculate it all.
Speaker 2: In a row?
Speaker 1: I mean it's not in a row, but they've done it like a majority of the time this season when they win.
Speaker 3: A series and then lose a series right after that, especially against the team they should beat.
Speaker 1: They had the one Midwest road trip where they beat the Twins in a series and the Cardinals in a series where we did another one of these wonderful live events that we'll talk about here in a minute. And then they had the eight game win streak. Yeah, and that's it, okay. I mean otherwise it's pretty much been status quo. Beat the Baltimore Orioles two of three in the middle of the week and then lose two out of three to eight. Just atrocious Boston Red Sox team this weekend.
Speaker 3: I mean, honestly, I'm gonna take some accountability here. How incredibly stupid on my part to say that the Mariners were gonna minimum taken out of three Austin Red Sox because I said that as we looked ahead at the schedule and we see the Red Sox coming into town, we know how they've been this year. They've been one of the baseball's worst teams. They have not hit at all. We've said, okay, this is a series they should beat up on the Red Sox, they should get some momentum built up, especially after beating the Orioles, and they should really build on this. Then on Thursday, we see the pitching matchups and we see lefty lefty, lefty, and I say, again, how dumb of me to think they were gonna take two or three. I said it too far in advance, because once I saw the three lefties, I was like, uh oh, they're they're in trouble.
Speaker 1: But even I didn't think it could be like this bad again, Like I was like, there's no way they're gonna continue to be this bad against lefties. Maybe delusionally thought, you know, you got two of these guys that are rookies. Yes they're high upside, Yes they were top at least fifty prospects in baseball. But the Mariners can beat up on a couple of these guys. They did not do that. Oh I miss I miss read that situation very easily.
Speaker 3: And getting Ranger on Friday, oh y, and Ranger swore has dominated them.
Speaker 1: He had a no hitter into the seventh inning. The Mariners barely had any hits all weekend. Even today when they won, they barely had any hits. This offense is not doing literally anything. Well, the only guy who did damage this entire weekend was dom Canzone, and now he's hurt, which we will talk We'll save that, let's talk about that later.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think I highlighted it here early on Sunday before the game started. You look at the Mariners numbers across the board against lefties. It is brutal, really batting average, their last slugging percentage, their last team ops, their last I mean team WRC plus their second to last run score, their bottom five, and hits their bottom six. So they're just not doing any damage against left handed pitching. It's toward the end of June and this trend has not gotten any better.
Speaker 1: Well, their problem is they're just not very good in any spot of the lineup against lefties right now.
Speaker 2: The only guys in their lineup.
Speaker 1: Who are a average by WRC plus against lefties, Julio is one of them. Dom Canzone is two percentage points above average against lefties.
Speaker 4: And that's it.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 1: And you notice how I didn't say the names Rob Refsnyder. I didn't say lefty killer Weston Wilson in there either.
Speaker 3: Okay, Now, let's be clear that was Sunday's lineup and their numbers against lefties.
Speaker 4: Randy's been above average against.
Speaker 1: Left he has out but that's the current state of the Mariners lineup this weekend against the Boston Red Sox against three lefties.
Speaker 2: And you know you.
Speaker 3: Can't control injuries. No, And again with Canzone, it is nice to see he's starting to hit lefties. And we can talk a little bit about a little more about Canzone and the idea of him hitting lefties more when we get to him specifically in a minute, because there is an injury to talk about. But I will say he hasn't really taken many at bats against lefties this year, so he's two percent above average, but it's a pretty small sample.
Speaker 1: And it's a lot of as we've talked about earlier walks as opposed to overall production.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 1: But before we continue, Lile, we had a wonderful event here at the Hall with a partnership with the Hall Group and Corona. We watched the game with a bunch of fans today able to watch a win, which was always fun, got to drink some Corona give away, some awesome beer signs, and other Corona swag, so that was a whole bunch of fun. We're gonna have more of the event these events coming up throughout the twenty twenty sixth season, and we really encourage you guys to come, even if you only can come to one, encourage you to come check it out and watch the game with us at one of these hall locations. We'll actually have one two weeks from now July fifth, for an afternoon game against the Toronto Blue Jays at Oxtedal Hall, but down by the ballparks too, if you're already going to be down there, that one will be super fun.
Speaker 3: But we'll be doing a postgame podcast after just like this, So if you're at the game on Sunday, I want to come hang out after the game, you can do that.
Speaker 1: Too, and you can listen to us live like people are right now and want to tell you guys about the Corona family of brands and what Corona does with the Mariners inside the ballpark. You've probably seen it if you're walking around the concourse on the left field side, you can see the newly re modeled Corona Beach Bar. You can also check out the Corona family of brands while you're at the ballpark. Corona Premiere which is the lighter than light option. You have Corona Sunbrew, which is the easy drinking flavored option. Corona Na is the only true non alcoholic option of Corona beers. And then you have Corona Extra, which you can see right here in front of us if you're watching on YouTube, is the option that takes everyone back to a beach or to the ballpark. Check out Corona the next time you're at a Mariners game. So this series this week, I just got to put it into context for people because as we're in the eighth inning and yeah, the Mariners are winning, but at this point they've already lost the series. So I'm sitting there and thinking, like, do we have to go through this again where the Mariners are winning a series during the week and then they're losing a series on the weekend. So I just have to go back and I need to remind myself this season what it's like after the Mariners win a series. So we got to go for the first Mariners series win of the season. That was Friday April tenth through Monday April thirteenth. That four game sweep against the Houston Astros, first series win of the season. They followed up and they get swept against the San Diego Padres. Then the Mariners return home face to Texas Rangers. They win two of three. Then what do the Mariners do. They host the A's and they lose two of three. Then there's that Midwest road trip where they go to Saint Louis and then they go to Minnesota where they win each of those two series, and then they return home and get swept by the Kansas City Royals.
Speaker 2: The Mariners then right after that Royal series.
Speaker 1: Win two out of three games against the Atlanta Braves and then go on the road and lose two of three to the Chicago White Sox.
Speaker 2: Sensing a theme yet.
Speaker 4: Lyle, I'm starting to sence it.
Speaker 1: So then after that series lost to the Chicago White Sox, they go to the Houston Astros and they win three of four, only to return home and get swept by the San Diego Padres. After that Padres series, they win two out of three at home against the Chicago White Sox, go on the road to the face a bad Royals team and they lose two of three.
Speaker 2: They go to the A's in a series that at.
Speaker 1: The time, if the Mariners won, they would have ended up in first place as they are right now, which is true even after this series this weekend, and they sweep the Aights. This is the start of the eight game win streak where they sweeped the A's. They sweep the Diamondbacks, and they win two out of three against the New York Mets. Then the Mariners go on the road to this last road trip and they lose two of three to the Tigers. They split against the Orioles, and they lose two of three to the Nationals before coming home winning a series against the Orioles and then losing a series to the Boston Red Sox. Sounds like groundhog Day a little bit. I've referenced that a few times so far this season. But with a five hundred team, there's gonna be a lot of the same things. Or you win a series and then you lose a series, and then you win a series and then you lose a series. And this has just been part of the twenty twenty six Mariners brand.
Speaker 2: So far.
Speaker 3: I was about to say that sounds like a five hundred team. Unfortunately, a five hundred team probably doesn't get into the playoffs now in this year's American league, who.
Speaker 2: Knows, especially the American League.
Speaker 3: West, because I think the A's just lost again today as the Mariners sitting there to win all that game, they were up and I think Zach Netto hit a home run in the ninth I know that happened. What ended up being the final score here I'm looking right now as we speak, final score was, Oh yeah, the Angels won nine to seven.
Speaker 2: Oh, there you go. So the Mariners now have a two game leading first.
Speaker 3: It's incredible, isn't it? And they're one a half game, one game over five hundred with a two game lead in first place.
Speaker 1: Look, we have begged for a terrible American League West at some point, and we've got one.
Speaker 3: But how about a terrible American League West where they're ten over five.
Speaker 1: Hundred, where they wrap up the division by like the first week of September.
Speaker 4: Be amazing.
Speaker 2: That would be very relaxing.
Speaker 3: I hope they still do that at some point. There's still time for them to do that. But as we've talked about we're sitting here at the summer solstice. We're about three months into the year, and it has been a lot of groundhog Day. There's been a lot of series that have been inspiring, but almost seemingly never followed up by another inspiring series. It'll be sloppy play and missed opportunities and games that turn into losses against teams that you should.
Speaker 1: Be the most frustrating thing from this series that we could feel while we're at the ballpark. And it's something that really stuck for me on something you mentioned on a previous podcast episode about the vibes of this team being off and that you just weren't you didn't feel good about what you were seeing on the field or experiencing at the ballpark. And I was kind of like, you know what, Like, I think the baseball will turn around regardless of that, and here we are a week later has not turned around. But also, like I tried to pay closer attention to that this weekend at the ballpark, I kind of felt.
Speaker 3: That something just feels a little off. I don't even know if there's a perfect way to explain it, but I mean, is it is it cohesiveness?
Speaker 4: Is that what it is?
Speaker 2: It can be.
Speaker 1: There's certain factors that we watch on the field, whether it be just the offense itself and executing a plan again at the plate against a left handed pitcher, which this lineup cannot do and that definitely cannot do consistently. And there's the defense, which I mean, we watched Connor Joe drop a ball in the outfield yesterday, we watched Naylor somehow miss an underhand throat of Logan Gilbert at the bag today.
Speaker 3: He had multiple errors this weekend. He is he has had a tough go of it through three months, Josh Naylor.
Speaker 1: And then that's on top of all the other stuff that stacked up this season with watching Randy Rose Arena in the outfield, and then the lack of range from all their other outfielders with Julio and Center and Railey and Wright and Canzone had a diving catch today, but also it's been Canzone as well in the outfield. All of these things sort of stack up, and then on top of that the base running issues. There's the wild pitches this weekend as well, which there were multiple, and there's Red Sox riders Sweeten like, oh my god, another wild pitch for the Mariners. This has happened all the time, Like these things just just keep.
Speaker 3: Happening continuously, and you're waiting again as we're three months in to say, when does this turn around. It's funny it took this Mariner's team essentially until the final three weeks of last season to be the team they were really supposed to be. I mean, remember what we were talking about in early September when they lost to the Rays that had that series in Tampa where they had already parlayed a bunch of losses, and we're like, oh my god. Yeah, We're like, is this gonna end or they just gonna free fall their way out of this? And then the final three weeks they turned it all around with expectations like this, I'd like to think it's not gonna take till the final three weeks. But we're still sitting here as we near the end of June and we're still waiting, man. And honestly, I mean, if you want to come back to the vibes being off conversation, which again something does feel slightly off to me. No, I don't think it's the Call and Randy thing. I think again, that's water under the bridge. I I don't know how much of the piggyback thing factors into it. If everybody's on board with this current version of the piggyback, the six pitchers, then that probably doesn't factor into it either. But again, something just does feel a little bit off. And again it like part of it might just be the expectations and the expectations they know they've set for themselves and everybody knows they're not.
Speaker 1: Living up to it right now, and the pressure can build. There wasn't as much pressure last season. I think the Marriders were what fifty percent to make the playoffs last season, so when they made the playoffs, it was a really fun story. But the players on the roster, while they think they're going to make the playoffs.
Speaker 2: They know there's not.
Speaker 1: The expectation going into the season was if you don't win a World Series, we're going to hold you to the fire and you can play a little bit more freely that way. But this season, the expectation is to make the World Series. And unfortunately, this team is in the exact same spot they were at last year. At this on this day, Lyle, they were one game above five hundred last year. They're one game above five hundred right now.
Speaker 4: Listen.
Speaker 3: We asked them not to go back below five hundred at any point and they haven't done.
Speaker 1: It, and they done it. They did do that. I want to go back to that piggyback thing you mentioned. So, yes, they did agree agree to it. Maybe they felt good in the moment, but hear me out. They watched the piggyback again on Friday, and then some of the guys in the dugout who are all going to piggyback, the two who were not pitching on Friday night, Logan Gilbert, George Kirby, Brian wu Emerson, Hancock, they look, they watched the result on Friday the first time. The piggyback really didn't work, and you're like, oh, why are we doing this again?
Speaker 3: Because they want to keep all their starters happy and don't want to yank anybody out of the rotation.
Speaker 1: Do we think the Mariners are just waiting for Luis Castill to offer to go to the bullpen like JP Crawford offered to play third base.
Speaker 4: That's a great question.
Speaker 3: If the answer is yes, he hasn't done that, and why would Louis want him willingly go to the bullpen.
Speaker 1: I can't blame him if he doesn't want to. He's just start. He's always been a starting pitcher. He gets paid to be a starting pitcher. Why would you purposely devalue yourself by going to the bullpen. Now, what he's doing on the mound is not really building up his value at all. He was not very good on Friday. That was a pretty sizable reason why the Mariners lost that game. Sands the offense, but it doesn't build a whole lot of confidence in the decision that the group collectively made when the first the first iteration of the new piggyback doesn't work and it's not good.
Speaker 3: I mean, dude, Bryce Miller on the day on Saturday, was it sixty six pitches?
Speaker 1: Sixty six pitches, one run through five innings and they yanked him. And back to Red Sox writers who are probably getting a kick out of this. They're watching they're watching the Mariners and they're like, oh my god, Like the Red Sox had to have been thanking the Mariners for pulling Bryce Miller after that after sixty six pitches.
Speaker 3: Yeah, by the way, I know the Red Sox didn't exactly put their A level bullpen guys into the game.
Speaker 4: On Friday.
Speaker 3: You didn't see Whitlock, you didn't see Eraaldus Chapman, but Julio did hit a home run in the ninth inning to give the Mariners two runs and what ended up being a six to two loss. Imagine if Bryce Miller gets two more innings, because he's sitting at sixty six pitches, two more innings probably roughly puts him at ninety. You could even argue you could throw an additional inning after that. But let's be more on the Lenian side and call it seven. Let's say it goes seven innings. You go to one of your lefties in the eighth, maybe you go to Bizarto in the eighth. Then all the sudden it's a closer game, and then maybe Julio runs into one and all of a sudden it's a tie ball game. Yeah, but no, because Luis Castillo has to get his innings and has to get his work in. In this piggyback, they pulled Bryce at sixty six pitches, put him in the game, and in four innings, Luise gives up four runs on seven hits and essentially puts the game out of.
Speaker 1: Hand, and now instead of Luis Castillo having to be the one to get shorter outings, from here on out, it's going to be the other four guys pitching less and Luis Castill pitching more, Which, yeah, doesn't sound good When I say it like that, it definitely doesn't feel as good. When we were talking about the new version of the piggyback earlier this week now.
Speaker 3: We said we liked it mainly because everybody was on board with it, and we're like, okay, if players are not going to be pissed off, that's important. And ultimately we said, of the three things they'd so far tried, which one sounded the best?
Speaker 4: Sure of the three options, this one.
Speaker 3: We still have also said throughout the entirety of the season, just go with the five man rotation. It's never wavered from the two of us. We have said countless times, just go with the five man rotation. Of the three options, we said, Okay, this one, I guess sounds the best of everybody's on board and guys aren't gonna lose a majority of their innings. But overall, man, this is just so much jumping of hurdles to try and keep a guy happy that, by the results, has an ERA that sits at five point two to two and is consistently not winning you baseball games.
Speaker 4: This is a lot of jumping through hurdles for this.
Speaker 1: It seems like misaligned priorities is what it seems like. Yeah, and it could be priorities with not even just Louis Castillo and the roster could be with other guys on the roster as well, because well, it's a last place team you're facing this weekend. Especially when your team is struggling to get consistent good play from series to series, you want to give yourself the best chance to win a game. And it does not feel like on Friday the Mariners gave themselves the best possible chance to win win themselves a game, which is a little frustrating from a fans as they're sitting here and they say they're trying to win as many games as possible.
Speaker 2: With these decisions. It doesn't really feel like yet.
Speaker 4: Now at times it doesn't.
Speaker 3: It's not like the team that's been built can't win a lot of games. I mean, we talked about obviously, the team that was put on paper at the start of the season is a really really competitive team. But now that we're seeing results play out like this, and you have data through three months that says, okay Man Castillo has just continued to struggle in the starter's role, in the piggyback role, etc. You are taking away innings from Bryce Miller, who has been arguably your best starter this year, to keep giving innings to a guy that just hasn't been good enough. No, he has not been as good as the other five guys in the rotation, You continue to give him the innings and it keeps costing them at points. It's funny, for all the injuries the Mariners have had, they haven't had injuries in their starting rotation. So they keep getting faced with these situations because they've never even really had the chance to go to a five man rotation because none of them six guys since Bryce Miller's gotten back have gotten injured. No, So they keep getting forced with decisions like this, and unfortunately these decisions have costed them at times, and it feels like it was part of what costed them on Friday. The offense being essentially not existent and almost getting no hit is a major part of it. But the piggyback stuff is not health either, and we have never been fans of that. Though.
Speaker 1: It's not just Louis Castillo's fault again defense, base running offense that is wildly inconsistent, especially against lefties. It's literally all over the place with how this team has not been consistent. But it is easy to pick on Louis Castillo because he frankly did not perform and the headlines have really been about him for most of the season. We got more to talk about with this series, specifically guys underperforming, but before that, let's pause here for anad. We always want our listeners to be informed about the game of baseball, and the Mariners, believe it or not, there was a time where we had to learn what catch probability was or why a manager only uses his closer in the ninth inning, and it's our goal to make sure everyone understands these things when they listen to us. You can think about accidents and Davis Law Group the same way. They want you to know your rights in the case of an accident. That's why Chris Davis, founder of the Davis Law Group, wrote a series of Washington accident books. He turned common questions into easy to understand books. To help people navigate the process, and they've given away over one hundred thousand free copies to people across Washington. They want you to be informed.
Speaker 5: Davis Lawgroup has been representing accident victims since nineteen ninety four. They're one of the top rated locally owned personal injury firms on Google, and their in house investigation team can handle complex cases and will prepare every claim like it's going to trial. They only take cases when they believe they can truly help, and you don't pay a fee unless they get you a result. If you've been injured and want to better understand your options, you can request a free, no obligation case evaluation with their team. Just click the link in our bio or visit DLG sattle dot com slash baseball to learn more. That's DLG sattle dot com slash baseball to learn more.
Speaker 3: Summer always changes how I get dressed. I want clothes that are lighter and more breathable, things that are easy but also still put together. That's why I keep coming back to Quins. They focus on high quality essentials that look and feel amazing. Think breathable linen and soft organic cotton, well made basics, but without the luxury markup. It's that rare balance where everything feels elevated but still effortless. Quince European linen pants and shirts are the perfect warm weather upgrade to add to your rotation, starting at just thirty four dollars. Their teas are soft and easy to wear, and their lightweight cotton sweaters are perfect for cooler summer nights. Everything at Quints is priced fifty to eighty percent less than similar brands. They work directly with ethical factories and cut out the middleman. That way, you're paying for quality, not brand markup. Quins goes way beyond clothing. Custom upholstered sofas, ceramic cook wear, and premium bedding are also additional options. It's the kind of brand that you end up recommending to everyone for everything. Personally, I'm a big fan of the men's T shirts. I like to wear a lot of T shirts during the summer, specifically well fitted T shirts that are also light for the warm weather, and that's what Quins offers you. They're well put together, they're stylish, and they're perfect for those summer months. Elevate your summer wardrobe. Go to quins dot com. Slash Marine Layer for free shipping on your order and three hundred sixty five day returns now available in Canada too. That's quins dot com slash Marine Layer for free shipping and three hundred sixty five day returns quins dot com slash Marine Layer.
Speaker 1: Okay, So the storyline coming out of this series and what I proclaimed going into this weekend, I thought this would be the final series that Rob Refsnyder plays for the Seattle Mariners because the Red Sox were lining up three left handed starting pitchers and Rob Refsnder we knew was going to be in the lineup for all three of these games and he's gonna get a great opportunity to be let off on Friday. He hit fifth both yesterday and today. Rob Resnetter ended the series with one hit over the course of the weekend and didn't look part particularly competitive doing so. The thing is he might have extended his stay on the Mariners roster because dom Canzone ends up hurt here on Sunday.
Speaker 3: I will say, as we're sitting here recording on Sunday afternoon, waiting for a lot of updates, the update on Canzone is from Adam Jude. He downplayed his hamstring issue after the game, and he will travel with the team to Pittsburgh. Dom's words were, I'll be all right. So not a ton of words from Dom. I wasn't really expecting a ton of words.
Speaker 2: He not a guy of many words.
Speaker 3: But it doesn't sound like if that's the truth, it doesn't sound like it's gonna be an extended thing. The Mariners have an off day on Monday, then they'll face the Pirates for three on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, so maybe Canzone gets an extra game off on Tuesday, But it doesn't sound like he's gonna need an eyel sent And if that's the case.
Speaker 1: Maybe maybe then maybe then maybe my proclamation at the end of that is wrong, because I did think until Canzone pulled up at first base and grabbed his hamstring, that this was going to be it, because the Mariners have an off day tomorrow and they're going to travel, and off days tend to be the days that decisions get.
Speaker 4: Made, tomorrow being today when people are less.
Speaker 1: Than right right right on Monday, when when decisions get made. And it's been almost exactly halfway through this twenty twenty sixth season as we sit Rob Refsnyder had entering today had a WRC plus of twenty six.
Speaker 2: It probably went up because he went one for whatever.
Speaker 1: Today he went one for three, So it's up to twenty eight on this season. But they that besides the point we're at the halfway point, Rob Refsnader is a twenty eight WRC plus and in a in places where you're really struggling against left handed pitchers, the Mariners are still putting Rob Refsnyder in prime spots of the lineup and he's not performing.
Speaker 2: So at this point I am I'm wondering aloud why.
Speaker 1: This should continue further, Why, if if there is any singular reason why this should continue beyond today.
Speaker 3: I mean, I don't have a great answer, and it's tough to say, because again, like we really liked talking to Rob refcenter in spring training, really good dude, and he's liked in that clubhouse, and he's had a really steady big league career as a role player, and we love the idea of what he could bring to the table to start this season. But we're not three weeks in anymore, we're not a month in, we're not six weeks in. We're getting pretty close to the halfway point, because the Mariners said, at what forty and thirty nine? Right now we are two games below the halfway point of the season. And unfortunately, Rob Refsnider has been seventy eight percent below the league average as a hitter for this year. His WRC plus at home entering on Sunday, I can't even believe this is a real statement that we have to utter here, but this is a real number. Rob Refsnider's weighted runs created plus at home halfway through the season entering Sunday negative forty three.
Speaker 4: I mean, how it how awesome? How is that possible?
Speaker 3: Rob Refsnyder inside of T Mobile Park halfway through the year has been one hundred and forty three percent below the league.
Speaker 4: Average as a hitter.
Speaker 3: I mean, I know he had the hit on Sunday, but in a series where you were really hoping he was gonna seize the opportunity, he had one hit on a ball that it would have been a tough play but Marcella Meyer could have made. And if he makes it, he goes hitless through the series and through the weekend and then he's over. I mean, that was a he hit it hard, He hit it about one hundred miles an hour, but that was essentially an infield hit.
Speaker 1: When platoon hitters are struggling, it is really easy to say, well, this guy's not hitting because he's not getting enough consistent playing time, and rhythm is really important.
Speaker 2: Which guy totally beat? True?
Speaker 1: Rhythm is very important to hitters. You ask any hitter they would rather be hitting every day. And I know Rob reths Snyder would rather be hitting every day. But this is the role he's worked out for himself. This is a series of Rob ref Center did get to play every day, and he did get to face three lefties in a row, and he did get prime spots in the lineup where.
Speaker 2: He's not buried.
Speaker 1: I mean, he's hitting in front of dom Canzone, who's been one of the three best hitters on this Mariners roster all three days this series.
Speaker 3: Now, the lineup construction of this makes no sense. No why Dan Wilson's decided to here in the middle to late June, middle of to late June, lead him off, hit him fifth, and hit him fifth.
Speaker 4: I really have no idea.
Speaker 3: I'm not saying he can't be in the lineup because again he's on the roster a lefty was on the mound and this is his job role, this is his job. But why isn't he hitting eighth? Why is he getting more opportunities in the five spot and in the leadoff spot.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: That makes no sentence to me.
Speaker 1: After you've seen Rob reff Center's been in forty something games at this point, Rob reff Center is now played in what forty seven.
Speaker 2: Games on this twenty twenty six season.
Speaker 1: You've seen forty seven games of Rob refsnider and he still is hitting that high in the lineup.
Speaker 2: The wires are a little crossed with that one.
Speaker 3: And by the way, against lefties, specifically his overall numbers against lefties. If you just want the ops, he entered Sunday with a four to seventy three OPS against lefties.
Speaker 4: It's not even five hundred.
Speaker 3: They expected this guy's ops to almost be double this against lefties for seventy three?
Speaker 4: What you double that?
Speaker 3: I'm gonna try to do stupid math here on top of my head. So what it's eight seventy three and then it's eight thirty three, eight thirty six. I think they fully expected Rob. Oh wait, no, it'be nine thirty six. Because I can't do math. I think the Mariners essentially expected Rob Refsniner to be somewhere between eight fifty to nine twenty ops guy maybe eight fifties high eight hundred, at least against lefties.
Speaker 2: It's significantly above out.
Speaker 4: It's been slashed in half, slashed in half.
Speaker 1: That And the thing about the lineup construction this weekend is that Dom Canzone, if Randy Rose are in a healthy would not have been in the lineup at all. Dom Canzone would have been on the bench. But Dom Canzone has been a better hitter against lefties this season than Rob Refsnider has. But Rob Refsnider for this weekend, specifically in a vacuum, is still getting opportunities in front of Canzone in the lineup. And the inning where Canzone hit his home run here on Sunday, like really epitomize it.
Speaker 2: Rob Refsnyder came up. It was the second inning.
Speaker 1: Rob Refsnedder comes up, he pops out to short right field and then Dom Canzone puts this beautiful swing against Peyton Totley and Homer's the other way which Canzone has is starting to show a little bit more that he can't hit lefties than he deserves. A little bit more opportunity. So if someone were to ask us the question, guys who would hit against lefties in the place of Rob Revsnider might just be Dom Canzone if at least give it a shot, because what you're doing right now with Rob Refsninder is hurting your chances of winning baseball games.
Speaker 3: I mean, at least give it a show for a few weeks, and if it really doesn't work, there could be other options down the line. When Brennan Davis eventually gets back healthy, back in the minor leagues, if the Mariners decide they want to give him a shot. Maybe if by the trade deadline they don't love Canzone every day against lefties, they can still go get that right handed bat. I mean, well, they need the right handed bat regardless, but maybe they could get a couple of them. I think we're at the point where can Zone can get a shot against lefties. You put Randy in there when he's back, and we think he's gonna be back on Tuesday, and that's your lineup. That doesn't really give Rev Sneyder much of a role. By the way, you're not gonna have to worry about this for the Pittsburgh series because the Mariners are gonna see three straight right handed pitchers. They're gonna They're not gonna see it every lefties in this series. So this is a moot point for the next four days off day, three games on the road against Pittsburgh, good so, but point being when they get back to a point where they're gonna need left handed bats or sorry, bats against left handed pitching. I think I think it probably is time to give Canzone a try. I know it's been a small sample, but people have been clamoring for a while that he should get his opportunity with this, and he proved again on Sunday why he potentially should. Peyton Totley's a good arm man and he took him the other way for a home run.
Speaker 1: What is the worst that would happen if you had Dom Canzone do that? He is Rob Refsnyder and then you just like, okay, well then he's not gonna hit against rep righties, yeah or lefties?
Speaker 3: Is Canzone gonna put up a four to seventy three ops against lefties?
Speaker 4: I mean, I'd like to think it can be a little better than that.
Speaker 3: And if it's not, again then this is what the deadline's for to go get somebody eventually. This is what Brendon Davis is for. Right you would think, Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 3: By the way, I'll read a funny Adam Jude tweet here because Jude highlighted the Mariners and the Arms are gonna face in Pittsburgh. So for those that are curious this week against the Pirates, the Mariners are gonna see Mitch Keller on Tuesday, They're gonna see Braxton Ashcraft on Wednesday, and then they're gonna see Bubba Chandler, who's a young, talented right hand that has had Hills, his Hills and Valley so far this year on Thursday.
Speaker 4: It's three straight rightings.
Speaker 3: Jude tweets out the probables and then he quote tweets it and says, the Mariners avoid Paul Skeens and any left handed pitcher who they could make look like Skeens.
Speaker 2: It's a pretty good way to summarize it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I wanted to do a little bit of compare and contrast here, and I think I'm gonna be wrong. I was gonna say, well, if Rob Refsnader is hitting lefties worse than Luke Rayley, is hitting lefties. I mean, I think that tells you everything you need to know beyond today. But Rob Refsnader, unfortunately is hitting lefties better than Luke Rayley is. You don't want to see what Luke Rayley's hitting against lefties. It starts with a negative.
Speaker 3: Oh good again, Rayley's proven that's just not his role in the big leagues. Can Zone doesn't really have the sample size to know one way or another yet, which is I think why people have clamored for this. We've had Jason Churchill on the podcast and he's talked to us about this that I'm not convinced he can't hit lefties. I'd like to see a little bit more. This may be the opportunity to do that. Man. Yeah, so Mondays or Action Days, it was not a pretty series, despite them salvaging it on Sunday. I will be curious to see if there's some action taken.
Speaker 2: I would be curious to see so too.
Speaker 1: And I feel like every fan we went around and talked to this weekend, we're kind of feeling the same thing. People have been asking us this for weeks and weeks and weeks about this. This finally felt right, like this was the time that Jerry Depoto and Justin Hollander were gonna sit up there and they were gonna make a decision on Okay, we're at the halfway point. The trade deadline is about a month and a week from now, where we can what's a good word. It's not like not cleanse your roster, but you're gonna adjust your roster to know what holes you need to fill once the trade deadline rolls around in the first week of August. And this is a move I think that they're gonna have to make to do that. Yeah, great, at this point, I mean.
Speaker 3: How badly do you truly need right handed bats? Five weeks from now, if you get to see month or so of dom Canzone.
Speaker 1: Again, you still needed I'm not saying they don't, That's not what I'm getting at.
Speaker 4: I'm just saying, do you need two versus one?
Speaker 3: Like at this point they may need two right handed bats at the deadline where they need a true like everyday thumper of a right handed bat who just plays every day and a different utility guy who hits righties rather than just the one bat, Like how much do you need it?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 3: Do you need another utility right handed bat at the deadline, if Canzone can prove he hits lefties or just the one thumper. I think if you give Canzone a chance, you will have an idea of how much you need additional right.
Speaker 1: Handed bats in your life. It would depend which guy we're talking about. Like, if you gave me a name, Tej, would you rather have this guy or this guy? I could give you a better answer, like if the options were, hypothetically Wilson Contreras or dom Canzone.
Speaker 3: Like, well, again, but Contreras would be the one thumper, right handed bat that they'd really need to help stabilize the lineup. I'm talking about if they want to go out and get two right handed bats, because again, man, there is a real argument. Honestly, forget the utility right handed bat for a second. They just might need two right handed bats. We are talking about a team that, again they are last in tim ops, they are last in batting average or second to last and team WRC plus. Would you count like Glaber Torres as that No, he's more of an everyday guy.
Speaker 2: He is an every day guy.
Speaker 4: But still you might need a contrast.
Speaker 1: I feel like I feel like Glabor would be a second bat you would acquire. I would not acquire glaber Torres as like the guy. No, he's not that type of player.
Speaker 3: So okay, yeah, you go get Taylor Ward and Glaber Torres, or you get Wilson Contreras and Labor Torres something like that.
Speaker 2: Oh, yes, I would rather have glaber Torres instead of don Canto.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean agreed, right now, right now. But say can Zone goes a month and is league average against lefties?
Speaker 4: Do you need both? Still?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 4: So you just take him out completely still against.
Speaker 1: Well until cal Riley starts hitting lefties again, then yes you do need to. Okay, the guys in the lineup have a chance to prove that you don't need those two.
Speaker 2: But I'm just gonna read these numbers again.
Speaker 1: Every player in the lineup's WRC plus entering the Sunday game against left handed pitching.
Speaker 2: This is Sunday's lineup.
Speaker 1: JP Crawford is ninety eight, Cols forty five, Julio's one forty six, Naylor's ninety seven, ref Snyder's thirty eight, Ken Zones one oh two, Roebless is sixty seven, Weston Wilson is eighty four, and Cole Young is seventy like one of JP's fine, one of cal Naylor Robliss. Whoever hits in will Weston Wilson's spot. I don't think Western Wilson even survives the road trip.
Speaker 2: Oh, I would be surprised.
Speaker 3: I'll give you the name Brendon Donovan, who does not really hit lefties.
Speaker 2: No, he does not.
Speaker 1: And then Cole Young like someone in that group right there is going to need to prove something to you.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: If they do, then no, you don't need two lefties. If they don't, two righties. If they don't, yeah, then you need two righties.
Speaker 4: Again.
Speaker 3: I don't think it's crazy at this point to suggest they need two true right handed bats when you are bottom five to dead last in all these categories against left handed pitching.
Speaker 4: One bat doesn't fix that.
Speaker 3: All two bats, you would hope raises the floor a little bit man to at least make yourself like, you know, not a pushover against Lefti's.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I totally agree with that.
Speaker 1: There was some positive to come out of this Mariner's weekend, but it didn't actually happen at the big league level, and we're going to tackle the big questions around that. But before we get to that. Let's pause here for an ad. Let us tell you guys about Cozy Earth. Cozy Earth's mission is to make home the best part of your life. They send us their bamboo sheet set. They're Everywhere pant and every Day Polo for us to try, and we were really impressed. The bamboo sheet set lives up to the hype. It's Cozy Earth's mission to make the softest sheets in the world, and I think they've gotten pretty darn close. And I really like the pant and polo as well. For what I look for in everyday clothes, I'm looking for something comfortable but a little stylish as well, and I think both of these check those boxes. Just so you know, Cozy Earth has a lifetime warranty on their clothes, a hassle free return process, and a one hundred nights sleep trial on their sheets. Summer should feel easy for everyone in the house. Cozy Earth It's bamboo sheet set, Everywhere Pant and every Day Polo are meant to keep you cool, comfortable, and actually relaxed all summer long. Head to cozyearth dot com and use our code Marine for an exclusive twenty percent off. That's Code Marine m A r I n for an exclusive twenty percent off. And if you see a post purchase survey mentioned that you heard about Cozy Earth right here. I don't know if you saw lyle Kate Anderson pitch this weekend.
Speaker 4: Mm hm.
Speaker 1: And he only only through six shutout innings, lowering his ERA to a paltry one point zero two. Really disappointing for him. I thought it would be a little bit lower by now.
Speaker 3: That's a shame. What do we think he's getting demoted, doo Everett?
Speaker 1: I think yeah, I think you get Demoto to effet because he gave up a walk in the outing.
Speaker 4: Oh that's sad. Honestly not good enough, kid.
Speaker 2: It honestly is not good enough.
Speaker 1: In all serious, nick, all seriousness, Kate Anderson continues to dominate Double A Arkansas, and it's clear as day this man is ready for the big leagues. But the Mariners don't have room for him right now in their major league rotation. Even if you throw Castide to the bullpen, they don't have room in their big league rotation. I wrote down the four options that Kate Anderson has from here to the rest of the season, and I want to run through the scenarios with all of them, because people keep asking us when Kate Anderson's coming up. If Kate Anderson's coming up, why hasn't Kate Anderson come up?
Speaker 2: So let's answer all of these questions.
Speaker 1: Number one option for Kate Anderson in this twenty twenty six season is leave him in the miners for the rest of the season.
Speaker 2: Why would the Mariners do that?
Speaker 3: Because they ultimately decide they just have no room in their rotation to put them anywhere, and.
Speaker 2: Maybe they don't view them as a bullpen arm.
Speaker 3: I mean, I guess it's possible, but you would think at some point he's gonna reach an innings limit where they say, okay, instead of having him make more minor league starts for games that don't count for anything, put them in the bullpen and help us in October. So I would be very surprised if Kate Anderson is straight up not in the big leagues at all this year. But if he's not, honestly, it probably means the Mariners are not in the playoff hunt.
Speaker 1: So if they, let's say they lose eight in a row, at some point they're eight games under five hundred, they would just leave him down you think.
Speaker 2: I don't know if I think that, I think that would be a reason.
Speaker 1: To pull him up, because then they would be like, uh oh, these guys at the big league level aren't helping us. We have this stud prospect down in the miners. Let's pull him up.
Speaker 4: Who gets yanked out of the rotation? Then how do you make that work?
Speaker 1: That's a great point, but I would imagine something will have gone terribly wrong if that happens, right, if they lose eight in a row, then someone's not performing.
Speaker 4: Here's the reality.
Speaker 3: It is very unlikely Kate Anderson is not in the big leagues at all this year.
Speaker 1: I'm not saying any of these scenarios are more likely than another, but these are the four options we're talking about.
Speaker 2: So that's what I would think.
Speaker 1: I think more Kate Anderson gets hurt, then he would stand the miners the season.
Speaker 3: But I think if he's healthy, leaving him down in the miners is unlikely all year.
Speaker 2: With you.
Speaker 1: Option number two for Kate Anderson is putting Kad Anderson in the bullpen. What's the scenario The Mariners put Kaid directly into the bullpen, no rotation.
Speaker 3: I think it's the same scenario we've talked about all year. The Marriners are gonna say they need his help down the stretch. They want him in October, and they're gonna give him bullpen innings so he can help them do that and just put the thirteen best arms on the roster come postseason time to give him a chance to win.
Speaker 1: And this is something I think they would wait later in the season to do. If it was only gonna be bullpen, I would guess this would be a September thing.
Speaker 4: It's probably right late August, yeah, it.
Speaker 2: Would, or at least before.
Speaker 1: So he needs to be on the forty man roster before September first to be eligible for the postseason. So once he gets added to the forty man, I mean, I would imagine he gets as soon as he's added to the forty man, he gets pulled up to the big leagues, and I'd imagine maybe that's like the last weekend of August, if that's the case, So they let him start all those games down in Arkansas and then they put him in the bullpen.
Speaker 2: What would his role be in this bullpen?
Speaker 3: I mean, I would guess since the Mariners have loved piggybacking so much this year. They might not directly call him a piggyback arm, but they might find some pockets where they go and throw them for two innings at a time behind a five inning start from Bryce Miller, a five inning start from Luis Castillo, and they say, oh, here's two or three innings for Kate Anderson in a pocket to go get some bulk.
Speaker 1: So where he gets like a window, he gets a few days where the Mariners are like, look, you could pitch any of these three days. Be ready, you're gonna pitch in a bit of a long relief, And say Bryce Miller goes those six innings and then they put Kate Anderson in there after that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, maybe they don't use Muonnos in the ninth that day.
Speaker 3: Kay just takes back off the terminology, right, Maybe Kay just goes seven, eight, nine in a scenario like that, and then come the postseason, it's just wherever they meet him.
Speaker 2: What if they use him as a leverage reliever? Would that makes sense?
Speaker 4: Sure?
Speaker 3: But I think they would have to essentially dedicate some time in Arkansas for him before he gets called up to get acclimated to that.
Speaker 4: I don't think you can just do that on the.
Speaker 1: Fly, and I don't think it would make much sense as good as Kate Anderson has been to have Cad pitch leverage innings above the two lefties already in this bullpen, right because the two guys in this bullpen have proven they can pitch high leverage innings in this Mariner's bullpen.
Speaker 2: What level of leverage you know? That's up to the interpretation.
Speaker 1: Gabe usually gets the highest, Frere gets the next highest after that. There aren't three leverage lefty opportunities within a baseball game.
Speaker 2: I don't think.
Speaker 3: Well, by the way, shout out Gabe Spier. He was pumping the hardest fastballs he's ever thrown in his career today.
Speaker 1: There was a lot of velocity today. I mean Munios was throwing hard. Gabe was throwing hard. Logan Gilbert threw a pitch one hundred miles an hour in the first inning.
Speaker 2: I did love to see that, But.
Speaker 1: For Caid you did or did not. I did love, yet it's a really good thing. It was effective. Logan was throwing absolute bebies. There are not three leverage spots.
Speaker 2: In a bullpen for lefties.
Speaker 1: So that's why most teams only carry two, which is which makes Caid's leverage leverage roll interesting.
Speaker 2: It's not perfect, but.
Speaker 3: The point of getting him up for the postseason is again, just have your best arms on the roster and you'll figure it out from there. I'm sure whatever they dedicate for Kaid and whatever blueprint they have for Kaid, he'll figure it out.
Speaker 1: I'm sure he'll figure it out. He seems like he is down to do pretty much whatever now. When he gets up to the big leagues, I'm sure he wants to start. But this year, I mean, kid understands what is going on at the big league level and how many pitchers they have up there, and especially in your first season, as you're making the big leagues, I think you'd be pretty happy to just have any sort of big role you can on the team and just go from there.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Come next year, I mean he'll be starting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think so, all right, number three putting him directly into the starting rotation.
Speaker 2: How does that happen?
Speaker 3: I mean a lot of people are already clamoring for that, and I can't blame people. I mean, again, what he's done through thirteen starts in Arkansas is absurd. If the Mariners didn't have this absolute inf lucks of starting pitching.
Speaker 4: I think you'd already be in the big league rotation by now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, But I think the only way you see him fully committed to the big league rotation at this point is if you currently have two of your six starting pitchers get hurt, which would be bad, to be bad, I think that's the only way it happens.
Speaker 1: What if they are demoted to the bullpen? Is there any any chance.
Speaker 2: Of that happening?
Speaker 3: But even if one's demoted, then the demote too, Yeah, somebody would have to get traded and you'd put somebody in the bullpen. But again, if you trade a starting pitcher, we've talked about that starting pitcher should be traded for Trek Skogall, which is another starter I know.
Speaker 4: So I don't really know how Kate.
Speaker 3: Is a dedicated starter in twenty twenty six unless you have multiple injuries in the rotation, I think it's unlikely.
Speaker 2: I agree with that. I think it would have to.
Speaker 1: It would require a move that we've never seen from the Mariners before, where they are telling their big leaguers they're not as good as a prospect hm, which doesn't count when the Mariners were only so so, like, this is a competitive Mariners team with established big leaguers, and you'd have to tell I mean Louis Castile, the most veteran guy in that rotation, and then one of the other five if we're all pitching much better than Luis Castillo. Hey man, sorry, we like Kate Anderson better than you, which would be like, if you're trying to sign these guys to an extension, that's not really a message I think you want to send.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think that's right.
Speaker 1: Give me, give me some percentage odds for the people, because this is what people ask us for. What you think I'll give my percentage after you give yours.
Speaker 4: What are the.
Speaker 1: Odds you think the Mariners would replace Louis Castillo in the rotation with Kate Anderson.
Speaker 4: I'll go with I don't think it's high.
Speaker 3: Again, I just think Caid's role is probably gonna be as a bullpen arms.
Speaker 4: I'll say twenty percent.
Speaker 2: Okay, I would say ten percent.
Speaker 1: Yeah, unlikely, especially with the veteran status of Louis Castillo, and given right now he has an offered to go to the bullpen.
Speaker 2: I mean, I feel like that's the only way.
Speaker 4: Sure.
Speaker 2: How about Emerson Hancock.
Speaker 3: Still pretty low man less than twenty, less than Castillo. Yeah, so closer to ten, ten to fifteen.
Speaker 2: I'd probably put that also a ten percent.
Speaker 1: Bryce Miller zero, I'm with you, zero, Brian Will zero, I'm also zero.
Speaker 2: Logan Gilbert zero, zero.
Speaker 3: George Kirby, I mean, if he's on the roster, zero, but it's probably zero.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'd say it's also zero. Maybe the highest of the zeros, but still zero. So zero makes sense Ozero point five. It's like a tenth a tenth of a percent chance. That kind of puts into perspective where Kate Anderson is of getting into this rotation. Yeah, how about we talk about this last one? What if the Mariners trade Kate Anderson.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, that that's not happening.
Speaker 1: You don't think you think there's a zero percent chance of that happening. I wouldn't trade him, you think is zero percent?
Speaker 4: Here's the players.
Speaker 3: The Mariners would trade Kate Anderson for Bobby Wood Junior, not available. They'd probably trade k Yeah, they'd probably trade Kate for Bobby Wit he's not available. I would think about Kurtz I got bad news though not available, the A's will not be trading him.
Speaker 4: Well, if they offered up Kate Anderson, maybe they think about it.
Speaker 2: No, I don't think so.
Speaker 1: Okay, I mean Nick Kurtz is already the best first baseman in Major League Baseball.
Speaker 4: Other than that, who do you want?
Speaker 3: What young, inexpensive, controllable player is still out there that you'd say, I trade Kate.
Speaker 4: Anderson for him?
Speaker 2: Gunner Henderson?
Speaker 4: Yeah, maybe, I.
Speaker 3: Mean, unfortunately it's been a little bit of a tough go for Gunner in the first half. Obviously, you'd probably still think about it because you know his upside at his best as like a eight nine war player, but exactly also not available. The only players the Mariners would think about trading Kate Anderson for will not get traded.
Speaker 2: Would you trade Kate Anderson for Terrek Scuoble.
Speaker 3: No, Trading one of the big league arms for Schooble is different because you're talking about guys whose club control is dwindling. You don't know if they're gonna sign extensions, and you like the odds of Tarek Scuble giving you one shot at a World Series. Then said, current guys in the rotation giving you a shot at one to two.
Speaker 1: Okay, I like, I don't think it's zero. I think it's like one percent. I think that the Mariners could get like the perfect baseball player for them, they would do it, but it's like very very very unlikely, especially this season.
Speaker 3: I think it's very unlikely and probably zero percent for Schoble. Again, I just lifted three players. They think about trading him for Bobby wit Kurt's Gunner Henderson, and those guys are not getting traded.
Speaker 2: That's a fair point.
Speaker 1: So that puts the Mariners in a really tough position for what they're gonna do with Kate Anderson this season. As you just heard, with those options. Again, we asked about it all the time about what the Mariners should do with Kate Anderson. I don't think we're missing anything right Again, leave him down in the miners, put him in the bullpen, put him in the rotation, or trade him like that's it.
Speaker 3: You can move him up to Triple A, but that's the same thing as leaving him in the mind in the miners.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that ultimately, that doesn't affect the big league team. So what the Mariners are eventually gonna do with Kate Anderson, it's gonna be one of those four options, and I guess we're just gonna have to see this season. But right now, even if you think Kate Anderson is better than someone in the Mariner's rotation, and honestly, lyle, I think there's a case for that, you can make a case it's not gonna happen. That's not how the Mariners operate. They've never shown us they would do that in the past, and I would be really surprised if they did that here in twenty twenty six.
Speaker 4: I think that's right. Anything else we got to get off our chests.
Speaker 3: I mean, I feel bad that we went through this whole podcast and didn't talk about how dominant Logan Gilbert looked in his last two starts.
Speaker 2: He's be much better.
Speaker 3: Unfortunately, there's been a lot of negative storylines we've had to go through between this series and dropping two to three and ref Schneider and An Zone's injury.
Speaker 1: Like spending last week talking about the struggles in the sixth inning for this team.
Speaker 3: Right, Logan Gilbert and his last two outings has come out and he's flat out dominated. The third time through the order has not been an issue for him even today, like you got a little worried. In the six he gives up the lead off walk and there's the base runner on No, he flushed it.
Speaker 4: He got pulled after.
Speaker 3: Six and third and six and the third innings of really really good baseball. Aside from one swing from nad Eaton throwing one hundred. Today, he looks like he's just been more almost like what's the right word like. I mean, he's certainly been more efficient, but almost like a little bit more confident, almost like he's had a slight extra pep in the step. Stuff's been overall better. I mean, this look command's been very good. This looks much more like twenty twenty four Logan Gilbert.
Speaker 4: Let's see it for a few more.
Speaker 3: He's not gonna do this every start, but if he can put together a stretch of, you know, four of five starts where he looks like this, or five of six starts where he looks like this, I think, all of a sudden, you start to feel a lot better about where Logan Gilbert's at and what he can bring to this team.
Speaker 1: And the velocity made me feel that much more comfortable because when we were talking about Logan Gilbert earlier this season, the velocity, to me is what stood out the most from what from his twenty twenty four year And he threw a pitch one hundred miles an hour today, so that means, yeah, he's out there feeling he's feeling pretty good.
Speaker 4: Overall, it's been down.
Speaker 3: A little bit his velo as a whole total with the four seam fastball this year, but seeing one hundred today that gives you a lot of life.
Speaker 1: And Logan doesn't have a great fastball shape, so he's going to have to make up for that with velocity to make it a little bit less hittable, and he was able to do that today. So we love to see that, especially given how it was, especially how it's been up and down at points this season. But the rest of this series allow I don't really have that much positive to say. It was a really frustrating series to watch. I thought there was really a lack of energy from what I watch, especially on Friday and Saturday, and it's really a disappointing consistent trend that we're watching with this team as they go series the series and the up and they're down, and they're up, and they're down and they're up and they're down. I mean, even think about the situation of Friday and the vibe in the city of Seattle, which, by the way, shout out to the city of Seattle. On Friday, that was fucking awesome. Oh, we had the World Cup game at noon, the US one. We were down there early doing some fan interviews before the before the soccer match, and then after the soccer and then we watched the soccer match with our friends at the hall.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: But we're at the occidental location. It was like sardines in there. Everyone's buzzing, everyone's having a great time. And then the Mariners were just flat and I was like, man, that's a bummer. This had a chance to be a really great day and it just like it just felt like the energy was not there for that game.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 4: It was not as great a day as it could have been.
Speaker 3: It was about a little short because the Mariners came out unfortunately pretty flat. And that's not a knock on the city of Seattle again said it. Seattle showed out for both events. Man, it's amazing, which I gotta say, pretty tough scene for the people out there to say Seattle is dead and erotting city.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't think so.
Speaker 2: It was buzzing on Fridays. Awesome.
Speaker 1: It was so cool to say, and a lot of fans were double diping, some going going to the match and then going to the game, so that was really cool. I'd a blast on Friday, besides watching the Mariners.
Speaker 4: Same all the way up until seven to ten pm. Yeah, agreed.
Speaker 3: Well, hopefully they'll turn it around in Pittsburgh. They get three rd's and none of them are Paul Schiens, so that should help, let's.
Speaker 2: Hope, Thank goodness.
Speaker 3: Although unfortunately, the way the trend's gone, they're gonna win the Pirates series, right, and they're gonna lose the next one two.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: This weekend, the Mariners will play the I should know this off the top of my head, and for some reason I'm blanking the May're.
Speaker 2: Gonna play the Guardians.
Speaker 1: I mean, the Guardians are pretty good, so that it wouldn't surprise me.
Speaker 3: Let's hope they prove us wrong. How about a four and two road trip you win too?
Speaker 4: Series?
Speaker 2: I would take a four and two road trip.
Speaker 1: But the way you're laying that out, they're gonna sweep the Pirates and then lose two of three to the guardians because they do have to stay on brand.
Speaker 4: But that would be foreign two. Yeah, that'd before.
Speaker 1: Were going to it still counts. It would manage to check both boxes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, where you wouldn't win back to backcity, you.
Speaker 1: Wouldn't win back to back series, but you would go four and two on the road trip, which you know what, I'll take the four and two road trip if it means losing the second series of it.
Speaker 4: Sure.
Speaker 3: All right, That just about wraps up this edition of the Marine Layer Podcast.
Speaker 4: You guys know the drill.
Speaker 3: If you want to listen to the full form podcast, you can do so wherever you get your audio pods. Make sure to go download, and make sure to go rate and review and leave it five stars when you're listening. It helps a ton If you do same idea on YouTube, go hit subscribe. You see the big red button in front of you, Just take a second to press it. Then you know whenever we're posting new content. You stay updated on everything. You can also find us on our website marine layerpod dot com. All our merch is there, like the hat TJ's wearing, or the hoodies we have and the shirts we have. That's all there, So go get yourself. Some podcast merch episodes are all there, Patreon's all there. That's it marine layerpod dot com. And then on social media, we're everywhere and we're posting content every single day. At marine layer POD's t J, I'm Lyle. As always, we thank you guys for tuning in. We'll talk to you soon.